Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.25/5

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Safeco Homeowners Reviews

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

SAFECO is convenient and trustworthy. They have good customer service. Their girls in office are always helpful, friendly and return calls quickly. They care about their clients, send claims adjusters promptly and pays claims in a timely fashion. But it would be helpful if SAFECO improved and had a more friendlier, easy and better website. Also SAFECO rates are high and after 40 years should have a loyalty discount. Moreover, I don't like that they are not following through, cheating and denying claims. Nevertheless, SAFECO has been our home and auto insurance for years. They've been in business a long time and they're known and respected.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I've been with Safeco a little over 7 years. Filed my first claim a LONG time ago and my house is still in the same condition. Little to no communication. Prepare yourself to do ALL the calling. Im overwhelmed, frustrated, tired, pissed, fed up and beyond furious with the way things have been handled. My insurance payout will only cover one of my 3 repairs. So, I'm left with deciding which "ONE" I want to have fixed and then paying out of pocket for the other two. My homeowner's insurance rate had ridiculously increased over the years and I cannot wait to cut ties with these **!

Ive had MANY contractors tell me Safeco is one of the hardest companies to work with. My adjuster told my contractor they were ONLY paying to patch the repair. Not give my home a makeover. What a ** bag!!! If you are considering doing business with Safeco PLEASE look elsewhere. If I would have known this process would be this difficult I would have NEVER chosen them. Run while you can, YOU ARE NOT SAFE WITH SAFECO!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Recently had a devastating hail storm in Woodland Park, CO. The Safeco represented claims adjuster grossly underestimated the cost to repair my roof by $2900. Furthermore, the claims rep completely missed four windows which had large amounts of condensation trapped between the double window panes the day after the storm event. These windows are on the side of the house that was hit hardest by the hail wind and rain. I got estimates for the windows from a Window contractor ($2800), and sent SafeCo high resolution pictures of the damage, along with the estimate. Despite me asking Safeco to send someone out again to take another look at my windows, they chose to do the inspection "In House", instead.

They denied my Window supplement claim, due to "age, wear and tear". This despite the fact that these windows never exhibited this problem until the day after the storm, and the person who denied my Window supplement has absolutely no idea how old the windows are - I don't even know myself, so there is no way for him to know. Absolutely disgusted with how I have been treated thus far, and how obvious these SafeCo reps go out of their way to side in favor of Safeco's best interest.

I've learned a lot of hard lessons, with this being my first big insurance claim. The biggest one being naive enough to think Safeco had my best interest in mind. But I will never make these mistakes again going forward. I have filed a complaint with Colorado Division of Insurance, and I am now looking into hiring a licensed public adjuster to represent MY best interest, to fight for the money that is rightfully mine for these damaged windows. It will be so very satisfying to fire Safeco after this debacle is over.

Never again will I do business with them, never again will they receive a single penny from me for any one of their services, and never will I recommend Safeco to anyone under any circumstances. Learn from my mistake: If you ever have a big homeowners insurance claim, hire your OWN Public Adjuster, so you can see what estimates look like to repair the damage that match some sort of reality, and not some low-ball number that will surely be given to you by the Safeco represented adjuster.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

After reading the reviews... I am very leary about what our outcome will be. We have never had a claim in all the years of having this policy but we recently had roof damage and a water pipe bust under house all in same week! The adjuster was quick to call us and set up a time to come out (tomorrow) but he did call and speak with my fiance who holds the policy and basically left the impression with him that it will not be covered because it appears to be wear & tear! WHAT!!! I will definitely update after the inspection but it is not looking good based on the call from him! I will for positively sure drop this company and definitely not refer any of my customers (I am a realtor) if this outcome is not what it should be! Stay tuned...

Original review: July 30, 2018

This company just lost my business. They refuse to insure my home, because I have a pitbull mix!!! This is just plain ignorance. The pit bull problem isn’t really a pit bull problem. It’s a human problem - like most “animal problems”. A 2008 study published in Applied Animal Behavior Science, the journal of the International Society for Applied Ethology, determined that “…it is inappropriate to make predictions about a given dog’s propensity for aggressive behavior based solely on its breed."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safeco Homeowners?

Original review: July 4, 2018

Last year (2017) I submitted a claim for my roof damage (hail). It took a couple weeks but they sent an adjuster out to look at my roof. He didn’t check the main roof just a side eve and stated there was no damage, even though every other house on my block roofs were replaced from damage. He said my upper main roof is too high and he didn’t think it was safe to climb up there.

This year we had a retaining wall fall because of wind. The claim rep. I had for the damages was very short and unprofessional, he stated before seeing any pictures or getting much information at all that he highly doubts it’s covered. Once I got off the phone he sent an email stating it was caused by earths movement not wind and that they were unable to cover those types of damages. The adjuster determined this from a distant picture I took and never came out to look at what really happened. The adjuster will not return calls and only emails me back stating that the claim is declined and to use the costs to fix it as a write off on my taxes. I want to warn other people that this company will not pay claims and is a horrible company. We were Just glad we didn’t have a major loss such as our house because we already know that they would use any excuse in the book not to cover it. It’s just sad that companies such as this one exist.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Earth Day of 2016, a tree fell on my home due to high winds. I reported my claim 15 minutes after it happened. It took Safeco 19 days to respond. First demonstration of bad faith. The first adjuster to work this case stalled on sending an engineer to review the damage because he was trying to help Beal Bank gain ownership of my property when they had no legal right to it. He managed to get them paid $48K because they claimed to be my mortgage holder. NOTE: I did not have a mortgage, and I had been through probate and was awarded the home, free and clear. I notified Safeco of these facts, but they either did not check with the court or simply did not care to check because the adjuster in charge, Kent **, saw an opportunity of make a bit of extra money.

** sent his henchwoman, Mazandarani, to be the field adjuster. She brought with her a contractor from Protech. She misled me by stating that the contractor was in their network of preferred contractors and that if I used his services, I would be provided with a 3-year warranty on the work. End of job, no warranty from either Safeco or Protech.

Initially, my claim was for repair, but the scope of the project changed when it was determined I had no foundation. My home was built in 1923 and had a pier and beam foundation. Over the years, the house sank and from the kitchen back to the bedroom the house sat on the earth, suspended above it in the living room and bathroom. Because there was no poured foundation, repairs could not be made to my home until it was brought up to code. The adjuster and contractor decided my house AND storage unit had to come down, everything rebuilt from the ground up. Of course, there would likely be some cost overruns of about $20K, but we could discuss that later. NOTE: There was no structural damage done to my storage unit, but the adjuster claimed there was.

In December of 2017, my family was forced to move into a house that had no utilities, none of my personal goods, which were in storage, no gas line. When I contacted ** to tell him of my mistreatment, of Mazandarani's action, his only response was to tell me he was on vacation. This event happened over the holiday season. For the duration of the claim process, ** misled me to believe he was Mazandarani's supervisor. He is not, but he did not report her actions to her supervisor as they are working together to defraud me.

Protech was initially hired to complete repairs. When the scope of the project changed, I should have been advised by Mazandarani to select a new contractor, but that would have required me to use their contractors network, that says it monitors all work throughout the process. All work here was conducted without any external review by anyone except the inspectors from Building and Safety.

Protech had me sign a contract for repairs that was incomplete when given to me in that it did not have all of the pages attached and was not an original document, but a copied document. They also had me sign a pay schedule that was not adhered to at all. Protech also changed the amount they were charging to do the job, but never submitted any paperwork explaining why. Protech also stole all documents that were supposed to be left in the house when the work was completed. No invoices, receipts, or warranties are here and had I not opened a complaint with the Insurance Commission, they might have gotten away with stealing over $200K without anyone being the wiser.

In October 2017, I asked Mazandarani how much money was left in the account to pay for the work. I was prepared to go to the bank and get a HELOC to take care of any overage, but she would not answer my question. I found out on 6 March 2018 that there was $80K remaining of the $190K available. Protech charged $238K for this shoddy work. I cannot understand how this is so when there was not that amount of money remaining in the claim. They claimed they were paid in full. They submitted an estimate, not a final bill or final invoice. An estimate that netted them $190K when they had done less than $110K of work. My property value actually decreased.

The Insurance Commission investigation continues. The Contractors State License Board will investigate. My wish is that there was one honest person working for Safeco. It is a closed system. When you speak to their Presidential Service Team, they simply report everything you tell them to the people you have the complaint against. They even let them investigate themselves. That is what Kent ** is doing even after I fired him, Mazandarani, and Vince Paglia's Protech.

Everyone I have spoken to during this fiasco has mocked me, indirectly called me a liar, condescended to me. I have experienced not one whit of professionalism, unless it is the professional way they commit fraud and theft. Everything looks good from the outside, but inside and underneath are not what we have been led to believe is true. The water filter, which we were told is a whole house water filter, had no filter in the canister, and only filters hot water. The paint is coming off the eaves. Outdoor outlets were poorly installed and have gaps that will allow water to get into them. I have not had a stove for 5 months because they rearranged my kitchen, not following the plans, and I do not feel safe using the stove where they placed it.

I had a yard full of plants and flowers to support the pollinators, help with asthma, provide privacy, fruit and vegetables. My yard is now a large litter box because they killed virtually every living thing on the property. And they are ignoring my personal property claim that wasn't filed until Protech abandoned the project in December, when we were forced to move in and all of my goods that had been left on the property because we were only supposed to be out of home 3-6 months, were all gone. Much of what was taken were heavy steel and wrought iron pieces, including my fencing, that I suppose was taken for recycling. My Weber grills were taken, my security doors with privacy screens were taken, my gardening supplies thrown away, my 31-year old lemon tree was cut down with fruit on it. There is no intention to compensate me for this loss. Stay away from Safeco. They are ruthless, immoral, cruel, and seem proud to be so.

Original review: June 12, 2018

This company will do anything not to cover claims and then once you are denied significantly raise your policy cost. After doing research I found they have a bad reputation and consumers warn against them. I am hoping to switch companies as soon as possible.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I was the one who had to keep calling for information and also the last call saying I was denied for repairs. Pretty sad when the adjuster didn't have the guts to call me.

Resolution response: June 1, 2018

Total confusion from me. The claim is not closed. I did not understand the agent properly. Received a phone call explaining the next steps and they actually apologized for the missed communication as did I.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Bathroom leak - At first they responded very quickly to get the house cleared of all the wet materials and I was very impressed. Then suddenly it was like they were in a rush to cut a check for the lowest amount possible and when I wanted them to hold off they informed me that after receiving estimates from local companies they can adjust their claim and send more. Next time I talked to them, I was told it was settled, even though the estimates I sent them showed their settlement would in no way make me whole. All before I even deposited their check. So now I will be needing to find a very inexpensive method of getting things replaced. Very disappointed.

Safeco Homeowners Company Information