1.48/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

74 Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was on short term disability through MOO that ran out in December, we switched over for approval for LTD and so far it has been a nightmare dealing with "Peggy". During the initial interview I had my wife sitting beside me because I have a hard time remembering dates and times. Peggy flipped out and basically told my wife not to talk. Then Peggy asked how many hours were in the work week at the company I was employed at. I got a call back several days later from Piggy calling me a liar and such and started reading down my hours that I worked. She would not stop. She was reading it like she caught me in a grand scheme to screw the system.

I asked her to stop several times so I could speak, I finally had to use my loud voice to get her to stop being a spiteful...well at any rate she needed more paperwork so we went to the hospital and filled out proper paperwork for MOO to grab medical records they needed. Unfortunately weeks went by with no word from Peggy so we sent a message to figure out what the hell is going on. She writes back and says she cannot grab info she needed, WTH she knew we were going that day to open records to MOO and she just acted like all was well. At any rate we are twelve days away from April and I have a feeling it's going to be another month without a paycheck. Thank you Mutual of Omaha for making my life suck.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I was put on leave by my primary care provider in November of 2018. My doctor completed the required forms and the claim was accepted. Note this claim was provided through my employer that utilizes MOO for leave claims. The problems began when I had to intervene when I found out that the request for information was on a delay with my medical provider because MOO did not send the initial request for records properly, first time it was received just a cover sheet and no verification information form. Second time it was sent according to this 3rd party "weeks later", a cover sheet with my name and a verification for a random other person. Each time the clock begins again in terms of the length of time to review the detail by this 3rd party for the doctors office.

Fortunately rather than sending it back the provider allowed me to complete the form authorizing the records be sent to MOO, else I would have had an even longer wait! Then MOO has their timeline to review. An un-associated RN consultant (not a MOO employee as I understand it) reviewed the paperwork and indicated that the forms were filled out indicating that there were "no restrictions". The doctor was indicating that there would be no restrictions when I returned.

Interestingly enough the exact same doctor filled out this same form the exact same way in 2017 when I had to take a leave to take a personal leave and my claim was completed NO PROBLEM and payment was made immediately. MOO then requested more information for which the doctors office sent the same info again. They denied and said I could appeal. Now my doctor has written a full letter as of last week explaining the entire situation. I returned to work on Jan 2nd and still this is not resolved! The appeal states 10-14 days to complete their review.

My doctor's assistant said that the person assigned to my case Tyler would never answer his phone. In fact she got to the point she would not leave a message and would just call him over and over and hang up. I experienced the exact same situation every time I called. The doctor's office was attempting to call to verify exactly what MOO was missing. Literally like playing a game of cat and mouse. Why not write a response from the independent reviewer that states exactly what is necessary to get the claim approved. A lot of assumptions were made by this independent reviewer that simply were NOT truths.

Also why not just have REAL PEOPLE available to speak to REAL PEOPLE on the doctor's teams MOO? I will say when I spoke to Tyler he was never rude, that wasn't the issue ever. He simply was not easy to get in touch with via telephone and I always had to ask for copies of the items we would finally discuss vs MOO just sending them directly to me. Of course I want a copy of the letter! I was limited to "secure email" communication much of the time which just led to more and more frustration on a clear cut STD leave that should have been approved and a closed issue by the first week in Jan 2019 at the very latest.

When I got my appeal letter in January which took 2 weeks to arrive after I was told I was denied by Tyler, a conversation which also took several missed connections, I made a docs appt immediately and showed her. She said that oftentimes the notes are brief so she literally went back and pulled my records and wrote the response in a letter format to MOO last week. If this doesn't work, my doctor has done all she can and my next step is to escalate to get legal assistance.

I was out for BP, anxiety, migraines and syncope issues brought on by work-related stress. Not exactly certain how they think this is helping the issue because it is absolutely stress-laden to deal with this company. MUTUAL of OMAHA this is absurd! The good news is I'm back to work and in good health. My time off was fraught was doctors appts but they figured out the issues and helped me to get back to good health! Now I am just trying to close this issue and get the coverage that I was entitled to during this period of time. I will share my experience regarding MOO with anyone that I ever hear is going to use them.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Elizabeth. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

In October, I was in a car accident. I received a concussion, whiplash, pulsatile tinnitus and vertigo. I was initially approved for disability till 12-19-18. After that point, even with my chiropractor/neurologist saying I could not work, they said I was able to work and they denied my disability. Their team of doctors are limited to written reports and don’t attempt to completely understand the issue. I recently filed an appeal with additional information. It seems to me it might be better for them to trust the attending physician. I did not choose to be off work. Be very delight when filing a claim with them.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Angela. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I was a little discouraged after I read all the negative reviews and before I submitted my claim. But my experience with the company has been excellent. I called and spoke to someone on three separate occasions. Each phone call was answered promptly and the representatives came across as very knowledgeable. They were also very polite and pleasant. When they received my claims documents, they sent me a letter with the direct contact information of the claim specialist assigned to my case. When I called and could not reach her, I left a message and she called me back promptly. She informed me that they needed one more documentation, and I followed up to make sure it got to them. Once they received it, they processed my claim and sent the check.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I was out of work for 14 months. I would say only 3 months were problem free. The final decision regarding one's disability is decided by the Mutual of Omaha doctors. I submitted my medical records every 2-3 months and each time there was a problem, which caused a delay in payment. Representatives prefer email, so verbal communication is quite difficult. My doctor stated "not able to return to work," but Mutual of Omaha disagreed, therefore terminating my benefits. I am still boggled that they easily dismissed the opinion. I don't believe MO offers the financial stability a person needs during a period of illness/unable to work. The time you spend gathering medical records, communicating with representatives, and following up is unbelievable. Mutual of Omaha STD/LTD was offered through my employer, at my expense. As a consumer I would others to research other STD/LTD insurance companies and avoid MO.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Tara. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this with you further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Resolution response: Jan. 25, 2019

I have resolved the issue. I just wish it didn't take so long to have my money in my account after check is issued. But none the less Mutual Of Omaha is a Great group to deal with in my opinion.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I finally decided to add a bank account for my check to be direct deposited, and now the problems begin. Check was released yesterday supposedly sent electronic funds transfer to my bank and nothing in my account and bank don't even show a pending deposit. I'm better off getting a paper check. I get my money much faster. I am out of my medication and can't wait much longer to get it. Other than this issue here Mutual of Omaha has been absolutely great.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Leo. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to look into this for you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

About 1/16/18 I was contacted by a claim representative. We discussed my employer forms, my medical issues and was told they were offsetting Social Security income. They were going to immediately email me some further needed paperwork before initial payment, which a week later has never arrived. On my initial paperwork I specifically noted in the additional income portion I receive SOCIAL SECURITY RETIREMENT BENEFITS which is their target of the offset. The representative would see this is not allowed in my group policy...PAGE 5 if she would have read it and did her job correctly! So in short, this matter will cause more delay, email of paperwork needed not yet received- “lost”, and a insurance tactic delay to pay benefits owed for months.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Stephen. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Had the most difficult time with the short term disability process. They're undertrained representatives who aren't able to do anything in terms of help. I got my papers to them just to hear that they "didn't get them" even though I had the CC showing they were sent the same information as myself. After 2 weeks of nightmares I finally got to an analyst (not my own, my patience were too short by this point) and having to explain what was going on, even with my doctor saying I couldn't return to work and my work denying me themself. Which all you should need is what the doctor say, otherwise why go see them?

Finally got everything sorted out (it's been almost a month since I've received a check and am now way behind on bills). They said they'll send out the check, which would have been sent out last Friday. So today (me not being smart enough to realize that it's a holiday) go check the mail and no check. I may just be complaining but after an unhappy customer gets off the phone with you and they haven't been paid. I'd probably send that mail express. But God forbid they spend an extra dollar so people can live their lives without the stress of finances. I will NEVER use them again after I go back to work. This place is a scam. Just trying to take your money and screw you in the process. Hope this helps others. I'm sure it will considering all the 1 star reviews they have.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Daniel. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have provided everything possible to MOO to get my claim approved. My doctors have sent them documents multiple times and they claim they still don't have enough to determine why I'm not working; as if I would be home waiting to be approved for the little chump change MOO present you with. If I was able to return to work right now I would. Working citizens do yourself a huge favor, save your own money and don't waste it paying into this ripoff company.

Also, some of MOO employees are rude and horrible to work with especially Samantha **. Samantha **, someone must have told you wrong... I'm NOT hungry and I'm NOT going to lose anything I have if you make a decision not to approve my claims. I just want what is rightfully mine; one, because I am medically unable to work at the moment. Two, because I paid into MOO Long term disability plan. So, don't think for one second that your threat holds any value over my head when you said, "you could just make a decision to disapprove my claim today."

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Uno. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have provided everything possible to MoO to get my claim approved. My doctor and employer have sent them documents multiple times and they claim they haven't received them and I speak with my provider and they have sent them multiple times. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety and panic attacks and under treatment of a doctor and a counselor and haven't received pay for two months.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Janzen. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I filed my claim as advised by my employer for STD that I pay the premium for through my employer. STILL WAITING! I have had to jump through so many hoops which I have done but it seems they always need just one more thing. What should have been an easy process has been a nightmare and meanwhile not only am I recovering from major surgery I am receiving NOTHING from this coverage that I PAY FOR. I will certainly convey my experience to my employer so they are aware of what their employees have to deal with on the hope that coverage we pay for can be used when needed.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Donna. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I developed a brain condition that made it impossible for me to work; after multiple medical reviews and reports from my PCP, neurologists and neuropsychologists, all supporting the LTD policy that I paid EXTRA for was denied. On appeal, the hack "neurologist" Mutual of Omaha hired (hack is being generous, this Dr. has had her license to practice suspended and been accused of arson in the destruction of a $500,000 building) to do the review denied my claim with no further study or information. THIS IS THE PERSON DECIDING YOUR FUTURE!

So we are lawyered up doing another appeal... It's pretty obvious Mutual of Omaha is difficult to work with on purpose; if 40% of the claimants drop off the cart due to them giving up in frustration, that's 40% that goes straight to the bottom line, they are obstinate ON PURPOSE! If you get a LTD policy from MOO, I strongly advise you have a year's income in the bank because you're going to need it to support your family while the Mutual of Omaha runs you and your family through the meat grinder! Shameful!

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Steve. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

This is my third claim with Mutual of Omaha. I have been paying into this expensive policy through my employer since May of 2013. The first time I filed a claim I had blown out my knee. I was placed on restricted duty that my employer could not accommodate & placed on a wait list for knee surgery. Because of the surgery wait list, MOO would not pay my claim. I had to finally threaten an attorney, as I had very little state income & would be facing an eviction. Once I threatened my attorney I received a partial back payment. Finally had my surgery 5 months later, followed by several extensions as my condition did not improve.

Any time there was an extension there would a delay in benefits. Then I had another knee surgery last year 2017 & was off a short 9 weeks. Took about a month to get paid through MOO, as they would not accept my employer's provided earning statement. I actually had to send my W2. Then I noticed about a thousand dollar difference between my deposits & 1099. I called & called, no one called me back. Now I've had a hysterectomy, and my adjuster came at me sideways at 5 weeks, demanding medical records because there was a measly 2 week extension, followed by 4 weeks of modified duty. Jim **, my adjuster argued with me, talked down to me, & spoke in a rude & condescending tone. When he said I Had to provide my own medical records, I asked why because they usually do all of that.

After stating because it's "Kaiser", He continuously cut me off as I tried to speak, and told me he had no such release from me for medical information. He also stated he did not even have an application for benefits either. When I asked how was I getting paid direct deposit, he contradicted himself & said "because Kaiser was nice enough to send it". Now Mr **-how would Kaiser send you anything without my release? According to Kaiser there are no requests from Mutual whatsoever to date. Lies. When I questioned how was I getting paid direct deposit without any of these forms-he went on to argue there was a difference between EFT & direct deposit. Was it really necessary to argue with a paying client going through recovery over something so petty? We are talking a few weeks of benefits, nothing huge they would have to pay out like some of these other reviews.

I requested my medical records from Kaiser & faxed over my off work order, attending physician statement & medical records December 5th. I was contacted a week later they had my info in for review. They have since cut off my benefits, only paying the first 6 weeks. I don't think 8 weeks for recovery from an abdominal surgery in which I sustained bowel perforation during the procedure & stayed in the hospital 3 days for an outpatient surgery is extreme. I called Mr ** today & was told they were waiting for a letter from my Dr he just sent December 12th.

Now why did I waste my time sending in everything they asked for only for them to request more information? It's like they are making up anything they can to stop & stall my claim, a week before Christmas! I had written an email to Todd **, Mr **'s supervisor to which he called right away, and basically told me they requested a letter from my Dr because my medical review results would not be in my favor.

Seriously, they have caused me so much stress & headache over this 2 week extension, that it makes my recovery ten times worse. I should be focusing on getting back to 100% for my extremely demanding job that Mr ** refers to as "light duty". I'd love to see proof of my employer stating my job is light duty. I have already emailed customer care, and I will be contacting my attorney, Thank you Mutual for ruining my holiday season & making my recovery a nightmare. Merry Christmas!

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Joann. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

EXACT same tactics as the other reviews state. They stall, lie about not receiving paperwork, and much much worse! I'm preparing to save as many people as I can from being financially ** by these crooks. Tell me your story and let's get them shut down or even better, locked up! They profit from defrauding the sick and dying. Mutual of Omaha sucks and I wish we could list our email places and be able to interact. Maybe the classified site that Craig has can help us. They are nothing but deceptive and evil. Tell your HR people to not include them as an option! Their time has come to stop such malicious practices.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Darren. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can improve. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I’m at the beginning stages of filing a claim. First encounter with the rep was awful. I cried for an hour afterwards. Super aggressive and angry because what he’s looking for was not in the initial doctor report. "Sir I do not write doctors reports, did you clarify it with them?" When dealing with ill people some decorum is needed. I’m not even sure if another encounter with this rep is worth trying to receive 60% of my pay. This rep has worsened my mental condition, but maybe that was the whole purpose... Awful experience and sure he’ll be calling back causing more anxiety. The level of treatment/service Omaha Mutual perpetuates is shameful.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Artina. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Please accept our apologies for the poor customer service you experienced. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

It's been almost 3 months and now they want more info even after medical forms and full records were sent, because they don't seem to think that my injury from my car accident is significant. Tell that to my children who I am unable to play with and my husband I can't be intimate with. Oh, and I guess it was all worth the measly 60% of my income I MIGHT get to completely lose the job I've been with for almost 3 years and lose my benefits that keep my epileptic son alive! What a bunch of scam artists!

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Jessica. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have been fighting Mutual of Omaha for over a year to pay my claim. Mutual of Omaha just ignores my messages, mails the wrong forms, or claims it mailed forms when it did not. I am currently suing Mutual of Omaha in federal court. If you are in a similar situation and are interested in joining my lawsuit to form a class action, please contact me right away.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Stacey. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Worst disability company I have ever had. It’s been over a month and half I have not received anything kind of Decision. I bought this In case I got hurt and I need to provide for my family. Mutual of Omaha saying it can take up to 6 months to receive any kind of payment. I will never recommend this company to anyone.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Justin. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I was told a check was mailed the last day of July. Today I waited patiently until mail was delivered. Of course there was not a check. Sadly I am considering bankruptcy filing as I cannot rely on MOO. My entire life is now based on cancelled plans and appointment as I cannot afford gas or groceries. Today I will have multiple checks bounce at $39.00 each. Thanks MOO. I did not seek to be disabled and I’m sorry that MOO views me as a loss to their bottom line. This is what I paid for. Now I have to spend my time filing a formal complaint with the insurance commissioner.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Timothy. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution response: Aug. 29, 2018

Payment was overnighted like they said.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I put a claim in in May. It was accepted and I was told a payment was going out and I should have it by July 15th. On the 17th I received an email from Janisha ** saying "A payment was issued and your benefits are paid through 7-9-2018. No further info will be needed. I will add that you have returned to work as of this date." As of today 8-1-2018 I received no payment from Mutual of Omaha. Cancelling my insurance and put that money I was going to pay them in a savings account.

I put a claim in in May. It was accepted and I was told a payment was going out and I should have it Buy July 15th. On the 17th I received an email from Janisha Jackson saying

As of today 8-1-2018 I received no payment from Mutual of Omaha. Cancelling my insurance.and put that money I was going to pay them in a savings account.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Eric. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I bought a short term disability policy from agent Blaize in Raleigh, NC. I made sure he knew that I was buying with the intention of extending my family and would need assistance once out of work. I was assured that short term disability was almost always used for this and was successful in providing financial assistance for new families. I bought the policy and a couple months later was pregnant. I have had clean annual wellness checks for years and don't have any comorbidities. I struggled at the end of my pregnancy and was deemed high risk and had to be induced ahead of schedule. I filed my claim upon the birth of my child and he is almost two months old.

I have called the office and spoken to my claims agent, Jane numerous times as well as supervisors and anybody else I can get on the phone. I have been held up at every turn. They wouldn't pay for my medical records but insisted they couldn't continue with the claim process without them. The underwriting team was in the process of trying to poke holes in my claim in order to deny it. They said it would take 10 days but have just given themselves at least another 5. This policy was to keep my family afloat and now we are drowning in bills while they scramble for an excuse not to honor my policy. Today I was called and told that I was "approved" but would receive NO money because my time written out of work was 64 days and they only start payment after 90 days. I did not read this ANYWHERE in my policy and I will be taking further action.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Ashley. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We have received your email with your information, and our customer care team will be in touch. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 26, 2018

When I started having a problem with this company, I contacted Morgan and Morgan attorney's. They are very interested in a class action lawsuit, especially with all the horrible reviews. I held off because I received 2 checks. I am still out of work awaiting surgery and for the last 2 months, they have not paid me a dime. I'm super frustrated because I have a real injury and pay for this benefit for when I need it. This company is doing everything they can to not pay our benefits. I think it's time to recontact Morgan and Morgan. I will go to the Supreme Court, if I have to. This company is all about profit and not helping the people in need. Trust me, Mutual of Omaha, I will not stop until I get what belongs to me.

Updated on August 1, 2018: I DID SPEAK WITH MUTUAL OF OMAHA. I did what they asked and nothing was resolved. They post "resolution in progress" to make their response look good. I will be filing with the attorneys and will be gathering the names of everyone, on all review websites, to join me in the lawsuit.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Connie. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Husband is going through a STD claim from his employer, as he pays for this benefit. He was injured in an auto accident and has been told from his employer that he can't return until 100 percent clear and no restrictions. Husband is suffering with nerve issues within his spine and has a concussion. I am authorized on his account to speak on all claim related issues and personal questions on his account. I have spoken to many reps whom are great and assist me. However, Natunja, a claims officer spoke with my husband weeks ago and asked typical questions about what had happened.

In that time we have obtained a lawyer and my husband has as been in treatment for almost a month, Natunja called yesterday and asked to speak to my husband, she called my phone number and seemed surprised that I answered, she asked to speak with my husband as to provide the status of his claim. My husband gets on the phone and Natunja tells him that she was just letting him know the status then suddenly starts asking him why he can't work and what are all his restrictions, when my husband would answer her vaguely because he doesn't know medical terminology, she would snidely say what does that mean?

My husband couldn't even verify our address properly because he has a BRAIN injury as well. His treating doctor has sent the detailed paperwork explaining his injuries and work restrictions. She was asking my husband what is his restrictions we're though they have the medical info in their hands. Also we gave emails from his employer as that he can't return until no restrictions are shown. She said they are waiting for the ER records only. My husband then asked her to please speak with his wife and she was silent for a few seconds and agreed. I then told her I can send more information on what his employer corresponded and why she seems confused on what his restrictions are. She then said she can't understand or hear me but yet was responding after I spoke and then told me fax to this number any questions or documents. Asked me is there anything else? I said no, and she rudely hung up. NO thank you. No formal closing.

I immediately contacted the main number and complained as to why she was suddenly interviewing a person with a concussion whom has legal representation. I was connected to Todd her supervisor, whom automatically stated it was her job. I explained that she never stated that the call was recorded nor did she explain she will be asking him questions, SHE said she was calling to give him the status of his claim purely!!! He then began to take fault as that was not okay, but then said they didn't have the accident report and our Dr paperwork. I told him that WE submitted all that and was confirmed by 2 reps and also Natunja a few mins prior. He then began typing and replied that he meant only the ER records...

I am beyond upset and feel that my husband is being treated unfairly. Misleading practice is being performed here and they are lying about what docs they have. Why would you call a person with a concussion and a lawyer on file and lie about the reasoning of the call? I demand her termination and something be done about these practices going on at this company.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Sari. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Work at the same place 18 years paying for this insurance. Needed to use it. Filled in March of 2018, finally in July I got my denial letter. Sent them everything they asked for. Each time calling it's some other excuse. The doctors took me out of work and I'm denied like I done something wrong, these people are horrible to deal with. First off they were sending information to wrong area code, fax wise, then she tried to act like I was lying about a invoice to pay for medical records, so she called Amber at doctor's office. Amber told her, "I sent you the invoice with the other fax," all of a sudden they find it, wanna always make us out to be of fault when it's them.

Long story short wouldn't be out of work if doctors didn't take me out, my life has totally changed due to injury, then in return you have to deal with a low scandalous insurance company like this. Someone needs to report them to BBB, all I can say if you got the short term get ready to file an appeal. Read the reviews when I applied there correct, would give them worst out of worst on anyone that's got this insurance company. They're honestly a disgrace to people that has worked for years and years to receive this when needed most.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Crystal. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 17, 2018

This company is a scam, they make you jump through hoops for months on claims then after your finally get everything 100% complete and prove to them you're not going away they send you a check for 25.00. Yes I got some money from state but this is a supplement insurance so I'm not getting paid because I got money from the state. SCAAAMMMMM. Should be a negative star rating.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Michael. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution response: July 9, 2018

Took a long time of taking from Peter to pay Paul. Doing without getting behind. But received call at 7 in morning. Claim approved. Why so long have no clue. So people if you can hang on long enough maybe not as bad a company as I thought. THEY just need to speed process if possible.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Seems they want you to jump thru hoops like a circus. All documents show that doctors have provided are short term disability. THEY said there is a 2 week discrepancy in them. I know I tried to work at least a couple days a week just to keep all up to par on bills but no they will not have that. I will seek a attorney if needed. I would much rather be at work. I can make twice the money compared to what the disability pays. I have been out of work over a month and get the runaround. I WILL NO LONGER JUMP THRU HOOPS NOR WILL I HAVE MY DOCTORS JUMP THRU THEM. All the paperwork that I have sent is all that will be sent.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Danny. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Well we got the call today that my husband's short term disability is being denied. We expected this since we have read all of the reviews, what we didn't expect was the reason why. In April my husband had some eye problems with one eye, it became cloudy where he couldn't see. He mentioned this to his regular dr, who then sent him to an eye dr. The eye dr. saw something behind his eye and sent him for a CAT scan, which showed he had a blocked carotid artery in his neck. He had unexpectant emergency surgery on the artery in May, shortly after the CAT scan results. They said he was a walking time bomb for a massive stroke and needed the surgery immediately. The artery was one of the worse the vascular dr. had ever seen, ruptured, black and pus... In short they saved his life with this surgery. He was out of work for a total of about 7 weeks.

7 weeks of no income... We found out today his short term disability has been denied by Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance... because he has been on blood pressure medication??? We don't understand what one has to do with the other whatsoever. We had read the reviews on this insurance company while we have been waiting to hear, and understand they will reach for any reason to deny a claim, but this is just reaching a little too far. The short term disability was suppose to help us live while he was out of work, didn't receive it, so lived off the last of our savings.

We now have to pay back his employer for the benefit payments to keep his insurance while he was out of work out of his weekly paychecks, on top of the weekly payments we make for the insurance. My husband was told we can appeal, the question is, do we get an attorney to appeal, or appeal and then get an attorney??? (since from everything we've read would be denied again). His regular doctor would not have sent him to an eye doctor had he had any thoughts the eye problem had to do with his blood pressure. Heck, the blood pressure med. kept his blood pressure controlled as proven by all of his check ups, and had nothing to do with his artery. For anyone reading the reviews, as we did, you can believe them. Very disappointed.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Debra. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I’ve been off of work since May 13th with my illness. MOO had been fighting me every step of the way. MOO has been claiming that there isn’t enough paperwork. My PCP has sent paperwork as well as my psychologist. This is the eighth week off with no pay. I’ve spent my family's savings paying bills and now we are starting to borrow money from relatives. It’s not only embarrassing but a shame. Corporate America continues to take from the little man but not pay when the time is right. This is not helping my current situation at all. I talked with my Dr. today and he said it’s time to seek legal help. Calling an attorney is not the route I wanted to go but I have to now since MOO is turning push into shove...

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Donnie. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I wish I could give a negative 5 stars. They have screwed me out of my last 4 short term disability checks. They will do their best to not pay you. I am currently in the process of getting an attorney to try and get my pay. I would STEER CLEAR of this company if I were you. They are con artists.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Michael. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this with you further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: June 17, 2018

This has been the worst experience ever. It’s probably going to cause me bankruptcy. I fainted and got a concussion. I lost consciousness and 911 was called. I’ve been to 2 er’s And was sent home from work until I could get clearance. My neurologist would not clear me and I was sent to a neuropsycotherapist. After being off work 2.5 mo I finally got cleared for work. Mutual of Omaha is doing everything they can to not pay me. They are seeking all kinds of info on me that has nothing to do with my injury.

I’m alone. I’ve used every resource possible to survive and been very blessed with resources but now heavily in debt also. This ruining my life. At this point they owe me several thousand dollars and I don’t have enough medical info to support being off work even though my neurologist is a specialist in concussions. I am in extreme anxiety and despair. I will be months catching up with my payments. I thought it was their job to support their customers, now I realize they are your enemy. My case is not closed yet, but I now realize they are working against me.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Dawn. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mutual of Omaha is a mutually funded insurance company headquartered in Nebraska. It offers insurance in almost every state via its 4,900 associates.

• Location-specific plans: Users can provide their address to receive policies customized to their region, browse plans online or get general information if they don't want to provide a location.

• Offers needs assessment calculator: Consumers can determine how much coverage they need by using this online tool.

• Guaranteed renewable: Insureds can renew their policy annually until they reach the age of 67, regardless of their health status.

• Offers business overhead expense insurance: Individuals who own their own business may want to purchase a plan that covers overhead expenses if they become too disabled to run their business.

• Offers accident-only plan: Users who are in good health and don't want to pay a lot can purchase a policy that covers short-term disability only in the event of an accident.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people who are recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky