1.13/5
Based on 165 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

189 Ferrellgas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We've been with them for over six years, but have had way too many problems when we moved from Kansas to Nebraska at end of 2015. Multiple times making a simple order have been messed up and I'm so done with them!!! We get limited funding through the state and have little extra right now to offer. But yet again they want to take $75 for a leak test that doesn't even take 5 minutes to complete. They also won't do a partial order, but we can't wait several weeks for the state to simply decide to give us more funding and then several weeks beyond that to provide the actual payment for the propane!!! Shame on them, if it was natural gas they'd be forced to continue to provide through winter months so crap like this doesn't happen!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

The first time I used Ferrell was to refill my fireplace tank behind my house. They were supposed to arrive during the day but ended up showing up at 9 pm in the pitch dark. The driver left a rut in the neighbor's yard and complained about the size of my tank before leaving. I figured it was a one-time thing. I later scheduled an appointment for a gas line inspection. They gave me a window of 8am-10am. First off, they never sent me an appointment notification or anything, it was just a verbal confirmation over the phone. I call in the morning to confirm that the inspector is coming. They say he'll be there by 10. I wait. I wait some more. I call in and they tell me the inspector won't be able to make it and that they had a note in their CRM to reschedule my appointment, but never did. I asked them to send me possible dates to my email. Still haven't heard from them. I'm incredibly upset with their poor communication and service.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We've been Ferrellgas customers for 12+ years now. When it counts, in the winter months, Ferrellgas never shows up sooner than their projected "end date". On one occasion when our propane wasn't delivered at all, they tried to charge us the $200 emergency delivery fee. Currently, we've been out of propane for 3 days now. We ordered on 1/31/19 & were given a promised delivery no later than 2/11/19. We called 3x on 2/8/19 for a status and were told multiple times we WOULD see them that day. We never did. Now it is our promised date, 2/11/19, and they won't deliver because of the snow. We rely on propane for heat, hot water & our stove, so we've had none of those things for 3 days now, and we have small children.

This is a common occurrence. We have no recourse and are forced to sit and wait with no delivery date. Customer service agents are rude, impatient and not helpful. I'm constantly told I need to try to understand... as I sit here 11 days after I called for a fill without propane for 3 days now with kids and no hot water or heat. Yes, I should learn to be more understanding. This is not a company that we feel has ever gone the extra mile for their customers & doesn't fulfill their promises. If you have a choice, DO NOT choose this company! Save yourself the work and worry.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have only used Ferrellgas twice now. I called on January 8th and paid them in full to come fill up my tank as I was down to only 50 gallons. They told me they would be out. A few days later called back as no one had shown up - they say they be there sometime between January 8th and January 22nd. On January 15th, my gas ran out. I called again. The only thing they would say is they will try to get there before the 22nd. So another 7 days without heat. They sure didn't mind taking my money on the 8th.

On the 22nd I called to ensure they would be there. NOPE. They couldn't fit me into their logistics schedule. Guess too many people were paying that $150 or $200 fee for waiting until the last minute to fill their tank. So the regular customers who paid on time and before they ran out of gas didn't matter. It is all about the money to them. They could care less about their customers. They did finally deliver my gas today, it only took them SIXTEEN (yes, 16 days to get to my house). Last time I will be using this gas company. They are horrible.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

We have had an auto-fill account for years - this year in one of the coldest winters, they did not come to fill our tank from September up until now in January. We never expected they would leave us without gas in the middle of the winter which we use for heating, cooking, hot water. Their customer service is awful and we are now being held hostage not knowing when they are coming and if the driver will remember to come in and re-light the pilots. My husband is very ill and so this is truly critical to his health. They were rude and do not seem to care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ferrellgas?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Ferrellgas propane has put pride and money in front of customer service! They had no issue whatsoever turning off our propane tank that they had just filled and red tagging it so we could not touch it until at their convenience they got out here to fix it! And I would not be so upset over this except for the fact that we have two kids in the dead of winter that we're trying to keep warm, hence the point of us getting propane!

After calling the company and demanding a credit towards our account since we had to put more money into small tanks since they refused to get out here until almost a week later to get the Big tank going...they are still refusing to do a credit towards our account! I have never been so upset with a company on how they handled our situation, and how much they truly do not care about their customers if it affects their bottom line!! I do have to give a positive shout out to the driver and the inspector that I dealt with directly, they were awesome! But the regional manager really screwed up with a brand new customer!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

If ** your customers is what you consider great service then I suppose Ferrellgas would be doing well. We ran out of propane last week and had to call for an emergency fill. We were told it was a $100 fee plus the cost of the fuel and their ridiculous surcharges. The price per gallon was 20 cents more than their competitor. But what choice did we have? It is a Ferrellgas tank. We were totally at their mercy and they took advantage of us. Their competitor does not charge a ridiculous fee for emergencies and there are no fuel surcharges. Congratulations to Ferrellgas for losing another customer. No wonder nobody in our neighborhood uses their services. We're switching to KC Propane out of Riverside, CA. When we explained what happened to us they balked at what we had told them and explained that they would never take advantage of their customers in that way.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I ran out of propane Saturday night so I couldn't call Ferrell until Monday. Ferrellgas said they would come that day if I would pay the 150$ penalty. I told them I couldn't afford the extra charge so they told me it could be up to a week... knowing we're in a cold spell with evening temps around 18 degrees. They were closed Tuesday. I called Wednesday morning hoping they would come today. The Ferrellgas big tank the trucks refill at is 3 miles from me. Sarah the employee in customer service said it might not be till next week and I asked her, "Aren't there any service calls near me..." She said she had no idea.

So I asked if anyone there knew if there were other calls in my area and she hung up on me. I called back and asked to speak to a supervisor and they said no one was available to talk to me but an email would be sent to the super. Looking at a week with no heat or hot water. Ferrellgas is a despicable company that will provide poor service and gouge the customer at every chance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This is the most horrific company to try and deal with! They have a lot of girls doing nothing there! I had a heart transplant and they felt me so much trouble and would not fill my tank because a competitor AmeriGas (now another company and I can see why) had put a sticker on it! I had to get out of the house and drive there and show them the bill of sale for my tank! They took the LIAR’S word at AmeriGas that it was his! You can call them for gas and they will let you run out. I think maybe for REVENGE. I have been in the cold house now 2 nights and it looks like I will be there for several more! So much help when you walk in but NoBody does **! They have no regard for the old and disabled AT ALL! Suck ** company. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get natural gas or electric!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

In Oct 2018 I called Ferrellgas to install 500 gallon propane tank. I paid for installation and tank fillup. I told them that county required permit. They said they would inform service. After two weeks no one called with installation date so I called back. Jesse from service called with a date of Nov 19th. I told him that permit was required. He said this would take another month for installation to be done. He would call back with date. I called once, sometimes twice a week for a month. Never got a callback. The last time I called, which was a few days ago, sales said she would call service and ask why the holdup. She was told that the permit is a multi step process and they have to work with the builder. BUILDER?? WHAT BUILDER?? Told her that was BS.

The propane tank is for a 22k generator. Told her I was going to call another company. Spoke to another propane company in the area. She said no problem with the permit. Either I can pick it up or they can. Told her I would pick it up, which I did the next day. Took 5 minutes in the inspector's office. All Ferrellgas had to do was talk to me to resolve the issue. Ferrellgas did refund my money with no problem. Because of their incompetence, delays, lies and horrible customer service, I have no power because of the snowstorm in southwest Virginia. If they had done what they were supposed to, I wouldn't be sitting here by the light of a lantern. Think twice about contacting them. All I wanted was a callback. Shouldn't have waited so long to cancel the order. Hope you're smarter than I was.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I use gas logs so I need propane. I was told I could not get gas unless I pay 330.00. They stated they do not fill under 100 gallon. I just talk to my uncle. He stated that he get 50 gallon all the time. I think I am going to go to another company. If I have to be told how much gas to get why purchase from this company. I am from North Carolina.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I prepaid for 150 gallons and driver put in 200+ gallons. His mistake. Got a bill just 5 days later saying we owe $98 for the extra gas. Letter said I quote "Your account is past due. Late payments can affect your credit." WHAT!!?? Called the main office and had to kick and scream to get this bill canceled. DRIVER FAULT! Never using Ferrellgas again!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Our home is heated with propane. I ordered a tank and fill up from Ferrellgas. Things went well in set up over the phone. The company said they deliver an agreed upon dollar amount ($200) and I would pay that amount in full upon delivery. On the delivery date, the company filled the 500 gallon tank and billed me for over $1000 in propane. The driver was unaware of our agreement and did not bother to rectify the situation.

I called customer service and told them what happened. They offered to let us make payments to the account and agreed to lower the bill as well. They were back in no time again filling the tank without our approval. We have since switched to another company. Ferrellgas was notified over a year ago to pick up their tank. It is still sitting in my yard, an ugly eyesore! I emailed them again today but doubt that it will help- they are a horrible company to deal with! Buyer beware. The worst thing is they prey upon people who need propane for heat or cooking, and exploit them, overcharging and taking advantage of them in their time of need. They should be ashamed!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have been a customer since 2003. Prior to 2010, I paid my invoice upon delivery. In 2011, I suffered a severe back injury and was granted SSD. I called the company and explained the situation. I was told that they would accept monthly payment which I did every month. Last year, I was told that my account was no longer in good standing and I would have to pay in full before delivery. I borrowed money and did so. Afterwards I called the district office and raised "heck". I was told that a memo would be on my account granting monthly payments. I recently called for delivery and was told my acct was no longer valid. I explained...again...and the secretary basically said "tough **". I asked to speak to the mgrs and was told she wasn't going to bother him with such a poor excuse. This is the rudest, inconsiderate, lying bunch of crooks I have ever known. I cannot believe the BBB hasn't shut them down.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Would leave no stars if I could! Stay AWAY from Ferrellgas. Monday Sept. 17th I called around to different gas companies getting quotes. Was given quote of $1.09 gallon from Ferrellgas, so I told the lady I would like to order 200 gallons. They asked about information that would be on a metal tag, which I was unable to see, because of a wood box around the tank. I told them I wasn’t even sure if there was a tag. They made it out like it wasn’t a big deal and they would send someone out to inspect the tank.

Wednesday Sept. 19th since I wasn’t told how long it would take for them to come out, and they didn’t make it sound like a long time, I decided to call back as this was an emergency and they were aware of such. When I called I was told they would no longer be coming out for inspection, I had to find the tag or they couldn’t fill the tank, so I told them I would tear off part of the box, look for it better and call them back. I gave them all the information off the tank. Now they are coming out, but they want me to pay upfront before they come out (which I didn’t realize until talking to others I should not have done so), and price is now over $300. I asked why I was not told my price would change waiting on them, she really didn’t answer that, but would see what she could get it down to, which turned out to be $1.15 gal, so I paid.

Friday Sept. 21st driver came out, office called. They will not fill tank because of box (we had a dozen conversations about said box, why just now a problem) and wrong regulator, however they did not give me any options, so I told them I would call my husband and call them back. Called back. This lady seemed shocked. The driver didn’t bother to call (I was too as I could have been there in 5 mins). She was suppose to get information on what I needed to do and call me back. That weekend I had had enough and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Tuesday Sept. 25th Bismark office calls, said she spoke with her office manager and they decided they were not going to provide service to me. I guess they didn’t like that I filed a complaint. Saturday Sept. 29th I still have not received my refund and have had to pay for propane somewhere else, on top of what I have already paid for with Ferrellgas. All this might not look so bad if I didn’t call another company to come out that I called on the 24th and had propane by the 27th. Apparently it wasn’t that big of a deal for someone who is honest. We did have to change out two regulators, which Rough Riders did for us right then and there, along with a pressure test. They were professional and had amazing customer service.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We live in Upstate New York. Ferrellgas let us run out of fuel in the middle of winter when it was 40 below last year. Then they left their tanks here for 2 months thereafter. The worst!!! They kept telling us that they were going to bring us fuel but they didn't; wouldn't commit to a date as our tanks drained down to nothing. They didn't care. We almost had to move out of our place, and were worried about pipes freezing. If there was a zero rating I'd rate them 0.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Stay away from this company. When my now husband and I bought our first home 6 years ago, Ferrellgas had a tank here. We were young and didn't have much money, so we only had it filled when we needed it, since we only use it for water. They told us the tank was ours, and since we only use propane for water, why not get a smaller tank? We would just have to make payments on it. We said no, we'll just keep the bigger tank since we don't have to pay on it. Things were fine for a few years.

Fast forward to early 2016, someone we know who also uses them recommended we to auto fill with budget billing. We look into it, and we're told based off our current usage we would only pay 40.00 a month, and they come out when it gets down to between 20 and 21% left in the tank. It went great! For a year. We increased our usage by a little bit, and knew when it was time to be reevaluated for our new payment it wasn't going to be 40.00 we anticipated somewhere in the 100s, because even though we increased a little bit of our usage, we didn't increase it THAT much. Near the end of 2016 my husband was laid off of work, and it took two weeks of saving unemployment just to pay rent.

The other two weeks went to paying the car. Somehow though, we still made sure to pay Ferrellgas. As it began to get closer to the time of us being reevaluated, I noticed they were coming out to fill our tank A LOT more. There was no way we were at 20% yet, since they had just came not very long before that. They still come a few more times, and when we get our new notice of how much our monthly payment was going to cost us, it said over $300.00! We called and asked them if that was right, and when she said yes we told her we didn't understand how it jumped that much. She tells us they undercharged us for the previous year. How is that our fault? We told her if we had 300 a month to set aside for just propane, we wouldn't be on budget billing, and we're not paying that outrageous amount each month, is there some way they could work with us.

They tell us to figure it out, and we have to pay our monthly payment in full. I tell her there's no way we can do that. Fast forward to now, we had to file bankruptcy because as much as we're trying to get everything that built up over the time my husband was laid off, even with him making better money now, it's just impossible to do all that, pay our things on time, and still find a way to eat as well. We included our debt to Ferrellgas in that (over $3,000). Fast forward to a few days ago, a man shows up at my door saying he's here to take the tank. I tell him the company said I own that tank. He leaves it here and tells me to call them to get it figured out. Now, I don't plan on using the tank, and my husband and I are purchasing a new hot water tank that won't run off of propane that way we won't need propane in the house for anything.

However, I'm curious as to how they could come take it when they told me 6 years ago I owned it (and if it wasn't for the fact of them telling me I owned it, I wouldn't care if they took it or not). I called and told her someone just tried to remove my tank, even though I own it, according to them. She informs me that I don't own it, and it's being taken since our account is written off as a bad balance (or however she worded it, either way I figured that's why they were at my door just a half hour beforehand). I told her about how we were paying everything on time, until they came and started filling us non stop right before it was time to figure out our new payment, even though we weren't at 20-21% at each of those last fills. She then informs me in the winter they come out when it's at 30% (and they only fill it to 50%, but she didn't think I knew that).

I told her that no one informed us of that when we signed up (which was in the winter by the way. And the first year we were on the auto fill they only came when the tank was in the 20's, and didn't start coming when it was in the 30's until our anniversary date was coming up). She continued to tell me that we could've turned off auto fill in the summer months. As far as we knew, once we said no more auto fill it was completely done with, and that would've messed with our budget billing each month. I tell her all of this info would've been nice when we first signed up.

She then tells me they'll leave my tank if I pay my balance, or do something to show I'm trying to correct everything, and she'll get back to me later with that balance. I tell her we tried to get something figured out, but they never tried to work with us and told us to "just figure it out, and we need to pay what owe each month is full" and I told her not to bother looking for the balance, we included this debt with the bankruptcy. She immediately tells me if I don't pay the over 3,000 I owe (which just seconds before she didn't know what I owed), they were taking the tank and even if we tried to set up a new account with them, we'd still have to pay it before they did anything for us.

I proceed to tell her I didn't include over $3,000 of debt into a bankruptcy just to still pay it, and to think I would try to have another account with them was hilarious because I'd never bother with them again to even try to give them another opportunity to screw me over the way they have. She tells me it was all on my papers, and her advice to me was to keep an eye on everything with the next company I go to, or I'll be in the same situation. The only papers I ever got from them were the receipt left by the driver saying he filled it, and my letter saying I was going to owe them 300 a month at the next billing date. Had they just been upfront and honest with us beforehand, we would've been able to avoid this whole ridiculous mess.

They lie and hide company practices so they can charge you to the moon and back out of nowhere, then say it's your fault for not knowing. They take no responsibility for anything they say or do to their customers, and working with them is next to impossible. Avoid using them. I'm now sitting here waiting for two things. My new hot water tank that doesn't need propane, and for them to show back up to take the tank, whenever that will be. All I know is, once that tank is gone I can finally wash my hands of this God awful company.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Ferrellgas is run by the shadiest people, who have absolutely NO BUSINESS ETIQUETTE, and they feel they are above the law. When a customer signs up for a set monthly fee to cover the cost of one full tank that has been delivered and filled, the gas company cannot increase the monthly rate on a price that has previously been agreed upon in writing, with monthly payments set at $25/month. Their lame excuse was that “gas prices have gone up.” Too bad, because our monthly CONTRACT IS BASED ON PROPANE PRICES AT THE TIME THE CONTRACT WAS WRITTEN.

I just filled the tank of my truck last week at Valero, using the Valero gas card, which is paid monthly, based on the prices at the time of filling. If this were Ferrellgas, they’d tell me that even though I filled my gas tank at the pump LAST WEEK, they are now going to double my monthly minimum because gas prices went up THIS WEEK. This is exactly what Ferrellgas is doing. The propane tank was filled weeks, if not months ago, and has not been refilled since the gas prices have gone up. We contracted for the gas at the price it was listed when the tank was filled. They cannot legally charge us DOUBLE for gas that has been sitting in our tank on our property, without having been refilled since the prices went up. My congressman, the BBB, AARP, Consumer Advocates, and every other consumer watchdog company, (including our local news) WILL BE MADE AWARE OF THESE THIEVES.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Ferrellgas uses predatory practices to unnecessarily charge its customer. Last fall, I ordered a propane fill for my tank and was told (as I expected) that it would take a couple of days for the delivery man to come and fill my tank. At the time I placed my order, I was fixing my gas dryer and had turned off the main valve from the propane tank and disconnected the gas line from the dryer. To my surprise, the delivery guy came within hours to deliver my fill, but "red tagged" my tank because it failed a leak test. Obviously it failed the test because I had disconnected the line from the dryer.

However, I work from my home and the delivery guy never came to my door (the main door is 10' behind me) nor did he, or Ferrellgas, inform me, in any way, that my tank was receiving a red tag. As I've worked with gas lines and tanks in the past, I simply reconnected everything and unlocked the tank. I did a quick CO check, found everything safe, checked to see if I had properly fixed my dryer (which I had) and turned on the furnace.

Fast forward several months. My tank is low and I call Ferrellgas to come on out for another fill. However, they tell me that because my tank was red flagged, they want to charge me $75 for a leak test and $90 for service. Nevermind that no one told me they were red tagging my tank nor did Ferrellgas ever reach out to me regarding this issue, they simply waited for me to call in another fill to tell me they are charging me an additional $160. In essence, they wait until I need a fill, in the middle of winter, to tell me of this charge. As I stated before, I work out of the home and it's been a cold year. I have kids and I can't afford to not have heat.

Had the delivery guy announced he was there or that he was about to tag my tank, I could have quickly reconnected my dryer and none of this would have happened. I think it is absolutely ridiculous for a company to exercise this kind of practice in where they can hold your tank hostage until you pay them fees they subjectively place on you. This is extortion and a predatory practice. I've never had this experience with a gas company in the past and I plan on changing companies as soon as I can.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Ferrellgas has not been able to meet delivery deadlines (even with a two and a half week delivery window!) And there is no system for accountability. They operate with "call centers" and the best you can hope for is giving your number to the call center operator who will then give it to a manager, who in turn will not call you. So, if you enjoy late deliveries of propane (even with weeks of lead time) with zero accountability and/or a way to reach anyone other than a call center person, then this is the company for you.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Years of problems with this company. Our business has tried to deal with them and the problems range from misinformation to charging us almost $6 per gallon for propane more than once. When we first started the driver would bring the invoice to the office then it stopped and I thought they would mail them, but they never did, we only received statements which don't show price per gallon but reference invoices they didn't send. Months later I found a driver invoice on the ground being ran over by our forklifts. Then later I found another one on the ground soaked by the propane tank. I realized the driver is just leaving the invoice anywhere he feels like instead of walking 20 yards to the office. I mention this only because a year later I thought the price seemed high and looked into it (not easy without any invoices) only to find out they were charging us about $5+ per gallon.

Every gas station here was charging about $2+/gallon at the time. I called to complain and get a credit for over a year of overcharging and got the "we'll get on this right away and have a supervisor call you" more than 5 times and never got a single call back. I then called to stop delivery and we started taking our forklift tanks to gas station for months. Ferrellgas called to update our credit card info and I explained why I wasn't going to update it. It was about 2 years from the time the overcharging started to the time they finally called to fix everything and they ended up only crediting us for about 10 months of overcharging but promised to lock our price at a fixed rate, so we started service again at $1.71/gal. The second invoice 2 weeks later already showed $1.86/gal. After that we didn't get an invoice for 11 months, only statements and they stopped service without notice.

When I called they said our account was frozen because it was over the credit limit of $2500 which was insanely high. Come to find out they were charging us $5.98/gal for months. The same day the driver shows up and I explain all this to him. He says sure it's that high because it costs more to fill forklift tanks instead of our big tank. I say that doesn't make sense because the first time they overcharged us for a year we filled our own forklift tanks from the big tank. Then I asked where he left the invoice because I haven't got one in a year and he says he stopped leaving invoices because whenever he came the last invoice was still sitting there by the tank rack. I asked why he doesn't bring them to the office like every other company and he says he doesn't do that. Bad company, bad service, bad drivers, bad phone support. No one can even be bothered to call you back.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Last year in Spokane I ordered propane for my owned tank as my supplier was backlogged and I was out. They said they could get to me with a minimum order of 100gal. So I said ok and gave them my debit card to pay on delivery. They after receiving that card number then said it will be two weeks out! Not wanting to argue I said, "WHATEVER" and ended the call. I contacted them Banner Fuel, my supplier over 20 years, and they said 4 days to get my propane so I ordered from them and canceled with Ferrellgas within hours. They come to find out had charged my card immediately and were using my money until they got around to deliver. I told the lady (put back the money you didn't have coming to start with) and she said they would. It took 45 days!!!

I then moved to Tri-Cities and bought a 100# tank to use with a small heater. I forgot how very ugly these people were last time and took a chance letting them fill the bottle in the back of my truck. We then went in to pay the 71.00 bill for 23gal of propane. I gave him like at a gas station my credit MasterCard and he went back into a room to process the card and print a receipt. I signed the receipt for 71.00 and left. After my doctor's appointment 2 hours later I looked at my MasterCard account on my iPhone and was blown away. They authorized 71.00 as they were entitled and 1 minute later 284.00?!? When confronted of the in my opinion fraudulent charge for what reason they placed me on hold. I called back and they said, "Well what do you want now?" So I called my credit card company who also tried to contact them from their fraud department and they got no answer either. STAY AWAY from these people or you will be sorry.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I highly recommend Ferrellgas. My experience with them has been nothing but a pleasure! The initial call I made to inquire about service was with a very pleasant and knowledgeable lady and both gentlemen who installed and filled the tank were very professional and most helpful. This company is top notch!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I have went through some real bad gas companies over the years. But, when I found out about Ferrellgas, I thought I had finally found a decent company for a change. And, to give them credit, they were a great company for several years. I have a credit rating in the 800's, one bureau was 830 last time I checked. Then in the summer of 2015, I just happened to be home, when a truck pulled up outside my house out in the front and a person was connecting a chain to the gas tank in my backyard! I ran out there and asked what was going on and a very heavy set gentleman with a shirt full of holes advised me that my account was in collections and he was taking Ferrellgas' tank.

Number one: if you want to take or switch a tank, there is access to it through the city fairway behind the house. You dont just drag the tank through the back and front yards by with a chain and leave trenches all along the way! Would've totally destroyed my yard. And I had the "Best Yard" award the previous year on my block.

Number two: I always pay my bills and Ferrellgas was completely paid off as it was every year. I have no idea where all this was coming from. I contacted the number the man gave to me and the customer service lady totally agreed with me. And said she would contact the man and set his information straight. Boom, problem solved, right? Wrong!

Again, the same dude comes over with a pickup truck and a chain and claims he has to pick up my tank and that I now owed "a couple thousand dollars and my account was in collection"! Can you believe this?? Finally, I convinced him to call customer service right there with me standing there with him still in the truck. I don't know what was said, but he again gave a number to call, customer service, and he left.

I, once again, called and they said they closed my account and are opening a new account. I asked why and she said it was the only way they could fix the errors in my account. I said I want it to show I have always paid on time and in full. She said that's would be correct. Fast forward to present. I moved to a new residence and own my own tank and called Ferrellgas and they now want a credit check and advanced payment for a completely filled 500 gal tank before they will bring me propane. I give up! I'll once again search for a good honest gas company to bring me gas and bill me normally like I have done all my life. If anyone wants a good honest on time customer, please get ahold of me. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I've had Ferrellgas for 20 years. In all my dealings with them, they've been helpful, attentive, and friendly. They've always communicated well. Kept appointments on time. If there have been times they were delayed, they always kept me updated. I was surprised to see all the negative reviews, when my own experiences have always been so positive. I would recommend them in a heartbeat. There was even a time I was not able to pay my bill in whole, they let me make payments and were very nice about it too.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I would NOT recommend this company to anyone! We set up a work order to have our LP tank hooked up to our new house. When the technician came he didn't even tell his name or what company he was from. He thought we were going to hook it up to the temporary housing we have on the property even though the work order told him that it was to be hooked up to our new house. He told us that he had been with the company for over 20 years and yet he didn't know how to hook up a LP to a dual fuel system. He started to work and had turned on a ditch witch then motioned for me to come over by him. The ditch witch was so loud that I had to lean in to hear him ask a question and he grabbed my butt twice! The company says he denies the accusation so I think he still may be working for them. His name is Thomas ** AKA Tom **. They are protecting a criminal!

Original review: April 11, 2017

Buyer beware of this company!!! I have had Ferrellgas for about 6 years and it has been a tenuous and tedious relationship at best. The company seems to feel you owe them even after paying your bill on time month after month and year after year. I have had several incidents in the past couple of years that should not have happened. And Ferrellgas refused to take responsibility for their actions by blaming me their customer.

The first incident arose 2 years ago in December 2015 when I went to turn my heater on in my house on a very cold December morning and... nothing happened. I went out and checked my gas cylinders and they both showed EMPTY! I had set up my account with Ferrellgas to be on a "Keep Filled" basis which means Ferrellgas was to check my tanks each time they were servicing other accounts my area and keep them filled at all times. It just happened that this empty tank day was on a Saturday.

I called the company and was told that my account was set up as "Will Call", meaning that I will call them to come and fill my propane tanks, and that I had not called them. I explained that the account had been active for some time and it had initially been set up as keep filled and that they had never failed to fill my tanks when they were servicing my area. I had never set up my account as "Will Call" and had never had to call them to fill my tanks.

I was told that I had to have called and changed the status of my account as they would never do that. "Why would I do that" I asked. They had no response. I was told they would change my account in the computer to "Keep Filled". I thanked them and asked when they could be out to fill my tanks as I was freezing. I was told it would take several days and they would add my request to their list. I was told someone would come to service my gas tanks sometime late in the day on the following Monday. This meant that I would be without heat in my house for 3 days and these days were predicted to be some of the coldest of the season.

I inquired as to why someone could not get out to my house that day and was told they were booked. I was then told that I could pay an extra exorbitant price to have some one come out on Sunday to fill my tanks. I asked why I should have to pay since I had not changed the settings on my account and they should honor their commitment to their customers. I was told that it was their policy and they would be happy to service my gas needs if I wanted to pay the ridiculously exorbitant Sunday price or I would have to wait until the coming Monday - 2 more days away.

I decided to not pay the ridiculously exorbitant price for their screw up. I confined my dog and myself to my bedroom where I pulled a small electric heater from camping gear and sat as close as I could and tried to get warm using my blankets wrapped around both my dog and myself. It was a long 3 days and bitter cold nights. They did show up late Monday after 3:00 pm and filled my tanks.

My second incident was about a month later. The weather was still very cold and again my tanks went empty. When I called, Ferrellgas informed me that I had not called them to come and fill the tanks. I asked why I would have to do that as my account had been set up as "Keep Filled". I was informed that my account was set up for "Will Call". I told them of my conversation a month earlier and finding that the same setting had been on my account and that I had asked for it to be changed. I was told that obviously I had not requested the account change or it would have been in the computer. So I shared a few choice words with the Ferrellgas representative and asked again for my account to be changed to "Keep Filled" instead of "Will Call". The person said they made the change.

I thanked them and asked when they could be out to fill my tanks. I was informed that one of their trucks was in the general area and they would have the truck at my house before dark. They did show up and found me in my bedroom with my little heater and blankets wrapped around my dog and myself trying to keep warm. I did not have any more or new issues for some time. My tanks were filed often. Almost too often but thought it was better to have gas than not... So did not complain!!!

January - February 2017, I am currently moving into a new house and called Ferrellgas as I started to pack and informed them of my planned move and asked them to change the status on my account to "not fill" my tanks as I am packing to move and do not want them to fill my tanks and charge me for gas that I will not be using. I had not seen a bill on my front gate, which was their normal way of letting me know they had filled my tanks, but was told they had filled my tanks two days ago. I told them I did not have a bill and gave them my new address to send the bill too. I am still waiting for the bill. I had to go back to the old house to pack some more items and turned on the heater in the old house... nothing happened. I went outside to check my tanks and they were both full however the valves had been disconnected from the house and the tank valve had a locked cover and the pipes had been twisted to not connect to the cylinders.

I called Ferrellgas Inquiring as to why my tanks had been disconnected and locked. I was told that when I gave them my new address that was the signal in their system to lock the tanks so they can not be used. I told them I still own the house and am working there periodically packing and moving boxes and I need the gas to heat the house while I work there. I asked them to get someone out today (the day of this contact), to hook up my gas again so that I do not freeze while I am moving. I was told they would see what they could do.

I then received a call about an hour later asking me to call them about the balance due on the account. I called and was told that I had to pay the balance due before they would come out and reconnect the gas. I told them this was blackmail as I had not officially stopped the service just the filling of the tanks until after the house is sold and the new owners could set up their account.

I was told I had to pay the amount due prior to them coming out to correct their screwy policy. I asked why they did not tell me this would happen when I called to stop the filling of my tanks. And all they would say it is their policy once they receive a new mailing address to lock the tanks so they can not be used. I told them ok. I would be filing a dispute and hung up. I have heard many really bad stories about Ferrellgas from neighbors and friends and now I have my own to add. If I ever decide to live on propane again... Ferrellgas will be my last choice!!! Buyer beware of Ferrellgas!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

Never again, once they have your money you don't matter. Failed to deliver after prepaying. Two times, I was HUNG up on when I had the gall to ask why. More than a week later still no gas and no refund yet.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

Never Use This Company- Ever!- Palmetto, FL. Use Ferrellgas if you crave the following from a service provider: Not showing up to for appointments and not calling to reschedule. Installing a leaking gas tank and not fixing it after their technician brings it to their attention. 2nd tech said it wasn't leaking. Third tech said it was and it had been leaking for 7 months. Can you say fire hazard! Not scheduling a date to pick up the tank we leased after we switched to a competitor, even though the competitor gave Ferrellgas a switch out notice and we called to cancel their service. Scheduling a pick up date of 1/31/17, after we called to complain, but not showing up. Complaints were escalated to management for 3 years, but nothing was ever done, no apologies made. To this date, Ferrellgas still has a tank sitting in our neighbor's yard, waiting to be picked up. A company is only as good as its employees.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

These people are not a company to do business with, unless you are STUPID. They offered to sell propane home delivery fuel and took my debit card to authorize for payment. Authorize my hind end they did a hard charge securing the fund transfer immediately. Then stated "one week from today you will receive your propane"! It's 7 here and no delivery for a week? Well the week came and no propane so I was left to pay again another company for delivery. Then I cancelled the order from these opportunists. It's been 4 days and no credit back on the card. Took the money for 2 weeks and still not back. Have to file a dispute W/ MC to get my money from these thugs.

They I feel would just take anyone's money and local which would tell you to "biz off. You can't make us give it back". Who on earth takes your money and tells you at their convenience they will produce what you paid for? Arrogant low life workers! Bet they wouldn't be happy if we took 100's of dollars of their money interest free and dictated when we would return it.

Ferrellgas Company Information