Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Preferred Warranties Inc.

Preferred Warranties Inc.
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.70/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

PWI serves independent used vehicle dealers and small franchise retail automotive dealers, as well as powersports dealerships. PWI offers extended service contract protection plans fro pre-owned vehicles throughout the United States. From the smallest budget to the widest range of coverage, PWI has a plan to meet every dealer and customer's needs. With more than 25 years in operation, we provide exceptional customer service with claims handled by experienced professional claims adjusters.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Preferred Warranties Inc. Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

My husband and I have been having a check engine light on our car since Dec. We took it to our trusted mechanic. After seeing metal flakes (which he was able to show us) in my oil. He said our car needs a new engine. We have been going through Hell ever since. He suggested that we don’t drive it but tow it to the Chevy dealership across the street because he doesn’t repair engines. When the dealership called our warranty company (PWI) they played phone tag for almost a week. We also called and was told they were waiting for us to call in order for them to speak to the dealership. When the dealership finally got through to PWI, the customer service told them we hadn’t called yet so we both had to start all over. No one at the customer service was noting the account correctly.

Finally yesterday the dealership called at 6am. The dealership told them their labor charge was $150, but willing to go down to $125, and got a message that they will not negotiate labor charge it’s $90 and needed to speak with me again. My husband and I spoke to Rob at around 7:15a who was VERY RUDE to us inform me that the dealership hasn’t called and they need them to say what’s wrong with the vehicle and the average labor charge in Vegas is $90. (Mind you I spoke to someone yesterday who told me the the average cost was $85 but he knew a show that’s in my area that $95 and they will pay him. We went by the shop when we hung up. The shop mechanic spoke Russian and do foreign engine in a hole in the wall location.)

So back to my story, my husband and I got up and drove to the shop. After pulling up to the dealership the manager Wayne showed proof that he called. I picked up my phone and called back at that very moment. I was now speaking to Chris. He again informed me at 7:58a that there weren’t any notes of the dealership calling. Chris said there were only 4 agents working today. So I told him I have at dealership so finally what did they want to know. On speaker Wayne and Chris talked about the car and Chris said PWI needed proof of the problems and an estimate of charges. So Wayne said, "Are you giving me permission to break the engine down." Chris said, "No we just want proof." Wayne said, "It doesn’t make sense unless we look at what’s wrong."

Chris said, "Ok we will hear from you on Monday latest Tuesday." I was then informed that IF PWI decide NOT to pay then I the customer will have to pay $600 (cost of the breakdown) JUST to find out what’s wrong with my car and I have metal flakes. I called right back spoke to Sky (who didn’t know ANYTHING) quickly got me back to Chris when I mentioned his name. I asked him about the $600 fee if they decide not to pay. He insured me that if there is flakes it’s most likely an engine change but they need proof. I wanted to see if they can negotiate the labor rate $125 or at least $100. As nice as Chris was I fear I will have to start all over next week. All I want is the labor charge to be negotiated and for my PWI not to have me going in circles.

I don’t understand why PWI would want their clients to go to a hole in the wall shop just to save money and one I, as a client, wouldn’t feel comfortable with. We’re a military family and I expect to feel safe when I go drop off my car if my husband is not around. Also getting the run around like I’m a criminal or a bill collector is NOT PROFESSIONAL AT ALL!!!

Hello Samantha,
      I’m very sorry to hear about the frustrations you are experiencing with PWI.
      Please let me know the best number and day/time to reach you so we can talk further about your experience.

Kimberly K

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Bought a used Truck and the PWI Warranty ($1100) and 9 months later the Power steering pump needs replaced. The warranty company told the dealership service department that the steering pump is not covered. Please READ every single line of your warranty contract before buying because if you don’t you will most likely be wasting your money. Do not make the same mistake that I made spending your money on a piece of paper that is useless.

Hello Stephanie,
      I’m very sorry to hear about your negative experience with PWI.
      Customer satisfaction is of the greatest importance to PWI. I’d like to learn more about your experience with PWI and see if there’s a way we can help.

Kimberly K

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I purchased Premier coverage for a used BMW 535i. Back in March I needed a valve cover repair which should have been covered by the policy. When the repair shop contacted Preferred Warranties they had a very specific conversation about internal gaskets and valve cover not being covered. When I recently went through the policy, it clearly stated that valve covers were a covered item. I called Preferred Warranties to inquire why the repair which had already been completed was not covered even though it should have been.

They stated that it should have been covered but since the repair had already been done, they would not honor a claim. They then went on to state that they never talked to the repair shop even though the service owner had relayed to me very specific details about the conversation he had with them. Rather than acknowledge that the car was under warranty for a repair that should have been covered and make good on the claim - the PW reps pointed to the fine print in the contract that since they didn't have a claim approved in advance, that there was nothing they could do.

The experience got worse when the call was redirected to a supervisor. The first rep accurately stated that the call should be between the service center and Preferred Warranties. The supervisor instead stated that I should have called PW about the claim that they did not enter. Not sure how I would know that they did not record the conversation and not enter the claim. While to me this looks like it should be an easy to fix administrative oversight by one of the parties, PW uses it as a rationale to deny rightful claims. This has been a very disappointing experience and I definitely will not be shelling out thousands of dollars for a warranty that Preferred Warranties Inc. has little interest in honoring.

Preferred Warranties Inc. response
        Hello Mark - Thank you for your email. I’m very sorry to hear about your negative experience with PWI.
        Customer satisfaction is of the greatest importance to PWI. We'd like to learn more about your experience with PWI and see if there’s a way we can help.

One of our claims supervisors will be in contact with you to further discuss your concerns.

Kim K

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Updated on 12/13/2019: I have been in contact with Preferred Warranty staff in regard to my Bmw repair of the timing chain. The approval of $75 an hour was raised to $100 an hour. shortly after that I was informed that the car needed a different repair due to cam damage. A few days later an assessment was made like before a the cams were damaged due to the timing chain issues. A repair that was covered. Preferred Warranties then requested oil change documentation for the four changes needed between the warranty covered oil changes and my current mileage @86k miles. The Bmw has an oil sensor that notifies the driver when an oil change is necessary. That was used for the first couple of changes. An oil change service center did not reset the timer on a visit so at the point the oil was changed @ 8-10k intervals. All of the oil changes were full synthetic.

Non digital records are problematic. Oly one service center has a digital online records available. 2 weeks in the car is still sitting. Preferred warranties is also requesting current registration. I received an extension from the DMV due to the vehicle not passing emissions... The problem they sent me to the first car repair center where the car still failed emissions at a $3K repair bill.

Original Review: I purchased a warranty from Preferred Warranties when I purchased a 2012 528ix from a local luxury car chain on 9/28/15 for $3200. On 11/20/19 I take the car to the local BMW dealer and they have to call and authorize the repairs. The car has to be torn apart to see the failure of the part at $2500 fee if the repairs were not authorized. The failure was a covered repair and I received the estimate from the dealer for $8549.92 billing labor at 180 per hour at 24 hours and parts at $3681.50 plus tax.

This is how my contract reads: "The labor required to repair all parts covered under this agreement will be paid at the industry accepted flat rate as indicated in a current edition of Mitchell or ALLData labor guides, multiplied by the fair market hourly labor rate." None of these labor guides have been made available for comparison or editions used. PWI authorized $4.582.69 not including $390 rental that was covered. In conversation with Me and my service consultant $100 per hour labor was to be covered if the repair was covered. The labor was approved at $85.00 per hour. There is a $3967.26 difference to be paid by Me. So... prior to the car being inspected PWI suggested I take the car to non dealer for repairs.

I had taken the car to a neighborhood BMW service center and they were not equipped to expose the failed part for inspection from PWI. At a waste of $1900 for other repairs that were "needed" the check engine light was still on. The non BMW service center turned out to be a waste. The BMW dealership is looking to work with some of the costs ..as of yet no correspondence from PWI Warranties on the charges or explanation of them.

Bertram,

Thank you for providing feedback about the frustrations you’ve experienced. We set a high standard for ourselves and are truly sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with our team. One of our claims team members will be reaching out to you to discuss this issue in more detail.

Resolution response: Dec. 18, 2019

After posting my prior review, PWI reached out and was able to take care of my concerns. Everyone I worked with was very nice, and my concerns were taken care of quite quickly; 15 days to full resolution and receiving the reimbursement check for the claim.
        I was a little curt with the initial claims representative (when I was told there wasn't anything they could do to reimburse my claim because I didn't get prior authorization) which I felt horrible about because she was super nice as well. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because I had to leave a negative review for my claim to get taken care of. Now understanding the claim process, I wouldn't have any issues recommending PWI to a family or friend.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I purchased one of their warranties when buying my used diesel Jeep; because it was diesel, I had to pay even more but thought that it'd be a good idea for those "just in case" moments where a single repair could potentially cost close to the price paid. I was given a brochure that listed everything covered and it all sounded great. Fast forward 1.5yrs and 40,000mi later, I had dropped the Jeep off at service for what I thought was a simple alignment (was pulling to the left). I was called the next day by the dealership while I was at work and was told it was a tie rod. I told them to go ahead and get it fixed, and I figured I'd get the information for the warranty when I got home and would get a claim submitted as the tie rod was covered under the warranty.

I go to submit a claim and was told that since I didn't involve them in the process BEFORE the repair was done, that they weren't going to cover it, even though the repair would've been covered, and they would've approved it. During the call I also found out that the dealer I purchased the vehicle and warranty through, used the warranty to fix a sensor that was supposed to be covered under NYS Lemon Law. This didn't negatively affect me, however if they had followed up with me, the customer, to ensure that I had requested the repair/that it was legitimate, I would've told them it wasn't and they could've saved money there.

Overall their process seems broken and it really is a shame. I don't think I'd be so upset if the warranty card they mailed with the policy information was clear that if they weren't contacted prior the claim would be denied, but it wasn't worded as such. With less than 3,000 miles left on my warranty, I fear I've just thrown away thousands of dollars.

Justin,

Thank you for the recommendation.

We are happy to hear our claims department was able to help you and explain coverages and the claim process.

Kim K.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Preferred Warranties, Inc.?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

PWI... well in my situation I bought a used car and in the first week of owning it the transmission went out. I took it the shop and had the shop start a claim before any inspection was done. PWI sent out a third-party inspector and then told me that the issue was preexisting. How convenient for them. They gambled on the warranty and now that they have to pay they have an excuse that it was preexisting. The dealership I bought the car from is telling it was not preexisting. I would not trust this warranty company. They are clearly in breach of contract, unjust enrichment, intentional misrepresentation and in in breach of the duty of implied good faith, needless to say I will be contacting a lawyer and seeking damages, and loss of time. Do not buy this warranty!!!!

Preferred Warranties Inc. response
        Mr. Gates, it is my understanding that PWI has contacted the selling dealer where you purchased your vehicle and they are going to work on a resolution to your situation.

Please let us know if PWI could be of assistance with helping connect you with the selling dealer.

Kimberly K

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I paid over $1200 for an extended warranty and when I need to use the warranty they gave me a transmission that was bad. Now they will not fix the problem after they gave me the bad transmission. NEVER BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM PREFERRED WARRANTIES. I am going to expose them on every social media outlet. The power of the internet!!!!

Hello Wendy,

Kimberly Krammes

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I purchased used vehicle from local dealership and opted for powertrain warranty. I was driving to work yesterday when check engine light came on and vehicle began shaking and hesitating. I was about a quarter mile from reputable service station. They identified that one of the cylinders/pistons went and needed to be replaced. I keep a photo of warranty card in phone and submitted a claim today. I was contacted this evening, about 8 hours after submitting claim. They initially tried to tell me that the cylinder and pistons were not part of powertrain followed by the customer service rep telling the repairs were conducted too quickly for a piston. I didn't know PWI has mechanics conducting customer service. The rep proceeded to tell me that it wouldn't be covered because I didn't call for prior approval as listed in my contract.

I never received any contract, just a laminated card with contact info and policy number which I didn't see to call first because I have the photo in my phone of the front of card. When I purchased vehicle, I was advised to submit a claim after repairs as the warranty covers all service stations nationwide. Although I believe that there was a communication error with the dealership, this is still unacceptable practices. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was advised I can call back during normal business hours. It appears that this company will do anything to avoid covering repairs based on my experience and other reviews. I will call to speak with supervisor tomorrow but I will be sure to let the world know that PWI engages in deceptive practices to fleece hardworking people out of their money.

Daniel,

I’m very sorry to hear about your negative experience with PWI. Customer satisfaction is of the greatest importance to PWI and we will do whatever we can to help ensure your satisfaction. A member of our leadership team will be in contact within the next 24 hours to discuss your concerns.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

If you're looking at purchasing a warranty for your vehicle, look elsewhere. Stepson bought a 2010 Audi A4 from a dealership and bought the extended warranty. The center balance shaft went out causing the engine to seize up. When we took it to the shop, they knew what the problem was through simple diagnostics BUT the warranty company insisted the shop expose the center balance shaft to prove that it was in fact the problem with the motor. This added on roughly 5 hours of labor due to body and other parts of the motor having to be removed to get to the balance shaft. Once it was confirmed by the warranty company's adjuster, they sent a used, long block motor for a replacement.

The warranty company WILL NOT pay for the extra labor for exposing the center balance shaft when it was they who insisted on it being done. Their initial response is that there is a $75.00 cap on diagnostics. The problem was diagnosed with no issues until the warranty company MADE the shop tear into the car body and motor. I was corresponding via email with a Preferred Warranty employee, Mike **, who suddenly ceased to return emails once I asked about covering the extra labor. This company has consumers over a barrel and they know it. Spend your hard earned money somewhere else.

Hello Mike

Kimberly Krammes

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I bought a used car and got the warranty. Had to have the transmission replaced. Started having problems with my right front, had a mechanic check it out and the axle had to be replaced, the strut and wheel bearing. While this was being worked on my mechanic said there was bolts missing out of the transmission, the bolt to the carrier bearing was broke. That is what caused all the other problems. The fluid was overfilled. Now the transmission job is telling me nothing is wrong with it, and Preferred Warranties is telling me they can't do nothing. The car was messed up while it was under warranty and now it's run out so they won't do anything. It's not like I can just go pop the hood and see that the transmission was put in the right way. it took time for the other problems to come up from where it wasn't installed right. I had to pay out 800.00 for this other work and I have a car making payments on that I can't drive. Warranty company is a rip off.

Preferred Warranties Inc. response
        Hello Jerry - Thank you for your email. I’m very sorry to hear about your negative experience with PWI.

Kimberly Krammes

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Preferred Warranties Inc. Company Information