1.29/5

286 Consumer Reports Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have been a subscriber since 2005 with the same mailing address and email address. I sometimes live at another residence and all my mail is forwarded when I do. But sometimes not the magazine. About two times a year the magazine tells me my address of 30 years is undeliverable. When I question them (customer service) they tell me the post office returned the magazine because of an undeliverable address. Baloney. Then some manager at customer service said the post office forwards only two issues - has anybody ever heard such baloney - they count the issues?

So after that got fixed again they sent me a form (at my undeliverable address) saying we have received your request for a seasonal address change. I did not request it and said so on the form and added that I do not want a seasonal address. Believe it or not two weeks later February 7, 2019 I got the same form again.

Then to top it off I received a card in the mail (at my undeliverable address) that said we have been unable to reach you via e-mail - your subscription is about to expire. Consumer report has my e-mail which has been the same since initially subscribed to the magazine. So I go to the website to renew and guess what - it's on auto renew. I wrote letters to the President and CEO, Senior VP and the Director of Member Support. No response from anybody nor even an acknowledgment. Does this organization know what it is doing? Copy to Consumer Reports Board of Directors.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have over the years been a fan of Consumer Reports. Now it seems that the publication has learned from the scams and bad business practices that we trusted it to alert us to and to condemn. Try subscribing without the auto-renewal feature! They are feeding in the trough of retaining customers through auto renewal instead of providing value annually. I am looking elsewhere now for what I need.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Feb. 16, 2019

I submitted a review about an unauthorized monthly charge to my credit card since May 2018 from Consumer Reports. I contacted Consumer Reports today through their FB page and got a phone call regarding my situation. This time, they were able to locate the account along with the name and information of whom set it up with my credit card number. I am pleased to say that they assured me that the account was closed and the auto renew feature was turned off. Cindy was very professional and I am satisfied that this matter is closed. I did get a follow up email confirming this and the name of the person who fraudulently set up this account. Here is the information: Baan **. Consumer Reports obviously does not verify the credit card with the credit card owner. Beware when using credit card for online purchases and make sure that the site is secure.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

A charge of $7.95 US per month has been showing up on my credit card since May of 2018. I did not authorize this charge and have to contact my credit card company every month to get this charge reversed which they do. They issued me 3 or 4 credit cards and this charge still shows up. I have contacted Consumer Reports a couple of times and they have no record of me because I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE but it still shows up. I spoke with an Ashley ** at Consumer Reports and she seemed to be able to help me at first and promised to call me back which she never did even after I called again and left a message for her. This organization is obviously not legitimate. I don't know what else I can possibly do to keep this company from charging my credit card. CONSUMER REPORTS IS A FRAUD! BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I sent a payment for renewal this past December and just received a third invoice notice that I need to renew my subscription upon receipt of this notice, even though my expiration date is Jan 2020. A P.S. was attached saying to go to cr.org/crpay for faster service. There is no such site on the web. When will they get their act together???

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Consumer Reports has been charging my credit card since canceling my account 8 years ago in 2010! I called in 2013 after receiving a email and was told that the account was set to "Auto Renew". I had to get a new password to login to see that my old account was still active, and to see that THEY must have set my account to "Auto Renew". I was then issued a refund for 1 year only and was told the account was closed for good...

Fast forward to today's date... I received an email to my Gmail account from my old Yahoo account stating that my Consumer Reports account was set to renew on Jan 9th? I called the customer service line and found out that I was being billed since 2013? Wow. I see that other customers had the same problem. This is defiantly fraudulent! I have audio files. They should not be able to get away with charging canceled old accounts! Too much info to type here. I HAVE THE RECORDED AUDIO FILES and will investigate this further. This is absolute fraud!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I used CONsumer Reports one time and authorized them for a single payment for one month. Now I find that they have been billing me for the last two years at $7 per month without any notification. JERKS.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I have subscribed and enjoyed Consumer Reports for over thirty years. Unfortunately the quality and quantity have declined along with the accuracy. Many items have been eliminated or are no longer available. Indexes do not list them anymore. The reviews are shorter and do not contain important information that the prospective customer may be interested in. Presumptuous mistakes have occurred that lead consumers in the wrong direction. eg. Tesla automobile, when it was first introduced was given Glowing reviews and the highest ratings including reliability. How could a brand new vehicle, in one year with only tens of thousands of sales, have such great ratings in comparison to vehicles that have sold millions of vehicles for thirty, forty or more years? Now it has a much worse than average rating.

The latest and most blunder-less mistake is the report on televisions. November and December publish the same two page reviews less a few corrections that obviously could have been listed as corrections separately. And the people responsible for the errors should be reviewed and reprimanded for their mistakes. Just imagine the number of consumers that went out and purchased televisions based on incorrect data. That is unforgivable. I am sorry, but I see Consumer Reports Magazine just going down in the quality and quantity over the years despite all the people listed next to the President & CEO comments on page 6 December issue. There should be an accounting and responsibility for all of the employees from Marta Tellado on down the line.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Consumer Reports charged my credit card (October 2018) after canceling this account almost 10 years ago. The customer service rep said "after you cancel auto renew, you need to cancel every year so you don't get charged"! What?! I have to call every year AFTER I cancel the account? This is fraudulent and I plan to investigate this further. They should not be able to get away with charging canceled decade-old accounts! All of the information they provide is online for FREE through customer reviews. They're obviously hurting for cash and trying to find ways to stay around. Not cool!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I ordered a trial of face cream for 4.95 and received a 0.5-ounce little bottle of face cream. I was not impressed with the results but forgot to cancel within the 14 days cancellation policy that I overlooked. I received an alert from my credit card that about a fraud charge. I immediately got on the phone and called Essence PH customer service to cancel the order and the charges. According to the customer service I overlooked the cancellation policy. The charge to my card was for $94.90 because apparently you agree to membership fees if you don’t cancel within 14 days of ordering- not even from when you receive it.

According to their website they guarantee 100% money back, when I called customer service about the charge they were extremely unwilling to refund any money. I conceded to the argument because I blamed myself for not reading the whole website. Six days later I receive the same size bottle and was totally disappointed. I was expecting a lot more product, and not another sample bottle. The company is hiding fees all over the place and then will not refund you even though their site promises to do so. They cover themselves with ambiguous language in their terms and conditions. This business needs to be held accountable.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I subscribe Consumers Reports for 40 years, and even that they don't allow me I see their website for free, like other companies and organizations, what they want is money, and more money, and then they say they are a nonprofit organization, what they do with so much money, open your website for all and for free!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Information reported is too basic. In their results for refrigerators, CR uses words such as "quiet," "very quiet," "excellent," but to an engineer, any measurement not expressed in "standard" numerical terms don't carry much judgemental weight because it's not possible to know what the words truly mean. Evidently, they impress the average non-technical consumer. (As a follow-up, do an online search for the brand's name and "class action" to see how actual consumers perceive their product.)

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Today my checking account was charged $26.00 to automatically renew my subscription which I did not knowingly authorize. I did not recognize the phone number associated with the debit that appeared on my bank statement so I Googled the phone number and discovered it was CR. There were numerous recent reviews from CR customers citing their own experience with automatic debits to their bank accounts and the poor near hostile dealing with CR customer service personnel. My contact was with Walter and I was truly impressed with the professional manner that I received. There was no resistance to my cancellation request and a refund was promised immediately.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I wanted to cancel my membership and chat was not available, telephones were shut down. Even though their help section mentioned to click the "Cancel" button, the button does not exist or is extremely difficult to locate. I hope this does not turn into a battle as others have noted. I contacted them via email. If they do not honor that request I am left to pay with a new payment card that is about to expire. My experience for 3 years now is that their reviews and ratings do not reflect current models. They almost always recommend the cheapest product even though I want to find something that will remain reliable and last a long time. They prove that you get what you pay for. Buy cheap buy low quality. How can that rank above better items? Before starting my digital subscription it had been about 5 years the first time I cancelled my membership for the same reasons. No more subscriptions for me.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Consumer Reports also slammed me with an automatic renewal. I have not subscribed to their magazine for years so I was suspect of this letter. I called the magazine and the woman tried to justify their methods as legitimate. I told her I did not subscribe and do not want their magazine so cancel whatever order you think was made. Today I received a bill from Consumer Reports with a due date of 9/5/2018. How can they be trusted if they misrepresent their services?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I received an auto renewal notice stating that they couldn't contact me by email and were going to auto-renew. Well of course; they had my AOL account and I cancelled it 10 years ago. But they kept charging me, year after year, and never sent anything to me until this year. After reading all these comments, I truly believe this is the perfect situation for a class action lawsuit. I'm going to be contacting a lawyer as a first step and then will be soliciting for interested parties. I'll be posting again with more information re: contact numbers, etc.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Today Aug-1st is the renewal date for my Consumer Reports subscription! Last month I was sent a renewal notice for 1, 2, or 3 years. I did not pick a renewal as I was not able to find several items That I wanted some information so I did not see any reason to renew my subscription at $35.00 a year!! Well I get a e-mail saying that Consumer Reports had renewed me for another year! So I called them to tell them that I did not want to renew my subscription and I asked for them to cancel my subscription and could I get My Money refunded? I was told that they could only give me a prorated refund as of the 31st of August!

I told the Lady it hadn't even been renewed for 12 HOURS and she did not care. I told that I would come on this site and let people know how they did business and she could care a less. GREAT OUTFIT!!! I plain to see it's all about the MONEY and the Customers do not mean anything to them but hopefully more money. They do have some good things to look up but all in all they are not worth it. And they don't care about you, me, or anyone else! Just the MONEY. It's sad to see where this Country is Heading! I'm sorry to say THE WORD OF THE 21ST CENTURY IS (GREED!). Peace to all and Happy Trails...

Original review: July 13, 2018

Consumer Reports also slammed me with an automatic renewal. Who can you trust if they misrepresent their services? I will never ever use Consumer Reports again. Costco and Amazon give plenty of free reviews.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Bought a Samsung refrigerator with a 5 year warranty on the compressor. After 4.8 years it died. I paid Samsung a service charge to replace it under warranty. They did and it died about two weeks later. They agreed to refund my money, but 55 days later, still no refund. I get a changed story every time I call them and another 10 business day window to wait. I will never buy another Samsung product.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Mom had been a subscriber to Consumer Reports off and on since the 1970s! Apparently they are now in the business of taking advantage of the very people they are supposed to protect! There was no indication that her subscription would be automatically renewed but that's exactly what they did. Our family can no longer trust Consumer Reports, the magazine company we had always trusted. They should be sued for illegal/unethical business practices.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I was referred by a family to Shon Kable for service. I had his service for 2 1/2 weeks. I was told by Shon Kable to call him if I had any trouble with any of the channels, which I did. I text him & no response. Then the next day I text him letting him know that one of my channels was still out. He responded with a text “for your information I’m at work" & he doesn’t get local channels. If I want to see local channels I need to get Comcast or DirecTV. Well evidently, he doesn’t know his system or he is stealing cable from HBO, Cinemax, etc... and all of the channels that you pay extra for... To sum it all up he taken advantage of people and taken money for a service that he stolen from major companies and has a terrible customer service. He took my money, tune my service off 2 1/2 weeks before my next billing cycle. Beware, because I will be turning all his information to better Business Bureau.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Consumer Reports has changed dramatically over the last decade. Their magazine appears to cater to extremely well-off baby boomers, financially secure seniors, and young professionals. Totally bypassing the middle-class. Just take their reviews: $40,000 cars. $3500 refrigerators. $2500 outdoor grills. $1000 lawn mowers! I feel this is only encouraging conspicuous consumption. I am teaching my teenage daughters the principles of value, which is the perfect intersection of price, desirable features, and quality. If they want something, they have to comparison shop, and provide me with their research, and present their reasons for picking one product over another.

Therefore, they are really smart consumers at the ages of 13 and 17. And every day we discuss ostentatious spending such as my pointing out a vehicle that is obscenely priced such as a fully decked out crew cab Chevy pickup which is in the $55000-$70000 range. Compared to my long paid-for 2008 VW Jetta SEL which is in virtually perfect condition. My kids think it is ridiculous that anyone would have a $700 monthly car payment! Also, CR has turned into a psuedo Prevention publication. Too much information on health and neurotically good-for-you foods. Finally, I am continually bombarded with requests for donation CR mail requests. One was even emblazoned with "Important Impact Statement" on the outer envelope! Sorry, Consumer Reports, you no longer represent my demographic.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been a loyal subscriber to Consumer Reports since the early 1970's. Although I do not purchase many of the products they test, I used to believe that this organization was protecting my interests as a consumer against commercial enterprises whose interests were inimical to mine. The first hint of change occurred a few years ago when I tried to renew my subscription and learned that CR had changed to an auto-renew default. This system is designed to extract as much revenue as possible from the subscriber base. In previous years, CR would have criticized any business that employed such an abusive system. My protests to CR went unanswered but I still continued to support CR and did renew my subscription despite some misgivings.

Last week, I received an e-mail notification that the credit card I had on file with CR was due to expire shortly and should be renewed. There were some instructions on how to perform this task. I did not have any subscriptions about to expire, so I considered it strange to receive this notification. I tried to contact CR but their phone # only connected to an auto-attendant which did not offer any relevant options.

The e-mail also noted that I could e-mail CR but no e-mail address was provided. I tried to reply to the e-mail address that sent the message but I received an e-mail saying that that address could not receive e-mails. I tried different telephone options and finally reached a human being. I asked for an e-mail address of any live person at CR to contact and was told that those data are secret and never revealed. I asked to speak to someone and was told that was not possible. I was informed that this was corporate policy mandated by upper management. I asked to speak with upper management and was told that this is impossible. I was told to leave my e-mail address and someone might reply back to me within a week.

I tried to research online different possible officers or personnel at CR. CR does post names, photos, and bios of many seemingly-responsible individuals but no telephone numbers or e-mails. I searched elsewhere online but could not find any actual telephone numbers or e-mail addresses for anyone at CR. This is in sharp contrast to many large and potentially abusive corporate entities who routinely post on their webpages names, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of key managerial personnel. But it does explain why CR is doing so poorly, since it has deliberately shielded itself against any contact with its customer base.

Original review: April 16, 2018

A contrived, manipulative organization. Not worth the subscription money. Some of the studies are skewed or misleading. Customer Service is laughable: you can't get through immediately, as they try to sell you something while wasting a lot of your time. Even if you hit zero for an operator, they get rid of you by giving you a busy signal. Forget the "Chat" option, the "send" link is far below your screen where you can't get to it. I wonder what they're "consuming"? It's goodbye to Consumer Reports for me; it rates as one of the worst organization that I've ever dealt with.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This company's mission is to steal as much money they can legally get away with this. When you sign up they do not make it clear that they will automatically renew your monthly membership and automatically charge your credit card. By the time I noticed they had already charged me for several months service I never wanted. How can one trust a company with these types of business practices and ethics... I'm sure they would take bribes or "other" compensation to provide a glowing review. Don't trust this company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Consumer Reports - thumbs down on them. On November 20, 2017 I took advantage of a Consumer Reports offer of 1 yr subscription for $20.00. Having written the check on 11/20/17 my issues could not have started before Dec. 2017. However on April 9, 2018 I received notice that my subscription would expire with the next issue. Urging my renewal. Last time I heard, there are still 12 months in a year. So I called CR to set the record right. Right! Well the not so good English speaking girl said that I had only subscribed to 10 issues which started in October 2017. Amazing, they started my order before I requested it? Bottom line is: Forget Consumer Reports. They cheat, and then they lie!!!

Original review: April 6, 2018

Consumer Report had auto billed my credit card AGAIN. There is not problem getting my money back because I just dispute the charge on my credit card however this is a real pain. My advise to anyone is not to do business with Consumer Reports.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have subscribed to Consumer Reports on and off for years. Usually when I stop subscribing it’s either because their reviews are inaccurate or there are missed issues. Most recently it’s a missed issue. My favorite issue is the April issue when they come out with their car reviews, but here is April 3 and still no April issue. Oh, but my May issue arrived, just not the one I really want. I have contacted customer service many times and they say they are sending out a new April issue but it could take several weeks. It's just very annoying and will likely cancel subscription once again when this one runs out.

Original review: April 2, 2018

On your recommendation, we purchased the top-of-the-line LG washer and dryer three years ago for over $1750. From day 1 I hated them. I have cursed them every wash day for three years. We had to have something repaired 2 months after we got them. The washer left soap scum on my black clothes, fabric softener goo on my sheets and yesterday, black “stuff” all over some white tee shirts I was trying to get white again. After SIX WASHINGS, there were just a few spots left. I was told I am supposed to wash the washer several times a year. That is asinine! I had Kenmore washers for decades and never washed the washer. With my Kenmore dryer I could take the clothes out right away and hang them and never have to iron. Now I have to iron everything. I am going to sell these and go back to Kenmore. DON'T BUY LG WASHER AND DRYER!

Original review: March 29, 2018

OK, I share blame in this for not checking ahead. My complaint is that I bought a subscription for the print version of the magazine, figuring I would also get access to digital as most magazines do these days. However, when I went to sign up for an online account they want another twenty bucks. Really? Business is that good in the magazine business these days that you can afford to alienate paying customers? Hope so, because you got me once but you won't get me again.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Do not sign up for the one month subscription. Not only did CR not work for us as we could not even find the models we were looking for, but I thought we were signing up for one month and one month only. I just noticed that they charged us again and when I asked for a refund they basically said, "No way" and "We don't refund". Even though the charge just happened an hour ago. That is completely unacceptable. Horrible customer service.

Consumer Reports Company Information