2.58/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Geico Boat Insurance

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Geico Boat Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Beware of Geico Marine Insurance. I had a policy for quite some time and had no claims, and then a freak storm came through and my pontoon received substantial hail damage. Prior to the hail damage my boat was basically new.. They sent an adjuster out that drove almost 4 hours to get here. He then writes an estimate that I knew was extremely low. I then took my boat to the dealership and they told me that the estimate that Geico wrote wouldn’t even begin to cover the damages. So they wrote an accurate, and correct estimate. I then called Geico and informed them of this. They told me to Email the new estimate to them, and I did..

They took a lot of time to get back to me, but finally did, and they called and said that they were issuing a check for approximately $8,000 when the estimate was for $21,449.36. When I asked why, they stated that they were not going to cover some of the damages because upon review, they decided that some of the damages were from “normal wear and tear”. This is absolutely not true AT ALL! The damage was clearly from the storm and they just simply don’t want to pay out the money. I handed this over to our attorney and they are now handling this matter. Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY FROM GEICO MARINE!!!! Tell everyone you know!!!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

All I need is liability insurance so I can haul my boat. Most boatyards require it. After wasting money on a survey I was told my boat was too new, too big and too expensive for liability only. I would have to buy complete coverage to the tune of $12-14,000/yr. I am retired on SS and a modest IRA. I built the boat (43’ Catamaran) over 7 years and I am personally willing to accept responsibility for personal losses. Insurance company greed. They are trying to force me to buy something I do not want or need. Shame on Geico through BoatUS.

Get expert buying tips about Boat Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I filed a claim for a Jet ski that was totaled and was told that Geico Marine would pay the claim for the damaged craft and give 20% towards the purchase of a new Jet Ski of equal or lesser value. The agent who handled my claim (Keela) specifically told me that I would have up to three years to use the 20% which ends today 8/19/2019. Over the past few days, I tried to find out about utilizing the 20% towards the purchase of a new Jet Ski and was told I only had up to one year. She now claimed we never had any conversation about the time-frame and lied to to avoid paying up what had been agreed to.

She pointed to my original contract which stated the the time-frame for using the 20% was up to one year but I had an email which stated I would have up to 48 months after the date of accident which indicates we did discussed the time-frame in order to be told I would have 48 months. Geico Marine paid out less for the Jet Ski claiming depreciation and now they have stiffed me by not wanting to honor their initial agreement. If you can avoid it, please do not use Geico Marine for your insurance. They are nice until you have a claim, then they will find a way not to honor their agreements. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

Hit a submerged object and DESTROYED the entire out drive. The pinion gear exploded and rained pieces of metal throughout the drive upper and lower. Boat US (Geico) insurance Co is ignoring me and or keeps asking for documents and pics I gave them 2 weeks ago. I need some advice. If I can not get approved within a week I'll miss the whole season of using my CY (The only shop in my area that can get to it now mechanic is going to Canada in 2 weeks for months).

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

If you have a lien holder Geico will put their name on the check. The problem with that is the lien holder will not endorse. They send it to the repair shop where the estimate was done. Case in point, I could have bought a whole brand new lower unit for less than they could repair it for. Basically all the money is invested in labor not parts. You can't get resale on labor. The finance company was Aqua Finance. We are refinancing with someone else and finding a different insurance company. There are idiots to say the least.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geico Boat Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

After eighteen years of insurance with BoatUS/Geico I had my first claim while backing my boat off trailer with one year old impeller. I ran into mud/goo and had to power through it to get out. The engine alarm went off and I killed engine after about one minute. The engine sustained overheating damage. Geico denied the claim stating insufficient evidence of root cause of overheating. Will definitely find another company to insure my boat. Beware of companies who look for reasons not to cover claims.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Was with BoatUS for many years, never a claim. For the 2018-2019 policy year Aug 2018 thru Aug 2019 policy price was raised 29.5%. A phone call yielded the standard scripted response they were trained to offer. My conclusion Geico no longer wanted my business. In addition, a careful reading of the new BoatUS/Geico policy shows that a new depreciation clause is in the policy. For boats that are going to enter their 20th year and beyond during the policy year Geico is imposing a 10% per year depreciation clause with a floor of 20%.

This means that if you have a partial loss claim, the depreciation clause will apply unless you are making a claim against another company (say someone runs into you). In my case with an older but still very valuable boat I would be out of pocket for the first $22,000! You should carefully check and read the entire policy if you have an older boat! Buyer beware. I moved my business to Pantaenius which has no depreciation clause with a much lower premium. It's a market out there for insurance and it pays to be aware of what's in your policy terms and conditions.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Had a total loss on my boat while on land and no fault of mine whatsoever. Vessel was improperly blocked up by the marina and weight of it overtook the hull sending the supporting blocks through the bottom of the boat into the cabin. Geico was quick to send a surveyor out within 2 days. Once the report was sent to them there was no contact with me unless I called them. I did everything required. Double-checked. It was accurate and still was never once contacted by them. I called several times a week to find out the status of the claim.

Eventually all paperwork was signed notarized and original documents including the title were overnighted to them on Monday for delivery Tuesday as requested. Some idiot at Geico refused to sign for the overnight package. Because of this my claim was delayed a week. I was in the process of purchasing a new boat out of state using the funds from the claim. The package was tracked down by me to Alexandria Virginia. Several notes were left by the USPS stating there was a package for them at the post office but no one picked it up until I called Geico and told them it was there. It still took them until Friday to pick it up.

Now almost 12 days after I overnighted it they still tell me the Salvage department is reviewing the documents which they have now had for one week. I was initially told it would take 2 days after receiving the documents. Upon calling today I was told that the Salvage department is backed up and it may take longer now. I have a new boat 3 states away that I am in the process of purchasing, financing and having delivered but nowhere in sight is my down payment from the claim check that I was promised would be in my possession at the end of the week I overnighted it.

I have about a week left before I have to lay my own money out for the downpayment. Every time I called they acknowledged the errors and lack of communication and did nothing but apologize. Apologizing does nothing but anger me. But they did offer to overnight the check to me. Wow they must really care. On top of that just for ha-ha's I requested a quote for the new boat. I have over 35 years of boating experience and hold a captain's license for about 16 years. I have never had an accident nor put a claim in. My policy more than tripled and the reason they stated was that I was grandfathered in under the old rates.

Biggest croc of ** I ever heard. Called several insurance companies and the rates were pretty much in line with my old policy. I gave it two stars because the rates were good when I initially insured the boat. I would give it 5 stars for the rate but zero stars for customer service and competence. Overall the claim went fast because of my constantly calling them. However if I did not intercede absolutely nothing would have gotten done. If you are willing to go through what I did and keep on top of them in the event of a claim then go for it.

Original review: April 4, 2018

If you want a insurance company that works harder to not cover anything vs support you as a client/customer, then by all means get their coverage. I had to pay $2K for a out of water survey to get their insurance, when I did, they then dropped me months later after a very egotistical 3rd party insurance adjuster came out who was looking for more issues vs supporting and or reporting on my claim. Extremely unprofessional and a huge loss of money and time! Epitome of corporate insurance with a volume business strategy, NOT customer service.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Over 40 years in boating with over 20 years as a professional licensed Captain, no claims. Received my GEICO Marine Insurance policy on my personal recreation use only Hatteras Motor Yacht to find good news, deductible still $0 dollars due to history of no claims but bad news, without explanation, my premium more than doubled!!! When I called Boat US to see if there was a mistake, I asked to speak who was in charge of the BoatUS/GEICO alliance, I was told by the heinous on the phone, "Warren Buffet". Really? Either no one is home at BoatUS or GEICO. Be very careful in dealing with both. Service was reprehensible, not just weak.

Geico Boat Insurance expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) was founded in 1936 to provide auto insurance to government employees. Now, GEICO has expanded their clientele, and they offer insurance on more than auto insurance to include boats and watercraft.

• Bundle options: Because GEICO sells insurance for more than boats, they often offer bundles to help consumers save money by keeping their insurance all under one carrier.

• Instant quote: By filling out a bit of information, consumers can receive a free, instant quote for boat insurance from GEICO.

• Boat safety course resources: Taking a boater’s safety course can help consumers save money on insurance costs. GEICO offers resources to study for the test as well as links to other resources and to the test itself.

• Premium Boat Towing service: GEICO offers an option for their Premium Boat Towing service in case of boat breakdowns on the water.

• Insurance term glossary: GEICO offers a comprehensive glossary of insurance terms. This resource is helpful for new insurance adopters.

• Best for: GEICO is best for consumers who want boat insurance from a company that offers multiple types of insurance policies.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs