2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.28/5

Consumer Reports Reviews

Original review: May 18, 2020

I purchased a subscription primarily to access their annual Best Sunscreen Reviews. All along they have been saying that the best sunscreens block both UVA and UVB rays. This year, however, they rated the best sunscreen as only blocking UVA rays. I find this very confusing and unprofessional. Do they do that with other products as well?

Original review: April 4, 2020

They rating best cars as average predicted reliability. For example Toyota Rav4. We all know it is one of the best. At same time Chevrolet gets best scores. Propaganda. BS. Will not buy or view never again. Use your own judgment and common sense.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I have been a Consumer Reports customer for over 30 years. They used to publish decent reliability statistics in their magazine and on-line that you could trust. BUT NO MORE! The last several years, their product ratings have not been complete or accurate. I do my own research and have concluded that you cannot trust their ratings. The latest example is their rating of heat pumps. Trane is ranked the best and Goodman is ranked at the bottom by Consumer Reports. Since my 12 year old high efficiency Trane heat pump failed after 12 years (6 repairs in that time), I know about Trane. So I researched on-line and found an excellent website of a 25 year old company that installs all major brands (**) and who ranks heat pumps. Their ratings show Goodman at the top and Trane toward the bottom.

Which rating do think is accurate? Local HVAC contractors all recommend Goodman because of the reliability and lower cost. My neighbors who have Goodman report no problems. Consumer Reports is no longer the source for reliable research on ANY product. I have done research on other products (electronics, water treatment, etc.) and had the same result. I recommend to anyone who is buying a major product to search that industry on the internet for unbiased ratings. Consumeraffairs.com is an excellent place to start. They rate Consumer Reports 1 star. There are reasons for that.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Of the 22 product categories listed under Products: Babies and Kids, Consumer Reports.org is actively testing and updating only 3 categories: Carseats, Strollers, and humidifiers. The other 19 categories are either not currently being tested or permanently archived. When speaking with a customer service representative, the Customer Reports member defended the organization's position by stating that the information is still relevant and useful because the products are still available in the market place.

However, Customer Reports' decision to no longer test products within the 19 of the 22 baby & kid categories suggests that infant and child safety is no longer relevant to their mission statement or organizational goals. And as such, Consumer Reports should remove the pages or permanently archived them rather than continuing to list the pages in the same manner as "actively tested" products. The disclaimers posted to the individual page are not enough; the pages should be moved or removed.

Active Categories: Carseats, Strollers, Humidifiers. Consumer Reports is not currently testing: baby monitors, cribs, High Chairs, thermometers. Consumer Reports no longer updates this product category and maintains it for archival purposes only: baby bathtubs, baby food, baby formula, backpack carriers, backpacks, bassinets, bike trailer, breast pump, crib bedding, crib mattress, diaper bags, diapers, nursing bra, play yards, safety gates.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I have been reading this magazine for years. I have now retired and have more time but I was not happy when I seen the large donations they accepted from large foundations like Ford and Robert Wood Johnson. These are still large companies and you cannot be non bias when you accept money from them. Also they give or rent your personal information the collected from magazine subscriptions. Also I sent in a magazine discount coupon for subscription and they sent me a bill for twice the amount. Shame on you Consumers. You are not for the people anymore. It all about where you can get money from. UNHAPPY CONSUMER

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We cancelled our subscription and auto-pay in Nov, which was for $7.95 a month. Magically, a $10 charge starts appearing from Consumer Reports in Dec on the same billing date (7th) and same card and hits again in Jan. We call in and they see we cancelled but claim someone called in and opened a new subscription. That's complete BS. This is criminal fraud by a so-called consumer-oriented company. Tell me that someone, somehow got our card # and decided to start up a subscription the very next month. There's no other fraud on our card. This is an internal scam perpetrated by Consumer Reports.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I signed up with understanding Consumer Reports did most general products, like dog food. I gave Consumer reports a four star for the help I got for my first search. Second search was dog food, zero help. I will give it one more chance with something else. But clearly, at this point, help is limited.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I don’t understand why two of my reviews have not been posted. I have updated my review that you have totally ignored. Why you just want to show this issue was resolved is beyond me. I wrote a google review and have received many thanks over 480 if not more viewers. So if you don’t want to review honestly about this Empire Today, that’s just fine. But take down my whole review because it’s not the whole story. And close my account. I won’t waste my time with you ever again. ????

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Consumer Reports gave out my email address and phone number to third parties. All I was doing was looking at cars casually and suddenly a dozen car dealerships were auto calling and emailing me. Consumer reports is a scam!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

After spending $35 I was asked to upgrade the subscription for $20 more for a magazine? Why would I need the magazine if I have a computer? Then I start getting requests for a "donation" to keep them financially able to continue in business? I then clicked on "unsubscribe" to end their flood of emails. It said it could take "up to 10 days" to remove my email and stop them sending more. They didn't do as they said. Numerous requests to unsubscribe were sent and were ignored. I sent an email to them to NOT automatically renew my subscription and REQUESTED a response by email to acknowledge my request which they did.

Month after month I continued to still receive their unwanted emails for advertising and or requests for a donation. Have sent them an email to cease and desist with their emails as I have requested for many, many months and requested they respond by mail stating the date my email address has been removed as they have promised to do so. This is NOT the Consumer Reports I remember from years ago. Sad that they have to request donations now. Times have changed, but if you say you'll promise to do something for a consumer then do it.

Consumer Reports Company Information