Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Cigna Health Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Every single time I have phoned in order to discuss a medical issue or receive cover for an MRI or consultant visit, Cigna staff have been amazing. They are incredibly helpful and friendly. Easy to talk to, knowledgeable and just willing to listen and spend time explaining things. I would never look at a different health provider. I think whoever employs these people has done a great job. Thank you so much!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

This is the second time I've had Cigna in the last 5 years and truth be told they are great. I have them for all Medical ( HMO POS ) Vision and Dental (PPO) and have not had any high out of pocket cost and they are pretty fast in paying claims. I had another well known insurance between my coverage and let's just say I still have bills from that other company. I am getting a in-patient procedure done soon and my out of pocket is manageable and I can get that copay covered through my hospital indemnity coverage so like I say it's a life saver. I'm doing 4 stars because the Dental coverage isn't as good as it was previously.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2019

So far they've been wonderful and most everything is paid for, just one MRI scan was not. I have not fully utilized the plan however, since my health is pretty good overall. The customer service is good, wellness visits have been free as well as bloodwork. I do wish I had more of a choice of doctors, clinics. I like the free gym club membership as I stay active. I use the Advantage plan.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I like Cigna. They have very good customer service, provide answers and such with a reasonable time frame, and are always ready to help me. I have had several insurance policies in my long past, and Cigna is one I would use again. I have not had trouble getting any service. They are there to help me with options. I feel they care!

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have been with Cigna for over 30 yrs. I am a single woman with medical problems that require dr visits, lab work & prescriptions as well as several surgeries. I could never afford the medical attention I need without an HMO. I have a dr I like & the facility is close to where I live so it's convenient for me. As I age my medical problems seem to increase & multiply so Medicare premium is a life saver for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 26, 2020

Insured with Cigna via employer for 1 year. Worst ever.

- IT/claims portal doesn't work well. Couldn't digitally reimburse, had to been done via cheques.
    - Constantly looking for reason not to reimburse you. Saying things aren't attached which clearly are. Forgetting to respond. Emailing with email addresses that can't be replied to. Taking weeks to get back

- Very bad customer services if you call. Barely speak English.

Genuinely the worst insurer I've ever had. Wouldn't use again and advise everybody to go for any other company than Cigna.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 21, 2020

Words cannot express how extremely disappointed I am in Cigna right now, as a global health insurance company. My employer has had our health insurance coverage benefits through them for about 4 years now, and I hadn’t had any problems with them up until very recently. Cigna had initially stated that they would gladly cover the testing costs for those of us who might be exhibiting possible symptoms of COVID-19/Corona Virus, no questions asked.

After experiencing immense difficulty breathing, as well as having a persistent cough and fever which wouldn’t go away for several days, I had finally attempted to take advantage of Cigna’s offer earlier in the week and seek out COVID 19 testing, only for them to basically go back on their promise, stating that I would not be covered for this particular test since it “does not meet the definition of medical necessity, as outlined in your specific plan.” (Luckily, it turns out that I didn’t actually have the virus, but now I’m stuck with a bunch of hefty medical bills from the hospital and laboratory, due to Cigna’s false promises of covering potentially affected persons…. A promise which they never delivered on.)

My employer’s HR department has also been going around and around with Cigna trying to get them to reverse their decision and cover the costs of my tests. However, they are getting nowhere fast with Cigna, who continues to use the legal jargon within the plan documents to their advantage. My HR representative even confided in me that when all of this is over with, they are probably going to strongly consider dropping Cigna as our health insurer, and honestly, I really cannot blame her at all for advocating for this decision. After all, would anyone out there including a family with children really want to entrust a health insurance company which stares a global pandemic in the face, only to do the morally and socially irresponsible thing by refusing to do their part in order to prevent contagion? (No, I didn’t think so..)

Truth be told, it just honestly seems to me like Cigna is basically trying to use legal technicalities and the ‘fine print’ to weasel their way out of covering a truly “medically necessary” test which they’d expressly and explicitly promised they would cover for the employees within our company, only a few days earlier. To Cigna, it would appear to me as though the almighty dollar essentially wins out every time, when compared to the health (and potential survival) of another human being’s life. To say that I am inordinately disappointed in all of the dishonesty, deception, and underhanded denial tactics which Cigna has used, simply to sell out their values for a stack of greenbacks, would certainly be an understatement!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 19, 2020

Cigna started out by lying about my provider. It wouldn't be as bad but they also denied my daughter her doctor as well. They actually tried to blame me for their error, but continued to refuse to allow us to see our doctor. Customer service is the worst I have ever experienced, and they refuse to allow the customer to speak with anyone with any actual authority. There's a reason this company makes billions in profit.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I was offered Cigna Dental insurance through my employer and had a choice between the insurance that either paid for orthodontia or did not. Since I have had problems with a tooth and my dentist though it be helped by straightening my teeth I chose the plan that included adult orthodontia and paid more per month. I had a minor dental procedure done that was covered under my plan and Cigna Dental denied the entire claim saying it wasn't covered. I had invisible aligners to straighten my teeth and Cigna Dental denied the entire claim saying that they aren't covered.

I provided them the copy of the benefit summary from my My.Cigna.com account showing that I am covered for adult orthodontia and the other claim. Their response was that they didn't cover it. So, in essence they will provide you written information that says they cover things that they will promptly deny when you submit a claim. I will NEVER have another plan with Cigna Dental and am sharing my experience with my employer and everyone else that I can. If someone had warned me about this scam I would have saved more than $500 that I'm wasting on dental "insurance" that doesn't pay for anything.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Customer service is useless when you have questions about a claim. I am a cancer patient and they deny about every request at first, they want peer to peer when they already know I have CANCER, they delayed my treatments, they denied the pain med (just **).. They basically say.. doctor needs to prove medical necessity (PET scan, Radiation, MRI, CT, surgery for the port... etc). I think once they HAVE the actual diagnosis they should approve when a oncologist request, do they think we are doing this for FUN...I want to live but they just want us to die I think so they don't have to pay the claims. WORSE EVER!!! If the cancer does not kill me first they will!!!!

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information