1.30/5
Based on 54 reviews that contain star ratings

58 Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have been fighting Mutual of Omaha for over a year to pay my claim. Mutual of Omaha just ignores my messages, mails the wrong forms, or claims it mailed forms when it did not. I am currently suing Mutual of Omaha in federal court. If you are in a similar situation and are interested in joining my lawsuit to form a class action, please contact me right away.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Stacey. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Worst disability company I have ever had. It’s been over a month and half I have not received anything kind of Decision. I bought this In case I got hurt and I need to provide for my family. Mutual of Omaha saying it can take up to 6 months to receive any kind of payment. I will never recommend this company to anyone.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Justin. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I was told a check was mailed the last day of July. Today I waited patiently until mail was delivered. Of course there was not a check. Sadly I am considering bankruptcy filing as I cannot rely on MOO. My entire life is now based on cancelled plans and appointment as I cannot afford gas or groceries. Today I will have multiple checks bounce at $39.00 each. Thanks MOO. I did not seek to be disabled and I’m sorry that MOO views me as a loss to their bottom line. This is what I paid for. Now I have to spend my time filing a formal complaint with the insurance commissioner.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Timothy. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution response: Aug. 29, 2018

Payment was overnighted like they said.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I put a claim in in May. It was accepted and I was told a payment was going out and I should have it by July 15th. On the 17th I received an email from Janisha ** saying "A payment was issued and your benefits are paid through 7-9-2018. No further info will be needed. I will add that you have returned to work as of this date." As of today 8-1-2018 I received no payment from Mutual of Omaha. Cancelling my insurance and put that money I was going to pay them in a savings account.

I put a claim in in May. It was accepted and I was told a payment was going out and I should have it Buy July 15th. On the 17th I received an email from Janisha Jackson saying

As of today 8-1-2018 I received no payment from Mutual of Omaha. Cancelling my insurance.and put that money I was going to pay them in a savings account.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Eric. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I bought a short term disability policy from agent Blaize in Raleigh, NC. I made sure he knew that I was buying with the intention of extending my family and would need assistance once out of work. I was assured that short term disability was almost always used for this and was successful in providing financial assistance for new families. I bought the policy and a couple months later was pregnant. I have had clean annual wellness checks for years and don't have any comorbidities. I struggled at the end of my pregnancy and was deemed high risk and had to be induced ahead of schedule. I filed my claim upon the birth of my child and he is almost two months old.

I have called the office and spoken to my claims agent, Jane numerous times as well as supervisors and anybody else I can get on the phone. I have been held up at every turn. They wouldn't pay for my medical records but insisted they couldn't continue with the claim process without them. The underwriting team was in the process of trying to poke holes in my claim in order to deny it. They said it would take 10 days but have just given themselves at least another 5. This policy was to keep my family afloat and now we are drowning in bills while they scramble for an excuse not to honor my policy. Today I was called and told that I was "approved" but would receive NO money because my time written out of work was 64 days and they only start payment after 90 days. I did not read this ANYWHERE in my policy and I will be taking further action.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Ashley. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We have received your email with your information, and our customer care team will be in touch. We look forward to speaking with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: July 26, 2018

When I started having a problem with this company, I contacted Morgan and Morgan attorney's. They are very interested in a class action lawsuit, especially with all the horrible reviews. I held off because I received 2 checks. I am still out of work awaiting surgery and for the last 2 months, they have not paid me a dime. I'm super frustrated because I have a real injury and pay for this benefit for when I need it. This company is doing everything they can to not pay our benefits. I think it's time to recontact Morgan and Morgan. I will go to the Supreme Court, if I have to. This company is all about profit and not helping the people in need. Trust me, Mutual of Omaha, I will not stop until I get what belongs to me.

Updated on August 1, 2018: I DID SPEAK WITH MUTUAL OF OMAHA. I did what they asked and nothing was resolved. They post "resolution in progress" to make their response look good. I will be filing with the attorneys and will be gathering the names of everyone, on all review websites, to join me in the lawsuit.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Connie. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Husband is going through a STD claim from his employer, as he pays for this benefit. He was injured in an auto accident and has been told from his employer that he can't return until 100 percent clear and no restrictions. Husband is suffering with nerve issues within his spine and has a concussion. I am authorized on his account to speak on all claim related issues and personal questions on his account. I have spoken to many reps whom are great and assist me. However, Natunja, a claims officer spoke with my husband weeks ago and asked typical questions about what had happened.

In that time we have obtained a lawyer and my husband has as been in treatment for almost a month, Natunja called yesterday and asked to speak to my husband, she called my phone number and seemed surprised that I answered, she asked to speak with my husband as to provide the status of his claim. My husband gets on the phone and Natunja tells him that she was just letting him know the status then suddenly starts asking him why he can't work and what are all his restrictions, when my husband would answer her vaguely because he doesn't know medical terminology, she would snidely say what does that mean?

My husband couldn't even verify our address properly because he has a BRAIN injury as well. His treating doctor has sent the detailed paperwork explaining his injuries and work restrictions. She was asking my husband what is his restrictions we're though they have the medical info in their hands. Also we gave emails from his employer as that he can't return until no restrictions are shown. She said they are waiting for the ER records only. My husband then asked her to please speak with his wife and she was silent for a few seconds and agreed. I then told her I can send more information on what his employer corresponded and why she seems confused on what his restrictions are. She then said she can't understand or hear me but yet was responding after I spoke and then told me fax to this number any questions or documents. Asked me is there anything else? I said no, and she rudely hung up. NO thank you. No formal closing.

I immediately contacted the main number and complained as to why she was suddenly interviewing a person with a concussion whom has legal representation. I was connected to Todd her supervisor, whom automatically stated it was her job. I explained that she never stated that the call was recorded nor did she explain she will be asking him questions, SHE said she was calling to give him the status of his claim purely!!! He then began to take fault as that was not okay, but then said they didn't have the accident report and our Dr paperwork. I told him that WE submitted all that and was confirmed by 2 reps and also Natunja a few mins prior. He then began typing and replied that he meant only the ER records...

I am beyond upset and feel that my husband is being treated unfairly. Misleading practice is being performed here and they are lying about what docs they have. Why would you call a person with a concussion and a lawyer on file and lie about the reasoning of the call? I demand her termination and something be done about these practices going on at this company.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Sari. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Work at the same place 18 years paying for this insurance. Needed to use it. Filled in March of 2018, finally in July I got my denial letter. Sent them everything they asked for. Each time calling it's some other excuse. The doctors took me out of work and I'm denied like I done something wrong, these people are horrible to deal with. First off they were sending information to wrong area code, fax wise, then she tried to act like I was lying about a invoice to pay for medical records, so she called Amber at doctor's office. Amber told her, "I sent you the invoice with the other fax," all of a sudden they find it, wanna always make us out to be of fault when it's them.

Long story short wouldn't be out of work if doctors didn't take me out, my life has totally changed due to injury, then in return you have to deal with a low scandalous insurance company like this. Someone needs to report them to BBB, all I can say if you got the short term get ready to file an appeal. Read the reviews when I applied there correct, would give them worst out of worst on anyone that's got this insurance company. They're honestly a disgrace to people that has worked for years and years to receive this when needed most.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Crystal. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 17, 2018

This company is a scam, they make you jump through hoops for months on claims then after your finally get everything 100% complete and prove to them you're not going away they send you a check for 25.00. Yes I got some money from state but this is a supplement insurance so I'm not getting paid because I got money from the state. SCAAAMMMMM. Should be a negative star rating.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Michael. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution response: July 9, 2018

Took a long time of taking from Peter to pay Paul. Doing without getting behind. But received call at 7 in morning. Claim approved. Why so long have no clue. So people if you can hang on long enough maybe not as bad a company as I thought. THEY just need to speed process if possible.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Seems they want you to jump thru hoops like a circus. All documents show that doctors have provided are short term disability. THEY said there is a 2 week discrepancy in them. I know I tried to work at least a couple days a week just to keep all up to par on bills but no they will not have that. I will seek a attorney if needed. I would much rather be at work. I can make twice the money compared to what the disability pays. I have been out of work over a month and get the runaround. I WILL NO LONGER JUMP THRU HOOPS NOR WILL I HAVE MY DOCTORS JUMP THRU THEM. All the paperwork that I have sent is all that will be sent.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Danny. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Well we got the call today that my husband's short term disability is being denied. We expected this since we have read all of the reviews, what we didn't expect was the reason why. In April my husband had some eye problems with one eye, it became cloudy where he couldn't see. He mentioned this to his regular dr, who then sent him to an eye dr. The eye dr. saw something behind his eye and sent him for a CAT scan, which showed he had a blocked carotid artery in his neck. He had unexpectant emergency surgery on the artery in May, shortly after the CAT scan results. They said he was a walking time bomb for a massive stroke and needed the surgery immediately. The artery was one of the worse the vascular dr. had ever seen, ruptured, black and pus... In short they saved his life with this surgery. He was out of work for a total of about 7 weeks.

7 weeks of no income... We found out today his short term disability has been denied by Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance... because he has been on blood pressure medication??? We don't understand what one has to do with the other whatsoever. We had read the reviews on this insurance company while we have been waiting to hear, and understand they will reach for any reason to deny a claim, but this is just reaching a little too far. The short term disability was suppose to help us live while he was out of work, didn't receive it, so lived off the last of our savings.

We now have to pay back his employer for the benefit payments to keep his insurance while he was out of work out of his weekly paychecks, on top of the weekly payments we make for the insurance. My husband was told we can appeal, the question is, do we get an attorney to appeal, or appeal and then get an attorney??? (since from everything we've read would be denied again). His regular doctor would not have sent him to an eye doctor had he had any thoughts the eye problem had to do with his blood pressure. Heck, the blood pressure med. kept his blood pressure controlled as proven by all of his check ups, and had nothing to do with his artery. For anyone reading the reviews, as we did, you can believe them. Very disappointed.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Debra. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I’ve been off of work since May 13th with my illness. MOO had been fighting me every step of the way. MOO has been claiming that there isn’t enough paperwork. My PCP has sent paperwork as well as my psychologist. This is the eighth week off with no pay. I’ve spent my family's savings paying bills and now we are starting to borrow money from relatives. It’s not only embarrassing but a shame. Corporate America continues to take from the little man but not pay when the time is right. This is not helping my current situation at all. I talked with my Dr. today and he said it’s time to seek legal help. Calling an attorney is not the route I wanted to go but I have to now since MOO is turning push into shove...

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Donnie. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I wish I could give a negative 5 stars. They have screwed me out of my last 4 short term disability checks. They will do their best to not pay you. I am currently in the process of getting an attorney to try and get my pay. I would STEER CLEAR of this company if I were you. They are con artists.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Michael. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this with you further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: June 17, 2018

This has been the worst experience ever. It’s probably going to cause me bankruptcy. I fainted and got a concussion. I lost consciousness and 911 was called. I’ve been to 2 er’s And was sent home from work until I could get clearance. My neurologist would not clear me and I was sent to a neuropsycotherapist. After being off work 2.5 mo I finally got cleared for work. Mutual of Omaha is doing everything they can to not pay me. They are seeking all kinds of info on me that has nothing to do with my injury.

I’m alone. I’ve used every resource possible to survive and been very blessed with resources but now heavily in debt also. This ruining my life. At this point they owe me several thousand dollars and I don’t have enough medical info to support being off work even though my neurologist is a specialist in concussions. I am in extreme anxiety and despair. I will be months catching up with my payments. I thought it was their job to support their customers, now I realize they are your enemy. My case is not closed yet, but I now realize they are working against me.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Dawn. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I went on disability insurance around Jan 1 2018. It took 9 weeks to get my first short-term disability check. They only send a check after repeated calling and asking about it. I have lupus and fibromyalgia and can't work. This company is awful about paying claims. It sure was taken out of my paycheck every week to pay premiums.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Sheila. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I started my STD claim 3 weeks ago and I had to call them to find out there was a problem with a form my doctor's office had sent in. IT WAS ONE OF THEIR OWN FORMS, how can it be inadequate? Now I have to wait at a minimum of two more weeks to see if anything happens, much less to start receiving benefits that I paid for. Oh they're professional enough on the phone, but that's all a smoke and mirrors act, and it's designed to make you wait longer. Eventually they hope you'll just give up and go away, just like every other insurance company. I'm tired of fighting an insurance company when I'm sick and I'm not seeing any benefit whatsoever.

Updated on 06/08/2018: I was told a week ago that my benefits check was cut and sent Monday, and here it is Friday. No check. It took 4 months to go through their process and now I'm about to be homeless and I can't afford my drug refills that are due. I sent an email to a rep, but she just tells me the check is in the mail. Why would you do this to someone who has incredible anxiety and depression? Are you trying to kill me?

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Lance. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have short-term disability insurance with Mutual of Omaha. They discontinued my pay due to not receiving my medical records. I had Bell's Palsy and had trouble speaking for a while. I work in a call center. My doctor approved the time off. Documented all of the required paperwork and my claim was still denied. Fortunately, I found other means to pay my bills, thank God, but no thanks to the insurance company I've been paying. This company is a waste of time and my money. The policy will be canceled.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Angie. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have been covered by a group STD policy as a salaried executive. At the end of November last year I had a TIA and have had ongoing issues with my feet and legs with excessive edema. When I had the TIA, I was hospitalized for three days and used personal time, so I had no lost wages. I have worked since then because the other two executives were out of the country for the most part and my absence would cripple the company. My work was suffering because I couldn’t do it effectively so I began the process of looking at taking FMLA and applying for STD benefits. I missed work the second and third week of March because of my health and used personal time for one week and the company didn’t deduct for the other week.

I filed my claim on a Sunday as my doctor had decided to put me out for three months to get me the treatments I needed. I went to the office the following day to discuss the fact I was going on STD and was notified the company decided to take my position in a different direction and let me go. Mutual of Omaha is now saying I had no lost wages prior to termination and that I have no claim. My disability was clearly documented and known before my termination by my employer and my claim was recorded and accepted prior to my company terminating me. I am a parent of 6 special needs children who I am trying to make sure are taken care of but the actions of MoO are making things so difficult to do. MoO, I am completely astonished at your actions.

UPDATE ON 04/30/2018: After being denied and being contacted by the insurance company after posting a review my claim was revisited. It has been two weeks since the contact and I am no further along than I was before. I submitted my medical records release on the day after the initial claim and was told a week ago they needed it because they didn't have it. It has been four weeks since my original claim was filed and my medical condition is still as it was when I couldn't fulfill my job functions which put me off work to begin with. My attending physician completed the forms as required but I was told she was vague.

I am honestly feeling the insurance company is delaying in hopes that because of my need to support my family which includes 6 special needs children including one that is blind and has severe seizures. Our other children have varying degrees of conditions.and I hope the severe delays will not continue as the impact is real. I am completely amazed at a company I promoted to every employee working for me as one who wasn't more interested in profits but more interested in doing what was right by the policyholders.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Bobby. Thanks for the review. We'd like to discuss this further, please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 9, 2018

You pay into this for months or even years only to find out when you need it you're denied. Looks like preexisting conditions are their go-to for everything. When asked what would happen if it was a matter of life or death? They pretty much told me it would be death. Looks like it's time for an attorney. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Marty. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 4, 2018

My mom has this insurance and we file a claim. A short term disability because she had a total hysterectomy, but because of other issues she has the doctor give her 3 months of disability, we filed the FMLA and culinary claim. Everything was approved for the 3 months but Mutual of Omaha is asking for every doctor's visit papers because they only approve 1 month of disability, even though my mom was vomiting and bleeding after the surgery. Now she has a perforated ulcer. She was 2 times on ER and we send all the paperwork and CT scans and is not enough to extend her claim. Those are the worse disability insurance on the market. I know the HR department of my mom's work and we know a lot of people there. We are going to explain every employee how this insurance is so the company can get a different insurance for us. Aflac is really good.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Paula. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have had a horrible experience with Mutual of Omaha while dealing with them for a short-term disability claim through my employer. I was having major anxiety and panic attacks working with men which is really difficult when most of my interactions at work are with men.

While I finally dealt with the aftermath of my situation by seeing doctors, therapists, and filing a report with the police, my employer suggested I take leave to focus on self-healing and gave me the paperwork to file for short-term disability. I did have issues with the hospital releasing my records due to several people entering information incorrectly. Once it was sorted out, my records were released and MoO had the information they demanded which included all of my mental health records. I didn't like releasing all of my records and Dr. notes regarding my mental health, but I didn't feel I had a choice if I wanted to have my claim accepted.

I tried several times via email and phone to reach my agent but she would not respond to any of my attempts. The only person she would respond to was our HR facilitator. I am still waiting for my official notice, but my employer has been informed that my claim was denied, but only because of several calls and emails. Even then, the information that was relayed has not been consistent (agent says they will call me, but they never do). My employer is so fed up with the lack of communication, lack of professionalism and lack of care, that they are now looking elsewhere for their disability insurance. At least my employer cares how their employees are treated. It doesn't help me much at the moment. I can honestly say the only insurance company worse than Mutual of Omaha is Cobra, and that isn't saying a lot.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Elizabeth. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I just wanted to write something positive about my LTD experience so that when someone else is going through the process they don't automatically panic that they will be destitute without payment after reading nothing but bad reviews. I began my disability due to an illness in July 2017. I filed and received payments weekly with regular updates from my doctor's appointments until January 2018. There were some delays with my doctors getting information to MOH in a timely fashion but nothing was too extreme. When it came time to switch to Long Term disability it did take some time to change over, more reviews of my medical records and about 80 days to get approved. In my opinion the process should have started sooner so that there was not such a large gap in time between policies but all in all compared to what I have read from others I should be thankful.

I have found my agents to be professional and timely in returning my calls, helpful and empathetic to my case. You do have to play the waiting game but from my perspective most of that falls to the medical community taking their sweet time getting information back to MOH. I even had an issue with my employer getting their information in, but with some prodding from me it was finished. Remember that it is OUR responsibility to make sure that MOH has what they need, and to help them get it. It is tough to do, especially when you are sick or injured but we all need to recognize that some of responsibility of getting our claims paid does fall to us to make sure to follow up with our doctors and others that have our information. Good luck everyone and don't assume that you won't get your claim paid, I have found MOH to be very fair.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I was working for orange lake resorts for the last 9 years and I have always paid for a short term and long term disability policy. Last year I had to use it because I sold everyday having to use my voice. I started having serious problems with my vocal chords and went to see a doctor because I continued to lose my voice for days and sometimes weeks at a time. I had a precancerous tumor on my vocal chords and had to have several surgeries to have it removed. My doctor told me after surgery that I would not be able to continue working in my current profession because I now have a lot of damage due to surgery and the tumor. I then submitted a short term disability claim and everything was aces. They were very nice and professional and very respectful and most of all they paid every week.

After short term was over they turned me over to long term claims and here is where the nightmare has begun. I received a call from a gentleman named Jack ** telling me he would be handling my case. He has been rude to me, he has yelled at me, he has belittled me, he has told me I'm incompetent because I responded to his same email three times because their secure email server will time you out if you don't send it quickly enough. He screwed up paperwork to all of my doctors to get my medical records and even told me he paid these facilities to receive these records and in fact they did not, I even had to pay for one record myself without any reimbursement.

Now here is where it really gets crazy. So my wife has also worked for orange lake for 10 years and is the top producer for the company so every year orange lake pays for the top producers and spouses to go to the hard rock live at universal in Orlando and they have done this for over 10 years. My wife won a huge award and also received a really nice monetary check with it. Just because I am not working for the company does not mean I am not going to support my wife in her achievements. This awards concert was last night. So this morning at 10:30 I received an email from Jack ** telling me he received information that I was at a concert until 1 am and why was I filing a disability claim if I were able to attend a concert where people usually speak... Well I am not a mute and I did not know I had a curfew and needed to report to Mr. ** when I attend any social event.

I cannot maintain my voice for prolonged periods of time. I'm pretty sure this guy seen pictures and videos of the awards concert from social media which is fine. Here is the issue, I have been harassed by this gentleman and me attending my wife's lifetime achievement awards banquet has absolutely nothing to due with my medical issue and having damaged vocal chords that's medically documented. You see I went from making $250,000 a year to getting a small $1200 a week check. My wife made over $400,000 last year and for this guy to belittle me and minimize my medical issues has really got my wife on a rampage now especially after ruining her night when we woke up this morning. What this guy does not know is that my wife is very high up in the company and she is going to file a personal complaint with her HR department Monday morning.

Everyone at orange lake has Mutual of Omaha and they are the founders of Holiday inn. Which is a very large account for Mutual of Omaha. There are a lot of friends and employees watching what's going on with my case to determine whether or not it's worth wasting their money with this company if they do not pay for legitimate claims. The other thing is that we are far from broke and come Tuesday morning I will be contacting an attorney to handle my case from here on out. The way I have been treated by this Jack person is completely unprofessional. It seems I am not the only one having these issues. I had no idea I had to report to this guy each and everything I do something social basis but all of my medical documentation says I am unable to use my voice for long term use. Now I am being stalked and I am very uncomfortable.

They look for every reason to prolong and not to pay your claims this is why they were number 347 in Fortune 500 last year. The less they pay the more they make. This guy Jack ** should not work in a position where he deals with people at all. This whole thing has caused me anxiety and stress and I can assure you after what I have been through with him I am going for more then the claim when I talk to my attorney. This man has actually yelled at me on several occasions. I hope they record their conversations because from here on out I will.

Please please beware before you choose to take a policy out with them. By the time my wife is done with Human Resources Monday they may be losing 25,000 other policies too. My wife has a tremendous amount of say at orange lake holiday inn. They respect her opinion because she is the top producer for the company and if they feel in anyway her life at home is distressed due to what they have put me through, they will make a change to make her happy.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Robert. Thank you for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Although it's been a tough few years I got hurt in 2013 and had a 12 month waiting period Mutual of Omaha has always paid me. Yes at times late but they have always made it good. I have been on claim for over 3 years and thought good and bad they have made it right. Yes I always have all DR updated and make sure I always get all information to them right away.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

After reading other negative reviews here, I can see I am not alone. I had knee surgery 7 months ago. My surgery seemed to go well at first, but here we are 7 months later and my knee and leg are both swollen just as big as it was before the surgery, I am still in a great deal of pain and I am still under treatment because my doctor cannot figure put why my knee and leg are not healing. I have had a second MRI which indicates there might be re-tear in the meniscus. In Oct. I went to another surgeon for a second opinion and he took one look at the swollen knee and leg, and sent me out for an emergency ultrasound because there was concern that it might be a blood clot. Thankfully it was not. About two weeks ago, my doctor did a shot directly into the joint of my knee. This did nothing to reduce the swelling or the pain, and it hurt so bad that it actually caused pain.

I filed a claim with this company United of Omaha Life Insurance company and they covered my lost pay at first. But they stopped paying in Sept, 2017. I lost my job over this injury because I was not well enough to come back to work on time and they said I would not be able to work while I am taking narcotic pain medication. There is no way I could function without it - the pain is just too much and it still hurts while I am on medication so I cannot imagine how it would feel if I did not take any at all. I cannot stand on my leg more than 30-40 minutes. I can't sit at a desk for longer than an hour or my knee and leg begin to swell and the pain gets worse, and yet this company denied my dispute and told me that I should still be able to work with this injury.

I don't think any place will hire me once I explain that I have be able to sit down and elevate my leg frequently and that I cannot stand or walk and if I sit, I need to lay down with my leg elevated, and lets not forget, I must be able to work while taking strong narcotic drugs- and this company denied benefits?? After reading other reviews, I think this company just denies everyone, they don't want to pay claims. I called an attorney today about this and I am going to let them deal with this. I am also sending them copies of this review because I want them to see that I am not the only legitimate claim that this company is refusing to pay. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Desiree. Thanks for the review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have been paying into Mutual of Omaha weekly for 3 years. I have never needed to use them for any benefits until recently. I was diagnosed with a medical condition November 1, 2017. I went to the hospital and then followed up with a specialist on several occasions. I was unable to drive or work for 8 weeks. I, along with my doctor & specialist, emailed and faxed documented information to Mutual of Omaha. I called weekly to be told that they were still waiting for documents from the hospital. I had a "not able to work" note from my personal physician. The hospital said they sent all documents but no one at Mutual of Omaha downloaded it out their queue. My worker insisted that she never received it and that was holding up my review for benefits. I was now off work for 7 weeks with no compensation at all! I had to call the hospital and then call Mutual of Omaha on the 3 way (Conference) with all 3 parties on the line.

The representative at the hospital had to verbally walk the customer service Rep at Mutual of Omaha through the download process on their computer out of their queue. Which is ridiculous to me. After 7 weeks of being off work on medical they tell me it will be 5 business days to review which is now 3 days before Christmas. I called daily to be told it's still in review. I left messages for my worker which I did not receive a return call. I finally asked for a supervisor which called me back in 24 hours. He told me a review was underway, and my condition may not be supported or qualify for benefits. 2 days later that was the determination, and I was told I could appeal. I have a medical condition, and doctor evaluation with a supporting note, and premiums paid on time for 3 years... however their staff doctors did not support my claim. An appeal is currently in the works.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Yolanda. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

My husband paid this company for years for short-term disability through his employer. Well when the time came that he actually needed to use it, the experience was horrible. The initial check was mailed to the wrong address, so it never made it to us, they were pretty unconcerned and took quite a while getting us a replacement check, then for a few weeks they actually got his weekly check to him in a timely fashion, then they just started mailing them when they felt like instead of every Friday like they told us and had been previously. I know this due to the postmark dates and they're very rude and extremely unhelpful.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Cathy. Thank you for the message. We take your concerns seriously and would like the opportunity to obtain additional information and provide assistance if possible. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I have been contributing to my insurance plan for over 7 years and have never touched it. I was recently in a car accident that put me out of work. Mutual of Omaha is claiming my symptoms are "subjective" even though they are backed by doctor's notes and medication. They claim my doctor noted that I should be back to work, but when I requested that they give me the document stating that they ignored my request. I spoke with my doctor and she said that she never put that anywhere in her notes. They seem to be lying to get out of paying a legitimate claim. I will be filing an appeal which will include letters from all the doctors that have treated me for this accident as well as from my employer who has stated that they cannot give me a light enough workload to bring me back on the job.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I had this carrier through my employer and my only child died suddenly and unexpectedly. She was only 19 years old. I was in complete shock for months and couldn't even get out of bed or focus on anything. I was completely disgusted with their lack of compassion and unethical reasoning and logic. They actually used the excuse that this was a pre-existing condition and that it was not severe enough. I have yet to understand how in the world an unexpected death of a child could be a pre-existing condition. I had a lawyer and everything and they still got away with it. In my opinion, losing your only child is the worst thing in the world that could happen to you. I would've much rather something had happened to me. This company is just disgraceful.

Original review: July 2, 2017

I had a work injury that required surgery in both hands. I applied for temporary disability through my employer. After two months I did receive the first check for a month but was contacted the next morning and told they "changed their minds" and not to cash it. When I asked what their reason was they gave me a medical diagnosis that is nowhere in my medical records and never occurred. Completely false. When I questioned this she would no longer answer any of my questions or tell me who made the decision or who I could contact to dispute it. I am still receiving checks I cannot cash complete with deductions for taxes which will count as income for my yearly totals. I was also told I would receive a letter of their diagnosis for my physician. Never got it. Stay away from this company! I have filed a complaint with my state department of insurance office.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mutual of Omaha is a mutually funded insurance company headquartered in Nebraska. It offers insurance in almost every state via its 4,900 associates.

• Location-specific plans: Users can provide their address to receive policies customized to their region, browse plans online or get general information if they don't want to provide a location.

• Offers needs assessment calculator: Consumers can determine how much coverage they need by using this online tool.

• Guaranteed renewable: Insureds can renew their policy annually until they reach the age of 67, regardless of their health status.

• Offers business overhead expense insurance: Individuals who own their own business may want to purchase a plan that covers overhead expenses if they become too disabled to run their business.

• Offers accident-only plan: Users who are in good health and don't want to pay a lot can purchase a policy that covers short-term disability only in the event of an accident.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people who are recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky