Continental Tires

Compare Tires

Research top Tires recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My Leased 2015 Volvo V60 came with a set of tires from Continental that have a 60,000 mile warranty. Our lease is up next month and Volvo expects me to replace the tires which have only 29000 miles on them. Continental claims that IF I had purchased the tires I could have a 60,000 mile warranty, but since the tires were OEM we only had a 12 month warranty for a 36 month lease. Well just hoping to let others know that OEM Continental Tires are worthless. Replace them ASAP.

Continental Tires CrossContact - I had 8 flats in 25 months. The first was in 4 months caused by a gravel rock and 1 was caused by a roofing nail and 6 loss of air. These were on a new 2014 Honda CRV. Talked with dealer and contacted Continental with no interest in my problems. I had an inspection after 23500 miles and had to replace tires due to dry rot. Car is driven almost every day. It seems there should have been some adjustment by someone. Last flat tire I had was in 1994.

I have owned a Mercedes E250 for five years and am now stuck in France with a large blister on the inner side wall having already experienced two low speed blowouts on my rear tires in 2014. I am now searching for a new tire to match the one on the other side but on reading these reviews recognize that there is something clearly wrong with the quality and safety of these tires. I will have to replace all four with another manufacturers if I am to have any faith in driving this car again.

The Mercedes dealership said I should put Conti Pro Contract 245/40 on my 2008 Mercedes and my final bill for 4 new tires etc. was $1,510. I took it in on May 17, 2017 after buying them on July 16, 2016 which is 10 months of driving on them. They had been driven 4,866 gentle driving miles on them and they told me that the back tires only had 40% wear left on them! So they had told me this is the tire that Mercedes recommended.

I am retired now and don't drive my car more than 5,000 miles a year with no rain, snow or sleet weather and I don't drive fast. So this is the worst wearing tires I have ever bought and have owned many cars and many Mercedes. I would not recommend this Continental Tires to anyone and will never buy them again nor will I buy from a Mercedes dealership as when I asked them what the warranty was on the tires, as in the past from other tire dealerships pro rate the tires when they don't wear well. They told me there was no warranty and that they wore like this because the back of the car got the most wear. I went on-line and read some reviewers who had the same experience.

I have owned a BMW 3-Series since 2002. I love to drive and was instantly in love with the performance of these cars. Being a two year old car, the first thing I did was research tires and put new ones on it. I owned that car for 15 years without ever having an incident despite crazy Texas weather (and, let's face it, other Texas drivers!). This year I finally decided to buy my first new BMW. (Understand that this is not trashing BMW, just their choice of stock tire). In March we had one of our big Texas storms as I was driving on a back road to my sister's place. I was driving as I always do and being a bit cautious due to wet roads, so I was going a little under the speed limit. I have always put a lot of value on having great tires on my cars through the years, but for some reason I never thought twice about the choice of stock tire on my new car. I guess I figured their cars are so high performance that I felt confident the tires would be as well.

Driving on a road I had literally driven thousands of times, the car hydroplaned across an intersection and I slammed into a heavy iron fence. I was in complete shock, slightly injured and my new car was completely totaled. The car's safety devices had protected me, but I was so confused at how the situation could have gotten away from me in such a way that despite having never wrecked before I had just been in a one car accident which totaled my new car! Fast forward three months... I have another new BMW, of course, I mean that car saved my life! I am out driving it one day, again with the stock tires and while trying to avoid an idiot not paying attention on the road, I noticed that my 2016 car did not stop on a dime like all of my previous experience with my 2000. Something I had not really taken notice of before with all of the changes and differences in going from any 2000 vehicle to a 2016 and getting used to how it handles.

Weeks later while driving on a backroad I often drive, I went across a spot on the road that stays wet due to a natural spring that leaks across it on a bend in the road. Again, I have driven this road literally thousands of times through the years. It was a sunny, clear day and I was doing the posted speed limit (which I admit is not always the case), but having my niece with me I am extra careful. Despite my caution, this time, my car fishtailed over the wash. I was caught off guard, but ultimately recovered fine and drove on. This incident definitely made me take pause.

When I got home I started researching these stock tires that BMW was using and conveniently had pictures of the ones from my bad accident for insurance purposes. The tires on the BMW I had wrecked and the tires on the one I had just fishtailed in were the same tire, Continental ContiProContact SSR 225/45R18 91V * M * S. I was seeing lots of other people on the internet with a multitude of different high performance vehicles saying they had similar experiences with them. I have bought my tires from the same place for over 30 years, so I called them to find out for sure the type of tires I had always used on my car in the past with such great results and also inquired about this Continental tire I was having problems with now.

He confirmed my strong suspicion that, despite having "the same" tire performance ratings, users consistently complained about the Continental and that I would feel a significant difference if I switched them to the tire I had always bought in the past. Those tires are now ordered and I cannot wait to get them on my car! I issue you strong words of caution if your car has these tires on it: you cannot change them fast enough! I am definitely willing to sacrifice a few thousand miles in treadwear to stay as safe as possible on the roadways. This tire should certainly be looked at closely by Continental and get the necessary changes to prevent it from being a danger to users. Talk to your tire dealers and do your due diligence in research on the safety of your tires. It just may save your car, someone else's life, your life or the life of someone you love!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Continental Tires?

I also have a car that I bought from a dealer with Continental Tires. Two tires with bubbles in the sidewall, WTF. I have never had this issue with any other tire and I have had some pretty bad tires. Now 350.00 to replace and manufacturer does not care.

I purchased 4 new tires from the Hyundai service department at Southtowne in Newnan, Georgia on March 30, 2017. I am newly widowed and when my car was pulling, I took the car to the dealer who said I needed new tires. I asked the price and when I called the place my husband always got tires, the price was higher (turns out they were quoting a much superior tire). By May 1, 2017, I had had two blowouts on the Continental Conti Pro back tires----my first blowouts in my decades of driving.

I read review of the Continental Conti and weak side walls were mentioned over and over. I called the dealer expressing how unsafe I felt and they would do nothing except quote me an inflated price for putting on the Michelin tires my husband always had us drive on. I went to another tire place and bought the Michelins with the three ply rubber on the sidewalls. The Continental Conti Pro tire is unsafe----. Because the Hyundai service department didn't stand behind this product, I can no longer buy the Hyundai car and we own a 2011 and 2014 Hyundai Equus----cars I have always loved until this terrible tire experience. I hope no one is killed on the expressway with a blowout from these tires.

Just some background. I was a dealership technician for 10 years and service advisor for five so I have fairly solid knowledge with tires. I have dealt with dozens of consumers who created problems not the tire's "failure". I have a 2012 Mercedes E350 wagon with NEW Continental ContiProContact - 245/40R18 97H - All Season tires. I noticed driving locally my low tire light came on. Immediately pulled over as I know what driving on a low tire will do. I did not have any of the usual sidewall damage that occurs when a driver fails to stop driving on low air.

After plugging the obvious screw hole as I have done 100 times the tire failed to hold air. The tire had a pinch hole where the rim meets the sidewall. I am fumed that this brand new tire cannot be plugged due to what is clearly a common complaint with these tires experiencing blowouts, etc. There is no way I should be buying a tire other that poor design and/or this tire not compatible with car, although it states so. I have no problem accepting responsibility for my error but this is clearly a defect and I am afraid to let my wife drive an infant with tires that will so easily pinch the sidewall and be prone to blowout. Well Continental? Take a look at this tire? Do you really care about the end user?

I purchased a 2006 Mercedes E350 from Crown Motors. I was told all new tires were put on which turned out not to be true. They offered to pay for 2 and I the car owner paid for the other 2. After owning the car outright about 1 1/2 years later I had a blowout and caused the tires damage causing all the passenger airbags to deplore -- absolutely new body damage but even though front passenger tire blew out car uncontrollably veered to the right and rear tire collided with curb. I paid over $15,000 of my hard earned money and was informed by Geico the car would be totaled and Geico is charging me with a mini accident which will be held against me. If a defective tire caused all the above damage I feel it is totally unjust to blame me. I didn't drive over anything -- was not speeding -- and feel the tire company should bear the brunt of this damage.

Fortunately I was not injured and there was no body damage to the car. In fact the adjuster from Geico said the car was in excellent condition with low mileage. This is not the first Mercedes that I have owned -- in fact it's my fifth. Your tire was most definitely defective to have a blowout while doing 35 miles an hour since that was the speed limit on the road I was traveling. I strongly feel you should be accountable for this and not me -- waiting to hear your favorable response to this matter. Believe me I will not let this safety issue go -- you should own up to the responsibility of a faulty tire to cause a blowout which I have never had in all my years of driving which is since a total of at least 55+ years.

All Mercedes previously had Michelin tires and never had a problem -- not even a flat tire. How strange Continental Tires has a blowout. Again waiting to hear from you. Lost a lot of money on the purchased car and my insurance unfortunately will be increased. Would appreciate your earliest response to this matter. Thanking you in advance for this attention to this urgent message.

I purchased my car in August 201. In September 28,16 I had a knot on my front passenger tire and had to have it replaced. January 17,17 I had to replace the back driver tire. As of last Friday March 10, 17 my front driver tire has 2 knots in it. As of last night March 15,17 I have a low-pressure light for my front driver tire. Last Friday I called Continental about my tire situation and spoke with Josh (I think). He was helpful and arranged for me to get a $73 credit at discount tires making the 3rd tire purchase $208 as opposed to $349.

As of tire #3 I am $795 in. I called Continental today and spoke with Joe who after I told him I was very disappointed in their tires all he was Ok. This reiterates what I always say, customer service is not what it use to be and I will never get a car that has Continental tires on it. I feel like my brand new car is some kind of money pit. I have driven in IN my entire life and have NEVER had to replace brand new tires before in my life. It's a sad situation! As a result I have decided to replace all my tires with Firestone as not to keep having the same problem.

I have two separate incidents I wanted to report/share. Wanting to know if there was a recall on tires Continental ContiProContact 245/40R18XL 97v. I own a 2012 Mercedes e350 (4matic). All tires treads were inspected. On 2/27 at approx 8 pm my front driver side tire blew out at 60mph (outside temp approx 30 degrees) tread at 7 to 8/32. No nails no potholes. The inner sidewall of the tire blew up and the rip was about 3". Which caused damage to the rim (had to get it fixed). Thought it happens so I just replaced the tire at Discount Tires. A week later, on 3/6 the rear passenger tire blew out also on the inner sidewall while parked in the driveway between noon and 5 pm at approx 60 degrees outside temp. I drove it earlier for about 15 mins no more than 30mph (residential area), again no potholes no nail... just popped with no reason same... inner sidewall rip 3" (my tread tires in the rear were between 6.5/32 as I was told by Discount Tire rep).

The tires were nor over or underinflated. As I stated I had it inspected at Discount Tires while replacing the front one. I'm a little concerned as that would possibly mean my other 2 tires may go at any time now? Just on a side note, when the Discount Tire rep who was inspecting the tire/blow out, stated, that last month, they had 3 Mercedes' (one C class and two E class (like mine) in with same Continental tires blow outs.

So maybe it's something worth looking further into by Continental in case some of these tire needed to be recalled. Continental rep who contacted me omitted the answer to my question if tires are being/are recalled. Said no refund would be made as it was a preowned vehicle and there are exclusions because of such. So there you have it... safe tires... 1st time I own continental tires and let me assure you... the last. Please note... these are factory tires on Mercedes and VW... You think you know what you pay for buying expensive foreign car???

I replaced the wheels and tires on my Mercedes CLK350 and love the way these tires handle. Problem is the sidewalls are extremely weak. I was swerving away from a dumbass kid and hit a curb at around 20-ish mph. Doesn't seem like much for a brand new tire. But the outer wall was stripped to the wires. I barely put a ding on the wheel (which is soft anyway because it's lightweight aluminum), so there's no way I hit it as hard as looks. Fortunately the tire itself is literally brand new (less than 2,000 miles) and the warranty covers the replacement. But I have to say I'm disappointed. I'm worried now that if I hit a pothole they could blow out completely. As great as they feel, these tires can't handle the kind of rough handling my sports car was designed for. When these wear down in a few years I'll be looking into a different brand.

After two months of driving a new Mercedes car in New York three of four tires got flat. Nasty experience! Yes, it was unusual winter. But it does not explain the poor quality and durability of the tires. After driving for 30 years in different cars with different tires that happened for the first time. The warranty applied only for the first. I still had to pay $100 and the labor. The rest were at the customer expense. Without a doubt I went to the workshop and had all four Michelin installed. They are still as good as were after a year and a half.

I find these tires ride rough and are very noisy on the road. I had them on my Honda CR V and swapped them out for Michelin Defender, much smoother ride now and quieter on the road.

One of the matched set has a bad belt, which the dealer refuses to acknowledge. It should have been taken care of over a year ago. Due to their age, the only remedy is replacement.

I used to have Bridgestone Duelers. Terrible tires! These Continental Cross Contacts are superior in handling highway, ice and snow. And they have lasted me 40,000 miles so far, and I have enough tread left I think they will last the 50,000 mile claim. Will buy again.

We had a set of Continental tires on our new Honda CR-V and they were on new vehicle when we bought it. They were horrible. Aside from rotating the tires every 6000 miles, they wore out too soon for my liking. They lasted until 19500 miles and there was very little tread left on the tires. We replaced them with a 60000 mile Firestone tire. When new ones were installed I was informed that the alignment was within all the numbers. So the tread wear was not a result of an alignment problem.

I'm satisfied with my all weather radials. I got them for the experience, pricing, and mechanic recommendation. For the cost they are as good as virtually any other brand I've used over the last 30 years. They wear evenly and are superior in the snow and rain. I'm at 40k and I've no complaints. The tires hugs the road, are low maintenance, no dry rot, and have well-balanced performance.

The two great tire disappointments for me were the really rapid wear of my Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics and the failure of the Kumho Ecsta Sports. The Continental Extreme Contacts that I now have on my 2003 Audi A4 Quattro are replacements for a set of Kumho Ecsta LE Sports. They are the best tires I've used in the 13 years I've owned my Audi A4. It was like getting a new car when I purchased these tires, everything improved drastically, no road noise, great ride, great handling on both highway and back country road (made driving fun again), excellent tread wear performance and improved gas mileage. The Contis are truly a great tire, tracking true on the highway at high speed, and a very nimble cornering response. What not to love? And I'm at 15,000+ miles.

I'm a 74 yr. old woman who drives safely, but fast at times, and I did not want to worry about buying another set of tires in my lifetime. I live in WA state, where it is usually damp, misting, or pouring rain. These tires hold the road very well. I do not skid when starting out, or rounding a curve. They are rated the best for wet weather, which is why I bought them. I trust these tires totally. My tires have about 10,000 miles on them and I have not had any problems with them. They are not super sound proof, but I can hear conversation just fine. I had a slightly flat tire one morning, so drove to my tire store. They removed 2 nails, plugged the tire and I have now added another 3,000 miles to them. So NO blowout and they were fixable.

I have all-season touring tires rated for 70k miles. I'm at 25K miles. Though several companies make tires that fit my car, the Continental brand work! The performance is good on most terrain although, cupping can occur when tire pressure is not monitored. Some tires are so rigid that road noise and tread cupping is a certainty.

I have a set of Continental ContiProContact SSR run-flat tires on my BMW. They actually came with my car. Overall my Continental tires are all around good tire. They perform well, particularly in dry no-weather situations. They are good in the wet, though could be better, solid performance at high speeds and have good stopping distance. My only regrets are they are much too harsh, a little bit too loud, and they could last longer. My hometown has a lot of potholes and these tires haven't protected my wheels as well as other tires I've owned in the past. These simply have not been updated to compare with the competition. I will likely be buying Pirelli Cinturato or Bridgestone DriveGuards in the next few months.

Leased a new 2014 Mercedes Benz C250. Car has Continental tires. Rear tires have worn down to 2 mm with only 21,000 miles driven on the car. Rear tires are Continental Conti Pro Contact 245/40 R17 91H. With one more year on lease and this low mileage I never thought I would be buying tires. Continental advertises 60,000 mile warranty. This is way too early to wear out.

After reading the fine print though - This car has staggered tires and can't be rotated so that mileage warranty is cut in half. Of course the warranty states that wear must be even and worn out is 1.6 mm and you must show proof the tires have be rotated. My MB recommended replacing tires now for $600+ for 2 tires. He never mentioned getting % reduction from early wearing of the tire. I agree with replacement after looking at the tires and my wife complaining something doesn't feel right with the car right now. No one told us to register the tires so we didn't and I am not sure if that is an issue but everyone should be aware of that when purchasing or leasing an auto. And don't forget the rotation requirement. Bottom line I have never purchased Continental tires before and on our next lease I will ask if we have a tire option.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Tire. I just want to bring awareness. This can happen to your tire. It was extremely scary. I was going in the fast lane on the freeway. There isn't much empathy coming from Continental or Tire Rack. I'm very disappointed with how they handled this situation and hope it's not the beginning to something similar to the Firestone 2000 case. I decided to give them another chance and sent the lot back and am hoping that the next lot is okay.

Prior reviews complained of sidewall blowouts. Our Ford Focus 2015 Titanium has 19,000 trouble free miles with enough tread left for another 10,000 miles. Low Profile Tires are Problematic generally. Low profile times do not have good warranties like standard tires. I know! Who knew? No one tells car buyers this stuff. To get standard tires you need to select smaller rims so standard height tires can be installed. So, the low profile looks good, but robust wear is not possible if curbs are hit, potholes run over, or rocks or other debris clobber the tire. There simply is no enough distance for the tire to squish over common road small hazards.

Curbs struck by tires often pinch the sidewall and cause a blister or cut the tire. Too thick of sidewalls makes for a harsh ride and can reduce road grip/handling, which we will complain about as well. If rims are dented due to hitting curbs, tires will lose pressure. Rims usually have to be replaced after hitting curbs, or large potholes that damage rims.

There are different grades of Continental tires. I have purchased new cars where the tires lasted less than 18,000 miles without alignment or shock problems because the manufacturer installed the lowest priced tires possible. One other oddity about tires and dealers/manufacturers: Tires have posted pressure recommendations that may be different from the owner manual recommendations or even those posted on the door jam. Who is right? Turns out it is best to follow the tire pressures recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Oddly enough, dealers have inflated my Chevrolet Express Van tires to 35 PSI all four tires despite the recommended PSI of 55 Front and 80 (ok, can be as low as 60 rear if empty). Chevrolet Dealer inflated my tires to 35 PSI four times. I know to check tire pressure anytime I have service done now. Low or high tire pressures affect wear, handling and safety.

I leased a new 2014 Buick Encore two years ago. I live in New England with our infamous winters and potholes. Over the past year I have replaced two tires on my car. The first time was after I hit a very large pothole in the dead of winter. The tire blew like a balloon. The second time will be today, not even nine months later! I swerved to avoid hitting a cat and barely even touched the edge of the curb and POW! my second tire was gone! The side walls on these things are pure crap! In addition, there is always an issue with tire pressure - I'll put air in all the tires as needed and a week later the darn light is back on again - on all four tires! The air just seems to leak out of the tires for no reason at all.

When I spoke to a tech at my dealership, he offered sympathies - sure helps me out a lot :-(. According to him, blowouts are common on these 'low profile' tires because they are 'soft'. Unfortunately, since there's no recall on my specific tire (ContiProContact P215/55 R 18 94) there's absolutely nothing they can do for me. They've suggested that if a third tire blows, I should consider purchasing all new tires from a different brand. Yeah, ok - ca-ching. So now I'm stuck (again) paying for another doggone tire! I will never again buy or lease another car that comes with Continental tires.

I've been driving for over 20 and never had a tire blow out or issue not related to a object puncture. Recently leased a 2016 Beetle R SEL that came with ContiProContact 235/40R 19. I also purchased the driver care package, which included tire replacement, which is clearly going to pay for itself. Within 500 miles I had a bubble form in the side wall. I did hit a rather vicious pothole about a week before I noticed the bubble so I assumed that was probably the issue, tire replaced. But yesterday, car now at 9000 miles, I had a complete blowout on the freeway. No potholes were hit, no punctures in the tread, just shredded sidewalls. Never in my life have I seen this, so glad I purchased the tire coverage, but I'm quite concerned now of the overall safety of these tires.

This was an original equip on my mercedes C-300 17, 450 miles. Had a slow leak for several months. Dealer could not find the leak. Finally the dealer removed the tire from rim and the inside sidewall was separating the full circumference of the tire. Tire was never run flat and was always inflated to the correct psi. Manufacturer will not replace. Dealer will not replace. So we had to buy a new tire!

My new car is Honda CR-V 2016, which was purchased on 7/25/2016. Of course, Dealer was sure that it can keep in good shape in two months' drive with only lower than 2,300 mileage, including proper operation and maintenance, proper mounting and demounting, no repair, no ride/vibration, no alteration, weather checking and safety and maintenance precaution. The use of new car Honda CR-V 2016 is to go to and from work. The distance between home and work unit is about 10 miles. On 9/22/2016, when I went home following car flow after work with my wife as routine, about 6:30 near to my home we found rear-right tire flat. As you know, it is rush hour and heavy traffic at that time, all the front and back cars of mine drove normally but only my new car was unexpectedly flat. Luckily, this is local way. If I was on highway, it might be heavily dangerous to life safety. I can't image.

Roughly I inspected the flat tire. It showed the cross fracture. This did less occur, except for tire quality problem. I instantly replaced with spare tire and drove in sale dealer for new tire replacement on 9/24. To my extreme surprise, during this time I contacted with the continental manufacture according to sale dealer in charge of my tire replacement over three times, they always delayed and didn't take any action for my claim. It is so weird.

In just a few months, my 235/45R17 97H tires failed and I had to replace 2 of the 4 tires. Luckily my dealership paid for 1 and I paid for another (they said my alignment caused the problem). However the other 2 tires have very very loud road noise and I will likely need to replace them very soon. I keep hoping that I will see a recall notice on them! I will go back to buying Michelin's... I learned my lesson the expensive way. These tires were on my 2006 Volkswagen Passat.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Continental Tire is a division of the Continental Global Corporation. In the United States, Continental Tire manufactures tires under the brand names of Continental and Uniroyal.

• Many locations: Continental Tires are sold through most major tire centers and through smaller, independent retailers.
  • Online tire search: Easily find the right tires by using the online search tool. Consumers can search by several methods, including vehicle and tire size, or browse by category such as performance tires or winter tires.
  • Online tire education: The Continental website provides in-depth tire education articles. Consumers can learn not only how to buy the right tire, but also safe driving tips and tire maintenance information.
  • ContiComfortKit: This kit is a tire inflation product, which is stored in the trunk and provides a fast and easy way to fix a flat tire. This is one of the solutions for vehicles that don’t come with spare tires. The kit temporarily repairs flats that can then be driven under 50 miles per hour for up to 125 miles.
  • Customer support: Customers can receive support directly from Continental Tire through phone or email.
  • Best for Sports car and high-end vehicle drivers, extreme performance, touring, winter, run-flats, light truck and SUV drivers and passenger vehicle drivers.

Compare Tires