Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Cigna Health Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Every single time I have phoned in order to discuss a medical issue or receive cover for an MRI or consultant visit, Cigna staff have been amazing. They are incredibly helpful and friendly. Easy to talk to, knowledgeable and just willing to listen and spend time explaining things. I would never look at a different health provider. I think whoever employs these people has done a great job. Thank you so much!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

This is the second time I've had Cigna in the last 5 years and truth be told they are great. I have them for all Medical ( HMO POS ) Vision and Dental (PPO) and have not had any high out of pocket cost and they are pretty fast in paying claims. I had another well known insurance between my coverage and let's just say I still have bills from that other company. I am getting a in-patient procedure done soon and my out of pocket is manageable and I can get that copay covered through my hospital indemnity coverage so like I say it's a life saver. I'm doing 4 stars because the Dental coverage isn't as good as it was previously.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2019

So far they've been wonderful and most everything is paid for, just one MRI scan was not. I have not fully utilized the plan however, since my health is pretty good overall. The customer service is good, wellness visits have been free as well as bloodwork. I do wish I had more of a choice of doctors, clinics. I like the free gym club membership as I stay active. I use the Advantage plan.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I like Cigna. They have very good customer service, provide answers and such with a reasonable time frame, and are always ready to help me. I have had several insurance policies in my long past, and Cigna is one I would use again. I have not had trouble getting any service. They are there to help me with options. I feel they care!

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have been with Cigna for over 30 yrs. I am a single woman with medical problems that require dr visits, lab work & prescriptions as well as several surgeries. I could never afford the medical attention I need without an HMO. I have a dr I like & the facility is close to where I live so it's convenient for me. As I age my medical problems seem to increase & multiply so Medicare premium is a life saver for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I checked with Cigna about coverage and deductibles before have services done as well as getting a email link sent to me to directly file my claim in order to speed up the process. I had the work done sent claims in that I paid for out of my pocket and then checked with them to make sure they were Received. They said they were Received and would be processed within 10 business days. I look every day and no claims show on the website.

I have called multiple times and chatted and every day it changes. One day yes they're working on it. Next day no they don't have them. Spoke with supervisor and he said he was escalating it and it will be done in 5 days. 5 days are up and now different supervisor says, "Oh that supervisor didn't escalate it correctly. It will take another 5 days". This is money I paid out of pocket for covered services through an insurance company that I pay for coverage... This is not the first issue I have had with them either.... I just want what is owed to me.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Despite the fact that my employer provided Cigna dental with my current from day one, I had serious issues with the Cigna Dental Insurance because they continued to mail all my claims and medical documents to my former office. Even some of those claims took more five months to process with lots of ignorant mistakes and inconsistencies. I would recommend against subscribing to the Cigna dental, if you can get other options.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I had Cigna through my work. They told us, the entire county's worth of employees, that we would have to call them and get all labs approved before we went to a doctor. K. Guess I'll just die while I wait. When my position was cut they told me it'd be over $700 a month to keep my insurance. With eye and dental insurance, taken out of my unemployment it'd leave me a sweet $20 to live off of. I opted not to keep it.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Cigna has denied coverage of therapy for a 15 year old girl who has suffered for 2 years with sequential disability due to autonomic dysfunction. Dizziness, gait disorder, convergence insufficiency, vertigo, tachycardia, fatigue, and finally absence spells like siezures building over 2 years. This has resulted in an inability to remain in school and the prospect of an A student with a lack of education to fulfill a promising contribution to society and normal quality of life.

Cigna is known to not cover the $45,000 therapy for this disorder. Other insurance companies do cover this. After submitting peer reviewed articles and recommendations from her physician they still denied the three week therapy at the Mayo Clinic. It is all about the $$$, nothing to do with patient care or whether the therapy works. Greed is the root of the denial. This disorder is not rare in adolescents and the Cigna Medical Director who reviewed this case is not educated in this disorder and completely uninformed. I suspect that proof of efficacy of therapy was completely ignored due to the Medical Director's pay check source.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

The website is ALWAYS temporarily unavailable. So frustrating, it would be easy to use when you're busy and need a quick answer to see if the insurance is active. I wish they would do something to fix it. It is rarely available. Maybe once a month, and I check EVERYDAY.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information