2.73/5
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratings

22 Progressive Boat Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have a marine service and repair shop, we've been in business over 40 years and have a sterling reputation in our community and the surrounding area. We do a fair amount of repair work for insurance claims and I can say that Progressive, without a doubt, is hands down the absolute worst insurance company to deal with. Most of the jobs we do are pretty straightforward, and we don't have consistent problems with any insurance company...except one. Every time a customer tells me that they are insured with Progressive, I prepare for a fight and they never let me down. Every single time I send a bid to Progressive, the adjuster sends it back with an estimate of his own that is generally about around 25% of my original bid.

Now, I know for a fact that our labor rate is lower than any of our main competitors, and I know this because customers who are paying out of pocket for their repairs almost always end up back with us after shopping around, and it is extremely rare for any insurance company other than Progressive to give any push back on our estimates, and many of them recommend us to their customers. I understand requests to justify some of the line items on a bid, or attempts at good faith negotiation to try and shave off a little bit here and there, but what Progressive does is dishonest and disgusting. Every single time we've dealt with them, they make what should be a fairly simple process as miserable as possible, both for us, and for their customer. The people from Progressive that we usually have the pleasure of dealing with are nearly always smug, condescending jerks who talk down to everyone involved.

They generally try to bully and manipulate their customer into taking their boat to some hack operation that they know will do a shoddy repair for cheap, and sometimes they flat out refuse to pay for what is obviously a legitimate claim. I have had multiple customers who have had to get their attorney involved in order to get anything done. As someone who deals with just about every insurance company you've ever heard of, I can honestly say that every boat owner should stay far away from Progressive. Boat insurance is generally pretty cheap to begin with, and I can guarantee that the few additional dollars you may save with Progressive are absolutely not worth it if you ever have to make a claim.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

The 4737 phone number listed everywhere for boat is actually auto. When you eventually get a human, they say they need to pass you to a boat rep... and you stay on hold forever with no one picking up. Numerous attempts. 30+ minute waits with no one. I’m working with my credit card to dispute my prior insurance payment... because I need a boat rep to cancel my insurance... which I can’t contact... which is why I need to cancel. They had no problem getting on the phone last month to sign me up.

Get expert buying tips about Boat Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

This is my current experience with "Progressive". The following is an emailed response following a conversation with a Progressive Claims Person. I am a business owner who was made aware of by my insurance company that Progressive was seeking assistance with paying a claim in which their customers boat burned up at our fuel dock. After I made her aware the Fish & Game report was incorrect and currently being reviewed by F&G at my request, I was informed that even if the report was revised to show the 15 year old occupant as the driver, Progressive still pays long as he had owners permission. Going to give Progressive a few days to digest this review before I take this information public as well as to the Insurance Commissioner for KY. Unbelievable... I'm hoping they will rethink this issue. Especially since no one's asked for the video footage of the kid driving.

"I would like to express my disappointment when you informed that Progressive Insurance pays a claim in spite of the fact the operator was 15 years old; long as he had owners permission. As I mentioned, it is against KY law for a minor to operate a motorized watercraft; this was a dual engine cabin yacht. I have to disagree with your policy and inform you this is a major cause in boating accidents. So, if it's you’re policy to allow minors to operate a vessel, while breaking KY law, then good luck. But you may want to replace your risk management team.

In closing, if the occupants lied about who was operating the boat, perhaps they lied about other things? I’m quite sure on May 23, 2018, they didn’t know/think an insurance company would pay a claim with a minor operating a cabin yacht; or they would have admitted in their statement who the real driver was. I’m quite confident they did know minors aren’t allowed to operate a motorized vessel in KY…"

Original review: July 26, 2018

My 19 foot Carolina Skiff developed a ix 1/2 inch hole on my first time out. I had cleaned the bottom before putting it in storage and there was no small hole. Claim was for $1,800 less my $500 deductible and they said it occurred before I had my insurance. USAA uses them and it amazes me why they chose Progressive. Anyway I will try to appeal and we will see where that goes.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I own a 24' stern-drive powerboat. I hit a submerged rock with the cone of the outdrive. The boat sustained damage to the transom, hull, and other parts. I had Progressive boat insurance with "Glide 'N Ride" coverage, which covers towing. They paid the towing, they paid for the damage (around $8,500), they had an expert claims adjuster, who was very responsive and proactive, and settled it directly with the repair marina, so the claim and repair were basically painless. Given the other ratings, I was shocked... but, I would recommend them to anyone who owns a boat. No reservations.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Boat Insurance?

Original review: June 12, 2018

My boat was hit by a progressive boat owner, huge hole put in my hull, boat needed to be repaired and painted. Progressive has refused to paint whole boat, said you can only see one side at a time, color doesn't match, this is a $50,000 boat and 16 weeks out of water, in NE that's an entire season. Stay away from Progressive.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Have owned the Jet Ski for 10 years and never had a claim on it. A few weeks ago we were riding in the river at our home and hit something under the water damaging the bottom of the ski. We have no idea what we hit. We took the Jet Ski to a repair shop that was recommended to us by Progressive Adjuster. Shop estimated about $2500 to repair Jet Ski and we have a 1,000 deductible. They are only wanting to pay us $400 for repairs after deductible and are saying we continued to ride the Jet Ski and beach it after we hit something which is a ball face lie! We don’t even live around a beach in the first place and the ski has not been back in the water since the incident happened.

What worries us the most is we own two other boats that are insured with Progressive. A new pontoon boat and a Power Boat. What will we run into if we ever have a claim for $30K on our power boat if they are fighting us over $1,000? We will be moving our watercraft policies to another company as soon as we get this mess straightened out. Reporting to the insurance commissioner tomorrow and posting on FB!

Original review: May 18, 2018

Insurance was easy to set up and fairly priced. I had insurance for my boat for 6 years and never had a claim. One day I put the boat in the water to go fill the tank. I got just outside the marina and noticed it was taking on water fast. Looked in the bilge and saw my bait tank valve had cracked and water was rushing in. The bilge pump couldn't keep up and water flooded into the fuel tank overflow vent and killed the motor. I flagged a boat down and he towed me in while I used a bucket to bail. Made it back to the dock barely and onto the trailer. The motor had sucked up saltwater so I called Progressive to make a claim.

The adjuster said this should be easy. It's obvious what happened, she could see the crack. Took it to their preferred service guy and they pumped out the water from the tank and serviced the motor. $3,200. Progressive took forever to get back to me and when they did they said, "Sorry, we will not cover this." Their only explanation was that they did not believe my story. If it would have sank they would have covered it.

So because I was quick to act and limit the damage it was now my fault. I should inspect every inch of the boat before I go out. I have all service records and maintain the boat in perfect shape. How am I supposed to see a crack on a through hull valve? This was a sudden event and should be covered. Customer service was incredibly rude throughout this and they basically told me, "We dont believe you." There is nothing more frustrating than telling the truth and being told you were a liar. Since this I have heard a crazy amount of similar stories. Stay away!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

This winter, snow & ice slid off a tree in the front yard at Wigwam at The Point - Big Bear Lake and landed on top of "The Knot-So-Fast", Duffy Electric 21-foot Classic, collapsing a STEEL FRAME over the entire boat, but with a bigger dent in one place, in exactly the wrong place, namely over the electrical hub of the boat. The frame suddenly went from being convex to being concave. Because of the concavity, the top became a "bathtub", OTHER than AS it was designed (to shed snow and water). Progressive covered the loss to the frame, though they have been vague about how they arrived at the amount, and have not offered to cover any of the transportation costs to and from the repair facility. Or the costs for diagnosis of the other problems.

Despite all the news about this being a very snowy winter, that was not the case in Big Bear Lake, and, in fact, the lake is still down 13 feet. Unfortunately, the record show everywhere else in the state is working against me by making them think that this was an abnormally snowy winter and that I was perhaps remiss in checking the boat. I check the boat weekly, as does the handyman, and we never saw any big accumulation of snow on that boat. Nor could you see that the center of cover was collapsed because it sits up on a trailer and is out of view.

Duffy Electric Boats stated in an email that in the event of such a concavity of the top frame, one that occurred suddenly, that the water would come through in "one hour to one day". Because of the location of the concavity over the helm, the electrical system shorted out and caused the bilge to fail, and the boat to fill with water. In turn, the motor was ruined. I believe that one hour to one day was all it took and I call that sudden. It is a completely reasonable explanation.

Of note is that the boat was plugged into the electric grid the entire time, and there is no drain plug to remove that would've prevented water accumulation. The wood veneer over the fiberglass was destroyed, but that happened more gradually, and I believe that their determination is correct that the floor should not have been covered as an acute event. In any case, water did not pass through rotted wood and then through opaque fiberglass. The bid to repair all the electrical damage, motor, floor and related parts is about $15,000. The batteries were also damaged, and that is another $3000. The charger is ok.

Steven **, the Progressive employee who determines the extent of coverage, is unable to define "sudden." The insurance comprehensive coverage pays for direct and accidental loss caused by a flood or storm. Even though they paid for a direct loss to a steel frame that then caused water intrusion, they are adamant that the two are unrelated. They say that water damage occurring over one hour to one day is "gradual deterioration". Yet, they cannot define "sudden". I believe that they are convoluting the language to avoid paying a valid claim and I was advised by Mr. ** that I would have to escalate this to the California Department of Insurance if I expected a different outcome.

They do not seem to have a problem distinguishing between part of a claim that is covered and part of the claim that is not covered. I agree with that. I have four Vespa/Lambretta motorcycles, a travel trailer, and two boats insured with Progressive, and I am shopping for other insurance. Clearly, they do not value my continued business. I do plan to follow this up with USAA as well, since I was referred to Progressive as a partner.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I hit something submerged under water and snapped my prop shaft. I contacted Progressive and they told me to take it to a shop and they would inspect it. The inspector called me and stated he wouldn't be able to look at it until the following Tuesday and that he would call me on Tuesday. Well Thursday comes around and I haven't heard from him. So I call him and he tells me that they are going to deny my claim because he said it was a part that failed. I told him the reason the part failed was because I hit something under water. This is my second claim with them and both times they told me it was either a part that failed or normal wear.

Well I can tell you I've been with them for 10+ years and I will not be with them anymore. I have friends that have Geico and never had a problem with any of their claims. They also switched to Geico due to problems with Progressive Insurance handling claims. It's a shame that you spend thousands of dollars for insurance and when something happens they don't even cover it.

Original review: May 20, 2017

Purchased boat insurance and paid in full for the 12 month policy. Two weeks ago we sold the boat. Contacted Progressive to cancel policy. Was told there was a refund and it would go to my bank. I explained we closed the bank account and now had a credit union. The lady said it would go to my closed bank account and I should contact bank as to where my refund was. I called bank and they said if on closed account they would send back. Called Progressive and was told account closed and not their problem. Told me now to contact Merchants Exchange. Asked where that was and the lady said she did not know. Said to call bank. So I called bank and they said what... I would not care but it's $363.00. So beware of this company. No help and customer service is rude.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I wish I read all of the bad reviews about Progressive before I bought insurance from them. So many complaints. In my case my boat floated off the boat lift during an extreme high tide. Unfortunately for me I usually tie an emergency line from the boat to the dock. When my boat floated off the lift the nose of the boat was still on the lift so I swam under the boat, put the plug in and bailed the boat until it floated enough to put it back on the lift, remove the plug and let it drain out. The (inboard) motor is now full of salt water.

The closest boat ramp is 2 miles away. Progressive wants me to put the boat in the water, tow it to the boat ramp 2 miles away and trailer it to a boat mechanic to verify that it's full of salt water. If I didn't tie the boat to the dock it would be on the bottom of the canal now, so I spent 2 hours bailing a boat out with a bucket and then pulling it up on the lift to be called a liar. So much hassle, terrible customer service, hours on the phone explaining the same story over and over. If you buy Progressive Insurance you are sunk.

Original review: March 14, 2017

It's been about 5 years since we've owned a boat but Progressive's standard coverage was a decent rate. They were a great company to work with and were always there when we need them. They are there to answer any questions that we might have about rates although they are a littler more pricey.

Original review: March 3, 2017

They offer great coverage and is always there when needed. Offers Leaks sink holes damage from storms. When needed just call and they get what you need done. They send what you need to get done fast.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

They have very comprehensive coverage not only for the owner but for passengers as well. Added to that they give you great discounts for bundling other insurance products with them which saves you in the long run. I purchased extra insurance options for passengers as well as extended warranty for the engine on the boat which will help. Just in case something malfunctions I know that I'm covered. The price is very competitive with other insurance companies. They are more than willing to go the extra mile to help you with any question that you might have. They also are proactive with letting you know about new and innovative features they have.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

They don't have any depreciation on repairs and unlimited forgiveness on accidents that are small. They also have accident forgiveness for larger accidents but of course there is limits there. They have total loss replacement and coverage of up to 10,000 dollars for personal items on the boat. There is a disappearing deductible option as well. It decreases by 25% for each year you go without an accident until it's down to 0. I think the price I pay for coverage is very reasonable. It's competitive to other companies and the amount of coverage that I receive makes me feel like I am getting great value from a reliable company. Their customer service is typically available whenever I need to call and they are always polite. I feel as though they take the time to answer my questions and reassure me if I have any concerns.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

The coverage is pretty basic. They told us the amount of coverage we had to have, which was way more than necessary, but they wouldn't have sold us the policy otherwise. We only purchased what was required. The boat was 10 years old at the time and paid for (no mortgage), yet they wanted to insure it for an amount like it was brand new. Absolutely ridiculous. We had to have insurance to store it at the marina, so we really had no choice. Price was ok, but not overly good or bad. We should have been able to purchase a policy for the amount we wanted, not what the company dictated. As it was, they had us extremely over insured. The representative would not listen to us. They kept insisting the dollar value for our boat was significantly more than it really was.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

It is great price and amazing coverage and really great people will help you with any trouble and easy to set up and easy to make payment and easy to use. I like you can get extra coverage. Progressive Boat Insurance is a good choice.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I switched to Geico because it offered a better rate for me. It was just too much for me to continue using Progressive for boat insurance. It didn't even offer me extra coverage for a reasonable price. Way too expensive to keep on using on a annual basis. I would recommend other services from them, just not boat insurance. They like to up the price on a lot of things. They wanted to work with me, I'll give them credit for that. They went above and beyond to answer my questions but the rates they would not drop at all so I dropped them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Progressive Boat Insurance provides insurance for a variety of accidents, as well as multiple types of damage that may be done to property under a variety of circumstances. Does not penalize the customer for a mishap and sees to it that most, if not all, monetary loss that is a result of an accident is covered by the insurance. Extra coverage options may include, but are not limited to: medical payments, towing and assistance. Also, marine specific risks such as pollution and environmental damage - in addition to potential wreckage. Most of these extra coverage options only cover boat usage in inland waterways, lakes and rivers.

The coverage price for this particular form of insurance usually goes one of two ways: either the actual cash value and agree value. Actual cash value, which is cheaper, but also factors in depreciation. Agree value covers the boat at the value that was declared at the time that the policy was written. Customer service is top notch - there is minimal waiting time, less bureaucratic measures taken than most other insurance companies and once you do get in touch, the representatives are well spoken, friendly and knowledgeable. Some of the smoothest and most pleasant customer service experiences I have had in my life were with this particular brand.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Progressive Boat Insurance's $100 per year premium excludes state fees and taxes, and is not available in all states but is in the state of California where I live. Coverage features and discounts are subject to policy terms and are not available for all boats and coverage selections. It is available in most states. The company's extra coverage options are the best. I have my boat, car, and motorcycle all on one insurance policy and I am getting ready to add a trailer on next. The price is fair. I pay a little under $100 a month for 3 different items but I am fully covered in case of any accident on any of the items I have insured. The customer service is truly one of a kind. They are thoughtful, intelligent of what their selling and help to find the best deals possible for your situation.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

They have the best customer service. You will not be talking to no machines. You will always find someone to answer your call and always have an answer to your problem. They always have a great solution. Other than great customer service they have great coverage. They have several plans that will meet your budget. Deductibles are good because they are reasonable. They will not empty your pocket. They also have 24/7 emergency service. They have plenty of options to choose from. One of the options is the emergency to 911 and they will inform your loved ones if you are in trouble. They have a monthly insurance coverage, a six month and a year coverage. The more coverage you get the more you save. I usually take the six month coverage since we don't use our boat year round only during the spring and summer.

Progressive Boat Insurance expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Progressive Insurance has been insuring cars since 1937, and they now extend their insurance offerings to boats and watercraft. Their policies are customizable, and they prioritize getting their customers the best possible savings without sacrificing coverage.

• No marine survey or navigation plan required: Some companies require a detailed survey of a consumer’s boat, usually at the consumer’s expense, before making a final insurance offer. Progressive will insure a boat without the need of an inspection.

• Discounts: From multi-policy to safe boater discounts, Progressive offers numerous ways for consumers to save money on their policies.

• Standard coverages: Progressive’s standard policies include medical payments, uninsured/underinsured boater, comprehensive/collision and bodily injury/property damage.

• Add-on coverage: Consumers can add policies like total loss replacement, full coverage for carry-on items (like fishing equipment or scuba gear) and mechanical breakdown coverage to better customize their policies.

• Insurance limitations: Progressive lists its insurance limitations on the company website. Boats over 50 feet long or PWCs worth over $27,000 are uninsurable through Progressive, so consumers should make sure their boat fits their qualifications.

• Best for: Progressive is best for consumers who want to save on boat insurance and customize their policies.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs