Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

The Standard Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

Sierra (Ciara) was the most helpful compassionate lady. As soon as I submitted my paperwork and my doctor faxed his, I was approved. The only problem is they don't do direct deposit. Mail only. The best!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I had dental insurance through The Standard for two years, through my employer. In that time, it regularly took them over six months to pay out claims to my dental provider. They also gave conflicting and often wrong information over the phone to both me and my provider. I continue to have an outstanding claim from July 2019. When I initially called about it...back in the fall of 2019, they told me that they were waiting for information from my provider. My provider has records of each call, including confirmation numbers and names of the associates they spoke with. At the same time, they were telling my dental provider that they needed information from me. They are now claiming that they won't pay out the claim because we didn't get them the information on time, but we did.

Also, the person who spoke to my provider today, as we are still trying to resolve the issue over a year later, told my provider that the process described previously by another associate was completely incorrect. I feel as though their MO is to take paid premiums and then refuse to pay out for covered services, while hoping that if they draw the process out or use enough obfuscation insured members will give up. I'm so glad that my provider has agreed to forgive this cost because they agreed this was not our fault. I'm also so glad that my employer dropped them as our insurance provider.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

The Standard Insurance Company lies to you and do whatever they can to keep from paying out on their claims. I got this insurance because I have medical issues that are progressively getting worse. I have to be out of work for long periods of times. I have been paying for this insurance for 5 years. I am out of work and I filed a claim. Many of the representatives are rude. They talk down to you. They continuously asked for additional information. They act as if they don't receive the documentation. This is a ploy to keep from paying out on their claims. As if covid-19 is not bad enough. I am in a very bad situation because I don't have any money coming in at all. I can't get unemployment. I really don't know what I'm going to do. The Standard Insurance company is terrible. I wish that I what have read the reviews before I purchased this insurance 5 years ago.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I made a disability claim over two years ago with the Standard due to a pain, debilitating, stage 4 cancer diagnosis. In the very beginning I did not have problems contacting the company and I did not have problems with paperwork. Several months later, the company reduced my claim (due to a miscalculation of my income on their part regarding my disability income). From that point on it became very challenging to get a response from them. My agent, Chad, did not respond to voicemails, did not answer my calls, and did not respond to my emails until after multiple calls, emails, and voicemails over several weeks. After a phone call demanding to speak with a supervisor (which went straight to voicemail like everything else) where I threatens to contact an ombudsman and the insurance commissioner, lo and behold, I received a phone call from the supervisor. It took a couple more months for the situation to be cleared up.

As it turns out, documents related to my request, which were supposed to be sent to one particular office, landed on my case manager's desk and got filed away sitting there for several weeks until I demanded to know what happened to them. Their response was, "Whoops! We have no idea how that happened but we'll see that it doesn't happen again." (I am paraphrasing here.) This same scenario happened several more times over various issues. The last one, and the most disconcerting situation is where they have lost or misplaced my personal private medical information from my physician!!!

Due to my disability, periodically I have to have my disability review through my physician. March 2020, BEFORE the pandemic, The Standard requested a patient release of medical information statement, and a physician statement. I mailed mine, my physician faxed theirs. The Standard claimed to have received neither of them.

Please keep in mind, I am extremely fatigued, I am on a very powerful chemotherapy treatment, and I am very, very, sick. I received a warning letter through the mail that they have not received either of these and I needed to resend them. The day my physician and I both resent the paperwork, I called the standard and refused to leave the phone till I knew they had received the faxes. Apparently, by that time they had two physician statement and two Patient release forms! Their only explanation was that things have been floating around I guess.

Fast forward to July 2020. I receive a request for yet ANOTHER set of patient release forms and physician statements. I assumed they were being required every few months and I and my physician sent them off posthaste, as they were before, one was faxed and one was mailed. The Standard does not have them. A month later I receive a request for another set of documents! The reason I gave this review to stars is because this time when I called The Standard, they actually answered the phone, and the agent was very helpful. And this is the only reason I gave them two stars. The agent's name was Dietrich and he was very kind. As it turns out, this set of physician and patient statements are not related to a new review.

I have no idea what they did with the documents they received for the second time in March, (the documents that I called directly, on the day I back to them, to verify that they have been received-which they said they had), but they have gone missing, for the third time in a row. And, sick as I am, I am having to send these documents for a fourth time. This means my doctor has to fill them out for the 4th time.

The most concerning bit about all of this is, WHERE IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION? I am mostly concerned with where my private medical information has gone. HIPAA act says that this information needs to be secured. There is no way to know if it's in a secure place because they cannot locate these documents. They have lost them for the third time in a row. I find it extremely irresponsible for a company that deals with finances and medical documents to lose private, personal, confidential patient documents repeatedly and not be able to locate these documents. They really should be audited. I don't know what they're doing with other patients' information but I know what they did with mine. They lost it, they misplaced it, they want to blame the pandemic, they want to blame whoever, wherever, and whenever but they don't want to take responsibility for it.

I have no idea if they will get my position statement and keep it. If the pattern continues, in spite of the fact that Dietrich had me photocopy my patient release form and email it, and he confirms that he received it, I suspect in a month's time I will receive yet another request stating they have not yet received my personal release form and how concerned they are that they have not received this medical statement, and that, my plan requires that I provide evidence to support my disability and etc. etc.

In summary, pandemic or otherwise, The Standard, in my personal experience, is an extremely, disorganized company, with several irresponsible, probably overworked employees. It's my perception that the system is set up so that no employee has to take responsibility for any actions. Just about every single call goes to voicemail, and every email goes to a group of people, so no one person can be said to be responsible for messing up. There needs to be a serious review of how things are being handled, both documents, and customer relations. While I'm grateful for having disability insurance, which I paid for so they are not a charity, trying to deal with this company has had a bit of an impact on my health. I sincerely hope someone from the company is able to read this review, takes it to heart, and make some changes. If everybody was like Dietrich, I would not have had this problem in the first place.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I have a rare brain disorder Chiari Malformation. They canceled my LTD based on the opinion of Dr David ** who treats pts with my symptoms but willingly denies claims for extra money. Richard ** and Katie ** said I'm able to work even though they've never treated a patient in their lives. They collect premiums and deny claims. The CEO Greg Ness makes millions off premiums and gets to close claims. I have to go to court now to collect disability I paid for. RUN FAR AWAY!!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

The Standard Insurance Company is the WORST insurance company I have ever dealt with. That is saying a lot, since I dislike and distrust insurance companies anyway. A simple short term disability claim, for ONE week of time off work, that qualified me for ONE weeks compensation, took NINE weeks for them to get it right and pay the benefits.

First they paid me for time I did not ask for. They kept sending checks even AFTER I called them and informed them of THEIR error. They even sent me another persons claim forms and denial letter! Then, when it was time for them to pay me for time I was entitled to, they did not have me in their system anymore. All paperwork and doctors notes had to be sent again, not once, but two more times. My HR department worked on my behalf as much as they could, but finally concluded as I did. The people at The Standard Insurance Company do not have clue what they are doing. Stay away from this group of idiots. This company should be out of business!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

This company is awful. I have had to call every week regarding something that was either incorrect, not completed or overlooked. None of the reps speak very good English which it makes it hard to understand them and they have an even harder time understanding me. I often have to repeat & re-explain things. I had to call them to re-certify my leave of absence. I had 3 checks that were sent to the wrong address even after correcting my address although all other correspondences sent from them had the correct address. I was told that someone would call me back after my disability claim was not updated after the physician's statement was submitted over 2 weeks prior and nobody ever called.

I had to them call back myself & demand to talk to someone regarding my issue because the rep was trying to pass off my issue. I am still waiting on 3 weekly checks, the first sent out on Nov. 7 and it is now 11/22. Had to call them again to re-issue my checks which will take even longer. I had surgery on 10/9 and I have experienced more issues with them than from my surgery. They have been more of a pain than the pain I have experienced post-op! They are the absolutely worst.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Definitely not intended for the customer. Forcing the customer to suffer through additional stress - not even necessary. If a licensed doctor/physician provides even "basic" information - it is questioned. Why even bother. Hope I never have to go through this experience again especially with this company. All about "big business".

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Bryan ** does not do his job. I had to keep calling to get my check sent out and all he did was laugh like it’s a joke. Worst company ever. Then to top it off I ask to speak to his supervisor which he claim is Carrie that never got on the phone. I will most definitely be canceling this service through my job. Not even worth the headache.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

The Standard Insurance Company is beyond fraudulent. I signed up for the STD plan because it was the only option that my employer offered (which should say enough about my employer, as well). After paying into the program for years, I seriously injured my back and was unable to return to work. I was able to draw 3/4 of my pay for 4 weeks only to have The Standard close my case, with no notification, no further contact and having nothing medically, stating that my condition has changed, nor improved. Therefore; violating their agreement to pay 3/4 of my pay for a total of 6 months.

I have multiple medical professionals willing to submit documents proving that I no longer have the ability to work, none the less, after closing my claim, without contacting me, The Standard has subcontracted the review of my claim to a 3rd party. It's extremely unfortunate that there are no government agencies that have the motivation or means to hold companies like this accountable. And good luck going after a company this big on your own, just read the reviews and feedback concerning The Standard! So far 87 of 88 reviews are 1 star! And if you read the reviews, that's only that high, because less than 1 star isn't an option. The Standard and everyone involved can GFT!

The Standard Insurance Company Company Information