Safeco Homeowners

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have been with Safeco for more than 6 years with both homeowner and auto insurances. The hail damage claim was denied in 2014. I have kept on complaining from 2014 until 2015 and finally It was resolved. But then I received nonrenewal policy letter in 2016 with a unreal reason that the owner lacks of maintenance for the wood chimney that led to the leakage from the roof. It was not right because my house does not have any chimney. Secondly, the same loss issue was then counted in three different claims. The policy was denied to be renewed. Also my online information including claim information was cleared out completely even the policy is still in active until now. I contact Safeco but the representatives passed me back to agents and then the agents refused to correct and they blamed back on Safeco for those misled information issues.

Filed claim after lightning hit our home. We have never made a claim before, the service was awful. First 2 agents would not even call us back and kept telling us things that would happen - that never did. Come to find out the 3rd agent told us we were put on a "fast track" and that is why no one was coming out to assess damages. OMG!!! 3rd agent (5 days later) came to inspect and the pipe burst when the AC guy they had us use attempted to get AC working. Now on our 4th AGENT!!!! Insane and are living in a hotel with children. TERRIBLE service. WE ARE AMAZED at how poorly this process is working!!! REALLY NOTHING WE CAN DO BUT document everything and wait...

I have had no problems with them. We have had no claims so no experience in that. Our premiums have remained consistent, which makes us very happy. They also have our auto insurance, thus we are able to save with that also.

I've never used the company for a claim, so I really can't say much about their payments. But I am pleased with the service when there was a problem on a bill. (Of course, it would have been better if they hadn't made the billing error in the first place!)

I have never had a problem with the insurance I have and umbrella to have pretty good protection. I pay by the year to save money. No other complaints. I love this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

So far I am very happy with Safeco. I have only had it for a few months, but I saved almost $1000 from my previous carrier. They have a variety of payment plans available. And this was the first company that I was able to combine the Homeowners and Auto with the same company and take advantage of a multi policy discount. We have a log home in Montana and most carriers would not cover us. I can't speak to their claim service because there have not been any claims.

The customer service is great. We haven't had to use the policy but when we have questions they are very responsive. We switched jobs and wanted to make sure we had enough coverage. Safeco also spend time discussing our personal property to make sure there weren't any surprises if something happened. We had leak that was not covered by insurance but SAFECO helped us source a company that could fix it.

I have never filed a claim and they have been fair so far with renewals and prices. Their monthly payment and fee is reasonable so I keep them. It's a hassle to change and I have no need to right now.

We have not really had any interaction with our insurance company regarding our homeowner's policy. We have only had it for a short amount of time. We switched from Farmers to Safeco this past year because my husband's cousin was starting a new insurance agency and he needed a certain number of policies.

Safeco is an affordable insurance company. They send me my billing statement twice a year outlining all the specifics and if there is a price increase or decrease. I also receive a discount by bundling my auto insurance with them.

Just okay with our homeowners insurance with Safeco and really don't have any plans to switch. Have had Safeco for many years now, they have fair rates and good coverage.

I have only had Safeco for a year and I have not filed any claims so it is hard for me to rate them. My policy is cheaper than with my former company.

I like Safeco and have never had any issues with my homeowners insurance. I did switch my auto as rates went up drastically with no notification, which was upsetting. I just have too many policies to switch to another provider.

I had a bathroom overflow that flooded the house. Safeco sent the people out immediately took care of everything even getting a hotel that took pets. They were extremely helpful. I would definitely recommend them. I also have them as my auto ins. They are always there when you need them.

I have no trouble with Safeco. We had insurance with them for probably 14 years and have filed one claim years ago and it was looked after quickly.

I have never had to file a claim on my homeowner's insurance and hopefully, I never will. The company offers a large discount since our vehicles are also insured there. They send out renewal notices well in advance of the actual bill which allows plenty of time to budget for the annual premium. I choose the annual payment option to save additional money on the premium. My agent speaks highly of this company and insurance is one of those things you do not want too much knowledge of. If you know all about the company, then you have had contact/claims. I'll just pay for the peace of mind. Thank you.

I went to Safeco because the rate they charged was less than what I was paying. I haven't had to file any claims or anything so really can't say more about them other than the rate was lower than I'd been paying.

I recently filed a claim with Safeco for damage that occurred from the harsh winter weather. They were very receptive and paid claim promptly without any problems.

I have used this insurance company for many years. They have excellent customer service and agents who will find you the best possible insurance for your needs at a cost that is most affordable, and if you have to make a claim it is fast.

They have been great to have. Our house was damaged in a hail storm earlier in the year. We called our insurance agent here and they contacted Safeco for us about the damage done. The representative was at our home the first thing in the morning to see the damage that was done. He was so nice and my husband was very happy to see him. The agent gave our house a very good going over and also our gazebo's roof, damage done to my husband's shop and anything else out where it was harmed in any way.

They have been very helpful and very convenient to use. They are also not as expensive as other home insurance companies. They are always a great help when I call in to ask questions. Also, whenever there is a claim due to damage from weather or other means, they are quick to cut a check after the required information is submitted. I would definitely recommend SAFECO to all homeowners! From a truly and real satisfied customer.

I have not had any issues with them. They are quick and prompt. I would continue to use them and recommend them to my friends. Safeco is a very customer service oriented company and goes the distance for their customers. Unless they raise their rates I will continue to use them. Thank you for the chance to review them and pass the information on to others.

Safeco insurance offers a variety of coverage for homeowners and premiums to match just about any income level that is affordable. My insurance premium is part of my mortgage payment and I like that. One payment to cover it all. The customer service reps are very helpful and pleasant.

Have not had any problems with them. They respond quickly to any questions that I may have. Courteous and friendly whenever I call with a question and don't cut you short. They listen.

Fairly happy with the insurance coverage we have. I think all insurance is overpriced, but we did get a fairly good deal with Safeco. Then when we added our cars, that helped lower our rates as well.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Safeco is an insurance company that offers an array of insurance packages, including homeowners insurance. They help make obtaining homeowners insurance more affordable by offering discounts and monthly installment plans. Safeco is backed by Liberty Mutual Insurance, which is one of the top 100 largest U.S organizations.

• Tailored insurance: They provide customized home insurance packages, so every client gets coverage that is specific to his or her needs.
  • Quick quotes: Safeco offers a homeowners' insurance quote in around five minutes and, in just a few minutes more, offer personalized coverage quotes.
  • 24/7 claims assistance: There are service representatives available day and night, 365 days a year, to address all client questions and concerns.
  • Flexible payments: They offer flexible payment options, so clients can either pay in full or spread the cost by paying monthly installments.
  • Savings and discounts: Clients have the opportunity to save on their homeowners insurance bill by offering discounts wherever they can.
  • Best for Homeowners who want monthly installments and traditional homeowners.

Compare Homeowners Insurance