3.6/5 (259 ratings)

About Figo Pet Insurance

Figo offers customizable coverage built for millennial pet parents. The company offers three comprehensive plans, and you can add optional coverage like Wellness, Veterinary Exam Fee or the Extra Care Pack. Figo offers up to 100% reimbursement, which is extremely rare for a pet insurance company and helps ensure you can keep costs down on large vet bills.

Pros

• Flexible plan options
  • No upper age limit
  • Claim filing via app
  • 24/7 live vet chat

Cons

• Wellness plans not included in base coverage
  • Standard plan doesn't pay exam fees

Bottom Line

Figo Pet Insurance offers three customizable plans covering accidents and illnesses for dogs and cats at least 8 weeks old. Plans with 100% reimbursement or unlimited annual benefits are available.

Figo Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Figo Pet Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Figo Pet Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

They have come through when we’ve needed them the most. Because of FIGO, our furbabies did not become victims of financial euthanasia. Prices are reasonable and you can pick your deductible and % of coverage, easy to customize.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Last May our 4 year old Bichon-Frise suddenly displayed neurological problems. She was rapidly losing use of her hind legs, and became painful to touch. We brought her to our local vet, and they referred us to a full service clinic that has a neurosurgeon on staff. Turns out our dog has a fairly common condition, intervertebral disc disease (IVDD), a diagnosis given to us while we sat in our car in the parking lot. A treatment plan which included surgery was given, and a price range of $7200-$9600 was given, and we had to pay the low end of range for service to be rendered. We authorized a payment to our credit card.

The dog recovered, final bill was actually $6100, I submitted the invoice via Figo's app, and within 48 hours, I had reimbursement for appropriate amount in my designated bank account. Three months after surgery, our dog had a relapse. We repeated the same steps, and again Figo reimbursed for surgery. On top of all this, Figo paid for therapy. My wife and I would have paid for the first surgery regardless, but thanks to Figo our decision to do the second surgery was quite easy.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I had to send in a insurance quote and got a response pretty quick. What I was not thrilled to learn is my coverage went from 80 to 70% coverage. Was told a notice was sent out but clearly was unaware of it or I would of kept it at 80.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

My experiences with Figo have been great, other than rates going up substantially and coverages being unreasonable, specifically the high deductible. If they don't improve on my next renewal I will shop around. Customer service was superb!

Hi Alex,

We're sorry to hear about this experience. When Bandit's policy renewed back in September 2020, we were transitioning into our new underwriter, IAIC. With this change, not every policy was able to translate exactly. This is why we emailed our recommended coverage options with ample time so that modifications could be made to tailor your plan to suit Bandit's needs and your budget. We'd love the opportunity to speak further on this matter, so feel free to call us when you are able!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I've had smooth experiences getting reimbursement from Figo. The plan has some tricky exemptions (like worms/parasites) that I wish were more obvious upfront. I also had an issue where one of my claims they tried to deny claiming it was a preexisting issue and I had to get my vet to write a letter explaining that it was not.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

My renewal increased from approximately $30 a month to $1000 without notice or explanation. Even at the $1000 a month it was less than the coverage I originally signed up for. Customer service could have cared less about this unfair situation so of course I cancelled my policy. Customers do not come first at Figo! Disgusted!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I liked Figo insurance. However they changed underwriters and they hiked the price of coverage for my dog to a ridiculously high rate and for less coverage than I previously had. I chose to cancel the policy because I was able to find better coverage at a better price with a few other insurers, and ultimately went with an insurer that has better coverage, with a lower deductible, and a lower premium.

Hi Jennifer,

We're sorry to hear about this renewal experience. When we switched to our new underwriter, IAIC, we did so in hopes that our rates would stabilize over time. Alongside this change, not every coverage combo was able to match precisely, so we issued our coverage recommendation 30 days before renewal to ensure there was ample time to find a more suitable plan. We are sad to see you have already canceled your policy, but we appreciate having protected Savi since 2018 and wish you well!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Our experience with FIGO has been very positive. They are clear in what they cover, quick to process claims, the electronic submission and direct deposit is convenient and much faster than the "old days" of faxing or mailing submissions. Our canine family member has had unexpected hospitalizations (infection with pancreatitis) as well as unexpected leg surgery after trauma. We have premium coverage, and FIGO covered 100%. We will stick with FIGO!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I cannot say enough bad things about how illegally they increased, DOUBLED, my plan in less than two years with no explanation other than a new underwriter. It was gross negligence and 100% bait and switch. They should be sued.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

They treated us awful when they switched underwriters. They tripled the premium and lowered his benefit amounts. Tripled his deductible. Denied our claims. Made it impossible to switch because now he has preexisting conditions. How is it justifiable to triple everything. For no coverage. You are just a scam.

Hi Michele,

We're sorry to hear about this. When Cosmo renewed into our new underwriter, not every coverage combination matched precisely. Bearing this in mind, we emailed our recommended coverage options a month prior to renewal so that we could find a more suitable plan to suit Cosmo's needs as well as your budget. While we're sad to see you've canceled your policy, we were honored to have been part of Cosmo's journey since 2019 and wish you both a very safe & happy new year!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Annually my policies would go up a few dollars which I did not mind and understand they changed underwriters several times. However the last renewal all 3 of my pets' policies TRIPLED which is absurd.

Hi Marcela,

We're sorry to hear about this experience. Our rates are based on these factors: your pet's age, breed, & gender, and vet costs in your zip code. Since these are reevaluated annually, you can expect to see a slight increase in premium at renewal. Likewise, we were with the same underwriter, Markel, from 2015-2020 and chose to switch to IAIC in the hopes that our rates will stabilize. We're sad to see you've canceled, but are honored to have been able to protect your pets since 2019.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I've been with Figo over two years and my Chocolate Lab is covered by Figo. He has environmental allergies and gets shots almost monthly. Figo pays promptly and I've never had a problem with a claim. I've recommended them to friends.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I research extensively before subscribing to any service, and pet insurance was no different. Figo offered an affordable rate for my pup at 8 weeks when we got her, and paid out over $4k with no hassle when at 2.5 years my pup needed surgery for a torn ligament. My fear was any major issue would be tied up and quested by the insurer while I was in the hook for the bill, but FIGO made the process painless and paid out within 1 week of filing my claim. The added travel benefit in the event of an emergency for our plan might not be utilized, but is a great peace of mind to have that other insurers do not provide.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

We have more than pleased with FIGO Insurance coverage for our dog. They have been efficient in processing our claim - as advertised without any issues whatsoever! We would highly recommend them to our friends.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Never had a issue with Figo, it’s been a great experience since the beginning and wouldn’t have been able to give me pet the treatment she needs without them, am really grateful for having them as a insurance policy.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Figo is excellent to work with on insuring our beloved pup. Their claim process is simple - I love the A.I. interface. Their claim review processing time is faster than any insurance company I have ever worked with (pet, human, structure or vehicle). Their explanation of benefits is transparent and easy to understand. Finally, their app is fantastic - it’s so easy to find everything I need quickly.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Figo is easy to file claims with. They pay quickly, but their premiums have skyrocketed to a point where I was forced to increase the deductible. They switched to a new underwriter, I was told to keep costs down---but it DID Not help!!!

Hi Wanda,

We're sorry to hear about this experience. When your pets' policies renewed into our new underwriter, IAIC, not all prices were able to translate seamlessly. Keeping this in mind, we emailed recommended coverage 30 days prior to renewal to ensure there would be time to make any necessary adjustments. We would love to speak about this matter more in-depth, so please feel free to give us a call at your earliest convenience. Wishing you, Riley, & Rudy a very safe & happy new year!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

In the beginning, Figo was great. The coverage was generous and the premiums were really reasonable. Claims were paid quickly. Then your company was acquired and premiums went up and coverage went down. It was disappointing and frustrating. So I changed companies.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

To date, FIGO has been everything they said they would be. We have been with them for almost 4 years and have had zero issues. They covered what we expected them to cover. For us, the monthly premiums are well within budget.... We have 3 cats and 2 dogs covered. They even insure my 15 year old cat at a very reasonable rate. We couldn’t recommend enough. I am always singing their praises to others.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

After our pup was in and out of the hospital due to seizures for unknown reasons we were thankful we had Figo to help cover his expenses. Figo was quick and provided great customer service with our claims. Highly recommend.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

When they first started they were amazing and covered everything. After a new company took over they are still good, however there are a lot more stipulations and hoops to jump through before they will insure you and what they will cover. They pay quickly. The staff is very nice! The app works extremely well and fast! Still wishing they stayed the first company!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

It’s a wonderful feeling not having to chose between my fur baby’s health/well-being and finances. We have had numerous close calls with vet bills being $500+ and I’ve only had to pay ~$100 or so. Figo is amazing. I recommend it to all of my pet owning friends.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I actually cancelled my Figo policies for both dogs about 9 months ago due to the huge increases in premiums and the horrible customer service experiences. I was told that suddenly, a skin condition that you had been covering for the LIFE of my older dog, was now PREEXISTING, due to a new underwriter, so you would not cover it any more. Bait and switch! And then in a period of about 2 years premiums nearly tripled. Paying more for less service. I am now with NationWide, fair premiums, great customer service, and timely claims....no hassles. I will never recommend FIGO again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

We initially loved Figo, especially because we insured our cat later in life, and not a lot of pet insurance companies offer decent pet insurance when the pets are older. Figo (or at least our policy) was originally underwritten by Markel. When they were bought out by Independence America (last year or two), they literally tripled our premium at the renewal date, and substantially reduced the benefits and also created a huge spike in our deductible. Plus, the customer service during that transition was very uneducated and not very helpful. That alone was very disappointing. But then, they became incredibly focused on scrutinizing each claim to find a reason to not pay it. Any loophole they can find, they leverage it.

I have had to appeal two separate claims and even with letters from the vet, indicating why the treatment fell under my policy’s terms, they don’t budge - or budge very minutely, but not enough to really make a difference. Also, some of the terms make no sense. For example, they don’t cover oral surgery, at all - even if it’s due to an illness or disease. Our cat has an oral mass that needed to be removed and in order to remove the mass, they had to remove the tooth. Figo decided not to cover the entire surgery because they claim that it was oral surgery to do a tooth extraction. They said they would only cover it, if it was an accident/injury - not an illness. But the main reason that we get pet insurance is to cover illness, diseases, etc. This simply doesn’t make sense to me. And now, they are not paying things that they had paid a few months ago (still same policy year).

It’s super sad and discouraging to pour so much into premiums and deductibles, only to find them constantly finding loopholes to not pay the claims. We have Healthy Paws for our other 3 creatures - literally Thank God. HP is the absolute best pet insurance company, and are very generous in their claim reviews and payments, and take their customers at their word, placing a high value on customer care / service. If you’re going to invest in pet insurance, skip Figo, for sure. Choose Healthy Paws.

Hi Raechel,

We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with Figo so far. We want to assure you that we switched underwriters with our pet parents' best interest in mind! Our previous underwriter had a history of issuing very high rate increases year after year, with additional increases going forward. We are hopeful our new underwriter can provide more rate stability going forward. We understand your concerns about your recent claim outcome and a Figo Supervisor will be in touch soon!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

My dog is around 13 years old and I rescued her over 8 years ago. I hadn't really considered insurance until she started getting older and was worried that the time would come when she would have an issue and knew I would do whatever it took to take care of her. I took out pet insurance over a year ago before she had any issues. The first year I put through a couple visits and had no issue with reimbursement. Just this past month she had to have emergency surgery and between the vet visit and the subsequent emergency room visit, it was over $8,000.

While I had no issues with previous submissions, I was concerned that because of the high cost of surgery the insurance company might not want to reimburse me. It took longer than the other submissions but the other ones were reimbursed within a couple days. Figo had to wait for some notes from my vet and emergency room. They closed the case before they received those notes but opened it right away after I called and got my vet to send the notes. Once that happened, I received reimbursement of about $6,50, after deductible with my 90% plan. The only thing not reimbursed was tax. All in all, even with those issues and the high cost, it took them about 8-10 days to approve the claim and to deposit it in my account.

My premiums went up after the first year but the reality is with her age and the submissions, it was to be expected. I'm not looking forward to what the premiums will be next year but there's not much I wouldn't do for my girl. I'd definitely recommend them as I've not had any problems with coverage and it saved me so much.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Very disappointed that the price keeps going up every year. I had her join Figo at one year old and now she’s 3. Since then every year the fee keeps going up by so much money. There is no other excuse except that there are new underwriters and that lolas old now.... She’s only 3. She’s not old or sick at all.

Hi Gissel,

We're sorry to hear your renewal premium wasn't what you anticipated. This year, Lola's policy renewed into our new underwriter, IAIC, and with this change, not all coverage combinations matched exactly. With our pet parents' best interests in mind, we are hopeful with IAIC's reputable standing in the pet industry that our rates will stabilize moving forward. A customer experience supervisor will be reaching out regarding alternate options.

Best wishes to you & Lola

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Pleased with my time as a Figo policy holder. Mobile app was iffy, had to close and open a couple times to get it to work, when it worked it was pretty slow. Filing a claim was usually quite simple and the review time and reimbursement time was pretty quick. My only displeasure was when Figo changed their underwriter (I think?) and thus changed my policy. The new "equivalent" policy was a rip-off. Raised my deductible by about $200, raised my monthly payments by about $25, and then lowered the percentage coverage offered. It was insulting and very scammy. Luckily, ending my time with this company was easy and simple. If Figo has a policy you find reasonable, it was a good company to work with to make sure my dog was kept healthy and I was kept not broke doing so.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

The best part of Figo is their mobile app and how easy it is to use. I can submit a claim on my phone in less than two minutes! Figo processes claims very quickly and I have money in my account very quickly. Unfortunately I needed to use it quite a bit this year and it paid for itself this year and the first year! I highly recommend FIGO!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I love Figo Insurance! It is quick and easy to file a claim. I just use my phone to take pictures of the paperwork. My money is easily deposited right into my checking account. Doesn't get easier than that!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

We are new to pet insurance but knew that we had to get it for our Greyhound. The app works so well and it's super easy to put a claim through. We have had no issues over the past year with Figo and will definitely recommend them.

Figo Pet Insurance Company Information