Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

781 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2019

I am one of the beneficiaries of health insurance through my employer. My experience with Cigna is limited to 5 years as before that I was with Vanbreda which was acquired by Cigna. My biggest trouble with Cigna is their in-efficient and messy platform that is punishing their customers for their inefficient system. I have had a cardio characterization and I sent them the doctor's report and the doctor's contact three days prior to that emergency case and they confirmed that I am fully entitled to full refund. That was on 24th and 25th of Feb. 2019, They haven't stated any specific requirement to this case for the refund.

On 4th of March I have submitted detailed invoice of the hospital and a separate invoice by the doctor for his fees. One week after submitting the invoice, they asked for the doctor invoice to be resent as it was illegible. Off course you could see that the amount of claim is shown on the status of the claim with its amount. Funny enough they claimed it was illegible but they were able to detect the amount which can only got by reading the invoice that was illegible according to Cigna.

By mistake I sent the invoice by a new claim number though I mentioned it is related to earlier claim. They used the new invoice to give more details on the service. I picked up the phone and talked to one of their customer service agents whom I explained it is not a new service and she asked me to send the surgery report along with something new now which is proof of payment. Now on 4th of April I sent an email and she asked me to put on the subject her initials RML so that it will be known that she is the one to direct the documents to the claim agents.

One week after on 11th of April I received no response. I sent a reminder through email and they asked for the same documents I have sent on the 4th of April. Talking over the phone with another customer service agent, I discovered that we cannot find all the attachments I have sent on 24th of Feb or 4th of April. Oops, I forgot to say that they have changed their secured email platform on 6th of April and now you figure out created by that. Finally she gave me a specific email address with all the attachments again which I did on 11th of April. On 12th of April I received a warning email to me that my claim is suspended and they will not communicate with me till they receive the required documents!!!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 4, 2019

Hi, My sincere suggestion to each and every one is never ever go to Cigna TTK FRAUD insurance company. They will simply take your money and waste your time like anything. Finally they will not provide insurance coverage as well as your money... I have had a worst experience with this stupid irresponsible company and its employees. You can call me ** if you need to know more about the things this FRAUD company has done to me. I have enough proofs of this stupid Company's FRAUD promises.

Below is the thing happened with me: I was planning for a health insurance for my father-in-law and I got call from this stupid company 3 weeks back. On same day I have paid them amount. First time itself I have told that guy (I can mention name and phone numbers too, but dont want as of now) that I cannot take my in-law to either Bangalore or any other location as he is working employee and he clearly promised medical check up will be done in my hometown (It is also City) itself. Once amount is paid they completely stopped calling me and updating the status. I only called them many times and sent messages saying this is very URGENT for me but hardly I got response from them as they were not at all picking calls.

They I only adjusted and told convinced my in-law to go to the hospital ‌(in different city) for medical check up which Cigna TTK too. Somehow my in-law adjusted and he went to the hospital and completed all check ups (the doctor who has done medical check up also told there is no issue with it). But till then I did not get any call/update from this FRAUD company. Finally just got one mail saying some stupid reason and it mentioned proposal got rejected and my money will be returned back after 7 days. When I called to the Cigna TTK person who approached me 1st time he is not at all aware of this and he said he will check. But after that also never got a call from him. I tried to call them many times asking either to provide medical insurance or to return my money immediately so that I can go for some other insurance companies but that did not happen till now.

I ALREADY POSTED THIS IN MANY SOCIAL MEDIA and I got two calls and mails from Cigna TTK higher level managers and for them also I told all these stories and requested them to do any one of the below things and told them it is very urgent as well but till now nothing had happened.
1. Either to provide medical insurance or
2. To return my money immediately

I Can say this is 100% FRAUD company with all false promises getting money from people and after that simply wasting their time. NEVER EVER GO FOR IT PLZ.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Let me tell you a little story about CIGNA insurance: They cover hardly anything asthma related and blame it on manufacturers. They have very kind customer service representatives, who can't do anything, but will help you find coupons or a company that can give you a reduced cost based on income. You are charged 400+ a month for the privilege of a card which barely helps with healthcare needs. Where does this money go? Nowhere, you never see it again. It doesn't lower your cost, you still have a large deductible to meet no matter what anyway.

Nope from the time the year starts until it's met, our cost of care has been so high that every year we have to use taxes to lower the bills we couldn't pay. Oh and I have had to drop several scripts which were helping me, cold, because I still can't afford them. "What exotic meds are these?" You may ask. My preventative asthma medication, would be the answer... So to sum up #CIGNA is a poor insurance company, the insurance in this country is crap, and hopefully I will live to an age that I see improvements. (Although without being able to breathe it will be tough for me to see 40)

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 1, 2019

I've called numerous times and get excuse after excuse why my HRA does not work! They take no responsibility for it. I've been with Cigna for 13 years and they used to be reputable... Wish the union would transfer to UHC! Rude and ridiculous customer service!

Original review: March 28, 2019

On 3/28/19 an email was sent out encouraging people to consider visiting Cigna's Telehealth connections (new product) instead of an ER due to the cost and time frames associated with waiting. Providing medical advice is illegal and will result in mistakes of people judging the severity of their condition. This is beyond despicable. Shame on you on trying to push a new product by subjecting people to misleading information that could cost them their life.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: March 27, 2019

I had been trying to figure out all that's taken out of my check weekly and monthly...one charge took me almost a year to figure out. At the top of my check it kept saying pretax 152.00. Now that was on my check every week. Well finally found out it was my monthly benefit...600 a month coming out of my check and I still have to pay a copay? I can get private insurance for 300 a month with no copay. During on renewal I opted out of the insurance and the woman got an attitude and said, "Why are you disenrolling." I told her I got a better offer. My weekly payroll checks have been just wonderful since the 1st of the year. ** CIGNA. California kicked them out of state years ago for this type of rip off. Now they're in St. Louis where these people don't ask, don't tell...I'm Cali girl and not having it.

Original review: March 24, 2019

So far Cigna has been no help, rude, and simply does not cover anything. They weasel their way out of everything. I do not understand why there is no law to shut them down. You can't call yourself a healthcare insurance, when you do not allow patients to get their medications, blood work, etc. Cigna is well known for clawbacks which will become illegal in the future. They have many class actions suits filed against them. They have been the worst health company I have worked with so far.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I was on a dental scheme and found this service very difficult and problematic. There are issues at every stage. Making a claim, getting feedback, getting reimbursed, customer service... I'm fed up with this, it's a cash loss and I will not renew my policy.

Original review: March 19, 2019

An MRI was requested by not one, but 2 Medical Doctors that are specialists in their field. Cigna partners with eviCore healthcare to review whether this procedure is "medically necessary". My translation; I get to remain uncomfortable and in pain while Cigna wastes time "second guessing" Medical Specialist Doctors by an entity who has never examined or evaluated my condition. This is what I pay sky high premiums, deductibles and copays for? Thank you Cigna, I hope and pray that you get exactly what you deserve. May this serve as a warning if you are considering Cigna for your Health Care Insurance Provider. Unfortunately I had no choice. I hope that you are able to choose.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I had routine physical care last year with a new facility and made sure first with Cigna that it was indeed In-Network. I was seeking a run-of-the-mill annual physical exam with a new In-Network Doctor that was closer to my home. All were Preventative, not Diagnostic visits. Nothing was wrong with me, and nothing was discussed as being wrong with me. I also went to my same place for my routine breast exam and Mammogram - also In-Network, billed and coded the same way as it has always been - as Preventative. Again, Cigna would not accept their code as written to be 'preventative' this year. Nothing was wrong with me, I did not suspect anything to be 'wrong', nothing was discussed as possibly being wrong with me. Routine only. Preventative. Cigna claims that every billing code they received for my routine In-Network Preventative care in 2018 was, (in their mind!) Diagnostic, so they socked me with over $1800 in charges.

It took me six months of letter writing, emailing and calling all medical billing offices (and copying all providers and Cigna) to finally get Cigna to re-evaluate the codes that had been submitted for my routine preventative care. Finally after six months, Cigna finally paid for the scripted routine Bone Density exam In-Network as 'preventative' (at 60, I had never had one before). Cigna finally verified that they paid this charge over the phone to me in December 2018, but four months later 2019 Cigna had still not entered their payment as 'paid' on my cigna.com Claims page! There are nice people in customer service for Cigna. They are patient and polite on the phone. Cigna, is, however, a horrible company and insurance provider - a Racket 'gotcha' industry. Horrible. Do not go near them unless you absolutely have no choice.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Cigna is horrible. Last year a $179 office visit was adjusted down $49.95 by a comparable policy with UHC; Cigna adjusted the same office visit down only $1.06! Customer service rep was rude and snarky, I said "it seems like Cigna didn't negotiate a very good rate for their customers. I'm paying a huge monthly premium and getting virtually no benefit", he said, "Well that's your opinion." Well, yes, it is my opinion. Cigna negotiated less than a 1 percent downward adjustment; if I had no insurance, I could pay cash with my doctor at a 35 percent discount! Very, very frustrating. Horrible insurance and snarky, immature and unprofessional customer service; I guess I have to bide my time this year, but next renewal I will never purchase Cigna again.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Updated on 03/15/2019: Cigna Health Insurance responded that they were wanting to help and wanted me to call back to customer service. The customer service agent was very sympathetic and consoling as she explained that there was nothing she could do. She seemed like a nice lady so I advised her to leave Cigna because she was participating in a scam on veterans and senior citizens and she said she was considering it.

Original review: This company has targeted veterans and elderly folks for scam insurance. While they advertise they pay “100% Diagnostic and preventive care to out of network providers” they actually pay the provider about 25-33% of their charges and the provider is free to bill the patient for the rest!!! Steer clear of these scammers!!!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I currently have Cigna. I called in to speak with someone. Was transferred 4 times and each time had to repeat a ton of details. In the end, I was transferred to Oliver. He was the absolute most rude person. He threatened to hang up on me and told me he would not escalate the call. He then proceeded to ask meaningless questions obviously with the direct intent to get me to disconnect. I am shocked at the poor customer service and will look for a different carrier. An hour and 15 minutes I cannot get back of my life. Cigna please train your staff better. It really does matter...customer service.

Original review: March 11, 2019

They take your money every month and will not pay for anything. Their customer service are rude and do not help you. I rate their insurance as a -100 if I could. I suggest you do not purchase their insurance.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Horrible customer service and insurance. Beware. They charge a lot monthly and don't cover anything. And the customer service representatives are rude and don't help you at all. Dina and David in the billing dept was rude and shouldn't even be dealing with the public. We pay our monthly payments we should receive excellent healthcare and customer service.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Do not deal with this company. I was enrolled somehow automatically, never used the plan and didn't want it. When I called to disenroll, they told me to call Medicare. Medicare told me the proper process was to call Cigna. I called them back and explained what Medicare said. The Cigna Rep told me it had to be done on their form which would be mailed to me and could only be done by mail. By the time I got their form, it was more than a week later. I filled it out and mailed it the next day. After they disenrolled me, I got a bill from them for the month when I was trying hard to disenroll and got the runaround from Cigna. They are unscrupulous, dishonest, unethical and thrive on the income from billing senior citizens on fixed income. Stay away from them.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Cigna authorized a surgery and cancelled it in the last minute when everything was booked. There was no proper reason, apology or any compensation. It caused severe financial loss and tremendous physical and mental pain. If there was minus score, I would have given Cigna a rating of -10.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I submitted a claim to CIGNA for reimbursement of prescription glasses in Sept. 2018; I completed the paperwork accurately & correctly. CIGNA made an error and send the money to the Provider instead of myself which was indicated on the form. I was told by CIGNA that they would have to get the money back from the provider before sending it to me. After months of me calling & discussing this with several CIGNA reps, the Provider finally sent the money back to Cigna. Cigna representatives have all confirmed that it was CIGNA's error, but the money has been received back from the Provider and CIGNA is holding it. I was told many times the check will now be issued to me.

After many, many calls, and many hours on the phone, it is now end of February and no one at Cigna will send me the check. I have asked to speak with a manager, but was told that the check is being issued by another department in the organization and customer service has no control over the release of that check. What kind of customer service is this? I am at a dead end. This is a $150 claim, and has not been worth the stress and effort on my part. I would not recommend CIGNA health insurance to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Routine dental exams shouldn't take over 90 days to process, which is in direct violation of Prompt Payment of Claims Act. Cigna has the nerve to send a letter after 30 days apologizing for the delay and stating that there will be a "one-time extension of up to an additional 15 days." Didn't see a follow up letter explaining why after 90 days the routine claim has still not been paid - same provider as in May 2018 (how do you suddenly become out of network during the plan year) - and for the same amount (so not some outrageous fee issue). Bogus answers and a waste of time - all so Cigna can hold onto its money instead of paying legitimate claims.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I am European Voluntary Service Polish volunteer in France. European Commission provides Cigna insurance for EVS volunteers. Some weeks ago I was sick and had to visit doctor. As EVS volunteer I have 200 euro of food allowance per month and 150 euro of pocket money per month. I paid 40 euro for visit and medicines from my own pocket. Now, after 3 weeks I got the message from Cigna Insurance, that I won't get reimbursement for visit to the doctor and medicines I bought, because I have European Health Insurance Card. It is very strange for me and I think that I really can't feel safety about my health anymore during EVS project. I have no idea how works financial relation between European Commission and Cigna, but if that above is truth, it makes no sense. Don't trust this insurance company, if you are EVS volunteer.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Unless you are having a routine exam and cleaning, you must be careful. After calls, faxes, mailing pre-codes for treatments, and discussing with a supervisor over the phone that the services would be partially covered as stated in the plan, it seems not to be the case. After 4 months, much back and forth, different information and procedures are being stated. A basic fix of a cracked tooth and inlay is mostly covered. The claim came back covered very little. When questioned it was explained the employer doesn't want to cover white fillings only metal, even if you are allergic to metal. However, that was not in the handbook or discussed with the representative during the initial conversation and now they will not cover it and I am appealing again. it feels somewhat like Fraud to state something and then not follow through.

Representatives over the phone all give different answers which shows they are not professionally trained, however its the customer that ends up jilted in the end financially because they don't live up to the fact you are given wrong information upfront which puts you in that situation to begin with. If it is only a one time issue, one could accept it, but when many claims continue to be handled the same way with no outcome for minimum of 6 months, due to the fact they tell you they have to research in the hope you will forget about it or give up. Shocking!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I was forced to use this insurance company through my employer and it was the only one I could afford. BEWARE OF THEIR INCOMPETENCE. You should ALWAYS ask to speak to a supervisor -- IMMEDIATELY! They ask you for your number, BUT WILL NEVER CALL YOU BACK! They say that they record their phone calls, but for some reason the service never improves. I spent two hours out of my work day dealing with them over issues that should only take 5 minutes to resolve at tops.

I had to start keeping a notebook to record all the conversations I had with them because there was such a lack of accountability. And I ended up having the same conversation with 8 different people. I am still worried that my experience with them is going to cause me a heart attack or stroke because EVERY TIME I CALL THEM I END UP SCREAMING at their ILLEGAL level of incompetence. From a colonoscopy to a Flu shot, It took me weeks and months and countless wasted hours screaming at them over the phone on my way to work, during work and after work.

When you talk to them 1. Make sure they pull up YOUR CORRECT PLAN. 2. Identify WHAT DOCTORS ARE IN NETWORK for you and re-confirm. 3. tell them the procedure you need and ask them to tell you how much it will cost. Keep records of your calls from day 1 because you WILL BE COMPLAINING AND YOU WILL NOT GET THE SERVICE YOU NEED, COUNT ON IT. So it's best to be prepared as best as possible.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I decided in 2019 to try Cigna-HealthSpring RX (PDP). Was with another provider in the past but after calling the Medicare senior linkage it looked like this may be a good option, especially since our cost plans went away in MN. Well all I can say is BEWARE! I tried to refill my first drug a generic and this first drug would cost over $400 out of pocket for me because this provider happens to keep it a Tier 4. This is a drug that you can get for $19 with a good app on your phone and no coverage at all, no kidding! Even the preferred pharmacist shook his head and laughed because it was so outrageous.

Obviously I went elsewhere and did not use their preferred network and got it for 1/20th the price. In the past I paid zero, really!!! Second drug another generic from almost all other and the wonderful app with no drug coverage would be around $30 but with my wonderful pay for RX plan it would cost $261. When you call the Cigna customer service, I actually feel sorry for the person that answers because they have to try to explain or should I say justify why all the hassle and exorbitant prices. Then they ask you to jump through all kinds of red tape to get an exception to a normally generic drug that you can get elsewhere without any coverage, just a good phone app for a fraction of their cost. I only have two medicines, a widely used cholesterol lowering drug and another widely used for arthritis and good luck filling with Cigna. Hope they actually read this there are so many negative reviews on here, it's a little unnerving.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased a Cigna marketplace plan for 2019. I had one in 2018. My exact plan wasn't available so I had to purchase a new but still Cigna plan. I used the resources available at the time to verify my doctors would be in network because it's an EPO plan. I just went to see my Neurologist who is an in network Cigna doctor. Well apparently the new 2019 marketplace Cigna connect plan no longer has him in network which is odd because he is in network as a BJC doctor which is approved as in network for Cigna as of 2019.

After calling customer service I find out that Cigna connect EPO no longer covers him as it is a "different". This is fraud. You had me believe at the time of purchasing the plan that this was part of the CIGNA network. I verified this PRIOR to purchasing the plan. I'm now unemployed, injured and likely to be homeless within the next few months as I need surgery. There is a special place in hell for people that practice business like this.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I was beyond shocked to learn that Cigna does NOT cover preventive care! I was shocked to receive a bill for my annual well woman exam, and to add insult to injury OB/ GYN is considered a specialty. I double checked with my Children's doctor before scheduling their well children exams and yup! Well Children exams are not covered! What a horrible practice! If you are considering Cigna... DON'T!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have Cigna high option plan. My deductible is $2000. My wife needs ACL and meniscus surgery. I have been paying most of everything even though I already payed way over my deductible. I feel like the Cigna insurance I have isn't much help if any. I wouldn't recommend this company.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

That's their answer. Need it? No. Doctor says you need it? No. You call and reiterate after 3 denials? No. They will not provide you with health services. Worst plan I've had and I had Anthem HSA last year. This insurance scam is growing.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have a Medicare HMO SNP which is a special needs plan for disabled individuals. EVERY YEAR, I go in for an eye exam and when I don't get glasses, I get contact lenses. Every single time I'm seen for contacts, Cigna tries to charge me an associated "fitting fee" which I'm not responsible for. In the Evidence of Coverage for my insurance it states, and I quote "Note: Contact lens fitting fee is covered by the plan". On the previous page it states, quote: "Our plan covers: The contact lens fitting fee for Medicare-covered contact lenses".

EVERY TIME I go in, I have to fight with the front desk personnel who tell me flatly "No insurance covers the fitting fee" after which they send me a bill (without even TRYING TO BILL my insurance.) Last time, the shrew at the front desk said, "I'm including a little note in here that says that you were informed of the fee, so they won't write it off." Write it off? IT'S COVERED! So I contact my plan. My plan tells me, "Yes, we cover the fitting fee, just tell them to bill us." Then I contact Cigna. "We're not going to bill them, because you're responsible." I don't understand why Cigna is so insistent on making me pay out of pocket! It's the most bizarre, stubborn thing I've ever experienced. Is there a cost per page for insurance billing? Do the front desk people get a cut of the money paid out-of-pocket?

I just had to fax Cigna's claims department the two pages from my EoC that state that the fee is covered, which was a real hassle. I get the feeling even after they get it in black and white, they'll still tell me I owe this friggin' fee. I just don't understand why they are so obstinate and why they refuse to listen to me. I'm disabled and on a very limited fixed income and the fee would seriously cut into my grocery budget. These people are such a pain in my **.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Even a company of this size, jumps through all hoops to avoid paying even small claims. Top of the line insurance, platinum, sold by commission salespeople, who tell you anything to sell insurance, but know nothing. With an annual premium of 12,000$ and a claim totaling less than 500$ for the year. And of course, after lots of paperwork, just to get the approval, 9 month later they decline to pay. I am now self insured, and happily pay my own way, without having to ask anybody, no paperwork and immediate results. As it turns out CIGNA is no better than small unknown insurance companies. My advice to anyone, stay away, don't waste your time. They are always very polite, just like a snake oil salesman. ;-((

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have Cigna Insurance thru my workplace. It is a High Deductible family plan. So in the past 2 week my medical necessity and Pre-authorization for a Proton Pump Inhibitor was declined. This is after have an upper endoscopy and proof that I am on my way to severe Esophageal Erosion. Basically a precursor to getting Esophageal cancer. Reason? Your plan simply does not cover this not matter what the reason.

In addition my 5-year-old with a confirmed diagnosis of ADHD and speech disorder is now being denied coverage. This is after a $1000 evaluation was performed confirm the need (also not covered). I'd also like to know why I went to urgent care for 2 kids on a holiday weekend that I was charged $159.00 each, when if I had simply said I don't have any insurance my bill would have been $109 each. So in this case I was actually financially punished for using insurance. Truly considering just dumping my company insurance entirely, now that there is no long the Obamacare requirement. I have tried to do the right thing, I have tried to care my load. They have made it impossible to do so.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information