1.28/5
Based on 145 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

270 Consumer Reports Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

Consumer Reports also slammed me with an automatic renewal. Who can you trust if they misrepresent their services? I will never ever use Consumer Reports again. Costco and Amazon give plenty of free reviews.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Bought a Samsung refrigerator with a 5 year warranty on the compressor. After 4.8 years it died. I paid Samsung a service charge to replace it under warranty. They did and it died about two weeks later. They agreed to refund my money, but 55 days later, still no refund. I get a changed story every time I call them and another 10 business day window to wait. I will never buy another Samsung product.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 6, 2018

Mom had been a subscriber to Consumer Reports off and on since the 1970s! Apparently they are now in the business of taking advantage of the very people they are supposed to protect! There was no indication that her subscription would be automatically renewed but that's exactly what they did. Our family can no longer trust Consumer Reports, the magazine company we had always trusted. They should be sued for illegal/unethical business practices.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I was referred by a family to Shon Kable for service. I had his service for 2 1/2 weeks. I was told by Shon Kable to call him if I had any trouble with any of the channels, which I did. I text him & no response. Then the next day I text him letting him know that one of my channels was still out. He responded with a text “for your information I’m at work" & he doesn’t get local channels. If I want to see local channels I need to get Comcast or DirecTV. Well evidently, he doesn’t know his system or he is stealing cable from HBO, Cinemax, etc... and all of the channels that you pay extra for... To sum it all up he taken advantage of people and taken money for a service that he stolen from major companies and has a terrible customer service. He took my money, tune my service off 2 1/2 weeks before my next billing cycle. Beware, because I will be turning all his information to better Business Bureau.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Consumer Reports has changed dramatically over the last decade. Their magazine appears to cater to extremely well-off baby boomers, financially secure seniors, and young professionals. Totally bypassing the middle-class. Just take their reviews: $40,000 cars. $3500 refrigerators. $2500 outdoor grills. $1000 lawn mowers! I feel this is only encouraging conspicuous consumption. I am teaching my teenage daughters the principles of value, which is the perfect intersection of price, desirable features, and quality. If they want something, they have to comparison shop, and provide me with their research, and present their reasons for picking one product over another.

Therefore, they are really smart consumers at the ages of 13 and 17. And every day we discuss ostentatious spending such as my pointing out a vehicle that is obscenely priced such as a fully decked out crew cab Chevy pickup which is in the $55000-$70000 range. Compared to my long paid-for 2008 VW Jetta SEL which is in virtually perfect condition. My kids think it is ridiculous that anyone would have a $700 monthly car payment! Also, CR has turned into a psuedo Prevention publication. Too much information on health and neurotically good-for-you foods. Finally, I am continually bombarded with requests for donation CR mail requests. One was even emblazoned with "Important Impact Statement" on the outer envelope! Sorry, Consumer Reports, you no longer represent my demographic.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been a loyal subscriber to Consumer Reports since the early 1970's. Although I do not purchase many of the products they test, I used to believe that this organization was protecting my interests as a consumer against commercial enterprises whose interests were inimical to mine. The first hint of change occurred a few years ago when I tried to renew my subscription and learned that CR had changed to an auto-renew default. This system is designed to extract as much revenue as possible from the subscriber base. In previous years, CR would have criticized any business that employed such an abusive system. My protests to CR went unanswered but I still continued to support CR and did renew my subscription despite some misgivings.

Last week, I received an e-mail notification that the credit card I had on file with CR was due to expire shortly and should be renewed. There were some instructions on how to perform this task. I did not have any subscriptions about to expire, so I considered it strange to receive this notification. I tried to contact CR but their phone # only connected to an auto-attendant which did not offer any relevant options.

The e-mail also noted that I could e-mail CR but no e-mail address was provided. I tried to reply to the e-mail address that sent the message but I received an e-mail saying that that address could not receive e-mails. I tried different telephone options and finally reached a human being. I asked for an e-mail address of any live person at CR to contact and was told that those data are secret and never revealed. I asked to speak to someone and was told that was not possible. I was informed that this was corporate policy mandated by upper management. I asked to speak with upper management and was told that this is impossible. I was told to leave my e-mail address and someone might reply back to me within a week.

I tried to research online different possible officers or personnel at CR. CR does post names, photos, and bios of many seemingly-responsible individuals but no telephone numbers or e-mails. I searched elsewhere online but could not find any actual telephone numbers or e-mail addresses for anyone at CR. This is in sharp contrast to many large and potentially abusive corporate entities who routinely post on their webpages names, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of key managerial personnel. But it does explain why CR is doing so poorly, since it has deliberately shielded itself against any contact with its customer base.

Original review: April 16, 2018

A contrived, manipulative organization. Not worth the subscription money. Some of the studies are skewed or misleading. Customer Service is laughable: you can't get through immediately, as they try to sell you something while wasting a lot of your time. Even if you hit zero for an operator, they get rid of you by giving you a busy signal. Forget the "Chat" option, the "send" link is far below your screen where you can't get to it. I wonder what they're "consuming"? It's goodbye to Consumer Reports for me; it rates as one of the worst organization that I've ever dealt with.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This company's mission is to steal as much money they can legally get away with this. When you sign up they do not make it clear that they will automatically renew your monthly membership and automatically charge your credit card. By the time I noticed they had already charged me for several months service I never wanted. How can one trust a company with these types of business practices and ethics... I'm sure they would take bribes or "other" compensation to provide a glowing review. Don't trust this company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Consumer Reports - thumbs down on them. On November 20, 2017 I took advantage of a Consumer Reports offer of 1 yr subscription for $20.00. Having written the check on 11/20/17 my issues could not have started before Dec. 2017. However on April 9, 2018 I received notice that my subscription would expire with the next issue. Urging my renewal. Last time I heard, there are still 12 months in a year. So I called CR to set the record right. Right! Well the not so good English speaking girl said that I had only subscribed to 10 issues which started in October 2017. Amazing, they started my order before I requested it? Bottom line is: Forget Consumer Reports. They cheat, and then they lie!!!

Original review: April 6, 2018

Consumer Report had auto billed my credit card AGAIN. There is not problem getting my money back because I just dispute the charge on my credit card however this is a real pain. My advise to anyone is not to do business with Consumer Reports.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have subscribed to Consumer Reports on and off for years. Usually when I stop subscribing it’s either because their reviews are inaccurate or there are missed issues. Most recently it’s a missed issue. My favorite issue is the April issue when they come out with their car reviews, but here is April 3 and still no April issue. Oh, but my May issue arrived, just not the one I really want. I have contacted customer service many times and they say they are sending out a new April issue but it could take several weeks. It's just very annoying and will likely cancel subscription once again when this one runs out.

Original review: April 2, 2018

On your recommendation, we purchased the top-of-the-line LG washer and dryer three years ago for over $1750. From day 1 I hated them. I have cursed them every wash day for three years. We had to have something repaired 2 months after we got them. The washer left soap scum on my black clothes, fabric softener goo on my sheets and yesterday, black “stuff” all over some white tee shirts I was trying to get white again. After SIX WASHINGS, there were just a few spots left. I was told I am supposed to wash the washer several times a year. That is asinine! I had Kenmore washers for decades and never washed the washer. With my Kenmore dryer I could take the clothes out right away and hang them and never have to iron. Now I have to iron everything. I am going to sell these and go back to Kenmore. DON'T BUY LG WASHER AND DRYER!

Original review: March 29, 2018

OK, I share blame in this for not checking ahead. My complaint is that I bought a subscription for the print version of the magazine, figuring I would also get access to digital as most magazines do these days. However, when I went to sign up for an online account they want another twenty bucks. Really? Business is that good in the magazine business these days that you can afford to alienate paying customers? Hope so, because you got me once but you won't get me again.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Do not sign up for the one month subscription. Not only did CR not work for us as we could not even find the models we were looking for, but I thought we were signing up for one month and one month only. I just noticed that they charged us again and when I asked for a refund they basically said, "No way" and "We don't refund". Even though the charge just happened an hour ago. That is completely unacceptable. Horrible customer service.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I'm rating y'all 1 star because I'm pissed off at PayPal for red tape that I despise. My wife & I are really high up in the military intelligence community. Only 3 people above me. My wife 4 people above her. So now I tried to set up a PayPal acct. The soc. sec. # is not required on the form but in order to get the damn card sent or a secondary card I need my soc. sec. # that I can't remember due to the fact I have a traumatic brain injury due to a T.B.I. from Afghanistan Aug 2011. My wife was in that same humvee c/ me. She was thrown 150' into a mine field. Her head landed 2-3" away from the pressure point of a land mine so she doesn't remember her soc. sec. # either. So it's ** that they require that. I got a huge runaround. I spent at least a hour on the phone c/ them mostly on hold. Now I tried to rate them on y'all's site which is impossible so I'm now rating y'all the same. I hope y'all are happy c/ y'all selfs.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Consumer Reports should probably rename itself to "Product ratings for rich people". Why CR is bad: It is simply not practical. How many people are really going to spend $700 on a blender? Not everyone is going to open a restaurant! There are lots of outrageous recommendations out there. They should have reviewed more products than what they have done right now. A lot of product ratings are not up to date or simply not given. A lot of products they recommend have very low "customer ratings" on Amazon etc. You can clearly tell that those products are of very low quality. I have seen many products with 3.5 stars or even lower on Amazon. A lot of products they recommend are simply not available for purchase from a reliable retailer.

I subscribed to CR hoping that it can give me simple, worry-free recommendations so that whenever I want to make a major purchase, I just look it up on CR and go ahead and buy it. CR proved me wrong. They are not reliable at all. A universal guide to buying almost anything: search "the best" + product name, e.g. "The best Bluetooth speaker", and usually there will be tens of guides, tests, reviews and recommendations about those products. Read a few, read Amazon reviews (especially bad ones), look at their specs, and MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICE. Forget Consumer Reports.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have been receiving, via email and via snail mail, day after day, requests for donations. Literature says they accept no advertising and that they "rely on the generosity of friends..." I have a digital subscription and was dismayed to see that a good many of the products that they "review" have affiliate links to Amazon, Best Buy, etc. I am particularly incensed because my family owns a rather large appliance center, and find that this pushing customers to buy from somewhere that Consumer Reports gets a commission is far from fair. This is "Advertising", no matter how you look at it. I contacted their "customer care" line and was told that they do not get a commission, that it was just for our convenience. I found pages on their site that states that they do receive a commission.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I wish I would have read these reviews before subscribing to CR! I went looking for reviews only after reading what the latest issue recommended for the common cold and flu remedies. Tissues for a stuffy/runny nose?! For real??? Needless to say, I now have to question their so called "rating reviews" on everything else. I am truly disappointed in the lack of research Consumer Reports put into the whole subject of nutrition/health. Recommending a flu shot, even when they said themself as I quote from the latest issue January 2017, page 41 "A mercury-containing preservative called thimerosal is in certain vaccines. But it's only a trace amount" No joke!!!

And rating of deaths reported by Consumer Reports due to colds or flu, do not report from getting the flu shot first before becoming affected with the flu or cold!

So I have to question every rating and testing they perform. I will be cancelling my subscription by getting a new credit card, so they cannot bill my account, like they have done to so many already! So disappointed!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

OnLine Subscription. I strongly suggest you NEVER use this way to use access Consumer Reports. I used it one time when I wanted to decide about which Flat Screen TV to purchase. For 1 month the price was $7.99, which I thought was high since a 1 year magazine subscription was only $20. But I agreed and gave them my credit card.

Unfortunately the part time accountant that I use got all my credit card bills and paid it each month. It took over 6 months before I found out they were still charging me every month!! When I called them to ask for a refund, they refused, even for the current month, saying that I had agreed to an "automatic renewal" which I never knowing did.

The woman said "I can see you never used it again but we never give any refunds even if you didn't realize we would automatically renew your monthly subscription and you never used it again." This happens frequently but we are a business, even though we are "non-profit", and we have to make money." Automatic renewal must have been in extremely small print or camouflaged in some way. It made me furious and I lost all respect for them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Subscribers to Consumer Reports need to be very diligent when subscribing to and/or renewing yearly subscriptions to Consumer Reports. Why? Because letters/promos for magazine renewals start pouring into your U.S. mailbox months before current subscription deadlines expire. I know because I wasn't keeping a careful accounting of my payment(s) and paid twice in one year. Consumer Reports never notified me of over-payment, of course, and, then, to add insult to injury, additional "notifications" that my subscription was due to expire continued to come. As far as I am concerned, I have paid for two years and expect to get next year (2018-2019) with no additional payment. I have notified them accordingly, but if you think that's going to happen, I've got a bridge in New York to sell you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Consumer Reports charged my credit card because they said I was on auto renew which is what all the magazines try to do now. With any other magazine if I noticed this charge they take it off immediately with no questions asked. This woman said she couldn't until it came up for renewal next year. If I had seen all these complaints about this same issue I would never have ordered it. I don't care for the magazine at all because I want information when I want it not when they decide to put it in a magazine. These people should not be in business at all. They apparently don't care about all these complaints against them. What hypocrites. She did finally agree to take off the charge after I was getting very upset.

Original review: July 20, 2017

On March 27, 2017 Consumer Reports started billing my credit card $6.95 per month. One year earlier I had cancelled my prior subscription. I did not notice the discrepancy until July after charges for March, April, May and June had been billed. I called my credit card company to dispute the charges.

Original review: July 12, 2017

In early 2016, I called CR to cancel my membership and stop automatic credit-card deductions. In July of 2016, they charged me $12.00. I called and Abby said that it was a mistake and would never happen again. Now in July 2017, they just charged me $12.00 again. Their business practices are immoral!!!

Original review: June 5, 2017

Received my credit card statement today (6/5/17) and saw an automatic renewal as of 4/27/17 for Consumer Reports. I immediately called Consumer Reports on their 1-800-333-0663 number, displayed on my credit card statement, requested cancellation and asked for a full refund of the $35 charged to my account. I was told in no uncertain terms that they could stop future charges but were unable to credit back my account for the full amount. I said, “Having worked for a bank over 30 years, I know my rights and since you did not notify me when you charged me, you owe the money back.” After a lot of arguing, the customer rep said she could give me a partial credit. They had my incorrect email for notification. I said, “That is not ok since I have not used your service recently.” I still intend to notify my credit card company to reverse the full charge!

Original review: May 8, 2017

I've been a reader of, and subscriber to Consumer Reports two separate times. I cancelled my initial subscription due to the magazine's foray into politics. Some years later I subscribed to the digital service and magazine. I have since cancelled the magazine due to a lack of tolerance to the magazine's interest in political issues. I have today emailed instructions to the CR site, instructing cancellation of my digital account and a purge of any credit card information. This action followed fruitless efforts to delete my stored credit card information. I simply do not trust this organization to provide unbiased information. The CR people have become, it seems, a shill for some businesses and certain government programs. I can peruse the net and find truly objective information. Hey CR... count me out!

Original review: April 20, 2017

I just had a TERRIBLE experience with Delta Airlines, so I wrote a long, detailed review explaining just how badly this airline treated us, and when I get to the end? The "send" button doesn't work! So now CR is jerking me around, wasting my time. And I thought CR would be the LAST people to do that. WRONG!

Original review: March 31, 2017

Subscribers of Consumer Reports are permitted to add their comments/reviews to CR's product pages, but CR disapproves almost all that differ with their findings. I am a long-term subscriber of Consumer Reports and have written four (4) reviews of products discussed on the website. I wrote lengthy, objective product reviews (in some cases differing with CR's assessments) and they disapproved ALL of them. Pretty smelly -- I don't trust CR any longer and find their practices questionable -- trying to hide things from other readers.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Online subscription. Horrible. Used a credit card paid for one year. They continued to charge my credit card, even using an old billing address. I called to cancel it when they charge 35 dollars. Every year they slide in a charge and didn't even send an email saying they were doing this. The customer service rep wanted to argue with me. I asked to speak with a supervisor and he argued for 5 minutes saying he couldn't get one until he know what the problem was. I kept telling him unsatisfied customer. Finally he said, "I'll just let them know what I think you are going to say." Finally they did say they would credit back 35 dollars but I'm sold for the other years. Very shady not to email letting customers know they are charging for another year. Shame on me for not paying attention to detail on the CC bills every February.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I feel betrayed like so many other long time consumers for the fact that once they have your info you can never get away from them, even when you have different banking numbers and have asked them repeatedly to cancel. We went through this just 2 months ago, called CR then Discover and was told that we would be refunded and cancelled. January 15, 2017 our card was charged again. I got a magazine in the mail today, Feb 1st and put it right in the recycle bin, after removing all identification.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I recently called CR to ask about the message I received that I didn't have access to the Digital Content. As I just restarted my subscription and had received the first issue I figured it was a mistake. Imagine my surprise when I was told there is an additional charge for that access! I have filed an complaint with them and hope they will change their mind. I'm quite sure I will not give them access to any Credit Card information!

Consumer Reports Company Information