1.1/5 (105 ratings)

About The Standard Insurance Company

The Standard Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I had to have surgery to to a chronic injury and had paid into short term disability with this company through my employer, @ the beginning I seemed to have high hopes that everything would work like it should being as though with the contract they have with my employer you have to wait 31 days before you even get paid which was fine, I had PTO to use, they sent 2 check in and then everything stopped. I have received nothing since they “claim” the faxes aren’t coming the day my doctor sends them which is untrue. You have to wait 5 days for them to review it then another 7-10 days for the check to me mailed and not direct deposit, this has been a horrible experience for me being a mother with 2 children!

Original review: July 26, 2021

When you pay for short-term disability that's for if you get sick or you have an illness or an accident. They make it so hard and so complicated and wants so much paperwork. How is the person expected to get all of this paperwork when they've been in an accident or they're in the hospital and they have no family members that can do the running around. They make you jump through hoops and bounds for pennies if you can even get it. I would never go with this company again and I hope my company dumps them along with a lot of other places that have them. The worst experience I've ever had especially when you're sick.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2021

When my son was born, I applied for life insurance through my employer with Standard Insurance company. They took six months to make a decision, never communicated at all during the process. Trying to even get information about where to send the application was like pulling teeth. No confirmation they received anything, ever. In the end they denied the coverage for a very minor non-life threatening condition. My doctor isn't even concerned about it. I then applied for a policy with one of their competitors through my wife's employer. Completely different experience. Easy process, and approved in 3 days! I will never waste my time with Standard Insurance again, and have shared my experience with my employer who will hopefully find a better insurance company to deal with.

Original review: April 14, 2021

Why is 0 stars never an option. I am beyond disappointed and feel taken advantage of with this company. Every time I call and actually speak to someone I'm lied to. The claims rep assigned to me cannot seem to return my calls and neither can her manager. My money seems to be sent later and later every month. This means a world of headaches for me. No one seems to know what's going on and I'm stuck with late fees and overdraft fees, etc. Companies don't want to hear a sob story, they just want their money and so do I.

If you have another choice then choose another company. Here I am expecting direct deposit on the 6th, it's the 14th and still nothing. Not even a paper check. Don't piss on me and call it rain. Just do your job. At this point I really don't know what to do. Companies are sharks and they need to be held accountable to the consumers not their shareholders. It seems like they literally get away with anything and everything. They truly don't care because there's no sort of immediate repercussions for their actions. Goals need to be shifted and work loads need to be lessened in order to do a job fully and accurately. All of this may fall on deaf ears because everyone knows best but can't seem to get it right.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Almost impossible to find an in network provider. Most dentists will accept, but items "covered" are well below what the dentist charges. Even when we have found "in-network" dentists, they have withdrawn from network.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I had very few issues with my STD claim with the company but have had nothing but problems with the LTD side of things with lack of care, concern, compassion, and urgency from the representatives handling these accounts. They put and depend the majority of the work to be done by the progressively disabled claimants to do the majority of the work for them. They do not care to help escalate requests when they have a disabled claimant but being able to feed themselves or children along with no longer being able to afford to even cover necessary medications.

When pointed out that if claimant gets worse or dies due to not being able to afford medications thanks to their lack of urgency, they will send police to bang on your door to do a welfare check on you. When explaining that you can't pay for food or medications because The Standard is sitting on their butts waiting for claimant to do all the work, police agree that their care is atrocious and they are getting more and more complains.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

This Standard retirement service they are a bunch of crooks. I was employed with the Beautiful Legacy with a 403Roth with this modern day con artist company. I borrowed against my plan. The money was taken out of my plan when I wanted. I left the Company and contacted the standard. I had 1470.01 as of December 28, 2020. I was told as of January i had 999 something. WHAT HAPPENED?? Then I was told I have no money left. I had to pay back the money I borrowed. Well I borrowed money from myself so what happened to my money and please how do I owe you money. I never borrowed from you.

The girl couldn't and wouldn't tell me if I borrowed money from my Roth having over 2,400 and I borrowed 1,000 & my Roth went down 1,000 doesn't that mean it came from my account as explained by HR??? She never addressed the issue kept saying, "Do you remember borrowing 1,000." Um yes from my account. Do you remember me having it deducted from my account??? What a bunch of thieves. Omg a class action lawsuit against the standard needs to happen after they are given a investigative audit!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I had dental insurance through The Standard for two years, through my employer. In that time, it regularly took them over six months to pay out claims to my dental provider. They also gave conflicting and often wrong information over the phone to both me and my provider. I continue to have an outstanding claim from July 2019. When I initially called about it...back in the fall of 2019, they told me that they were waiting for information from my provider. My provider has records of each call, including confirmation numbers and names of the associates they spoke with. At the same time, they were telling my dental provider that they needed information from me. They are now claiming that they won't pay out the claim because we didn't get them the information on time, but we did.

Also, the person who spoke to my provider today, as we are still trying to resolve the issue over a year later, told my provider that the process described previously by another associate was completely incorrect. I feel as though their MO is to take paid premiums and then refuse to pay out for covered services, while hoping that if they draw the process out or use enough obfuscation insured members will give up. I'm so glad that my provider has agreed to forgive this cost because they agreed this was not our fault. I'm also so glad that my employer dropped them as our insurance provider.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

The Standard Insurance Company lies to you and do whatever they can to keep from paying out on their claims. I got this insurance because I have medical issues that are progressively getting worse. I have to be out of work for long periods of times. I have been paying for this insurance for 5 years. I am out of work and I filed a claim. Many of the representatives are rude. They talk down to you. They continuously asked for additional information. They act as if they don't receive the documentation. This is a ploy to keep from paying out on their claims. As if covid-19 is not bad enough. I am in a very bad situation because I don't have any money coming in at all. I can't get unemployment. I really don't know what I'm going to do. The Standard Insurance company is terrible. I wish that I what have read the reviews before I purchased this insurance 5 years ago.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I made a disability claim over two years ago with the Standard due to a pain, debilitating, stage 4 cancer diagnosis. In the very beginning I did not have problems contacting the company and I did not have problems with paperwork. Several months later, the company reduced my claim (due to a miscalculation of my income on their part regarding my disability income). From that point on it became very challenging to get a response from them. My agent, Chad, did not respond to voicemails, did not answer my calls, and did not respond to my emails until after multiple calls, emails, and voicemails over several weeks. After a phone call demanding to speak with a supervisor (which went straight to voicemail like everything else) where I threatens to contact an ombudsman and the insurance commissioner, lo and behold, I received a phone call from the supervisor. It took a couple more months for the situation to be cleared up.

As it turns out, documents related to my request, which were supposed to be sent to one particular office, landed on my case manager's desk and got filed away sitting there for several weeks until I demanded to know what happened to them. Their response was, "Whoops! We have no idea how that happened but we'll see that it doesn't happen again." (I am paraphrasing here.) This same scenario happened several more times over various issues. The last one, and the most disconcerting situation is where they have lost or misplaced my personal private medical information from my physician!!!

Due to my disability, periodically I have to have my disability review through my physician. March 2020, BEFORE the pandemic, The Standard requested a patient release of medical information statement, and a physician statement. I mailed mine, my physician faxed theirs. The Standard claimed to have received neither of them.

Please keep in mind, I am extremely fatigued, I am on a very powerful chemotherapy treatment, and I am very, very, sick. I received a warning letter through the mail that they have not received either of these and I needed to resend them. The day my physician and I both resent the paperwork, I called the standard and refused to leave the phone till I knew they had received the faxes. Apparently, by that time they had two physician statement and two Patient release forms! Their only explanation was that things have been floating around I guess.

Fast forward to July 2020. I receive a request for yet ANOTHER set of patient release forms and physician statements. I assumed they were being required every few months and I and my physician sent them off posthaste, as they were before, one was faxed and one was mailed. The Standard does not have them. A month later I receive a request for another set of documents! The reason I gave this review to stars is because this time when I called The Standard, they actually answered the phone, and the agent was very helpful. And this is the only reason I gave them two stars. The agent's name was Dietrich and he was very kind. As it turns out, this set of physician and patient statements are not related to a new review.

I have no idea what they did with the documents they received for the second time in March, (the documents that I called directly, on the day I back to them, to verify that they have been received-which they said they had), but they have gone missing, for the third time in a row. And, sick as I am, I am having to send these documents for a fourth time. This means my doctor has to fill them out for the 4th time.

The most concerning bit about all of this is, WHERE IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION? I am mostly concerned with where my private medical information has gone. HIPAA act says that this information needs to be secured. There is no way to know if it's in a secure place because they cannot locate these documents. They have lost them for the third time in a row. I find it extremely irresponsible for a company that deals with finances and medical documents to lose private, personal, confidential patient documents repeatedly and not be able to locate these documents. They really should be audited. I don't know what they're doing with other patients' information but I know what they did with mine. They lost it, they misplaced it, they want to blame the pandemic, they want to blame whoever, wherever, and whenever but they don't want to take responsibility for it.

I have no idea if they will get my position statement and keep it. If the pattern continues, in spite of the fact that Dietrich had me photocopy my patient release form and email it, and he confirms that he received it, I suspect in a month's time I will receive yet another request stating they have not yet received my personal release form and how concerned they are that they have not received this medical statement, and that, my plan requires that I provide evidence to support my disability and etc. etc.

In summary, pandemic or otherwise, The Standard, in my personal experience, is an extremely, disorganized company, with several irresponsible, probably overworked employees. It's my perception that the system is set up so that no employee has to take responsibility for any actions. Just about every single call goes to voicemail, and every email goes to a group of people, so no one person can be said to be responsible for messing up. There needs to be a serious review of how things are being handled, both documents, and customer relations. While I'm grateful for having disability insurance, which I paid for so they are not a charity, trying to deal with this company has had a bit of an impact on my health. I sincerely hope someone from the company is able to read this review, takes it to heart, and make some changes. If everybody was like Dietrich, I would not have had this problem in the first place.

The Standard Insurance Company Company Information