1.72/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

69 Zipcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Every time I've used a Zipcar over the last 2 years something is wrong with the car: dirty, broken mirrors, service lights, smells, etc and the customer service team refuses to take responsibility, blames the driver for not communicating the car condition within 15 minutes of check-in (what if I have an appt or don't want to sit on the phone while driving?) and offers very low refund amounts ($10-20 max for a $100+ rental) and are very rude over the phone, and there is not an efficient system for servicing cars or requiring inspections at check-in, if they invested in iPads or something to report conditions before/after car use. I will not be a member any longer and do not suggest anyone to use zipcar, I think they should be ashamed for high rates and poor quality cars/service!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Zipcar has cars in very poor condition and absolutely horrendous customer service. I joined Zipcar when it first began in 2000, and it was great. Since then, it was acquired by a different company and the business model does not work for such a huge company. Their cars often don't function and customer service blames you or lies to you. In one of my last trips, the fuel gauge did not work - would not move past empty - and I ended up covered in gasoline on my way to an important business meeting. Zipcar sucks. Do not use. Try Enterprise or Uber.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I recently rented a car this past weekend and was accused of smoking in the car which is completely offensive. Neither I, my girlfriend or her 81 year old father smoked in the car. I've dealt with several cars that have been left disgusting, not parked in the correct car share street parking locations and cars unfit (ie: smashed hoods etc) to drive, and cars with maintenance lights on. I'm completely and utterly offended by this and honestly will rate Zipcar as one of the worst car sharing companies that exist. It should be noted that Zipcar is a subsidiary of Avis hence why the awful customer service, longer call waiting times etc has slowly grown since the purchase. Likely to be another garbage car rental company in due time!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

IF YOU ARE EVEN CONSIDERING SIGNING UP with ZIPCAR, READ THIS FIRST! I rented a truck to go camping this summer for 4 days. Last month I received a notice that during that time I got a parking ticket. The ticket was issued in a city that was 450 kms the opposite way of where I was. I called and told them there was some kind of mistake, I was never there and they put in a dispute. I went to reserve a car yesterday and my account is locked until I pay this ticket! I showed them that Gatineau is 450 kms from my house, one way. On my reservation invoice that they issue it says I drove 396 kms so pretty simple right?

Gatineau is a 900 km round trip and I only drove 396 so that is proof I couldn't have been there! Nope, not to Zipcar! They told me, "Sorry we already paid the ticket so you have to pay it." WTF? I have been a member for like 6 years. My wife 4 years before that. There have been some summer months where we spent over $3000 on Zipcar. I spent enough with them to buy my own car, that alone should be enough to get rid of the ticket! But on top of that I have PROVEN BEYOND ALL DOUBT that I was never there and yet my account is still locked. They say they have the industry's gold standard of service, now you know that's bull. Sign up with Maven instead, They have top of the line cars, and great service!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I enjoyed using this service as long as they stop charging the monthly fee. I used to just pay for what I use, but if they stop charging the monthly fee, I might use their service again. Until then, other businesses get my business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have never in my life had a worse experience with a company. We were charged for a car we couldn't use because of an engine problem and our trip was delayed by two hours. We didn't even take the car off the lot and I was on the phone with customer service for over an hour. We had to pay to go to a different lot to find another car, and then were given two hours of free driving credit in exchange. I called to extend our reservation since we had already lost two hours of driving time and was explicitly told by the customer service rep that we would not be charged because they would use our free driving credit. Lo and behold, we were charged an extra 2 hours. Customer service is absolutely useless and is unable to do anything to help. THIS IS FRAUD. I will never again use Zipcar and will make sure that no one I know uses it either.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I set up a group account so that volunteers for my group could drive other volunteers from our campus. I had five people to sign up. They were approved in a timely fashion, but volunteers were not getting their cards to use the service. I called Zipcar and they said they could send new cards but could not tell me why not one of the 5 got their cards. We had new cards sent. Still, weeks later, no one has received their cards. This is absurd. They charged me for all 5 drivers but not one of them can use the service weeks after being approved. I need to find a better choice.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Zipcar, Inc., mainly, New York City office, falsely assures members, appeasement for unsatisfactory issues beyond members' control; falsely assures reservation rates, serving as a bait tactic, in conflict w/, New York Consumer Protection Law. See, § 20-700 Unfair Trade Practices Prohibited. Member, followed up per assurance from, Jade (Rep. ID: **) pertaining to driving credit, she failed to issue, following assurance via telephone. Member, billed incorrectly. Member received correspondence via e-mail, account was then, suspended, w/ no detailed explanation, other than rhetoric, in attempt to deter proper business practices. Member has combatted documented, false assurances on multiple occasions, following poor customer service; similar practices. This, unacceptable, as account, in good standing, monetarily; following multiple years of membership.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I rented from this company who shut their car off in my driveway for over 5 days and decide I owe them for towing their vehicle off my property that they electronically and remotely shut off. Nowhere in the contract does it state that I’m responsible for a car that I have no access to. They refuse to answer me in emails or phone calls. I’m forced to take legal action against their false charges.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have been a Zipcar member for 7+ years. Ever since they were bought by Avis the quality has fallen, but has recently accelerated their decline. They have reduced the number of pick-up slots, the cars have become old and unreliable, the customer service has been outsourced...

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Use Zipcar if you like inconvenient locations, high prices, and 20-minute hold times when you need help on the phone. Also, it's impossible to cancel your membership. They'll keep fraudulently charging your credit card no matter how many times you tell them you're through. Fortunately, there are much better car-sharing and short-term rental companies out there!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I've had one bad experience after another with this company. For example: Renting a car which turns out to be super dirty. Calling after the rental is over, expecting some compensation, but they only say you should have called before you started the rental and there's nothing they can do about it now. The next time I rent a car that's dirty I call right away before I use it, but the phone tree simply asks me to "leave a voicemail describing the condition". Then when I call back and press zero to try to speak to someone I am put on hold for long enough that I give up.

I signed up for an account through my university on a page which clearly says 0 annual fee. When I'm charged an annual fee I call up and they say sorry, it "must have been in the terms and conditions" and there's nothing they can do. You see, this is not a customer friendly company. You are bound to have some kind of frustrating experience.

What can you expect with Zipcar? Surly/unperceptive customer service. Automated phone tree/long wait times when you call. Dirty/smelly cars. Gas which always seems to be low. Fees charged to your account you didn't expect. Cars which cost more than you expect to rent. No/low availability of cars when you really want/need them. If at all possible, go with a local rental car agency instead. They will give you a clean car with a full tank of gas, and there's someone physically there to help you if the car has a problem and you need another. Rental car companies don't have the best reputation but Zipcar is the WORST!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Only the facts. Have been a member for 5 years (until now). Very poor customer service (vindictive and untruthful). Damaged and dirty vehicles (interior and exterior). Very liberal with penalties regardless of circumstances. Texting system for extending rental period is broken (fees). Very quick to immobilize and set-off alarms. Reserved cars and locations are switched frequently. Long wait times for customer service (30 plus mins). Keys/gas cards/parking passes missing from vehicles. Low fuel and windshield fluid (safety hazard).

Some of these issue are attributed to the members, however I have complained about missing keys, cards, passes, damage, dirt, damage, low fuel/fluids only to find the same vehicle a week later with the same issues. Very quick to charge a fee but won't reimburse for a poorly maintained vehicles. I would like to think ZIPCAR would check their vehicles on a weekly basis and not rely on member complaints. I am taking a serious complaint to head office regarding a vindictive service rep who hung up on me and failed to extend my rental. They charged me the late fee, the extra hour and still immobilized the vehicle and activated the alarm system in a high density residential area. They replied to me about availability of other vehicles (the app provides available inventory in the area).

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I gave my credit card once and used Zipcar once. For which I have been charged every one month 7$. Even though I opted out of the 7$ monthly pay, they still charge you for 7$. Never use this. Go for enterprise or discover for car rental.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

My car was hit by a Zipcar driver in London UK, whilst it was parked in a street close to one of the depots and I was walking my dogs in a nearby park. The driver was consulting his phone map to see where to leave the car. He admitted that he was breaking UK law in using a phone whilst driving a car. He had no insurance documents. He had no warning triangle and his damaged car abandoned in the middle of the road was nearly hit several times. The call center (in Boston?) refused to give me any UK office address or any name of an insurance company. The responder admitted that this was wrong and sympathized that I had to walk four miles home.

I emailed the president of the company Ms. Tracey Zhen. After 17 days, she has not replied. Nor has the promised Avis courtesy car materialized. Nor has the repair been authorized though it costs under $2000. I am therefore forced to sue the driver and report his criminal driving to the police. Zipcar has broken the law in many respects as has the driver. But for a potential Zipcar renter, the concern should be that if he or she smashes into somebody else`s car, a courtroom awaits. The insurance blocker employed by Zipcar in the UK to save a few cents on repair charges, actually told me that she would close the account and that I should sue. Unfortunately I am left with no alternative but to pursue the driver who may get a criminal record, as a result.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I got a Zipcar for a few hours to attend a meeting at my place of work. After the meeting was let out, I went to put my card less key on the sensor attempting to gain access. The car door never opened up! I called and got the door unlocked. Next, I stopped somewhere else and the same issue happened, I was mortified. As my day went on I kept thinking to myself that if I stop again I'm afraid that the door won't unlock, which can be embarrassing among many other things. Zipcar gave me some few credits and I ended my trip early. I do not think I will be using this service again, it's good to have as an alternate transportation option.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I had signed up for Zipcar through my university’s program with them, which is SUPPOSED to be a free membership for a year and then 35 hours of driving credits. Never got either, spent a MONTH trying to fix it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have had what is the worst customer service experience to date. So I decided to reserve a Zipcar for an hour in order to pick up some furniture. I finished after 26 minutes and then wanted to show that I was done, that way if someone else needed to reserve the car earlier they could. There was no option to do so in the app, only the cancel reservation button. I pressed it and the app told me that the price would stay the same so I clicked it to free up the car. Fast forward a couple days and I have a charge for twice the amount.

I call customer service and the first person I talked to put me on hold for about 5 to 10 minutes each time for what was probably a total of 5 times. I had asked the question of why I was being charged TWICE the amount even though I was in the middle of the reservation, AND after the app told me the price wouldn't change. She gave the response that, "you canceled it, therefore you are charged a cancelation fee. If you had just left it there you would not have been charged." So my question was why to give the option to cancel to someone who is in the middle of their ride.

Who would knowingly end their ride earlier in order to just pay more? The app gave no indication of this and went so far as to say, "your new price is," when telling me that it would be the same amount. Regardless of this, they did nothing to help out the situation. Then I asked to talk to a manager and they ended up hanging up on me. Luckily they called back but then continued to say that it is my fault that I canceled in the middle of the trip so I was charged. On top of this when asking what department they work for they just said, "Zipcar", not even customer service or anything along those lines, which I guess in hindsight was pretty accurate because that experience was the farthest from customer service as you can get.

The representatives were rude, unhelpful, and overall just blamed me for the situation instead of trying to help solve the issue. If I was Zipcar I would make it so that once the trip has started, have an end trip button instead of a cancelation, because giving a cancelation button that then gives a "new price" that isn't accurate to what the statement says is EXTREMELY misleading and overall just a really poor design meant to gouge its customers of every last cent that they can get.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

So I was recently in the Buffalo, NY area and decided to rent a Zipcar as the cheaper of several options that included the standard rental car companies stationed at the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport. I arrived about an hour late after a long day of travel and travel related delays coming from Portland, OR. I specifically decided on an SUV that was housed on the UB campus. I arrived at approximately 2 AM to pick up my SUV. The vehicle absolutely reeked of marijuana. Additionally, there was a note from what I assumed was the previous driver asking me to call them (I did not). Instead, I called Zipcar but was unable to speak with a representative due to the hour of the day.

I left a VM indicating that I was not seeking to cancel the reservation or receive any form of compensation, but merely wanted to make them aware of the condition in which the vehicle was discovered upon my arrival. I never heard back from anyone regarding my concerns. This company appears to have significantly fallen off in as many years. They used to be a great, reliable service that served as an alternative to traditional rental car companies where you might be required to rent by the day. I'm debating whether it might be worth it to consider enrolling in the Enterprise CarShare program. It appears to have great online reviews and a truly responsive customer service department. The rental experience with Zipcar, while convenient, no longer seems like a viable option.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Zipcar idea is awesome - get a car whenever you need one without the hassle of owning it yourself. The problem is the execution. It was immediately evident from my very first experience that Zipcar is very poorly run. My first reservation, the car wasn't there. I called Zipcar and waited an hour to speak with somebody. Their response: "We don't know where the car is." Their resolution: Take a taxi to the nearest Zipcar location and they will change the reservation to that one. Awful. Fast forward 6 months, I've tried it a few times and had a myriad of problems: previous renters arriving late and cutting into my time, cars not being where they're supposed to, push-to-start cars not turning on. Each problem requires you to call Zipcar and speak to someone. I've never had a friendly phone operator and always leave the call upset and feeling ripped off. Avoid this service.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I had the same problem as a lot of others that left reviews where I never received my card in the mail. The company is almost impossible to get a hold of and they don't make it easy to contact them through the site. I had to Google their # since it wasn't listed on their own site. After speaking with their reps on the phone I couldn't believe how unprofessional and rude they were.

I just discovered this company thinking it sounded like a great concept but that can only go so far when you have incapable and unprofessional folks running it. As a possible new customer I was turned off immediately after speaking with them on the phone. I couldn't even speak to a manager. When I politely asked for one I was actually told "no". Ummm okay. I would never give this company another try, or bother recommending their usage to anyone I know just to save them the headache!

Original review: July 25, 2018

The Zipcar is a lot of fun. It's safe. The price is pretty good too! I think there should be more of them. It is a modern way to ride these days. Got to keep up in the world!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Although I live in Houston now, during my years in Chicago, Zipcar came in very handy and very convenient. You can have one of their vehicles for an hour or for a week.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I signed up for Zipcar online July 1, 2018. I called them on July 4th to ask when my card was mailed out. They proceeded to tell me that my address was not recognized with the USPS. I gave them the other name of my street. They again said the USPS does not recognize that address also. I said, send out the card to the original address (the one on my driver's license). They said they would. On or about July 9, I called Zipcar again to say, “Please send the card to the address on my driver's license.” They claimed that they would.

My last call to them was on July 19 when I told them to close the account because I still had not received the card. They agreed to so but they wanted to hold my application fee. I said, "You cannot hold my application fee because you screwed up". This was a bad experience with Zipcar. My experience with applying to Enterprise CarShare was extremely well executed. Enterprise sent me my card with no problems.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I never managed to join. The website keeps on breaking down ("oh sorry, we just hit a bump in the road"), they don't answer the phone, the email address they provide is invalid, the documents I sent on three occasions were lost. Pathetic.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have stupidly signed up for Zipcar twice before. Once a couple of years ago and once this past week, because it was either that or look into signing a lease on a new car. I thought I would give Zipcar a second chance. I WAS SO WRONG. The first time, the zip car was supposed to be in the garage behind my apartment building. I had a whole day planned. I show up, there is no car. I call Zipcar and they tell me where I can go to find another car. No. That's not the point. That's unreliable and who needs a service like that. I canceled, and my $25 application fee was NOT refunded. Couple years later... I live in a less populated area and I need access to get out and do things like doctor's appointments.

I schedule a car near me for a 3 hour window. I show up... no car. Call Zipcar again. She said, "Oh, we sent you an email saying there was a change with your reservation." I had no idea. It was 26 minutes before I was supposed to be sitting in the car. I was getting ready and walking to the location while this apparently happened and had no idea. After then getting on a bus to get to the next location (and already missing my doctor's appointment) I am strolling up and down the street looking for the next car they booked me. Well, lo and behold this one was nowhere to be found. I'm on the phone with customer service again, and they have no answers except I can cancel the reservation.

Are you out of your mind? If I wanted to spend 2 hours on the phone with customer service and wander all over the streets of Chicago for no reason, I would have never made a reservation to begin with!!! I am absolutely appalled by this company. They should not even be in business. Out of 3 reservations I've made with them, I've been in ZERO cars! Trust me. You will just waste your time and money if you attempt to use this service. Unfortunately I will never get back the 2 completely wasted days I tried to use Zipcar and have now lost $50 in application fees that they will not refund to me. NEVER EVER EVER USE ZIPCAR!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Car never showed up after multiple calls. I called to check on driver and was given misinformation. Driver did not go to the correct location. I was in a dangerous situation and needed a ride again. I finally had to use a private taxi service.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I highly recommend everyone to not use Zipcar. Instead go for rental car like Hertz or any other. Problems with Zipcar are: Most of the car will damaged and sensors will broken so can't unlock the car, this happened to me 4 times but even then they won't refund the money. The damaged car will available to book in the website so by chance if you book that car, your money is gone. Car won't be available for pick for 10-15 minutes and if you drop car 5 minutes late they will charge you $50 fine. Customer Care is too bad, If you call them they will talk in such a attitude and they will argue for everything. I am using their Service from last 7 months and I have spent around $2500. I am cancelling my Account with them and also my friends are cancelling it.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I started to join Zipcar online and my application froze halfway, making it impossible for me to start over because I was "already in the system" and also impossible to continue my application. I called customer service and the guy said he couldn't help me, to "go to my local office" and that he was being TOLD TO GET OFF THE PHONE with me because he "had been on the phone with one customer too long" -- even though he hadn't solved my problem at all (which was that I couldn't sign up and give their company business!!). I asked to speak to a supervisor and the customer rep tried to convince me NOT to talk to a supervisor because the wait time would be too long. I insisted and was on hold for just a few minutes.

Supervisor told me there are NO LOCAL OFFICES so that info had been wrong. He had to re-set the system for me to sign up again - but I tried and there was another glitch so just forget it! I live in Canada and they do not have a single employee here: we have to call the US (I think)... So without any local support and with a corporate website that doesn't actually work, it hardly inspires confidence - Seriously why would I give them business? No way. I'd suggest you don't either.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Tried calling to cancel, because they have a DARK PATTERN on their website which forces users into a retention department via PHONE instead of a simple request to CANCEL your membership. It's the Comcast strategy. Due to your lack of customer service in a sensible way -- my CC is canceled, you've been charged back. If you need to contact me it had better be in writing. It's my greatest hope that your credit card processor sees your fraudulent activity and increases your rates. It's overdue.

Zipcar expert review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

• Best for: Those with cars in repair and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information