2.23/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Progressive Boat Insurance

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Progressive Boat Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My family was victim to a theft and fire of a boat we had just purchased. Our very first brand new boat. Fully insured all the bells and whistles did everything right to make sure our hard earned money was protected. From the moment this terrible experience started they made us feel like we were guilty and told us we were under investigation. I did some homework and found out due to the situation this sounded typical. Did not like it but with the way our world is I kinda understood to some degree and gave them everything they asked for.

When the investigation was over and they cleared us of any involvement I have asked from the beginning give me updates every day and after a week of complaints the adjuster started to text us daily, which helped ease the anxiety of all of this terrible ordeal to some degree. Again this has been a mental nightmare just losing the boat that we used every weekend or every other weekend as a family but to be pointed at and then when the investigation is over not even be contacted and left in the dark wondering what is going on no body should be treated this way when they pay to be protected. Now I have to seek legal counsel and never thought being a victim that was fully covered would be such a nightmare. SAD VERY SAD.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Discovered a crack in my hull, the adjuster came out and agreed I hit an object. Next day got a call, hold on it could have been a factory defect caused by a loose stringer. I was told if the stringer was attached they would pay for the $ 3000.00 repair bill. After cutting an access to the hull and the crack was exposed it turned out the stringer was totally intact. Got a call the next day that even though the stringer was not loose it did not look like an impact and the claim was denied. The crack must have just appeared out of nowhere. Flo is a crook. This company is not worth dealing with. My only satisfaction is that beside my boat insurance, I have several company vehicles insured with Progressive totaling way over $ 4000.00 annually. Next month they are coming up for renewal and it won't be Progressive. Stay away from these crooks.

Get expert buying tips about Boat Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have used Progressive insurance since 1988. In 2018 I backed into a concrete edge on a concrete floor and caught the skeg of the motor on the leading edge of it. As I was backing it was down hill and turning into my shop. With the weight of the truck and the momentum of backing the transom split on the boat. What a stupid thing to do I know. But nevertheless I did it. I called Progressive and they came out. The adjuster said if the transom was composite. He didn't see any issues, but they were not paying for a broken wood transom. I pointed to the fully composite label on the boat, he said a repair shop would have to look into it to determine the make up.

After several weeks in the shop he called me and said, "The transom is composite but we would like to do a survey on it anyway." After Michael Hunter with Hunter Consulting and Survey Services did a study they decided that at some point and time years prior the motor may have been loose and caused undue wear which in turn caused the transom to crack. I argued that it was not like that before I backed into the concrete. They are crooked, I ended up having to repair the boat out of my pocket.

Don't worry, Progressive spared no expense to get out of paying on a claim that should have been covered. I will never use them again on anything or promote their product. My experience is, they milk you for years, then when you need them, they cover every angle so that if you were to sue it would be too expensive to take the chance, and they just keep the premiums you have paid to them for 30 years.

Original review: May 25, 2019

We have full coverage boat insurance through Progressive. We are stranded on the lake and called them. They said we could get a tow for $300 even though we pay $155 a month for full coverage. We never got a statement saying what they cover or what they offer. However by calling them it’s gonna cost $300 for a 1 mile tow. I do not recommend this insurance company for boat insurance. Come Monday morning we will be changing our coverage to someone else. Please do not consider Progressive as your boat insurance.

Original review: March 10, 2019

The Claims inspector from Progressive who came out to survey the damage to my boat, and started off by admitting that he knew very little about inboard shaft drive boats. He said his experience was primarily with outboards. I asked Progressive to send an inspector who had experience with my type of boat (2007 42’ Cruisers), and they refused saying their individual was very qualified.

In my situation, I hit submerged floating debris that was in the channel at around 1-2 knots as I was motoring to the marina for a haul out and bottom cleaning. The torque from the collision knocked both engines forward 1-2 inches on their engine mounts, causing a severe vibration throughout the boat when in gear. The Progressive claims inspector told me after his visual inspection that there wasn’t enough significant damage to the props to justify the shifting of the engines on their motor mounts. He came to this conclusion without doing any work (e.g., pulling and inspecting the shafts, props, cutlass bearings, shaft seals, etc.).

After several months of waiting because the Inspector said my claim was being reviewed by his management, Progressive sent me a letter denying my claim. Their letter said “If you believe anything contained in this letter is incorrect or inaccurate, please contact us immediately with the information necessary to continue our investigation to find coverage for this loss.”

I’ve never been summarily dismissed and treated this poorly in my entire life. Especially by a company who I have been paying good money to each and every month to protect one of my most important assets. To make sure that those reading this review don’t think I’m some nut job with something against Progressive, I have had all of my boats insured with Progressive for almost ten years and have never filed a claim.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Boat Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Seriously considering starting a class action lawsuit against this company. They have repeated fraudulent claim denials. Case in point: I had insured my boat fully a month prior to it sinking. I was out of town at the time it sunk and did not even get a phone call from the marina where it was docked. I got two emails stating that it was sinking and then when it was on the bottom of the bay. At that time I immediately filed a claim with Progressive Insurance.

35 days later and an extreme invasion of my privacy (to the point of asking for permission to pull cell tower records from before coverage started) they have yet to officially overturn the original "denial" which was because of "seaworthiness". Not only was there nothing wrong with my boat to make it their definition of "un-seaworthy", but when I proved them wrong, they then tried to prove that the boat was my primary residence. I absolutely showed proof, WITH RECEIPTS for rent paid that it was not my primary residence and they continually harassed friends and family in an effort to disprove what was in clear black and white writing on not only my living situation but also the seaworthiness of my boat BY THEIR OWN REPRESENTATIVES.

Not sure if this review will even be approved, however, if it does, by some miracle go through and you have been screwed over by this company as I have, please reach out to me as I am compiling a list of people who will attest to their complete and utter fraudulent boat coverage that they charge for but never intend to honor. Email ** to put your name on the list for this, pending this review even goes through. I hope us small guys can take down this complete ripoff so that no other unsuspecting people get hurt by them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Here is a good one for you. 20% hike in boat insurance after 13 years of coverage with no claims. When I call to ask why... it is our credit score. Dropped from 850 to something closer to 800. What happened to cause a change in our credit score? We took out a loan for Hurricane Impact Windows and let the supplier float the money at zero % while in production instead of writing a check - then we paid the loan in full immediately after they were installed and the first installation payment was due. Zero interest on our part, but five-month float on the part of the supplier.

We refinanced our house when the rates were @ 2.875% because, well who wouldn't take advantage of those rates! Also dropped the loan from 30 to 15 years! Both items were strategic and saved us a ton of money. For this our credit score dropped a little, and Progressive considers us riskier thereby jacking up our rate to the tune of 20%. When I try to explain the rationale behind these credit movements, they simply don't care. The credit score doesn't change, so they don't change. And, the "analyst" (Ann **) won't even give her full name. Progressive - you are not very Progressive. Any other insurance carriers out there need a customer? Progressive certainly doesn't seem to be in the market for customer retention.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I paid a lot extra for an extra coverage for my boat called Propulsion Plus which I was told by the Progressive rep would cover me in the case of a mechanical breakdown. When I was out at sea the outdrive broke down and now needs to be replaced. After placing the claim the claims supervisor told me that according to the language in the policy “the maintenance requirements were not meet”. I then told the Progressive supervisor that Progressive did not provide me with any requirements to meet so that the claim could be honored. The supervisor then told me that Progressive does not need to provide me with their requirements. The claim was denied.

I told him, "I can’t meet your requirements since you don’t tell your customers what they are." I will file with the insurance commission and small claims court but I should not have to be put through that to get the coverage they sold me and I paid for. This seems like a scam in my opinion (but just my opinion) to take people's money then not cover the insured when a covered event takes place. If you do get Propulsion Plus coverage, please keep the above in mind. I am writing this to help others before they get in this situation.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

While there are many choices for insurance these days it seems like there are few who actually care about their customers and want to help. It should be just about the money. I believe you don't find out how good a Company or business is until you have a problem. I recently had a boat policy with Progressive. Had Fraud on my account which caused the Automatic payment to stop due to account being closed. Progressive charged me for 2 following months. AAutomatically changed policy to a 6 month policy which made the minimum payment 1200.00 to keep current coverage. No letters and could really care less about the issue. Didn't try and resolve anything. Would not recommend to any customer, friend, family member and I will pay more with another company before I ever use Progressive ever again. They do not care about their customers!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have a marine service and repair shop, we've been in business over 40 years and have a sterling reputation in our community and the surrounding area. We do a fair amount of repair work for insurance claims and I can say that Progressive, without a doubt, is hands down the absolute worst insurance company to deal with. Most of the jobs we do are pretty straightforward, and we don't have consistent problems with any insurance company...except one. Every time a customer tells me that they are insured with Progressive, I prepare for a fight and they never let me down. Every single time I send a bid to Progressive, the adjuster sends it back with an estimate of his own that is generally about around 25% of my original bid.

Now, I know for a fact that our labor rate is lower than any of our main competitors, and I know this because customers who are paying out of pocket for their repairs almost always end up back with us after shopping around, and it is extremely rare for any insurance company other than Progressive to give any push back on our estimates, and many of them recommend us to their customers. I understand requests to justify some of the line items on a bid, or attempts at good faith negotiation to try and shave off a little bit here and there, but what Progressive does is dishonest and disgusting. Every single time we've dealt with them, they make what should be a fairly simple process as miserable as possible, both for us, and for their customer. The people from Progressive that we usually have the pleasure of dealing with are nearly always smug, condescending jerks who talk down to everyone involved.

They generally try to bully and manipulate their customer into taking their boat to some hack operation that they know will do a shoddy repair for cheap, and sometimes they flat out refuse to pay for what is obviously a legitimate claim. I have had multiple customers who have had to get their attorney involved in order to get anything done. As someone who deals with just about every insurance company you've ever heard of, I can honestly say that every boat owner should stay far away from Progressive. Boat insurance is generally pretty cheap to begin with, and I can guarantee that the few additional dollars you may save with Progressive are absolutely not worth it if you ever have to make a claim.

Progressive Boat Insurance expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Progressive Insurance has been insuring cars since 1937, and they now extend their insurance offerings to boats and watercraft. Their policies are customizable, and they prioritize getting their customers the best possible savings without sacrificing coverage.

• No marine survey or navigation plan required: Some companies require a detailed survey of a consumer’s boat, usually at the consumer’s expense, before making a final insurance offer. Progressive will insure a boat without the need of an inspection.

• Discounts: From multi-policy to safe boater discounts, Progressive offers numerous ways for consumers to save money on their policies.

• Standard coverages: Progressive’s standard policies include medical payments, uninsured/underinsured boater, comprehensive/collision and bodily injury/property damage.

• Add-on coverage: Consumers can add policies like total loss replacement, full coverage for carry-on items (like fishing equipment or scuba gear) and mechanical breakdown coverage to better customize their policies.

• Insurance limitations: Progressive lists its insurance limitations on the company website. Boats over 50 feet long or PWCs worth over $27,000 are uninsurable through Progressive, so consumers should make sure their boat fits their qualifications.

• Best for: Progressive is best for consumers who want to save on boat insurance and customize their policies.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs