2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.68/5

Consumer Reports Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Reports?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I have used "Consumer Reports" for many purchases including major appliances and even cars!! Always consistent and reliable.. Graphic artwork and layouts are always of the very best quality.. Right down to the paper used..Glossy or matte true experience I look forward to.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

This app and website is easily accessible, but there could be more advertisements of the app and site. For more public coverage. If there was a way that this opportunity could be more advertised to the public through social media platforms.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have found Consumer Reports spot on for any large purchase. I have bought my last two Subaru’s based on Consumer Reports. I trust them because they are unbiased in their research as well as consumer testimonials for every product both positive and negative.

Original review: April 29, 2021

** How is this fair and non bias reporting? There are plenty of videos showing people “ghost riding” Fords, Chevy, and other vehicles. I don’t see any reviews about that. Besides, how is this helpful? This just makes me wonder what Consumer Reports has against Tesla.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Sunday, February 28, my wife and I subscribed to the digital subscription (monthly option) of Consumer Reports thinking we would be able to do comparison shopping and receive their recommendations for kitchen appliances. NOPE, we had to upgrade (not even the yearly subscription of $59 allows one to compare similar kitchen appliances). I thought there was a glaring omission for full disclosure. Consumer Reports was “silent” on this aspect. It was like a typical bait and switch, of allowing one to subscribe digitally, then if one wants the “extra” feature, you are forced to upgrade.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

You're a SELLER'S advertising agent, your review are provided before someone actually uses their services. BBB shows real reviews of actual products and services, which conflicts with yours. I didn't request ENDURANCE WARRANTY to contact me, also I unsubscribed from your EMAILS, but you still persist. REMOVE REQUEST #**, I DID NOT WANT A WORTHLESS POLICY.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I'm a decades-long subscriber. I loved CR. I was seldom disappointed when I followed their recommendations. But, like others who have commented here, I've been noticing problems with CR's subscription services for a while, such as starting my new subscriptions when I pay for them instead of extending the old subscription. This is generally 2 or 3 months that one loses off the year for which one paid. I've been able to resolve this with them before, but now they've made it impossible to contact them about it.

I've used the email form from the 'contact us' section of CR's website twice. They acknowledged receiving the email both times, but never contacted me about how to resolve my issue. I paid $20 and will have to try to get my credit card company to help me recover it. I also called the 'contact us' 5 times. Each time they start the call with so called 'exciting offers'; you know the drill: medicare plans, roadside assistance, etc. You have to listen to about a 30 - 45 second message for each one, then you're asked to press 1 if you're interested and # if you're not. So, I pressed # each time, but in all 5 calls, I was disconnected after my third # sign indicating not interested. The number is 1-800-333-3663; go ahead and try it, but unless you want to buy one of their scammy plans, you won't be able to talk to anyone. So buyer beware, the former champion of consumers has become a victimizer of consumers.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

After paying for one year (1 year, 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days...), Consumer Reports attempted to renew my subscription 3 months into my 12 month subscription. They tried to renew my subscription and charge my credit card for another 12 months after providing only 3 of 12 months of the subscription that I had paid for. My emails were unanswered, they just canceled my existing (and fully paid for) subscription after 3 of 12 paid months. I paid for 12, I got 3 (Not at all impressed by a company that claims to to be an advocate of the "Consumer"). Once upon a time, "Consumer Reports" was a trusted source of information, and didn't attempt to cheat their subscribers. Obviously, this is no longer true.

If you insist on subscribing to "Consumer Reports" despite this review, contest charges with your Credit Card Company when they try to renew your subscription 9 months before it expires (apparently "Consumer Reports" customer service no longer exists and contesting charges with you Credit Card company is the only effective way to deal with these idiots). They no longer care about Consumers or providing fair, unbiased reports. Better information can be gained from doing a simple Google search. The articles seem like they are written by Idiots, for Idiots. Unfortunately, I have made purchases based on "Consumer Reports" recommendations (tires, deck stain) and have been sorely disappointed. It's sad to see a once trusted source of fair and honest reviews reduced to what it is today - outrageous billing practices and highly dubious product reviews. Trust "Consumer Reports" at your own peril.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

My invoice from them shows expiration date of Nov 21. They said on recent invoice I am past due. The expiration date they provide is one year later than your subscription expires. The correct date should be provided.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

CR used to provide non-biased ratings on products which I felt I could count on. That is why I was a long time subscriber. Recently (maybe a year ago or so ) I started noticing liberal bias creeping into the articles and personal opinions from the writer. For example, in the latest issue an article entitled "Keep Calm and Come Together" featured 6 pages of drivel about keeping yourself safe from covid. No scientific-based fact on anything published and the tone is that of the "nanny state". The suggestions are laughable and do not belong in a so-called unbiased magazine. Also, I've noticed the CRO editorial pandering to liberal viewpoints and comments that do not belong in this type of magazine! I am canceling my print, digital and On Health subscriptions and hope others who feel this way will also do so. A message needs to be sent.

Consumer Reports Company Information