Find the Best Assisted Living in Boston, MA
Top 7 Boston Assisted Living Facilities
|Atria Senior Living||Read 17 Reviews|
210+ senior living communities specializing in assisted living, memory care, independent living and short-term stays in 26 states. Family resources include an affordability calculator, veteran benefits and web pay capabilities.
|Landmark at Longwood||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, independent living and memory care at its facility in Boston. Provides special therapies for residents who need it. Conducts fitness, art and cooking classes for residents.
|Standish Village||Read Author Review|
Offers pet-friendly assisted living and memory care at its facility in Boston. Provides an entertainment program that includes off-campus excursions and on-site activities and classes.
|The Gables at Winchester||Read Author Review|
Offers pet-friendly assisted living, independent living, rehabilitation service and short-term stays in Winchester. Provides an on-site beauty salon, a recreation center and multiple options for apartment floor plans.
|The Parc at Harbor View||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, independent living and memory care at its facility in Winthrop. Engages residents with its classes and on-site activities.
|The Residence at Melrose Station||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living and memory care for older adults. Provides on-site social activities, dining services and plenty of outdoor space. Includes a library, a beauty salon and a bistro on the property.
|Visiting Nurse Assisted and Senior Living Communities||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, hospice care and memory care in Somerville. Provides access to hiking trails, a garden, an on-site gym and communal spaces. Helps residents stay healthy with an on-site dietician.
What to know about assisted living in Boston
When searching for an assisted living facility, it’s important to think about not only the community’s services and prices but also the city's liveability, especially for older people. Consider the following:
- Boston’s regulations: In Massachusetts, assisted living facilities must be certified with the Executive Office of Elder Affairs. This certification requires that facilities have certain safety measures, services and staff in place to protect residents.
- Boston’s weather: With cold winters and mild summers, Boston is better suited for older adults who love the snow. Make sure the facility you choose has appropriate plans in place to keep walking paths clear of snow and ice, as well.
- Boston’s public transit: Boston's public transportation system, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), covers a lot of the Greater Boston area. The MBTA offers discounted rates for older adults with the Senior CharlieCard too.
- Massachusetts’ taxes: Adults living in Massachusetts do not have to pay taxes on Social Security benefits or public pension income.
How much does assisted living cost in Boston?
Assisted living costs in Boston average $3,966 per month, but the assisted living prices depend on each facility’s:
- Level of care
Older adults that require less support can usually get a cheaper package than those who require intensive medical care. Similarly, certain amenities, like outings, may require a separate fee, increasing your total price.
If you are finding it difficult to pay for assisted living, consider utilizing the following state-run programs:
Boston assisted living FAQ
- What is the difference between assisted living and nursing homes in Boston?
- Assisted living facilities provide help with daily tasks and occasional medical care while encouraging residents to enjoy their independence and participate in social activities. Nursing homes are more focused on residents’ medical care and physical well-being, generally allowing for less independence.
- What qualifies a person for an assisted living facility in Boston?
- Exact requirements depend on the facility you choose. Most communities require residents to be a certain age and cannot accept residents with extreme medical needs. However, if the facility offers skilled nursing or memory care, it may accept a greater range of residents than facilities that just offer assisted living.
- Does insurance help pay for assisted living in Massachusetts?
- No, private insurance usually does not cover assisted living in Massachusetts. However, the state Medicaid plan, MassHealth, can cover part of the costs associated with assisted living for qualified individuals. Contact a Medicaid representative for more information.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Boston assisted living company information
Landmark at Longwood offers assisted living, independent living and memory care within the New England Baptist Hospital campus. The facility provides speech therapy and occupational therapy along with long-term retirement care. Residents can enjoy a wide range of amenities, including private dining rooms, a beauty salon and barbershop, religious services, lectures, discussions, book clubs, a fitness room, yoga, gardening, cooking, and arts and crafts. The facility also offers financial advice and home sale assistance. Landmark Senior Living, this community’s parent company, has other locations across Massachusetts, including facilities in Fall River and Beverly.
- Located in: Boston
- Address: 63 Parker Hill Ave., Boston, MA 02120
- Phone: (617) 616-8510
- Website: landmarkseniorliving.com/communities/longwood
Standish Village provides assisted living and memory care. The facility is known for its EnrichedLIFE programs that include music, drama, poetry, concerts, chorus, museum visits, painting, quilting and ceramics. Residents can also enjoy sightseeing tours, cultural events, dining out and shopping excursions organized by the team. Staff members work with residents and their families to find plans they can afford. Senior Living Residences, Standish Village’s parent company, operates 14 other communities throughout Massachusetts, with more in Connecticut and New Hampshire.
- Located in: Boston
- Address: 1190 Adams St., Boston, MA 02124
- Phone: (617) 298-5656
- Website: seniorlivingresidences.com
Visiting Nurse Assisted and Senior Living Communities provides assisted living, hospice care, medication management, physical therapy and memory care. Residents can access a variety of amenities, including party space, a shopping center, Wi-Fi, hiking trails, a garden patio, book clubs, a gym and parking. The facility also has emergency response systems and smoke detectors for safety. There is an on-site dietician to offer nutritional guidance and expert meal preparation too.
- Located in: Somerville
- Address: 259 Lowell St., Somerville, MA 02144
- Phone: (617) 776-9800
- Website: vnaem.org
The Gables at Winchester offers a range of living options, including studio and one- and two-bedroom apartments. Prices start at $5,200 per month at the time of publishing. The facility has a large activity center for recreation, along with a full-service barbershop and beauty salon. It also allows pets and regular guest visits. Five Star Senior Living, The Gables at Winchester’s parent company, operates assisted living facilities in select states nationwide.
- Located in: Winchester
- Address: 299 Cambridge St., Winchester, MA 01890
- Phone: (339) 645-0405
- Website: fivestarseniorliving.com
The Parc at Harbor View offers assisted living, independent living and memory care. The staff provides medication management, laundry services, and assistance with dressing and mobility. The facility hosts a Life-Long Learning series, cocktail-hours and fitness classes.
- Located in: Winthrop
- Address: 46 Lincoln St., Winthrop, MA 02152
- Phone: (617) 207-3009
- Website: parcatharborview.com
The Residence at Melrose Station offers assisted living and memory care. It provides a large variety of social engagement activities, like frequent outdoor activities and cocktail gatherings. Residents also have access to a luxurious dining room, a rooftop patio deck and ample parking space. The Residence at Melrose Station’s parent company, LCB Senior Living, has 12 other communities throughout Massachusetts in Ashland, Dartmouth, Dedham, Hingham, Easton, North Chelmsford, Reading, Shrewsbury, Ipswich, Swampscott, Watertown and Wayland.
- Located in: Melrose
- Address: 158 Essex St., Melrose, MA 02176
- Phone: (617) 440-9403
- Website: lcbseniorliving.com
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.