Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a disability policy that I paid close to 60 dollars every month for over 10 years. I just received the surrender value of a whopping $1700 today in the mail. I understand the meaning of surrender; I didn't think Mutual of Omaha was in the business of financially raping its customers until now. I am very disappointed in this company and will be calling Monday and looking for an explanation and as well an apology with another check issued.

This was back in 2010 while I was receiving Chemo therapy treatment for stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I have been receiving Chemotherapy for 2 years and was unable to get out of bed to report to work anymore. My Oncologist was surprised I was still working and My Employer suggested that I take time off temporarily to recover from my cancer treatment.

All the paperwork was submitted by my manager and my Oncologist office. I received one, only one phone call from Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance representative at home to ask how I was feeling. Frankly I don't remember the conversation but I know it was not lengthy since I am still suffering from Chemo Brain. Today after 6 years, I am still unable to work because of my compromised immune system and chemo brain. I am unable to attend a church and no longer socialize. Last time I went out to eat with my family, I end up infectious virus and spend weekend at the hospital.

Yet, Mutual of Omaha Insurance sent a letter saying followings: We have completed our review of your appeal for long term disability benefits under our policy. We are upholding the denial of your claim and no benefits are payable. Able to perform at least one of the material duties of your regular occupation and yet You are unable to generate current earnings which exceeds 80% of your basic monthly earning due to same injury or sickness. Isn't in contradiction?

I was fortunate that that Social Security had a cancer as one of compassionate allowance list. Yes it was very depressing that I am unable to work but it was good decision and save myself a dignity because my brain is not same as use to. I don't have to feel guilt about calling in sick or risking my life and others by driving to work.

I still cannot read a book or watch a movie because I have trouble following the story or remembering what I just have read. I have to write everything down because my short term memory is almost non existent. Every time I run an errand to bank or to the grocery store, I will be sick for next 4 days because my body is fighting whatever was going around.

My former employer was also puzzle and question of having this insurance for their employees because they can clear see this was exact reason they have obtained this policy. All we saw was their greediness to write a policy but not follow up on their obligation. You are asking why now? Well because my foggy brain is less cloudy this days and I am still angry about them getting away with their negligent practice. I have grown up with watching their sponsored nature programs. I always thought they are one of the best companies around. But boy I was wrong. How can they justified denying a disability claim to a cancer patient who have endured two years of chemotherapy while working until body gave out. What is the purpose of your policy if not for situation like mine? I will ask everyone who will read this? Isn't it scam? They are not much different from scam artist.

I had a multi-level spinal fusion May of 2013. The results were great for the first six or seven months. Around the beginning of 2014 the nerve damage pain started coming back. I had to stop working August of 2014. My employer provided Mutual of Omaha Long Term Disability Insurance as part of my benefits package. I didn't immediately file my LTD claim because doctor wanted to try physical therapy for six weeks with the hope that would improve my condition. The six weeks passed without improvement and it became obvious I would need to submit a claim for LTD. My employer assisted me in obtaining the necessary forms as well as making the submission when all was completed.

I knew I was unable to work and only had enough savings to survive for a limited amount of time. I had heard horror stories about people's claims being denied. These stories seemed to all be confirmed when I did research on Mutual of Omaha Long Term Disability and read negative review after negative review. Needless to say my stress level was out the roof. This brings me to the reason I felt compelled to write a review. Mutual of Omaha followed the timelines outlined in my policy to the letter.

In my claim I pointed out that I had used several of my personal days off due to the condition that cause disability. My claim was approved on first attempt. The start date of my disability was adjusted to give me credit for the personal days I used. I receive the direct deposit like clockwork and the yearly cost of living increase came through with no effort required. In 14 months they have requested 2 periodic updates which require my doctors and I to complete a couple pages each. To wrap this up, if you are reading reviews because you have or are in process of filing a claim. THEY DO APPROVE PEOPLE.

I been trying to file my claim. Sonia ** was very nice the first conversation when I open the claim. I have gotten everything she has need when it a 24 hour or less time frame. I have been calling her for the last 2 weeks. She refuse to take my calls. This morning I called the customer service line and the lady on the phone told me "hurry up I have other calls waiting". This company is the worst. Please take your business elsewhere or you will be filing complaints like me. I have income after having a life threatening surgery. Buyer beware.

Purchased short term disability ins. just to be safe, thinking I'd never have to use it. Selected a policy with a higher premium to receive a check in 2 weeks. Of course the day came where I needed it. I filled out the claim forms, faxed them over and waited two weeks. Three weeks came & went. Called up the company and was told they never received the forms. Faxed again. Fourth week called, was told waiting for records from physician. Fifth week called, where is my check? Again waiting for records. Called my agent. No return call.

Sixth week called, still no records. Why am I paying a higher premium when there is no check?? I called agent, no return call. Seventh wk, finally received records. Going to underwriter, really?? Where is my $$$? Called agent again. No return call. Now past two months. This company is HORRIBLE!!! STILL WAITING!! RIDICULOUS. Never have had this service with any other company. Do not waste your time looking into insurance with this company. I am doing you a huge favor. Please listen to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

My husband went into kidney failure in August 2013 and almost died. He had to be off work for awhile due to dialysis and not feeling well, not to mention the severe PTSD that followed. My husband's mental state was also deteriorating. After his 12 weeks were up of short term disability with Mutual of Omaha, his employer had to let him go because he was unable to return back to work. This put him into a drastic increase to my husband's mental state. So my husband was able to get on long term disability with Mutual of Omaha. His kidneys were slowly but surely getting better (yet they will never be 100%), but his mental state was not.

It is from this time to present that I speak on his behalf of any doctors or any officials because my husband's condition is so severe he is unable to talk on the phone. He can not handle driving, has trouble talking face to face with people, and his moods were shifting all over the place. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, manic-depression, anxiety and severe mood swings. Since his kidney numbers were looking slightly better, they tried to take my husband off of disability saying he could work, although his psychiatrist wrote in his notes that my husband will most likely never be able to work again. He also noted my husband's constant suicidal thoughts and instances of self-harm. With notes from the psychiatrist and a constant battle with them, my husband was again able to receive long term benefits.

Well a few months later he was denied completely of his long term. We called and said no one has informed or tried to contact us about his disability being under review because we would've provided any information they asked for and they replied with, "long term disability is always up for review". Yet they never contacted me about needing any documents, especially the one the psychiatrist needed to fill out. My husband's psychiatrist never filled out the paper, so apparently this is our fault. His psychiatrist was tired of always having to send over paperwork and repeating the same paperwork over and over again. His psychiatrist said that it just seems like they didn't want to pay my husband anymore.

Their response to my question of why we were not contacted about the paperwork that needed to be filled out by the psychiatrist was, "we cannot disclose that information to you". They told us we needed to file an appeal and send in several different documents, WHICH WE HAVE DONE. Now they are saying they can't make a decision until my husband sees one of THEIR doctors. THEY NEVER TOLD US THAT THAT WOULD BE ONE OF THE REQUIREMENTS.

I don't understand why they are making us jump through hoops and are consistently lying to us! We have done everything they have asked. We are beyond upset we have tried telling them that we are about to lose our home and are 4 months behind on our bills and they replied with, "There's nothing we can do for you". I am going to get a lawyer for us being prejudice and especially for the pain and suffering they have caused my husband and his condition to EXTREMELY worsen.

I do not recommend Prudential or Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance to no one!!! Why? Well for starters, my employer advertised the policy will pay 50% of your salary, but later was informed after I had to utilize the policy that the policy pays $600 dollars weekly maximum no matter what your salary is. The payments are late weekly and Mutual of Omaha does not utilize direct deposit. My advice is to not use this money to pay bills because you will always be late.

I have General Dystonia. I tried and tried to continue to work, but was sent home a few times because I was shaking so much, and eventually, spent more time in the bathroom crying than working. There's no crying at work! Eventually I was only able to make it on average for 2 hours of work, at when ended up as 1-2 days only. I submitted short term claim, and that went through, but not until 3 months later. They do not pay on a weekly or monthly basis. They pay when and if they feel like it. Took them 5 months to figure out how to deny my LTD. Meanwhile no payments whatsoever for LTD. The Rep was drafting a letter approx 3 weeks ago that I was supposed to receive explaining their decision. No letter yet. I expect they will use the date on the letter, as the date she "started" working on it. Then, by the time I get it (if I ever do) the time limit for appeal will probably have passed. Who knows. We'll see.

Super broke now. In debt big time to my loving friends and family. Leaving my home. More than likely no money will be available to hire a lawyer and fight it. I'm furious! Furthermore, why was it OK for them to accept my short term disability claim and somehow find a loophole to deny the long term. They also said we think you're fine, and should be able to work. That's physically impossible. Emotionally and Financially DEVASTATED! I've worked since I was 14, with the exception of a few years raising my kids. Want to hear something funny? I was unable to contact anyone at Mutual of Omaha for MONTHS. No returned phone calls. No emails... No letters. I was desperate! So I decided to email every department at their company. Guess who responded? The IT Department! Omgosh! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

The IT dept has better customer service and communication than the 3 representatives I went through later, who accomplished nothing. I was told that it's out of their hands and is decided by medical. I believe that's true. So I realize the reps are at a loss if the other dept.'s aren't doing their job. The general response when I would call to check status was "It's been sent for review with the medical dept". Once that 30 days was over, they again said, "It's been sent through to a medical specialist, for review, again". They had me running all over hell's acre's to resubmit papers that were already submitted 2 and 3 times. Going to pharmacies that I never use, to get print outs to prove I had no medications filled there. Commonplace is for the rep to denied receiving records.

They denied receiving some of my voice mails and emails. They denied receiving a lot of my doctor's submitted paperwork, even though my doctor's office had confirmation transmission reports on everyone. So, I copied everything. I worked so closely with the medical records dept. at my doctor's office, that we are now on a first name basis. We're phone friends now. She, bless her heart, finally printed all of my records back to 2012 and left me a package at the desk. I copied them, scanned and emailed them and sent them certified mail. Never received notification that they had received them via USPS. I could go on forever. Last but not least; they made me feel like a liar, looser and unimportant. I also had representatives that were rude, and behaved as if I was interrupting their day. Good Grief. Shameful! That's all for now...

I am sick with Diabetes, Fibromyalgia and Sarcoidosis, all diagnosed active illnesses. I became so ill with fatigue and pain I asked two of my doctors to fill out a LTD request form so that I could stop working due to my illnesses. Both doctors filled out the forms and I submitted the requested information, this was in early July, 2015. Then late July more request for medical records came from Mutual of Omaha and again in August 2015 I believe.

Then in September 2015, a notification that a medical expert would be sought to review my claim, even though they had both doctors forms and all of my medical records. Then without getting any clarification as to the September 2015 notification, I received notification in October 2015 this month that they were awaiting an explanation and further clarification from one of my doctors that had already submitted records and a LTD form back in July 2015. So now we have gone from early July 2015 to nine days in October 2015 only to be denied by special email, but to be fair, the case worker did call to give me an explanation.

Now I feel that this was stretched out much further than it should have been and I feel as though I have been given the run around and the old brush off. I am sure of the three illness. I have surely someone would not doubt how sick I become, sometimes daily, and really depended on my insurance to help me through this difficult time. Now I have no job, no income and no medical insurance. I lost my car, and am receiving SNAP benefits and will lose my apartment for non payment of rent at the end of this month October 2015.

I had just lost my husband. I had a bad car accident. I just was not able to work. I have cervical dystonia. My neck was always in pain and many other health issues. I said to the lady, "I have paid for this many years." She said smartly, "Everyone says that." I was very discouraged with this company. I had doctors' statements. I was denied twice for short term disability.

I was diagnosed with a degenerative disease several years ago, Ankylosing Spondyloarthropathy. I've been dealing with it, managing my own pain and so forth. It has progressed rapidly in the last 2 years. I was on short term disability thru my employer (reduced hours, to no more than 6 per day) with pain management help with Doctors. I ran out of short term disability and filed a claim for long-term with MO. The only reason I am giving a single start is because the insurance person, while being short with me once, was generally a nice person to speak to. We, doctors (Human Resources and myself), jumped thru giant hoops trying to get this to go.

The insurance person kept asking again and again, we need an MRI. I've had bilateral hip replacements. I can't have an MRI. The insurance person, later, after cc'ing my company HR person and myself, recanted and said that I didn't need to get an MRI just for her. The insurance person submitted all my paperwork to the "nurse" reviewer. Question 1: why a nurse review? It's been 14 business days, and I had to call MO. When I stated my name the insurance person said hello in a voice reminiscent of getting a call from an ex. I said "uh oh". The insurance person stated that the "nurse" had declined the LTD and stated that it was not necessary.

I was asked if my employer had provided for my limitations, I said yes and gave specifics. I was asked about other equipment that I declined with my employer, 1) because for the length of time that I could utilize it, per day, would not warrant the cost spent on this piece of equipment 2) the noise disruption with my group would be great (it's noisy).

I was told, that this equipment information would be passed on to the "nurse" and they would be in touch. I asked why is a nurse reviewing this and not a doctor. I was told, "That's just the way we do things here." Ooooh kay!!! I am not degrading a nurses' expertise as some are more on-the-ball than some Doctors, but the review of something as important as this is should be done by a qualified Doctor in the field of the disability. So there we stand. I was convinced by my HR person to pursue this and it's come back to bite me in the backside. I guess no matter what I'll have to get an atty., if it's for the LTD or workers compensation... as this will probably go to that. I don't know. I will update as I find out more.

The company had always been trouble to deal with, from 1 hour hold times on a phone call to lack of communication. Their documentation process is weak and they work with legacy systems and do not invest your money you pay them advancing into the 21st century. David **, in particular, was a very rude, unhelpful sort that berated me for asking why the backlog of documentation I had sent was insufficient to prove my disability. I am 100% disabled veteran who suffers from Neuro Cardiological Syncope, with frequent episodes, and the doctors are at a stand still but still see me to check on how I am doing. Mutual of Omaha has made it their mission to get out of the terms of my policy by every means necessary and refuse to contact me by email or by phone, though those are my preferred methods. I have never been so disgusted with a company.

I was in an accident on October 10, 2014. I had a severe neck and back injury and have been under the constant care of a orthopedic surgeon. I have had two months of Physical Therapy, several point injections for pain and a spinal Injection to reduce the swelling in my neck. This procedure took 6 weeks to schedule due to insurance regulations, required physical therapy before an MRI and then finally the spinal injection. I had relief for about one week. I had to fight with Mutual of Omaha (MO) every month trying to get paid my benefit check which according to my contract was to be paid weekly.

According to Mutual of Omaha (MO) they were conducting a "medical review". I asked them if they were diagnosing me. They claimed that their nurse team was looking at my doctor's notes and reviewing my case. After begging, pleading and crying, demanding to speak to a supervisor, I was allowed benefits from October 20th until December 3rd the day of my injection (As if I could jump up and return to work the next day!). I tried to return to work part time (my doctor released me for part time only which she documented and sent to MO) on the 8th of December. After a couple of days at work I returned to my doctor with severe migraine headaches. By the end of that week the nerve pain had returned to my neck and arm. I returned to my doctor and they are scheduling a second injection.

Mutual of Omaha has denied my benefits for part time coverage and have verbally told me that they found nothing wrong with me after their "medical review". They have not scheduled their own doctor (I would gladly go) nor have they considered my doctor's diagnosis and instructions. They say that according to my limited job description I can return to work full time. I reported this back to my doctor when I had to return last week due to excruciating pain in my low back and left leg. X rays have determined that I have two compressed disks and one that is slipping. I had another MRI on Saturday. My Orthopedic had focused on my neck injury initially due to the severity of the pain but now my initial complaint of low back pain has surfaced due to overexertion.

Shame on Mutual of Omaha who have caused me to go into debt with my credit cards. Borrow money to keep a roof over my head and continue to cause harm by making me feel I have no choice but to work. Where are the laws that protect a consumer from insurance company fraud. No one should pay a premium for insurance protecting their income and then be faced not only with an injury but a constant battle to be paid! Still at war... Mental, physical and financial damages caused by the company I paid to give me some relief if I ever found myself in this unfortunate condition! I have passed this information on to my Orthopedic and she has made explicit notes for their next review. At this point I don't know which is worse the unbearable pain I am constantly in for months now or the inevitable financial destruction being caused by nonpayment from Mutual Of Omaha.

My husband had a disability insurance policy with Mutual of Omaha. When he turned age 65 he received a surrender check which was supposed to be for all premiums paid less any claims made. They only would give me a lump sum of claims paid. Their total amount of claims do not agree with his records but they refuse to give us an itemized list. We refused to cash the check because, as I understand it, if we cashed the check it would be accepting it as paid in full. Instead of working with us they have turned it over to Unclaimed Property. I'm assuming that if they won't be upfront with us, that they are cheating as they tried to do before. We got an attorney and they paid.

Found out I had to have surgery. I have insurance for short term through work. I started weeks before with paperwork so I wouldn't have to worry while I was recovering. All a dream. When I didn't receive a check, I called and they said they needed more paperwork. On and on, I have bill collectors now, horrible late fees, and they are still bumbling over what to do. They are a bunch of monkeys, heartless people, and lazy.

I was on disability for stress leave. They denied my claim. With all of the doctor reports that was sent to them by Kaiser. Bad attitudes.

I have Long term disability with Mutual of Omaha, and when I was diagnosed with an illness that will eventually take my life, I figured things would be okay when I could no longer work. Boy, was I wrong. Mutual of Omaha denied my claim. They determined that I could still work, even when my doctor said I couldn't! Mutual of Omaha is a rip-off! Please I can't stress enough do not waste your money on this company.

I sent all requested documentation confirming condition, MRI, doctor, and spine specialist and Mutual of Omaha continues to deny my benefits claim. After the first request for paperwork, Mutual of Omaha kept requesting more paperwork according to notes from my provider. Never ever do business with this company! I have kids and no money to pay for bills or food. They should be ashamed and know these are not "in good faith" business practices. We pay for these benefits; they are not free.

Short Term Disability Rip-Off: I have been off of work since 5/22/2012. I purchased Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability with Mutual of Omaha through my company when I was first hired. I had back surgery last summer (wasn't covered then due to a one year waiting period on preexisting conditions, which I completely understood and had no problem with. Shortly after having the surgery, my back got worse (I guess they are calling it failed back surgery or something like that). I managed to keep working even though the pain was increasing every month. I soon found out that I also have Fibromyalgia, which was not helping the situation. I was going to all kinds of doctors to find someone to help me. I had many pain management procedures over the past year, all offering little to no relief. I saw many Spinal Surgeons who had no idea why I have this pain.

In mid-may, I was caring for my father who was diagnosed with bladder cancer and had to have major surgery. During the week I cared for him, I re-herniated the disk that was operated on a year earlier. I knew that taking care of him was more than I could handle and he went to stay with a sibling after one week. I called my pain management doctor and he confirmed the herniation with an MRI (in addition to several other problems previously diagnosed with my spine). He tried everything he could to help, but nothing worked. The pain is unbearable now. I cannot stand for 2 minutes without excruciating pain. Sitting in a chair is horrible and I cannot do it for an entire day at work.

My family doctor agreed that a leave of absence was necessary until I could get relief. She filled out my claim form and I submitted it. They contacted every doctor that I see and requested every piece of medical evidence that they could. The physical therapist's notes said that I can only do 25% of daily activities. My Rheumatologist had notes of the extreme fatigue, pain and other symptoms I was experiencing. My pain management doctor had detailed notes of the amount of pain I am in. But none of this was good enough for them. They denied my claim! Their reasons were that in PT's notes it was stated that I was caring for an ill family member (um, yes, before I went on disability), and also that I was traveling out of the country. I went to Punta Cana for my sister's wedding, which I discussed with my Rheumatologist and pain management doctor and it ended up in office notes. They both said it would be good for me and I should go.

My pain went with me, but the beach is a better view than my living room. I had to take many days to recuperate from the travel, but the trip was already paid for months prior and we couldn't get our money back. All I did was lay on the beach and relax! And finally, they said I didn't finish the recommended Physical Therapy (this was at the advice of my pain management doctor because the PT was making me worse and I couldn't afford it anymore because I was off of work and not getting paid. This denial came two and a half months after filing my claim! I submitted an appeal to the denial a month ago and found out in a voicemail left for me on Thursday that my appeal was denied. Not sure yet what ridiculous reasons they trumped up this time! I explained, in detail, why the reasons they gave me for denial were inaccurate. I gave them further medical documentation I had since first filing the claim. I gave evidence of new symptoms I am experiencing and clearly explaining that I would love to go back to my job, but I can't until I find resolution.

My pain management doctor has narrowed down the cause of my pain to my SI joints, but treatments for this gave me only very brief relief. I will need to have my SI joints fused. It will be two separate surgeries, each followed by a 6-8 week recovery period. I found a surgeon whom I like and is well practiced in this area (they are hard to find for this specific surgery). I am working with him now to do whatever other tests are required before we can schedule surgery. Almost there! I am now 4 months off of work without receiving any disability benefits that I pay for. I have a pile of medical bills that I cannot pay. I am having trouble paying the regular bills as we live week-to-week on two incomes and now we only have one. I had started a nice little IRA for myself 4 years ago, that is now gone to pay for bills and medical expenses. We are trying to sell one of our cars to help, but it hasn't sold yet. Our credit cards are all maxed out now and we are at the end of our rope.

I am well into the Long Term Disability portion of my policy (starts at 3 months), but I only just received a decision on my short-term policy. I do not want to even file my long-term claim because it will get help up in reviews at this point. Once I have the first surgery date established, I will submit it. But I am leery from what I went through with short-term disability. I wonder if having a surgery date scheduled will even make a difference. I have seen better results from people applying for Social Security Disability than what I have gotten with Mutual of Omaha. I was a licensed insurance agent and sold short-term disability policies with other companies. I helped my customers file claims and I never saw them get treated like this. If my doctors say I can't work, that should be it, bottom line! I filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau when they denied my claim the first time. Now, I am now working on finding a lawyer who can help me to sue Mutual of Omaha for my disability benefits, the IRA that is now empty, the stack of medical bills, the credit card debt accrued during this time and the extra pain that they have caused me in Fibromyalgia flair ups due to the added stress.

My benefits manager applied for disability (short term) on June 13, 2012. My doctors have sent records time after time. I have called multiple times and each time, I was told they were waiting for yet another piece of information and following the receipt of the information, it would take "another 6 days" to review. Either they have an exceptionally inept department of morons or they are thieves. I, too, have now run out of money from my vacation and sick time. I have filed a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner's office. Hopefully, this will help some as I cannot afford to hire an attorney nor the time it would take to have one act on my behalf. I will continue to let everyone I know that these people are no better than thieves. I have been paying for this for over 8 years and now they have just thrown me under the bus. I haven't received any money from these thieves.

Disability claim - I am having a bone marrow transplant. I filed a claim with Mutual of Omaha Insurance. I feel that I am being given the runaround. I have two policies with them but they keep asking for more and more information, that I have sent over and over again. I made my claim in June.

I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. I would like the opportunity to research the status of your claim and provide you additional assistance. If you could send me your contact and claim information through a private response, I will call you back so we can discuss. Thank you.

On April 22, 2011, I incurred an injury while playing basketball. On May 6, 2011, I filed a claim for disability insurance with Mutual of Omaha for a ruptured Achilles tendon that required surgery and several months off work. On May 10, 2011, Mutual of Omaha received the claim and assigned the case to Debra **. After talking with customer service, I was informed that the claim would take about 30 days to process, but that was erroneously conveyed as the specialist I spoke to by the name of Mindy ** informed me that the case takes longer and there were several steps to insure the claim was expedited appropriately. I allowed another month to pass with no response to the claim, so I contacted Debra **, who returned no phone calls or responded to emails sent. It has been 4 months, and the claim is still unresolved.

Please send an email to CustomerCare@mutualofomaha.com with your phone number and best time to call.

I was a truck driver under a lot of stress and suffered from high blood pressure and insomnia. The company sent me home 2000 miles on an RR train and caused me to lose most of my personal belongings. I was told I would receive short-term disability after a 30-day wait period (unlike my home state where it's after 3 days!). But no short-term disability, it was declined. They said because it wasn't caused by the job. It was, because that's where all the stress and sleep disruption took place. I was on that ** truck for weeks, sometimes months at a time against my will without being allowed to go home. With the company (a big name, major player based in the same state as MOO) pressuring me to do things that weren't safe or legal, is it any wonder I got stressed? But MOO denies it out of hand.

I've been off at work since January 6th 2010 and have been diagnosis with MS. Mutual of Omaha paid me from January 29th 2010 to March 1st 2010.

Today is June 28th 2010 and I'm still off work. The letter that Mutual of Omaha wrote me states that if you are claiming disability from March 2nd 2010 forward, it will be necessary that clinical office notes, including results of any laboratory test, x-rays or other test which have been performed, be provided to Mutual of Omaha. A written release from the doctor is not sufficient to certify disability. Mutual of Omaha requested all the information from my doctor.

I called Mutual of Omaha on June 4th 2010 to ask about a payment that was approved for March 3rd to 15th 2010; the payment has been in review since April 1st 2010. Mutual of Omaha is a joke! I have headaches everyday and I'm stressed because I have no money to pay my bills.

My mother bought a life insurance policy on herself in April 1998. She was diagnosed with a stroke in September 2004 and therefore unable to work. She had no income for a while until her disability or SSI could be determined. September 2009 the agent named above came to her home and demanded she pay a certain amount along with some other family members. She was frightened and with the lack of knowledge, didn't know what to do. She called me and I then reported the agent in question to Mutual of Omaha main office. While I was on the phone with agent Amanda from the main office, I then told her to cancel my policy with the company and transfer my policy over to my mother's policy so the agent David would leave her alone. Now April 3, 2010, when my mother died, the company is telling me that my mother does not have a policy and I am the only one that has a policy with the company. I know this is unfair and unjust what the agent and the Mutual of Omaha company has allowed to happen to policyholders like this. I still am unable to cancel my policy with this company.

I applied for a short-term disability in August 2009 and it is now February 2010. Mutual of Omaha keeps requesting the same information from my doctors over and over. I was denied initially and appealed. They keep saying that they need more information and 45 more days. This is the third time they have said this and I am still unclear as to what they want because I signed a release with my doctor to turn over all of my medical records since August to be sure they had what they needed. I personally faxed these records and they still say they are waiting for a reply from my doctor and need another 45 days to decide my claim. They owe me nine weeks at $250 per week, so it is not a large claim but has caused me to have to apply for food stamps.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Mutual of Omaha is a mutually funded insurance company headquartered in Nebraska. It offers insurance in almost every state via its 4,900 associates.

• Location-specific plans: Users can provide their address to receive policies customized to their region, browse plans online or get general information if they don't want to provide a location.
  • Offers needs assessment calculator: Consumers can determine how much coverage they need by using this online tool.
  • Guaranteed renewable: Insureds can renew their policy annually until they reach the age of 67, regardless of their health status.
  • Offers business overhead expense insurance: Individuals who own their own business may want to purchase a plan that covers overhead expenses if they become too disabled to run their business.
  • Offers accident-only plan: Users who are in good health and don't want to pay a lot can purchase a policy that covers short-term disability only in the event of an accident.
  • Best for People who have been injured and people who are recovering from surgery.

Compare Disability Insurance