2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.49/5

Sunrun's solar systems and Brightbox battery give you more than savings — they also give you control of your electricity, letting you save power on sunny days to use when it’s cloudy or raining. Sunrun strives to be the easiest and smartest way to join the clean energy revolution, and the company guides you through installation and your next 25 years of superior solar and battery performance.

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (5)

Sunrun Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I started shopping around for solar, and after a visit to Costco learned of SunRun. Though I preferred a local company, I decided to go with SunRun since the perks with Costco seemed quite good. Long story short, after I went through all of the motions with SunRun, they decided to cancel the contract after weeks working with them, and after they had me apply for a solar loan. Their reasoning was that my home is at 'too high of an altitude', which they knew from the get-go.

The irony is, my solar gain is quite nice due to the elevation. Anyway, the reason I'm writing this review is because those weeks I spent working with them ended up pushing me past the deadline to get everything installed this year with any other local company. SunRun's failure to be up-front with me from the beginning is now costing me money in a lessened Federal Tax Credit. Furthermore, they were dishonest and said they had other customers in my area, which is untrue if they can't install at my elevation. Lastly, I had a transaction appear on my account from the solar loan, even though they cancelled the contract. Bottom line is, I cannot recommend this company.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

Since having the panels installed, it's been a nightmare. It was almost 4 months before the installation even began. Had to have technicians come out a couple of times, and each time they blew out power strips, circuit panel on our oven, our house phone, and the box that attached to our dish for cable. Went out to see what they were doing the second visit, and the inverter box was smoking. I kicked them off my property before I lost my house. Had to hire an electrician to check the wiring, and I have the report of everything Sunrun's technicians did wrong.

The electrician went into my attic to check things, and the panels were improperly installed for the type of roof I have, and went on to tell me in a high wind they possibly could blow off the roof, and they were too close together. It is a fire hazard. Sunrun had reimbursed us for what we had to replace but they also said they would send out a technician and supervisor to see why we are not sending to the grid. Today, Oct 25th 2020 I was told we are 100 percent producing and it would cost us 95.00 an hour to have our system checked. According to our electric company they aren't receiving anything from our panels, and we aren't benefiting from our panels either. I wish this company would take their garbage off our roof and close shop and disappear.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

As soon as we install the service, we start with the problems with roof damage, this is more than 4 years ago. We have contacted Customer Service by phone, email and no one shown their face solving our problem, they're just ignoring us when we ask for answer or help. But, when for obvious reasons the bill is not paid on time, they flood you with letters, emails, threatening to deactivate the service. My questions are we don't have legal help to protect us and get the attention solving the damages done by the incapable one who install the panels?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

System worked well for the first year, and I was happy to see my total bill for a year from the power company was about $5. However, the system stopped reporting productivity in early June, after about 14 months, and in July I had a bill from the local power company that was equal to what I had paid before going solar. I monitor production, and sometimes, in bright sun, it works, sometimes not. A guy came out after a few months, confirmed that the system was malfunctioning, did nothing else. I have phoned and emailed Sunrun several times, to no avail. Once they told me I would hear from the technicians in Denver within five days, but they never contacted me. SunRun, when I call, acknowledges a problem and tries to connect me with maintenance, but the transfer never goes through. They tell me to try early in the morning, but how can that work when even internally they cannot connect?

Their website makes it impossible for you to contact the service department directly. Meanwhile, they are getting more threatening about my non-payments. So, let's say they finally fix the problem. I will have lost all the production from the Summer months, when the system over-produces, and will now be faced with paying SunRun and the local power company through the Winter, since I haven't banked any kw-hrs. I wish there was someone at SunRun I could talk to to reach a solution, but I see others posts on this forum that indicate that even a contact with the CEO doesn't yield any results. I am at my wits end, and have reconciled myself to the fact that SunRun will likely just ruin my credit rating due to their poor service. Environmentally, I feel I did the right thing but am now paying dearly for that. I would advise anyone to stay away from this company.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

We have been having issues with our inherited solar panels since we moved in just over a year ago. We initially got a call from Sunrun last October (2019) to check on our solar panels. They told us we were producing less electricity than expected. They visited us in November, and the technician informed us that since the system was an older model, we would have to be serviced by a company called Trinity Solar. Trinity got in contact with us in December and scheduled a repair appointment for the end of the month. They were a no call no show. We called and left a message reporting this and received a call back at the end of January. As we were not available on weekdays at that point, the representative stated she would get us a weekend appointment and call us back. There was no call back.

We emailed Sunrun in February and let them know of the issues with Trinity. We finally managed to get an appointment for April for the repairs, but then COVID-19 happened, and the appointment got cancelled. In July, we got an appointment with Sunrun to replace our meter, which was malfunctioning, and so I brought up our previous issue with a technician that came out. He took a quick look at our system, verified our previous issue (we are producing approximately 1/4-1/2 the electricity we should be), and called his supervisor. Apparently our case had been closed, even though the issue had never been resolved. The supervisor re-opened the case, and told us to expect a follow up soon. After waiting two weeks with no contact, we called Sunrun at the beginning of August to check on the update. The representative said that our parts were in shipment, and that we should expect a email to create an appointment in two weeks or so.

It has now been eight weeks since that last call/contact, and 12 months since we were first alerted to the problem. I understand that coronavirus caused a great delay, but even without counting those seven months, that means that our problem still has not been fixed for at least five months of regular operating hours. Although every contact I’ve had with Sunrun has been polite and professional, there is no follow up with this company, promises are broken, and any issue will take forever to fix. I would not recommend Sunrun.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

We are trying to contact Sunrun so that we can have our panels removed for reroofing. First call, hour plus hold time then got hung up on. Second call hour plus hold time, and they sent forms authorizing them to remove panels within 45 days for $4100. We’ve found another solar contractor to do the work sooner but need to get a liability release form from Sunrun. Have requested it in several emails, was on hold with a guaranteed callback but the only number they provided in a message was their one hour on hold number. Called their Investor Relations Department and Kelly called back and said she’d send a request to their escalation department. Haven’t heard back yet. Left my number for a callback again but received no callback. To say their customer service is terrible and they deserve even one star is not descriptive enough about how unresponsive they are.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Have leased system since 2017. Have very low solar production. I leased system to lower APS bills and I am still getting high bills. Solar panels were put in partial shade areas and therefore I'm getting low production. Want the problem solved with production or end lease and have system removed. They have offered lower lease payments but will not take care of high APS bills. Customer Service takes you around in circles and says it your problem. Not true.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

RUN!!! The people who knock on your door ARE LIARS. Even reading other reviews these people will do anything for a sale. I was told that my Bill would be $250 every single month and that it would be a FIXED amount. I am paying $400-$600 with APS PLUS $200 for the solar. I am in no way saving any money at all! I ended paying MORE. When this person was going over the contract it clearly stated I would be paying $250. Now I'm stuck with solar panels that save me -200 dollars each month.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Anyone thinking of solar should think of another rather than SunRun. Their installation was terrible and had to throw one of their crew off my property. After the solar is installed service is terrible. They will not send you a bill so you can see exactly how much you are paying for per unit. I’ve requested this many times. If you do not give them access you your bank so that they can directly debit your account they will penalize you $7.50 a month. They will claim this is a discount but it’s not attached to any pay rate and is a way for them to collect free money for doing nothing. Blackmail for not using direct Debit. One should never give them free access. You just may get a big surprise!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

A star is too high of a rating!!!! I have had Sunrun solar on our roof since 2016. When everything is working, it's great. However, if something malfunctions, expect no resolution and to continue to pay for service you are not getting. The system has actually underperformed making Sunrun give us a credit which didn't equate to the money we lost.

Our system malfunctioned in November of 2019 and it's now on the brink of Oct 2020 and we cannot seem to get the system resolved. I have called, been on hold for countless hours, spoken to just a handful of reps that can't help me, submitted tickets through their website - all to be ignored. After I notified them I would stop paying their bill, they finally had an outsourced team come out and that was in August 2020. It's still not fixed as the team that does the work is also waiting to hear from Sunrun. So basically do your research and find a solar company that has good reviews because I would never recommend this nightmare to anyone. I would love for Sunrun to see this and have someone contact me who can actually get something done. The hours I've spent on this is ridiculous and they should be ashamed of their lack of customer service.

Sunrun Company Information