1.32/5
Based on 98 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

128 Singapore Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

The website booking process was the worst possible. Nothing seemed to work first time round. It kept asking for me to reenter things. When the payment was made, an error code came up which said the money had been taken from my account but the booking was not guaranteed. I rang customer service and after 45 long minutes, the result was that I had to wait 10 days for a refund into my account, then ring and book again (with the strong possibility of a price rise). Unbelievable. I will never fly with Singapore Airlines again!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

PLEASE NOTE: If you do a last minute cash upgrade for e.g. from economy to business, they will only give you the miles for economy. So SIA has just found another way in which to earn your money, but not give you your perks. They are one of the greediest companies I've ever encountered. Already relative to other airlines, they are known to hardly ever upgrade their customers, even those with Solitaire and PPS status. Their stupid business class lounges are getting so packed all the time, and they do all these stupid long, convoluted phone menus before you can get through to their customer service agents.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I paid for a forward window seat zone on my flight on Singapore Airlines more than 1 month in advance prior to my flight. However when I did my online check-in, to my surprise my seat has been changed to a seat that way back of the aircraft. My original paid seat was no longer available and I had no choice but change my seat to a middle seat at the forward zone. I called Singapore Airlines how this could happened however they insisted that the changes must have been made by me or someone as the changes were made on the website. Hence there is nothing they can do to give me any seats in the forward zone nor refund me back.

It is obviously an error in their system or SIA side as the confirmation on my backseat was a seat that indicated a changed seat as claimed by SIA. There was no email confirmation of change of seats by SIA if I or someone has made the change from website, as claimed by SIA. I did however has the change of seat confirmation when I changed from the back seat to the middle seat up front. I felt absolutely cheated by SIA and it is such an irresponsible response for not acknowledging their mistake.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

We had a sick child scheduled to travel alone in AM next day hence we tried to reach the call center to change flights. However after 3 hours we were unable to reach a human to assist us and it wasn’t possible to change the flight online. So far the worst customer service to date.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

On the 16th December 2018 SQ223 from Singapore to Perth, I normally get Muslim food cater for on all my travel with Singapore Airlines if you like to check it out. I also check with the Steward on board and he came back and told me yes you have cater for Muslim food. My problem is, why after telling me that and later on the flight I did not received the food. My partner food was bypassed on the way and was cold when she had them. The Steward tried to give me a $75.00 cheque to make up for the meal which I did not take. They also tried to offer me some duty free drinks which I tried to get but also didn't have the one I wanted. It's a disappointing of Singapore Airlines staff doing that. I'm disappointed with the airline because I travel with them in all my travel.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Singapore Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Our PNR was S6OEJ2. Three of us traveled in SIA MEL/SIN/DEL return. Both my wife and son had requested for IVGML. The quality of meals served was nonpallatable especially on the SIN/MEL sector on SQ217/8Dec. The aloo paratha was half baked, a burnt smell emanated from the dessert and far too sweet. In all the food was not appetizing. This resulted in stomach upset for my wife and started vomiting on board. Took 2 days to recover. I had fish on board which was dry and hard. Sad to note that you served Ice Cream cubes which was served in your airline 20 years ago too. No change or variety in In flight meal dessert. We had a nasty experience with Air India earlier en route from India to Australia and now in SIA.

May have to reconsider flying with your airline again in future. Suggest try and restrict your offers in Special Meals to customers if you are not able to deliver the right meals well cooked please. ON MEL/SIN sector noticed your some senior male cabin crew just poked my shoulder from behind to ask my meal preference. I was shocked by this attitude as none of your crew members should have the right to touch customers. Your service standards are downgrading. Sad to see this happening with your airline which was once upon a time the best airline in the world.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Singapore Airlines may have one of the best services in flight but they have very poor customer service and company policy. We had a direct flight from Singapore to Newark, USA booked to arrive at 5.50am on Thursday 22nd Nov which was Thanksgiving Day - for us to attend Thanksgiving dinner later that day around 6.30pm.

Singapore Airlines cancelled the flight (for internal business reasons) but described it as a scheduled change, possibly to minimize the need to pay for any compensation. We booked through Expedia and though they did not inform us of the "scheduled change", the issue is that Singapore Airline's actions resulted in us having to pay for extra day's accommodation and meals for our family of 4. When I complained, they blamed Expedia, offered nothing but a disgruntled sorry - and that took more than 2+ weeks! No compensation - not even a small token. If a passenger had done this - requested a "scheduled change" for their personal reasons to their flight, Singapore Airlines would charge - sometimes even a full ticket price. Step up Singapore Airlines - take responsibility.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Business Class was a new experience. It was all that I had hoped it to be. The cabin crew were outstanding in their attention to the care of each passenger. The food and beverages were excellent as was the opportunity to share the Airport Lounges with ease of boarding and luggage handling. The extra space and flatbed facility was much appreciated as was the relative quiet on the upper deck. I will certainly fly Singapore Airlines next time. Thank you to all who provided such excellent service.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I was on a flight from Mumbai to Los Angeles on Oct 30th. I had purchased the economy plus for an extra 1300 US dollars. Going over no problem, however, I had requested aisle seats, I sat down in seat 35 G and a man sat by the window in shorts. He proceeded to remove his shoes no socks and began to fondle himself in a big way. When he saw me looking he took the blanket and covered himself up and continued. The staff moved me to a middle seat, I didn't pay for a middle seat, if I had not been able to get aisle seats I would have stayed in with an ecomony ticket. No one talked to him, nor did they say anything to me. I had to move, he should have been moved to the middle seat not me. I thought it was disgusting that it wasn't handle in a way to put me at ease after witnessing this disgusting act. I think it is against the law to do this in public.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I used my air miles to redeem a returned flight from Singapore to Seoul back in April 18. I missed my scheduled flight to Seoul on the 27th of September. I was grateful that SIA scheduled me on the second flight to Seoul free of charge. HOWEVER, what I didn’t know was that SIA autocancel my returning flight to Singapore without my approval and without informing me via email nor messages. Does SIA expects me to swim back to Singapore? When I try to check in SQ609 on the 7 Oct, SIA says all their flights are full. I have to be placed on the waiting list with no certainty. The ground staffs are not helpful and I have to purchase another one way ticket with Asiana airline. I don’t know whether I will get KW 730600 back but I will fight for it.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Completely and utterly appalling how such a world class airline like Singapore Airlines would succumb to such a horrible Treatment of their valuable customers in relation to the bomb hoax call they had received for SQ 423 that was supposed to have taken off at 10.50 pm on 7th September 2018. Passengers had a harrowing experience of being held up and not being allowed to leave Mumbai International Airport the whole night till 9.00 am 8th September 2018 when the flight finally took off, because of a bomb hoax call.

The sad part in all this is that Singapore Airlines refused to convey how long the delay would take leaving passengers hanging around at the departure gate clueless as to what was going on and despite several requests by passengers to be offloaded no arrangement of any sort towards that was initiated, on the contrary ground staff came across as rude with a lackadaisical attitude about the whole situation! Such a call may need tight security, but why were innocent passengers held responsible and not allowed to leave the airport, when THEY were definitely not the reason for the security threat??? When the Singapore Airlines offices were contacted they seemed to be clueless about the whole issue despite it being splashed over news channels!! What’s happening SINGAPORE Airlines? Can someone explain??

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

We are in the middle of a nightmare trying to get my ticket. My husband was sent his but mine is 'on hold'. The reason? Still don't understand what is going on. I booked over the phone and paid for two premium economy seats from London to Perth-Australia next March. The company then decided that it needed to issue our tickets separately due to me having KrisFlyer points to redeem for a few pounds reduction on my ticket. They then tried to take out money for another ticket, while they have my money that pays for both tickets available to them from my card which says the full amount pending on my card, waiting for Singapore Airways to use it. Of course, there is not enough money available on my card now for them to take out for another fare and Barclay card stopped the extra payment for that reason. Thank goodness for that.

My husband and I have both been trying to find out what is going on with the Singapore agent (who, after several calls from him and getting nowhere, I asked to speak to a manager. He told me he is the manager!) as we are tearing our hair out and I am feeling very stressed, having spent hours over three days trying to get this resolved and going round and round in circles. We keep repeating that they have all the money for both fares and they just need to action it; how did my husband's ticket get paid for and not mine if they have not actioned the money that is sitting there from my Barclay card? What money did they use for that ticket? They have mentioned some technical hitch that is STILL not sorted it appears.

My husband has said that we want this sorted today and my ticket issued. The Singapore agent said he would speak to the finance department and get back to us. That was three hours ago and he has still not got back to us. I have loved flying with Singapore Airlines in the past and always sung their praises to others BUT I am not going to go through this again with them. Next time, I will look for a reliable airline. I know things can go wrong but when they get it wrong, the customer should not be put through all this stress and time wasting trying to get the matter resolved. SO disappointed.

Original review: July 25, 2018

One needs a sense of humour with this company. Booked a flight from Brisbane to Athens only to find out after paying that the majority of flight was on the budget company Scoot. All I wanted was an aisle seat as I have a medical condition but because I didn't book directly with Scoot, this turned out to be impossible to do. Even when checking in. Food and service very average, I really don't understand how they get such accolades. Will not fly with them again.

Original review: July 24, 2018

12 hour from Perth to Singapore. Putting it simply they ran out of food. My daughter had leftover chicken noodles & I had a bread bun for breakfast. NOT IMPRESSED. WILL NOT USE AGAIN.

Original review: July 16, 2018

SQ31 from San Francisco to Singapore. I never get disappointed to Singapore Airlines as much as today. I understand that the plane is having an issue and the team here tried to fix it, however, your team should have make earlier call to disembark the customer not after 3 hours on the plane, plus we need to wait another 2 hours again just to find out the flight was cancelled. Even worse, Most of the customer are disappointed on how the ground team handle this issue. It took them another 2 hours for us to wait the shuttle under the SUN. Yep, your so called APAC team does not have any clue on what they have to do, eg. listing the customer but they don't know what to do after listing our seat number, they don't even know which hotel, funny thing's, they didn't even realized that the earlier list wasn't the full customer list.

Amazing on how bad is your teamwork with this kind of situation, so much disappointment for a high price ticket and an airline who claimed themselves as the best service airlines. They told us that our replacement flight will be leaving the next day 7am. They put us on the hotel for a night. Not until 3am I found out from the letter put on my door that they cancelled again the both flights due to some issue with the flight. They told me to go to the airport and check which airline is my replacement. I went there and got myself booked on ANA NH7. I waited for 2 hrs since the counter for ANA opened at 10.40.

I went to the ANA counter and they rejected since though they have my name booked in ANA, SQ haven't issued my ticket. I went back to SQ counter just to find out that SQ031 is leaving at 11.30, what a SURPRISE to know the same flight that they told us broken is actually flying! Hope SQ031 have a good and safe flight back to Singapore. Having the airplane broken is understandable, but lying is NOT, also the fact that the way the airline treat the customers is not based on respect, they put they put profitability first, very arrogant.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I was one of your flight passengers that traveled from Philippines to India on June 15, 2018. During my flight, I pre-ordered a low-fat meal that was served as a part of my travel package. While I was half done through my meal, I found some kind of a fly/insect inside the meal box. I immediately brought this to the attendant's notice, the attendant offered me another meal that I refused to take. I was already disgusted with the situation and could not afford to take a chance with the quality of food that was served.

I have traveled in Emirates, Qatar, Cathay Pacific etc but never had this kind of an experience. This is not what I expected while traveling on Singapore Airlines, paying a big amount. The experience I had with the food is cheaper than a "road-side restaurant". To be on the safe side, I have taken pictures and videos of the same. I realize that I wasn't treated fair and would sincerely look forward to your resolution on the inconvenience that was caused to me. I am hoping you'll promptly respond and resolve my concern at the earliest.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I had called the customer service to see an option for upgrade. The service agent was able to get me a price and I was ready to pay but the call got disconnected. There was no call back from them. I called them thrice the same day after and none of the customer service agent was able to get me the price that was mentioned and said that they will be giving me a callback. I called them again the next day twice as they never gave a callback. I requested for the price; at first they said I won’t be able to upgrade and then when I insisted that they had provided me a price previously they said they will give a callback. This time I did got a callback but then they increased the price by 1500$. It’s just disgusting and unethical practice by a well known airliner to rip off their customer.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I made a connecting mistake online out of Singapore and simply needed to change one leg of a booking. I rang and I rang to get some common sense to apply. No such luck. The change fee for one leg would have taken me over the return current economy airfare and I booked and paid 6 months ahead. You have to wonder now if this is the airlines business model. They can't make money out of flying people so they rip them off in charge fees instead. What goes around comes around. I am going to Europe this year business class and was looking at SQ. Do you think they will get the fare now.

Original review: May 23, 2018

This is my second complaint regarding same issue which is not sorted since last 7 days. I have never faced so much inconvenience to book a flight being travel in more than 30 countries and taken more than 100 flights. It is a simple redemption ticket one way from USA to Europe for 1 adult and infant. SG has made it a nightmare.

Your team is horrible in coordination and if one manager is off duty the other one should be fully aware of the situation and take it from there. With an infant I have spent more than 30 hrs calling you guys and explaining my problem over and over again. I'm already trying my level best to reach to your higher authorities, so they are informed what an inefficient team they have.

I am still continuing to call your team at SG Airlines and this time to my surprise the agent was able to give fare in 5 mins Something which you guys could not and kept me on this long-awaited saga for the last 4 days *day and night. Due to which I lost my direct flight and will incur higher expenses. I am sure you understand, that travel industry is all about getting the right fares at the right time, by booking it, in short all about “Opportunity cost”. Timing is everything when it comes to booking a ticket. For me, booking my ticket via SG Airlines has been the loss. Due to your delay all my hotel bookings are also on hold.

I started calling you guys on 17th May 2018 and today is 23rd May 18. Fare on Austrian airline for an infant is hiked up to $481 USD now, which I cannot afford to pay, especially on a redemption ticket (for the infant alone). To sum it up for you, SG airlines team has made it so difficult for me and my 1 year old. Hope you understand that this is big lost opportunity for me due to – a/ inexperience in your team, b/ not being able to get me the fare at the right time, c/ not being able to quote the infant fare. With all this back and forth and waiting until today. Please let me know as soon as possible. I have spent enough time on the calls and I am very tired and a frustrated mom. Thank you.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Bought a Singapore Airlines ticket online and due to an accident on road my partner could not take the flight. Trying to pay a penalty to get reimbursed or book another flight, the run around I got has been disgusting. Buy online in Singapore the agent is in Melbourne and no telephone numbers working. As stressful as it is wondering about how your partner is doing and not being able to get assistance with reminiscent, I am disgusted at the system and care factor which is ZERO for the customer. I am a frequent flyer as well... Singapore Airlines are money hungry and they are slipping as an airline. I am not happy. In Singapore buying Singapore Airlines ticket yet I have to liaise with overseas to get report and no service.

Original review: May 19, 2018

In sum, think thrice when you book with this company. They just concern on their profit, but not much on your time (keep delaying these days - I fly every 2-3 months), and after-care. On the other hand, be careful when booking with another child company of SIA - FlyScoot too: I bought the air ticket for PEN-SIN to and fro for my parents to travel next week, where the transaction was made on 10-May-2018 (Thursday). But the system screwed up and charged me for the insurance but not the flight. My booking was then canceled by the system but still get charged for insurance.

I called Scoot to clarify on Wednesday (16-May-2018) and they be giving their stand as none of my business and I shall proceed to cancel and get refund from the TigerInsure myself. But the insurance company just say "This is a complicated case and the person in-charge is on-leave" and they never get back to us again. This is a total scam and money cheating! As another child company of SIA, this is just another not very cheap fare but so-so to bad level of services when they refused to take any responsibility or to provide appropriate assistance when all of these happenings are the cause from their "brilliant" system screw up!

What I say about SIA and Child Companies? They are just such a money burning companies for you to invest in. So, it be best that you always consider them only after you weigh that the fare they charged are reasonable compared to others and you did not really would like to fly something super valuable along, as well as if you have more time and money to spare in case mess up issues such as mine happened to you too: delay flight, charged you for nothing and no refund can be made.

Original review: April 25, 2018

We have been flying Singapore Airlines for years and found them one of the best airlines to fly with; but their service has now deteriorated. Flying out of Thailand on 4 April was adequate but the connecting flight to Paris and the return flights to Thailand on 21 April were appalling. A brand new piece of luggage damaged to the extent it can no longer be used; dirty toilets on the Paris to Singapore leg (queues formed when the girls attempted to clean), no water or liquids given on the THREE hour flight from Singapore to Chiangmai, Thailand. The Flight Manager promised to deal with the problems, took my name card, but I have heard nothing from them. He came to my seat, apologized, and said it would never happen again. Empty words of course. Once passengers are off the plane, they had no intention of doing anything. The senior hostess confided that their cabin crew complement is 22 compared with over 30 on Thai Airways.

Resolution response: April 10, 2018

My last post was a poor review on Singapore Airlines. Since then they have made good by compensating us for the extra night accommodation for the inconvenience. The extra day covers the hours lost.

Thank you Singapore Airlines!

Original review: April 5, 2018

We are from South Africa and was originally scheduled for a flight at 14:55 today from Thailand to Singapore. We were then scheduled to fly at 17:50 and now it is 18:40 and we have not yet boarded. This is unacceptable service. We are on holiday and time is being wasted by Singapore Airlines. If you care about customer service then please let us know how this time will be reimbursed to us. You have extended your flight to SA to the 10th April but this extra delay does not compensate.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I was making reservations for my son (minor) and myself travel to Bengaluru, India. I always had a great experience with Singapore Airlines, but this time around it was very disappointing. The website is really not efficient and keeps returning to the make your reservation page after entering the destination, date of travel, and selecting flights. Four times I tried, the price kept changing and always higher than the previous time. Then when called their customer service center, the price quoted was $ 230/ticket, more than the original price shown on the website. The customer service person's answer was "the current price is what it is!!" It may be the cookies that they are using?? Hope they will be able to fix the issues their website.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

A recent flight, 19 February 2018 from Dhaka, Bangladesh to Singapore SQ447 resulted in two incidents. Checked in an ‘oversized baggage’ wooden crate, 150cmx75cmx15cm contains an embroidered cloth picture. Both sides of the crate had name and address on very large bold print. To date, there is no trace of this - find it very difficult how something this large, that was checked in, can simply be untraceable. Calls to lost baggage are unhelpful and disinterested. Second incident involved a seat that did not recline in business class. Was informed of this prior to boarding and then handed a $150 duty free voucher as compensation. How does $150 compare to the cost of a business class ticket? This flight is at midnight, so one would naturally want to sleep before arriving early hours of the morning. Very poor experience. Singapore Airlines is losing credibility as a quality airline.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I booked Singapore Airlines for the first time to KL to assist my daughter with the birth of her baby. I paid cash and less than 12 hours later they emailed me that my main direct return flight had been cancelled. It appears that at the time they took my cash they knew this flight would never fly but had not updated their website. My original flight was 11 hours, the alternative was a 24 hour flight, with 12 hours sitting in Changi overnight and another 1.5 hours in Sydney. Needless to say I did not accept this (I am too old) and they agreed to fully refund me.

That is where Singapore Airlines lost me. I needed the cash urgently to rebook in time for the birth, but after hours on the phone and queues to customer service and emails, I know I am unlikely to see this refund in under now 8 weeks (depending which email to believe), possibly never. Over $1000! They do not care that they fraudulently took my money and the position they have placed me in. Other comments about the customer service are correct, no one is empowered to do anything, they do not care, do not call back, do not follow up. I will never ever try to book with Singapore Airlines again and am making sure all my family and friends also know. It is a pity. I thought they had such a good reputation and although I was unhappy about the cancellation all I really wanted was my money back so I can rebook to get to the birth!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

On the 16th August we booked and paid for a trip in March 2018. We booked because they offered everything we required including choice of seat. Which was upstairs on the aircraft. A week ago a month from departure we received an email advising our plane and seats were being changed. On checking our new seating arrangements on SeatGuru we had been pushed way back to the rear of the plane in seats rows of 3.

We emailed customer services to see if they could provide better seating as I have back problems and need to move about quite a bit to be comfortable on the seat, (the reason we booked 2 seats at the beginning)... and the reply was we have 2 seats, they are emergency door seats and they cost £75... but you will have to be available to help in the event of an emergency if booked. After several other emails I found that customer service really were only interested in one thing increasing profit. They didn't care about my problem or anyone else with issues. We have supported them for years... but this will be our very last trip with them. Very disappointed. Very angry at this outcome.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

As usual some banks credit card can use their point to redeem for airlines miles. And can also redeem the points to any of family members as Long they have airlines members too. So I redeemed my credit card points to my husband KrisFlyer account so that he can redeem flight ticket too. He made 2 bookings on Mac17 for my son from Singapore to San Frans on 11th Dec, & return from LAX to Sin on 25th Dec. Suddenly we got their email on September 17 said name mismatched & wanted me to submit required document. I submitted immediately. Then on November we tried to book two air ticket for my daughter but failed. I asked & they said my husband account under audit. They said we breached of KrisFlyer contract that pooling miles from other members! It's ridiculous as in their system totally not allowed to pull miles from anyone to 3rd party account. So I leave it for audit.

On 8th Dec I tried to do web check for the above 2 booking but it's missing & found out they cancelled the above 2 bookings & returned point to my account. But only refund 1 ticket payment. They totally no official email or call to inform us for the cancellation. Luckily I tried do web check in or else I totally didn't know it was cancelled. Now I have another 60 hours plus to fly & found out this bad news, what should I do or any legal action can be taken? My main question is WHY THEY CAN SIMPLY EASILY CANCELLED OUR AIR TICKET WITHOUT ANY OF NOTICE AND INFORM OR EMAIL TOO! I've tried the best & found another ticket to SFO but for return still under searching. So this is truly disappointed and disaster which has spoiled and ruined our family trip to US to attend my daughter's graduation. Our domestic flight & hotel all booked! Truly sad & mad & worrying right now!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Flew Perth to Singapore. We were 1.2 kg per person overweight. We had 3.6 kg extra. Got told to take it out. Childs meals have to be ordered now so my 3 year old had no food as the curry was too spicy for her. They don't use common sense. What do you think a 3 year old eats? Vietnam to Singapore no coffee as the seat belt sign stayed on the whole flight. Wife never got her meal. Sorry this airline is going backwards fast. Used to be 1 of the best airlines. Now I rate it a 3 out of 10. When complain they say, "Yes you were overweight 3.6 for all 3 customers so you have to take it out." So really are they telling me you want to lose customers. Think twice before you fly them.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My husband and I chose Singapore Airlines (SIA) for the 1st time to visit my brother who lives in Singapore. We thought it was one of the best company. Unfortunately, it has the worst customer service we’ve ever seen. Our return flight (SQ336 17th July)) from Singapore to Paris was delayed by 3 hours so that we missed the connecting flight with Air France in Paris. All the flights to go home were full for the following 2 days. We had to buy ourselves 2 train tickets (188 euros) to go back home.

Our Air France tickets that we couldn’t use because of the delay were non-refundable. So we lost 246 euros because of SIA. After several mails to SIA (because they don’t reply to emails), the company doesn’t deign to pay 246 euros to compensate us. They only want to pay the difference between the train tickets and the Air France tickets (52 euros). Not logical. Plus, they don’t want to spend money to reply with postal mails. Only answers by email.

This way to do show how tightfisted is Singapore Airlines. They don’t have consideration for their customers. They don’t take responsibility when their delayed flights have consequences on customers. We had suffered many inconvenience because of Singapore Airlines and they give no compensation for that. We will never fly again with Singapore Airlines, neither my family nor my friends in France and in Singapore.

Singapore Airlines Company Information