2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.96/5

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

Progressive Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Get a quote

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Get a quote

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Some kid hit us with my 2 year old in the car. Could have killed us. He lied but because he’s insured through Progressive they did nothing. Fault was not expected. This insurance company is horrible! Zero star!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Worst company ever. Had to call 3 different times to get the insurance because every agent I spoke with asked for extra info I didn't have in hand. I have to give my car VIN number 6 times since every agent would tell me my info was saved and it wasn't. I was fed up but since I was already almost done I continued, then I have them for a few months and my rates go up from what I was told. I call. They told me I missed signing some papers I never got then. I asked if I could have them resent and never got them so at this point I haven't signed anything so I called to reduce it to liability along with trying to get those papers. Then the lady starts arguing with me about dropping to liability to the point where I couldn't even change it.

Then I call back the next day to just flat out cancel it and I'm as calm as I can be just because I don't want any more issues and the lady gets defensive and I end up speaking to a sup. And I never in my life had to speak to a supervisor. Then they tell me I have a $50 cancelation fee which I was never told of or even agreed to and they just kept telling me I have to pay it even though the sup himself admitted that it was on the sheet I didn't sign and when I told him I didn't sign it he said, "Well you knew about it." But I never did or sign any papers. Please avoid this company at all costs. Go anywhere else.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

An individual was driving radically at high rates of speed down our street at midnight when they totaled our parked vehicle. Progressive Insurance was the carrier although their client would not provide their insurance at the scene. We were forced to wait until the police report was filed several days later. I contacted Progressive and provided numerous comparisons but they have had excuse after excuse for NOT paying us what our vehicle is worth nor paying to date of loss, twisting numbers adding random reasons to not use the comparisons we have provided. Megan ** told me to provide more comparisons which I did, about a dozen and they now refuse to even look at them. She did not even submit them for review but immediate responded with, "Sorry but we are not going to look at these comparisons." Progressive is refusing to compensate us from the date of loss stating that they didn't open the claim for several days.

We were not able to open the claim because their client would not give us the information. The amount of what they are offering and what we have more than proved to be owed is differing by $1160. They refuse to compensate us even though we have hard proven facts and provided multiple times. This has turned into a very stressful event that we didn't ask to be in, all because corporate greed. This is a small claim in comparison to most claims, and we did not ask to be in this situation, yet here we are fighting corporate greed over $1160. We are being more than fair with this settlement!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

My mother got a quote online and was asked about accidents which she claimed none. She later received a call from Progressive that she had two prior accidents and that the quote was incorrect. It would come out to over two hundred dollars more for six months. The two accidents; one her parked car in her driveway was backed into by neighbor across the street. The claim to repair her car was on the neighbors ins. And the second accident she was stopped at a red light and rear ended and that claim as well was on the other driver.

That is why she felt putting 0 accidents was sufficient because she never put a claim in to her Insurance company. So I called Progressive and was told she was a more at risk driver for those two. Well having your car parked in your own driveway and stopping at a red light would make us all more at risk. So she should pay four hundred more? I asked Progressive this a he said all insurance companies do this. Not true.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

They signed me up for autopay, without me knowing. Then took out two payments at once right after I called in to make a payment. (A TOTAL OF THREE PAYMENTS.) When I called them about it they only agreed to refund one payment. This was in October. So I called and asked when would my next payment be? They said with the two payments they took out I shouldn't have another payment until December. Then in November they sent me a bill for November. I called and basically was told I still had to send a payment in for November. I have the bank statements to show the payments went through every month including the two they took out at once. And they still insisted on a payment for November. I am completely disappointed and disgusted!! Needless to say I will be switching companies!!! If you use Progressive for insurance I advise keeping an eye on your bank statements!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Anyone who lives in the state of Florida and you have a cracked Windshield and need it to be replaced make sure you tell them the Florida statute number 627.7288. They will try to screw you into paying a huge deductible with full coverage. In the state of Florida it is with no charge for front windshield replacement no matter what. I spoke to 3 representatives and they all told me there is no law until I read out the Florida Statute number. Be Aware. They will try to screw you.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I signed up for Progressive because it seemed reasonably priced. Shortly have signing up, my bill went from $268 to $520. Why? because I needed proof of continuous insurance. I guess Progressive is one of the few insurance companies that can't see that information themselves. I tried to get my prior information, Geico wasn't giving it up right away. I told them I didn't have $500 in my account that they were going to auto draft, and I turned off the auto draft (which resulted in even HIGHER fees). Of course it bounced, causing serious issues in my banks with fees and such. I'm 200 dollars in fees in my bank now too. So what do they do, even after I communicated with them about this? AND sent proof of prior insurance? They drafted me $500 again!

I'm not going to pay them another dime, I'm just going with another insurance company. After talking to customer service, it's pretty obvious they really don't care about their customers or helping them work through issues, they just start quoting your contract and giving you fake platitudes. Nothing was resolved, and I would fear them having to handle any claims, I can just imagine based on my experience with customer service that it would be hard to get paid (speculation sorry).

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I cannot even put into words how disappointed I am in this company. Progressive will do absolutely everything in their power to avoid paying on a claim, and you'll hear 1000 excuses as to why. As being in an accident isn't enough. Avoid being insured by this company at all cost unless you enjoy getting the run around.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

That is the worst company ever! They canceled my insurance policy for no reason after 2 months after they have charged me $400! They are no good Liars and Scam! They should be shut down and all put in jail for robbing you. So called legally! Shame on you Progressive! So that’s how your ads are paid for? By robbing decent customers! I hope you go bankrupt, you don’t deserve any customers!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

One month before my auto policy was scheduled to expire (I pay in full at the start of each policy renewal period), my daughter became eligible to drive. My daughter was given a car, she paid to title it in her name and insure it in her name (she was responsible for all maintenance and insurance costs - paid $750 down for insurance and $150 month). Within days of her registering and insuring her car, Progressive sent an email informing me that my insurance premium would be going up. Under Massachusetts law, I and my older daughter are permitted to exclude other household members from being listed as a driver on our policy - including my youngest daughter who just started driving. Progressive assured me over the phone that my youngest daughter would be excluded and I would not have to pay a large increase in premium. Days later, I get another email warning as if the phone call never happened.

I decided not to renew with Progressive and two weeks after the policy expired - received a bill for $165 to cover the additional charge Progressive felt I owed for the month my daughter became eligible to drive while I was still insured with Progressive. Like another well known large nationwide auto insurer, Progressive is constantly looking for ways to reach into your pocket while at the same time looking for ways to refuse to pay rightful claims. Progressive is a scumbag company that pays many millions for its barrage of TV advertising campaigns. And its unfair, thieving business practices explain how it is able to pay for that advertising time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Would not pay for diminished value on a vehicle that their insured caused major damage to. A minor claim was made against the vehicle two years ago for scratching the bumper cover or another vehicle with its license plate bolts in a parking spot. Progressive used this claim as a reason for not paying even after proving the claim was very minor. They also refused to pay loss of use for a half month repair to the vehicle, since a rental car was not retained.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I was quoted $600 for 6 months. They added a driver to my policy without my consent and charged the whole $600 plus for one month. Do not do business with this company unless you like throwing away money.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

The agent named Cheryl will absolutely blame you first if the process isn’t the way she likes and won’t attribute nothing to help you to finish the claim. Progressive will deduct your own settlement money to pay for bodyshop fees which should be paid by Progressive themselves. They will calculate every penny with you in the claim and drive the whole situation the way they want or they will rage on you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I called Progressive on 11/11/19 at 10:12pm for roadside assistance in need of assistance for a bolt that was in my tire deflating the tire. I was told they were sending the ticket out and I would receive a text on contact info and when towing should arrive. I received the text from Progressive and waited almost an hour for the towing to contact. I then tried to use the link in the text to get an E.T.A. It said my phone was not in their records. So I called the number that was in the text and I was told that they had canceled my order because they did not have anyone available in my area and Progressive should have contacted me. I called Progressive back and first was told that "No one had called." Then I was told that yes they did receive a call and that it had been sent to a Supervisor for review and a Supervisor would call back.

After another hour and no phone call I called back and asked to speak with a Supervisor. I was told that the Supervisor was trying to find someone that would be able to come to my area and again would call back. Finally I received a call back and was told they were working on it that they don't have a lot of towing companies that they work with out there which I don't understand because I am Denver borderline Aurora. (Dartmouth and Havanna). I finally got a towing company out at 2:45am to put my spare on. It was almost 5 hours for service! I wish I would have known that Progressive does not really handle a lot in the East Denver/Aurora area. I would not have gotten the towing added on to my policy.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

The evil at Progressive decided that quitting my policy was worth charging me extra money. Just because someone quits a policy you should never charge someone for doing so when you already overcharged them for the policy, in general. Progressive hates paying customers so much that they would prefer them all go to another insurance carrier. Terrible experience, and I will never recommend Progressive to anyone. Embracing evil doesn't make you right.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

They cancel policies with no notice until AFTER it’s already cancelled. Their underwriting team has no common sense. They don’t try to contact you by phone to figure out issues, they only go by mail. If you call Progressive to talk about the cancellation they’ll tell you they can’t help you and that you have to talk to the underwriting team. So apparently the underwriting team has all the power and Progressive employees are just there to push buttons, not help people, take your money, and all but say the words “you’re screwed. Sucks for you.”

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Switched to Progressive 2 months ago due to a lower rate. They have since added over $100 a mo to my rate I was originally given. Increase has nothing to do with driving history at all. Simply because I am a caregiver to relative that is elderly so they say that is a liability and I have to pay for that in case she chooses to drive the car and gets in an accident. She can barely walk and uses assistance to do. They do NOT care at all. It's all about money to them. They will not budge. Looking for another company.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I had not had a car in about 5 years because I lived abroad and would come back to the U.S and only rent cars. I had no accidents, am a middle aged woman, but they overcharged me because I had not had a car for 5 years. After six months of being with them they promised me my rate would be lower because I would then get a loyalty discount, and three other discounts with being with them for 6 months. When I received my renewal policy it went up even more per month over 100 dollars for six months. I cancelled them, especially when they told me I would be saving if I stayed with them for 6 months.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Progressive Insurance is ok until you actually need to use your insurance. I had an accident over a month ago that only involved my car but had significant damage to the front, back, and passenger side. Filed my claim and was able to finally take it to the body shop. My car there for almost a week waiting on the Progressive adjuster to get there to look at it because they won’t let anyone else assess the damage.

After a month I finally got my car back where it had been fixed with used parts that progressive insisted on replacing it with. I would be fine with like new parts but some of these had scratches etc. After leaving the body shop I noticed a roaring sound but just thought it was the road I was on. After several days of still hearing this noise I told my husband he needed to drive it to see if he heard anything (I only drive 5 min to work so kinda hard to tell ). We drove it on the interstate and the roaring was so loud.

We called the auto body shop and they asked us to bring in the next day to do a test drive with my husband to figure out what the issue is. (Evidently at no point did the insurance adjuster or auto body shop actually drive my car to make sure there was no other damage when they were checking it out). The mechanic heard the roaring immediately and said it was the wheel bearing and he would contact the insurance and then let us know when they had the part in to fix.

A few hours later progressive calls to tell me they aren’t going to cover It because they don’t think it was caused by the accident. I tried to explain that my car stopped by crashing into the guard rail at an angle on that side of the wheel with the issue. He said it normally messes up with wear and tear and because my car had 89,000 miles on it that was what it was from. I explained that I had bought my car like 3 months ago and obviously I would not have bought it making a noise like that and I never heard the noise until I left the body shop. So evidently according to progressive the wheel bearing wore out while it sat at the body shop for a month....

I’m 44 and this is the first accident I’ve had and it’s freaking ridiculous that you pay for insurance all these years and when you actually need it they screw you over. Should have known this was going to be a nightmare because when we first walked in the body shop and they asked what insurance I had they said, "Oh god. Not progressive". I wouldn’t suggest that anyone use this company. They sure take your money every month but definitely screw you over when you actually need to use the insurance!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Insured 3 years. Hit deer in August still waiting to settle, since no injury they are attempting to deny claim. Said “not deer hit”. Have checked my edr, phone, credit, bank and damn near everything except my own DNA. They have not come to me ONE time for anything. I have had to do everything footwork myself and have been going at this over 70 days on my own... This insurance company has been rude, accusing and vile towards me on most phone calls. I thought I paid for coverage to protect ME and looks like I’m gonna have to get a lawyer to protect me for the coverage I pay to protect me... insane. I RECOMMEND GETTING ANY COMPANY BUT THEM BECAUSE WHEN YOU NEED TO MAKE A CLAIM? Those cut rate deals don’t pay off!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Progressive put the kaibosh on me. They first gave me a very reasonable quote. I bought the policy only to be notified, not even a month later, that my rates were going up by SEVENTY dollars. I told them I would take my business elsewhere. They then informed me that it would be an additional 50 dollars to cancel my policy. Very, very unprofessional and criminal like. Never again. You are warned before accepting their smooth talk.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

Very disappointed. They went up on my insurance without letting me know. $15!!!! And when I called they said “it looks like we went up on everyone in your area because of all the insurance claims in YOUR AREA!!!! What the heck! This is so not fair. Having to pay for other people’s faults! They rip you off!!!! I will be switching my auto insurance if they don’t fix my payments!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

We are not insured with Progressive, however the driver that rear ended my husband is. For the Progressive customer, I am assuming rates are worth using them, however, if you are not their customer, they do not take care of the claim amply. Due to our vehicle being rear ended, there was rear end damage to the vehicle, however the front/motor is fine, therefore we are only asking for vehicle to be fixed as it was prior to the accident. Progressive decided to total our vehicle instead of fixing damage. They gave us a very low ball number to give us for the vehicle, which we cannot come close to replacing same vehicle with the very small allotment, which they were not willing to budge on.... AND on top of that, since they didn't want to fix and marked totalled, in order to keep our running vehicle, we also have to pay a sizable salvage fee.

I used to think that if you were in an accident (especially not your fault) that insurance would take care of you.... Isn't that why we are to pay in to insurance???? EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED IN Progressive!!!! I definitely hope that heaven forbid that my insurance needs to pay for a claim upon my fault that they take better care of the victim than Progressive has done for my family.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Glass Claim with Progressive is too rough and rips of the customer in terms of booking an appointment, dealing with third party Auto Safelite. IN my case, I have a Land Rover car and three times Progressive literally failed. When it comes to booking an appointment from Auto Safelite company comes up with wrong glass to fit in my car and delayed in delivering the correct shipment.

10/27 - First appointment - Canceled due to Auto Safelite company had a right glass.
10/29 - Second appointment - canceled due to Auto Safelite company and Progressive - because of careless write of my info, instead of 4 door, the assistant made it has 2 door and canceled the appointment.

11/1 third appointment - Canceled due to wrong shipment and just asked me to wait for more 1 week .

This is how the Progressive works in terms of glass claims? Customers will be ashamed of such a fraud services tied up with auto safe lite and totally disappointed. 0/5 rating to both third party and Progressive failed to resolve my issue. People beware of Progressive and go to cancel my policy right away.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I want to express my dissatisfaction about my Progressive policy, which I have maintained for several years (since 2011- Diamond membership) and have prepaid in terms of every 6 months. Last July, I added a new car that costs half the price of the cars I have insured and they charge me $ 400 more than what I pay for the other vehicles (prepay basis). Not only they do increase without informing the actual policy that I had to pay in surplus, but they also convert my account into installments to collect interest. I did not receive information or any email or even a call on how much I should pay for the extra car (prepay basis) and they only tell me that my policy changed with interest charges without notifying me. My payment record is good (prepaid every six months). Even an agency with which I have no relationship appears in my policy. Progressive is forcing me to find another insurance provider.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I was in the middle of a 3 car crash on Westbound St. Road 90 close to Florida International University's main entrance. Progressive has a police report stating that the person who hit me behind was careless. It has been 10 days and counting and I was only provided with an update because I called Progressive. Every time you call this company, nobody answers the phones or it takes more than half hour for someone to pick up and not being able to help you for whatever reason. I called today 11/1 and the person who talked to me says they are still doing their investigations... What investigation? Isn't there a police report that states the facts? Their ads might look friendly but it's terrible service, customer service has terrible attitude and worst of all I have to wait for my car to be fixed because the insurance doesn't want to pay. If I could give a zero star, I would do it. Something is for sure, I will not renew my policy with Progressive.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I would give 0 stars if I had a choice. I was a loyal Progressive customer for two years and a half. No accidents or any problem. I called progressive to add a car to my insurance. They said they will do $1200 for 6 months. I paid $1200 then next month they sent $530 telling me to pay that much, when I asked they say it is month to month but the other lady told me $1200 for 6 months. Worst insurance company ever. Bunch of scammers. Let’s boycott this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I was with Progressive for 5 or 6 yrs. Rate went up and down all the time. First yr accident free they congratulated me with raising my bill by 100$ a month. 6 months later lowered 20$ a month. Remember they raised 100$ to an accident free client then lowered 20$ 6 months later. After that they lowered 60$ on the next 6 months only to come back and up my rate back 100$ More a month. I spend 5 yrs accident free, started paying 200 and ended at 400$. Got all the way to Platinum only to find out all they say are lies and they are not there to help but to steal from people. Read the Platinum member agreement and it states your quote will never go up, and you have so many benefits. It's all lies, they raise your bill and when you call they’ll bold face not care none about your complaints.

I canceled insurance and parked one of my cars. Finally after a lot of quotes a GEICO was not only the best quote but my brother Ben with them for 9 yrs and his rate has never gone up, so I went with them only to find out I have all 3 of my cars with the same kind of insurance, with great benefits, full cover On all 3 cars for halve the price I was paying to Progressive. I will never go back to Progressive nor recommend them to no one.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I signed up for Progressive last year for 378 a month. This year they raised my rate to 475 and I did not have any claims. I called them up and talked to a manager who said she got my policy down to 410. When I called to make my payment. After they took my money, they said my payments would be 475. I argued with them until I was blue in the face and wanted to cancel the policy. They threatened to tell the authorities and the finance company. I AM GOING WITH ANOTHER COMPANY AND TELLING PROGRESSIVE TO GO GET **.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I tried to like Progressive, I really did. We decided to try Progressive because it promised to be a better deal if we used the electronic driving monitor for several months. What I found out is that unless you're lucky enough to never have anyone cut in front of you with no warning while driving, it won't save you anything, and worse, it just might get you killed.

The problem: the electronic driving monitor they have you install to track your driving and purportedly result in a discount, emits an audible alert every time you "brake too hard" when showing or stopping. The result of such an alarm conditions you to brake softly. The problem comes when someone suddenly cuts in front of you and you have been conditioned to brake softly! Accident waiting to happen, and almost resulted in one (I'm 50 and have NEVER had a motor vehicle accident). But I live in Phoenix, where cut-off drivers are a way of life. I realized the driving monitor had effectively altered my valid responses to dangerous conditions, and removed it.

Quickly switched to Geico after that experience. I'm a military veteran, so they offered a discount just for that. Progressive doesn't have a military discount, and USAA has gone so far downhill in their customer service I'll never use them again. So for me, Geico wins. The Pavlovian Progressive experiment almost got me killed. That's a hard PASS.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information