Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

2. Homeowners
  3. Homeowners Insurance

3.9/5 (37 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Safeco Homeowners

Safeco provides home and auto insurance policies. Its homeowners insurance lets customers choose their own deductibles, and the company has discount programs for qualifying policyholders, including those who have multiple policies. Its standard coverage plan is fairly limited, but Safeco does offer several add-on policy options.

Pros

• Multipolicy options
  • Discount programs available
  • Choose your deductible

Cons

• Limited standard coverage
  • Low customer ratings

Bottom Line

Safeco offers standard home insurance coverage with multiple add-on options. It also has discount opportunities and multipolicy advantages. However, its standard coverage might be too limited for some homeowners.

Top Safeco Homeowners Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They have been very helpful and very convenient to use. They are also not as expensive as other home insurance companies. They are always a great help when I call in to ask questi...

Verified

They have been great to have. Our house was damaged in a hail storm… We called our insurance agent here and they contacted Safeco for us… The representative was at our home the fi...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

What is Safeco home insurance?

Safeco offers home insurance policies with customizable coverage options. As a policyholder, you can add extra coverage to its standard policies for instances like bodily harm on your property and additional living expenses in case of a loss. Safeco also provides car insurance policies, umbrella insurance and pet health coverage; these policies can be bundled with home insurance for a discount.

Safeco home insurance coverage

Homeowners interested in Safeco’s home insurance can begin by obtaining a free quote on the company website. This process requires completion of a questionnaire about your home, policy needs and geographical area.

You can also contact a local Safeco agent to get a detailed and accurate quote. These agents assist in finding additional coverage options and discounts, often leading to savings. You can ask your agent about adding coverage options like:

• Identity theft
  • Personal property replacement cost
  • Equipment breakdown
  • Valuable articles
  • Multipolicy and single deductible

Safeco home insurance quotes and rates

On average, Safeco’s rates for home insurance range anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 per month, depending on coverage type. However, you can lower these costs by taking advantage of Safeco’s discounts and policy bundles — by selecting a higher deductible, for instance, you can get better rates, or you can save up to 15% by combining your auto and home policies. Safeco also has discounts for multipolicy, pay-in-full and other programs.

Safeco home insurance FAQ

Does Safeco offer multiple policies?
Yes, Safeco’s home insurance can be combined with its other coverages.
Where is Safeco home insurance available?
Safeco’s home insurance is available nationwide. You can find a local Safeco agent to learn more about your coverage and policy options.
What does Safeco home insurance cover?
Safeco home insurance provides coverage for rebuilding costs associated with damages. It can also protect your belongings and guests, as well as cover unexpected living expenses, valuable articles and more. Safeco doesn’t cover damages from earthquakes and floods.
Who owns Safeco?
Safeco is owned by Liberty Mutual Group. The company became part of Liberty Mutual in September 2008.

Is Safeco a good home insurance company?

Safeco is a solid home insurance company for those who want core coverage with a handful of additional protection options. Its standard coverage is fairly limited, but its multiple discounts give you the opportunity to reduce your monthly bill. Ultimately, if you’re looking for basic insurance, Safeco might be ideal, but if you need extensive or highly specific coverage, you might find Safeco’s offerings limited.

Safeco Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?

Original review: July 28, 2021

No adjuster would come out and actually see damage on my brand new house. They just estimated it by pictures then no one is ever there to answer phone. And adjusters are not very professional. I was told this was good place to trust but I don't know now. Very unsatisfied.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I have not had to place a claim so I cannot say how their customer service is, but the cost is very reasonable for good coverage. Their website is easy and convenient to use to check your policy details.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2021

I am very happy with Safeco. I have only had the homeowners policy for one year and it saved me almost $900 in comparison to other carriers. Unfortunately there are some additional endorsements aren't available through Safeco's homeowner policy.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I have been with Safeco for many years. They have great coverage and their rates are very reasonable. The times that I have spoken with them they have been extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and courteous. Luckily I have never had to file a claim with them. But if I ever do I am sure I will be treated fairly and in an expeditious manner.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I have been with Safeco for a few years. I got sick with Covid and was sick for a month and a half and I ask for an extension from 15th to the 22nd. Being sick still, I trusted everything was going okay and they had taken the 164.00 from my bank account only for my son to hand me mail where my bank had written to me that Safeco stated I had called and canceled my policy. A extension is not a cancellation. I won't write names out of respect but lady 1 tells me it was my broker who canceled, that was a lie. The broker lost her business four years ago. She transferred me to lady 2. She placed me on hold, comes back and said she had called broker and had given my name and number but she did try and restart my policy while having me on hold. She tells me and provided the broker number. Safeco lied!!! I had to rush and get another policy because Safeco put me in a uncomfortable position by lying to my bank!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

For six months, Safeco has been unable to get my billing correct. They are supposed to be paid from my credit card and escrow with my mortgage company. Neither is happening. They don’t bill, then they cancel the accounts, then they send letters threatening me with collections. Customer service is nonexistent, they just say contact the agent.

I have never seen such disarray with an insurance company as this. These are basic tasks. What in the world is so hard about them that this company can’t get them done? This has been an absolute nightmare. I can only imagine the mess if I ever had to file a claim. I’m leaving them and will advise everyone else to avoid them. I cannot and will not worry whether or not I’m insured. And I shouldn’t have to.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

In September I called Safeco's general number and requested a quote. I was sent one via e-mail and decided to go with another carrier (StateFarm). Two months later I began receiving past due notices stating that premiums had not been paid. How the hell was a policy even opened without my consent? I called to complain to Safeco and the response? "We're not sure how that happened." In a day and age where large financial institutions such as Wells Fargo have been caught illegally opening accounts on consumers' behalf without their consent, I found this completely alarming. Do not trust Safeco - they clearly are up to fishy business.

Resolution response: Oct. 23, 2020

After not hearing from Safeco for a month, they came through and paid for the repairs on my roof. I had given up! But I am very happy that the payment came though!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Two large parts of my roof blew off in a recent windstorm in Albuquerque, and I have some interior water damage as well. Initially, my experience with Safeco customer service was good: they responded in a timely manner, sent out someone to tarp my roof (though he only tarped one area), and sent their estimator out quickly. But, Safeco really lowballed the cost to repair the damages. They're claiming that the repairs are less than my deductible. A local reputable roofer gave me a quote that is four times as much as Safeco says the damages are. My roofer is shocked that they aren't covering the cost of the damages. And Safeco said they would be in touch regarding the interior water damage, but they haven't gotten back to me. How is this legal? I can't believe what a scam this is. I'm lucky that I can afford to repair my roof, but what about the people who can't? I'm switching to another insurance company as soon as I can.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I am a RN working during the pandemic. Safeco rep made a billing error 2.5 years ago and is forcing me to pay all of those premiums in one year. Their “presidential team”? Samantha ** did not hear me and recorded errors in her email about what I said. No acknowledgement of errors despite trying to correct this by email and phone. Terrible service. They can’t even apologize for their errors.

Original review: July 4, 2020

This experience with Safeco has been a nightmare. The buck has been passed so many times that I have lost count. Water damage in 12 different places in the interior of a rental home (luckily the house was unrented at the time) resulted from storms during roof installation and resulted in soggy carpets, soaked dry wall in ceiling and walls, buckling floors, damaged hardwood flooring. The adjuster coming to see the damage approximately two weeks after it occurred recommended a low ball amount of money to repair. It would seem that he didn't understand the nature of water and the damage it causes traveling in a line throughout the entire eastern side of the house, but I find that difficult to believe.

Two months after the damage I was advised by a contractor it was not safe for me to spend time in the house due to toxicity caused by mold and mildew. I am now into the tenth month of negotiation for payment. I have received what I consider to be partial payment, but have had to claw and prod for every cent I have received. Furthermore, I have written to CEO's of both Safeco and Liberty Mutual on June 5 with no response. I would think that these companies would have a person or persons in the corporate office to deal with unhappy customers. Avoid Safeco.

Safeco Homeowners Company Information