3.4/5 (1289 ratings)

About Zipcar

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

While Zipcar can be a very convenient (though pricey) option for car share/rental, they unfortunately apparently have a policy of not reimbursing flat tires on their own cars, at the same time that their standards of maintenance of tires are poor. I had to spend my own time and money getting two tires replaced (one went flat on the freeway, and the other was "blooming", meaning it was at the verge of exploding, and dangerous to drive with). When I called Zipcar later for a reimbursement, they flatly refused, saying that their policy was not to reimburse repairs. So be forewarned, if something happens to the car while you're using it that's not your fault, you'll be responsible for the costs and labor associated with that.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

Zipcar failed to notify me about a penalty ticket which was then passed to DEBT COLLECTORS. Which I found out 12 months (!!!) after the incident. I ended up paying c.£300 for the offense I was not even aware of. August 2021: I had a rental with Zipcar. Apparently, had a traffic offense which I was not notified about back then. August 2022: I'm getting a paper letter from a debt collector agency saying I have an outstanding debt of c.£300.

It turned out that Zipcar failed to notify me about the penalty ticket back in 2021. Therefore, it was not paid on time and ended up with debt collectors.

Which I figured out only in August 2022, 1 year after the incident. Zipcar support was absolutely horrendous. First, they general support were taking ages to connect me to the relevant team (violations), even though I had a hard deadline with the collectors (1 week left) which I emphasised to them several times.

And them the violations team showed no interest in and understanding of my situation, even though it was clearly caused by a flaw in their notification procedure. Needless to say, it took us 5-6 email interactions until I finally saw the scanned copy of the actual penalty ticket I had to pay for. CONCLUSION: I have been Zipcar customer for nearly 4 years, using them very often and spreading a good word within my circle.

They've now effectively robbed me for £300, and have made me through humiliating experience of having and paying the collectors' debt. The worst of all, they did not even admit any flaws from their side, and showed no respect and compassion. With regret, I'm now closing my account and will make sure my case is known to as many existing users as possible, so that they are aware of what risks they are actually exposed to. I'm happy to provide the debt collectors' enforcement notice and the penalty ticket with dates and all the details upon request.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Aug. 30, 2022

Edit: Zipcar issued a refund today.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

Recently, Zipcar ended its service in Blacksburg (less than 3 months after my yearly membership was renewed). When I requested a prorated refund, they said it was not in their policy to refund the membership fee. The customer service representative said that, "We understand you should get a refund because Zipcar has stopped providing service, however, as per our policy, we can not issue a refund." In the end, they registered my complaint but it has been over 2 weeks and I have not received any response from them. Be careful doing business with fraud companies with a ** policy.

Original review: July 31, 2022

I have deactivated my account as of Aug 2021. They have charged me again $38.20 for July 2022. Seems like it is big scam for subscribers. Please be mindful of any charges after deactivating the account.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I use(d) Zipcar because I don't have a car for an extended period and my work is primarily event-based, art/street markets/etc. I booked my latest event and booked a car a month plus in advance, and they cancelled my car about an hour and a half before I was scheduled to pick it up due to "unforeseen circumstances" and "We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration, this situation could have caused," as if I was just planning an outing to the beach or wanted to go ~*~shopping~*~ or something, and the agent I reached when I called customer service treated me like I was stupid and just didn't check if the payment had gone through (a month ago).

The email told me I'd get an account credit *on a future trip," but I'm seriously looking into small business loans because I would rather just use up MY money in my Zipcar account and then never use them again, and I advise you never using them either, business needs or otherwise. You'll be strung along for a month, and then given an "oops, we had to cancel, but you can keep using us because we tied up your money" email instead of a replacement car option or refund to your actual account where your rent/food/other survival expenses come out of, just because they want you to book again. I think not.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I made an account specifically for this review, I'm that upset with them. I applied to join, got rejected after 4 days of review. At no point in the review did they contact me requesting clarification or documents. They then rejected my application citing (erroneously) that my license expired. When I called customer support to point out this mistake and tell them my license hadn't expired and I could drive from another 2 years, they admitted it was a mistake and still said their decision was still 'final and irreversible'. You can't reapply, you can't appeal, and they don't care. This company is committed to being wrong, even in the face of their own objective legal errors.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I reopened my account then requested a new card. Needless to say no cards was sent and Somehow I was not able to sign in to my account few days after of requesting. Then I saw on my bank account Zipcar charging me. Worst part is talking to the responsibles on the phone. Every time I call they put me on hold and takes an hour then the person would say He will let the other department know about my cancellation request then they do nothing! Last person I spoke even told me he cannot do anything about cancellation and no for paying my money back for a service I never used. At this point this become very fishy and wanted to first share here to see if any reaction.

Original review: July 13, 2022

REAL AND ONGOING STORY 07/13/2022 - reserved a 7-seat passenger van - went there found the vehicle damaged - customer service asked me to Uber to this very far location where they only have a 5-seat SUV available - went there but cannot find the vehicle - customer service told me it's parked elsewhere and I had to go there - They charged me $696 for this 3-day trip and I asked for fair compensation for this defective product/service - After multiple phone calls over long time they offered me only $25 of credit and still had not reimbursed me for the gas and Uber which they are supposed to be responsible to begin with. OUTRAGEOUS, NOT ACCEPTABLE, AND INSULTING.

Original review: July 13, 2022

The car that I reserved had no fuel in the car - in fact, the gas light went on after I drove it for 2 avenue blocks. I submitted a photo of the low fuel and had to re-route my trip to get to a gas station. In the meantime, I called customer service to make sure that I reported the severity of the issue - I waited 20 minutes before a customer service rep got on the phone. He didn't speak clearly and his connection was delayed and extremely lagged. After spending the first 45-minutes of my car reservation getting to a gas station instead of getting right on the highway, I asked for a reasonable credit for the time that I spent to fuel the car that should have had at least 1/4 tank. And there was no gas card in the car either.

The customer service rep offered me $5 and told me that was the only thing he could offer; he said it would be the equivalent of 15-minutes. That was not only offensive but it did not resolve the fact that I now needed to pay for more time because of my inconvenience. And you can't even reserve a car for 15-minutes so why would you offer that as compensation for the 45-minutes that I spent fueling the car?

I have been an extremely loyal member since the day Zipcar launched and I have been one of their biggest advocates. Sadly, I can no longer support a company that has fallen into such disarray, with no focus on the customer experience when all other companies are in relentless pursuit of it. They don't deserve the Zipcar brand and they don't deserve to serve the community that the founding brand built.

Original review: July 11, 2022

This company accepted my membership promptly. They have charged me my membership, monthly fees yet never sent me my membership card. No email responses at all. Three calls to cancel and been transferred to a supervisor that goes nowhere. They have stolen money by charging me without receiving my membership. I was told I should call them, they receive many emails. In calling tonight, I just get continuous runaround.

Zipcar author review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information