Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About Preferred Warranties Inc.

Preferred Warranties Inc. offers extended auto warranties, including service contracts for powersport vehicles. Plans range from specialty to exclusionary coverage. Mechanics are usually paid directly, and all claims are paid within five working days. Reimbursement may be necessary in some cases, though.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Multiple plans
    • Powersport vehicle option
    • Available in all 50 states

Cons

• Weak benefits
    • Limited plan information online

Bottom Line

Preferred Warranties Inc. offers multiple vehicle service plans, but it only sells through authorized dealerships. Plan information is hard to find online, so you might be better off contacting your dealer for details.

Top Preferred Warranties Inc. Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Preferred Warranties, Inc.?

Verified

Verified

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

What is Preferred Warranties Inc.?

Preferred Warranties Inc. is a company that sells extended warranties through authorized dealerships. Because it doesn’t sell directly to consumers, you’ll likely have to contact a third party for pricing information, though.

Warranty coverage varies by plan, and Preferred Warranties’ benefits are somewhat limited.

Preferred Warranties plans

Preferred Warranties’ website lists six plans for cars and one plan for motorcycles, ATVs, boats and snowmobiles.

Powertrain
    The Powertrain plan is Preferred Warranties Inc.’s most basic plan. It covers your vehicle’s:
    • Engine
    • Transmission
    • Four-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive system
    • Differential
    • Seals and gaskets
    • Fluids and filters/diagnostics
    Base
    The Base plan covers everything in the Powertrain plan and your vehicle’s:
    • Additional engine components
    • Steering system
    • Brakes
    • Air conditioning system
    Plus
    The Plus plan has coverage for everything in the Base plan and coverage for your vehicle’s:
    • Additional engine components
    • Additional electrical/high-tech systems
    • Fuel delivery system
    • Additional air conditioning components
    Extra Mile
    The Extra Mile plan adds more coverage to vehicles with active factory warranties, including paying any deductible the factory warranty requires for service.
    Premier
    The Premier plan offers exclusionary coverage, meaning it's easier to list what it doesn’t cover rather than what it does. The Premier Plan does not cover:
    • Regular maintenance services
    • Door panels and handles
    • Structural framework
    • Bumpers
    • Sheet metal and flexible body parts
    • Paint
    • Convertible tops
    • Upholstery, trim, moldings, windows and headlamps
    • Anything not installed by the manufacturer
    • Hybrid vehicle battery
    • Repairs made to meet emission standards
    Budget
    Details on the Budget plan are limited on Preferred Warranties’ website, but it is advertised to be a cost-effective warranty option.
    Powersports
    The Powersports plan is for pre-owned motorcycles, ATVs, boats and snowmobiles. It covers the following parts and systems on your vehicle:
    • Engine
    • Electrical
    • Fuel system
    • Four-wheel-drive components

Preferred Warranties Inc.’s benefits

Preferred Warranties offers 24/7 roadside assistance with every plan except the Budget and Powersports options. This assistance includes:

• Mechanical help
    • Towing
    • Battery service
    • Delivery service
    • Tire service
    • Lockout help

Rental reimbursement varies by plan, and several plans’ benefits aren’t disclosed on the company’s website. See the table below for details.

PlanRental car reimbursement
    PowertrainNone
    BaseUp to 3 days
    PlusUp to 5 days

Preferred Warranties prices

Preferred Warranties doesn’t publish prices on its website, and payment information is very limited online as well. To get a quote, review the warranty contract and costs with your dealer when you purchase the vehicle you want to cover. This makes it more difficult to shop around and compare warranty costs, but it is still possible to make an informed decision if you’re willing to put your vehicle purchase on hold.

Preferred Warranties Inc. FAQ

Can I use any repair shop when I have a Preferred Warranties Inc. warranty?
    Yes. Preferred Warranties Inc. can work with your regular repair shop to resolve your claim. If you don’t have a preferred shop, it can recommend one.
    How do I file a claim with Preferred Warranties Inc.?
    If you have a claim to file, call or open a claim online before you get the repairs done.
    Can I set up a payment plan with Preferred Warranties Inc.?
    Preferred Warranties doesn’t mention payment plans on its website.
    Where can I buy a Preferred Warranties Inc. car warranty?
    You can purchase a Preferred Warranties Inc. car warranty from participating dealerships.

Is Preferred Warranties Inc. worth it?

Although an extended auto warranty can help cover unexpected repairs, Preferred Warranties Inc. doesn't always stack up well with its competition, and its reviews on our site are mostly negative at the time of publishing. If you want to purchase an extended auto warranty, it might be smart to continue researching other companies so you can make an informed decision.

Preferred Warranties Inc. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Preferred Warranties Inc.?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Preferred Warranties, Inc.?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I had a problem with my car and my Preferred Warranties policy took care of the bill and cost from the mechanics shop that performed the work on my vehicle. For the money that it costed, it was well worth what I have received back..

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Preferred Warranties is great to deal with. Jill and Neal are great to work with. The claims department is easy to submit claims to. We will recommend that Preferred Warranties is a great company to recommend service contracts to your customers.

Preferred Warranties Inc. response

So happy to hear PWI is able to deliver the service you deserve! Thank you for excellent review and your continued partnership!

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Rob who has helped me throughout the process has been a great Account Executive. I highly recommend him if you have any questions or concerns with your warranty and account. I purchased a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe and have had a few issues with the car and he was able to help and assist with the flow of my claims process.

Jesus,

Thank you for the five-star review! We appreciate the recommendation and certainly agree that Rob is a great addition to our team. So happy to hear PWI was able to provide you with the service you deserve!

Original review: April 28, 2021

I never had any problems. Very competitive rates and terms. Excellent customer service. I have frequent contact with my representative. More dealers should be dealing with them! Robert ** is great to work with.

Preferred Warranties Inc. response

Thank you for the five-star rating. So happy to hear PWI is able to provide you with the excellent service you deserve! Robert is certainly a great asset to our company. We appreciate your partnership!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I have purchased 3 contracts for my family and have had claims. PWI treated them very well. No delays in repair work. Quick and responsive and always professional. Will buy from them again. Very pleased with them.

Hi Henry,

Thank you for the 5 star review. So happy to hear that PWI was able to help when you needed to get back on the road quickly. Thank you for your loyalty.

Resolution response: July 13, 2021

UPDATE: After complaining publicly, PWI reached out the next day and asked if a 3rd party garage could assess whether the oil leaks were seepage or indeed leaks. They mentioned that they were already in touch with the outfit from which we bought the car, and they were amenable to looking at it. I asked if in the case it was determined a leak, I could get it fixed at the original garage and they said yes, however the BMW place would go over the $170/hr max that PWI would pay.

The 3rd garage conveniently found a leak in one of the two areas and we allowed them to fix it rather than the original BMW place. However, the fix was not the original fix that BMW recommended, which was a replacement of the whole part. The 3rd garage merely changed out some o-rings and charged about 1/3 of what the BMW place was going to charge.

Thus, PWI saves money by having a cheaper garage do what may end up being a stop-gap fix rather than a wholesale swap-out of the defective part. We will see whether the fix holds - I assume by then our warranty will be out of date. ;) In the end, It shouldn't be the case that being a "squeaky wheel" should get me more opportunity to resolve things in a way that befits me.

Original review: June 28, 2021

My wife brought in her BMW to the dealership, where they diagnosed two oil leaks - one in the oil pan, and one in the oil filter housing. Though neither are bad, the oil filter housing leak was determined to be spattering oil onto the hoses and belts. The dealership got in touch with PWI, who sent out an inspector. Their report couched it as oil "seepage" and therefore is not covered under the warranty. The dealership called to follow up but were unsuccessful in explaining that it was more than that.

I called PWI to follow up and make the point that mere "seepage" would not trickle/spatter onto belts and hoses, causing them to weaken and put my wife in a more dangerous situation than before. The representative was adamant that the report stating "seepage" meant seepage and that the "grime" on hoses/belts could be caused by the road, etc., and that the report doesn't state specifically that there was oil from this car on the hoses/belts. The dealership seems sure that the "grime" is based on an oil leak from the car.

As of now, we are going to forgo the fix and tempt fate. The car has the Premier plan, bought 3/6/2019 for $2450, and will be in effect until 12/2022 or 100k miles. For a fraction of the plan price, this could have been taken care of. Instead, my wife will drive a car that may have a hose/belt failure and be stranded somewhere or worse. Upsetting.

Hi Christopher,
      I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with PWI. We would like the opportunity to review your claim. One of our representatives will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I truly wish that I had checked the reviews on PWI before purchasing this policy! Now, after reading these reviews, it just substantiates my thoughts on this company even more. Their responses says that they pride themselves on their customer service, but in my opinion, just because you speak very nicely on the phone, doesn’t mean you have great customer service.

Customer service is taking care of the customers concerns with a situation. This company had no intentions of customer service. I am glad to see that some people have been lucky enough to have them meet somewhere in the middle, but in my case they won’t budge at all. I have a $0 deductible and the only thing they can say is that if I didn’t want to pay money out of my pocket for a covered repair I shouldn’t have taken it to a Ford Dealership! I should have taken it to an independent shop instead. Terrible customer service! Buyers be forewarned, you are not getting what you think you are getting when you buy a warranty from PWI! There are far better choices out there to spend your money on!

Hi Pam,
      I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with PWI. We would like the opportunity to review your claim but do not have any contract information. Please let us know the best number and day/time to reach you so we can talk further about your experience. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Kim K

Resolution response: July 22, 2020

Apparently, when my dealer contracted with PWI, they made sure that refunds would be provided. I received a check today. However, I would still recommend being aware upfront about the refund policies. They used an explanation that, although the company name has "WARRANTY" in it, it's a Service Contract. In CT, service contracts don't have to be refunded.

Original review: July 7, 2020

Paid $2400 for a policy in 2019. Owned the car for a year and traded it in. Called to try and get a refund (policy was good until 2022) and was told that in CT, I would have had to have traded in my car within 30 days. Nothing on the contract about that, could not find ANY refund information on the website. The write up is correct - you have to pay for this thing up-front and with no ability to recover an unused portion, it's a complete waste of money. I should have been refunded about $1800, but nope - they got my $2400 and thank you very much. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM AT ALL.

Preferred Warranties Inc. response

Hi Ray – thank you for updating your review. While we’re disappointed that you are still not satisfied with PWI after we worked with your dealer to make an exception for your refund, we do hope that you will consider PWI in the future.

Original review: June 18, 2020

This is the worst insurance! Bad customer service. They dig to find a reason not to cover the claim. They do not return calls. We kept calling trying to find out the status of the claim. They never called us to tell us the claim was denied because they believed the damage occurred before the purchase of the insurance contract. They never inspected the vehicle. All this was done over the phone. Instead, they called the repair shop and told them and the repair shop told us. They will not answer any calls. Do your research!

Precious,

It was recently discovered that the vehicle you purchased was not eligible for a PWI Service Contract due to the service contract being issued after the date of purchase of your vehicle. We hope this has helped to better clarify the current situation. Please contact the selling dealership directly for refund inquiries related to the subject Service Contract. Thank you.

Original review: June 2, 2020

I purchased a used vehicle from Ducky Cars. The dealership offered various warranty options by Preferred Warranties Inc. for the vehicle so I did not have the vehicle checked out by a mechanic prior to purchase. I chose a one year full warranty with unlimited miles. Upon leaving the dealership and getting on the highway I noticed that the vehicle swayed when I got above 50 mph. The next morning I noticed some stains in my driveway.

I took the car to a mechanic and a number of issues was found. A lot of them major. Preferred Warranties Inc. (PWI) was contacted and they denied the claim. They said the dealership should not have sold the vehicle in such a condition. This is part of the "agreement" between PWI and Ducky Cars. As such Ducky Cars violated the "agreement" and the warranty was voided.

The dealership refused to make any of the repairs saying that the warranty company was responsible for the repairs. The warranty company refused to cover any of the repairs saying Ducky Cars should fix the issues. There has been a back and forth and nothing got resolved. Now I cannot get my money back for the warranty because Ducky Cars says they gave it to the warranty company (PWI) and the warranty company says they never received any money for my warranty.

So, the current situation is this:

I have a vehicle that I cannot drive.
      I do not have any kind of warranty.

I do not have the money I paid out for the warranty.

In the state of Georgia there is no protection for used car buyers and these companies know that. I would not have purchased this vehicle if not for the warranty.

Hi Marlon,

Although we feel for your unfortunate situation, per your signed-contract, PWI does not cover any failure which existed at or prior to the purchase date. As we discussed during our earlier conversation, the issues of your vehicle were pre-existing prior to purchase and therefore are prohibited from PWI coverage. We did not receive payment from the selling dealer so we suggest reaching out to the dealer for your refund.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

Preferred Warranties Inc. Company Information