The Standard Insurance Company

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been paying on a $500.000.00 Accidental Death and Dismemberment Policy for MANY years. I fell and damaged my left eye and lost usable eyesight in that eye (20/600 range). Because I 'can see two fingers stuck in front of my face', my second claim was denied. They "lost" my first claim even though I have a return receipt proving they received it. This organization has proven to me that they are beyond unfair, unprofessional and unhelpful.

Due to the VOLUMES OF NEGATIVE REVIEWS, I'd like to just throw this out there for anyone who might be interested. I'd like to propose that a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT be initiated on behalf of all of the dissatisfied claimants who have been bilked right out of their benefits which are rightfully owed them. If any attorney wants to take on this cause, thousands will be eternally grateful for your compassion and tenacity.

In the past, I personally viewed one of my claims adjusters profiles on FB. This is what she said, "I love my job, working for one of the greatest companies (something to that effect)!" This infuriated me as I took out a supplemental plan with this company through my employer in 2005 just as a backup IF I became unable to work. They had NO PROBLEM DRAWING MY PREMIUM MONTHLY WITHOUT FAIL! Once I became disabled due to Major surgery and complications after, STOPPED paying any benefits when they desired to do so. Very, ruthless, deceptive, unethical, bogus company that I ever encountered in my entire life.

After I lost the benefits that came with my job, I looked to Standard Insurance for health coverage. While they were initially helpful, they kept bundling life insurance from a company called Phoenix with my policy despite my protests (I was already covered through State Farm). They signed me up for Phoenix anyway, and I had to contact Phoenix a few times to receive a refund. This situation marred what had been a fairly easy process of finding cheap health insurance.

I went out on disability and was told that I would get 60% of my pay but that it may be a little less because of my retirement. All the paperwork was filled out with the county that I worked for and submitted, everything was ok for a little while but then they came back and said that they did not know that I was receiving retirement. My retirement is only a little over $300.00 a month. Then they came back and said that I owe them all this back pay and that I will not receive a check until it is all paid back. I ask if I could pay payments on it but was told that I cannot. What am I supposed to pay my bills with and get my medications with? Why do we even pay for insurance when they are not here for us when we need them? This is so wrong and from what I am reading about these people, I seriously doubt that I owe them anything!

I retired several years ago and the company for which I had worked ran my pension through this group. Despite the fact that my pension payment is due to me on the 12th of each month, The Standard generally mails it on the 25th of the month. Now excuse me if I'm wrong, but if my insurance payment is but a few days late I'm hit with a late charge. Yet, The Standard mails my payment 13 days late each and every month without penalty. How is that? When I called them they informed me that all pension checks were done in a mass mailing on that date (the 25th). The second time I called about this they hung up on me. The Standard is definitely BELOW STANDARD in my mind!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?

Definitely do not recommend. They do not offer any expertise, professionalism, assistance, guidance, or any help whatsoever if you file a claim. I have never had such horrible customer service, not to mention being lied to about the claim process. Yes, it is cheap. As they say, you get what you pay for. Thankful for the at-fault driver's insurance company. They have gone above and beyond. Even they can't believe the "service" from Standard. Standard insurance is way, way, way, below standard. Stay away from Standard!!

I was taken off work by my doctor for PTSD, major depression, anxiety and stress disorder. At first the standard approved the claim. When my off work was extended after losing my friends and coworkers in a terrorist attack, they said they needed more information and would contact my medical provider. They did not actually contact the doctor, as the doctor had no record of them doing so. When I called to find out what was going on, they said, oh, well we are faxing it now. Mind you this was 3 weeks they made me wait for "review." I had to coordinate the paperwork they needed for my claim. Over a month went by without a payment. around the end of December they finally paid a claim.

My doctor has continued to extend my off work and the process started all over again. Around 01/11/2016, (a month later) they paid one more part of the claim. Now they are saying they again need more paperwork to continue to extend and that they would contact dr. They did not contact him. I had to call and call and they finally fax the request and failed to include the HIPPA release form, which they had on file. After I call to find out what is going on, they resend the request with the release.

The doctor fills out what they want and now they are saying that although my doctor included more information, their internal reviewer who has never met me or talked to me and is designed to find a way to deny people's claims, overrides my actual doctor's assessment that I cannot return to my work as an officer at this time. They have failed to follow up timely with my doctor. They have failed to submit release forms to obtain the records they needed. They have failed to conduct their business in a moral manner. They have lied about requesting information from my doctor and are very unclear about what information they need so that they can randomly deny whatever claim they don't want to pay.

I recently had AUS surgery. Surgery was scheduled for early Oct 2015 follow-up in 6 weeks. At follow-up there was still considerable swelling and pain, so my physician suggested returning to work the week of 11-22-2015. The Standard insisted all paperwork be mailed to them and my employer HAD to be called in order return to work. The paperwork was returned by mail to them. Mysteriously they have no copy of that letter??? Not what I'm seeing in front of me. My steps:

BBB, BANKING AND INS, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL.

The Company denies receiving info even when there is proof. The company will always override the doctors disability medical reasons. My Claim was dropped after a few weeks of pay with no notice as I wait for a much needed check. Managers and adjustors requesting add info but not willing to pay for them so they decide not to pay. My send what is needed but there is still no check.

First of all, when The Standard came to our company, we were told there would be no fees for our 401k. Then when the quarterly statement came out, we were charged $12.32. We were not allowed to take our funds out as long as we were a Wingspan employee. So, they continued to take the $12.32 out, which I was barely even making that much in my return on investment. Wingspan has since went bankrupt and on top of all the money, they have taken out of my account in fees that were never supposed to be charged. They charged $75 just to cut me a check for my money that I withdrew. I just withdrew money from my JPMorgan Chase retirement account (for the record, a lot more than I withdrew from the Standard) and they didn't charge me a penny. This company has been crooked from the start and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I had a long term disability claim with The Standard. From the onset of signing the contract it is drilled into the client that it is the client's responsibility to update the company if the claim turns into a social security disability or PERS retirement disability claim, and update any new medical information. Good luck with that. Every call I made was greeted with literally, "What are you calling me for?" My analyst didn't bother to update my file when I called. She wanted me off of the phone. Instead of waiting the 4 days needed to get medical information from my doctor before sending it off for physician review, she just sent the claim in without it and jeopardized my claim. When I called her on it she said, "So what, you can always appeal."

For a person facing intracranial surgery and a year of recovery time, that is not an option. Every effort I made to contact her supervisor resulted in attempting to cover their asses legally instead of correcting the performance of the analyst. I had to threaten legal action to get a new analyst, so they are punishing me by delaying my claim. The manager of the disability department still refuses to take any responsibility for her employee's shoddy performance and nasty attitude with customers. I fully expect retribution with my claim because I pushed the issue. If that happens, I will contact an attorney.

After my wife Denise passed The Standard Insurance Co. had me jumping through hoops sending them documents and releasing documents with the promise to pay off the policy. They even left me voice mails saying "Be patient." Well that was all a lie. These companies should be ashamed of themselves for jerking people around while knowing full well they have no intention of paying on the policy if they can get out of it. The companies that buy cut-rate life insurance policies for their employees should be ashamed as well. Shame on all of you for what you do to decent people.

I had a torn rotator cuff and post traumatic stress due to an injury at work. It took a long time to get a proper diagnosis and surgery. I asked for supplemental income during the time post surgery. The Standard kept putting off payment. The first reason for denial was... I could have returned to work the day after rotator cuff surgery (It was my right arm). The next appeal was... I wasn't working 15 hours a week. I was not employed; therefore didn't qualify for supplemental payment. (I worked for the same employer for 35 years and used up my sick leave waiting for surgery. I received a partial paycheck until I decided to retire.) During that time The Standard was being taken out of my paycheck. This company is horrible. They take your money and screw with you when you're at the most vulnerable.

I was looking for a new insurance company for my family. Been with my previous ins. co 5 yrs. And rates were going to increase. After calling around they gave me a quote. But wanted a huge deposit. I did, apparently they claim they don't check records?? Which is bull!! (I don't buy that!!) You don't do business that way! After I started the policy. The women was extremely weird, she tells me I have to sign a waiver for any and all people that visit my home, my boys girlfriends and my friends etc. WTH?? I'VE NEVER HAD ANY INSURANCE COMPANY ASK ME THAT!! Or they will drop my coverage. I thought that was weird. Long story short. They cancelled my policy, 3 weeks later and would not refund at least half my deposit. BUT NO!!! They had these fees!! Very shady!! SUPER SHADY!!! Very leery. If something seems too good to be true it is!!! I would never recommend anyone there!!!

I've paid into disability insurance for many years. I've never needed it, thankfully, until recently. I had a sudden health scare. I was running fevers, coughing up blood, severe fatigue, and scans found lesions all over my body. I missed so much work due to my tests, doctor's visits, fatigue and fevers. The short-term went through right away. When the insurance had to convert to long-term is when the problems began.

I'm feeling better now and returning to work but am still fighting the payments due me to this point. Although I've been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder, backed up by labs and tests, I'm still being denied. I've filled out (and my docs) the same paperwork half a dozen times and 6 months later am still getting notices that say they're still deciding. 6 months without a paycheck. What was the purpose of paying into this all those years? They're trying to wear me down. This is unethical!

I would not recommend the Standard Ins. for any employer or individual because they bypass their policy provisions by conveniently using an internal decision making panel to deny covered claims. The policy that Standard Ins. Company has issued as provided by Bio-Rad Corporation for which I was employed, stated that it will supplement my income during my disability in such a manner that whatever percentage the state disability pays they will add to it so that I would receive a total 100% of my salary during my temporary disability period for up to six months. Standard Ins. accepted my disability status and supplemented my income for three months and after that they stopped payments without any notice. I provided letters from my doctors and I also provided them all the treatment records from the doctors' offices since my disability period started.

After three months into disability my doctors continued to report that I am disabled and not fit to go back to work, but I was refused any further payments from Standard Ins. as they only base their decision solely on their internal panel of decision makers no matter what my health status is claimed to be by my doctors.

I spoke several times with the agent that was assigned to my case and asked if they could provide a reason for the payment stoppage. Since they had accepted to pay me based on my doctors' reports and records for the first three months, and since my doctors continued to find me unfit to return back to work after the first three months of disability I asked the agent to provide the reason that changed their mind to stop payments for the next three months as their policy promised to do.

In a lengthy phone conversation the Standard Ins. agent did not provide any specific reason other than saying that their approval panel denied further payments. The conversation with the agent was extremely unpleasant as it was repeatedly full of sighs and unwillingness to help. Asked him to have his manager call me. His manager called and said that he cannot provide any further help on the matter as their panel had decided to deny further payments and that there is nothing he could do about it. When I asked him if I could speak with any of their deciding panel members he said that is not possible. Please do not patronize Standard Ins. as they are not reliable and will do their best not to pay for benefits they promise.

My father passed away in November 2014 and as of today, May.. we are still waiting for the insurance monies from Standard Life Insurance. My father had two cancer policies.. We had mailed all the information the insurance company asked for in two envelopes and had put the different policy numbers on the packet of information requested. They continue to get the two policies confused, saying they paid on both but actually only on one.. They sent the checks on my late father's name not the estate of and the banks won't cash them of course. We had to send the checks back to them along with a form the attorney had to fill out...

To this day, no replacement checks nor no checks for the remaining policy we had...VERY FRUSTRATING... When we call for an update the customer service representative says someone will call us back and still waiting for that also.

It would take pages and pages to describe the hell I went through. If you are offered LTD benefits paid by your University, decline, again Decline. Being I worked for a university hospital, I was shocked, to find out, this place which offers you this Bad Faith insurance company to its employees who are highly intelligent, have a LTD carrier with this Standard Insurance company and don't release that it will do everything under the sun to not pay a dime. I am currently looking for an attorney to deal with Bad faith LTD.

First, people think LTD kicks in when Short Term ends, that is the reason you have it so you do not become financial ruined. Forget it. Standard forces you to sign for SSD, then estimates your payments, and immediately subtracts it from their payment, I had a basic which was 70 percent of my salary. After my estimated SSD was subtracted, I was given just the minimum they had to pay 50 dollars a month. They said I would begin receiving the 750 from them, after I receive my first denial letter, in 1991, that took 9 months, to get. I used the equity in my home to replace my salary, then after having to deal with the hell back then of social Security Disability, I got my denial letter, and sent it to them.

Finally almost going bankrupt, I was told before they issued a check, I had to sign a document, saying I would have to pay every dime back if I won SSD. That it would be considered an overpayment, I never signed it and for whatever reason, they screwed up and sent me the money anyway without my agreeing to pay it back. Continuing to pressure me to speak and appeal 3 or 4 times and then facing a judge who immediately awarded me SSD, I notified them of my award. I received a letter requesting all payments made to me, be returned to them in full, exactly all of my back SSD, mind you they put me in a whole, suffering large late fees because of getting only 50, now they demand one lump sum. I asked them "are you saying you want my SSD award check all of it." On many times I asked, "No" they said "we want the money we gave you back."

If they said they wanted my SSD check, that would be against the Social Security Act, that would be in violation of it since no creditor can force you to give SSD back. After sending letters many of them, they said that they would stop sending me the 170, they had to give me a month, because surprise their estimate was too high. So I never received a penny for 11 years, until they got all their money back, I had to go to their Doctor for him to see if I was disabled, even though at that time I was SSD, their standards were harder to meet than SS was. I tried to tell personnel they needed to be truthful when they gave their benefit talks, things are worse for employees now.

The biggest deception was with Standard. You are able to cover more of your salary, basic was free but for can pick to pay an amount expression, pennies on the dollar for that increase. Turns out it can be a good amount, but they have no idea of this bad faith company, because SSD also increases. The more money you make, SSD increases also, more money you make. The more education you have the less likely you will collect anything. So they get to get more money from you and appears to me, it's wonderful for them, great money making way to get free money. In Nov 2014, I was told I was retired, and all Disability.

Get private LTD insurance not with them, since the university pays for the basic, if you have private it is tax deductible, and research the private one beforehand. The danger of thinking you are paid if your short term disability ends, gives you a false sense of security. Beware, tell your employer you do not want this so called free benefit, you must verify if this company your employer uses, most likely it's cheap for them, but expensive for you.

I don't know where to begin. While on fmla I ran out of leave. Reported to Standard about my leave. I received 1 check, told my case closed. I needed to get more, send in doctor info. Gone a month without any income. Losing my home, could not get to rehab appt. Lost some of my benefits. Couldn't pay them, begging for and borrowing money. Just a nightmare, as I lay here and vent, now I am in tears.

Signed a contract with Standard Insurance with full knowledge of my history, I disclosed all my information, my Social Security #, DOB, Address. Paid my initial payment fees of $296.00, only to find out that in less than 3 weeks, they canceled my insurance, and took all my money. I tried to get my money back, only to find a rude agent who did not care about clients and had a very bad attitude. Lost my down payment and lost my insurance, I call this a theft by check.

I am a school bus driver and started experiencing extreme lethargy, pain, and headaches. It finally became so consistent I had to stop working. I have been paying extra out of every check for 3 years just in case. After I got my Medical paperwork in, I was told I would receive a letter from Standard. Well I never received the letter. I called them to see what was going on and was told I was denied because I could still do my job. I then sent them a statement from my doctor stating it was unsafe for me to drive. They said that wasn't enough.

I have now changed doctors, turned in all new paperwork from her stating it’s unsafe for me to perform my job of driving a school bus until they get medications worked for fibromyalgia. Was told last week when I left message with reviewer that she would call back, she never did. Now today, they still denied me stating I could do my job. I'm told a manager will call me back. Haven't so far. Seems after reading everybody's that it's pretty much the same story. Wonder if there can be a class action lawsuit?

I was duped by the salesman into thinking this was health insurance. Not so, it's for accidents and sickness only. $300 a month for almost 2 years. I admit I'm naive. However, I was clearly taken advantage of. They shouldn't be allowed to practice this.

Oregon Educators Benefit Board (OEBB) members, look very, very carefully at the Standard Insurance contract before you pay premiums for long term disability insurance. You have a false sense of security with this company. Contract: You must be under the ongoing care of a physician in the appropriate specialty AS DETERMINED BY US during the benefit waiting period (usually 60 days). Except - no one will contact you during those 60 days to tell you who they consider "appropriate."

My claim was dismissed because they disagreed with my choice of physician and they refused to have a specialist review the claim. I have a complex endocrinology disease and they used a "Board Certified Internist" who couldn't even define the disease properly. My requests for a proper review were denied. In addition, look at the pre-existing disease clause. Obamacare didn't eliminate this for this form of insurance. If you have ever seen a doctor of any kind for your condition - or even self-treated for the condition - you will be denied long term disability. You have the right to purchase a policy separate from OEBB.

I would strongly, strongly urge you not to purchase long term disability from the Standard. Their job is to collect premiums and deny your claims. The poor customer service, disrespectful and demeaning benefits analyst, and the poor handling of my claim were shocking. Don't waste your hard-earned dollars on this company.

I had foot surgery Oct. 31, 2014 and my projected return to work date was Jan. 4, 2015. December of 2014, I started having problems with my big toe swelling and the doc sent me for an x-ray. My foot was not totally healed so the doc would not release me for work because of this and I couldn't drive because I was still wearing the boot after the surgery and it couldn't come off until the foot was healed completely. My next appointment was Jan 14, 2015. I informed the Standard and they sent out more paperwork which I took to my doctors as soon as I got it. I get a letter from the Standard that my claim was closed. I called them and they said my doctor didn't put a date on the form for my return to work. How could he put a date when he didn't know if my foot was going be healed at the next visit? I am now going for P.T. because the muscles in my foot are all messed up from wearing that boot for two and a half months.

I contacted my workplace H.R. dept. and they contacted the Standard. The Standard asked them for my job description but what good is that if I couldn't drive to begin with??? I WILL CONTACT THEM AGAIN.

After working ten years in a state job and paying premiums to The Standard for peace of mind, a safety net, a benefit just in case something was to go wrong. I have found out the hard way that has been the biggest joke of my life. The Standard Insurance Company is none of that. What they are is an unreal nightmare that continues happening. I did not have STD so I had to wait 180 days for my LTD benefits to start. Then twenty days before my first check I received a letter stating that they was reviewing my claim and it may delay my check up to 45 days. I called my "Benefits Specialist" to ask her what was going on. She could not give me a straight up answer. Anyway my check did come and then the letters started. Some of the letters made no sense and some required my signature. I called to tell them I was not signing the papers and they said it was in my former employees policy that I had to.

I told them I have the policy and I did not see anything like that. She said she would send me a copy of it, which I never received and they never received a signed paper from me. Nothing else was said about it. Despite my physical and now mental conditions, the letters and phone calls continued on a regular basis - it has always been something with them. They will not get it for customer service of the year award. I had one "Benefits Specialist" that had no answers for me, then I had that was a robot for Standard. I believe she had the answers she was suppose to say written down in front of her and now I have one that contradicts himself in the same phone call. Now he will not answer or return my phone calls.

They closed my case and said I was able to work eight days before the check was suppose to be deposited. Without being notified that they was reviewing my case, they closed it. So I requested a review and got all my doctors reports and got denied again. Now they have it before a "Administrative Review Unit" whatever that is. I have gotten him everything he has told me to get and Wednesday before Thanksgiving in a phone call he informed me that the updated work status that my PCP wrote would not be enough - that it would have been better coming from a specialist.

I have been sick since 13 August 2014. I vomited for 28 days straight, lost 25 pounds and now I have so much going wrong with me. I have no idea what has happened to me. I am in the process of going to new doctors. I am still vomiting just not every day now. I am being put on oxygen. I have been in the hospital. But none of that matters to Standard. I was told "Did I not understand that I was entitled to my benefits till 2028 and did I not understand that Standard would go bankrupt if they paid claims like mine." I am like "What". They have put us in a financially bad position that may involve us filing bankruptcy. Wonder if The Standard cares about us?

The answer to that is a big fat "No". So my advice is that if you have The Standard STD or LTD you have nothing. If you have filed a claim with The Standard get a lawyer, you will need him. I have left two messages with my "Standard Benefits Specialist" no call back yet. I have written on this website to let people know just how The Standard is. I have written a letter to my State Senator. I have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow. I plan to file a complaint with my State Attorney General. If you are thinking about buying the insurance with The Standard, please think again and look into your options.

The definition of Bad Faith is intentional dishonest act by not fulfilling legal or contractual obligations, misleading another, entering into agreement without the intention or means to fulfill it, or violating basic standards of honesty in dealing with others. Bad Faith is the best way I know how to describe The Standard. My 35 years as a Software Engineer and having to think logically is what has helped me to document the bad faith acts The Standard has done to me over the months that I think a lawyer will take my case. Allowing a company to make promises and then not carry thru on their promises, the company should not be allowed to stay in business. Their dishonesty is not just to me but others as well. Looks like DISHONESTY is their company policy.

I have Fibromyalgia 1990s. Since that time I've also developed chronic pain, peripheral neuropathy, depression, migraines, and memory loss. While some of these are associated with the Fibromyalgia, others aren't. I really loved my job but there were days I would go to work in so much pain I could barely perform my daily task whether it was writing new code, troubleshooting, answering the phone, attend meetings or just sitting at my desk. All this became unbearable that I finally could no longer get up and go to work. Today, there are most days I can't get out of bed and my husband does of everything now.

I purchased The Standard insurance thru work should I ever be out of work for an illness but now that I am out of work they do not want to pay. I was told by The Standard that I do not have short term disability but when I receive letters from them, it states they have denied my short term disability and then I call and they tell me they will have me an answer next week and when next week comes they don't have an answer or they call me on 10/7 and say, "I sent you a letter but I don't think you have had time to get it but you should have an answer by next week", and when you get the letter it is dated 9/26 and the letter is post marked 10/7 and you get it on 10/10. This is just an example of their lies that you get over and over and over again. Is this BAD FAITH or what? I NEED HELP. I am out of money.

One would think that with a name The Standard they would be highly recommended... They are not! I have had an ongoing relationship with this company since 12/2010. I originally left my line of work as an RN to have a simple surgery that turned complex. I did struggle to retain my STD with Standard due to minor things such as paperwork not being filled out the way they wanted, the doctor didn't date it correctly, whatever. When it switched to LTD is when the real headaches started. My life was already turned upside down with this unexpected turn of events. I also have three young children and a household to TRY to maintain.

Of course with all of this, if one doesn't already suffer from mental distress, they will. I already had major depression issues. The large demands of paperwork they give you is ridiculous!! The Standard will withhold your check without notice at any time. This happened to me multiple times. I took paperwork to the doctors but I don't have control if they don't all turn it in. But The Standard will keep that check and let your family starve! I don't know how anyone with a conscience can work there knowing what they are going to do to people.

My PHYSICIANS have declared me disabled but Standard seems to think I can still work. They quit paying me 14 months before I got my settlement from SSD but they came knocking before I even knew I had the money in my account. Now here is where I am very upset! There is a small loophole that they are taking EXTRA money from my children. I didn't receive any extra money from them (Standard) because I had children but yet because my children received some money in the settlement, they are requesting that money back. I think it would be less of a headache to just keep the extra money and cancel the policies at this point! Horrible experience!

I was in a car accident and got a severe concussion that took me months to recover from. Applying for State disability required help from my HR office because I couldn't do it myself. State disability wasn't going to get to me in time for me to pay rent, so HR told me to call Standard Insurance to see if they could help. Standard said they could send me a check right away. I told them all I needed was enough money to pay my rent ($1500). They said the check may involve an overpayment, so I may have to pay some of it back. My rep told me she'd let me know if there was an overpayment as soon as I sent her the state disability determination, which I faxed to her within the week. In the meantime, she sent me several different checks even after she got the EDD info.

I never heard back from her and she gave me NO idea what to expect. In the meantime, the state disability checks were also sent in several different payments. I had a tremendous amount of medical expenses and paperwork to keep up with and it was hard to keep track of it all for me because of my mental limitations. I had no one around to keep track of it for me. After several months on disability, I got a letter saying that I owed Standard $6,500+ based on an incorrect EDD rate. I called them to let them know that they made a mistake and that's when I found out that they'd make the correction but that I'd probably owe $5,500+.

When I got upset the woman was surprised saying she told me that there would probably be an overpayment. I told her that I understood that but that I had NO idea it would be that much!! I tried to explain to her that I was barely keeping up with my basic expenses. I tried to explain to her that her job as a customer service person was to keep me informed as she said she would. I'm back to work but I had to wait a whole month to get paid and trying to catch up financially with all the income that I lost from the injury while still paying medical bills. I also had to send Standard the last 2 checks from the state. I still owe $1500 of the $5,600 that I had to pay back and I'm struggling while trying to keep up with my medical bills. I will never pay money for that insurance again! It wasn't worth the headache for the few hundred $$ they gave me!! Why they consider this a "benefit" I will never understand.

I ended up hiring an attorney and yes these type of lawyers are not cheap, but this type of fight you just can't do on your own. Well it has been a long year fighting The Standard and a very depressing year of physical and financial problems. I just received a call from my attorney and he said they received the answer to my appeal and the letter says I am approved. Since this has been a nightmare fighting them, I guess I won’t believe it until I see the money. I also have heard The Standard is great for approving you then paying a little while and then cutting you off. I am very young so I hope I am not in battles with them for years on end but advice I can give anyone is hire a lawyer who specializes in this area. Good luck everyone and wish me luck for the future.

For 25 yrs, I've worked as a Firefighter/Paramedic. During this time, I have unfortunately experienced a number of physical injuries (neck degeneration, shoulder range of motion limitations, back herniation, hip labrum tear with advanced arthritis, knee degeneration ankle sprains, muscle strains, sprains and tears, hernia, etc). Finally in 2010, a cervical fusion and dissection of C3-C5 was performed to stabilize my neck from a approximately 6 year injury and side effects from the surgery, as well as other physical limitations while attempting to rehabilitate ended my career.

For the first time, it was necessary for me to put my fate in the hands of an insurance company (STANDARD) for some financial support. In my opinion, What a JOKE this company is. RUDE PEOPLE, OUTRAGEOUS REQUIREMENTS and DOWNRIGHT BAD FAITH should be the selling point for this company. DO YOUR research before purchasing what they are selling.

The Standard Insurance Company Company Profile