It's that easy Request Information
4.09/5
Based on 84 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Avoca, PA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1995, GWC Warranty has been providing extended auto warranties to help drivers feel safer & protected. GWC works with independent drivers, dealers & agents. GWC offers a variety of protection plans in order to help you find the one that works best for your budget & your needs. Contact us today or visit our website to learn more about our available plans.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

94 GWC Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

A loan company required that I purchase a service contract for my car and GWC was the only one they gave me. As soon as I drove off the lot, about 10 minutes, I knew that the transmission was bad. The check engine lights turned on on the way home so I stopped at my mechanic's shop and he also said the transmission was bad. The dealership did reset the code, put it on the lot knowing it had a bad transmission, and sold it to me. At first, the dealer was good until I had to make a claim against the car since they sold me a car with a blown-up transmission. I finally got it done but the warranty only covered $1,900 out of $2,600. It ended up costing me $700 on a brand-new car I just bought.

GWC Warranty response

Anthony, thanks for sharing your experience, We're glad to hear that we were able to save you from the full expense of a new transmission.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

When I bought the car, GWC Warranty had a deal going on. It was fairly priced and relatively inexpensive. There was another level of coverage that had “seal coverage,” which would have covered more and would’ve been more expensive, but there wasn't a special deal for that one. If they were gonna do a deal for everything, they should have done a deal for all the various levels.

My mechanic takes care of dealing with the claims rep. He does all the stuff he has to do to get GWC Warranty to cover the issue and they would work with him well. The first set of repairs that I had was mostly for seals stuff that they denied or a thermostat where the whole unit had gotten replaced. When I called, their reps weren’t condescending, but they were not budging from their position even though a mechanic said that was how it was always done. And that bothered me.

I've had a couple of repairs that were a little questionable as GWC Warranty said they wouldn’t cover the repair, but it could’ve been that I didn’t buy the right extended coverage. There was a repair where a part had to be replaced and since the part had a seal on it, they excluded it. I was a little disappointed in that. I expected a bit better coverage, but I don’t think they were trying to screw me by doing what they said they would cover. I also recently had something happen which they covered. The warranty's quality is not bad and I’m happy with it.

GWC Warranty response

Thank you for the feedback, Randy. If you're interested in upgrading to a higher level of coverage, you can contact your selling dealer to do so. Otherwise, we'll be here for you should you experience any other covered repairs!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

In November 2017 I bought a 2010 Cadillac SRX. Got talked in by the sales guy, yup very good sales guy. Initially I wanted a GMC Terrain. Vehicle came with a GWC warranty through the dealer that covers me for 2 yrs or 25,000 miles. In April 2018, I had a check engine light on. I have an OBD2 tester I bought from Autozone a few years back and I checked the code, that kept coming up as a P0017 code. Which translates to Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor 'B' or possible timing chain, from Google.

I took the vehicle to the GWC warranty preferred repair facility on Michigan Ave in Canton, MI (GWC warranty is honored by only couple of mechanical shops in Michigan. GWC warranty seems to be more widely used in PA where they are from and the Eastern USA). The shop held on to my vehicle for 2.5 weeks after initially quoting they will have it done in a couple of days. After repeated contacts with the GWC Warranty service center in Wilkes Barre PA by phone they somehow got them to expedite to 2.5 weeks to release my Cadillac. At that time I was informed by the mechanic that they fixed the rear hub's communication to the onboard computer and they felt that a timing chain is needed to be replaced and GWC told them they will replace the timing chain but to diagnose if it is a timing chain, I will have to pay out of pocket $550.

When I dropped the vehicle off, my ABS light was on, and the check engine. I requested the mechanics to fix those as well as check why the passenger side seat-belt feels too short. They gave me the vehicle back and the ABS light has been off thus far, and the check engine light constantly remains on. The seat-belt was not fixed, and my receipt states I declined all recommendations, however the mechanic never bothered to call me to tell me anything. And so far many months later the P0017 code comes up almost immediately if I hook up my OBD2 scanner. I've tried resetting the code and finally gave up, because it comes back on the next time I start the SUV.

Yes GWC Warranty covers a timing chain. But are we waiting for it to break before that happens? As I understand if the timing chain breaks while I am driving down the road, I lose the whole engine. Is the warranty covering me for an engine too? So you charge me a $100 deductible plus taxes to fix the vehicle, parts/labor etc is on you as the warranty but so far in my case I see GWC Warranty having declined me coverage on my ongoing issue, and I bought this vehicle with 96,600 miles and as of this writing I have 106,600 miles and the most major repair was never addressed. The peace of mind is frankly not there knowing that a check engine light is on and my $14,000 Cadillac could blow up in any moment. And should I go through GM they do not accept GWC Warranty, and the cost to replace the timing chain is $2900 out the door. Not the type of costs one expects after even buying a used vehicle with a warranty.

GWC Warranty response

Suchet, I am sorry to hear about your timing chain issues and if there was any confusion surrounding the explanation of your problem. However, a teardown of your engine is required to determine if the timing chain is the root cause of your issues. Should a covered component be the cause of your mechanical failure, the cost of that engine teardown would be covered by your service contract. As our adjuster explained, it is highly recommended to explore the cause of your check engine light, since continuing to drive your vehicle could impact any future repairs to your engine. If you have any questions or would like to speak with one of our claims managers, please contact us at 1-800-482-7357 x6111 to reach a claims manager directly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

When we bought the car, GWC Warranty came with it. I was told that they have an aftermarket warranty and there it was. When my car needed a timing chain shortly after we got it, finding a shop that would deal with the insurance was a little difficult. There was one shop that I went through and they thought it was a bigger job than they wanted to do. Instead of just telling me that, they dragged me out for three weeks. I finally found a shop that was not even on GWC’s preferred list. The shops on their preferred list are the ones who failed me. The shop that I used should be on their preferred list instead because they did the work with no problem. Other than that, if a friend of mine asks me about me working with GWC, I would tell them to do it.

GWC Warranty response

Thank you for the review, Don! I'm glad to hear that you were able to get your car repaired with little interruption to your budget. Thank you as well for the feedback on our shops network. We are always looking to improve the quality of the shops we work with and will take your recommendation into consideration as we do so.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Repairs are so expensive that sometimes you can't afford a car because of the repairs. So, having a warranty helps to defray that potential. I'm with GWC and speaking with their customer service has been fine. However, I've tried to get work done for a couple of times and every time I did, there's always been a clause that allowed them to escape with me paying the bulk of the repair.

I filed a claim for a power steering pump which is a typical thing that one would be concerned with, so how that wasn't covered and why it wouldn't be covered beat me. Also, the way I was told, the warranty would be something I'd pay for then it would take care of everything. I even paid the extra to have no deductible. My power steering pump service cost $1,200. The pump and the labor were expensive, and just one of the hoses was expensive, they only cover the high-pressure but not the regular hoses. My vehicle is a Cadillac. Everything's expensive and you want those things to be taken care of, but they didn't. I also did some research and found that they're not the top of the list in terms of warranty services. I'll never buy GWC again nor would I recommend them.

GWC Warranty response

Tyrone, I am sorry to hear about your experience. Our records show that your power steering pump was not covered due to rust that was found during inspection. Unfortunately, when a pre-existing condition is discovered as part of the failure, it is no longer a covered repair. I apologize for any inconvenience, and if you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 1-800-482-7357.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GWC Warranty?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee. One day the battery died. When I brought the car to Lake Wales Dodge they told me the battery was bad because one wire in the harness going to the battery. When they looked at the wires were exposed, they replaced. They called GWC because I thought I had a warranty. I did the comprehensive plan but GWC said the wiring was not covered so it cost me 900.00 dollars. I paid all that money for a warranty and I can't use it. What good is the warranty so I canceled the warranty. This company never abides by the rules. They nitpick at every repair. Bad company. Do not recommend them.

GWC Warranty response

Charles, I apologize for the experience you had during your repair. However, wear and tear items like batteries are rarely, if ever, covered by a vehicle service contract, which is designed to protect against mechanical failures. In the case of your battery and the associated wiring, the components that failed were not covered according to the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Again, I apologize for any confusion around this matter, and I hope we can be of assistance if you ever choose to purchase a GWC Warranty vehicle service contract down the road. Thank you for your message.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

The car that I got from the dealership came with the GWC Warranty and that was what they told me that I should get. My experience with the selling dealer was good. He gave me a lot of information, although he didn’t give me a lot of information about what was gonna be included in the warranty. We wanted a vehicle service contract for our car so that I don’t have to pay that much for any damage that’s gonna come. It’s a used car, so there are things to be fixed and I feel comfortable since having the GWC Warranty service contract.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for the review, Ani! It sounds like you're having the No Worries, Just Drive experience your dealer promised!

Original review: July 29, 2018

I never buy a used vehicle without a service contract. I always take the extended warranties and I look for the best one and the best deal I can get. We've had no trouble with GWC and it's been pretty good for us. I went with the best coverage. The contract seller was awesome and I highly recommend them. We had the water pump go out on our truck. We just called the company and they started the claim and it went smooth and easy. They got everything settled within a couple of days.

GWC Warranty response

Thank you for the feedback, Harriet! We love hearing from customers who have enjoyed a No Worries, Just Drive experience!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Where I have gotten my car, GWC Warranty was the only option. My car was used so I wanted to make sure that I was covered should there be a problem. It’s scary driving around a nice car without any warranty. I have a BMW X5, so there’s a lot of technology in it, and the dealer suggested that I get the technology package. She had a lot of information about it and had brochures. And when I had a problem with my air conditioning, the dealer was the one who talked to all the people. GWC is doing a great job. Also, the cost kinda leveled out. I was going to have to pay $1,800 and I only had to end up paying the taxes, so it helped me tremendously. If you are to get a used car, call GWC to see what they will be able to do.

GWC Warranty response

Thank you for the feedback, Sierra. It's great to hear that your BMW was covered and you can enjoy it worry-free!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I bought a Mercedes and it’s really expensive to fix. GWC Warranty was one of the options for a service contract and they had the best options. It covered a myriad of stuff that other ones didn’t. I purchased it right through the dealership. A friend of mine that owned the dealership. I sat down, talked with him and he walked me through everything. Also, the cost is very fair. When I heard what the dealer’s prices were, it was totally opposite. I really don’t have to worry about my vehicle because I know it will be taken care of.

When I brought my car down to the local Mercedes Benz dealership they were gonna charge me an exorbitant amount of money so I called GWC because I know you can use aftermarket parts. The lady that helped me out was phenomenal. She walked me through every single detail of what I should and shouldn’t do, and gave me all the different options as far as parts replacement and everything else. It was fantastic. GWC Warranty is a very capable, understanding, and extremely helpful company. I’d buy another service contract through them again if I have to.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for sharing your experience, David. Should you have any other repair needs, we'll be here to help!

Original review: July 16, 2018

I always buy a warranty when I buy a used vehicle and this time, GWC Warranty was the best one they had at the lot where I bought my car. The dealer had what I was looking for at a decent price and with how I had gotten it all set up, all I had to pay for were the taxes which was great. Also, the service was a lot better than I thought it was gonna be. I had GWC before and I had problems with them then but it was so long ago. When I had the lower ball joint fixed on the truck, the shop was the one that talked to GWC and from what they told me, the people at GWC seemed friendly. GWC got the stuff done and over with quickly too. They did a good job.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for sharing your No Worries, Just Drive experience, Clint! We hope you enjoy your vehicle for many more miles to come!

Original review: July 15, 2018

I bought a used vehicle and I had my garage look at it. They said it had some issue but it was a good price. I wanted to mitigate my risk so I went ahead and got the GWC warranty. My mechanic dealt with the major issues that were there at that time. We got that handled as soon as I handed over the vehicle to my daughter. A bunch of the engine lights came on so I took it to a dealer. Luckily I had the warranty but I still had to come out of pocket for about another $900 for some things that had to be fixed. The only thing that GWC took care of was a deferential which was part of the main Powertrain. So it was a little bit of an unexpected cost. They only covered one thing because of the kind of warranty I got.

The mechanic that did do it was reluctant to even do anything because he said a lot of those warranty places find a way to not pay at all, but he commented that he was surprised that they covered anything. So I've got somebody like him that had more experience with it that said GWC was better than average. At least they paid something. To me, I didn't know it because I know my total bill was $1,200 and they paid about $400. So I wasn't happy one way or the other but at least what I paid for wasn't $1,200. But I would tell others to get the kind that costs more and covers more if they were concerned about a vehicle that might be a little shaky coming from a used car lot.

GWC Warranty response

Thank you for the honest feedback, Gralan. If you'd like to upgrade your coverage, you can speak with your selling dealer who can facilitate that process for you.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Previously, I had an extended warranty that I had a good experience with but that one was not offered anymore. I had a used BMW and I needed to protect myself so I purchased a service contract with GWC after it was offered at the dealership. The dealers told me that they thought it was the best one and gave me a brochure as well as a list of things that were covered depending on the extent of coverage that I took.

Working with GWC's claims or customer service has been fine. They have problems from time to time and they're expensive problems. Still, the couple of times I've needed the coverage, they have been approved as I expected and I never thought they were giving me a screwing. The claims are done all through the BMW service department and I didn't have to do anything. I’m looking at replacing my car with a newer car in the next year and I’ll definitely get an extended warranty with that one which will probably be GWC. If I couldn’t have the coverage, I would have gotten rid my the car by now. If someone is in a similar position to mine, it's a good idea to get GWC's warranty.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Steven. I'm glad to hear that we were able to help you avoid costly out-of-pocket repair bills!

Original review: July 13, 2018

For my peace of mind, I purchased a vehicle service contract and the people I bought the truck off recommended GWC Warranty. I've already filed a couple of claims and then I've had the mechanic filed a couple. Usually, the mechanic will call them up, tell them what's wrong, and get the ball started. They cover the majority of the issues most of the time as long as it's in the warranty, but the mechanic is a little slow sometimes. The last claim was for an oil pump and the truck has been a total disaster. So, I'm definitely glad that I bought the warranty.

GWC Warranty response

Thank you for the review, Jason. I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble with your truck, but I'm glad to see that we've been able to help you overcome those issues.

Original review: July 10, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! Worst company EVER to work with. They take your money and when something happens that they cover. They want to argue and ** you around I have been waiting for 3 months to get them to approve the broken trans and now over a month for them to ship one. They are absolutely absurd to work with and every time you talk with someone they just lie to you saying your things have shipped and will be installed. The rental car situation is also a joke... if they ever get back to you to get one I have paid out of pocket myself for that as well for 4 months battling with them to fix what they covered under warranty and are just giving me the runaround on...

GWC Warranty response

Samantha, I am sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced. I've shared your concerns with one of our claims managers who will be in touch to help speed things along. Thank you for your message.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I figured a vehicle service contract might come in handy and my car dealer recommended GWC Warranty. We went through what would be covered but the warranty didn’t cover as much as what the mechanic thought it should have. The dealer sold me a bad car and I've taken it in for one thing already. I paid $600 out of pocket and GWC only covered $300 so I'm not happy right now.

GWC Warranty response

Sean, I am sorry to hear about your experience. If you would like clarification around what is covered on the contract your purchased, you can visit our Coverage Lookup page on the GWC website, where you can download a copy of your contract and review a list of covered components. Thank you for your message.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I had a friend who had a major issue with her vehicle shortly after she purchased it and she didn’t have any coverage, so not only did she owe the full amount, but she also had to pay a lot of money in repairs. GWC Warranty was the only provider offered by the dealership and GWC gave me a really good deal on the warranty. They took off a couple of hundred dollars and gave me a full package for the price of a lower package. It was an easy experience to sign up.

My first couple of claims were pretty easy. But with my last one, I got the runaround because GWC wouldn’t say whether it was covered or not and it was big job. It was a huge risk to jump in without knowing if I was gonna have coverage but it ended up being covered. The repair took three or four days and the job was done before they even expected.

By the time I used up my warranty, I was ahead as far as paying back the repairs. It would have cost more money than purchasing the warranty in the long run. But then, I have to have all that money upfront. You just pay for it when you buy the car over time. It’s more doable. The warranty gives a peace of mind. I don’t have to worry so much about major repairs. It’s worth doing it.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for sharing your experience, Courtney! It's great to hear that you've had a No Worries, Just Drive experience!

Original review: July 6, 2018

My GWC Warranty came with the older vehicle I got. It was for a pretty good price through the dealership I was working with. The dealer was great. He laid out that what I was getting was a used vehicle and gave me the price with the warranty. He laid out the pro's and con's and explained what the warranty covers and doesn't cover. Thus far, GWC's reps have been really helpful. They answer questions and tell me what my policy has. I asked them how to go about putting the service department through for claim regarding the alternator that went on the vehicle, they were really helpful in laying out the process. I just connected the warranty department with the mechanic and they handled it all. GWC covered what they said they were going to cover. Their warranty is worth it for the peace of mind.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for the review, David! It's great to hear that you're able to drive worry-free thanks your GWC service contract.

Original review: July 5, 2018

My vehicle has a lot of computers and a couple of things that can go wrong with it. The dealer barely had a couple of options and GWC Warranty was the better of the ones that they have. The warranty that was explained to me would cover all that I wanted to be covered. Not even a month after I had gotten the car, I had to have some transmission work done. It was taken care of right away and GWC Warranty covered all the cost except for the deductible. Moreover, I didn’t have to deal with them as the dealership had gotten on with all of that.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for the review, John! Glad to hear you had a No Worries, Just Drive experience!

Original review: July 4, 2018

When I bought my truck, my dealer sold a GWC vehicle service contract to me. Now, I'm glad I bought it. A couple of weeks ago, a wheel bearing went out and even more recently, a water pump is also out. I talked to their rep one time and she said that the truck was covered. I took it to the garage I go to and he fixed the wheel bearing. I didn't have to do anything and the rep just told me to tell the garage to call her.

However, I didn't know that I had a deductible because in the paper it said "zero deductible. GWC doesn't tell their customers that there is only no deductible if they buy that feature in their pamphlet. It says in the back that you have to pay a deductible but on the page when you buy, there are green, yellow and a gray parts which are stages of insurance. The green part says: “Zero deductible.” At the back however, it says that if the customer didn’t buy that, then they have to pay the deductible. That's a bit vague and customers don't realize that cost as a deductible until they are done having the vehicle fixed. Still, it was only a hundred bucks which wasn't horrible. My truck is a 2012 model and it has broken down twice. As long as there are no issues and GWC covers the repairs and does what they say, I'd be happy. I'm glad I have the insurance and GWC is the easiest insurance company I've ever worked with.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for the review, Kenneth. I hope you get to enjoy that truck for many more miles to come!

Original review: July 3, 2018

My brother has a dealership. He works with a lot of customers and only takes GWC customers. I heard a lot of good stuff about GWC Warranty. We have warranties for used cars so if something happens it was good to always have the thing. The dealership looked up a quote for me and the GWC quote was cheaper and they cover more stuff than the other ones too. Filing a claim with GWC was very simple. I filed the claim with the repair shop for a specific part and they called GWC. They did the cleaning and it all worked out there. Everything has been good since purchasing the GWC Warranty and the problem that was fixed isn't a big issue now. I would recommend it to customers as well since it was a really good experience from what I've had.

GWC Warranty response

Thank you for the review, Maria! It's great to hear that we were able to help with your mechanical issues!

Original review: July 2, 2018

I needed a better warranty than I had and the mechanic I go to offered GWC Warranty. GWC has been better compared to my previous one and my mechanic files the claim. But the only thing I didn't like was that I haven't even had the warranty for a month when my first car was totaled in an accident and they wouldn't let me transit it over to my new car. The new car is also a Subaru Forester 2010. I had to buy only warranty and then they called me the last week to renew my warranty for my old car. I don't know why it wasn't just wiped clean. Other than that, the people who called me to renew the extended warranty were friendly.

Original review: July 1, 2018

The car lot that I bought my vehicle from recommended GWC Warranty to me. I bought the vehicle and four days later, its transmission messed up. The motor messed up two days thereafter. I took the vehicle to EMCO and EMCO called GWC and talked to them and handled everything from there. Their customer service was a little slow but it was really good. At first, the shop wasn’t gonna get a new motor and they’re just rebuilding parts of it. But then they dropped the whole plan and said that shavings of the motor were hanging in there. So they had to take another side of the motor off and decided to order just another motor. I’ve been without a vehicle for about two months because I had to order a motor and it took over a week to get here. The shop went through the options to replace the transmission and they finally just rebuilt it.

GWC did a really good job of covering everything. There were a few minor details that I didn’t know about like the 30-70 on the laser, so I had to pay a little bit out of pocket on the actual motor. I also had to pay just $100 to get back to the shop. Though I had to pay almost $800 for different things with the motor, I’m really pleased. They’ve done everything that needed to be done. They called me and kept me updated with what’s going on. I’ve had really good interactions with GWC. I like knowing that if I’ve had an issue, they would take care of it. They’ve actually done the motor and transmission, so I should have a very good vehicle for a long time. I recommend GWC Warranty if you’re buying a used vehicle.

GWC Warranty response

Thank you for the feedback, David. We hope you can continue to enjoy your vehicle for many more miles to come!

Original review: June 27, 2018

When I first bought my Mercedes, the warranty had zero deductible, had all the bells and whistles and everything was nice. The original warranty was through the dealer by GWC. The guy that sold me the extended warranty, once the original was up, told me it was the same warranty but I gotta hop on it now and if I didn't, the price might go up. I gave it a few days after the original conversation and I called back and said that I'd do it because my warranty was almost up and I didn't wanna be uncovered. So they did the breakdown again.

Then I had a situation with my car. I took the car in and the dealer contacted me. They told me I had a $100 deductible. I said that didn't sound right. At that moment, I was already there and had my car looked at so I went ahead and I paid the $100 deductible as well as the balance that was left over from the stuff that wasn't covered. When they replaced a specific part, they had one of the oils out. And the warranty only covered a certain amount. I had built a relationship with the Mercedes in Timonium to the point where they didn't even charge me for the additional oils and a couple of other things they looked out for me for. Then they told me that my warranty didn't cover this, which was strange because the last warranty covered it.

I'm not with GWC Warranty anymore and canceling was no problem, but they had a couple of people call me to find out why I canceled. I told them I felt that it was like a bait and switch. They told me one thing and then did something else. The person that originally spoke to me about the warranty before I signed called me back and said it was discussed because it was a fine print thing at the end of the conversation. For the money that I spent on the warranty, I could've put that aside and actually pay for the damages myself. On top of that, they wanted me to pre-pay when I first signed up. I kept up my end of the bargain and I felt like I was duped. I would never put somebody in the same position.

GWC Warranty response

Kenneth, I am sorry to hear that were unhappy with your experience and that your contract's terms were not clearly explained to you. The $100 deductible is standard on all of our contracts and can be waived for a one-time fee if you so choose. However, our records do show a covered repair of more than $1,200. I apologize if this did not eliminate all of the out-of-pocket expenses for you due to the cost of either parts or labor. We rely on decades of data to understand fair prices for labor and parts, and our reimbursement rates are set as such to protect our customers. I'm sorry to hear that you cancelled your contract, but should you ever again require vehicle service contract coverage, we will be happy to help protect your Mercedes. Thank you for bringing your situation to our attention and we will be sure to work toward more clearly explaining the terms of coverage.

Original review: June 21, 2018

They are really bad, hide all the details from you. It look really good on paper but when you are actually in the problem and need their help they are such a pain to handle. Worst customer service ever. My car had a bad fuel pump and the module that balances the pressure. They denied to repair it and also when I asked to cancel the coverage they were the pain again, I had all my details and instead of helping me they were like you have to talk to the store from where you got the car. Never get into this, I would never recommend it to anybody!!

GWC Warranty response

Anurag, I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. However, the fuel pump you needed repaired is not a covered component on the coverage level you purchased. We have many coverage levels that do cover fuel pumps, but unfortunately the service contract you purchased does not. As for cancellations, we ask that you return to the dealer from whom you purchased the service contract to ensure that you receive the proper refund amount if any is due. I'm sorry for this inconvenience and if our policies were not adequately explained to you. Thank you for your message, and please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I purchased from GMC and had an easy experience. I also have an old vehicle and its warranty was out. GMC Warranty was the only one offered at the dealership and in a way, I was also checking on it. I went through the two mechanic shops that deal in auto repair, informed them about the vehicle in particular, and they each had the thing to say about the warranty company. So, I went and bought an extended warranty from GMC. The dealer explained all of the brochure of the various options from a normal coverage up to an express coverage where it covered almost everything.

The minimum coverage to the extended coverage plan cost $600 and I'm glad I got the warranty. One time, I took my car to my mechanic's shop and when I turned it over to him, he called GWC to get approval to make the repairs. Then, I never heard another word back from him until it was time to come pick my vehicle up. Also, the only out-of-pocket cost was $100 activation fee which wasn’t terrible. The claim was for the A/C compressor and the repair took two days but that was mainly because my car is a BMW and the mechanic had to order the parts. Otherwise, it was within the normal range of getting a vehicle with an air-conditioning system repaired and the wait was worth it.

Everybody in my household has a BMW. It’s not an inexpensive vehicle to get repairs for because we'd be going through the dealership. But there’s so much covered in the GWC warranty that I wouldn't take a shock anymore when I take the vehicle into a repair. If all future claims go as easily as the first one I made, then I’m gonna do my business with GWC again if it’s available in the open market.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for the feedback, Clyde. Great to hear that you had a No Worries, Just Drive experience!

Original review: June 13, 2018

Read the fine print! We purchased an extended warranty from GWC when we bought our truck. The transmission went out and needs replacement. GWC informed us that they will not pay to have the existing transmission rebuilt nor will they pay to have a new transmission put in. They said they located a used transmission (with 98000 miles on it) and that was what they will pay for. They told me that if I wanted the existing transmission rebuilt then I would have to cover the extra cost (which is more than double of what they would pay).

Also, (according to my mechanic) the amount they would pay did not cover the complete cost to install the used one. When I asked how they based what they would cover, they said that they used the "AllData Labor Guide" per terms of my contract. When I asked if I could see the guide, they said "no" but that I could call "AllData". When I called AllData, they told me that they are a paid service and that I would have to pay a fee and sign up to access that information. Therefore the full and true terms of our contract with GWC are not found solely in the contract itself. But instead, they are held in part by a third party source that we (even before signing) are not permitted to access unless we pay a fee.

GWC Warranty response

Aaron, I am sorry to hear about your transmission experience. I understand that major repairs like can make for a stressful time. As you have learned, the contract you purchased does cover parts of like kind and quality in the event of a repair. We do this to manage costs for you both when purchasing your initial contract and when completing repairs. Also, the AllData guide for parts and labor estimates is an industry standard by which most certified repair facilities abide as well, which is why we choose that source to help protect our customers from exorbitant repair costs. Again, I apologize for the issues you encountered during your repair. Should you encounter any other issues, we will be here to help you overcome those as well. Thank you for your message.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I was very happy. The problem I had was very upsetting but was handled very professionally. The job got taken care of quickly with no misunderstanding. They was very Apologetic for what I had been through. I would strongly recommend them in the future and I will almost deal with them again in the future.

GWC Warranty response

Thank you for the review, Damita. I'm glad to hear that we were able to help make a difficult situation a little bit easier for you.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My son's vehicle was an older one and had more miles on it. The dealership offered us a GWC service contract and it was a good experience with the dealer. They explained the coverage and helped us pick which one was the best protection plan for us. The cost is good. Filing a claim with GWC has been fine too. When there was something with the radiator, we submitted one and the auto place took care of it and GWC paid them. The repair took a day or two. Overall, GWC warranty service has been okay.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for the review, James. If there is anything else we can help with, please don't hesitate to let us know!

Original review: June 11, 2018

With a vehicle like the Mercedes, anything that breaks down is very expensive and I don’t want the big bills. I’ve never had my warranty run out on any of my vehicles. But GWC Warranty was the only one that Mercedes had available for me because of the year and the only choices I had were how many years I wanted it for. It wasn’t too outrageous, but it was reasonable. The finance manager was pretty good and he had knowledge on it. I can also call GWC on all my other vehicles directly. Something went wrong last month and I just took the vehicle into the dealership and they made the calls. The warranty part didn’t take long and it was the dealership that had to get the parts. So far, the experience has been good and I’d recommend GWC.

GWC Warranty response

Thanks for sharing your No Worries, Just Drive experience, George!

GWC Warranty expert review by Lauren Fix

GWC provides vehicle service contracts to drivers across the United States. They have protected over 8.5 million drivers and have 3,000 preferred service facilities in the country.

• GWC Warranty coverage: GWC offers exclusionary coverage and stated component coverage. Exclusionary coverage gives drivers the highest level of protection by covering hundreds of components, parts and systems. Stated component coverage protects specific parts and systems listed in your contract.

• Optional upgrades: You can opt to upgrade your coverage by adding things like your in-vehicle navigation system and sensors to your contract. Contact your selling dealer to find out all of your upgrade options.

• New and used protection plans: GWC Warranty has protection plans for new and used vehicles, even if your new vehicle is still covered by a manufacturer’s warranty.

• Transferrable coverage: Your GWC Warranty service contract can easily transfer to another car owner if you sell your vehicle. Follow the instructions for transferring your contract to a new owner on GWC Warranty’s website.

• GWC Warranty repair shops: Over 3,000 service facilities nationwide partner with GWC Warranty. Find your local repair shop on GWC’s website.

• Best for: drivers who want a vehicle service contract with easy access to partner repair shops.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

GWC Warranty Company Information

1995
P.O. Box 7900
Wilkes-Barre
PA
800.482.7357
gwcwarranty.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business