2. Solar Energy

3.4/5 (260 ratings)

About Sunrun

Sunrun sells and leases customized residential solar energy systems and its Brightbox battery storage service in 20 states. Customers can own or lease a system with $0 down. Sunrun offers free energy consultations and quotes. Over 250,000 homes across the U.S. have gone solar with Sunrun, according to the company.

Pros

• Flexible payment options
    • Daily system monitoring
    • Warranty with complete coverage

Cons

• Limited price transparency
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Sunrun offers personalized home solar energy system design, with the option to lease or purchase with monthly payments. Customers are generally satisfied with their solar systems, but some say the initial cost was high.

Sunrun Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Great experience and would highly recommend Sunrun to anyone. Sales rep was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions. Installer were on time and did a great job working through the install process. After the system was installed Sunrun worked quickly to get my new system tuned on by my Utility. Great great company!

Sunrun response

You brightened our day, Luke! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

The Sunrun installation crew put several holes thru the face of my new designer roof shingles for their harnesses voiding the manufacturer’s 50 year roof warranty, then put globs of white caulk on a brown roof as a repair. It looks hideous. The supervisor came and made excuse after excuse. They left with no resolution. I spoke with four people at Sunrun to no avail. I now have to pay to replace the damaged shingles.

Sunrun response

Oh no, Dellene! We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! We will have a representative send you a private message. Thank you for your communication.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

My experience with SUNRUN solar has been a very good one, from the salesperson to the installation team, everyone has been very professional and concerned about me and my wife being happy with the system. We are! I will recommend SUNRUN to anyone who uses electricity.

Sunrun response

This is awesome, Laverne! Your positive feedback is like a ray of sunshine to us. We're so happy we could guide you through your solar experience. Thanks for choosing us!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I am happy with my system but the install was a nightmare. I signed my contract on 9/30 and my system wasn't live until the middle of April. The plans were drawn incorrectly, so they had to be resubmitted. By the time they were accepted, Tesla batteries were out of stock. Once the system was completed, the PG&E submission wasn't completed. I was told that it was delayed 4-6 weeks because of the pandemic. When I demanded to speak with a supervisor, they admitted that it hadn't been submitted until that day.

Sunrun response

We're sorry there was an issue with your install, Lisa. But we're glad you're happy with your system. Thank you so much for being part of our Sunrun family!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I was very impressed with the technical knowledge of the sales staff and the project manager and they explained everything with ideal level of detail. Time between signed contract and installation was very short. Installers were able complete installation in 1 day. One of the two battery required an RMA and took multiple site visits and months' wait for replacement battery to be shipped.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Nick did an excellent job inspecting the roof leak. He was courteous, professional, punctual and explained everything. I felt like you guys took our concern seriously and now we are still waiting for you guys to schedule him to do the repair work.

Sunrun response

Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us, Epi. Thanks for doing your part by helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I installed the solar system with your company and I was paying $300 before the system. Now I'm paying still $300 plus the loan. I called more than 20 times. No respond. Very bad customer service. Unhappy with the system. I'm going to keep reading you like this until somebody calls me. You have my information. I hope I hear from you guys. Next step I'm going back to Costco.

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Sam. We definitely want you to experience all the benefits of solar. We will have a representative send you a private message. Thank you for your communication.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Price is reasonable and can do any work at any time of the day. No need to scared of the hours that the price is high or low. Very happy with the Sunrun. All of my family friend and relatives are customers of Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for being part of our Sunrun family!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Sales process was efficient, installation process was efficient, activation process took some patience but got done. The monitoring of the system leaves a little to be desired. We have the Sunrun app set up on our cell phone. That gives us a reading of the daily generation of power that we like to look at. However, we do not know if the system is the most efficient it can be. Also. we can not see any information on what the inverter is doing. Information is very key to being happy with the system.

Sunrun response

Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us, Sharon. Thanks for doing your part by helping us create a planet run by the sun! If you have any concerns about your system performance, please feel free to email us at customerreply@sunrun.com or live chat us from your MySunrun account.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Was happy, but a couple months after getting my solar up and running, received Emails from Sunrun requesting latest bill and the informed I wasn’t with the right type of plan with my electric company. I needed to change plans. I was not informed about this prior to getting my service. It was a bit of an unexpected hassle. Requested to be called to get an explanation and never got a callback. I also recently refinanced my home and found that Sunrun has a lien on my home. I didn’t know about this and was not told there would be a lien.

Sunrun response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Charles. We'd be happy to look into this for you. We will have a representative send you a private message. Thank you for your communication.

Sunrun Company Information