2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (714 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: April 19, 2017

I like the fact that Nutro High Protein-Grain Free dog food is grain free, healthy and good for my beloved dog Boomer and my other dog Mississippi. They both are happy and excited to eat dinner every night and every day. I feel that Nutro dog food has met initial expectations because my dog Boomer and Mississippi enjoys it and keeps him healthy. I have tried other brands which did not meet my expectations. I feel safe that their standards are higher than other brands which gives me a peace of mind. The price is a little high but worth it.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I like that it is grain free and I like the high protein content. It is not too expensive for a high quality dog food. I purchased it because it was recommended to me by a friend so I tried it and was very pleased with the nutrition and the fact my dog liked it very well. I think it is very good for him.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Tasty, easy to use and has a great value. The High Protein-Grain Free is high quality and reliable. I like how nutritious it is and inviting for my dog. It is innovative and good for on the go and appetizing. It is outstanding and my dog loves it.

Original review: April 18, 2017

My 2 Boston Terriers liked Nutro Dog Food. I was trying to find a meal that my Bostons would eat dry. They initially were slow to eat it as they had been used to a soft food. I often added fresh vegetables to it simply to create some variety and this has worked well. I found it served them and they did not have digestion issues. They were regular with a nice consistency to bowel released. The cost could be less. I tend to like some variety fit my critters. As far as the quality and size of the meal, the Bostons were fine with it. But I try to adjust the amount I give them to keep their weight in line. I found that a scant half cup satisfied them.

Original review: April 17, 2017

I chose Nutro High Protein-Grain Free because it was one of the first brands I noticed on the shelf that was grain free, and the price wasn't bad compared to what I have seen with other grain-free dog foods. It's reasonably priced to be grain free. My dog has a grain allergy that causes him to lose his hair when he eats grains and I have noticed he has a healthier shinier coat when he eats this food. He also seems to have more energy even if he is an older dog. My dog really seems to enjoy and love the taste of the dog food and always finishes his bowl. So in my opinion, this dog food has completely met my expectations, and maybe beyond.

I wish this brand of dog food were available at more locations and at mass merchandisers, which are generally closer to my home than the specialty pet stores. Most of the time I have to go to a specialty pet or feed store to find this brand and line of products. A variety in flavors in the grain free would be nice, too. I usually only see about 2 to 3 different flavors in this brand in grain free when I shop for this product at the store.

Original review: April 17, 2017

I am tired of feeding my dogs BS that hurts them and makes them lethargic, groggy, poor health with regards to their joints as well as their digestive tract. Nutro High Protein-Grain Free has improved my dogs behavior. They have responded with having more energy and passion about playing and they goof around a lot more than they use to and the energy is well received. The only thing I dislike is the price. It is very expensive and I am not a cheap-skate. We as a family don't have any extra money at the end of the month however, I know my dogs are worth it because they are just like family. It has fit my needs minus price.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Our year old Golden all of the sudden won't eat that food. Dry or wet. They changed the color of their packaging and I think they change the formula. He won't touch it. In fact he was sick last week and we really didn't know why. Now we know. Moved on to using Science Diet once again.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Nutro has met my expectations. My dog seems to truly enjoy the flavor and her health and appearance has greatly improved since switching to Nutro High Protein Grain Free. It keeps my girl happy and healthy with lots of energy. I like that it provides the protein my dog needs without the horrible fillers. I own a pit bull who is not so much a picky eater but when she eats dog foods with corn or by-products her hair starts looking all dingy.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free was recommended to me by the lady that owns the dog feed store I go to. I originally asked her what she recommended due to my dog having gas and diarrhea. And my dog seems to really like it a lot. It doesn't have the greatest smell but I can deal with that. It has no fillers, high in protein, and they have a few different flavors in case I want to switch it up. It is also grain free which is a plus. No corn and other crap that is of no use for my dog.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Dog food should deliver natural nutrients targeted to dog's unique life stage, breed size, and health condition. It should be liked by my dog and it will come out in various forms. Nutro Dog Food uses the high-quality natural ingredients in all canned, dry dog, and treat foods. It has good amount of protein, grain-free and tastes good. It also contains all essential nutrients that my dog needs. It is very different from other dog foods. Moreover, my dog loves it.

Original review: April 15, 2017

Originally I had a coupon so I wanted to try Nutro High Protein-Grain Free, but then my dogs fell in love with it and it has given my dogs more energy and their hair seems brighter and healthier. They seem to love the taste and they seem happy to eat it. It is healthy for my dogs and I like that it is easy to digest. I like health benefits that it provides and I like that there are flavor choices. I have no complaints or problems as we all benefit and it is even on sale sometimes.

Original review: April 15, 2017

What I like about Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is that all three large breed dogs seem to enjoy it. It appears to make for less shedding than some cheap brands of dog food. There is less defecation to clean up which is nice. You don't have to feed as much as cheap food to maintain a good body weight on this food. The bloodhound, GSP and Weimaraner all love Nutro and it seems great for their coat. But the size of Nutro bags compared to some other dog food and the cost is something I'm not especially happy about leavings me wondering if there are other equal dog foods out there for cheaper price.

Original review: April 15, 2017

I looked at the nutrition label and was looking for a food that grain was not the first ingredient. I like that Nutro is high protein and grain free - it gives my pets energy and they really like the food. They get super excited at meal time and always eat all their food. I don't dislike anything. If I had to change anything perhaps offer a little bites so that my small dog has an easier time eating it. Other than that it meets my needs completely at a price I could afford.

Original review: April 14, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free has the nutrition content my dog need and easy to feed. She seemed happy if I give her this dog food. She is energetic and fit. It has a reasonable price too. The smell is kinda strong for me but not for my dog. She seemed loved and enjoying it. I trust the brand for my dog. It's just perfect for my dog's diet and nutrition and as she is a good size dog she needs a good nutrition getting from a dog food.

Original review: April 14, 2017

I initially got Nutro Dog Food because it was grain free and high protein. It had great ingredients and very attractive packaging. It comes in a great variety of flavors to choose from that my dogs love. It's natural and easy for them to digest and my dogs really enjoy it a lot. It is one of the best in market right now and it helps keep my dogs healthy and happy. The size is great and it is a very high quality for a low price which was also good. I made a very good choice. Nutro could improve a little by adding some more flavors or maybe coming up with limited edition flavors but all in all there is nothing I dislike. I would like to see seasonal flavors though. That would be awesome.

Original review: April 14, 2017

I had a coupons and decide to buy this product. I like the way the can looks and it's healthy and have the right amount of vitamins in it but most important point is that my dog really like it. I have tried other dog food at a lower price but my dog wouldn't eat it. If the store had it at a very good price I stock up on it so I would run out. I like this product a lot if you can make the can bigger size and also make a lot of different flavor for my dogs to eat. And also it would be nice to be able to find it on the grocery shelf and bigger bags would be very helpful. I told my friends about it and they bought it for their animals. They said their animals really like the product a lot so I been buying Nutro dog food ever since.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I want a dog food that keeps my dog healthy and happy as well as has all of the right nutrients that he needs. Nutro high protein grain-free has all ingredients my dog needs to be healthy. I like everything about this Nutro dog food. I liked the ingredients and how it is not only grain free but higher protein to give my dog the energy and nutrients that he needs with no fillers and additives, just healthy meats, vegetables and fruits so he is healthy.

Original review: April 13, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free - My dog has allergies, and a lot of dog food seems to make her itch. She won't eat most of the dog foods that are good for her. She absolutely loves new trail though! But dogs need a change of pace and Nutro should come out with a few different varieties of flavors in the grain-free. Also, the price of the dog food is expensive but dog food is always expensive and I don't mind spending more on my pet, if it makes her healthy and happy.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Many dog products have healthy ingredients glucosamine and chondroitin help support healthy joint mobility, while vitamins and minerals promote balanced nutrition. I like the selection and varieties you can choose from especially from online stores like Petsmart where shipping is free on $29 or over orders. Food is usually specially formulated to support the nutritional needs of your large-breed/small breed adult dogs. However, the packages are a little small and expensive. Other than that, it's a great product and worth buying. I would highly recommend it to any dog owner who cares about his dog's health.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I really really like that the Nutro dog food is high in protein, and is packed with many very healthy ingredients. I chose it for the reason of the combination of great quality for a great price. It's a great choice. My dog loves Nutro brand High Protein-Grain Free dog food!

Original review: April 12, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free - The most important thing is that corn is not the first or second ingredient. I buy it very often and Max loves it and eats it up quickly. I like to give my Max the best and only if he likes it. The price can sometimes be rather high but it is a very good product and I don't mind spending more for. My dog is very worth it.

Original review: April 12, 2017

What I like about Nutro Dog Food is that it is a healthy and natural food for my dogs. It is grain and wheat free and doesn't contain ingredients that are harmful to my dogs. I like the different varieties and flavors that they offer and the different problems that each bag of dog food targets. It was recommended by a friend and it had the flavor of my previously used dog food. The one that I used to regularly purchased was not going to be sold at my local PetSmart store anymore so I had to find an alternative. The thing that I dislike about the Nutro Dog Food is that it seems similar to other brands. I would like them to come up with new flavors that haven't been done before and have that cutting edge on the competition. I also would like the price to be a little lower and for the bags to come in more sizes than what is currently offered.

Original review: April 11, 2017

Nutro Dog Food has good ingredients and it seems to be a match for my mixed 2 year olds. We use other foods before but I think his hair and skin are actually healthier and I followed the recommended food amount and he's been more active. My dog didn't want eat at first and I had to add beef broth to it for about a week and now that's all I give him. This product has all the ingredients necessary and high protein for my 110 lb. Shepherd and he loves it. It comes with minerals and vitamins that very large breeds needs for bone growth and health.

Original review: April 11, 2017

Nutro Dog Food has the ingredients that I am looking for and doesn't have the ingredients I am trying to avoid. How healthy it is for my dog and the great ingredients that it has for my pets and how nutritious it is. It is a brand that I trust. My dog eats this brand happily. I love the ingredients that it contains and I trust that it will provide the nutrition that it provides so that my dog will grow and will lead a healthy life. There is nothing I dislike about it. The brand has never let me down.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I choose Nutro High Protein-Grain Free dog food because my dog enjoy it a lot and made up of good quality ingredient. I expect that this dog food brand has a highest nutrients and it was believable. My dog always finish all his food. The packaging is relevant and appealing to my dog and it really fits to my dog. I am really satisfied of it and I am more likely to buy it in the market. Improvement may be stock more in the market and make some variety of flavors so they have choices.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I prefer to give my dogs this natural ingredients type of food. Healthier for them. The ingredients list looks like high quality ingredients in there. Meat is main ingredient and no grains. Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is a great brands that I also buy for my cats. They love the taste and I love the quality. This Nutro food has meet my expectations because they eat it eagerly and I know it is healthier for them to eat this instead of other brands with grains or by-products. Maybe just more different flavors be made available to give my dogs more choices of tastes. Maybe adding softer pieces mixed with the hard pieces to give my dogs variety in texture also.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I liked the fact that Nutro was grain free. Also the fact that it was not too expensive and it was sold by my favorite retailer, was a big plus in my books. My dog is very finicky, and he enjoyed it. It was the right size, as I don't have a car, and had to get it into a cab. I thought it would be the best food for my older dog. I like the fact that it was a healthy food for my dog. He's 17 years old, and I've tried a lot of dog foods on him. Most of them, I have to donate to the local animal shelter, because he won't eat them.

Original review: April 9, 2017

I like that it has high proteins grains and fresh ingredients. It's very healthy for my pet and it allows my pet to have an indulgent meal while still being healthy and still being tasty. It's perfect for my pet. This is exactly what a pet owner needs and wants in a product and even more than I expected. I had read great things regarding this brand. It had great ingredients that are healthy, fresh and also from real vegetables and meats instead of artificial preservatives.

Original review: April 9, 2017

Keeps my dog healthy, without having problems, and of course, he like the taste! I think it's better than Purina and other brands. Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is the best for my dog. That's why I still buy it.

Original review: April 8, 2017

I am pleased with Nutro High Protein-Grain Free dog food because it was available at stores near me and also met the nutritional requirements for my dogs. It is also priced more reasonably than other products of a similar quality. Dogs need protein and it is what they are designed to eat. It makes them live longer and helps their coat. I also feel like I see a boost in their energy levels when I feed it to them. And they love it. I have to sneak it into the bowl to keep from getting knocked over. The only thing I don't like is the bag, which tends to be slippery and I've dropped it in the past. Maybe it needs a handle or a material that's easier to grip, especially in bigger bags. Also maybe a resealable bag.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information