Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Preferred Warranties Inc.
1.58/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Preferred Warranties Inc.

PWI serves independent used vehicle dealers and small franchise retail automotive dealers, as well as powersports dealerships. PWI offers extended service contract protection plans fro pre-owned vehicles throughout the United States. From the smallest budget to the widest range of coverage, PWI has a plan to meet every dealer and customer's needs. With more than 25 years in operation, we provide exceptional customer service with claims handled by experienced professional claims adjusters.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Preferred Warranties Inc. Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Updated on 12/13/2019: I have been in contact with Preferred Warranty staff in regard to my Bmw repair of the timing chain. The approval of $75 an hour was raised to $100 an hour. shortly after that I was informed that the car needed a different repair due to cam damage. A few days later an assessment was made like before a the cams were damaged due to the timing chain issues. A repair that was covered. Preferred Warranties then requested oil change documentation for the four changes needed between the warranty covered oil changes and my current mileage @86k miles. The Bmw has an oil sensor that notifies the driver when an oil change is necessary. That was used for the first couple of changes. An oil change service center did not reset the timer on a visit so at the point the oil was changed @ 8-10k intervals. All of the oil changes were full synthetic.

Non digital records are problematic. Oly one service center has a digital online records available. 2 weeks in the car is still sitting. Preferred warranties is also requesting current registration. I received an extension from the DMV due to the vehicle not passing emissions... The problem they sent me to the first car repair center where the car still failed emissions at a $3K repair bill.

Original Review: I purchased a warranty from Preferred Warranties when I purchased a 2012 528ix from a local luxury car chain on 9/28/15 for $3200. On 11/20/19 I take the car to the local BMW dealer and they have to call and authorize the repairs. The car has to be torn apart to see the failure of the part at $2500 fee if the repairs were not authorized. The failure was a covered repair and I received the estimate from the dealer for $8549.92 billing labor at 180 per hour at 24 hours and parts at $3681.50 plus tax.

This is how my contract reads: "The labor required to repair all parts covered under this agreement will be paid at the industry accepted flat rate as indicated in a current edition of Mitchell or ALLData labor guides, multiplied by the fair market hourly labor rate." None of these labor guides have been made available for comparison or editions used. PWI authorized $4.582.69 not including $390 rental that was covered. In conversation with Me and my service consultant $100 per hour labor was to be covered if the repair was covered. The labor was approved at $85.00 per hour. There is a $3967.26 difference to be paid by Me. So... prior to the car being inspected PWI suggested I take the car to non dealer for repairs.

I had taken the car to a neighborhood BMW service center and they were not equipped to expose the failed part for inspection from PWI. At a waste of $1900 for other repairs that were "needed" the check engine light was still on. The non BMW service center turned out to be a waste. The BMW dealership is looking to work with some of the costs ..as of yet no correspondence from PWI Warranties on the charges or explanation of them.

Bertram,

Thank you for providing feedback about the frustrations you’ve experienced. We set a high standard for ourselves and are truly sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with our team. One of our claims team members will be reaching out to you to discuss this issue in more detail.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I purchased one of their warranties when buying my used diesel Jeep; because it was diesel, I had to pay even more but thought that it'd be a good idea for those "just in case" moments where a single repair could potentially cost close to the price paid. I was given a brochure that listed everything covered and it all sounded great. Fast forward 1.5yrs and 40,000mi later, I had dropped the Jeep off at service for what I thought was a simple alignment (was pulling to the left). I was called the next day by the dealership while I was at work and was told it was a tie rod. I told them to go ahead and get it fixed, and I figured I'd get the information for the warranty when I got home and would get a claim submitted as the tie rod was covered under the warranty.

I go to submit a claim and was told that since I didn't involve them in the process BEFORE the repair was done, that they weren't going to cover it, even though the repair would've been covered, and they would've approved it. During the call I also found out that the dealer I purchased the vehicle and warranty through, used the warranty to fix a sensor that was supposed to be covered under NYS Lemon Law. This didn't negatively affect me, however if they had followed up with me, the customer, to ensure that I had requested the repair/that it was legitimate, I would've told them it wasn't and they could've saved money there.

Overall their process seems broken and it really is a shame. I don't think I'd be so upset if the warranty card they mailed with the policy information was clear that if they weren't contacted prior the claim would be denied, but it wasn't worded as such. With less than 3,000 miles left on my warranty, I fear I've just thrown away thousands of dollars.

Justin,

PWI has reached out to the repair facility to review your invoice. One of our claims supervisors will be in contact with you to discuss.

Kim K.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

PWI... well in my situation I bought a used car and in the first week of owning it the transmission went out. I took it the shop and had the shop start a claim before any inspection was done. PWI sent out a third-party inspector and then told me that the issue was preexisting. How convenient for them. They gambled on the warranty and now that they have to pay they have an excuse that it was preexisting. The dealership I bought the car from is telling it was not preexisting. I would not trust this warranty company. They are clearly in breach of contract, unjust enrichment, intentional misrepresentation and in in breach of the duty of implied good faith, needless to say I will be contacting a lawyer and seeking damages, and loss of time. Do not buy this warranty!!!!

Preferred Warranties Inc. response
      Mr. Gates, it is my understanding that PWI has contacted the selling dealer where you purchased your vehicle and they are going to work on a resolution to your situation.

Please let us know if PWI could be of assistance with helping connect you with the selling dealer.

Kimberly K

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I paid over $1200 for an extended warranty and when I need to use the warranty they gave me a transmission that was bad. Now they will not fix the problem after they gave me the bad transmission. NEVER BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM PREFERRED WARRANTIES. I am going to expose them on every social media outlet. The power of the internet!!!!

Hello Wendy,
      I’m very sorry to hear about your negative experience with PWI.
      Customer satisfaction is of the greatest importance to PWI. I’d like to learn more about your experience with PWI and see if there’s a way we can help.
      Please let me know the best number and day/time to reach you so we can talk further about your experience.

Kimberly Krammes

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I purchased used vehicle from local dealership and opted for powertrain warranty. I was driving to work yesterday when check engine light came on and vehicle began shaking and hesitating. I was about a quarter mile from reputable service station. They identified that one of the cylinders/pistons went and needed to be replaced. I keep a photo of warranty card in phone and submitted a claim today. I was contacted this evening, about 8 hours after submitting claim. They initially tried to tell me that the cylinder and pistons were not part of powertrain followed by the customer service rep telling the repairs were conducted too quickly for a piston. I didn't know PWI has mechanics conducting customer service. The rep proceeded to tell me that it wouldn't be covered because I didn't call for prior approval as listed in my contract.

I never received any contract, just a laminated card with contact info and policy number which I didn't see to call first because I have the photo in my phone of the front of card. When I purchased vehicle, I was advised to submit a claim after repairs as the warranty covers all service stations nationwide. Although I believe that there was a communication error with the dealership, this is still unacceptable practices. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was advised I can call back during normal business hours. It appears that this company will do anything to avoid covering repairs based on my experience and other reviews. I will call to speak with supervisor tomorrow but I will be sure to let the world know that PWI engages in deceptive practices to fleece hardworking people out of their money.

Daniel,

I’m very sorry to hear about your negative experience with PWI. Customer satisfaction is of the greatest importance to PWI and we will do whatever we can to help ensure your satisfaction. A member of our leadership team will be in contact within the next 24 hours to discuss your concerns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Preferred Warranties, Inc.?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

If you're looking at purchasing a warranty for your vehicle, look elsewhere. Stepson bought a 2010 Audi A4 from a dealership and bought the extended warranty. The center balance shaft went out causing the engine to seize up. When we took it to the shop, they knew what the problem was through simple diagnostics BUT the warranty company insisted the shop expose the center balance shaft to prove that it was in fact the problem with the motor. This added on roughly 5 hours of labor due to body and other parts of the motor having to be removed to get to the balance shaft. Once it was confirmed by the warranty company's adjuster, they sent a used, long block motor for a replacement.

The warranty company WILL NOT pay for the extra labor for exposing the center balance shaft when it was they who insisted on it being done. Their initial response is that there is a $75.00 cap on diagnostics. The problem was diagnosed with no issues until the warranty company MADE the shop tear into the car body and motor. I was corresponding via email with a Preferred Warranty employee, Mike **, who suddenly ceased to return emails once I asked about covering the extra labor. This company has consumers over a barrel and they know it. Spend your hard earned money somewhere else.

Hello Mike

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I bought a used car and got the warranty. Had to have the transmission replaced. Started having problems with my right front, had a mechanic check it out and the axle had to be replaced, the strut and wheel bearing. While this was being worked on my mechanic said there was bolts missing out of the transmission, the bolt to the carrier bearing was broke. That is what caused all the other problems. The fluid was overfilled. Now the transmission job is telling me nothing is wrong with it, and Preferred Warranties is telling me they can't do nothing. The car was messed up while it was under warranty and now it's run out so they won't do anything. It's not like I can just go pop the hood and see that the transmission was put in the right way. it took time for the other problems to come up from where it wasn't installed right. I had to pay out 800.00 for this other work and I have a car making payments on that I can't drive. Warranty company is a rip off.

Preferred Warranties Inc. response
      Hello Jerry - Thank you for your email. I’m very sorry to hear about your negative experience with PWI.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Bought the best possible warranty from them and still nothing covered. Had 3 separate issues with '16 platinum fx4 bought 10 months ago from used dealership. Hitting the 'cancel' button! Would highly not recommend wasting your money on them.

Preferred Warranties Inc. response
      Hello Troy - Thank you for your email. I’m very sorry to hear about your negative experience with PWI.

Kimberly Krammes

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I purchased my warranty in Jan 2019 my BMW X5. The used car dealership assured me that this was the best warranty for my vehicle since it had high miles. I spent $2,905 for the Plus Coverage which based on what was listed covered everything under the hood. Last week I took to my vehicle in for service at BMW and was told that the oil pan gasket and transfer case mount needed service. The BMW contacted PWI to get approval for the repair and was told that neither was covered. I could not believe it especially since #4 on the list of coverage's is Seals and Gaskets!

When I called the PWI to question this, all I was told is that my warranty coverage does not cover the Oil Pan Gasket. The warranty coverage is very misleading in the contract. I plan on contacting the dealer that sold me the warranty and also considering contacting the Attorney General. At this point I would not recommend purchasing a warranty from PWI. T. ** PWI if you wish to contact me the last four of the vin is ** and last four of the contract is **.

Hello Thomas

Kimberly Krammes

Original review: May 24, 2019

Updated on 05/25/2019: I’ll continue to post until I get my car! What do you know, I got a call from the company promising it’ll be fixed after Memorial Day!

Original Review: I only gave 1 star because I had to post. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS WARRANTY!! I’ve filed a claim in December and still do not have my car! Getting the run around about programming a body valve on a transmission for 2007 Mercedes. The communication sucks and no one knows anything. All I get are what’s in notes and nothing more. I have been making payments for 6 months in addition to insurance premiums and was told I’m not out of money! BS!!’ When you call everyone passes the buck!! Preferred Warranties do not stand by their company!

Preferred Warranties Inc. response

I am sorry to hear about your frustration. Customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and we will do whatever we can to help ensure your satisfaction. . A member of our leadership team will be in contact within the next 24 hours to discuss your concerns. Thank you for taking the time to review our service.

Preferred Warranties Inc. Company Information