2. Travel

Las Vegas, NV

2.3/5 (59 ratings)

About Vacation Internationale

Vacation Internationale Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vacation Internationale?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vacation Internationale?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

First, I see a lot of complaints about the sales process - yes it is sometimes frustrating, and sometimes the sales folks are not as honest as I would like - but hey you were the one wanting free stuff... So buyer beware and don't let them push you into anything. Never fall for the "...you have to buy today to get this deal" trick - there is always another deal another day. But remember the sales process does not really have much to do with the resort experience.

We have about 3 weeks worth of points (almost all bought on the resale market and then transferred in when Pacific Shores went belly up) and we have found VI resorts timeshare program to be excellent. Their resorts range in quality from middling to good and the value is always excellent. If you are content to work within their system, and you get up to the platinum level of their prestige program, the value can't be beat.

When we used to be RCI members - it seemed like we were always paying too many extra fees - A typical holiday might cost $300-600 to book (RCI membership, transfer points, extend points, high booking fees etc.) so we quit that entirely. Now at VI we pay $20 for each booking - that's it. If there is a change, they are usually very keen to make things work. If you cancel more than 30 days out, you get your points back (or 24 hours if you choose to pay for last minute cancelation insurance). If you have another timeshare that you don't want to use one year, you can deposit it and get a fair return in points. Been a VI owner for about 10 years and very happy with the product value and service.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I have been a member of VI since 1980 (purchased in Puerto Vallarta). I have always enjoyed using it, units reliably clean and in excellent condition, problems addressed immediately. I like the way the point system works, but it is true that the most popular resorts must be booked a year in advance (Puerto Vallarta, Leavenworth, Ocean Shores and some of the Hawaii locations). It is absolutely NOT true that the more points you have the more benefits you get. The only way to get to reserve more than a year out is to pay to get on an advanced reservation list. We do have the ability to “bank” points for three years, and after that they are gone.

There is a legitimate third-party (Anderson, retired gentleman’s hobby) site that is free that sends a newsletter out listing points for sale and usually needs odds and ends that are unused for other people who don’t quite have enough. Think family reunion. In my years of experience, both the resort staff and VI phone staff are wonderful, courteous and respectful. Part of my enjoyment is seeing the same staff at the resorts time after time. Management finally put restrictions in place to keep other other timeshares (Diamond, etc.) from claiming all of our locations were in their system and disallowing block advance reservations. I feel like we have our timeshare back, to some extent.

Virtually all of the negative reviews are from people who thought they could get something for nothing, then when the third party sales people did not provide all that was promised and were rude, they blame VI. The reason they can’t tell you what company they are calling from is that they are calling for so many different ones. We do not have a property in Cabo, or several others that were mentioned. Additionally, the owners own all of the properties in trust. When another company TRIED to take us over and stole lots of Torres Mazatlan property, it cost us quite a bit to get it all back.

We now no longer farm out to another management company and strictly keep it under our control. Part of the reason it is hard to get into some of our original resorts is that we have bailed out so many small failing timeshares to keep them out of bankruptcy. Consequently, we have lots more run down properties, or otherwise not prime, with many more members. Additionally, management has finally put restrictions in place to stop other timeshares (Diamond, etc.) from claiming our properties as part of their inventory.

They also stopped “block” advance reservations from these same companies. So, please do not blame VI for scammers using our name to get you in to these horrible time-wasting presentations. Not that I want more members - I just take it personally to see all these negative reviews from mostly people that have never used the program, whereas you will note that nearly all of us owners give VI 5 stars.

Resolution response: Oct. 11, 2019

VI has contacted me and we have come to a mutually agreed resolution.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Signed up at the Portland RV show for a free trip, was told it we would have to watch a presentation by VI, in Vancouver Washington. I told the person overseeing the drawing I had seen a presentation before, he assured me that if it has been over a year, I could see another one and get a trip. It had been a year so I signed up. I was contacted and told I was a "winner" and made an appt to see the presentation and would need to bring my significant other.

I went with my boyfriend, was chastised for being at a presentation before, by an older man, Jerry, who then told me because I was not married to my boyfriend who attended with me, I needed to pull up my bank account on my phone to prove I could purchase something. I refused and was very angry, several other salespeople apologized and one asked me not to give a bad review with his name, "He is just old and can be inappropriate". I did not purchase anything and left with a certificate for the trip. I filled out the certificate, mailed it in as required, was contacted by Casablanca Resorts by mail: to schedule the trip I had won (at the Embarcadero Resort, Newport Oregon) was told it would be 3-4 months later in Sept before they would have availability to schedule.

I made the reservation for 9/22/2019-9/24/2019. I took time off work, my boyfriend took time off work. Two days ahead I called the Embarcadero about the reservation, they had nothing and told me to call Vacation International at 541-574-7743, they did not have the reservation. The person I talked to, Sherry, stated that the certificate says Casablanca Express so this is not Vacation Internationals problem, would not give me the next person in charge name or number, who she said was the GM, and that they were out for the weekend anyway. When I insisted someone had to be available for members, she then said she would have the GM call me back, she called back instead and said there was nothing she could do, I would have to address this with Corporate, 9/23/19.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I have been a VI member since 2010 and have been so satisfied with the various accommodations throughout the US that I just extended my membership to a lifetime so we can pass it in to our kids. The accommodations are always as expected and we even stayed at a VI resort in Kona when we get married in 2015. The services I receive from VI (points that equal weeks of visits, transfers with other timeshare companies) are EXACTLY what was promised during my initial session so I am surprised by the negative reviews!! It’s important to read all the fine print but VI has lived up to my expectations for nearly a decade now with no glitches.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

They just called me today a year after last year's Seafair weekend to tell me I won a vacation for two to my choice of either Cabo or Honolulu. They wanted me to answer questions over the phone and refused to send an email from their organization so that I could verify the legitimacy of their company. I let the rep know that I'm not interested in a company that is unable to provide evidence that they are legitimate by sending an email from their company domain and only uses phone contact. The rep said this is probably not the offer for me and hung up.

Original review: July 15, 2019

When I received my annual assessment for my timeshare, I noticed an additional charge of $24.50. I called Vacation Internationale and was told it was a tax. However, instead of billing the people who used my timeshare, I was charged the amount which is totally unfair. I was given nothing but a run around with VI and told them that I never was charged a tax before in renting out a timeshare. I'm paid nothing for giving it to an exchange company and was not warned ahead that there would be a tax. VI kept saying that I was responsible for the tax and would not work with me at all. VACATION INTERNATIONALE IS NOTHING BUT A RIP OFF TIMESHARE AND LIE TO NEW PROSPECTIVE CUSTOMERS TO JOIN. Do not have anything to do with this timeshare company!!!!

Original review: July 7, 2019

My late husband and I purchased our first 2 weeks (182 points) ownership in VI while we were living in Oregon... and spent most of the early years going to SunRiver and various locations in Hawaii. About 5 years into our ownership; VI “rolled back” the prices and we purchased another week (91 points). Over the years, I’ve used other properties (some using the Instant Exchange) in Oregon, Colorado, Arizona, Texas, New Hampshire, Virginia, Florida, and New Zealand.

One of the best perks of VI is that if one learns how to “work” the system; plan ahead; make reservations well in advance...you can generally get your location when you want. AND you’re not locked into the same location, weeks, property, unit size as most all the other timeshare companies sell. The units are always renovated and kept clean; the grounds impeccably maintained; and onsite staff helpful and friendly. Maintenance costs over the years have increased to be sure; but where else can one stay in resort locations, in comfortable accommodations (not luxurious if that’s what your budget allows), at more that reasonable daily rates?! I’m sold on the program and have been since we first made our purchase. As I’m currently in my mid 70’s; my traveling days are going to be winding down about the time my contract runs out. It’s been a great experience and I have many happy memories that revolve around my VI vacations!

Original review: May 5, 2019

Scammer. Told us that we won a vacation, but only tried to get $30000 from us and “free vacation” turned into ** and not free at all. Waste of time, waste of money, waste of energy and waste of life. After getting a free certificate felt dirty and gnarly. Worst experience ever.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

As owners since 1977 we have never had a bad experience at any VI Resort. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Properties are clean and comfortable. Website is super user friendly. Locations are desirable. We have always felt safe when in another country. All in all a win for us.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

VI Resorts. We bought a 105 points Every other year... We have not been able to use our points. Now they say if we don't use our points they will take them away. This is what we were told and found out. Vacation Internationale told us we would get a free trip for 4 to Disneyland. The free trip to Disneyland isn’t free. It cost us $100.00 and then they told us we had to pick 3 different dates and they would let us know with little advance notice the date they had chosen. This makes it difficult for me to get off work and the boys out of school on such short notice. Matt told us we could go when we wanted. I travel for work which, we told Matt and don’t always know when I can take a vacation. My wife told the boys we were going to Disneyland and so not to disappoint them we had to pay $2,700.00 out of her 401 k to pay for our trip. There is no free trip. Had to pay and could not use and never got our money back.

Matt told us we could get a 2 BDR which slept 6 People on Oahu for 4 nights with our 52 points a year. The nights are 20 points a night, that’s only 2 nights a year. There’s no 2 BDR on Oahu. And on the other islands if you get a 2 BDR you have to book 7 nights according to the booklet they gave us. Matt told us if we couldn’t use our timeshare they would sell it for us. My wife called a year later and was told no one wanted to buy our timeshare. So you sold us something no one wants. We can’t use it. We don’t own anything. It’s worthless.

According to the booklet VI has no places in Alaska, San Francisco. and other places we were told they have. If we go to Sedona, AZ would cost 18 points a night. Which is only 3 nights year. We tried to get a place at Whitefish, MT for a year and no rooms available, had to rent a motel 17 miles away on Expedia. When my wife called to complain they told her they could get us a room at White Fish in the winter? I'm not water skiing in the winter. WOW. We tried Leavenworth, WA. Must book over a year in advance. According to the lady at the Blackbird Inn. In Leavenworth. We had to rent a motel there. Last year we took 3 vacations. Had to use Expedia. No places available or VI had no place we wanted to go. Matt also told us we could get airfare for ½ price through VI Resorts. Don't think so. VI has no place by Disneyland nor on the strip in Vegas.

We talk to an Attorney who gets people out of timeshares. He explained that this is fraud. VI don’t own all the buildings and the ones you do own They rent out. This way there’s no openings for the owners. This was not explained to us. Nor is it written in our contract. Also he said the renters don't pay Maintenance fees. But the shareholders do. Even if we can't use our points. So we are paying for their maintenance fees. He said this is fraud. He told us much more. But that’s for later. Except they want thousands of dollars to get us out of our timeshare. Which he said they would do.

OUR Contract is for 105 EOY or for 52 points a year. For 12yrs, at $ 7,734.00 with 1,160 down. Financing $6573.90 at 16% = $12,413.25 for the timeshare package plus Mnt fees of $850.00 EOY for 6 years = $5,100.00 for a total of $17,513.25. In Hawaii. We would only get 2 days in other places, 3 in some areas, 4 days a years. With an average of 20 points per night. 3 days per yr on average. For 12 yrs = 36 nights... 36 nights divided by $17,513.00 = $486.00 per night. VI has no place in Oahu for 6 people. Expedia is $375.00 for 6 people per night. At 2 nights yr, $729.00 per night. Matt showed us it was only a couple of hundred dollars. A night for 6 people. San Fran $190.00 per night Expedia. VI has nothing in San Francisco. If they did it would cost us $486.00 per night. VI has no place in Alaska. Expedia would be $90.00 to $200.00... If VIP had any it would cost about $400.00… Nothing we were told is real.

VI resorts has no places anywhere we want to go at all. Matt told us they did. We told Matt I traveled for work and didn't always know where I would be or when I could take a vacation. Matt told us that was no problem because they owned these big resorts... Apparently not... This is the worst investment of our lives. MY opinion it's a SHAM... Don't do it. There is nothing in my contract that says they can take away my points, but they are going to... How is this right. Some who is not a shareholder is in my room and I'm paying for it too. That's double billing.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I am here on my third Hawaiian post-Christmas prime-week-of-the-year vacation. Currently, we can only take vacation on school breaks. VI makes that accessible and affordable. We have stayed at units at 5 different VI and Diamond resorts on Kauai and Maui. All nicely furnished, in great locations, with everything you need. Yes, I have booked a year or nearly a year ahead. In the one case where I wasn't able to get a booking right away, I was able to book later after using the waitlist. The Points Protection Option makes for inexpensive cancellation insurance, and allows adjustments to your booking. Every staff member I have dealt with in person and on the phone has been friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

A couple weeks ago I did a girl's trip to Las Vegas for my 40th birthday. My cousin and I were approached by a man trying to convince us to come to a presentation at the Carriage House which was next to the hotel we were staying in. We were promised several gifts in return for 90 minutes of our time for a presentation. We were told we would receive 5 tickets to a show since there were 5 of us, a food voucher, $200 slot credit, $50 gift card, 2 night free stay and airfare for the both of us for a trip back to Vegas for a later date.

We attended the presentation. At first this were ok. The young lady who was with us was pleasant and not pushy. We were told that everyone who attends their presentation is always treated with respect regardless to if we sign up or not. We saw a demo room in the Carriage House and we were very unimpressed. The room put us in the mind of a motel and not a luxury vacation home. With that we were very turned off. My cousin said she had to decline and that she had checked out. An account person came over and didn't take her saying she was out. He continued to push and once he saw she wasn't changing her mind, he became very rude and dismissive. After this we were both very turned off and knew the was no way either of us would ever purchase with VI Resorts.

They gave us our "gifts" and it was not what was promised AT ALL! We received various free show tickets but there was not 5 of the same show ticket in anything they have us. We only received $100 in the slot credit and it was for a casino that none of us had ever heard of or seen. We also did not receive the food voucher. Instead, we received a discount card for a limited amount of restaurants. We did get a card for a 2 night stay at the Plaza Hotel and Casino. However, it was not free. We would have to travel Someday through Thursday or have to pay a surcharge and we would also have to pay a $25 reservation fee. The was no airfare included at all in the "gifts". The only thing we did get as expected was the $50 gift card. This was a complete waste of our time! Just based on my presentation experience, I would not recommend VI Resorts-Vacation Internationale to anyone.

Vacation Internationale Company Information