4.4/5 (2174 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About CarShield

CarShield offers customizable vehicle service contracts that cover new and used cars against malfunctions or breakdowns. Along with these extended warranties, CarShield also provides 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental vehicles. Month-to-month coverage and flexible monthly payment plans are available to fit your needs.

Pros

• More plans than many competitors offer
  • Plans start at $79 per month
  • Month-to-month plans available
  • Covers cars with up to 300,000 miles

Cons

• Rental reimbursement isn’t standard

Bottom Line

CarShield's high points include its month-to-month and motorcycle coverage. Although CarShield's quote process isn't the best, its numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

CarShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Was looking for authorized repair facilities in suburban Detroit, MI area. Customer service representative was very helpful. I was provided with list for (17) locations. It turned out I did not need the service but I am glad to know I have the proper coverage. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Thank you CarShield for everything!! Quick and easy and all I had to was pay my deductible! Excellent! Thank you!! So much for a painless experience with me being a new customer. I’ll always keep CarShield. They even came and picked up my car with a tow truck driver and everyone was super nice and professional!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

A quote with Carshield is suggested by me to friends and family. Anything is possible when you are on the road to success. My experience with carshield till today have proven to date the company's roadside assistance feedback. Many car coverages have names of all sorts of kinds by the true said of carshield. I Stanley ** is satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

My experience has been one of a used car salesman who begins high and keep lowering the price. My issue was that I would not decide to purchase Car Shield until I decided to keep the car I had. Finally the last guy I talked to heard that and respected my right to choose what to do. Of course the lower cost helped my wife decide. Being on fixed income, make us choose wisely, and we resist high pressure sales.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Agent was patient and very helpful. Knew what policy was best for me. Agent shared with me all options associated with my purchase. Shared with me the benefits of adding all my vehicles which I am in the process of doing.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Trying to get a lower rate due to me being out of work for a while due to sickness, I was very pleased with help I received from the customer representative who helped me. He was very professional and understand, we need more people like him in the world helping others

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

CarShield was there when I needed it most, they offer service for cars over 200k and that made me feel very good knowing they handle the type of cars I own and drive. Makes you feel good knowing you are driving with confidence having warranty.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Customer service provided very good clarity on the process for service repair. Currently have received a diagnosis of a bad turbo charger for my 2015 Range Rover Evoque when last taken to Hennessy Land Rover in Atlanta Georgia. I have an appointment for service on September 26, 2022..

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Very good customer service. My rep gave me good information on my plan. I found about CarShield thru a family member and will recommend them to my friends and family. I will not have to worry about car dealerships trying to overcharge for auto parts outside of my extended warranty

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I am very satisfied with the service I got from CarShield. They did just what they said, I called, put my car in a auto shop of my choice. The mechanic fixed my car and I picked up with no problems at all. Great service from CarShield.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

The problem was handled in a very professional manner. It turned out the letter was from another company trying to get my business. I called Car shield to make sure my rates were not going up was told my rates were staying the same.

CarShield response

We're happy to hear this. Let us know if you need anything else.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I didn't have to hold long on these 2 calls, and I was immediately called back on one call with additional information. I spoke with a number of reps in different areas. All employees were very helpful, kind and very patient for some of the things I inquired about. But Robert went above with kindness, patience and was very knowledgeable. Thank you all and God Bless!

CarShield response

Thank you for your review. Glad to see our customer service was able to help you out so quickly. Please contact us if you have any other questions.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Representative was very helpful and accurate. Appreciate her help in getting my account straightened out for me. I am really glad that I have Car Shield, I have only used it maybe once or twice but it came in handy when I needed it the most. Thank you Car Shield for being there when I needed you.

CarShield response

We are pleased to hear you found our customer service team helpful! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Very nice protection plan for any vehicle. Never need to worry if you’re going in the long trip so I would keep this kind of protection plan, I think everyone should get protection plan from CarShield. It’s really nice company, thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

CarShield response

We appreciate your time and we are glad you took the opportunity to protect your vehicle. If you have any questions give us a call!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

My check was not deposited at work due to a technicality and CarShield reps are helpful and understanding and easy to work with on matters out of my control. I have never had anyone be rude or make me feel uncomfortable explaining my situation.My check was not deposited at work due to a technicality and CarShield reps are helpful and understanding and easy to work with on matters out of my control. I have never had anyone be rude or make me feel uncomfortable explaining my situation.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Canceling my policy for the Chevy Blazer because I don't own it anymore. And it will save me money that I don't have to spend. It's a good policy for 19:99 a month. But I sold it earlier today. But I still have my GMC Envoy.

CarShield response

We're definitely sorry to see you go and appreciate your time to leave a review. If you ever want a start back up with us, we're just a phone call away!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

It was great knowing I would have extended car coverage on my vehicle. The best coverage available for my monthly payment. It’s so refreshing to know that there is such coverage available. To know that this review is done honorably with no intention of receiving any type of compensation.

CarShield response

We appreciate your support. If you have any questions don't hesitate to give us a call!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Matt ** was a great customer service rep. He explained everything to me and he was very helpful. I really appreciate him explaining the program in a calm manner. I would refer a family or a friend. I'm looking forward to using Carshield in the future. Thanks again Matt **.

CarShield response

Thank you for your review and we are always here to help. Please give us a call if you need anything else!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Hey buddy on CarShield was willing to listen and cared and made sure that everything went smoothly. Took a little more time but that was because I had Covid but they understood and it was a great experience to deal with professional people. Truly customer service at its best.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

The experience has been wonderful. Very helpful representatives who explained everything and answered questions I had. Very satisfied 'new' customer. I will share this product and service with others close to me. I believe many people overlook the coverage of their vehicle, or lack thereof especially when it is a pre-certified, used, or older vehicle where the manufacturer's warranty has expired.

CarShield response

Thanks for the review and welcome to CarShield! Thank you for choosing us! We want to make sure you're completely satisfied with your policy, so please contact us with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your coverage.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I am in the process of buying a new car and was wondering how Car Shield would work with the purchase of said new car. I also wanted to know if the contract that I have with Car Shield is comparable to the one that Toyota wants me to buy into. My contract with Car Shield covers what Toyota is offering. So I think that I am good with Car Shield.

CarShield response

We are pleased to hear our team was able to answer any questions you had. Thank you again for your time.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

5 minutes after joining I called to give my correct mileage and they sent me a message a week later telling me to submit mileage. So this was the reason for the call to give actual mileage again. Hopefully they will not ask again.

CarShield response

Thank you so much for calling back so quickly to correct your mileage! The email you received is an automated one that gets sent out shortly after setting up coverage, just as a reminder to those who may have forgotten. You can disregard it and will not receive another one. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Car Shield Customer Service agents are polite and very knowledgeable, that's the only good thing about Car Shield. I owned a Jeep Cherokee, and had car CarShield for 4 months when my Jeep broke down with a service transmission and check engine light at my local Chrysler dealership. When I bought my policy I was informed that I can take my Jeep to any official FCA Dealership to have my vehicle repaired. It turned out after speaking with every Chrysler Dealership in north Metro Detroit, they all informed me that they no longer accept CarShield.

I called Customer Service they located another shop 5 miles away, but after talking to the shop manager myself, he informed me that he does not do transmission work. I called Customer Service again. They found a transmission shop that was 18 miles away that located in below I-696 and on Gratiot Ave. I am familiar with that area my family used live in that area over 30 years ago, and it's a very impoverished and unsafe part of Metro Detroit even 30 years later. I had to wait over 4 hours to get a tow truck move my car to the transmission shop. I later on learned from a friend that lived in the area and local reviews, that the transmission shop was notorious for jerry rigging vehicles and charging customer's for unneeded repairs. They took over a week to look at my vehicle, they said that nothing was wrong with the transmission but they found a EVAP code for a O2 sensor.

They informed me that they were solely a Transmission shop which was not the truth, this same shop worked on my friend's car that had needed engine and suspension work. I paid the 75 dollar inspection fee which is not covered by CarShield and the shop informed that my Jeep was drivable. At this point I gave up having my car fixed through CarShield, and I contacted a local mechanic that I trusted to inspect and fix my Jeep.

I contacted CarShield Roadside Assistance for another tow truck to move my Jeep since I did not want to risk another break down and don't trust the advise of the Transmission shop. Called 11:15 am, I was promised by the Tow Truck Company's dispatch a 1 hour wait, but I was left stranded for almost 8 hours in an unsafe area. I called the tow truck company 8 times with no answer. After 6 hours I called Roadside Assistance to dispatch a different truck. They ended rebooking with same Tow company that left me stranded all this time. At this point contact my family to help me move my Jeep another shop. About 2 hours later my brother, mother, and I limped my Jeep to next shop over 14 miles away. I got my Jeep fixed by my Mechanic which I paid out of pocket.

From my experience, I can tell you that Car Shield Roadside assistance is unreliable and you are better off using AAA Roadside assistance. Car Shield's Technician network is very limited, especially if you own a Stellantis/Chrysler product in Metro Detroit. There no more Chrysler dealerships with ASE Mechanics in Metro Detroit that will accept CarShield. The very few shops that they have available for covered transmission work in Metro Detroit are either over 3 weeks behind on services or known for poor workmanship. CarShield is not worth the cost, you are honestly better off finding another warranty Company or paying for the repair yourself at a trusted mechanic.

CarShield response

We're so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, our claims administrator's Roadside Assistance department is only responsible for locating companies in your area that are able to provide towing services, provide them with your information and send them your way, but if there was an issue with the tow company getting to you, it is their specific tow company that did not provide you with good service, and we are very sorry to hear about that. As far as dealerships not wanting to work with us, unfortunately, it's not usually the reasons you think. Some shops refuse to take any outside coverage because they want to be in charge of their own prices. There is a nationally recognized labor guide that tells repair facilities what to charge for what services and things like that. But it's up to each individual shop whether or not they want to follow it. With coverage like ours, we keep shops from overcharging our customers and shops don't always like that. We’re happy to stand on our record of servicing over 2 million customers and our 17 years in business. Not to mention our claims department pays out over $5 million in claims every month. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to give us a call anytime.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

My service with CarShield is good. Have two car with car shield and I drop one off. In future will add another car. Everyone I talk with talk highly about car shield. I have not heard anything negative about car shield. Thanks so much for your service car shield.

CarShield response

We're happy to hear this. Let us know if you need anything else.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Many companies have called me to offer this service, and I never accepted them, but when I had the opportunity to speak with one of the representatives at CarShield, and observe their professionalism and the way they explained the program to me, I loved it. I have not used this service yet, but I hope that if this happens, they will be just as professional. Excellent service.

CarShield response

Thank you for the review and when your vehicle does encounter a repair, don't hesitate to give us a call! In the meantime, if you have any questions about your policy or what is covered and what is not, please let us know.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

You guys have been great so far. Please keep it up because you guys have helped a lot of people and I have heard good things about Car Shield, I would tell other people and friends about you guys. I had my car in the shop and you treated me fair.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Check engine light came on and my Vamos unit is going up. Now I have to get a “tear down” to the problematic components. It’s scary they say if they deny it then I will have to pay $1200 for it but I haven’t breached my contract in any way so I don’t see any possible way that could happen so I’m scheduling it today!

CarShield response

We appreciate your support and review. If you have any questions about your policy don't hesitate to give us a call!

Resolution response: Sept. 27, 2022

ACS reached out to me and we were able to resolve our differences. Case is now closed.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I purchased CarShield after a pricey repair ($1600.00+). When it was time for more repairs, I called CarShield and asked what to do prior to bringing my car in. I was instructed to bring the car in to the repair shop and give the person checking me in numbers to reach CarShield and start a claim. I was told by the CarShield representative that would be all I needed to do. This was in the beginning of August (8/8/22). After leaving my car in the repair shop for a few days, I received a call from the shop with estimates on when parts would arrive, and work would be done (late September). I was also told they couldn't get in touch with anyone at CarShield to start a claim and find out what was needed which prompted me to call CarShield for help.

I was told by CarShield the repair shop needed to send documentation. This is something that should have been communicated between CarShield. I relayed the information to the repair shop who informed me CarShield was not very responsive. Five weeks later, the repair shop called me to say my car was ready however they've not had any communication with CarShield. Again, I called CarShield to see what was holding up the process and was told the repair shop should reach out to the adjustor with a final invoice and after 2 hours, payment would be send. As this was the end of the day, the repair shop and I agreed to speak in the morning. Again, I relayed the information, and the invoice was sent.

The next day I checked in with the repair shop to see if payment had been received so I could pick up my car and found no payment had been received. Both the repair shop and I called CarShield. I spoke to representatives who said they'd check on it. After getting off the phone with CarShield, I received a phone call from the dealership stating, "I'm so sorry to tell you this but CarShield is saying they aren't paying the claim because the work was not approved. When I asked them why they didn't tell us what they needed, the person on the phone replied, 'It's in her contract'". NO ONE at CarShield mentioned this to the repair shop nor did they tell me when I called (as I shouldn't have had to).

I immediately called CarShield and received someone who spoke to an adjustor and confirmed the claim was denied because work was done prior to approval. I asked how this could be possible as both the repair shop and I were in communication with CarShield through the entire experience. The reply I received was, "Sorry, it's in your contract". That day I ended my contract with such a SCANDALOUS company. Needless to say, in order to get my car, I had to pay $1900.00

CarShield response

We do apologize to hear about your situation, however, this is not completely accurate. We show that there were only three communications between you and the claims department before the repairs were performed without authorization. One was the shop calling in to start the claim, where they were asked for a diagnostic and estimate to be sent in. Documents were sent in and uploaded to the file. You called in asking for an update and were advised that the documents were under review. Once they were reviewed, claims spoke one more time with the shop letting them know that the documents they sent in were service records, not a diagnostic and estimate that was originally requested. So, it was requested again. The next time we heard from anyone was halfway through September and the repairs had already been performed on the vehicle. We do apologize, however, it appears that this denial was based on a lack of communication from the shop and them not sending in the proper documentation that was requested the very first time they called in. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to give us a call.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Identity theft. Thank you for waiting on the investigation & new bank card to make the monthly payment. It is terrible to go through this, but many evil people in this world. Times are tough & some will commit crimes to survive.

CarShield response

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

Great service. We were only in the warranty for a short time so we never know really. Got to use it because we bought a new car and it came with a 7 year warranty with another company. We would recommend this company to anyone because we believe that it is a good one.

CarShield Company Information