2. Solar Energy

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.75/5

Sunrun sells and leases customized residential solar energy systems and its Brightbox battery storage service in 20 states. Customers can own or lease a system with $0 down. Sunrun offers free energy consultations and quotes. Over 250,000 homes across the U.S. have gone solar with Sunrun, according to the company.

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (5)

Sunrun Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: March 4, 2021

Sunrun has sent their roof repair people twice, and the roof is still leaking. Sunrun is giving me the run around saying that they are self insured and the claims go through a company called Sedgwick. In short, 4 years later they are still refusing to fix their mistakes, and I have a huge tarp on my roof covering the solar panels, needless to say the panels are not producing because they are covered. My recommendation, if you cannot go with any other company other than Sunrun, avoid solar, or wait for a more reputable solar company.

Hello David,

Our records indicate that our Field Service Team has been in contact with you regarding the roof situation. We will be following-up with a Private Response with additional information.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: March 4, 2021

Continual delays in getting our home solar system up and running. Multiple delays after initial system install. Into the third month since install now, still without working solar power. This has been one of the worst decisions we have made. All of the solar credit that we would have accumulated during the winter months for credit in future months has now gone by...no solar generated, no credits available...and summer is coming! Beware solar!

Hello George,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please be advised that we will be providing your feedback to the appropriate parties and will provide additional information through a Private Response.

Resolution response: March 6, 2021

The company sent me a email close to a week after my submission here stating the repair would be done April 1st. I got a call on 5-4 from my wife saying they had a tech out and fixed the inverter that day. I currently am waiting to see how honest, and accurate their promised credits will be for months of underproduction, and inconvenience. If I had time to see if, and how they live up to supplying us with a decent credit I may have considered 3 stars. The panels work well, when they are working. However the amount of time it has taken for the issue to get fixed, and the amount of people that have promised to do so, I would not go over 3 stars.

I also recommend anyone looking into Sunrun avoid the lease option. Also opt to get a bright box installed in the beginning as they have been saying retrofits are in the way for 2 years and still haven’t delivered yet. We suffer regular outages during summer because of fire conditions sometimes for a few days at a time. If they solved this issue I would go up to 4 stars just because it would make me much more satisfied being stuck in a 17 year lease with them, to be fair.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Inherited our system, now pay 3x more for electric than we would with the utility. Inverter died. SDGE notified me not Sunrun. Now 6 months still dead, $600 electric a month for a 2 bed w gas appliances.

Hello Steven,

After reviewing the account it is reflected that there is an ongoing Field Service case to provide system maintenance. We will be sending you a Private Response with additional details.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Sunrun installed a unit mid December, we didn't get a permission to operate until the first week of February. Our contract was for solar system that produced 8.51 kw and what was installed has produced at its it's best 4.1 kw. We have two Tesla batteries, they have not been charging at all and are currently at 31%. The unit has been in standby mode going on 2 weeks.

I called customer service and was told that someone would call but they did not. I called back again and they said that it would be 30 days before a technician can come out. This is a brand newly installed solar system that does not work properly. Sunrun is not providing any assistance, care or urgency to correct the issue of installing defective panels and powerwall batteries that don't perform or operate.

Hello Gregory,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will private message you with additional information regarding the status of your case.

Resolution response: March 10, 2021

Sunrun contacted me today and resolved both issues. The customer service representative was responsive and concerned about my experience. We have scheduled a date for repair and I was credited for the lost power production. I could not ask for a better resolution. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

During the summer of 2020, one of my solar panels shorted out and tried the breaker. It took Sunrun several months and several trips to repair the issue. I was told they would reimburse my lost power production at the anniversary date of my agreement. In November 2020, something (likely a falling bullet) broke one of the panels on the front roofline of my house. I reported it to Sunrun, who advised via email nearly 3 months later that they aren't going to replace the panel. Interestingly enough, 3 days after telling me they aren't replacing my shattered panel, I received an email that they won't review my refund for the lost power until next year. I left messages to talk to someone, no response. No customer service, slow repairs, refund delays (I'm expecting to be denied), and no coverage for broken panels (they'll leave a shattered panel on your roof that's visible from the ground); that's Sunrun!

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your feedback. Please be advised that the situation will be reviewed further and we have followed up with a Private Response with additional details.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I have had my system for over 10 years now. For the first 8+ years our system was generating perfectly fine, as of 2019 it went downward. We were promised 8500+ KWT annually, in 2019 only generated about 3000 kwt, 2020 about 6000 kwt. I have been trying to reach out to Sunrun customer service since Oct 2020 to set up a technician appointment, haven't been successful. I send another email regarding my concern, finally I got an email saying that my system is performing ok, if we send a tech it will cost me $90 an hour. We have called Edison, they said that system is not generating the way it use to, "Call your solar company".

Called sunrun. They are saying it performing ok. Not to mention that our inverter light has been off for over a year, send pictures to sunrun, nothing has been done. This is outrageous. We spend big chunk of money to get the system and now we owe over $1600 to Edison beside monthly payment of $100 that we have been making to Edison. Scam company. Do not trust them.

Good afternoon Fatema,

Our records indicate that a Case was created for one of our Case Managers to review this situation and follow-up with you. We will be sending a private response with additional details.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Hello, back in December Sunrun changed the billing format and the new format does not support all the information needed or that should be a bill. For example a normal bill "should show" all the necessary information like the Billing Period, Solar Production Start Reading, Solar Production End Reading, Solar Electricity Produced in the Month, and the Average Monthly Production! I am very disappointed with the newer billing format because it doesn't show any of this information, and it should! Please revise the billing format to the way it was, previous to December. See image attached of my Nov bill, this is what a bill should look like! Thank you. Rick **, La Mesa, CA.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Purchased my home in 2017. The house already had Sunrun solar so I was forced to take over the lease. Payments were a bit high but I figured it would just offset my electric bill. Hahahaha, yeah right. My electric bill is higher now than ever before. I get a yearly bill around $1800 every Oct for my yearly usage. That avgs $150 a month. So with the solar lease at $185/mo plus my electric bill, my total electric bill avgs $335 a month (my house is 2200 sq ft). Never paid that much on any house I've owned EVER!! Jan 2020, I call customer service, they say they will review my account and ask for my last 12 electric bills. I send them, 4 months go by, nothing. I call them, they say they are still working on it.

Month nine I call back, they apologize and say someone will get back to me. A few weeks later I get an email basically saying they reviewed my account and I'm using more energy than I'm producing. That's it. Company is a joke. The panels do not put out anything near what the contract says I should expect. I called back again to get another review of my account in 2021. They see the previous notes in the call and this time they assure me a manager will be in contact within 48 hours. It's been a month, still nothing. Save yourself money and aggravation. Their panels are mediocre on a good day, service is atrocious. Once you sign on the dotted line, they own you. I would absolutely never use them again or recommend them to anyone.

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please be advised that our records indicate that a case was created to further review the situation and support your concerns. We will reach out to you through a Private Message to provide additional details.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

Sunrun installed a PPA on my mother's shake roof. The roof was in need of repair and replacement at the time of install. The sales rep told my mother not to worry that when she had the financing for replacing the roof they would do so for $500. There is nothing in the contract that they had her sign that shows this and we have been trying to get this issue resolved for over 4 months.

We sent a demand letter indicating we needed to remove the panels and install a new roof as the current roof is a health hazard and leaking. My mother is elderly and should not have been taken advantage in this manner. She told the rep she needed a new roof prior to install but they preyed upon her age and installed anyway and now they will not respond to her demand letter to remove the panels to install the needed new roof. STAY AWAY FROM ANY PPA from SUNRUN. They are a predatory company that will not respond to your requests after install. We have been assigned a case manager tier escalator that is non responsive.

Good afternoon Moises,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please be advised that one of our agents will be reaching out to you directly to obtain more information on this situation.

Best regards,

Sunrun

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I signed up for solar back in late October 2019. I had it installed in early March. So far so good. They told me after that it would take 2 weeks for inspection by the village and another 2 weeks for approval from ComEd. Then covid hit the world and seems like Sunrun's systems must of went down since no one was answering or following up with me. If not for David the sales rep, I would never get thru to anyone. When I finally got thru to someone, they tried using covid as an excuse as to the hold up on the city inspection. They tried to say the city was not doing inspections due to covid. I work for a roofing company, so I believed them. After a few months of waiting and seeing my newly installed panels not take advantage of the summer sun, I called the city to see if I as a homeowner could get them to do an inspection.

To my surprise when they told me they have never stopped doing inspections for solar installs. So I set the inspection. I was not there for the first inspection and was expecting to get an approval from ComEd within 3 weeks. After not hearing anything I called Sunrun and that is when they told me that it had failed the inspection and they would fix the problem and reschedule the reinspection. But were not able to explain why nothing has been done about it until I called them. Apparently the tech that came out never put notes in the system. A few weeks go by again and nothing until I call them up and they tell me the city is asking them to reapply for the permit again and is being difficult. So I called the inspector up again and he tells me what Sunrun is telling me makes no sense and again I scheduled the re inspection. This time I was there with the inspector, and again it failed and Sunrun had to come out again to fix couple more things.

After the third inspection finally passed I was hoping to finally get this done. And again nothing until late November. After calling the project coordinator and getting nothing I talked to my sales rep that if we don't get this resolved by Christmas, then they can come and get their panels and cancel the contract. After a month, nothing, I called David to start the cancelation process and in couple days by miracle I get the approval to connect. Almost 14 months after signing with them and it's finally on. Too little too late. I lost the whole summer of sun that according to them would have covered me for summer and most of winter. I had a bunch of friends and neighbors waiting for this process so they can sign up and be my referrals, but I lost that also.

Why would I refer anyone to a company as unprofessional as Sunrun. They can't even get the contract straight. It clearly states in multiple sections what my final bill would be as 2 different amounts. Completely misleading without explanation as to why the difference. It's only under $400 in difference. Not sure how they can claim to be the largest solar provider. Sunrun's reply for me losing all the sun credit and referrals was only $500 credit. David ** you were great and the only thing positive about Sunrun, but it's a shame you have managers who don't value their customers.

Hello Armando,

We would certainly like to review this situation further. We will have one of our representatives reach out to you directly through a Private Response.

Best regards,