Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance
1.14/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I fell in my home on my day off and I re-injured my back on 08/08/19. I went to work on 08/10/19 as scheduled but the pain was more than I can stand. I tried to go to work on 08/11/19 as scheduled but could not walk causing me to fall again. I saw my MD who put me out of work and ordered Xrays, MRI and consults with ortho and pain mgmt specialist. I have been under constant medical supervision since August.

I am not then or now able to work. I applied for my short term benefits and was asked for additional office visit notes etc., and this has gone on and on since August without a payment. Not a dime since August. The nurse review was not conclusive and then they forwarded my case to a MD review who stated I was able to do my job even with the 3 cervical herniated discs in my neck. 1 thoracic herniation and 4 lumbar herniated discs with extrusion and nerve impingement on the sciatic nerve affecting both legs and numbness in right foot. I walk with a limp and cane. I am not able to work due to constant pain and depression due to pain. Now add lack of money to equation and I am overwhelmed and no one at Mutual gives a crap.

My claim rep was uncaring and dismissed my every call. I was told by her and a supervisor they were doing all they could but I find that SO hard to believe because my case was in limbo for 4 months and I have exhausted all my savings. I am now facing foreclosure and have been dropped from my car insurance for lack of payment. All because Mutual of Omaha won't pay the claim and they refused to help me.

I have paid into the short and long term disability plans at work for months and now that I need the benefits Mutual won't pay and that is NOT RIGHT! I NEED MY PAYCHECK AND THEY SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. Mutual of Omaha is the worst. I was told my 3 Dr's were not cooperating with the reviews, but all 3 stated they were never contacted. My reviews were not performed in a timely manor and I was not given the benefits I need and now I am financially in ruins and still in tons of pain. I hope my attorney will get me the closure I need.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Rhonda. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Updated on 11/10/2019: Been trying to get this resolved for over a month now. My rep went on vacation and after back and forth between my job's HR and customer service they replied after I left a complaint here. Then lied again and said that they mailed a check. Little do they know I have informed delivery and I see every piece of mail that gets scanned by USPS before it even gets on a truck in route to me. So even though I told them that I would be evicted if the check didnt show by today they claimed they mailed it. So Monday I'll be getting evicted because they continually lie. I'm going to get legal counsel as the emotional distress is too much and they are responsible as they had all my paperwork in on time. I've been out of work over 30 days and claims are supposed to pay put after 14 days. Smh. Wish I could convince my job's HR to switch companies. As usual they'll respond and ask me to email them but it won't resolve anything

Original review: Filed a claim with a job after being in the hospital for almost a month (still in hospital). They first said payment would be paid out 14 days after start date, but that was a lie. They claimed my HR department needed to send papers and my HR person said they would resend them. Claim rep assigned to my case talked to me and didn't tell me she would be out of the office on vacation for a week. When I called back the next day, she was gone and the lies continued. One rep said it's still being processed and any rep can finish the claim with the other rep out. Another said they're missing paperwork from my employer. Another said they set up a review 2 weeks down the road but they needed the additional paperwork.

My HR department called and they told them they had all the paperwork they needed! Called them again and they claimed stuff was missing and my HR called on my other line and so they heard them lying and went off. The rep said only the main rep could look into it and he couldn't dial an outside number to reach back out to my HR. He wouldn't give his extension and claimed paperwork was missing. They are lying and my husband was so fed up he called an attorney friend to seek legal action. I hope they get it right fast because hubby is working on filing violation of civil rights lawsuit (his background is Criminal Justice) and he's been looking up case law and stuff since.

I figure once the federal OCR reaches out to Omaha they'll get their stuff together. I just hate being lied to. Wish I didn't have to go through this, all from a hospital room. So yeah zero stars if I could. *It's sad that all the reviews say the same thing and Omaha has the same response, email us. Why!? When we can and get the run around, why would you want a paper trail of the same lies that you tell us on the phone? That's just solid evidence for anyone to take to court. Smh.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Roxanne. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Conflicting information. Lots of typos in correspondence. My elderly parent had a stroke & was hospitalized. I am the only living kin. I went to work and struggled through 1 day. The second day I had a mental breakdown from depression, stress, lack of sleep and anxiety of trying to do everything with no support or help. I couldnt safely do my job. I left early and called my doctor's office from my worksite parking lot. I could barely talk through the tears. I got lost on my way to my regular doctor's office, I probably shouldnt have been driving. I was seen by my doctor, who put me off work for approx 2 months. I returned to work as planned, after revisiting my doctor on the final day of leave.

I filed all the paperwork with MOO. Unfortunately their offices are on the east coast & I live in California. It proved impossible for me to contact my claims representative because she was off at 3 p.m. EST which is 12:00 PST. I asked my benefits person at work to liaison. Next I received a letter of denial from MOO that was full of mistakes. 1st it read I wasnt employed during the time I was off, and others. I took time to call MOO on a day off. My rep was gone, so I spoke to someone else left to handle her calls.

As I clarified each reason for denial, she relayed "oh that was a typo." After 2 typos, I asked for a new letter, free of typos to be sent out. We continued discussing my claim, and she told me my claim was denied because I wasnt "globally impaired." And that I needed to file with workman's comp. I called a lawyer, who said my issue was stress related and not something claimable under workman's comp. I asked for an appeal. When I received the second letter, the reasons for denial were completely different. And included new typos. Additional doctor's appointments on my date of birth that I didnt have and supposed correspondence from Oct 2019, when it was only July 2019.

I sent an email saying I had contacted legal council, which conveniently generated a telephone call from a representative in California at 4:45 p.m. PST. During our conversation she asked about a past workman's comp claim, unrelated to this absence. She also spoke about my case not having evidence of "global impairment" and she stated I could have worked my job during the episode of my condition, because she had suffered a similar family crisis and she remained able to work, although my licensed medical physician apparently felt otherwise.

MOO also questioned my medical group and my physicians professional course of treatment. It was explained to me that the course of treatment, or rather the lack of pharmaceutical interventions & psychotherapy in my medical record further caused my denial. I told the rep, I am not a doctor. I dont know why or why not my doctor's course of action wasnt different. I also mentioned I don't think I could have had another item added to my plate during the time of my illness and that I don't like taking pills. My doctors course of action worked for me, without the need of medications & psych mumbo jumbo. She went on to tell me my doctor's course of treatment would have likely been supported through California Disability insurance. My guess is my doctor probably thought I had state disability, and not some other group insurance requiring piles of additional costly testing, therapeutical interventions and pharmaceuticals.

This telephone call continued. She also alluded to any claim I would have only been eligible for 30 days. Which I reiterated, "you mean I would only be eligible for the first 30 days, when I was off almost 2 months?" She told me I understood correctly. After review of my policy, there is a 30 eligibility requirement, meaning I had to be off 30 days before qualifying, conflicting with that telephone conversation.

As our call ended, I was told my claim would be reviewed by a independent 3 party, to which I asked (in writing) if there was a list I could choose from to make sure they were unbias. My request via email was declined. My last correspondence from MOO says this 3rd party reviewer has also denied my claim. And more typos. This DO reviewer used my physical exam on the last day of my time off. The day I returned to my doctor and was released! Of course my condition on that date wouldnt support my need to be off the prior 2 months. I was 110% better. And included a note of supposed correspondence from myself 11 days after the date of the letter I was reading..

I emailed the Rep in California, whom I had the telephone conversation with and asked her to specifically indicate the reason for my denial in my policy. She emailed me back and said, my denial falls under the general exclusions, item g) an occupational Sickness or Injury, unless You do not receive temporary workers’ compensation benefits;

I feel like I'm going around in circles here. Honesty, if I could have worked during this time I would have. I had almost perfect attendance at my job, including many additional non contracted hours that I've worked. I am stuck with this group policy because my work doesnt give me the option of paying into state disability insurance. As a citizen of California, Disability insurance is required for a reason, to protect Californian citizens. This company makes me feel like they think I took off this time for no reason but for the pure enjoyment of having the time off...

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, D.L. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

In June 2019 I was just walking at my job. Suddenly I couldn't walk anymore. Both of my legs became weak and had to hold onto a fence to prevent myself from falling. The pain was horrible and was pulsating down both of my legs. After seeing my doctor, she ordered x-rays of both hips and my back. It was found that both of my hips were severely damaged and I was referred to an orthopedic Surgeon. During the consultation with the Surgeon it was explained to me that my hip joints (right hip being the worse) were completely shot and I needed surgery to replace them as quick as possible. The weakness and pain in my legs was caused by my sciatica nerves becoming inflamed from the joint damage.

The Surgeon placed me out off due to my pain and difficulty walking. I have short and long term disability insurance thru my employer. I filed a claim, Doctor sent all paperwork and my employer filed their part. After 6 weeks I started becoming concerned as my bank account was almost drained. I spoke to a Mutual of Omaha representative several times and was told that they have everything and that it was being reviewed. After 2 more weeks, I returned to work against my doctor's and surgeon's advise because I started falling behind on my bills and was almost completely broke. Was told that I may receive benefits for the 6 weeks I was out of work, but it would need to be reviewed by a board. Well just got a call from Mutual of Omaha August 25th 2019 to say I am denied. It never fails.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Brian. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I spoke to the rep yesterday afternoon and was advised that my claim was denied. I spent 4 months without receiving any income. I kept requesting for follow-ups because it seems as if the rep kept dragging his feet on my claim. I had slipped and fell back in November and injured my back. My injury has progressively gotten worse, to the point I had to use a walker and cane to walk. I have constant pain in my lower back that goes all the way down to both legs, groin area, hip, and my feet.

I have numbness in my right leg and stiffness in both legs, that prevents me from driving. I can barely sleep at night because the pain is unbearable. I go to physical therapy and have been examined by an Orthopaedic Doctor, as well as a Pain Management Doctor. Both Doctors stated that I have bulging disc and stenosis. Nerves are being suppressed, which in turn, causes the pain, stiffness, numbness, etc. I was really distraught to say the least, that my claim was denied as I waited 4 long months suffering in pain and no income coming in.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, J. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Month of June-2019 I had a very bad lower back pain and my Dr give some time off work. I did send all the doc and form to Mutual of Omaha. Everything was fine. I got paid after I went to my Doctor again and he give me more time because of my lower back pain. I did send all the info they ask from me and my physician. And the game started from early August-2019 till now. I call (Emily **) and she is making all sorts of excuses and I don't know why after reading all the reviews it looks like they don't want to pay.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Ahmad. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Unless you are having surgery, or something where there is no question you will be disabled, chances are they won't cover it, or you will have to fight them to get reimbursement. My wife got an autoimmune disease which makes her weak and she sleeps a lot. She has not been able to work for five months now. What she has, takes about 6 months to cure. Short term disability was supposed to cover the first three months and then go to long term. We and the doctors have completed every form they have requested.

They keep asking for more forms to be filled out by us and doctors. Then they turn down the claim because they don't consider her disease a disability. We appeal, they ask for more forms, then they turn it down again. I feel that all this stress has added to the length of my wife's disability. She starts showing signs of improvement, then relapses when they tell her they won't cover the disability. I have talked to a lawyer and he says there is definitely a case. In conclusion, find a different company for your insurance. Don't risk not being covered, when you need it.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Eric. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I had severe nerve pain in right arm, elbow, wrist and fingers. First surgeon insisted it was carpal tunnel. Had surgery 3-8. (Was covered by workmans' comp.) Did not fix problems. Was released and referred to spine surgeon 5-23-19 (personal medical insurance). MRI showed moderate to severe stenosis, surgeon says I have a slight agenesis of the c6 pedicle, I will also need 3 or 4 vertebrae fused. Have been unable to work and lay flat in bed. I have to sleep upright in a chair to relieve pain.

Review department is in its third review. I've been off work and under a surgeon's care the whole time. I have exhausted savings paying for COBRA insurance and bills. It is now 2 months since release from workmans' comp. (7-26-19) with no end in sight. Karen ** my caseworker can only check and say it's still in review, her supervisor Eric ** didn't return my calls. I paid weekly for years to cover unforeseen circumstances like this and you've left us stranded. There's got to be a better way to verify and process claims on your part.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, David. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I asked for disability insurance where if I died or became disabled, Mutual would pay my mortgage. An agent came to my home and seemed vague if Mutual would accept me or not. Demanded that Mutual only auto drafts my account. The agreement was a $99 package deal. She changed everything after she left. I expressed concerns cause with autopay even though it's "easy for the consumer " as she stated, it's often abused by companies. They do and take what they want.

I got notice they were taking out $18 for cancer insurance which I declined. How often the withdrawal, I don't know. Now they are going to withdraw $59 for term life insurance. I had already canceled this company more than a month ago. See, abuse with autopay. I didnt ask for term life. I asked for the disability/ death benefits so if I die my home is paid. Now I have to waste another entire break at work calling these people to have that removed. She totally changed everything on the contract after leaving.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Barbara. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: June 24, 2019

My experience started off well, however when I had to apply for an extension, everything went downhill. It's unfortunate that as person with a disability I have to fight just for consideration and decent treatment. I don't have any more savings. I need this extension. I was met with a condescending nonchalant attitude. I believe denial is just a forced habit to save money.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Eboni. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mutual of Omaha is a mutually funded insurance company headquartered in Nebraska. It offers insurance in almost every state via its 4,900 associates.

• Location-specific plans: Users can provide their address to receive policies customized to their region, browse plans online or get general information if they don't want to provide a location.

• Offers needs assessment calculator: Consumers can determine how much coverage they need by using this online tool.

• Guaranteed renewable: Insureds can renew their policy annually until they reach the age of 67, regardless of their health status.

• Offers business overhead expense insurance: Individuals who own their own business may want to purchase a plan that covers overhead expenses if they become too disabled to run their business.

• Offers accident-only plan: Users who are in good health and don't want to pay a lot can purchase a policy that covers short-term disability only in the event of an accident.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people who are recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky