Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.10/5

The Standard Insurance Company Reviews

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

The Standard Insurance Company is the WORST insurance company I have ever dealt with. That is saying a lot, since I dislike and distrust insurance companies anyway. A simple short term disability claim, for ONE week of time off work, that qualified me for ONE weeks compensation, took NINE weeks for them to get it right and pay the benefits.

First they paid me for time I did not ask for. They kept sending checks even AFTER I called them and informed them of THEIR error. They even sent me another persons claim forms and denial letter! Then, when it was time for them to pay me for time I was entitled to, they did not have me in their system anymore. All paperwork and doctors notes had to be sent again, not once, but two more times. My HR department worked on my behalf as much as they could, but finally concluded as I did. The people at The Standard Insurance Company do not have clue what they are doing. Stay away from this group of idiots. This company should be out of business!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

This company is awful. I have had to call every week regarding something that was either incorrect, not completed or overlooked. None of the reps speak very good English which it makes it hard to understand them and they have an even harder time understanding me. I often have to repeat & re-explain things. I had to call them to re-certify my leave of absence. I had 3 checks that were sent to the wrong address even after correcting my address although all other correspondences sent from them had the correct address. I was told that someone would call me back after my disability claim was not updated after the physician's statement was submitted over 2 weeks prior and nobody ever called.

I had to them call back myself & demand to talk to someone regarding my issue because the rep was trying to pass off my issue. I am still waiting on 3 weekly checks, the first sent out on Nov. 7 and it is now 11/22. Had to call them again to re-issue my checks which will take even longer. I had surgery on 10/9 and I have experienced more issues with them than from my surgery. They have been more of a pain than the pain I have experienced post-op! They are the absolutely worst.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Definitely not intended for the customer. Forcing the customer to suffer through additional stress - not even necessary. If a licensed doctor/physician provides even "basic" information - it is questioned. Why even bother. Hope I never have to go through this experience again especially with this company. All about "big business".

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Bryan ** does not do his job. I had to keep calling to get my check sent out and all he did was laugh like it’s a joke. Worst company ever. Then to top it off I ask to speak to his supervisor which he claim is Carrie that never got on the phone. I will most definitely be canceling this service through my job. Not even worth the headache.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

The Standard Insurance Company is beyond fraudulent. I signed up for the STD plan because it was the only option that my employer offered (which should say enough about my employer, as well). After paying into the program for years, I seriously injured my back and was unable to return to work. I was able to draw 3/4 of my pay for 4 weeks only to have The Standard close my case, with no notification, no further contact and having nothing medically, stating that my condition has changed, nor improved. Therefore; violating their agreement to pay 3/4 of my pay for a total of 6 months.

I have multiple medical professionals willing to submit documents proving that I no longer have the ability to work, none the less, after closing my claim, without contacting me, The Standard has subcontracted the review of my claim to a 3rd party. It's extremely unfortunate that there are no government agencies that have the motivation or means to hold companies like this accountable. And good luck going after a company this big on your own, just read the reviews and feedback concerning The Standard! So far 87 of 88 reviews are 1 star! And if you read the reviews, that's only that high, because less than 1 star isn't an option. The Standard and everyone involved can GFT!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

After months of submitting my medical information, etc and hounding this company for a response I was denied coverage. Understand that through the CTA you can apply and not submit any medical history and be covered but only when you are first hired (which I wasn't informed of). CA educators are not covered under state disability which was also news to me as I have worked my entire career in the private sector. I am a very healthy young person with just hypothyroid which occasionally impacts my blood pressure. Both issues are documented as being minor and have never caused me to miss a day of work. Yet still could not qualify. Now that I am seeing the very very low reviews for this company I guess I should count my blessings that I am not going to waste my money with them. Look elsewhere, stay away!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

The Standard Retirement 401(k) charges major fees for keeping a balance in the 401(k) on top of participant fees, and lot of other fees for distributions. They charge about $300 PER QUARTER for keeping a balance in their 401(k) after leaving an employer. The options in the plan for investment doesn't even earn that much to justify the costs. They are people's stealing 401(k) money through frivolous fees. I cannot believe the Dept of Labor is allowing this company to steal people's retirement money.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I chose the company because of its cost effectiveness, but now realize that sometimes you get what you pay for. I would like to change insurance companies, but it's tied into my home insurance and don't want to go through the trouble of switching now since I just purchased my home.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Went on sick leave supposed to have operation. Off work for a month and it's been over a month and I haven't got my money yet. I called them numerous times and they say is still in review and they don't even direct deposit. They send you a freaking check. How do they expect you to pay your house payment with no freaking money. I just should have had my company use my vacation. I already would if got two paychecks from them. I get paid every 2 weeks. Not every month and a half. They sent me two letters in the mail saying that it's in review. Not emails. I called them up and ask them what was going on and they said, "We don't know your start date or your ending date back to work." How can it be in review if you don't know my starter and end date. Then gave her doctor note by email my paperwork for my doctor and now they're saying that might not be good enough for them.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Be careful with this insurance company. I applied for short term disability when I had surgery for cancer. The company pays only 45.00 per day missed. NOT 60% of your weekly income. That came out to 91.00 for two days missed when my gross pay for the days I was out was 240.00 I wasn't told this during the six weeks it took to at least get a check. Shop around and read all the reviews carefully.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

The Standard Insurance Company Company Information