2. Automotive
  3. Boat Insurance

3.9/5 (77 ratings)

About Progressive Boat Insurance

Progressive Boat Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Boat Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Boat Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I had Progressive full coverage on my boat when I hit a rock this summer with stern drive. I thought they would fix with oem parts — nope! Ended up being a fight the whole time. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Their policy has so much fine print exclusions that your boat is not actually insured. I do not recommend. I had a horrible experience and would hate to see anyone else go through it. After years of payments when I needed coverage "Oh sorry that's an exclusion". Nothing was covered.

Get buying tips about Boat Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

Our boat caught fire and I was waiting for the police and fire reports to say anything but here goes.... Someone threw a party 4 slips down and multiple people witnessed people from the party going to the boat. We do not have concrete evidence yet of how it started but my BBQ was moved so one would speculate.... I did not have personal coverage so I lost around $20,000 in scuba, spear and fishing gear on top of it all @progressive is fighting to pay the salvage bill after they were told it was going to sink....

Now they are trying not cover the full valve of the boat (loan amount) so hopefully this help someone when choosing insurance companies because Progressive is definitely not the route you want to go. A Personal friend is a detective that goes after insurance companies that screw people over. I figured a large company like this would never do this to an a consumer but apparently I was wrong so this will be our final step.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Progressive issued the insurance and then cancelled it 2 months later because they didn’t understand custom built vessel HIN numbers. The vessel is a 39’ federally documented trawler which they also didn’t know how to look up in the US Coast Guard databases. Progressive refused to Try to understand the HIN numbers were legitimate and to top it off Progressive had insured the vessel for the previous owner. Stay away from these folks.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I added sign and glide to my policy 6 years ago. If something happens on the lake they will send help. Today I ran out of gas in the middle of the lake. When I called all they could do was tell me to call the police department. I can do that on my own. I don't need to pay them extra for that.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Owned a boat since 1992, never ever had a claim until this year. Bought a newer boat this year, had everything done we were supposed to prior to purchase, etc., out in lake and hit something which caused us to break a shaft and lose prop. Never once did adjuster come out to look at it, made his decision based on a cell phone picture. Unfortunately now we have to fight this and take to court. Isn’t this why we have insurance in the first place? Would never refer someone to Progressive. Awful experience.

Original review: July 15, 2020

My boat tower was hit by another boat. The insurance adjuster looked at pictures and sent me a check for $1064.19. Told me the repair shop to take it to and said not to worry if it costs more, he will work it out with them as they work with these guys all the time. He also said he would pay to have my tower taken off and put back on. The $1064 was supposedly to cover all of it. I took the tower off myself because no one could do it for 3-4 weeks. I took it to the approved repair shop.

Meanwhile Progressive sent out a person to take more pictures and then they called me a week later, yesterday, saying the claim was denied. WHY? They said, "We believe it wasn't struck and that the fiberglass looks a little darker than it should." Repair shop said it would cost more than $1064 to do just the fiberglass repair. Not the gel coat, not the tower. I've been screwed by the Progressive. Bunch of thieves with a license to steal! Progressive does what they can to deny your claim or write a check for half the amount and walk away. If you like that treatment you'll love these Progressive!

Original review: July 9, 2020

Progressive boat is a poor company. I had their insurance for 11 years. I hit something out in the ocean. I broke my lower unit. Mechanic gave me an estimate for $4800 for a complete blower unit. Progressive will not pay for the complete lower unit. They wanted to repair the lower unit on the boat. The mechanic said he would repair it but he would not warranty it because he didn’t think it would hold together because of the way I hit the object. Said to him was too hard. Progressive said they would warranty it for a year but the mechanic still stated he didn’t think it was a good idea.

I’ve used this mechanic for years. He knows what he’s talking about. The man in progressive was sitting in a desk and never even looked at the lower unit and he could tell it How it needs to be repaired. They offered me $2500 for the repair. They opted for the $4800 repair. I took the money out of my pocket to repair it correctly. Progressive would not negotiate with me or meet me halfway. They actually were a little rude. If you’re smart you shop around. Use an agent that can help you because progressive take your money for years and leave you unsatisfied.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I have 3 trucks, a car and 2 boats with Progressive. I pay all my policies in full on time every time. I had a claim on my small boat filed back in January. Progressive tried to deny claim so I submitted paperwork from experts in the field refuting their denial. They re-opened the claim but are still dragging their feet and making me jump through hoops so they don't have to pay. I have hired an attorney to fight them and we are finally making some progress but they are still putting me off. Here we are at the end of May and still nothing so I had to start repairs out of pocket. Can't tell you how bad they treated me as a customer for so many years and when I finally need their service this is what I get.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I recently filed a claim on May 4, 2020 due to striking a rock out in the gulf and damaging my lower unit and prop. I came here to read reviews before submitting my claim just to see what to expect and was appalled at how negative the reviews are. As a result, my expectations were immediately very low. I proceeded with my claim however and I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. The Progressive claim rep was extremely responsive to my questions and very polite. I was initially considering paying out of pocket to avoid rate increased so he walked me through the process and explained that I could cancel the claim at any point if I wanted to.

Once the claim was made, I had my boat in the shop the next day and the estimate was complete two days later. Because of the cost, I decided to proceed with the claim and in less than two weeks, my boat was back with a new lower unit and a reconditioned prop. I couldn't be happier with the service. I hope others see that some folks DO have positive experiences with Progressive.

Progressive Boat Insurance author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Progressive Insurance has been insuring cars since 1937, and they now extend their insurance offerings to boats and watercraft. Their policies are customizable, and they prioritize getting their customers the best possible savings without sacrificing coverage.

• No marine survey or navigation plan required: Some companies require a detailed survey of a consumer’s boat, usually at the consumer’s expense, before making a final insurance offer. Progressive will insure a boat without the need of an inspection.

• Discounts: From multi-policy to safe boater discounts, Progressive offers numerous ways for consumers to save money on their policies.

• Standard coverages: Progressive’s standard policies include medical payments, uninsured/underinsured boater, comprehensive/collision and bodily injury/property damage.

• Add-on coverage: Consumers can add policies like total loss replacement, full coverage for carry-on items (like fishing equipment or scuba gear) and mechanical breakdown coverage to better customize their policies.

• Insurance limitations: Progressive lists its insurance limitations on the company website. Boats over 50 feet long or PWCs worth over $27,000 are uninsurable through Progressive, so consumers should make sure their boat fits their qualifications.

Progressive Boat Insurance Company Information