Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.25/5

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Safeco Homeowners Reviews

Original review: May 15, 2020

I've had Safeco Insurance for about 30 years. I absolutely love my agent. He is always extremely helpful and professional. I accidentally left my water running on hot in my utility room on the main floor with a daylight basement below. Needless to say half the house needed repair. They were amazing to work with. Even though the repairs were over $100,000, then fixed everything and put me up in an apartment for six months while repairs were being made and paid to move me there. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I had to file a claim due to a burst pipe. The excessive water then caused some damage to the piers under my home (cottage). I was told by Jennifer ** that my claim is approved and the water and mold issue would be addressed immediately. This is currently during the pandemic so everything is being done virtually. I had three estimates for the damage.

She then said I needed an engineer to write a report, a structural engineer. We had already had one go to our home due to the concern about the piers. He went back out to review what he saw (additional $700), that Jenn (our adjuster said we could use the same one) and wrote a report. Jennifer then said that she spoke with her manager and was told I had to use their company to evaluate my losses. They would not be using my estimates that I had, even though she had told me to get them. I said I would be willing to pick one with them but I would NOT allow a company that is affiliated with SAFECO to be the only one evaluating the damage as I don’t feel they would have my best interest in mind. She refused.

The next step was now they want two years of heating bills before they send anyone out to ensure that there was heat in the home, 2 years? This is the engineer company, not the insurance. Why would I be proving anything to a company who is supposed to be INDEPENDENT evaluations my heating system? I have called the manager for 3 days and not one refund call, his name is Tom **. Sadly I guess this will go to litigation. As mold continues to grow in my home with absolutely no resolution at hand. Do not choose SAFECO/Liberty Mutual, spend a little more and get a company that is accredited and reliable to help you when something happens!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

We signed up for Safeco because our agent said that it would be cheaper than Encompass. We agreed to take it. They agreed to insure our home at the same level that Encompass had insured it. When they came out to look at the house that said that they would only insure it at half the cost it has been insured for -- for the past ten years. It was a bait and switch tactic. I think the evaluator was on something when he came out to take pictures. Be careful of these sleuths, they will burn you.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I made a appliance claim. Our representative doesn't answer my calls or emails. Worst representative ever!!! I paid for the repairs myself and quit trying to get Safeco to pay for repairs. They were of no help whatsoever!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

Worst claim ever filed. Took 8 months to settle and get home repaired. Resulting in my being out of pocket 2.5 times my deductible. Every week or two they change claim rep assigned, causing me to start over proving every detail each time. Claim handled by Liberty Mutual out of California office even though I am in Dallas area where they have a huge presence.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

My mother had some water damage in her home and called Safeco, her insurance company. They sent out a restoration company then an adjuster a week later. The restoration guy told her to close off the room and not to use a fan. This caused mold. The adjuster told her he didn't think Safeco would cover any of it. After a week of waiting for a call from Safeco, she called the restoration company who informed her Safeco was not going to pay. She never received a call from Safeco. I contacted Safeco and received a call from a claims manager who stated that there was a well hidden disclaimer stating that they would not cover water damage. Really? Why do we pay them a premium if they won't pay for damage? Anyway, she stated the policy was rather long and it's impossible for the homeowner to know all the disclaimers within the policy.

She also stated that the restoration company was not on their preferred vendor list, so any mold damage due to their recommendation would need to be taken up with them. Um...they sent this person! She then said that sometimes their agents know of local people and call them even if they are not on the preferred vendor list! Needless to say, they didn't pay anything for the damage. And, if I had not contacted them, we would still be waiting for that phone call from them!!

Original review: June 14, 2019

Aside from taking advantage of the elderly, Safeco also excels at not covering any damage they claim to, as well as raising your rates without notice, sometimes just because a call was made to their office. You’re literally better off burning cash in a bucket.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have owned my home for nearly 13 years. And those 13 years I've never once needed to make a claim until last summer when a 40-foot tree fell on my property. I called to see if they would help me with the cleanup fees and they did absolutely nothing for me. Apparently if it doesn't hit my home it's not covered by my property insurance. I got quotes to clean the tree up and it was nearly $5,000. I did all the work myself. This year I had a 40-foot limb fall on my pickup truck. It totaled the whole truck including cab and frame. Because I don't have full insurance on a 1984 pickup truck my insurance won't pay out one dime. Be sure to read the fine print people. This company does not pay out for anything. Waste of my time and money. I will be finding another insurer who actually provides Insurance when people need it.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Worse experience ever I got from Safeco insurance. Horrible. It's even not enough words to describe the company how unprofessional are they. When times come to charge your credit card they are first and foremost but solving your problem are the last. Please take my advice and find other insurance if you don't want faced unprofessional staff with is transferring other departments and at end without solving your problem hang on your face. Second: they using your information to insure other person. Be aware before you think to deal with them!!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Worse homeowner's insurance company I've EVER dealt with. They tried everything and anything they could to NOT give me house coverage. Should've known after they raised the rate after the initial quote without my knowledge. Would not recommend.

Safeco Homeowners author review by Matthew Brodsky

Backed by Liberty Mutual, this insurance company has a financial strength rating of A from AM Best. Quotes are only available by speaking with a local agent, but the company has 24/7 claims assistance. The company also offers auto insurance, landlord insurance and umbrella insurance.

• Cost: The average annual cost for Safeco homeowners insurance is about $2,000. Homes with a lower valuation trend closer to $1,600, while more expensive homes can have annual premiums closer to $2,500.

• Plans and coverage: Safeco homeowners insurance commonly covers temporary housing, personal property, equipment breakdown, valuables and identity theft recovery.

• Discounts: Safeco has discounts for bundling, homes less than 10 years old, home protection devices and living near a fire station.

• Availability: Safeco writes policies in 46 states, but it isn’t available in Delaware, Hawaii, New Jersey, Rhode Island or Washington, D.C.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor