3.4/5 (1043 ratings)

About Zipcar

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: May 26, 2022

Would have given zero stars if I could. They asked me to fill in my credit card details and were supposed to charge me only a monthly fee of $7.91 but I saw unfamiliar charges on my credit card without renting a vehicle. When I called, was told it was the application fee and they refused to reimburse me despite my telling them I wasn't informed about of these charges. A second time I called, the lady at customer service first promised to offer me a credit then said she had made a mistake and couldn't do that. Have never heard of something like this where a company would lie to a customer or go back on their word. I'm now afraid they'll sell my information because all they seem to care about is making a quick buck.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I rejoined Zipcar because I needed a car right away to attend a function. I decided to book the Zipcar for one day. I pick the Zipcar up and drove to and from the function, which a long of a drive. After the returning home from the function, I went to a local grocery store just minutes from my home and after that, I went straight home and didn't drive the Zipcar until the next day...the day I was scheduled to return the vehicle. That next day, I drove the Zipcar to a local gas station only minutes from my home. Even though the gas tank was between the 1/4 and 1/2 tank mark, I wanted to be courteous for the next driver scheduled to use the Zipcar after I turn it. After putting gas in the tank, I drove straight to the Zipcar location returning the Zipcar on time. I used my app to end the trip, which showed...what I thought was my final billing.

Later that day, it was on me to check my final billing again. My total charge went from approximately $155.00 (including damage and liability protection) to $491.50!!! Really? For only one day? I didn't drive the zipcar that far nor that much!!! The zipcar was just a plain/typical Toyota Corolla!!! I could've rented a luxury vehicle or an suv for 3 or 4 days for that much!!! The billing stated that I went over the mileage maximum of 180. I know good a well I was well within the mileage range AND DIDN'T GO OVER! THEY CHEATED...YES, I SAID CHEATED...ME OUT OF AN EXTRA $304.65!!!

I reached out and was on hold for about 45 minutes. I finally spoke with a Zipcar representative who was investigating and trying to see what was going on (or at least that what he told me). After all that, he couldn't help me. So, he transferred me to someone to better assist; however, I was place on hold for so long, I hung up. As I recall clearly, I was once a member of Zipcar a few years ago. I clearly remember driving Zipcars far more than what I did in this last trip.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2022

When I first started using Zipcar, it was easy to overlook the occasional dirty car that smelled like weed or didn't drive properly. Beware – the more you use this service, the more you learn that cleanliness and professionalism are not the standard, but the exception. My last few rentals have been completely filthy, and customer service is not useful because you can expect to wait 30 minutes to an hour even if you are currently on a rental. If you have places to be and value your time, this way of doing business is unacceptable.

One of my rentals broke down completely on a trip out of the city, and customer support mentioned that I would have to wait next to the car for hours on end before they would even consider dispatching someone to help me. I was forced to make another car rental, and notified the company. They tried to strong-arm me to go through a set corporate process to check the car and its multiple components when it was clearly undrivable and unsafe to operate. I asked for roadside assistance and they were unwilling to provide it unless I returned to the vehicle to go through the process they outlined – on VACATION.

This is the worst customer experience I have had with any service company, and this is after making more than 15 rentals, some long-term, through their platform. I wish I had never started my membership with Zipcar in the first place. A yearly fee pays for nothing but access to a dirty fleet and customer support that makes you wish you were talking to a robot instead. I would give negative stars if I could, and I will happily be using any and all of their competitors in the future. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: May 10, 2022

ZipCar is unreasonable and awful. Be warned. I applied to the cost of £10 (about $12.50). Checked all the requirements. No tickets, no fines, safe driver, UK license since 2004. I was confident I'd get approved. After a few days I was told my application was turned down, they keep the money and - no - they do not have to tell me why my application was turned down. I asked them to reconsider, re-look at my application and I was confident a human would see I should be approved. A week later I was told via email my application would not be approved by the appropriate department and they were keeping the non-refundable application fee. They take the money, and give no reason. Because they say they can. Totally not right.

I complained on Twitter and they say the same thing: the appropriate department has already contacted me via email. If there was a problem with my application, the LEAST they could do would be to say what it is. Because I'm at a loss. But they don't, keep the money and think that's ok. It's not ok. And I can't think of any other term for it than 'thieving.' So it's only right to let you know about it. Beware of ZipCar. Untrustworthy from the start.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I am so frustrated and dissatisfied with Zipcar’s service and reliability. Since March 2022, I have used their service to get to school from Seattle to Bellevue once a week. Of the 6 times I needed mobility, only two worked without problems. Here is my experience: The cars were not in the assigned parking lot two times, even though I booked them one week in advance. Once, I was assigned to a different vehicle than the one I had booked previously without further information on the reasons. Additionally, it was almost out of gas.

Zipcar’s credit card did not work to buy gas another time. It took them almost 2 weeks to reimburse me. Furthermore, I needed to contact customer service on Facebook to have someone look at my claim. On another occasion, I could not end the ride because the vehicle wanted to be returned to its assigned location. I parked it in its designated parking lot. I tried numerous times to reach out to customer service via phone in all these weeks. Unfortunately, I never reached someone even after staying 30+ minutes on the line.

Via Facebook’s live chat, I was lucky to connect to one of Zipcar’s representatives. They tried to solve my requests quickly. However, I never had the feeling that they understood the challenges I faced with their mobile app and service. I wished they would have been more empathic and holistic in understanding the issues. To me, Zipcar’s service appears to be chaotic and unreliable currently.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Be careful with ZIP CAR that they take your $28.25 every time you apply. And it is NOT REFUNDABLE. AND THE FEE IS JUST FOR REVIEWING THE APPLICATION. (1) They only advertise their service when you become a member; there is not enough information or notices about reviewing your status if you will be qualified or not. (2) It is sole their decision whether you will be qualified to use the service or not. When you call and ask them about disqualification, they will keep saying your application review is just "rejected." (3) And it is NOT REFUNDABLE funds. Moreover, you will have to pay another $28.25 if you want to submit another application later.

*Problem is that there is not enough notice to the customer that there will be a risk with such a fee regarding disqualification. I wonder how many people had lost their money and contributed to this cheap company to survive. They shall not last long. Even Equifax does not charge for checking your credits. The way they collect money from people is a bit off from the proper approach. (If anyone is willing to get your money back, I will join you. Contact me.)

Original review: March 25, 2022

ZIPCAR IS THE WORST. I remember when it was a great company... But now, service is HORRIFIC, the software DOESN'T WORK, tech support is by email only (no more help by phone), and if you have a technical support issue, nobody gets back to you for WEEKS. The latest example: We had an incident in a car (scraped some paint). Zipcar SUSPENDED our membership and said we had to file an incident report. But the incident report system is BROKEN. After a week, a tech replied to my call for help by saying 'we're aware of the issue'. Meanwhile, I'm told the incident can take 2 months to resolve -- but only after I submit the report, which I can't submit because the website is broken. Meanwhile, all my family members have been removed from my account. We're kind of desperate now, and there's no help in sight...

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

Zipcar is the worst company ever. It’s always an issue and they never take responsibility and the customer service people is just as worst. It’s always the same people with the same attitude. Horrible!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I have been a Zipcar member in Toronto since 2014. This company has been going down the drain for the last three to four years. Customer Service waits are horrible - waiting for 45 minutes to speak to a person about a problem with a one hour rental - on a recent occasion. Rates increasing without notice; problems with the app.; cars that are booked that do not start when you arrive to pick them up. This last problem happens at least one out of every four rentals now. I can no longer rely on the cars to be in good working condition. When I report it, nothing changes. I am on hold right now to cancel my membership and am now 52:34 minutes in on hold. They have bilked me for long enough. Enterprise Carshare here I come.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I arrived at the garage to pick up the ZipCar, the staff at the garage kept saying the car was't working and insisted that I called ZipCar to change the car. I asked him what's wrong with the car but he refused to tell me, just kept saying that the car didn't work. He started helping other customers and ignored me. I called ZipCar and put on hold for 10min before I could talk to a representative. While I was waiting, I asked the staff if he could just switch the location instead of having me called because I had an appointment to go to. He said no and I had to talk to ZipCar. After he finished helping all other customers, he said he's going to check on the car. When I finally got on the line with a ZipCar representative, he brought the car out and said the car was actually working. Because I was in a hurry, I just hung up the phone. It was 20min late from my original pickup time.

I ended up extended my trip for 30min on the App to 4:30 pm. I returned to the garage, there's a line. I waited in line until a lady came over. She kept yelling and asked me to open the trunk. I didn't know how to. She walked around the car a few times then left. I waited in the car until a guy gestured that I could leave the car. I left the car and forgot the end the trip on the ZipCar app until 5 min later.

ZipCar charged me for the extra time and a $50 late fee. I called to explain the situation, the lady said I should've called ZipCar right away when situations happened, so they would refund me the time I lost while waiting to pick up the car. Well, it's my first time using the service. They refused to refund the $50 late fee. I didn't even bother to ask for the refund of the wasted time at pickup! Terrible customer service, unreliable pickup, a lot of fees and surcharges. Cars are super dirty!

Zipcar author review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information