1.25/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 25, 2018

477 Continental Tires Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 25, 2018

I have a 2017 Ford Escape and have had 2 sidewall tire failures with less than 7,000 on the tires. Have had to purchase new tires in each instance at $270 each as sidewall issues are not repairable. No warranty.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have been trying to get some clarification on warranty for the tires that came with my new 2015 Nissan Murano and no one from Continental will clarify my issue. My vehicle has only 26,000 and I already see a big problem. With regular city driving the longest trips have been to McAllen Texas about 4 since we purchased the vehicle; since I am in the auto repair and service business, I have personally rotated the tires 4 times since June 2015. There is an average of 6.5k per rotation, must tires will last 45 to 60k miles; these tires are junk.

Not happy at all with what I see happening with the tires, I see cracks and pieces of rubber are coming off. I have contact Nissan USA and I been told that they cannot help with this issue; from the business point of view and most important the consumer, with all the complains I found, I cannot believe that vehicle manufacturers still installing Continental Tires on their vehicles. I wish it was a page where consumer can upload photos for view to justify the complain. One reply I receive from Continental via email is # **, will recommend Continental tires to a family, friends and not even an enemy if I had one... :(

Get expert buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2018

These tires (Continental Tires p215/55 R18 94H) are horrible. They are on a 2015 Buick Encore and you can't even run over a small rock without it piercing a hole in the tire. I have had the vehicle 2.5 years and I have had numerous flat tires. All could be patched because the holes have been caused by small rocks (yes, small rocks!), nails, and screws. We have two other vehicles that travel the same roads as this vehicle and they never have had a flat. When I replace these tires you better believe it will NOT be this brand!!!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Recently had to replace two Continental 245/40 R 18’s on my Audi A6 due to pothole on highway. I was cruising with traffic and understand the pothole at that speed could cause an issue but not a week and a half later my wife traveling down a side street at 20 miles an hour or less hit a small shallow pothole and now have a huge bubble on sidewall of the brand new front tire. That had just been replaced. These tires are crap! Where is the recall for these horrible products?

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have a new 2018 Ford Escape with Continental 235/45/19 tires. With only 522 miles on my vehicle I bump a curb and I have two tire blow outs. Even though the salesman led me to believe that I had all kind of warranty on the tires this is not covered. I now find out that Ford is continuing to put these tires on vehicles even though there are hundreds of complaints about this very same problem. Also shocked to find I have no "road hazard" coverage on my tires. Called Continental and they said they would probably pay for 50% of the tires. This is ridiculous. I have an SUV and the tires should have been able to handle a curb bump. I have been driving for years without so much as a flat tire than this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Continental Tires?

Original review: March 14, 2018

Purchased new 2016 Mercedes E350 with Continental "run-flats". With 5000 miles on the car I have already replaced 3 of 4 tires to sidewall bubbles. Never had a problem with any tires on any car before. Tire dealer tells me he replaces about 10 per week (Continentals), usually the low profile series. Apparently even the slightest bumps destroy these tires, especially the 40 series. Amazing there isn't a recall!!!

Original review: March 13, 2018

Too many years of driving with excellent tires to let these junkers get by without a review/warning to others... Bought a used E350 Wagon with 10K miles on it and these ContiPro tires; had gone through 4 tires by 40K miles driving the same roads with other tires which was about 1 tire-failure-per-8K-miles. Mercedes contacted me after I complained about replacing the 3rd tire in less than a year and wanted to know if I had an issue. My issue is why build such a nice car only to ruin it with bad tires? Someone mentioned ‘class action suit’ I’d be glad to join in on one but rarely do CAS actually help the consumers. In my case I had OEM tires (new car) and no warranty applies to OEM tires. But the four on the car now do have road hazard covered by the manufacturer. None of the four replacements have failed yet.

In the meantime I have my Michelin XICE3 tires on for the winter. Granted these are 245/17 tires, there’s nowhere near the issues of the ContiPro tires, driving over the same roads and through the same potholes that caused blister and blowouts on the ContiPros. (Granted there’s a slight series difference of 005 240/245 series but that’s not the issue when it comes to these excessive tire failures of the ContiPro tires.) I believe the Continental tire OEM were simply throw-away tires with defective issues slapped on the new cars as there are no road hazard warranties on OEM tires from the tire manufacturer, when applied to a new car.

Beyond the safety issue has been the extreme inconvenience of replacing so many tires in such a short amount of time, including the waste of $1200 worth of money to purchase the replacements. I noted at the dealer the last time, the 2018 wagons all had Michelins in 240/18 for the sport suspension trim, which are possibly —or hopefully— not throwaway OEM tires.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I bought a brand new 2015.5 Volvo S60 2 1/2 years ago. I have had 5 tire issues since then. Two bubbles, two nails, and one unexplained flat tire. All tires have been replaced (some twice!) at this point, and I have less than 30,000 miles on the car. Just went into Discount Tire with yet another nail in the sidewall, and they said two of the tires, that can't be more than a year old, are already down to 4/32 of tread! How is this even possible? I am changing all four tires to a different brand. Avoid Continental at all costs!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I just read a review from A of Surrey, BC on January 11 and am horrified. Yesterday while driving my 2018 Atlas with 6000 miles on it into Chicago with two of my children I had the exact same thing happen. With no warning my left front tire blew and I had only a few feet of shoulder on the left of the lane I was in to get off. The tire looked shredded. Even IL Highway Patrol who came to help us were shocked. My kids were terrified as was I - cars were zooming past us and we had absolutely no warning. I went to the dealer and they will replace the tire as a one time "courtesy" but is this safe? We could have been killed - in the left hand lane going 60 with people right on top of us. Anyone have suggestions on how to handle this? I am now afraid to drive the car.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

A full set of 4 new Continental tires was purchased about 2 years ago. Mileage is mixed between city and highway driving. Recently the car began to vibrate and pull to the left. The mechanics diagnosed the problem as one of separation and the only option was to replace it. Not only that, because the tires had approx. 22 -24,000 miles on them, it was necessary to replace 2 of them for balance, even wear, etc. The cost to replace 2 tires was $340.00. Unfortunately, warranty coverage was not available because of the mileage factor. After many years of driving, this is the first time I've encountered such a problem. It will be the last for the Continental brand -- Continental won't even be a consideration at the next replacement time.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

These tires lasted almost 10,000 miles, for a meticulous, automotive-savvy driver. Continental's technical manager (Chris) responded in good time. He informed me that the 30,000 warranty is halved if the back tire could not be rotated with the front, as is my case. I was offered a prorated credit, available IF, I returned the tires to the original dealer, AND fitted new Continentals. Given the effort of the former, and the lack of desire for the latter (burnt twice?), who would bother with that? So, this tire is designed for performance cars, and should be avoided!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

2018 VW Atlas 6100 km only with Continental Cross Contact LX sport blew up on the highway to work. Couldn't stop on the bridge so stopped on the side road to look, the sides were chewed up but rolling portion intact.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

2016 VW Jetta with Continental tires - I have had my car for 2 years and have only about 17K miles on it. I was driving on a very busy freeway yesterday when the rear passenger side tire just blew. I hadn't hit anything or run over anything so I was very surprised. Once I got home and took a look at the tire the whole inside sidewall had just disintegrated, separated and fell apart. There was rubber dust coming out of the tire and it is totally separated. I wish I could post a picture. I took the car to the dealership and was told I had compromised the tire, it was not a manufacturing defect. Bull, how could I have compromised the inside of my tire, makes no sense. I have had 4 VWs and really like them but if they can't stand behind the things they put on their cars then I won't be buying another one. My lease is up next December so guess I'll find another brand that doesn't use Continental Tires. They should be ashamed, I could have been killed!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Have about 250 miles on a set of four Conti Cross Contact LX with "Eco Plus Tech." Rah rah rah... Have them on a 2014 Honda CRV. I am retired and drive sanely, preserve my tires. Only bought these because they didn't cost much and Tire Rack reviews were 4 stars. Meh I don't think so, so far. The only criticism I have so far is a somewhat rough ride never before experienced in any tire I have bought throughout my life. The ride was rough enough I thought the driver's side front wheel was out of balance. The installer re-balanced all at my request finding two out of balance by .25 ounces. Re-balancing made no difference so I guess I have rough riding tires till they wear out.

I am going to research what makes tire ride roughly. I have never had this happen before. I think it is a quality issue during manufacturing. First time in life I feel as though I have been burned by a tire manufacturer. Harder rubber, which these do not have, will not create this problem. I have had better quality tires and not had this issue. Don't BUY Continental.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Purchased 4 Continentals a couple of years back. 3 of the 4 tires are worn to point where tire dealer says they should be replaced. With only 30,000 miles on tires rated for 90,000. On a Prius, so... yeah, no high speed driving here. Told the recommendation is to replace all 4, which they can pro-rate 3 of the tire, so only $380 out of my pocket??! Additionally, 2 of the tires look like a mountain lion has used them as chew toys!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have a 2016 Honda Odyssey, that came equipped with Continental Tires (I do not know specifics.) Just yesterday, I decided I had my final flat and replaced all 4 tires after only 23,500 miles. I have had so many nails, and various other objects in these tires. I had to go completely flat on me, and my tire pressure sensor was triggered at least monthly. I wish I had kept count of how many times, and how many patches these tires have required. I have had a nail here and there over the years, but nothing near these tires. Not to mention just about every winter morning having them go low on me enough to trigger sensor. Adios, Continental–never again!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

We own a 2015 Audi Q3 with just over 20K miles on the odometer. So far, we have had to replace 4 Continental ContiPro Contact tires (255/40/R19/100H); another tire developed a leak from a nail yesterday, and we will see if it can be patched or if it again has to be replaced (seems like they don't patch or plug tires anymore?). This is crazy, as my wife drives the car, and has not had a flat on any car in 40 years of driving. She drives carefully and slow - no high speed superhighways for her! We only have the car serviced at the dealership, and all regular maintenance is performed. The service rep says there is nothing wrong with the tires, and implies that my wife's driving is at fault. I'm not buying it. Would never purchase a Continental tire again; in fact, I am thinking of replacing all of the tires with a better brand. Disappointing, as I had Continental tires on my VW Beetles way back in the day.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I purchased a Volkswagen 2014, new from showroom. As of today, I have replaced 4 tires and last week noticed another tire was missing air. I have heard everything from bubble, my fault, I hit a side walk, our streets are bad! I have had enough! Last winter I had a blow out in a storm, on a highway with my young daughter. I was so afraid as the trucks were passing close that I literally thought we would be hit. Is this a joke? When is someone going to do something about this brand? A recall... before something really bad happens? Some dealerships say you have to replace all 4 on an SUV? Unbelievable! Never again!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I just leased a 2017 Chevy Cruze that's not even a year old and have been back to the dealer 3 time for the same tire. I have never had problems with nails or screw and now the tire can't be plugged. These are the worst tires I have ever had. Now I have to pay the dealership $142.00 to replace the whole tire. Continental needs to be sued.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

We had tires replacement at Discount Tires. Those tires are Continental Tires. After two days, we are driving on the road, all of sudden started to slide from rear tire and caused vehicle to spin out of control. The tire was bust broke, and our car flew away and hit the street sign pole and that concrete drainage ditch. The car finally stop on the turn-a-round yield area, luckily nobody got hurt, but the car was torn... We tried to contact with Discount Tires, they told us to contact with Continental, and we did. Continental took more than 3 months to get back to us, and their response was decline the claim. The tires was only two days old, and suddenly blew out on highway, Continental doesn't want to take any responsible for it. Can someone tell me what else can I do to complain this???

Original review: July 31, 2017

We have just leased a M. Benz C-300 with Continental Tires on it. My car has 629 miles on it and it developed a bubble on the outside of the front left tire. I specifically asked if there was a problem with the tires before purchase... They cited reports are explained by driver error. Going to the dealership this morning to raise some cane at West Chester M. Benz.

Original review: July 14, 2017

My Leased 2015 Volvo V60 came with a set of tires from Continental that have a 60,000 mile warranty. Our lease is up next month and Volvo expects me to replace the tires which have only 29000 miles on them. Continental claims that IF I had purchased the tires I could have a 60,000 mile warranty, but since the tires were OEM we only had a 12 month warranty for a 36 month lease. Well just hoping to let others know that OEM Continental Tires are worthless. Replace them ASAP.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Continental Tires CrossContact - I had 8 flats in 25 months. The first was in 4 months caused by a gravel rock and 1 was caused by a roofing nail and 6 loss of air. These were on a new 2014 Honda CRV. Talked with dealer and contacted Continental with no interest in my problems. I had an inspection after 23500 miles and had to replace tires due to dry rot. Car is driven almost every day. It seems there should have been some adjustment by someone. Last flat tire I had was in 1994.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I have owned a Mercedes E250 for five years and am now stuck in France with a large blister on the inner side wall having already experienced two low speed blowouts on my rear tires in 2014. I am now searching for a new tire to match the one on the other side but on reading these reviews recognize that there is something clearly wrong with the quality and safety of these tires. I will have to replace all four with another manufacturers if I am to have any faith in driving this car again.

Original review: June 19, 2017

The Mercedes dealership said I should put Conti Pro Contract 245/40 on my 2008 Mercedes and my final bill for 4 new tires etc. was $1,510. I took it in on May 17, 2017 after buying them on July 16, 2016 which is 10 months of driving on them. They had been driven 4,866 gentle driving miles on them and they told me that the back tires only had 40% wear left on them! So they had told me this is the tire that Mercedes recommended.

I am retired now and don't drive my car more than 5,000 miles a year with no rain, snow or sleet weather and I don't drive fast. So this is the worst wearing tires I have ever bought and have owned many cars and many Mercedes. I would not recommend this Continental Tires to anyone and will never buy them again nor will I buy from a Mercedes dealership as when I asked them what the warranty was on the tires, as in the past from other tire dealerships pro rate the tires when they don't wear well. They told me there was no warranty and that they wore like this because the back of the car got the most wear. I went on-line and read some reviewers who had the same experience.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I have owned a BMW 3-Series since 2002. I love to drive and was instantly in love with the performance of these cars. Being a two year old car, the first thing I did was research tires and put new ones on it. I owned that car for 15 years without ever having an incident despite crazy Texas weather (and, let's face it, other Texas drivers!). This year I finally decided to buy my first new BMW. (Understand that this is not trashing BMW, just their choice of stock tire). In March we had one of our big Texas storms as I was driving on a back road to my sister's place. I was driving as I always do and being a bit cautious due to wet roads, so I was going a little under the speed limit. I have always put a lot of value on having great tires on my cars through the years, but for some reason I never thought twice about the choice of stock tire on my new car. I guess I figured their cars are so high performance that I felt confident the tires would be as well.

Driving on a road I had literally driven thousands of times, the car hydroplaned across an intersection and I slammed into a heavy iron fence. I was in complete shock, slightly injured and my new car was completely totaled. The car's safety devices had protected me, but I was so confused at how the situation could have gotten away from me in such a way that despite having never wrecked before I had just been in a one car accident which totaled my new car! Fast forward three months... I have another new BMW, of course, I mean that car saved my life! I am out driving it one day, again with the stock tires and while trying to avoid an idiot not paying attention on the road, I noticed that my 2016 car did not stop on a dime like all of my previous experience with my 2000. Something I had not really taken notice of before with all of the changes and differences in going from any 2000 vehicle to a 2016 and getting used to how it handles.

Weeks later while driving on a backroad I often drive, I went across a spot on the road that stays wet due to a natural spring that leaks across it on a bend in the road. Again, I have driven this road literally thousands of times through the years. It was a sunny, clear day and I was doing the posted speed limit (which I admit is not always the case), but having my niece with me I am extra careful. Despite my caution, this time, my car fishtailed over the wash. I was caught off guard, but ultimately recovered fine and drove on. This incident definitely made me take pause.

When I got home I started researching these stock tires that BMW was using and conveniently had pictures of the ones from my bad accident for insurance purposes. The tires on the BMW I had wrecked and the tires on the one I had just fishtailed in were the same tire, Continental ContiProContact SSR 225/45R18 91V * M * S. I was seeing lots of other people on the internet with a multitude of different high performance vehicles saying they had similar experiences with them. I have bought my tires from the same place for over 30 years, so I called them to find out for sure the type of tires I had always used on my car in the past with such great results and also inquired about this Continental tire I was having problems with now.

He confirmed my strong suspicion that, despite having "the same" tire performance ratings, users consistently complained about the Continental and that I would feel a significant difference if I switched them to the tire I had always bought in the past. Those tires are now ordered and I cannot wait to get them on my car! I issue you strong words of caution if your car has these tires on it: you cannot change them fast enough! I am definitely willing to sacrifice a few thousand miles in treadwear to stay as safe as possible on the roadways. This tire should certainly be looked at closely by Continental and get the necessary changes to prevent it from being a danger to users. Talk to your tire dealers and do your due diligence in research on the safety of your tires. It just may save your car, someone else's life, your life or the life of someone you love!!!

Original review: May 10, 2017

I also have a car that I bought from a dealer with Continental Tires. Two tires with bubbles in the sidewall, WTF. I have never had this issue with any other tire and I have had some pretty bad tires. Now 350.00 to replace and manufacturer does not care.

Original review: May 6, 2017

I purchased 4 new tires from the Hyundai service department at Southtowne in Newnan, Georgia on March 30, 2017. I am newly widowed and when my car was pulling, I took the car to the dealer who said I needed new tires. I asked the price and when I called the place my husband always got tires, the price was higher (turns out they were quoting a much superior tire). By May 1, 2017, I had had two blowouts on the Continental Conti Pro back tires----my first blowouts in my decades of driving.

I read review of the Continental Conti and weak side walls were mentioned over and over. I called the dealer expressing how unsafe I felt and they would do nothing except quote me an inflated price for putting on the Michelin tires my husband always had us drive on. I went to another tire place and bought the Michelins with the three ply rubber on the sidewalls. The Continental Conti Pro tire is unsafe----. Because the Hyundai service department didn't stand behind this product, I can no longer buy the Hyundai car and we own a 2011 and 2014 Hyundai Equus----cars I have always loved until this terrible tire experience. I hope no one is killed on the expressway with a blowout from these tires.

Original review: April 2, 2017

Just some background. I was a dealership technician for 10 years and service advisor for five so I have fairly solid knowledge with tires. I have dealt with dozens of consumers who created problems not the tire's "failure". I have a 2012 Mercedes E350 wagon with NEW Continental ContiProContact - 245/40R18 97H - All Season tires. I noticed driving locally my low tire light came on. Immediately pulled over as I know what driving on a low tire will do. I did not have any of the usual sidewall damage that occurs when a driver fails to stop driving on low air.

After plugging the obvious screw hole as I have done 100 times the tire failed to hold air. The tire had a pinch hole where the rim meets the sidewall. I am fumed that this brand new tire cannot be plugged due to what is clearly a common complaint with these tires experiencing blowouts, etc. There is no way I should be buying a tire other that poor design and/or this tire not compatible with car, although it states so. I have no problem accepting responsibility for my error but this is clearly a defect and I am afraid to let my wife drive an infant with tires that will so easily pinch the sidewall and be prone to blowout. Well Continental? Take a look at this tire? Do you really care about the end user?

Original review: March 31, 2017

I purchased a 2006 Mercedes E350 from Crown Motors. I was told all new tires were put on which turned out not to be true. They offered to pay for 2 and I the car owner paid for the other 2. After owning the car outright about 1 1/2 years later I had a blowout and caused the tires damage causing all the passenger airbags to deplore -- absolutely new body damage but even though front passenger tire blew out car uncontrollably veered to the right and rear tire collided with curb. I paid over $15,000 of my hard earned money and was informed by Geico the car would be totaled and Geico is charging me with a mini accident which will be held against me. If a defective tire caused all the above damage I feel it is totally unjust to blame me. I didn't drive over anything -- was not speeding -- and feel the tire company should bear the brunt of this damage.

Fortunately I was not injured and there was no body damage to the car. In fact the adjuster from Geico said the car was in excellent condition with low mileage. This is not the first Mercedes that I have owned -- in fact it's my fifth. Your tire was most definitely defective to have a blowout while doing 35 miles an hour since that was the speed limit on the road I was traveling. I strongly feel you should be accountable for this and not me -- waiting to hear your favorable response to this matter. Believe me I will not let this safety issue go -- you should own up to the responsibility of a faulty tire to cause a blowout which I have never had in all my years of driving which is since a total of at least 55+ years.

All Mercedes previously had Michelin tires and never had a problem -- not even a flat tire. How strange Continental Tires has a blowout. Again waiting to hear from you. Lost a lot of money on the purchased car and my insurance unfortunately will be increased. Would appreciate your earliest response to this matter. Thanking you in advance for this attention to this urgent message.

Continental Tires expert review by Lauren Fix

Continental Tire is a division of the Continental Global Corporation. In the United States, Continental Tire manufactures tires under the brand names of Continental and Uniroyal.

• Many locations: Continental Tires are sold through most major tire centers and through smaller, independent retailers.

• Online tire search: Easily find the right tires by using the online search tool. Consumers can search by several methods, including vehicle and tire size, or browse by category such as performance tires or winter tires.

• Online tire education: The Continental website provides in-depth tire education articles. Consumers can learn not only how to buy the right tire, but also safe driving tips and tire maintenance information.

• ContiComfortKit: This kit is a tire inflation product, which is stored in the trunk and provides a fast and easy way to fix a flat tire. This is one of the solutions for vehicles that don’t come with spare tires. The kit temporarily repairs flats that can then be driven under 50 miles per hour for up to 125 miles.

• Customer support: Customers can receive support directly from Continental Tire through phone or email.

• Best for: Sports car and high-end vehicle drivers, extreme performance, touring, winter, run-flats, light truck and SUV drivers and passenger vehicle drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Continental Tires Company Information