Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance

3.9/5 (127 ratings)

About Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: July 29, 2021

If you're reading this as a claimant, get a disability lawyer immediately. If you're a small/medium business, your HR department doesn't have enough $$$ clout to push back on Mutual of Omaha's **. Consider looking elsewhere. Mutual of Omaha is obviously in the business of denying claims, and is a for-profit Fortune 500 company. There's no reason for them to give you your disability money that you and your company paid for, as it eats into their profits. Why should you pay the extra money out of your paycheck for this each month? It's simple: you shouldn't.

Their 2020 profit statement says: “Despite 2020’s challenges, Mutual of Omaha is a financially strong organization that is focused on our policyholders and well-positioned for the future,” said Chairman and CEO James Blackledge. “Our financial strength enabled us to provide COVID-related benefit payments to thousands of customers and their beneficiaries, and our policyholders can count on us to be there when needed.” This is absolute garbage for myself and many others DIRECTLY impacted by Covid and Long Haul/PASC. I'm willing to bet that Mutual of Omaha would never show you the actual statistics for denied disabled people because it would make their narrative look like the ** that it is.

My denial letter was unprofessional, petty, loaded with inaccuracies, missing tons of information that was submitted, and ignored the main reasons I'm disabled and unable to do my job. It's obvious that it's a bad faith middle finger to someone who is too sick to handle the stress of working with a lawyer. It's obvious that they prey on the weak - just read the other reviews! Joe Biden's administration is considering making those disabled from Long Haul Covid are covered. I'm willing to bet that Mutual of Omaha fights whatever progress is made. How do these people sleep at night?

Original review: July 13, 2021

I'm already on short term disability and after 2 months later still no money. They denied my first claim saying preexisting and no call, return call on my main claim. Any company using them are horrible. Omaha is horrible and Kellier and anyone answering the phone is horrible. No assistance and tons of run around.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2021

Absolute nightmare. I filed for STD in Aug 2020. The 50k-foot summary of the facts of my claim: When COVID hit, the NSA declared me to be (and issued me a memo to carry at all times) mission critical to our country's cyber-based infrastructure. I have DoD Top Secret clearance and am assigned to ensure the Air Force's satellite systems are protected from our enemies. Without people who do what I do, and carry the load that I carry, American citizens would not have the level of safety and security afforded to them every day.

The demands of what I do every day, requires me to perform my duties in an uncompromised physical and metal capacity. It is my duty to the US to remove myself from performing my daily functions if I feel I have any diminished capacity to operate at anything other than 100%. It's an oath I took when I swore to protect my country from all enemies. The war I happen to fight is in space, and it's all out warfare.

So, right outta the gate I get a random, unscheduled, mid-workday call from some young guy, Jesse, who tries to catch me off-guard and starts asking random questions about my mental condition and my claim. Mind you, he is no healthcare professional. All too clear his MO is to put me on the spot and get me to reveal things that he can then repurpose into a way to disqualify my claim. Thing is.. I've dealt with these snakes and these tactics before.

About 4 mins into our call I began recording the ensuing 45 minute conversation of lies and snake oil tactics. The recording is now a transcription that's been notarized. Meaning, it can be submitted as an affidavit to the courts. Ultimately, I submitted absolutely everything MOO asked for to support my claim. I documented absolutely everything as well. Crickets. My claim is an open and shut claim. But I've heard nothing from MOO despite asking this Jesse guy for an update. It's now almost been a year! I will pursue legal action if they don't come forward and do what they sold me on. I hope this can be remediated quickly and amicably.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Katie. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you about your claim.

Original review: March 10, 2021

I am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with Mutual of Omaha's claim's process and specifically my claims specialist Janisha. I submitted a claim in October and it took until February to reach review due to their requirement of my medical records for the past 5 years even though my claim was related to pregnancy. There was no urgency to communicate with offices to receive these records until I complained. Janisha was incredibly rude and unprofessional in multiple interactions with her. I addressed her not responding to email communications and she said "I technically have 7-10 days to respond"; some customer service that is. There was NO regard to the financial impact being out of work with no income which is the entire point of STD- income for when you are out of work and receiving no income.

After MONTHS of going back and forth on this claim, they tried to put on me that I "withheld a wrist injury" and that they would not process my claim until I signed a letter about it. Every excuse in the book to not approve my claim. I ultimately threw in the towel on my claim and had my policy rescinded and premiums refunded so I could be done with them and Janisha's rudeness. I will never do business with them again and will recommend against them to anyone asking. Worst customer service EVER.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

My wife and I recently filed a claim with disability insurance that we pay for with Mutual of Omaha and it was denied despite us having lab work, and hospital paperwork proving her eligibility for the claim. The most jarring part of the experience was when the adjuster said the hospital didn't even recognize her as ever being a patient despite all the paperwork we had sent before. You can have all the proof in the world and they can just say no. I called multiple times, sent many documents and asked for another adjuster. If you're reading this stay away at all costs.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Jakob. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review.We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

On June 18th 2020 I could no longer perform my work duties due to extra work (Covid -19 ) load on my body. I had extreme back pain from lifting and moving furniture at the long term assisted living facility I work at. I went to my primary care doc. and she gave me time off and sent a referral to a spine specialist Doctor. I didn't get an appointment until September 1st (everything was backed up due to covid). With multiple calls and x-rays from Doctor MOA said they were declining because many people work with degenerative back problems. I have more than that. I now have had a MRI showing a lot more, pinched nerves etc... I also suffer with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Mutual of Omaha sent my file to another doctor who wants records from my RA doc.

It is now November 17th and I have been out of work with no pay. I have made 7 payments of 106 to Mutual of Omaha out of pocket. I feel scammed. I don't dare to stop paying them because they could then say that's why I can't receive the benefit. I can only suggest saving your money and not buying insurance from Mutual of Omaha.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Sally. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I have been off work for 4 weeks, I talked to my claims rep on Wednesday, he stated he had all the needed paperwork and he would process it by Friday and call me Friday to get my direct deposit info and a deposit would be made on Monday, I have left 3 voicemails for him on Friday, I never received a call back or a call about direct deposit. When I talked to him on Wednesday, I stated the urgency of payment, that my family and I were facing utility shut off next week and would have to seek help from local food pantries for groceries. He stated To me that I would get my backpay and payment on Monday and he would collect direct deposit info Friday so I would have payment quickly and would be able to pay my utility bills on Monday.

I am not sure why Mutual of Omaha lied to me and will not return my phone calls, I felt extremely relieved when I talked with him on Wednesday, I have surgery schedule for the 29th of this month. As if that doesn’t have my children scared enough, we are now facing utility shut off and wondering where will get our next meal, I have contacted a lawyer and submit my claims forms/doctor's info and policy info so if legal action is needed I will be prepared, I am hoping and praying for the best right now, I will update this review as soon as I hear from Mutual of Omaha and give details about my outcome.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Don. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Hello. I was put out of work by my dr from May 2020 to October 2020 for a back issue. I had a tumor removed in 2018 and ever since then I have had a bulging muscle that over time it has gotten progressively worse with pain. I have seen 7 drs at Johns Hopkins hospital and they all say I see the problem but don’t know how to fix it so I went outside of Johns Hopkins and this dr says possible muscle hernia so my std policy says I have to be out for 7 days then they start paying so I received checks every week but they weren’t paying what they were supposed to so I found it out and they had to back pay the difference. So I have had 7 different nerve blocks and none have helped. I can’t drive no longer than 20 minutes and I can’t sit or stand so the only relief I get is from lying down.

MOO stopped paying me the first week of July and they say that I am able to work but my job is sitting behind a desk. If I have 8 drs stating that they see the issue but don’t know how to fix it and I have had physical therapy and acupuncture and dry needling and nothing works. How can moo drs say I can work when they have never seen my back. I am to get a injection with lidocaine and if I get any relief then they would cut my back open and go in to see what it is. So the bottom line is I had to go back to work because moo stopped paying me and on 8/27/2020 I received a email from moo stating I was denied any more checks so I went from 7/2/2020 to 8/27/2020 with no payouts so I had to go back to work and I only work till the pain starts to get bad. MOO has bad customer service and they don’t care about taking care of the customer. Just like any insurance company if they can get away without having to pay they find any way out.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have chronic variable immune deficiency which places me at severe risk to develop COVID-19 with disastrous consequences. My immunologist notified me in March that I needed to leave my healthcare provider position ASAP. MoO determined that I was not disabled because there is no mental or physical reason that I can't do my job. Half of my work department became infected with COVID providing patient care. Returning would have killed me.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Majorie. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to investigate this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: June 19, 2020

I have LTD INSURANCE in case something happens to me.. I had go through hell to get all the info they wanted. Had wait 180 days to even get it and now not even 6 months yet and they want me do it all again.. How is this peace of mind for me? And now they are trying push me on S.S.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Angel. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Mutual of Omaha author review by Matthew Brodsky

Mutual of Omaha is a mutually funded insurance company headquartered in Nebraska. It offers insurance in almost every state via its 4,900 associates.

• Location-specific plans: Users can provide their address to receive policies customized to their region, browse plans online or get general information if they don't want to provide a location.

• Offers needs assessment calculator: Consumers can determine how much coverage they need by using this online tool.

• Guaranteed renewable: Insureds can renew their policy annually until they reach the age of 67, regardless of their health status.

• Offers business overhead expense insurance: Individuals who own their own business may want to purchase a plan that covers overhead expenses if they become too disabled to run their business.

• Offers accident-only plan: Users who are in good health and don't want to pay a lot can purchase a policy that covers short-term disability only in the event of an accident.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor