1.1/5 (110 ratings)

About The Standard Insurance Company

The Standard Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I was off work for 5 weeks+ with no income. They lost paperwork that was faxed numerous times. Finally a check dated 1-11-2022. It's now 1-17-2022 & no check had been seen. I hated my experience. 0 stars.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

What a miserable company to do business with! T ** was the most incompetent, incoherent employee to deal with. I had tried to cancel my policy, they didn’t respond and then claimed overpayment. I proved actually underpayment!

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I’m currently dealing with this company but want to start with my experience last year. They sent a check for way more than I should have received, cancelled the check and put a hold on my account until that amount was equal to the time off but they canceled the check so I never received any payment and no other payments were being sent out. It took months to get anything from them. I’m going into another surgery from that car accident, just over a year later. This time around, my paperwork keeps getting lost. It has been a month and they have yet to get it together. Every once in a while you will get the one guy that does his job when you call. For weeks I’ve been calling to see if they have received my paperwork. I am always told there is nothing in my file.

I call my doctor and verify the dates they sent it to the Standard and have been given the fax confirmations proving the standard should have it. So I ask everyday if it’s in their inbox and am told it isn't. I finally got the guy that is willing to look at the inbox and sure enough he found the paperwork on the days that my doctor sent them. This company is supposed to help people but they are to lazy to do anything. If their employees could check the fax inbox they would have a lot less issues. The Standard needs to do employee evaluations and get rid of the incompetent ones so that they stop messing with peoples livelihoods. I’ve lost thousands of dollars due to this company. When you are injured and sick the last thing you need is to not be able to pay your bills because someone refuses to actually do their job. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

I applied by phone as provided by my employer. I received a letter that I qualified for FMLA but not disability. To file for NJ state disability. I tried because I didn't know better. 4 days later and several phone calls a day later, only to find that my employer has private disability and of COURSE I qualify, but the company had to further review and approve. Then the disability was extended from 4 weeks to 6, and I had to wait for further approval from The Standard. NO ONE knows what is going on when you call. When I said - my employer employs YOU, how do you not know its policies? The reply was that my employer is a fraction of the work they do, so they wouldn't know. Ridiculous reply.

They don't know what they are doing, they don't know what your employer's policies are, and they got my case WRONG from the start and it took 4 days of frustration to straighten it out. They act like you're a criminal for taking disability - this is the first disability I've had in 40 years. More than disgusted by this company. Shame on The Standard. Worst service.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

This insurance company has to be the most unreliable ever. I filed for paid leave on Oct 20 via email and Nov 2 of this year and both times I was told they never received it. After digging they finally found it but then said it wasn't complete. I ask when did they plan on reaching out to me. They stated they did. I told them I never got a call and if so why not leave a message. I also stated why not leave a email. I'm still going back and forth with them and after spending two hours on the cell with a rep nothing was accomplished. They not only lie to cover up the fact that they love to pass the buck on to the next rep. They are so unreliable. If your company is in business with these clowns, "Good luck." My dad has stage 4 cancer and I cant get them to approve my paperwork. I'm beginning to feel like it's a conspiracy.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I had to have surgery to to a chronic injury and had paid into short term disability with this company through my employer, @ the beginning I seemed to have high hopes that everything would work like it should being as though with the contract they have with my employer you have to wait 31 days before you even get paid which was fine, I had PTO to use, they sent 2 check in and then everything stopped. I have received nothing since they “claim” the faxes aren’t coming the day my doctor sends them which is untrue. You have to wait 5 days for them to review it then another 7-10 days for the check to me mailed and not direct deposit, this has been a horrible experience for me being a mother with 2 children!

Original review: July 26, 2021

When you pay for short-term disability that's for if you get sick or you have an illness or an accident. They make it so hard and so complicated and wants so much paperwork. How is the person expected to get all of this paperwork when they've been in an accident or they're in the hospital and they have no family members that can do the running around. They make you jump through hoops and bounds for pennies if you can even get it. I would never go with this company again and I hope my company dumps them along with a lot of other places that have them. The worst experience I've ever had especially when you're sick.

Original review: May 18, 2021

When my son was born, I applied for life insurance through my employer with Standard Insurance company. They took six months to make a decision, never communicated at all during the process. Trying to even get information about where to send the application was like pulling teeth. No confirmation they received anything, ever. In the end they denied the coverage for a very minor non-life threatening condition. My doctor isn't even concerned about it. I then applied for a policy with one of their competitors through my wife's employer. Completely different experience. Easy process, and approved in 3 days! I will never waste my time with Standard Insurance again, and have shared my experience with my employer who will hopefully find a better insurance company to deal with.

Original review: April 14, 2021

Why is 0 stars never an option. I am beyond disappointed and feel taken advantage of with this company. Every time I call and actually speak to someone I'm lied to. The claims rep assigned to me cannot seem to return my calls and neither can her manager. My money seems to be sent later and later every month. This means a world of headaches for me. No one seems to know what's going on and I'm stuck with late fees and overdraft fees, etc. Companies don't want to hear a sob story, they just want their money and so do I.

If you have another choice then choose another company. Here I am expecting direct deposit on the 6th, it's the 14th and still nothing. Not even a paper check. Don't piss on me and call it rain. Just do your job. At this point I really don't know what to do. Companies are sharks and they need to be held accountable to the consumers not their shareholders. It seems like they literally get away with anything and everything. They truly don't care because there's no sort of immediate repercussions for their actions. Goals need to be shifted and work loads need to be lessened in order to do a job fully and accurately. All of this may fall on deaf ears because everyone knows best but can't seem to get it right.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Almost impossible to find an in network provider. Most dentists will accept, but items "covered" are well below what the dentist charges. Even when we have found "in-network" dentists, they have withdrawn from network.

The Standard Insurance Company Company Information