1.25/5
Based on 40 reviews that contain star ratings

44 Summer Bay Resorts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

The computer I had a flashing screen advising if I rang in 4 minutes I would win a vacation to the value of three thousand dollars. It sounded great so I rang the number and a lady milly ** answered and continued on congratulating me and after long explanations out came the wanting of my credit card information. When I was reluctant to give those details she put me through to another lady posing as a manager and she again pressured me to give payment of about $1200 NZ cash towards a fantastic holiday with my credit. I advised I wasn't going to give those details over the phone. She really started to pressure me again to release details that mastercard credit companies wouldn't advertise their logo if this was a scam in regards to my credit card details..then looked on consumer complaints and other people who experienced and got ripped off...I was on to it and hung. Other people might not be so lucky.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

Summer Bay Resorts continue to target unsuspecting Australians. My experience in November 2014 is identical to that reported in June. I too was pressured into supplying information and credit details and not given the opportunity to check the credentials of the company. I have been promised 6 nights in Orlando Florida, 7 days car rental, 3 nights Daytona Beach, 2 nights Bahamas Cruise and 4 nights at Guanacaste, Costa Rica. All this can be mine for $898 if I agree to participate in 90-minute timeshare presentation PLUS $199 per person "departure fee" for Bahamas cruise, PLUS $250 booking fee for Costa Rica PLUS $300 for meals & room service. I was quoted $1386 AUD but have been debited almost $1500AUD. I too, like others did not receive a receipt. (A phone inquiry led me to click on yet another link to view a receipt of sorts which shows payment as pending. Assurances that they would also email all paperwork were followed through.) After finally completing my consultation with several polite but overly persuasive people, I was left shaking and wondering what I had gotten myself into?

A brief look online quickly brought up poor reviews about shoddy accommodation, misleading information - the Bahamas cruise is a 4 hour trip to Fort Lauderdale. People arrive at resort to find they have been booked at an entirely different "overflow" location etcetera. Immediate contact with my bank showed the payment had already been processed. I am leaving it in the hands of my bank to sort out the return of my money as I see from other's experience that no satisfaction will be gained by attempting to obtain a refund from Summer Bay Resorts.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2014

They show you fancy pictures and videos only to lead you to the property but when you get there it's not what you expected and they refused to make amends for it. While the agents are very courteous at the front desk management, stays behind a door in case you need to make a complaint and they send the people at the front desk out like messengers only to deliver the bad news rather than facing you upfront. After asking numerous times about a whirlpool or Jacuzzi type bath tub in the room they told me over and over again all of the rooms had it however when I arrived I was given a rusty oval bathtub with no jets in it and they refuse to move me into what I was told was a standard amenity. The claim that they were sold out get the parking lots work and there were few people coming in Pittsburgh. The apartment that I stay in next door was thinking as well as the next door and next door and so on and so on yet they still refuse to move which is very shady business practices and extremely unprofessional. I was so turned off by the ordeal, I left two days earlier than I was supposed to leave and let them have the money as I had no choice.

I know I overpaid and the management basically had this ‘take it or leave it’ attitude, you have to be an honor to get somewhat some sort of respect. It left me in a sour mood before I left and I refuse to go to the front office. When I went to the business presentation the conversation was recorded and then listen to I guess more than one conversation where they said that they couldn't find anything that was promised to me. I had to inform them that it was not about promises that was made to me, it was about amenities that I specifically asked for and was told that they had and I had specifically asked for those amenities for my suite. It's different strokes for different folks. Use them if you want to, however keep in mind that you may not get what you ask for but you will receive an abundance of non cooperation and rudeness from the management. Be careful what you ask for because you just may not get it. I'm a timeshare owner with the Sheraton and this is what I get for wanting to try something new.

Original review: July 31, 2014

Well, you already know most of the story. It was pure coincidence that I have been speaking with a Travel Agent only minutes before, when I received a Popup ad on eBay. Being curious, I thought I would call the local number and find out more. The phone Staff were very polished and I can understand how people would be taken in. The deal all sounded to good to be true. I immediately suspected that they were a Timeshare organization offering a so called discount off their normal package price. Oh and wasn't I the lucky one. I received their very best offer, $3,000 off etc etc. Would your Family love to do this and that etc. They know you want to give your family a great holiday and spend some quality time with them etc. It's all an incentive to get you hooked into their system. I was suspicious when they told me to click on a link and printout their written guarantee. SO WHAT anyone can type up such a document. It's not worth the paper it's written on.

We have a 5 star rating. We advertise these big co names. Anyone can design a fancy home page with links to a legitimate site. All seemed OK but not without some reservation, as to whether this was a very elaborate scam. When they got to the point of requiring my Credit card details before the end of the phone call, I advised I would not be giving them any credit card details and I would not be paying a deposit immediately, which could be as much as 18 Months in advance, without having the opportunity to research things further, or discuss the holiday on offer with my family.

They would not call me back in a day or two, and give me time to consider things. As they suggested, I called the Bank on another line, (Keeping them in anticipation) to try and verify that these people were legitimate. They were obviously not able to, although it seems they are fronting a legitimate business, which for some could be even more convincing.

The pressure to act now or miss out on such a wonderful opportunity was enough for me to leave them hanging on the phone until I accidentally cut them off. Of course they called back twice from a caller id of 000000. I did not answer. I hope they call again. If they do, I might waste an hour or so of their time stringing them along. Remember the ball is in your court. If they are legitimate, there would be no pressure to confirm your placement now. How can they guarantee you accommodation 18 months out with 45 days notice. I have had to book accommodation/Flights several months in advance and even struggled to secure accommodation when calling the Hotel directly. Anyway hope you come out of this OK and don't lose your money. They are VERY professional.

The Guys I spoke to seemed almost too nice.

Original review: July 12, 2014

I am currently waiting to see what happens next with this organization and am very concerned now (the satisfaction rating applied above was necessary to complete this comment and is subject to the outcome of my interaction with the company) having googled and serendipitously come across the scam comments!!! Today I received a notification whilst reading my e-mail that I had won a $3000 holiday package for 4 people to the above and other locations (valid for 18 months) and also for a cruise and after some deliberation and with the encouragement of the very professional and friendly staff agreed to go ahead with the fee of US$..... having been quite stressed for some time and in need of a long overdue holiday.

As I live in Australia, I then checked the cost of airline travel to the States, etc. (AU$2500+) and felt that I would not be able to afford this offer for some time and called the company back to inquire re the cooling off period and cancelling of the arrangement. The lady at the Sydney Australia number 8015 5036 could not give me any info but has assured me that someone would call me on Monday as all staff were off for the weekend and that my cancellation procedure would follow with their assistance.

Within a couple of hours of having spoken to them, my bank acct had been debited by the amount discussed even though this is a weekend??? I also have not received any e-mail confirmation yet... though I have been given a site to log into with all of my details and the arrangements discussed. I am very much hoping that this is not a scam. It would be a terrible injustice as the staff were incredibly professional, pleasant and apparently legitimate and there obviously exist the site and amenities mentioned which certainly appear very real. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome... ; - )

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Summer Bay Resorts?

Original review: July 2, 2014

In 2013, we were watching the Travel Chanel and saw an infomercial for a 5 day/4 night cruise package. All you needed to do was to attend a 90 minute Timeshare presentation. All you would need to pay is the port fees and taxes. This included a 3 day/2 night stay at their resort in Orlando, Fl. at the Summer Bay Resort. After 1 year, we booked the trip as we wanted to go on the cruise (which they never said we received after the Timeshare presentation). The hotel on their property is disgusting. The rooms are run down and there was trash and dirty laundry in the halls. Never mind the fact you can hear through the walls. The 90 minute presentation turned into 4 1/2 hrs and the lunch provided was old nasty hotdogs, a bag of chips and a soda. So now we went to book the cruise and were told the port fees and taxes were $197.33 per person.

After checking Carnival's website, we found out the port fees and taxes were only $89.62 per person. When I asked about these fees, we were told that covers advertising, expenses and marketing not the trip. And they keep telling me the cost of fuel is in there. We cruise on Carnival all the time and the $89.62 per person covers all that. I told here I wanted my money back and was told that was impossible. She might be able to get me $128.00 back. I told them that would be ok. Then I was told they could only refund $78.00 back unless I wanted to pay the $197.33 first they could get an onboard credit (Carnival does that all the time anyway). After long discussions we only got back $78.00 out of $325.00. The resort was not worth $247.00. What a dump!!! Something needs to be done to stop them from RIPPING people off!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2014

I hate to admit that these people have gotten me twice. I purchased a vacation package from them and was not able to use it for Florida. Then they called back and I was harassed and talked into another package which would include a trip to Gatlinburg and then another to Myrtle Beach and I had 18 months to travel. Well now they are hassling me about scheduling the trip or I will lose it and all my money.

Can someone not do something about these people? The lady calling me from Gatlinburg is so very rude. I got a call from her two nights ago at 8:45 pm and she told me she could call my house up to 9 pm which is how long she works. I was furious. I know I have lost my money but I want a complaint lodged against them. This company needs to be stopped from taking people's hard earned money. What can be done?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2013

My bank has informed me that it would be a "risky business" dealing with these people as there are pages of complaints on the internet referring to people being scammed by Summer Bay Resorts. I have been advised to block payment on my credit card which I have done 11 hours after my communication with them. As a World War II veteran, I am familiar with this area... having been one of the crew that sailed on the wartime "Liberty Ship" Sam Leyte which was built in 28 days at the Brunswick Georgia Shipyards

The people that I met then were "real people" and little did I think that when I was 87 years old, I would fall in to a trap like this... I do not need this hassle with these people who are registered on the internet as Scammers... I was looking forward to returning to this area which I had known during World War II but it is not going to happen?? This is the reason "why" I have cancelled payment for this "supposedly trip of a lifetime".

Original review: Aug. 2, 2012

James ** was extremely rude to me when I requested a refund. He would not listen to what I was trying to say, and I told him that I wanted to speak to his manager, to which he responded, 'I am it". Okay, so he throws his title around if it makes him feel important. The fact of the matter still stands, Summer Bay telemarketers called me on January 18th, and sold me a package, promising several deals, including:

1) 3 Days/ 2 nights: 2/09/12-2/11/12 ($49) - can bring up to 4 people, or 2/12/12 (extra $50 for extra night 4 days / 3 nights);
2) 5 Day/4 Night cruise to Grand Bahama Island - Carnival Celebration Book through C/S Phone # - 800-774-0165 Cruise (casual, bathing suit, flip flops, t-shirts, etc. ) 1 nice dress for Captain's night;
3) 3 Day/2 Night Certificate;

4) $50 Hotel Card (If refer anyone, get additional hotel cards).

I never called them. I did not want to purchase this package, but they insisted that I had a year to use it. When I finally had time for a vacation, I booked the reservation. I was asked if I had a credit card, and I did state that I didn't know if I did have one. I needed to check. I said I do have a debit card. I now get a call 2 days before I was scheduled to arrive, stating that a mistake was made. Well, if I hadn't told them I didn't have a credit card, how would they know that a mistake had been made? Please answer that one. The mistake was made on their part, not mine. I was honest.

If I cannot go on these vacations, then the fair and ethical thing to do would be to give me a full refund. I've since read many complaints about your company all over the internet, and it's a real shame that you have that reputation. I have filed a BBB complaint, and intend to escalate this matter to Florida's Attorney General, Consumer Relations Dept, Florida Consumers & Agricultural Dept, etc. If I need to file a small claim, so be it. I deserve a refund, and I won't stop writing and calling until I get one. The nastiness, rudeness, and bullying won't deter me from pursuing my rightful refund.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2011

I was scammed by Summer Bay Resorts. My boyfriend thought he had won this great offer so he rang up about it. It was supposed to be a free holiday but then they said that we had to pay $898 which we did. We felt pressured into purchasing. We were not informed about the 7-day cancellation period or else we would have done that. We were offered more during the phone conversation than we actually got which is false information. They offered us 4 theme park tickets instead of two + car hire. But once the package was purchased, these extras just disappeared. They did not inform us about the age requirement/earnings requirement about this package. They did not inform us about all the hidden costs until after the purchase took place. They did not inform us about many of the terms and conditions. They just fed us false information in order for us to purchase the package. The package runs out in June 2012 and I tried to get a refund but to no avail. Is there anyone out there who can help me?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2010

I placed a order for a Oreck air purifier over the phone and and after that a operator told me about this "great vacation deal " for only $242 with a $1,000 value from Summer Bay Resorts, for 4 days/3 nights in Orlando and 3 days/2 nights in Bahamas and 3 days/2 nights in Daytona. Also, I had a year to make my reservations.

So I bought the vacation and about two weeks later, I lost my job and called to get a refund. I talked to Mary, the manager, and she told me that there are no refunds after the 7 day cancellation policy that was sent to me in the mail, about 7 days after I placed the order. And that I could sell it myself. Just recently, I talked to Nick *** who is the manager also of Summer Bay Resorts and I again asked for my money back because of job loss. And he also told me no.

Well, economically, I lost $242 and I lost my job so that money would have been spent on bills, not vacations. Also I feel that these people are scammers. They don't tell you that this resort is a time share and you have to sit for 90 minutes per vacation to listen to the speech and also they don't tell you about the 7 day cancellation policy until you receive it in the mail 7 days later.

Original review: April 5, 2010

I was conned into purchasing a vacation package that they would never allow me to use. It's a long story, but basically they assured me 100% that my transaction would be fully refutable as well as I could travel with anyone I wanted to, provided they were at least 23 years of age. When I went to book the dates of travel, they completely took back what they said, told me I had to travel only with a spouse, and that the transaction was not refutable in any way. They would not keep their word (it's clearly on recorded conversation) nor would they refund my money. I'm extremely upset that I have been scammed. $208 total, which, to a military family is quite a lot. They need to refund my money. They were 100% dishonest with me, and I am ready to sue if need be.

Original review: July 20, 2008

6/3/08 I was sold vacation pkgs via phone-must attend timeshare sales(not disclosed upfront)-That I can SELL it on EBAY-"everyone does"-which is illegal I found out. I did call wi/7 days to cancel yet only refunded $300 of $498 my Cr Card! I decided to try it (since they have my $198) No confirmation of Napa sched hotel as promised. I called mult times (on hold..), got runaround. Napa hotel promised by Sales is NOW "extra" cost $45/nite! Or you get the low end hotel(verbal)Never got confirm by email or website(as promised by sales) I paid tax $15/nite-3 nites= $45.They wont credit bk as promised on 6/26/08(I cancelled trip since they couldnt confirm anything!)Only 1 point of contact they tell me-who only yells and changes subjects.

Disconnected or put ON HOLD for 30-45 min ea time I call to get info, then transferred or cut off!Call Ctr cant find my name, phone, etc. After 20+calls I get thru to/QA person-James B. or Jeff (changed name to Chip). They talk over me, change subject, blame me, yell, no solution to get MY money or straight. $198 + $45 time I spent on hold and lectured and yelled at. This co are CONS-they use high pressure & dont deliver!Many complaints online. They need to be shut down.

Original review: May 11, 2008

We purchased a time share in May 2005. It was a very pressured sale for us. I was very sick at the time awaiting major back surgery. The heavy sales pitch, we bought. We were lied to from the start, first we was told we would have more points that we got, then came the maint fees that we were not to pay until 2007 (we was buying someone else's unit, they were trading up, so the fees had been paid for 2005 and we get the first year free (being 2006) we was not to pay maint fees until 2007 whic we did and we have paid 2008 also.

But we have not been able to use this thing at all, not one day. They have frozen it and they add late fees every month and they add all these extra fees they are saying that we owe well over 1500.00 to them now. We are so upset because we paid opver 14,000.00 for this thing and we have paid 525.00 and 545.00 for the two yrs maint fees and not able to use it at all.

Please help us with this scam. they are ripping off people all the time. All the staff that was there when we bought this thing has been let go, they are all new staff now. I have written to them from the very first back in 2005 asking for our money back because they had lied to us and they said it is your workd against us, the others are all gone now. So what can we do?

Summer Bay Resorts Company Information