3.4/5 (1194 ratings)

About Zipcar

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I was very polite and asked to speak with a manager regarding a concern. He told me "the manager said the same thing I told you." I asked again to speak with the manager and he hung up on me. His name is something like Alzoni. I only called them because it was last minute and I couldn't get a traditional rental but I'll have one on standby next time. No wonder I haven't used them since 2014.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

This company first of all, do not offer the services that they claim to offer. I signed up, they charged me for membership and all this other stuff, then I couldn't find a car in the area that they said they had available cars. THEN, after cancelling my membership and asking for my account to be deactivated, 2 months and many emails later they continue to charge my credit card every month for a membership that they confirmed was cancelled. Terrible customer service and they are thieves on top of it!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Deducted membership plan charges and was unable to use the service. Information on website and from customer service representative are 100% different. Please call and ask before jumping into Zipcar (in Kitchener, ON, Canada)

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I used Zipcar many years ago and they were always clean and well maintained. Not this time. I picked up my car, and it smelled really strongly of smoke. Additionally, the car was really dirty inside and outside. The AC did not work, and there was a notification on the dashboard: "Maintenance due now." This made me nervous, as I did not know what required maintenance. During my drive, it started raining and there was no washer fluid, so the windshield got very dirty, which was scary while I was driving. Throughout my two days driving the car kept stalling out at slow speeds.

When I called customer service, I was only offered a discount on my next rental, but not even a partial refund. Why would I want to rent another car in this condition?? There was no acknowledgment or apology offered. I paid so much for two days with a dirty and unsafe car. This is no way to run a company. I cancelled my membership. In all my years renting a car, I never received such poor service, or paid money for an inadequate car.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I called before applying to make sure I would be able to start driving when approved as a driver. Online there was conflicting info about this, so I called and was reassured over and over again that I would be able to start driving right when I was approved. I was told the Zipcar number would generate on my account right away. So I signed up, and paid the fee to find out that the reassurance I was given was wrong. I was able to cancel right away but they will not refund my $25 application fee for a product that I will never ever use. I am appalled and disgusted at the way this has been handled. Do not recommend Zipcar; try Turo instead!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I rented a car, which I confirmed could be unlocked by phone. I got to the pickup and was unable to unlock the car and Zipcar was unable to send it a signal. Two customers also left - one for the car not being available and another for similar unlocking issues. I spent 90 minutes on the phone with zip car finding me another car, which I told them my phone was international. I was constantly put on long holds on purpose, as no supervisor wants the liability of making an actual decision. Finally after being trekked to another location, and another 35 min on the call to unlock the car; I received an older car, with stains and cigarette smell. I decided to not take the car and now zip car after 60 minutes on hold tells me I should wait to see if a refund is approved. This is a joke. I would be embarrassed to be part of the leadership of this company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I was a Zipcar member for over 7 years when zipcar "migrated to a new platform" for NYC customers. Previously I was generally satisfied with the service and used it regularly. Then all hell broke loose and I was never able to rent a car again. The customer service has been horrendous. No one at ZipCar was able to explain what happened to my account or to fix it so that I could rent. I finally gave up and cancelled my membership. Fast forward 18 months. My circumstances changed and I tried to renew my membership. I was "approved" for membership but was still not able to rent a car. All the problems that existed before remain and the lack of customer service remained as well. For the last month I have been trying to get the money refunded that I paid for this non-service and even that is impossible. If you have not used ZipCar - spare yourself the annoyance and go elsewhere.

Original review: July 28, 2021

This is a complaint about Zipcar's horrible application process. I applied for a Zipcar membership around June 30th 2021. I provided them with all the information and documentation they requested. After not having heard from them for several days, I contacted them.. 3 different times they asked for the exact same information (that I had already provided). They even asked me to provide a picture of me holding my driver's license.. which I did several times. Their telephone support is deeply useless.. a bunch of reps who have absolutely no power to do anything other than make excuses and repeatedly say "I'm sorry."

In frustration, I cancelled my membership application. Today I got an email from them saying my application had been rejected because "failure to meet eligibility requirements." This is a complete falsehood. I am an excellent driver.. never got a traffic violation.. never had an accident.. no criminal record. I have the means to pay for their services. In conclusion.. for me.. this rates as one of the the top three worst customer service experiences ever. I hope that Zipcar has competitors. Since I did not get the service for which I paid, I requested that Zipcar refund my application fee.. they refused.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I hold a Driver License from both New York State and my home country in France. Accordingly I meet the requirements for membership with Zipcar. (I've rented car with regular car rental company and never encountered an issue). Yet, Zipcar denied my application for membership and told me I could not reapply - even though they said I meet the requirement with my non-us driver license. I asked to cure the problem by resubmitting my non-us driver license and they refuse. More, they refused to issue a refund for the membership fees. This is nothing else than a consumer fraud and their customer service just awful. Stay away from this company, very dishonest company.

Original review: July 27, 2021

I registered for the annual plan and called up customer service to change it to monthly. They didn't. I asked them to delete my account so I can recreate another, they didn't and instead put my first account under "pending review" status. I called them multiple times over 2 months and often complained about how poor their turnaround time was. The "customer service" has zero autonomy. They keep deferring my case to the escalation team and the escalation team does nothing.

After I complained one too many times, I got a response, quoted "It is not possible to have two accounts with the same information for security purposes. Since your other account under the e-mail of --- is under review, we are unable to offer you a membership. We know you may disagree, but please understand this decision is final and cannot be reversed. We hope you continue to seek out other means of alternate transportation in the future."

This makes me think that: 1. The agents don't know what's really going on and are too lazy to look. 2. The agents don't really care if their customer is having a harrowing experience. 3. Zipcar has too many customer and is earning large revenues to care about one customer. I mean, who is this customer agent making decisions on Zipcar's behalf? So go ahead and rent Zipcar but if you run into trouble with the car, please don't expect them to sort you out without a lot of haggle.

Original review: July 21, 2021

The entire experience was a nightmare from start to finish. Booked my car back in March. They changed the reservation twice before my trip on July 15th. I left from NJ to ATL and went to pick up my rental in College Park, we get there and the car won't open with the key card. I tried to go through the app and there was no reservation! But I had an email. It was after 11 pm so customer service was closed which is ridiculous. Customer service should be 24 hrs. We had to select the option for a police officer reporting an accident with one of their vehicles in order to speak to someone. Finally get through and they offer me a refund. What is a refund going to do for me for the next 5 days of me being stuck in a strange city with no transportation?!

They finally found me a car close to my Airbnb but at that point I wasn't going to be able to pick it up till the next day, the 16th. The idiot agent booked me all the way till the 21st even though I told him I didn't need the car that long. Smh. They did offer compensation for the Uber rides that I had to take because of the lack of transportation however.

They booked me with the exact same make and model of the car that wouldn't open. This car had physical damage that I did not immediately notice and did not have time to report and when I did the supervisor that we spoke with was highly unprofessional and tried to say that I would be liable for the damage for not reporting it as soon as I saw it. Had I not had to waste time getting another car in the first place I would have. Then he yelled at us, put us on hold for 20 min and then disconnected the line. I may have to go back to renting cars through my job. Smh.

Original review: July 17, 2021

#1: Awful customer service. #2: Impossible to find the prices as they are advertised, always more expensive. #3: Car was dirty and smelly. Experience: Rented a car for the first time--signed up for annual fee, which I was told could be refunded within 30 days. Car rental location changed the day before, super inconvenient. After the location switch-up, and a disgusting car, when I called within 30 days to cancel annual fee, I could only get partial refund because I used the service. Okay, but that never happened. Called again: "Once you use the service, we can't refund the annual fee." Nothing is as they say it is. Absolutely awful.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I wanted to try Zipcar to see how much I used a vehicle before purchasing. At first, the service is great and easy to use for quick trips. You don't have to worry about parking, gas, etc. However, the fees are OUTRAGEOUS for a weekend trip. I always ended up renting a car instead, which kind of defeated the purpose of Zipcar. Also, any time I would book for a full day, something went wrong. They'd cancel the vehicle on me with short notice and I'd have to go to a totally different spot to get a new car. They clearly don't like day trip usage.

Also if you get in an 'accident', just forget about it. I backed into a pole once, minor damage, did the responsible thing and reported it through the process. That was on May 25. I STILL do not have access to use Zipcar. They are STILL "investigating" and absolutely nobody could give me updates on anything. Ultimately I decided to lease my own car rather than deal with the hassle of Zipcar anymore. I'm sure I'll get a bill for some outrageous amount of money, for a cracked rear brake light. Do yourself a favor and if you are going to use it, do the most expensive insurance you can buy for every trip.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Do not take their service. They are not what they used to be before. Their customer service is useless and ineffective. They cancel your trips at random and do not give money back. I gave up after politely asking them for various customer problems for more than 2 months by phone and email. I can show you as proof. They just apologize but don't act on anything. Their business is sham and they just want your money but don't bother about giving service. Avoid them and be safe.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I love the concept of car sharing and the ease of which you can reserve and check out a Zipcar. Zipcar also has nice vehicles that are easy to drive. Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10 the cars are often dirty. If you call Zipcar, the support staff is friendly and helpful. But overall, they need to increase cleaning and maintenance of their vehicles. Additionally, the cars frequently do not have gas cards so if you're refilling the tank for the next customer be sure to use your debit card (I paid cash and they would not refund me, though I did scan my receipt and it showed the time of the filling which was during my rental period). Additionally, you often feel like you're racing the clock when you check out a Zipcar for a short errand. It's a useful service if you don't have a car, but there's lot of room for improvement.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I truly believe in the idea and mission of the shared economy. I wish that this concept of sharing items succeeds as it uses resources in many senses more wisely. The problem is us, the human being! Some of us just don’t seem to care about common goods. They treat shared cars/scooters/apartments not with the necessary respect (leaving trash, smoking, speeding, driving against traffic,… ). If we don’t improve our behavior the concept of the shared economy will eventually fail.

For the time being I think that companies like Zipcar need to pay more attention to things like cleanliness, safety-issues, and the general maintenance of their cars. Renting through Zipcar is not cheap, and if the rented item is not up to the promised I will reconsider my choice in the future and go back to old-fashioned car rentals from Hertz and the like.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I was deeply disappointed after I reinstated my membership following 2 years of a hiatus. After renting a car that was filthy (cigarette ash everywhere inside the car) and smelled like **, I reported the incident. The customer service rep on the phone was very sympathetic and given there was not another car available he offered to credit me the vehicle. Also worth noting the car was only filled half way with fuel and there was no gas card in the vehicle. After spending 25 minutes detailing the car myself I had to drive my family 2 hours in this vehicle.

The following days afterwards I found out I was charged for the vehicle 3 times. There clearly was a mistake. When I inquired I was told that I was given credit and had to pay one of the charges, over two hundred dollars. Despite explaining the promise I received that the car would be credited and pointing out the mistake the company made in over charging me they would not budge. They happily charged me and also did hesitate to cancel my membership when I shared my disappointment and intention to cancel my membership. It was so very unprofessional and saddened me to think that this company would not do the right thing but instead seemed okay losing a customer, and worse, over a mistake they made.

Original review: May 29, 2021

Terribly run business - always have issues. The cars often break down, and the company does not call you or email you ahead of your reservation time if there is an issue with your car. There have been 3-4 different instances when we have had issues. Most recently, we had a reservation for 11am and the car was still not returned by the prior user by 11:45am. Zipcar never contacted me. When I called, they rebooked us and the only option was over 20 minutes away. I asked the customer service representative to confirm that the car was there and ready to use and he confirmed. By the time we got there, the car would not unlock. We had to call back again.

The whole ordeal took us more than 2 hours and they could not offer us another car. So we were stranded and it ruined our weekend plans. What did Zipcar offer? A $20 credit toward a future trip. We will not be using them anymore and would strongly discourage anyone considering it. This is not the first time this has happened to us.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I love using Zipcar. It is so convenient to be able to just book the car on my phone when I need it and I can almost always find something available within a 10 minute walk for me (I live in a big city). One thing I don't love is that a lot of the cars I get into have "low tire pressure" warning and it's never clear to me if I should be messaging the app or if someone else has done that. It makes me wonder how often they check on their cars...

Original review: May 6, 2021

I’ve used the app multiple times and Zipcar has worked well until recently. The app has given me issues and cost me money because of it. The last 2 times I have not been able to extend a trip when I knew I needed the car longer. When entering the app I either did not have the button available to extend a trip or it said my trip was no longer in progress even though I had time left. The app lets you know when time slots are reserved. Both times, no reservations were booked after me. Paying an extra 30 minutes of time is fine and I have done it before. Because of the issues, I have been charged two $50 late fees. I have sent issues to Zipcar with no response. The lack of response is concerning. The $100 is ridiculous. I will probably use Getaround exclusively because of this.

Original review: May 3, 2021

We recently decided to sell our car as we live in a very urban area and thought we would join Zipcar to use a car when we needed to. We called their customer line and was told we have 22 cars in our area. So my husband joins = uploads his license and selfie as requested. Pay the $25 fee and decided to do the month to month membership. Zipcar website clearly states most people are approved in seconds and can go ahead and book a car. No, we ended up having to walk 3 miles to the airport to hire a car from a rental car place.

We have called Zipcar about 6 times in 2 days and each time we are told, "We will escalate your application up the line." Still waiting. We both have impeccable licenses with no restrictions ever. Now I am worried who actually has this information - we try and log on to the website and all it says is verify your zipcard. We don't have a zipcard. I spoke to a manager, Fred, this morning who was just unhelpful and said he was happy to refund the monthly fee - said no you can refund the $25 but he says this is a different company so I asked him to send me an email with this different company's email address so I can contact them direct - he says yes; but another lie from this company.

Their website is very misleading. Based on the reviews I have been reading this company should be put out of business and probably charged with fraud. If you have a driving license you can walk into a car rental and hire a car. If you have a driving license you should not have to be scrutinized. I am going to contact my credit card company and have this $25 cancelled. I do not like to be mislead. The last time I called this company another person there said it can take 5 to 6 days to be approved. Seriously do not join this company.

Original review: May 2, 2021

Fraudulent activity was noted on my account in January 2021 and my account was frozen. I have been trying to "unfreeze" my account since then (today is 5/2/21) with no success. I called Customer Service today and was told that it was still under review and that I would receive an email when the issue is resolved. I paid for a full year of Zipcar service in advance and now can't use it. I have NEVER had a more horrible experience than I have had with ZipCar. If I could give them a negative 500 stars, I would. Stay away from this company.

Original review: May 2, 2021

I put a cosmetic scratch on a Zipcar and reported it to them. They’ve frozen my account indefinitely as a result. I spoke with their insurance company, Sedgwick, and they confirm they’ve paid the claim. Yet, each time I call Zipcar, they simply say they’re still collecting paperwork about my case. I’ve written several emails and the reply is clearly a bot answer because it’s the exact same reply every time and doesn’t answer questions about my specific case. The lack of transparency is appalling. This is going on 3 months now and I’m now shopping to buy a car—quite the opposite of the company’s stated purpose. Two of my friends also ended their Zipcar memberships and bought cars due to lack of flexibility and availability of Zipcars. Zipcar is a great concept if all the stars align perfectly to enable you to use one.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I signed up for this service not fully understanding that you aren't immediately approved for a rental car. I was intending to use it on my vacation. Less than 24 hours later, I canceled and they still took my application fee. So I paid for nothing. Very disappointing.

Original review: April 21, 2021

1. I have to pay a $10 convention fee EACH TIME in the Boston area. If I rent a car for an hour, the total fee will go up to $24+! CRAZY!!

2. I called customer service within 30 minutes after I signed up for Zipcar. They can only refund the $7 membership fee but NO $25 APPLICATION FEE even though I only open my new account for 30 min!!

3. Customer service is unprofessional and sounds like she needs to sleep after hanging up my phone call!! :(

Original review: April 15, 2021

Everything was a hard to deal with and I ended up with extra charges because of it. I immediately closed my account but I just found out that they are still charging me membership even though I closed my account in disgust 6 months ago. Stay away from Zipcar.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I was repeatedly charged with fraudulent fees in excess of hundreds of dollars. The customer support DOES NOT respond to the open tickets. The customer service phone calls are repeatedly ignored. The business is simply abusive and fraudulent.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I try this company when they were new, they weren't ready yet, I decide to give them another try, it's even worse now, they charge me an application fee, did not even bother to send me a zip key/card, customer service is just non existent, I cancel as this just another headache waiting to happen, forget this company.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I have been an avid user of Zipcar, and I have to say they are SO convenient living in New York City - which is why despite the major inconveniences been thrown my way, I have still used them in a time crunch. (Even though quite honestly, you can get a rental car from Avis, etc for the same price and just have the car for 24 hours!!!!)

I have a separate experience that is still awaiting fixing that just happened 2 days ago, but the one that really sticks out before is: I had a doctor appointment in New Jersey that I had to be at by 8:00am that was scheduled 3 months in advance. I rented a Zipcar for this trip. When I got to the area the car was SUPPOSED to be in at 5:30am, it wasn't there. I called Zipcar, and they said it was in a different location. I then was taken to another Zipcar almost a mile away. Running to get to this next zipcar location (to ensure I could still leave before NYC traffic set in), THE NEXT CAR WAS NOT THERE EITHER!

Freaking out because I really needed to leave soon, they said there was a car around the block. I confirmed it did NOT need the actual zipcard car because I unlock with my phone, they said yes it doesn't need the card: just open via phone app. When I get there, it says that the car needs the card. I was livid at this point. The next Zipcar rep told me they could find me another car, another mile away.

I demanded to be refunded for this because I was running around the city, now almost 30 minutes later around Brooklyn trying to get to a car that could take me to New Jersey for this appointment I absolutely could not miss. This particular rep was so rude to me, kept telling me it's all they had, and they would not refund since they found me a car. When I said I am now running to these different cars and have a condition where I shouldn't be doing this right now (literally had a doc appt for this), he hung up on me. At this point, I remember screaming profanities loudly in the street and like classic New Yorkers do, they looked, observed, and went on their merry way.

I called now I believe was the 4th or 5th time. I was crying, terrified I would be late for this doctor appointment that I reserved 3 months ahead of time. This rep was much nicer. They got me a car and I ended up being 25 minutes late to the appointment and they still took me after I told them what happened. I say this story because, I have never, EVER EVER had customer service so terrible as Zipcar. If it weren't for that last rep who was a glimmer of hope for this company, I would have never rented from them again (and I just did 2 days ago and was involved in another horrible horrible incident which I won't go into detail now because I'm still processing it). Please rent from a different company. They really, really don't do what is best for you. I wish I knew who the higher ups were in this company so I could egg their own car or something. Convenience is great for locations, but if you can, rent elsewhere. ELSEWHERE.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

It had been several weeks since I reserved a Zipcar when none of my reservation attempts would go through. I called and they said my account was “under review” for “suspicious activity”. I can only guess that someone had broken into my account but I haven’t gotten any more detail than “suspicious activity” and keep in mind - Zipcar never contacted me about this before I called them. I was told it would be 3-5 days to review the accounts, but here we are six weeks later and they have done nothing to contact me or resolve the situation. And they keep charging me the monthly membership fee while I wait!

Zipcar Company Information