2. Automotive
  3. Boat Insurance

3.6/5 (48 ratings)

About Geico Boat Insurance

Geico Boat Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geico Boat Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geico Boat Insurance?

Original review: July 16, 2021

Worst claim experience in my life! Geico marine would not allow a mechanic to investigate the damage completely. Using an incomplete quote they are offering me a settlement that does not address damage caused by a fire due to their clients negligent operation of a boat. 5 weeks after the accident and I am still going back and forth with them and will need to retain an attorney. Avoid at all cost, go with Progressive or any other insurance company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

The rear of my boat sank due to a defective lift in late 2017. I found out that GEICO sent an UNLICENSED ADJUSTER from Key West and my claim is denied. I will make a complaint to the State of Florida.

Get buying tips about Boat Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

After dutifully paying premiums timely for 12 years, I finally suffered damages due to surge from Hurricane Sally lifting my always covered and sheltered boat into the top of the boathouse breaking the left windshield and frame. After trailering the boat to the purchase dealer and getting them to send a repair estimate to the assigned adjustor, I received a letter from GEICO indicating a 40% depreciation and named storm deductible that netted me zero. I feel foolish for sending these scoundrels my money for all these years.

Original review: July 18, 2020

My boat was damaged over 50 days ago and they are stalling to pay. They don’t answer phones, emails in a timely manner. I have caught them in numerous lies throughout the process. They have switched agents on me four times. One agent recently told me it could take over a year to resolve in some cases. I have used Geico for car insurance since I learned to drive and always a great experience. Boat, another story. One thing about me is I won’t give up.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I was out trolling when my engine started spewing oil and water through the carburetor. I got towed in and called Geico Marine, they said take to a shop and get an estimate, so I did. They have no adjusters for boats in Idaho so they hired an outside adjuster. The boat shop tore my motor down to find cracks. In the intake manifold and geico said it was wear and tear. When you take your boat to a shop for maintenance you should have intake manifold removed and inspected (Who does that?) so it was not covered even though the mechanic had never seen that happen before.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I had just purchased a 1994 Blue Water Eagle 180 and was towing it home when my Ford F350 Turbo Diesel just quit on northbound interstate 15 near Norco. I had AAA classic, which covered my truck for 7 miles but did not cover the boat. For the 18 mile trek to my house, I paid $110 for the 11 miles not covered, and paid $500 to tow the boat home. I called Geico Marine the next day and asked them if any of my existing boat policies (I had 3 at the time) which all cover over the water and over the road towing would cover towing this boat that was not yet insured. As it turned out, it was covered, and I just received the check for $500. I'm very grateful to Geico for making this process so easy and painless.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Stop the idiotic commercials and hire some competent personnel. If you're a lizard you will drown with Geico Marine, from policy inception to claims the worst customer service of any insurance company ever! I have been with Geico for over 4 years. Now that I have a claim these clowns have drag this on for 15 weeks and counting. I call each week, they tell me they need a new document. I submit it and then next week it's another document. They asked for the bill of sale. I told them I didn't have one but I gave them a copy of the title. Still not good enough. I would not insure a thing with Geico.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Beware of Geico Marine Insurance. I had a policy for quite some time and had no claims, and then a freak storm came through and my pontoon received substantial hail damage. Prior to the hail damage my boat was basically new.. They sent an adjuster out that drove almost 4 hours to get here. He then writes an estimate that I knew was extremely low. I then took my boat to the dealership and they told me that the estimate that Geico wrote wouldn’t even begin to cover the damages. So they wrote an accurate, and correct estimate. I then called Geico and informed them of this. They told me to Email the new estimate to them, and I did..

They took a lot of time to get back to me, but finally did, and they called and said that they were issuing a check for approximately $8,000 when the estimate was for $21,449.36. When I asked why, they stated that they were not going to cover some of the damages because upon review, they decided that some of the damages were from “normal wear and tear”. This is absolutely not true AT ALL! The damage was clearly from the storm and they just simply don’t want to pay out the money. I handed this over to our attorney and they are now handling this matter. Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY FROM GEICO MARINE!!!! Tell everyone you know!!!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

All I need is liability insurance so I can haul my boat. Most boatyards require it. After wasting money on a survey I was told my boat was too new, too big and too expensive for liability only. I would have to buy complete coverage to the tune of $12-14,000/yr. I am retired on SS and a modest IRA. I built the boat (43’ Catamaran) over 7 years and I am personally willing to accept responsibility for personal losses. Insurance company greed. They are trying to force me to buy something I do not want or need. Shame on Geico through BoatUS.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I filed a claim for a Jet ski that was totaled and was told that Geico Marine would pay the claim for the damaged craft and give 20% towards the purchase of a new Jet Ski of equal or lesser value. The agent who handled my claim (Keela) specifically told me that I would have up to three years to use the 20% which ends today 8/19/2019. Over the past few days, I tried to find out about utilizing the 20% towards the purchase of a new Jet Ski and was told I only had up to one year. She now claimed we never had any conversation about the time-frame and lied to to avoid paying up what had been agreed to.

She pointed to my original contract which stated the the time-frame for using the 20% was up to one year but I had an email which stated I would have up to 48 months after the date of accident which indicates we did discussed the time-frame in order to be told I would have 48 months. Geico Marine paid out less for the Jet Ski claiming depreciation and now they have stiffed me by not wanting to honor their initial agreement. If you can avoid it, please do not use Geico Marine for your insurance. They are nice until you have a claim, then they will find a way not to honor their agreements. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Geico Boat Insurance author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) was founded in 1936 to provide auto insurance to government employees. Now, GEICO has expanded their clientele, and they offer insurance on more than auto insurance to include boats and watercraft.

• Bundle options: Because GEICO sells insurance for more than boats, they often offer bundles to help consumers save money by keeping their insurance all under one carrier.

• Instant quote: By filling out a bit of information, consumers can receive a free, instant quote for boat insurance from GEICO.

• Boat safety course resources: Taking a boater’s safety course can help consumers save money on insurance costs. GEICO offers resources to study for the test as well as links to other resources and to the test itself.

• Premium Boat Towing service: GEICO offers an option for their Premium Boat Towing service in case of boat breakdowns on the water.

• Insurance term glossary: GEICO offers a comprehensive glossary of insurance terms. This resource is helpful for new insurance adopters.

Geico Boat Insurance Company Information