2.79/5
  • 1 star
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 21, 2017

19 Zipcar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Zipcar is an absolutely ridiculous company. I've been trying for almost a month to register online. Every time, I get an error page that says "our website is down please try again late." I call Zipcar, finally, because you can only call, there is no other contact method. The person on the line says to go online to register. He can't help me. His only message to me is to try again. I'm sorry, but a month of trying every couple of days from different browsers and different computers (which was his only recommendation and I've already done that) and you can't offer any support when I call? That's not a business. I'm not sure how they even stay afloat with such a poor customer service model.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I have been long time member and they treated me like garbage, the member service team does not care about their customers one bit. It is probably the worst place to rent your care because they steal your money and their customer service is horrible and I feel like their management does not care either. I was charged a late fee due to a technical issue that was not my fault and they suspended my account, which was not fair. I have spent countless amounts on this company and they could care less. I was arguing with the guy on the phone who was a supervisor and told him to lift my suspension but he did not want to do it. I told him it is not fair to suspend an account when it wasn't our fault and he said, "We are just following the rules." And I told him, "How do you sleep at night lying to people?" And this is why you have two stars on your Yelp page and your company is going down because you guys do not care for your customers.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 24, 2017

For the week of July 4th, I rented a Zipcar, which I used to travel to New York City from Boston. On the way to New York, 180 miles from Boston, the car got a flat tire. I was with my wife and 4 month old daughter. For color, the car had been serviced the prior day by Zipcar and should not have had any issues. When I spoke to customer service at Zipcar, I was told to leave the car to be towed. Regarding the rest of my trip, I was told that I should do whatever I need to do in order to complete the trip and return to Boston, including taxi, flights and alternative modes of transportation. To that end, I got an Uber from Greenwich CT (where the car broke down) to New York City.

I then took a car service from New York to Boston on July 8th. The total cost was $1000. I submitted my receipts the following week to Zipcar. I never received a response from Zipcar, but when I called, I was told that my reimbursement request, which was approximately $1000, was denied. This is in stark contrast to the original agent’s guidance and reassurance that I should do anything it took to complete my trip and submit the expenses to Zipcar. Their cars are in terrible condition, the customer service follow-up and feedback is terrible and they do not follow through on their promises.

Original review: July 19, 2017

When I applied, I did it because of the good reviews and good stories I heard from this company. However, my own experience was very disappointing. I submitted my application and provided my credit card. A week later, I received the card and a welcoming letter and I was charged $33. I thought, it was it, I thought I could start renting. Wrong. According to Kristy from Member services, they couldn't access my driving information, although I drive every day, and I have no issues whatsoever with my DL or record. They ask me for the same information 3 times, later they asked me for a copy of my DL. To me, that's already fishy, specially with all the fraud going on online in these days, please note that I am not very savvy on technology. I refused to send that copy and I requested the end of the contract along with my refund.

First, they said they will keep the $25 fee to pay for a driving record. I wrote back an email saying that they actually took $33, and asking what driving record if, according to their previous emails, they couldn't access my information. Then, Kristy wrote stating that the charge was $30 for the application and it was not refundable. I am disappointed because: They should tell people of that fee at the moment of application. I think that is an important point to be told to people and not to expect people to read the entire contract to find it out. The misleading information. First they said the fee was $25, then they said it was $30. First they said it was for a driving record, then they said it was for the application.

In my particular case, I provided the information. What did they need a copy of my driving license for? Why did they charge me if, according to their own emails, they couldn't access my information? If that is true, they and their system are responsible, not me. What labor they did to deserve that payment? I was not rejected nor approved. I don't recommend the company at all. There are too many better companies out there to chose from. I am a member now of "Car to GO," although, I haven't rent a car yet, at least they didn't steal my money using ridiculous excuses.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I purchased a $150.00 Zipcar coupon for my sister who was staying in a hotel in Baltimore. She brought her daughter to Johns Hopkins Hospital from Los Angeles where she was undergoing a lifesaving transplant. My sister had a Zipcar account, so I thought it would help her get back and forth to the hospital; she had been walking at all hours of the day and night to save money. Both of us received the confirmation email from Zipcar with the code to use to rent a car; my credit card was charged for the $150 purchase, however my sister could not redeem the coupon!

She made several calls but was told that "it was being researched and someone would call back." After two days without a return call, I called and was told that they could not discuss it with me because the coupon was not in my name despite the fact that I made the purchase! When my sister called, she was told that they could not resolve it with her because the coupon was purchased by someone else! One week later no coupon no return call to either of us. I finally filed a dispute with USAA for the charge to my card. WTF???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: June 14, 2017

My situation may not be shared by many, but, in the end I had to break my relationship with Zipcar because it was impossible for them to work around a safety rule, which, didn't protect either myself or Zipcar when applied. When you sign up they must mail the Zipcard to the same address as the one linked to your bank account or credit card. I'm sure this has to do with fraud protection, yet, I am living at a temporary address in an entirely different state from the one my bank account is linked to.

I can confirm, yes, that's my back account they have charged. Grant permission for them to continue to charge it, but, they insist on sending my Zipcard to this former address, where, quite frankly I don't have a quick or reliable way to retrieve the card. I also find this doesn't protect anyone in this situation, defying the reason for the rule to begin with. The only thing I got from Zipcar was a cold corporate mentality; since I couldn't be the square peg I felt I had to cancel my membership, oh, and of course forfeit the $25 'membership' fee.

Original review: May 14, 2017

Overall I have good experiences with Zipcar. But there is one major problem I have. If you rent a car you better know exactly how long you will need it. If whatever you need doing takes longer or traffic is really bad you may need to extend your reservation. And you can do that IF... And that's a big IF... IF nobody else made a reservation right after yours. If they did you pay a $50 an hour fine. And there's nothing you can do about that.

I know I need to return the car back on time but it doesn't always work out that way. ZIPCAR can be more flexible about that. They can let the other client know the car will be available an hour later, or they can offer them another car. Most of the time they will be ok with that. But no... So if in doubt you better reserve the car a few hours longer then you expect to need it, or you may end up paying big-time. It's a lottery if you need to extend your reservation. And that's not something people think about when making a reservation. P. S. Their gas-card also doesn't work once your exceeded your reservation.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

Horrible** service. They do not even accept customers at their location, yet their ** website says they do. They took money from my account before even mailing the card to me, so how the hell am I supposed to get the car out of the garage if I don't know when the card is going to be mailed to my address??? I want all of my money back, and I never even used Zipcar before!!! I will be reporting that ** service to the better business bureau because they annoy me so much with the way they handled my situation. I am so angry right now I am literally going to create a Facebook page to protest the extinction of their useless customer service! The supervisor was not even helpful at all!! He basically just repeated what every single employee repeated about Zipcar being mailed to your address and having to wait about 3-7 business days to be mailed, but can't even pick it up at their location!!!

Why do they even have a customer service at their location if they are no help???!!! Why still charge my card and wait months to mail me a new card!!! My new card is not here yet!!! I want my money back!!! I will never attempt to waste my money on this ** company ever again!!! I don't give three ** if this review is disgusting, but their company is disgusting and they wasted my time and my money. So report review if you want, Zipcar. I am reporting your ** service!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

They were very friendly. Anything I needed they did. Not a bit rude through the whole time. The first thing they did was greet me well. They had a smile and kept that smile all day. They made sure my needs were met. Anything I asked for they would try their hardest to achieve. I really would like to thank them. Another great thing was selection. They had everything. I gave them five stars because of that. I have never seen a company with the selections they had. If I were a company I would take all my advice from them to help my business grow to the highest rate possible.

Their value was ok. I mean i have seen better. But overall they were great. I would go to them anytime I would need them. I feel as if Im fully accepted there. They show me the utmost respect and care. I really love it all. Simplest checkout ever. I had not a single problem. They were there to help. I feel even if a problem were to occur that they could handle it fast and effectively. Absolutely amazing. Awesome.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

Well the service was very exceptional. I would definitely use their services again in the future. I appreciate the way they helped me through the process without being too pushy. Great selection. Their selection of cars was way way way better than others. I felt like I was a very very rich man picking out a new car to buy for myself. Everyone should definitely consider using the services of this great organization. I highly recommend this to every one that is constantly on the go. The process was definitely great with checking out. I appreciated the ease of checkout. For someone who is constantly needing to move from place to place, I need that kind of reliability.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Decent people who are willing to help you out with any and all questions. Attentive to details. Able to get the best choice of vehicle for my particular needs during my visit. The staff were eager and willing to list for me all available makes and models which allowed me to choose from a variety of vehicles and make sure that it was the best option for me at the time. I have rented vehicles numerous times over the years and from a variety of different companies, and as far as I am concerned, the bigger the company, the more I pay. The checkout process was quick, easy, painless. To the best of my recollection, I was in and out in under ten minutes, and wasn't surprised with hidden fees.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

Customer service representative was very friendly and efficient. Any questions I had were answered and things were well explained so I knew what to expect. I had no issue with the selections. I got something that suited my needs and had no issue with the vehicle. Everything went well and I was satisfied. The price was a bit higher than I would have liked, but the vehicle was well maintained and clean. The customer service made the slightly higher than expected price worth it. Check out was very easy. All I had to do was turn in my keys and sign a paper. They already had my payment details so that was taken care of.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

Called and ordered a car to pick me up and they were there when I needed them to arrive. The customer service was very friendly on the phone and got all the information that they needed. Very happy with the opinion from from Zipcar. They are a very good company to work with. Everyone was very friendly on the phone. The prices were very reasonable and I think I would recommend them to family and friends. Will use the company again when I need a car. Speedy service when I went to the check out. Had the car ready and then presented my credit card and it went through right away. Had no problems with the company.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

They were very kind and willing to help you if you needed it. Great customer service and great to work with. A plus all the way. Would highly recommend to my family and friends. They had great options to fit any budget and would really work with you if you needed it. Great selection of styles as well. Which is great and really cool and fun. Just wonderful all the way. Very good value. And very cost effective which is also great. Worth every penny. And that's great nowadays to be able to find something like that. Very fast and helpful and useful which is great. Can't find that just anywhere these days. Everyone is always so busy. Any way you can save a little time is great.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I felt that everyone I dealt with was competent and helpful. I found my experience to be pleasant and easy and was extremely satisfied with my experience. I was happy with my option choices and felt that any of my needs would have been met depending on what they were. Other companies I've used in the past did not have as vast of options. I'm someone who is always looking for a super cheap deal so this rating is hard for me but I still felt I got a good deal and it was worth the money for my great experience. I dread checkout times and am a very harsh critic when it comes to this but I was pleased with my experience with Zipcar. It was easy and painless!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

Easy and personable and customer driven. Convenient enough and friendly associate on the phone. Answered all of my questions with no issue and I'd recommend them. This was easy enough because my school had only two cars but they were both new and nice and I enjoyed driving it to the airport to get a friend. Even to go the airport was like 10 dollars and that is a very very far drive from my school and since we could share between four people it was good value. Quick and easy and the app was convenient and easy to understand. Very user friendly and good to share fare between multiple riders in the car.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

I was extremely satisfied with the customer service. They were so helpful and willing to work with me. The selection process was easy as was the rental process. The selection process was extremely easy. I was able to book my rental online and claim my car the next day. The car was clean and well taken care of. The value was great for the money. I plan to do this often because it's easy and cheap and totally worth the money. The checkout process was so easy for me to use. I was very satisfied with the whole process. I am definitely going to recommend Zipcar to all of my friends and family.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

The customer service for the car I rented was adequate and exceed what I expected to receive from a company that I had never experimented with like Zipcar. When I arrived at the rental station, I was supplied with a variety of option which included many different cars in which I had never driven before. There was also no extra fee for whichever option I could choose. I'd say the value was much better than previously expected before I arrived at the car rental station. I felt as if I received a pretty good car for the amount of money I was willing to spend on the rental. The process of checking the car I wanted to purchase was good for the most part in terms of customer service but the amount of time it took to fully check out was a little bit below my expected standards.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

A great way to get a car for just a day. I found the process quick and efficient. It was very easy to get a car for the day and I was very pleased with the car itself. Everyone I dealt with was nice and pleasant to deal with. I feel that there were enough options to make it an enjoyable experience. The choices were not as vast as at a traditional car rental agency but the ones I had to choose from were well taken care of, clean and seemed to be in good repair. I had no issues with the car I chose.

I have to say that being able to rent a car on an hourly basis was a very good experience for me. I was able to save quite a bit of money compared to having to rent from an agency. The car I used was very fuel efficient and it only cost me $8 in fuel for the time I used it. The check out process was easy and convenient. A very intuitive interface that is pretty standard. No surprises, simple and straightforward. I was completely happy with the way it worked and had no problems.

Zipcar expert review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

• Best for: Those with cars in repair and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information