2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.0/5 (576 ratings)

About Zipcar

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: July 28, 2021

This is a complaint about Zipcar's horrible application process. I applied for a Zipcar membership around June 30th 2021. I provided them with all the information and documentation they requested. After not having heard from them for several days, I contacted them.. 3 different times they asked for the exact same information (that I had already provided). They even asked me to provide a picture of me holding my driver's license.. which I did several times. Their telephone support is deeply useless.. a bunch of reps who have absolutely no power to do anything other than make excuses and repeatedly say "I'm sorry."

In frustration, I cancelled my membership application. Today I got an email from them saying my application had been rejected because "failure to meet eligibility requirements." This is a complete falsehood. I am an excellent driver.. never got a traffic violation.. never had an accident.. no criminal record. I have the means to pay for their services. In conclusion.. for me.. this rates as one of the the top three worst customer service experiences ever. I hope that Zipcar has competitors. Since I did not get the service for which I paid, I requested that Zipcar refund my application fee.. they refused.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I hold a Driver License from both New York State and my home country in France. Accordingly I meet the requirements for membership with Zipcar. (I've rented car with regular car rental company and never encountered an issue). Yet, Zipcar denied my application for membership and told me I could not reapply - even though they said I meet the requirement with my non-us driver license. I asked to cure the problem by resubmitting my non-us driver license and they refuse. More, they refused to issue a refund for the membership fees. This is nothing else than a consumer fraud and their customer service just awful. Stay away from this company, very dishonest company.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2021

I registered for the annual plan and called up customer service to change it to monthly. They didn't. I asked them to delete my account so I can recreate another, they didn't and instead put my first account under "pending review" status. I called them multiple times over 2 months and often complained about how poor their turnaround time was. The "customer service" has zero autonomy. They keep deferring my case to the escalation team and the escalation team does nothing.

After I complained one too many times, I got a response, quoted "It is not possible to have two accounts with the same information for security purposes. Since your other account under the e-mail of --- is under review, we are unable to offer you a membership. We know you may disagree, but please understand this decision is final and cannot be reversed. We hope you continue to seek out other means of alternate transportation in the future."

This makes me think that: 1. The agents don't know what's really going on and are too lazy to look. 2. The agents don't really care if their customer is having a harrowing experience. 3. Zipcar has too many customer and is earning large revenues to care about one customer. I mean, who is this customer agent making decisions on Zipcar's behalf? So go ahead and rent Zipcar but if you run into trouble with the car, please don't expect them to sort you out without a lot of haggle.

Original review: July 21, 2021

The entire experience was a nightmare from start to finish. Booked my car back in March. They changed the reservation twice before my trip on July 15th. I left from NJ to ATL and went to pick up my rental in College Park, we get there and the car won't open with the key card. I tried to go through the app and there was no reservation! But I had an email. It was after 11 pm so customer service was closed which is ridiculous. Customer service should be 24 hrs. We had to select the option for a police officer reporting an accident with one of their vehicles in order to speak to someone. Finally get through and they offer me a refund. What is a refund going to do for me for the next 5 days of me being stuck in a strange city with no transportation?!

They finally found me a car close to my Airbnb but at that point I wasn't going to be able to pick it up till the next day, the 16th. The idiot agent booked me all the way till the 21st even though I told him I didn't need the car that long. Smh. They did offer compensation for the Uber rides that I had to take because of the lack of transportation however.

They booked me with the exact same make and model of the car that wouldn't open. This car had physical damage that I did not immediately notice and did not have time to report and when I did the supervisor that we spoke with was highly unprofessional and tried to say that I would be liable for the damage for not reporting it as soon as I saw it. Had I not had to waste time getting another car in the first place I would have. Then he yelled at us, put us on hold for 20 min and then disconnected the line. I may have to go back to renting cars through my job. Smh.

Original review: July 17, 2021

#1: Awful customer service. #2: Impossible to find the prices as they are advertised, always more expensive. #3: Car was dirty and smelly. Experience: Rented a car for the first time--signed up for annual fee, which I was told could be refunded within 30 days. Car rental location changed the day before, super inconvenient. After the location switch-up, and a disgusting car, when I called within 30 days to cancel annual fee, I could only get partial refund because I used the service. Okay, but that never happened. Called again: "Once you use the service, we can't refund the annual fee." Nothing is as they say it is. Absolutely awful.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I wanted to try Zipcar to see how much I used a vehicle before purchasing. At first, the service is great and easy to use for quick trips. You don't have to worry about parking, gas, etc. However, the fees are OUTRAGEOUS for a weekend trip. I always ended up renting a car instead, which kind of defeated the purpose of Zipcar. Also, any time I would book for a full day, something went wrong. They'd cancel the vehicle on me with short notice and I'd have to go to a totally different spot to get a new car. They clearly don't like day trip usage.

Also if you get in an 'accident', just forget about it. I backed into a pole once, minor damage, did the responsible thing and reported it through the process. That was on May 25. I STILL do not have access to use Zipcar. They are STILL "investigating" and absolutely nobody could give me updates on anything. Ultimately I decided to lease my own car rather than deal with the hassle of Zipcar anymore. I'm sure I'll get a bill for some outrageous amount of money, for a cracked rear brake light. Do yourself a favor and if you are going to use it, do the most expensive insurance you can buy for every trip.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Do not take their service. They are not what they used to be before. Their customer service is useless and ineffective. They cancel your trips at random and do not give money back. I gave up after politely asking them for various customer problems for more than 2 months by phone and email. I can show you as proof. They just apologize but don't act on anything. Their business is sham and they just want your money but don't bother about giving service. Avoid them and be safe.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I love the concept of car sharing and the ease of which you can reserve and check out a Zipcar. Zipcar also has nice vehicles that are easy to drive. Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10 the cars are often dirty. If you call Zipcar, the support staff is friendly and helpful. But overall, they need to increase cleaning and maintenance of their vehicles. Additionally, the cars frequently do not have gas cards so if you're refilling the tank for the next customer be sure to use your debit card (I paid cash and they would not refund me, though I did scan my receipt and it showed the time of the filling which was during my rental period). Additionally, you often feel like you're racing the clock when you check out a Zipcar for a short errand. It's a useful service if you don't have a car, but there's lot of room for improvement.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I truly believe in the idea and mission of the shared economy. I wish that this concept of sharing items succeeds as it uses resources in many senses more wisely. The problem is us, the human being! Some of us just don’t seem to care about common goods. They treat shared cars/scooters/apartments not with the necessary respect (leaving trash, smoking, speeding, driving against traffic,… ). If we don’t improve our behavior the concept of the shared economy will eventually fail.

For the time being I think that companies like Zipcar need to pay more attention to things like cleanliness, safety-issues, and the general maintenance of their cars. Renting through Zipcar is not cheap, and if the rented item is not up to the promised I will reconsider my choice in the future and go back to old-fashioned car rentals from Hertz and the like.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I was deeply disappointed after I reinstated my membership following 2 years of a hiatus. After renting a car that was filthy (cigarette ash everywhere inside the car) and smelled like **, I reported the incident. The customer service rep on the phone was very sympathetic and given there was not another car available he offered to credit me the vehicle. Also worth noting the car was only filled half way with fuel and there was no gas card in the vehicle. After spending 25 minutes detailing the car myself I had to drive my family 2 hours in this vehicle.

The following days afterwards I found out I was charged for the vehicle 3 times. There clearly was a mistake. When I inquired I was told that I was given credit and had to pay one of the charges, over two hundred dollars. Despite explaining the promise I received that the car would be credited and pointing out the mistake the company made in over charging me they would not budge. They happily charged me and also did hesitate to cancel my membership when I shared my disappointment and intention to cancel my membership. It was so very unprofessional and saddened me to think that this company would not do the right thing but instead seemed okay losing a customer, and worse, over a mistake they made.

Zipcar author review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information