Safeco Homeowners

Safeco Homeowners Reviews

About Safeco Homeowners

Safeco provides home and auto insurance policies. Its homeowners insurance lets customers choose their own deductibles, and the company has discount programs for qualifying policyholders, including those who have multiple policies. Its standard coverage plan is fairly limited, but Safeco does offer several add-on policy options.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Multipolicy options
  • Discount programs available
  • Choose your deductible
Cons
  • Limited standard coverage
  • Low customer ratings

Featured Reviews

Verified
Little Elm, TX

They have been very helpful and very convenient to use. They are also not as expensive as other home insurance companies. They are always a great help when I call in to ask questi...

Verified
Shreveport, LA

They have been great to have. Our house was damaged in a hail storm… We called our insurance agent here and they contacted Safeco for us… The representative was at our home the fi...

What is Safeco home insurance?

Safeco offers home insurance policies with customizable coverage options. As a policyholder, you can add extra coverage to its standard policies for instances like bodily harm on your property and additional living expenses in case of a loss. Safeco also provides car insurance policies, umbrella insurance and pet health coverage; these policies can be bundled with home insurance for a discount.

Safeco home insurance coverage

Homeowners interested in Safeco’s home insurance can begin by obtaining a free quote on the company website. This process requires completion of a questionnaire about your home, policy needs and geographical area.

You can also contact a local Safeco agent to get a detailed and accurate quote. These agents assist in finding additional coverage options and discounts, often leading to savings. You can ask your agent about adding coverage options like:

• Identity theft
  • Personal property replacement cost
  • Equipment breakdown
  • Valuable articles
  • Multipolicy and single deductible

Safeco home insurance quotes and rates

On average, Safeco’s rates for home insurance range anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 per month, depending on coverage type. However, you can lower these costs by taking advantage of Safeco’s discounts and policy bundles — by selecting a higher deductible, for instance, you can get better rates, or you can save up to 15% by combining your auto and home policies. Safeco also has discounts for multipolicy, pay-in-full and other programs.

Safeco home insurance FAQ

Does Safeco offer multiple policies?

Yes, Safeco’s home insurance can be combined with its other coverages.

Where is Safeco home insurance available?

Safeco’s home insurance is available nationwide. You can find a local Safeco agent to learn more about your coverage and policy options.

What does Safeco home insurance cover?

Safeco home insurance provides coverage for rebuilding costs associated with damages. It can also protect your belongings and guests, as well as cover unexpected living expenses, valuable articles and more. Safeco doesn’t cover damages from earthquakes and floods.

Who owns Safeco?

Safeco is owned by Liberty Mutual Group. The company became part of Liberty Mutual in September 2008.

Is Safeco a good home insurance company?

Safeco is a solid home insurance company for those who want core coverage with a handful of additional protection options. Its standard coverage is fairly limited, but its multiple discounts give you the opportunity to reduce your monthly bill. Ultimately, if you’re looking for basic insurance, Safeco might be ideal, but if you need extensive or highly specific coverage, you might find Safeco’s offerings limited.

Safeco Homeowners Reviews

Stars Rating

• 2%
  • 4%
  • 1%
  • 5%
  • 87%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?
    Claims Handling

Reviewed July 11, 2024

My name is Trygve **. We have insurance on a house that was vandalized. We've been almost a year trying to get the claim processed. We have been hustled from one adjuster to another. We even had to have a deposition done with an attorney for my wife and myself. And now they're hustling us to another claim adjuster who never contacted us. I've been trying to have contact me. And I left them a message over 2 weeks ago.

Profile pic of the author.
    Claims Handling

Reviewed June 24, 2024

Horrible company! They don't deserve even 1 star. We never missed a payment, never filed a claim and they sent us a nonrenewal notice after sending a drone, saying our roof was dirty. We had roofer come and inspect and clean the roof and send pictures that the roof was done. They still did not renew us. We just got a better policy for less money at All State. Don't waste your money at Safeco!!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingStaff

Reviewed June 18, 2024

If I could give a minus rating, I would. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! I had my auto and homeowners insurance with them for 20 years, and when I needed to file a claim, the company, ranging from customer service to adjusters, was awful. My auto rates kept going up, even though I had no accident for 15 years! When I did file an auto claim, the adjuster was never available and the adjusters manager had the nerve to tell me that they were doing me a favor by servicing my account! In an email, nonetheless! When I requested that this manager stop contacting me and that another manager be assigned to my claim, the arrogant manager contacted me yet again, to lie about how great their customer service was. I had to threaten to sue for harassment in order to get them to stop contacting me.

As for the homeowners' insurance, it was the same thing. Rates increased even though no claims were filed. These people sent out a vague letter saying that from their satellite view, my house was moldy and infected with bacteria and that it would need to be inspected. When I called to get more details on what was going on, the refused to answer my questions and said that they would not renew my homeowners insurance with two months left on it. I got auto and homeowners insurance the very next day and dumped Safeco like yesterday’s garbage. If you are smart, please stay away from this company!

Coverage

Reviewed May 15, 2024

Run away! Apparently Safeco doesn't cover your vehicles if they are damaged during a storm. Now, they cover other people's vehicles that are at your residence, just not the policyholder's vehicles! Absolutely the worst company I've ever encountered. My agent told me that if I filed a claim, it would probably be denied. Then said, "You can file one, but your rates will go up even though it's denied!"

Claims HandlingPrice

Reviewed May 3, 2024

Absolute HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE with Safeco.... Had to make a claim for water backup in basement of our home (after a decade of no claims) and they took 2.5 Months to pay half of the amount to fix everything and after I had to do absolutely everything to get bids from contractors and submit what it really would cost to fix. They took another month to give me a check for 3/4 of what it would cost to fix and then they cancelled me without paying the rest of MY MONEY!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT PAY YOU FOR A CLAIM!!!!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 12, 2024

I recently received a Non-pay cancellation letter from Safeco on a home I sold six months ago. I requested cancellation of the policy at that time. I just spent over 45 minutes trying to reach a live person regarding the letter. The phone number for the agent listed on the letter was to an insurance agency in Utah. They were confused as to why I was given that number as they don't write policies in Nevada where I am located. I then tried multiple phone numbers I found online for Safeco. None of the numbers I found would connect with a live customer service agent. I am just profoundly thankful I never had occasion to contact Safeco when they were active as my insurance co. I certainly would never consider them for my insurance needs in the future.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2024

Seeing the reviews for this company on here is something I wish I did before I followed the recommendation of my insurance guy. I had 3 properties covered by this company. Just fired them for all 3 and switched to USAA. In short, I had a catastrophic repair at my home and this company couldn't care in the slightest. No adjustor came out. The one I had assigned to me wasn't interested in helping me in the slightest. Essentially, I believe their policy is to say no to everything. They kept asking for pictures that we had already sent, over and over. They made zero effort. I told them I was going to cancel my policies with them, and they didn't flinch or attempt to retain me in anyway.

Customer ServiceClaims Handling

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2024

This company has bad customer service. We were with them for over 25 years and put a claim in. No adjuster came and looked at the damage and they went by what the company fixing it told them which was not right. I ask for a adjuster to come and look and was told there is no adjuster where I live. Well after talking to the adjuster for over a month which he would never return calls or emails. I finally recieved a email saying the claim was denied, I tried calling again and emailing but get nothing. So please be prepared to be treated like crap if you have this company for any insurance. PS we have 5 home owners policies with this company and today we will be looking for a new company.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2023

Unfortunately, this company is terrible with communication. I had them write me a homeowners policy and send me confirmation that the policy was in place and it was their job to reach out to the mortgage company so they can get paid. Well after 90 days they sent me a cancellation document and so when I reached out they claim that they were not at fault and that I had access to, their portal to receive communication. After sending them proof that I did not have access to that and that they had the right information and failed to reach out to the mortgage company, they refused to take blame and then said they would not reinstate without a penalty against me Stating that I didn’t have coverage any of those days even though I paid the first month out of my own pocket. Their escalation team is an absolute joke.

CoverageStaff

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2023

We recently made a change to Safeco to attempt to save some money and felt the offer they made was superior to our old company. We completed all paperwork and received confirmation the new policy was bound. Within weeks, however, our agent was notified Safeco was canceling our policy due to a prior claim nearly three years ago. Apparently, their underwriters neglected to consider this prior to approving our coverage. We are now scrambling to find coverage for our home.

The only notification we received from Safeco was a one sentence letter and a partial refund check. No explanation was given directly to us, and no end date of coverage was provided. These people are crooks!

Safeco Homeowners Company Information