3.8/5 (83 ratings)

About Consumer Reports

Consumer Reports Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

CR used to provide non-biased ratings on products which I felt I could count on. That is why I was a long time subscriber. Recently (maybe a year ago or so ) I started noticing liberal bias creeping into the articles and personal opinions from the writer. For example, in the latest issue an article entitled "Keep Calm and Come Together" featured 6 pages of drivel about keeping yourself safe from covid. No scientific-based fact on anything published and the tone is that of the "nanny state". The suggestions are laughable and do not belong in a so-called unbiased magazine. Also, I've noticed the CRO editorial pandering to liberal viewpoints and comments that do not belong in this type of magazine! I am canceling my print, digital and On Health subscriptions and hope others who feel this way will also do so. A message needs to be sent.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I have used "Consumer Reports" for many purchases including major appliances and even cars!! Always consistent and reliable.. Graphic artwork and layouts are always of the very best quality.. Right down to the paper used..Glossy or matte true experience I look forward to.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

This app and website is easily accessible, but there could be more advertisements of the app and site. For more public coverage. If there was a way that this opportunity could be more advertised to the public through social media platforms.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

My review is pending your approval. It states that I must verify my email, but there isn’t a link for me to do that. I checked my email account, and I have an email from Consumer Reports, but I see no link that allows me to verify my email address.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have found Consumer Reports spot on for any large purchase. I have bought my last two Subaru’s based on Consumer Reports. I trust them because they are unbiased in their research as well as consumer testimonials for every product both positive and negative.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I purchased a subscription primarily to access their annual Best Sunscreen Reviews. All along they have been saying that the best sunscreens block both UVA and UVB rays. This year, however, they rated the best sunscreen as only blocking UVA rays. I find this very confusing and unprofessional. Do they do that with other products as well?

Original review: April 4, 2020

They rating best cars as average predicted reliability. For example Toyota Rav4. We all know it is one of the best. At same time Chevrolet gets best scores. Propaganda. BS. Will not buy or view never again. Use your own judgment and common sense.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I have been a Consumer Reports customer for over 30 years. They used to publish decent reliability statistics in their magazine and on-line that you could trust. BUT NO MORE! The last several years, their product ratings have not been complete or accurate. I do my own research and have concluded that you cannot trust their ratings. The latest example is their rating of heat pumps. Trane is ranked the best and Goodman is ranked at the bottom by Consumer Reports. Since my 12 year old high efficiency Trane heat pump failed after 12 years (6 repairs in that time), I know about Trane. So I researched on-line and found an excellent website of a 25 year old company that installs all major brands (**) and who ranks heat pumps. Their ratings show Goodman at the top and Trane toward the bottom.

Which rating do think is accurate? Local HVAC contractors all recommend Goodman because of the reliability and lower cost. My neighbors who have Goodman report no problems. Consumer Reports is no longer the source for reliable research on ANY product. I have done research on other products (electronics, water treatment, etc.) and had the same result. I recommend to anyone who is buying a major product to search that industry on the internet for unbiased ratings. Consumeraffairs.com is an excellent place to start. They rate Consumer Reports 1 star. There are reasons for that.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Of the 22 product categories listed under Products: Babies and Kids, Consumer Reports.org is actively testing and updating only 3 categories: Carseats, Strollers, and humidifiers. The other 19 categories are either not currently being tested or permanently archived. When speaking with a customer service representative, the Customer Reports member defended the organization's position by stating that the information is still relevant and useful because the products are still available in the market place.

However, Customer Reports' decision to no longer test products within the 19 of the 22 baby & kid categories suggests that infant and child safety is no longer relevant to their mission statement or organizational goals. And as such, Consumer Reports should remove the pages or permanently archived them rather than continuing to list the pages in the same manner as "actively tested" products. The disclaimers posted to the individual page are not enough; the pages should be moved or removed.

Active Categories: Carseats, Strollers, Humidifiers. Consumer Reports is not currently testing: baby monitors, cribs, High Chairs, thermometers. Consumer Reports no longer updates this product category and maintains it for archival purposes only: baby bathtubs, baby food, baby formula, backpack carriers, backpacks, bassinets, bike trailer, breast pump, crib bedding, crib mattress, diaper bags, diapers, nursing bra, play yards, safety gates.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I have been reading this magazine for years. I have now retired and have more time but I was not happy when I seen the large donations they accepted from large foundations like Ford and Robert Wood Johnson. These are still large companies and you cannot be non bias when you accept money from them. Also they give or rent your personal information the collected from magazine subscriptions. Also I sent in a magazine discount coupon for subscription and they sent me a bill for twice the amount. Shame on you Consumers. You are not for the people anymore. It all about where you can get money from. UNHAPPY CONSUMER

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We cancelled our subscription and auto-pay in Nov, which was for $7.95 a month. Magically, a $10 charge starts appearing from Consumer Reports in Dec on the same billing date (7th) and same card and hits again in Jan. We call in and they see we cancelled but claim someone called in and opened a new subscription. That's complete BS. This is criminal fraud by a so-called consumer-oriented company. Tell me that someone, somehow got our card # and decided to start up a subscription the very next month. There's no other fraud on our card. This is an internal scam perpetrated by Consumer Reports.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I signed up with understanding Consumer Reports did most general products, like dog food. I gave Consumer reports a four star for the help I got for my first search. Second search was dog food, zero help. I will give it one more chance with something else. But clearly, at this point, help is limited.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I don’t understand why two of my reviews have not been posted. I have updated my review that you have totally ignored. Why you just want to show this issue was resolved is beyond me. I wrote a google review and have received many thanks over 480 if not more viewers. So if you don’t want to review honestly about this Empire Today, that’s just fine. But take down my whole review because it’s not the whole story. And close my account. I won’t waste my time with you ever again. ????

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Consumer Reports gave out my email address and phone number to third parties. All I was doing was looking at cars casually and suddenly a dozen car dealerships were auto calling and emailing me. Consumer reports is a scam!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

After spending $35 I was asked to upgrade the subscription for $20 more for a magazine? Why would I need the magazine if I have a computer? Then I start getting requests for a "donation" to keep them financially able to continue in business? I then clicked on "unsubscribe" to end their flood of emails. It said it could take "up to 10 days" to remove my email and stop them sending more. They didn't do as they said. Numerous requests to unsubscribe were sent and were ignored. I sent an email to them to NOT automatically renew my subscription and REQUESTED a response by email to acknowledge my request which they did.

Month after month I continued to still receive their unwanted emails for advertising and or requests for a donation. Have sent them an email to cease and desist with their emails as I have requested for many, many months and requested they respond by mail stating the date my email address has been removed as they have promised to do so. This is NOT the Consumer Reports I remember from years ago. Sad that they have to request donations now. Times have changed, but if you say you'll promise to do something for a consumer then do it.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Every time I tried to log into the online account the system said it didn't recognize my email or password. Had to reset password every time. Contacted customer service via email and received an standard generic answer that did not address my problem. So I decided to call, waited for over 20 minutes for an incompetent representative who kept telling me maybe I was inputting the incorrect info and I am like every single time??? Then he said he did not know what to say. I mean the conversation was so out of it that I had the feeling we were not speaking the same language or that he really had some comprehension issues. Now by reading other reviews I realized this is their standard practice. Glad I cancelled the membership.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

Overall I was pleased with Consumer Reports in general and the service they offer, but their customer service is incompetent. I contacted their customer service department (via chat) to see about stopping delivery of their print magazine, and specifically stated that I wanted to do so without cancelling my membership. The person I was chatting with immediately cancelled my membership, and pasted a generic "we're sorry to see you go" message into chat. I tried telling them this was not what I wanted and to not cancel my membership, and got no response. I called them immediately after this, but there was nothing I could do to reverse the cancellation.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

They auto renewed my membership which I absolutely remember not authorizing when I joined last year. I called them the very day they charged me for an additional year within minutes of the email coming through. While they cancelled my membership, they would not refund the total amount. Even though it had been 10 minutes, they charged me for a whole month. Crooks! I will never join again, they are totally dishonest.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

This is no longer the organization we trusted in the 70s and 80s. Ralph Nader would be disappointed. BAIT AND SWITCH. I bought an All Access membership in July, as we were planning to upgrade our kitchen appliances. "All Access" was described as both magazine and digital content. Not so. For the highest level of payment, I get print only. Tried to sign in - got a message that I needed to upgrade for $10 a month. Chat room - timed me out. 800 number - 15 minute wait. So very sad...I guess we are going to to have to rely on Amazon consumer ratings only....

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I have subscribed to Consumer Reports (CR) since the 70s. I also give two gift subscriptions to my kids. I have also donated money in the past. For the last ten years, I have noticed a marked increase in mail/email requests for digital subscriptions, raffles, and donations. My take is that CR spends an enormous amount of money on solicitations. Perhaps expenses exceed revenues.

I just received a mail solicitation to renew my own and gift subscriptions. The information portrays what a deal I am getting. I looked up my subscription renewals since 2016. I paid $58 in 2016; $70 in 2017; and $74 in 2018. My renewal rate, if I choose to renew is now $80. Enormous increases that I suspect are not recognized by subscribers. Just wanted those that subscribe to evaluate the worth of the magazine in relation to the cost.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I am truly disgusted with Consumer Reports (CR). Just a few years back things changed dramatically with the company. First, I noticed I could, as a paying subscriber, no longer add comments or give reviews for products I'd purchased. Why, because I am not on Facebook. After talked to a few different customer service people, I realized CR doesn't want comments or reviews from non-Facebook subscribers. That was just a few years ago. I kept subscribing because I felt like I was getting info that was worth while.

Now and for a while now, CR provides merchandisers (always Amazon) from whom you can purchase product from. After doing a bit of research, came to find out that George Soros became the main owner of Consumer Reports. That answered many questions I had and understanding I needed regarding Consumer Reports. CR is no longer a reliable resource for unbiased product reports and reviews. I no longer go with CR's recommendations for products, they don't add up. Sad.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I am looking for a replacement for my home AC unit. I have carefully looked all brands ranked in this website and surprisingly ALL are rated as 'one star'. So basically no AC is good enough (based on consumer's report/experiences). Now I am picking the "less worse" and will be praying to last.

Original review: June 4, 2019

They keep sending Me issues. I am apparently going to get copies through June 2020. Tried to call to confirm cancellation and was sent to a consumer survey. Didn't want to take a third party survey call was terminated. Called back and was blocked by the customer service number (800-333-0663) as an ineligible "duplicate caller", and call was terminated again. How do I get CR from sending and BILLING for more copies?

Original review: April 13, 2019

Consumer Reports as originally founded was a very useful magazine. Their original magazine used to to test consumer products and gather reliability statistics on products and report the information in a magazine to consumers. You could depend on their product ratings. They were funded by subscribers and donations. They are now funded by several liberal advocacy groups that appear to have taken over the management. Now product reviews and ratings are a small part of the magazine. The reviews are weaker and I have found them unreliable. Now they report on consumer "issues" and their OPINIONS are presented as facts.

They apparently have a lot of money to spend on liberal causes. In a recent issue they were very proud of progress they are making toward getting the government to forgive a group of student's loans. It seems some colleges promised their students high paying jobs when they graduated. Well, no one wanted to pay these students that high pay the college promised! So CR wants the government to forgive (pay off) their student debt. WHAT RIGHT DOES CONSUMER REPORTS HAVE TO DECIDE HOW MY TAX DOLLARS ARE SPENT??? I never missed a day employed from age 19 to age 65, but ALL the taxes I have paid in my lifetime would not pay off even one of these student loans. Who made CR Lord to decide these causes?

No wonder the magazine is failing. Look where their funds are coming from and what they are being used for. When I purposely let my subscription lapse they "renewed" it without my permission and started billing me as past due. I googled this issue and was amazed at how many people were complaining of this issue. It appears they have gone from a trusted and reliable source to one of the bottom feeders. The sooner their demise the better. Perhaps another source will fill the need they have left and will prosper. Tim ** Tennessee

Original review: April 9, 2019

I signed up for a one month membership to read some reviews about washing machines. When I was charged for another month subscription I emailed them immediately to cancel the membership and refund the payment since I hadn't set up or selected auto-renew. I got two different non-reply emails stating that they apply auto-renew automatically just like other digital subscriptions. Not a good excuse for me. And, what's up with non-reply emails from "Customer Service"? What a crappy company and a slimy business practice.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have been a subscriber since 2005 with the same mailing address and email address. I sometimes live at another residence and all my mail is forwarded when I do. But sometimes not the magazine. About two times a year the magazine tells me my address of 30 years is undeliverable. When I question them (customer service) they tell me the post office returned the magazine because of an undeliverable address. Baloney. Then some manager at customer service said the post office forwards only two issues - has anybody ever heard such baloney - they count the issues?

So after that got fixed again they sent me a form (at my undeliverable address) saying we have received your request for a seasonal address change. I did not request it and said so on the form and added that I do not want a seasonal address. Believe it or not two weeks later February 7, 2019 I got the same form again.

Then to top it off I received a card in the mail (at my undeliverable address) that said we have been unable to reach you via e-mail - your subscription is about to expire. Consumer report has my e-mail which has been the same since initially subscribed to the magazine. So I go to the website to renew and guess what - it's on auto renew. I wrote letters to the President and CEO, Senior VP and the Director of Member Support. No response from anybody nor even an acknowledgment. Does this organization know what it is doing? Copy to Consumer Reports Board of Directors.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have over the years been a fan of Consumer Reports. Now it seems that the publication has learned from the scams and bad business practices that we trusted it to alert us to and to condemn. Try subscribing without the auto-renewal feature! They are feeding in the trough of retaining customers through auto renewal instead of providing value annually. I am looking elsewhere now for what I need.

Resolution response: Feb. 16, 2019

I submitted a review about an unauthorized monthly charge to my credit card since May 2018 from Consumer Reports. I contacted Consumer Reports today through their FB page and got a phone call regarding my situation. This time, they were able to locate the account along with the name and information of whom set it up with my credit card number. I am pleased to say that they assured me that the account was closed and the auto renew feature was turned off. Cindy was very professional and I am satisfied that this matter is closed. I did get a follow up email confirming this and the name of the person who fraudulently set up this account. Here is the information: Baan **. Consumer Reports obviously does not verify the credit card with the credit card owner. Beware when using credit card for online purchases and make sure that the site is secure.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

A charge of $7.95 US per month has been showing up on my credit card since May of 2018. I did not authorize this charge and have to contact my credit card company every month to get this charge reversed which they do. They issued me 3 or 4 credit cards and this charge still shows up. I have contacted Consumer Reports a couple of times and they have no record of me because I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE but it still shows up. I spoke with an Ashley ** at Consumer Reports and she seemed to be able to help me at first and promised to call me back which she never did even after I called again and left a message for her. This organization is obviously not legitimate. I don't know what else I can possibly do to keep this company from charging my credit card. CONSUMER REPORTS IS A FRAUD! BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I sent a payment for renewal this past December and just received a third invoice notice that I need to renew my subscription upon receipt of this notice, even though my expiration date is Jan 2020. A P.S. was attached saying to go to cr.org/crpay for faster service. There is no such site on the web. When will they get their act together???

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Consumer Reports has been charging my credit card since canceling my account 8 years ago in 2010! I called in 2013 after receiving a email and was told that the account was set to "Auto Renew". I had to get a new password to login to see that my old account was still active, and to see that THEY must have set my account to "Auto Renew". I was then issued a refund for 1 year only and was told the account was closed for good...

Fast forward to today's date... I received an email to my Gmail account from my old Yahoo account stating that my Consumer Reports account was set to renew on Jan 9th? I called the customer service line and found out that I was being billed since 2013? Wow. I see that other customers had the same problem. This is defiantly fraudulent! I have audio files. They should not be able to get away with charging canceled old accounts! Too much info to type here. I HAVE THE RECORDED AUDIO FILES and will investigate this further. This is absolute fraud!

Consumer Reports Company Information