3.5/5 (1462 ratings)

About Zipcar

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

They choose to continue to bill even if I haven't used the product in 5 years. Overall unethical business practices and I would not recommend them to anyone. If the product was reasonable, perhaps I would have used it.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

Do not waste your time, and just use a traditional car rental company instead. This company has a great idea for a product and could have had a lifetime consumer. However, they've been nothing short of a nightmare to deal with. I successfully rented a car 8 months ago and on the FIRST rental had an issue where the car would not lock when I returned it. I called their help line and they told me to leave the car unlocked and they would look into it. At that point, I was not using the account enough, so I cancelled the subscription with plenty of notice before the next month's bill.

This month, I thought that I would give them a second chance because it sounded more convenient than picking up a car at an agency. However, their online system would not approve my license and did not tell me why. I independently searched their eligibility requirements, and I met the criteria because I paid on time, did not damage the car I rented, have not been in any accidents, and have a valid driver's license. So, I reached out to their help desk, which is when the bulk of the issues occurred.

I talked to five different people who all told me something different over a two week period. The first person told me to add my credit card information to my account. So I did, but their website simply did not work and would not allow me to click the "finish application button". Then I called their general help phone number. The representative was friendly but clearly wasn't trained to help with IT related issues. So he told me that the only way to activate my account was to send a pictures of all my personal documents (license, passport, etc.) OVER EMAIL and that this was the only way to reactivate my account.

I tried to say I did not feel comfortable sending this over email, but I eventually caved against my better judgement. Then I got an email back from a new customer service person saying the issue was that my account was locked so they had deleted my original account and needed me to create a completely new account and pay another fee. So I called a second time. Again, the representative was polite but clearly did not know how to help me and simply told me to go ahead and create a new account. I went ahead and tried to do so, but I was not approved again. So I called a third time and talked to another representative on the phone who said she did not know how to help. So, she referred me back to the specialized group that could only be contacted via email.

This time they sent me a generic email saying that my license was blocked due to either "delinquent on membership fees, closed for viability (late returns, violations, damages, etc.), failure to agree with the terms and agreements, or failure to pay the application fee. At this point, I am FUMING because I paid every bill from the original rental 8 months ago, did not damage their car, and it seems incredibly fishy that they conveniently told me this after two weeks and 3+ hours of filtering through their customer service groups. The only thing I can come up with is that the monthly fee didn't get charged correctly in the process of closing my original account or something went wrong with the car locking issue on the first rental, and neither of those were my fault.

-A middle class 25 year old who lives downtown without a car and has nearly perfect credit.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

Just make sure you never travel without the physical Zipcar. I was running errands, walk out of the store and all of a sudden the car is "offline," thus locked and I am unable to get in. I call customer service thinking they can unlock it remotely. They cannot. The guy said he was going to call Roadside Assistance, put me on hold and then ultimately hung up.

I had to take an Uber back to my house, pick up the card, and Uber back to the store. Meanwhile, I called customer service again and asked that at the minimum could they refund the cost of the trip? The response was that it needed to be escalated. Huh?? So the car goes offline, by no fault of mine, I'm standing outside in 30 degree weather waiting for this customer service guy like 30 mins for him to ultimately hang up the call. Customer service is TRASH. This service is unreliable and they really need to make some changes. Clearly I should have read the myriad one star reviews before signing up. I repeat, UTTER TRASH.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

I returned the car on time only to find that someone was in the designated spot. I stayed on the phone with agents for 20 mins trying to find another spot nearby only for Zipcar to charge me a late fee because I had then past the return time. They weren’t willing to overturn the fee.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

Borrowed a Toyota Corolla. Lots of damage on the exterior. Equal amount of damage on the interior. Worse of all, brakes made a super loud sound when applied. Felt like the brake pads were fully worn out. Really long braking distance. Shocking they would rent out a vehicle in this condition, putting customer's safety at risk. When contacted customer service, was bounced from one agent to another. Finally one agent said that a previous customer reported issue with the brakes before, but they still did not fix it. But allowed the vehicle to be in service. Shocking!!! Even a warning was on the dash that the vehicle requires maintenance. When I requested a refund, the rude lady said they don’t issue refunds. Garbage company.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

This company denies the application of African Americans. Apparently, we’re all broke and incapable of payment. Customer service was trash. Please avoid at all costs! Find another company to rent from.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

The 1 star goes for the service used so far. Please avoid it at all costs if you end up in disputable fines. The Zipcar violation service basically doesn't work. For the past three months, I have been waiting for a refund after providing proof that the fine has been cancelled. There is no transparency or form of getting in contact apart from e-mail. They might reply to the e-mail once but with no further follow-up. I will stop using the service forever. I would recommend you do the same. The other reviews attest my experience as well.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

They make you think if the fuel card doesn’t work or it is missing, you can easily fuel the car yourself and get reimbursed. But when you actually do it, you find out ***reimbursements are not that easy with Zipcar.*** I got a car the other day and it didn’t have any gas in it, so I had to refuel. I find a gas station, but ***the fuel card was missing*** so I just ***used my own credit card at the cashier*** since the fuel station just prompted “pay inside” and even after a few attempts with different cards didn’t work, so I paid inside and refueled the car. The next day, when I called them to get reimbursed, they say it is ***per-paid*** and they ***wouldn’t reimburse!!!*** That easy!!! I am really done with them!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

First, Zip does not alert you if a car is not in its assigned spot. When you drive to the spot where the app tells you the car is located, you'll have to call support and ask where the car is. Zip may modify your start time, but you are on the hook for returning the car to the assigned spot, then getting yourself back to the alternate spot where you left/parked your car. This sounds like a similar issue to the flat tires and other repairs being dumped on the customer mentioned by other posters here.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

I was interested in Zipcar after seeing cars were advertised for $10/hour. I signed up, paid the $25 application fee, and was ready to book. Then I realized there was not a single car that was actually $10/hour. At this point I did what I should have done before and looked through Zipcar's reviews, and to my disappointment, realized the company is flooded with negative reviews, reports on the Better Business Bureau, and even has one star on the Better Business Bureau's website. I contacted them to cancel my membership and refund my application fee.

I started with customer service within 12 hours, and they said they can cancel my membership but cannot refund the $25 application fee which they claim was used to obtain my driving record. I went on to speaking to a supervisor, who also did not refund the $25, and ultimately I contacted the CEO Tracey Zhen by email. Tracey ignored me and blocked my email (below is an image of the email I got notifying of the block).

For one, it does not cost $25 to obtain a driving record, and two, it demonstrated poorly on their company that they would not mitigate the matter considering the circumstances. The fact that they (including their CEO who refused to even give me the time of day to respond) were unwilling to mitigate the matter, especially when one of my concerns was their poor reviews, demonstrated to me that they are in fact a low quality company. Will not be using Zipcar and I hope the countless people who had to spend tons of money out-of-pocket due to Zipcar cars' issues without compensation take them to court. Awful company.

Zipcar author review by Lauren Fix

This ride share program is a smarter way to get around the city. Drive cars by the hour or day in neighborhoods, cities and airports across the globe. There are over 11,000 in their fleet.

• Benefits: Gas & insurance included. Save hundreds over car ownership.

• Car Choices: Choose from sedans, hybrids, vans and more.

• Cost: Membership starts as low as $7 per month.

• How it works: Download the app, join and get your Zipcard. Then reserve your car on the app, online or by phone for a couple hours or for the day. Go to your car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The door unlocks and then drive away.

• Locations: Major cities, airports and 300 university and college programs that are bases for expansion into individual and fleet membership in the surrounding city.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zipcar Company Information