2.8/5 (24 ratings)

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

About Smalls

Smalls cat food provides your cat with high-quality food through a subscription plan. Cats receive fresh, human-grade food packed with dry ice to keep it cool. Wet food is available in three recipes: chicken, turkey and beef with consistency choices of minced or pate. If your cat isn’t fond of wet food, Smalls also offers freeze-dried raw protein as a kibble alternative. It’s available in chicken, turkey and duck and includes the meat, bones and organs. Smalls also offers healthy treats and food-toppers to entice your cat.

Pros

• Recipes backed by science
  • Several plans to choose from
  • Human-grade ingredients
  • Plans are customizable

Cons

• More expensive than kibble
  • Food isn’t pre-portioned

Bottom Line

Smalls is a meal delivery service for your cat. A sampler helps you determine what products your pet likes. The plans allow for regular shipments of your cat’s favorite food at a pace and cost that fits your budget.

Banner image

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Smalls Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smalls?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smalls?

Original review: March 4, 2022

I have multiple barn cats that I care for that have become my babies. I have been feeding them kibble for the first few years of their lives but noticed they were all overweight, itchy, hair falling off when I pet them and I noticed they were drinking a lot of water. I grew up with cats eating kibble so I didn't think about the quality of the food right away but started doing research on how to properly care for outdoor cats because I can't afford to take them to the vet. I learned that the higher their nutrition, not only will they be healthier (proper weight, smooth coat, healthy skin and eyes) but the nutrition can actually protect them against fleas and ticks too. I live on a farm so this is great news. I started feeding them Smalls because it's so nutritious, they have EXCELLENT customer service and it's beyond convenient to just set my desired frequency and get automatic deliveries, never have to think about it again.

Original review: March 2, 2022

Smalls absolutely changed the way my cat eats. Before, he ate vet recommended food. I learned through a lot of research that this food is absolutely not healthy for him and that he requires a fresh diet. After he developed a chicken allergy and suffered from FLUTD, I made the full switch to Smalls and he's not had any issues since!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

o begin, I've had my baby girl for 13 years since she was a runt on the streets. This food has given her more energy, softer fur, and has helped loads in the litter box department. If I ever have questions about editing my orders, or making changes to my subscription the concierges have always been incredibly helpful and helped make my experience meaningful. They LOVE to talk about cats just as much as I do, and that's saying something. I wish more companies showed the same dedication to their customers as Smalls. I'll be a lifelong customer!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Our cat Oscar has been enjoying Smalls for several months now, and it's been great! The best part is the quality of the food, which uses high-quality ingredients that's good and healthy for them. Smalls' customer service has been excellent and shipments have been regularly coming on time without any issues. Overall, Oscar's been loving Smalls and I'm not sure he would want us to switch over to anything else!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Before Smalls, I'll admit, I was feeding my cat whatever cans or kibble I remembered to pick up while grocery shopping. I noticed that switching brands/recipes around was upsetting her stomach so I went on the hunt for something that would meet her nutritional needs and be convenient for my ever-changing schedule. Enter Smalls. Talk about game-changer. It took us a week or so to fully transition, but since we did, there's no going back. My cat loves the recipes (chicken is her favorite) and I love that it's all delivered to my doorstep. Our vet is consistently impressed with my cat's weight, coat, and overall health too, so wins all around.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

The food contains high quality ingredients for sure. My cat simply adores the stuff and, if you can afford the hefty price tag without issue, I can recommend it. However, the average person cannot drop a small fortune on this food every month, when you can otherwise just go out and buy chicken breasts and rice at any grocery store and cook it up for your cat for significantly cheaper pricing. I understand that their market is catered to cat owners who are finicky about what their cat eats and are on a time scrunch, but just the "trial shipment" alone costs $40; to only have 3 1/2 pounds of food sent to you. The actual monthly delivery costs over $100 for a little bit more food, but not enough to justify. I'm almost spending just as much money on feeding my cat as I do feeding myself. This is a problem, considering I eat 10x more calories than my cat.

At the end of the day, they deliver on their promise of high quality food. That much is certain, and I can't place them below 3 stars as a result. If money is no object, definitely subscribe to their monthly shipment. However, if you're concerned about your cat's pallet but are on a budget, just whip up unseasoned meat, with some whole grain, and a smidge of greens, and it gets the job done.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

My cat wouldn't eat this food. He won't touch the treats either. I wrote to cancel the autoship, and I was told that I should give my cat more time and warm up the food and all sorts of other things. I tried, he still wouldn't eat it. They wanted me to wait two more weeks. I tried a different food as my cat wouldn't budge -- and, he is actually NOT a picky eater. He's gobbled up every other brand, including Acana, Open Farm, Solid Gold, Instinct, etc.

Well, it's the end of term, and I remembered to write and ask for a refund, but unlike other quality pet food brands I've tried, Smalls has a strict 30-day refund policy that it will not budge on. Go with a quality food and quality business. Skip Smalls -- you'll be glad you did to save yourself your hard-earned money and the headache of dealing with their business strategy. The food and treats are not very affordable...

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

This company would not last long anyway, just don't buy any product from them, very deceptive business manner, tried their food on two cats, neither like them at all, they literally rather starve than eat, and they would not refund me and ask me to try for 2 more weeks, such a bad experience and shame on them, and cancel account with them is also a process as complicated as possible.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

Smalls is pricey but seems to be of better quality than the others we have tried so far. It took our cat a while to get used to it, so some food does go waste. He did refuse to eat one type (turkey) from the sampler package. Their biggest problem is their delivery mechanism. We have only one cat so I found it inconvenient to cut the frozen packets up so that food would not go waste.

Our first, sampler package arrived rotten, but I was able to get a replacement after contacting customer support. The second package had items I did not want including turkey which our cat does not eat. This time customer service really pissed me off. They politely implied that I was an incompetent idiot when it came to using email; their system clearly showed that they sent notice of the substitutions and I likely "accidentally" deleted the email. There was no email in the trash or spam or inbox that said anything about substitutions or asking me to confirm the substitutions. There were only three very generic emails giving me status updates about the shipment.

Original review: July 13, 2021

My cats wouldn’t touch this food and I have been left severely disappointed with the deceptive sales tactic and poor customer care of this brand. Smalls lures customers in with a good deal on a trial and then deceptively slaps on a $172 charge to your account for the following month that’s nonrefundable before the product has even shipped. Customer care has been very limited in response and hard to deal with on this matter.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Listen to all the bad reviews about this company. It’s true they are deceptive. First of all, while their customer service is responsive, it has to be because their website is so terrible. Most of the time, it doesn’t work properly and you have to ask customer service to do it. It took me a while to figure out the right amount for my kitten so I spent more than I expected month to month. When I finally did, I made sure to have an extra 2 bags as they recommended. But they decided, without giving notice to me, to switch out my cat's food from chicken to turkey. This was such a risky move because I had no supply left to transition and I was leaving on vacation by the time I noticed the ingredients were turkey.

When I emailed them, they said it was my fault for not reading the email, but it was buried in an email that I always get each time my email ships. They expect me to open the same email with the same subject title I get every month my order ships — when they should’ve changed the subject title to tell customers that the change is happening. This is deceptive and extremely inconsiderate to a cat’s health. They refused to provide me a refund upon request or ship me replacement.

My cat has a very sensitive stomach and can’t just switch off like that. I’m still figuring out her food allergies and some cats are allergic to turkeys. I thought they were honest about their ingredients but I can’t trust a company with dishonest practices like this. Prior to this, I had Nom Nom Now and they were soo much better at measuring how much food your cat needed and obviously way better quality.

Taste-wise, one of my other cats refused to eat Smalls food after about 2 months out of nowhere so I had to switch out it, and I was willing to stay with their company for my one other cat but not anymore with deceptive practices like this. I can’t trust their ingredients or the disrespectful way they go about switching out products without consent.

Original review: July 10, 2021

The food is good quality and my cat likes it. With that being said, they have the worst logistics and customer service. Orders are often wrong, late, or not packaged properly and arrive defrosted. With each issue there’s a new excuse from their team. The worst part - they ship once a week only. This means each time their team messes up an order or it doesn’t show up, you have to wait a full week to (hopefully) have a new/correct order. I’m not sure how this company is still operating.

Original review: July 3, 2021

I will never recommend this cat food to anybody who loves their cats. I tried their sample pack to get my cats used to their food, it was a success but they had over a week delay on their next order and I had to buy different cat food instead. I tried to resolve the matter with their lack of customer service and express my frustration multiple times but was told “they communicated properly” and the issue was mine. Overall a waste of money.

Original review: May 29, 2021

I like the quality and variety they offer and my cat liked the food just fine. I would have been a long-time customer were it not for their handling of a customer service issue that arose. Last week I received the email that a shipment was pending, to remind me to make any changes. I edited my order and decided to add something new while I was on the site. When I received something different from what was ordered, I thought it was an honest mistake and figured they would simply reimburse me for the product they'd sent in error. Instead, they informed me that the new product I'd added was low on stock, that their staff was directed to substitute, and that this was referenced in a footnote to the email which they apologized for my failure to see.

I've worked in online retail and produced the emails that go out to customers, as well as the website and shopping cart experience. There's no excuse for the fact that they were so subtle about this substitution. There should have been an alert at the top of their website, and certainly on the product page, itself. It should have alerted me when I tried to add the product to my cart. And there should have been a dedicated email seeking my approval for the substitution or, at the very least, a prominent announcement in the head of another email. To make matters worse, they substituted with an item of lesser value and didn't bother to adjust for the difference or acknowledge the fact until I mentioned it. When I raised these points to them they only buckled down, again apologizing to me for my error in a backhanded manner. It left such a bad taste in my mouth, I couldn't continue to give them my business.

Original review: May 17, 2021

Looking for the best cat food is a priority for most people within their budget. Smalls offers a sample pack which you have no option to modify, 2 - 4oz kibble and 4 bags of freeze dried food. Freeze dried, my cat hates that stuff. It wasn't cheap either. Worst part, I was not aware when you sign on their site, you sign on for auto order. I found out the hard way when they shipped me $183.00 frozen cat food for one small cat. I asked for refund and they refused. I would never order that much cat food and especially not at that price. Customer service was anything but genuine.

Resolution response: May 11, 2021

Smalls reached out to me and offered me a full refund after explaining the situation. Feeling much better about this company and their customer service. I think they are experiencing rapid growth and figuring out some of the kinks along the way but I do appreciate their willingness to work with me!

Original review: May 4, 2021

tl;dr: Warning!! Do not order from this company, they have a very deceptive business strategy!!! You will automatically get enrolled in a VERY expensive subscription service and have to fight to cancel your account!! I want the absolute best for my cats and after researching, Smalls fresh cat food seemed to be very species-appropriate. I also love the convenience of subscription services, so I was looking forward to trying this and ordered the sample box. My cats wouldn't touch the stuff, and I tried everything to get them to try it (warmed it up, topped it with gravy that I know they love, etc). I didn't hear anything from Smalls for about a month and as I had only purchased the sample box, I unsubscribed from their promotional emails and didn't think anything of it from then on.

Three weeks later and I see a whopping $265 charge on my credit card from Smalls. I searched my email for confirmation and lo and behold I find in my spam folder an email titled "Order Confirmation." So they automatically enrolled me in their very pricey subscription service. I don't remember agreeing to auto-enrollement when I ordered the sample box -- if I did, it was in the VERY fine print.

I immediately reached out to their customer service (only by email as they don't have phone customer service, always sketchy) and was told that there are no cancellations or refunds once your order is processed. Other subscription cat foods similar to this company almost always offer full refunds if you're not happy with the product. So I'm down $265 and I will be stuck with a giant box of frozen cat food that my cats won't eat - big bummer. But even worse is that when I FINALLY was able to figure out how to log into their terrible site (extremely confusing), there is NO way to actually cancel your account or remove your credit card! What the heck! I'm going to have to call my credit card company and tell them to stop authorizing payments to this company. Smalls has a very deceptive business model. I encourage you not to get lured in by their fancy packaging and nice ingredients, this company is honestly not worth the hassle to work with.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I am trying to do right by my kittens and feed them a food best for their health. I ordered the sample Smalls. After ordering the sample it thanked me for the auto-subscription. I hate companies that do this! I would not have placed the ordered for a sample if I had known I was signing up for an auto-subscription. After receiving the sample food, and feeding to my kittens for five days, twice per day, of small portions with their regular food, I found my kittens would not eat the food - ate around it, even my boy cat who eats everything. They started scavenging for food on the counters, which they don't normally do at 10 months old.

I tried to find a welcome email with the agreement and how to cancel, or an email to a customer portal to cancel the auto-subscription, but there were NONE - just one email confirmation of the sample order with no other content. I tried calling, but received a message that they don't answer the phone. So I sent an email telling them I could find an order confirmation for auto-subscription or a way to cancel the auto-subscription, since my cats don't eat the food and it's very expensive. The Cat Concierge responded to my email and stated: 1) "You do not currently have an account that can be accessed via our website.", 2) "As soon as you know what your cats enjoy feel free to let us know their favorites here! Then your Cat Concierge can help you build your first full order." - didn't happen, and 3) "We'll never ship an order without checking in with you first, and you can always reschedule or edit your orders through a Cat Concierge".

I truly believed I'd taken care of this and put it out of my mind. This is why I was surprised today when I received an email thanking me for my order with the amount. So I searched my inbox and found an email from THREE DAYS ago with an invitation to a customer portal from Smalls. In an attempt to cancel this order, I sign-up for the portal, and there are no pending deliveries, no orders in the history, no record whatsoever. I click all throughout the site. I cannot remove my payment method. There is nothing to cancel anywhere on my profile. Having reviewed the response for my inquiry to cancel the auto-subscription, I did a second search in my email on "Cat Concierge" (not Smalls) and there it was. THREE days ago, I received an email from this email to contact them by the next day (1 day) or my order would be submitted and shipped. Then it happened. I hate business practices like this that set the customer up to fail, and take their money.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Ordered a trial for my mother's cat in January. Her cat hated it, and the food went to neighbors with less picky cats, who still wouldn't eat it. Ultimately it went to their dogs, who would eat it. Given this information, I attempted to cancel the subscription, found no way to do so, and so removed my payment method instead, as the only way to prevent more unwanted cat food, or so I thought.

I was frustrated to learn that I was charged nearly $250 late on a Friday to assure I couldn't challenge payment with my banking institution closed for the weekend. I attempted to contact their customer service line, only to find that they don't actually take phone calls at any time for any reason. I then emailed them and received an automated reply that due to high volume they won't be getting back to me for quite a while. Further, they neither accept returns nor issue refunds for unwanted deliveries. Smalls.com, based on my direct experiences with the company, provides a mediocre product and has no customer service whatsoever. They would do well to redirect some of their excessive marketing budget to customer service. I strongly advise you to avoid doing business with them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

After my cat nearly died of a blocked bladder a year and a half ago, it's been very hard to find a food that he won't refuse but is also healthy for him and moist enough to discourage crystals from building up in his bladder/urinary tract. Smalls' food itself is great and my cat loves it, never threw any of it up, and seemed to be healthy with it. However, the company is semi new, and it has the WORST customer service ever, and horrible logistics.

They gave me completely wrong food, or forgot to ship me everything they had charged me for on multiple occasions. And they only ship on Tuesdays. ONLY Tuesdays. The food doesn't arrive until Fridays or Saturdays, so the window for keeping the food fresh is super slim. And then if the food gets caught over the weekend (as USPS, UPS have been backed up due to COVID) then you're screwed. They make it difficult to get a new shipment sent, and were very combative as if I had done something wrong or were trying to get free food or something. This is the most expensive cat food I have ever purchased and it's completely unacceptable for a cat brand trying to sell high-end expensive food to treat their customers like that (tbh it's unacceptable in general to treat customers like that).

Furthermore, the fact that they have very rigid yet inconsistent & unpredictable shipping practices means my cat has gone through a very unstable two months of trying this food, being without food for periods and having to pay the consequences of an inconsistent diet that could cause him damage and issues, such as vomiting a new food that he is not compatible with that I had to purchase as a stop-gap when smalls wasn't able to ship replacements for spoiled food. I can NOT believe they suggested I try to use food that had been stuck in the mail for 5 days and been exposed to temperatures that would promote bacterial growth that could harm or even kill my cat. It feels illegal to do so.

On top of everything else, the food comes in sausage-like packaging that is difficult to store and is super inconvenient to ration for your cat compared to every other cat food option. They use sustainability excuses but it's definitely a cost-saving solution for them. Oh and the sampler isn't a sampler. It's just a box of their different recipes each packaged for 3-ish days of food. So you have to try them one at a time, or have them go bad in the fridge when you're 1/3 the way through the packages (if you want to have them all side by side by your cat's old food to let them smell, explore, etc every day, that's gonna be super super difficult).

They seem like a new company that is really failing with logistics and customer service. They don't know how to treat customers well or track customers with a CRM and know the history of the relationship. If the food you ship doesn't arrive frozen, SEND A NEW BOX. That's such a simple solution, but they refuse to do it. They even emailed in November to say they weren't shipping food from 11-28th of December. Cool. I ordered food to ship out before then. I'm still trying to gauge how much my cat needs to last two weeks or a month. That shipment went out a day late, and ended up stuck until the following Monday. They didn't ship a new one out, and I was stuck without cat food for now going on three weeks. I can't have my cat subject to such inconsistency and poor, HORRIBLE service. He deserves better, and so do we all.

Smalls Company Information