2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.2/5 (704 ratings)

About Zipcar

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Zipcar has given me the worst service I have ever seen. I was given cars that did not work, cars that were not there, cars that had no gas card or an ezpass. I spoke with representatives that were rude. And very very unprofessional. Now for all this inconvenience that zip car has given me. (Mind you. This has been going on all week.) I was given driving credits and switched to another car due to the previous cars not working or malfunctioning equipment. (i.e. gas cards and ezpasses.). Me as a customer I should not have to pay for the irresponsibilities of others.

Now the driving credits that were given to me as compensation for the very very difficult time I was given were taken and now zip car does not want to give them back and I have not used them. Zipcar expects people to pay out of pocket when gas cards or ezpasses go missing. But expect for people to pay full price and expect no issues when service like this is provided. This is unbelievable. They should be ashamed at how they treat they’re customers. I will be canceling my membership.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I have been a Zipcar business member for over 3 years, renting at least one a week for my work. The quality of the car got worst with time, they don't seem reliable anymore, not to mention that most of the time cars are not available at the scheduled time, asking to move to other locations and losing sometimes one or two hours. Overall I can not take this anymore and decided to not use this company anymore. We tried to talk over the phone and explain the problem but they seem just they don't care.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I would give NO STARS if that was an option. Joined Zipcar for all of 13 days. The number of non-refundable fees charged without notice or advisement on their website is unacceptable, especially for family accounts. Not a company I want to have access to my credit card info so they can freely charge whatever they want, whenever they want. DO NOT RECOMMEND joining this service. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I was very polite and asked to speak with a manager regarding a concern. He told me "the manager said the same thing I told you." I asked again to speak with the manager and he hung up on me. His name is something like Alzoni. I only called them because it was last minute and I couldn't get a traditional rental but I'll have one on standby next time. No wonder I haven't used them since 2014.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

This company first of all, do not offer the services that they claim to offer. I signed up, they charged me for membership and all this other stuff, then I couldn't find a car in the area that they said they had available cars. THEN, after cancelling my membership and asking for my account to be deactivated, 2 months and many emails later they continue to charge my credit card every month for a membership that they confirmed was cancelled. Terrible customer service and they are thieves on top of it!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Deducted membership plan charges and was unable to use the service. Information on website and from customer service representative are 100% different. Please call and ask before jumping into Zipcar (in Kitchener, ON, Canada)

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I used Zipcar many years ago and they were always clean and well maintained. Not this time. I picked up my car, and it smelled really strongly of smoke. Additionally, the car was really dirty inside and outside. The AC did not work, and there was a notification on the dashboard: "Maintenance due now." This made me nervous, as I did not know what required maintenance. During my drive, it started raining and there was no washer fluid, so the windshield got very dirty, which was scary while I was driving. Throughout my two days driving the car kept stalling out at slow speeds.

When I called customer service, I was only offered a discount on my next rental, but not even a partial refund. Why would I want to rent another car in this condition?? There was no acknowledgment or apology offered. I paid so much for two days with a dirty and unsafe car. This is no way to run a company. I cancelled my membership. In all my years renting a car, I never received such poor service, or paid money for an inadequate car.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I called before applying to make sure I would be able to start driving when approved as a driver. Online there was conflicting info about this, so I called and was reassured over and over again that I would be able to start driving right when I was approved. I was told the Zipcar number would generate on my account right away. So I signed up, and paid the fee to find out that the reassurance I was given was wrong. I was able to cancel right away but they will not refund my $25 application fee for a product that I will never ever use. I am appalled and disgusted at the way this has been handled. Do not recommend Zipcar; try Turo instead!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I rented a car, which I confirmed could be unlocked by phone. I got to the pickup and was unable to unlock the car and Zipcar was unable to send it a signal. Two customers also left - one for the car not being available and another for similar unlocking issues. I spent 90 minutes on the phone with zip car finding me another car, which I told them my phone was international. I was constantly put on long holds on purpose, as no supervisor wants the liability of making an actual decision. Finally after being trekked to another location, and another 35 min on the call to unlock the car; I received an older car, with stains and cigarette smell. I decided to not take the car and now zip car after 60 minutes on hold tells me I should wait to see if a refund is approved. This is a joke. I would be embarrassed to be part of the leadership of this company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I was a Zipcar member for over 7 years when zipcar "migrated to a new platform" for NYC customers. Previously I was generally satisfied with the service and used it regularly. Then all hell broke loose and I was never able to rent a car again. The customer service has been horrendous. No one at ZipCar was able to explain what happened to my account or to fix it so that I could rent. I finally gave up and cancelled my membership. Fast forward 18 months. My circumstances changed and I tried to renew my membership. I was "approved" for membership but was still not able to rent a car. All the problems that existed before remain and the lack of customer service remained as well. For the last month I have been trying to get the money refunded that I paid for this non-service and even that is impossible. If you have not used ZipCar - spare yourself the annoyance and go elsewhere.

Zipcar author review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information