4.4/5 (2287 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About CarShield

CarShield offers customizable vehicle service contracts that cover new and used cars against malfunctions or breakdowns. Along with these extended warranties, CarShield also provides 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental vehicles. Month-to-month coverage and flexible monthly payment plans are available to fit your needs.

Pros

• More plans than many competitors offer
  • Plans start at $79 per month
  • Month-to-month plans available
  • Covers cars with up to 300,000 miles

Cons

• Rental reimbursement isn’t standard

Bottom Line

CarShield's high points include its month-to-month and motorcycle coverage. Although CarShield's quote process isn't the best, its numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

Top CarShield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Had to replace my 2018 Impala evaporator core and it would have cost me 2000.00 out of pocket if I didn't have Car Shield. I took the car to the dealership services and they took ...

Verified

It was a wonderful experience for me to see that CarShield really care about their customer. I told them I couldn't pay my bill and they went beyond and out their way to make sure...

What is CarShield?

CarShield offers vehicle service contracts for new and used vehicles, including motorcycles, ATVs and cars with up to 300,000 miles. The company has six contract options, almost all of which are available on a month-to-month basis, so you aren’t locked into a long-term commitment. Contracts are available both in English and Spanish. Most warranties are transferable too.

CarShield cost

CarShield’s rates vary widely, but you can expect prices to be under $100 a month. CarShield has a maximum payment schedule of 24 months, so you have a full two years to pay off your extended auto warranty. If you choose a month-to-month plan, your payments will last the entirety of your coverage, though.

Details like contract lengths, deductibles and other fees are not available on the company’s website, so the best way to get precise prices is to contact CarShield. You can get a free quote from CarShield by submitting your information via its online form or by calling CarShield’s customer service. CarShield reviews do mention that the quote process can be tricky, with salespeople preferring to call about quotes rather than emailing.

What does CarShield cover?

CarShield has six protection plans available for both new and used cars, offering protection from powertrain to comprehensive coverages. CarShield’s six contracts are as follows:

Silver
Silver is CarShield’s powertrain plan and its most affordable coverage. It covers your vehicle’s:
Gold
Gold is Carshield’s powertrain plus plan. It covers everything the Silver plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
Platinum
Platinum is CarShield’s comprehensive plan. It covers everything the Gold plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
  • GPS
Diamond
Diamond is CarShield’s plan that most closely mimics a manufacturer’s warranty. It covers everything the Platinum plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
  • GPS
  • Wiring harness
Aluminum
Aluminum covers electronics- and computer-related components, including your vehicle’s:
  • Wiring harness
Other coverage
CarShield’s other plans cover components on motorcycles and ATVs, including the following components, if applicable:
  • Radiator

The Diamond plan is similar to a manufacturer’s warranty, often referred to as a bumper-to-bumper warranty. It is the most extensive plan offered by CarShield. CarShield suggests the Platinum plan for older vehicles since it offers significant coverage.

The Gold plan is billed as a good option both for used and high-mileage vehicles, while the Silver plan is CarShield’s most basic and affordable plan. This is a good choice if you want simple coverage at a low price.

The Aluminum plan covers high-tech items, and plans for motorcycles and ATVs offer customized coverage for those vehicles. For more details on costs and what each plan covers, talk to a CarShield representative.

How does CarShield work?

CarShield provides extended auto warranties for new and used vehicles. These policies act as financial protection against unforeseen breakdowns. When you need a repair made, go to an ASE-certified repair facility, file a claim and pay a small deductible. CarShield then pays for the covered repairs.

CarShield offers coverage for cars with up to 300,000 miles. This limit is higher than what many extended auto warranty companies offer, so CarShield is a good choice if you have a high-mileage car.

Make sure to read the terms and conditions of your contract so you fully understand what CarShield covers. Contracts are available in English and Spanish. Most CarShield contracts are also transferable, meaning the warranty can still cover the car even if you sell it. This can increase the value of your vehicle.

Additional CarShield benefits include towing, roadside assistance and rental cars.

CarShield FAQ

Is CarShield a rip-off?

No, CarShield is a legitimate company offering extended vehicle warranty plans. Before settling on any warranty company, it is important to do your research and understand its cancellation and refund policies, along with its various plan offerings. Doing this early on helps you decide what is right for you and avoid scams or rip-offs.

How much does CarShield cost a month?

CarShield does not offer pricing on its website, as costs vary based on your vehicle’s type, age, mileage and coverage. However, you can get a quote by calling the company’s customer service or submitting a form online through CarShield’s website.

Does CarShield cover electrical problems?

Yes, the Aluminum, Platinum and Diamond plans cover electrical issues.

What doesn’t CarShield cover?

CarShield does not cover oil changes or similar routine maintenance issues. It also does not cover oil leaks unless they are a result of engine failure and you have one of the appropriate plans.

Is CarShield worth it?

CarShield is a solid option, depending on your warranty needs. It offers a wide variety of plans, which can be especially helpful if you aren’t yet sure what kind of coverage you want. We like that it offers month-to-month contracts and motorcycle coverage — plus, having contracts available in Spanish is a big benefit if you’re not as fluent in English. If you’re looking for an extended auto warranty with a solid reputation behind it, consider CarShield.

Original review: July 13, 2022

I requested review of a claim made by a Jag dealership. I felt that something was amiss from their call explaining the diagnosis. They failed on even simple issues, neglecting to install new wiper blades as I requested. Worse still, they didn’t didn’t even offer me the choice to buy repairs. CarShield declined the claim and Long story short: the diagnosis was incorrect on both of my issues! CarShield realized that they were given 2 conflicting reports which caused them to decline. I would have put the repairs on my credit card and been furious when it wasn’t fixed.

I am a retired Service Manager from the auto dealership universe. Nothing Palm Beach Jaguar did met the mark. Everything CarShied did met the mark ++. A low performing dealer is aa affront because of their premium pricing. I spent many happy years in that business, working hard to be “worth” the premium. Causing clients to suffer a crisis of confidence in the dealer as well as in their Jag is an enormous disservice. I am pleasantly surprised (understatement) to find a such a high ethical standard n my extended warranty co. Thanks Again!

P.S. The accident and subsequent events undermined my ability to trust people. I’ve undergone brain surgery, am scheduled for neck/lumbar surgery to relieve some of the pain. So, finding that CarShield was a Great decision boosted my confidence.

CarShield response

Thank you for your review and we are always here to help. Please give us a call if you need anything else!

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2022

CarShield had us covered from beginning to end. The car dealership that tried to rip us off And buy a whole new engine when we didn't need it all. We needed was a fuel pump not a whole new engine. Thankfully thanks to Carshield our car is back up and running and I don't need to dish out $8000 for a whole new engine. Thank you so much.

CarShield response

Thank you for the kind words. We are pleased to hear you found our service helpful! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: March 20, 2022

Well, where to began... As a newly single parent and prices skyrocketing everywhere, vehicle repairs is something I did not want to see at any given point yet what is man made will fail so here I am facing a bill larger than my rent (nearly 3x over) and I was just into my 2nd week of starting my new career. I had not even gotten paid from my new job and was just living off of my unemployment. I was still making sure Car Shield was getting paid even though I had my doubts and I had a little one to provide for. I heard of scams before and really didn't stand in the position of becoming broke by being scammed yet again like before with different things. I sat there looking at my little one at the repair shop, N.T.B. and scared on the inside and smiling on the outside.

The repair shop and CarShield were on the phone a good minute and I just reminded myself that I was going to keep my new job even if I had to walk to make sure we were okay. The repair/sales gentleman came back with news stating, "that worse case scenario you will have to okay out $354.00 out of $2,600.00+." I held in my tears that moment and constantly told him, "Thank you." I sat back and thought, this car shield is no joke and I needed to provide them both with good reviews. I still didn't have even that much to pay but when I left my vehicle there overnight till Monday, I made sure to still count my blessings and look at little one and told them hey when you get your first vehicle make sure to get CarShield and get the diamond plan.

I picked up my vehicle that Monday and paid only $254.04 out of a $$2,600.00+ vehicle repair bill all thanks to Car Shield and the wonderful people who understood my position during times like this. I WILL RECOMMEND CAR SHIELD TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE just as I did that day of payment to the customers inside the repair shop and at work when I was fortunate enough to drive back to work in my repaired vehicle with tears in my eye, a great full heart, and a few dollars left to purchase my little one a Chick-fil-A nugget meal, and gas. I may have not had enough for anything else (yes bills were already paid) but what little I did have I made sure to see my little one smile and to have a tank of gas in my Car Shield paid running vehicle to help me get back and forth to work. Thank you Car Shield so much.

CarShield response

We are so happy to hear this, and are glad we were able to help! Let us know if we can be of further assistance in the future!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I called to cancel. When talking to rep. She was persistent in me keeping CarShield. I was in process of buying a new car.. I have no use when buying a new car. I said my payment is automatic and wanted the payment returned. She said CarShield does not give refunds. I ask to speak to supervisor. The supervisor said they will look into it. It's been 3 months since I closed my account.

CarShield response

We do apologize. Our refund policy is only refundable during the first 30 days on month to month accounts. We would have needed 24-48 hours notice to stop a payment. There would be no refund due on this account. If you have any further questions, please give us a call.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I need to take my car to a shop to have them check out a loud roaring grinding noise while I was driving. When I picked up my car they had put a brand new transmission in it ran new front wheel bearings but the loud grinding noise still persist with no explanation. As far as my service with CarShield was great the mechanic was really nice but I still have a problem with my car and I’m not willing to continue this goose chase and I hate my car now!! ASAP I will trade and get a new car with a factory warranty where I can take it to a mechanic that’s specializes in the vehicle I own and is familiar with it and the time left without a vehicle won’t be a month or better. Trust Carshield to get their part done! But watch who you take your vehicle to!!

CarShield response

We appreciate your support. If you have any questions don't hesitate to give us a call!

Original review: July 30, 2022

The local Cadillac dealership would not honor the CarShield warranty. They found another dealer who would. I was told they had problems receiving payments from CarShield. I’ll have to take my car to a company in another city. It’s not too far away.

CarShield response

We appreciate your support and review. If you have any questions about your policy don't hesitate to give us a call!

Original review: July 30, 2022

Customer Service gave me an alternative so I didn't have to cancel. She was able to lower my payment and skip it until Sept. I am retired and my income is set and limited. My budget is tight with little room.

CarShield response

We’re happy to help. Let us know if you need anything else.

Original review: July 30, 2022

I'm paying $160/month for 2 cars for 2 years, but CarShield can't even cover my AC when it broke down in the middle of summer at 100°F heat. Their explanation was that they don't cover the relay which makes the AC runs! This is insane! In my contract, it shows that the AC is covered but NOT the parts that keeps this AC running. That doesn't make sense, but that's how they make money. The trick is this: they "cover" the expensive parts that take longer, years, to break down. By then, they already made profits from you. And they don't cover the less expensive parts which breaks down very often. Smart, right. Anyways. I ended up paying out of my pocket close to $130 to replace a $40 relay on top of $80/month. You do the math...

CarShield response

We're sorry that you feel this way. The amount of coverage you get is dependent on your specific vehicle's year, make, model and mileage. Your vehicle may just have been too old or had too many miles on it when you signed up to qualify for those specific components to be covered. We do make sure to get you into the highest level of coverage possible depending on those factors. We do apologize, however we can only cover the parts listed in your contract for coverage. If you have any questions, please give us a call anytime.

Original review: July 30, 2022

When my car was being repaired they held it for over 4 days I had to pay for a rental car at Enterprise rental service, because the labor time fell short one minute. Totally ridiculous to be denied for just one minute.

CarShield response

We're sorry that you feel this way. We do have to abide by the contract, and there has to be a cut off somewhere. We are always here to help you as much as we possibly can. If you have any questions, please give us a call at anytime.

Original review: July 29, 2022

A representative gave me a call to remind me of my payment instead of letting my payment be late or my coverage being cancelled. He was courteous and patient. Sometimes we forget about a payment and I'm happy that I got a reminder call before it was too late. Great job CarShield.

CarShield Company Information