4.2/5 (1951 ratings)

About CarShield

CarShield offers customizable vehicle service contracts that cover new and used cars against malfunctions or breakdowns. Along with these extended warranties, CarShield also provides 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental vehicles. Month-to-month coverage and flexible monthly payment plans are available to fit your needs.

Pros

• More plans than many competitors
  • Contracts available in Spanish
  • Transferable warranties
  • Covers various vehicles

Cons

• Inconvenient quote process
  • Limited benefits

Bottom Line

CarShield's high points include its month-to-month and motorcycle coverage. Although CarShield's quote process isn't the best, its numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

CarShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: June 20, 2021

I have a 2012 BMW 335is. Have had the car for nine years with no issues. I joined Car Shield due to a recommendation from my mom. She has them and speaks very highly of them. I joined in Feb 2021. Had an issue with my vehicle in April. Had the car towed to the dealer. They contacted and received approval for the repairs from Car Shield. This was a great experience. I wasn't stressed out having to deal with any back and forth. BMW dealer and Car Shield were on contact with each other. I had very little worries. The repair was completed with no issues. The tow truck was scheduled by Car Shield as well.

The tow company was very informative about arrival time and was very prompt. Great customer service all around. This entire process was seamless and stress free. I did not utilize the rental car, I got a loaner vehicle from the dealer. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Car Shield. If you do not have a manufacturer warranty, I encourage you to get Car Shield. They are NOT a scam and stand behind what they offer. I will always have a vehicle warranty with them. I was not offered anything in return for my review. It is based on my own great experience with Car Shield.

Original review: May 20, 2021

I bought my vehicle used from the dealership. It came as is with no warranty. I like to have warranty on my vehicles at all times because repairs are pricey. I called for a quote. My vehicle qualified for the gold coverage plan which is fantastic because it covers everything on a vehicle that you need for your vehicle to run anyway. It covers transmission, engine, starter, alternator, fuel system, a/c... pretty much all the important stuff. I got a fantastic monthly quote and now I feel less stressed because I know CarShield will take care of me if anything happens to my vehicle.

There was a mix up with my VIN number (it was my fault) so when they sent me my contract it showed my wife’s vehicle instead of my truck. I called customer service and she was so helpful and understanding, she did a quick fix and put the correct VIN number with no problem. I have received nothing but fantastic customer service from CarShield since my first initial call. I would highly recommend CarShield to anyone who doesn’t have warranty but needs it or just likes to have it for peace of mind. I told my dad about CarShield and he got his car covered as well. He agrees that this company is awesome! I’ll be using them for years to come!

Original review: April 26, 2021

Hello I'm Bridgette ** currently an American Car Shield Policy holder **. Please see the attached contract that was emailed to me on Mar 17th 2021. I called inquiring on preventive maintenance for free tire rotation and oil change per year several weeks ago. I was told that you didn't offer that type of coverage and I stated, when I purchased the contract it was offered to me. So I requested a copy of my contract, Please see the attached. This is what was emailed to me as my policy I have just requested. I have been paying for a policy for coverage that has no record of existence. I called in just to note I'm taking my car in for an issue which would hopefully speed up the repair time by doing this.

I stated I was having a problem with my radio screen flash and not working properly and when accelerating it's sluggish accelerating up to higher speed. I have called several times, I've been transferred, hung up on, left messages for a manager to contact me, no response this has been going on for several days trying to get to the right department, actually there may be a problem that needs to be addressed, having difficulties with your transferring to another department. I really don't believe I would have gotten hung up on that many times without being rude.

Thank GOD for Kiara receiving my phone call today giving me clarity on how this could have possibly happened. When I called in to update my credit card information, and wanted to use my pre-maintenance service that was available to me at start up, but for some reason It's not on my policy, So I ask for a copy of my contract to be sent to me. This is what I received this attachment.

It has been stated to me that is a dummy contract, why would Jennifer ** send me a dummy contract for an existing policy? Now that I may need this coverage this is not on my policy, so why was it sent to me as my policy? I didn't check for a contract number. It was emailed from American Car Shield, which I personally have not had any problems with, but I have heard some complaints, since I hadn't had any issues. I choose to continue my coverage. Please Address this and do what's right by honoring what you sent to me. On the Addendum Page 13 of 13 of the attached document I can be reached at ** or by email. Please leave a message if I'm unable to take your call.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Purchased a contract with Car Shield based on your promise announced in your commercials. BUT reality was unclear. Didn't realize you would ONLY pay for repairs, and I would have to pay unforeseeable out-of-pocket labor costs, PLUS find a qualified car repair shop that accepts Car Shield first. My husband and I are very busy, but this method doubles our workload. (We live in an area with limited qualified car shops.)

Because of COVID19, I am currently unemployed and can no longer afford your monthly deductions from my account. Your customer service reps tried to save my account, and I appreciate their efforts. But I don't have the time nor money to continue to find a qualified car repair shop AND to pay you and the car repair shop for labor, too.

Therefore, I have no other choice but to CANCEL my account with Car Shield. Please inform MEPCO to stop deductions from my account. I really hope you re-engineer your business model to protect your reputation and ensure long-term sustainability. Since I have more than 11 years of B2C and B2B marketing experience, let me know if I can help you in anyway. Thank you.

CarShield response

Hey Norma,

Please note: We cannot accept cancellations here. You must contact us for this to process.

In terms of your claim, I see we are paying $568 on your window motor. We pay parts and labor. We use a nationally recognized labor guide to determine hours needed to repair parts and some repair facilities choose to overcharge for labor. In those cases, we recommend going with a different repair facility because they are overcharging and it will leave you paying more out of pocket than necessary.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I was Very Happy and Impressed by the CarShield Sales Representative, Sean **, who helped me today. Sean ** was very helpful, informative, friendly, pleasant and extremely patient with me on the phone today Wednesday, 8/19/2020. I am a retired and permanently disabled Paralegal (paralegal for 31 years) so with that being said I had lots and lots of questions for Sean but he was really good and was able to provide all the answers to my questions and he eased most of my worries about signing up with CarShield hence me moving forward and purchasing a Platinum Plan with Carshield because of Sean **'s Excellent Sales and Customer Service.

During this Current Global Pandemic it is extremely difficult to find, obtain and hold onto an Excellent Worker/Employee like Sean **. I strongly suggest that CarShield acknowledges and appreciates Excellent Workers/Employees like Sean ** and not take them for granted and like Current Democratic Presidential Candidate, Joe Biden, states: "We Must Take Care of and Compensate Well ALL Employees during these Tough Times..."

CarShield response

Hi Juliet,

Thanks for the review and kind words. Glad to see Sean was able to explain how the coverage works. I will make sure his manager sees your review! Thanks again and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Grant was caring and nice. He waited for me to write things down and for me to get payment card and for me to get pen and paper and Vin number and all other info. Thank you for your kindness Grant. It was greatly appreciated and I thank you again for your help and everything.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I wish that my service plan covered more items so that I wouldn't have to come out of pocket so much. It was a bit of a hassle between the body shop and Car Shield. I think that if a part has other parts inside of it those should also be cover by carshield.

Original review: July 19, 2021

My experience with the representative was outstanding, and she was very professional. I would highly recommend Car Shield to my family and friends. If you are looking for a great auto protection plan please consider car shield as your first choice.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I had questions regarding my coverage on my truck. How to go about obtaining service from your company. Everyone there has been helpful and kind. Especially being a female and not knowing about vehicles. I hope my first experience with your company is good.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Very pleasant conversation with the gentleman that took my call. He was very helpful and very polite. He put me at ease right away. He let me know that he was very knowledgeable about Car Shield and about my contract and the fact that I already had car shield as I never received my contract from car shield and I had forgotten that I already made a payment to this company.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Customer service has been very helpful and fast. If they don't know something they will find the answer and then get back with you. I think that Car Shield is an extremely good value with great customer service. I highly recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Had a flat tire so they sent a tow truck to change it but due to our vehicle being without a jack towed it to the nearest Les Schwab and they ended up putting four new tires on in the morning because of it being destroyed. All steps of the process went excellent and made me thankful that we have our policies with Car Shield!!

Original review: July 18, 2021

Very pleased with your product. Will tell all my friends about your fast service and professionalism. The person who helped was very helpful and explained how your product worked. I try to keep up with with the different services on my vehicle. You were there when I needed you. I am one satisfied customer.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I have been with you guys for a couple of years. I really enjoy the service you provide and I look forward bring it on my next vehicle with you. I hope you all have a wonderful year. I will be bringing on about three more vehicles. You guys have the best warranty I have ever seen. One is a 1986 Chevy pick up, in Great condition, very low milesm 65,000 original miles and the other one is a Volkswagen 2018 with 32,000 miles then I have a 2010 Corvette convertible with 1900 miles on it original.

Original review: July 18, 2021

The technicians did an excellent job. The representative for Car Shield was very professional and did a great keeping me the loop throughout the entire process. A shoot out to the adjuster who call several times to ensure I was taken care of.

CarShield Company Information