Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

3.0/5 (259 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Cigna Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Cigna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

My dental plan is OK. It is kind of expensive for me and my spouse. I wish that it was cheaper with lower deductible. There is a allow spending budget that you have to submit your own money in the beginning of the year but it works out well as long as you do not go over your spending allowance. Lawrence crowns is extremely expensive. Sometimes more than the procedure itself so it would really help if I can find a plan with loaded doctor bills with Monthly payments and no hassle.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

While Cigna is a good plan they pay what I believe to be far too little of dental bills. Extractions used to be far less than fillings. Now they are the same, sometimes more. Fluoride treatments can cost $100. Granted dentists are charging more, but dental insurance seems to be paying for less.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

All Dentists are expensive, Cigna mostly is covered and associated with Aspen Dental. They are very expensive STORE that mostly pushes other procedures to pad the bill. A very low score on my part. I have been to them twice and they wanted to do 5000 in work, my wife just paid $5000 in work that took 1 year to complete. She is still having problems with the fit and finish of the partial. To get adjustments are 15 dollars a visit on top of the $ 5 grand already spent. Not happy at all.

Original review: March 3, 2021

They have been very good to me. Have been with them for many years but only needed routine cleanings twice a year. Excellent to work with. Paid claims timely. Now I will be needing more from them as I am going to need some cavities filled so I will see how well they handle this situation. For now I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: March 1, 2021

My experience has been seamless. My dentist provides me with an upfront cost for a procedure and my portion of the payment. There have been some cosmetic work that were not covered but I was aware of this. There have been no issues with re-coding or resubmission.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I was covered by Cigna in 2021 through the marketplace, which is an incredible platform. However, I had financial difficulties paying by the first of the month. Cigna repeatedly informed me that because I enrolled through the marketplace, I have 90 days to pay each monthly premium and I always did ... just after the first of the month. Then suddenly, I received a notification in the mail that Cigna cancelled my plan and they refunded me last month's premium payment. I was stunned. They said it was because I didn't make my last payment by the first of the month. This led me to believe that they don't comply with the 90 day rule they mentioned earlier. The emotional distress was devastating.

I decided I won't enroll with them in 2022 -- due to cost and previous poor experience, only to be surprised that I am still enrolled (automatically) apparently and now owe $900 for Jan and Feb 2022 with a late payment notice for 2022. Calling is challenging for me because of my disability but they didn't respond to any of my emails. Cigna: Please stop exploiting poor, disabled people and ruining our credit with your poor internal coordination practices.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

My wife and I spoke to a very charming contact person at Cigna who quoted us a very attractive prices for Medicare supplement policies which turned out to be totally wrong. In the used car business this is called "lowballing". Essentially we felt like the low price quote was simply to get us in the door where we found out that the price was actually much higher than the quote. When we were informed of the higher price on one policy we were told that they had done us favor which they very seldom do by re-quoting the higher price. On the other policy, they quoted a low price and then denied coverage completely. THEY TOTALLY WASTED OUR TIME. I suggest that this company be avoided. Thankfully we found another company to do business with.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

My current job provides Cigna PPO insurance. I've been shocked to receive huge bills for routine preventive care. I went in for a physical. My doctor ordered a blood test, I went in to do it, now I'm facing a bill of nearly 500$. I followed up with Cigna on this and received totally conflicting information about why. I had to file an appeal and got no response, meanwhile I have a collection agency after me and my credit could soon be destroyed. Similarly, I went in to get checked for skin cancer, now I am facing a bill as well. Every other insurance I have had has covered preventive care. Before accepting a job, check to see if they are using Cigna. If so, run far, far away!!! I will probably have to switch jobs to get better insurance. I shudder to think what kind of bills I would received if I actually became ill.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Terrible company. I receive long term disability from this company after an injury. They tell me my checks are issued on the 7th each month which leaves 3-5 business days for processing. This month they didn’t issue it until the 9th which is a day before the weekend which makes for an extended wait period unlike the respective 7th like they told me.

Their customer service is the worst. There is a woman that is usually answering calls she is usually not any help and very indifferent. She tells me even tho I was told the 7th every month it can be basically whenever they want to issue it and that’s that. Here it is the 13th and still no check. This is the same woman I gave my direct deposit info to and did not do her job to put it in the system in the past. As when I called about it at that time all she had to say is we didn’t receive it and that’s all she had for me. I eventually got in touch with manager there and she found info and put it in. Wouldn’t even recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

My daughter has a contract for 30 physio and they declined the approval after 6 only as she got the same spasm before. I tried to explain that she was in good condition while we are doing the contract and this spasm could happen by accident but with no use.

Cigna Health Insurance response

Hello, I apologize for the trouble you are having with your coverage. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@Cigna.com. I would like to help in any way that I can. Thanks-DN

Cigna author review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information