1.94/5
Based on 51 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

51 Zipcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have had what is the worst customer service experience to date. So I decided to reserve a Zipcar for an hour in order to pick up some furniture. I finished after 26 minutes and then wanted to show that I was done, that way if someone else needed to reserve the car earlier they could. There was no option to do so in the app, only the cancel reservation button. I pressed it and the app told me that the price would stay the same so I clicked it to free up the car. Fast forward a couple days and I have a charge for twice the amount.

I call customer service and the first person I talked to put me on hold for about 5 to 10 minutes each time for what was probably a total of 5 times. I had asked the question of why I was being charged TWICE the amount even though I was in the middle of the reservation, AND after the app told me the price wouldn't change. She gave the response that, "you canceled it, therefore you are charged a cancelation fee. If you had just left it there you would not have been charged." So my question was why to give the option to cancel to someone who is in the middle of their ride.

Who would knowingly end their ride earlier in order to just pay more? The app gave no indication of this and went so far as to say, "your new price is," when telling me that it would be the same amount. Regardless of this, they did nothing to help out the situation. Then I asked to talk to a manager and they ended up hanging up on me. Luckily they called back but then continued to say that it is my fault that I canceled in the middle of the trip so I was charged. On top of this when asking what department they work for they just said, "Zipcar", not even customer service or anything along those lines, which I guess in hindsight was pretty accurate because that experience was the farthest from customer service as you can get.

The representatives were rude, unhelpful, and overall just blamed me for the situation instead of trying to help solve the issue. If I was Zipcar I would make it so that once the trip has started, have an end trip button instead of a cancelation, because giving a cancelation button that then gives a "new price" that isn't accurate to what the statement says is EXTREMELY misleading and overall just a really poor design meant to gouge its customers of every last cent that they can get.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

So I was recently in the Buffalo, NY area and decided to rent a Zipcar as the cheaper of several options that included the standard rental car companies stationed at the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport. I arrived about an hour late after a long day of travel and travel related delays coming from Portland, OR. I specifically decided on an SUV that was housed on the UB campus. I arrived at approximately 2 AM to pick up my SUV. The vehicle absolutely reeked of marijuana. Additionally, there was a note from what I assumed was the previous driver asking me to call them (I did not). Instead, I called Zipcar but was unable to speak with a representative due to the hour of the day.

I left a VM indicating that I was not seeking to cancel the reservation or receive any form of compensation, but merely wanted to make them aware of the condition in which the vehicle was discovered upon my arrival. I never heard back from anyone regarding my concerns. This company appears to have significantly fallen off in as many years. They used to be a great, reliable service that served as an alternative to traditional rental car companies where you might be required to rent by the day. I'm debating whether it might be worth it to consider enrolling in the Enterprise CarShare program. It appears to have great online reviews and a truly responsive customer service department. The rental experience with Zipcar, while convenient, no longer seems like a viable option.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Zipcar idea is awesome - get a car whenever you need one without the hassle of owning it yourself. The problem is the execution. It was immediately evident from my very first experience that Zipcar is very poorly run. My first reservation, the car wasn't there. I called Zipcar and waited an hour to speak with somebody. Their response: "We don't know where the car is." Their resolution: Take a taxi to the nearest Zipcar location and they will change the reservation to that one. Awful. Fast forward 6 months, I've tried it a few times and had a myriad of problems: previous renters arriving late and cutting into my time, cars not being where they're supposed to, push-to-start cars not turning on. Each problem requires you to call Zipcar and speak to someone. I've never had a friendly phone operator and always leave the call upset and feeling ripped off. Avoid this service.

Original review: July 25, 2018

The Zipcar is a lot of fun. It's safe. The price is pretty good too! I think there should be more of them. It is a modern way to ride these days. Got to keep up in the world!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Although I live in Houston now, during my years in Chicago, Zipcar came in very handy and very convenient. You can have one of their vehicles for an hour or for a week.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: July 19, 2018

I signed up for Zipcar online July 1, 2018. I called them on July 4th to ask when my card was mailed out. They proceeded to tell me that my address was not recognized with the USPS. I gave them the other name of my street. They again said the USPS does not recognize that address also. I said, send out the card to the original address (the one on my driver's license). They said they would. On or about July 9, I called Zipcar again to say, “Please send the card to the address on my driver's license.” They claimed that they would.

My last call to them was on July 19 when I told them to close the account because I still had not received the card. They agreed to so but they wanted to hold my application fee. I said, "You cannot hold my application fee because you screwed up". This was a bad experience with Zipcar. My experience with applying to Enterprise CarShare was extremely well executed. Enterprise sent me my card with no problems.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I never managed to join. The website keeps on breaking down ("oh sorry, we just hit a bump in the road"), they don't answer the phone, the email address they provide is invalid, the documents I sent on three occasions were lost. Pathetic.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have stupidly signed up for Zipcar twice before. Once a couple of years ago and once this past week, because it was either that or look into signing a lease on a new car. I thought I would give Zipcar a second chance. I WAS SO WRONG. The first time, the zip car was supposed to be in the garage behind my apartment building. I had a whole day planned. I show up, there is no car. I call Zipcar and they tell me where I can go to find another car. No. That's not the point. That's unreliable and who needs a service like that. I canceled, and my $25 application fee was NOT refunded. Couple years later... I live in a less populated area and I need access to get out and do things like doctor's appointments.

I schedule a car near me for a 3 hour window. I show up... no car. Call Zipcar again. She said, "Oh, we sent you an email saying there was a change with your reservation." I had no idea. It was 26 minutes before I was supposed to be sitting in the car. I was getting ready and walking to the location while this apparently happened and had no idea. After then getting on a bus to get to the next location (and already missing my doctor's appointment) I am strolling up and down the street looking for the next car they booked me. Well, lo and behold this one was nowhere to be found. I'm on the phone with customer service again, and they have no answers except I can cancel the reservation.

Are you out of your mind? If I wanted to spend 2 hours on the phone with customer service and wander all over the streets of Chicago for no reason, I would have never made a reservation to begin with!!! I am absolutely appalled by this company. They should not even be in business. Out of 3 reservations I've made with them, I've been in ZERO cars! Trust me. You will just waste your time and money if you attempt to use this service. Unfortunately I will never get back the 2 completely wasted days I tried to use Zipcar and have now lost $50 in application fees that they will not refund to me. NEVER EVER EVER USE ZIPCAR!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Car never showed up after multiple calls. I called to check on driver and was given misinformation. Driver did not go to the correct location. I was in a dangerous situation and needed a ride again. I finally had to use a private taxi service.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I highly recommend everyone to not use Zipcar. Instead go for rental car like Hertz or any other. Problems with Zipcar are: Most of the car will damaged and sensors will broken so can't unlock the car, this happened to me 4 times but even then they won't refund the money. The damaged car will available to book in the website so by chance if you book that car, your money is gone. Car won't be available for pick for 10-15 minutes and if you drop car 5 minutes late they will charge you $50 fine. Customer Care is too bad, If you call them they will talk in such a attitude and they will argue for everything. I am using their Service from last 7 months and I have spent around $2500. I am cancelling my Account with them and also my friends are cancelling it.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I started to join Zipcar online and my application froze halfway, making it impossible for me to start over because I was "already in the system" and also impossible to continue my application. I called customer service and the guy said he couldn't help me, to "go to my local office" and that he was being TOLD TO GET OFF THE PHONE with me because he "had been on the phone with one customer too long" -- even though he hadn't solved my problem at all (which was that I couldn't sign up and give their company business!!). I asked to speak to a supervisor and the customer rep tried to convince me NOT to talk to a supervisor because the wait time would be too long. I insisted and was on hold for just a few minutes.

Supervisor told me there are NO LOCAL OFFICES so that info had been wrong. He had to re-set the system for me to sign up again - but I tried and there was another glitch so just forget it! I live in Canada and they do not have a single employee here: we have to call the US (I think)... So without any local support and with a corporate website that doesn't actually work, it hardly inspires confidence - Seriously why would I give them business? No way. I'd suggest you don't either.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Tried calling to cancel, because they have a DARK PATTERN on their website which forces users into a retention department via PHONE instead of a simple request to CANCEL your membership. It's the Comcast strategy. Due to your lack of customer service in a sensible way -- my CC is canceled, you've been charged back. If you need to contact me it had better be in writing. It's my greatest hope that your credit card processor sees your fraudulent activity and increases your rates. It's overdue.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Please don't risk your money with Zipcar! They will easily charge your account without any proper explanation. Customer service and dispute resolution process is horrible! I spent 40 minutes of reservation searching for a Zipcar one to find out the person who had it before dropped it at the wrong location. I, however, dropped it off at the current location and time only to be charged a $75 (non-refundable) retrieval fee. And apparently there's no person I can speak to about past reservations and disputes only active ones. They're a complete joke - PLEASE don't risk your money. Closed my account with them today and won't be looking back! Will stick with Uber and Enterprise - they're cheaper at this point.

Original review: April 24, 2018

My experience with Zipcar has been overall very good. On my first rental, the gas card was missing, customer service was responsive and helpful as well as polite. On my second rental, the gas card had been replaced but the car wouldn't start after I unlocked the car and tried to start it. In this instance, customer service was polite and helpful, walking me step by step through a procedure that actually worked and I was able to complete the grocery shopping trip without further incident.

Even though there were small problems with the process, the car was clean, looked well kept and smelled good inside. Customer service was available, polite and helpful every time. I am planning a day trip soon and will continue to use Zipcar when I need it. I consider this company as providing a reasonably priced and easy alternative to other rental companies and overall a very good idea for my particular needs. I see no reason not to rate Zipcar as 5 stars.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Pretty disappointing when you get a $100 parking fee without any explanation AND with late fees even though this is the first email you get about it! Still have no idea what happened since the car was returned on time. Every time you call customer service you can never get a straight answer. Cars are not there half the time when you reserve them and customer service has never given any promised discount for future drives. Pretty stressful experience - won’t ever use ZipCar again!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I've had multiple mechanical issues with a Zipcar I try to rent, and in each case customer service has been entirely unhelpful. The first issue was a gas flap that refused to open/unlock. The car also had no gas when I picked it up for my reservation, which is against their own policy. Regardless of this, they told me there was nothing they could do and I had to return the car to its original location. I specifically asked them to follow up with me about when it got fixed since it is the only car in my primary Zipcar location and they never responded.

A month or so later I tried again, assuming the issue would be fixed or that at the last the car would have enough gas for my 4 mile trip for groceries. This time the car wouldn't even unlock for me. I call customer service again and there is almost no trouble-shooting followed by them canceling my reservation and saying they will send someone to fix it. A few days later I try to get groceries again since the car is available and I assume it has been fixed. Nope! I STILL can't unlock the car. I call customer service AGAIN and they say they don't know what's wrong despite a service team having been there two days prior. So somehow they both failed to fix the issue, failed to inform me it wasn't fixed, and allowed me to waste my time and reservation again for no reason. The worst customer experience I've had in a long time.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I would give them zero stars if that were possible. I rented and paid for one of their cars and picked it up to go from NY to NJ. On my trip back to NY, Zipcar locked me out of my car. I called to find out why I could not get in the car, and they told me they had a problem with my credit card. I had already paid for the car since Zipcar charges you for the rental when you book it, so my credit card charge had already gone through!!! After one hour on the phone with their customer service desk they allowed me back in the car. Their behavior in this case was nothing short of illegal. You do not lock someone out of a car for which they have paid you. I plan to cancel my membership.

Original review: April 1, 2018

While riding my bike on Broad St. Crossing the street, I had the green light. Zipcar driver opens car door nearly killing me. Caused me to crash and get injured. Breaks my bike. Zipcar denies claim. Says it was my fault. Criminal to hurt me and denied. Know what kind of company Zipcar is. Cheating and injuring the innocent and not taking responsibility. Corporate greed that doesn't care if they kill you. If you are injured by their negligence this company would rather you die than take responsibility. Criminal organization. ** Zipcar.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I subscribed to Zipcar over a year ago as I needed a car in Boston and thought it would be a good service. Not at all as cars are difficult to locate. I forgot to cancel the service so they continued to charge my credit card every month (my fault) though I never used the service again. You cannot cancel the service online even though they are supposed to be a "techie friendly" company. Not at all!!! Have to actually call a customer service agent and if you owe another month then you can't cancel until you pay them every last dollar of their monthly fees even if you didn't rent one car from them.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I had located Zipcar because I was planning to make a road trip and didn't want to go through the other dealers. Should have NEVER done it. I never received the card and when I asked if I could use my cell I was told no. I called multiple times for months and always got the "we will resend it" but never did. The last attempt was HORRIBLE. The "rep" lied to me saying he would get the manager/supervisor. Had me hold on (unmuted) and then the next thing I know I was hung up on. I am so glad my email sent me a notification saying they were going to bill me $70 (which when I first looked I only had 2 statements showing but while talking to the rep 3 appeared)... which they had billed me $25 prior YET it showed that I had not received my car (if I had received it I'm assuming it wouldn't ask if I received or activated on yet) or rented a car on their site.

I asked about the charges and he said he would have the 2nd $70 refunded and everything would go into effect (my cancelation request and the refund) the first of April... We will see. I had to constantly repeat myself of the same issues I had and when asked why I wanted to cancel/end I told him because I experienced horrible customer service (hung up on, lied to, etc) and why would I keep a membership that I was never able to use not by personal choice but because they never sent or would send the card. Scams and I am not one that gives reviews but Zipcar needs to receive this red flag, run from them fast, review.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Since the 8th of March 2018, Zipcar Hollywood CA has not lived up to their services. I made a reservation early enough to secure pick up located and vehicle, went to find out car was not available at 6793 Yucca St, location reserved. And they moved me to another vehicle and location, not once but twice. Then the location was out of my personal range for walking to pick up car. Then breaks on the VW Fox, was unsafe as I travel 35 miles to and fro. Then again this morning 3/10/18, it happened again. Each month they deduct from my account, but don’t give the customer good safe service. They have left me frustrated and untrustworthy of their services.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Wife and I had a CRV reserved weeks in advance for our trip up to Vermont. When we arrived at the garage to pick-up the car our reservation had been cancelled and we were forced to pay several hundred dollars more for a Avis Rental. The extra cost and time to rent the Avis car put a damper on our departure and vacation. As a general rule I have found most of their cars require Servicing and are outright filthy. I have just downgraded my plan from the $50 EVP plan to a $7 per month plan and I would cancel the Account totally if it weren't for my 2 sons who are still using it. Poorly managed and run company and it appears as though all of their "Customer Service" are outsourced overseas. I am shopping around for alternatives given the cancelled reservations. This is the 3rd time my reservation has been cancelled. Their systems are being hacked and it's going unreported. Manhattan Systems Guy.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I reserved an SUV for about 8 hours couple days ago to go run some errands and pick up some large items and packages. Arrive today at the pickup location for the car to find that the SUV was not there. Called the customer service. Can’t give any answer as to where the car is or offer any solution other than to cancel the reservation and give me a credit towards a future reservation after I wasted my time and money paying someone to take me to where the car was just for nothing to be there. They can’t find me another SUV at the only place they have them in my area so my day is screwed and can’t do anything I have planned on doing. My only other option at this point is to spend even more money to rent from Enterprise which means I have to go through extra hoops to get the car since all I have is a debit card to use at the money. Thanks a lot.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Zipcar charged me for a violation that clearly was not mine. I dropped the car off two hours before my reservation was due, and the parking violation was an hour after the end of my reservation. I have called for almost two months and all I get is an email telling me that it is my violation. I have no way to get further information on how this is my violation. When I do call all they can tell me is that they will send it to customer service. My frustration is at 110.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Filthy cars, inside and out. I washed it once out of pocket because I was tired of getting salt residue on my hands and clothes, and cleaned the interior before every trip. The parking pass didn’t work and the garage customer service agents gave me a hard time on numerous occasions. This was after I reported the faulty parking pass to Zip after the first occurrence. They never did anything about it and it happened several more times before I canceled my membership. The Zip customer service reps always said the right thing but didn’t follow through. Too many options in the marketplace to put up with substandard service. The Zipcar brand is essentially built on convenience. It stopped being convenient and became a hassle. Poor management and maintenance. Look elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have been with Zipcar since 11/2017 and it has been nothing but issues. The sad issue is the money comes out right away and then when you get to the car like I have it's several issues like (flat tires - you can't move the car) + (dirty cars - which you can be blamed if you don't report it) +(reservation - moved around on a moment notice to a different vehicle) + (cars - people taking wrong cars). This company is not established enough but money is the main source and all they care about, they don't care about people plans or vehicles they need at the appointed time and when all is said and done you wait 3-5 business days for a refund. Me myself just joined Enterprise CarShare and Enterprise been around with rentals for years. I will be buying my own tax time; far as Zipcar, they can zip out of business they are not doing a good job with this company at all and people will walk soon enough. Time for an investigation. Bad practice.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I joined Zipcar for a low cost option to rent cars since I am living in a city and opted to not own a car. I found much better rates on Rentalcars.com and am better off renting for a day than using Zipcar's hourly option so after a year opted to terminate my membership. The most disappointing part of their service is the inability to cancel online. Unfortunately I needed to cancel my membership while in Europe. Given they use your telephone number for identification, my Skype out could not be used to make a low cost call. I was on hold for quite a while, and after requesting they stop using the sales script to convince me to stay in order to reduce the cost of the call, they continued to follow the script. This is ok for indecisive clients, but those of us that stick to our decisions and are wise enough to make a choice without influence, it's very painful. I will never use the service again given the antiquated system and pushy sales pitch in the contact center.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I had the most terrible experience for the last three weeks. Dec 16, tire was flat by the time I went a few blocks from location to pick up my girlfriend, could not get me another car. Dec 24, rode 11 miles on my Harley in freezing cold to University location only to find a dead battery in car, could not provide me with another car in surrounding area. Had to go back home and see if I could find another nearby my home. They said in an email they would give me $25 credit automatically to my next reservation. Jan 1, reserved a car to drive around and drove for approx 104 miles in my long Island NY area according to my GPS, ZIPCAR says I drove 297 miles so they charge me for 117 miles @.45 per mile. ZIPCAR get your tech working correctly. On top of that, they never gave me the $25 credit I was entitled towards my latest reservation. It takes days before you get any answers because customer service does not make any decisions.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

One of the worst customer service I have ever experienced, not only did I have questions of my account which I'm entitled to know what is going on but they gave me a response in about 7 days, then after they had their final decision I called to know more info and to specify on the reason for their decision, they told me I had to wait another 2 days for a response back. I asked them to speak with a supervisor or anyone above the person I was speaking with so they can further assist me. And she told me I couldn't speak to a supervisor because I am not an "active" member no longer and that it’s part of their policy. I am highly dissatisfied with their customer service and would not recommend them to anyone. I been a member for over a year and some change. And this is the way they treat their loyal customers.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I was, until recently, a daily driver of Zipcars to commute to my job for the past six months. Living in NYC, cars are expensive. But for the many of us that commute to NJ or upstate, Zipcar provides an affordable solution. That is, if you are willing to deal with being at the whim of Zipcar. I've had reservations canceled and moved to garages 20 blocks away with less than an hour notice. I've had my car swapped out on me at the last minute. I've been mischarged, given the runaround, and had to deal with 20+ minute wait times with their customer service. Yet, this is worth it instead of having to pay 400+ a month in garage fees (Welcome to NYC!).

I had been putting up with this for months because, realistically, this was my only commuting option besides slow and unreliable buses. That is, until I crunched a mirror on a Zipcar pulling out of a parking space. The mirror was still attached and the damage was largely superficial. Commuters in NYC experience this daily, it happens, and it's inevitable. No big deal, right? Wrong, because after giving Zipcar roughly 6000 dollars for their services and a week of dealing with their claims department they decided to cancel my account. The day after Christmas. Stranding me without notice, without quarter, or without the ability to appeal whilst visiting my family for Christmas.

I will now have to deal with the fun challenge of either buying a car or getting a bus at the last minute. If you are looking for a carsharing program to use once in a while, when reliability, customer service, or fairness isn't a priority Zipcar may work for you. Perhaps as a once in a blue moon thing. But if you need something reliable, consistent, and dependable look elsewhere. Zipcar absolutely will leave you stranded without a ride and not even bother trying to help.

Not sure about Zipcar?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Rental Cars for you.

Zipcar expert review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

• Best for: Those with cars in repair and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information

www.zipcar.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business