1.28/5
Based on 156 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

281 Consumer Reports Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I used CONsumer Reports one time and authorized them for a single payment for one month. Now I find that they have been billing me for the last two years at $7 per month without any notification. JERKS.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I have subscribed and enjoyed Consumer Reports for over thirty years. Unfortunately the quality and quantity have declined along with the accuracy. Many items have been eliminated or are no longer available. Indexes do not list them anymore. The reviews are shorter and do not contain important information that the prospective customer may be interested in. Presumptuous mistakes have occurred that lead consumers in the wrong direction. eg. Tesla automobile, when it was first introduced was given Glowing reviews and the highest ratings including reliability. How could a brand new vehicle, in one year with only tens of thousands of sales, have such great ratings in comparison to vehicles that have sold millions of vehicles for thirty, forty or more years? Now it has a much worse than average rating.

The latest and most blunder-less mistake is the report on televisions. November and December publish the same two page reviews less a few corrections that obviously could have been listed as corrections separately. And the people responsible for the errors should be reviewed and reprimanded for their mistakes. Just imagine the number of consumers that went out and purchased televisions based on incorrect data. That is unforgivable. I am sorry, but I see Consumer Reports Magazine just going down in the quality and quantity over the years despite all the people listed next to the President & CEO comments on page 6 December issue. There should be an accounting and responsibility for all of the employees from Marta Tellado on down the line.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Consumer Reports charged my credit card (October 2018) after canceling this account almost 10 years ago. The customer service rep said "after you cancel auto renew, you need to cancel every year so you don't get charged"! What?! I have to call every year AFTER I cancel the account? This is fraudulent and I plan to investigate this further. They should not be able to get away with charging canceled decade-old accounts! All of the information they provide is online for FREE through customer reviews. They're obviously hurting for cash and trying to find ways to stay around. Not cool!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I ordered a trial of face cream for 4.95 and received a 0.5-ounce little bottle of face cream. I was not impressed with the results but forgot to cancel within the 14 days cancellation policy that I overlooked. I received an alert from my credit card that about a fraud charge. I immediately got on the phone and called Essence PH customer service to cancel the order and the charges. According to the customer service I overlooked the cancellation policy. The charge to my card was for $94.90 because apparently you agree to membership fees if you don’t cancel within 14 days of ordering- not even from when you receive it.

According to their website they guarantee 100% money back, when I called customer service about the charge they were extremely unwilling to refund any money. I conceded to the argument because I blamed myself for not reading the whole website. Six days later I receive the same size bottle and was totally disappointed. I was expecting a lot more product, and not another sample bottle. The company is hiding fees all over the place and then will not refund you even though their site promises to do so. They cover themselves with ambiguous language in their terms and conditions. This business needs to be held accountable.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I subscribe Consumers Reports for 40 years, and even that they don't allow me I see their website for free, like other companies and organizations, what they want is money, and more money, and then they say they are a nonprofit organization, what they do with so much money, open your website for all and for free!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Information reported is too basic. In their results for refrigerators, CR uses words such as "quiet," "very quiet," "excellent," but to an engineer, any measurement not expressed in "standard" numerical terms don't carry much judgemental weight because it's not possible to know what the words truly mean. Evidently, they impress the average non-technical consumer. (As a follow-up, do an online search for the brand's name and "class action" to see how actual consumers perceive their product.)

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Today my checking account was charged $26.00 to automatically renew my subscription which I did not knowingly authorize. I did not recognize the phone number associated with the debit that appeared on my bank statement so I Googled the phone number and discovered it was CR. There were numerous recent reviews from CR customers citing their own experience with automatic debits to their bank accounts and the poor near hostile dealing with CR customer service personnel. My contact was with Walter and I was truly impressed with the professional manner that I received. There was no resistance to my cancellation request and a refund was promised immediately.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I wanted to cancel my membership and chat was not available, telephones were shut down. Even though their help section mentioned to click the "Cancel" button, the button does not exist or is extremely difficult to locate. I hope this does not turn into a battle as others have noted. I contacted them via email. If they do not honor that request I am left to pay with a new payment card that is about to expire. My experience for 3 years now is that their reviews and ratings do not reflect current models. They almost always recommend the cheapest product even though I want to find something that will remain reliable and last a long time. They prove that you get what you pay for. Buy cheap buy low quality. How can that rank above better items? Before starting my digital subscription it had been about 5 years the first time I cancelled my membership for the same reasons. No more subscriptions for me.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Consumer Reports also slammed me with an automatic renewal. I have not subscribed to their magazine for years so I was suspect of this letter. I called the magazine and the woman tried to justify their methods as legitimate. I told her I did not subscribe and do not want their magazine so cancel whatever order you think was made. Today I received a bill from Consumer Reports with a due date of 9/5/2018. How can they be trusted if they misrepresent their services?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I received an auto renewal notice stating that they couldn't contact me by email and were going to auto-renew. Well of course; they had my AOL account and I cancelled it 10 years ago. But they kept charging me, year after year, and never sent anything to me until this year. After reading all these comments, I truly believe this is the perfect situation for a class action lawsuit. I'm going to be contacting a lawyer as a first step and then will be soliciting for interested parties. I'll be posting again with more information re: contact numbers, etc.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Today Aug-1st is the renewal date for my Consumer Reports subscription! Last month I was sent a renewal notice for 1, 2, or 3 years. I did not pick a renewal as I was not able to find several items That I wanted some information so I did not see any reason to renew my subscription at $35.00 a year!! Well I get a e-mail saying that Consumer Reports had renewed me for another year! So I called them to tell them that I did not want to renew my subscription and I asked for them to cancel my subscription and could I get My Money refunded? I was told that they could only give me a prorated refund as of the 31st of August!

I told the Lady it hadn't even been renewed for 12 HOURS and she did not care. I told that I would come on this site and let people know how they did business and she could care a less. GREAT OUTFIT!!! I plain to see it's all about the MONEY and the Customers do not mean anything to them but hopefully more money. They do have some good things to look up but all in all they are not worth it. And they don't care about you, me, or anyone else! Just the MONEY. It's sad to see where this Country is Heading! I'm sorry to say THE WORD OF THE 21ST CENTURY IS (GREED!). Peace to all and Happy Trails...

Original review: July 13, 2018

Consumer Reports also slammed me with an automatic renewal. Who can you trust if they misrepresent their services? I will never ever use Consumer Reports again. Costco and Amazon give plenty of free reviews.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Bought a Samsung refrigerator with a 5 year warranty on the compressor. After 4.8 years it died. I paid Samsung a service charge to replace it under warranty. They did and it died about two weeks later. They agreed to refund my money, but 55 days later, still no refund. I get a changed story every time I call them and another 10 business day window to wait. I will never buy another Samsung product.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Mom had been a subscriber to Consumer Reports off and on since the 1970s! Apparently they are now in the business of taking advantage of the very people they are supposed to protect! There was no indication that her subscription would be automatically renewed but that's exactly what they did. Our family can no longer trust Consumer Reports, the magazine company we had always trusted. They should be sued for illegal/unethical business practices.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I was referred by a family to Shon Kable for service. I had his service for 2 1/2 weeks. I was told by Shon Kable to call him if I had any trouble with any of the channels, which I did. I text him & no response. Then the next day I text him letting him know that one of my channels was still out. He responded with a text “for your information I’m at work" & he doesn’t get local channels. If I want to see local channels I need to get Comcast or DirecTV. Well evidently, he doesn’t know his system or he is stealing cable from HBO, Cinemax, etc... and all of the channels that you pay extra for... To sum it all up he taken advantage of people and taken money for a service that he stolen from major companies and has a terrible customer service. He took my money, tune my service off 2 1/2 weeks before my next billing cycle. Beware, because I will be turning all his information to better Business Bureau.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Consumer Reports has changed dramatically over the last decade. Their magazine appears to cater to extremely well-off baby boomers, financially secure seniors, and young professionals. Totally bypassing the middle-class. Just take their reviews: $40,000 cars. $3500 refrigerators. $2500 outdoor grills. $1000 lawn mowers! I feel this is only encouraging conspicuous consumption. I am teaching my teenage daughters the principles of value, which is the perfect intersection of price, desirable features, and quality. If they want something, they have to comparison shop, and provide me with their research, and present their reasons for picking one product over another.

Therefore, they are really smart consumers at the ages of 13 and 17. And every day we discuss ostentatious spending such as my pointing out a vehicle that is obscenely priced such as a fully decked out crew cab Chevy pickup which is in the $55000-$70000 range. Compared to my long paid-for 2008 VW Jetta SEL which is in virtually perfect condition. My kids think it is ridiculous that anyone would have a $700 monthly car payment! Also, CR has turned into a psuedo Prevention publication. Too much information on health and neurotically good-for-you foods. Finally, I am continually bombarded with requests for donation CR mail requests. One was even emblazoned with "Important Impact Statement" on the outer envelope! Sorry, Consumer Reports, you no longer represent my demographic.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been a loyal subscriber to Consumer Reports since the early 1970's. Although I do not purchase many of the products they test, I used to believe that this organization was protecting my interests as a consumer against commercial enterprises whose interests were inimical to mine. The first hint of change occurred a few years ago when I tried to renew my subscription and learned that CR had changed to an auto-renew default. This system is designed to extract as much revenue as possible from the subscriber base. In previous years, CR would have criticized any business that employed such an abusive system. My protests to CR went unanswered but I still continued to support CR and did renew my subscription despite some misgivings.

Last week, I received an e-mail notification that the credit card I had on file with CR was due to expire shortly and should be renewed. There were some instructions on how to perform this task. I did not have any subscriptions about to expire, so I considered it strange to receive this notification. I tried to contact CR but their phone # only connected to an auto-attendant which did not offer any relevant options.

The e-mail also noted that I could e-mail CR but no e-mail address was provided. I tried to reply to the e-mail address that sent the message but I received an e-mail saying that that address could not receive e-mails. I tried different telephone options and finally reached a human being. I asked for an e-mail address of any live person at CR to contact and was told that those data are secret and never revealed. I asked to speak to someone and was told that was not possible. I was informed that this was corporate policy mandated by upper management. I asked to speak with upper management and was told that this is impossible. I was told to leave my e-mail address and someone might reply back to me within a week.

I tried to research online different possible officers or personnel at CR. CR does post names, photos, and bios of many seemingly-responsible individuals but no telephone numbers or e-mails. I searched elsewhere online but could not find any actual telephone numbers or e-mail addresses for anyone at CR. This is in sharp contrast to many large and potentially abusive corporate entities who routinely post on their webpages names, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of key managerial personnel. But it does explain why CR is doing so poorly, since it has deliberately shielded itself against any contact with its customer base.

Original review: April 16, 2018

A contrived, manipulative organization. Not worth the subscription money. Some of the studies are skewed or misleading. Customer Service is laughable: you can't get through immediately, as they try to sell you something while wasting a lot of your time. Even if you hit zero for an operator, they get rid of you by giving you a busy signal. Forget the "Chat" option, the "send" link is far below your screen where you can't get to it. I wonder what they're "consuming"? It's goodbye to Consumer Reports for me; it rates as one of the worst organization that I've ever dealt with.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This company's mission is to steal as much money they can legally get away with this. When you sign up they do not make it clear that they will automatically renew your monthly membership and automatically charge your credit card. By the time I noticed they had already charged me for several months service I never wanted. How can one trust a company with these types of business practices and ethics... I'm sure they would take bribes or "other" compensation to provide a glowing review. Don't trust this company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Consumer Reports - thumbs down on them. On November 20, 2017 I took advantage of a Consumer Reports offer of 1 yr subscription for $20.00. Having written the check on 11/20/17 my issues could not have started before Dec. 2017. However on April 9, 2018 I received notice that my subscription would expire with the next issue. Urging my renewal. Last time I heard, there are still 12 months in a year. So I called CR to set the record right. Right! Well the not so good English speaking girl said that I had only subscribed to 10 issues which started in October 2017. Amazing, they started my order before I requested it? Bottom line is: Forget Consumer Reports. They cheat, and then they lie!!!

Original review: April 6, 2018

Consumer Report had auto billed my credit card AGAIN. There is not problem getting my money back because I just dispute the charge on my credit card however this is a real pain. My advise to anyone is not to do business with Consumer Reports.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have subscribed to Consumer Reports on and off for years. Usually when I stop subscribing it’s either because their reviews are inaccurate or there are missed issues. Most recently it’s a missed issue. My favorite issue is the April issue when they come out with their car reviews, but here is April 3 and still no April issue. Oh, but my May issue arrived, just not the one I really want. I have contacted customer service many times and they say they are sending out a new April issue but it could take several weeks. It's just very annoying and will likely cancel subscription once again when this one runs out.

Original review: April 2, 2018

On your recommendation, we purchased the top-of-the-line LG washer and dryer three years ago for over $1750. From day 1 I hated them. I have cursed them every wash day for three years. We had to have something repaired 2 months after we got them. The washer left soap scum on my black clothes, fabric softener goo on my sheets and yesterday, black “stuff” all over some white tee shirts I was trying to get white again. After SIX WASHINGS, there were just a few spots left. I was told I am supposed to wash the washer several times a year. That is asinine! I had Kenmore washers for decades and never washed the washer. With my Kenmore dryer I could take the clothes out right away and hang them and never have to iron. Now I have to iron everything. I am going to sell these and go back to Kenmore. DON'T BUY LG WASHER AND DRYER!

Original review: March 29, 2018

OK, I share blame in this for not checking ahead. My complaint is that I bought a subscription for the print version of the magazine, figuring I would also get access to digital as most magazines do these days. However, when I went to sign up for an online account they want another twenty bucks. Really? Business is that good in the magazine business these days that you can afford to alienate paying customers? Hope so, because you got me once but you won't get me again.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Do not sign up for the one month subscription. Not only did CR not work for us as we could not even find the models we were looking for, but I thought we were signing up for one month and one month only. I just noticed that they charged us again and when I asked for a refund they basically said, "No way" and "We don't refund". Even though the charge just happened an hour ago. That is completely unacceptable. Horrible customer service.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I'm rating y'all 1 star because I'm pissed off at PayPal for red tape that I despise. My wife & I are really high up in the military intelligence community. Only 3 people above me. My wife 4 people above her. So now I tried to set up a PayPal acct. The soc. sec. # is not required on the form but in order to get the damn card sent or a secondary card I need my soc. sec. # that I can't remember due to the fact I have a traumatic brain injury due to a T.B.I. from Afghanistan Aug 2011. My wife was in that same humvee c/ me. She was thrown 150' into a mine field. Her head landed 2-3" away from the pressure point of a land mine so she doesn't remember her soc. sec. # either. So it's ** that they require that. I got a huge runaround. I spent at least a hour on the phone c/ them mostly on hold. Now I tried to rate them on y'all's site which is impossible so I'm now rating y'all the same. I hope y'all are happy c/ y'all selfs.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Consumer Reports should probably rename itself to "Product ratings for rich people". Why CR is bad: It is simply not practical. How many people are really going to spend $700 on a blender? Not everyone is going to open a restaurant! There are lots of outrageous recommendations out there. They should have reviewed more products than what they have done right now. A lot of product ratings are not up to date or simply not given. A lot of products they recommend have very low "customer ratings" on Amazon etc. You can clearly tell that those products are of very low quality. I have seen many products with 3.5 stars or even lower on Amazon. A lot of products they recommend are simply not available for purchase from a reliable retailer.

I subscribed to CR hoping that it can give me simple, worry-free recommendations so that whenever I want to make a major purchase, I just look it up on CR and go ahead and buy it. CR proved me wrong. They are not reliable at all. A universal guide to buying almost anything: search "the best" + product name, e.g. "The best Bluetooth speaker", and usually there will be tens of guides, tests, reviews and recommendations about those products. Read a few, read Amazon reviews (especially bad ones), look at their specs, and MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICE. Forget Consumer Reports.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have been receiving, via email and via snail mail, day after day, requests for donations. Literature says they accept no advertising and that they "rely on the generosity of friends..." I have a digital subscription and was dismayed to see that a good many of the products that they "review" have affiliate links to Amazon, Best Buy, etc. I am particularly incensed because my family owns a rather large appliance center, and find that this pushing customers to buy from somewhere that Consumer Reports gets a commission is far from fair. This is "Advertising", no matter how you look at it. I contacted their "customer care" line and was told that they do not get a commission, that it was just for our convenience. I found pages on their site that states that they do receive a commission.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I wish I would have read these reviews before subscribing to CR! I went looking for reviews only after reading what the latest issue recommended for the common cold and flu remedies. Tissues for a stuffy/runny nose?! For real??? Needless to say, I now have to question their so called "rating reviews" on everything else. I am truly disappointed in the lack of research Consumer Reports put into the whole subject of nutrition/health. Recommending a flu shot, even when they said themself as I quote from the latest issue January 2017, page 41 "A mercury-containing preservative called thimerosal is in certain vaccines. But it's only a trace amount" No joke!!!

And rating of deaths reported by Consumer Reports due to colds or flu, do not report from getting the flu shot first before becoming affected with the flu or cold!

So I have to question every rating and testing they perform. I will be cancelling my subscription by getting a new credit card, so they cannot bill my account, like they have done to so many already! So disappointed!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

OnLine Subscription. I strongly suggest you NEVER use this way to use access Consumer Reports. I used it one time when I wanted to decide about which Flat Screen TV to purchase. For 1 month the price was $7.99, which I thought was high since a 1 year magazine subscription was only $20. But I agreed and gave them my credit card.

Unfortunately the part time accountant that I use got all my credit card bills and paid it each month. It took over 6 months before I found out they were still charging me every month!! When I called them to ask for a refund, they refused, even for the current month, saying that I had agreed to an "automatic renewal" which I never knowing did.

The woman said "I can see you never used it again but we never give any refunds even if you didn't realize we would automatically renew your monthly subscription and you never used it again." This happens frequently but we are a business, even though we are "non-profit", and we have to make money." Automatic renewal must have been in extremely small print or camouflaged in some way. It made me furious and I lost all respect for them.

Consumer Reports Company Information