2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.04/5

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I have been using Zipcar for over 4 years, but in recent few years, they cancel my rental in few hours, and then I can't find any car that available. It's getting more frequently. It's not acceptable. I am cancelling the membership.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Rented a car weeks in advanced. They cancelled an hour before. I know this happens but over a week later and still no refund. They also haven’t answered any of my emails and no one to answer the phone when I call. Just tried calling at 10am and it said they are too busy and won’t be able to answer my call and it hung up. No way to get ahold of customer service.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I signed up for Zipcar over exactly one year ago. They charged me $15 for the annual fee, and then said my "Zipcard" would arrive in the mail shortly. Several weeks and many hours on hold later, my Zipcard never arrived. I tried to cancel my account and forget about the experience. Yesterday, a charge shows up on my bank statement: $15 for annual Zipcard fee. I find it fairly audacious for Zipcar to charge me the annual fee for a card I never received. I tried calling customer service, but an automated voice informed me they received too many calls that day, and then hung up on me. I opened a request on their help website, which still has not been answered. If at all possible, find another company to provide you with a carshare.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Just to reiterate the feedback from many people here, Zipcar have atrocious service. My rental was cancelled by them the night before I was due to collect the car. Which is inconvenient but I figured these things happened. But the idiotic thing is that 2 weeks later they still haven't refunded me the money, for the rental THEY cancelled.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Zipcar provide useful services to the needy people. They give low rate rental for their selection brand cars. Cars are in almost good condition. This company provide charming and friendly drivers in case if we need drivers. Zipcar rent fast cars with very affordable rates. We, the customer of zipcars help us to satisfy our need of urgent cars. I often used cars from this company as they can deliver and use their cars for a pleasant and nice ride. Affordable, cheap and luxury cars of zipcars can give very satisfying wonders of the wheels. No need to compete with other car rental company if you use zipcar once as they give more advanced and fast feature that are deliver to happy customers like us.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

A company that does not care one bit about its customer’s safety or experience. I genuinely have argument and am consider seeking legal counsel due to the atrocity of this company. How it remains as a business is high questionable and I strongly believe this company should be dissolved. I gave Zipcar four chances. Four more than I ever should have.

On one occasion, the car had weed laying inside. On two occasions, the keys and gas cards were missing. The car would only occasionally turn on during one of my trips. I was stranded without any help from customer service. They provided no solutions and refused to attempt to provide me with a key, even though I had the car for over a week yet. Another time, in the height of COVID in NYC, the car was absolute filth. This was after they had changed my specific reservation 2 times. The dashboard was splattered with foods, empty containers throughout, and the strongest stench of weed.

Out of my four experiences, I NEVER, not once, entered into a clean car. No excuse, especially during these times, that it couldn’t have been cleaned. The truth is, however, that zipcar NEVER cleans the cars. They are filth and trash. You pay high prices for extremely poor customer service availability and embarrassingly low standards of cleanliness. Do not waste your time and money. I assure you, no “convenience factor” or “app” will make up for this awful company.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

Two weeks ago, I reserve a Mercedes GL for a day trip with my wife. The first day in working six weeks straight. To take her out of the city, somewhere nice. Shortly before my reservation time, I receive an email that my reservation was switched from the Mercedes GL to a Honda Civic. How would you feel if you went to a restaurant, ordered a NY Strip Steak, and got served a Veggie Burger instead? I called, the rep found me another Mercedes at a different location, and we were finally able to take off. Only to find out that a) there is no gas card in the car, b) no EZ Pass (consequently having me stuck in the EZ pass lane with half a dozen of cars honking behind me), c) the car is banged up beyond belief (both sides had serious dents, and the bumper had come off), and d) the car smelled like cigarette smoke. Anyway, we were focused on our trip, Zipcar refunded me $60, and I almost forgot about it, until... today:

I rented a Honda CR-V to transport heavy items from A to B. The day was planned around the trip down to the quarter hour. Car was reserved from 12:30pm until 4:30pm. I was ready to activate the car at 12:15pm at the garage, but to no avail. No reaction. A guy standing next to me said: "I've been calling them all morning. They have issues with their system. And now they just switched me to this car here." Points at 'my' car, taps his card, gets in, and drives away. In the car I had reserved, and had walked half an hour to the garage for. I checked my email, and at 12:14pm, I received an update I had been switched to a similar car IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PART OF TOWN. It would have taken me half an hour to get there, and my time-table would have been completely screwed up.

I cancelled the reservation, and can only shake my head in disbelief. Who does that? It's like booking a flight to LA, and then the airline decides to fly you to Pittsburgh. What is going on? Reading the comments here and on Instagram, it seems the issues are systemic. Ever since Avis bought Zipcar, the number of cars available has been reduced, the maintenance has been terrible, and the customer service department seems to have been culled down to the bare minimum below the minimum. I will be canceling my membership. There is no value in being treated like this.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Zipcar is a larger than life disaster of a company that epitomizes horrible, opaque customer support practices. I rented a car from them for a weekend in the Poconos. The person who had the car before me arrived 15 minutes late. I was on hold with Zipcar the whole time to ask where the car was, but hung up once it arrived (never got a real person). This was an omen for what would happen next.

The car drove okay to the AirBnB and I took it for a short drive the next day. Then on Sunday, I go to drive the car home and it shuts off as I'm pulling out of the parking lot. The alternator died. It wouldn't stay on longer than 60s before turning off again. I called Zipcar and was on hold for 30 minutes before I could even talk to someone. They had me do all this dumb stuff like unlock the doors with the phone as if that's going to fix this busted car. They put me back on hold for another 15 minutes and then another guy made me do all the dumb stuff again before I told him it wasn't going to help. He said he would call a tow truck and call back in 5-10 minutes. HE NEVER CALLED BACK!!

Oh yea and during this time, I checked the state inspection stickers and they were expired! This vehicle they rented me was literally illegal to drive in the state of Pennsylvania and breaking down because it was in need of inspection. Oops! We called again, another guy picked up, I told him to skip the dumb stuff, he said he had to call someone else and would call back in 5 minutes. HE NEVER CALLED BACK!!

In total, we spent 2 hours standing in a hot parking lot with zero confirmation that anything was being done on their end. There was a parking lot attendant who I explained the situation to and she gave me a pass to put on the car so no one else would tow it. I gave up on getting a call back and took a $173 Uber ride home which they said they would refund me for. I emailed them the next day and it's been 13 days and no response. I'm calling them again as I write this review. I've been on hold now for 45 minutes. Will I ever get my refund? Who knows. Avoid this company at all cost.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

We live in NYC, upper west side. Have used Zipcar in the past. On the last trip, the driver window would not move up or down so we had a windy trip, but I thought this was just a fluke. But today's experience suggests that it was not a fluke and that this company is tanking: 1) They changed the car and location, except no phone number for the garage, I had to figure out on my own how to call the garage is, and it turned that the location given by Zipcar was wrong and that this garage "does not do Zipcars", thankfully he gave me the location of the garage I actually wanted;

2) Got to the correct garage, found the car with correct plates, but my card would not open the car, I called Zipcar, they said they "could not communicate with the car" to unlock it, and to "ask the garage attendant to open it with his card", but the attendant said his card didn't work on the car either; 3) Zipcar offered me an alternative car 1.5 miles away to the south on foot, I declined; 4) Zipcar offered me an alternative car a car 1.7 miles away to the north on foot, I declined; 5) Zipcar said "Oh, there is a white Mercedes 300 Zipcar in your garage, tag # starts with E79" but the attendant said "No such car here";

6) Zipcar then said I could take the Subaru Zipcar in this garage, tag # starts with JJJ, I found the car but my Zip card would not open it; 7) Zipcar now said "Ask the attendant to open the Subaru with his card and drive it out of the garage so I can communicate with the car", however the attendant said he was not permitted to do that. At this point our timed entry to our destination museum would have expired so I cancelled our trip out of town. They did cancel the charge but in my opinion, they should have given me credit for a free trip. We will not be using them again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

This company is garbage. One of the worst experiences I've ever had with a rental company. Here's the story: I sign up for the $70 membership plan, get approved, reserve a car for 3 days, and take a $25 Lyft to get to my car. Once I get there, I discover the right low beam light is busted out. No worries though. I pull up the app and hit the unlock button. The car won't unlock. I have great cellular reception. Restart my phone, etc. It still won't unlock. After waiting over 1 hour - to no avail - on the phone to speak with someone from Zipcar (mind you, I'm just standing idly outside in an unfamiliar neighborhood), I decide to take another $25 Lyft home. I decided to cancel my subscription and cancel the trip.

Two problems though. 1. You can't find the cancel subscription anywhere on the damn site or app. 2. I can't get a full refund because the company's policy is if you book a trip longer than 8 hours, you need to provide a 24 hour notice in order to receive a full refund. How am I supposed to provide a 24 hour notice when I am canceling within 1 hour of booking my trip? I literally can't provide a 24 hour notice and the company should know that. Trash company. Do not recommend!

Zipcar author review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information