Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Zipcar Reviews

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I was involved in a accident with a Zipcar. I had the damage waiver. The claim department closed my case zip. Months later zipcar still have my account under review. No one in the company know what is going on with my account. I would definitely not recommend to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Zip Car is a great option for weekdays. They have a great overnight flat rate Monday through Thursday. Plus so many location options to get a vehicle. Their telephone customer service leaves a bit to be desired as you can wait twenty minutes on average for assistance.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I have been a Zipcar customer for years, and have always found the Zipcar service to be extremely valuable to me. I currently live in San Francisco, and although I don't need a car day-to-day, on occasion I have rented cars to take trips to nearby hiking locations, etc. When I discovered that Zipcar offered a monthly several months back, I registered thinking I would get a lot of use out of it. I saw no risk in doing so either, given the fact that Zipcar advertises their membership as one that you can 'easily' cancel any time. Unfortunately, however, I found myself not ever renting Zipcars like I thought I'd would, and after 7 months of being a member, I decided to cancel. I log in online to my account to do so, and am told I must call the customer service line in order to complete the cancellation. That was over a month ago.

The first two times I called last month, I waited on the line for over 30 minutes each time, unable to reach any representative. At the time, there was no callback option. I called a third time, waited on the line for over 20 minutes, and eventually gave up. Feeling frustrated from that, I decided to attempt to get in touch with Zipcar in other way. My efforts proved futile, as I could not locate any email or customer chat function. I eventually left them a message on Facebook. A few days later, someone replied to my Facebook message, and notified me that someone from customer service would get in touch with me momentarily. A couple days after that, I received an email from customer service, notifying me that I would have to call in to cancel my account! I could not believe it.

But, I've tried to be cooperative and play nice. I have tried calling Zipcar customer service several times since that email...still unable to reach a representative. They now have a 'call back' feature, which claims that someone will call you back once an agent has become available. I have requested three callbacks now, and still have not received any. I am at a loss for what more I can do. I have successfully contested the most recent Zipcar charge on my credit card statement, but is this something I will have to do every month, solely because Zipcar is IMPOSSIBLE to get in touch with? Fair warning to everyone, do NOT sign up for Zipcar's monthly membership unless you want to be trapped in a membership FOREVER, even though their policy tells you that you can 'cancel' at any time. What a scam.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

This has to be the worst experience I have ever had renting a vehicle and dealing with customer service. Zipcar booked me a car that was clearly damaged and UNSAFE to drive. When I tried to report this in the app, surprise! - the app doesn't work. I called customer service after this and they told me someone had already reported this damage before me which means they went ahead and booked a badly damaged vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I requested the free trial month, didn't use it and kept getting charged because I didn't cancel it (understandable). However, you HAVE to CALL in order to cancel the service but it's difficult to even do that because it takes far too long to have someone pick up the phone. I also emailed about this issue and about receiving a refund and the response for that was a little over a week. I can't imagine what I would do if I actually used the service and needed to emergency contact someone from Zipcar. Save yourself from the hassle of trying to use this service and go with Turo like I did - you'll deal with the owners of the car instead of a car service that is difficult to get in touch with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I reserved a Zipcar for this past Saturday in Brooklyn (a week prior). The car was nowhere to be found, was on hold attempting to reach a Zipcar representative for 50 minutes with my toddler impatient and crying after having lugged all the stuff ready for a day trip. I now have An anxiety disorder from having to call them again today and sit on hold for 44 minutes to cancel my membership. Person on phone totally indifferent. Zipcar is trying to implode by treating people who need a car in this callous manner. I will help with that process by never using them again and telling and posting to social media to warn others. It needs to be out of business. There’s needs to be another car sharing company available for the public.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

Zipcar is inconsistent and unreliable. Not only is Zipcar always cancelling my rentals but they constantly move the cars to other inconvenient locations. 10 blocks is fine, but to other boroughs? The last time I had a rental it was on 107th street on the east side of Manhattan and it was moved to 181 st on the west side of Manhattan. Zipcar offered to paid to the cab. 25 mins later we arrive at the location and the car is unavailable. We wait 20 mins and Zipcar now offers to go to the Bronx to pick up another car? Zipcar is disrespectful and inconsiderate. They tell me to just cancel my order as if I did not have plans that day.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

Zipcar customer service is woefully bad. You have to call every time you have a problem (and you WILL have problems) as the Zipcar app is very limited. While my first experience with Zipcar was OK, the second was really awful. The car I’d booked wasn’t in the allocated spot, then after long phone waits Zipcar sent me to THREE different locations and each time there was still no car, then when I finally got a car it was filthy with cigarette ash and a punctured tire. We wasted an entire day between trying to access a car and Zipcar phone wait times - DO NOT use Zipcar!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Like many others have said, Zipcar is fine until you have an issue... Then it's just incredibly frustrating. Each time I've had an issue, car not there, extended trip, incorrect charges etc, the app and online portal are very limited so you have to call. The hold times are always super long (20 min at least) which is extremely frustrating. I once waited an hour, then gave up. It's amazing that a company that lends its automobiles wouldn't have people standing by ready to help at any glitch. So I finally wanted to cancel my membership and I wasn't surprised that calling in was the only way. 40 min later and I succeeded. I own a subscription business and the first thing we did was add a cancellation button to the service. It's asinine that this wouldn't be an option on their membership page. This company needs to disappear.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I used Zipcar several times. It is good although it is expensive. However, the last experience made me not to use zipcar anymore. I met a broken car which could not start. I think it was because the former driver forgot to turn off the lights and the car was out of electricity. I called the number and waited for more than 20 mins. Nobody answered. If nobody around the phone, why not just leave a message? I did not know how to make my money back and it charged me. It was not my fault. Why I paid for it?

Zipcar expert review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

• Best for: Those with cars in repair and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information