Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.46/5

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

AngiesList.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AngiesList.com?

Original review: July 23, 2020

Did not receive jobs in my categories, got few real jobs per month. Jobs I did get calls for were many times for excavations, I am a plumbing and air conditioning contractor, also had my ad in out of state contractor?

Original review: July 16, 2020

Totally unprofessional. The worst "Joe". Was horrible. I contacted them through your company recommendation, now the A/C tech was professional, he thought my thermostat was the issue, however after spending almost 700$ the A/C was not better. I was lied to by "Joe" on providing military discount. He promised to send my money $897.27 back on Thursday 6/9/20. On 6/16/20 I had to call again to remind him of my $897.27 payment, he was completely unprofessional and even called me a "girl" for complaining to him about him not keeping his word of honoring his 10% military discount. He stated since I had complained about him "lying" he was not giving me a discount. He was belligerent and the GIRL comment was said like a homophobic slur. I would not ever utilize that company again.

The initial 700 payment was for them to diagnose the A/C problem. This was a misdiagnose, stating that I would need (2) coils in my two Carrier units. Total cost would have been over $3100.00. I decided to get a second opinion. The company charged me $150.00 to tell me that the thermostat was wired wrong by JDL, in the bottom unit and the upstairs unit needed a fan. $350.00. So instead of 3100, I will pay 500$, plus the 700$ that I paid for thermostat that was wired into the heating unit, not the A/C....

Original review: July 7, 2020

They never answer the phone! They don’t care about your business. They just want to make an easy check from you every month. The leads are not accurate. It's really hard to Make money. I want to cancel and I can’t even get in touch with them for days!

Original review: June 28, 2020

I tried reviewing a company I used from AngiesList and they would not post my review. I provided all my info to prove I was a legitimate customer and they still did not post it. They must get paid by companies to filter reviews. Would not trust anything from their website nor will I use them in the future.

Original review: June 21, 2020

They are charging businesses to advertise with them and then sending the lead info to their new partner Handy. I used an incognito window to search my area and started getting solicited from handy and hadn’t asked for a quote.

Original review: June 17, 2020

Our company subscribed to Angie's List in Feb 2020. Paid over $8K for a year of advertising in advance. To date, it's been a 4-month nightmare. Terrible leads (we question whether they are legitimate) and poor service from AL. About 75% of the requests for service were for services our company does not provide, but AL could not figure out how to properly categorize our services or communicate accurate information with their members. We finally canceled our contract to put a stop to the nuisance leads. A complete waste of time and money! We DO NOT RECOMMEND doing business with Angie's List/Home Advisor. It was a terrible experience for our company. If we could give them a grade, it would be an "D-" as they were very responsive when it came selling us a worthless service.

Original review: May 29, 2020

We signed up with Angie's List on March of last year. For the first few months, we were receiving leads from counties we don't service nor advertise, and even from out of state (NY, where we don't even have a license for), so basically not valid leads. We called customer support many times to let them know, and every time they said they would fix it, but kept happening for another 3-4 months. After they finally changed it to advertise us just on Bergen County (area we DO service), we did receive a few leads from our area, but still mixed with a lot of other areas we don't service. More invalid leads than valid ones. Bottom line, absolutely not worth the money spent monthly.

This being said, we called Angie's List customer support one more time, but this time to cancel the service. They said that they could cancel it, but we would have to pay a significant early termination fee, which would make it a lot more expensive than just keeping it for the remainder of the year contract, if we were to grab at least a couple of jobs here and there. We kept it, but mentioned that we would NOT renew it for the following year.

We are also subscribed to Home Advisor, which we pay per lead instead of monthly like Angie's List, and at one point we started receiving leads on Home Advisor that said "Lead submitted via Angie's List". This is where we realized that Home Advisor and Angie’s List are owned by the same people, and we were paying twice for the same lead. We are paying Home Advisor for that lead that came in, but also Angie’s List monthly for the same lead that found us on their platform. We called customer support again, and they tried to explain how it worked and why we weren’t paying twice, but didn’t make sense at all.

At this point we asked again to cancel our contract, to which we were told one more time that it would be an early termination with a high fee. We were again convinced to keep it till the end of the contract. Once again we let them know that we would continue with the subscription until the end of the contract, but we would NOT renew it. This year we sent them an email asking when the contract was up, with the idea of NOT renewing.

They answered right away saying that our contract had been renewed for another year, after we specifically mentioned at least a couple of times that we didn’t want to renew. We told them that we didn’t want to renew, and that they knew that from last year, and they said they sent us an email regarding the renewal, and if we wanted to cancel the contract, we would have to pay an early termination fee. EARLY??? We told them last year that we didn’t want to renew!

We also told them we didn’t receive any emails from them, but they kept saying they did send it. We checked again the email address we have in their system, but couldn’t find anything. They then said they sent it to an email address we haven’t used in over a year, and we don’t even have in our Angie’s List platform. Even though we kept saying that that email address was not in use for over a year and it’s not the one they have on file, they kept insisting that the email was sent and because they didn’t receive a reply, they auto-renewed the contract. That is insane. AND THAT EMAIL WAS NEVER OPENED until they told us they sent it there.

We told them many times that it was ok to charge us for the couple of months of the running year, but to please cancel that contract with no early termination fees, but we always got a negative response. We can't say for sure we know how to ensure we can cancel after maximizing what we are committed to since if we cancel now we pay early termination fee, and if they send us a renewal email under the radar again and we don't catch it, you automatically are renewed.

Not surprisingly, if you Google Angie's List for complaints, you will see many negative reviews about their deceptive business practices and questionable validity of how they promote the "best" service providers.

I suppose what is most surprising of all though is, in these current unprecedented times where businesses, especially contractors that focus on residential/non-commercial customers who either have been financially impacted by the COVID crisis or are afraid and want to distance themselves from the risk of virus exposure,, Angie's list is taking a very hard line.

Insurance companies are voluntarily reducing premiums, small businesses are feeding front line essential workers, banks and credit cards are easing restrictions, but Angie's list management won't even return phone calls to if nothing else have a fair conversation. Calls to customer service who referred us to a manager and promised a call back followed by 5 voice mail messages were not even returned.

The salesman said you signed the contract and they will not deviate from it, even though we never knowingly opted into a renewal. Legality aside, in these times, is this the company you want to have your back or be your "trusted advisor?" There are two sides to every story, so I encourage you to Google "Angie’s List Complaints, Angie’s List Scam, Angie’s List Deceptive Sales Practices" to name a few searches. If you are a consumer I encourage you to do the same, including looking at consumer reports and phrases like "Is Angie's List Reputable?"

Original review: May 11, 2020

Don't be fooled by the legacy of the name. Now it's just a scam. No longer convenient and not even fair anymore for the businesses. Consumers have to provide personal information just to see anything and businesses have to pay for ads to get better fake reviews! Unapologetic. Pay to win in real life.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I have never been treated with such disregard of professionalism or carelessness from a company in general. That's should say enough. Steer clear of Angie's list. They do not have any real substance to serve their clients with any actual services.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I contracted with A and P painting in Las Vegas, NV to paint the exterior of my house. I could not be any happier with the level of service and expertise from this company! I highly recommend this painting company.

AngiesList.com Company Information