Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Cigna Health Insurance Call Now Toll Free (855) 564-1052 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Cigna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Resolution response: June 25, 2020

I am happy to say that my issue has been resolved. This resolution was handled by Javonne W, which I might add did an amazing job and showed great diligence in handling this from day one of involvement. This is the type of service I once had with Cigna many years before. I truly felt that level of service had been lost, but I now have a much higher and confident opinion of Cigna. The way this was handled and resolved is exactly what customer service is all about!

Original review: June 9, 2020

I recently had $20k in dental performed. I paid for the services out of pocket thinking I would get a small portion back, as in at least the $2k max that they state they will cover. I was wrong, not only did I get nothing, but they say that only $150.00 will be applied to my deductible which is ridiculous. The reason they are not paying is because my Dr is out of their network, not that the work wasn't covered. It's my fault that I didn't research it more thoroughly prior to making my decision on the DR. It's also my fault that I didn't research Cigna more thoroughly prior to signing up for their services.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I am so disappointed and FRUSTRATED with Cigna! My husband works in a place where they switched to Cigna. We have two special needs boys which got therapies since 2014 from a certain place that was out of network. We contacted the agent to get help and it's already 7 months as nothing moves. In the beginning, it was "one-two months..." Then, "holidays..." After it " send us the last insurance statement so we can see how much the previous insurance paid". Next, "send us diagnosis of your boys". After it NOTHING!!! I called during the beginning of this long process to Cigna customer service and had been said you don't do this. The WORST customer service with a RUDE person! So now my boys without the therapy and it's THEIR FAULT because this the ONLY place which won't give up on any behavior.

I don't know what else to do because the agent tries to push things and NOTHING really happened. Even the person from the therapy place cannot reach the one who takes care in Cigna because she do NOT answer the phone calls and emails don't get respond... I don't know what else I should do to help my kids!!! If you honestly want a normal insurance that cares about their clients don't go to Cigna!!!

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I've been a member for years, and called the support to remove my family member 2 weeks ago. They still haven't updated the info online, and called them again. The guy who answered was super rude, and tried to make me overpay. He had a bad attitude, and almost threatened me so I just hanged up. I called the same customer service number again, and female support answered and she told me that my new premium balance would be almost half. I had a dental insurance with Delta before, and they are much better, and I will go back to them.

Original review: May 10, 2020

This is, by far, the worst possible health "insurance." They declined an MRI for my cervical spine despite debilitating symptoms. They expect me to have six weeks of "physician-guided care" before authorizing imaging, yet there is absolutely nothing the doctor can do without a proper diagnosis. This is criminal and totally unethical.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I'm a new immigrant to Canada and arrived in Toronto in March 2020. Normally there is a 3-month waiting period before a new immigrant can gain access to Canadian universal health care system. So I decided to purchase Cigna Close Care Plan for the period of 3 months. However, when I applied for Ontario Health Insurance Plan, I found out that the government had waived the 3-month waiting period to support the people during the pandemic. Per Cigna Close Care Plan agreement, I have statutory right to cancel my plan within 14 days ("cooling-off period") and receive a full refund. So I immediately made a written request of cancellation to Cigna within the 14-day period. I also followed up with them through phone calls about the cancellation within the 14 days.

Every time I contacted the Customer Service, they continuously delayed the process by making excuses that someone else in their company already looked into it and there was nothing they could do. After making several attempts of questioning them, I found out that the cancellation had to be handled by the Sales Department (very odd!), so I sent more emails and made more phone calls to their Sales Department within the 14 days and every time, my calls were delayed. With persistence, I finally got their Sales Department to acknowledge my cancellation request within 14 days for full refund, and they said they had forwarded my request to Billing Department for processing.

Several days later I received an email from the Billing Department confirming that they had refunded the first month premium to my credit card account. However, after 2 weeks when my credit card statement came, the charge was still there. I contacted them again and this time the Billing Department said there was an automatic error and they had rectified the error and re-processed my refund. Then a week later, my refund was still not reflected on my credit card account. I'm now forced to contact my bank to get help with the issue.

After reading other reviews, I realized I made a mistake of not vetting Cigna before I purchased their plan. My own research revealed Cigna systematically have been denying claims and treatments to well-deserved customers and patients. They only care about their profits rather than the people they're supposed to serve. When Cigna said they would cover Covid-19 testing, they did not honor their promise. Even Cigna former executive Wendell ** also came forward to say that Cigna has had shady business practices that put profits first before people. What good is a health insurance when you have to pay the high premiums but cannot use it when in need?

Original review: April 23, 2020

I have provided notice in writing to cancel my contract, not only was it not actioned it was met by unethical delay tactics to extract more premium payments from me. As per section 14.2 of my policy, my cover should be terminated in seven (7) days after given them notice in writing. I have given notice on the 14th of April 2020, this was acknowledged on the 15th of April 2020. Today the 23rd of April 2020 I received an e-mail asking if I'm sure that I want to terminate my cover. This is a delay tactic to extract more premium, and is contract breach. Stay away from Cigna, you don't want a medical aid that doesn't honour their contracts.

Original review: April 18, 2020

I have Cigna Through my employer. Cigna preauthorized my knee replacement. They even called me a couple days before my surgery and said if I had any questions or concerns they were there for me to let them know. Had my knee replaced. About a month into doing physical therapy I’m notified I was kicked off their insurance and it’s been back dated ONE DAY BEFORE MY SURGERY being kicked off! They blamed my employer. My employer blamed them! I’m forced into bankruptcy!!!!

Original review: April 16, 2020

I was advocating for my client's glucometer to get covered. My client is on Cigna. I provided an abundance of information regarding my client, but due to her homeless status, they refused to give me the information I needed to get my diabetic client's glucometer covered. This is discrimination. Everyone deserves healthcare - especially those who are living on the streets with pre-existing conditions; especially now in pandemic times.

But the worst part was the run-around: at no point was I told clearly what pieces of information I would need to provide in order to serve my client. The phone representative I talked to was rude, dodged all of my questions, and finally hung up on me. I feel bad for my client, but hope to get her insurance switched to a company that actually respects their patients and those who advocate for them. Stay away from these unaccountable and untransparent people for your own wellbeing.

Original review: March 26, 2020

Insured with Cigna via employer for 1 year. Worst ever.

- IT/claims portal doesn't work well. Couldn't digitally reimburse, had to been done via cheques.
    - Constantly looking for reason not to reimburse you. Saying things aren't attached which clearly are. Forgetting to respond. Emailing with email addresses that can't be replied to. Taking weeks to get back

- Very bad customer services if you call. Barely speak English.

Genuinely the worst insurer I've ever had. Wouldn't use again and advise everybody to go for any other company than Cigna.

Original review: March 21, 2020

Words cannot express how extremely disappointed I am in Cigna right now, as a global health insurance company. My employer has had our health insurance coverage benefits through them for about 4 years now, and I hadn’t had any problems with them up until very recently. Cigna had initially stated that they would gladly cover the testing costs for those of us who might be exhibiting possible symptoms of COVID-19/Corona Virus, no questions asked.

After experiencing immense difficulty breathing, as well as having a persistent cough and fever which wouldn’t go away for several days, I had finally attempted to take advantage of Cigna’s offer earlier in the week and seek out COVID 19 testing, only for them to basically go back on their promise, stating that I would not be covered for this particular test since it “does not meet the definition of medical necessity, as outlined in your specific plan.” (Luckily, it turns out that I didn’t actually have the virus, but now I’m stuck with a bunch of hefty medical bills from the hospital and laboratory, due to Cigna’s false promises of covering potentially affected persons…. A promise which they never delivered on.)

My employer’s HR department has also been going around and around with Cigna trying to get them to reverse their decision and cover the costs of my tests. However, they are getting nowhere fast with Cigna, who continues to use the legal jargon within the plan documents to their advantage. My HR representative even confided in me that when all of this is over with, they are probably going to strongly consider dropping Cigna as our health insurer, and honestly, I really cannot blame her at all for advocating for this decision. After all, would anyone out there including a family with children really want to entrust a health insurance company which stares a global pandemic in the face, only to do the morally and socially irresponsible thing by refusing to do their part in order to prevent contagion? (No, I didn’t think so..)

Truth be told, it just honestly seems to me like Cigna is basically trying to use legal technicalities and the ‘fine print’ to weasel their way out of covering a truly “medically necessary” test which they’d expressly and explicitly promised they would cover for the employees within our company, only a few days earlier. To Cigna, it would appear to me as though the almighty dollar essentially wins out every time, when compared to the health (and potential survival) of another human being’s life. To say that I am inordinately disappointed in all of the dishonesty, deception, and underhanded denial tactics which Cigna has used, simply to sell out their values for a stack of greenbacks, would certainly be an understatement!

Cigna author review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information