PrivacyGuard

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been a member of privacyguard for the past 10 years. I received a letter that my membership was being cancelled and to call for questions. I called the number and spoke to a privacyguard rep who stated my financial institution and PG were no longer doing business. Huh?? I offered to use another credit card (financial institution) and they told me my membership was already cancelled and they couldnt help me. I am so confused at this point. Payed on time for 10 years straight, good customer, and they dont care one bit. By the way the financial institution that they are referring to is Citibank or Citicard. I would strongly advise not doing business with PG when they cancel your membership due to a decision made with your credit card company, and does not give you any options to continue membership. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Just wrote a nasty review and now I'm taking it back. I spoke to Customer Service. They were very nice - too nice. They helped me and refunded me the charges. I felt guilty almost leaving, now I may go back... LOL

Cheski of Brooklyn, NY on

Original Review

I signed up for the service and they gave me 10 days to cancel. If I didn't cancel they would charge me $19.99 per month. I cancelled within the given time and they confirmed it. Then they charged my card anyways. Trying to call them, and I'm on hold forever. They say wait time is 5 mins. and I'm on hold for 20 mins. I don't believe the call is routed to anyone other than a loop recording.

Received letter in mail from PrivacyGuard cancelling membership and to call toll free number with questions. I called and was told my institution would not accept any more payments from PrivacyGuard. I inquired if I could use another payment vehicle to keep my membership and was told no. Person on phone did not know why members were being cancelled. I think PrivacyGuard should make a full disclosure regarding the sudden cancellation of members for no reason. Instead of refunding one month of payments they should refund loyal members 6 months or one year of payments.

I received a letter Nov 5, 2015 stating my credit monitoring would be cancelled in 1 month. No explanation - just a phone number to call. I called and found the person on the other end very unresponsive to questions. He stated the financial institution I pay through have separated ways. I asked why PrivacyGuard could not just start billing me or at least offer. He stated they could not discuss this at this time. He just kept saying sorry, it is going to be cancelled. I had been a member since 2001. I DID look online before calling. Found, the rate of $69.99 I currently pay for 1 year is $19.99 per month online. I DID ask if this was the reason. He was not able to answer. Poor responses all around.

After 10+ years of being a loyal customer my account is being cancelled because an agreement between PG and my credit card company will no longer be continued. I respect the business decision between the 2 orgs. I do NOT appreciate the fact that PG is not offering an alternative program that would honor and continue my 10+ years' worth of membership benefits. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. They do not respect customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PrivacyGuard?

I have used and paid for updates and monitoring through Privacy Guard for over 5 years and had my account unexpectedly cancelled. I had just received a positive update via email so Was quite surprised when I logged in only to be told my acct had been cancelled. The customer service rep on the phone claimed I had been sent 3 letters via snail mail and they had received no response from me so they terminated me. I did not receive the letters nor have ever had to renew my account. Renewal came by paying the credit card bill they sent. The rep did not offer to renew me nor was he concerned about the incident.

This is the craziest experience I've ever had! After several weeks, after hearing my account has been cancelled and dealing with the office of the President of PrivacyGuard, I found out that the reason the account was cancelled was because I have an Iowa cell phone number! I'd been a member since 2009 when we moved to Texas. We STILL live there. However, I kept my Iowa cell phone number rather than changing.

When I asked **, in the office of the president, whether they noticed we were from Texas, she said "Yes, but during an audit, it was found that your phone was from Iowa and any residents of Iowa cannot be a PrivacyGuard member." I said, "But we live in Texas." She said, "I know it's confusing." I told her it wasn't, but it WAS ridiculous. My husband also has an account with an Iowa phone number so we asked about that... for some reason, that they couldn't explain, his account is fine. She did say something about an agreement with the state of Iowa as to why people couldn't have an account. Needless to say, I have signed up for a different service, as has my husband. We assumed his would be cancelled shortly! So, discrimination against Iowa phone numbers? :)

Don't waste your money and time on Privacy Guard, to monitor your credit histories. I used the service for a few years and last year they automatically cancelled my service, I called them a few times to reactivate my account and after almost two weeks, their response was "your account has been cancelled and you need to reactivate it"!!! It seems they have no idea what they are doing.

I have been a customer with Privacy Guard since 2000 (14 years!). Last month I received an email, as I do every year, stating that my service was up for renewal and the yearly fee would be charged to my credit card on file. Today I tried to log in, but could not. The representative and later the supervisor I spoke to both said, repeatedly, that my service had been cancelled and that I should do an internet search for companies that offer identity protection services. I was told I was cancelled because they no longer provided the plan I was on. No notice of cancellation, no apologies, no offer to sign me up for another plan, nothing but cold and rude. Very disappointing.

My brother recently suffered a stroke and I took over managing his affairs. Privacy Guard and ID Secure were both charging him $12.99 and $13.99 monthly to monitor his credit. It's the same company! I informed them they were charging for duplicate services and cancelled both services. They both requested a Power of Attorney which I had and furnished on June 27th 2014. Both companies had the same fax number to send the POA. On June 29th I opened two accounts for my brother in the area I am moving him to. I have received no notice from Privacy Guard or ID Secure. Now they claim I can't cancel service with POA. On July 1, 2014 his account was charged for Privacy Guard. Neither service is doing anything for money collected. I won't have a chance to collect the $1,300 collected fraudulently in duplicate service charges.

I sign up for a trial offer of $1 for 14 days for my credit report/score with PrivacyGuard.com. After submitting my credit card information, I was immediately directed to another site called CreditScorePro.com. I did NOT receive any confirmation page or email to say I was signed up. The new site wanted all the information again, which seemed very sketchy. I immediately checked my account to find a charge for a $1, a credit for $1, a charge for $1 and again another credit for $1. There was an 800 # on my statement which I called. I was told they could not find any membership information for me or where they charge me. They told me if a charge showed up in the future, call back. One word for this company - SCAM!!!

Customer support is nonexistent, and the report are always having a system problem.

This company charged my credit card $139 in May for the yearly fee and when I logged on today to check my credit, they said my account has been cancelled. There was no correspondence as to why and when it was cancelled.

Received two (2) checks in the mail, wondering if they are even real. Called and learned that my late mother-in-law had been being charged on TWO (2) accounts, but I don't know if she knew it or not, as she was sick for several years before she passed over. I'm almost certain that she did not know of these monthly charges, but I sure PRAY to God (literally) that what the representative told me is true. I cannot give an accurate "rating" right now, not until my husband calls to see if they can reissue the checks in his name. IF they are able to reissue the checks into his name, then that means that prayers will have been answered, as I have several medical issues and cannot eat "normal" food and I take a lot of medicines that sometimes we don't have the money for. I WILL come back and give a different rating, once my husband speaks with them to see what action(s) take place. Hopefully, it will be a 5-star rating.

I noticed a charge on my checking acct. for $14.99 on my statement. I called my bank and they said I needed to call the company and cancel it. I have never heard of this company, much less signed up for services with them. They gave me the number and name of the company as PRIVACY GUARD. I attempted to call Privacy Guard. They informed me they could not find me and there were too many people with my last name to search for it. Then hung up on me. I immediately called back and was put on hold forever by the next agent. It's funny, they have no trouble finding my bank acct. but they can't find me when I call them. Watch out for them. They rip you off each month and you may not notice for some time.

I have been paying $10.99 a month for their service to protect me, not send email alerts with inaccurate information, be unwilling to assist me or refund me for CHANGING MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER and not refunding me for the $1318.80 I have paid over the last decade to be treated like this.

I was just going over my bank statement and found your company on it with a $16.99 charge on it. I don't remember signing up for anything through your company. I have gotten letters from you in the past and thought they were junk mail - just threw them away. How long have you been charging me this fee for nothing? You need to refund the money that you have stolen from me. Otherwise, I will be calling a lawyer and joining the fight against you that I've seen online about all the millions of people that you are defrauding.

I received a letter from PrivacyGuard with an attached check for $1,141.13, “enclosed to reimburse you for all of the Membership fees you have paid. The refund check, which is provided by PNC, includes and amount for credit card finance charges or checking account overdraft fees, from your enrollment to the present. Trilegiant will not access any additional fees for your Membership until you fully activate your benefits."

So great, I got a refund check from PNC bank, but the check is not signed! And yes it looks like a real check with security features on the back and proper bank numbers, but it is not signed! SO WHAT GIVES HERE? IS THIS A REAL CHECK?

The service costs $15/month and you can only receive an updated credit report once every THREE MONTHS!! So you get your credit report for $15 and have to pay another $45 to get another one, and you have to wait 3 months for it. Privacy Guard is a complete rip-off and I've canceled my service with them.

I never signed up for this product. My bank (US Bank) auto signed me up for this as a free trial (first month free). After the first month, I called to have this cancelled, yet have been charged every month for the past year (I did not check my billing because I assumed this had been removed). I am so frustrated that I am out well over $200 and did not in any way want this product. This is a total scam. They even change the name of the organization they bill from every month in order to prevent being blocked from payment.

I noticed today (4/4/13) a credit for $44.97 and $14.99 on my Chase credit card statement. I called Privacy Guard customer service and asked "Joseph" why there were charges and credits from their company on my credit card account. I have never heard of this company before. He asked my name and address. I did not give him my credit card number. He said, "We caught it and reverse the charges." He asked me if I knew. I can't remember the man's name or state he was from. I told him I have never heard of this person before. He told me he recommended I call my credit card company and have my account closed, which I did.

I checked my old Chase statements and found charges for $14.99 on my December, January, February, and March statements. I went online and found the many class action lawsuits against Trilegiant (Privacy Guard) and Chase Bank. I would not have noticed the charges if not for them crediting me. What is going on? I feel violated! This company has been stealing for years and still continuing the same practices. Am I the only one complaining at this time? Please let me know what is going on. Thank you.

A "phishing" charge of $1 was charged to my credit card in 10/2012. Unfortunately, I missed it and a $14.99 charge was charged to the same credit card on 12/2012. I neither requested information nor did I authorize any charges from TLG Privacy Guard. It is unethical for a company offering "protection" to commit fraud by doing what they offer to protect.

I had my identity stolen, but it was caught pretty quickly. I had to get a new debit card, however. When I got the card, I went to the bank (US Bank) to activate it. Apparently, US Bank is associated with PrivacyGuard and automatically enrolled me in the program without telling me or even giving me an option to opt out. So the deduction from my account happened and I called US Bank. They reversed the charge. A month later, they charged me again. When I called to get it reversed, I was told they couldn't reverse it and that I would have to talk to PrivacyGuard. PrivacyGuard was sued in a class action a couple of years ago for these same types of activities and they still continue to do them.

I sign up for a trial for my credit report under this company, PrivacyGuard.com. For the first 30 days, it was for $2.95 after that was to be $14.99. I called before the trial was over and canceled. They keep billing me over and over and over. They refuse to give me the money back for the past 6 months that they have been billing me for.

Privacy Guard is withdrawing money once a year since 2002 on my Chase credit card. I discovered this lately and when I called Privacy Guard, they said I enrolled in their service using an automated system at an 800 number. I never called them. Besides, they claim I accessed my account information on that 800 number, so I wonder where this account information comes from? Don't we have a confidentiality breach since they have my credit card number and all personal information on file without me providing this information ever? They even sent me a letter claiming this aspect. Apparently, there is a lot of fraud involving "Privacy Guard" and "Trilegiant". Is this the same company? How do we contact the attorney general about that to have such scam ended properly?

I have been recently giving my financial statements much more attention, as money is increasingly more of a rare luxury now. I noticed a charge from Privacy Guard (labeled as "Privgrdmar," with the last 3 letters indicating the month I was billed) for $12.99. Unfortunately, this has been going on for at least 18 months (the oldest bank statement available online was dated October 2008).

I don't ever recall signing up for this, but I assume it was something I overlooked. (Perhaps a "free trial" that came with one of my credit cards, but I forgot to cancel after the "free trial period." Despite this, I am sure I have never knowingly gave consent for this service anymore.) So, begrudgingly, but taking responsibility for my ignorance and carelessness, I got in contact with my bank (US Bank) and received the contact number for Privacy Guard.

I called Privacy Guard to cancel my membership, but they told me that my account does not exist/can't find my account, even though both my bank and Privacy Guard confirmed the charges were for Privacy Guard's services. I called several times, hoping that someone could help me; but every time I called, the agent and their supervisor all said the same thing and said my account was not in their system.

I then called Privacy Guard, along with a US Bank representative on the phone line, and that still didn't help. I got the same answer. The US Bank representative was asked to fax my statement to Privacy Guard, which worries me. I filed a dispute to the claims department at US Bank, but they said the debits from my account were legitimate, though did not provide anything else.

Because Privacy Guard has repeatedly told me that they can't locate my account, I am afraid that the charges are an intentional violation of my bank account by someone else. Either that or Privacy Guard is scamming me.

Furthermore, Privacy Guard has told me that I should have received information/newsletters/general mail from them from time to time, but I have never ever received anything in the mail from Privacy Guard. This further makes me believe that I may be getting scammed. Is there anyone who can help me?

I see all the complaints about Privacy Guard/Trilegiant and am baffled. I have been a member of Privacy Guard for about 5 years, and they saved me from a thief who stole my identity. I was enrolled through an offer by a credit card company, that I had to sign in order to enroll. They did not just assume I wanted their product (as some on here would like you to believe) and I had to take steps to enroll and to obtain my credit reports. When a real thief found a way to steal my information and opened several accounts, PG sent me an alert right away. I was able to stop any damage to my good name, all because of this company. They saved me countless hours and I didn't spend a dime. In my opinion, these consumers are lazy and neither pay attention to what they enroll into, or their credit card statements. What better way for lawyers to get rich.

I have been charged $149.99 on my MasterCard dated 4-10-09. I have no idea what this charge is for except that I have had these charges before from different companies of TLG. I have called them about this matter and have been assured of a refund. Which I have not received as yet. Why are they allowed to do this without an explanation?

I have been getting charged $12.99 a month by PRIVGRD to my bank account for several years, and I never knew what it was for. It was such a small amount, that I never thought twice about it. My money has been so tight lately that I finally looked into it, and saw that other people were experiencing the same thing.

I am just 23 years old, so like many my age. I have been struggling to get by on my own. Every dollar I work so hard for, is much needed. I have had numerous overdraft charges that put me in an almost impossible hole to crawl out of. I am living paycheck to paycheck so right before each check, I have to go as far as starving myself for a couple days, so I dont overdraft again. Well it turns out that this bogus $12.99/month charge could have been a couple days I could have fed myself. This makes me very angry!

Canceled membership on Jan.28, 2008.

Still being billed on my Chase credit card. Repeated phone calls have produced no results. Phone people only want to sell you something.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Privacy Guard is a comprehensive credit reporting, monitoring and identity theft protection service that offers resources to help consumers maintain good credit and repair their credit history.

• Free trial: Privacy Guard offers a free 14-day trial period that lets consumers check scores and reports for only $1.
  • Three credit bureau: The service provides access and daily monitoring to all three credit reports, Experian, Equifax and TransUnion.
  • Credit score tracking: PrivacyGuard’s Score Tracker plots the member’s Experian Credit Scorex PLUS credit score, which shows how recent credit activity impacts the consumer’s credit profile.
  • Credit score simulator and financial calculator suite: These tools show how a change in payment habits could impact the customer’s overall credit picture and offer ways to reduce debt.
  • Identity theft restoration: Privacy Guard helps identity theft victims restore their identity.
  • Alerts: Part of their service is to notify customers when suspicious activity appears on their accounts.
  • Poor credit: The company works with a variety of customers, even those with negative marks on their credit report.
  • Educational resources: PrivacyGuard offers education on a variety of identity protection, identity theft and credit topics.
  • Best for Victims of identity theft, consumers with poor credit and consumers who have an upcoming major financial event.

Compare Credit Report Sites