2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.2/5 (704 ratings)

About Zipcar

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: May 29, 2021

Terribly run business - always have issues. The cars often break down, and the company does not call you or email you ahead of your reservation time if there is an issue with your car. There have been 3-4 different instances when we have had issues. Most recently, we had a reservation for 11am and the car was still not returned by the prior user by 11:45am. Zipcar never contacted me. When I called, they rebooked us and the only option was over 20 minutes away. I asked the customer service representative to confirm that the car was there and ready to use and he confirmed. By the time we got there, the car would not unlock. We had to call back again.

The whole ordeal took us more than 2 hours and they could not offer us another car. So we were stranded and it ruined our weekend plans. What did Zipcar offer? A $20 credit toward a future trip. We will not be using them anymore and would strongly discourage anyone considering it. This is not the first time this has happened to us.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I love using Zipcar. It is so convenient to be able to just book the car on my phone when I need it and I can almost always find something available within a 10 minute walk for me (I live in a big city). One thing I don't love is that a lot of the cars I get into have "low tire pressure" warning and it's never clear to me if I should be messaging the app or if someone else has done that. It makes me wonder how often they check on their cars...

Original review: May 6, 2021

I’ve used the app multiple times and Zipcar has worked well until recently. The app has given me issues and cost me money because of it. The last 2 times I have not been able to extend a trip when I knew I needed the car longer. When entering the app I either did not have the button available to extend a trip or it said my trip was no longer in progress even though I had time left. The app lets you know when time slots are reserved. Both times, no reservations were booked after me. Paying an extra 30 minutes of time is fine and I have done it before. Because of the issues, I have been charged two $50 late fees. I have sent issues to Zipcar with no response. The lack of response is concerning. The $100 is ridiculous. I will probably use Getaround exclusively because of this.

Original review: May 3, 2021

We recently decided to sell our car as we live in a very urban area and thought we would join Zipcar to use a car when we needed to. We called their customer line and was told we have 22 cars in our area. So my husband joins = uploads his license and selfie as requested. Pay the $25 fee and decided to do the month to month membership. Zipcar website clearly states most people are approved in seconds and can go ahead and book a car. No, we ended up having to walk 3 miles to the airport to hire a car from a rental car place.

We have called Zipcar about 6 times in 2 days and each time we are told, "We will escalate your application up the line." Still waiting. We both have impeccable licenses with no restrictions ever. Now I am worried who actually has this information - we try and log on to the website and all it says is verify your zipcard. We don't have a zipcard. I spoke to a manager, Fred, this morning who was just unhelpful and said he was happy to refund the monthly fee - said no you can refund the $25 but he says this is a different company so I asked him to send me an email with this different company's email address so I can contact them direct - he says yes; but another lie from this company.

Their website is very misleading. Based on the reviews I have been reading this company should be put out of business and probably charged with fraud. If you have a driving license you can walk into a car rental and hire a car. If you have a driving license you should not have to be scrutinized. I am going to contact my credit card company and have this $25 cancelled. I do not like to be mislead. The last time I called this company another person there said it can take 5 to 6 days to be approved. Seriously do not join this company.

Original review: May 2, 2021

Fraudulent activity was noted on my account in January 2021 and my account was frozen. I have been trying to "unfreeze" my account since then (today is 5/2/21) with no success. I called Customer Service today and was told that it was still under review and that I would receive an email when the issue is resolved. I paid for a full year of Zipcar service in advance and now can't use it. I have NEVER had a more horrible experience than I have had with ZipCar. If I could give them a negative 500 stars, I would. Stay away from this company.

Original review: May 2, 2021

I put a cosmetic scratch on a Zipcar and reported it to them. They’ve frozen my account indefinitely as a result. I spoke with their insurance company, Sedgwick, and they confirm they’ve paid the claim. Yet, each time I call Zipcar, they simply say they’re still collecting paperwork about my case. I’ve written several emails and the reply is clearly a bot answer because it’s the exact same reply every time and doesn’t answer questions about my specific case. The lack of transparency is appalling. This is going on 3 months now and I’m now shopping to buy a car—quite the opposite of the company’s stated purpose. Two of my friends also ended their Zipcar memberships and bought cars due to lack of flexibility and availability of Zipcars. Zipcar is a great concept if all the stars align perfectly to enable you to use one.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I signed up for this service not fully understanding that you aren't immediately approved for a rental car. I was intending to use it on my vacation. Less than 24 hours later, I canceled and they still took my application fee. So I paid for nothing. Very disappointing.

Original review: April 21, 2021

1. I have to pay a $10 convention fee EACH TIME in the Boston area. If I rent a car for an hour, the total fee will go up to $24+! CRAZY!!

2. I called customer service within 30 minutes after I signed up for Zipcar. They can only refund the $7 membership fee but NO $25 APPLICATION FEE even though I only open my new account for 30 min!!

3. Customer service is unprofessional and sounds like she needs to sleep after hanging up my phone call!! :(

Original review: April 15, 2021

Everything was a hard to deal with and I ended up with extra charges because of it. I immediately closed my account but I just found out that they are still charging me membership even though I closed my account in disgust 6 months ago. Stay away from Zipcar.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I was repeatedly charged with fraudulent fees in excess of hundreds of dollars. The customer support DOES NOT respond to the open tickets. The customer service phone calls are repeatedly ignored. The business is simply abusive and fraudulent.

Zipcar Company Information