4.5/5 (100 ratings)

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

About Smalls

Smalls cat food provides your cat with high-quality food through a subscription plan. Cats receive fresh, human-grade food packed with dry ice to keep it cool. Wet food is available in three recipes: chicken, turkey and beef with consistency choices of minced or pate. If your cat isn’t fond of wet food, Smalls also offers freeze-dried raw protein as a kibble alternative. It’s available in chicken, turkey and duck and includes the meat, bones and organs. Smalls also offers healthy treats and food-toppers to entice your cat.

Pros

• Recipes backed by science
  • Several plans to choose from
  • Human-grade ingredients
  • Plans are customizable

Cons

• More expensive than kibble
  • Food isn’t pre-portioned

Bottom Line

Smalls is a meal delivery service for your cat. A sampler helps you determine what products your pet likes. The plans allow for regular shipments of your cat’s favorite food at a pace and cost that fits your budget.

Banner image

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Smalls Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smalls?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smalls?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

My husband and I have had repeated conversations how we're feeding our cat a bunch of dried crap. Is kibble something cats have been feasting on for hundreds and thousands of years? No. So one day I did some extensive research online on the best wet food company that fit our budget and ran into Smalls multiples times. We decided to take that route and never looked back.

Our cat lost about 2 lbs and he looks and behaves so much more youthful. He also isn't chugging water like he used to since wet food takes care of most of that. It did take about a week and some change to convert him over from dried kibble. Their website had a bit of a malfunction when editing our order one time but I reached out to customer service and they were very helpful and accommodating. We're happy with them so far and will continue to give them our business for such outstanding business practices!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

The quality does seem very good, consistent with their marketing, although I don't know what standards apply to cat food (like third party verification of standards) to have a more formal review than "looks high quality". I'm sure all cats have their preferences, my cat puked up the beef both times I gave it to her so that was the end of that, she does like the chicken and turkey generally. I find I have to balance it with store bought (cheap) dry food every other meal so she doesn't have diarrhea. She never had a problem with the store bought cheap dry food before, but I hope I am giving her better nutrition this way? Also wish they had info on sustainability on the website, that seems to be missing.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I recently discovered that my cats (fatties) are eating up all of their freeze dried kibble from Smalls and I was running out before their next shipment arrived. As Smalls is carefully designed to provide the right amount of food for each cat with a subscription based on age, activity, and medical status (i.e. allergies), I was unable to add an extra bag to my order through the portal. I emailed customer service and asked that they add another bag, which they did promptly. I really appreciate that Smalls controls the subscriptions in a way that keeps me from getting too much food, or too little, keeping my pets' health as a top concern. Also appreciate that they are willing to give my fur babies the extra boost. *Cats aren't fat, but they are pleasantly fluffy.*

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

I use the Smalls Food For Cats for treats on top of the raw food diet that my crew eats. My kitties have never been healthier since they switched to a raw diet! My sweet Prince LOVES this food, and I have been able to train him to sit with a hand gesture for his treats! He BEGS and "talks/chirps" about it several times a day! The texture is crunchy which I think my kitties like on top of their primarily chewy diet. Highly recommend!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

My cats love Smalls. Food is quality and doesn’t stink like canned brands. My cats don’t like the beef, but it’s easy to pick your products for each delivery. Delivery is easy. Customer service is quick to respond.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

My cat absolutely loves Smalls (so much so that he doesn’t beg for mine)! The only downside is that I have to purchase a lot of food at once (I only have one cat) which means I keep having to delay shipments. Overall though it’s a great food.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

I was looking for human-grade, organic, healthy food for my cats that was affordable and convenient. Smalls checks all those boxes. In your first box you get to try a number of meat types + consistencies which was so helpful. My cats clearly loved certain ones more than others which helps when curating my boxes every month. High recommend!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

Always delivered on time, cold, and ready to freeze for later. My cats love the selection and it only takes a day in the fridge to de thaw. There is not too much in each package so it doesn't sit in the fridge and get bad. Just enough for my two cats for a day or so.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

We’ve been using Smalls for our cat’s food for some time now and we love it! We do a combination of fresh food and freeze-dried kibble and our cat loves it! And the customer service is also awesome, very responsive and helpful. Highly recommended

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

I like their fresh foods, no additives like gum or agar. One of my cat has less vomit and their poops size are now smaller which most of them are well observed in their system. Only complaint is that I can not control quantity of foods when I order.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

I have been using Smalls the second I got my two kitties. They are strong, very active boys. They absolutely love it and come crying for it whenever it is feeding time. They are healthy, hydrated, regular and have beautiful shiny coats. Not to mention their biodegradable packaging is amazing. And our kitties seem to know the Smalls box is theirs and always love to play in them. Highly recommend!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

Smalls has been great for our cat Mittens. We love feeding our furry friend healthy, fresh food instead of smelly canned food full of preservatives. It helps keep her at a healthy weight, and her fur is sooo shiny! Sometimes her taste changes, and she decides not to like the Smooth Bird for a while, but customer service is so easy to deal with we just change up her order for a while. We also love that it is on a subscription basis, so we never need to worry about buying or running out of food.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

I have two cats. Both are special needs, one has a sensitive digestive tract and the other is just picky about the texture of her food. Smalls is the first brand I've come across that they agree on and doesn't make either one sick!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

While it is more expensive than kibble, it has been easy to use and my cats' healths have improved. I have a cat with cystitis, a cat who is a rescue and needs healing up, and a third cat who is a kitten. This food is moisture rich and balanced. Much fewer urinary issues with my cystitis cat since we switched. It is less expensive than feeding canned, but more than kibble (which should be avoided as cats need moisture in their food). The company had also been really supportive when we lost a cat a year ago to stroke (she had a congenital heart issue). This is the best food for a cat that can be bought. It is easy to use and portion out. My cats like it and get excited when they see the container come out of the fridge at meal times.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

My cats have been eating Smalls for 2+ years now. You can really, really see the difference it makes. I had them on one of the healthiest kibbles on the market, but once I switched to Smalls, their coats started to shine like never before. My girl also used to throw up all the time, and she stopped completely. They love the pulled chicken the most, which I supplement with the freeze-dried raw duck kibble. It’s expensive and a bit of a hassle not being able to just leave out a bowl, but it’s very worth it to me.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

This is good food for cats. Not only is it good food, but my cat also loves it. We never need to run out with a monthly subscription. If we do, I adjust how much she needs and we don't run the next time.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I first heard about Smalls while on Facebook. I was hesitant to try at first but once I did, it was success. Hades fell in love with his food. I tried the chicken and turkey but, Hades finally chose turkey recipe. Besides the raw recipe, Hades adores the freeze dried in turkey and duck. Hades was having stomach issues and couldn't keep his store bought food down but after switching he no longer suffers from it. He became a different cat. I'm glad I decided to try smalls. I do wish I could call instead of email or text but anytime I have issues, the staff helps me resolve the issues and it does work out. I recommend this to who wants a healthy diet with their fur baby.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

My cat loves Smalls freeze dried kibble! He gobbles it right up, he loves the chicken and duck flavors. I also still give him some fish canned food as well as he didn’t ever take to the fresh smalls. I love how easy it is to order. My cat's coat and bowel movements are much healthier as well!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

My cats love this food and I appreciate the quality and the convenience. The customer service is great. My only suggestion would be to change the packaging. I really liked the rolls but they're no longer being sent.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

Smalls Raw food plan as well as the mixed wet food and dry food plans are amazing. The foods have virtually no fillers, are low in carbs and high in fats and proteins needed for cats. After 1 month consumption, my cat's fur coat was shiny. He absolutely loves the food. The only con is that food is a little expensive but the customer service is great.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I am a very satisfied customer of their products. There were a few times I had to contact their support, and support people were very very helpful and fixed my subscription issues very quickly. They sell fresh cat food (shipped frozen) and my cats are totally spoiled LOL. They do not want to eat anything but their cat food anymore. Also, my cats are getting older but they seem very healthy.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

We have been using Smalls cat food for about 1.5 years. Our cat loves the food and is very healthy, what I like about the food is that it does not smell awful like most wet cat food does! Some people are complaining about the food not being pre-portioned; weighing out portions with a scale is easy and convenient. In the beginning we had issues with poor customer service, but I am happy to report that it improved over time!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I order the fresh food, 6 different flavors, on a recurring 3 week basis. My cats seem to like the food, one is more picky than the other so she will only eat 4 flavors. I like that the food is high quality and that there is a lot of variety. I was told that they were bringing back a fish recipe but haven't seen it yet. They did add a new "pulled" variety which I think is the best one so far. The packaging is terrible, messy to open with either kind of packaging, but the tubes are preferred. Sometimes they mess up the order and then the timing is really annoying to get back on track. Customer service is just ok, but you can tell they try. Maybe a tad expensive but I'll keep buying it because it's quality food.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

This cat food is expensive, I will not argue that. However it is worth its weight in gold. My cats love it and their coats have never been healthier. My one cat suffers from a canned food allergy and this fixed that problem. No more poop streaks on my carpet or messy litter boxes. My other cat is just picky but will literally inhale this food. The vet is happy too. I hope this food will always be available, or I’ll have to start cooking for my cats.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I ordered the pulled chicken and turkey and my cat loves the food. Food looked very good (looked like when you get your own BBQ pulled chicken from restaurant). The price is comparable to the grain free can cat food that I used to feed my cat (Smalls cost about $27 per week per cat). The grain free food cost me about $20 per week per cat. Cat is happy, coat looks good and soft and his poop is not so stinky. I had adopted another cat (I had to take her back to the shelter as it didn't work out - sad- but she was adopted right the way), her poop smelled like naphthalene but after she stayed with us and feeding on Smalls it went away.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I've been using Small's consistently for about 3 years now and it's the best quality cat food I've found besides cooking my own. It took me a while to figure out portion sizes, feeding timing (I use the fresh meat only) and what flavors my cat likes, but now that we've got it down my cat is a totally different animal health-wise. The improvements in her coat, body, energy and overall health has been amazing and without a doubt worth the extra money. Also the customer service is excellent.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

Will probably never switch to getting my cat food any other way! This food is such high quality, and my cats love it. It was a little bit tricky at first to figure out the portioning, but since speaking with the cat concierges I was able to order the correct amount of food. Their website is very user friendly, and they recently added the option to edit the size/portion/when your box ships. I've only ever had one issue, and the company solved it right away and was courteous and willing to help. Thanks so much, Smalls! -Kelly, Pedro, and the three cats (August, Onyx, & Lua)

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

This is such a great company!! My cats love the food, and they have amazing customer service! They respond very quickly and have been so helpful! I recommend this company for sure! They have cat food, dog food, treats, and some toys!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I have been using Smalls since it started. After trying numerous different products nothing changed my cat, Monkey Butt's stomach issues. Not only has the food changed my cat's health but Smalls is the most customer oriented company I have ever dealt with. I am saying this after an almost 8 year relationship with them.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

My cat loves the Smalls food, and it’s improved the texture of his fur quite a bit. He’s very silky and smooth now! Smalls has a few shortcomings in their infrastructure however. Their ordering system is limited to basically a week out, you don’t have a lot of flexibility with ordering food. This might improve as the company grows. Overall the customer service has been good and I found it easy to postpone or cancel orders.

Smalls Company Information