Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.38/5

104 Zipcar Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Well, try creating an account. Failed - 3 help desk call later they eventually get it to work. Get told that, "Ye we have problems in our back end." Next, they charge me insurance, hay I don't even have a Zipcard yet! So call up to find out what's happening. Go through 3 drop-out calls, one infinite logic loop with a call centre agent, who was totally unhelpful. Give up, cancel membership... Jeez do these people want customers?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Paid for membership for my daughter. She has not received her card and when I called to find out when she would receive it, they refused to tell me. According to them, I am not their customer. I paid them and they charged my credit card but I am not their customer. The supervisor, Ishmael, was no help. He was smug and rude. Zipcar needs to hire better people if they want to stay in business. I, their customer, will be cancelling my membership.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Signed up for Zipcar based on their map of locations. When I went to use it for the first time none of the locations near me existed. Called the company to ask why I do not see the locations and was told that they have parking lots but no cars at these locations. Cancelled my subscription, they will refund my payment.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Booked a car for the whole day. When I went to pick it up, the car was not present. After calling them, they told me that the car was out for maintenance. I was not given any intimation about this and top of that the person who helped me first said they would try to find out about the car and call me back. That person did not even have the courtesy to call back. I had to call back again to follow up. Ridiculous. Never again am I going to use Zipcar.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

The second time that I rented a Zipcar the car wouldn't unlock. (The receptor on the windshield blinked and buzzed but that was all.) I called Zipcar and was put on hold for twenty minutes before an operator in the Philippines with a difficult-to-understand accent responded - - - and offered no help whatsoever. I have canceled my Zipcar membership.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I reserved the car for August 23 12:00am, I get to the car and it's damaged and does not unlock. I call it in and the lady redirected me way out of the way to O’Hare Airport for a replacement vehicle so we moved the reservation time to 2:00am. I get to the vehicle finally, and the vehicle has no signal. I call it in and they said there is nothing that they can do, so now I'm stranded over 45 miles from home with no more and no way home because I put it all in the car so now I'm stranded at 3:31am on August 23 at O’Hare airport with no way home, no money and no help. I am willing to take this further if needed.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I booked a car 2-3 weeks in advance for my vacation in Denver. 24 hours before I was scheduled to pick up my vehicle, Zipcar told me my reservation was cancelled because of a mechanical/safety issue with the car. They automatically switched me to a lesser car (without 4WD and a Park Pass) for the same price. I talked to customer service and they eventually switched me to another vehicle that was comparable to the original. 2 hours before I was scheduled to pick up my vehicle, I received ANOTHER call saying my Zipcar was not returned by the previous user and no other Zipcars were available in Denver. The customer service agent couldn’t care less about the inconvenience, and didn’t offer much of an explanation or apology. I’ve now wasted several hours of my vacation getting a new rental car sorted out when I thought I had taken care of this weeks ago. Do not rely on Zipcar! They will leave you stranded at a moment’s notice.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I reserved a "Honda Civic" with license plate number "**" on 8/14/19 which would be picked on 8/17/19 at 10:00am and returned on 8/18/19 at 10:00am. I received a reminder on 8/17/19 at 8:57am regarding my reservation, so I thought for sure the vehicle was returned from the previous member/customer and ready to go. Upon my arrival I noticed the vehicle I reserved wasn't on site; which was strange because I received a reminder beforehand. There were plenty of vehicles and when searching the parking lot, I seen another "Honda Civic" with license plate number "**". I immediately called customer service to inform them the vehicle I reserved was nowhere to be found and how there's another Honda Civic with a license plate number similar to the vehicle I was supposed to obtain. The customer service representative tried to send an alert to locate the vehicle I reserved and nothing was heard.

He stated he doesn't know where the vehicle is which made me livid because I had plenty of things to do. While on the phone with the representative my wife noticed the "Honda Civic" license plate number "**" across the street in another parking lot with a flat and a spare tire. (Zipcar had a NONFUNCTIONAL vehicle on the market that could not be in use). I asked to speak to his manager and that made matters worse due to the fact that he insisted on canceling my reservation and returning my funds within 3 to 5 business days. I then asked where can I obtain another vehicle due to their discrepancy and he stated there was nothing he could do besides canceling my reservation and returning my funds because all vehicles were reserved in my location. As a Zipcar member I felt so disgusted and mostly certainty angry, so no I do not recommend becoming a member or a customer; I am canceling my membership.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I read a lot of very unsettling reviews of Zipcar *after* had already signed up for a yearlong membership. So I was very apprehensive about using the service. Since, Jan 2019, however, I have rented a car with them 8 times and I have had very positive experiences each time. The stories in reviews about dealing with customer service sounded nightmarish, but there were three times when I needed assistance that the people I spoke with were incredibly friendly and helpful. In two cases, they offered MORE help than I was anticipating. The wait to talk to someone was LONG, though.

Now, I live in a mid-sized city, and I have a feeling that in bigger cities, where the cars are being used a lot more and more people trash the cars, there may be just more chaos to deal with. I guess I'll find out, since I'm moving to a big city in about two weeks. But when my 20-year-old Honda Civic bought the farm, and I just did not have the funds to replace it, having this option was *very* welcome. I'm moving to a new job this fall that will triple my income, but for environmental reasons, I'm going to keep using Zipcar and public transportation. I hope my experience continues to be positive.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Okay, so I booked car June 25 2019 and picked up car July 13. When I booked car I paid at that time for 3 hours at the price of $10.50 a hour for a Volkswagen's Golf. I arrived 20 minutes early, the car had a few good size scratches which I took pictures and sent to Zipcar. Also car floor mats were very dirty and the brakes needed some work. So, I had car for 3 and a half hours, so I owed for a half hour which I was charged at their new rate of $16.50 an hour. Actually they re-charged me for the whole time at the new rate, I did car them and they refunded me the difference but only after I complained. So, prices going up 65 percent in 3 weeks is a little crazy!

Zipcar expert review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

• Best for: Those with cars in repair and those who don’t own cars.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information