Continental Tires

Compare Tires

Research top Tires recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After two months of driving a new Mercedes car in New York three of four tires got flat. Nasty experience! Yes, it was unusual winter. But it does not explain the poor quality and durability of the tires. After driving for 30 years in different cars with different tires that happened for the first time. The warranty applied only for the first. I still had to pay $100 and the labor. The rest were at the customer expense. Without a doubt I went to the workshop and had all four Michelin installed. They are still as good as were after a year and a half.

I used to have Bridgestone Duelers. Terrible tires! These Continental Cross Contacts are superior in handling highway, ice and snow. And they have lasted me 40,000 miles so far, and I have enough tread left I think they will last the 50,000 mile claim. Will buy again.

We had a set of Continental tires on our new Honda CR-V and they were on new vehicle when we bought it. They were horrible. Aside from rotating the tires every 6000 miles, they wore out too soon for my liking. They lasted until 19500 miles and there was very little tread left on the tires. We replaced them with a 60000 mile Firestone tire. When new ones were installed I was informed that the alignment was within all the numbers. So the tread wear was not a result of an alignment problem.

I'm satisfied with my all weather radials. I got them for the experience, pricing, and mechanic recommendation. For the cost they are as good as virtually any other brand I've used over the last 30 years. They wear evenly and are superior in the snow and rain. I'm at 40k and I've no complaints. The tires hugs the road, are low maintenance, no dry rot, and have well-balanced performance.

The two great tire disappointments for me were the really rapid wear of my Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics and the failure of the Kumho Ecsta Sports. The Continental Extreme Contacts that I now have on my 2003 Audi A4 Quattro are replacements for a set of Kumho Ecsta LE Sports. They are the best tires I've used in the 13 years I've owned my Audi A4. It was like getting a new car when I purchased these tires, everything improved drastically, no road noise, great ride, great handling on both highway and back country road (made driving fun again), excellent tread wear performance and improved gas mileage. The Contis are truly a great tire, tracking true on the highway at high speed, and a very nimble cornering response. What not to love? And I'm at 15,000+ miles.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Continental Tires?

I'm a 74 yr. old woman who drives safely, but fast at times, and I did not want to worry about buying another set of tires in my lifetime. I live in WA state, where it is usually damp, misting, or pouring rain. These tires hold the road very well. I do not skid when starting out, or rounding a curve. They are rated the best for wet weather, which is why I bought them. I trust these tires totally. My tires have about 10,000 miles on them and I have not had any problems with them. They are not super sound proof, but I can hear conversation just fine. I had a slightly flat tire one morning, so drove to my tire store. They removed 2 nails, plugged the tire and I have now added another 3,000 miles to them. So NO blowout and they were fixable.

I have all-season touring tires rated for 70k miles. I'm at 25K miles. Though several companies make tires that fit my car, the Continental brand work! The performance is good on most terrain although, cupping can occur when tire pressure is not monitored. Some tires are so rigid that road noise and tread cupping is a certainty.

I have a set of Continental ContiProContact SSR run-flat tires on my BMW. They actually came with my car. Overall my Continental tires are all around good tire. They perform well, particularly in dry no-weather situations. They are good in the wet, though could be better, solid performance at high speeds and have good stopping distance. My only regrets are they are much too harsh, a little bit too loud, and they could last longer. My hometown has a lot of potholes and these tires haven't protected my wheels as well as other tires I've owned in the past. These simply have not been updated to compare with the competition. I will likely be buying Pirelli Cinturato or Bridgestone DriveGuards in the next few months.

Leased a new 2014 Mercedes Benz C250. Car has Continental tires. Rear tires have worn down to 2 mm with only 21,000 miles driven on the car. Rear tires are Continental Conti Pro Contact 245/40 R17 91H. With one more year on lease and this low mileage I never thought I would be buying tires. Continental advertises 60,000 mile warranty. This is way too early to wear out.

After reading the fine print though - This car has staggered tires and can't be rotated so that mileage warranty is cut in half. Of course the warranty states that wear must be even and worn out is 1.6 mm and you must show proof the tires have be rotated. My MB recommended replacing tires now for $600+ for 2 tires. He never mentioned getting % reduction from early wearing of the tire. I agree with replacement after looking at the tires and my wife complaining something doesn't feel right with the car right now. No one told us to register the tires so we didn't and I am not sure if that is an issue but everyone should be aware of that when purchasing or leasing an auto. And don't forget the rotation requirement. Bottom line I have never purchased Continental tires before and on our next lease I will ask if we have a tire option.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Tire. I just want to bring awareness. This can happen to your tire. It was extremely scary. I was going in the fast lane on the freeway. There isn't much empathy coming from Continental or Tire Rack. I'm very disappointed with how they handled this situation and hope it's not the beginning to something similar to the Firestone 2000 case. I decided to give them another chance and sent the lot back and am hoping that the next lot is okay.

Prior reviews complained of sidewall blowouts. Our Ford Focus 2015 Titanium has 19,000 trouble free miles with enough tread left for another 10,000 miles. Low Profile Tires are Problematic generally. Low profile times do not have good warranties like standard tires. I know! Who knew? No one tells car buyers this stuff. To get standard tires you need to select smaller rims so standard height tires can be installed. So, the low profile looks good, but robust wear is not possible if curbs are hit, potholes run over, or rocks or other debris clobber the tire. There simply is no enough distance for the tire to squish over common road small hazards.

Curbs struck by tires often pinch the sidewall and cause a blister or cut the tire. Too thick of sidewalls makes for a harsh ride and can reduce road grip/handling, which we will complain about as well. If rims are dented due to hitting curbs, tires will lose pressure. Rims usually have to be replaced after hitting curbs, or large potholes that damage rims.

There are different grades of Continental tires. I have purchased new cars where the tires lasted less than 18,000 miles without alignment or shock problems because the manufacturer installed the lowest priced tires possible. One other oddity about tires and dealers/manufacturers: Tires have posted pressure recommendations that may be different from the owner manual recommendations or even those posted on the door jam. Who is right? Turns out it is best to follow the tire pressures recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Oddly enough, dealers have inflated my Chevrolet Express Van tires to 35 PSI all four tires despite the recommended PSI of 55 Front and 80 (ok, can be as low as 60 rear if empty). Chevrolet Dealer inflated my tires to 35 PSI four times. I know to check tire pressure anytime I have service done now. Low or high tire pressures affect wear, handling and safety.

I leased a new 2014 Buick Encore two years ago. I live in New England with our infamous winters and potholes. Over the past year I have replaced two tires on my car. The first time was after I hit a very large pothole in the dead of winter. The tire blew like a balloon. The second time will be today, not even nine months later! I swerved to avoid hitting a cat and barely even touched the edge of the curb and POW! my second tire was gone! The side walls on these things are pure crap! In addition, there is always an issue with tire pressure - I'll put air in all the tires as needed and a week later the darn light is back on again - on all four tires! The air just seems to leak out of the tires for no reason at all.

When I spoke to a tech at my dealership, he offered sympathies - sure helps me out a lot :-(. According to him, blowouts are common on these 'low profile' tires because they are 'soft'. Unfortunately, since there's no recall on my specific tire (ContiProContact P215/55 R 18 94) there's absolutely nothing they can do for me. They've suggested that if a third tire blows, I should consider purchasing all new tires from a different brand. Yeah, ok - ca-ching. So now I'm stuck (again) paying for another doggone tire! I will never again buy or lease another car that comes with Continental tires.

I've been driving for over 20 and never had a tire blow out or issue not related to a object puncture. Recently leased a 2016 Beetle R SEL that came with ContiProContact 235/40R 19. I also purchased the driver care package, which included tire replacement, which is clearly going to pay for itself. Within 500 miles I had a bubble form in the side wall. I did hit a rather vicious pothole about a week before I noticed the bubble so I assumed that was probably the issue, tire replaced. But yesterday, car now at 9000 miles, I had a complete blowout on the freeway. No potholes were hit, no punctures in the tread, just shredded sidewalls. Never in my life have I seen this, so glad I purchased the tire coverage, but I'm quite concerned now of the overall safety of these tires.

This was an original equip on my mercedes C-300 17, 450 miles. Had a slow leak for several months. Dealer could not find the leak. Finally the dealer removed the tire from rim and the inside sidewall was separating the full circumference of the tire. Tire was never run flat and was always inflated to the correct psi. Manufacturer will not replace. Dealer will not replace. So we had to buy a new tire!

My new car is Honda CR-V 2016, which was purchased on 7/25/2016. Of course, Dealer was sure that it can keep in good shape in two months' drive with only lower than 2,300 mileage, including proper operation and maintenance, proper mounting and demounting, no repair, no ride/vibration, no alteration, weather checking and safety and maintenance precaution. The use of new car Honda CR-V 2016 is to go to and from work. The distance between home and work unit is about 10 miles. On 9/22/2016, when I went home following car flow after work with my wife as routine, about 6:30 near to my home we found rear-right tire flat. As you know, it is rush hour and heavy traffic at that time, all the front and back cars of mine drove normally but only my new car was unexpectedly flat. Luckily, this is local way. If I was on highway, it might be heavily dangerous to life safety. I can't image.

Roughly I inspected the flat tire. It showed the cross fracture. This did less occur, except for tire quality problem. I instantly replaced with spare tire and drove in sale dealer for new tire replacement on 9/24. To my extreme surprise, during this time I contacted with the continental manufacture according to sale dealer in charge of my tire replacement over three times, they always delayed and didn't take any action for my claim. It is so weird.

In just a few months, my 235/45R17 97H tires failed and I had to replace 2 of the 4 tires. Luckily my dealership paid for 1 and I paid for another (they said my alignment caused the problem). However the other 2 tires have very very loud road noise and I will likely need to replace them very soon. I keep hoping that I will see a recall notice on them! I will go back to buying Michelin's... I learned my lesson the expensive way. These tires were on my 2006 Volkswagen Passat.

I purchased a set of Continental Tires in 2013 because of a sidewall blowout on the set on Continental tires I had already purchased. I was told that the first set was dry-rotted (not sure why since I drive the car everyday) and they were not that old. My grandson was driving the car back from Chattanooga to Nashville and 30 minutes into his trip he had a sidewall blowout on the interstate. Luckily he was not hurt. There has to be something wrong with your tires that causes frequent sidewall blowouts. The tire experts at Wal-mart replaced the blown out tire and found no nail punctures or any foreign objects in the tire.

The second set of tires had 60,000 miles warranty and I when purchased I had only 28,000 miles on my car. When this most recent blowout happened I only have 38,000 miles on the car. I find this to be a very expensive and an inconvenience for both incidents. The company consider replacing the tires at full cost and not partial. I did not pay partial cost for the tires therefore that should not be an option.

I bought 4 extreme contact dsw06 tires for my 04 Subaru Forester xt. Loved them for 2 months. Being a sporty driver I rotated straight front to back. Here we go. Noted I can't keep the car straight. Checked front end. All good tire 35 psi good. Call has 4 Brand New KYB struts & a four wheel alignment Rotated back. Car fine. Crap I have 2 bad tires (radial pull) which means steel belts in tire are bad. Don't feel bad tires at norm speed. Higher speed it feels like it's windy out all the time. Need to hands on wheel to fight to stay in lane. 3 months later the other two gave out worse than the first two. If I'm not driving like Grandma car wants to pull all over the place. Feels like it's snowing and I'm on dry pavement. It hasn't been 6 months and I have to buy a whole new set of tires. Not going with Continental.

Bought a 2014 Honda Odyssey with new ProContact Continental Tires. The dealership said these were new tires. The car only had 17,800 miles on it when we purchased it. Only 3 weeks later, while driving my daughter to a field trip, my back rear tire blew out. When I pulled over to the side of the road my tire was completely shredded. I've never seen a tire so tore up before! When the tire blew out I got to the side of the road asap. I did not continue to drive on it.

I'm thankful we did not get hurt, but the tire caused damage to my car. I'm trying to figure this out with my dealership but I am worried to continue to use these Continental Tires! These are completely defective and dangerous.

I purchased a new 2016 Volvo XC90 in January. Unfortunately this vehicle comes standard with Continental Sport Track tires. After several visits back and forth to the Volvo dealer here in Syracuse NY due to excessive vibration and no real resolution, I finally decided to replace the tires with a new set of Michelin's. The difference is incredible. No vibration and the ride is exponentially better. I am convinced that despite several attempt to road force balance the Continental tires they are fundamentally flawed. The dealer was respectful but likely put in a difficult position. If Volvo is looking to revamp their line and create a new image... start with a decent... Safe set of tires.

April of this year I purchased a new Honda Civic Coupe. It came with Continental ProContact TX tires size 215/R50/17. Last week after driving 2800 miles the low pressure light came on. Checking tire pressure I found the right rear tire was 8 lbs low. I added air and 2 days later the light came on and the same tire was low. There were no visible marks on the tire. I poured soapy water on the tire and found a tiny leak in the sidewall. I took the car back to the dealer who told me it was a puncture and charged me $155,00 to replace the tire. I'm sure it was a defect as I didn't hit anything. The dealer said tires are not their responsibility. They also said good luck trying to convince Continental it's a defect. I'm considering replacing all the tires. It will cost me approx. $700, but, I'll have peace of mind.

I have a 2014 Acura MDX and a 2015 Ford Transit Van. Both came OEM with Continental tires. I had to replace both sets at 20K miles due to chipping - LITERALLY chunks falling off the tires. First NEVER buy Continental replacement tires and second ALWAYS make the dealer take them off and replace with Michelins as a condition in your new car deal. These tires are junk, pure and simple. Hope this helps!

I bought a 2015 Jeep Renegade. I had only driven the car approximately 10K miles when 1 of the tires started going flat. I aired it up and it went flat again. So I took it to the dealership where I was informed that I need to replace 2 of the tires and that wasn't covered by my extended warranty and would have to contact Continental tires. So I contacted them: The first time I was put on hold and no one ever came back on the line so after 20 minutes I gave up. I called them back the next day and they said they were going to put me on hold again and then hung up on me. I called them back a third time and they were extremely rude and told me that there was no warranty on those tires. Lucky for me when I purchased the vehicle I had bought insurance for all the tires at Discount Tires, so I went there.

They told me that 3 out of the 4 tires on the car were bad and needed to be replaced. So they were unfortunately replaced with 3 new Continental Tires. Then 2 of those went bad before the Jeep had even reached 25K miles on the odometer. They were replaced by Discount Tire again and I bought the insurance for the new tires. Now the 4 tire has blown out and my Jeep hasn't even reached 35K miles. There is no reason for a tire to be that bad and blow out at every opportunity. I will never be buying this tire again.

Did not hit or run over anything and had a massive blowout on highway on a tire that has less than 13,000 miles on it. I was able to have my dealer replace the single tire but it seems that there are numerous similar complaints. Is there another action or site I can visit/do to register my quality complaint so that this company is looked at for possible recalls? My daughter also has the same model Subaru I have and had her Continental tire bubble.

I bought a 2014 nissan altima in June of 2014. This car had Continental Tires on it. Size 205/60r/16. On August the 4th 2016 the car has 11000 miles on it and on the evening of the 4th we were exiting a ramp off the interstate and the rear drivers side tire blew. We pulled over and changed the tire and proceeded to go home.

The next day I went to the tire shop and they told me that the tire could not be repaired. I was concerned about my family safety so I told the tire shop to change all of them. 505.00. I notified the dealership who told me that I have to notify the tire company. I notified them and they told me that that was not covered under the warranty. I believe that the dealership has forgotten about how many cars that I have bought from them. Neither the tire company or the dealership want to remember me so I am going to forget them when I buy my next car. Let the buyer beware that continental Tire company does not care about anyone or anything else but your money.

I bought a 2015 Jeep Renegade. On February 6th 2016, it came equipped with Continental Tires. During my 2nd vehicle service on July 22nd (5-1/2 months later) I was told that at 15,241 kms that my tires were worn out. At first the dealership though the vehicle was misaligned but it wasn't, but they called back a short time later to say that it wasn't. I don't use the 4x4 feature except for travelling in snow due to my job, but none of the travelling is off-road. I'm waiting for a resolution, I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. At any rate, a new vehicle should never have to have its tires replaced after 15,000 kms (9380 miles).

I bought a 2014 Subaru Outback two years ago. I have been the first and only owner of this vehicle. The vehicle came with Continental Tires, size 17. Since owning the car I have taken it in a few times for losing air pressure on them tires. Two times a nail was found in a tire. My vehicle has been undergoing regular servicing and tires rotated accordingly. At my last vehicle service at barely 24,000 miles I was told I would need to replace my tires as they have lost thread badly. Three days ago I found my vehicle with one of its tires with the air completely gone.

As a result I had to take the vehicle to the nearest tire center for repairs. There I was told all my tires have to be replaced. My spare tire was put on my vehicle. I pondered on this whole situation over the weekend wondering to myself why should I have to replace all four tires on a vehicle that only racked up 24,000 miles. The lowest quote I was getting was $640.00. I got on the phone and called Subaru and spoke to them about it. I was told there is nothing they could do and I would need to contact Continental, the tire manufacturer, and they provided me with the number.

I called Continental and spoke to a rep and went over the history of my vehicle and what was currently happening with my tires. Continental took my information and asked me to take the vehicle to the Subaru dealership for the tires to be inspected and if the problems with my tires have to do with normal wear and tear then they Continental will work with me on some form of discount to get the tires replaced. The rep told me to have the dealership call them with a report. I took the vehicle into the dealership and explain the whole situation to them. The service rep told me they will take a look and she told me not to have high hopes because she has never seen Continental pay for tire replacements.

Subaru looked at the tires and the Service Rep called Continental Tires with their report on the tires. The rep came back to the waiting area and with two thumbs up told me that Continental tires has agreed to pay 40% on the cost of each of the four tires. That came to a total saving of $208.00 and I call that a sweet deal. I gave a 3 rating because even though I was happy with the sweet deal I got on the replacement of the tires, I was not so happy with the durability of the original tires on my vehicle that I have to replace at barely 24,000 miles. Most of the tire centers I contacted during this experience were all quoting me tires that were warranted for up to 60,000 to 70,000 miles. I got Continental tires back on my vehicle due to the sweet deal. I hope they last me another, at least 50,00 miles.

I purchased a 2014 F-350 Super Duty pickup 2 years ago which now has a mere 32,000 miles on it. The tires, Continental light truck - LT275/65R18 are literally disintegrating on the vehicle. I contacted the Ford dealer I purchased pickup from and per their Continental information these tires don't "hold up well" on something such as a 1-ton pickup that gets even a minimal amount of travel on non-pavement roads (gravel).

Now the tire manufacturer won't stand behind. Ford won't stand behind nor the dealer that was so accepting of over $60k for a diesel pickup and at 2 years and barely over 30k miles I get to spend yet another over $1k for tires already. Pathetic tire and pathetic customer service from all involved! If it's known a certain brand of tire is not suited for a specific type of vehicle why in the hell does the manufacturer use them on their new trucks? I will never buy this brand again and will consider other dealers on my next trade. Thanks for nothing!

In march I got a new tire, Continental Touring Contact. Yesterday driving down the road I felt a severe vibration then the tread came off as the pictures show. I had to drive to a location to change it so I didn't get all pieces of the tread. I don't know if I ran over something to cause that or it just failed from use.

Last October, I purchased a used 2009 Mazda 6 with virtually new Purecontact, 215/55R17 94V tires installed. The car initially felt like there was a small wheel imbalance, but nothing to be concerned with. By December, the vibration was becoming a bit more noticeable, so I took the car to a tire repair center thinking it was an alignment issue. They stated the car's alignment was perfect.

Two months later, the vibration was disconcerting, therefore I went back and it was reported that one tire/rim could not be balanced. I therefore purchased a new(used) rim and they were able to balance the tire/wheel combination. Within weeks, the vibration came back. As it was winter and there are good amount of pot holes in New Jersey, the fact that the other tire/rims were becoming an annoyance didn't alarm me, I just assumed the OEM rims from Mazda were the problem.

I replaced the rims in May and still had slight vibrations, but nothing like before. Two weeks later the car was once again exhibiting the severe vibrations. I finally ordered four new tires from Tire Rack, had them installed and the car is absolutely perfect. The tire service facility stated that there must be shifting belts within the tires, but as I didn't purchase them new, they had no recourse to file a warranty claim with Continental.

I asked Continental if there could be any reimbursement available for the replacement of these tires. I had saved the service receipts and have had my tire facility save the tires. I was quite annoyed at having spent over a $1,000 (new rims, alignment and multiple balance procedures) to diagnose a tire quality issue. Continental's response: "To be eligible for warranty, you will need to present a new vehicle registration form, new vehicle sales invoice showing date of purchase or proof of purchase of new tires." In this day and age I guess one can assume that tire manufacturing is a perfected art... at least not by Continental.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Continental Tire is a division of the Continental Global Corporation. In the United States, Continental Tire manufactures tires under the brand names of Continental and Uniroyal.

• Many locations: Continental Tires are sold through most major tire centers and through smaller, independent retailers.
  • Online tire search: Easily find the right tires by using the online search tool. Consumers can search by several methods, including vehicle and tire size, or browse by category such as performance tires or winter tires.
  • Online tire education: The Continental website provides in-depth tire education articles. Consumers can learn not only how to buy the right tire, but also safe driving tips and tire maintenance information.
  • ContiComfortKit: This kit is a tire inflation product, which is stored in the trunk and provides a fast and easy way to fix a flat tire. This is one of the solutions for vehicles that don’t come with spare tires. The kit temporarily repairs flats that can then be driven under 50 miles per hour for up to 125 miles.
  • Customer support: Customers can receive support directly from Continental Tire through phone or email.
  • Best for Sports car and high-end vehicle drivers, extreme performance, touring, winter, run-flats, light truck and SUV drivers and passenger vehicle drivers.

Compare Tires