3.09/5
Based on 35 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

35 Safeco Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 4, 2018

Last year (2017) I submitted a claim for my roof damage (hail). It took a couple weeks but they sent an adjuster out to look at my roof. He didn’t check the main roof just a side eve and stated there was no damage, even though every other house on my block roofs were replaced from damage. He said my upper main roof is too high and he didn’t think it was safe to climb up there.

This year we had a retaining wall fall because of wind. The claim rep. I had for the damages was very short and unprofessional, he stated before seeing any pictures or getting much information at all that he highly doubts it’s covered. Once I got off the phone he sent an email stating it was caused by earths movement not wind and that they were unable to cover those types of damages. The adjuster determined this from a distant picture I took and never came out to look at what really happened. The adjuster will not return calls and only emails me back stating that the claim is declined and to use the costs to fix it as a write off on my taxes. I want to warn other people that this company will not pay claims and is a horrible company. We were Just glad we didn’t have a major loss such as our house because we already know that they would use any excuse in the book not to cover it. It’s just sad that companies such as this one exist.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Earth Day of 2016, a tree fell on my home due to high winds. I reported my claim 15 minutes after it happened. It took Safeco 19 days to respond. First demonstration of bad faith. The first adjuster to work this case stalled on sending an engineer to review the damage because he was trying to help Beal Bank gain ownership of my property when they had no legal right to it. He managed to get them paid $48K because they claimed to be my mortgage holder. NOTE: I did not have a mortgage, and I had been through probate and was awarded the home, free and clear. I notified Safeco of these facts, but they either did not check with the court or simply did not care to check because the adjuster in charge, Kent **, saw an opportunity of make a bit of extra money.

** sent his henchwoman, Mazandarani, to be the field adjuster. She brought with her a contractor from Protech. She misled me by stating that the contractor was in their network of preferred contractors and that if I used his services, I would be provided with a 3-year warranty on the work. End of job, no warranty from either Safeco or Protech.

Initially, my claim was for repair, but the scope of the project changed when it was determined I had no foundation. My home was built in 1923 and had a pier and beam foundation. Over the years, the house sank and from the kitchen back to the bedroom the house sat on the earth, suspended above it in the living room and bathroom. Because there was no poured foundation, repairs could not be made to my home until it was brought up to code. The adjuster and contractor decided my house AND storage unit had to come down, everything rebuilt from the ground up. Of course, there would likely be some cost overruns of about $20K, but we could discuss that later. NOTE: There was no structural damage done to my storage unit, but the adjuster claimed there was.

In December of 2017, my family was forced to move into a house that had no utilities, none of my personal goods, which were in storage, no gas line. When I contacted ** to tell him of my mistreatment, of Mazandarani's action, his only response was to tell me he was on vacation. This event happened over the holiday season. For the duration of the claim process, ** misled me to believe he was Mazandarani's supervisor. He is not, but he did not report her actions to her supervisor as they are working together to defraud me.

Protech was initially hired to complete repairs. When the scope of the project changed, I should have been advised by Mazandarani to select a new contractor, but that would have required me to use their contractors network, that says it monitors all work throughout the process. All work here was conducted without any external review by anyone except the inspectors from Building and Safety.

Protech had me sign a contract for repairs that was incomplete when given to me in that it did not have all of the pages attached and was not an original document, but a copied document. They also had me sign a pay schedule that was not adhered to at all. Protech also changed the amount they were charging to do the job, but never submitted any paperwork explaining why. Protech also stole all documents that were supposed to be left in the house when the work was completed. No invoices, receipts, or warranties are here and had I not opened a complaint with the Insurance Commission, they might have gotten away with stealing over $200K without anyone being the wiser.

In October 2017, I asked Mazandarani how much money was left in the account to pay for the work. I was prepared to go to the bank and get a HELOC to take care of any overage, but she would not answer my question. I found out on 6 March 2018 that there was $80K remaining of the $190K available. Protech charged $238K for this shoddy work. I cannot understand how this is so when there was not that amount of money remaining in the claim. They claimed they were paid in full. They submitted an estimate, not a final bill or final invoice. An estimate that netted them $190K when they had done less than $110K of work. My property value actually decreased.

The Insurance Commission investigation continues. The Contractors State License Board will investigate. My wish is that there was one honest person working for Safeco. It is a closed system. When you speak to their Presidential Service Team, they simply report everything you tell them to the people you have the complaint against. They even let them investigate themselves. That is what Kent ** is doing even after I fired him, Mazandarani, and Vince Paglia's Protech.

Everyone I have spoken to during this fiasco has mocked me, indirectly called me a liar, condescended to me. I have experienced not one whit of professionalism, unless it is the professional way they commit fraud and theft. Everything looks good from the outside, but inside and underneath are not what we have been led to believe is true. The water filter, which we were told is a whole house water filter, had no filter in the canister, and only filters hot water. The paint is coming off the eaves. Outdoor outlets were poorly installed and have gaps that will allow water to get into them. I have not had a stove for 5 months because they rearranged my kitchen, not following the plans, and I do not feel safe using the stove where they placed it.

I had a yard full of plants and flowers to support the pollinators, help with asthma, provide privacy, fruit and vegetables. My yard is now a large litter box because they killed virtually every living thing on the property. And they are ignoring my personal property claim that wasn't filed until Protech abandoned the project in December, when we were forced to move in and all of my goods that had been left on the property because we were only supposed to be out of home 3-6 months, were all gone. Much of what was taken were heavy steel and wrought iron pieces, including my fencing, that I suppose was taken for recycling. My Weber grills were taken, my security doors with privacy screens were taken, my gardening supplies thrown away, my 31-year old lemon tree was cut down with fruit on it. There is no intention to compensate me for this loss. Stay away from Safeco. They are ruthless, immoral, cruel, and seem proud to be so.

Safeco Homeowners 35 Reviews and Complaints - Read Before You Buy

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 12, 2018

This company will do anything not to cover claims and then once you are denied significantly raise your policy cost. After doing research I found they have a bad reputation and consumers warn against them. I am hoping to switch companies as soon as possible.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I was the one who had to keep calling for information and also the last call saying I was denied for repairs. Pretty sad when the adjuster didn't have the guts to call me.

Resolution response: June 1, 2018

Total confusion from me. The claim is not closed. I did not understand the agent properly. Received a phone call explaining the next steps and they actually apologized for the missed communication as did I.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Bathroom leak - At first they responded very quickly to get the house cleared of all the wet materials and I was very impressed. Then suddenly it was like they were in a rush to cut a check for the lowest amount possible and when I wanted them to hold off they informed me that after receiving estimates from local companies they can adjust their claim and send more. Next time I talked to them, I was told it was settled, even though the estimates I sent them showed their settlement would in no way make me whole. All before I even deposited their check. So now I will be needing to find a very inexpensive method of getting things replaced. Very disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?

Original review: May 18, 2018

We had hail and wind damage related to the 12-26-2015 tornado. Having heard about problems filing a claim I contacted a private adjustor. Eventually I required over 4 inspections of the roof and Safeco was playing hardball and denying I had any damage even though everyone said we did. A metal vent looked like a Native American had done a war dance using steel heels. Every window sealant trim had damage and the paint on the end of the garage looked like it had measles where hail removed paint. They forced arbitration and the adjustors met and only the company adjustor inspected the roof and my adjustor did not. They said I had 50% damage but refused to show me or tell me where. I only got 1/2 half of a roof.

Every one of my neighbours have received new roofs related to the same loss. If you have Safeco, change now or you will forever regret it should you have a storm loss. Upset, I was not represented well and the Texas State board of insurance does not care. You have no idea the comments you get when calling them to see how to report a problem. The lobbyists are in control, they have the money. and the state readily accepts it. I have been in insurance for over 40 years and have never had opportunity to experience such shabby service.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Had a hail claim in Colorado Springs with considerable damage. Safeco lowballed everything (I had another house damaged at the same time but with a different company so I could compare costs). The adjusters from LA only wanted to argue; they were arrogant and condescending. Compared with the other house with damage, working with Safeco was a disaster. I had to get my agent involved to get results. Never again will do business with this company. Beware!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

When Lakewood, Colorado had a devastating hail storm, we were not worried because we felt we had the right insurance and had kept our home updated and maintained. We were wrong! Safeco denied most of our hail damage claim and low balled us on the items they did pay. Very poor service and we are out over $25,000.00 for a new roof.

Original review: June 30, 2017

They first forced us to file 2 claims on same damage instead of letting us add them together. Then when we rented our property & switched to a landlord policy they charged us double for having 2 claims so similar so close together. They mailed my refund to my tenants instead of updated address. I found better coverage & now they are holding my refund payment for 14 days. They were rude & very unreliable. I would never use them again or recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

Safeco homeowners rejected my claim totally but agreed to pay after talking to a lawyer we hired. They paid one-third of the damage which were entitled to us without a lawyer. This is an old claim but I was urged to write a review now.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

I have been with Safeco for more than 6 years with both homeowner and auto insurances. The hail damage claim was denied in 2014. I have kept on complaining from 2014 until 2015 and finally It was resolved. But then I received nonrenewal policy letter in 2016 with a unreal reason that the owner lacks of maintenance for the wood chimney that led to the leakage from the roof. It was not right because my house does not have any chimney. Secondly, the same loss issue was then counted in three different claims. The policy was denied to be renewed. Also my online information including claim information was cleared out completely even the policy is still in active until now. I contact Safeco but the representatives passed me back to agents and then the agents refused to correct and they blamed back on Safeco for those misled information issues.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

Filed claim after lightning hit our home. We have never made a claim before, the service was awful. First 2 agents would not even call us back and kept telling us things that would happen - that never did. Come to find out the 3rd agent told us we were put on a "fast track" and that is why no one was coming out to assess damages. OMG!!! 3rd agent (5 days later) came to inspect and the pipe burst when the AC guy they had us use attempted to get AC working. Now on our 4th AGENT!!!! Insane and are living in a hotel with children. TERRIBLE service. WE ARE AMAZED at how poorly this process is working!!! REALLY NOTHING WE CAN DO BUT document everything and wait...

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

I have had no problems with them. We have had no claims so no experience in that. Our premiums have remained consistent, which makes us very happy. They also have our auto insurance, thus we are able to save with that also.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I've never used the company for a claim, so I really can't say much about their payments. But I am pleased with the service when there was a problem on a bill. (Of course, it would have been better if they hadn't made the billing error in the first place!)

Original review: Jan. 2, 2016

I have never had a problem with the insurance I have and umbrella to have pretty good protection. I pay by the year to save money. No other complaints. I love this company.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2015

So far I am very happy with Safeco. I have only had it for a few months, but I saved almost $1000 from my previous carrier. They have a variety of payment plans available. And this was the first company that I was able to combine the Homeowners and Auto with the same company and take advantage of a multi policy discount. We have a log home in Montana and most carriers would not cover us. I can't speak to their claim service because there have not been any claims.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

The customer service is great. We haven't had to use the policy but when we have questions they are very responsive. We switched jobs and wanted to make sure we had enough coverage. Safeco also spend time discussing our personal property to make sure there weren't any surprises if something happened. We had leak that was not covered by insurance but SAFECO helped us source a company that could fix it.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

I have never filed a claim and they have been fair so far with renewals and prices. Their monthly payment and fee is reasonable so I keep them. It's a hassle to change and I have no need to right now.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

We have not really had any interaction with our insurance company regarding our homeowner's policy. We have only had it for a short amount of time. We switched from Farmers to Safeco this past year because my husband's cousin was starting a new insurance agency and he needed a certain number of policies.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2015

Safeco is an affordable insurance company. They send me my billing statement twice a year outlining all the specifics and if there is a price increase or decrease. I also receive a discount by bundling my auto insurance with them.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

Just okay with our homeowners insurance with Safeco and really don't have any plans to switch. Have had Safeco for many years now, they have fair rates and good coverage.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

I have only had Safeco for a year and I have not filed any claims so it is hard for me to rate them. My policy is cheaper than with my former company.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

I like Safeco and have never had any issues with my homeowners insurance. I did switch my auto as rates went up drastically with no notification, which was upsetting. I just have too many policies to switch to another provider.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2015

I had a bathroom overflow that flooded the house. Safeco sent the people out immediately took care of everything even getting a hotel that took pets. They were extremely helpful. I would definitely recommend them. I also have them as my auto ins. They are always there when you need them.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I have no trouble with Safeco. We had insurance with them for probably 14 years and have filed one claim years ago and it was looked after quickly.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

I have never had to file a claim on my homeowner's insurance and hopefully, I never will. The company offers a large discount since our vehicles are also insured there. They send out renewal notices well in advance of the actual bill which allows plenty of time to budget for the annual premium. I choose the annual payment option to save additional money on the premium. My agent speaks highly of this company and insurance is one of those things you do not want too much knowledge of. If you know all about the company, then you have had contact/claims. I'll just pay for the peace of mind. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

I went to Safeco because the rate they charged was less than what I was paying. I haven't had to file any claims or anything so really can't say more about them other than the rate was lower than I'd been paying.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

I recently filed a claim with Safeco for damage that occurred from the harsh winter weather. They were very receptive and paid claim promptly without any problems.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

I have used this insurance company for many years. They have excellent customer service and agents who will find you the best possible insurance for your needs at a cost that is most affordable, and if you have to make a claim it is fast.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

They have been great to have. Our house was damaged in a hail storm earlier in the year. We called our insurance agent here and they contacted Safeco for us about the damage done. The representative was at our home the first thing in the morning to see the damage that was done. He was so nice and my husband was very happy to see him. The agent gave our house a very good going over and also our gazebo's roof, damage done to my husband's shop and anything else out where it was harmed in any way.

Safeco Homeowners expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Safeco is an insurance company that offers an array of insurance packages, including homeowners insurance. They help make obtaining homeowners insurance more affordable by offering discounts and monthly installment plans. Safeco is backed by Liberty Mutual Insurance, which is one of the top 100 largest U.S organizations.

• Tailored insurance: They provide customized home insurance packages, so every client gets coverage that is specific to his or her needs.

• Quick quotes: Safeco offers a homeowners' insurance quote in around five minutes and, in just a few minutes more, offer personalized coverage quotes.

• 24/7 claims assistance: There are service representatives available day and night, 365 days a year, to address all client questions and concerns.

• Flexible payments: They offer flexible payment options, so clients can either pay in full or spread the cost by paying monthly installments.

• Savings and discounts: Clients have the opportunity to save on their homeowners insurance bill by offering discounts wherever they can.

• Best for: Homeowners who want monthly installments and traditional homeowners.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky