1.23/5

86 Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Unless you are having surgery, or something where there is no question you will be disabled, chances are they won't cover it, or you will have to fight them to get reimbursement. My wife got an autoimmune disease which makes her weak and she sleeps a lot. She has not been able to work for five months now. What she has, takes about 6 months to cure. Short term disability was supposed to cover the first three months and then go to long term. We and the doctors have completed every form they have requested.

They keep asking for more forms to be filled out by us and doctors. Then they turn down the claim because they don't consider her disease a disability. We appeal, they ask for more forms, then they turn it down again. I feel that all this stress has added to the length of my wife's disability. She starts showing signs of improvement, then relapses when they tell her they won't cover the disability. I have talked to a lawyer and he says there is definitely a case. In conclusion, find a different company for your insurance. Don't risk not being covered, when you need it.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Eric. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 26, 2019

I had severe nerve pain in right arm, elbow, wrist and fingers. First surgeon insisted it was carpal tunnel. Had surgery 3-8. (Was covered by workmans' comp.) Did not fix problems. Was released and referred to spine surgeon 5-23-19 (personal medical insurance). MRI showed moderate to severe stenosis, surgeon says I have a slight agenesis of the c6 pedicle, I will also need 3 or 4 vertebrae fused. Have been unable to work and lay flat in bed. I have to sleep upright in a chair to relieve pain.

Review department is in its third review. I've been off work and under a surgeon's care the whole time. I have exhausted savings paying for COBRA insurance and bills. It is now 2 months since release from workmans' comp. (7-26-19) with no end in sight. Karen ** my caseworker can only check and say it's still in review, her supervisor Eric ** didn't return my calls. I paid weekly for years to cover unforeseen circumstances like this and you've left us stranded. There's got to be a better way to verify and process claims on your part.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, David. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 18, 2019

I asked for disability insurance where if I died or became disabled, Mutual would pay my mortgage. An agent came to my home and seemed vague if Mutual would accept me or not. Demanded that Mutual only auto drafts my account. The agreement was a $99 package deal. She changed everything after she left. I expressed concerns cause with autopay even though it's "easy for the consumer " as she stated, it's often abused by companies. They do and take what they want.

I got notice they were taking out $18 for cancer insurance which I declined. How often the withdrawal, I don't know. Now they are going to withdraw $59 for term life insurance. I had already canceled this company more than a month ago. See, abuse with autopay. I didnt ask for term life. I asked for the disability/ death benefits so if I die my home is paid. Now I have to waste another entire break at work calling these people to have that removed. She totally changed everything on the contract after leaving.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Barbara. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: June 24, 2019

My experience started off well, however when I had to apply for an extension, everything went downhill. It's unfortunate that as person with a disability I have to fight just for consideration and decent treatment. I don't have any more savings. I need this extension. I was met with a condescending nonchalant attitude. I believe denial is just a forced habit to save money.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Eboni. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Thank God we have savings and weren't depending on Mutual of Omaha to buy groceries or my family would have starved by now. I have an undisputed and well-documented (Orthopedic surgeon & MRI) back problem/injury that prevents me from working my truck driving job. M of O initially paid me without much difficulty, but it has gotten progressively harder and harder to get benefits. I have successfully appealed M of O twice after they cancelled my benefits (both cancellations were groundless), and I am presently appealing their third cancellation! I haven't been paid since November of 2018 even though my condition is unchanged.

This time they are stating that I violated the policy by not being under the "regular, in-person" treatment of a physician. This is nonsense! They are aware of the fact that I did 7 months of intense physical therapy but was eventually discharged because I wasn't improving. The Orthopedic Surgeon discharged me after he determined I was not responding to PT and there were no further treatment options. I then transferred to an MD who prescribes me pain medication and **. However, there is no reason for me to go into the clinic for this pain-management treatment, so I call-in for prescription refills. Because I telephone for prescriptions rather than drive 25 mile round trip and waste the Doctor's time with an unnecessary and expensive in-person visit, M of O is refusing to pay.

The worst part is this: I SPECIFICALLY E-MAILED my M of O claims rep over a year ago when I was discharged by the Orthopedic Surgeon and asked her how often I needed to be seen to meet the "regular, in-person" treatment requirement of my policy. She answered IN WRITING that M of O cannot make that determination, and that the frequency of treatment is up to the treating physician. Now they cancelled my benefits because I am supposedly not being seen enough! So in other words, my M of O claims rep LIED TO ME and SET ME UP for cancellation.

This third appeal is my last effort to get paid before I hire a lawyer. Unfortunately, lawyers take about 1/3, so I have been postponing expensive and time-consuming legal action. If I don't get paid quickly I will also be making an honest YouTube video to describe these shady Mutual of Omaha practices. I have recorded and documented everything (in a completely legal manner) including numerous e-mail exchanges with my FOUR claims reps (YES, they've changed my claim person four times!). Maybe I can warn others to stay away from this group.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Pete. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: June 17, 2019

My company switched to this company recently and I’ve had nothing but headaches. First they denied two injury claims: one because 12 years ago my husband had a back injury, bo problems for 12 but it’s a “preexisting” condition and the other was “not an accident” (a sprained ankle). Now they have taken over a week to pay another claim to me. First they said it was approved, then they needed more information. Then said I’d have it in my account within 72 hours. It’s been longer than that. Don’t do any business with this company. They are very shady and full of excuses.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, April. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I had Disability insurance with Mutual of Omaha through my employer. I have serious heart disability and was considered for a heart transplant. Currently my heart works less then 50%, I’m diabetic requiring 2 shots a day, and other medical issues. I find it difficult to do the simplest activity. I sleep most of my day. However, every year and under a tight time requirement, I have to try to get paperwork to my doctor to be completed.

No I received a phone call stating a request to review my social security offset. I have been disabled for 10 years. Now I being asked again, after the first 2 years of hell, to review my social security income again. I totally don’t understand why or what is going on? Are they wanting the cost of living increases from social security the past 10 years? The small amount of income they are paying me reduced more????

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, David. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I was approved for short term disability and was paid by my employer. When the time came for the long term disability to begin I was approved. But MOO stated they have to do more research and get more info about my condition. I was already on six months of short term disability and they took another three months to tell me I had a pre existing condition.. which is impossible. I been three months behind on mortgage payments. It’s sad how they waited and waited trying to find anything to not payout. I am totally disgusted.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Pearlene. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Updated on 06/21/2019: Working on an Appeal and was denied once again, what does Mutual of Omaha understand that Epilepsy and seizure disorder is a condition/disability in the state of TN. I am so tired of their so called "top 2 physicians" see nothing wrong. Sugar coat sugar coat. I have paid into Mutual of Omaha for years and currently on ADA. This is my second review and nothing will be done, stress is a huge trigger for my seizures and I will be seeking a lawyer.

Original review: Denial for Epilepsy = Complex Partial seizures. I’m no doctor but I’d say epilepsy affects the brain tremendously, even eventually causing damage. Part of the brain is not functioning properly! That part may function to a certain extent but in turn causes the learning disabilities and epilepsy, also anti epileptic meds slow brain waves. I have dyslexia at times. Don’t take my word for it though, the brain is so complex that even neuroscientists don’t fully understand everything about it.

I truly think your nurses and medical staff need to educate their self more on my condition. Partial complex seizures/epilepsy is not a disabling condition??? I need a paper copy of denial letter. I am insulted and very hurt! The EEG should be proof alone! Don't tell me, I don't have a condition, the anti-seizure medicine alone is horrible. If your team of medical staff only was educated enough! Like asked please send me a letter denial in mail, not secured email... Denied! Do me a favor and don't send me an automatic reply about how sorry we are for your experience like all the reviews posted. I HAVE PAID IN FOR YEARS FOR THE STD/LTD TO BE DENIED FOR A SERIOUS CONDITION... Did you know epilepsy kills 50,000 people a year versus 39,500 people with breast cancer a year. Facts. Educated your so called medical staff on my condition! This needs to be fixed, or I will take action.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Chastity. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 7, 2019

This is a fraudulent company. Get a lawyer. This company like to spend money in their own circle of people to perpetuates the money. I have been out of work for nearly a year now. All the paperwork was in order right from the get-go and then you decided they need more information making doctors and myself who is very injured doing this episode. After denying the first round I decided to go to the insurance commissioner to see if they can help because that's what you have to do so I did that. Insurance commissioner advise them that they would not doing their investigation properly. This being said my employer wrote that I could not do my job because of my duties that needed to be performed while at work.

Mutual of Omaha hired outside medical professionals to discredit mine medical professionals to only stall. Meanwhile I had a multiple level ACDF cervical spine fusion C3 through C7 which of course is a major surgery. While preparing for the surgery I need it to be resting and after the surgery need to be resting. This however was never enough 4 the long term disability Mutual of Omaha. They somehow think that I made this all up. Instead of of helping with the situation believing in this situation they just keep denying. I'm in the final stages of my appeal. They owe me $22,000 this moment and they refused to own up to this policy because it was a physical problem that I had. It was elected then I had previous post-traumatic stress disorder.

He wanted to know my whole life story based on the fact if they were trying not to pay rather than just paying for the disability in front of them which was more than enough for this policy. I paid for that policy and they denied me. I want my money back and the money that they owe me. I don't think that people deserve to go through this malicious evil technique Mutual of Omaha rather than going through long term disability. The United States government should own up. Is there a responsibility to the workers of this country? Why do we have to go through these fraudulent hopeless companies to benefit? I would disability if United States government would listen to the the doctors who are part of the AMA.

We would not have to go through this process of being poor because of the disability that happened accidentally and incidentally I did not do this to myself. I was in an automobile accident which caused me great pain. I work for 3 and 1/2 years until the pain was so severe did it actually drove me to the point of surgery. I should have been commended for my time that I did work trying to get through the process healing the injury I sustained instead I got mental anguish and lies from Mutual of Omaha company. I will not take this laying down. This company should be shut down for their fraudulent acts to defraud the American people.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Robert. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mutual of Omaha is a mutually funded insurance company headquartered in Nebraska. It offers insurance in almost every state via its 4,900 associates.

• Location-specific plans: Users can provide their address to receive policies customized to their region, browse plans online or get general information if they don't want to provide a location.

• Offers needs assessment calculator: Consumers can determine how much coverage they need by using this online tool.

• Guaranteed renewable: Insureds can renew their policy annually until they reach the age of 67, regardless of their health status.

• Offers business overhead expense insurance: Individuals who own their own business may want to purchase a plan that covers overhead expenses if they become too disabled to run their business.

• Offers accident-only plan: Users who are in good health and don't want to pay a lot can purchase a policy that covers short-term disability only in the event of an accident.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people who are recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky