2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Consumer Reports Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

CR used to provide non-biased ratings on products which I felt I could count on. That is why I was a long time subscriber. Recently (maybe a year ago or so ) I started noticing liberal bias creeping into the articles and personal opinions from the writer. For example, in the latest issue an article entitled "Keep Calm and Come Together" featured 6 pages of drivel about keeping yourself safe from covid. No scientific-based fact on anything published and the tone is that of the "nanny state". The suggestions are laughable and do not belong in a so-called unbiased magazine. Also, I've noticed the CRO editorial pandering to liberal viewpoints and comments that do not belong in this type of magazine! I am canceling my print, digital and On Health subscriptions and hope others who feel this way will also do so. A message needs to be sent.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I have used "Consumer Reports" for many purchases including major appliances and even cars!! Always consistent and reliable.. Graphic artwork and layouts are always of the very best quality.. Right down to the paper used..Glossy or matte true experience I look forward to.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

This app and website is easily accessible, but there could be more advertisements of the app and site. For more public coverage. If there was a way that this opportunity could be more advertised to the public through social media platforms.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

My review is pending your approval. It states that I must verify my email, but there isn’t a link for me to do that. I checked my email account, and I have an email from Consumer Reports, but I see no link that allows me to verify my email address.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have found Consumer Reports spot on for any large purchase. I have bought my last two Subaru’s based on Consumer Reports. I trust them because they are unbiased in their research as well as consumer testimonials for every product both positive and negative.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I purchased a subscription primarily to access their annual Best Sunscreen Reviews. All along they have been saying that the best sunscreens block both UVA and UVB rays. This year, however, they rated the best sunscreen as only blocking UVA rays. I find this very confusing and unprofessional. Do they do that with other products as well?

Original review: April 4, 2020

They rating best cars as average predicted reliability. For example Toyota Rav4. We all know it is one of the best. At same time Chevrolet gets best scores. Propaganda. BS. Will not buy or view never again. Use your own judgment and common sense.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I have been a Consumer Reports customer for over 30 years. They used to publish decent reliability statistics in their magazine and on-line that you could trust. BUT NO MORE! The last several years, their product ratings have not been complete or accurate. I do my own research and have concluded that you cannot trust their ratings. The latest example is their rating of heat pumps. Trane is ranked the best and Goodman is ranked at the bottom by Consumer Reports. Since my 12 year old high efficiency Trane heat pump failed after 12 years (6 repairs in that time), I know about Trane. So I researched on-line and found an excellent website of a 25 year old company that installs all major brands (**) and who ranks heat pumps. Their ratings show Goodman at the top and Trane toward the bottom.

Which rating do think is accurate? Local HVAC contractors all recommend Goodman because of the reliability and lower cost. My neighbors who have Goodman report no problems. Consumer Reports is no longer the source for reliable research on ANY product. I have done research on other products (electronics, water treatment, etc.) and had the same result. I recommend to anyone who is buying a major product to search that industry on the internet for unbiased ratings. Consumeraffairs.com is an excellent place to start. They rate Consumer Reports 1 star. There are reasons for that.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Of the 22 product categories listed under Products: Babies and Kids, Consumer Reports.org is actively testing and updating only 3 categories: Carseats, Strollers, and humidifiers. The other 19 categories are either not currently being tested or permanently archived. When speaking with a customer service representative, the Customer Reports member defended the organization's position by stating that the information is still relevant and useful because the products are still available in the market place.

However, Customer Reports' decision to no longer test products within the 19 of the 22 baby & kid categories suggests that infant and child safety is no longer relevant to their mission statement or organizational goals. And as such, Consumer Reports should remove the pages or permanently archived them rather than continuing to list the pages in the same manner as "actively tested" products. The disclaimers posted to the individual page are not enough; the pages should be moved or removed.

Active Categories: Carseats, Strollers, Humidifiers. Consumer Reports is not currently testing: baby monitors, cribs, High Chairs, thermometers. Consumer Reports no longer updates this product category and maintains it for archival purposes only: baby bathtubs, baby food, baby formula, backpack carriers, backpacks, bassinets, bike trailer, breast pump, crib bedding, crib mattress, diaper bags, diapers, nursing bra, play yards, safety gates.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I signed up with understanding Consumer Reports did most general products, like dog food. I gave Consumer reports a four star for the help I got for my first search. Second search was dog food, zero help. I will give it one more chance with something else. But clearly, at this point, help is limited.

Consumer Reports Company Information