Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Cigna Health Insurance
1.47/5

Cigna Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

822 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 14, 2019

So far they've been wonderful and most everything is paid for, just one MRI scan was not. I have not fully utilized the plan however, since my health is pretty good overall. The customer service is good, wellness visits have been free as well as bloodwork. I do wish I had more of a choice of doctors, clinics. I like the free gym club membership as I stay active. I use the Advantage plan.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I like Cigna. They have very good customer service, provide answers and such with a reasonable time frame, and are always ready to help me. I have had several insurance policies in my long past, and Cigna is one I would use again. I have not had trouble getting any service. They are there to help me with options. I feel they care!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have been with Cigna for over 30 yrs. I am a single woman with medical problems that require dr visits, lab work & prescriptions as well as several surgeries. I could never afford the medical attention I need without an HMO. I have a dr I like & the facility is close to where I live so it's convenient for me. As I age my medical problems seem to increase & multiply so Medicare premium is a life saver for me.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Answer phone with name to i.d. who you are speaking to. Quick understanding of questions and prompt response with answer, or how to get the problem solved. They are polite and very pleasant, do not leave you on hold, and thank you for your patience and ask if there are my other other questions you need answered.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Called CIGNA for help with a claim incurred by my daughter while out of state. Service was exceptionally polite and efficient. The agent solved both the hospital and provider claims, volunteering to call the billing company of the ER physician. All in all, he provided a top-notch level of service, exceeding my expectations.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 24, 2019

I have had Cigna for a couple of years now. I’m in fairly good health, but do have one fairly high maintenance chronic condition that needs management. Last year I had two surgeries, both at the same out of network hospital. I had to go out of network just to find a specialist that could help me with my issues. That was just the first problem. Second, upon receipt of my second surgery hospital bill, I owed more than I should have being that I’d already met my out of network deductible of $10,000 with the first surgery that was at the same hospital. Come to find out, Cigna filed one surgery in network and one out, which means I don’t meet a deductible since the first was filed in network.

I’ve spoken to representatives, collected conversation reference numbers, called over and over, and finally spoke with a supervisor who said she’d call me back the same day and it has now been three weeks and I’ve heard nothing, yet continue to get bills from the hospital that I don’t owe. Everyone I have spoken to has admitted it is filed wrong, yet nobody will help me. Meanwhile, this bill will eventually go to collections and sabotage my good credit score and I don’t even owe the money. It’s infuriating. I will try one more call to speak with the supervisor and then take legal action. Nobody should have to spend their valuable time trying to fix an easy issue for seven months waiting for their health bills to be rightly filed and paid while their fiscal health remains at risk. They seem to have no issues taking the meat out of my paycheck each month.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 21, 2019

I went to my dentist. After my first visit she said I had to get a deep cleaning. I had to pay $500 for the whole procedure. I thought it was a bit high so... I called Cigna to see if they could make sure those charges were valid. A rep from Cigna told me she would call the clinic to make sure that the amount said was certain. After a while the rep called me and confirmed that those charges were not valid and that everything should be taken care of, Cigna would take care of all the charges basically saying the whole process was covered.

So on my next visit I was happy, went to my visit, did the whole procedure. I go to the front desk, come to find out that I had to pay the amount I was previously told. I told the front desk lady to please contact my insurance. She called and in front of me they said that it wasn’t covered. Basically calling me a liar in front of the lady. I was so embarrassed...Worst service ever. Never in my life giving them one cent more. They don’t care. It sucks to know I live in a country where the health system is run by idiots and no one cares.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 20, 2019

Though I pay for coverage tried to use their directory for appointment. Directory out of date, incorrect addresses, could not find a Dr near my home. Finally found one and had normal lab work done. The lab was provided by the Dr. Cigna denied all lab work. The reply from them was I am responsible to double check. Even if the Dr is in network the lab was not. I had my previous insurance for 10 years. My company made a change prior to choosing Cigna over Kaiser. I called my Dr to confirm she takes Cigna. When I could not find her name in the directory it was uncover that I had a different product in Cigna that no Dr near me actually accept.

I feel like I got scammed. I have 1000.00 worth of denied claims and still have not got to see a Dr for my annual appointments. Oh yah. Cigna keeps sending me reminders how important these appointments are. So disappointed. Would never recommend and will have to wait until next year and hope I can get better insurance. Out $500.00+ a month for coverage. Coverage for nothing.

Original review: June 19, 2019

My doctor prescribed a CPAP. The device was not set up correctly initially, so I was only using it for 3.3 hours a day, 90% of the days. That didn't meet CIGNA's requirements through CareCentrix of 4 hours a day, 70% of the days. CIGNA refused to pay for the device after 3 months. The doctor prescribed a sleep study. He got the device set up correctly, so I was sleeping 6-8 hours a day, 90% of the days. CIGNA said I had to start compliance over. I was supposed to get a brand new CPAP and give up my current one. Two months later, I still don't have a CPAP. After dealing with two other companies and their messed up processes, CIGNA has come back to deny my claim, stating that I need another sleep study to determine if I need a BiPAP. I'm done with the insurance company determining what I might need, while not providing what I need now. CIGNA sleep management is a determent to the health of the American people, their lives and productivity.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Cigna plays God with your health. The company refuses to cover medical expenses for treatments other insurance companies have covered for years. Cigna does not consider how well your chronic conditions have been managed in the past, or what your doctor may order to monitor your condition. I’ve had rheumatoid arthritis for years, and under United and Blue Cross coverage was able to receive the treatments I need to manage my condition well. My husband has a severe case of myasthenia gravis that we have been able to manage with Blue Cross and United. Cigna does not care if people suffer; nor do the company’s doctors respect their highly reputable colleagues in the field of medicine. The doctors spend no time understanding your medical history; they simply follow standard black and white written protocols, without regard for patients’ well-being.

Doctors should never prescribe treatments without seeing a patient and examining the patient; yet insurance company doctors dictate what can and cannot be done for patients without ever seeing them or reading their health histories. It should be grounds for them losing their license to practice medicine! They simply want to do the least amount they can for people so they can show corporations how much money they can save them. All medical insurance companies employ doctors to make such calls, but Cigna’s docs must be the worst in the country! AVOID CIGNA IF AT ALL POSSIBLE... YOUR HEALTH AND WELL-BEING DEPENDS ON IT!

Original review: June 19, 2019

I’m afraid to even go to the doctor anymore because every time I do, Cigna harasses me to send extra documentation to prove that the charge I put on my HSA card was legitimate. What more do they need aside from the fact that the fee was charged by a doctors office and corresponds to a documented doctor visit? I missed a deadline one time for this and now my card was revoked, they’re holding it for ransom for $900 that I would not get back and could only use for medical purposes. If I had that kind of money lying around I wouldn’t need a HSA card. It’s completely obvious that their requests for extra documentation occur in hopes that you will miss the one deadline they send you and they won’t have to pay. I’ve never been so unhappy with an insurance company.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 15, 2019

My experience with Cigna over the past nine months, is that it pays almost nothing for various (required) medical procedures, such as X-rays. They only covered half of a breast sonogram that my doctor said I needed as a follow-up to a mammogram. I was stuck with a bill for the rest. The dental coverage is also dismal. Even if Cigna is offered by an employer, in the future, I will no longer take it and would rather take out my own private plan.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 14, 2019

Cigna rejected medical claims for lab work for my annual physical as well as diagnostic lab work for hormonal imbalances. They also rejected a claim for lab work for a vitamin D level (my levels had been previously low and my GP was monitoring it). All of the lab work was done at LabCorp, who contracts with Cigna. I used a different lab facility and discovered they had stopped contracting with Cigna because Cigna was not paying them. I had none of these issues with my previous (and less expensive) insurance Blue Shield of California. Unfortunately it was my husband's company who switched to Cigna. I have since learned his fellow employees and their families have been have difficulty with their Cigna insurance coverage as well. Many of these people are veterans. It's shameful!

Original review: June 12, 2019

The 5 star reviews on here seem highly suspicious. My fave is the one praising how Cigna customer service is “ready” to help. Such a marketing buzz phrase. Who is even cognizant of a providers readiness on the other end of a tedious prompt system. Without needing to go into my personal upsets, we were on the coverage for a year pretty much denied everything, I’m trying to remember what was been covered in practice, we went running back to Unitedhealthcare which I didn’t care for until I got the Cigna treatment.

I’m a former insurance SME in NYC (inland marine so not in the same line) but the whole year I kept questioning to my spouse, is this legal? Are they following regulations? Can they do this? Wow, someone’s making a lot of money. So now I’m happily a customer of another carrier waiting for the 60 minutes Cigna exposé. Sadly, I don’t know how to advise if you don’t have any other health insurance options. Disconcerting.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I’ve been trying to have a appointment with medical specialty for weeks and no one from Cigna was able to help me with that. The contact by email is terrible, they couldn’t have that as a way to contact them because it doesn’t work. It’s a shame and I am very unhappy with that. I don’t recommend Cigna as a health insurance.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Tried to get a $400 prescription reimbursed but since the doctor never sent in the preauthorization that was requested by the pharmacy and I even called the office myself to confirm, I’m out $400. I sent in everything they asked of me and even sent everything in a second time because 2 receipts were not on the same paper. This took months and I never once was told they hadn’t even received a preauthorization from the doctor. So the doctor keeps their money, Cigna gets over $1000 from me every month, and I “the customer” lose $400 because other people failed to do their job and now it’s too late to do anything about it according to Cigna. I have a wife and 2 daughters to support and nobody cares as long as they get their money. This is what is wrong with the world today.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 29, 2019

I had made call to Cigna helpdesk before buying one Acne LED Treatment device. The representative told that refer HRA eligible products online on FSA store and there if it is listed then you can buy that. I purchased the product after making call to Cigna. The product is 400$ around. Now after 3 months Cigna saying send claim details, I sent them, but they didn't picked up for review for more than 2-3 weeks. After making call they picked up for review and took another 3-4 weeks. Every time I end up following up with them and they never bothered to call back, even if there is any update. After almost 2 months they are saying product is not eligible and I need to pay from my pocket and they blocked the card. This time again they didn't bothered to inform me and simply blocked card, when I reached to them about card being blocked, they told I my claim is rejected.

I again spend more than 30-40 mins explaining them that it was their representative who told me I can buy this product and now they are not approving it. They told they will listen the call conversation, but again after 3 weeks, after listening the conversation they are saying still my claim is rejected. I am going to file complain again. If they still don't accept it, I will ask them for sharing recording and will think of legal steps. It is purely a harassment from their side. When I took precaution of asking them before buying, why I am blamed for this, and have to pay the cost of it.

Original review: May 22, 2019

My daughter was sent to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for a specialized heart treatment. Mayo was out of network, which was the failure of her insurance broker, but the needed heart procedure was risky and needed to be performed there. After an unnecessary amount of time and a previously denial it took a peer to peer review with her surgeon to get them to reconsider and then approval. After many phone calls was finally given 1 minute before her tests. It was found in the tests that the procedure would not work and more tests and a PET scan was needed. It was expedited so she could get an answer in 24 hours for 2 more days of tests. My daughter has fasted for 2 days while being on the phone with at least 10 different people at Cigna.

The business dept at Mayo had been in contact with them for 2 days along with her doctor. Cigna continually passed her and Mayo reps to other people, kept them on hold for over an hour at a time. We were told at least 3 times to call back in an hour only to be told something which totally contradicted what they said previously. It was heartbreaking as a mother to watch this insurance company totally fail my daughter. She did not need this incredible amount of stress put on her on top of the serious heart issues she was dealing with. I would not wish this experience with Cigna on my worst enemy. If you are thinking about insurance, look elsewhere, Cigna only wants your money with no regard for your life.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Our 2 year old daughter was denied the enteral formula, which she is dependent on for survival after swallowing a lithium ion button battery which damaged her esophagus. We previously received this formula through Cigna. They’re now claiming it’s not ‘a covered code’ and ‘no insurance code will cover it’. This denial violates Texas state law for enteral formula. I’ve read about a potential class action and would be interested if anyone could provide that information. Our appeal wasn’t acknowledged and is a futile attempt to give their members busy work. They claimed I needed to appeal via mail or fax. I’m 37 years old, run a real estate company, and have never sent a fax. It’s interesting, in such a technologically advanced field, they require inconvenient an archaic method to create an appeal.

This is a morally bankrupt company. We pay $1,400 a month for insurance and they consistently refuse to pay. Our daughter's physician did seem the formula medically necessary. We are contacting our local news media and would appreciate any additional suggestions. I would recommend everyone contact local news media to request a consumer reporting investigation. Cigna is disconnected from the people who struggle every day for basic needs such as medical care. They have a history inappropriately denying medical care and prescription drugs to its members without reason or merit.

Original review: May 12, 2019

After two years of trying all types of medication doctor was able to find medication that worked. Have data and lab results to support findings. The medicine prescribed got my AC1 from 8.8 to 5 but Cigna will not pay for the medicine. Even with documentation that it works and provide a better life. All appeals have been denied by Cigna.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have my medical insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield, but my mental health benefits are apparently covered through Cigna. I say "apparently" because I had no indication on my insurance card whatsoever that I needed to go through Cigna. They don't even give their consumers cards so that we are aware of it. I was referred to my therapist because she was in network with Blue Cross Blue Shield, only for her to submit my claims and find out that she was actually out of my network because my benefits weren't covered through Blue Cross Blue Shield.

I filed a first AND second appeal, which were both denied due to "plenty of in-network providers in my area." Thank you, Captain Obvious! I would have used an in-network provider HAD I known I had to use Cigna and NOT Blue Cross Blue Shield. I am currently still fighting them on this, I have filed an on record complaint that I am currently waiting to hear back from. Frustrating and deceitful. Glad they think it's acceptable for people who struggle with mental health to switch therapists because of THEIR mistake. Ridiculous.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I just got hit with a $450 lab bill from my in network provider to do a urinalysis. Cigna didn't pay one cent to the lab. They expect me to pay the whole bill. Cigna claims the lab is out of network, however the lab states they're in network with my doctor and my plan with Cigna. The doctor's office is basically clueless. All I know is that I pay my monthly premium, copays, etc. I make sure I go to in network providers. The problem is that patients get stuck in the middle and foot Bill's they shouldn't. They all blame each other, and they all have different explanations for the charges and lack of payment on Cigna's end.

Moreover, we have had nothing but issues with Cigna not working with my husband's sleep study doctor. No one I speak to claims to know anything about who to call for sleep medicine issues, billing issues with sleep study programs, etc. Cigna is getting worse every year. It's almost as bad as Blue Cross. As high as our deductibles are, it doesn't feel like insurance with the lack of compensation from Cigna. I'd give zero stars if I could. This company just wants to take your money. If you need them; though luck.

Original review: May 2, 2019

If you ever have chest pain go to the hospital. Do not go to your doctor's office. All they will do is stonewall you from that point forward. I had chest pains over a two-day. Instead of going to the hospital I went to my doctor's office where I was given an EKG which came back normal. My doctor then wanted me to take an echo stress test. Cigna denied that stress test until I went to see a cardiologist. I went and saw the cardiologists. He scheduled me for the original Echo chamber test then he also wanted me to take a cardiolite test. Both are stress tests. I took the echo stress test last week. I was scheduled to take the cardiolite test this week. One day before the cardiolite test I received the call from my doctor's office informing me that Cigna did not want to pay for the meds for the cardiolite test which cost $2,500. Their reasoning is my EKG test was okay so I must be okay.

Talk to the receptionist at my doctor's office. I guess this is a common practice with insurance companies nowadays. This is Criminal behavior. Also it has been over a month since I've had the original chest pains. They made me jump through all these hoops scheduling these extra appointments. If I could have just gotten the original test done when it was closer to my episode I would have felt a lot better about the results. I plan on calling my State Rep, my state senators, my Federal rep, my federal senators and let them know the situation.

Original review: April 27, 2019

The coverage is poor, the copays are high, the options are poor, in-network doctors are limited, bills vary even if it is a reoccurring service, website has a hilariously outdated list of in-network physicians.

Resolution response: May 9, 2019

The company responded to this review with an invitation to contact them at **. I did so, and provided case details. They responded in a timely manner and indicated that the description above is correct, and no further options are available.

No star-rating update.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I was prescribed and picked up medication my first week; wasn't in their system yet. I paid out of pocket and submitted the pharmacy reimbursement form by mail. They didn't tell me when they denied the claim. When I emailed to follow up, they told me they'd need to back-date a pre-authorization to get it filled, and that they wouldn't do that for more than 30 days back. They told me this on day 29. They got the number of days wrong in the claim (30, not 90). They got the pharmacy wrong (CVS, not Walgreens). In the end, they wouldn't cover the prescription at all. If I had randomly chosen, say, CVS, they would have. They cover 90-day supplies of drugs only from a certain list of pharmacies.

I had none of this information, because my first week I wasn't in their system and could not be added faster - despite my HR rep requesting to expedite my case. I couldn't even get my plan number, so my doctor and I were operating in the dark. Guessed wrong. They get +1 star because the Cigna customer service rep, after getting denied twice by their claims department, independently found a Cigna-Walgreens coupon for the drug and called Walgreens multiple times until Walgreens agreed to refund the price difference. End result, I paid 2.5x what I should have, which is a hell of a lot better than the original 14x.

Takeaways:
- If you must do a pharmacy reimbursement, get a 30-days supply; all in-network pharmacies are eligible for those, as opposed to the smaller special list of 90-day-eligible pharmacies.
- Cigna: get a better process for new customer ingress than a once-weekly batch import. Also, if you're gonna deny a claim, either call or mail or have it show up in the user portal (MyCigna). Or better yet, all 3. And extend the 30d back-pre-authorization limit to 60d.

- Employers: don't choose Cigna. Talking with my colleagues, this type of hidden-rules problem and bad user experience is the norm since we switch to them from Anthem Blue Cross.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I get absolutely no help from customer service or anyone else. The HMO Drs are the worst! I had a torn meniscus and they refused to allow an MRI. I'm still walking around in pain because I have nowhere to turn unless I want to pay 10 grand out of pocket. Cigna is terrible and I have alerted my company. Probably nothing will come of it but I can't stand this insurance. People with no insurance have better coverage than me.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Was overcharged several hundred dollars for the doctor to look in my wife's nose to confirm she had a polyp which she already knew she had. $800+ for the doctor who spent less than 7 minutes with her but charged for an office visit of 45 minutes. Called to complain but customer service didn't care. This is outrageous and pure theft of consumers!

Original review: April 15, 2019

Cigna requires a Pre-authorisation for all types of claims which is really annoying and can be expensive (Call to UK) and invasive (non-medical call centre staff asking what’s wrong) but with the pre-authorization, claims are processed online and fast. They are not cheap but competitively priced for global coverage (excluding US).

Original review: April 13, 2019

We had this insurance through my husband's job at a hospital. It was terrible, terrible, terrible. The hospital paid a HUGE amount, we paid another $6,000, and we basically had no coverage. It's past time to get rid of these greedhead insurance companies.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Too expensive despite the fact that I was a Cigna customer from 2015 to 2018 through corporate employee insurance of my company. I wanted to get a better deal or one similar to the corporate policy that I had.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information