The Standard Insurance Company

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I worked for my current employer for a year when I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was so glad that I opted for the short and long term disability insurance. Boy, did I learn a lesson. I contacted the insurance company before I went on leave figuring that I could expedite things and to get all of my ducks in a row. I was handed over to the man that was in charge of my short term disability claim. He turned out to be a nice guy. He did, however, inform me that I would receive short-term disability for four weeks upon which time I would be handed over to the Long-Term disability department. I thought that to be odd since I was only going to be out for seven weeks.

All things considered, the short-term paid off well. I got four checks and then a letter came from long-term disability saying that they needed to investigate because they suspected that my colon cancer may be a pre-existing condition. So I filled out the permission form for them to get information from my current provider. Next I received a request to sign a permission form for a previous provider group. Bear in mind, this was happening in May of 2017 and they wanted the information from January 01, 2016. I sent in the permission form. Next I received a permission form request for a pharmacy that we used and a week later they wanted a permission form for a pharmacy that I used maybe twice. Also bear in mind that I was never seen for any cancer related issue before this year, ever.

So the next thing that happened is that I received a letter saying that they were still "investigating" my claim, so I called the adjuster who told me that it could still take "several weeks" to make a determination. The next letter that I received was one telling me that they were also investigating my life insurance, who it happens is offered from The Standard Insurance Company. The letter said that my life insurance might be dropped, or at the very least I would be responsible for paying for it in whole by myself.

So, today, which is August 02, I get two more letters, both telling me that they need more information. Although the adjuster told me that he had received all of the information from my current provider, the letter stated that they have never received that information. I was also told that they have never received information from that one pharmacy that I used a couple of times. They are basically requiring me to call these entities to provide the information to them.

I've had it. I'm not quitting my quest. I am going to send out a mass mailing to everyone in my workplace to ask if they've been screwed over by The Standard. There are two women on my unit who have had various bad experiences so there must be many more who can testify that they've been shafted. I'm doing this to pressure my employer to get a new insurance company. This is going to be hard because I work for a state entity. I'm also going to contact my state and federal legislators to ask for help. This has worked in the past for other concerns that I've had about impropriety in government and/or insurance companies.

The thing is that companies like The Standard do things like this to people to make them so frustrated that they just give up and move on. I'm not that way, I'll see this through to the end. I'm working again and I can afford to be a fly in their ointment and a burr under their saddle. They've messed with the wrong person this time.

I have to ask other people who have had experienced these folks. I have literally sent in everything they sent to me and gave them info they needed. They are the worse to deal with!!! Every time I call I get someone different who has no clue and I explain it over and over as if I'm starting over. Then they just out of nowhere stopped my checks, with no notice at all. So now I'm screwed on paying my bills with the money I worked for since I was 16 years old, is that even allowed? Can they stop my check without giving me any notice? And since I have not a penny to my name, my phone was cut off and usually the automated system will call me to let me know if my check went out. Does the automated system generate a check? Maybe I didn't get it because of my phone being cut off? Can someone please help.

I was struck by lightning in 2014. I received Long term disability check from the Standard until my Social Security went through. I have PTSD therefore after 24 months I could not draw my Long term check from the Standard due to a clause in the policy so they started withholding my entire check several months before the checks were to stop. I received a very ugly letter requesting the entire balance that I am and was not in a position to pay due to being disabled and a very low income. They demanded that I pay a $100.00 a month or they would destroy my credit.

I paid them $100.00 only in July 2015. I as agreed or they would put it on my credit. After that my husband and I wrote them a letter and told them that we could only pay $50.00. Then my Ss went down due to Medicare so we wrote another letter stating that all we could afford is $25.00 a month. They have been accepting my payments for 10 months now. Today I get a letter from a collection agency stating that I owe more than is owed and a judgment is being put against me.

I purchased both Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability policies in good faith and shortly after excitedly starting my new job. I was enrolled in these policies without any lapses for more than two years. My employer had many administrative problems and those problems caused many of the workers to seek treatment for a variety of medical conditions including stress and depression and work-related PTSD, being required to do, perform unethical and dangerous business practices sometimes endangering patient safety as well as employee safety.

I sought treatment from a Medical Doctor regarding my situation. I explained to him that there were safety issues and physical threats as well as dangerous working conditions as the temperature had reached 89 degrees without any ventilation and without windows and working in a security controlled records department. I was also required to perform an increasing workload that was previously performed by 4 full-time employees. I was feeling very overwhelmed and stressed and under a lot of pressure by Administration that was constantly requesting me to complete the ever increasing amount of work and to complete management tasks that took me away from my desk to attend hours of meetings while still completing all of the work and some of the work was patient related information. I was the only employee running and working in a vital to patient safety department that was previously staffed by 4 employees.

I had sought treatment by a medical doctor and explained to him my increasing concerns for my health and well-being. My Doctor felt that I needed to be treated and he put me on disability and he completed claim forms for both Short-Term and when eligible for Long-Term disability paperwork. I have gotten nothing but a run-around. (It appears by reading the comments, that many other people that have filed claims also have had the same treatment). In August of 2016, I filed a claim for Short-Term Disability with a company named, "The Standard". The Standard said they received the claim information, then they said they needed me to send it again (First one was sent certified mail and received by them) and then they said it was being reviewed, then reviewed again, then again, through several levels of reviewers.

Then more information was requested and more information was sent it to them and they were reviewing more information all the while saying that I have a "Claim". I have correct claim numbers and information and that it will be processed promptly. And then after 9 months, I was told I have been requesting my claim from the "Wrong company". I was told that my claim should have been processed through a company called "The Reliance Standard".

As a consumer, paying my premiums through payroll deduction in a timely manner, expecting a product in the form of an insurance policy, that has been fully paid for, I would expect that this would be a simple and clear transaction and that "The Standard" should honor their responsibility as the recipient of the premiums and they have benefited from the payment of these premiums. But it appears that there is a problem with the handling and mishandling of the confidential patient and employee information.

According to the reviews on the Consumer Affairs website, multiple copies of the same information has been requested by the Insurance company. I am requesting a prompt resolution and payment of my claim for Short-Term and Long-Term Disability benefits as all information has been sent to both companies and it appears that they don't have a problem with delaying their payments to the detriment of me the consumer that purchased their product for the protection of myself and my family.

STANDARD, LTD benefits... get a good attorney. I'm disabled type 1 juvenile onset diabetic... 30+ years… neuropathy from my hips down... multiple injury related surgeries and so on. 3 of my doctors concur with permanent total disability. Yet they use their paid for drs that have never even met you to evaluate your medical records in an attempt to deny you.

After months and months of stress and grief and sleeping trouble I decided to dive into who these people really are... OMG. They are worse than greasy used car salesmen. They lie for a living. They push people to the brink and hope that person gives up. Note... these people are already disabled, WTF. They lie about everything, from receiving faxes, medical records, mail sent. They laugh at my despair. If you’re unlucky enough like me you will be assigned to a senior case analyst. This is a person that has worked their way up in screwing disabled people out of their benefits. If you're like me I have nothing... but the will to fight these people until the bitter end, with a GOOD attorney... good luck...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?

Consumer Increased Rating!

It's only fair to follow up that the agent I am currently working with has spoken with my provider and myself multiple times since my first review and the service is greatly improved. I think this improvement has more to do with the individual professionalism and skill of the agent and perhaps not so much with the standard operating procedures of The Standard, but there you have it. I will continue to update these reviews as my claim proceeds.

anne of De Pere, WI on

Original Review

I am only giving a one-star rating because there is no zero or negative number option. This company sends repeated notices that they have not received the appropriate paperwork, repeated notices that customer has not submitted appropriate information or forms and telephone directives that supply different fax numbers than official forms. They cost my doctor's office and physician's time and money in duplicating forms and re-submitting every request. They send repeated notices that if they do not receive further documentation of fulfilled "requests" they will "decide your claim without them" within 30 days.

The strategy suggests that their business paradigm is to delay the claims as long as possible and in the event the customer gives up or fails to prove that the documents have actually been sent multiple times, they are actually able to deny the claim. My doctor's office has documented and supplied copies of every fax -- but apparently The Standard hasn't received them?

The Standard requires you to have paperwork filled out by your doctor and in every month The Standard states they have not received it. My doctor faxed it twice, I called and they still have not received it even though the transmission states it has. Correct fax number but they don't seem to get the faxes causing a delay in my payment!! It takes a representative to be in a three-way call with your doctor's office in the line, The Standard rep, and myself, then my doctor's office faxed over the paperwork and Ebola, The Standard rep gets the fax. Don't deal with this company. It has the worst customer service EVER!!!

I had hail damage to the roof of our home and when I received the estimate the company depreciated our roof as they said we have an ACV policy and need an RCV policy to receive the replacement cost. None of this is mentioned when you sign up. However when you need it you get "you need to add coverage." Next none of the damages to the interior of the house are covered as they say this is all due to a poorly built roof that has a valley above the garage. 3 of the rooms with additional damage are upstairs above the "valley". I was then told it was condensation that caused the issue. I told the adjuster that the towel I placed on the window ledge was ringing wet after the last rain and the carpet below was wet as well. He said I should get additional coverage after I called his bluff twice. Very dissatisfied.

Prior to having surgery, all of my disability forms were completed and sent to The Standard. On Page 1, it states that they are required by law to withhold 28% of my benefits, unless a W-4 form is submitted. I submitted my W-4 with all of my other forms and had my surgery. Checks began coming, then stopped and I was not given any notice. I called to ask why and was told that they needed the doctor to fill out forms. 3-4 weeks later I began getting paid again. After 3 months, my checks were significantly less. I called again and I was told that they forgot to withhold my federal income taxes. No one gave me any answers as to why and I was told that they made a mistake.

I now owe over $5k in taxes to the IRS and when I called to rectify the issue, no one can give me an answer. I asked to speak with a supervisor... 2 days later, he's still on the other line. I continue to leave messages and no one calls me back. From the stopped payments, to the tax issues, to the unbelievably bad customer service, this company is an absolute nightmare to be covered by. Hope you never need these guys.

I have been disable since 5/16 and I applied for disability through The Standard. My employee has a group policy and I purchased additional coverage. Have been paying for 20 years or more... At first after a few minor setback with "I am waiting for info from your employer." for example GROUP POLICY NUMBER... Like they did not already have it. So I made a call and put them on a 3 way. Ok so I thought I can focus on getting better... No every time I looked up they needed more info. No one could give you any info, one representative told me perhaps I should not continue to go to the doctor due to my claim was not approved. THE BIGGEST NIGHTMARE IS LONG TERM DISABILITY.

The analyst have been reviewing my paperwork since 12/28/16. I faxed and called several times for her to tell me laughing in my face I must add, she not sure and a outside person need to look at my claim. This person called my doctor's office stated that the info and x-rays were not readable. I took a copy to my doctor, he called and called no answer, I explained that my medical coverage depends on her approval... I just received a letter on 2/18/17 (a day before my birthday. What a present), that I needed to request a formal review in writing after about 60 days of just holding it.. p.s. you only have 180 days. Which I was lead to believed that all my physician had to do was to complete the Attending Physician Form that was enclosed.

Now my employer is sending me bills that I have to pay almost $400 for coverage to continue my PT... Wow. I also have HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE and anxiety disorder which I also was being treated for. My question how can I pay for the coverage when they won't pay my claim and had they approved my claim I would be covered? Sincerely totally stressed out and in a lot of pain.

Warning!! I listen to KLTY on my car radio, about 4 years ago I heard a commercial that advertised Standard Insurance agency... Have people on there testifying how much money they save on their auto and home insurance. So since the office was located near my home I took my current policy that I had with Farmers into the location and ask for a quote on the insurance that I currently had... And lo and behold they came back with a quote my auto and home that saved me several hundred dollars a year. Thought I was getting a good deal until I had to make a claim...

I had water pipes under my house break. I have insurance through American Home Shield to fix my water pipes. But when I went to make a claim for the water damage to my floors Standard Insurance does not cover damage from broken water pipes or almost anything else. After researching about other complaints I find that lots of other people have problems with claims. When I called the company they said I had a policy that was called HOA. Basically that's a policy for Condominiums not for the normal homeowner. When I asked Standard Insurance they said that's the only policy they offer in Texas. Lesson learned you get what you pay for... Now I'm stuck paying for these floors that I thought I was paying for insurance to cover stuff like that. Just wanted to warn you just because you hear it on a Christian radio station doesn't mean that the company has Christian morals. Don't want anyone else to find out the hard way like I did.

I don't understand why people worried about government spending. Don't put a lid on what some insurance companies are doing, like The Standard. Basically anyone seriously sick and in pain doesn't have time to peruse lawsuits. The Standard hires a company like Allsup to constantly nag its policy holder for information to get the policy holder transferred to Social Security Disability.

The company that you were employed with is complacent in this as it brings down their rates. Then The Standard sends you paperwork so that any money coming to you OR your children (even though they told me my children's money wouldn't be effected) must be turned over to them. IN ESSENCE: You pay your premium and The Standard never has to pay a cent. It really needs to be stopped. When you work for a large company, they don't provide you with a copy of your policy.

Had a couple of Issue and asked to have automatically withdrawal out of my account for payment. Was unaware I had no insurance until the bank notified me. Went back to make sure this time I had paperwork drawn up to have payment withdrawn out of my account again. 9 months went by I let my son borrow my car and he happened to get a ticket. The ticket he had got was for no insurance and I was unaware I had no insurance again.

I called the company. I got ahold of corporate. They told me they would get back to me and check on the situation. I got a call back in regards to the situation a hold and she told me it was corporate's mistake and if I had the $900 for the back pay that they would go ahead and continue my insurance. I told her I did not have the $900. She told me that if I had payment each month for the last 9 months that I should be able to pay the $900 back. I told her it was corporate mistake that I did not have 900 in my bank. I then told her that it was two weeks before Christmas and that if she wanted the money that bad I would take back all of my grandkids Christmas presents and take a picture of the empty tree so they can have their $900 that they messed up on.

She then told me that she would call me back and get a hold of corporate because I did inform her that I would put it on Facebook and the internet anything I had to do to let him know that my grandkids how their Christmas was this year and told her that I would put it on Facebook of everything she then told me that she would call me back and get a hold of corporate. She call me a of couple days later and tell me that they were going to Forfeit the 900 and start a new contract 3 days later.

My son went to court a month later in regards to the situation. He ended up getting a fine for $200 for no insurance. What a surprise they did not back the three days. They started a new contract three days later so when he went to court there was no insurance. Surprise. I then called the company back in regards to the situation. She informed me that she had brought it to my attention. I told her "yes you did" but whether it was going to be benefited to him or to me you still messed up strike three because of the ticket was in my name. I still had no proof of insurance because it wasn't dated back 3 days prior to when the ticket was issued so that's strike three that they still did not do their job.

In May of 2016 my doctor took me off work and I filed a claim for short term through my job. On June 20th 2016 I was approved for short term disability through the company that I had been paying through my job. I had constant stopping and delaying of payments due to needing records every month even though my doctor stated and I explained wouldn't even review me to be able to go back to work until Feb of 2017. Still they stopped and delayed my payments for weeks to request and receive the same records over and over again.

In the middle of September information started to be requested to transition from short term to long term as my short term was scheduled to end October 31st 2016. On October 4th 2016 I received a letter stating all necessary info has been received and can now begin the review of my long term claim. I called and was confirmed "yes everything was received". October 10th I received a letter stating "we cannot make a final decision on your claim until we get addition info". I sent all forms asked of me, and was told I need to be excluded from any pre-existing conditions between the time of January 02, 2016 through March 31, 2016 to be approved. After here the case turned for the worse. I would call weekly to check in on the status but was told I could talk to only my analyst. She never answered and not only that she never returned my calls.

On Oct 31st I received a letter stating In order to complete my investigation, I must analyze all pertinent medical, vocational, and financial info and additional info that is needed has been requested. Since then I have received forms needed 3 1/2 weeks after the date of the letter, and only after calling multiple times and leaving messages of what is the hold up. And the response of "hmmm not sure what happened there. It was suppose to be with you last check, it was just resent recently." No returned phone calls. And an explanation by both a letter, analyst, and a supervisor, in December that only one more record is needed to finalize my claim. The office takes up to 30 days to process record requests so I could understand a partial delay. But when I called the office and explained that The Standard told me they sent the request over 5 weeks ago, the office informed me that they had just receive the request 1 week prior to me calling.

The Standard company lied! The records were sent to The Standard on Jan 4th of 2017. Mind you this case started in September of 2016. And 2 days later I received a call from the company Release point that the standard works with and was informed. I need to resign a release for the medical office because The Standard accidentally requested records from the wrong date, as well as they need records from my pharmacy. How can they do this? This is clearly being done to purposely stall my claim. They knew who my pharmacy was for months and those records should have been requested, and how do you request the wrong date of records. It was suppose to be January 2016 through April 2016. They requested October 2016. And now they are requesting records from January 2015 to current.

I informed them I did not start seeing the doctor until May 2016 so they are requesting non-existing records and no possibility for preexisting condition. And this can be confirmed by the doctor's office via phone call as I signed a release form. It is January 12th 2017. And nothing is being done. Worst company filled with lies!!!

I have been paying on a $500.000.00 Accidental Death and Dismemberment Policy for MANY years. I fell and damaged my left eye and lost usable eyesight in that eye (20/600 range). Because I 'can see two fingers stuck in front of my face', my second claim was denied. They "lost" my first claim even though I have a return receipt proving they received it. This organization has proven to me that they are beyond unfair, unprofessional and unhelpful.

Due to the VOLUMES OF NEGATIVE REVIEWS, I'd like to just throw this out there for anyone who might be interested. I'd like to propose that a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT be initiated on behalf of all of the dissatisfied claimants who have been bilked right out of their benefits which are rightfully owed them. If any attorney wants to take on this cause, thousands will be eternally grateful for your compassion and tenacity.

In the past, I personally viewed one of my claims adjusters profiles on FB. This is what she said, "I love my job, working for one of the greatest companies (something to that effect)!" This infuriated me as I took out a supplemental plan with this company through my employer in 2005 just as a backup IF I became unable to work. They had NO PROBLEM DRAWING MY PREMIUM MONTHLY WITHOUT FAIL! Once I became disabled due to Major surgery and complications after, STOPPED paying any benefits when they desired to do so. Very, ruthless, deceptive, unethical, bogus company that I ever encountered in my entire life.

After I lost the benefits that came with my job, I looked to Standard Insurance for health coverage. While they were initially helpful, they kept bundling life insurance from a company called Phoenix with my policy despite my protests (I was already covered through State Farm). They signed me up for Phoenix anyway, and I had to contact Phoenix a few times to receive a refund. This situation marred what had been a fairly easy process of finding cheap health insurance.

I went out on disability and was told that I would get 60% of my pay but that it may be a little less because of my retirement. All the paperwork was filled out with the county that I worked for and submitted, everything was ok for a little while but then they came back and said that they did not know that I was receiving retirement. My retirement is only a little over $300.00 a month. Then they came back and said that I owe them all this back pay and that I will not receive a check until it is all paid back. I ask if I could pay payments on it but was told that I cannot. What am I supposed to pay my bills with and get my medications with? Why do we even pay for insurance when they are not here for us when we need them? This is so wrong and from what I am reading about these people, I seriously doubt that I owe them anything!

I retired several years ago and the company for which I had worked ran my pension through this group. Despite the fact that my pension payment is due to me on the 12th of each month, The Standard generally mails it on the 25th of the month. Now excuse me if I'm wrong, but if my insurance payment is but a few days late I'm hit with a late charge. Yet, The Standard mails my payment 13 days late each and every month without penalty. How is that? When I called them they informed me that all pension checks were done in a mass mailing on that date (the 25th). The second time I called about this they hung up on me. The Standard is definitely BELOW STANDARD in my mind!!

Definitely do not recommend. They do not offer any expertise, professionalism, assistance, guidance, or any help whatsoever if you file a claim. I have never had such horrible customer service, not to mention being lied to about the claim process. Yes, it is cheap. As they say, you get what you pay for. Thankful for the at-fault driver's insurance company. They have gone above and beyond. Even they can't believe the "service" from Standard. Standard insurance is way, way, way, below standard. Stay away from Standard!!

I was taken off work by my doctor for PTSD, major depression, anxiety and stress disorder. At first the standard approved the claim. When my off work was extended after losing my friends and coworkers in a terrorist attack, they said they needed more information and would contact my medical provider. They did not actually contact the doctor, as the doctor had no record of them doing so. When I called to find out what was going on, they said, oh, well we are faxing it now. Mind you this was 3 weeks they made me wait for "review." I had to coordinate the paperwork they needed for my claim. Over a month went by without a payment. around the end of December they finally paid a claim.

My doctor has continued to extend my off work and the process started all over again. Around 01/11/2016, (a month later) they paid one more part of the claim. Now they are saying they again need more paperwork to continue to extend and that they would contact dr. They did not contact him. I had to call and call and they finally fax the request and failed to include the HIPPA release form, which they had on file. After I call to find out what is going on, they resend the request with the release.

The doctor fills out what they want and now they are saying that although my doctor included more information, their internal reviewer who has never met me or talked to me and is designed to find a way to deny people's claims, overrides my actual doctor's assessment that I cannot return to my work as an officer at this time. They have failed to follow up timely with my doctor. They have failed to submit release forms to obtain the records they needed. They have failed to conduct their business in a moral manner. They have lied about requesting information from my doctor and are very unclear about what information they need so that they can randomly deny whatever claim they don't want to pay.

I recently had AUS surgery. Surgery was scheduled for early Oct 2015 follow-up in 6 weeks. At follow-up there was still considerable swelling and pain, so my physician suggested returning to work the week of 11-22-2015. The Standard insisted all paperwork be mailed to them and my employer HAD to be called in order return to work. The paperwork was returned by mail to them. Mysteriously they have no copy of that letter??? Not what I'm seeing in front of me. My steps:

BBB, BANKING AND INS, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL.

The Company denies receiving info even when there is proof. The company will always override the doctors disability medical reasons. My Claim was dropped after a few weeks of pay with no notice as I wait for a much needed check. Managers and adjustors requesting add info but not willing to pay for them so they decide not to pay. My send what is needed but there is still no check.

First of all, when The Standard came to our company, we were told there would be no fees for our 401k. Then when the quarterly statement came out, we were charged $12.32. We were not allowed to take our funds out as long as we were a Wingspan employee. So, they continued to take the $12.32 out, which I was barely even making that much in my return on investment. Wingspan has since went bankrupt and on top of all the money, they have taken out of my account in fees that were never supposed to be charged. They charged $75 just to cut me a check for my money that I withdrew. I just withdrew money from my JPMorgan Chase retirement account (for the record, a lot more than I withdrew from the Standard) and they didn't charge me a penny. This company has been crooked from the start and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I had a long term disability claim with The Standard. From the onset of signing the contract it is drilled into the client that it is the client's responsibility to update the company if the claim turns into a social security disability or PERS retirement disability claim, and update any new medical information. Good luck with that. Every call I made was greeted with literally, "What are you calling me for?" My analyst didn't bother to update my file when I called. She wanted me off of the phone. Instead of waiting the 4 days needed to get medical information from my doctor before sending it off for physician review, she just sent the claim in without it and jeopardized my claim. When I called her on it she said, "So what, you can always appeal."

For a person facing intracranial surgery and a year of recovery time, that is not an option. Every effort I made to contact her supervisor resulted in attempting to cover their asses legally instead of correcting the performance of the analyst. I had to threaten legal action to get a new analyst, so they are punishing me by delaying my claim. The manager of the disability department still refuses to take any responsibility for her employee's shoddy performance and nasty attitude with customers. I fully expect retribution with my claim because I pushed the issue. If that happens, I will contact an attorney.

After my wife Denise passed The Standard Insurance Co. had me jumping through hoops sending them documents and releasing documents with the promise to pay off the policy. They even left me voice mails saying "Be patient." Well that was all a lie. These companies should be ashamed of themselves for jerking people around while knowing full well they have no intention of paying on the policy if they can get out of it. The companies that buy cut-rate life insurance policies for their employees should be ashamed as well. Shame on all of you for what you do to decent people.

I had a torn rotator cuff and post traumatic stress due to an injury at work. It took a long time to get a proper diagnosis and surgery. I asked for supplemental income during the time post surgery. The Standard kept putting off payment. The first reason for denial was... I could have returned to work the day after rotator cuff surgery (It was my right arm). The next appeal was... I wasn't working 15 hours a week. I was not employed; therefore didn't qualify for supplemental payment. (I worked for the same employer for 35 years and used up my sick leave waiting for surgery. I received a partial paycheck until I decided to retire.) During that time The Standard was being taken out of my paycheck. This company is horrible. They take your money and screw with you when you're at the most vulnerable.

I was looking for a new insurance company for my family. Been with my previous ins. co 5 yrs. And rates were going to increase. After calling around they gave me a quote. But wanted a huge deposit. I did, apparently they claim they don't check records?? Which is bull!! (I don't buy that!!) You don't do business that way! After I started the policy. The women was extremely weird, she tells me I have to sign a waiver for any and all people that visit my home, my boys girlfriends and my friends etc. WTH?? I'VE NEVER HAD ANY INSURANCE COMPANY ASK ME THAT!! Or they will drop my coverage. I thought that was weird. Long story short. They cancelled my policy, 3 weeks later and would not refund at least half my deposit. BUT NO!!! They had these fees!! Very shady!! SUPER SHADY!!! Very leery. If something seems too good to be true it is!!! I would never recommend anyone there!!!

I've paid into disability insurance for many years. I've never needed it, thankfully, until recently. I had a sudden health scare. I was running fevers, coughing up blood, severe fatigue, and scans found lesions all over my body. I missed so much work due to my tests, doctor's visits, fatigue and fevers. The short-term went through right away. When the insurance had to convert to long-term is when the problems began.

I'm feeling better now and returning to work but am still fighting the payments due me to this point. Although I've been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder, backed up by labs and tests, I'm still being denied. I've filled out (and my docs) the same paperwork half a dozen times and 6 months later am still getting notices that say they're still deciding. 6 months without a paycheck. What was the purpose of paying into this all those years? They're trying to wear me down. This is unethical!

I would not recommend the Standard Ins. for any employer or individual because they bypass their policy provisions by conveniently using an internal decision making panel to deny covered claims. The policy that Standard Ins. Company has issued as provided by Bio-Rad Corporation for which I was employed, stated that it will supplement my income during my disability in such a manner that whatever percentage the state disability pays they will add to it so that I would receive a total 100% of my salary during my temporary disability period for up to six months. Standard Ins. accepted my disability status and supplemented my income for three months and after that they stopped payments without any notice. I provided letters from my doctors and I also provided them all the treatment records from the doctors' offices since my disability period started.

After three months into disability my doctors continued to report that I am disabled and not fit to go back to work, but I was refused any further payments from Standard Ins. as they only base their decision solely on their internal panel of decision makers no matter what my health status is claimed to be by my doctors.

I spoke several times with the agent that was assigned to my case and asked if they could provide a reason for the payment stoppage. Since they had accepted to pay me based on my doctors' reports and records for the first three months, and since my doctors continued to find me unfit to return back to work after the first three months of disability I asked the agent to provide the reason that changed their mind to stop payments for the next three months as their policy promised to do.

In a lengthy phone conversation the Standard Ins. agent did not provide any specific reason other than saying that their approval panel denied further payments. The conversation with the agent was extremely unpleasant as it was repeatedly full of sighs and unwillingness to help. Asked him to have his manager call me. His manager called and said that he cannot provide any further help on the matter as their panel had decided to deny further payments and that there is nothing he could do about it. When I asked him if I could speak with any of their deciding panel members he said that is not possible. Please do not patronize Standard Ins. as they are not reliable and will do their best not to pay for benefits they promise.

The Standard Insurance Company Company Profile