3.4/5 (1217 ratings)

About Zipcar

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: June 28, 2022

Do not book with this company, their service is unacceptable and their protocols are mindless and not consumer-friendly. Rented a car for a whole day for important plans but upon pick-up it had a flat tire and no spare, customer service said that due to it being during my reservation time it is my responsibility to stay with the car until the roadside assistance arrives instead of simply offering me another car. The ETA of 45-minutes became 5 hours, still no calls or updates, and they threatened that if I leave the car in its parking spot to go home they'll charge me the full amount of the towing and service. They have offered no other alternatives and have not given me a refund for my booking or compensated me for the day I wasted. Do not use this company as they will not offer help and intimidate you for asking for basic services.

Original review: June 22, 2022

The car I rented on Memorial Day weekend had a bulge in the front tire and I was not going to take it on the highway to the bbq party I was attending! I waited on hold for customer service for half an hour and they asked me to use the app to find an alternate vehicle (obviously there were none given the holiday weekend) but they refused to refund me the $200 charge for the undrivable car!!!! To make matters worse, the customer service rep told me to take alternate transport and they would reimburse me, so I took an Uber for $140, thinking they would pay for it. Well now they are refusing to reimburse that as well!!! They are CHEATERS!!! Stay AWAY!!

Original review: June 12, 2022

I have been a Zipcar member for 15 years and the customer service and the condition of the cars are getting worse. On 5 separate occasions in the past 4 months, the car is not the designated location or it is filthy and smells of cigarette smoke. The wait to reach a customer service rep is getting longer and I know more about their process than the rep. I DO NOT RECOMMEND Zipcar unless you have no other mode of transportation.

Original review: May 26, 2022

Would have given zero stars if I could. They asked me to fill in my credit card details and were supposed to charge me only a monthly fee of $7.91 but I saw unfamiliar charges on my credit card without renting a vehicle. When I called, was told it was the application fee and they refused to reimburse me despite my telling them I wasn't informed about of these charges. A second time I called, the lady at customer service first promised to offer me a credit then said she had made a mistake and couldn't do that. Have never heard of something like this where a company would lie to a customer or go back on their word. I'm now afraid they'll sell my information because all they seem to care about is making a quick buck.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I rejoined Zipcar because I needed a car right away to attend a function. I decided to book the Zipcar for one day. I pick the Zipcar up and drove to and from the function, which a long of a drive. After the returning home from the function, I went to a local grocery store just minutes from my home and after that, I went straight home and didn't drive the Zipcar until the next day...the day I was scheduled to return the vehicle. That next day, I drove the Zipcar to a local gas station only minutes from my home. Even though the gas tank was between the 1/4 and 1/2 tank mark, I wanted to be courteous for the next driver scheduled to use the Zipcar after I turn it. After putting gas in the tank, I drove straight to the Zipcar location returning the Zipcar on time. I used my app to end the trip, which showed...what I thought was my final billing.

Later that day, it was on me to check my final billing again. My total charge went from approximately $155.00 (including damage and liability protection) to $491.50!!! Really? For only one day? I didn't drive the zipcar that far nor that much!!! The zipcar was just a plain/typical Toyota Corolla!!! I could've rented a luxury vehicle or an suv for 3 or 4 days for that much!!! The billing stated that I went over the mileage maximum of 180. I know good a well I was well within the mileage range AND DIDN'T GO OVER! THEY CHEATED...YES, I SAID CHEATED...ME OUT OF AN EXTRA $304.65!!!

I reached out and was on hold for about 45 minutes. I finally spoke with a Zipcar representative who was investigating and trying to see what was going on (or at least that what he told me). After all that, he couldn't help me. So, he transferred me to someone to better assist; however, I was place on hold for so long, I hung up. As I recall clearly, I was once a member of Zipcar a few years ago. I clearly remember driving Zipcars far more than what I did in this last trip.

Original review: May 11, 2022

When I first started using Zipcar, it was easy to overlook the occasional dirty car that smelled like weed or didn't drive properly. Beware – the more you use this service, the more you learn that cleanliness and professionalism are not the standard, but the exception. My last few rentals have been completely filthy, and customer service is not useful because you can expect to wait 30 minutes to an hour even if you are currently on a rental. If you have places to be and value your time, this way of doing business is unacceptable.

One of my rentals broke down completely on a trip out of the city, and customer support mentioned that I would have to wait next to the car for hours on end before they would even consider dispatching someone to help me. I was forced to make another car rental, and notified the company. They tried to strong-arm me to go through a set corporate process to check the car and its multiple components when it was clearly undrivable and unsafe to operate. I asked for roadside assistance and they were unwilling to provide it unless I returned to the vehicle to go through the process they outlined – on VACATION.

This is the worst customer experience I have had with any service company, and this is after making more than 15 rentals, some long-term, through their platform. I wish I had never started my membership with Zipcar in the first place. A yearly fee pays for nothing but access to a dirty fleet and customer support that makes you wish you were talking to a robot instead. I would give negative stars if I could, and I will happily be using any and all of their competitors in the future. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: May 10, 2022

ZipCar is unreasonable and awful. Be warned. I applied to the cost of £10 (about $12.50). Checked all the requirements. No tickets, no fines, safe driver, UK license since 2004. I was confident I'd get approved. After a few days I was told my application was turned down, they keep the money and - no - they do not have to tell me why my application was turned down. I asked them to reconsider, re-look at my application and I was confident a human would see I should be approved. A week later I was told via email my application would not be approved by the appropriate department and they were keeping the non-refundable application fee. They take the money, and give no reason. Because they say they can. Totally not right.

I complained on Twitter and they say the same thing: the appropriate department has already contacted me via email. If there was a problem with my application, the LEAST they could do would be to say what it is. Because I'm at a loss. But they don't, keep the money and think that's ok. It's not ok. And I can't think of any other term for it than 'thieving.' So it's only right to let you know about it. Beware of ZipCar. Untrustworthy from the start.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I am so frustrated and dissatisfied with Zipcar’s service and reliability. Since March 2022, I have used their service to get to school from Seattle to Bellevue once a week. Of the 6 times I needed mobility, only two worked without problems. Here is my experience: The cars were not in the assigned parking lot two times, even though I booked them one week in advance. Once, I was assigned to a different vehicle than the one I had booked previously without further information on the reasons. Additionally, it was almost out of gas.

Zipcar’s credit card did not work to buy gas another time. It took them almost 2 weeks to reimburse me. Furthermore, I needed to contact customer service on Facebook to have someone look at my claim. On another occasion, I could not end the ride because the vehicle wanted to be returned to its assigned location. I parked it in its designated parking lot. I tried numerous times to reach out to customer service via phone in all these weeks. Unfortunately, I never reached someone even after staying 30+ minutes on the line.

Via Facebook’s live chat, I was lucky to connect to one of Zipcar’s representatives. They tried to solve my requests quickly. However, I never had the feeling that they understood the challenges I faced with their mobile app and service. I wished they would have been more empathic and holistic in understanding the issues. To me, Zipcar’s service appears to be chaotic and unreliable currently.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Be careful with ZIP CAR that they take your $28.25 every time you apply. And it is NOT REFUNDABLE. AND THE FEE IS JUST FOR REVIEWING THE APPLICATION. (1) They only advertise their service when you become a member; there is not enough information or notices about reviewing your status if you will be qualified or not. (2) It is sole their decision whether you will be qualified to use the service or not. When you call and ask them about disqualification, they will keep saying your application review is just "rejected." (3) And it is NOT REFUNDABLE funds. Moreover, you will have to pay another $28.25 if you want to submit another application later.

*Problem is that there is not enough notice to the customer that there will be a risk with such a fee regarding disqualification. I wonder how many people had lost their money and contributed to this cheap company to survive. They shall not last long. Even Equifax does not charge for checking your credits. The way they collect money from people is a bit off from the proper approach. (If anyone is willing to get your money back, I will join you. Contact me.)

Original review: March 25, 2022

ZIPCAR IS THE WORST. I remember when it was a great company... But now, service is HORRIFIC, the software DOESN'T WORK, tech support is by email only (no more help by phone), and if you have a technical support issue, nobody gets back to you for WEEKS. The latest example: We had an incident in a car (scraped some paint). Zipcar SUSPENDED our membership and said we had to file an incident report. But the incident report system is BROKEN. After a week, a tech replied to my call for help by saying 'we're aware of the issue'. Meanwhile, I'm told the incident can take 2 months to resolve -- but only after I submit the report, which I can't submit because the website is broken. Meanwhile, all my family members have been removed from my account. We're kind of desperate now, and there's no help in sight...

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

Zipcar is the worst company ever. It’s always an issue and they never take responsibility and the customer service people is just as worst. It’s always the same people with the same attitude. Horrible!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I have been a Zipcar member in Toronto since 2014. This company has been going down the drain for the last three to four years. Customer Service waits are horrible - waiting for 45 minutes to speak to a person about a problem with a one hour rental - on a recent occasion. Rates increasing without notice; problems with the app.; cars that are booked that do not start when you arrive to pick them up. This last problem happens at least one out of every four rentals now. I can no longer rely on the cars to be in good working condition. When I report it, nothing changes. I am on hold right now to cancel my membership and am now 52:34 minutes in on hold. They have bilked me for long enough. Enterprise Carshare here I come.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I arrived at the garage to pick up the ZipCar, the staff at the garage kept saying the car was't working and insisted that I called ZipCar to change the car. I asked him what's wrong with the car but he refused to tell me, just kept saying that the car didn't work. He started helping other customers and ignored me. I called ZipCar and put on hold for 10min before I could talk to a representative. While I was waiting, I asked the staff if he could just switch the location instead of having me called because I had an appointment to go to. He said no and I had to talk to ZipCar. After he finished helping all other customers, he said he's going to check on the car. When I finally got on the line with a ZipCar representative, he brought the car out and said the car was actually working. Because I was in a hurry, I just hung up the phone. It was 20min late from my original pickup time.

I ended up extended my trip for 30min on the App to 4:30 pm. I returned to the garage, there's a line. I waited in line until a lady came over. She kept yelling and asked me to open the trunk. I didn't know how to. She walked around the car a few times then left. I waited in the car until a guy gestured that I could leave the car. I left the car and forgot the end the trip on the ZipCar app until 5 min later.

ZipCar charged me for the extra time and a $50 late fee. I called to explain the situation, the lady said I should've called ZipCar right away when situations happened, so they would refund me the time I lost while waiting to pick up the car. Well, it's my first time using the service. They refused to refund the $50 late fee. I didn't even bother to ask for the refund of the wasted time at pickup! Terrible customer service, unreliable pickup, a lot of fees and surcharges. Cars are super dirty!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

What a pathetic company. The customer service is horrible, they'll suspend your account without warning and they don't seem to care about quick resolutions. The cars are normally dirty and smell like weed. The cars are usually returned without gas so you'll have to spend time filling the tank. Other drivers are always late returning cars so you'll be waiting forever for your reservation.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

My credit card information was stolen using ZipCar's platform and Zipcar tried to process a $500+ charge on my card. I was able to work with my credit card company to block this charge and immediately deleted my zipcar account. A year later, Zipcar sends me a 'final notice' email that I would be reported to a credit agency for a $21 charge that was made to my account about a month ago. I feel like trying to rent from Zipcar was the biggest mistake I have ever made. Currently on the phone with their 1866 number so someone can put a stop to this nonsense. I'd advise folks to use any of the other car rental apps. This one has been a disaster for me - a one-time user.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I booked a car. I got to the spot and the car wasn't there. Couldn't speak to anyone at Zipcar so emailed. No response. Got a Gig (rival company). Three days later, no response. Saw on website I'd been fined for returning the car, which I'd never even seen, late. Emailed. Was told no refund as I returned the car late. Explained I didn't get the car. No refund... Finally an automated refund and no acknowledgment of their multiple errors and pathetic customer service.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

They have not responded with proper resolution for the past 90 days and as a result my driver's license was suspended. Totally ridiculous and pathetic customer support. I am even surprised they are still in business. These kind of businesses should be shut down by Federal Government for well being of its citizens.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

I signed up for Zip Car, paid their application fee, and was denied without reason. I'm 58 and have been driving since 16 yrs old. I have excellent credit and no driving infractions, yet I was denied.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I live in Philadelphia and joined Zipcar in early November 2021. I was approved November 11 by email and my credit card was charged $25. Throughout the ensuing 6 weeks, I called Zipcar (a call center in another country) 3 times asking about my membership card. Each time, I was put on hold for 5-10 minutes while someone investigated the matter. One time I was assured that it would be sent via UPS and I would receive an email with tracking information. It never happened. No one could ever explain why I never received my card or what their process was. I was told that my account had indeed been approved.

I finally cancelled my “membership,” today, December 23. At the end of the exchange I asked how I could contact their customer relations department to express my thoughts and was told me there was no such thing. I could only express my thoughts to the person to whom I was speaking who was actually a roadside assistance person who answered the phone because everyone else was extremely busy. This entire process indicated to me that Zipcar continued to be in a state of disarray as it clearly had been a year ago. I thought they had climbed out of it but I was obviously wrong.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

Zipcar really lie about everything in they review. They blocked my account after I booked a whole day trip with them. They don’t explain to me why my account was blocked they telling me to check the app. I find this very disrespectful and I feel like this is their way of scamming people's account after charging a $25 application fee. Then they say due to multiple logins on the account it’s being disabled which that’s a lie.I hate their service and I think this should stop being a business nobody can’t count on Zipcar for nothing. I’m upset!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

Signed up for Zipcar because of their advertisement saying I could use a car right away (link: https://support.zipcar.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025161813-What-To-Know-Before-Your-First-Trip). Was told I can't do so as I had a previous account (closed in 2016). To be clear: I paid for a new activation and the monthly fee (same as everyone else) but was told I couldn't have the same terms as everyone else. The Zipcar web site does not mention that the terms don't apply for everyone. I am really disappointed as a) I can't use a car I needed to, b) I spent hours on the phone just asking for fair terms-same as everyone-and they refused to help, and c) they refused to refund me the activation fee even though they didn't provide the service I signed up for.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

Advertised $75-90/day vehicles. After paying for an annual membership, which came to $77.18, I found the only available vehicles in my area were $140/day and up. This is vastly more than I could pay at a regular car rental agency, such as Enterprise, which is saying something since rental prices have gotten sky high lately. I’ve canceled my membership, with no apparent recourse for getting my money back. To top it off, I now see an additional charge to my credit card from Zipcar for $27.57! There aren’t enough expletives in all the languages of this Earth to describe what a shameless scam this is.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

I would leave 0 stars if I could. I got a parking violation, which was a mixup from the parking lot and got it cancelled right away. I sent all the documentation proof to Zipcar immediately and for a month and a half - and counting I called 10 times maybe and got 0 response, except that they have a queue. The supervisor of their customer support dept refused to take my call and I have filed a chargeback via my bank now. The worst customer experience of my life.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

Never do business with them. Worst company ever. Looters, falsifiers. They looted the money on the name of non-refundable application fees. All the documents requested were submitted as they says application approved in minutes. After 30 minutes they replied, "Sorry your application is rejected because you did not meet the eligibility criteria." Upon asking what documents do they need. I provided all. They are big liars. Never do business with them. They are just to loot your money.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

It was a nightmare from the start. Their cars are more expensive per hour than they advertise and there is a 25 dollar (hidden) activation fee so it is not just $7 a month. I ignored it and opened an account to rent a car to get me to a half marathon I was running and had been training for months. Looking back, I should have just had a friend drive me to an actual dealer. It would have been less "convenient" but would have saved me money and been much safer. The car was awful when I got in it. The driver-side floor was all torn up, there were smashed pretzels on the passenger side and the outside of the vehicle was all scratched up. I rationalized this in my head because it was a rideshare and still got in the vehicle.

I started driving on the freeway and noticed the window was difficult to see through so I tried to use the wipers to clean it but they had no fluid in them. It quickly became clear to me the car had not been brought into maintenance in a while. A few minutes out from where the race was going to start the check engine light, car maintenance light, and low tire pressure light had all come on. I called the company at 7:40 (20 minutes before the race was going to start) to let them know about the issues and that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. They told me I needed to drive it back to the location I picked it up from and get a new car for the rest of the trip... obviously, that wasn't going to work and I wouldn't have had time to make the race so I told them I would call them after.

Finished the race, got water, and called them back when I got back to the parking lot with the vehicle at 11:23 am. Retold them all the things that were wrong with the vehicle and they told me I needed to get in it and drive it back to the place I got it from - putting my safety at risk. Basically, they have said that because I didn't return the vehicle the first time I called it is all on me and they take no responsibility for not maintaining their vehicles.

This is a company that puts profit over people - and not just in small ways. Their cars are unsafe and they don't care if you end up in an accident or dead due to their lack of responsibility as a company. I would never want anyone to end up harmed because of this company's lack of regard for human safety and life. Do not use them - actual rental cars might be more difficult to get initially but at least they will offer roadside assistance and maintenance their cars often so you know you will be safe.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Absolutely horrible. Took a pit stop about ten minutes into the two hour trip and the car wouldn’t open after we tried to get back in. Customer service left us on hold for ages, couldn’t help, told us to stay with the car for 45 minutes to wait for a mechanic, and said that if we left they’d charge us an abandonment fee. I’m livid, this is a horrible business. Never using again.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I took a Zipcar to LA for an evening, on the way back the car would not start. I was on hold stranded in the city for two hours before they towed the car and I had to take a painfully expensive Lyft home at 3am. The communication through customer service was terrible even though I'm sure the employees tried their best.

While that was the worst instance, I've had only one successful trip with zipcar. Several times they cancelled the car at the very last minute without giving a reason why. Another time the gas card didn't work and I had to refuel the car out of pocket to avoid getting charged massive fees. There are so many other cheap car rental companies out there. Don't use zipcar if you don't have to.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Zipcar has given me the worst service I have ever seen. I was given cars that did not work, cars that were not there, cars that had no gas card or an ezpass. I spoke with representatives that were rude. And very very unprofessional. Now for all this inconvenience that zip car has given me. (Mind you. This has been going on all week.) I was given driving credits and switched to another car due to the previous cars not working or malfunctioning equipment. (i.e. gas cards and ezpasses.). Me as a customer I should not have to pay for the irresponsibilities of others.

Now the driving credits that were given to me as compensation for the very very difficult time I was given were taken and now zip car does not want to give them back and I have not used them. Zipcar expects people to pay out of pocket when gas cards or ezpasses go missing. But expect for people to pay full price and expect no issues when service like this is provided. This is unbelievable. They should be ashamed at how they treat they’re customers. I will be canceling my membership.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I have been a Zipcar business member for over 3 years, renting at least one a week for my work. The quality of the car got worst with time, they don't seem reliable anymore, not to mention that most of the time cars are not available at the scheduled time, asking to move to other locations and losing sometimes one or two hours. Overall I can not take this anymore and decided to not use this company anymore. We tried to talk over the phone and explain the problem but they seem just they don't care.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I would give NO STARS if that was an option. Joined Zipcar for all of 13 days. The number of non-refundable fees charged without notice or advisement on their website is unacceptable, especially for family accounts. Not a company I want to have access to my credit card info so they can freely charge whatever they want, whenever they want. DO NOT RECOMMEND joining this service. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Zipcar Company Information