Call toll free
4.04/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At CarShield, we offer plans to fit every wallet and every vehicle. Whether you've purchased a brand new car, or looking for additional coverage on old car, we have comprehensive comparisons to find the right package for you. Flexible payment plans, coverage on pricey items like transmissions and 24-hour roadside assistance are just a few of the features offered in our customizable plans. Call or visit our site today to find the right coverage for you, and start driving with peace of mind.

CarShield Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

CarShield’s high points transferable warranties, motorcycle coverage and many plans. Although CarShield’s quote process isn’t the best, their numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

PROS

• More plans than most competitors
  • Contracts available in Spanish
  • Transferrable warranties
  • Covers motorcycles in addition to cars

CONS

• Inconvenient quote process
  • Limited benefits

Top CarShield Reviews

03/28/2019

Customer Service is outstanding! Understood my needs and quickly took care of my request. I highly recommend CarShield for car protection.

04/01/2019

It was a wonderful experience for me to see that CarShield really care about their customer. I told them I couldn't pay my bill and they went beyond and out their way to make sure I was able to afford my plan.

What is CarShield?

CarShield is a company offering extended auto warranties for new and used vehicles. CarShield has 31 contract options available to customers. Contracts are available both in English and Spanish. Warranties are also available for motorcycles, ATVs and vehicles with up to 250,000 miles on them. Most warranties can be transferred as well.

How much does CarShield cost?

CarShield rates can vary widely. However, you can expect a Carshield warranty price to be roughly 4 cents per mile on the car. CarShield has a maximum payment schedule of 24 months, so customers have a full two years to pay off their extended auto warranty.

Details like contract lengths, deductibles and other fees are not available on the website, so the best way to get precise Carshield prices is to contact the company. It’s common for extended auto warranty companies to have minimal pricing information on their websites. You can get a free quote from CarShield by submitting your information via their online form or by calling and speaking to CarShield customer service. CarShield reviews do mention that the quote process can be tricky, with salespeople preferring to call about quotes rather than emailing.

What does CarShield cover?

CarShield has 31 contracts available for customers. This is seven to eight times more than most competitors. The majority of these contracts fit into six broad levels of coverage: New Car, Comprehensive, Powertrain+, Powertrain, High Tech and Motorcycle/ATV.

The New Car plan is similar to a manufacturer’s warranty. This is often known as a bumper-to-bumper plan. It is the most extensive plan offered by CarShield and will cover almost any repair you might need. CarShield suggests the Comprehensive plan for used vehicles. It offers the second most coverage of CarShield’s plans. The Powertrain+ plan is billed as a good option both for used and high-mileage vehicles, while the Powertrain plan (no plus) is CarShield’s most basic and affordable plan. This is a good choice if you want simple coverage at a low price. The High Tech plan and Motorcycle/ATV plans offer customized coverage for high-tech items and alternatives to cars. For more details on costs and what they cover talk to a CarShield representative.

Powertrain plan
High tech plan
  • Wiring harness
Motorcycle plan

How does CarShield work?

CarShield works by providing extended auto warranties for new and used cars. This acts as insurance on your car in case of an unforeseen breakdown. When you need a repair made, you can just go to an ASE-certified repair facility, file a claim and pay a small deductible. CarShield pays the rest.

CarShield offers coverage for cars with up to 250,000 miles. This is on the higher end of coverage for most extended auto warranty companies, so if you have a car with high mileage, CarShield is a good choice.

Make sure to read the terms and conditions of your contract so you fully understand what CarShield will cover. Contracts are provided in English and Spanish. Most contracts are also transferrable, meaning the warranty can still cover the car even if you sell it. This can increase the value of the vehicle for sale. CarShield’s coverage for motorcycles and ATVs also sets it apart from other extended auto warranty companies. Additional benefits include towing, roadside assistance and rental car coverage.

Is CarShield worth it?

CarShield is well worth it, especially if you aren’t sure yet what kind of coverage you want with an extended auto warranty, because CarShield offers a wide variety of plans that will satisfy most consumers. Having contracts available in Spanish is helpful to those whose primary language is Spanish. Coverage for motorcycles is another standout feature. If you’re looking for an extended auto warranty with a solid reputation behind it, you can’t go wrong with CarShield.

1131 CarShield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The credit union that I deal with would not give me a full bumper-to-bumper extended warranty on my ’08 Corvette. They would only give me an engine and power train. I got something in the mail from CarShield and it said that I could call and talk to them. So I called the number and talked to one of the reps. The rep said they could give me a full bumper-to-bumper warranty. It was a little more than the credit union, but it covered a lot more. It sounded like a good deal.

I've had many extended warranty services and I cancel them as soon as I have the actual brochure and I have read it through about three times, and I know what they'll cover and what they'll not cover. As soon as they try and pull a fast one and say, “Well, that might have been covered,” I tell them, “No, no, no. It says right here in black and white on this piece of paper, you're covering that part.” When they then try to pull some funny business, I tell them that they're done. They're not standing up to what they say they are.

Right on the get-go, I had some gasket leaks on the Corvette. It was found when an oil change was being done on the car. I double-checked with the book to see what CarShield was covering, and sure enough, it said that, “We cover all engine and rear-end gaskets from leaking.” I knew that I was 100% covered. But then, it happened that the CD changer in the car quit loading at the same time. So I looked it up as well and I said, “No, it covers factory to factory CD warranty on a radio.” So, all three things I was 100% positive are supposed to be covered and there shouldn’t be any problems. I told that to the Chevy dealership, asked them to call CarShield and have a deductible.

The person at the dealership called back and said that a CarShield rep was coming out to go over everything that we had written down. He'd be there in two days and then he'd say yes or no on everything. I said, “Okay, fine. We'll see how good CarShield is gonna be.” The rep did come out and the Chevy service writer called me up and said that they were covering everything, that they were very good. He even added that they were gonna cover some of the loops that were coming out. I asked how was the CarShield guy and I was told that he was great. CarShield was very fair and they did exactly what they said they were gonna do, and everything that was in writing, they covered.

Hi Rodman!

Thank you for your support and we look forward to continuing our business with you! If there's anything you need, please give us a call.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I had a couple of people who referred me to CarShield. I checked out a bunch of different companies and CarShield was the one I really liked the most. Everything seemed to be okay, except for the fact that I had to wait for an adjuster to come and look at my truck. On Friday, I took it to the Toyota dealer. CarShield didn’t want any more miles put on the truck. I had a computer module go out. They didn’t know whether somebody could come on Friday and look at it or whether it’d be Monday. They told me they knew what the problem was and how much it would cost but they couldn't do any repairs until the adjuster would come out and approve it.

They came out Monday afternoon and approved the work to be done, and then they ordered the part. Tuesday, my truck got fixed. And then I had to wait until Wednesday till it got paid before I could get my truck back. The whole bill was about $2,800. CarShield covered everything but they didn’t cover the $100 deductible, but that was understandable in the beginning. Everything was taken care of well so I was happy with it. The only inconvenience was the five days without my truck. If it had been something else, I could’ve gotten a rental car. But they looked at how much time it was gonna take for somebody to replace the part and they would’ve paid for the rental for one day. Nevertheless, I’ve recommended them to other people.

Hello Wayne!

We are happy to hear your vehicle service contract is working in your favor!

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have an older vehicle and the warranty on it was up and I wanted to keep the truck because of everything we've done in it. My husband has always done upkeep on it and he tried to make sure that after he was gone, I wouldn’t have any kind of problems with the truck. So we decided to get an service contract for it, and we got it from CarShield. I was pleased with their customer service. They would call back if they tell me they'd call me back. We wanted some quotes and things and they called me back, was very helpful, and friendly.

With the warranty, I was able to get a new engine and I only had to pay $300 for the fluids and minor things that they did on the truck. I was so worried because that happened a month after my husband passed away. But it really worked out and I really appreciated them helping me. The engine was done very well. I feel secure having my CarShield warranty. When they fixed my truck for me, I had to ask some mechanics and everything. I said, “Would you feel comfortable getting in it and driving to the West Coast?”. Then they told me that it was no problem. So being a female and an older female, I don’t know anything about vehicles, so that eased my mind about getting out alone in my vehicle. I've told my friends about CarShield.

Hello Deborah!

We are happy to hear your vehicle service contract is working in your favor, as we expect it to.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

Original review: June 13, 2018

Many commenters do not seem to understand the role of CarShield (CS). CS is an agency whose purpose is to pair a person up with an extended warranty contractor that best suits the buyers' needs, based on car age/mileage, and what they can afford. In that capacity, CS is a benevolent, knowledgeable, and customer-oriented company. CS does not pay for the repair of a car but should an agency fall shot of CS's standards, they will go to bat for you against the agency. They offer a service and do so very well. I can certainly commend the salesmen, I dealt with for honesty, candor, eloquence, compassion and understanding. In particular, I will mention both Bryce and his account manager Kirk who were impressive young men who are impressive intermediaries.

Customer Service is a highly stressful department for a human. I have never conversed with a more amiable, and service oriented rep than Georgette **. She should be training reps instead of working as one. Absolute attention to my concerns, needs, and questions. Made the entire interaction with CarShield a pleasant experience. I would hire her in my Pharmacy in a flash to deal with customers... What an asset to CarShield. I pray they appreciate her. Basically the same can be said for Jennifer whose knowledge of her company helped me to understand the basic underpinnings of what they strive to accomplish.

After reading the contract offered to me, I decided it did not fit my needs and expectations. I determined this by reading the "specimen" contract offered by the agency, calling the telephone numbers listed in the contract, and taking notes of issues that bothered me. I was lucky enough to get Jennifer on my first call who encouraged the investigation, then Georgette on my second call who painlessly listened to what I had discovered and initiated a refund of my down payment to my credit card. She gave me a time frame for the refund of 5 business days and I fully expect it to happen just that way.

These are good people trying to offer a benevolent service to peoples strapped for money, but don't blame them because you fail to perform due diligence and investigate what you have been told. With that, I thank CarShield for their novel entrepreneurship and assure them that, should I purchase a repair contract, it will be from them. There is none more candid and forthright in their dealing with customers.

Hello Brad!

Thank You for the compliment and for taking a moment to review CarShield. Even though we are sorry to see you go as a customer, we hope you do keep us in mind for the future.

If there is anything more we can do for you, please give us a call.

Original review: May 21, 2018

When I bought the car, I only knew of the dealership warranty. Then I received a phone call two months before I purchased stating that the extended warranty has expired. I kept getting phone calls soliciting me to buy one so I researched and found CarShield and I'm quite pleased with the service. The customer service rep helped me in trying to figure out what’s covered under my policy and how it breaks down. And then, the representative who took my claim walked me through the process and filled me in with all the information that I needed that they could possibly provide for me and I was satisfied with that.

I filed a claim a little less than a month ago because my transmission was flipping and then it went. I took the car to the shop and it got fixed and the car is driving as new as possible. The claim rep also mentioned that I had a rental under my claim policy and I rented a car. He asked me to send them the bill but I forgot. But the point is, there are no worries and even though the car was in the shop for four days, I didn’t mind that at all. I am grateful that CarShield was able to help me get my vehicle back on the road and get me back to work. It's very important to have an extended warranty because you never know and I've recommended CarShield to several friends. I don’t wanna pay for an extra insurance but I don’t look at it as insurance, instead, what I'm paying for right now every month with CarShield is for peace of mind.

Hi Jim!

We are glad to hear your vehicle service contract is working in your favor!

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: May 17, 2019

I called to make sure I made a payment on time since it was not automatically taken out of my account. The representative assisted me in making sure the auto payment was set up and that my payment was processed.

Original review: May 16, 2019

My vehicle was getting older so I purchased a warranty in case it has any problems. It was actually my mom who told me about CarShield and the rep I spoke with was good. I was kinda leery because it was my first time doing something like that so I had all kinds of questions but he answered all my questions. Then I had a transmission issue that I filed a claim for and the people were really nice. I really didn’t have to do anything. They just knew what to do. They took my booklet, called CarShield and took care of that part.

They had a person come check the vehicle out and make sure that the issue was what it was. Then once they confirmed it, they went ahead and ordered everything. Then the vehicle went in and got fixed. It was a little bit longer than I thought but it was okay. I know it takes time and I’m not complaining. I’m just ecstatic because I do the monthly payment and I didn’t have to pay anything out of my pocket right there and then. It was already taken care of. That was really nice. I’ve referred CarShield to a couple of people too.

Original review: May 15, 2019

The representative was not sure what was needed when I asked a question so she placed me on hold, apologized for the wait and explained to me instructions on what was needed to be done, which I was very thankful. Very courteous and helpful service was provided.

Hi Lutifiyyah!

Thank you for your review. Even though we are sorry to see you go as a customer, we hope you keep us in mind for the future. If there is anything more we can do for you, please give us a call.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have been looking for a warranty protection plan for my vehicle. I saw that there have been many people going with this company so I decided to give it a try. Thank you for the kind sales and service that I received over the phone when getting everything all set up.

Hi Linda!
Welcome to CarShield!

Thanks for joining our community of consumers whom understand the importance of protecting their budgets and their vehicles an extended service contract. If there's anything you need, please give us a call. We're here to work for you!

Original review: May 14, 2019

When the belt cover gasket started leaking and a couple of other things that went wrong with the part, I filed a claim with CarShield. The process was fairly good and I had no problem with my claim. I had to call CarShield to get information to take it to the car dealer and get it fixed and I got a rental.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Very happy and pleased. Customer service are well trained and very pleasant to talk to and takes your concern very seriously and will do everything in their power to resolve it in a timely manner. Our problem was not your fault. Our problem was with Carfax and a miss report from Heaton tires on the mileage but you took control and helped resolve the problem. Would highly recommend CarShield to family, and friends.

Hello Tracy!

We are pleased to hear our team was able to get you the help you needed. Thank you again for your time.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Jennifer was completely knowledgeable, thorough and super friendly! She even reminded me of the coverage and benefits of my warranty plan and know that purchasing this warranty was right for me! Other businesses could use more "Jennifers" on THEIR team!!

Hi Tiria!

We are pleased to hear our team was able to get you the peace of mind you deserve. Thank you again for your time.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I liked CarShield's coverage and when I initially purchased it, I had a fantastic experience with the reps. I called them when I was gonna use the warranty and the rep told me what to do. She told me to drop the car off at the dealer and they would take care of everything. I've used the warranty twice and in both times, all I did was drop it off and give the dealer the paperwork, and I was done. The first time I used the warranty, CarShield took care of it right away. I dropped the car off, then the dealer gave me a car back with a dead battery. I turned it back in, dropped it off, the fused had blown and they fixed it. If it wasn’t for CarShield, I would be paying around $600 instead of $100. So, it worked out. CarShield gives me peace of mind. It is worth investing in.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Dick Butkus was the spokesperson for CarShield one time and I knew he was about his work. If he would put his name behind something, it must be good. I thought the best thing I could do was try so I went with CarShield. All I had to do was call them, explain to them the situation that I was going through with my car, they took it from there. Their reps made sure I understood. However, they haven't sent my paperwork out for me to know what is covered by them. Still, it doesn't bother me because anytime I call CarShield, they're right there and on time every time.

I started a claim with them in December. That time, before I left from Maryland, Fort Washington, I went to a Mazda dealer and had my car serviced so I could take the road trip. They told me my car was fine to take the trip and that everything was in order. By the time I got down to Virginia Beach though, my car had gone out and it was smoking. I had to call because I was scared to drive it since it started making this noise. So, I called State Farm and had them to tow my car towards the dealer. When I got there and I gave them my insurance information, they contacted CarShield. CarShield told them they were gonna send an inspector out. In a few days, an inspector was out there and the dealership said that they were going to do what they gotta do. CarShield was on the money to pay the people when my car was finished. I will refer them to anyone and stand behind them 100%

Original review: May 11, 2019

CarShield had pretty good reviews on the commercials from what I read online, so I had to try them out. Before going to CarShield, I called the dealership since the original warranty was through them. But their price was so much higher than CarShield. I would take my car to the dealership to get service, and they always call CarShield for me. I had to use them a couple of times, and the dealership never had an issue with them. When I've had to take my car for brakes, they covered it. They do what they said they were gonna do. I'm satisfied with CarShield. It's a good service and I've always recommended them.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My credit card number was used by an unauthorized person resulting in a new card to be issued. Two ladies were very helpful in getting my account paid using my new card. I approved a discounted payoff to pay the balance of the contract as of 5/10/2019. It is my understanding the policy is enforce until year 2024.

Hi Carlin!

Thank you for your review! Please do not hesitate to give us a call!

Original review: May 10, 2019

My father had an account with CarShield and he vouched for them. It has been good so far and I haven't had problems. They answered all my questions, and everything was good. I asked how much they would cover and I felt good with their answer. I felt that I was making a good decision. So far, I've only filed one claim and it went fine. CarShield was quick with it. There was no hassle. I’ve heard stories in the past how companies try to get over, but I didn’t feel that with CarShield.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I contacted CarShield to make a change and they were "Par excellent as usual!" I will be a repeat customer in the future when the need arises.. They always gave me their best service and earned my trust. Go CarShield!

Hi Derrick!

We appreciate your support and review. If you have any questions don't hesitate to give us a call!

Original review: May 9, 2019

All went great, answered all I needed to know about the coverage of what was in the plan!!! Easy to talk with. Also covered all my options for my truck... So as far as I can tell, Jeannie did a great job on this call..

Hi Wayne!

Original review: May 9, 2019

The experience was very pleasant and detailed. As a matter of fact, I had committed to CarShield before I realized that I had done so. Now, I must look into communicating with PayLink to request the return of my funds.

Hi Marian!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Yes your represent it is completely knowledgeable and is very helpful courtesy. She did not try to rush me through anything and give me other facts that I didn't know about. Thank you. We spent about 35 minutes 40 minutes on the phone, explain different details of the contract and she surprised me. Was very knowledgeable of of a automotive workings. I'm a retired professional diesel mechanic and she really impressed me of her knowledge of the workings of vehicles. Again if I could put a feather in your hat I sure would. If I was her boss I give her a raise. Looking forward to a real service from a very professional sounding company. She also explained to me about warranty on parts who you got some of them from. Stuff like this surprise me. To me very knowledgeable. Peace out.

Hi Paul!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 9, 2019

I saw the ads on television for Carshield and thought it was a good idea considering I spent over $12,000.00 last year on repairs for 3 vehicles I own. I called Carshield to enquire about coverage and pricing. The Representative was rude and pushy trying every day he could to get my credit card number. After an hour with him on the phone I requested a copy of the contract to read because quite frankly it sounded too good to be true. Well they did not send the info as promised but a different representative did call me back the next day, gave the same presentation but did send me the contracts to read. Again this person was relentless in trying to get my credit card number.

After another hour wasted on the phone I informed this rep the same thing I told the 1st rep which was that I wanted to read the contract and discuss it with my wife before committing. He continued to push for the card number and I finally told him that I was getting aggravated with his persistence and to call me back tomorrow after I speak to my wife and we read the contract. After we ended the call not 10 minutes later another representative called me back to start the presentation all over again. I found this very aggravating and told the third representative that I already made the purchase.

So I read the contracts they sent and it was full of exclusions which contradicted most everything the sales representative told me over the phone. I then checked the BBB reviews and recommendations for this company and was pretty surprised how many complaints they received. I have decided not to go with Carshield based on my research and experience with them, if you're considering this company I would suggest that you do your own research and be cautious giving out your credit card number. Personally I don't trust them and will not do business with them.

CarShield response

We are sorry you feel this way. Can you please provide us with your primary number?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 9, 2019

I purchased a warranty plan from Carshield and had to take my truck in for repairs about 5-6 after the warranty purchase. My claim was denied because my truck has a lift. When I purchased the warranty, the rep never asked me anything about my truck except for the make and model, mileage and if I took care of it. I spoke with an adjuster and he told me that I should have never have had that warranty policy to begin with due to the lift. If that was the case, then asked to be reimbursed and I was told "Sorry that ain't happening". All this took about a month before some actually told me all this. I never received a single phone call from anyone to keep me up to date on what was going on with my claim. I have since cancelled my policy and will not recommend Carshield to anyone!

Felix-

We are sorry you feel this way. We at CarShield have little to no control over the claims process or the administrators' decision. We are, however, always willing to explain the coverage details or help you with any of your Customer Service needs.

Original review: May 9, 2019

The reason I had to cancel at this time was due to financial hardship. The way the company handled my situation was outstanding and truthful. When I am able to get back on my feet I will definitely call to reinstate.

Hi Josephine!

Original review: May 9, 2019

They explain everything that it would cover. The women that I talk to was really good at what she was doing. I call backs today and gave them the miles on the VW Beetle. I got the CarShield's number from the TV.

Hello Bob!

Original review: May 7, 2019

I spoke to two persons. One verified my information and another took care of what I called about, to update my payment method since I had a recent change. Both were courteous and able to answer my questions quite quickly. They were a pleasure to speak to. Pauline **

Hello Pauline!
We are pleased to hear our team has helped resolve any questions you have had.

Thank you again for your time and have a great day!

Original review: May 7, 2019

I heard Mike Ditka advertising CarShield on the radio and then I heard good things about them from one of my associates that has warranty with them. He said he had a good experience, so I gave them a try. I've used them once and that was a success. The two automatic side mirrors wouldn’t go in. They stopped working so I put a claim in and CarShield got them replaced for me. Their customer service was really good. Everything on my end went fine. But it took some time to resolve the claim because Shaub-Ellison had to contact CarShield a couple of times. It also took an extra phone call on my end to eliminate the confusion, and then my mechanic had a little bit more of a problem making contact with CarShield.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I called two weeks ago and asked to move my payment date from the 19th to 23rd. I also spoke to them about trading my 2014 Hyundai for a new car so I wanted to end that policy. They were good at discontinuing my Hyundai and credited back last months payment on my Town & Country. I haven't had to use the warranty yet, I hope they take care of me!

Hi Paul!
We are pleased to hear our team has helped resolve any questions you have had.

Thank you again for your time and have a great day!

Original review: May 6, 2019

CarShield's rep sounded pretty good. He had to know what he was talking about for me to get their warranty and I did. I've had one claim thus far and though it was not a long process, I wish I would have known I could have gotten a rental car. During the repair, one part wasn't the correct one so they had to send out to get the right one. I was without my vehicle for about two weeks. Still, I'd recommend CarShield. I'm satisfied with my extended warranty.

Hi Carla!

Thank you for the support! Please call customer service for any questions you may have!

Original review: May 5, 2019

Good service all around, Counting on you ALL to cover me if & when I need you the Most. Thank you CarShield. P.S. Please put a good star next to my name If I call with some questions please. I'll spread the good word. David

Hi David!

We appreciate your support. If you have any questions don't hesitate to give us a call!

CarShield Company Information