1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

726 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I work for Cognizant. My company has offered me Cigna and I took the high end insurance and I am paying 11000 annually for my family. This is a worst insurance, Never ever it. They do not cover anything. They expect you to pay everything. Everything is out of coverage. If you want to see a doctor you won't find that doctor in network. Their customer service is worst. Not helpful at all. I would recommend to never ever take this insurance. I had Aetna earlier. I never had any issues with them.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I was scheduled for surgery one month prior to the surgery date. The day before my surgery Cigna had not approved my surgery stating that they have not received a medical request from my Doctor's office. I was told that if my Doctor change my status from inpatient stay from outpatient stay they will approve the surgery. My surgery was cancelled the day before my surgery. I was on the telephone with this insurance company all day which revealed no surgery. My Husband took off from work, I'm off from work in severe pain and my return to work will be delayed and my Husband will have to take off from work yet again. At what point does an insurance have an legal right and or the legal authority to dictate to the Doctor as to what treatments are needed.

I am not impressed with this insurance company at all. Cigna, didn't have a problem with accepting my premiums, but they have many excuses as to why they won't pay for coverage. I would rather switch my job than to have to continue with this insurance company. In fact I told Cigna insurance representative that I will be more than willing to consult with an Attroney and contact the local news and share my stories. Not to my surprise their ratings are 1 out of 105. The Worst Insurance Company That I have Had The Misfortune Of Dealing With.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

They misquoted me by $150 and then REFUSED to help me at all with their agents screwing me over!! These people are evil SOBS and their management in Idaho was absolutely horrid!! She was disrespectful and so rude to me when they wronged me! And I was polite through and through but she wouldn't give me MY information and HUNG UP on me!! 0 stars!! Liars and crooks!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Why are we paying some company hundreds of dollars a month for NO covered benefits whatsoever? We have to meet a $5000 deductible before anything is paid by Cigna. "Deductible" is just a term insurance MADE UP to cover their own costs and overhead for doing business, and it's the biggest rip-off scam in the history of the world. I'd say go to hell, Cigna, but you're already going there.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Cigna approved surgery for me and then the day I was supposed to have surgery, they denied it and then an hour before surgery approved it. Once I had the surgery, they denied it. They didn't pay the hospital. I wasn't given credit for the $250 deductible that I paid. Now I need more surgery and they are denying pre-certification for my MRI and CT Scan saying I have not been treated for this issue for more than 6 weeks. I have been sending in claims for this issue for over 2 years. I am scheduled for a CT scan today and my surgeon is trying to get it approved. Cigna used to be an excellent company but I have seen a major decline in their customer service and patient support over the past 3 years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Up above I had to put a star to post this but I'd rather had not unless they had a negative star rating. Very disappointed, frustrated and hanging on my last nerve with these constant denials they have absolutely no education about. These are RIP-OFF health insurance CROOKS that deny services for their premium paying customers. Prescriptions from REAL EDUCATED doctors legally written and with monthly monitored visits for their patients with serious medical reasons are being denied and they are making patients physically and mentally sick and stressed out waiting for their "5 day authorization waiting period." WHAT! They take your premiums, no problem, You go to the Dr., you pay your co-pay, take the prescriptions to the pharmacy, they fill the Dr.s order for you, you pay your co-pay, you get home, medications are missing and replaced with pink slips saying needs pre authorization from insurance!

You are out of medication that are on a 5 day authorization waiting period by Cigna even knowing you are out of medication and in the end deny it anyway! Maybe I need to make them wait a 5 day authorization period when my premium is due...? I'm sure they wouldnt like it and would cancel our insurance. How in AMERICA can this be legal? We pay pay pay more and more and they pay less and less! And Cigna's so called customer service people who I'm guessing THINK they are physicians, being they override REAL DR.S orders and havent seen or known the patient medically or ever for that matter are literally putting peoples lives at risk! If our Dr. has been long time prescribing these medications there is a medical reason for it.

We have the same Dr. and same prescriptions for years by the way, and the pharmacy is also smart enough to know the medications work together and you need one with the other and has no issues with dispensing them to us either for years. Who do these PENCIL PUSHING MORONIC IDIOTS behind these desks there at this completely incompetent and money hungry machine that like to use their big rubber DENIED stamp think they are? They must feel so important and content with themselves denying long time taken medications for serious ongoing medical conditions and making people severely ill by denying these medications that need to be taken together at a certain time a few times a day. They constantly deny one or the other or have to authorize medications for patients they have no clue about for one or the other that takes up to five days. 5 days being out of medications can kill patients!

They cant get it that they need to be taken together and need to be picked up monthly together so that they can be taken as prescribed by a real certified medical professional thats seen monthly. They could, and probably have and will continue to do so, have put patients that they dont know anything about and have never seen medically, put in an ambulance taken to the emergency room, then most likely deny that claim...

Or worse, put them in the morgue and into the ground, just to make themselves happy go lucky, important feeling, big rubber using denying stamps for medications that a patients long time medical doctor who is smart enough to be a doctor, not pencil pushing losers who accept incentives for a certain amount of denials each business quarter and like to repeatedly put you on hold longer than working on your issue after waiting at least a half hour before they can even answer the phone to begin with, or your no less than one hour but more likely two hour very frustrating phone call to this crappy, OVER-PRICED, underpaying out, shady, racket of a so-called health insurance company! They are the WORST horrible thing to deal with!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Ridiculous requirements, last minute cancellations. AVOID CIGNA! - I get to the point where pre-op testing is complete, surgery is scheduled, and all is just days away. Suddenly I am informed that I need to be evaluated by a cognitive behavioral therapist, 3 visits, in fact, so that we can discuss disease education, activity and lifestyle changes, and stress management. (Fear, anxiety and sadness interfere with pain management, you know.) On a separate email it was stated as this:

From the clinical information received, medical necessity has not been established because: - the documentation received does not confirm that a PCP, neurologist, physiatrist, psychiatrist or psychologist, or other licensed behavioral and/or medical health care provider attests that you do not have an untreated, underlying mental health conditions/issues as a major contributor to chronic back pain-the documentation does not confirm that you have completed a course of cognitive behavioral therapy as outlined.

I did, however provide a letter from my general practitioner, who knows me way better than any of the above mentioned strangers, stating that I am mentally stable and do not have any underlying conditions. The hospital staff where my surgery is supposed to be done, as well as any other medical professionals I relate this to, are dumbfounded as to why this is being done. Except in the case of gastric bypass, this is unheard of. It is the end of the year and the thought of them stopping this so I have to reach a new deductible has also been questioned by many. As if leaving me in pain, without surgery due to a disease process isn't enough, Cigna made it impossible to fill a prescription for my son to have pain medicine following the removal of his wisdom teeth. They make you wait 48 hours to fill a narcotic prescription, which was well after he didn't need the medication any longer.

Cigna needs to get their act together. I would not have wasted my time, arranged time off from work, had my spouse arrange time off from work, had physical therapy, x-rays, an MRI and several pre-op visits only to have them issue one more impossible deadline just days away from surgery. If you happen to have Cigna thrust upon you, anytime you need to have a procedure, call them and ask for a list of requirements, then check back to make sure they haven't changed or been added on to.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I had dental pain and visited a local doctor (Irving, TX). He gave me a treatment plan including several RCT totaling around $9000. Besides that, he caused an irreversible damage to one of my teeth. My wife is also a dental surgeon (Licensed in India) and she decided not to go further with that dentist. I visited India in July August this year and get the whole treatment well below $1000. Knowing that I have a PPO plan where I am eligible to get treatment outside network I submitted my claim with CIGNA.

After few weeks, I checked and found the claim status pending for more information. $1 was assigned for each line items. So I called CIGNA on 10/19/2018 and Bobby informed me that they were waiting for some dates related to crowns. He took the information about the treatment dates and informed me that it will take 15 business days to re-process.

Again, after few weeks, I found the claim with the same status. I called CIGNA again on 11/06/2018. This time Britney took the call and informed us that nothing was updated in the record and she took the same information again and this time told me that everything is fine and the claim will be processed in 15 business days. She gave me a reference number too (7039). Today I found the claim status as DENIED without specific reason. I called CIGNA and Branden received the call and informed that as the provider is in India this will not be covered by my plan.

I got the treatment in a fraction of the cost initially estimated by the local doctor and I have out of network coverage. Will you please let me know why my dental treatment in India will not be covered? The doctor I visited in India is far more experienced than any other doctor I visited in USA so far. Why his treatment will not be covered? If that is the policy I believe we should rectify it for TCS. Will you please share the policy document with me where it is written that treatment in India will not be covered? Feeling highly frustrated.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

For over 3 years as an insured employee, and Cigna was the obligatory medical insurance forced by our own company. From 2015 till now Cigna has proven all they care about is how to get their portion of my salary. As they failed for every single aspect as an insurance company. They refuse claims over the most ridiculous reason, and lastly I got crippled due to an old FAI case, they refused to pay for the disability and the dismemberment, I have been paying them more than 300 USD per month for fake medical insurance. They are not even recognized in my country, and all my claims had to be out of pocket even though they refuse to pay anything at all. DO NOT TRUST CIGNA MEDICAL INSURANCE, THEIR AIM IS YOUR MONEY AND NEVER CARE ABOUT YOUR WELL BEING, I did not dare to say satisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Cigna insurance claim process was fine until I gave my notice of termination. They proposed to extend till 08/12 (another month) just in case I would have to claim new expenses covered by my current policy which I accepted but as soon as this was agreed I got denied access to my online client portal. I promptly enquired with their billing and customer services (those two services obviously don't talk to each other...) and was replied as follows quoting "e ven. 23 Nov. 2018 à 09:02, Billing and Accounts an écrit: Thank you for your email. Although you are still covered until 08/12/18, when we process the cancellation it removes the online access to your member portal. I will forward your email to CS to discuss any claims further."

I obviously tried to get in touch with their CS but to no avail and despite having 2 more weeks to go before my insurance expiry it looks like they decided to go mute and do not honor their obligations and commitments. I thought it would be important to share this experience with you so that you make a fully informed decision before subscribing to their insurance services.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Undoubtedly the worst prescription drug insurance company I have encountered in my 73 years. They cannot fill a prescription through their mail order delivery or even confirm coverage at a local pharmacy without endless red tape and phone messages that an order is “on hold pending more information”. And this is for refills of existing prescriptions as well as new ones! I have been trying to have a prescription filled for a month without success.

They call me every day or so with the same questions and then assure me everything is cleared up and the order is on its way. Then in a couple days, another Cigna person calls and asks the same questions and we’re back to square one again for the 10th time. Avoid this miserable company at all costs! When my plan is up for renewal next year, I’m switching back to Aetna. Their home delivery pharmacy is a TEN compared to Cigna’s ZERO.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

This Medicare prescription drug supplement insurance is the absolute worst insurance plan I have ever dealt with. I recently tried to refill my insulin and the price last time was $120 and since then nothing has changed except this time the price was $198, when I contacted Cigna I was assured it would be taken care of, and today I found out the price has now been raised to $340 with zero explanation from Cigna, and my deductible has paid for months. Avoid this company at all cost. This company should be investigated for criminal charges.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I walk into my local urgent care and I ask them how much a walk in would cost out of pocket. They tell me is $90+ whatever tests they need to do. A strep test is $25. They tell me it should be around $115, I tell them I have insurance thinking it will cover at least some of that. The doctor sees me for about 5 minutes. Checks my throat and gives me a prescription for antibiotics. The strep test comes back negative.

A week later I get a bill for $134.96. They charged my Cigna insurance company $402.02, There was an adjustment for 267.06 and the total came out to 134.96. I call both urgent care and Cigna insurance and they tell me it’s under contract and that they are sorry. So I pay for this insurance and when I go to see a doctor, I pay more than someone that doesn’t have insurance. That’s awesome! Thanks Cigna!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

This has been the worse health insurance I ever had. The broker mislead me to get the best policy and assured me that I would be covered in the event of an emergency. I got the insurance last December and only used it one time 9 months later for an emergency. I paid $455 per month for next to nothing. I am responsible for $3700 of a $5500 emergency visit. I’m 53 years old and have had independent health coverage most of my life. Humana, Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Aetna. I never had a bill this big in my lifetime due to lack of coverage. The amazing thing is I’m paying more for this insurance than I did any other. I am working with a broker from BShield who told me the same policy they offer for this coverage which I pay $455 per month would only cost me $265 with them and he wouldn’t recommend it cause it does not cover much.

The broker I purchased Freedom from made it sound like the best insurance available and that I would be covered. I also just found out that you can’t use this insurance for your taxes and will be penalized by the government. The government won’t endorse Freedom Health Group/Cigna so this says a lot about their insurance. It’s a scam to get your money. Being uninsured would have been a better option than choosing this company because my bill from the hospital would have been considerably less. Reality is saving 455 per month in my bank account would have paid my emergency room bill but instead I paid it to Freedom. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau and seeking legal counsel. I kept all emails and texts from the broker who sold me this policy and they are certainly misleading. The employees of this company should be ashamed that they work for Freedom and are partaking in a scam to rip off people needing health care.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have been to the doctor three times this year. EVERY time I am told I have no coverage. I have to go home and call them and straighten it out. They sure have no problem taking my monthly premiums without a glitch but trying to use the card they issued me is NEVER accepted. I beg them to fix this to save me being embarrassed at the doctor's office but EVERY TIME the same thing, "Oh, you have no coverage." For this I do not like Cigna and would NEVER recommend them as an insurer.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Do not use Cigna. Went to 5 locations trying to find mammo location. As of now I have NO primary assigned and cannot get referrals. All existing referrals have been denied and we are left out in the cold - DO NOT SIGN UP FOR CIGNA IF YOU WANT HEALTH COVERAGE - NUTS.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

They hire a copy to precert their patients for everything- CT scans, MRIs, scooters; you can't even get crutches covered with an injured limb. They make it so impossible to get medical coverage that you end up paying out of pocket. The patient does not come first with Cigna - the dollar comes first! I don't even have an HMO and am paying biweekly a fortune for this insurance. We have had United and Aetna for years and never had this experience- we are going back to United first of the year.

I had an injured foot; double the size of my other foot. Went to urgent care- did x-rays. No break showed; however the MD stated, "If does not get better should go to an ortho. Maybe a hairline fracture does not show without an MRI and I have Osteoporosis... and on annual infusions for it." Went to specialist. Ordered an MRI. Wanted to go next day. Cigna said, "No needs precert." Called every day - on the 3rd day they denied it- not medically necessary- not able to walk on it per MD till we know what is causing the injury and swelling. Could not get crutches. Have to order from company and company not near me. Borrowed some... Could not get scooter. Needs precert. Well that won't happened so bought one online.

Doctor stated Cigna is not a good insurance many issues with them. They do not trust their physicians. She was going to have me go to a place for 500 dollars for an MRI out of pocket if she could not get approved through Cigna. It took her almost 3 weeks to get it approved post injury. I got the MRI and then she could treat it; it was tendonitis and bursitis and I was put on **. It is finally getting better and I can now walk on it with the boot. This insurance is harmful to the health and wellness of patients. I am an RN BSN and can and have made this statement. STAY AWAY FROM CIGNA HEALTHCARE.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Website lists doctors that haven't been active for years, in facilities that don't perform the basic function searched for. Customer Support suggests only dead-ends. Left hanging with serious medical needs and no options. Do not use. Worst experience ever.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

20 years ago had a cervical laminectomy. 11 years ago had c5 and c6 fused. Over 50 percent of fusions result in other neck surgery due to "wearing out". Severe pain, loss of sleep, numbness in left arm (c6-c7) tri-cep nearly useless now, constant pain. Dr. needs MRI, CIGNA says no, need a minimum of 6 weeks of "failed" PT or ** shots. I've been through this process, never have I been told to do PT on what is clearly a herniated disc. The longer it goes, the higher the odds of long term permanent nerve damage. Tried ** with no luck. Going to see a neurologist, hope he can get through to them. With clear narrowing of the spinal canal, bone spurs and stenosis, disc replacement surgery is the answer, but must have an MRI first. Very, very poor.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

For months my wife has played this sick game that Cigna seems to be very infamous for. Constant denial of a service, requests for additional information, wait 6 months and try physical therapy. It's a herniated disc geniuses, these do not repair themselves. Almost a year in the process we are 9hrs from surgery on my wife's spine. 830pm we received a call from her Dr. Evidently Cigna was to call by 8pm to confirm coverage. In true Cigna fashion, there was no phone call and of course they are closed. Surgery will now need to be rescheduled, and I get to talk with someone who will apologize profusely but never really accomplish anything. If Cigna is your only option, don't take it. Pocket the money, buy some sort of major medical policy and stay the hell away from this horrible company!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

For the past few months I have been calling Cigna representatives countless times, to no avail, in order to fix errors in my account. First they removed, without consent my wife from the policy, added my daughter without authorization etc... It took me two months to fix that one alone. Now they're charging me about $1,500 on top of what I really owe them!!! Every representative agree with me that there is a mistake... yet after hours on the phone with many "managers" nothing has changed. They actually took a huge sum from my account AFTER I removed automatic payments and after I had their promise that no money would be taken out until the case was resolved! This company is pathetic!! I don't believe that it's possibly a mistake after all this time and this run around. I think they want me to leave because I have a grandfathered plan and they don't like it! If anyone feels the same, speak up - we'll get to the bottom of this!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Cigna Health will go to great lengths to keep from paying authorized and/or covered claims. After a year of phone calls, faxes and other correspondence, Cigna Health Management approved a prior authorization request covering Botox injections (for every 3 months, for 1 year) as treatment for jaw-closing oromandibular dystonia. The request was submitted by an in-network dentist. DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) was clearly written on the prior authorization request next to the dentist's signature. Cigna has refused to cover the claim submitted as a dental claim (because there are no appropriate A.D.A. codes for the procedure or diagnosis). The Cigna customer service representative said to file the claim again, this time as a medical/pharmacy claim.

Cigna has refused to cover the claim submitted as a medical/pharmacy claim BECAUSE THE IN-NETWORK D.M.D. IS NOT AN IN-NETWORK MD. Cigna has given the claim to MultiPlan "to facilitate resolution". The proposed resolution agreement form requests the dentist accept $6.15 for a billed charge of $608.00 because the in-network D.M.D. provider is not an in-network M.D. After contacting a MultiPlan representative to discuss the proposed resolution, (which the dentist cannot/will not accept), the representative stated they do not handle the resolution of dental claims, only medical/pharmacy claims. The MultiPlan representative suggested contacting Cigna.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Cigna refused to cover my son's NICU bill even though it clearly states in their policy that newborns are covered under the mothers for the first 30 days. I spent months arguing with them and even my hospital could not believe that they were refusing coverage and talked to them. I ended up with the $80,000 bill that I am still paying off. Fast forward a year and I decide to get dental insurance with them because they are the cheapest and have good coverage. Anytime I call with an issue I have to sit on hold for hours and get transferred from person to person, with no one ever helping me. Cigna is the absolute WORST!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

This plan is awful. I hurt my shoulder. They denied the MRI. I lost both my parents to cardiac arrest and for 5 years in a row they have denied me stress test. If you're thinking of using Cigna. Don't do it.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Learned today from my oncologist that CIGNA employees receive incentive bonuses for denying a certain amount of services each quarter. My Drs have instructed me to get regular scans to monitor my health yet they continue to get denied by CIGNA contractors who know absolutely nothing about my health background. Do anything you can to avoid this insurance.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I followed the instructions. I needed to be covered on October 1st to have a prescription refilled. It is October 2nd and I have not received my insurance card, so I called. Didn't do me any good though. They can see in the system that I have coverage but they refuse to give me my membership #. I have to wait for the card to arrive in the mail. I'm out of meds but oh well. I chose them because they are the cheapest and that is my fault. I should eat less and wear the same clothes till I can't sew them together anymore so that I can afford to spend more on health insurance. Then I could get better coverage. When will America wake up and start to fight to be better - not just for the rich but for everyone.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I had a repair and buildup of a tooth in September of last year and my dentist office estimated that Cigna would pay about 717 dollars. Instead, Cigna gave them the runaround for 8 months before only paying half that much. Now I'm on the hook for the remaining amount after moving and not being in the financial state I was when I got the procedure done. Don't trust Cigna to pay what your dentist thinks they will pay. Don't trust them at all.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I joined a Cigna Network Savings plan in August 2018 and paid $179 plus a $20 non-returnable application fee. When I discovered my dentist is not listed, I wanted to switch to a dental insurance plan. I was then told that is not possible, as these are two "different departments". I then joined an insurance plan and paid the first monthly dues on September 10, effective October 1. I called "the other department" to cancel my savings plan and now, 17 days later, after spending an hour on the phone with Cigna, where they hung up on me twice, it is now clear that my insurance was cancelled and I was advised to join again. Thank you, but I will take my business anywhere else. Of course, not a word about any refunds yet.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Every claim is denied for different reasons. I had colonoscopy. It was denied because it was billed as diagnostic instead of preventative. I had a bone scan to see if my osteopenia had progressed. They paid for it 2 years ago. It was denied this time because my Drs. office is in a hospital and was billed thru the hospital. It has to be done in a Drs. office not hospital or outpatient. I had called Cigna and had procedures pre-authorized and told them where they would be done. I was not told they would not be covered. I have glaucoma and have to have eye exam every 6 mos. I normally pay only my co-pay until last year. Cigna would not pay for all of the exam, because they no longer pay for one exam I must have. Cigna keeps changing their coverage as they receive claims. It seems they are laughing at the consumers as they make changes that the insured would never know about, and the changes are not listed in provided Cigna material.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Called Cigna to cancel a dental policy. The call itself took 15 minutes as they had to ensure they had the correct mailing, and contact information for me. After going through that, they said the policy was cancelled. Two months later, I receive overdue notices that the policy is now delinquent. When I call back on the day I receive the letter, I say I previously cancelled the account, but continue to get billed, and now a delinquency notice. The operator once again refuses to do anything until she confirm my mailing, and contact information (going so far to ask if the number I am calling from is a work, home or mobile number).

The operator then reviews my notes and says I in-fact called to cancel, and said "it happens." No apology whatsoever for taking more of my time (and theirs). When I ask why this call will have a different outcome than the first, they respond by saying "because you are talking to me." What crap. If you want cheap service, and horrible customer services, Cigna is for you.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information