Sandals Resorts

Caribbean Chain

3.9/5 (475 ratings)

About Sandals Resorts

Sandals Resorts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sandals Resorts?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sandals & Beaches Resorts?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

My husband and I do at least one all inclusive vacation per year. We have always gone to Mexico and used the Villa Group properties. We have always been impressed and satisfied. This year was different…. I have a friend that I hadn’t seen in 10 years and she was taking her first trip out of the country and going to Jamaica with her brother (who goes there annually). They had a trip booked at Sandals South Coast. They hadn’t tried this property before but always stay at sandals. We had never used sandals before but I assumed it was higher end. We went online and found that it was much more expensive than we were used to but it appeared to have good amenities and the rooms looked nice.

We were flying from Northern California so we took a red eye to arrive at the resort around 3pm the next day because that was check in time. After 22 hours of traveling and no sleep, our bus finally made it to the resort. We were not greeted and the other 20 people on our bus were immediately taken to their rooms. So, we sat and waited, we attempted to ask but were brushed off. After an hour we finally found someone who said our room wasn’t ready and to take a seat. I finally told them we were starving and had been traveling for 22 hours so they walked us to the “jerk shack” to have a light snack. This place was just confusing. No “please wait to be seated” sign. All of the staff watched us walk in and sit but nobody would wait our table.

I finally walked up there and asked for a menu and the gal looked over her brow and smartly told me I was to wait to be seated but she would help us this one time. It was 4pm and only 3 other couples were in there. Around 5pm we walked back to the lobby, many more people had been arriving and we were again told our room wasn’t ready. 15 minutes later he came over to get us.

Here we go with the confusing rooms…We were in the Italian building. When I booked it said it was a beach walk out. We were on the 3rd floor (1314). Also, you could barely see the beach beyond the sea grape trees which is fine. But, online, it also said it was a one bedroom which was more expensive than the junior suite. But we were in a junior suite. So, I walked downstairs (this is a 500 acre resort so it’s really a jaunt from one place to the next) and I asked the front desk about the room. The manager came out and told me our room was a one bedroom, if it all fits in one room then it’s a one bedroom. Also, he said I must have been confused because my room was a walk out. Only butler rooms can actually walk to the water. Ok, whatever, not what I purchased but I just wanted to relax. At that moment I noticed the other 6 people in our group had arrived and were being greeting with beverages in the lobby.

When I got back to the room we decided we were too tired to go to dinner so I was going to order room service. I called down and was informed my room doesn’t have room service. Say what?! That’s a thing? I even asked if I could pay for it and they said no. So, we took a shower and went downstairs. Not before slipping in a huge puddle in the hallway of our room. Apparently the AC leaks 24/7 and leaves a massive puddle in the middle of the room. We kept putting towels over it so we wouldn’t forget.

Made it downstairs (they don’t provide any sort of pamphlets telling you about food or times things open/close so it’s a guessing game) and we found a restaurant that looked nice. They asked for the name on our reservation. Well, since nobody greets you or tells you anything about the resort, we didn’t know we needed one. So we found some other restaurant. All I can say is that all of the food here was incredibly bland and gross. I couldn’t even eat my fried rice that first night.

Now let’s talk drinks. It took a few days to figure out what to order and what not to order. They have one type of beer which is red stripe and we are beer drinkers but it doesn’t even taste as good as a coors. Now the booze, was hard to find brands that we have in the US. They mostly try to force their Jamaican rum on you which to me tastes like gasoline. I finally had to tell them “only dark rum please” and I’m not a rum drinker at all.

The first morning I went down to make reservations and the only opening was for the last night we were there. When they say people on the island move at island pace, that definitely goes for their employees. Everything took an extremely long time. We even took out the fishing charter at the resort. It was very obvious that they really don’t care if you catch anything. They literally drove us in a big loop and changed bait 2 times. This is not how they do it in Mexico. In Mexico, we fish and eat good that night. This was rather disappointing.

Our last night was the only decent meal we had. We retired early at 8:30 and upon returning to our room, the indoor safety latch had somehow latched itself when we closed the door to leave. We had to wait for a maintenance guy to come and break into our room with a screwdriver and pry the latch off. We were advised to not travel off the resort in the south coast area unless we were getting a taxi to Montego Bay (2 hours away) and they quoted us $200 for a taxi ride. So, we were unable to eat any true Jamaican food while there which was very disappointing for a couple of foodies like us.

There were many more issues with our trip but these were the memories that stood out the most. Our shuttle to the resort and back to the airport was listed as an hour drive. It’s actually 1 hour and 49 minutes. Our plane was schedule to depart at 12:26pm so they said we had to be checked out by 7am and our shuttle would leave by 8am. Once checked out, you can’t get food but you couldn’t get it before then either so I got car sick from the insanely twisty Jamaican roads. Then our flight was an hour and a half delayed. Needless to say, I won’t ever use Sandals resorts again.

Original review: July 5, 2022

My husband and I arrived at Royal Caribbean on 6/20/22 for a 4-night stay in room 5211. The room was less than expected but at that point what can you do. We were looking forward to relaxing and enjoying some beach time. We attempted to take a shower and realized we had no hot water. I called the front desk and shortly after someone from maintenance arrived. He was unable to fix the problem and told us that an engineer would need to fix it the next day so we had to take cold showers.

The next afternoon still no hot water and maintenance was called again and no one was aware that there had been an issue from the previous evening. Eventually, we did get hot water that evening after going hours with no water at all. On the day of our departure, I asked to speak to a manager. I made them aware that we were unhappy with our stay and disappointment that absolutely no one had apologized for the inconvenience that we had endured. We were then offered 15,000 points towards our next vacation at any Sandals Resort and an apology. The points were never credited to our account. I might consider going to another one of their resorts but definitely not Royal Caribbean. If it wasn't for the butler's service I would have given them 1 star.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Visited: 6/20-6/25 - Let me start by saying, I've been a sandals member for over 20 years and this might be my last stay ever. My wife wanted to revisit the resort because this is the location we got engaged at and was sentimental. I arranged for flowers and the room decorated as a surprise for her. When we arrived nothing was in the room. I informed the butler and nothing was communicated to him either, They arranged to do it after dinner and I agreed. When we returned from dinner the room was decorated incorrectly and there wasn't any flowers. I explained to the the butler and we both went to the front desk and the response we both got was " Well we can do it tomorrow" My response was my anniversary is today not tomorrow. After the 3rd attempt they finally got it right.

The next issue is that the butlers now have to cover up to 9 couples at a time which hampers them from being effective. There were times that I would call or message them and receive zero responses. Days would go past and I wouldn't even here from them, it got to the point I gave them the phone back because what service am I receiving? The butlers are even frustrated and voiced to me that the shortage has been going on for some time now.

Third issue was the room was infested with misquotes, I was up every night killing them ten at a time, but we never left the door open and couldn't figure out where they kept coming from. From talking to the other rooms it seems to be a issue for everyone. Informed the Butler and front desk and nothing was done. The other problem that room 1130 told me was they had issue with bed bugs and my wife should me bites on her legs as well, Both rooms informed the butler and front desk and again no one reached out or investigated the room.

The swim up pools are a joke and offer zero privacy, you would have people swimming up and starring in your room and leaving dishes in your area. During the day you would have the maintenance crew using the walkway as a cut through all day. It got to the point the my wife felt uncomfortable sunbathing. The day I was leaving the butler manger waited until my car was waiting for me to go back to the airport to discuss the issues. I explained to him the issues and he immediately got defensive. He said I can guarantee 100% this resort doesn't have bedbugs. Even though he received complaints from 3 different rooms.

He said we have a process and protocols in-place if this is reported. I asked him what is the process? I asked him if a client reports it, what are the next steps? He said we investigate, and said no one entered our room after the report was filed with the butler or front desk, so your process failed. He could reply and I said if you want to discuss further here's my number - never heard from him again. Talking to other rooms - Room 730 phone was broken, front desk said they would send someone to fix it and they day the left, I asked them and they said it was never fixed, Room 1130 told me the TV was broken and again they said they would fix it and no one ever should up to fix the TV or investigate the bedbugs claim.

It's a total shame that if an issue arises, they don't even react at all. The attitude is just deal with it. No sure if anyone experienced these problems recently or it's just this Sandals resort or post COVID new norm. Not what I expected from Sandals and extremely disappointed with the lack of service and the amount I paid for that service.

Original review: June 20, 2022

Greetings from Memphis, TN. My husband, Carlos ** and I stayed at your property in Bungalow 4111 and my sister and her husband Terry ** stayed in Bungalow 4118. We had internet issues and could not use the loop in the app before leaving the property however we wanted you to know about some exceptional employees.

Jan the Butler was amazing and she was just as much a part of our vacation as the room and the property. Jan does everything with a Spirit of Excellence and has an eye for details which makes her an exceptional employee. I have managed employees for over 20 years and I know Jan would make an amazing trainer/supervisor. She can teach others how to make guests feel like they are the only VIP and their needs and wants are the most important to you.

She does that each and every day that she shows up. She deserves honor because of her we will visit another Sandals resort and we are even considering coming back to South Coast all because of her service. She made us feel like it was her privilege to serve us. The property is amazing and if you never leave the property your vacation will be memorable due to all the amenities. This property is definitely something out of a romance novel.

Original review: June 10, 2022

We have been planning this trip for over a year and it was so disappointing, we are devastated by the service we received. We traveled to the Emerald Bay Resort 4 years ago and the 2 resorts are not comparable, we had an amazing time. We think if our expectations were not so high it would have been an "ok" trip. It begins with the room categories which reading other reviews it was not just us with this problem. This was not the resort's issue at all, our travel agent should have caught this. If you want any type of room service.... Make sure you have a club room. Yes, premium sounds nice, however, you will need to splurge for the "club" room.

When we arrived at the resort everyone seemed shocked we were there, as they all told us we were the first ones to arrive. We were basically told "go find something to do your room isn't ready". We walked around and everything seemed closed, we found Dinos the pizza restaurant and they treated us like we were diseased. It took forever to get any service and once we did it was poor to say the least. We then went to the front desk and our room was ready and we were escorted to our room. We were in room 2404, and the hallway was very smelly (musty smell), which we later learned was due to a pipe breaking. The mornings were not as bad as the afternoons.

We live in a Florida and left through a storm and my husband and I were having some pressure, sinus issues prior to leaving for st. Lucia. For our first full day we had booked a candlelight dinner on the beach. Our server there was sweet, my husband started to not feel well, kind of dizzy and just wanted to be back in the room. I asked our server what we could do and she said "no.problem, I'll bring it to your room," which she did, but my husband did not feel well and at that time didn't want to eat. The food was brought to us plated, well, the mini fridge was way small for those plates....We ended up putting the food from plates in glasses and covered them with coasters. Needless to say the following day the food frozen and not edible!!

We decided that we should cancel our excursion because we didn't want to away on a speedboat, dizzy and sick. We received 7 different phone calls (and my husband doesn't feel well) regarding the cancelation of the excursion. We were told if we want refunded we had to see the nurse. We asked if she could come to the room, after another phone call (it was acted as if this was never ever an option) she was able to come to the room. She was very sweet and understood and told us she will let the appropriate people know for our refund. Wshew....things are ok....right?!?

We went to the outside bar about 930am and were told they didn't open for 30 minutes....We sat in the hot tub/pool until 10. My husband walked up to the bar with our cups that we brought. The bartender was super rude and informed my husband he has to get ice which took 10-15 minutes, this was after they should have been open. It filled our drinks (in opposite cups as my husband requested) we quickly realized there was no alcohol in our Miami vice and strawberry daiquiri. My husband went back to the bar and asked the bartender if there was alcohol in the drinks he looked at my husband and said "nope, not yet".

My husband planned to golf, the shuttle was supposed to be there at 1, and around 115 he told the other people waiting I'm going to the restroom and when he came back the shuttle was pulling away. He went to the front desk and he was taxied there (which Sandals paid for). Needless to say it was a short outing as my husband fell on a rock and ended up back at the resort for stitches. Nurse Tana was amazing (same one that came to our room, a few days prior). We waited for doc and chatted.

Since we had checked with excursions and front desk the money was not credited, I asked the nurse if she let them know about our room visit. She told us, she tried to do a report but the computers were down and she went to manager on duty and they told her they would take care of it. Well, they didn't. She said she got a "complaint" from the staff at sandals saying she didn't do her job. (Don't worry we are not done with this situation). Because of this and all of the events leading up to this, I decided we needed to speak with a manager, the front desk was less than helpful in getting the manager. Finally Nadia came (relations) manager and she was lovely and seemed to emphasize with our situation. She was able to have the chef re create our candlelight dinner and have it sent to our room. That was incredibly sweet. She also said she would take of our other issues and she would follow up with us.

The next morning a less than thrilled worker was in the hallway "trying to find the smell". So that was awkward!! But he didn't seem to smell anything. I did tell him it's always worse in the afternoon because of people walking on it. Again, worker seemed put out to have to do work. Now it's the last day and we are settling up at check out and....that excursion charge was still on our bill....after we were assured from Nadia it would be taken care of. So after, more of our time and going between the excursion desk and front desk. It was finally taken care, after a lot of time was wasted dealing with this. I believe that was the biggest disappointment of all because we trusted our issues were handled by Nadia, and to find out they were not was a huge letdown. If traveling to this resort, please do not expect top notch service because you won't get it.

Original review: May 29, 2022

I have debated back & forth since being on my honeymoon If I wanted to write a review on how bad our experience has been but we have had enough. First off, My Wife & I just got married on 5/21/22 we booked at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay, Jamaica. This has been by far the worst experience we have ever been on when coming to an all-inclusive resort. (been to multiple all-inclusive resorts on the island)

When we got here, we are immediately escorted to our rooms and pretty much left without any idea on anything when it comes to here. We then found out, we had to make reservations for dinner every night and could not make reservations until speaking with the Sandals food desk (open until 5) and when we went Tuesday am to make reservations, everything was literally booked up. Not that big of a deal but something should have been specified. Every other all-inclusive we have went to, we have got a tour, info on the resort and different amenities, not here.

If you are a younger couple like us (late 20s) you do not want to stay here. Everything closes at 9 and the only thing open is a piano bar (all standing) and a stinky bleach “pub” that shouldn’t even be at the resort. You don’t have many food options besides 2 breakfast places. Mainly just buffet, one lunch place by the pool & the dinners at restaurants have not been open every night. No room service, no amenities, nothing. Stay at the Montego Bay Sandals! The room has been the only good thing here until today. We are in the “brand new building” in the luxury suite with tub etc. The room AC doesn’t work nor have any electricity.

Going to the front desk with our frustrations and trying to swap to the Montego Bay resort (super beautiful) It is “Sorry, we can’t do anything for you, everything is booked up” Nothing has been helpful and with it being our honeymoon it is super disappointing. After booking multiple all-inclusive resorts all around the Caribbean, we thought SANDALS would be top of the line. Comes out to be it is the complete opposite. We had more amenities down the street at the Royal Palladium for a 3rd of the price we paid here.

All said & done, we want to let newlyweds to not make the same mistake that we did & book here. It is not worth the price you pay and unless you are staying at Sandals Montego Bay. I wouldn’t book another Sandals resort because of the awful customer service, Obnoxious pricing & because it is not worth your time. STAY AWAY.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I do not understand how the reviews are good for this resort. I had a one-bedroom suite with a butler and had to move 3 times! The rooms have not been renovated in many years. The tile and grout in 2 of the bathrooms was cracked. The white couch was filthy as well as the rugs. The resort was out of the premium cognac and Crown Royal that was offered and no lobster as they advised it was out of season. The beachside of the resort TECHNICALLY has a "beach" but it is more like a lagoon and you definitely cannot take a stroll.

I attempted to dial 0 to get a pick-up and received no answer MANY times and depending on where you are at the resort, it is not walking distance. A group of us attended the spa and the pricing is deceptive! They include a service fee that is not mentioned and asked what kind of oil you would like and did not advise it was an additional $50. I WILL DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS LOCATION AT ALL!! Not luxurious and very outdated!

Original review: April 28, 2022

I ate seafood at one of Sandals restaurants on my second night, became very Sick, doctors etc, in bed for 4/5 days, reluctant to eat etc. for remainder of holiday, Sandals promised on several occasions to deal with this disaster but keep ignoring my mails, 67 yrs of age, holiday ruined for both my wife and I who traveled from Ireland.

Original review: April 18, 2022

25th wedding anniversary! Was a great vacation everything was nice especially the entertainment. What offended me was the miscommunication with the use of the safe, although I decided not to use it I never anticipated be victimized twice. When I realized 35,000 in Jamaican money was missing from my room ($226 US) we were treated like criminals when our room was searched. Although the stated "we can refuse" the search I feel like that would have made us appear guilty. They searched all of our luggage, souvenir bags/purchases, areas of the room when didn't know about, even under the lamps! While we enjoyed ourselves "in the beginning" and may patronize another sandals in the very, very, far future I don't think we will ever use another Sandals in the Jamaica area.

Original review: April 9, 2022

I very recently stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean with my girlfriend, along with 58 other couples for a wedding. While the resort did look very nice it was very small which is fine, but that's not why I'm giving it one star. I'm giving it one star for multiple reasons, to begin with the price. We paid for a "Kensington Room." Which is supposed to be a slightly upgraded room tier, after we had been there for a few days and had a chance to speak with other couples who had different rooms we found that people who had booked rooms that were in a lower tier than ours actually had more amenities in their rooms. The first of which was an outdoor soaker tub, we noted that more than half of the rooms on the resort had them but ours.

In addition to that our "patio" if you can even call it that was barely large enough to fit two chairs and a table and have an extra 5 feet of space. The photos of the room online and what the room actually looked like when we got there were completely different. In addition, it states that every room gets two complimentary robes for your comfort to use during your stay, we were unaware of this until the day before we were to check out when we received a letter stating that the robes cost $65 each if you took them with you. We never had any in our room.

As for the cleaning, I will say that yes my room was turned down daily and left clean but the issue that I have is when I started out I had 4 towels, the next day we only had two left from showering our first day. Rather than restocking the two that we used they simply took the two dirty ones away and only left us with two. We would only get 4 towels every two days.

We had a bath mat our first day and our last day before checking out, otherwise we were forced to put down face cloths and other small towels just so that we wouldn't slip after taking a shower. Another thing that I found very disappointing while not necessary it would have been nice if it were done but we found out that every other couple had animals made out of towels placed on their bed daily. This was an experience that we never got. Again though as stated not something that I feel is necessary but just a nice little added touch that we did not receive.

We opted to take advantage of the "free" photo shoot which indeed is free. Although you have to pay for the photos that you wish to keep. After selecting around 30 photos that we wanted to keep we were told that we could get the 30 photos for the "25 photo price" but we would not be receiving a photo collage or photo album or picture frame unless we wanted to pay more money. After it was all said and done and we paid for the photos we spoke with another couple who got 10 less photos than us for $60 less and also got the photo collage.

They also informed us that there was a photo package deal that actually cost $20 LESS than what I paid but it gave you 40 photos and a photo album. This was never something that was made aware to us. When I went back in a few hours later and asked what I would need to do in order to take advantage of this promo I was told there was nothing that I could do about it and if I wanted to get a collage or photo album I would need to pay an additional $60 "because I opted out of it." The staff who sold the photos to me didn't seem to care at all about the amount of money that I had already spent nor did they seem to care to want to help me. The photographer that took my photos I will say did a very good job and was very kind though.

The food was mediocre at best at most restaurants and would typically have anywhere from a 1-2 hour wait at times just to sit down at a table in addition to another 1-1.5 hours just to get your food served to you. One couple that we went with sat down at the Mariner restaurant outside, and ordered food. They told their waitress that they were moving tables from one in the sun to one in the shade. After waiting another approximately 45 minutes they were informed that "they left and they could not find them and that they did not tell their waitress." In addition the restaurant Spices is closed on Tuesday nights but that was never told to anyone until we got there. The staff would tell you that you don't need a reservation at some places or would make a reservation for you only to have you be forced to still wait well after your reservation time just to get your seat.

Sandals also failed to make mention to us that no matter what time your flight is (our flight was at 3:13 PM) you are forced to leave the resort 3 hours prior to your flight time. Had I known that I would not be able to stay on resort any longer than 3 hours before my flight left I would have booked an earlier return flight as I only booked the later flight anticipating that I could spend more time there when ultimately I only got 1 extra hour after checkout which was spent sitting in the lobby waiting for my shuttle bus.

And lastly what I found to be most frustrating from the whole ordeal was that one of my friends went into the gift shop and purchased a t-shirt and hat combo for $20. I went into the gift shop two days after he made the purchase to get one for myself, when we noticed that the price quickly jumped up from $20 just two days prior to $35. When we spoke to the staff there they told us that it was always $35 and were incredibly rude towards us. I understand that you should expect to pay a little bit extra for souvenirs sometimes while on vacation, but to price gouge like that is completely unacceptable. Overall the value that we paid for and the value that we received are two completely separate things. We were charged well more than what I feel the value was worth and will not be returning to Sandals ever again after this experience.

Sandals Resorts Company Information