2. Travel
  3. Airlines

4.0/5 (304 ratings)

About KLM

KLM Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KLM?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about KLM?

Original review: July 23, 2021

KLM advertises that you can cancel your ticket and get a full refund at any time so long as you do it before your 1st flight. They are doing this with all tickets purchased on or before Dec 31, 2021, on account of the COVID-19 pandemic. So far so good right? Well I specifically chose KLM because of this stated policy on their website. I thought it was a good deal. So.. I had to cancel a ticket and request a "voucher" which the can supposedly be redeemed for cash. BUT once you hit cancel they tell you "Thank you for your voucher request. Due to heavy volume it may take several weeks before you receive your voucher."

In the meantime, KLM is hanging on to my cash and I don't even have a ticket anymore. I don't have flight nor do I have my cash. Basically they screwed me. Had I known it takes WEEKS to get your money back, I wouldn't have chosen KLM. I tried calling customer support and as other reviewers have said -- the experience is terrible. It's impossible to get anybody on the phone. They say to you with an automated message: "We're sorry due to heavy call volume the wait time is more than 30 minutes. Disconnecting the call now." And they hang up on you.

It's absolutely impossible to get anybody on the phone or to reach customer support. This is terrible. I am an American and American companies NEVER behave this way. This is classic for a EU company, perhaps? But they are doing business in the USA with a USA-facing sales site -- so they should raise their standards. It's a disgrace to be treated this way. They are doing a classic bait-and-switch. Had I known cancelation would be this problematic, I would have chosen another airline.

Original review: July 17, 2021

This airline does not honor what's in writing and absolute insanity to get in touch with their customer service department. On hold for ridiculous amounts of time. Three different attempts at this for approximately 30 to 45 minutes, only to hear a message that they can not take your call, then an immediate disconnect. Save yourself an enormous amount of grief and avoid KLM as we will!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I first allowed KLM to give me voucher. But now I ask for refund as I won't be travelling until voucher expired. I have a new bank account. KLM says provide bank statement. Provided. Then they say more info required. KLM says provide void cheque. Provided. Then they say more info required. KLM says get letter from old bank saying, "You are no longer a customer." Absurd. Get a letter from someone I do not do business with to say I do not do business with. What's next, blood sample? KLM is using delay tactics beyond sense. They clearly are trying their best to not pay.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I went on an international flight with KLM. My carry-on bag was taken from me at the boarding gate to be checked in and on getting to my destination my valuables had been stolen. They told me they are not liable and they will not even talk to me over the phone. The emails were very abrupt and insensitive. When I called, they never let me talk to anyone in customer service despite being on hold for over 2 hours. One time I finally reach a customer care rep, he hung up as soon as I asked for his last name or ID number. I hope no one ever has to experience this.

Original review: March 11, 2021

The Dutch government, against all laws of common sense and logic, requires an additional rapid test in addition to the PCR test, even for a transit! Stop the madness and paranoia! And KLM doesn't warn you of that, as if you were supposed to assume it and it was intuitive. Moreover, their engine exploded and we had to change flights and I was super late for business meetings!!

Original review: March 4, 2021

I was planning on flying from Johannesburg, South Africa to Amsterdam. The airline had no problem taking my money for this flight but then at check in at Johannesburg they told me that my study visa is not a sufficient reason for flying (although they previously telephonically confirmed that a study visa is sufficient to travel during COVID). The arrogant rude attitude with which they tell you that you may not board is unbelievable! Abysmal customer service. No way to treat customers. Will file a formal complaint.

Original review: March 1, 2021

When booking my outgoing flight from YEG to Newcastle, it was cancelled numerous times. I ended up getting a flight with an 11 hour layover at Schiphol. The agent told me I would be able to access a lounge to sleep. Upon arrival there were no lounges available without paying an exorbitant fee. OMISSION is a form of lying. I paid and went in to sleep. My return flight was cancelled a day before departure and KLM will NOT REIMBURSE ME FOR MY TRAIN TICKET TO LONDON OR MY ONE NIGHT STAY IN A HOTEL. They also informed me I must have a PRIVATE PCR test that cost me £400 and it ended up being useless as they also wanted an antigen test. Then my flight was cancelled and as far as I know, still is.

I will never fly with them again as I was assured that strict social distancing protocol would be enforced on the flight. People were running around, changing seats and generally polluting the whole plane if they were infected with Covid. It was ridiculous and inexcusable. The return flight cancellation was abominable and I will submit a complaint to SKYTRAX as soon as I've finished this one. The customer service agents have no idea what they are doing and I would kindly suggest that the lot of them get intensive retraining.

Regards,

Gillian

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I booked a ticket for my mom from Bucharest to Chicago. Long story short, I filled up the information 100% correctly but SOMEHOW her first name got interchanged with her last name. Of course they didn’t believe me when I called, and said I bought the ticket online and I filled up the information incorrectly. I had to send them a screenshot via email showing that I filled up the information correctly (last name under last name, first name under first name). After 30 min of waiting on hold they told me they will take care of the problem and I will receive a new ticket.

24 hours later I receive a message from them telling me I need to pay 179 euro extra if I wanted a new ticket the correct information. Again, I filled up the information correctly, they are the ones that messed up the name! I called again and waited another 30 min for someone to help me with this issue.. I still don’t have a new ticket yet and I honestly doubt I will receive one before my mom’s flight which is in 24 hours. Do yourself a favor and fly with a different airline, KLM is the absolute worst.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Company continues to sell tickets to Moscow despite the absence of regular flights between EU and Russia. Exchanging them afterwards to the vouchers. It's a completely unethical attitude towards people and actually it is a fraud. I am very disappointed about this situation.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Avoid at all costs! The worst experience of my life. KLM ruin lives! KLM are criminals. Customer service is absolutely appalling. Direct quote from KLM staff at Dubai airport 'We will sell any flights to anyone regardless of whether they can legally fly' translation: We don't care about you but we will take your $.

KLM Company Information