2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5
Based on 1,749 ratings submitted in the last year

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

My flight got delayed coming into my hometown and this would cause me to miss my connection. Called on phone on Christmas Day. Agent was respectful and helpful, immediately asked me how I'd like to handle. Asked if I could rebook tomorrow. Very quickly got me rebooked onto flight tomorrow in aisle seats as desired. Good experience and helpful.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I hope this feedback will allow United Airlines to improve their customer service. I have been a customer with United for over 20 years. I am have had 1k status for several years and am a million mile traveler with the airlines. On 12/18/17, I called to switch my flight to a later time on the same day I was scheduled to travel. The person who helped me over the phone seems a little inexperienced (working on the 1k customer service line-really?), but was able to switch my flight. What I did not realize was the way she did it was the cancel my return flight. I found out that my return was cancelled by checking the app on my phone a few days later to see if I could switch to a better seat on my return flight. My flight no longer appeared on the app.

When I called to ask United what was going on here is what happened. First off, the 1k phone line did not take me to a 1k service desk, but just the regular customer service. How is that a perk? The agent who helped me was clearly working at an overseas call center, which would be fine technically, but they rarely understand when a topic goes off script. The person who helped me did not disclose that for 45 minutes most of which time I was on hold. When recounting the facts of my issue back to me as a recap to take to her supervisor, the agent accused me of canceling the flight, which I did not. Then after that long hold time, I was transferred to the 1k desk where I was told the person needed to discuss with a supervisor. Isn't that what the first person was doing?

The agent came back and told me in a roundabout way that to get myself back on the originally scheduled flight that I would need to pay $229. I let me know this was unacceptable and that I would wait on the phone until they resolved it another way. After a few back and forths to her supervisor, I finally got my ticket reinstated. 1 hour and 20 some odd minutes later for a mistake by United that they were trying to pass onto a loyal customer. This is horrible customer service. It is the holidays and if I did not check one a whim to see if I could get a better seat, I would have been scrambling the night before the flight during this busy holiday season. What a horrible experience!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Yesterday Dec.19/2017 my mother - in- law flew from Great Fall, Montana to Hartford, Connecticut. (Itinerary # **) Flight 4679 stopping in Denver, Co for an hour layover. I requested assistance at the gate with a wheelchair and to bring her to the right gate to make the connection to Hartford, Connecticut. The person who help her brought her to the wrong gate so, she miss her flight and she got into a panic and went to stroke. After This BIG mistake of one of United Airlines employee, my husband and I had to flight to Denver. She lost her purse, the good thing is they called us to letting us know they found it, but we haven’t heard about her carry on.

After my husband spoke with so many managers from United with no solution of reimbursement because no one has an answer to the passengers. I see myself obligated to see my lawyer because she needs a money back for her ticket from Denver to Hartford and from Hartford to Great Fall, Montana. And also United needs to find her carry on. All her medication for her are in it. My husband and I tickets to Denver one way for our flight of today at 7:00 in the morning. So, Please, can you please tell me what do I need to do? Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Hello, I hope this experience help to improve customer service. As a loyal member of United Airlines I am confused and upset about how your staff deal with some issues. My flight was schedule to depart on December 17, 2017 at 7:45 pm from IAH to GPT. While I was waiting at the gate it was announced that the flight was delayed by 14 hours. I was told to talked to a customer service representative which I did and he explained they were not offering any hotel vouchers. He gave me a paper stating I can get a discount by calling a toll free number. He also offered me to fly to New Orleans that same night which I clearly refused due to being new to the area and I was intended to go to Gulfport airport. He then told me the flight to Gulfport was schedule to depart at 9 am next day.

I paid my hotel out of pocket and spent the night in Houston. I showed up at the airport at 7:45 am expecting to take the UA 4109 flight which to my surprise I was not longer on the system. The representative helping me continuously said I missed my flight to New Orleans which was never the plan. She said I "voluntarily" agreed to change my flight to another route which I never agreed. I had to argue with her until I talked to her supervisor. She stated the same thing: I "voluntarily" changed my flight to New Orleans and I missed my flight.

I ended up begging to get on the plane to Gulfport and I was blame by that incident, I was not offered any apologies, I had to pay out of pocket my hotel and I was blame by the incident. While, I understand how stressful is to work in customer service I explained I had proof I never intended to fly to MSY. I did have my original boarding passes to GPT with the new departure time handwritten by the first agent, I paid hotel expenses out of pocket and I showed up at the time for the original flight but basically I was still blame for the whole situation. This incident was awful and clearly damage the reputation of United Airlines.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Don’t really care about customers. A caring airline will not leave its passengers stranded in a stranger city, making connections, when United flights mess up on schedules. EWR, which is a hub for @United has no transit hotels for its customers who missed connections.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I’m writing this while I’m on the plane. Seriously there’s a major customer service issue with United. I booked 6 months ago. Yes 6 MONTHS ago. Logic states if you book first you should get priority group and seating. The flight from San Diego to OGG (Maui) was not an issue and I got to sit next to my family. On the way back, the United lady was rude about our carry on bags. I mentioned we never had an issue coming here with them. And she insisted we had to check them in. Then I realized my seating was all jacked up. I’m 4 rows behind my family. For 7 hours I’ll be stuck and can’t communicate with them. YOU seriously suck at customer service United and the other bad reviews on here prove it. You’ll be hearing from my attorney.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

United announced that they are converting the Newark United Club at Terminal C near Gate 120 into a United Polaris lounge. This is a terrible decision for the traveling public and business. In their e-mail to United Club customers, I for one of which pay a hefty yearly fee, they say that while other clubs at the airport will be open they will be full. Taking away this previously very important benefit is another example of United's greed and corporate greed in general as we move to a society where the rich get more and the middle class less. And they still expect club members to pay the same fee! And they have the gall to say at the beginning of their e-mail "Your travel experience is important to us." I have complained to United and if you have a similar situation then write here and to them! Let's not let them get away with it!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

On December 6th, 2017, I made a mistake booking the United Airlines flight for the May 14th, 2018, five months away. I was supposed to book the United Airlines 7:40 am flight, but when I was looking at the United Airlines seat maps in different flights, I booked the United Airlines 12:15 pm flight by mistake. I did not realize the mistake until Friday night when I got home and read the United Airlines confirmation email.

I called into United Airlines first thing Monday morning on the 11th, and sure enough, I was talking to someone with a foreign accent. The United Airlines agent continues to cite that per legal contract, she cannot do anything and had to charge me $300. I know I am outside the 24-hour refund window, but the flight is five months away, and the entire plane is still empty. Nope, she insists on charging me the change fee before she can switch my flight from 12:15 pm to 7:40 am. To make the matter worse, I was responsible for four people’s booking, so I got penalized for $75 times 4, total $300.

The agent suggested that I may contact the United Airlines refund department to request a refund. I did, and all I got is a heartless, robotic response from United Airlines “We're unable to waive or refund any fees for you. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.” And I cannot even reply to the email – “this email address does not accept inbound messages.” What a joke! No more, I will not fly United Airlines anymore. My recommendation to all travelers out there - don’t support the heartless and greedy airlines like United Airlines. All United does is to recite their legal contract and charge you endless fees - no heart, no sympathy! I am sure everyone saw the video already.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I had an emergency change of flight due to my father dying. I was traveling from Houston International Airport to San Jose California, my previous flight was less than a week later because of my father's state. I had to rush my flight but disgusting companies like United I was charged for a domestic flight over 1,400 for a trip that was out of my control. Shame on you United preying on people's misfortune.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Flew back east from the Oregon coast X2 - their flights were good, most of the time the airline attendant was good, kind & helpful. One or two were less friendly but still did their job well. Liked United Airlines better than the American flight I had to take for one leg of my flights. United loaded passenger in a much more efficient manner while American seemed slow & cumbersome!! Much better extras with United - their internet & entertainment was much better.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I missed my flight on the 25th @ 7 pm so the people at the airport booked me for another flight @ 7 am on the 26th. I knew that I couldn’t make that flight because my husband had to go to work & he works on base, that is a little over an hour away from the airport. So my husband called the customer support line to figure out a new flight I could get. They initially told me that there would be a $75 change fee & the difference in airfare. The woman on the phone said that if we got to the airport & I missed the flight they would find me a new flight free of charge. So it makes no sense they’ll do it for free once I miss the flight, but if I change it beforehand even though I KNOW I’m missing the flight I get charged all these extra fees.

He told them that he knew we would miss the flight so it makes no sense to wait until we missed the flight to reschedule. My husband then asked to speak to the supervisor. The woman put us on hold then came back on the line saying that she could waive the change in airfare. So we would only be charged $75. My husband asked to make sure it would only be $75 & she said yes.

I just checked my itinerary & it says total is $632.20. I checked my bank account & it says they're trying to pull the full amount. Nothing is being waived. I don’t understand how I can be told that I’ll be charged one number but they charge a completely different number. Then I called the customer support & they tell me that I misunderstood what the woman must have been saying because they don’t have the power to waive the change in airfare fee.

I didn’t misunderstand anything, both me & my husband were on the phone. There’s no way we both heard it wrong. So they told me to make a complaint with corporate, but you have to send an email. After you send the email you get this delightful automated email saying that they’ll respond 7-14 business days & sometimes it’ll take 30. Which is the most ridiculous thing. They get to reply at their earliest convenience but none of this is convenient for me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Travelled from Seattle to Columbus, checked a cooler full of raw seafood with 2-3 lbs of dry ice. When we set the cooler on the scale the agent asked if there was any dry ice in the cooler and we said there was 2-3 lbs inside to keep the seafood frozen. The agent said there was an additional $150 handling fee for the dry ice. Prior to the trip we checked United's policy and it said up to 5.5 lbs of dry ice could be checked as baggage and nothing in their written policy said anything about a handling fee. When I arrived in Ohio on Nov 9th I got on United's website customer service and shared my experience with them. To date we have heard nothing from United.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I was sent an email saying my flight had changed from 3:04 pm departure to a 9:58 am departure on Christmas morning. I called to let them know that this was a huge inconvenience and what could be done and the woman was extremely rude. She started off saying that they can change the flight whenever they want and that I was basically a liar about my original departure. I told her I would fax/email if she didn't believe me. I then proceeded to just say that I understand that airlines can change itineraries but in 15 Years of flying with other airlines this has never happened and she actually laughed at me!

I told her I didn't appreciate her laughing and she ignored me and proceeded to tell me she would refund my money and since there is still a month left before the departure they can and probably will change my trip again. She also, told me that they sent other emails about 3 other flight changes which I told her I never received. She was a rude woman with no compassion and didn't even want to try and help in anyway.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

On September I booked a ticket with United Airlines online services, I then received a booking confirmation and waited to see for a whole month if they had retrieved the amount on my credit card, but no amount was shown on my personal account. I immediately phone United and asked what was wrong, they then informed me they hadn't retrieved the amount because my bank had refused, I phone my bank and their reply was, "We have never received a phone call from United." So I had to rebook another ticket with paying $200.00 more. On Nov. 23, I wanted to change reservation because of serious illness in the family. I phone to change dates, everything was smooth. The operator clearly stated that in order to change dates I would have to pay $300.00, and they would deduct $150.00.

That was fine until a day or two later on I had to pay $600.00 and no deduction. I think the problem lies with United Airlines outsourcing to other countries in need of extra cash: they might be working on commission. The more you delete and rebook; the more you change and not tell the actual amount, the more they make. Never will I book with United Airlines. NO way. PLEASE BE CAREFUL. 2 CHEATINGS IS ENOUGH.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Was sitting in the United Airlines passenger check-in area at LAX on November 25, 2017. UA employees called LAX police to have me removed from sitting in the seats in front of their counter. I was sitting in the United Airlines check-in area because it was quiet and very very few passengers, as in other terminals are packed and crowded. I was waiting for my American Airlines flight to Dallas.

The LAX police told me they got a call from a United Airlines employee saying I was a "stranded or homeless person" sitting in their area and wanted me removed. I showed the police my ticket and they apologized to me. I have never flown on United and I NEVER will. The United employees at LAX are very arrogant, rude and nasty!!!

The United Airlines check-in area at LAX is empty because of the poor customer service and high number of complaints against this disgusting airline!! Because United at LAX has such little business, their employees are playing on their phones, smoking in front of the doors, talking loud about **, drugs and illegal activities and acting like **. Way too many workers standing around with nothing to do but cause trouble for themselves and passengers. STAY AWAY!!!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

The trip to Europe in early November was great. The way back was horrible. Great service on the way there. Clean plane, decent food. On the way back it was like flying a plane that should have had chickens in the overhead compartments. The seat on the way back was torn, with really no existing cushion. I sat for 11 hours with the feeling of steel rods probing my tookus. The flight attendants on the way back were rude. I had to beg for water.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

When approaching security at the SFO airport with my small carry-on, backpack and tennis racket, I was told that the tennis racket counted as a third carry-on and I would have to check something. The United agent confirmed this and charged me $25 to check the racket. Then, almost immediately, I noticed multiple other people who were allowed to bring at least three items including a guy with a backpack, duffel bag and a skateboard. What's up with the inconsistent enforcement United? If you have a policy, everyone should be held to it.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I'm annoyed that my husband has lost his luggage and was left at Newark airport and did not board with him. My husband now has to cope with losing his luggage and has to find a solution to it. Considering he is overseas I have little chance of communicating with him. While tracking his luggage I was on the phone for almost 6 hours and has been transferred between the two carriers who will be responsible for releasing his luggage, I have requested to speak to the supervisor but did not have a chance to. I was told on 2 occasions that he is busy. It is not even cleared of what reason why my husband's luggage was left on his original departing airport.

My husband's trip is an emergency, and whatever he needed was in that luggage. Customer service sucks and even told me, "We have no knowledge how important was is in your luggage." My point is important or not, it was paid and has to be taken cared of. This will be the first and last time we will be using United Airlines. They have to improve their service and the character of the customer service they hired. Be considerate and answer frankly not just saying, "I'm sorry."

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I booked the ticket for my Mom traveling from Beijing to Newark at United Airlines two months ago and for some reason my mom was not able to come and then I canceled the flight. United Airlines customer service told me they can transfer the canceled ticket to the credits for the future flights by the end of 2018 which was good. Today I called them to re-book the flight for my mom for the next coming December, at first I was asking for the one-way ticket on December 12th or 13th, the man on the phone was very rude, he never told me how many credits I am available to use, just simple said on 12th, I still have to pay extra 500 dollars plus used up all my credits for a ONE WAY ticket!

I was so confused because when I searched on their official website, on the same day, one way ticket is only around 800 dollars, and I have more than 2000 points available to use. So I asked the guy on the phone why there was a huge difference for the price between booking on the phone and online, the guy told me that sometimes they have special discounts online but not by the phone. What he had the price was just 2000 dollars for ONE WAY from Beijing to Newark. So it does not make sense to me when I already paid 2000 dollars on that ticket before, and after I canceled and re-book it, I still have to pay extra 500 dollars for a one way ticket!

Then I asked him if I can book the ticket online, he told me yes I can, then I asked him to help me to book the ticket online, he was impatient and rude again, said: "I am not responsible for the online support service, you have to call back for another person to guide you, or I can transfer you to the online support team". And he also said rudely that "I already told you and I don't know how to explain more to you about the ticket". So I asked him to transfer me to the online support team and I said "Thank you for your help" and HE DID NOT EVEN REPLY A WORD TO ME!!

So I was transferred to another representative, and the lady was nice and friendly, I asked her what is the reason for the huge price difference between the official website and the phone. She said it was because the guy did not sorted the price list for the lowest, he just randomly picked up one ticket with full price and it was 2000 dollars for ONE WAY by then, which was very unprofessional and very irresponsible.

I was thinking if I wasn't ask again about the price with that guy, I would eventually used up all my credits and I still have to pay extra 500 dollars for a SINGLE RIDE for my mom. Which really does not make any sense! I don't know this guy's name and his working ID or something, but I felt sooo bad about this phone experience, I used to be a very loyalty frequent flyer with United Airlines because I have to travel back and forth between China and US every year. I used to fly in business class with United Airlines several times, their business class service is really poor, food is poor, facility was old, they usually have a Chinese flight attendant for serving the Chinese customers, but most of their Chinese flight attendants are not able to give us a really good service even at Business Class, let alone the coach class.

Another issue about the UA is every time when I spend more money and do an upgrade from economy class to business class, the points for the mileage will never add to your mileage plus account, this does not make sense as well. There are many other flight companies out there, United Airlines will no longer be my Only choice for my future travel.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I checked in one bag and was charged $25 which was fine. I asked at front desk if I could take a small carry on and they said YES. As I was about to board the flight the person at the counter said I had to pay $50 for a carry on. Which I think is done purposely by the airline to rip the customer off. I have traveled so many times and this has never happened to me. Will try my best never to fly United Airlines again. :(0

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

So I'd like to start this review stating I haven't even had the pleasure of boarding my flight yet. I merely had a simple question about baggage policy and tickets that provided carry on vs those that did not. I made a phone call because I felt the online description of the baggage policy didn't really answer all my questions. I figured if I called their customer service line I could get better-relayed information, at the very least something I could understand.

Terribly mistaken is what I was when I made this phone call because I was greeted by an electronic voice who listed options. Robots are not terrible. Don't get me wrong but, they are not always the best at understanding and can only respond in a specific way so it's difficult to dig for answers more akin to the website. So I botched my interactions with the robot and finally was given a person to talk to, at this point I was nothing but ecstatic to get answers. This was also misplaced I would come to find.

The women chimed "Hello, I'm A" seems happy enough. Her accent was pretty thick. I thought nothing of it as my grandmother has a very thick Hispanic accent and I've grown around many different people including ones with accents. "Pleasure to meet you, A, I'm K how are you today?" I said pleasantly "I'm good too thank you for asking K. So how can I help you today."

So I proceeded to ask my questions about the baggage policy, the problem here is I don't think she actually knew what she was reading. She sounded confused. She quickly stated the same things I had read online and simply kept telling me that I could not have a "carry on". That answered one of many questions, but I had been asking about which tickets offer "carry on". If not to switch tickets or potentially be charged to have a "carry on" but, to know for further use of the airline.

She then listed the names of the tickets and what they offered but when I reciprocated that I just wanted to know what the first ticket (Price range wise) was to offer "carry on" she again this time more sternly stated I could not have a "carry on". I got frustrated at this point and asked to speak to someone else cause I felt we weren't communicating well. I asked for someone who spoke Spanish as it is a second language and I could perhaps find someone that could understand me better.

She then put me on hold for a short time in which time I handed the phone to my significant other whom is also fluent in Spanish. The same woman picked up the phone again this time my S.O. (Significant Other) asked the questions as she also has a ticket on the flight. As she confirmed the information and who it was my S.O. asked the questions received the same answers I had. Then politely and simply asked "OK, but what is the ticket that offers the carry-on." A responded with "Regular economy".

That's it everybody I had finally received my answer. I rejoiced in the background "YES! THAT'S ALL I WANTED TO KNOW THANK YOU!". So I finally had my answer, however, this was an almost 30-minute ordeal and I don't have that kind of time for simple questions that should be answered in 10 minutes or less. I understand if there is some large clause or term of service you have to read to me but please just answer the question in simple a statement. Don't run me in circles, don't keep telling me what I can't have I only want my questions answered quickly and politely.

In conclusion, I am dissatisfied with the customer service quality of United Airlines, their baggage policy does not offer "carry on" to their base price flights. This airline is not convenient nor affordable. Just cheap. I can tell that their funding and time does not for 1 go to customer service or satisfaction. This information saddens me and I would like to see better from this company in the future seeing as they are the only ones within my price range.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My daughter was having emergency surgery so I flew up to Arcata CA, but United Airlines would not let me change my trip. It seems since it's the only airline they can charge large prices to and out of Arcata CA.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Our first time to visit Texas. On our way back to CA, we had our WORST check in experience with United Air staff. Pls Check out one guy "in ponytail" VERY RUDE and not accommodating. Doesn't even smile.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

United Basic Economy Policy SUCKS - Can United find any other ways to screw its customers? I WAS a loyal United flyer until today, when this policy caused me to miss my flight because I could not check-in at the kiosk -- instead I had to wait in line to PROVE to United that I did not have a carry on bag. Nor could I electronically check in, as I always do -- again I had to SHOW THE TEACHER that I did not have a carry on bag or I would not be allowed to get a boarding pass of any kind. WTF United! The United gate personnel (nice people, really) stated "You should have known to show up super early to go through the no-bag-verification process."

And I missed my flight, along with a whole line of other people in the same situation. Honestly, it is time for us ALL to pick another airline. I can imagine the United Board of Directors gleefully voting for this "basic economy" policy to enrich their bottom lines, assuming the sheep will continue to fly United. Not me. I will vote with my feet and go elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I am a disabled senior and I would never fly United ever again! Every time I flew, a wheelchair was supposed to be waiting but it never happened. Then each time to get one, I was talked down to and embarrassed. Boarding I was told I could board early, never happened. I was pushed and shoved and if I could, would have gotten off and taken another airline. Think a UAL would help but every time they looked the other way or couldn't be found. This happened a while ago and I see nothing had changed for me to change my mind. Whatever happened to the old, old slogan "Fly the Friendly Skies of United"?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Having problem check in kiosks, search for nearby United Airline staff for help, not only being unhelpful but she also just walk away and left with only "I cannot help you" and leave me hanging. After trying to consult for her help again, she basically said I was rude and nasty!!! What an interesting CYA tactic to fend off people and justify why she does not know how to help customer. Take away... Just blame on other people and you are safe... What a great customer service tactics.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Returning from Atlanta, my plane was canceled because of mechanical problems. I was then switched to American Airlines and rerouted from an Atlanta to Philadelphia to Albany. Originally the trip was to go from Atlanta to Newark and finally to Albany. I was scheduled to be home by mid-afternoon. But instead because the connection from Philadelphia to Albany was missed. I did not get home till after 10 pm. No provisions for a meal or any effort to lessen the burden of an over 7 hour delay to arrive home.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I believe I've used United Airlines one time and that was more than enough to prevent me from using them by choice in the future. I had a terrible time flying United for an international trip only to have coworkers tell me later that I should have used a different carrier. Lesson learned.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

After a 2.5 hr delay on the SFO tarmac, missed the connecting flight to Amsterdam on Lufthansa, rerouted next morning on United to horrible Newark airport for United flight to Amsterdam, only to arrive at destination 48 hours later, with missed hotel reservation in Bordeaux.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Premier access does not happen from local secondary airports. It is just a stampede to the seats (Santa Fe, NM). Flight to Munich, booked thru United (Lufthansa) does not provide early boarding. United takes your money, no refunds, no service. It is a scam, ripoff for suckers. Bad business.

United Airlines Company Information