Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

3.4/5 (284 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Cigna Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Cigna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

My dental plan is OK. It is kind of expensive for me and my spouse. I wish that it was cheaper with lower deductible. There is a allow spending budget that you have to submit your own money in the beginning of the year but it works out well as long as you do not go over your spending allowance. Lawrence crowns is extremely expensive. Sometimes more than the procedure itself so it would really help if I can find a plan with loaded doctor bills with Monthly payments and no hassle.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

All Dentists are expensive, Cigna mostly is covered and associated with Aspen Dental. They are very expensive STORE that mostly pushes other procedures to pad the bill. A very low score on my part. I have been to them twice and they wanted to do 5000 in work, my wife just paid $5000 in work that took 1 year to complete. She is still having problems with the fit and finish of the partial. To get adjustments are 15 dollars a visit on top of the $ 5 grand already spent. Not happy at all.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Due to several chronic conditions, all well controlled, my MD recommends 2 wellness checkups per year. He considers this preventative medicine, but Cigna only covers 1 checkup annually. This is my only complaint, since close monitoring of existing conditions is proven to save costs for both insurance companies and consumers. As a state of TN retiree, I am very satisfied with the premium rate.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I was recently admitted the hospital with concern for my heart. The first doctor that arrived indicated a pacemaker was recommended. To say the least I wanted a second opinion. The second doctor arrived and found with a few adjustments and rest that the pacemaker was not necessary. Through the whole ordeal Cigna worked to ensure all the bills were paid and the remaining balance was manageable for a two day visit to the hospital.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

My Cigna coverage was awesome. I only had a small copay and all my Drs. took my insurance. The customer service representatives are very helpful. I was unsure of the dentist in my network so I called Cigna. The representative was courteous and informative. She sent the information to my email and that helped me determine which dentist I wanted to see. I would definitely recommend Cigna. All of my preventive tests were covered also.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I have top-of-the-line health insurance from Cigna that has no copay or referrals required and allows me to see a Massage Therapist for up to 50 visits a year. Before seeing the Massage Therapist, I verified with Cigna, and they confirmed the coverage. In 2019 and 2020, I sought treatment for the pain I was experiencing. I went to an in-network Massage Therapist and they also confirmed my coverage with Cigna. Cigna denied 27 visits from 10/2019 – 11/2020 through their affiliate American Specialty Health Group, Inc. (ASH Group) stating that my pain level was moderate and only rated between 5-7 (on a scale of 0-10) and that I should seek self-care.

I have been a customer of Cigna for over 8 years, and I have always paid my dues of over $2000/month. I have been pleading with Cigna to do the right thing and pay these legitimate claims for almost two years now. Unfortunately, they have not and I am now I’m facing a collection of $1,485. On top of that, I can’t seek treatment for my continuing physical pain and I have mental anguish and stress as a result of Cigna’s non-payment.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Hi, I have been customer with Cigna since 2019. Last year, I have reported claim for my son with special needs. The amount of claims were more than my normal claims. Cigna for one year has been ignoring me and not processing these claims. If you call the phone they tell me they would call back and never call back. If I email, I receive reply that my email will be answered in one business day and they never come back. It looks like they are doing all they can to not pay me my son's expenses.

I have already submitted a complaint to cigna complaint department. They too took longer than promised to handle my complaint and concluded that one of their employee made a mistake. Then, they assured me that now all my claims will be paid. and guess what 8 months passed no response. I have written to ombudsman to ask for help. I don't know what else I can do? Kind of desperate here

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Cigna Medicare Advantage provides up to 35 hours per week for "Home Health Aide" (see photo). The problem is Cigna does not have providers in most States to provide this service they sell to the elderly. I have spent about 20 hours on the phone, trying to get the service for an elderly family member. This included up to 2 hours hold time (see photo) and two emails addressed to the CEO.

Cigna's services to the elderly should be more sympathetic to population that needs the most help. To have a patient lay in her urine and feces when she has been paying Cigna to provide Home Health Aide which includes bathing, and using the toilet is not what the elderly deserve from a major US institution. As of today, the family of this elderly patient, who is total care, is struggling to pay for Home Health Aide care out of pocket. Her doctors have approved the coverage but Cigna has not signed up providers.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Cigna claims to be a healthcare company but they are simply an insurance company, your health is not a concern for them, just as long as you pay. We call them, find out what care providers are covered, then after the visit we get a huge bill and Cigna states it was "out of network". They won't send you this in writing, you are not allowed to record them on the phone, so at the end of the day you have a huge bill and their word against yours that it was supposed to be in network. This has been going on for the past 2 years years and despite all the requests Cigna refuses to acknowledge us. We are now over $14,000 owed because of this. We cannot afford an attorney, Cigna is the only choice for my company, so we are stuck. I can no longer go in for even a basic checkup (last time got a $1200 bill) so now if I am injured or sick I have to treat myself. I wonder how many other families they are destroying?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Worst ever! They won't authorize a CT scan I desperately need to see what's wrong with me. They have the imaging scheduler listed as the POC but because they denied the scan originally, I had to reschedule and she is no longer the POC. Meanwhile my dr isn't getting any info and CIGNA criticized ME for acting as go-between to see what's going on and expedite the scan! The reason they initially denied the scan was due to missing paperwork which has been sent to them since then! Half the people I talk to are non-English speakers making communication that much harder. And none of them care...I'm scared I have cancer and I break down crying every time I talk to them and they DO NOT CARE. My dr wants me to get the scan out of pocket which I may have to despite paying for insurance already.

Cigna author review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information