2.9/5 (500 ratings)

About Consumer Reports

Consumer Reports Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Read with dismay the 1 star reviews that seem inaccurate based on my 40+ year subscription and interaction with CR. It's nothing underhanded that if you are subscribed you're auto renewed, READ the terms, it's common practice. I've had no problems ever reaching customer support as I have several times over the years. They've always been responsive to any/all questions. Their terms are clear and all consumers should read and understand them before subscribing. Reviews and articles are unbiased and easy to understand; subscription models are clearly stated.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I paid Consumer Reports for a membership for online access. I have now been fighting with them for about a year as I can't log in via Windows 10, MacOS, Ubuntu, using Edge, or Chrome, or Firefox on any of my devices. I have submitted Emails to them with screenshots of what I'm getting from their servers and how I've attempted to resolve any issues at my end but they don't care or respond.

Consumer Reports says it my fault never theirs. Their attitude is one of "I don't care", "can't help you". I have rarely been met with such belligerence, and arrogance with any company as I have been with Consumer Reports. It's really frustrating to be treated this way by an organization that purports to be so devoted to its members and consumers. I've no choice but to simply abandoned my membership. My hands are tired. I would caution anyone wanting to join Consumer Reports that if you run into issues you're on your own. They will do nothing.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2022

In both social media and its magazine, CR says its pricing service offers "up-front price offers." But when you go to the dealership, you learn that CR has put its brand name on a vendor called TrueCar which allows dealers to adjust the price. You get an email that says the 'cost' of the car is a certain amount. You go to the dealership, and they can point out the language "The Member Price is an offer directly to you. It includes the vehicle's MSRP minus incentives and dealer discounts. It excludes dealer fees and accessories, applicable tax, title, licensing, other state and governmental charges and/or fees, and is subject to change based on incentives eligibility. TrueCar does not set vehicle pricing and is not responsible for errors in the pricing information given to you by a certified dealer through a TrueCar-powered platform."

How sad that Consumers has handed its decades of integrity over to a front for dealers and promises 'up-front price offers' that everyone knows are not upfront except the trusting readers of Consumer Reports. Can you imagine what Consumer Reports would say about a company that practiced such tactics? What a sad way to trade on what has been a legacy of integrity. No more. Sad. (Fine print: this is based on my actual experience at a Honda dealership. I probably should not have believed a car dealership could put an up-front price in an email. I only believed it because of the Consumer Reports brand).

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

The research that was provided was detailed and exact. I was able to investigate and make an assessment of which company I wanted to investigate and make a decision of insuring my vehicles to pay for the repairs

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Consumer Reports is very informative, in so much I also receive their magazine at home. No matter what you're buying they will have their reviews after testing the products. They have no advertising from other companies so there is no influence. Love them.

Original review: April 29, 2021

** How is this fair and non bias reporting? There are plenty of videos showing people “ghost riding” Fords, Chevy, and other vehicles. I don’t see any reviews about that. Besides, how is this helpful? This just makes me wonder what Consumer Reports has against Tesla.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Sunday, February 28, my wife and I subscribed to the digital subscription (monthly option) of Consumer Reports thinking we would be able to do comparison shopping and receive their recommendations for kitchen appliances. NOPE, we had to upgrade (not even the yearly subscription of $59 allows one to compare similar kitchen appliances). I thought there was a glaring omission for full disclosure. Consumer Reports was “silent” on this aspect. It was like a typical bait and switch, of allowing one to subscribe digitally, then if one wants the “extra” feature, you are forced to upgrade.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

You're a SELLER'S advertising agent, your review are provided before someone actually uses their services. BBB shows real reviews of actual products and services, which conflicts with yours. I didn't request ENDURANCE WARRANTY to contact me, also I unsubscribed from your EMAILS, but you still persist. REMOVE REQUEST #**, I DID NOT WANT A WORTHLESS POLICY.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I'm a decades-long subscriber. I loved CR. I was seldom disappointed when I followed their recommendations. But, like others who have commented here, I've been noticing problems with CR's subscription services for a while, such as starting my new subscriptions when I pay for them instead of extending the old subscription. This is generally 2 or 3 months that one loses off the year for which one paid. I've been able to resolve this with them before, but now they've made it impossible to contact them about it.

I've used the email form from the 'contact us' section of CR's website twice. They acknowledged receiving the email both times, but never contacted me about how to resolve my issue. I paid $20 and will have to try to get my credit card company to help me recover it. I also called the 'contact us' 5 times. Each time they start the call with so called 'exciting offers'; you know the drill: medicare plans, roadside assistance, etc. You have to listen to about a 30 - 45 second message for each one, then you're asked to press 1 if you're interested and # if you're not. So, I pressed # each time, but in all 5 calls, I was disconnected after my third # sign indicating not interested. The number is 1-800-333-3663; go ahead and try it, but unless you want to buy one of their scammy plans, you won't be able to talk to anyone. So buyer beware, the former champion of consumers has become a victimizer of consumers.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

After paying for one year (1 year, 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days...), Consumer Reports attempted to renew my subscription 3 months into my 12 month subscription. They tried to renew my subscription and charge my credit card for another 12 months after providing only 3 of 12 months of the subscription that I had paid for. My emails were unanswered, they just canceled my existing (and fully paid for) subscription after 3 of 12 paid months. I paid for 12, I got 3 (Not at all impressed by a company that claims to to be an advocate of the "Consumer"). Once upon a time, "Consumer Reports" was a trusted source of information, and didn't attempt to cheat their subscribers. Obviously, this is no longer true.

If you insist on subscribing to "Consumer Reports" despite this review, contest charges with your Credit Card Company when they try to renew your subscription 9 months before it expires (apparently "Consumer Reports" customer service no longer exists and contesting charges with you Credit Card company is the only effective way to deal with these idiots). They no longer care about Consumers or providing fair, unbiased reports. Better information can be gained from doing a simple Google search. The articles seem like they are written by Idiots, for Idiots. Unfortunately, I have made purchases based on "Consumer Reports" recommendations (tires, deck stain) and have been sorely disappointed. It's sad to see a once trusted source of fair and honest reviews reduced to what it is today - outrageous billing practices and highly dubious product reviews. Trust "Consumer Reports" at your own peril.

Consumer Reports Company Information