Sandals Antigua

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

NOT worth the money (12k)!!! SERVICE IS RUDE & FOOD IS MEDIOCRE (CRUISE CUISINE)!!! Marie **, our bartender, was the best/most informative person at Sandals Antigua! As a entrepreneur, I know Marie ** should be some sort of management over this mediocre resort. Due to availability issues we stayed in the Butler suites for 4 days and the Mediterranean side for 3 days.

Our trip began in the Mediterranean lobby. When we arrived, starving after 7 hours of traveling with no food, we sat in the lobby for 25+ minutes waiting on our concierge to bring us to our room. They were out of the welcome drinks while we were sitting in the lobby and no one replaced the water for the entire 25 minutes we sat in the lobby. Didn't tell us about honeymoon meet and greet, we were not informed of a orientation, didn't tell us when and where to go for our tours or that we needed to check in at a completely different location for the tours we paid for online, AND when we questioned Nerisa (management who also finally escorted us to our room) she said "you should have read the fine print and brought it up to your representative" (excuse).

When we went to dinner after trying to get over the silly little issues that seemed to plague the first day of our honeymoon, we were turned away by the restaurant hostess because she said I didn't have the proper attire. According to the printout handed to us by the front desk the attire was "resort casual" which stated that swimsuits were acceptable as long as they were covered. I was wearing a cover that was the equivalent of a full length dress and when I told the hostess we were tired and could we please just be seated, she told us "she didn't make the rules". Even after we walked 10 minutes back to our room and 10 minutes back so that I could change, we called the front desk to ask about the confusion and again were reassured that my attire was adequate.

When we were finally seated at the restaurant another hostess came and accosted us telling us that because my swimsuit straps were visible under the new dress, that I did not meet the required dress code. When we told her about the previous incident she told us the other hostess was doing her job and the front desk/management/printout handed to us was wrong. The restaurant was a surf side bar and grill where shoes weren't required but they apparently had an issue with my swimsuit straps showing. My husband said he was about to take my swimsuit top off and I'd go without anything! To top it all off the AC didn't work our first night either.

The next day, when we got to the restaurant we had made reservations at, they had no record of our reservation (also we were not informed by any management that we needed to make reservations at most of the nice restaurants). By the time we found out we needed reservations we had to choose from the "leftover reservation slots"!!! Also, we had reserved a "beach dinner" and requested our dinner be on the point... our dinner was NOT scheduled on the point and we did not find out until the hour of our dinner. Our butler told us it was not an issue and he would take care of it for us but then Management tried to say they never did dinner "on the point" yet the advertisement is clearly of a couple having dinner on the point and we had been told by various other members of staff that THEY DID OFFER DINNERS ON THE POINT.

Management apologized and gave us the dinner for free but there were too many mishaps on this trip for it to cost us 12k! We could have went to Florida for 2 weeks and lived like Kings for this kind of money. Thanks to Marie ** we were able to sign up for all of the tours we had already purchased online prior to getting to the resort. And thanks to Marie ** we found out early on that we needed reservations for all of our dinners. She also told us who we needed to speak to for different circumstances and she always remembered our names when she saw us! She was the best part of our trip to Antigua... that and the beautiful view... our Butlers were great but all of Management was rude, unorganized, and unhelpful!

I recently took over the Grand Bay Casino that adjoins Sandals property. The gate that belongs to Sandals is the back entrance to our casino and was promised that it would be opened prior to us opening. We have contacted Mr. ** the general manager on several occasions and have been told they are working on getting the gate open. The other night we had several Sandals guest climbing over the gate and one falling on our side getting injured. I expressed my concern the very next day and spoke with Mr. ** who stated he is waiting on answers from the board. I have been taking pics and video ever since due to a possible lawsuit if someone seriously gets injured. I have also learned that these guests from Sandals are being told that the casino is closed and that is what angered them that they are being forced to walk down a dark road to get to us rather the well lit pathway from Sandals directly to us.

My husband and I traveled to Sandals for our honeymoon earlier this month. Our experience was disappointing and far below my expectations. As honeymooners, we wanted a true first class experience. We were hardly greeted with smiles and were not greeted as "Mr. and Mrs." or "honeymooners". Throughout the trip, numerous things turned our moods down (very hard to do when you are just married and on cloud 9): When we arrived to our room, again no "honeymoon" recognition. We had someone's old sandwich in our mini fridge and a used bar of soap stuck in our shower. The restaurant staff was miserable and unfriendly. No one smiled or made small talk or asked us how we were doing. We were treated as a burden.

The reservation-only restaurants are hard to get into. When we finally made it to Eleanor's at 9PM, my husband was told to go back to the room and change his clothes because he had khaki shorts on instead of pants. There were 4 people in the restaurant. The icing on the cake was opening my wallet to find over $100 missing. We filed a "report" with the manager. Her report consisted of her writing down my name on the back of a sheet of computer paper. We were told "too bad" and that we "should have used the safe". At this point I am in tears. I know $100 compared to the $5000+ we spent on our honeymoon should not make me this upset however this was money given to us at our wedding by our loved ones. We still have yet to even receive a phone call from management. This is truly a horrible resort and I have taken every opportunity I can this far to tell my friends, families and coworkers to stay far away from Sandals.

I have just returned from a very poor seven day stay at Sandals Antigua. This was my first experience with Sandals and went into this expensive vacation with pleasant expectations and an open mind. All of this would be put to the test with our first encounter with Sandals employees. After a wonderful flight and a quick trip through customs we arrived at the Sandals welcome counter at the taxi stand (It should have been named the unwelcome counter). This was a worn counter pressed against the wall with no seating or amenities. We were the first to arrive from our flight and were checked off a list and were told to wait and that we would be placed on a taxi. Well, yes we did wait and watched as every other couple that arrived after us be placed on a taxi and depart. For thirty minutes we stood in front of the counter and were ignored and bypassed.

The Sandals dispatcher holding a clipboard that was responsible for getting taxis was in an ongoing verbal disagreement with some of the drivers that appeared over costs as he repeatedly yelled the word "Kras!" Now most reviews I read for Sandals resorts reported air conditioned waiting lounges with champagne, shoulder massages from their spa employees and a dedicated resort shuttle but this was not to be the case here. This was mayhem. We were finally placed on a taxi by a compassionate taxi driver who saw our plight and told us she would work out the details with the dispatcher (who refused to look at or speak with us) later.

At check in, we were told we were on the second floor when we booked a ground floor walk out. We expressed our disappointment and were reassigned to room 706 on the Caribbean side of the resort. This was a ground floor unit but not a walk out. I was told "There was not a lot of room availability as this was reunion week and this was the best room available." The room was tired and in need of a remodel. The once majestic four posted bed had lost its glory as two of its posts were snapped off. The shower needed grouting as it was black, the toilet rocked when used and the seat would not stay up unless it was held. The two sinks in the room was just decorative as one would not drain for hours. We kept in mind that we were close to the beach and tried to look past these deficiencies and explored the resort and enjoyed the beach.

We were impressed on how lush and tropical the area was outside our room, if we only knew what surprises this would hold for us; we would have taken the second floor room. You see, the windows don't close all the way. They are louvered with screens that don't close completely to let in the soft Caribbean breezes and sounds. Yes, the sounds. At first the sounds of the frogs and insects are delightful but they don't stop. They just increase with such volume the television has a hard time drowning it out. But even the insects and frogs must rest. They do at 4:15 a.m. The exact time as when the morning doves begin their cooing. We did not sleep at all the entire week except on the beach from exhaustion.

We thought about drinking ourselves to sleep but there was no liquor or wine in our room. This is an all inclusive resort with all of our friends and neighbors rooms having liquor in their rooms. When I inquired about this I was told this was not part of my package. This week cost us almost $7000, how could this be? I asked at the front desk if I could purchase a liqueur package for the room but was told no, it's not available for my room type. Just disappointments after disappointments. I have never in my life felt so short changed, so much like a second class citizen as Sandals resort has made me feel.

Concerning the rest of the resort, it's exterior needs to be completely painted floor to roof as the painters only paint as high as they can reach making all the walls two tone with the faded paint above the fresh. The food overall was average with Barefoot on the Beach being the best and most consistent. So vacationers beware. Good money spent and a poor vacation had here. Shame on you Sandals, you should spend less on advertising and more on upkeep and customer service skills.

I am typing this on the aircraft back to New Jersey because I am too upset to wait til we get back home to get started.

Let me begin by saying our home was severely damaged during Hurricane Sandy last year. We were devastated by the loss. This past year has been the most trying time in either of our lives. And most unfortunately it occurred only a short four months after our wedding. We had just began our lives together and then it was shattered by the storm.

We vowed to rebound and decided to save up for a nice anniversary trip to try to put it all behind us. We had stayed 10 days at the Grande in St Lucia for our honeymoon. At that time, we had wanted a week in a rondoval but only 3 days were available. So we decided what better way to treat ourselves after such a difficult year but at another Sandals and this time, a full week this time in a rondoval. So we called our travel agent at Libert Travel and booked our week in Antigua.

Upon our arrival, we had expected a private car. The same private car we had gotten in St Lucia and was told came with the butler suites here as well. We did not get a private car. We brushed it off as 'no big deal', it was only one simple thing is what we told each other. We would just mention it before leaving to make sure we got the private car on the way out.

Next we enter our room and it is lacking what the same priced rondoval in St Lucia had. There was no hot tub, there was no outdoor shower, there was no indoor shower area like in St Lucia. The only shower was a small shower head in the ceiling that had no curtain or glass wall to keep the heat or water inside the area so showers were very uncomfortable. There were no cushioned chairs, couch, or coffee table. And even at this point, we were disappointed, but still tried to be happy that we were on a nice island and that we should be grateful for the opportunity. I know the travel agent mentioned that these were the original rondovals but such a considerable difference should have been mentioned.

Day 2 ended terribly. We went to the Reggae Fest in town. When we got back to Sandals, we had dinner at the Drunken Duck with some friends we had met at the resort. After dinner, my wife left her purse at the table and we went dancing. We returned to find the tables separated and her purse missing! Inside her purse was our camera with pictures of our house from the storm, my wallet that was a gift from my mother who is deceased, our RayBan sunglasses that were our wedding gift to each other, and my wife's wallet with over $600 in cash. We looked all over for the purse. My wife went to Lost and Found to see if anyone had dropped it off but no one had. We both were extremely upset and distraught that this would happen. We were supposed to feel safe. We spent a lot of money to be there and we wouldn't have if we knew how little security there was.

The next day we spoke to the front desk. We told them what happened and disclosed that we were so upset that we didn't even want to be there anymore. Shelly brought us to her office and we told her the whole story. She informed us that there are no cameras in the Drunken Duck. I could not believe there were no cameras in the place they should most be. How are people to feel safe from fights and thefts in a bar?! She also informed us that the staff is searched prior to entrance as well as departure. A policy that I hardly feel is rock solid in confirming that it was not one of the staff. And I truly don't believe a guest who paid a considerable amount of cash to stay at Sandals would have the need to steal a purse, but that is just my opinion.

Shelly let us attempt to reach our banks by phone to cancel the cards. Next a female security officer came in to take our statement. I had to repeat myself multiple times which was not only frustrating but lower my expectations of the report being done correctly or of anyone finding the purse. She would ask a question like, what time? I would reply, 7pm at the Drunken Duck. Then she would ask me where? And I would repeat, the Drunken Duck. We had pretty much given up on finding it at this point but Shelly said to not lose hope.

Things just never got better. The next day we returned to our room, after a day at the pool, to change for dinner. For the second day in a row our bed was not made. There was a cheese platter still there from the night before, a towel still thrown over a chair, and the shower had no hot water. For the money we paid for a room. It better have hot water. That was the final straw.

In St Lucia, the butlers left nice love notes, towel animals, and flower petals. We noticed this wasn't happening in Antingua. Another annoyance but we thought we could let it go. The first day the bed wasn't made and my wife called down to tell someone, their response was "so?" So?! My wife immediately said, 'Well let me speak to someone who actually cares then.' We paid A LOT of money for that room. The last response we expected would be 'so'.

So back to the final straw with the room a mess again and no hot water. We had put up with minor incidents for long enough for how much money we paid. A call went out again and Sandeep came to the room. My wife was in tears at this point. I discussed the issues with him, showed him the hard cheese plate, the towel, the cold water, the unmade bed, etc. I discussed our expectations from our previous stay including the butler messages, the little desserts that we weren't getting either, etc. He was very nice and also concerned.

I will admit that the next day we saw a major turn around in the housekeeping and butler treats. However our trip had already been soiled. We kept hearing that security would talk to us about the missing purse. I got a phone call at 830am late in the week asking if we had travel insurance. That was it. I had expected more. I was anticipating a conversation would happen the absolute latest at check out, but that didn't happen. In fact, insulting enough, I had asked our butler, Cecil, if he had heard anything new about the purse. He said he didn't know anything about it in the first place. Shouldn't our butler know our things were robbed? And this was as he was wheeling our luggage out to depart.

As the trip went on after the final straw, we heard other things from guests that really irked us. One guest had said they were picked up in a private Cadillac because they had written an email about the roads. One guest showed us there room that they had been upgraded to and the room had separate shower and a tub with jets, two sinks, and a cushioned couch/chair. I would almost say their room was nicer than ours and we paid A LOT more for ours!

It was just one thing on top of the next of disappointment and upsetting news and events. Even our last night, for our last dinner we ate at the OK Corral. A cockroach ran down the wall and onto our table, the slipped in the cracks of the table, to which I had to try to attack him through. I finally got a piece of him enough to knock him down and he scurried away. After a long, miserable week we just didn't even get phased at that point. It just seemed common for Antigua's Sandals.

At departure I asked Cecil if we had a private car. He looked surprised I would ask that and I told him about St Lucia. He informed me that it was a courtesy of other Sandals but the Antigua one doesn't really do that. He did get us one, which was nice. But all in all our trip was so miserable. My wife and I actually discussed last night not even bothering going on another trip anywhere because our experience here was do miserable. Even on our last full day, we had wanted to eat at the Barefoot Grill. Well wouldn't you know it was shut down for a private function. A private function for travel agents who didn't pay to be there. We had PAID to be there and we didn't get to eat there. My wife had wanted to get two massages and do some excursions. We couldn't do any of that because we had no money and no cards.

I am absolutely appalled that this trip went this way. We had planned it as a well deserved reprieve from the pain of our loss, but in turn it became a misery journey. We even saw a couple who said Rachel Ray paid for their trip because of Sandy. This wasn't our case. We PAID for our own trip. Which is why this experience is that much more hurtful to us. We saved up over a year to end up getting robbed and terrible service. I would NEVER let anyone tell me they are planning to go to Sandals without talking them out of it. In fact anytime someone mentions travel, this story is going to come out to them about Sandals.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sandals & Beaches Resorts?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

So upset that we wrote the Tourism Ministry of Antigua, here is our letter: It is with great displeasure that I contact you. Your offices hold responsibility for the tourism product on Antigua and I thought you would be interested as to why my wife and I will never return to your Island, nor will we recommended your Island to any of our family members, friends or associates. I truly wish we could say otherwise but unfortunately our experience detailed below compels us to warn others away from your shores rather than encourage their patronage.

On June 2nd, I was married to my wonderful wife. Travel arrangements for our honeymoon were made well over 1 year in advance and were well thought out, or so we thought. We decided on the Island of Antigua and specifically Sandals Grande Antigua. We understand this resort operates privately however as their actions can and do influence tourism, this matter should be of special interest to your offices. I could spend quite some time listing all the countless faults of this facility, I will however be brief and discuss just the egregious. Sandals was and remains very deceptive in their advertising, tourists are led us to believe that Sandals Antigua beaches are exclusive, inclusive and very private. They are not private but in fact very public. This is a fact I am sure you are well aware of. Had we been made aware of this prior to booking, we would have most certainly cancelled. Public beaches throughout the Caribbean are well known for their aggressive vendors. We have traveled extensively and avoid these beaches at all costs.

Vendors use intimidation and persistence to wear down tourists into buying whatever it is they are selling, drug dealers take full advantage of traveling tourists illegally attempting to sell their poison. There is absolutely no comparison between the increased crime levels on a public beach versus a private, it is ridiculous to even compare the two. We are well aware of these facts and conduct ourselves accordingly, that is why we feel deceived and harmed by the Sandals Resort in Antigua. On day #2 of our honeymoon and on our very first visit to Dickenson Bay Beach, we were harassed, heckled and bothered by the numerous vendors. One particular vendor refused to leave even though I made more than 3 polite requests for him to do so. This vendor threw insults at us and even solicited other tourists as to how they felt about Americans. He demanded a drink from our cooler and it was at this time I stood up and confronted the man.

This entire incident occurred not more than 10 feet from a Sandals Beach Guard who did absolutely nothing in our defense. Even our Sandals Butler, named “Cecil” ignored our plight and when I questioned him about his responsibilities to intervene, he rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders. Both the guard and our Butler stood with the heckling vendor as if they were longtime friends, even as we gathered our things and left the beach insults continued to be spat out. Again, this was day #2 of our honeymoon and we were devastated. We came to your island for the beaches and beautiful weather. We were now facing confinement in our suite until the end of our trip. Forced to stay off the beach to avoid another incident, the very beach we paid thousands of dollars to honeymoon at. Needless to say we spoke with the management at Sandals, a Mr. Gerald **, General Manager.

After listening to both my wife and I explain the details of our “beach incident”, he stated he did not agree with our feelings, our feeling of being uncomfortable and unable to return to the beach. He just could not understand why we couldn’t stroll back out onto the sandy beach and forget the whole thing. I have never experienced such a high level of disregard or lack of concern for our well-being as I did with Mr. **. I told him that Sandals practices were very misleading and that had we known their beaches were littered with con men, drug dealers and overbearing vendors, we would never have agreed to come. Within 45 minutes we were at the airport awaiting a flight off your Island. Sandals has a responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of their guests, they are failing miserably.

We stayed in Sandals Grande Antigua for five nights last month (March 8-12th). The trip was a surprise for my birthday March 10th. We booked the walk out beach front suite in the Caribbean Grove online. But when we arrived at the resort, our room changed without authorization and upgraded us to Room 7029 on the 5th Floor of the Mediterranean Village.

This was a completely different reservation on the opposite side of the resort. We did not consider the room an upgrade and we were extremely disappointed we could not stay in the room we purchased online. We did not want to stay in the building. We wanted our walk-out beach front room! Check-in time was 3:30 p.m. March 8th, we arrived at the hotel at 5:30pm and the so called upgraded room was not ready. We did not have a room until 8:15p.m! We were also told to carry our own luggage to the room. Really, Sandals!

Let’s back track, prior to arriving, the Sandals airport shuttle driver was obviously not a licensed Sandals driver. We were subjected to ride in some individual’s personal van. The van was run down, dirty and needed some mechanical work. The driver insisted on stopping to chat with other locals on our drive to the resort. The commute from the airport to the resort was an extremely uncomfortable experience.

Okay back to checking in, when we finally arrived to our room, we noticed there was no running water. We were unable to flush the toilet. It was gross! The front desk failed to mention to us that the water was down during check in. For the next 2 days of our vacation, we had no running water. No way to flush the toilet or shower. For duration of the trip, the water ran rusty brown. I included pictures of the discolored water to Sandal along with a letter. We made several complaints to both management and Sandals 1-800 customer service number, no answer. The only compensation we received was an apology letter for the inconvenience. A letter really Sandals?! We spent over $6,000 on this ** trip! We were never told in advance that we would not be able to stay in the original room purchased or the fact that the resort had no running water! We demanded that a portion of our trip for the days without water be refunded immediately or a voucher to have a make-up trip at a different Sandals’ location, nothing.

We stayed at many hotels/resorts around the Caribbean, but never experienced the type of inconvenience and uncomfortable living arrangements as we did at Sandals Antigua. I've had better experiences at Best Western and Day's Inn in the States.

In addition, during our stay at Sandals, we experience racism from both the resort employees and the guest because we are African American. I was harassed by the resort employees when entering the resort from the beach, even when I showed them my membership card, they were nasty and rude. We were not shown the same level as customer service while dinning or in general as the other guest with a different skin color. I was approached by guest to get drinks, towels and even help with snorkeling gear. I was wearing resort wear, guess that didn't matter. Some lady asked my boyfriend to fetch her flip flops, really! I never experienced such racism in my life. I felt like I needed to wear a shirt that said I’m on vacation just like you!

Also, I would not recommend this trip for young couples (20-35). The guests seemed to be 40+. This place is like Sandals Assisted Living Retirement Home! Nothing against older travelers, but we were hoping to mingle with couple closer to our age group.

I feel that my birthday was ruined and there is no way to bring that what was supposed to be a special day. We would like some compensation for the trip. We spent a lot of money for the vacation and expected to have a vacation or at least running water!

Our honeymoon was a disaster. When we arrived at Sandals Antigua, they lost my luggage. My husband had his luggage. We could not do anything about it the first night we arrived because we got to the resort at 11pm. We asked the representative for the general hygiene supplies and he stated that he would coordinate it and have it sent to our room. Someone brought us room service and stated that we would have to talk to the front desk in the morning in order to get the personal hygiene products that we requested.

The next morning, my hubby had to go to the gift shop to purchase some clothes, underwear and other products for me. We then contacted customer relations to get some resolution on my lost luggage. We were basically given the run around and couldn't get a definite answer all that day on where my luggage was. The manager found us late that afternoon to discuss the issue with us. His excuse was that the hotel could not be blamed for my lost luggage and that it happens all the time. He stated that it happens several times a week.

That same day, we went to eat breakfast at a restaurant on the resort property. I got sick from their food and threw up right at the table before we left the restaurant. It was not a good trip at all. What kind of excuse is it happens several times a week. I guess he felt that would justify their operations. As far as we are concerned, Sandals Antigua does not have it together and they always put the blame on other people. I made the reservations through their website for everything, therefore they are responsible. My husband and I decided to come back to the US and complete our honeymoon in Raleigh, NC. We had more fun in Raleigh than we did in Antigua. The hotel was a huge disappointment. We would not recommend Sandals Antigua to anyone.

The manager basically told us that we would not be reimbursed for the rest of the stay at their resort. My husband and I did not care anymore at that point. We were just ready to get home and make the best of the remainder of our honeymoon.

Within 72 hours of our arrival at the Sandals Antigua Resort last week (Feb 5 - 12 2005), my husband and I both became ill with vomiting and diarrhea. An amazing amount of other guests also fell ill with the same gastro-intestinal ailment. When we approached management about the outbreak, they would only acknowledge a few cases. Through talking with other guests and some locals, we found out it had been making guests ill for 3 weeks already. We are truly disappointed Sandals gave no warning about the problem when we checked in and confused why they did not take simple precautions such as putting hand sanitizing lotions in the restrooms. It was a nice island, but an extremely poorly managed health situation.

We lost 3 days of our expensive vacation because of the illness, and I am 6 months pregnant, so it was especially of concern for me. It has been 6 days since we first became ill, and we are still feeling unwell. We are both out of work sick today because of how we continue to feel.

We arrived home from our trip and wedding at Sandals in Antigua. We stayed from 10/7-10/14. We discovered that some items were stolen from our room on our last night at Sandals. One of the items stolen was diamond earrings valued over $20,000 US. This was hidden in a small bag inside a suitcase. I noticed some sunglasses were stolen before I left and reported that to the front desk upon departure. I reported this issue to the Sandals website, with the information they requested:

It was obvious that the Sandals staff knew when we were on our last night at the resort and rummaged through all our belongings. They are well aware that most people leave the following morning and won't notice things missing until they arrive back home.

My brother John was brutally assaulted in the bar at Sandals, Antigua. He was knocked unconscious by a man who alleged he was the "jealous boyfriend" of a woman who asked my brother for help in the bar. Sandals provided NO medical attention for many hours, and the Antigua police were "bothered" by my sister-in-law's complaint.
My brother was sent to Puerto Rico for neurological exam (2 days inpatient). This was an obvious "grift" by 2 individuals who set my brother up. He carries no wallet so it was all in vain. We are pursuing all legal means to rectify, and I want to warn tourists that Antigua's legal system is a complete travesty.

My brother suffered a serious head injury and multiple back injuries. Medical bills greater than $10,000.

My husband and I arrived at Sandals Antigua on Sunday. On Tuesday night we ate at one of their all-inclusive restuarants called Kimos. Well 3 hours later my husband got extremely ill. Because he didn't want to ruin our honeymoon, he suffered all day Wednesday and Thursday to the point that he had to stay in our room. However, Sandals management knew that he was sick and how he got sick.
By Thursday night he was in the hotel lobby bent over in extreme pain and had to be rushed to a hospital. Final diagnosis: "Food Poisioning". When we received the bill for one-night stay in the hospital totaling $1,564.00, we contacted Sandals since we felt they were responsible.
When we returned to the hotel we were sent directly to the nurse's office and had to have all the facts documented. While in the nurse's office we were told that Sandals would pay for my husband's 4 prescriptions and that Mr. Eaton would be in touch with us. Well, Mr. Eaton never contacted us until 4 days after returning home and at the request of our travel agency. When he did contact us, his response was "I knew nothing about your alleged food poisoning." When we asked him why he paid for my husband's prescriptions if the resort wasn't at fault, his response was "because I was told you were broke and had no money."
Mind you our honeymoon cost us $3800.00 plus just paid $1565.00 to the hospital and had $2000.00 in our room safe. How dare this man belittle us by calling us poor and destitute without a nickel to our name?

It has been over two weeks now and my husband is still sick.

Booked the Grand-Luxe beach front for a quiet vacation. Arrived Thursday night 4/24/03. Friday awakened to loud noise, banging and a beach was descended upon by locals, cars, trucks and children who proceeded to erect a vender's flee market the entire length of the one-mile beach in preparation for the arrival of Sailing Week due on Sunday.
All beach activities were then canceled on both Sat. and Sunday depriving us of any opportunity to utilize or enjoy the serorts beach which is the main reason why we were there. The roped-off swimming area of this "couple only" resort was now the playground of the local children. The sound of people banging tent posts, clanking bottles and cans, yelling to one another continued well into the night and again at sun-up making sleep difficult and relaxation impossible.
Our oceanview was now trasformed into the backs of canvas and plastic tents. Sunday it was by now no surprise to us when as expected some 150-200 sailboats arrived at our door. The party continued on into the night with over 1000 people on the beach and a huge bandstand less than 100 yards from our room. Monday morning the beach was littered with and smelled from garbage. None of what I have outlined here was disclosed to us by anyone, at any time in connection to this trip. Needless to say we feel deceived, misled but mostly disappointed.

The trip cost us $3,596.00. My husband and I are both self-employed and lost 5 days wages. (Approx. cost $5,000) We failed to benefit by the relaxation we had hoped to gain. My travel agent and I both sent complaints to Sandals Antigua: Franklyn Eaton, General Manager P.O.Box 147, Dickenson Bay,, St. John's Antigua W.I.; GoGo Tours (booked through) 69 Spring St., P.O.B. 507, Ramsey, N.J. 07446-0507, Bargain Travel, Mr. Louis D'Annucci 220 Maple Ave., Rockville Centure, N.Y. 11570

Sandals Antigua Company Profile