1.28/5

292 Consumer Reports Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I have subscribed to Consumer Reports (CR) since the 70s. I also give two gift subscriptions to my kids. I have also donated money in the past. For the last ten years, I have noticed a marked increase in mail/email requests for digital subscriptions, raffles, and donations. My take is that CR spends an enormous amount of money on solicitations. Perhaps expenses exceed revenues.

I just received a mail solicitation to renew my own and gift subscriptions. The information portrays what a deal I am getting. I looked up my subscription renewals since 2016. I paid $58 in 2016; $70 in 2017; and $74 in 2018. My renewal rate, if I choose to renew is now $80. Enormous increases that I suspect are not recognized by subscribers. Just wanted those that subscribe to evaluate the worth of the magazine in relation to the cost.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I am truly disgusted with Consumer Reports (CR). Just a few years back things changed dramatically with the company. First, I noticed I could, as a paying subscriber, no longer add comments or give reviews for products I'd purchased. Why, because I am not on Facebook. After talked to a few different customer service people, I realized CR doesn't want comments or reviews from non-Facebook subscribers. That was just a few years ago. I kept subscribing because I felt like I was getting info that was worth while.

Now and for a while now, CR provides merchandisers (always Amazon) from whom you can purchase product from. After doing a bit of research, came to find out that George Soros became the main owner of Consumer Reports. That answered many questions I had and understanding I needed regarding Consumer Reports. CR is no longer a reliable resource for unbiased product reports and reviews. I no longer go with CR's recommendations for products, they don't add up. Sad.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I am looking for a replacement for my home AC unit. I have carefully looked all brands ranked in this website and surprisingly ALL are rated as 'one star'. So basically no AC is good enough (based on consumer's report/experiences). Now I am picking the "less worse" and will be praying to last.

Original review: June 4, 2019

They keep sending Me issues. I am apparently going to get copies through June 2020. Tried to call to confirm cancellation and was sent to a consumer survey. Didn't want to take a third party survey call was terminated. Called back and was blocked by the customer service number (800-333-0663) as an ineligible "duplicate caller", and call was terminated again. How do I get CR from sending and BILLING for more copies?

Original review: April 13, 2019

Consumer Reports as originally founded was a very useful magazine. Their original magazine used to to test consumer products and gather reliability statistics on products and report the information in a magazine to consumers. You could depend on their product ratings. They were funded by subscribers and donations. They are now funded by several liberal advocacy groups that appear to have taken over the management. Now product reviews and ratings are a small part of the magazine. The reviews are weaker and I have found them unreliable. Now they report on consumer "issues" and their OPINIONS are presented as facts.

They apparently have a lot of money to spend on liberal causes. In a recent issue they were very proud of progress they are making toward getting the government to forgive a group of student's loans. It seems some colleges promised their students high paying jobs when they graduated. Well, no one wanted to pay these students that high pay the college promised! So CR wants the government to forgive (pay off) their student debt. WHAT RIGHT DOES CONSUMER REPORTS HAVE TO DECIDE HOW MY TAX DOLLARS ARE SPENT??? I never missed a day employed from age 19 to age 65, but ALL the taxes I have paid in my lifetime would not pay off even one of these student loans. Who made CR Lord to decide these causes?

No wonder the magazine is failing. Look where their funds are coming from and what they are being used for. When I purposely let my subscription lapse they "renewed" it without my permission and started billing me as past due. I googled this issue and was amazed at how many people were complaining of this issue. It appears they have gone from a trusted and reliable source to one of the bottom feeders. The sooner their demise the better. Perhaps another source will fill the need they have left and will prosper. Tim ** Tennessee

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?

Original review: April 9, 2019

I signed up for a one month membership to read some reviews about washing machines. When I was charged for another month subscription I emailed them immediately to cancel the membership and refund the payment since I hadn't set up or selected auto-renew. I got two different non-reply emails stating that they apply auto-renew automatically just like other digital subscriptions. Not a good excuse for me. And, what's up with non-reply emails from "Customer Service"? What a crappy company and a slimy business practice.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have been a subscriber since 2005 with the same mailing address and email address. I sometimes live at another residence and all my mail is forwarded when I do. But sometimes not the magazine. About two times a year the magazine tells me my address of 30 years is undeliverable. When I question them (customer service) they tell me the post office returned the magazine because of an undeliverable address. Baloney. Then some manager at customer service said the post office forwards only two issues - has anybody ever heard such baloney - they count the issues?

So after that got fixed again they sent me a form (at my undeliverable address) saying we have received your request for a seasonal address change. I did not request it and said so on the form and added that I do not want a seasonal address. Believe it or not two weeks later February 7, 2019 I got the same form again.

Then to top it off I received a card in the mail (at my undeliverable address) that said we have been unable to reach you via e-mail - your subscription is about to expire. Consumer report has my e-mail which has been the same since initially subscribed to the magazine. So I go to the website to renew and guess what - it's on auto renew. I wrote letters to the President and CEO, Senior VP and the Director of Member Support. No response from anybody nor even an acknowledgment. Does this organization know what it is doing? Copy to Consumer Reports Board of Directors.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have over the years been a fan of Consumer Reports. Now it seems that the publication has learned from the scams and bad business practices that we trusted it to alert us to and to condemn. Try subscribing without the auto-renewal feature! They are feeding in the trough of retaining customers through auto renewal instead of providing value annually. I am looking elsewhere now for what I need.

Resolution response: Feb. 16, 2019

I submitted a review about an unauthorized monthly charge to my credit card since May 2018 from Consumer Reports. I contacted Consumer Reports today through their FB page and got a phone call regarding my situation. This time, they were able to locate the account along with the name and information of whom set it up with my credit card number. I am pleased to say that they assured me that the account was closed and the auto renew feature was turned off. Cindy was very professional and I am satisfied that this matter is closed. I did get a follow up email confirming this and the name of the person who fraudulently set up this account. Here is the information: Baan **. Consumer Reports obviously does not verify the credit card with the credit card owner. Beware when using credit card for online purchases and make sure that the site is secure.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

A charge of $7.95 US per month has been showing up on my credit card since May of 2018. I did not authorize this charge and have to contact my credit card company every month to get this charge reversed which they do. They issued me 3 or 4 credit cards and this charge still shows up. I have contacted Consumer Reports a couple of times and they have no record of me because I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE but it still shows up. I spoke with an Ashley ** at Consumer Reports and she seemed to be able to help me at first and promised to call me back which she never did even after I called again and left a message for her. This organization is obviously not legitimate. I don't know what else I can possibly do to keep this company from charging my credit card. CONSUMER REPORTS IS A FRAUD! BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I sent a payment for renewal this past December and just received a third invoice notice that I need to renew my subscription upon receipt of this notice, even though my expiration date is Jan 2020. A P.S. was attached saying to go to cr.org/crpay for faster service. There is no such site on the web. When will they get their act together???

Consumer Reports Company Information