2.16/5
Based on 43 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

PrivacyGuard is a credit report site that helps individuals manage credit and protect their identity. The offer different levels of membership for unique needs, including ID Protection, Credit Protection and Total Protection. PrivacyGuard memberships may include social security number tracking, monthly credit score monitoring, ID theft insurance, fraud assistance and more.

Read More Read More
Last updated: May 21, 2018

66 PrivacyGuard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

I’m satisfied I like the info that you provide. Keep me up to date on my scores and any and all activity. I have some derogatory info that has been paid in full. I’d like for you to clear up my account immediately.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2018

It's a horrible service. Not many to chose from out there so I have to grin & bare it but my goodness. The people you have working for you are very unknowledgeable and just pass you off like hot cakes. Nothing seems it can be resolved in a short time either.

Original review: March 28, 2018

PrivacyGuard charges me $25 a month which I have no problem with, my issue is simply that I cannot access basically anything except my scores which are vantage scores and are almost worthless, I cannot access my credit reports because it always says there’s an error I cannot access any of the tools etc. I have contacted them on three occasions about this. They always tell me it’s fixed and nothing is fixed. Why I have not canceled my subscription is beyond me. I probably should do that today.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had PrivacyGuard and realized that I was getting the same information updated more frequently through a very popular FREE service, matter of fact the “FREE SERVICE” actually alerted me to changes on my credit file that my PrivacyGuard alerts still have not picked up!! I cancelled my service. 2 months later the credit restoration company that I am using requested I re-enroll for their ease of use. Once again I have accounts that have been opened/closed that show on “FREE SERVICE” that still do not show or have given me an “alert” on PrivacyGuard. Simply put: OVERPRICED service that underdelivers, also NO MOBILE APP, cumbersome website, will cancel the day I am done my credit restoration and continue to use the FREE, more current services available.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have been using Privacy Guard for a few months now and I don’t see any results. I need to see some solid results or I’m going to have to cancel my subscription. I have seen other ads about companies that do the same as Privacy Guard for about the same amount of money and much better reviews.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PrivacyGuard?

Original review: March 27, 2018

The site is very well laid out and user friendly. I can see all of my information clearly. I do not have any issues with viewing my accounts. I also get an updated report or a clear view of my report every single month which is great.

Original review: March 26, 2018

You Guys are awesome. Wish I could get the $9.99 a month though. But really you guys are awesome and I appreciate the service that you guys are providing for me and others like me who never knew anything about keeping their credit in tact and paying bills on time.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I have enjoyed the services offered by PrivacyGuard. I check my account weekly for any changes that may occur. PrivacyGuard in my opinion is very beneficial for me. PrivacyGuard notifies me of any alerts that appears on my account.

Original review: March 23, 2018

This program has been very helpful to me and keeping up with my credit score and if any new application has been applied I Emmanuel will be notified to be honest I'm happy that I signed up cause they protect my information.

Original review: March 22, 2018

So far, so good! No complaints. It's very helpful to keep up with credit score. I feel this service is very helpful to me and my family! I may be upgrading my monthly subscription at end of month. My credit repair guy recommended this service.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Very good website. Makes it easy to monitor your credit report. I would happily recommend this site to a friend. Since using PrivacyGuard i am able to view items on my credit report and successfully challenge some that are inaccurate. I am on my way to having good credit ratings. Thanks to PrivacyGuard.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Been a member for several years and I am about to cancel because of several incidents (Note my alerts are properly set up on my account). Specifically, I was switching phone service to T-Mobile, they ran my credit, immediately received alerts from Credit Karma and Capital One (free service) nothing from Privacy Guard. My identity was stolen (someone successfully ordered a duplicate driver license in my name with a different address and opened credit). The Culprit added a new address and added a new social security number on my credit file and incredibly, still no alerts from Privacy Guard. Privacy Guard is a completely useless service.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I've used PrivacyGuard for many years now. They are a decent credit monitoring service, not a scam. They will alert you when your credit is run, or when there are any changes to your credit, such as new accounts, etc. You can run your full credit report monthly. If there is fraud they will help you deal with it too. I recently was a victim of credit fraud and thanks to PG I was alerted to it right away and was able to address it immediately. They helped me put credit alerts to all 3 bureaus, and even called the company where my fraudulent account was opened, because they weren't being very cooperative with me. I still had to do the work but they helped and were supportive. You could do all this yourself but they made it easier, and the alerts are invaluable rather than finding out months later or when you get sent to collections over accounts you didn't even know about. I would recommend them.

I see a bunch of complaints over when they changed their membership to monthly and canceled a bunch of annual accounts. That actually happened to me too after my card on file expired. It used to be a yearly charge, but when I had to renew I went to the monthly $19.99. Yes that might be annoying but companies sometimes change their membership terms so it's not that bad or a foul. I just re-signed up and everything was fine.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

For a while now whenever I would check my score detail it would say sorry for the inconvenience and to try again later, sometimes it would work other times not. For a few weeks now it's been saying the same thing I couldn't do anything it would say sorry for the inconvenience to where I finally wrote to them and they wrote me back on 12/12/2017 stating someone would call me, it's now 12/23/21017 and I have not received a call, I have been a member for over a year and expect better service, I would have to go on Credit Karma to see my credit report detail whenever PrivacyGuard a service I was PAYING for wouldn't work. I decided to cancel my service online since next week is the time I usually get charged and I'm not paying for service that is not being fully provided to me.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I would not recommend this company as a secure, highly technical place to do business with. Here's what happened: My bank replaced my credit card for security reasons. I went to PG's website to provide the new credit card and found out that my account was canceled. On 11/16, I spoke with a person and they took my new credit card. They told me I would have my account back in 24-48 hours. I also told them that my husband had an account with the same credit card. They said he would have to give them a new credit card as well. They never told me that there can only be one credit card per membership.

I asked if there was a way to expedite the process. They said the only way is to set up a new account with a new email address and credit card. We did this for my husband's account but I opted to keep my existing account as I have more historical data in mine. I waited the 24-48 hours and my account was still not activated. I called on 11/20 and was told that the previous person did not enter the card correctly. This supervisor ensured me that my account would be back up within 24-48 hours. It wasn't.

I called today and spoke with Vernon and Tara. For the first time, I was told that we cannot use the same credit card for both my husband and I. Vernon said the executive office could make an exception. He put me through to Nayeli who informed me that they COULD NOT make an exception. I asked her what they do if a family only has one credit card that they use. She said, "They can find another service." Shocked by this answer and the lack of training and sloppy handling of my credit card information and my account, I decided to not do business with this company. I recommend that no one does business with this company if they value their personal and financial information.

It shouldn't take 3 phone calls to find out what the problem was. They shouldn't have a restriction that limits participation in their program only to families with more than one credit card and they should train their staff better to ensure they are giving correct information and not causing extended delays when trying to correct a credit card issue.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have had a great experience in the short time I have been a member of PrivacyGuard. I have only been with this company a few weeks. I am able to properly monitor the changes or the activity of my credit scores.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Like the idea of bettering my credit. Just a slow process and no results yet makes me nervous for all the money we have paid but still thinking positive and hoping for great news soon so we can have confidence and get on the right track.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I have been a member of privacyguard for the past 10 years. I received a letter that my membership was being cancelled and to call for questions. I called the number and spoke to a privacyguard rep who stated my financial institution and PG were no longer doing business. Huh?? I offered to use another credit card (financial institution) and they told me my membership was already cancelled and they couldnt help me. I am so confused at this point. Payed on time for 10 years straight, good customer, and they dont care one bit. By the way the financial institution that they are referring to is Citibank or Citicard. I would strongly advise not doing business with PG when they cancel your membership due to a decision made with your credit card company, and does not give you any options to continue membership. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Resolution response: Dec. 6, 2015

Just wrote a nasty review and now I'm taking it back. I spoke to Customer Service. They were very nice - too nice. They helped me and refunded me the charges. I felt guilty almost leaving, now I may go back... LOL

Original review: Nov. 20, 2015

I signed up for the service and they gave me 10 days to cancel. If I didn't cancel they would charge me $19.99 per month. I cancelled within the given time and they confirmed it. Then they charged my card anyways. Trying to call them, and I'm on hold forever. They say wait time is 5 mins. and I'm on hold for 20 mins. I don't believe the call is routed to anyone other than a loop recording.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

Received letter in mail from PrivacyGuard cancelling membership and to call toll free number with questions. I called and was told my institution would not accept any more payments from PrivacyGuard. I inquired if I could use another payment vehicle to keep my membership and was told no. Person on phone did not know why members were being cancelled. I think PrivacyGuard should make a full disclosure regarding the sudden cancellation of members for no reason. Instead of refunding one month of payments they should refund loyal members 6 months or one year of payments.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

I received a letter Nov 5, 2015 stating my credit monitoring would be cancelled in 1 month. No explanation - just a phone number to call. I called and found the person on the other end very unresponsive to questions. He stated the financial institution I pay through have separated ways. I asked why PrivacyGuard could not just start billing me or at least offer. He stated they could not discuss this at this time. He just kept saying sorry, it is going to be cancelled. I had been a member since 2001. I DID look online before calling. Found, the rate of $69.99 I currently pay for 1 year is $19.99 per month online. I DID ask if this was the reason. He was not able to answer. Poor responses all around.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

After 10+ years of being a loyal customer my account is being cancelled because an agreement between PG and my credit card company will no longer be continued. I respect the business decision between the 2 orgs. I do NOT appreciate the fact that PG is not offering an alternative program that would honor and continue my 10+ years' worth of membership benefits. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. They do not respect customers.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

I have used and paid for updates and monitoring through Privacy Guard for over 5 years and had my account unexpectedly cancelled. I had just received a positive update via email so Was quite surprised when I logged in only to be told my acct had been cancelled. The customer service rep on the phone claimed I had been sent 3 letters via snail mail and they had received no response from me so they terminated me. I did not receive the letters nor have ever had to renew my account. Renewal came by paying the credit card bill they sent. The rep did not offer to renew me nor was he concerned about the incident.

Original review: June 15, 2015

This is the craziest experience I've ever had! After several weeks, after hearing my account has been cancelled and dealing with the office of the President of PrivacyGuard, I found out that the reason the account was cancelled was because I have an Iowa cell phone number! I'd been a member since 2009 when we moved to Texas. We STILL live there. However, I kept my Iowa cell phone number rather than changing.

When I asked **, in the office of the president, whether they noticed we were from Texas, she said "Yes, but during an audit, it was found that your phone was from Iowa and any residents of Iowa cannot be a PrivacyGuard member." I said, "But we live in Texas." She said, "I know it's confusing." I told her it wasn't, but it WAS ridiculous. My husband also has an account with an Iowa phone number so we asked about that... for some reason, that they couldn't explain, his account is fine. She did say something about an agreement with the state of Iowa as to why people couldn't have an account. Needless to say, I have signed up for a different service, as has my husband. We assumed his would be cancelled shortly! So, discrimination against Iowa phone numbers? :)

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

Don't waste your money and time on Privacy Guard, to monitor your credit histories. I used the service for a few years and last year they automatically cancelled my service, I called them a few times to reactivate my account and after almost two weeks, their response was "your account has been cancelled and you need to reactivate it"!!! It seems they have no idea what they are doing.

Original review: July 31, 2014

I have been a customer with Privacy Guard since 2000 (14 years!). Last month I received an email, as I do every year, stating that my service was up for renewal and the yearly fee would be charged to my credit card on file. Today I tried to log in, but could not. The representative and later the supervisor I spoke to both said, repeatedly, that my service had been cancelled and that I should do an internet search for companies that offer identity protection services. I was told I was cancelled because they no longer provided the plan I was on. No notice of cancellation, no apologies, no offer to sign me up for another plan, nothing but cold and rude. Very disappointing.

Original review: July 15, 2014

My brother recently suffered a stroke and I took over managing his affairs. Privacy Guard and ID Secure were both charging him $12.99 and $13.99 monthly to monitor his credit. It's the same company! I informed them they were charging for duplicate services and cancelled both services. They both requested a Power of Attorney which I had and furnished on June 27th 2014. Both companies had the same fax number to send the POA. On June 29th I opened two accounts for my brother in the area I am moving him to. I have received no notice from Privacy Guard or ID Secure. Now they claim I can't cancel service with POA. On July 1, 2014 his account was charged for Privacy Guard. Neither service is doing anything for money collected. I won't have a chance to collect the $1,300 collected fraudulently in duplicate service charges.

Original review: May 30, 2014

I sign up for a trial offer of $1 for 14 days for my credit report/score with PrivacyGuard.com. After submitting my credit card information, I was immediately directed to another site called CreditScorePro.com. I did NOT receive any confirmation page or email to say I was signed up. The new site wanted all the information again, which seemed very sketchy. I immediately checked my account to find a charge for a $1, a credit for $1, a charge for $1 and again another credit for $1. There was an 800 # on my statement which I called. I was told they could not find any membership information for me or where they charge me. They told me if a charge showed up in the future, call back. One word for this company - SCAM!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2013

Customer support is nonexistent, and the report are always having a system problem.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2013

This company charged my credit card $139 in May for the yearly fee and when I logged on today to check my credit, they said my account has been cancelled. There was no correspondence as to why and when it was cancelled.

PrivacyGuard expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Privacy Guard is a comprehensive credit reporting, monitoring and identity theft protection service that offers resources to help consumers maintain good credit and repair their credit history.

• Free trial: Privacy Guard offers a free 14-day trial period that lets consumers check scores and reports for only $1.

• Three credit bureau: The service provides access and daily monitoring to all three credit reports, Experian, Equifax and TransUnion.

• Credit score tracking: PrivacyGuard’s Score Tracker plots the member’s Experian Credit Scorex PLUS credit score, which shows how recent credit activity impacts the consumer’s credit profile.

• Credit score simulator and financial calculator suite: These tools show how a change in payment habits could impact the customer’s overall credit picture and offer ways to reduce debt.

• Identity theft restoration: Privacy Guard helps identity theft victims restore their identity.

• Alerts: Part of their service is to notify customers when suspicious activity appears on their accounts.

• Poor credit: The company works with a variety of customers, even those with negative marks on their credit report.

• Educational resources: PrivacyGuard offers education on a variety of identity protection, identity theft and credit topics.

• Best for: Victims of identity theft, consumers with poor credit and consumers who have an upcoming major financial event.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg