2.11/5

Looking for a pet store?

Ventura, CA

Looking for a pet store?

204 High Tech Pet Store Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 28, 2019

I work nights which means I sleep during the day. My dogs can go in-and-out during the day and not wake me genius. I have and to have 2 sliders at my door and so I have a unit that fits in my slider window. It's not cheap. We have several batteries that we rotate for the unit. We have upgraded to the more waterproof controllers and they work well as long is the dogs don't lose them. The only downside to the unit is that my indoor cat has figured out how to go to the door and meow so that the dogs will let her out. Clearly she is the boss of the house.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have had a PX-1 Power Pet door for my 2 cats for 4 years. No problems ever. I live in the SOCAL mountains. The cats can each go in and out 6 or 7 times a day. The feral cats, skunks, raccoons and squirrels can't come in anymore. The door has worked flawlessly for 4 years. Had problems with original collar transmitters, but latest versions seem to work fine. It took my cats at least 2 minutes to learn how to use the door. I have had absolutely no problems with Customer Service. The transmitters are a little expensive, but I assume they are not manufactured 100,000 at a time, so they cost more. My cats would rate this product with *******.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We bought the electric dog door 6 years and it has never failed us. We have not had any problems with the collars or the batteries. We make sure to have collar batteries on hand and check them every month or two to see if we need to change them. The door also has the back up battery feature which we have never had to use. Highly recommend it! I can say the customer service hasn't been the most friendly, but I have been able to get through to them via their email and via phone.

Original review: March 16, 2019

When it's working, it's terrific. I've had the PX-2 door for not quite a year and today the door wouldn't open. According to High Tech's online tech support, I need a replacement circuit board, $80, and I've had to replace two MS-5 collars at $50 a piece. The backup battery also went out, $50 to purchase another. Seems to me that a circuit board should last at least a few years, and there. Paid nearly $400 of this, so to have to replace a circuit, battery and two MS-5's is a bit much in less than a year. I will take the blame for one of the MS-5's, but the other is on High Tech.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchased a large electric door for our Lab over 10 years ago. The concept is wonderful and overall I am pleased with the operation. The problem lies with the dog collars that they sell. Not sure how many I have had to buy over the years, but I would believe it is in excess of 25. The quality, or lack thereof is beyond belief. They all leak and fail within a short period of time. They then came out with their improved MS-5 version "water resistant". What a bunch of "BS". In addition to the poor quality of these more expensive collars the company takes an inexpensive 2430 battery and modifies the collar so that you must buy their battery for 6 times the price. Have you no shame??

I have been in business all my life and the one thing I have learned is not to abuse your customers. I think the concept is great, and I have recommended it to several people. They all like the product but have the same complaints. I guess there are remedies available to the consumer for problems such as these, but I have been too lazy, or too busy to avail myself of these. I certainly hope that the company reads this comment, as well as the overwhelming number of other negative comments and addresses these issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about High Tech Pet Store?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Please do not buy from them. I bought my second auto-pet door from them 7 weeks ago because the first I purchased for $400 stopped working after 18 months. The other reviews that mention the incompetent or nonexistent customer service are accurate: the door, of course, was out of warranty, so I have to purchase a new one and I thought 'this one has to be better than the last, I'm sure they've improved the engineering and design of these things…' Well, I wouldn't know, because the sensor that goes on the pet collar that they sent me was faulty.

After sending Liz – the one and only person in the "office"– my proof of purchase she promised she would mail another one out. Weeks later, nothing. Last week, after waiting on hold for 11 minutes and no one answering the phone, and sending another follow-up email, she wrote me back saying "It must've gotten lost in the mail." I'm sure. So she promised she would overnight one. 5 days later? Nothing. So I called and asked for the overnight tracking # and she said she has to "look it up and call me back." I knew then that there was no tracking number, that she was lying. When I sent her an email threatening to report them to Consumer Affairs she emailed me a tracking number. Lo and behold, it was only sent today. Unbelievable. This place is a joke.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The cable inside my dog door snapped, so I ordered a new one for $19.95 at 1:47 pm on a Thursday and paid them $30 extra to have the part shipped to me OVERNIGHT. They placed the order the next day at 11:30 am Friday and shipped it thru FedEx which will not arrive until MONDAY AT 8 PM. That's hardly "overnight service" in my book. They kept my $30. Beware: This company will NOT work with any customer on any kind of matter. This company has ZERO customer service.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I have been a customer of High Tech Pet for over 3 years, I have always had a great experience with their customer service any time I have called to place an order over the phone or for technical support. I have recommended High Tech Pet to all of my friends and family. Their products have been a real lifesaver!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I purchased the X-22 system because I liked the features of having an in ground fence as well as a bark collar and the ability to train the dogs (2 of them) using Bluetooth from our phones. Within the first 2 months after installing the system, the collars stopped working. I called the company and they promptly sent 2 new ones. These collars also stopped working within a month. Wanting to give the company the benefit of the doubt and still believing that the advertised features of the system were worth the aggravation, I called the company and they again sent 2 new collars. Since then, the new collars have once again stopped working and my dogs have disappeared from the yard 3 times, once they were gone for 3 hours before I found them.

I called the company today to return the system for a refund and they stated that since it had been 6 months since I bought purchased the system, there was nothing they could do for me. They have refused to accept the return and issue anything other than a store credit good for one of their other worthless products. I should have believed the reviews I read online and stayed away from this company. They make an inferior product that cost twice what PetSafe's does and it requires special batteries that have to be shipped to you and cost $16 a piece. HORRIBLE COMPANY, HORRIBLE PRODUCT, HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I cannot believe that it can possibly cost $16.50 to ship two TINY batteries to Canada. It is bad enough that the batteries themselves cost $13 but to add another $16 to them is ridiculous. I would like an answer to how you justify that cost?

High Tech Pet Store Company Information