3.6/5 (120 ratings)

About Progressive Boat Insurance

Progressive Boat Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Boat Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Boat Insurance?

Original review: May 4, 2022

Beware of Progressive boat insurance! Very deceitful. They will tell you your boat is covered from top to bottom and once you hand over your money and need the coverage that they say they offer they will start throwing exclusions at you. You also better make sure you have picture of you and boat on the boat or they will accuse you of fraud. If you still choose to go through progressive for your boat I would definitely go through their exclusions with a fine tooth comb prior to purchasing the insurance. Especially, the weather related issues because they have zones that they don't tell you about and if you are in that said zone they will deny your claim. I am sure this is how they have not paid out for many. Also, Propulsion Plus is a joke. Don't waste your money or time with this company. If I would have known better I would have went through a more reputable boat insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

This is the worst experience EVER! I am so thankful I am not in need of immediate help. My car and jet ski got stuck in the mud. I called roadside assistance for help and now we are 3 hours in and nothing has been taken care of. Progressive is decent. I have 2 cars and a jet ski and trailer covered. I pay in full yearly. But yet when I go to use my roadside assistance I get the run around. The company they contract it out to are very ignorant and cannot figure out things. A Progressive representative has been on the phone with me and them for an hour and it still isn't going anywhere. This is such a hassle. It would be easier to not provide roadside assistance for customers.

Get buying tips about Boat Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Added propulsion plus coverage to my Progressive policy 6 months ago and they just paid the full amount to have the cone clutch and transom shift cable replaced in my 2017 Bravo 3 stern drive. This was a $1500 expense and Progressive paid the entire amount less my $250 deductible. Very pleased with the entire claims process and settlement.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I had Progressive full coverage on my boat when I hit a rock this summer with stern drive. I thought they would fix with oem parts — nope! Ended up being a fight the whole time. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Their policy has so much fine print exclusions that your boat is not actually insured. I do not recommend. I had a horrible experience and would hate to see anyone else go through it. After years of payments when I needed coverage "Oh sorry that's an exclusion". Nothing was covered.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

Our boat caught fire and I was waiting for the police and fire reports to say anything but here goes.... Someone threw a party 4 slips down and multiple people witnessed people from the party going to the boat. We do not have concrete evidence yet of how it started but my BBQ was moved so one would speculate.... I did not have personal coverage so I lost around $20,000 in scuba, spear and fishing gear on top of it all @progressive is fighting to pay the salvage bill after they were told it was going to sink....

Now they are trying not cover the full valve of the boat (loan amount) so hopefully this help someone when choosing insurance companies because Progressive is definitely not the route you want to go. A Personal friend is a detective that goes after insurance companies that screw people over. I figured a large company like this would never do this to an a consumer but apparently I was wrong so this will be our final step.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Progressive issued the insurance and then cancelled it 2 months later because they didn’t understand custom built vessel HIN numbers. The vessel is a 39’ federally documented trawler which they also didn’t know how to look up in the US Coast Guard databases. Progressive refused to Try to understand the HIN numbers were legitimate and to top it off Progressive had insured the vessel for the previous owner. Stay away from these folks.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I added sign and glide to my policy 6 years ago. If something happens on the lake they will send help. Today I ran out of gas in the middle of the lake. When I called all they could do was tell me to call the police department. I can do that on my own. I don't need to pay them extra for that.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Owned a boat since 1992, never ever had a claim until this year. Bought a newer boat this year, had everything done we were supposed to prior to purchase, etc., out in lake and hit something which caused us to break a shaft and lose prop. Never once did adjuster come out to look at it, made his decision based on a cell phone picture. Unfortunately now we have to fight this and take to court. Isn’t this why we have insurance in the first place? Would never refer someone to Progressive. Awful experience.

Original review: July 15, 2020

My boat tower was hit by another boat. The insurance adjuster looked at pictures and sent me a check for $1064.19. Told me the repair shop to take it to and said not to worry if it costs more, he will work it out with them as they work with these guys all the time. He also said he would pay to have my tower taken off and put back on. The $1064 was supposedly to cover all of it. I took the tower off myself because no one could do it for 3-4 weeks. I took it to the approved repair shop.

Meanwhile Progressive sent out a person to take more pictures and then they called me a week later, yesterday, saying the claim was denied. WHY? They said, "We believe it wasn't struck and that the fiberglass looks a little darker than it should." Repair shop said it would cost more than $1064 to do just the fiberglass repair. Not the gel coat, not the tower. I've been screwed by the Progressive. Bunch of thieves with a license to steal! Progressive does what they can to deny your claim or write a check for half the amount and walk away. If you like that treatment you'll love these Progressive!

Progressive Boat Insurance author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Progressive Insurance has been insuring cars since 1937, and they now extend their insurance offerings to boats and watercraft. Their policies are customizable, and they prioritize getting their customers the best possible savings without sacrificing coverage.

• No marine survey or navigation plan required: Some companies require a detailed survey of a consumer’s boat, usually at the consumer’s expense, before making a final insurance offer. Progressive will insure a boat without the need of an inspection.

• Discounts: From multi-policy to safe boater discounts, Progressive offers numerous ways for consumers to save money on their policies.

• Standard coverages: Progressive’s standard policies include medical payments, uninsured/underinsured boater, comprehensive/collision and bodily injury/property damage.

• Add-on coverage: Consumers can add policies like total loss replacement, full coverage for carry-on items (like fishing equipment or scuba gear) and mechanical breakdown coverage to better customize their policies.

• Insurance limitations: Progressive lists its insurance limitations on the company website. Boats over 50 feet long or PWCs worth over $27,000 are uninsurable through Progressive, so consumers should make sure their boat fits their qualifications.

Progressive Boat Insurance Company Information