Progressive Boat Insurance

Compare Boat Insurance

Research top Boat Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

They have very comprehensive coverage not only for the owner but for passengers as well. Added to that they give you great discounts for bundling other insurance products with them which saves you in the long run. I purchased extra insurance options for passengers as well as extended warranty for the engine on the boat which will help. Just in case something malfunctions I know that I'm covered. The price is very competitive with other insurance companies. They are more than willing to go the extra mile to help you with any question that you might have. They also are proactive with letting you know about new and innovative features they have.

They don't have any depreciation on repairs and unlimited forgiveness on accidents that are small. They also have accident forgiveness for larger accidents but of course there is limits there. They have total loss replacement and coverage of up to 10,000 dollars for personal items on the boat. There is a disappearing deductible option as well. It decreases by 25% for each year you go without an accident until it's down to 0. I think the price I pay for coverage is very reasonable. It's competitive to other companies and the amount of coverage that I receive makes me feel like I am getting great value from a reliable company. Their customer service is typically available whenever I need to call and they are always polite. I feel as though they take the time to answer my questions and reassure me if I have any concerns.

The coverage is pretty basic. They told us the amount of coverage we had to have, which was way more than necessary, but they wouldn't have sold us the policy otherwise. We only purchased what was required. The boat was 10 years old at the time and paid for (no mortgage), yet they wanted to insure it for an amount like it was brand new. Absolutely ridiculous. We had to have insurance to store it at the marina, so we really had no choice. Price was ok, but not overly good or bad. We should have been able to purchase a policy for the amount we wanted, not what the company dictated. As it was, they had us extremely over insured. The representative would not listen to us. They kept insisting the dollar value for our boat was significantly more than it really was.

It is great price and amazing coverage and really great people will help you with any trouble and easy to set up and easy to make payment and easy to use. I like you can get extra coverage. Progressive Boat Insurance is a good choice.

I switched to Geico because it offered a better rate for me. It was just too much for me to continue using Progressive for boat insurance. It didn't even offer me extra coverage for a reasonable price. Way too expensive to keep on using on a annual basis. I would recommend other services from them, just not boat insurance. They like to up the price on a lot of things. They wanted to work with me, I'll give them credit for that. They went above and beyond to answer my questions but the rates they would not drop at all so I dropped them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Boat Insurance?

Progressive Boat Insurance provides insurance for a variety of accidents, as well as multiple types of damage that may be done to property under a variety of circumstances. Does not penalize the customer for a mishap and sees to it that most, if not all, monetary loss that is a result of an accident is covered by the insurance. Extra coverage options may include, but are not limited to: medical payments, towing and assistance. Also, marine specific risks such as pollution and environmental damage - in addition to potential wreckage. Most of these extra coverage options only cover boat usage in inland waterways, lakes and rivers.

The coverage price for this particular form of insurance usually goes one of two ways: either the actual cash value and agree value. Actual cash value, which is cheaper, but also factors in depreciation. Agree value covers the boat at the value that was declared at the time that the policy was written. Customer service is top notch - there is minimal waiting time, less bureaucratic measures taken than most other insurance companies and once you do get in touch, the representatives are well spoken, friendly and knowledgeable. Some of the smoothest and most pleasant customer service experiences I have had in my life were with this particular brand.

Progressive Boat Insurance's $100 per year premium excludes state fees and taxes, and is not available in all states but is in the state of California where I live. Coverage features and discounts are subject to policy terms and are not available for all boats and coverage selections. It is available in most states. The company's extra coverage options are the best. I have my boat, car, and motorcycle all on one insurance policy and I am getting ready to add a trailer on next. The price is fair. I pay a little under $100 a month for 3 different items but I am fully covered in case of any accident on any of the items I have insured. The customer service is truly one of a kind. They are thoughtful, intelligent of what their selling and help to find the best deals possible for your situation.

They have the best customer service. You will not be talking to no machines. You will always find someone to answer your call and always have an answer to your problem. They always have a great solution. Other than great customer service they have great coverage. They have several plans that will meet your budget. Deductibles are good because they are reasonable. They will not empty your pocket. They also have 24/7 emergency service. They have plenty of options to choose from. One of the options is the emergency to 911 and they will inform your loved ones if you are in trouble. They have a monthly insurance coverage, a six month and a year coverage. The more coverage you get the more you save. I usually take the six month coverage since we don't use our boat year round only during the spring and summer.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Progressive Insurance has been insuring cars since 1937, and they now extend their insurance offerings to boats and watercraft. Their policies are customizable, and they prioritize getting their customers the best possible savings without sacrificing coverage.

• No marine survey or navigation plan required: Some companies require a detailed survey of a consumer’s boat, usually at the consumer’s expense, before making a final insurance offer. Progressive will insure a boat without the need of an inspection.
  • Discounts: From multi-policy to safe boater discounts, Progressive offers numerous ways for consumers to save money on their policies.
  • Standard coverages: Progressive’s standard policies include medical payments, uninsured/underinsured boater, comprehensive/collision and bodily injury/property damage.
  • Add-on coverage: Consumers can add policies like total loss replacement, full coverage for carry-on items (like fishing equipment or scuba gear) and mechanical breakdown coverage to better customize their policies.
  • Insurance limitations: Progressive lists its insurance limitations on the company website. Boats over 50 feet long or PWCs worth over $27,000 are uninsurable through Progressive, so consumers should make sure their boat fits their qualifications.
  • Best for Progressive is best for consumers who want to save on boat insurance and customize their policies.

Compare Boat Insurance