Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.14/5

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Safeco Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?

Resolution response: Oct. 23, 2020

After not hearing from Safeco for a month, they came through and paid for the repairs on my roof. I had given up! But I am very happy that the payment came though!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Two large parts of my roof blew off in a recent windstorm in Albuquerque, and I have some interior water damage as well. Initially, my experience with Safeco customer service was good: they responded in a timely manner, sent out someone to tarp my roof (though he only tarped one area), and sent their estimator out quickly. But, Safeco really lowballed the cost to repair the damages. They're claiming that the repairs are less than my deductible. A local reputable roofer gave me a quote that is four times as much as Safeco says the damages are. My roofer is shocked that they aren't covering the cost of the damages. And Safeco said they would be in touch regarding the interior water damage, but they haven't gotten back to me. How is this legal? I can't believe what a scam this is. I'm lucky that I can afford to repair my roof, but what about the people who can't? I'm switching to another insurance company as soon as I can.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I am a RN working during the pandemic. Safeco rep made a billing error 2.5 years ago and is forcing me to pay all of those premiums in one year. Their “presidential team”? Samantha ** did not hear me and recorded errors in her email about what I said. No acknowledgement of errors despite trying to correct this by email and phone. Terrible service. They can’t even apologize for their errors.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2020

This experience with Safeco has been a nightmare. The buck has been passed so many times that I have lost count. Water damage in 12 different places in the interior of a rental home (luckily the house was unrented at the time) resulted from storms during roof installation and resulted in soggy carpets, soaked dry wall in ceiling and walls, buckling floors, damaged hardwood flooring. The adjuster coming to see the damage approximately two weeks after it occurred recommended a low ball amount of money to repair. It would seem that he didn't understand the nature of water and the damage it causes traveling in a line throughout the entire eastern side of the house, but I find that difficult to believe.

Two months after the damage I was advised by a contractor it was not safe for me to spend time in the house due to toxicity caused by mold and mildew. I am now into the tenth month of negotiation for payment. I have received what I consider to be partial payment, but have had to claw and prod for every cent I have received. Furthermore, I have written to CEO's of both Safeco and Liberty Mutual on June 5 with no response. I would think that these companies would have a person or persons in the corporate office to deal with unhappy customers. Avoid Safeco.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I can’t write in 200 words about everything that happened. Stay as far away from this company as you can. Talk to contractors and the number one company that is the worst is Safeco also known as Liberty Mutual.

Original review: June 25, 2020

After a heavy snow there was damage to the roof of our well house. I called the claims number on my policy which I have had for over 12 years. I am in Washington and the adjuster was in Texas. He assured me he would help me with my claim. After many pictures and emails, I was told the claim was denied. When I asked for an explanation, he would not return my calls. A company review followed and the adjuster made up a list of voicemails he supposedly made. We are self quarantined and did not miss any calls and no calls were left on my machine. After reading other reviews on this site, I realize my experience is common. Do not buy insurance from Safeco. Put your money in the bank instead.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I have a wind damaged roof from a recent storm. All my neighbors filed claims and got new roofs, some of which have homeowners policies from companies that are notorious for not paying roof claims. Safeco denied my claim, said my roof wasn't installed properly, which isn't true. The "independent" inspector lifted shingles for nearly half an hour till he found one that had one bad nail, took a picture of that and said roof was installed wrong. To make things worse, the claims adjuster was very unprofessional, rude, a complete know-it-all (yet knows nothing) and uncaring. I have a roof inspection report when I bought the house, it was fine then. I'm not sure how this type of behavior isn't criminal, these inspection companies are clearly in bed with SafeCo to see everything their way. The roofing companies I have quotes from strongly disagree with the report, laughing out loud disagree.

I have to put a new roof on out of my pocket now. SafeCo won't ever cover a roof claim with their lying report and a new insurance company won't cover an existing storm damaged roof that isn't repaired. First claim and I've paid more in premiums over the years than the cost to replace the roof. What's disappointing is there doesn't seem to be any great home insurance companies based on these reviews. SafeCo deserves zero stars. I imagine SafeCo like Insuricare from Pixar's The Incredibles. The only way you'll be lucky enough to get good service is if you've got someone on the inside to help you. Otherwise, they are out to make money and don't care about their customers.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I've had Safeco Insurance for about 30 years. I absolutely love my agent. He is always extremely helpful and professional. I accidentally left my water running on hot in my utility room on the main floor with a daylight basement below. Needless to say half the house needed repair. They were amazing to work with. Even though the repairs were over $100,000, then fixed everything and put me up in an apartment for six months while repairs were being made and paid to move me there. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I had to file a claim due to a burst pipe. The excessive water then caused some damage to the piers under my home (cottage). I was told by Jennifer ** that my claim is approved and the water and mold issue would be addressed immediately. This is currently during the pandemic so everything is being done virtually. I had three estimates for the damage.

She then said I needed an engineer to write a report, a structural engineer. We had already had one go to our home due to the concern about the piers. He went back out to review what he saw (additional $700), that Jenn (our adjuster said we could use the same one) and wrote a report. Jennifer then said that she spoke with her manager and was told I had to use their company to evaluate my losses. They would not be using my estimates that I had, even though she had told me to get them. I said I would be willing to pick one with them but I would NOT allow a company that is affiliated with SAFECO to be the only one evaluating the damage as I don’t feel they would have my best interest in mind. She refused.

The next step was now they want two years of heating bills before they send anyone out to ensure that there was heat in the home, 2 years? This is the engineer company, not the insurance. Why would I be proving anything to a company who is supposed to be INDEPENDENT evaluations my heating system? I have called the manager for 3 days and not one refund call, his name is Tom **. Sadly I guess this will go to litigation. As mold continues to grow in my home with absolutely no resolution at hand. Do not choose SAFECO/Liberty Mutual, spend a little more and get a company that is accredited and reliable to help you when something happens!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

We signed up for Safeco because our agent said that it would be cheaper than Encompass. We agreed to take it. They agreed to insure our home at the same level that Encompass had insured it. When they came out to look at the house that said that they would only insure it at half the cost it has been insured for -- for the past ten years. It was a bait and switch tactic. I think the evaluator was on something when he came out to take pictures. Be careful of these sleuths, they will burn you.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I made a appliance claim. Our representative doesn't answer my calls or emails. Worst representative ever!!! I paid for the repairs myself and quit trying to get Safeco to pay for repairs. They were of no help whatsoever!!!

Safeco Homeowners author review by Matthew Brodsky

Backed by Liberty Mutual, this insurance company has a financial strength rating of A from AM Best. Quotes are only available by speaking with a local agent, but the company has 24/7 claims assistance. The company also offers auto insurance, landlord insurance and umbrella insurance.

• Cost: The average annual cost for Safeco homeowners insurance is about $2,000. Homes with a lower valuation trend closer to $1,600, while more expensive homes can have annual premiums closer to $2,500.

• Plans and coverage: Safeco homeowners insurance commonly covers temporary housing, personal property, equipment breakdown, valuables and identity theft recovery.

• Discounts: Safeco has discounts for bundling, homes less than 10 years old, home protection devices and living near a fire station.

• Availability: Safeco writes policies in 46 states, but it isn’t available in Delaware, Hawaii, New Jersey, Rhode Island or Washington, D.C.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor