Cigna Health Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Cigna is nothing but trouble. From incompetent customer service, billing, to the Pharmacy which is a total rip-off. I have been billed a fortune for drug quantities I did not order, delays in processing, and the latest today. Cigna forgot to submit the insurance claim, did so belatedly, and was denied. Now they are trying to bill be thousands of dollars for drugs that should have been covered except for their mistake.

Call Ref# **. Spoke to Sarah. The customer service rep kept putting me on hold for several times during the call. Sometimes she wouldn't ask me if it was ok to place me on HOLD she would just put me on HOLD. She would take 15 or 10 at times when placed on hold. She always had to put me on hold for every question I asked. PLEASE SEND SARAH for EXTENSIVE TRAINING!!!

After filing a claim with no notification of receiving the claim for over a month, I had to call and be told that the claim was denied without explanation. The due date for my bill was coming up, so I asked if I could receive the letter sooner or be emailed it to see if I qualify for a second appeal or for my bill provider to be contacted, and I was told this was not an option. Now I have to contact the bill provider on my own and wonder when the explanation for the denial will arrive. Very disappointing service and very poor coverage.

In 2015 my back pain was getting worse by the day. My doctor (Kevin) prescribed an MRI. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis discus surgery. That was in November 2015. In between November 2015 and next appt March of 2016 my doctor sold his practice to study stem cell research. Moving forward Cigna nightmare begins. I had a company mandatory biometric screening that was covered by Cigna at 100%. I am billed by the lab company $8,000, plus every 2 months. Would you believe since March 2016 and December 2016 they wrote just last week they are "reviewing the claim." Passing over a ton of complaints I could write a book.

This is the worst one up to date. I have two surgeon specialists went peer to peer to reconsider the surgery because Cigna said it was medically unnecessary. OK so I scream for 45 minutes to get to work and the pain is so bad I had to call an ambulance. That got me in trouble with my manager of 15 years. Advice to you is keep tabs on every single claim and keep calling until someone will take you seriously. Good luck to you if you have Cigna.

I've been on disability since 2011. The company that I work for required me to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance and pays for a 3rd party company to file for SSDI. If you did not agree to apply then your LTD will be terminated. After receiving SSDI, I continued to pay for my medical coverage, as I provided the health insurance for my family (son and husband). Subsequently, I received a notice from Social Security to pay for Medicare for an additional premium of $211. I was already paying $300 for medical premiums to CIGNA. I declined to pay for Medicare, as I already had coverage thru CIGNA for my family. So, I declined or opted-out of Medicare at the age of 51.

In November 2016, I received a $33,000.00 bill from National Pain and Spine - Joshua ** - my pain management specialist. I contacted the office and was informed that CIGNA was requesting a return of all medical bills paid from Dec. 2014 to Dec. 2016! I paid my health premiums each month, paid my monthly copay at each visit and had received numerous EOB reflecting my bills were paid. At no time was I informed that Medicare was a mandatory requirement. To date, the HR Dept or CIGNA can provided any such requirement.

I have contacted CIGNA numerous times to no avail. On yesterday, I received a package from CIGNA with over 200 pages of billing. Further, I received another bill from another doctor where CIGNA has identified themselves as the secondary insurance provider. I contacted Medicare and was advised that Medicare A (which is free) is only for hospitalization. None of the claims are for any hospitalization. Further, I am now receiving bills from previous medical providers that CIGNA is requesting a 3-year refund. This is outrageous and fraudulent.

I am on disability and still maintain the medical coverage for my family. The type of insurance tactics extremely distressing. As a result, my health and medications are jeopardy. Trying to get assistance from CIGNA is impossible. No one returns calls and they try to use information overload as a technique to overwhelm you. I have read many of these reviews and it appears getting an attorney is the only way to resolve this issue which is unfortunate. I am not going to file fraudulent Medicare claims so that CIGNA can get out of paying what my premiums have already paid for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Consumer Increased Rating!

Through ConsumerAffair's intervention and the professional, competent efforts of the Cigna staff, my case has been swiftly resolved. I will be receiving my check in a few days. I would like to thank both ConsumerAffairs and Cigna for the great job they did.

Tom of Holbrook, NY on

Original Review

Cigna approved $473 toward the replacement of a tooth. My dentist received confirmation of the coverage. The procedure was on July 21, 2016. It is now December 26, 2016 and they still haven't paid. They claimed the prep and seat dates were not included in the claim even though we have documentary proof they were. The dates were resubmitted 4 more times, and each time I call because we haven't received payment, they claim they never received the info. We resubmit, wait with no response, call, and they again say they have not received the required info. This company must include Groucho, Chico, Harpo, and Zeppo among their board members. Others probably include Moe, Larry Curly, Abbott and Costello. It is amazing they have lasted as long as they have...

I have several problems with Cigna. First, as the Health Insurance company picked by spouse's employer, they indiscriminately mail ALL claims, including the specific details of the claims directly to my spouse instead of to me. All they need to do is put my first name instead of my spouse's on the envelope, but they do not UNLESS and ONLY unless I go through the process of restricting my medical information, which entails me having to set up a pin with them and then use it over the phone every time I communicate with them, even to simply request a provider directory. Come on, Cigna - ALL health information is protected under HIPAA laws, including spouses, unless a release is signed by the individual covered. And receiving medical coverage as a dependent under a spouse's employer group plan is not in any way a release of information.

Second, when I got insurance coverage through my own employer, and my spouse's employer notified Cigna that my coverage would no longer be necessary as of 12/01/2016, Cigna failed to take me off of their plan, claiming to my doctor's office that Cigna was still my primary insurer until 1/1/2017. And they tell me there is nothing I can do to take myself off their insurance because the employer needs to do it. Well, the employer supposedly did it, so... now I have to wait to have a doctor's appointment until Cigna figures out what happened. Good thing I don't have cancer Cigna.

Third, Cigna's annual family deductible is $6000.00! That means that we have to pay out of pocket for 100% of the contracted rate Cigna has with the doctor/provider until we have paid $6000. This is not coverage. An example of their contracted rate for an office visit with a specialty doctor (not an oncologist mind you, but a dermatologist) is $72.00.

Submitted a claim for orthodontic services weeks ago. Kept calling in to follow up on payment to the doctor. Kept being told by the cheerful Cigna people that they had no record of the claim and that it took 10 days from receipt for it to be processed. Kept telling them that it had been weeks and asking how could I follow up. Constantly instructed to look on "myCigna.com", which is of no use whatsoever.

Called daily until today, after much complaining from me, got the rep to admit that unless every box on the claim form is completed and checked perfectly, the claim is simply TOSSED IN THE SHREDDER. No notification to the member that your claim was rejected or denied because they act like it was never even received. All of this time following up on something they chose to throw away. Thanks! P.S. I had even called Cigna for them to walk me through filling out the claim form initially. Not sure what I did "wrong", probably just given incorrect information from them. They do not make things easy at all!

I am a Doctor trying to contact a "Representative" at Customer Service. The only contact made with Cigna Health Insurance was a computer loop requiring patient ID and birth date. Worst Customer Service I have ever experienced. I would have entered zero stars if that was an option.

They are the worst medical insurance company I have used in my life. They do not like to pay bills in a timely manner. Also the health care line is an absolute waste of time. Every time you call they say "here is what you can do at home but you need to see a doctor." I am disgusted with how much I have to pay and what little they actually cover and assist with... Horrible insurance. Find someone else.

So I went to some physical therapy in July, presented my Cigna card which says "$40 co-pay." The physical therapy place took a copy of it and placed it on file. I got to 8 sessions, all good. Pay my $40 each time. I get better. On my follow-up visit at the end of August, I am told my co-pay is now $50 as of August 1st. I think it's weird but I say, "Ok." A few days later I get a new card that does say "$50." No big deal.

6 months later, I get a bill from PT place for $80, I ask them, "What's up?" They tell me to call Cigna, Cigna tells me to call them, so I conference them all in. Cigna says my co-pay is $50 and has been since March. PT place and me both show them we have a card saying "$40" until August 1st. They say they will investigate. The next day the lady calls back and says, "My manager called the PT place in July and told them to change it, and they forgot." I'm like, "Your manager called them? Or he told you to tell me that?" Seems like this kind of thing is criminal, but what can I do? I don't want my credit to be ruined over $80. Insurance = Crooks.

Helping a friend apply for Cigna Connect 6250 Health Insurance policy at Market Place. They connected to Cigna site when I requested a list of hospitals in the network. The site requested selection of insurance type from a list provided. Cigna Connect 6250 was not on the list. So I called Cigna directly to get the list to ask for a list. I "made the mistake" of saying I was helping a friend. The operator said that she could not answer unless I had authorization from the person I was helping. Even my lay understanding would tell me that giving a list of hospitals in a network to whoever asks is in no way in violation of HIPAA privacy rules. If telling potential customers about Cigna benefits or keeping secret public information that Cigna would seemingly want to share with potential customers or their friends is not within Cigna protocols, then Cigna is quite adept at cutting their own throat.

Ever since my husband's suicide, my son has been seeing psychiatrists. After trying several different medications, they have found one that is seemingly working well with the desired effects. The medication is **, which has no generic. His company has Cigna as their provider. Cigna denies coverage of this medication, so he has to pay $300/month to get this RX filled. He has a family to provide for, so this now is becoming another stressful loop for him to jump through every month. Obviously, he has tried everything -- Doctor's appeal, nurses' appeals, talking to the company rep (whoever that all powerful person may be and whatever their qualifications, who have a lack of understanding and compassion). Do we need to have congressional hearing on this med as we did in the infamous EPen?? What can I do for him as his mother??

My husband and son have a policy with Cigna. This year he is trying to add me to his plan since mine is not gonna be offered in my area in 2017. I have sent my application 3 times by fax, one by regular mail and they say they don't receive it. Every time I call the agents say "bear with me" and then hang up. I'm frustrated. It is December 8th and started this process on Nov 10. Almost a month. They don't know what they're doing and I feel like they don't care about getting another customer. It is not marketplace contract, it's commercial so they are willing to lose the $350 extra a month they are getting for me and they don't care. Horrible and if this is just the beginning I'm not getting this plan. Maybe my husband and son should get another plan as well.

The absolute WORST experience I have EVER had with health insurance. I have it a year and was hoping the second year may be better, but I was sadly disappointed. They send me a request for EVERY transaction on my card, even when the payee is clearly stated Dr. Whomever's office...then send it again the next time the same provider is used. Almost every single health care claim for one of my dependents is followed by a letter for more information to the Dr. (Also same Dr on multiple occasions) as well as myself to fill out the SAME FORM regarding their other Insurance.

I have effectively both filled out and faxed, mailed and spent extended time on the phone giving this information and been promised it won't happen again to find the exact same thing happening next time. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! HORRIBLE ORGANIZATION!!! Absolutely reprehensible paperwork, data and accounting!!! I will be seeking private insurance this open enrollment and will be starting a petition at work to get this poor excuse for a health care provider ousted!!!! DON'T JOIN!!!

I have a prescription filled at my local pharmacy, attempted to refill it and was denied, was told it had to be filled by Cigna Home Delivery... Called them and the first customer rep told me I didn't have any refills. Well I'm looking at the bottle and it says I have two. I learned I was talking to someone in Jamaica and asked to be transferred to the U.S. The next person told me I was talking to someone in the Caribbean, so I asked to be transferred to someone in the U.S. Got transferred again, this time to someone in the Caribbean, asked to speak to a supervisor or someone in the U.S. He refused without me explaining the situation... Honestly, if they had been able to handle it and had not been transferring me around the room I would have talked to him... So he transferred me - back to the first person I spoke with.

So I hung up and called back and reached a nice young man in the U.S. who understood what I was asking and even called the local pharmacy for me. Next I went to the Cigna website for an e-mail address... They don't have one so I opted for live chat... Got someone in the Philippines, but I got reference number and her manager will 'review' my complaint and make a 'note' in my file. Why is there no address or e-mail address for customers to contact someone with an issue, complaint or concern? With all of the hacking of information databases and misuse of personal information why is my personal medical information being outsourced to the lowest bidder? In another country?

It's so surprising to me to see all of these negative reviews. My mother was covered by Cigna through her employer. She'd been on her job for 38 years, when she was diagnosed with stage 4 of a very rare form of cancer. From the 1st day of her diagnosis, Cigna was there for us. We were assigned a Case Manager and a nurse, and they were always available when we called. We had no problem getting her STD and LTD started. There were times when my mother was so sick until I didn't know whether I was going to be able to maintain my own sanity. The Case Managers and nurses even counseled and encouraged me when I wanted to just give up. Now, I definitely had to stay on top of things and do my part. There was paperwork that I had to get the doctors to fill out on a monthly basis. But as long as I did my part, they did theirs.

My mother was being treated at the Sarcoma center at Vanderbilt and she received awesome treatment and hospital stays, even though her cancer was near the final stages when it was discovered. Unfortunately, my mother did pass away 7 months after her diagnosis. Cigna even followed up with me after her death to make me aware that they did cover grief counseling if needed. I appreciate Cigna for everything. I'm sorry that everyone else's experience is different.

Cigna recently gave me a five month run around and denial for an expensive cholesterol drug - **. After multiple denials by Cigna, I asked for a third party review. This was initiated and the third party contacted me for information. I sent three cardiologist letters indicating the need for this drug. Prior to completion of the review, Cigna reversed their denials and gave approval for THREE months. So after five months of not paying, they approve me for three months, requiring a future approval from them to continue. The drug runs about $14,000 a year. I am a PHYSICIAN and a patient with a cardiac stent and elevated cholesterol. I have been on multiple drug treatment as well as diet and exercise without acceptable lowering of my lipids.

Cigna has been obstructionist, clearly trying to prolong the process and avoid payment. I started the approval process in May 2016 and got my first insurance covered drug this week November 18, 2016. I have discussed this with two of their representatives without any change in their position. I have notified the government agency responsible for oversight, but they only oversee patient employers. I have contacted my company, which is greater than 100 hospital system, and hope to influence our next insurance company selection. CIGNA has been a POOR CHOICE and has acted in an UNETHICAL manner. I am sure the is standard behavior for the company. Should you have need for such a company, I'd avoid them like the plague- if you had the plague, I'm pretty sure they'd deny coverage.

I have had problems with Cigna since first started. This year it has been a nightmare. I started in January and I paid every month. I was late but I was always paid. I sent in a payment for August and I went to the dr. They covered all my benefits. In September I went to the pharmacy to get my meds for the month and I found out without any letters or any notice that my policy was cancelled. I found out while I was in the pharmacy. I got a call from the drs office that Cigna will not pay for my drs visit in August even though my insurance was accepted and the dr did call and everything in August was fine.

Cigna decided to back track my ending date to June 30th which does not make sense since I paid July and August and I was going to the dr all through June, July and August and the bill was 386.00. Also there were two charges of 15.00 for payment to the dr but I already met my deductible and still charged the dr and I was sent a bill from my pcp.

Cigna practice is unethical and they lie. Their billing and customer service is awful. I spoke to someone there it was all good. Then about three weeks ago I received a letter that they cancelled me and backed it all the way to June. I spoke to my insurance agent and he told me that Cigna has been doing this to a lot of people especially if you met your deductibles and out of pocket expenses. If you missed a month or were late with payments they cancelled the client without notice. I called again to Cigna. A customer service rep told me it was not their responsibility to know we were behind. This is a horrible company and have caused me nightmare of expenses. What is the point of having insurance and paying a company and they do not work with you or have good communication open to the client.

My problem with Cigna is the run around I Get. I do not ask for much and do not complain all of the time. BUT, I have severe eye problems. Blind in one eye from detached Retina with constant flashing and glaucoma in the other eye. I have a report with my two eye Drs. Dr Raymond ** (in the book) saw him in April follow up Monday 14th of Nov. and Shepard **---- now ''this the problem" Mary ** I have reported her before!!! Rude not understanding--- will not send referral to Dr **'s office. I have wrote before and someone overrides her. HELP Please!!!

I received my 3rd letter in 90 days to call in and confirm my co-insurance for my family, etc. I am a single person and have had this insurance for 12 years. No changes. I also have Blue Cross as I am retired from another employer. I called in today and asked why am I getting these same letters when this has been taken care of. In fact, my primary doctor had a note on the account I needed to call in, which I did, last month.

The first person to respond to my call asked a plethora of questions and then said she would transfer me to my "team". When the lady, who claims her name was Linette, or something like that answered, she kept playing that she "didn't understand what I was calling about". I tried to explain to her no less than 3 times I was calling about the redundant letter and then why was the claim considered a mental health claim? I asked her name and she would only give a first name. I asked for an employee identifier to file a complaint, and she said she would give a "confirmation number only" which I have no idea if that is a good number. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. She said fine.

I have been on hold 25 minutes listening to music and you know she did this purposely. I believe this employee needs held accountable and she was upset that I was "yelling at her"... the modern phrase from customer service employees to not do their job and to act offended. I will be reporting Cigna to two states Insurance Boards and Attorney Generals for Consumer complaints since I work in one state and live in another. Cigna is an awful insurance company when it comes to customer service. UPDATE, as I was getting ready to hang up, a male came on the line and didn't greet me, but said "are you with me". I said I have been here going on 25 minutes and he responded "well I just back from lunch". So I terminated the call and am moving forward with other ways to resolve this.

This company is fraudulent in changing a doctor Rx and cannot even locate a member with an ID number. They are a scam wanting a full payment for a 7 day supply even when a 30 day supply was written. The company overrode the DOCTORS to SCAM. I can't believe my employer would choose to have this company after nothing but horrible reviews. Disgusting.

I have Cigna Insurance only because it is the company my employer chose. I recently have been diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer. The proper treatment plan cannot be determined until my oncologist knows where in my body the cancer may have spread. This requires a MRI of my head and a PET Scan. Cigna has denied approval of both. One would think that someone would realize that choosing the wrong treatment is only going to prolong the process and cost more in the long run. Or perhaps the thought process is just let me lose the battle with cancer and then the company won't ever have to pay any benefits to me again! Let me know when you have a rating of zero or less - one star is too high!

I have had this awful insurance company through my husbands employer for almost 3 years now and it doesn't get better, only worse. I have had two MRI's requests turned down plus multiple tests. I had a spinal fusion done on my L4/5 section of my back in 2013 with Lovelace and I didn't have any problems with this insurance carriers. Unfortunately they are out of business. I even paid for my own MRI last year because of CIGNA's denial. I am in constant pain and now I have a vein issue in my legs and of course they are giving the doctors office the run-around because I have paid all my deductibles and they don't want to have to pay the whole amount.

This insurance company should be investigated for fraud and deceit. They made me pay $550 for a knee brace I was given by a doctor in Urgent Care in May even though we provided them proof that this company on their own website sold the brace for $86 and they could of cared less. I could go on and on but it is a moot point. Maybe everyone who has ever had to deal with this horrible insurance carrier should come together and file a class action lawsuit against this company and make them responsible for their actions. I for one would vote for that action!

Our campus is switching insurance to Cigna health insurance. We were given a number for our people to call with our enrollment questions. I called to ask some questions about the insurance, twice. BOTH times I was told erroneously by TWO SEPARATE representatives of Cigna that I would be responsible for paying deductible for services that I learned later at our insurance fair I would not be responsible to pay. So I asked Cigna agent at the fair for a copy of the Summary of Benefits she was referencing on the computer, which clearly states what Cigna would be responsible to pay so I would have information in writing since we haven't even started yet with Cigna and I was already getting shafted. The Cigna rep at our insurance fair wouldn't give me a copy.

I called Cigna the next day and again requested the Summary of Benefits from the number our campus was given for enrollment and was told they don't give that information to their clients. WHAT? Cigna refuses to give coverage information to their clients?? These are OUR BENEFITS and we need to know what Cigna has agreed to cover and Cigna has been refusing to give me a copy of my own Summary of Benefits twice so far!! It seems obvious they must figure if you don't know what they agreed to cover they can try to manipulate you to pay out of your pocket for services you are supposed to be covered for, just as the reps I called originally did when they BOTH claimed I would have to pay deductible fees for a covered service. They have the Summary of Benefits at the fair that touts all these coverages but it's the old bait and switch apparently when you need the insurance.

When I originally signed up for the silver select plan the representatives which I spoke to were unable to give me information about the network. I was then given a primary care physician over the phone and signed up for a premium of 359$ a month. About a month later I came down with a sinus infection. The doctor that I was given was no longer in my network. My Ob Gyn that I was told I could keep was no longer in my network. My mammogram imaging center was no longer in my network. My dermatologist for skin cancer screenings was no longer in my network.

So after basically paying for everything as a self pay, Cigna had $3569 from me for the year and I had received nothing besides some help with a pharmaceutical. I decided to drop my plan and enroll in a cheap private health plan to avoid the tax penalty. I then made two separate phone calls to Cigna to stop the automatic deduction from my bank account. Going through two separate paths I ended up in the department that was to "help" me with the stoppage and was automatically disconnected. I had to go to my credit union, pay $35 fee so I could stop Cigna from continuing to steal from me.

I'm sorry to hear so many terrible experiences from others with Cigna and other Insurers. My Cigna coverage involved treatment for small cell lung cancer in 3 states over 2 years. I was working for a company with a national plan. As you can imagine with 3 hospitalizations chemotherapy and radiology it was pretty expensive. My prescription drug coverage was with another company which is relatively new and I withhold comment. I relied almost completely on customer service on a daily basis. If my explanation of benefits indicated not covered I was assured there would be coverage and usually it was. My out of pockets were paid by February. Fortunately that also counted expensive prescription drugs.

I had a serious issue with two different but large NY hospitals which were sent to collection. Cigna backed me up in my differences of opinion which I was vindicated and the collection process stopped. It was determined that I was being overcharged by the providers and apparently I wasn't the only one. There has been constant contact from Cigna from nurses before and after treatment. I can stop that at any time. I still have checkups and ct scans but less often.

I wanted to share a positive comment for a change. Even though it appears that everything was perfect it wasn't and there definitely needs to be some kind of continuity of an issue so you don't have to explain everything again for example. But at the end of the day I'm very satisfied. Wish me luck. I'm going to be medicare only in the new year.

Terrible first time using the insurance for my son and he saw a pediatric dental clinic. Today I got a statement telling why the services was denied. They denied because my son is 11 and he is considered an adult so he should see a general dentist. Wow. Just wow. So now I am being bill by the provider for $220. I don't need insurance. I get the same services in Living Social for $69 dollars. This insurance company is a joke.

I have been trying to get a sleep approval (in lab) study since 9/28. I have been given the run around since then. They have told me it has been escalated 3 times and every time I call (10/5, 10/12, 10/14, 10/18) I find out they will escalate it because no decision has been made. I was told it was with the director on 10/14 and would have a decision by 10/17. It's now 10/18 and now I am told they need to do a peer to peer before it gets escalated to the director. What a bunch of bs! This company sucks! If my company wasn't so damn cheap, we'd have better health insurance. Worst. Insurance. Ever!!!

Cigna requires you to do a yearly wellness exam to keep premiums low. So I choice a in network doctor, and done my wellness exam. Cigna denied the claim saying out of network doctor. So I call them. They say the doctor's office used the wrong network code. The doctors office says the paperwork is correct. Meanwhile I have been attempting to try to get cigna to cover this claim for three months. I done what I was supposed to do. I choice a in network doctor off their list, and now they deny me based on an error on paperwork that I have never seen. There's no point in having insurance if they don't pay claims.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.
  • Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.
  • Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.
  • Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.
  • Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Students