3.8/5 (167 ratings)

About Safeco Homeowners

Safeco provides home and auto insurance policies. Its homeowners insurance lets customers choose their own deductibles, and the company has discount programs for qualifying policyholders, including those who have multiple policies. Its standard coverage plan is fairly limited, but Safeco does offer several add-on policy options.

Pros

• Multipolicy options
  • Discount programs available
  • Choose your deductible

Cons

• Limited standard coverage
  • Low customer ratings

Bottom Line

Safeco offers standard home insurance coverage with multiple add-on options. It also has discount opportunities and multipolicy advantages. However, its standard coverage might be too limited for some homeowners.

Top Safeco Homeowners Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They have been very helpful and very convenient to use. They are also not as expensive as other home insurance companies. They are always a great help when I call in to ask questi...

Verified

They have been great to have. Our house was damaged in a hail storm… We called our insurance agent here and they contacted Safeco for us… The representative was at our home the fi...

What is Safeco home insurance?

Safeco offers home insurance policies with customizable coverage options. As a policyholder, you can add extra coverage to its standard policies for instances like bodily harm on your property and additional living expenses in case of a loss. Safeco also provides car insurance policies, umbrella insurance and pet health coverage; these policies can be bundled with home insurance for a discount.

Safeco home insurance coverage

Homeowners interested in Safeco’s home insurance can begin by obtaining a free quote on the company website. This process requires completion of a questionnaire about your home, policy needs and geographical area.

You can also contact a local Safeco agent to get a detailed and accurate quote. These agents assist in finding additional coverage options and discounts, often leading to savings. You can ask your agent about adding coverage options like:

• Identity theft
  • Personal property replacement cost
  • Equipment breakdown
  • Valuable articles
  • Multipolicy and single deductible

Safeco home insurance quotes and rates

On average, Safeco’s rates for home insurance range anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 per month, depending on coverage type. However, you can lower these costs by taking advantage of Safeco’s discounts and policy bundles — by selecting a higher deductible, for instance, you can get better rates, or you can save up to 15% by combining your auto and home policies. Safeco also has discounts for multipolicy, pay-in-full and other programs.

Safeco home insurance FAQ

Does Safeco offer multiple policies?
Yes, Safeco’s home insurance can be combined with its other coverages.
Where is Safeco home insurance available?
Safeco’s home insurance is available nationwide. You can find a local Safeco agent to learn more about your coverage and policy options.
What does Safeco home insurance cover?
Safeco home insurance provides coverage for rebuilding costs associated with damages. It can also protect your belongings and guests, as well as cover unexpected living expenses, valuable articles and more. Safeco doesn’t cover damages from earthquakes and floods.
Who owns Safeco?
Safeco is owned by Liberty Mutual Group. The company became part of Liberty Mutual in September 2008.

Is Safeco a good home insurance company?

Safeco is a solid home insurance company for those who want core coverage with a handful of additional protection options. Its standard coverage is fairly limited, but its multiple discounts give you the opportunity to reduce your monthly bill. Ultimately, if you’re looking for basic insurance, Safeco might be ideal, but if you need extensive or highly specific coverage, you might find Safeco’s offerings limited.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

Spent over a month convincing my VA mortgage lender (Caliber Home Loans) that my amortized mortgage payment was sent to Safeco, thus my policy should be active and I should be able to submit a claim for storm damage that occurred to my home. Finally proved that my payments were sent to Safeco and got my policy active after weeks of phone calls, etc, and then Safeco then declines to pay anything for my claim. Word of wisdom, If you get cheap scam insurance, don't expect them to pay for any damages, they will worm out of any payment. Pay a bit more to be treated like a paying customer versus paying a premium that returns basically nothing for you. I made the mistake of letting my mortgage lender (Caliber) choose my home owner policy (Safeco) for me, Don't let them choose for you, pick your own, you will be much better off and save a ton of grief and time.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I have never written a review on any institution, service industry establishment, or insurance company until now. I have been a customer of Safeco Insurance for many years because, I felt encouraged by the fact they are associated with my banking institution (I will not name). However, this is the second time I have been spoken to with a condescending attitude and this time it was insulting. I use to have a bundled policy with auto as well as homeowners coverage, but with comparison shopping found the auto insurance policy was merely double the amount of larger insurance carriers. After a review of my current claim, I still intend to file. In regards to their claims representative, both women I have spoken to are exceedingly rude. I am very disappointed in the customer service with the homeowners claim department has provided with handling two of my concerns.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I found out I was dropped by receiving a refund check in the mail. When I called my agent (who also wasn't aware of this), I found out that I'd been dropped for a porch issue I was already in the process of fixing. Once fixed I sent proof that the problem was resolved. They then claimed that they wouldn't take me back because of the age of my house. This wasn't an issue when I first got the policy. I am so unhappy with the way I was treated. If you have a historic home, even if it's been updated like mine has been, do not go with this company.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

Purchased policy with new home, title company sent them a check for first year's premium, they sent it back to the title company uncashed. Meanwhile, lender insures me because I have no coverage. By the time I find out about this from the title company, Safeco wants premium AND a fee to "re-instate" policy. One month later they want another $158 because I "let my policy lapse" and my rate went up. All because they failed to process the check they were sent on the day my home sale closed. Five phone calls to them and even when their agents admitted they screwed up, no one could fix it. Cancelled them after the last call. Horrible horrible customer service.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

Our house had a new roof in 2017. In May 2020 there was a 2.5" diameter hailstone storm. We didn't file a claim until December 2020 when a roofer examined the roof and provided detailed evidence of damage with many photographs. Roof had obvious divots throughout. The Safeco company adjustor disagreed vehemently, picked a portion of the roof under a tree as his sample "right" and denied claim saying roof only had "blistering" by unknown cause. Roofer said worst damage claims response he had ever seen. We were successful in replacing other rental property roofs insured with another company using this same roofer and his submitted evidence. We challenged the finding with SAFECO and a claim for $1100 was issued which no roofer would accept because damage was all over roof, they couldn't touch it for so low a price. Then we were told that our house wasn't insurable at renewal time, with an outstanding claim.

Agent was either negligent or purposely allowed this "poison pill" outcome from the company. In a panic we renewed an incorrect policy (rental versus homeowners insurance) online to be sure house stayed insured. Fortunately we were able to secure homeowners insurance the next year by changing company and agent. I will never insure under SAFECO again. The agent and the claims adjuster put us in an untenable position.

Original review: July 28, 2021

No adjuster would come out and actually see damage on my brand new house. They just estimated it by pictures then no one is ever there to answer phone. And adjusters are not very professional. I was told this was good place to trust but I don't know now. Very unsatisfied.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I have not had to place a claim so I cannot say how their customer service is, but the cost is very reasonable for good coverage. Their website is easy and convenient to use to check your policy details.

Original review: June 12, 2021

I am very happy with Safeco. I have only had the homeowners policy for one year and it saved me almost $900 in comparison to other carriers. Unfortunately there are some additional endorsements aren't available through Safeco's homeowner policy.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I have been with Safeco for many years. They have great coverage and their rates are very reasonable. The times that I have spoken with them they have been extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and courteous. Luckily I have never had to file a claim with them. But if I ever do I am sure I will be treated fairly and in an expeditious manner.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I have been with Safeco for a few years. I got sick with Covid and was sick for a month and a half and I ask for an extension from 15th to the 22nd. Being sick still, I trusted everything was going okay and they had taken the 164.00 from my bank account only for my son to hand me mail where my bank had written to me that Safeco stated I had called and canceled my policy. A extension is not a cancellation. I won't write names out of respect but lady 1 tells me it was my broker who canceled, that was a lie. The broker lost her business four years ago. She transferred me to lady 2. She placed me on hold, comes back and said she had called broker and had given my name and number but she did try and restart my policy while having me on hold. She tells me and provided the broker number. Safeco lied!!! I had to rush and get another policy because Safeco put me in a uncomfortable position by lying to my bank!!

Safeco Homeowners Company Information