3.3/5 (36 ratings)

About The Standard Insurance Company

The Standard Insurance Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Standard Insurance Company?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

This disability Insurance is a total waste of money. I did get a small, very small amount of money every month. Not enough to buy groceries much less medication. Once I got approved for SS I had to pay back every penny and they are still harassing me. It looks like I will have to call my attorney.

Original review: June 16, 2022

Absolutely criminal-deceitful. No one on this planet except someone insane, comatose or on their deathbed could meet their definition of disabled. This insurance has been paid for out of hard-working money over 15 years in expectations that it would be available when needed. They evaluate you over a piece of paper - no real doctor is looking at you and they don't take into consideration the doctor(s) you have been to or medical records. It is truly a scam, don't waste your money, don't pay for it, you are better off seeking assistance somewhere else. They don't care, they don't fight for you and they will never compensate you a dime of the money you paid in. This process will ruin your professional career, finances and your relationships.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2022

I went on leave from my teaching job due to anxiety issues. I had a stroke in 2019 and the job stressors created high anxiety for me and it affected me on my job, especially mentally. All paperwork and everything submitted to them in a timely manner. The lady/B. ** assigned to me was rude after I called every few days to check my claim status. After two months of them having everything they needed, she denied my claim and wouldn't return my calls or emails to explain why. A representative of Standard told me via phone it was denied because it wasn't job-related. I pay a lot of money monthly for this insurance that I could just keep in my pocket. I am highly upset and disappointed that a company would do this to people when we need it most. I wish I had seen all the bad reviews before giving them my money monthly! This company needs to shut down!

Original review: April 28, 2022

I am shocked that a company like this still exists, Management that hasn't updated contact information over 2 years, and email conversations with a adults with attitude problems that are unable to do simple math, downright ignored anything written in emails, then when I was instructed by my manager not to speak on the phone or waste any more of my time on emails to a certain person until it was resolved, the women called me repetitively - I had to leave my office for a period of time just to keep it from doing what my manager asked. I felt I was dealing with a child.

The best part of my experience is when they tried to blame it on the dental office (shifting blame REALLY??) and then told me this was a one time happened experience....until our CEO said his wife was having the same issue just days later....Guessss what shady people/company "The truth always finds its way to the surface."

Original review: April 14, 2022

I went out on disability in December. I had surgery. It was complications from the surgery. After four weeks I was transferred to a different doctor which I had to do another surgery to repair things that was tore up in the first surgery. All information was sent to The Standard. They cut off my disability. It made me wait for review, won’t answer my calls, just tells me it’s in review that is paid in closed and it’s in review. Worst insurance company I’ve ever dealt with. Terrible people. I don’t give a crap about you but I sure like getting your money when you’re paying them. I give them a 0 star if I had that option.

Original review: April 2, 2022

I had to apply for disability due to maternity. I had complications in my last month of pregnancy so my baby was born early via C-section in January. I Sent them everything from the hospital and they took so long to process paperwork. I was paid out for 6 weeks but I had a C-section so in order for me to get 8 weeks I have to apply for an extension. I sent them paperwork from my Dr and it’s been well past 10 business days. My rent is due and light bill. It’s just heart breaking because I’m not getting paid from my job and I have 3 other kids to feed.

Original review: March 31, 2022

NO STAR RATING. Our Doctor's office and I faxed & mailed in claim forms, medical records, itemized statements several times. Would receive letters that were dated (ex.) 1.5.22, showing mailed out 1.15.22 stating they need the information we have already sent with a due date of needing the info or it is declined 1.17.22. I have faxed, mailed Hosp. Indemnity Claim so we can get paid for my husband's hospital stay several times. They still say they haven't received it. My husband went back to work 2 weeks early because they did not send his last check he was to receive from being off work due to surgery to remove cancer. THEY ARE HORRIBLE TO DEAL WITH. DO NOT TAKE THIS INSURANCE!! THEY ONLY CAUSE SUFFERING!!!

Original review: March 7, 2022

I had surgery in October and have been out on disability since then. Unfortunately, I had some complications and my disability was extended. The Standard sent me a letter by mail that was received over two weeks from when they decided they were reviewing my claim. Since then they have still not sent payment to me and state that they are waiting for my follow-up appointment with my neurologist. The “senior analyst” who does not have a medical background is making decisions on my eligibility for disability and refuses to acknowledge the disability statement from my doctor. Money is already tight as I am living off of a reduced paycheck but now they are withholding my money. This is criminal behavior and not something you put someone through when they are trying to recover!! Shame on them. I am lucky enough to next school year switch back to American Fidelity. This company’s customer service is so horrible and rude!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I was off work for 5 weeks+ with no income. They lost paperwork that was faxed numerous times. Finally a check dated 1-11-2022. It's now 1-17-2022 & no check had been seen. I hated my experience. 0 stars.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

What a miserable company to do business with! T ** was the most incompetent, incoherent employee to deal with. I had tried to cancel my policy, they didn’t respond and then claimed overpayment. I proved actually underpayment!

The Standard Insurance Company Company Information