2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.09/5

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: July 10, 2020

Updated on 07/11/2020: So the representative said I was abusing, they were quick to suspend with still 80 or 78 dollars still in the account. They didn't call to speak to me but they quick to suspend. Been calling them since yesterday. Now on hold for over two hrs for something that wasn't my fault at all, they deleted my video. All I want is my money back. They are so unprofessional.

Original Review: Ok been with Zipcar little over a year. So every time I get in a car is either broken, beyond dirty seats, stains, full of trash at times even the outside. At times no gas card. 98 percent of time cars don't have registration, I spend more time speaking to them on my trip than actually doing what I'm supposed to do. Zipcar will take hrs to answer. When they do they really don't want to help if you call constantly, yesterday was the last blow with zipcar. Rented a car 1 one, broken shield meaning a crack, seats were suppose to be creamy color but they were black.

That's how dirty it was. Ac was not working. Took the car at noon. Was almost 5. Still no answer. I called over 21 times, so they finally changed me to another car. Omggg the car had no keys but had roaches in the glove compartment. I recorded it but zipcar went to my media and deleted it???? The day before I had a car for one whole day. Almost 2. As soon as I dropped it off someone picked it up. Ok soo when is the cleaning service coming? They also deleted that video, when I went to park the car another vehicle there so I get charged for late fees???? For something that was not my fault, but they take money in less than a sec but weeks and hrs to resolve your issue, another thing prices on app are not the same. When you ready confirm $75 day. Cars actually 96 or 98.

They not fair. Horrible and they get mad because I'm constantly calling. Ok fix my problem, return all my money and we are ok. But people don't carshare with zipcar. They nasty cars. They will go into your media meaning pictures, texting, voicemail and they will delete it. Trust me when I'm saying they deleted the video I had well 2 of roaches in the car????

Original review: July 8, 2020

I have had several times where the car was not there. The key fob was missing. It smelled, was dirty. One time I found tissues and condom wrappers. I've been on hold with customer service 40 minutes, over an hour... I called to report the car was inoperable. The chassis was on a slab of ice. The wheels weren't touching the ground. A week later I rented the same car, but it was still in the same condition. I reported it again. They never took the car off of their bookings. And I've been billed for cancelled trips - because the car wasn't there. I'm quitting! POS company.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2020

I am a new customer for Zipcar. I booked my first reservation to pick up the car on July 3rd and had my farm tickets ready to go to the farm. In the morning at 6:50 am I received an email that my car reservation was cancelled. There was no way for me to make another reservation due to July 4th busy week. I called to speak to a representative, he takes forever to pick up and they decided to give me a 25 dollar credit. I then decide to give it another shot and booked again with them for July 5th. The morning of July 5th 6:50am my car reservation was cancelled again. This is ridiculous and frustrating and I won't definitely not recommend Zip car to anyone.

Original review: July 3, 2020

The morning I went to pick up my Zipcar at the garage, I was advised this car was in an accident the day before and no longer available. I received no notice either by phone or email from zipcar. I called their customer service line three times for assistance and placed on hold a total of 40 minutes each time. On two of these calls, the call was mysteriously dropped while talking with the representative. On the third call, I was advised that there were no replacement cars available that day in Manhattan. I had to take a subway, railroad and cab to my destination 50 miles outside of NYC and was three hours late. How does a company strand their customers like this and remain in business. A truly horrible experience.

Original review: July 3, 2020

I would not recommend Zipcar to anyone. Every time I rent a car I have an issue. The car is dirty, smells like weed etc. I booked a car on July 4th for a trip with my family and they completely ruined it by canceling my bookings without disregard. They didn’t even bother to look for another car of for me. Zipcar is the absolute worst. Be careful with booking with them this might happen to you.

Original review: July 2, 2020

On 07.01.2020, I reserved a car for the day. On the day of the car was not there. After waiting on the line for over an hour, the Customer Service Rep informed me that the vehicle was reported to be having car issues by the person that rented it before me. At 10:23 am on 07.01.2020, I received an email that stating my reservation was cancelled. Later that same day, I reviewed my Zipcar account to see if I was being charged, I had not been.

On 07.02.2020, I checked my bank account to my surprise, I had been charged. At that point, I called Zipcar again and waited yet again for over an hour before I was able to speak with someone. After a long a circular conversation, they've stated that it will take 3-5 business day before I can get a refund. My concern is the length of time. As previously mentioned my Zipcar account has a $0 balance. So why was I charged in the first place. If you are not a member of Zipcar, be cautious. Note this is my third time renting a car and this is the second time having issues with them.

Original review: June 28, 2020

Do not become members of this car share rental. Zipcar should be completely shut down. I've been a member for a few years. Twice they screwed me on the 4th of July weekend. 1st time they inform me the day before of my rental not being available. They manage to get me a car only because I was highly pissed off and was literally screaming and cursing through the phone. Today June 28 2020 six day before my family gathering I was forced to cancel my car rental and on top of all that I have rented a house for over $2000 which I may not be able to go if I don't find a car in time.

If I don't go to my family gathering I will not get my house rental funds back. NO REFUNDS ALL BECAUSE OF ZIPCAR! Zipcar did not notify me about my car not being available. No email, phone not even a text. When asked why was I not notified I was told a bogus excuse which really pissed me off. Zipcar literally forced me to cancel my rental. I terminated my membership with them right there and then never will used them ever again.

Original review: June 27, 2020

As a 15 year member of Zipcar, I'm horrified by the deterioration of their service and reliability. We've been messed up every time we've reserved over the past several months, and it's virtually impossible to contact customer service. I've had enough and hope we can find a good alternative in NYC.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I rented a car for 4:30 to see my father on Father's Day. The car had not been returned and so after 1 hour on hold with customer service, they said, "Oops, we had to change it, so we changed your car to 7!" So, we waited around for 2 hours to get the next car at 7 and guess what, it never got returned so there was no car for us to use! We spent another hour on hold with customer service, never spoke to anyone, waited 45 min. to see if the car got returned and then, having wasted 3 hours we cancelled our plan. What a horrible Father's Day and what a horrible company. We still have not been able to get anyone on the phone for over 3 hours. Even if it were free, I would not use them again, unless I actually want to miss my outing. The company should be shut down.

Original review: June 20, 2020

In the 3 weeks since we signed up for Zipcar, we have had 2 cars cancelled the morning of our trip, and 2 cars not at their garage when we went to pick them up. The customer service line is useless - because by the time you wait multiple hours on hold (seriously), you’ve probably already missed out on your trip. This service is an absolute disaster right now in New York, and is basically stealing your monthly fee. Please, stay away and avoid the headache of having to cancel your membership.

Zipcar author review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information