1.29/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

45 Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2018

This has been the worst experience ever. It’s probably going to cause me bankruptcy. I fainted and got a concussion. I lost consciousness and 911 was called. I’ve been to 2 er’s And was sent home from work until I could get clearance. My neurologist would not clear me and I was sent to a neuropsycotherapist. After being off work 2.5 mo I finally got cleared for work. Mutual of Omaha is doing everything they can to not pay me. They are seeking all kinds of info on me that has nothing to do with my injury.

I’m alone. I’ve used every resource possible to survive and been very blessed with resources but now heavily in debt also. This ruining my life. At this point they owe me several thousand dollars and I don’t have enough medical info to support being off work even though my neurologist is a specialist in concussions. I am in extreme anxiety and despair. I will be months catching up with my payments. I thought it was their job to support their customers, now I realize they are your enemy. My case is not closed yet, but I now realize they are working against me.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Dawn. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 31, 2018

I went on disability insurance around Jan 1 2018. It took 9 weeks to get my first short-term disability check. They only send a check after repeated calling and asking about it. I have lupus and fibromyalgia and can't work. This company is awful about paying claims. It sure was taken out of my paycheck every week to pay premiums.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Sheila. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 18, 2018

I started my STD claim 3 weeks ago and I had to call them to find out there was a problem with a form my doctor's office had sent in. IT WAS ONE OF THEIR OWN FORMS, how can it be inadequate? Now I have to wait at a minimum of two more weeks to see if anything happens, much less to start receiving benefits that I paid for. Oh they're professional enough on the phone, but that's all a smoke and mirrors act, and it's designed to make you wait longer. Eventually they hope you'll just give up and go away, just like every other insurance company. I'm tired of fighting an insurance company when I'm sick and I'm not seeing any benefit whatsoever.

Updated on 06/08/2018: I was told a week ago that my benefits check was cut and sent Monday, and here it is Friday. No check. It took 4 months to go through their process and now I'm about to be homeless and I can't afford my drug refills that are due. I sent an email to a rep, but she just tells me the check is in the mail. Why would you do this to someone who has incredible anxiety and depression? Are you trying to kill me?

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Lance. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have short-term disability insurance with Mutual of Omaha. They discontinued my pay due to not receiving my medical records. I had Bell's Palsy and had trouble speaking for a while. I work in a call center. My doctor approved the time off. Documented all of the required paperwork and my claim was still denied. Fortunately, I found other means to pay my bills, thank God, but no thanks to the insurance company I've been paying. This company is a waste of time and my money. The policy will be canceled.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Angie. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have been covered by a group STD policy as a salaried executive. At the end of November last year I had a TIA and have had ongoing issues with my feet and legs with excessive edema. When I had the TIA, I was hospitalized for three days and used personal time, so I had no lost wages. I have worked since then because the other two executives were out of the country for the most part and my absence would cripple the company. My work was suffering because I couldn’t do it effectively so I began the process of looking at taking FMLA and applying for STD benefits. I missed work the second and third week of March because of my health and used personal time for one week and the company didn’t deduct for the other week.

I filed my claim on a Sunday as my doctor had decided to put me out for three months to get me the treatments I needed. I went to the office the following day to discuss the fact I was going on STD and was notified the company decided to take my position in a different direction and let me go. Mutual of Omaha is now saying I had no lost wages prior to termination and that I have no claim. My disability was clearly documented and known before my termination by my employer and my claim was recorded and accepted prior to my company terminating me. I am a parent of 6 special needs children who I am trying to make sure are taken care of but the actions of MoO are making things so difficult to do. MoO, I am completely astonished at your actions.

UPDATE ON 04/30/2018: After being denied and being contacted by the insurance company after posting a review my claim was revisited. It has been two weeks since the contact and I am no further along than I was before. I submitted my medical records release on the day after the initial claim and was told a week ago they needed it because they didn't have it. It has been four weeks since my original claim was filed and my medical condition is still as it was when I couldn't fulfill my job functions which put me off work to begin with. My attending physician completed the forms as required but I was told she was vague.

I am honestly feeling the insurance company is delaying in hopes that because of my need to support my family which includes 6 special needs children including one that is blind and has severe seizures. Our other children have varying degrees of conditions.and I hope the severe delays will not continue as the impact is real. I am completely amazed at a company I promoted to every employee working for me as one who wasn't more interested in profits but more interested in doing what was right by the policyholders.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Bobby. Thanks for the review. We'd like to discuss this further, please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: April 9, 2018

You pay into this for months or even years only to find out when you need it you're denied. Looks like preexisting conditions are their go-to for everything. When asked what would happen if it was a matter of life or death? They pretty much told me it would be death. Looks like it's time for an attorney. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Marty. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 4, 2018

My mom has this insurance and we file a claim. A short term disability because she had a total hysterectomy, but because of other issues she has the doctor give her 3 months of disability, we filed the FMLA and culinary claim. Everything was approved for the 3 months but Mutual of Omaha is asking for every doctor's visit papers because they only approve 1 month of disability, even though my mom was vomiting and bleeding after the surgery. Now she has a perforated ulcer. She was 2 times on ER and we send all the paperwork and CT scans and is not enough to extend her claim. Those are the worse disability insurance on the market. I know the HR department of my mom's work and we know a lot of people there. We are going to explain every employee how this insurance is so the company can get a different insurance for us. Aflac is really good.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Paula. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have had a horrible experience with Mutual of Omaha while dealing with them for a short-term disability claim through my employer. I was having major anxiety and panic attacks working with men which is really difficult when most of my interactions at work are with men.

While I finally dealt with the aftermath of my situation by seeing doctors, therapists, and filing a report with the police, my employer suggested I take leave to focus on self-healing and gave me the paperwork to file for short-term disability. I did have issues with the hospital releasing my records due to several people entering information incorrectly. Once it was sorted out, my records were released and MoO had the information they demanded which included all of my mental health records. I didn't like releasing all of my records and Dr. notes regarding my mental health, but I didn't feel I had a choice if I wanted to have my claim accepted.

I tried several times via email and phone to reach my agent but she would not respond to any of my attempts. The only person she would respond to was our HR facilitator. I am still waiting for my official notice, but my employer has been informed that my claim was denied, but only because of several calls and emails. Even then, the information that was relayed has not been consistent (agent says they will call me, but they never do). My employer is so fed up with the lack of communication, lack of professionalism and lack of care, that they are now looking elsewhere for their disability insurance. At least my employer cares how their employees are treated. It doesn't help me much at the moment. I can honestly say the only insurance company worse than Mutual of Omaha is Cobra, and that isn't saying a lot.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Elizabeth. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I just wanted to write something positive about my LTD experience so that when someone else is going through the process they don't automatically panic that they will be destitute without payment after reading nothing but bad reviews. I began my disability due to an illness in July 2017. I filed and received payments weekly with regular updates from my doctor's appointments until January 2018. There were some delays with my doctors getting information to MOH in a timely fashion but nothing was too extreme. When it came time to switch to Long Term disability it did take some time to change over, more reviews of my medical records and about 80 days to get approved. In my opinion the process should have started sooner so that there was not such a large gap in time between policies but all in all compared to what I have read from others I should be thankful.

I have found my agents to be professional and timely in returning my calls, helpful and empathetic to my case. You do have to play the waiting game but from my perspective most of that falls to the medical community taking their sweet time getting information back to MOH. I even had an issue with my employer getting their information in, but with some prodding from me it was finished. Remember that it is OUR responsibility to make sure that MOH has what they need, and to help them get it. It is tough to do, especially when you are sick or injured but we all need to recognize that some of responsibility of getting our claims paid does fall to us to make sure to follow up with our doctors and others that have our information. Good luck everyone and don't assume that you won't get your claim paid, I have found MOH to be very fair.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I was working for orange lake resorts for the last 9 years and I have always paid for a short term and long term disability policy. Last year I had to use it because I sold everyday having to use my voice. I started having serious problems with my vocal chords and went to see a doctor because I continued to lose my voice for days and sometimes weeks at a time. I had a precancerous tumor on my vocal chords and had to have several surgeries to have it removed. My doctor told me after surgery that I would not be able to continue working in my current profession because I now have a lot of damage due to surgery and the tumor. I then submitted a short term disability claim and everything was aces. They were very nice and professional and very respectful and most of all they paid every week.

After short term was over they turned me over to long term claims and here is where the nightmare has begun. I received a call from a gentleman named Jack ** telling me he would be handling my case. He has been rude to me, he has yelled at me, he has belittled me, he has told me I'm incompetent because I responded to his same email three times because their secure email server will time you out if you don't send it quickly enough. He screwed up paperwork to all of my doctors to get my medical records and even told me he paid these facilities to receive these records and in fact they did not, I even had to pay for one record myself without any reimbursement.

Now here is where it really gets crazy. So my wife has also worked for orange lake for 10 years and is the top producer for the company so every year orange lake pays for the top producers and spouses to go to the hard rock live at universal in Orlando and they have done this for over 10 years. My wife won a huge award and also received a really nice monetary check with it. Just because I am not working for the company does not mean I am not going to support my wife in her achievements. This awards concert was last night. So this morning at 10:30 I received an email from Jack ** telling me he received information that I was at a concert until 1 am and why was I filing a disability claim if I were able to attend a concert where people usually speak... Well I am not a mute and I did not know I had a curfew and needed to report to Mr. ** when I attend any social event.

I cannot maintain my voice for prolonged periods of time. I'm pretty sure this guy seen pictures and videos of the awards concert from social media which is fine. Here is the issue, I have been harassed by this gentleman and me attending my wife's lifetime achievement awards banquet has absolutely nothing to due with my medical issue and having damaged vocal chords that's medically documented. You see I went from making $250,000 a year to getting a small $1200 a week check. My wife made over $400,000 last year and for this guy to belittle me and minimize my medical issues has really got my wife on a rampage now especially after ruining her night when we woke up this morning. What this guy does not know is that my wife is very high up in the company and she is going to file a personal complaint with her HR department Monday morning.

Everyone at orange lake has Mutual of Omaha and they are the founders of Holiday inn. Which is a very large account for Mutual of Omaha. There are a lot of friends and employees watching what's going on with my case to determine whether or not it's worth wasting their money with this company if they do not pay for legitimate claims. The other thing is that we are far from broke and come Tuesday morning I will be contacting an attorney to handle my case from here on out. The way I have been treated by this Jack person is completely unprofessional. It seems I am not the only one having these issues. I had no idea I had to report to this guy each and everything I do something social basis but all of my medical documentation says I am unable to use my voice for long term use. Now I am being stalked and I am very uncomfortable.

They look for every reason to prolong and not to pay your claims this is why they were number 347 in Fortune 500 last year. The less they pay the more they make. This guy Jack ** should not work in a position where he deals with people at all. This whole thing has caused me anxiety and stress and I can assure you after what I have been through with him I am going for more then the claim when I talk to my attorney. This man has actually yelled at me on several occasions. I hope they record their conversations because from here on out I will.

Please please beware before you choose to take a policy out with them. By the time my wife is done with Human Resources Monday they may be losing 25,000 other policies too. My wife has a tremendous amount of say at orange lake holiday inn. They respect her opinion because she is the top producer for the company and if they feel in anyway her life at home is distressed due to what they have put me through, they will make a change to make her happy.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Robert. Thank you for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Although it's been a tough few years I got hurt in 2013 and had a 12 month waiting period Mutual of Omaha has always paid me. Yes at times late but they have always made it good. I have been on claim for over 3 years and thought good and bad they have made it right. Yes I always have all DR updated and make sure I always get all information to them right away.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

After reading other negative reviews here, I can see I am not alone. I had knee surgery 7 months ago. My surgery seemed to go well at first, but here we are 7 months later and my knee and leg are both swollen just as big as it was before the surgery, I am still in a great deal of pain and I am still under treatment because my doctor cannot figure put why my knee and leg are not healing. I have had a second MRI which indicates there might be re-tear in the meniscus. In Oct. I went to another surgeon for a second opinion and he took one look at the swollen knee and leg, and sent me out for an emergency ultrasound because there was concern that it might be a blood clot. Thankfully it was not. About two weeks ago, my doctor did a shot directly into the joint of my knee. This did nothing to reduce the swelling or the pain, and it hurt so bad that it actually caused pain.

I filed a claim with this company United of Omaha Life Insurance company and they covered my lost pay at first. But they stopped paying in Sept, 2017. I lost my job over this injury because I was not well enough to come back to work on time and they said I would not be able to work while I am taking narcotic pain medication. There is no way I could function without it - the pain is just too much and it still hurts while I am on medication so I cannot imagine how it would feel if I did not take any at all. I cannot stand on my leg more than 30-40 minutes. I can't sit at a desk for longer than an hour or my knee and leg begin to swell and the pain gets worse, and yet this company denied my dispute and told me that I should still be able to work with this injury.

I don't think any place will hire me once I explain that I have be able to sit down and elevate my leg frequently and that I cannot stand or walk and if I sit, I need to lay down with my leg elevated, and lets not forget, I must be able to work while taking strong narcotic drugs- and this company denied benefits?? After reading other reviews, I think this company just denies everyone, they don't want to pay claims. I called an attorney today about this and I am going to let them deal with this. I am also sending them copies of this review because I want them to see that I am not the only legitimate claim that this company is refusing to pay. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Desiree. Thanks for the review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have been paying into Mutual of Omaha weekly for 3 years. I have never needed to use them for any benefits until recently. I was diagnosed with a medical condition November 1, 2017. I went to the hospital and then followed up with a specialist on several occasions. I was unable to drive or work for 8 weeks. I, along with my doctor & specialist, emailed and faxed documented information to Mutual of Omaha. I called weekly to be told that they were still waiting for documents from the hospital. I had a "not able to work" note from my personal physician. The hospital said they sent all documents but no one at Mutual of Omaha downloaded it out their queue. My worker insisted that she never received it and that was holding up my review for benefits. I was now off work for 7 weeks with no compensation at all! I had to call the hospital and then call Mutual of Omaha on the 3 way (Conference) with all 3 parties on the line.

The representative at the hospital had to verbally walk the customer service Rep at Mutual of Omaha through the download process on their computer out of their queue. Which is ridiculous to me. After 7 weeks of being off work on medical they tell me it will be 5 business days to review which is now 3 days before Christmas. I called daily to be told it's still in review. I left messages for my worker which I did not receive a return call. I finally asked for a supervisor which called me back in 24 hours. He told me a review was underway, and my condition may not be supported or qualify for benefits. 2 days later that was the determination, and I was told I could appeal. I have a medical condition, and doctor evaluation with a supporting note, and premiums paid on time for 3 years... however their staff doctors did not support my claim. An appeal is currently in the works.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Yolanda. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

My husband paid this company for years for short-term disability through his employer. Well when the time came that he actually needed to use it, the experience was horrible. The initial check was mailed to the wrong address, so it never made it to us, they were pretty unconcerned and took quite a while getting us a replacement check, then for a few weeks they actually got his weekly check to him in a timely fashion, then they just started mailing them when they felt like instead of every Friday like they told us and had been previously. I know this due to the postmark dates and they're very rude and extremely unhelpful.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Hi, Cathy. Thank you for the message. We take your concerns seriously and would like the opportunity to obtain additional information and provide assistance if possible. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I have been contributing to my insurance plan for over 7 years and have never touched it. I was recently in a car accident that put me out of work. Mutual of Omaha is claiming my symptoms are "subjective" even though they are backed by doctor's notes and medication. They claim my doctor noted that I should be back to work, but when I requested that they give me the document stating that they ignored my request. I spoke with my doctor and she said that she never put that anywhere in her notes. They seem to be lying to get out of paying a legitimate claim. I will be filing an appeal which will include letters from all the doctors that have treated me for this accident as well as from my employer who has stated that they cannot give me a light enough workload to bring me back on the job.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I had this carrier through my employer and my only child died suddenly and unexpectedly. She was only 19 years old. I was in complete shock for months and couldn't even get out of bed or focus on anything. I was completely disgusted with their lack of compassion and unethical reasoning and logic. They actually used the excuse that this was a pre-existing condition and that it was not severe enough. I have yet to understand how in the world an unexpected death of a child could be a pre-existing condition. I had a lawyer and everything and they still got away with it. In my opinion, losing your only child is the worst thing in the world that could happen to you. I would've much rather something had happened to me. This company is just disgraceful.

Original review: July 2, 2017

I had a work injury that required surgery in both hands. I applied for temporary disability through my employer. After two months I did receive the first check for a month but was contacted the next morning and told they "changed their minds" and not to cash it. When I asked what their reason was they gave me a medical diagnosis that is nowhere in my medical records and never occurred. Completely false. When I questioned this she would no longer answer any of my questions or tell me who made the decision or who I could contact to dispute it. I am still receiving checks I cannot cash complete with deductions for taxes which will count as income for my yearly totals. I was also told I would receive a letter of their diagnosis for my physician. Never got it. Stay away from this company! I have filed a complaint with my state department of insurance office.

Original review: March 5, 2017

My husbad has cancer and when he had applied for long term disability they told he had to apply for SSI. Now they want him to pay back pay more than what he got in back pay. The policy is supposed to pay up to 2 years though his employer. We have only 26 days to come up with money we don't have. Also they called him when he getting treatment. Told him they would email him and call him back which they never did.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I applied for short term disability through an agent. She was very nice. They needed information from my doctor, my doctor office sent them all the information that they needed. When I received the letter saying that they denied my claim because of information from my doctors, I went to my doctor's office and showed them the letter. The information that my doctor office sent them was SO much different from what my doctor sent them. They diagnosed me with things that I don't have and neither my doctor in her notes. I know that my doctor is not lying because I have been going to her for the past 20 years. She knows me very well. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE A FRAUD.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

I had a disability policy that I paid close to 60 dollars every month for over 10 years. I just received the surrender value of a whopping $1700 today in the mail. I understand the meaning of surrender; I didn't think Mutual of Omaha was in the business of financially ** its customers until now. I am very disappointed in this company and will be calling Monday and looking for an explanation and as well an apology with another check issued.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

This was back in 2010 while I was receiving Chemo therapy treatment for stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I have been receiving Chemotherapy for 2 years and was unable to get out of bed to report to work anymore. My Oncologist was surprised I was still working and My Employer suggested that I take time off temporarily to recover from my cancer treatment.

All the paperwork was submitted by my manager and my Oncologist office. I received one, only one phone call from Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance representative at home to ask how I was feeling. Frankly I don't remember the conversation but I know it was not lengthy since I am still suffering from Chemo Brain. Today after 6 years, I am still unable to work because of my compromised immune system and chemo brain. I am unable to attend a church and no longer socialize. Last time I went out to eat with my family, I end up infectious virus and spend weekend at the hospital.

Yet, Mutual of Omaha Insurance sent a letter saying followings: We have completed our review of your appeal for long term disability benefits under our policy. We are upholding the denial of your claim and no benefits are payable. Able to perform at least one of the material duties of your regular occupation and yet You are unable to generate current earnings which exceeds 80% of your basic monthly earning due to same injury or sickness. Isn't in contradiction?

I was fortunate that that Social Security had a cancer as one of compassionate allowance list. Yes it was very depressing that I am unable to work but it was good decision and save myself a dignity because my brain is not same as use to. I don't have to feel guilt about calling in sick or risking my life and others by driving to work.

I still cannot read a book or watch a movie because I have trouble following the story or remembering what I just have read. I have to write everything down because my short term memory is almost non existent. Every time I run an errand to bank or to the grocery store, I will be sick for next 4 days because my body is fighting whatever was going around.

My former employer was also puzzle and question of having this insurance for their employees because they can clear see this was exact reason they have obtained this policy. All we saw was their greediness to write a policy but not follow up on their obligation. You are asking why now? Well because my foggy brain is less cloudy this days and I am still angry about them getting away with their negligent practice. I have grown up with watching their sponsored nature programs. I always thought they are one of the best companies around. But boy I was wrong. How can they justified denying a disability claim to a cancer patient who have endured two years of chemotherapy while working until body gave out. What is the purpose of your policy if not for situation like mine? I will ask everyone who will read this? Isn't it scam? They are not much different from scam artist.

Original review: March 12, 2016

I had a multi-level spinal fusion May of 2013. The results were great for the first six or seven months. Around the beginning of 2014 the nerve damage pain started coming back. I had to stop working August of 2014. My employer provided Mutual of Omaha Long Term Disability Insurance as part of my benefits package. I didn't immediately file my LTD claim because doctor wanted to try physical therapy for six weeks with the hope that would improve my condition. The six weeks passed without improvement and it became obvious I would need to submit a claim for LTD. My employer assisted me in obtaining the necessary forms as well as making the submission when all was completed.

I knew I was unable to work and only had enough savings to survive for a limited amount of time. I had heard horror stories about people's claims being denied. These stories seemed to all be confirmed when I did research on Mutual of Omaha Long Term Disability and read negative review after negative review. Needless to say my stress level was out the roof. This brings me to the reason I felt compelled to write a review. Mutual of Omaha followed the timelines outlined in my policy to the letter.

In my claim I pointed out that I had used several of my personal days off due to the condition that cause disability. My claim was approved on first attempt. The start date of my disability was adjusted to give me credit for the personal days I used. I receive the direct deposit like clockwork and the yearly cost of living increase came through with no effort required. In 14 months they have requested 2 periodic updates which require my doctors and I to complete a couple pages each. To wrap this up, if you are reading reviews because you have or are in process of filing a claim. THEY DO APPROVE PEOPLE.

Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance response

Thanks for sharing your story Gary.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

I been trying to file my claim. Sonia ** was very nice the first conversation when I open the claim. I have gotten everything she has need when it a 24 hour or less time frame. I have been calling her for the last 2 weeks. She refuse to take my calls. This morning I called the customer service line and the lady on the phone told me "hurry up I have other calls waiting". This company is the worst. Please take your business elsewhere or you will be filing complaints like me. I have income after having a life threatening surgery. Buyer beware.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2016

Purchased short term disability ins. just to be safe, thinking I'd never have to use it. Selected a policy with a higher premium to receive a check in 2 weeks. Of course the day came where I needed it. I filled out the claim forms, faxed them over and waited two weeks. Three weeks came & went. Called up the company and was told they never received the forms. Faxed again. Fourth week called, was told waiting for records from physician. Fifth week called, where is my check? Again waiting for records. Called my agent. No return call.

Sixth week called, still no records. Why am I paying a higher premium when there is no check?? I called agent, no return call. Seventh wk, finally received records. Going to underwriter, really?? Where is my $$$? Called agent again. No return call. Now past two months. This company is HORRIBLE!!! STILL WAITING!! RIDICULOUS. Never have had this service with any other company. Do not waste your time looking into insurance with this company. I am doing you a huge favor. Please listen to me.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2016

My husband went into kidney failure in August 2013 and almost died. He had to be off work for awhile due to dialysis and not feeling well, not to mention the severe PTSD that followed. My husband's mental state was also deteriorating. After his 12 weeks were up of short term disability with Mutual of Omaha, his employer had to let him go because he was unable to return back to work. This put him into a drastic increase to my husband's mental state. So my husband was able to get on long term disability with Mutual of Omaha. His kidneys were slowly but surely getting better (yet they will never be 100%), but his mental state was not.

It is from this time to present that I speak on his behalf of any doctors or any officials because my husband's condition is so severe he is unable to talk on the phone. He can not handle driving, has trouble talking face to face with people, and his moods were shifting all over the place. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, manic-depression, anxiety and severe mood swings. Since his kidney numbers were looking slightly better, they tried to take my husband off of disability saying he could work, although his psychiatrist wrote in his notes that my husband will most likely never be able to work again. He also noted my husband's constant suicidal thoughts and instances of self-harm. With notes from the psychiatrist and a constant battle with them, my husband was again able to receive long term benefits.

Well a few months later he was denied completely of his long term. We called and said no one has informed or tried to contact us about his disability being under review because we would've provided any information they asked for and they replied with, "long term disability is always up for review". Yet they never contacted me about needing any documents, especially the one the psychiatrist needed to fill out. My husband's psychiatrist never filled out the paper, so apparently this is our fault. His psychiatrist was tired of always having to send over paperwork and repeating the same paperwork over and over again. His psychiatrist said that it just seems like they didn't want to pay my husband anymore.

Their response to my question of why we were not contacted about the paperwork that needed to be filled out by the psychiatrist was, "we cannot disclose that information to you". They told us we needed to file an appeal and send in several different documents, WHICH WE HAVE DONE. Now they are saying they can't make a decision until my husband sees one of THEIR doctors. THEY NEVER TOLD US THAT THAT WOULD BE ONE OF THE REQUIREMENTS.

I don't understand why they are making us jump through hoops and are consistently lying to us! We have done everything they have asked. We are beyond upset we have tried telling them that we are about to lose our home and are 4 months behind on our bills and they replied with, "There's nothing we can do for you". I am going to get a lawyer for us being prejudice and especially for the pain and suffering they have caused my husband and his condition to EXTREMELY worsen.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2016

I do not recommend Prudential or Mutual of Omaha Disability Insurance to no one!!! Why? Well for starters, my employer advertised the policy will pay 50% of your salary, but later was informed after I had to utilize the policy that the policy pays $600 dollars weekly maximum no matter what your salary is. The payments are late weekly and Mutual of Omaha does not utilize direct deposit. My advice is to not use this money to pay bills because you will always be late.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

I have General Dystonia. I tried and tried to continue to work, but was sent home a few times because I was shaking so much, and eventually, spent more time in the bathroom crying than working. There's no crying at work! Eventually I was only able to make it on average for 2 hours of work, at when ended up as 1-2 days only. I submitted short term claim, and that went through, but not until 3 months later. They do not pay on a weekly or monthly basis. They pay when and if they feel like it. Took them 5 months to figure out how to deny my LTD. Meanwhile no payments whatsoever for LTD. The Rep was drafting a letter approx 3 weeks ago that I was supposed to receive explaining their decision. No letter yet. I expect they will use the date on the letter, as the date she "started" working on it. Then, by the time I get it (if I ever do) the time limit for appeal will probably have passed. Who knows. We'll see.

Super broke now. In debt big time to my loving friends and family. Leaving my home. More than likely no money will be available to hire a lawyer and fight it. I'm furious! Furthermore, why was it OK for them to accept my short term disability claim and somehow find a loophole to deny the long term. They also said we think you're fine, and should be able to work. That's physically impossible. Emotionally and Financially DEVASTATED! I've worked since I was 14, with the exception of a few years raising my kids. Want to hear something funny? I was unable to contact anyone at Mutual of Omaha for MONTHS. No returned phone calls. No emails... No letters. I was desperate! So I decided to email every department at their company. Guess who responded? The IT Department! Omgosh! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

The IT dept has better customer service and communication than the 3 representatives I went through later, who accomplished nothing. I was told that it's out of their hands and is decided by medical. I believe that's true. So I realize the reps are at a loss if the other dept.'s aren't doing their job. The general response when I would call to check status was "It's been sent for review with the medical dept". Once that 30 days was over, they again said, "It's been sent through to a medical specialist, for review, again". They had me running all over hell's acre's to resubmit papers that were already submitted 2 and 3 times. Going to pharmacies that I never use, to get print outs to prove I had no medications filled there. Commonplace is for the rep to denied receiving records.

They denied receiving some of my voice mails and emails. They denied receiving a lot of my doctor's submitted paperwork, even though my doctor's office had confirmation transmission reports on everyone. So, I copied everything. I worked so closely with the medical records dept. at my doctor's office, that we are now on a first name basis. We're phone friends now. She, bless her heart, finally printed all of my records back to 2012 and left me a package at the desk. I copied them, scanned and emailed them and sent them certified mail. Never received notification that they had received them via USPS. I could go on forever. Last but not least; they made me feel like a liar, looser and unimportant. I also had representatives that were rude, and behaved as if I was interrupting their day. Good Grief. Shameful! That's all for now...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

I am sick with Diabetes, Fibromyalgia and Sarcoidosis, all diagnosed active illnesses. I became so ill with fatigue and pain I asked two of my doctors to fill out a LTD request form so that I could stop working due to my illnesses. Both doctors filled out the forms and I submitted the requested information, this was in early July, 2015. Then late July more request for medical records came from Mutual of Omaha and again in August 2015 I believe.

Then in September 2015, a notification that a medical expert would be sought to review my claim, even though they had both doctors forms and all of my medical records. Then without getting any clarification as to the September 2015 notification, I received notification in October 2015 this month that they were awaiting an explanation and further clarification from one of my doctors that had already submitted records and a LTD form back in July 2015. So now we have gone from early July 2015 to nine days in October 2015 only to be denied by special email, but to be fair, the case worker did call to give me an explanation.

Now I feel that this was stretched out much further than it should have been and I feel as though I have been given the run around and the old brush off. I am sure of the three illness. I have surely someone would not doubt how sick I become, sometimes daily, and really depended on my insurance to help me through this difficult time. Now I have no job, no income and no medical insurance. I lost my car, and am receiving SNAP benefits and will lose my apartment for non payment of rent at the end of this month October 2015.

Original review: May 28, 2015

I had just lost my husband. I had a bad car accident. I just was not able to work. I have cervical dystonia. My neck was always in pain and many other health issues. I said to the lady, "I have paid for this many years." She said smartly, "Everyone says that." I was very discouraged with this company. I had doctors' statements. I was denied twice for short term disability.

Original review: April 8, 2015

I was diagnosed with a degenerative disease several years ago, Ankylosing Spondyloarthropathy. I've been dealing with it, managing my own pain and so forth. It has progressed rapidly in the last 2 years. I was on short term disability thru my employer (reduced hours, to no more than 6 per day) with pain management help with Doctors. I ran out of short term disability and filed a claim for long-term with MO. The only reason I am giving a single start is because the insurance person, while being short with me once, was generally a nice person to speak to. We, doctors (Human Resources and myself), jumped thru giant hoops trying to get this to go.

The insurance person kept asking again and again, we need an MRI. I've had bilateral hip replacements. I can't have an MRI. The insurance person, later, after cc'ing my company HR person and myself, recanted and said that I didn't need to get an MRI just for her. The insurance person submitted all my paperwork to the "nurse" reviewer. Question 1: why a nurse review? It's been 14 business days, and I had to call MO. When I stated my name the insurance person said hello in a voice reminiscent of getting a call from an ex. I said "uh oh". The insurance person stated that the "nurse" had declined the LTD and stated that it was not necessary.

I was asked if my employer had provided for my limitations, I said yes and gave specifics. I was asked about other equipment that I declined with my employer, 1) because for the length of time that I could utilize it, per day, would not warrant the cost spent on this piece of equipment 2) the noise disruption with my group would be great (it's noisy).

I was told, that this equipment information would be passed on to the "nurse" and they would be in touch. I asked why is a nurse reviewing this and not a doctor. I was told, "That's just the way we do things here." Ooooh kay!!! I am not degrading a nurses' expertise as some are more on-the-ball than some Doctors, but the review of something as important as this is should be done by a qualified Doctor in the field of the disability. So there we stand. I was convinced by my HR person to pursue this and it's come back to bite me in the backside. I guess no matter what I'll have to get an atty., if it's for the LTD or workers compensation... as this will probably go to that. I don't know. I will update as I find out more.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mutual of Omaha is a mutually funded insurance company headquartered in Nebraska. It offers insurance in almost every state via its 4,900 associates.

• Location-specific plans: Users can provide their address to receive policies customized to their region, browse plans online or get general information if they don't want to provide a location.

• Offers needs assessment calculator: Consumers can determine how much coverage they need by using this online tool.

• Guaranteed renewable: Insureds can renew their policy annually until they reach the age of 67, regardless of their health status.

• Offers business overhead expense insurance: Individuals who own their own business may want to purchase a plan that covers overhead expenses if they become too disabled to run their business.

• Offers accident-only plan: Users who are in good health and don't want to pay a lot can purchase a policy that covers short-term disability only in the event of an accident.

• Best for: People who have been injured and people who are recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky