2.15/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

498 Continental Tires Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Purchased a 2018 Kia Rio on April 24, 2018. Continental Tires came factory installed on the vehicle. Fast forward ONE month to May 2018, and rear tire sidewall splits in 3 places. Tires and vehicle had less than 3000 miles on it. Now it's August 2018, and yet another of the factory tires went flat. Just peeled apart on the highway. So, two brand new times that came factory installed on a brand new vehicle just fell apart. As for warranty... Forget it. You can make 5 calls, talk to 5 people and get 5 different answers... And none will help you. Their warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on, and the tires are complete junk imports from China. There needs to be a recall before someone gets killed by these tires failing.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought a new Maxima 18 months ago and was just now outside San Antonio on an Interstate Highway and had a blowout on the left rear ProContact Continental tire, Standard Load Radial 245-R18. Tire peeled off the rim, almost instantly, and left a thin rubber strip on the inside and outside of the wheel rim. The strip protected the rim fairly well but I am now very nervous about the other three tires. Also, the lug wrench would not remove the lug nuts and the nuts actually stripped the wrench! Dealer was of no help and directed me to Continental. Continental's representative was of no help.

My Maxima has been driven very conservatively for 10,600 miles and I do not understand how a tire can fail so easily, especially since the tire has had no known abuse what-so-ever. I am considering purchase of another brand of four tires to replace the three original tires plus the replacement for the blowout. What a fine how-do-you-do from Continental. PS - Ambient air temperature was 102 degrees F.

Get expert buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I purchased a brand new 2017 Malibu Premier. It now has 3078 miles on it and has been parked in the garage pending GM authorizing replacement of the factory installed P245/40R/19 Continental Tires. The tires put out very loud road noise on various surfaces that can't be drowned out by the Bose Stereo. This is very annoying for a top of the line car like this. I told dealer that I wanted these replaced with Michelins and after almost a month GM has agreed to do this. I would not put these Continental tires on a clunker, period.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Had a blowout @ 70 mph. Carried tire to dealer and he laughed at me. Approx. 8 thousand miles on tire. I finally figured out what caused damage. This was 2007.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had a tire shred on my Nissan Armada truck. The vehicle only had 8300 miles on it. I was going f a bit fast and I was on a long distance trip but gave no warning, just unraveled.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Continental Tires?

Original review: June 25, 2018

Bought a new Malibu Chevy 2017. Had to buy a new tire 245/40 R19 9W M&S. It got a bubble on the side wall front drivers side. So I got a temp tire, until I could purchase another new tire. Put it in the back and pulled a back, to the front 2 weeks ago, and now the second Continental tire has a bigger bubble on the side wall of the front drivers side. The cheap tire I bought as a temp in till I could get the new Continental tire is good so now I need another and at the price they charge, who could afford it? Terrible, what are you going to do about your tires Continental? How about a recall?

Original review: June 25, 2018

The tires came with the new car. They are great on the road and not noisy like other tires. When I have them balanced and rotated, the service man says there is very little wear and they are wearing evenly.

Original review: June 24, 2018

The TrueContact tires tread life only lasted 26,000 miles. I purchased them in Jan 2016 and had to replace them in November 2017. During the 22 months I had tires I had to replace one that bursted during my short trip (Warranty in effect) to the grocery store. Bad tires all around. I only received a mear $125 dollars for three tires that had approximately 26,000 total use.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Hard to say on the durability part because I just purchased them. I purchased the crossovers for my Dodge Dakota. Really grips the road. At 85mph there’s no shimmy at all.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased a new C300 Mercedes. After two years of local driving and 11,000 miles, the tires have 1/32 tread wear left. That means they are essentially bald. In my opinion, not a very good tire. If a tire cant last 25-35,000 miles, it's a waste of money. Continental should be embarrassed, what poor product. I should add the dealer said "it's typical of their tire..." Nice job Mercedes. Put a crappy tire on your cars and let the consumers pay for it.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Does well in wet pavement, and in snow, quiet running. Handles curves and cornering very well. Very SMOOTH driving and road handling. Never been a problem.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Continental tires came on my 2005 Chrysler 300Cc when I bought it new. When I got it I was 75. Had it up to 100 one time to see what she could do and it still had plenty pedal. When it showed 14000 miles tires were junk. Tried to get them to make it right and they wouldn't do anything. Continental was junk too. Thanks for the chance to tell my story. The so called manufacturer does not know what customer service is. If anyone is interested in tires stay as far away from that outfit for your own good!!!

Original review: June 19, 2018

Best tires I ever bought, I am so glad that I did, very dependable and durable!! The warranty is awesome and I would definitely buy them again but probably won't have to for a long while!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

The tires are uncomfortable ride, they don’t last for the warranty. I will never accept a vehicle that has Continental brand. Do not buy.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Would like the tires to be a bit better traction in snow - a more aggressive tread. Other than that, they are pretty long wearing. About 30k so far and still around 8/32 remaining.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My 2017 Toyota Tundra came with Continental tires and I had two flats and actually had as close to a blowout in the front right tire as a tubeless tire can get. It went down so fast at 70 mph I just got off the highway in time. The tire was shredded and it was totally unexpected and a bit scary. Dealer who replaced it (to match others) had to order it in because he said he would not stock them due to similar issues in the past. I now have Michelin’s without any issues.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Have nothing good to say about these tires. The big three American auto companies use these tires on their trucks, SUV and car and the tires never last the mileage they were rate wear.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Great tire that's good in rain and for dry traction. Not as good on snow but I bought it for mostly wet and dry weather and not for winter. It's also a great handling tire in turns.

Original review: June 12, 2018

22500 miles still have 7-8 10’s on them. Large luxury SUV in all types of weather. Snow, Ice, Rain and dry surfaces. Minnesota weather is not good for any tires.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I bought a new 2016 Honda Odyssey and they had Continental Tires with the car. With 16k miles, the tire started dry rooted and started cracking from the thread. The warranty is not covering the price for new tires. Honda is forcing Continental to give the warranty and cover the cost but they won't pay for new tires as the car has warranty. I would never buy any Continental tire again and let my friend and family know about this...

Original review: June 5, 2018

Continental ProContact - Original tires on brand new 2015 Volkswagen Sportwagen Diesel TDI. Lasted maybe 20-25K. After 30K had to replace all four tires. Triggered auto-sensor pressure loss warning sporadically. No fix. Wore down extremely quickly. Good riddance; never again.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have a 2017 Ford Escape and have had 2 sidewall tire failures with less than 7,000 on the tires. Have had to purchase new tires in each instance at $270 each as sidewall issues are not repairable. No warranty.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have been trying to get some clarification on warranty for the tires that came with my new 2015 Nissan Murano and no one from Continental will clarify my issue. My vehicle has only 26,000 and I already see a big problem. With regular city driving the longest trips have been to McAllen Texas about 4 since we purchased the vehicle; since I am in the auto repair and service business, I have personally rotated the tires 4 times since June 2015. There is an average of 6.5k per rotation, must tires will last 45 to 60k miles; these tires are junk.

Not happy at all with what I see happening with the tires, I see cracks and pieces of rubber are coming off. I have contact Nissan USA and I been told that they cannot help with this issue; from the business point of view and most important the consumer, with all the complains I found, I cannot believe that vehicle manufacturers still installing Continental Tires on their vehicles. I wish it was a page where consumer can upload photos for view to justify the complain. One reply I receive from Continental via email is # **, will recommend Continental tires to a family, friends and not even an enemy if I had one... :(

Original review: March 29, 2018

These tires (Continental Tires p215/55 R18 94H) are horrible. They are on a 2015 Buick Encore and you can't even run over a small rock without it piercing a hole in the tire. I have had the vehicle 2.5 years and I have had numerous flat tires. All could be patched because the holes have been caused by small rocks (yes, small rocks!), nails, and screws. We have two other vehicles that travel the same roads as this vehicle and they never have had a flat. When I replace these tires you better believe it will NOT be this brand!!!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Recently had to replace two Continental 245/40 R 18’s on my Audi A6 due to pothole on highway. I was cruising with traffic and understand the pothole at that speed could cause an issue but not a week and a half later my wife traveling down a side street at 20 miles an hour or less hit a small shallow pothole and now have a huge bubble on sidewall of the brand new front tire. That had just been replaced. These tires are crap! Where is the recall for these horrible products?

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have a new 2018 Ford Escape with Continental 235/45/19 tires. With only 522 miles on my vehicle I bump a curb and I have two tire blow outs. Even though the salesman led me to believe that I had all kind of warranty on the tires this is not covered. I now find out that Ford is continuing to put these tires on vehicles even though there are hundreds of complaints about this very same problem. Also shocked to find I have no "road hazard" coverage on my tires. Called Continental and they said they would probably pay for 50% of the tires. This is ridiculous. I have an SUV and the tires should have been able to handle a curb bump. I have been driving for years without so much as a flat tire than this.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Purchased new 2016 Mercedes E350 with Continental "run-flats". With 5000 miles on the car I have already replaced 3 of 4 tires to sidewall bubbles. Never had a problem with any tires on any car before. Tire dealer tells me he replaces about 10 per week (Continentals), usually the low profile series. Apparently even the slightest bumps destroy these tires, especially the 40 series. Amazing there isn't a recall!!!

Original review: March 13, 2018

Too many years of driving with excellent tires to let these junkers get by without a review/warning to others... Bought a used E350 Wagon with 10K miles on it and these ContiPro tires; had gone through 4 tires by 40K miles driving the same roads with other tires which was about 1 tire-failure-per-8K-miles. Mercedes contacted me after I complained about replacing the 3rd tire in less than a year and wanted to know if I had an issue. My issue is why build such a nice car only to ruin it with bad tires? Someone mentioned ‘class action suit’ I’d be glad to join in on one but rarely do CAS actually help the consumers. In my case I had OEM tires (new car) and no warranty applies to OEM tires. But the four on the car now do have road hazard covered by the manufacturer. None of the four replacements have failed yet.

In the meantime I have my Michelin XICE3 tires on for the winter. Granted these are 245/17 tires, there’s nowhere near the issues of the ContiPro tires, driving over the same roads and through the same potholes that caused blister and blowouts on the ContiPros. (Granted there’s a slight series difference of 005 240/245 series but that’s not the issue when it comes to these excessive tire failures of the ContiPro tires.) I believe the Continental tire OEM were simply throw-away tires with defective issues slapped on the new cars as there are no road hazard warranties on OEM tires from the tire manufacturer, when applied to a new car.

Beyond the safety issue has been the extreme inconvenience of replacing so many tires in such a short amount of time, including the waste of $1200 worth of money to purchase the replacements. I noted at the dealer the last time, the 2018 wagons all had Michelins in 240/18 for the sport suspension trim, which are possibly —or hopefully— not throwaway OEM tires.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I bought a brand new 2015.5 Volvo S60 2 1/2 years ago. I have had 5 tire issues since then. Two bubbles, two nails, and one unexplained flat tire. All tires have been replaced (some twice!) at this point, and I have less than 30,000 miles on the car. Just went into Discount Tire with yet another nail in the sidewall, and they said two of the tires, that can't be more than a year old, are already down to 4/32 of tread! How is this even possible? I am changing all four tires to a different brand. Avoid Continental at all costs!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I just read a review from A of Surrey, BC on January 11 and am horrified. Yesterday while driving my 2018 Atlas with 6000 miles on it into Chicago with two of my children I had the exact same thing happen. With no warning my left front tire blew and I had only a few feet of shoulder on the left of the lane I was in to get off. The tire looked shredded. Even IL Highway Patrol who came to help us were shocked. My kids were terrified as was I - cars were zooming past us and we had absolutely no warning. I went to the dealer and they will replace the tire as a one time "courtesy" but is this safe? We could have been killed - in the left hand lane going 60 with people right on top of us. Anyone have suggestions on how to handle this? I am now afraid to drive the car.

Continental Tires expert review by Lauren Fix

Continental Tire is a division of the Continental Global Corporation. In the United States, Continental Tire manufactures tires under the brand names of Continental and Uniroyal.

• Many locations: Continental Tires are sold through most major tire centers and through smaller, independent retailers.

• Online tire search: Easily find the right tires by using the online search tool. Consumers can search by several methods, including vehicle and tire size, or browse by category such as performance tires or winter tires.

• Online tire education: The Continental website provides in-depth tire education articles. Consumers can learn not only how to buy the right tire, but also safe driving tips and tire maintenance information.

• ContiComfortKit: This kit is a tire inflation product, which is stored in the trunk and provides a fast and easy way to fix a flat tire. This is one of the solutions for vehicles that don’t come with spare tires. The kit temporarily repairs flats that can then be driven under 50 miles per hour for up to 125 miles.

• Customer support: Customers can receive support directly from Continental Tire through phone or email.

• Best for: Sports car and high-end vehicle drivers, extreme performance, touring, winter, run-flats, light truck and SUV drivers and passenger vehicle drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Continental Tires Company Information

1830 MacMillan Park Dr.
Fort Mill
SC
www.continentaltire.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business