The Standard Insurance Company

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had hail damage to the roof of our home and when I received the estimate the company depreciated our roof as they said we have an ACV policy and need an RCV policy to receive the replacement cost. None of this is mentioned when you sign up. However when you need it you get "you need to add coverage." Next none of the damages to the interior of the house are covered as they say this is all due to a poorly built roof that has a valley above the garage. 3 of the rooms with additional damage are upstairs above the "valley". I was then told it was condensation that caused the issue. I told the adjuster that the towel I placed on the window ledge was ringing wet after the last rain and the carpet below was wet as well. He said I should get additional coverage after I called his bluff twice. Very dissatisfied.

Prior to having surgery, all of my disability forms were completed and sent to The Standard. On Page 1, it states that they are required by law to withhold 28% of my benefits, unless a W-4 form is submitted. I submitted my W-4 with all of my other forms and had my surgery. Checks began coming, then stopped and I was not given any notice. I called to ask why and was told that they needed the doctor to fill out forms. 3-4 weeks later I began getting paid again. After 3 months, my checks were significantly less. I called again and I was told that they forgot to withhold my federal income taxes. No one gave me any answers as to why and I was told that they made a mistake.

I now owe over $5k in taxes to the IRS and when I called to rectify the issue, no one can give me an answer. I asked to speak with a supervisor... 2 days later, he's still on the other line. I continue to leave messages and no one calls me back. From the stopped payments, to the tax issues, to the unbelievably bad customer service, this company is an absolute nightmare to be covered by. Hope you never need these guys.

I have been disable since 5/16 and I applied for disability through The Standard. My employee has a group policy and I purchased additional coverage. Have been paying for 20 years or more... At first after a few minor setback with "I am waiting for info from your employer." for example GROUP POLICY NUMBER... Like they did not already have it. So I made a call and put them on a 3 way. Ok so I thought I can focus on getting better... No every time I looked up they needed more info. No one could give you any info, one representative told me perhaps I should not continue to go to the doctor due to my claim was not approved. THE BIGGEST NIGHTMARE IS LONG TERM DISABILITY.

The analyst have been reviewing my paperwork since 12/28/16. I faxed and called several times for her to tell me laughing in my face I must add, she not sure and a outside person need to look at my claim. This person called my doctor's office stated that the info and x-rays were not readable. I took a copy to my doctor, he called and called no answer, I explained that my medical coverage depends on her approval... I just received a letter on 2/18/17 (a day before my birthday. What a present), that I needed to request a formal review in writing after about 60 days of just holding it.. p.s. you only have 180 days. Which I was lead to believed that all my physician had to do was to complete the Attending Physician Form that was enclosed.

Now my employer is sending me bills that I have to pay almost $400 for coverage to continue my PT... Wow. I also have HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE and anxiety disorder which I also was being treated for. My question how can I pay for the coverage when they won't pay my claim and had they approved my claim I would be covered? Sincerely totally stressed out and in a lot of pain.

Warning!! I listen to KLTY on my car radio, about 4 years ago I heard a commercial that advertised Standard Insurance agency... Have people on there testifying how much money they save on their auto and home insurance. So since the office was located near my home I took my current policy that I had with Farmers into the location and ask for a quote on the insurance that I currently had... And lo and behold they came back with a quote my auto and home that saved me several hundred dollars a year. Thought I was getting a good deal until I had to make a claim...

I had water pipes under my house break. I have insurance through American Home Shield to fix my water pipes. But when I went to make a claim for the water damage to my floors Standard Insurance does not cover damage from broken water pipes or almost anything else. After researching about other complaints I find that lots of other people have problems with claims. When I called the company they said I had a policy that was called HOA. Basically that's a policy for Condominiums not for the normal homeowner. When I asked Standard Insurance they said that's the only policy they offer in Texas. Lesson learned you get what you pay for... Now I'm stuck paying for these floors that I thought I was paying for insurance to cover stuff like that. Just wanted to warn you just because you hear it on a Christian radio station doesn't mean that the company has Christian morals. Don't want anyone else to find out the hard way like I did.

I don't understand why people worried about government spending. Don't put a lid on what some insurance companies are doing, like The Standard. Basically anyone seriously sick and in pain doesn't have time to peruse lawsuits. The Standard hires a company like Allsup to constantly nag its policy holder for information to get the policy holder transferred to Social Security Disability.

The company that you were employed with is complacent in this as it brings down their rates. Then The Standard sends you paperwork so that any money coming to you OR your children (even though they told me my children's money wouldn't be effected) must be turned over to them. IN ESSENCE: You pay your premium and The Standard never has to pay a cent. It really needs to be stopped. When you work for a large company, they don't provide you with a copy of your policy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?

Had a couple of Issue and asked to have automatically withdrawal out of my account for payment. Was unaware I had no insurance until the bank notified me. Went back to make sure this time I had paperwork drawn up to have payment withdrawn out of my account again. 9 months went by I let my son borrow my car and he happened to get a ticket. The ticket he had got was for no insurance and I was unaware I had no insurance again.

I called the company. I got ahold of corporate. They told me they would get back to me and check on the situation. I got a call back in regards to the situation a hold and she told me it was corporate's mistake and if I had the $900 for the back pay that they would go ahead and continue my insurance. I told her I did not have the $900. She told me that if I had payment each month for the last 9 months that I should be able to pay the $900 back. I told her it was corporate mistake that I did not have 900 in my bank. I then told her that it was two weeks before Christmas and that if she wanted the money that bad I would take back all of my grandkids Christmas presents and take a picture of the empty tree so they can have their $900 that they messed up on.

She then told me that she would call me back and get a hold of corporate because I did inform her that I would put it on Facebook and the internet anything I had to do to let him know that my grandkids how their Christmas was this year and told her that I would put it on Facebook of everything she then told me that she would call me back and get a hold of corporate. She call me a of couple days later and tell me that they were going to Forfeit the 900 and start a new contract 3 days later.

My son went to court a month later in regards to the situation. He ended up getting a fine for $200 for no insurance. What a surprise they did not back the three days. They started a new contract three days later so when he went to court there was no insurance. Surprise. I then called the company back in regards to the situation. She informed me that she had brought it to my attention. I told her "yes you did" but whether it was going to be benefited to him or to me you still messed up strike three because of the ticket was in my name. I still had no proof of insurance because it wasn't dated back 3 days prior to when the ticket was issued so that's strike three that they still did not do their job.

In May of 2016 my doctor took me off work and I filed a claim for short term through my job. On June 20th 2016 I was approved for short term disability through the company that I had been paying through my job. I had constant stopping and delaying of payments due to needing records every month even though my doctor stated and I explained wouldn't even review me to be able to go back to work until Feb of 2017. Still they stopped and delayed my payments for weeks to request and receive the same records over and over again.

In the middle of September information started to be requested to transition from short term to long term as my short term was scheduled to end October 31st 2016. On October 4th 2016 I received a letter stating all necessary info has been received and can now begin the review of my long term claim. I called and was confirmed "yes everything was received". October 10th I received a letter stating "we cannot make a final decision on your claim until we get addition info". I sent all forms asked of me, and was told I need to be excluded from any pre-existing conditions between the time of January 02, 2016 through March 31, 2016 to be approved. After here the case turned for the worse. I would call weekly to check in on the status but was told I could talk to only my analyst. She never answered and not only that she never returned my calls.

On Oct 31st I received a letter stating In order to complete my investigation, I must analyze all pertinent medical, vocational, and financial info and additional info that is needed has been requested. Since then I have received forms needed 3 1/2 weeks after the date of the letter, and only after calling multiple times and leaving messages of what is the hold up. And the response of "hmmm not sure what happened there. It was suppose to be with you last check, it was just resent recently." No returned phone calls. And an explanation by both a letter, analyst, and a supervisor, in December that only one more record is needed to finalize my claim. The office takes up to 30 days to process record requests so I could understand a partial delay. But when I called the office and explained that The Standard told me they sent the request over 5 weeks ago, the office informed me that they had just receive the request 1 week prior to me calling.

The Standard company lied! The records were sent to The Standard on Jan 4th of 2017. Mind you this case started in September of 2016. And 2 days later I received a call from the company Release point that the standard works with and was informed. I need to resign a release for the medical office because The Standard accidentally requested records from the wrong date, as well as they need records from my pharmacy. How can they do this? This is clearly being done to purposely stall my claim. They knew who my pharmacy was for months and those records should have been requested, and how do you request the wrong date of records. It was suppose to be January 2016 through April 2016. They requested October 2016. And now they are requesting records from January 2015 to current.

I informed them I did not start seeing the doctor until May 2016 so they are requesting non-existing records and no possibility for preexisting condition. And this can be confirmed by the doctor's office via phone call as I signed a release form. It is January 12th 2017. And nothing is being done. Worst company filled with lies!!!

I have been paying on a $500.000.00 Accidental Death and Dismemberment Policy for MANY years. I fell and damaged my left eye and lost usable eyesight in that eye (20/600 range). Because I 'can see two fingers stuck in front of my face', my second claim was denied. They "lost" my first claim even though I have a return receipt proving they received it. This organization has proven to me that they are beyond unfair, unprofessional and unhelpful.

Due to the VOLUMES OF NEGATIVE REVIEWS, I'd like to just throw this out there for anyone who might be interested. I'd like to propose that a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT be initiated on behalf of all of the dissatisfied claimants who have been bilked right out of their benefits which are rightfully owed them. If any attorney wants to take on this cause, thousands will be eternally grateful for your compassion and tenacity.

In the past, I personally viewed one of my claims adjusters profiles on FB. This is what she said, "I love my job, working for one of the greatest companies (something to that effect)!" This infuriated me as I took out a supplemental plan with this company through my employer in 2005 just as a backup IF I became unable to work. They had NO PROBLEM DRAWING MY PREMIUM MONTHLY WITHOUT FAIL! Once I became disabled due to Major surgery and complications after, STOPPED paying any benefits when they desired to do so. Very, ruthless, deceptive, unethical, bogus company that I ever encountered in my entire life.

After I lost the benefits that came with my job, I looked to Standard Insurance for health coverage. While they were initially helpful, they kept bundling life insurance from a company called Phoenix with my policy despite my protests (I was already covered through State Farm). They signed me up for Phoenix anyway, and I had to contact Phoenix a few times to receive a refund. This situation marred what had been a fairly easy process of finding cheap health insurance.

I went out on disability and was told that I would get 60% of my pay but that it may be a little less because of my retirement. All the paperwork was filled out with the county that I worked for and submitted, everything was ok for a little while but then they came back and said that they did not know that I was receiving retirement. My retirement is only a little over $300.00 a month. Then they came back and said that I owe them all this back pay and that I will not receive a check until it is all paid back. I ask if I could pay payments on it but was told that I cannot. What am I supposed to pay my bills with and get my medications with? Why do we even pay for insurance when they are not here for us when we need them? This is so wrong and from what I am reading about these people, I seriously doubt that I owe them anything!

I retired several years ago and the company for which I had worked ran my pension through this group. Despite the fact that my pension payment is due to me on the 12th of each month, The Standard generally mails it on the 25th of the month. Now excuse me if I'm wrong, but if my insurance payment is but a few days late I'm hit with a late charge. Yet, The Standard mails my payment 13 days late each and every month without penalty. How is that? When I called them they informed me that all pension checks were done in a mass mailing on that date (the 25th). The second time I called about this they hung up on me. The Standard is definitely BELOW STANDARD in my mind!!

Definitely do not recommend. They do not offer any expertise, professionalism, assistance, guidance, or any help whatsoever if you file a claim. I have never had such horrible customer service, not to mention being lied to about the claim process. Yes, it is cheap. As they say, you get what you pay for. Thankful for the at-fault driver's insurance company. They have gone above and beyond. Even they can't believe the "service" from Standard. Standard insurance is way, way, way, below standard. Stay away from Standard!!

I was taken off work by my doctor for PTSD, major depression, anxiety and stress disorder. At first the standard approved the claim. When my off work was extended after losing my friends and coworkers in a terrorist attack, they said they needed more information and would contact my medical provider. They did not actually contact the doctor, as the doctor had no record of them doing so. When I called to find out what was going on, they said, oh, well we are faxing it now. Mind you this was 3 weeks they made me wait for "review." I had to coordinate the paperwork they needed for my claim. Over a month went by without a payment. around the end of December they finally paid a claim.

My doctor has continued to extend my off work and the process started all over again. Around 01/11/2016, (a month later) they paid one more part of the claim. Now they are saying they again need more paperwork to continue to extend and that they would contact dr. They did not contact him. I had to call and call and they finally fax the request and failed to include the HIPPA release form, which they had on file. After I call to find out what is going on, they resend the request with the release.

The doctor fills out what they want and now they are saying that although my doctor included more information, their internal reviewer who has never met me or talked to me and is designed to find a way to deny people's claims, overrides my actual doctor's assessment that I cannot return to my work as an officer at this time. They have failed to follow up timely with my doctor. They have failed to submit release forms to obtain the records they needed. They have failed to conduct their business in a moral manner. They have lied about requesting information from my doctor and are very unclear about what information they need so that they can randomly deny whatever claim they don't want to pay.

I recently had AUS surgery. Surgery was scheduled for early Oct 2015 follow-up in 6 weeks. At follow-up there was still considerable swelling and pain, so my physician suggested returning to work the week of 11-22-2015. The Standard insisted all paperwork be mailed to them and my employer HAD to be called in order return to work. The paperwork was returned by mail to them. Mysteriously they have no copy of that letter??? Not what I'm seeing in front of me. My steps:

BBB, BANKING AND INS, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL.

The Company denies receiving info even when there is proof. The company will always override the doctors disability medical reasons. My Claim was dropped after a few weeks of pay with no notice as I wait for a much needed check. Managers and adjustors requesting add info but not willing to pay for them so they decide not to pay. My send what is needed but there is still no check.

First of all, when The Standard came to our company, we were told there would be no fees for our 401k. Then when the quarterly statement came out, we were charged $12.32. We were not allowed to take our funds out as long as we were a Wingspan employee. So, they continued to take the $12.32 out, which I was barely even making that much in my return on investment. Wingspan has since went bankrupt and on top of all the money, they have taken out of my account in fees that were never supposed to be charged. They charged $75 just to cut me a check for my money that I withdrew. I just withdrew money from my JPMorgan Chase retirement account (for the record, a lot more than I withdrew from the Standard) and they didn't charge me a penny. This company has been crooked from the start and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I had a long term disability claim with The Standard. From the onset of signing the contract it is drilled into the client that it is the client's responsibility to update the company if the claim turns into a social security disability or PERS retirement disability claim, and update any new medical information. Good luck with that. Every call I made was greeted with literally, "What are you calling me for?" My analyst didn't bother to update my file when I called. She wanted me off of the phone. Instead of waiting the 4 days needed to get medical information from my doctor before sending it off for physician review, she just sent the claim in without it and jeopardized my claim. When I called her on it she said, "So what, you can always appeal."

For a person facing intracranial surgery and a year of recovery time, that is not an option. Every effort I made to contact her supervisor resulted in attempting to cover their asses legally instead of correcting the performance of the analyst. I had to threaten legal action to get a new analyst, so they are punishing me by delaying my claim. The manager of the disability department still refuses to take any responsibility for her employee's shoddy performance and nasty attitude with customers. I fully expect retribution with my claim because I pushed the issue. If that happens, I will contact an attorney.

After my wife Denise passed The Standard Insurance Co. had me jumping through hoops sending them documents and releasing documents with the promise to pay off the policy. They even left me voice mails saying "Be patient." Well that was all a lie. These companies should be ashamed of themselves for jerking people around while knowing full well they have no intention of paying on the policy if they can get out of it. The companies that buy cut-rate life insurance policies for their employees should be ashamed as well. Shame on all of you for what you do to decent people.

I had a torn rotator cuff and post traumatic stress due to an injury at work. It took a long time to get a proper diagnosis and surgery. I asked for supplemental income during the time post surgery. The Standard kept putting off payment. The first reason for denial was... I could have returned to work the day after rotator cuff surgery (It was my right arm). The next appeal was... I wasn't working 15 hours a week. I was not employed; therefore didn't qualify for supplemental payment. (I worked for the same employer for 35 years and used up my sick leave waiting for surgery. I received a partial paycheck until I decided to retire.) During that time The Standard was being taken out of my paycheck. This company is horrible. They take your money and screw with you when you're at the most vulnerable.

I was looking for a new insurance company for my family. Been with my previous ins. co 5 yrs. And rates were going to increase. After calling around they gave me a quote. But wanted a huge deposit. I did, apparently they claim they don't check records?? Which is bull!! (I don't buy that!!) You don't do business that way! After I started the policy. The women was extremely weird, she tells me I have to sign a waiver for any and all people that visit my home, my boys girlfriends and my friends etc. WTH?? I'VE NEVER HAD ANY INSURANCE COMPANY ASK ME THAT!! Or they will drop my coverage. I thought that was weird. Long story short. They cancelled my policy, 3 weeks later and would not refund at least half my deposit. BUT NO!!! They had these fees!! Very shady!! SUPER SHADY!!! Very leery. If something seems too good to be true it is!!! I would never recommend anyone there!!!

I've paid into disability insurance for many years. I've never needed it, thankfully, until recently. I had a sudden health scare. I was running fevers, coughing up blood, severe fatigue, and scans found lesions all over my body. I missed so much work due to my tests, doctor's visits, fatigue and fevers. The short-term went through right away. When the insurance had to convert to long-term is when the problems began.

I'm feeling better now and returning to work but am still fighting the payments due me to this point. Although I've been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder, backed up by labs and tests, I'm still being denied. I've filled out (and my docs) the same paperwork half a dozen times and 6 months later am still getting notices that say they're still deciding. 6 months without a paycheck. What was the purpose of paying into this all those years? They're trying to wear me down. This is unethical!

I would not recommend the Standard Ins. for any employer or individual because they bypass their policy provisions by conveniently using an internal decision making panel to deny covered claims. The policy that Standard Ins. Company has issued as provided by Bio-Rad Corporation for which I was employed, stated that it will supplement my income during my disability in such a manner that whatever percentage the state disability pays they will add to it so that I would receive a total 100% of my salary during my temporary disability period for up to six months. Standard Ins. accepted my disability status and supplemented my income for three months and after that they stopped payments without any notice. I provided letters from my doctors and I also provided them all the treatment records from the doctors' offices since my disability period started.

After three months into disability my doctors continued to report that I am disabled and not fit to go back to work, but I was refused any further payments from Standard Ins. as they only base their decision solely on their internal panel of decision makers no matter what my health status is claimed to be by my doctors.

I spoke several times with the agent that was assigned to my case and asked if they could provide a reason for the payment stoppage. Since they had accepted to pay me based on my doctors' reports and records for the first three months, and since my doctors continued to find me unfit to return back to work after the first three months of disability I asked the agent to provide the reason that changed their mind to stop payments for the next three months as their policy promised to do.

In a lengthy phone conversation the Standard Ins. agent did not provide any specific reason other than saying that their approval panel denied further payments. The conversation with the agent was extremely unpleasant as it was repeatedly full of sighs and unwillingness to help. Asked him to have his manager call me. His manager called and said that he cannot provide any further help on the matter as their panel had decided to deny further payments and that there is nothing he could do about it. When I asked him if I could speak with any of their deciding panel members he said that is not possible. Please do not patronize Standard Ins. as they are not reliable and will do their best not to pay for benefits they promise.

My father passed away in November 2014 and as of today, May.. we are still waiting for the insurance monies from Standard Life Insurance. My father had two cancer policies.. We had mailed all the information the insurance company asked for in two envelopes and had put the different policy numbers on the packet of information requested. They continue to get the two policies confused, saying they paid on both but actually only on one.. They sent the checks on my late father's name not the estate of and the banks won't cash them of course. We had to send the checks back to them along with a form the attorney had to fill out...

To this day, no replacement checks nor no checks for the remaining policy we had...VERY FRUSTRATING... When we call for an update the customer service representative says someone will call us back and still waiting for that also.

It would take pages and pages to describe the hell I went through. If you are offered LTD benefits paid by your University, decline, again Decline. Being I worked for a university hospital, I was shocked, to find out, this place which offers you this Bad Faith insurance company to its employees who are highly intelligent, have a LTD carrier with this Standard Insurance company and don't release that it will do everything under the sun to not pay a dime. I am currently looking for an attorney to deal with Bad faith LTD.

First, people think LTD kicks in when Short Term ends, that is the reason you have it so you do not become financial ruined. Forget it. Standard forces you to sign for SSD, then estimates your payments, and immediately subtracts it from their payment, I had a basic which was 70 percent of my salary. After my estimated SSD was subtracted, I was given just the minimum they had to pay 50 dollars a month. They said I would begin receiving the 750 from them, after I receive my first denial letter, in 1991, that took 9 months, to get. I used the equity in my home to replace my salary, then after having to deal with the hell back then of social Security Disability, I got my denial letter, and sent it to them.

Finally almost going bankrupt, I was told before they issued a check, I had to sign a document, saying I would have to pay every dime back if I won SSD. That it would be considered an overpayment, I never signed it and for whatever reason, they screwed up and sent me the money anyway without my agreeing to pay it back. Continuing to pressure me to speak and appeal 3 or 4 times and then facing a judge who immediately awarded me SSD, I notified them of my award. I received a letter requesting all payments made to me, be returned to them in full, exactly all of my back SSD, mind you they put me in a whole, suffering large late fees because of getting only 50, now they demand one lump sum. I asked them "are you saying you want my SSD award check all of it." On many times I asked, "No" they said "we want the money we gave you back."

If they said they wanted my SSD check, that would be against the Social Security Act, that would be in violation of it since no creditor can force you to give SSD back. After sending letters many of them, they said that they would stop sending me the 170, they had to give me a month, because surprise their estimate was too high. So I never received a penny for 11 years, until they got all their money back, I had to go to their Doctor for him to see if I was disabled, even though at that time I was SSD, their standards were harder to meet than SS was. I tried to tell personnel they needed to be truthful when they gave their benefit talks, things are worse for employees now.

The biggest deception was with Standard. You are able to cover more of your salary, basic was free but for can pick to pay an amount expression, pennies on the dollar for that increase. Turns out it can be a good amount, but they have no idea of this bad faith company, because SSD also increases. The more money you make, SSD increases also, more money you make. The more education you have the less likely you will collect anything. So they get to get more money from you and appears to me, it's wonderful for them, great money making way to get free money. In Nov 2014, I was told I was retired, and all Disability.

Get private LTD insurance not with them, since the university pays for the basic, if you have private it is tax deductible, and research the private one beforehand. The danger of thinking you are paid if your short term disability ends, gives you a false sense of security. Beware, tell your employer you do not want this so called free benefit, you must verify if this company your employer uses, most likely it's cheap for them, but expensive for you.

I don't know where to begin. While on fmla I ran out of leave. Reported to Standard about my leave. I received 1 check, told my case closed. I needed to get more, send in doctor info. Gone a month without any income. Losing my home, could not get to rehab appt. Lost some of my benefits. Couldn't pay them, begging for and borrowing money. Just a nightmare, as I lay here and vent, now I am in tears.

Signed a contract with Standard Insurance with full knowledge of my history, I disclosed all my information, my Social Security #, DOB, Address. Paid my initial payment fees of $296.00, only to find out that in less than 3 weeks, they canceled my insurance, and took all my money. I tried to get my money back, only to find a rude agent who did not care about clients and had a very bad attitude. Lost my down payment and lost my insurance, I call this a theft by check.

I am a school bus driver and started experiencing extreme lethargy, pain, and headaches. It finally became so consistent I had to stop working. I have been paying extra out of every check for 3 years just in case. After I got my Medical paperwork in, I was told I would receive a letter from Standard. Well I never received the letter. I called them to see what was going on and was told I was denied because I could still do my job. I then sent them a statement from my doctor stating it was unsafe for me to drive. They said that wasn't enough.

I have now changed doctors, turned in all new paperwork from her stating it’s unsafe for me to perform my job of driving a school bus until they get medications worked for fibromyalgia. Was told last week when I left message with reviewer that she would call back, she never did. Now today, they still denied me stating I could do my job. I'm told a manager will call me back. Haven't so far. Seems after reading everybody's that it's pretty much the same story. Wonder if there can be a class action lawsuit?

I was duped by the salesman into thinking this was health insurance. Not so, it's for accidents and sickness only. $300 a month for almost 2 years. I admit I'm naive. However, I was clearly taken advantage of. They shouldn't be allowed to practice this.

Oregon Educators Benefit Board (OEBB) members, look very, very carefully at the Standard Insurance contract before you pay premiums for long term disability insurance. You have a false sense of security with this company. Contract: You must be under the ongoing care of a physician in the appropriate specialty AS DETERMINED BY US during the benefit waiting period (usually 60 days). Except - no one will contact you during those 60 days to tell you who they consider "appropriate."

My claim was dismissed because they disagreed with my choice of physician and they refused to have a specialist review the claim. I have a complex endocrinology disease and they used a "Board Certified Internist" who couldn't even define the disease properly. My requests for a proper review were denied. In addition, look at the pre-existing disease clause. Obamacare didn't eliminate this for this form of insurance. If you have ever seen a doctor of any kind for your condition - or even self-treated for the condition - you will be denied long term disability. You have the right to purchase a policy separate from OEBB.

I would strongly, strongly urge you not to purchase long term disability from the Standard. Their job is to collect premiums and deny your claims. The poor customer service, disrespectful and demeaning benefits analyst, and the poor handling of my claim were shocking. Don't waste your hard-earned dollars on this company.

The Standard Insurance Company Company Profile