2. Automotive
  3. Tires

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.19/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Continental Tires Reviews

Original review: April 20, 2020

I purchased a set of Continental winter tires in Dec.2019. While product review was good, my purchase was solidified based on their promotion of a Rebate Incentive. Almost 5 months later (mid-April 2020), I have since had the winter tires removed and yet still no rebate received from the company. Seems like a scam to me. I've tried contacting them; get the "so sorry, it takes time"; then they tell me they sent the rebate 6 weeks ago, (which I have still not received) but they will re-send; so I will have to wait another 4-6 weeks. Completely unacceptable. Regardless of how many redemptions they say they have had, no rebate should take this long to process. Very poor customer service in my books.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I purchased the Pure Contacts for my Chrysler 300. I didnt expect to get 80k out of them but 40k was a bit ridiculous. I would strongly recommend a more reasonably price 40k tire and save yourself $500 bucks. I'm truly disappointed in these tires.

Get buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2020

I just bought a 2019 Subaru Impreza last year in March and I got brand new continental tires on my car. Well a few days ago I travel to Odessa only 30 mins away. Before I leave town I check my car just to make sure everything is fine. Well I get to Odessa and I stop to get gas I see a bubble on the side of my tire on the front passenger side. It wasn’t there only a few hours ago. These tires are only a year old and I have them check with every oil change to make sure there is no nails or anything in them. It’s ridiculous these tires only got 13K on them the tread is still good on them and I make sure to avoid potholes and curbs. Continental needs to check their tires for defects cause a year old tired shouldn’t be getting bubbles.

Original review: March 25, 2020

We were on HWY 35 leaving Killeen, TX. headed to Tulsa, OK. Going 80 mph, my check tire light came on. There was nowhere to get off. A couple of minutes later we heard a boom sound and I managed to slow down and pulled to the right side. My sons (40 & 36) had to remove all our luggage. They got busy changing the tire. I called 911 because the semi trucks are not moving to the left. So I get out and walk quite a distance behind our car to direct traffic. My younger son is watching out for his brother. This was a thirty minute ordeal. I was yelling (they can read my lips) and motioning for everyone to move over. When these trucks are zooming by going 80 and 90 mph, it's scary. I was wearing a red shirt. I am a mom. My protective mode went on full force. This should NOT have happened. By the way, 911 never showed up.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Purchased a new Audi Q7 that had the Continental run flat tire. At 3000 miles, the tire exploded through the sidewall and went flat immediately. The Vehicle had to be towed to the garage and the Walser dealership could not locate a replacement so our Audi was 3 days in the shop. The dealership did not wish to contact Continental saying that Continental would not evaluate the tire fairly and contacting Continental was a waste of time.

Then, I called Continental and was told that only the dealer could advance a claim. My speed at the time of the blowout was 40 mph and I was on a city street and these tires had only been driven on turnpike and city streets. The cost of the new replacement tire was $391. Since my experience with Audi and Continental Tire, I would advise anyone to read several reviews pertaining to this inferior Continental tire product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Continental Tires?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Continental Control Contact Touring A/S size: 185/85 R 15 for Nissan Versa 2011 purchased a little bid over 3 years ago (11/2016) was a big mistake. These tires were very expensive. They suppose to have 90K miles warranty (really?) and after less than 45K miles driven they are almost ready to be replaced (tread wear down to 4). This is with very good maintenance and alignment done every single year. I never ever had to replace tires before reaching 60 miles or 4 years. Very disappointing. STAY AWAY FROM CONTINENTAL TIRES. TRY SOME OTHER BRANDS.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

In May I purchased a new 2020 Dynamax Isata 3 Motorhome that came equipped with 6 Continental Vanco Four Season LT tires. In January while I was having new valve stems installed on the dual rear tires we discovered a total (full circumference) side wall separation on the inner dual tire. I looked up the Continental Warranty and it says tire is covered for full replacement for defects during the first 12 months or 2/32" tread wear. This tire falls into those categories. BUT, my local Continental Tire dealers refused to honor the warranty because I had not purchased the tires from them and "Continental doesn't reimburse us for our expenses". One even told me that Continental requires the dealer to return the tires to Continental for inspection and if Continental not agree that the tire is covered under warranty they will refuse the reimburse dealer AND return the damaged tire to the dealer at the dealer's expense!

Dealers all told me to take it back to where I purchased the tire. I called the RV dealer that sold me the vehicle and was told that they don't warranty tires - I had to take the tire back to the tire manufacturer. I showed the dealer the email from Continental instructing me to return to where I purchased the vehicle. After referring my email to the RV Manufacturer they replied with an email instructing me to take my tire problem to Mercedes who supplied the chassis with the tires. Still hopeful, I contacted the Mercedes Customer Service Center and was told to take the tire to local Mercedes Service dealership for inspection. I contact the MB dealer and emailed photos of the tire separation and the dealer phoned back telling me it looked like "run flat" damage and wasn't covered under warranty.

Considering the tire unsafe I arranged to buy a replacement tire "at cost" from a sympathetic Continental dealer. When I had the tire removed by my preferred tire shop I asked them to reinspect the tire, inside and out. They dismounted and inspected the tire for possible road hazard or run flat. After inspection they found "spots on the inner liner that were separating and not from impact. Also the tire was not run flat at any point...the inner sidewall of the tire is starting to do it as well. The tire appears to be a workmanship and defect issue and should be covered under the manufacturer."

Note that this wasn't some one-man tire shop but an award winning regional company with 5 shops including the truck tire service center where this inspection was performed by multiple tire specialists. To date I have not had any satisfactory response from Continental Tire. Based upon my experience I would be hard pressed to recommend Continental Tires to anyone. Note that.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Just bought Model X. 2 tires popped in under 3months. In 1st issue Continental Tire sent me three times to get the tire inspected. None of the dealers knew why I was there or that they were Continental's dealers. When I put my foot down at New Millenium Tires, Continental finally sent me to Canadian Tire who sent the tire to their inspection location. I lost 3 days worth of pay for Continental's negligence. In 2nd issue, Tire had no air leak so Tesla service technician couldn't figure out why and where the air was leaking from. He eventually had to over fill the tire with air to see why the tire was not staying at 45. It popped in the service center in front of 5 people while tech was explaining to us that he has never seen something like that. With no air leaks the tire just bubbled when tech over filled it with air and popped. Tesla said tire is not under their warranty so manufacturing warranty may be my option.

I called Continental Tire support and they said Tesla should be able to cover manufacturing warranty by sending the tire back to Continental. I was lucky that the tire burst while the tech was showing me so I had enough heads that witnessed the manufacturing defect play out live. Next phase was Continental and Tesla arguing about who would send the tire back and how to get the credit for it. Tesla argued that they don't do anything with tires and I am on my own now to take it where ever I want while Continental on the phone said that Tesla has 100% full option of sending the tire back but they CHOOSE to not do so. After 1hr of arguing Tesla agreed to send it. At the moment Tesla will be sending the tire to Continental service center from where Continental would issue the rebate back to Tesla and then Tesla will reimburse me, that is if it's inspected as a manufacturing defect. I have paid $525x2= $1050 for the two issues now.

In short, Tesla is using the wrong tire for Model X. Either the 275/45/20 110V are not equivalent to X's weight or Continental's Conti Cross Contact LX Sport is a garbage tire that doesn't live up to its name/value. I understand that this can happen to anyone at any time but after driving for 30years on the same roads and never ever experiencing it with other manufacturers, it is HIGHLY UNUSUAL that the same issue happens to a car in under 3 months. At this rate, if I die due to an accident that is due to Tesla and Continental's negligence and poor quality. This review will stay as my caution to all other living beings. I cannot stress on the fact that these two companies need to look into their products before more accidents occur and may lead to fatalities. Waiting to see what sort of a response I get from both or either of them. A shocked, scared for life and highly disappointed mother of 2 young children/passengers/ consumer. #tesla #continentaltire

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

The tires are mounted on a Mercedes Benz SL 400 Roadster that was purchased new in 2015. You can’t “rotate” the tires because the front and rear tires are not the same sizes called a "split fitment" which translates to the rear tires are larger than than the front tires. The actual problem is: the tread is worn down to the belt plies and the bead filler is exposed. If you run your hand over the tread face of the tire, the steel belt plies puncture the skin! 17,563 original miles. 71-year old driver with a perfect driving record. These tires are the poorest quality I've ever seen!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

One of my continental Pro Contact tire popped on highway and I pulled over safely to the shoulder. Upon inspection, both of my rear tires has only 1-2 millimeter tread left and due to replacement. Front ones are still fine. It advertised will last 70K miles but I only put 13K miles on them in 1 and half year period. Luckily Discount Tire able to refund me more than half of the value. Many thanks to them. I put the credit towards 4 Yokohama Advan sport A/S and wish they will work better.

Continental Tires author review by Lauren Fix

Continental Tire is a division of the Continental Global Corporation. In the United States, Continental Tire manufactures tires under the brand names of Continental and Uniroyal.

• Many locations: Continental Tires are sold through most major tire centers and through smaller, independent retailers.

• Online tire search: Easily find the right tires by using the online search tool. Consumers can search by several methods, including vehicle and tire size, or browse by category such as performance tires or winter tires.

• Online tire education: The Continental website provides in-depth tire education articles. Consumers can learn not only how to buy the right tire, but also safe driving tips and tire maintenance information.

• ContiComfortKit: This kit is a tire inflation product, which is stored in the trunk and provides a fast and easy way to fix a flat tire. This is one of the solutions for vehicles that don’t come with spare tires. The kit temporarily repairs flats that can then be driven under 50 miles per hour for up to 125 miles.

• Customer support: Customers can receive support directly from Continental Tire through phone or email.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Continental Tires Company Information