3.30/5
Based on 30 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 18, 2018

30 Safeco Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

We had hail and wind damage related to the 12-26-2015 tornado. Having heard about problems filing a claim I contacted a private adjustor. Eventually I required over 4 inspections of the roof and Safeco was playing hardball and denying I had any damage even though everyone said we did. A metal vent looked like a Native American had done a war dance using steel heels. Every window sealant trim had damage and the paint on the end of the garage looked like it had measles where hail removed paint. They forced arbitration and the adjustors met and only the company adjustor inspected the roof and my adjustor did not. They said I had 50% damage but refused to show me or tell me where. I only got 1/2 half of a roof.

Every one of my neighbours have received new roofs related to the same loss. If you have Safeco, change now or you will forever regret it should you have a storm loss. Upset, I was not represented well and the Texas State board of insurance does not care. You have no idea the comments you get when calling them to see how to report a problem. The lobbyists are in control, they have the money. and the state readily accepts it. I have been in insurance for over 40 years and have never had opportunity to experience such shabby service.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Had a hail claim in Colorado Springs with considerable damage. Safeco lowballed everything (I had another house damaged at the same time but with a different company so I could compare costs). The adjusters from LA only wanted to argue; they were arrogant and condescending. Compared with the other house with damage, working with Safeco was a disaster. I had to get my agent involved to get results. Never again will do business with this company. Beware!

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

When Lakewood, Colorado had a devastating hail storm, we were not worried because we felt we had the right insurance and had kept our home updated and maintained. We were wrong! Safeco denied most of our hail damage claim and low balled us on the items they did pay. Very poor service and we are out over $25,000.00 for a new roof.

Original review: June 30, 2017

They first forced us to file 2 claims on same damage instead of letting us add them together. Then when we rented our property & switched to a landlord policy they charged us double for having 2 claims so similar so close together. They mailed my refund to my tenants instead of updated address. I found better coverage & now they are holding my refund payment for 14 days. They were rude & very unreliable. I would never use them again or recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

Safeco homeowners rejected my claim totally but agreed to pay after talking to a lawyer we hired. They paid one-third of the damage which were entitled to us without a lawyer. This is an old claim but I was urged to write a review now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

I have been with Safeco for more than 6 years with both homeowner and auto insurances. The hail damage claim was denied in 2014. I have kept on complaining from 2014 until 2015 and finally It was resolved. But then I received nonrenewal policy letter in 2016 with a unreal reason that the owner lacks of maintenance for the wood chimney that led to the leakage from the roof. It was not right because my house does not have any chimney. Secondly, the same loss issue was then counted in three different claims. The policy was denied to be renewed. Also my online information including claim information was cleared out completely even the policy is still in active until now. I contact Safeco but the representatives passed me back to agents and then the agents refused to correct and they blamed back on Safeco for those misled information issues.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

Filed claim after lightning hit our home. We have never made a claim before, the service was awful. First 2 agents would not even call us back and kept telling us things that would happen - that never did. Come to find out the 3rd agent told us we were put on a "fast track" and that is why no one was coming out to assess damages. OMG!!! 3rd agent (5 days later) came to inspect and the pipe burst when the AC guy they had us use attempted to get AC working. Now on our 4th AGENT!!!! Insane and are living in a hotel with children. TERRIBLE service. WE ARE AMAZED at how poorly this process is working!!! REALLY NOTHING WE CAN DO BUT document everything and wait...

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

I have had no problems with them. We have had no claims so no experience in that. Our premiums have remained consistent, which makes us very happy. They also have our auto insurance, thus we are able to save with that also.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I've never used the company for a claim, so I really can't say much about their payments. But I am pleased with the service when there was a problem on a bill. (Of course, it would have been better if they hadn't made the billing error in the first place!)

Original review: Jan. 2, 2016

I have never had a problem with the insurance I have and umbrella to have pretty good protection. I pay by the year to save money. No other complaints. I love this company.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2015

So far I am very happy with Safeco. I have only had it for a few months, but I saved almost $1000 from my previous carrier. They have a variety of payment plans available. And this was the first company that I was able to combine the Homeowners and Auto with the same company and take advantage of a multi policy discount. We have a log home in Montana and most carriers would not cover us. I can't speak to their claim service because there have not been any claims.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

The customer service is great. We haven't had to use the policy but when we have questions they are very responsive. We switched jobs and wanted to make sure we had enough coverage. Safeco also spend time discussing our personal property to make sure there weren't any surprises if something happened. We had leak that was not covered by insurance but SAFECO helped us source a company that could fix it.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

I have never filed a claim and they have been fair so far with renewals and prices. Their monthly payment and fee is reasonable so I keep them. It's a hassle to change and I have no need to right now.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

We have not really had any interaction with our insurance company regarding our homeowner's policy. We have only had it for a short amount of time. We switched from Farmers to Safeco this past year because my husband's cousin was starting a new insurance agency and he needed a certain number of policies.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2015

Safeco is an affordable insurance company. They send me my billing statement twice a year outlining all the specifics and if there is a price increase or decrease. I also receive a discount by bundling my auto insurance with them.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

Just okay with our homeowners insurance with Safeco and really don't have any plans to switch. Have had Safeco for many years now, they have fair rates and good coverage.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

I have only had Safeco for a year and I have not filed any claims so it is hard for me to rate them. My policy is cheaper than with my former company.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

I like Safeco and have never had any issues with my homeowners insurance. I did switch my auto as rates went up drastically with no notification, which was upsetting. I just have too many policies to switch to another provider.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2015

I had a bathroom overflow that flooded the house. Safeco sent the people out immediately took care of everything even getting a hotel that took pets. They were extremely helpful. I would definitely recommend them. I also have them as my auto ins. They are always there when you need them.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I have no trouble with Safeco. We had insurance with them for probably 14 years and have filed one claim years ago and it was looked after quickly.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

I have never had to file a claim on my homeowner's insurance and hopefully, I never will. The company offers a large discount since our vehicles are also insured there. They send out renewal notices well in advance of the actual bill which allows plenty of time to budget for the annual premium. I choose the annual payment option to save additional money on the premium. My agent speaks highly of this company and insurance is one of those things you do not want too much knowledge of. If you know all about the company, then you have had contact/claims. I'll just pay for the peace of mind. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

I went to Safeco because the rate they charged was less than what I was paying. I haven't had to file any claims or anything so really can't say more about them other than the rate was lower than I'd been paying.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

I recently filed a claim with Safeco for damage that occurred from the harsh winter weather. They were very receptive and paid claim promptly without any problems.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

I have used this insurance company for many years. They have excellent customer service and agents who will find you the best possible insurance for your needs at a cost that is most affordable, and if you have to make a claim it is fast.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

They have been great to have. Our house was damaged in a hail storm earlier in the year. We called our insurance agent here and they contacted Safeco for us about the damage done. The representative was at our home the first thing in the morning to see the damage that was done. He was so nice and my husband was very happy to see him. The agent gave our house a very good going over and also our gazebo's roof, damage done to my husband's shop and anything else out where it was harmed in any way.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

They have been very helpful and very convenient to use. They are also not as expensive as other home insurance companies. They are always a great help when I call in to ask questions. Also, whenever there is a claim due to damage from weather or other means, they are quick to cut a check after the required information is submitted. I would definitely recommend SAFECO to all homeowners! From a truly and real satisfied customer.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

I have not had any issues with them. They are quick and prompt. I would continue to use them and recommend them to my friends. Safeco is a very customer service oriented company and goes the distance for their customers. Unless they raise their rates I will continue to use them. Thank you for the chance to review them and pass the information on to others.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

Safeco insurance offers a variety of coverage for homeowners and premiums to match just about any income level that is affordable. My insurance premium is part of my mortgage payment and I like that. One payment to cover it all. The customer service reps are very helpful and pleasant.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

Have not had any problems with them. They respond quickly to any questions that I may have. Courteous and friendly whenever I call with a question and don't cut you short. They listen.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2015

Fairly happy with the insurance coverage we have. I think all insurance is overpriced, but we did get a fairly good deal with Safeco. Then when we added our cars, that helped lower our rates as well.

Safeco Homeowners expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Safeco is an insurance company that offers an array of insurance packages, including homeowners insurance. They help make obtaining homeowners insurance more affordable by offering discounts and monthly installment plans. Safeco is backed by Liberty Mutual Insurance, which is one of the top 100 largest U.S organizations.

• Tailored insurance: They provide customized home insurance packages, so every client gets coverage that is specific to his or her needs.

• Quick quotes: Safeco offers a homeowners' insurance quote in around five minutes and, in just a few minutes more, offer personalized coverage quotes.

• 24/7 claims assistance: There are service representatives available day and night, 365 days a year, to address all client questions and concerns.

• Flexible payments: They offer flexible payment options, so clients can either pay in full or spread the cost by paying monthly installments.

• Savings and discounts: Clients have the opportunity to save on their homeowners insurance bill by offering discounts wherever they can.

• Best for: Homeowners who want monthly installments and traditional homeowners.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky