2. Travel
  3. Travel Agencies

El Segundo, CA

2.9/5 (116 ratings)

About YMT Vacations

We started in 1967 in Michigan as “Your Man Tours” arranging tours to Hawaii for Veterans of Foreign Wars. The “Your Man” was referenced to our Polynesian guides who greeted guests at the Honolulu airport with beautiful and fragrant flower leis. Our guides created a warm and engaging atmosphere as they introduced YMT guests to their beautiful island paradise.

YMT Vacations Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about YMT Vacations ?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about YMT Vacations?

Original review: May 30, 2019

On our first outing to Alaska with YMT we had 2 legs out of four where my wife and I were not sitting by each other on the aircraft but directly across the aisle from each other. We were able on one leg to get someone to switch seats but the second leg was a family not willing. We informed YMT on our second tour to Europe that they needed to make sure we sat together on the airlines. Not sure but the same thing happened on our 14 hr flight to Amsterdam, no seats together just across the aisle. This tour was booked 1 yr. in advance and there should be no reason for this mess up. The girl next to me said she had just booked her flight a month prior.

I called the airline in Europe to verify our seats with the airplane seating map and found that three of our four flights were screwed up and we were not by each other. I made the necessary changes myself and trust me we will not be traveling with YMT ever again. Secondly when we book our river cruise we were told it was a Viking ship but later found that was not the case. Way too much misinformation from YMT personnel and you can trust we will be finding another company to travel through with are hard earned $$$$.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I planned a second trip with YMT. The first trip was excellent. My recent planned trip was to the Rockies. After booking and paying early for everything, my doctor found out that I have a heart condition and need surgery ASAP. I tried to postpone my surgery but the doctor said I can't. So contacting YMT resulted in NOTHING. No refunds, no credits, no changes. You are screwed. $4,800 down the tubes. I found another couple that could take the trip, but that wasn't even an option. I tried to work with YMT for something, but they don't care. From all the information for travel insurance, the reviews are so bad, it makes it almost useless. The success for travel is to find a good company that really cares. YMT does not. Shame on you YMT for such bad service and you are a service oriented company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

The sales staff is quick to sell you a tour and get your deposit. Once they get your deposit and you read over the details of the trip you may decide to change your mind. If you change your mind they will charge you $100 per person to change the date of your trip or your travel plan. And if you decide to cancel your trip they will not give you a YMT letterhead document to submit to your insurance company to get reimbursement. So unless you want to lose your entire deposit you are forced to take a trip with them. We did not have a positive experience with this company and would not recommend them. Find a travel agency that cares about their customers.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My wife and I booked an Alaskan Tour and cruise with YMT in August 2018. We were very disappointed when we arrived in Anchorage to find that YMT had lodged us in a hotel (Crowne Pointe) which is several miles from downtown Anchorage and is located in a WAREHOUSE DISTRICT. Only restaurant within walking distance from the hotel was a Subway Shop. The tour into Denali was yet another disappointment. We were lodged in a hotel (Grizzly Bear) which was primarily a RV park. No fridge, microwave and ice machine was broken. Hotel also had no lounge or restaurant. YMT advised us that they were providing FOOD TRUCKS for us in the parking lot (dirt and gravel) located several hundred feet away from our room. Food trucks were at our own expense and offered Thai and Mexican food for dinner and breakfast... REALLY??? FOOD TRUCKS???

If that wasn't enough, a RAT fell out from under one of the food trucks! Needless to say... there was no dinner or breakfast eaten by us or several other folks in our group. A detailed letter was written to the YMT corporate office along with several follow-up phone calls. Absolutely NO response has been received from YMT after six weeks... only promises that we would be contacted by a supervisor named Samantha. When we called and tried to speak with "Samantha" she was always in a meeting or she was in-between other things. In conclusion, we found YMT to be unprofessional, unresponsive and evasive to customer concerns. Find another travel agency to book your tour with!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My husband and I traveled with YMT for the first time and had a wonderful time. Our tour leader, Collen and bus driver, Michael, were excellent in every way. Collen explained in detail about the day, showed videos of where and what we saw, was very organized, explained where different restaurant were, took care of any problems that arose, she just did a fantastic job. Our tour had 46 people from different parts of the United States. We had 2 different occasions with people in our group who could not withstand the high altitude and had to return home and she handled these occasions very professional. We would highly recommend this trip. Thanks again.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I just want to warn travelers using Your Man Tours that their 48-hour cancellation before the trip includes any kind of illness, even with a doctor's note and support. I recently had to cancel a trip to Hawaii due to severe illness the day before the trip and I got no refund even though we paid for the travel insurance and the flight insurance. I did not even get my baggage fee returned because it had all been booked through the travel company. Delta recommended not ever purchasing your airline tickets through the travel company because of this situation. The travel insurance was worthless. The itinerary looked great but this cancellation policy is not good.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I wanted to say that we have used YMT several times and each trip we took with them they did a good job. You can't beat the price and we got to see many sights on each trip we took. I am on a fixed income and I found the price of each trip affordable and the hotels we stayed at were nice, clean and service very good,

the guides that were assigned to our groups were very informative and nice personalities. I am looking forward to my next trip with YMT.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

A recent flyer from YMT was a reminder of our recent experiences on a YMT excursion on the MSC Magnifica from Copenhagen to Genoa. From our perspective, there was room for improvement on the part of YMT. More specifically: Language skills - At least 1 of the 3 YMT reps should have been fluent in Italian in order to avoid some of the missed communication while on board, i.e. Coordinated first day activities would have avoided the ship's lifeboat drills being held simultaneously with a required YMT orientation.

YMT would have known that the ships excursion-goers would be allowed off the ship first, thus avoiding: every excursion group boarding buses at the same time, going to the same places, wasting time in traffic instead of touring (Lisbon). Delays that kept disappointed YMT tourists from reaching the top of Gibraltar a much-anticipated highlight. Neither water nor coffee was negotiated as part of the food/beverage package provided. YMT reps English fluency was effective for England and Gibraltar: not Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, and Italy.

Preparation - The reps were not familiar with the ship or the cruise line. The reps were not familiar with the countries being visited culture, geography, customs, etc. Ideally, the reps would have known: transportation from the airport to the Copenhagen hotel would be difficult on a Friday because of the many taxi drivers did not work on their religious holiday. There was a national holiday being celebrated in Copenhagen on the day we were to board, snarling traffic and causing guides and buses to improvise substantially. The Hamburg tour was scheduled on a holiday. By law, bus drivers in some countries must have hour breaks a major impact on tour scheduling. Although the ship's daily newsletter reminded passengers of the several time changes, there was no temperature conversion chart, nor did the reps respond positively to a suggestion to post one.

Tours - Tours began only after a wait of to 1 hours after the posted meeting time. Stragglers were accommodated at the expense of the group's tour time. The lengthy wait to disembark at Gibraltar resulted in YMT tourists missing the deadline to go to the top of the Rock by 15 minutes: the ships tours enjoyed the once-in-a-lifetime views. Tour Guides - We had good guides in Copenhagen (bus #8)**, London, Amsterdam*, Gibraltar***, and Milan*. In our opinion, 5 out of 10 is not adequate for a tour of this scope.

In Sweden, the former teacher had us follow her from location to location for lectures. Friends on the ship's boat excursion learned Swedish drinking songs. Others had enough free time to explore the interesting waterfront. In Hamburg, the guide was unable to improvise (due to the holiday closures). We drove past many converted warehouses, caught only a glimpse of their famous opera house, and listened to commentary such as this is the end of the lake as we drove around the end of a lake. The highlight of the Hamburg tour was a young college student. He was personable, knowledgeable, and kept everyone informed and entertained during the long bus rides to/from the city.

In LaCoruna, the young guides seemed to run out of material, allowed much more time than necessary to visit a small shopping area off the main square, and did not know anything about the large public military gathering we witnessed. In Lisbon, the woman would not wait even pause when she crossed a street or entered a building that cut off the sound. She had us sit down in a church to tell us about it in front of signs that asked for silence. Later, when she led the group on a fast walk around the square, we said we were going back to the bus (which was still within sight). She then warned us that we would be on our own and it would be our fault if we missed the ship. Authoritative would be a nice word for her attitude.

In Barcelona, the bus circled and circled: we saw the same glimpses of the Gaudi church several times, but got no closer. The guide ran out of things to say. When asked about the many flags flying from balconies, her answers were evasive and vague. In our opinion, she missed an opportunity to educate visitors about Spanish history, culture, etc. At the least, all 3 YMT reps should have been fluent in at least 1 other European language, traveled to at least 2 of the countries visited, received an orientation from/with the Italian cruise line, been prepared to fill in the blanks for flummoxed native tour guides.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I decided to write this review because I almost didn't book the Hawaii tour with YMT Vacations because of some of the negative reviews I saw. My experience was very positive. The hotel in Oahu was a block away from the beach, the hotel staff very helpful and friendly, hotel room clean. The same was true of the other hotels except they were on the ocean. I won't say they were five-star hotels, but honestly for the $1,299 price for 12 days I would have been naive to think they would have been, but definitely 3-4 stars and no complaints. Didn't sign up for many optional tours because there were five of us so we rented cars and did our own thing. The YMT host was very helpful about places to go on our own. I would give YMT tours two thumbs up on the Hawaii vacation.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Due to death in family, cancelled trip. YMT lost first claim four weeks after submitted. Since then there has been weekly delays and excuses for not refunding our claim. Impossible to get action - lots of promises made and missed. What is integrity to this company - unacceptably low priority. Pass the word - don't trust YMT.

YMT Vacations Company Information