1.54/5
Based on 82 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

621 Reader's Digest Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 29, 2013

Ordered 2 books from them on July 29, 2013 for $29.95 each which I selected that I would pay upfront so I didn't have to pay any shipping or handling. I noticed that there wasn't a charge on my credit card and since I am unable to check the status of my order online - I call them on Aug 7. I call them and they had no information as to when it will be sent out. I call them again the following week and the woman on the phone advises me that they were switching warehouses so no books have been sent out. The company didn't even bother to send out an email stating that the books were on back order nor did the website say there was a back order. No further information on when it will be sent out.

I email them on August 21 in which no one to this day has replied to me asking them if the order has been sent out yet. I called them for a 4th time and the woman I spoke to was quite pleasant and told me that the books had been sent out on August 15th and that I should expect them near the end of August. Today is August 29 and I call them for a 5th time because I still have not received the books I ordered now over a month ago. The woman I spoke to on the phone today was extremely rude, I know that I am a frustrated customer but her responses to me were quite snotty. I said to her that I don't think my credit card was charged when I ordered the books, because there was a deal that if you paid upfront you wouldn't have to pay S&H. So she advised me that my credit card was charged on Aug 17.

So I check my account online and I see there was a charge for $31 so I said to her that they haven't charged me for both books. She then tells me that they only sent me one book and I said but I ordered two... The digest diet and the digest diet cookbook and she said that she only sees that I ordered the first one. So, now I'm obviously frustrated because it’s been a month and I still haven't received my books plus if I had to reorder the cookbook would I be waiting another month and a half to receive it? Then I bring up the fact that online on their readersdigeststore.com that I am looking at the book I ordered and it’s now saying its $14.00 but I had paid $29.95 for mine.

She did put me on hold to see what she could do but came back to the phone and said $14.00 is the American price, $29.95 is the Canadian price. Which is absolutely ridiculous considering that American and Canadian exchange rate is basically par. I advised her that once I receive the book that I will be sending it back for a full refund and that it was my first time shopping at reader's digest and that I will NEVER order from them again. Their customer service is the pits and you have to wait forever to receive an order... Still waiting on mine, I believe I have to wait another 2 weeks even though a month has already passed.

Original review: April 28, 2013

I ordered and paid for a subscription 7 months ago and still have not received my magazines. I know I never will because when I called, they had no record of the order. I paid for this via a school fundraiser and received a confirmation notice about the subscription from the company. I figured because I went through the school, which went through the fundraising company, which went through Reader's Digest, that this was too many hoops to jump through to get my $20 back. But now I am furious since I ordered a subscription for my mom for Christmas 5 months ago and she still has not received a single magazine. I will be calling to check on this. Reader's Digest better get their act together. I love the magazine and want to read it, but I am afraid to pay money for it because twice in one year we have not gotten our magazines.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: April 16, 2013

This happened to me also! My aunt bought me a 1-year-subscription. They sent me recently a "past due bill". I mean, it was clearly a 1-year agreement. Is there anything we can do?

Original review: April 5, 2013

On July 10, 2012, they cashed my check of $29.96. I did call them 3 different times and told me they were sorry and they will send my books. Now today, 4/5/2013, I called and demanded my money back. I hate this company.

Original review: March 23, 2013

I hate RD with a passion! Last spring, I took RD up on an offer to get one magazine free. If I didn't want the subscription, just write cancel on the bill. I did precisely that then I started to get billed for the selected book club for books I never received nor had agreed to buy into. Then, the threats of taking it to collections came. I wrote one letter and it didn't help. I wrote a second letter, this time sending it registered so it had to be signed for. In this letter, I clearly told them they had no proof that I agreed to join their club for condensed books, no proof that I had received any of them, and that they had no proof of my signature agreeing to anything!

I didn't hear from them for several months. If my memory serves me correctly, I think I may have mentioned legal action. Now, I am getting a bill for items I never ordered. I will be sending a very direct but nasty registered letter where I will advise them that I will go to the Ontario Provincial Police who has a fraud squad and will report them. We are not powerless! As one person, we don't have much power, but if we organize as a group, that's a different story. As a group, we can start letter campaigns, write articles to the newspapers, contact news casts such as W5, 60 Minutes, 5th Estate, etc., and bring this stuff into the light of day in order to put a stop to it. If interested in doing so, make a mention in your posting with a way to get a hold of you via email so we can start getting things together. I have 20 years experience in social work which required a lot of advocacy. I am sure there are lots of advocates out there. Let’s send Reader’s Digest a message to slither back under the rock they came from!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reader's Digest?

Original review: March 17, 2013

I have experienced problems with Reader's Digest demanding money for products I returned or even worse, products I did not order in the first place. Recently, they claimed they do not have the returned item in their warehouse! How convenient. I told them if the returned item was lost in transit or if a warehouse worker did not record the return, that is their problem. They have the colossal nerve trying to scam innocent, hard working people.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2013

Reader's Digest consistently sends me books that I never ordered and then require that I pay for them. There is no way for me to send the books back and again, I did not order them. What do I do?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2012

I received a book in the mail that had free all over it. A month or so later I received another one that stated the same, free, except this one also had a free gift enclosed on the box; it was a cheap ink pen. A few weeks or a month later, I received an invoice (bill) saying I owed them $. I promptly wrote a letter stating that I did not order the book. I sent the book back - at my own expense, and I'm still receiving bills! The second bill they were threatening to turn over to collections. The latest bill was yesterday. I didn't even open it. I wrote return to sender, but I did write on the envelope stating the same things I mentioned above. There is no phone number to call, just an address. This is my second complaint online.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2012

I got a one-year free subscription to Reader's Digest. Now, they are sending me books I didn't order. The first time, it said it was a "free gift." So I opened it. The second time, I assumed it was also free since I never ordered anything. Then I got a bill for $30! This was one of those mind stretchers books, one I could pick up from the magazine rack for $5. So I tried to fight it. I called them, emailed them, nothing. I got about four more notices and was in the process of buying a home, so I paid it. Then, another book comes. I refuse it this time, because their website says it will cancel the bill and future mailings when you do that. But guess what I received a month later? Another bill. So I tried to email them again. And I still have no response. I'm not paying this bill. I don't even have the book! I am so fed up with this company!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2012

I just received a bill in the amount of $31.22 for volumes 4-12 of Reader's Digest Select Editions. Since I have never ordered anything from them or received a book, I wanted to call and clear this up. No phone number was provided so I had to look it up online. When I was finally able to speak to a human being, she stated (in a very heavy accent) that I had ordered and received a book in August. I assured her I had neither ordered nor received this book. She asked if I would be interested in continuing the series? Um, no! She let me know another book was on its way and would I consider keeping it and paying for it, again no!

Her next question was, "Did you open the 1st book?" I never received a book so how could I open it? She tried several more times to get me to consider continuing this series (don't even know what it is). She finally told me to mark the book 'refused' and return it when it arrives. I'm still a bit worried about this because I've seen other posts stating that people continued to receive bills even after refusing. I am extremely protective of my credit rating and am worried that this scam may somehow negatively impact me!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2012

I went to the internet to renew my Reader's Digest subscription and every site I went to have a different price from the one they sent me. There is no phone number anywhere on the statement to call them. Why don't they want anyone to call? I just wanted to renew. You used to get someone in the US. Now who knows where you call? They messed up my last renewal. I got one free for someone. They never renewed mine, just the free one. Where is the great customer service they used to have?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2012

I received a letter from a Collections Department from Readers Digest! Charles ** claims I ordered a book which I never did or never even heard of, The River Bones Collection. They keep sending me magazines. I ordered a one-time subscription of their magazine. They keep billing me for other things I've ordered. They're obviously not keeping track of their records. I innocently go out for their sweepstakes that are for free supposedly. I get charged fro unrecognized objects that I never received or ordered. I keep refusing and returning their packages and other magazines to get a first time past due notice on something I never ordered and received and I definitely would not want. It's not of interest to me and I don't read books, once in a while magazines.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2012

I currently subscribe to an RD periodical (The Family Handyman). Now, RD sent me a book unsolicited and is threatening to send my account to collection if I don't pay. I never received the book and never ordered it. I am going down the road of the Department of Consumer Protection and Better Business Bureau. Does anyone know if this is a Federal crime as they use the postal system to execute their scam? Also, while the individual scope is small ($30 per person), the total must be in the millions. Doesn't that along with interstate scope make this Racketeering (RICO) charge?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2012

I was wrongly billed for an item I never requested or received. I have attached here a screenshot of the final portion of my chat online today with Eliza at Reader's Digest. Eliza told me that my name was on a sweepstakes entry form and that is how I got the book (which never arrived) and the invoice. I told her this sounds like the old telephone slamming scam where companies would put a letter of agency on the back of a sweepstakes form so that filling out the form would also allow them to switch your long distance carrier. After two years in that scam, I had a letter from the FCC thanking me for my help in shutting down a very large company performing these scams out of Florida. I wish I could help shut down those responsible for this stunt by Reader's Digest. Time will tell if they truly have removed this bogus invoice.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2012

I have a bill from Reader's Digest for volumes 4-12, The Bungalow, for $31.65. I didn't order nor did I receive. After reading the reviews of all the other people this happened to, I need to know just what to do with this bill that is not my own. My bill doesn't have a phone number listed on the bill but has an address: Reader's Digest PO Box 25860, Lehigh Valley, PA 18002-5860. Help me out here!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2012

I entered a sweepstakes at their website and it said that no purchase was necessary. I clicked where it said, "If you'd prefer to just enter the sweepstakes, click here,” and I got charged anyway. I completed the entry procedure and immediately received a confirmation order for a product I didn't order for $31.96 plus $7.99 for shipping.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2012

I tried calling Reader's Digest #800-304-2807 and could not get through. When I logged onto their website using the account number provided on the invoice, there was no such account number. When I tried to log on using my personal information, there was no recognition of my name and address either. Isn't this suspicious? I submitted an email to RD customer care support team on 9-6-12 asking them what was Vol 4-12 The Bungalow and why was I being billed for $30.71 for something that I did not order? An email auto-response said it will be answered within 24 hours.

Original review: June 29, 2012

Sometime in the second week of May 2012, we received a crossword puzzle-type book. On the front of the package in 2-inch bold letters, it said 'free gift'. There was no invoice in the package. Today, we received a past due billing of $27.98 for this book, which was never ordered! There is no phone number to call to resolve this issue. I went to the internet and found a list of 574 complaints against Reader's Digest for this same type of problem. We do not plan on sending money for this scam by Reader's Digest!

Original review: May 25, 2012

I had written a handwritten letter requesting for there to be no more of your products to be mailed to this address and it has not stopped. It seems like I receive more now that I have asked to be taken off the list. Please discontinue any further books, magazines, music or any other product you carry. Thank you for your cooperation.

Original review: April 23, 2012

Subscription was paid vide cheque no ** GPT Rs.519, drawn from Bank of Maharashtra Andheri West branch, which was debited on 28.11.11. However, I have received letter on April 12, stating that the payment is still outstanding. Please check and confirm receipt of the payment. I have received 4 issues of RD.

Original review: April 10, 2012

As a senior citizen living in the boonies, I started a subscription in November 2011. I received a bill which I paid in December for a great rate of $8.00 for one year. The check was cashed in December. Without receiving one issue, I started receiving renewal notices. I wrote two letters, including a copy of my cashed check which indicates my experience.

I received another notice to renew. I called and spoke to a customer service person. I had asked for a supervisor. After I explained my story, this moron had the audacity to ask if I wanted to renew. I said, "Did you not listen to me?" Next, I received January and February. Today, I got May's issue. No March or April. I called again, asked for a supervisor, and asked where I was calling to, which was not the United States. I explained my story and requested a refund of $8.00 which I paid originally. The person said if I did receive another issue, it was to be considered complementary. I was speechless. He also said to ignore any future bills. I said I was going to write on the envelope "These people are morons and return to sender."

This has been beyond aggravating and also very sad, because I enjoyed reading the Digest since I was a child. I worked all my life with the public. If I had given the kind of customer service this company has provided me with, I can assure you I would have been fired.

Original review: April 3, 2012

Notice of delinquency and books sent without consent: I paid by check on 3/28/12 the amount of $22.89. Also, I paid by check on 3/28/12 the amount of $30.56. I presumed it was for the last book I received, and I don't think I asked for the said book. Please, do not send me anything more.

Original review: April 2, 2012

I am trying to renew my subscription on my computer to save $5.00 off the $17.98 listed on the voucher. I have called your 800# about the problem, with no results. Each time I have tried to renew, I ended up on a service company site, not the Reader Digest site. They are offering $14.98. I want the $17.98 less $5.00 offer ($12.98). If this doesn't work, then I guess you do not want my business. I hope you will resolve the problem. You have my info above.

Original review: March 15, 2012

I keep receiving bills we didn’t order. Please stop sending these bills.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2012

I agree with all the comments, it has also happened to me and is a work of evil people who are trying to make money at the expense of other people. It is ongoing and all complaints are good enough for the government to step up.

I agree, why should you/we pay for something we did not request/subscribe or agreed? It is all scam. Does the real Reader's Digest really know about this and why are they not doing anything? Also, providing my home phone number and my home address upsets me because this might lead to another problem which may cause too much pain for all individual concerned.

I wish they will stop and realize it is not a good thing to do. We have so much problem in our own life and this kind of scamming is absolutely not acceptable. To all people who posted on this site, please continue sending/posting your complaint because it helps small people like me. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2012

Unsolicited books, followed by a bill for $30.13. I wrote to them that I don't owe them anything. They acknowledged that letter but said I still owe the $30.13. I do not nor will I pay it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2012

I have been receiving magazines sent without any request by me, the abused customer. First, it was "OK" and now "Everyday with Rachel Ray." Why is this happening? I am not the only one when I go online. It is ubiquitous. Of course, I took my precious time to contact these people to no avail. Yes, OK stopped; but now the other. The post office should be forced to send these back without me paying postage, since they delivered them without my request. Let the perpetrators of fraud pay.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2012

I received a collection notice for a book Reader's Digest sent me three months ago, that I never ordered or wanted. The package was marked "free gift" and there was no paperwork inside. It contained a cheaply printed paperback full of bad short stories. I just received the collection notice for $30.13 and I tried calling to complain, but the phone is always busy. Tonight I have spent most of my evening submitting complaints to the FTC, the Better Business Bureau, ABC news, Diane Sawyer, GMA and there will be others.

Please do the same if you're reading this. They are taking advantage of people, many of whom cannot afford it. Please complain and help stop the greed and the robbery. This is fraudulent! By the way, if you try to post something on the RD Facebook page, they require a cell phone number or a credit card number. This is really fishy! It's the only Facebook page I've ever been to that doesn't allow you to post unless you give your card number!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2012

A box arrived saying "free gift" and had no other indication what it was. It was a crappy book of mediocre nonsense stories. The kind of crap people who watch the hallmark channel or soap operas would think was intelligent literature. I tossed it. There was no paperwork or info with it at all other than the "free" stamp on the box. Several weeks later, I got a bill for $30.93! In truth, the bill doesn't even state what its for. All it says is to "send payment" and enter some sweepstakes. I assume the bill is for that book but have no way to know. There is no contact information, no explanation of charges and no phone numbers or website listed. This is illegal. Furthermore, think of all the older people I'm sure they target with this who just pay things that they get bills for. The media needs to get involved. I am not paying it but do not know how to fix it.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2012

I am the granddaughter of an elderly woman who does not have the ability to take care of her own finances. I have been fighting with Reader's Digest for 10 months over my grandmother's account. I find it very odd that Reader's Digest can send a bill stating that her subscription is due: "Please pay $13.98 for your subscription." In fact, her subscription was not due; they just added another year on her subscription. This is how an 88-year-old woman has a 4-year subscription to Reader's Digest. My grandmother may not even be alive in 4 years to read their magazine.

I also have had a huge problem with their book club. We canceled my grandmother's book account, and she still receives books. I find it even odder that it takes 3 months for an account to be closed. I was told that she had to pay for any books that she would receive after I closed her account in October. I am tired of calling every month to dispute a charge to my grandmother's account. I even had to change her checking account, since they took out the funds automatically.

I believe that Reader's Digest knows my 88-year-old grandmother does not understand what is going on and sends her new subscription bills (when her subscription is good for the next 4 years) and sends her about 10 books a month (for $30.13 each) because they know she is confused and will pay it.

I am a Christian woman who believes that God will always win in the end, and companies like Reader's Digest will one day have to defend their actions to God. I will make sure to tell everyone I know not to buy or do any business with this horrible company.

Reader's Digest Company Information

www.rd.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.