1.82/5

60 Zipcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have been a Zipcar member for 7+ years. Ever since they were bought by Avis the quality has fallen, but has recently accelerated their decline. They have reduced the number of pick-up slots, the cars have become old and unreliable, the customer service has been outsourced...

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Use Zipcar if you like inconvenient locations, high prices, and 20-minute hold times when you need help on the phone. Also, it's impossible to cancel your membership. They'll keep fraudulently charging your credit card no matter how many times you tell them you're through. Fortunately, there are much better car-sharing and short-term rental companies out there!

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I've had one bad experience after another with this company. For example: Renting a car which turns out to be super dirty. Calling after the rental is over, expecting some compensation, but they only say you should have called before you started the rental and there's nothing they can do about it now. The next time I rent a car that's dirty I call right away before I use it, but the phone tree simply asks me to "leave a voicemail describing the condition". Then when I call back and press zero to try to speak to someone I am put on hold for long enough that I give up.

I signed up for an account through my university on a page which clearly says 0 annual fee. When I'm charged an annual fee I call up and they say sorry, it "must have been in the terms and conditions" and there's nothing they can do. You see, this is not a customer friendly company. You are bound to have some kind of frustrating experience.

What can you expect with Zipcar? Surly/unperceptive customer service. Automated phone tree/long wait times when you call. Dirty/smelly cars. Gas which always seems to be low. Fees charged to your account you didn't expect. Cars which cost more than you expect to rent. No/low availability of cars when you really want/need them. If at all possible, go with a local rental car agency instead. They will give you a clean car with a full tank of gas, and there's someone physically there to help you if the car has a problem and you need another. Rental car companies don't have the best reputation but Zipcar is the WORST!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Only the facts. Have been a member for 5 years (until now). Very poor customer service (vindictive and untruthful). Damaged and dirty vehicles (interior and exterior). Very liberal with penalties regardless of circumstances. Texting system for extending rental period is broken (fees). Very quick to immobilize and set-off alarms. Reserved cars and locations are switched frequently. Long wait times for customer service (30 plus mins). Keys/gas cards/parking passes missing from vehicles. Low fuel and windshield fluid (safety hazard).

Some of these issue are attributed to the members, however I have complained about missing keys, cards, passes, damage, dirt, damage, low fuel/fluids only to find the same vehicle a week later with the same issues. Very quick to charge a fee but won't reimburse for a poorly maintained vehicles. I would like to think ZIPCAR would check their vehicles on a weekly basis and not rely on member complaints. I am taking a serious complaint to head office regarding a vindictive service rep who hung up on me and failed to extend my rental. They charged me the late fee, the extra hour and still immobilized the vehicle and activated the alarm system in a high density residential area. They replied to me about availability of other vehicles (the app provides available inventory in the area).

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I gave my credit card once and used Zipcar once. For which I have been charged every one month 7$. Even though I opted out of the 7$ monthly pay, they still charge you for 7$. Never use this. Go for enterprise or discover for car rental.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

My car was hit by a Zipcar driver in London UK, whilst it was parked in a street close to one of the depots and I was walking my dogs in a nearby park. The driver was consulting his phone map to see where to leave the car. He admitted that he was breaking UK law in using a phone whilst driving a car. He had no insurance documents. He had no warning triangle and his damaged car abandoned in the middle of the road was nearly hit several times. The call center (in Boston?) refused to give me any UK office address or any name of an insurance company. The responder admitted that this was wrong and sympathized that I had to walk four miles home.

I emailed the president of the company Ms. Tracey Zhen. After 17 days, she has not replied. Nor has the promised Avis courtesy car materialized. Nor has the repair been authorized though it costs under $2000. I am therefore forced to sue the driver and report his criminal driving to the police. Zipcar has broken the law in many respects as has the driver. But for a potential Zipcar renter, the concern should be that if he or she smashes into somebody else`s car, a courtroom awaits. The insurance blocker employed by Zipcar in the UK to save a few cents on repair charges, actually told me that she would close the account and that I should sue. Unfortunately I am left with no alternative but to pursue the driver who may get a criminal record, as a result.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I got a Zipcar for a few hours to attend a meeting at my place of work. After the meeting was let out, I went to put my card less key on the sensor attempting to gain access. The car door never opened up! I called and got the door unlocked. Next, I stopped somewhere else and the same issue happened, I was mortified. As my day went on I kept thinking to myself that if I stop again I'm afraid that the door won't unlock, which can be embarrassing among many other things. Zipcar gave me some few credits and I ended my trip early. I do not think I will be using this service again, it's good to have as an alternate transportation option.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I had signed up for Zipcar through my university’s program with them, which is SUPPOSED to be a free membership for a year and then 35 hours of driving credits. Never got either, spent a MONTH trying to fix it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have had what is the worst customer service experience to date. So I decided to reserve a Zipcar for an hour in order to pick up some furniture. I finished after 26 minutes and then wanted to show that I was done, that way if someone else needed to reserve the car earlier they could. There was no option to do so in the app, only the cancel reservation button. I pressed it and the app told me that the price would stay the same so I clicked it to free up the car. Fast forward a couple days and I have a charge for twice the amount.

I call customer service and the first person I talked to put me on hold for about 5 to 10 minutes each time for what was probably a total of 5 times. I had asked the question of why I was being charged TWICE the amount even though I was in the middle of the reservation, AND after the app told me the price wouldn't change. She gave the response that, "you canceled it, therefore you are charged a cancelation fee. If you had just left it there you would not have been charged." So my question was why to give the option to cancel to someone who is in the middle of their ride.

Who would knowingly end their ride earlier in order to just pay more? The app gave no indication of this and went so far as to say, "your new price is," when telling me that it would be the same amount. Regardless of this, they did nothing to help out the situation. Then I asked to talk to a manager and they ended up hanging up on me. Luckily they called back but then continued to say that it is my fault that I canceled in the middle of the trip so I was charged. On top of this when asking what department they work for they just said, "Zipcar", not even customer service or anything along those lines, which I guess in hindsight was pretty accurate because that experience was the farthest from customer service as you can get.

The representatives were rude, unhelpful, and overall just blamed me for the situation instead of trying to help solve the issue. If I was Zipcar I would make it so that once the trip has started, have an end trip button instead of a cancelation, because giving a cancelation button that then gives a "new price" that isn't accurate to what the statement says is EXTREMELY misleading and overall just a really poor design meant to gouge its customers of every last cent that they can get.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

So I was recently in the Buffalo, NY area and decided to rent a Zipcar as the cheaper of several options that included the standard rental car companies stationed at the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport. I arrived about an hour late after a long day of travel and travel related delays coming from Portland, OR. I specifically decided on an SUV that was housed on the UB campus. I arrived at approximately 2 AM to pick up my SUV. The vehicle absolutely reeked of marijuana. Additionally, there was a note from what I assumed was the previous driver asking me to call them (I did not). Instead, I called Zipcar but was unable to speak with a representative due to the hour of the day.

I left a VM indicating that I was not seeking to cancel the reservation or receive any form of compensation, but merely wanted to make them aware of the condition in which the vehicle was discovered upon my arrival. I never heard back from anyone regarding my concerns. This company appears to have significantly fallen off in as many years. They used to be a great, reliable service that served as an alternative to traditional rental car companies where you might be required to rent by the day. I'm debating whether it might be worth it to consider enrolling in the Enterprise CarShare program. It appears to have great online reviews and a truly responsive customer service department. The rental experience with Zipcar, while convenient, no longer seems like a viable option.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Zipcar idea is awesome - get a car whenever you need one without the hassle of owning it yourself. The problem is the execution. It was immediately evident from my very first experience that Zipcar is very poorly run. My first reservation, the car wasn't there. I called Zipcar and waited an hour to speak with somebody. Their response: "We don't know where the car is." Their resolution: Take a taxi to the nearest Zipcar location and they will change the reservation to that one. Awful. Fast forward 6 months, I've tried it a few times and had a myriad of problems: previous renters arriving late and cutting into my time, cars not being where they're supposed to, push-to-start cars not turning on. Each problem requires you to call Zipcar and speak to someone. I've never had a friendly phone operator and always leave the call upset and feeling ripped off. Avoid this service.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I had the same problem as a lot of others that left reviews where I never received my card in the mail. The company is almost impossible to get a hold of and they don't make it easy to contact them through the site. I had to Google their # since it wasn't listed on their own site. After speaking with their reps on the phone I couldn't believe how unprofessional and rude they were.

I just discovered this company thinking it sounded like a great concept but that can only go so far when you have incapable and unprofessional folks running it. As a possible new customer I was turned off immediately after speaking with them on the phone. I couldn't even speak to a manager. When I politely asked for one I was actually told "no". Ummm okay. I would never give this company another try, or bother recommending their usage to anyone I know just to save them the headache!

Original review: July 25, 2018

The Zipcar is a lot of fun. It's safe. The price is pretty good too! I think there should be more of them. It is a modern way to ride these days. Got to keep up in the world!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Although I live in Houston now, during my years in Chicago, Zipcar came in very handy and very convenient. You can have one of their vehicles for an hour or for a week.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I signed up for Zipcar online July 1, 2018. I called them on July 4th to ask when my card was mailed out. They proceeded to tell me that my address was not recognized with the USPS. I gave them the other name of my street. They again said the USPS does not recognize that address also. I said, send out the card to the original address (the one on my driver's license). They said they would. On or about July 9, I called Zipcar again to say, “Please send the card to the address on my driver's license.” They claimed that they would.

My last call to them was on July 19 when I told them to close the account because I still had not received the card. They agreed to so but they wanted to hold my application fee. I said, "You cannot hold my application fee because you screwed up". This was a bad experience with Zipcar. My experience with applying to Enterprise CarShare was extremely well executed. Enterprise sent me my card with no problems.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I never managed to join. The website keeps on breaking down ("oh sorry, we just hit a bump in the road"), they don't answer the phone, the email address they provide is invalid, the documents I sent on three occasions were lost. Pathetic.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have stupidly signed up for Zipcar twice before. Once a couple of years ago and once this past week, because it was either that or look into signing a lease on a new car. I thought I would give Zipcar a second chance. I WAS SO WRONG. The first time, the zip car was supposed to be in the garage behind my apartment building. I had a whole day planned. I show up, there is no car. I call Zipcar and they tell me where I can go to find another car. No. That's not the point. That's unreliable and who needs a service like that. I canceled, and my $25 application fee was NOT refunded. Couple years later... I live in a less populated area and I need access to get out and do things like doctor's appointments.

I schedule a car near me for a 3 hour window. I show up... no car. Call Zipcar again. She said, "Oh, we sent you an email saying there was a change with your reservation." I had no idea. It was 26 minutes before I was supposed to be sitting in the car. I was getting ready and walking to the location while this apparently happened and had no idea. After then getting on a bus to get to the next location (and already missing my doctor's appointment) I am strolling up and down the street looking for the next car they booked me. Well, lo and behold this one was nowhere to be found. I'm on the phone with customer service again, and they have no answers except I can cancel the reservation.

Are you out of your mind? If I wanted to spend 2 hours on the phone with customer service and wander all over the streets of Chicago for no reason, I would have never made a reservation to begin with!!! I am absolutely appalled by this company. They should not even be in business. Out of 3 reservations I've made with them, I've been in ZERO cars! Trust me. You will just waste your time and money if you attempt to use this service. Unfortunately I will never get back the 2 completely wasted days I tried to use Zipcar and have now lost $50 in application fees that they will not refund to me. NEVER EVER EVER USE ZIPCAR!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Car never showed up after multiple calls. I called to check on driver and was given misinformation. Driver did not go to the correct location. I was in a dangerous situation and needed a ride again. I finally had to use a private taxi service.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I highly recommend everyone to not use Zipcar. Instead go for rental car like Hertz or any other. Problems with Zipcar are: Most of the car will damaged and sensors will broken so can't unlock the car, this happened to me 4 times but even then they won't refund the money. The damaged car will available to book in the website so by chance if you book that car, your money is gone. Car won't be available for pick for 10-15 minutes and if you drop car 5 minutes late they will charge you $50 fine. Customer Care is too bad, If you call them they will talk in such a attitude and they will argue for everything. I am using their Service from last 7 months and I have spent around $2500. I am cancelling my Account with them and also my friends are cancelling it.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I started to join Zipcar online and my application froze halfway, making it impossible for me to start over because I was "already in the system" and also impossible to continue my application. I called customer service and the guy said he couldn't help me, to "go to my local office" and that he was being TOLD TO GET OFF THE PHONE with me because he "had been on the phone with one customer too long" -- even though he hadn't solved my problem at all (which was that I couldn't sign up and give their company business!!). I asked to speak to a supervisor and the customer rep tried to convince me NOT to talk to a supervisor because the wait time would be too long. I insisted and was on hold for just a few minutes.

Supervisor told me there are NO LOCAL OFFICES so that info had been wrong. He had to re-set the system for me to sign up again - but I tried and there was another glitch so just forget it! I live in Canada and they do not have a single employee here: we have to call the US (I think)... So without any local support and with a corporate website that doesn't actually work, it hardly inspires confidence - Seriously why would I give them business? No way. I'd suggest you don't either.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Tried calling to cancel, because they have a DARK PATTERN on their website which forces users into a retention department via PHONE instead of a simple request to CANCEL your membership. It's the Comcast strategy. Due to your lack of customer service in a sensible way -- my CC is canceled, you've been charged back. If you need to contact me it had better be in writing. It's my greatest hope that your credit card processor sees your fraudulent activity and increases your rates. It's overdue.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Please don't risk your money with Zipcar! They will easily charge your account without any proper explanation. Customer service and dispute resolution process is horrible! I spent 40 minutes of reservation searching for a Zipcar one to find out the person who had it before dropped it at the wrong location. I, however, dropped it off at the current location and time only to be charged a $75 (non-refundable) retrieval fee. And apparently there's no person I can speak to about past reservations and disputes only active ones. They're a complete joke - PLEASE don't risk your money. Closed my account with them today and won't be looking back! Will stick with Uber and Enterprise - they're cheaper at this point.

Original review: April 24, 2018

My experience with Zipcar has been overall very good. On my first rental, the gas card was missing, customer service was responsive and helpful as well as polite. On my second rental, the gas card had been replaced but the car wouldn't start after I unlocked the car and tried to start it. In this instance, customer service was polite and helpful, walking me step by step through a procedure that actually worked and I was able to complete the grocery shopping trip without further incident.

Even though there were small problems with the process, the car was clean, looked well kept and smelled good inside. Customer service was available, polite and helpful every time. I am planning a day trip soon and will continue to use Zipcar when I need it. I consider this company as providing a reasonably priced and easy alternative to other rental companies and overall a very good idea for my particular needs. I see no reason not to rate Zipcar as 5 stars.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Pretty disappointing when you get a $100 parking fee without any explanation AND with late fees even though this is the first email you get about it! Still have no idea what happened since the car was returned on time. Every time you call customer service you can never get a straight answer. Cars are not there half the time when you reserve them and customer service has never given any promised discount for future drives. Pretty stressful experience - won’t ever use ZipCar again!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I've had multiple mechanical issues with a Zipcar I try to rent, and in each case customer service has been entirely unhelpful. The first issue was a gas flap that refused to open/unlock. The car also had no gas when I picked it up for my reservation, which is against their own policy. Regardless of this, they told me there was nothing they could do and I had to return the car to its original location. I specifically asked them to follow up with me about when it got fixed since it is the only car in my primary Zipcar location and they never responded.

A month or so later I tried again, assuming the issue would be fixed or that at the last the car would have enough gas for my 4 mile trip for groceries. This time the car wouldn't even unlock for me. I call customer service again and there is almost no trouble-shooting followed by them canceling my reservation and saying they will send someone to fix it. A few days later I try to get groceries again since the car is available and I assume it has been fixed. Nope! I STILL can't unlock the car. I call customer service AGAIN and they say they don't know what's wrong despite a service team having been there two days prior. So somehow they both failed to fix the issue, failed to inform me it wasn't fixed, and allowed me to waste my time and reservation again for no reason. The worst customer experience I've had in a long time.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I would give them zero stars if that were possible. I rented and paid for one of their cars and picked it up to go from NY to NJ. On my trip back to NY, Zipcar locked me out of my car. I called to find out why I could not get in the car, and they told me they had a problem with my credit card. I had already paid for the car since Zipcar charges you for the rental when you book it, so my credit card charge had already gone through!!! After one hour on the phone with their customer service desk they allowed me back in the car. Their behavior in this case was nothing short of illegal. You do not lock someone out of a car for which they have paid you. I plan to cancel my membership.

Original review: April 1, 2018

While riding my bike on Broad St. Crossing the street, I had the green light. Zipcar driver opens car door nearly killing me. Caused me to crash and get injured. Breaks my bike. Zipcar denies claim. Says it was my fault. Criminal to hurt me and denied. Know what kind of company Zipcar is. Cheating and injuring the innocent and not taking responsibility. Corporate greed that doesn't care if they kill you. If you are injured by their negligence this company would rather you die than take responsibility. Criminal organization. ** Zipcar.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I subscribed to Zipcar over a year ago as I needed a car in Boston and thought it would be a good service. Not at all as cars are difficult to locate. I forgot to cancel the service so they continued to charge my credit card every month (my fault) though I never used the service again. You cannot cancel the service online even though they are supposed to be a "techie friendly" company. Not at all!!! Have to actually call a customer service agent and if you owe another month then you can't cancel until you pay them every last dollar of their monthly fees even if you didn't rent one car from them.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I had located Zipcar because I was planning to make a road trip and didn't want to go through the other dealers. Should have NEVER done it. I never received the card and when I asked if I could use my cell I was told no. I called multiple times for months and always got the "we will resend it" but never did. The last attempt was HORRIBLE. The "rep" lied to me saying he would get the manager/supervisor. Had me hold on (unmuted) and then the next thing I know I was hung up on. I am so glad my email sent me a notification saying they were going to bill me $70 (which when I first looked I only had 2 statements showing but while talking to the rep 3 appeared)... which they had billed me $25 prior YET it showed that I had not received my car (if I had received it I'm assuming it wouldn't ask if I received or activated on yet) or rented a car on their site.

I asked about the charges and he said he would have the 2nd $70 refunded and everything would go into effect (my cancelation request and the refund) the first of April... We will see. I had to constantly repeat myself of the same issues I had and when asked why I wanted to cancel/end I told him because I experienced horrible customer service (hung up on, lied to, etc) and why would I keep a membership that I was never able to use not by personal choice but because they never sent or would send the card. Scams and I am not one that gives reviews but Zipcar needs to receive this red flag, run from them fast, review.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Since the 8th of March 2018, Zipcar Hollywood CA has not lived up to their services. I made a reservation early enough to secure pick up located and vehicle, went to find out car was not available at 6793 Yucca St, location reserved. And they moved me to another vehicle and location, not once but twice. Then the location was out of my personal range for walking to pick up car. Then breaks on the VW Fox, was unsafe as I travel 35 miles to and fro. Then again this morning 3/10/18, it happened again. Each month they deduct from my account, but don’t give the customer good safe service. They have left me frustrated and untrustworthy of their services.

Zipcar expert review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

• Best for: Those with cars in repair and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information