It's that easy Get a Free Quote
4.04/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At CarShield, we offer plans to fit every wallet and every vehicle. Whether you've purchased a brand new car, or looking for additional coverage on old car, we have comprehensive comparisons to find the right package for you. Flexible payment plans, coverage on pricey items like transmissions and 24-hour roadside assistance are just a few of the features offered in our customizable plans. Call or visit our site today to find the right coverage for you, and start driving with peace of mind.

CarShield Video
View More View More

980 CarShield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 4 featured reviews
Original review: March 20, 2019

Called because we just bought CarShield the day before. So we were new and had not received the email we were told we would get of policy and app. So I called. There was a mixup on our email address and we got that corrected.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Maureen was very patient, informative, and courteous, she did everything she could possibly do to assist me. I just have to do some more research before I make decision with a plan. I just didn't want a plan that I would be paying for so long.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I needed a tow truck. Called representative was very helpful. Called back in a timely matter. Very helpful. Explains the options completely. Made the experience very easy and explained in depth what the process was going to be. Very pleased with the entire process so far.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Michael was very patient and helpful and kind when providing services. He described in detail what my plan was and helped me to understand what I was paying for. I would recommend this service for anyone in low income that needs help.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Jessica you were awesome... I get anxiety attacks when I speak to people I don’t know and Jessica made me feel like I know her for years. May God bless you!!! Thanks for being a sport... and for making me laugh. Haven’t done that in a long time. Once again thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: March 18, 2019

Cancelled auto withdrawals and went to manual payments. Your person was very helpful and pleasant. Your company is the best and I would recommend it to anyone who needs it. I will use it again in the future if I ever buy another used vehicle.

Original review: March 15, 2019

The representative that assisted me was very courteous, professional, helpful and knowledgeable. The process was time efficient, informative and helpful and went smoothly. The representative Chris ** was at the same time patient sincerely concerned with assisting with the help that I needed. A very pleasant first impression experience, with CarShield. Thank you.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Ben and Jairo were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. They both knew their product extremely well and when I had to cancel the contract, there was no problem receiving my refund, which I obtained within 3 days. Very professional. Thank you CarShield.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Found charges on my credit card from CarShield even though I don't remember signing up. I have never received any paperwork from them either but they were charging my credit card 100 bucks a month for the last 6 months. I called them to cancel and had to get mad to finally get them to cancel. They kept trying to sell me more stuff. I would not recommend this company. I think they are a scam.

Rita-

Original review: March 12, 2019

Updated on 03/14/2019: Day 11 waiting for a Claims Authorization contact - on hold for hours, numerous messages left, online claims form filled out - still no response from CarShield. Now today my Auto Repair Shop, after having my car sit there for 11 days, is telling me to either authorize my own payment for the repair or they will have my car towed back to my house. They say they are not going to deal with CarShield because of all of the time wasted taking up space at their shop. So I'm screwed thanks to CarShield completely NON EXISTENT CUSTOMER SERVICE. HAVING TO WAIT - GOING ON 11 DAYS NOW - FOR JUST A PHONE CALL TO GET AUTHORIZATION - is completely unacceptable. It is now costing me what WAS a good relationship with my mechanic. Unacceptable. Incompetent. Bordering on deliberate fraud by selling a car warranty they have no intention of honoring.

Original Review: My car went into the shop 9 days ago for a "covered repair" under CarShield's policy terms. The car code was diagnosed the first day, and the repair shop called CarShield for the Claim Number and approval code. They sat on hold for 52 minutes and the phone was never answered - they had to return to work, so pressed the number to get a "return call." Day 2 - no return call, so another 45 minutes on hold with no answer - left another message. Day 3: no return call, so 2 episodes of sitting on hold for more than 30 minutes each. Day 3 end of day - filled out Online Claim Form and submitted for agent to call and review claim. Days 4 through 9: no response yet.

NINE DAYS my car is sitting, waiting for a repair that takes 90 minutes, all the while me having to pay for a rental car to drive to work. This is the most ridiculous setup ever. It's going to end up costing me more to file the claim with CarShield than it would have cost me to just pay cash for the repair, which makes the whole CarShield policy absolutely pointless.

Scott-

We are sorry you feel this way. Can you please provide us with your contract number so we can further assist you?

Original review: March 12, 2019

I got the policy 3 months ago for a used car with 140,840 miles on it. The person that sold me the policy inputted 148,056 miles into the computer. I needed to have the transmission repaired and took the car to the local AAMCO. Car Shield required me to have the transmission shop take the transmission out to the car to see if it could be rebuilt. When I tried to contact the adjuster I stayed on hold for one hour or more and the repairman at the transmission shop stayed on hold for two hours or more.

Finally I reached them they told me there was a problem with the mileage. As I said above and instead of correcting the mileage they cancelled the policy completely and tried to write a new one. If they had written a new one they would not cover the transmission repairs on the new policy because it would have been a preexisting problem. Car Shield and the their adjuster arm American Shield are rip offs and refuse to correct the problem they created. Now the car is apart and the transmission shop want $1900.00 to fix the car. Don't get Car Shield.

Anthony-

Original review: March 11, 2019

Representative was very flexible and understanding. I made a call for a change to my payment date and I was granted a date that was comfortable for me. I feel very grateful. I am looking forward to received excellent service from them.

Hello Mohamed!

We are pleased to hear our customer service team has helped resolve any questions you have had. Thank you again for your time.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Be very careful when you purchase any type of plan like this and make sure you are clear on what is covered and what will NOT be covered. In late 2017 I purchased Carshield for my 2008 vehicle with the knowledge of knowing that this vehicle would begin to need some major repairs due to the age and mileage (over 120,000 miles). I was correct. About 4 months into my plan I had brought my vehicle in because it didn't feel quite right. When it came time for my mechanic to contact Carshield for the repairs we were told NONE of the repairs needed were covered by the plan. I was facing over $4,000.00 in repairs and the insurance I purchased and was told that these types of repairs would be covered were not. I needed to have my entire suspension system repaired, and not one thing was covered. I then proceeded to cancel this policy that I had not yet fully paid for and had to purchase new vehicle.

Lynn-

We are sorry you feel this way. We strive to learn from every source of input available to us, to better improve our company and our customers' experience.

Our coverage plans vary depending on the age and mileage of the vehicle. Therefore, our sales agents place you into the highest level of coverage your vehicle qualifies for at the best rates.

If there is anything we can do to help you, please don't hesitate to give us a call.

Thank you again for your time.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 7, 2019

Had to have repairs due to dealer refused to call in advance. Filed claim myself. No matter when I call I cannot get claim status. Promises by claims dept to call me back never happen. It’s been 2 months!

Janet-

Please contact customer service so we can further assist you!

Original review: March 7, 2019

This is the company that put me into American Auto Shield. Their warranties go through them and this review applies to both. This is the first time putting in a claim on my Ram 3500 and it has already been a terrible experience. I have had to call them twice today the first time waiting on hold for 48 minutes and the second time waiting for 49 minutes. The inspection was done the day prior and everything was already determined by the dealership that needed to be prepared. Now today at the end of the day they decide that they need to look at my suspension for any modifications delaying the process even further. The second call was for the why was this not checked in the first place. All I got was, "Sorry for wasting your time, but can't do anything." Of course, this all holds up my rental car coverage as the claim has yet to be approved. No attempt at all to make it right.

Joe-

We are very sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced trying to repair your vehicle.

We at CarShield have little to no control over the claims process. We are, however, always willing to explain the coverage details or help you with any of your Customer Service needs.

We strive to learn from every source of input and appreciate you letting us know about your experience. However, it appears the complaints regarding the claim are aimed at the administrator & not at CarShield.

Please, give us a call if we can do anything more for you.

Original review: March 6, 2019

My payment was on the wrong card and the day after my payment was due I was sent a payment notice in the mail. I was shocked that it came so quickly and expressed that to the representative. She agreed. So she gave me my senior discount and sent me on my way. Thank you CarShield!!

Hello Carol!

Thank you for the review! Please call customer service for any questions you may have!

Original review: March 6, 2019

Between Mon 3-4 & Wed 3-6 I have been on hold with this company for five and half hours. I needed a new condenser and my mechanic was on hold with them for one and half hours. How can customers get pre-authorization for a service if none of the adjusters will pick up the phone? My experience with this company has been horrific and I would not wish this on anyone. Needless to say I am stuck with a $1000 bill.

Donna-

We are sorry to hear that your administrator has been experiencing higher than normal call volume. Please call us and let us know what we can do to help

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 6, 2019

I filled out a web form for a quote and a sales agent called me a few minutes later. I wanted a quote and some questions answered. The agent explained coverage and answered one question. The agent quoted $129 per month, and when I didn't commit immediately, dropped the price to $99 per month. I said, "Thank you, I want to think about it." The agent said, "What's there to think about?" I have not yet comparison shopped, and explained the coverage was an added monthly expense, and before I could even say I wanted to read the contract first, she hung up on me.

John-

We do apologize in advance if you were treated in a manner less than transparent and courteous when you called into our office. We train each of our agents to be professional, polite and honest at all times.

Our Quality Assurance Team has been advised to listen to the call you made to the office on 3/7/2019. We strive to learn from every source of input available to us, to better improve our company and our customers' experience. Please be assured, we do not take these matters lightly and appropriate action will be taken should we find the allegations true.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please do not hesitate to give us a call.

Best Regards,

Original review: March 5, 2019

CarShield advertisement states Car Shield handles claims; they do not handle claims, they take your money, farm customers out to administrator's like American Auto Shield who farms out to "Stoprepairbills.com". They strung me along for weeks, 100's of minutes per day on hold while I was out tow and rental fees for a month+, by coincidence, after Car Shield subtracted another payment, the next day my legitimate claim was denied. I was directed to fake websites, I have pictures of them, documentation, I received "your claim is closed, hope your service was good," a week previous to official denial - I requested the denial in writing because I received many different answers for reasoning - never received the email.

Car Shield advertising and reviews are fake: they do not handle claims, Peace of Mind is a nightmare. They uses "administrators" as buffers for denial. They have multiple website to hide their deception, they have a "F" rating with the BBB. They advertise on all social media sites but allow no interaction, they show comments have been made but they will not display.

I have filed complaints with the BBB regarding Car Shield and America Auto Shield, also with The Federal Trade Commission for false advertising; my expenses are building as I find alternative methods for repairs on top of tow and rental expenses. If I don't get results from my complaints, I will seek legal representation that will add anguish, pain and suffering. While I'm waiting for results, I will tell the world about CarShield, American Auto Shield and Stoprepairbills.com.

James-

We are sorry you feel this way and even though we are sorry to see you go as a customer, we hope you keep us in mind for the future.

Original review: March 5, 2019

The sales rep quoted me competitive plans/prices, was thorough when explaining each, professional and extremely efficient. I walked away knowing that I had the best deal for my money. I would definitely recommend this to my relatives and friends. The warranty covered All parts of my car that May be a concern in the future and it provides a towing service and rental car!

Hi Leonard!

Thank you for reviewing CarShield. Even though we are sorry to see you go as a customer, we hope you keep us in mind for the future. If there is anything more we can do for you, please give us a call.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I just purchased a 2013 Sonata. I just wanted to get a "free" quote for this service. I went online, filled out their form and as soon as I hit submit my phone started to ring. I was at work so I couldn't pick up, but they called three times in five minutes. The fourth time they called I was able to pick it up and I had ten minutes. In less then four minutes the sales person told me that the warranty for my car would be $4,200 paid over 18 months and what cards what I like to put it on. WHAT? Way more expensive than the dealer. When I said no thanks it dropped 50%, wow! Right there I think it might be a scam. Now this "sounds" like a good deal but it's still a good amount of money and I wanted to think and talk it over with my significant other.

The sales person says let's just put it on a card and if you decide later you can just get a refund. Right there you lost me. Any business that that uses these kind of pressures tactics usually don't pan out in the long run. Now in the beginning of this call I told him about my time restriction, 12 minutes into the call he would not let me end the conversation. I had to hang up. Maybe this is a good service? I don't know? My gut after this says stay away, be careful and if you still want to purchase this service at least turn down their first offer and make them drop at least 50%. Good luck!!

Anthony-

Our Quality Assurance Team has been advised to listen to the call you made to the office on 3/7/19. We strive to learn from every source of input available to us, to better improve our company and our customers' experience. Please be assured, we do not take these matters lightly and appropriate action will be taken should we find the allegations true.

Best Regards,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 1, 2019

Put my car the shop today at 1:00 to have my window repaired. I along with the service rep at the dealership have been trying to get a claims rep on the phone to authorize payment for the job. I am still on hold 40 minutes and counting. What must I do. This is ridiculous and I am not happy with this. This is first claim for my car. Losing my patience.

Lawrence-

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Claims processing lengthy - We went to our local Chevrolet Dealer for repair. We told them we needed them to call CarShield first but they refused. Now we are having trouble getting reimbursed by Carshield. Is this normal or not?

CarShield response

Janet- Please call customer service so we can further assist you!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Hi, I wasn’t sure what the expiration date on my contract meant. And, as I don’t want to lose the coverage, I called for some clarification. I got a satisfying answer. Thank you so much. I actually don’t have to use the coverage, meaning that there’s no problem with my car. Thanks.

CarShield response

Hi Marzena! Thank you for your support and we look forward to continuing our business with you! If there's anything you need, please give us a call.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I canceled the service after 2 months. This company is a POS. The specific issue with my truck (my AC compressor) went out. It took 2-weeks with over 6-hours of phone wait time to be transferred, transferred, and transferred again. Each person said, "No worries, it's covered on your plan." The truck sat in the shop and the only way to get them to move was to call and call again. In the end, they gave me a BS answer that it was a "preexisting condition." If something goes wrong, perhaps it was preexisting, but that's what it is for. They cover you on a specific date. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS COMPANY!!!

CarShield response

Jed-We are sorry you feel this way! We don't cover pre-existing issues, but we can negotiate the repair to save you money.

If there's anything you need, please give us a call.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Agent: Ryan **. He was very proficient, knew his job, helpful, kind, enthused, convincing, and a good experience. Glad he was very knowledgeable and very patient. He was very proficient, knew his job well and educated and intelligent. Very good communication skills.

Hello Calvin!

Welcome to CarShield!

Thanks for joining our community of consumers whom understand the importance of protecting their budgets and their vehicles an extended service contract.

If there's anything you need, please give us a call. We're here to work for you!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My experience was not pleasant because I was misled about my policy contract on what was covered and what was not. Instead of policy being broken down by category, it should also include what part is or is not covers.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Agent was informative, and polite. The agent communicated an interest in my concerns and endeavors. Hunter took time to explain all the answers to my questions. When I asked, Hunter spoke clearly to the level I could understand. Experiencing Hunter's customer service, yes I would recommend CarShield to my family and friends.

Hi Linda!

Thank you again for your time and compliment.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

You get what you pay for! Try it, you will like it! It's like comfort food for your vehicle! I never used it, but I checked with my local mechanic to see what he thought. He told me that it is a good investment to protect my vehicle.

Hi Douglas!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Either though I never had to use the service. The Customer Service I receive over the phone was excellent. In the near future, I will choose Carshield on mine next car and give recommendation to mine family and friends. For the price I got it was well worth it and inexpensive. The only probably I had was what will Carshield pay for if I needed it fix.

CarShield response

Hello Shannon! Thank you for reviewing CarShield. Even though we are sorry to see you go as a customer, we hope you keep us in mind for the future.

CarShield expert review by Lauren Fix

Customized service plans are specifically tailored to meet your needs and budget. Consumers can apply for a free quote online.

• Customizable plans: CarShield works with their customers to create truly customized plans that meet their needs and budget. This ensures that the protection plan you buy from CarShield is one that will save you money and protect your vehicle.

• 24/7 roadside assistance: CarShield’s protection plans include 24/7 roadside assistance, which means you can always get help when you need it. This also includes courtesy towing.

• Rental car provided: CarShield will provide you with a courtesy rental car so you can get on with your life while your vehicle is getting repaired.

• Transferable service contracts: Most of CarShield’s service contracts will transfer from one owner to another, which can be a major selling point when it’s time to sell your vehicle. Make sure to talk to your service representative to confirm that your contract is transferable.

• Used/pre-owned vehicles qualify: Your vehicle doesn’t need to be brand new to qualify for a service plan from CarShield. They have plans for new, used and pre-owned vehicles that can save you money on repairs and maintenance.

• Best for: CarShield’s service protection plans are best for families, new car owners and used car owners.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

CarShield Company Information