1.11/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Cigna Health Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

604 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have CIGNA Health Care as my primary health care, and on May 11th, 2016 I had a colonoscopy, which should have been paid in full under my coverage. On October 12th, 2017 I received a bill from the hospital who did my colonoscopy for $113.40, which was odd because it should have all been paid by CIGNA. Unbeknownst to me, CIGNA wrongly processed my claim as an "out of network" claim, so the claim was not paid in full. Not knowing that my insurance should have paid in full, my husband had paid the original bill from the hospital in the amount of $713.40 when it was due. After I did some digging and realized that we had paid $713.40, that was not our responsibility, I called CIGNA only to be told that it’s too late to file an appeal, so for being good people and paying our bills on time, we are now out over $700.00!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

You do all the work for them. I am very frustrated with the whole process of submitting every claim personally, I spend a lot of time as if I had nothing more serious to do than this! Also their information on the website about what they reimburse and what not is really not detailed and the surprise: no claim!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I suffer from an autoimmune condition resulting in physical changes that can be emotionally traumatic. From the age of 16, this disease was plaguing me and hijacking my quality of life. A medication was prescribed to me, and I was hopeful of the benefits. Previously, I was on Blue Cross Blue Shield and received this medication completely free of charge two days after calling BCBS. The medication worked wonders on me -- a 100% recovery from the disease I had suffered for almost a decade. I got a new job in May and was give Cigna through my work. This may have been the biggest mistake I had ever made. On August 3, I called to get a refill of my medication, 3 week before I ran out of my remaining supply. I figured I was being proactive ordering it so early. My usual pharmacy said Cigna prevented them from filling the prescription and that I had to go through Cigna Specialty Pharmacy.

Fine, I thought, this may just add a couple days to getting the medicine. I called Cigna to 2 weeks. Each time I called, they would say they could mark it as "urgent" to speed up the process, but this happened every single phone call I made -- meaning no one actually ever marked it as "urgent". I kept calling and, after 2 weeks of zero progress, they told me they wanted a prior authorization from my doctor. This was sent in (at this point I was down to just a few days left of medication), and over 2 weeks later they called to say they would not cover my prescription. In the most nonchalant tone possible, the representative said I could "simply" pay the cash price. I asked what it was, thinking it wasn't a huge amount. For a 90-day supply? $12,000. I said things to this representative I never knew I could say to someone.

Next, my doctor got me accepted into a patient assistance program through the manufacturer, but then the company called me to say we would need to file an appeal to Cigna's decision to not cover the medicine, and that appeal would have to be denied in order for my enrollment in their assistance program. So, we started the appeal process. On September 21, 2017, (a month and a half after initially trying to have my prescription filled and almost a month after I ran out of the medication), someone called to say the appeal was submitted. On September 28, 2017, someone called again to say "your appeal was just submitted", and I broke out in argument about how someone had said that a week ago -- what were they doing for a whole week to where they called to give me the same news? On September 28, I was told the decision would be made in 72 hours. On October 3 (yesterday), I hadn't heard back, so I called.

I was told it would actually take 30 days to fill the prescription. I contested that I had been told 72 hours last week, but the new representative told me it would 30 days and that I could get my doctor to call to expedite the process. Today (October 4), my doctor called to expedite the process, and I called Cigna to see how it was going. They told me their clinical staff can overwrite the option to expedite the appeal, so it will still take 72 hours. *But* there is still an option for my doctor to engage in a peer-to-peer conversation with a member of the clinical staff to get it expedited, which I will desperately try to set up tomorrow. For readers out there, I hope it was as frustrating to read this as it has been to experience it and type it. I've never given a negative review online, but this has truly been a disaster. Staff has been sassy, and I frankly think they ignore every request because it's not in the system the next time I call.

The insurance industry is corrupt, but at least through Blue Cross Blue Shield it was free and in my hands in two days. It was been over two months and Cigna has kept adding rules to this process that have made it a disaster. Here I am, two months later, my symptoms raging, and there's not much I can do. I'm at a point where I am applying to a different job just for the sake of having a different insurance company. Cigna, you are corrupt, not supportive, and inefficient. Hoping I can find a new job soon so I can forever separate myself from Cigna. Do NOT write a response to this about being sorry for my experience, Cigna.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have been with Cigna for as many years I been employed with the large medical company, till this day. I choose the high deductible because we do not use our insurance. The only times my medical, dental (cleaning) and vision (glasses) has been used is in accordance to annual checkup and mandatory physical. Hence, we are fit and physically active people. For the first time this year my daughter has been diagnosed with a disease. Her primary care physician and a specialist both prescribed her on a exact same medication that did not have generic brand yet on the market. Cigna refused and both doctors submitted request/appeal twice so that's 4x request and appeal.

Cigna stated that they have their own doctors and pharmacist that decides what a patients need. That is **! If that's the case then we need to see their doctor instead of the specialist and primary care physician. Why do we have the option to choose our own doctor and pay excess amount of money if Cigna decides what medication we can take? They also dictates to the doctor on what labs is necessary. Refused to pay for labs, refused to pay for medication and refused to pay for vaccination. This new law changes this year not only affects Medicare and Medicaid patients but commercial insurance as well. But we middle income people suffers the most. Without inquiring the participants of what is covered and no longer covered, without information given on how many days you have to file the claims even if it's required by the Federal School System that children must be immunized.

Cigna said 100% preventive coverage, yet only if claims is filed under 180 days. Would it be better to quit our jobs and become low income and depend on welfare? I'm assuming that this timing allows insurance company to find the loop hole and take advantage of the fine line. The fine line does not make sense, we have to pay more to afford medical insurance yet if we can't afford it you going to be fine if you don't pay the fine you may be jailed? What in the world has this country gone into. I hope our medical companies sees these crooks and put them out of business. Watch out folks, if you been given a choice stay away from Cigna.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

It is unbelievable what this company is getting away with. I was scheduled for an SI Joint fusion and Cigna denied my claim to cover it. After many appeals from myself and my surgeon for 4+ years I became completely bedridden. My situation deteriorated drastically and after a while of not getting the surgery I needed I was not able to walk, stand or even sit up. Eventually I had to get on Social security disability and within 2 months of being on Medicare I had my surgery. It is insane that I have spent the last few years of my life learning to walk and even drive a car again because my insurance company denied my claim saying it was not "medically necessary." Now the government had to pay for what my medical insurance refused to.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

My husband had 3 bulging disk where two of the vertebras were rubbing bone to bone to the point where the bone starting chipping off. My husband could barely walk to bathroom which was less than 10' without assistance in extreme pain. They denied his long term disability saying he has a manager job he needs to work. So they wanted him to drive all drugged up on pain pills, couldn't sit upright and barely walk. We had to appeal which we won but my husband had to wait another 2 months for surgery which fusions in his L3-5. Then they told him once he gets the surgery he will get his long term disability. Well he finally got surgery but guess what? They closed his account and has to appeal that now and now telling us it will be 45 days or more to receive an outcome.

But in The meantime we will lose our house, his vehicle and all our credit cards will be against our credit that we worked so hard for, barely getting by even with groceries. WORST insurance ever. They don't buckle up. NO doctors will use them. On top of that they are saying he probably won't get paid the days he should of worked. The least compassionate people ever. I had to call 3-5x a week for them stay on his case prior to surgery. A different story each time we called.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I am having difficulty trying to understand why I am paying thousand of dollars out of pocket for a minor Foot surgery. I'm talking thousands plus paying a copay everytime I go back for a follow up or a complication from the surgery. I do not like Cigna at all. They get my payment every 2 weeks because I have to have insurance but they pay nothing. I had Excellus before my company switched to this low grade company. Never ever paid this much out of pocket. I'm left with taking out a loan from my 401k to pay these bills. I do not like Cigna at all. If your company switched to them beware. It's horrible. And their customer service read from a script. They're clueless half the time. I pray for some kind of relief from this low grade company. They pay nothing. You're better off just doing it alone because it sure feels like I am.

I feel like crap. And feel like I'm being ripped off. And taking health assessments twice a year, that's crap too. And smokers that don't admit they're smokers are supposed to be paying more for their insurance. They lie and don't pay but we still have to pay what we have to pay when they should be paying more. Like I said previously I feel like I'm being ripped off. I should be reimbursed for all the money from the people that lie about their smoking habits. Why can't they test them to see if they have nicotine in their systems or lower my rates. I know that pisses a lot of people off because they lie but how is that fair that I pay more or about the same for people that should be paying a lot more.

How can you make up specific guidelines and rules for people that don't follow them. And the ones that do get screwed over. They offer no perks, no incentives and look at the tiniest little bitty stuff on these easements and tell you how to improve your health. I am a fitness instructor, teach 3 to 4 times a week and they say, "Be more active." LMAO. Really? They deny procedures. You have to beg or have your Dr have a peer to peer phone call explaining why I needed a CAT scan before brain surgery. O and good luck to try to get an MRI. Can't stand them.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I filed my claim on August 31 2017. They told me it was going to take about 3 days to process. Well on the 3 day I did not hear from them. So I decided to call them back. They told me they was waiting on the doctors to call back. Well if I did not give them a call they would left my case on hold. After I told my case worker my next doctor's appointment was on that following Friday but still no check. So I found another doctor that can take me before then but still no check. I sent in all the paperwork I had from every doctors' office but still no check and all they are saying is, "We are processing the information and it going to take more time." It's been about 3 weeks and I have not received any money but paid for this insurance every week to get get a runaround.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

My husband had Cigna insurance through his company, that was deducted from his check each week. While still insured through them, he had gone to the doctors, paid his copay, and everything was submitted and covered through the insurance company. However, a few months later his company switched insurance companies due to inadequate service. So Cigna decided to no longer cover his doctor's visit, that occurred under their plan while they collected the premiums to cover it. Now we have a large doctor's bill to pay. I'm pretty sure when you're getting paid to provide a service and decide to keep that payment and spitefully refuse the service, that is considered fraud. His company and him have been going rounds with these people for the last few months and we are getting nowhere. Stay far away from Cigna, they are nothing but crooks.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone yesterday trying to get the insurance company to talk to my child's doctor's office so that she could have an MRI done today. After 2 1/2 hours they still wouldn't approve the scan - so I now we have to wait 3 more days for them to speak to my child's doctor so that he can try to convince them she needs the scan. I have had the appointment for the MRI for 5 weeks now... and the day of the test I am told they didn't approve it. It is ridiculous that I have to be on the phone for 2 1/2 hours to try to get grown adults to talk to each other and do their jobs. We used to have United Healthcare through my husband’s job and they were fantastic. I have paid more out of pocket with Cigna over the last couple of years than I ever did with United Healthcare. I am going to file a complaint with my husband’s job - hoping they will change companies.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Where do I begin??? They lie, they tell you they have all your records or you don't need a certain one - then they send you a letter! BIG FAT LIARS. I still don't know why I fall asleep at the wheel, Cigna doesn't care. Cigna has decided that I did not need physical therapy after back surgery.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

In May of this year, I got diverticulitis. After two rounds of antibiotics, my doctor ordered a CT Scan to make sure they were treating me correctly. Cigna ordered a medical review which after a week, the CT scan was still not approved and I was in extreme pain. My doctor told me to go to the ER which I did on 7/3/17. I went to an "In-Network" hospital. Cigna Connect does not pay anything on an "Out of Network" facility or physician. I was given a CT Scan and admitted for acute diverticulitis. In the week they were taking to decide whether to approve my CT Scan, they endangered my life by second-guessing my physician. I was in the hospital for two days with two different antibiotics being given to me intravenously. When I was released, I was sent home with two different antibiotics to be taken for 10 days. Just as before, after a couple of weeks of taking the antibiotic my pain returned.

When the bills for the hospitalization came in, very few of the physicians or specialist I saw in the hospital were covered by Cigna Connect. Never before when I have been hospitalized did I have to worry about whether the hospital affiliated people were covered in an "In-Network" facility. So instead of my maximum out of pocket amount being $1,110, it is now more like $5,000. On September 1, I went to see a new gastro specialist. He ordered a colonoscopy and set it up for the 11th of September. I stressed to his office that they had to make sure it was approved before I would have it done. They said a week out should be more than enough. Today when I called, they told me that the hospital had to get it approved, not the doctor that was performing the procedure. I just told them to forget it. I told my family if I die from colon cancer, to sue Cigna big time.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

If I could give negative stars, that's all Cigna would receive. They are vile crooks and their insurance policy is a complete joke. I have been filing a claim for over 5 months and they finally resolved it this week. I was supposed to get 80% back after I covered the deductible, which I did. Instead of sending me a check for $320 like they were supposed to, they sent me a worthless check for $40. They "disallowed" the other charges even though they said they'd be covered after the deductible. I asked why they were disallowed and they couldn't tell me. How a company can allow the charges you paid and disallow every cent they are supposed to pay is beyond me. Then they charged me $1200 for an anesthesiologist that I've used multiple times and is in network. I'm so upset that my husband's work got switched to them.

I've had nothing but trouble with them and all of the other insurance companies I have used in the past are much more accommodating. I've spent more out of pocket with Cigna than any of my previous 4 insurance companies combined. They've denied my nausea meds for a serious stomach condition that makes me extremely sick. They wouldn't pay for compounded meds when I couldn't keep pills down. They denied a CT scan for pancreatitis. If you can avoid them, stay away from this insurance company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

In 30 years of employment, I have had health insurance with numerous companies. None of them - none - has ever come close to Cigna for sheer awfulness. I would prefer to deal with the cable company than Cigna. At least with the former, I'm pretty sure I will receive some service for the money I pay. When Cigna first denied coverage for the treatment of my child's very significant medical issues - treatment that was strongly recommended by multiple licensed health professionals - we chalked it up to bad luck in carriers but continued to submit what claims for that portion of his care we were told would be covered. Even this small portion, however, has been denied.

For the past two years, instead of our focus being solely on our child, we have lost countless hours wrestling with Cigna to simply provide the service we paid for. Claims are slow-walked and take months to process, irrelevant or previously provided information is repeatedly demanded and the explanation for non-payment and/or denial changes from day-to-day. We wait months for payment when it comes at all. After contacting Cigna "Customer Service" regarding a claim that had been pending for three months, we were assured that we shouldn't be concerned since "all claims are processed within 7-10 business days".

When we further pushed for payment for multiple long-pending claims, we were confirmed that our current and previous claims would be "audited". Today we received a letter telling us we had been overpaid (?!) for a claim and seeking repayment. This despite the fact that, in the past two years, we have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars (most borrowed) out of our own pocket on our child's care while Cigna has paid a few thousand dollars. It is unconscionable.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Cigna's answers to questions are vague. Plus I was triple charged for 3 months following the month after signup with quote. They still haven't resolved issue on record keeping and address.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I have been waiting for a claim to be reimbursed for since December 2016 and it is now August 2017. Though it is not a lot of money, the issue is that the medicine was not delivered on time due to no fault of my own. It was UPS that ** my delivery so I had to request my doctor to order my medicine from another pharmacy and pay out of pocket. This is really bad on Cigna's side as my premium is very high and yet I get this crappy service. I will giving this feedback to my HR group and will look forward to switching the healthcare to the insurance that cares about its customers and/or at least charges less premium. For the price paid to this insurance company, I am extremely dissatisfied by the service. I am giving this review so other companies can see this and NOT choose Cigna as its primary provider.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I went to my family doctor for severe pain in my back. He sent me to a spine surgeon. I have a tumor on my spine. The spine surgeon said they needed an MRI to see how deep it is and what's it surrounding. I had to get approval from Cigna for this. I missed my first appointment due to it not being approved. A week later another appointment was set and the hospital called me the day before and said it was denied. That I needed to do physical therapy. I asked the woman who was dealing with it how to do physical therapy on a tumor? She said I don't even know how they came up with this. It was coded correctly. She then told me to contact cigna and fight it.

This insurance has not coved one medication except for a few dollars and no doctor appointment and now I am stuck with a very painful tumor. I am not sure what to do next. They did tell me that if they happened to approve it my portion would be 700.00. How is this even legal? I have to pay for insurance but have no way of getting health care!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Since I started getting my prescriptions through Cigna, on my second refill my prescriptions went up by $22 more. So it cost over $223 to get my medication. Within 90 days the person talking on the other end said that's your out-of-pocket cost. Ask him why it cost went up? She says it's your responsibility to pay out of pocket. The previous company that I was with for my medical, I didn't pay as much it went up by more than doubled. I think that Cigna Health program prescription drug program is more concerned about their back pocket. This continues to rise each 90 days I will not afford to pay for my medication. Something needs to be done.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I don't understand how this company is used for an established institution. They are totally mismanaged. I am waiting 3 months + on a claim payment that was supposedly sent to a wrong address and then thrice called and spoke with them for 30 or more minutes. Reps say they will call back and never do. No one follows up. No claim payment, no check, no one can say where it is or why it's not been paid. Total waste of time and money. Now I owe a provider and have no $$$ to pay them. Thanks Cigna for making my life harder!!!

Original review: July 28, 2017

In November of 2016 my husband and I switched Medicare supplement providers from CIGNA to AARP after CIGNA had two consecutive, very large increases. In December after we were approved by AARP, we called CIGNA to cancel our existing policies. No confirmation of any kind was sent to either of us. Once our January bank statement came in we realized my EFT was discontinued, my husband's was not. We called CIGNA and were told that they would send us forms. If we provided proof of coverage, we could get a refund. It took over two weeks to get the forms, and by that time they drafted another EFT payment. Ultimately, they stopped taking payments in March, but refused to refund January and February. Their reasoning: They are only required by law to refund payments if you change to a Medicare Advantage program, because that replaces regular medicare.

We have been trying to resolve this issue for over five months and are getting nowhere fast. The bank expects you to work with the vendor first, and CIGNA drags things out forever. Our bank says the time lapse is too long and they cannot do anything. Don't buy CIGNA, you will be sorry. And if you have to change carriers, go to your bank and block all future EFTs to protect yourself!

Original review: July 28, 2017

I have had many occasions where emails went unanswered, despite many re-sends. These were to do with a potential operation that Cigna require pre advice of, to designate a preferred hospital. Premium increases were in the order of 15% per annum, high for the industry and I elected to change providers, finding another company with almost identical coverage and my choice of medical provider. Canceling my policy has resulted in a denial of a refund of premium. The 'accounts' section claim it is because of a claim during my coverage period.

I submitted a receipt for blood test work (that I had already paid for) recently and was advised I was not covered for this procedure. How that could possibly constitute a 'claim' is beyond me. I have asked they review the request and will post here any developments. My advice: look elsewhere for international health coverage. Cigna are difficult to deal with, uncommunicative and expensive by comparison with other providers that also rate more highly in customer satisfaction scores I have seen.

Original review: July 27, 2017

It’s been more than 4 weeks since I submitted the claim, and whenever I contact customer care team, I was advised to wait for 10 business days. Also they rejected the first claim even though it was within the policy date, after talking to a customer care agent they accepted that it's their fault and now re-processing that claim. Worst health insurance company.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Like so many other reviews, I was not given the information that the pharmacy part would be a $200/copy per year for brand name drugs. Never had that before. I have to have ** (no generic available). Usually $35 with Aetna, NOW $135 for the first dose until next year with Cigna. I am a retired school teacher forced to take the insurance offered by my school district bec Obama care is over $800 for me. The school just changed to this insurance at an out of pocket expense of $494/month. They are very inconsiderate when I call, telling me I should've known this already. I didn't and also didn't have a choice. I cannot afford the extra $ on my scrawny retirement pay check.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Cigna is a complete scam. They pick and choose claims on same day of service and stick you with all the bills. It's highly illegal what they are doing. Be warned if you go to an in-network hospital through the ER. They can claim DR's in in-network hospital are not in-network. I want to start class action.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I was completely misinformed when I chose Cigna Local Plus insurance company. My only instructions were to check that my doctors and medications would be covered. I did that. My doctors were covered, but none of the hospitals associated with those doctors were. I underwent surgery and now have about $6000 worth of bills that are out of network. The doctors office, as well as the hospital, all checked my insurance and assumed the procedure was covered, as it always is with other plans. However, no one knew they only cover certain facilities.

So there's that. On another issue I went to see a doctor that I chose that WAS associated with a hospital in network (30 minutes away), and he wanted me to get an x-ray, however the offsite facility they use is not covered. I have to find a place that is in network and get a disc of the x-ray and bring it to him before I can go any further. Not that it matters, I have no money left for any more doctor visits or physical therapy. Physical therapy was another issue, the locations may be in network, but none or only 1 of the PTs are in network. I'm paying over 700 per month for this gem of a policy, and from the reviews I at least know I am not alone.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I have been denied testing, and medication both from CIGNA. I am currently post-op on two tests that they denied me for and once I got the test approved, it showed that I needed surgical intervention. I am currently waiting medication that I need for pain, and they have rejected that as well. This is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life.

Original review: July 11, 2017

After paying full annual Deductible as well as all Co-Pays, got hit with a bill for Anesthesia in recent operation, since Anesthesiologist was deemed "out of network". I suppose it's my fault for not checking individually with every single medical tech, nurse, doctor or health care professional involved in any way in or out of the hospital, whether during pre-op, post-op, follow up therapy or during the operation as to whether they were "in network." Also note that by deeming the anesthesia out of network, the $2k uncovered bill doesn't count toward annual out-of-pocket maximum cap. Be warned--if you don't check network status with every single health care provider who provides any kind of service to you, Cigna will deny coverage. Seriously doubt any Hospital would agree to use an unknown "in network" anesthesiologist they've never heard of, regardless. Very clever Cigna!

Original review: July 6, 2017

On 1/26/17 I had a stress echocardiogram. I called Cigna and spoke to "Brenda" who said that this test would be covered. I also received a letter from Cigna stating that my cardiologist requested that they review and approve the service. The letter stated "after reviewing your medical information, we approved this request." Now I am being billed & 1,763.0l for the test. I called Cigna and was told that it was not covered due to the facility where it was conducted. Why was that never explained or even mentioned when I initially called to see if it was covered or in the response letter generated after the doctor inquired. I was told that I could appeal it and given an address to write to. I have never heard anything back regarding the appeal. Terrible customer service; terrible insurance company.

Original review: June 25, 2017

My employer switched from Aetna to Cigna in March 2017. Since then, this company has given me nothing but headaches, and I am relatively healthy. They treat me like a criminal. I take a medication for ADHD and for depression and I go to counseling for those two issues. That's it. I take ** and generic **. Every single month, when I fill my medications, Cigna denies it, I have to appeal, and I end up going weeks without my medications until they finally get around to approving it. For people who have taken psychotropic medications, you know what it's like to not be able to take your medications for a couple weeks out of every month. It messes with my brain chemistry and sends me into a tailspin of depression and ADHD symptoms until I can get my medications again.

My therapist is so frustrated with this ordeal because she is forced to help me stay functional while we fight for my medications every month. I have called Cigna in excess of thirty times in three months, begging for someone to give a darn that I can't get my medications. They don't care one bit. Everyone I talk to refuses to take my appeal, says it's not their job, or transfers me around to get rid of my call until I give up. It's absolutely horrific. I don't even have words to describe how horrible this company is. They have not a care in the world that I can't get my psychotropic medications for weeks out of every month and don't seem to understand that the constant on and off again of my medication is wreaking havoc with my brain chemistry.

This month, June 2017, I finally got my meds on June 14th. Five days into the meds, I was robbed at gunpoint, shot at, and had a very traumatic experience. My medications were in my purse that was stolen. I called Cigna to find out what to do, since the doctor they pay would not return my calls; her staff claimed medication refills are not urgent and no one seemed to care one bit that I was the victim of a violent crime. Cigna reported that "lost or stolen medications are not covered" and that I cannot get more meds until next month on July 14th. Combined with the stress of being robbed at gunpoint, I am again in a crisis situation, and can't even get more medication, despite the fact that I have a police report, photos of the damage when I was shot at, and my therapist and doctor confirming that I was robbed and shot at and that I am in crisis mode right now.

To be creative, when I finally got in to see my doctor six days later, my doctor finally tried changing my medications entirely so that I would have something to take before July 14th to help me stabilize my symptoms. But you guessed it, Cigna denied those as well. I literally can get no medications until July 14th and I am stuck in hell. Run far away from these people. They are heartless, cruel, and they don't give a crap about their client's health care. I have no idea how they get away with this, but they do. I am so tired of fighting with them, I cannot even fight anymore. RUN. Do not pay these people any of your money.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I am unfortunately a customer of Cigna HealthSpring. Customer ID **. I should have known from 2016, the same problems I had then would carry over to 2017, they DID. I signed up with Cigna HealthSpring mainly for their Ride to the Doctor service. Suffice to say 2016, I was forgotten, lost in paperwork, but mainly denied services agreed upon. DO note that 2017 has NOT been any different. Note also that Cigna does provide this service (stated in its Cigna's Customer's Handbook, Ride to Doctors service), but I have been denied this very service, being able to receive annuals, screenings, well being appts, lab services, dental appointments etc.

Cigna for me as a customer HAS been in NON-COMPLIANCE. Since, this has happened too many times this year. I have been borrowing money for 'transportation'. Enabled in getting to my appointments by cabs, my health my problems. Whatever, is being paid for this 'insurance' is a ONE-WAY service... to Cigna HealthSpring ONLY.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.
    • Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.
    • Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.
    • Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.
    • Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.
    • Best for: Students
    Profile picture of Joseph Burns
    Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information