Cigna Health Insurance
1.13/5
Based on 101 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Cigna Health Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 22, 2018

644 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 22, 2018 My wife was suddenly stricken with horrifying pain in her lower spine and hip. Doctors found a mass near her spine as well. Cigna refused Pet Scan, biopsy

and pain meds. Our company is dropping Cigna as a health care provider but, if you have no choice in choosing your plans and you're stuck with Cigna... good luck. Get ready to pay cash. Switching to Blue Shield. PS Cigna now knows we are dropping them so they are refusing more and more services to our employees. NICE! Shouldn't that be illegal? Don't know why I'm writing my first review ever. Merely voicing what 700 other people have already said on this site. F Cigna.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Having to interact what Cigna calls "customer service" is difficult, time-consuming and draining. And given their dishonest inefficiency, every claim has to be followed up manually. Avoid at all costs. Ask your employer to switch. And vote for whichever candidate will put these parasitical companies out of business.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Their reimbursement request process is so awkward. On average for each reimbursement request I have to try 3 or 4 times. Their system disallow modifications. If you made any minor mistake they will deny it and you have to restart everything. There's no detailed explanations so you have to call them. They tell you to what need to be revised and when you resubmit your request they tell you something else is wrong. Intentionally they try their best to deny everything. I always see incorrect numbers or mysterious numbers in their explains.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Cigna is repeatedly denying a gap exception to cover a solid custom molded AFO that my surgeon has determined is medically necessary. We have submitted all of the documentation Cigna has requested, and are told a different reason each time they are denying the request.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Terrible company!!! They administered my company's disability plan and took EVERYTHING from me - my retirement, my life insurance, my pension my minor children's social security award, my social security award, etc. etc. etc. This company has NO MORALS!!! Look elsewhere as this company will only cause you stress and make you sick. Beware!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They claimed that my ** was too expensive and that I would have to use generic ** or at a minimum try other medications before they would cover it. They clearly did not look at my medical records because I have tried a number of alternatives but I was forced to use ** which gives me a number of negative side effects. The ** was perfect, I had multiple doctors tell me I should be on that medication but they still would not cover it. Well my insurance recently dropped so I asked the pharmacist the cost of my generic ** and was somewhat surprised to learn that it was $204.95, and I was paying $5 for the copay. With the ** I would have paid $40 and the cost without insurance is ~$270 meaning I have been taking a medication that hurts me to save Cigna $25.05. This is absolutely appalling.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Do not use this company! I was with Cigna HealthspringRx for approximately 3 years. Their service was not exceptional from the beginning - but my last experience left me wondering how they can possibly be in business. My wife and I have plans to be away from home for 6 weeks, so I needed a vacation override - to be sure I had enough pills to take once per day - which would mean I would need a 60 day supply of my meds. This proved to be impossible - or it was impossible until I told Cigna their process had beat me down to where I had to find another source for the medication.

The problems began with my first call - I was put on hold and promptly the call was disconnected. I tried again - and the same thing happened. Getting a vacation override must be a task that is not favored by the staff. I continued to try -- with luck I managed to learn I needed to send a FAX (old-fashion document transport technology) of my airline ticket. Who still uses this? As the process moved along - I would always speak with supervisors.

This has now taken many, many calls - then a nice sounding lady said she had a fix - I would be receiving my meds through my regular mail order supply. Then Cigna calls me back - another lady says the last lady was all wrong, the workaround would be me picking up my meds at a pharmacy in a nearby town - she gave me the contact information and I thought I was fixed. Then another call from Cigna a day or so later said my request for the vacation override was denied. I called again and after a lot of back and forth I got to a supervisor and told her not to worry - I had spoken to someone and I had the workaround and I'd be getting my meds at the pharmacy.

This lady (Edna, work ID #**) was a real ogre. With absolutely no sympathy for what her company had put me through, she wanted to begin an appeals process. She tells me that the two "workarounds" I had labored to get were NOT IN THEIR SYSTEM. And that I needed to begin an appeals process. Unconcerned, not nice, no empathy - Edna needs to go! I was able to find another source for my pills and told Cigna where to go and was done with this nightmare.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Cigna LIARS: Brianna and Celia the nurse - I wish I could rate 0: Don't talk to them. Ask for another team. They admitted lying to me to make me calm down. They said I was being irrational and excitable, with mood swings (crying, depression, reckless, anger, etc...) in multiple instances on the phone, yet this is perfectly normal and I was denied disability. My doctor says that I am not ready for work, especially because I work with very hazardous chemicals (sulfuric acid, and hydrofluoric acid) at my job. My doctor will not sign off "CIGNA Fit for Duty" paperwork until she finds me fit, and so I can't do anything about going back to work.

I had a stroke 2 years ago, and I WANT to go back to work. This is the first mental/psycho break that I have experienced (in my entire life) and my doctor believes it has to do with my stroke (the original trigger was work-related, but now I have a lot of bad instances). I was getting better, but Cigna's behavior is actually causing me to have more mental issues now.

I try and do my due diligence, and my cognitive function is fine - yet I have outburst and was "being irrational" (not my words, claim made by case manager Brianna while speaking with me to calm me down, she also uses tactics that are questionable), but yet I am suitable to work in this mental state. She also "sympathizes" (fake - can be verified in the recording) with me which is clearly NON GENUINE.

When I ask to speak to the nurse, Celia (on multiple occasions), who apparently is the one nurse handling this decision, she is conveniently never available, morning, noon, and night; Brianna even went as far to agree that this was IN HER SCRIPT to check for the nurse availability, and then deny the conversation I requested to have with her. As an insurance nurse, apparently that makes her more qualified than my doctor (who has been treating me since my stroke, and knows my baseline), and she is knowledgeable enough to override a medical doctor's professional diagnosis.

What gives this group of non-doctors - who btw did not know what CVA (Cerebral Vascular Accident which is medical term for stroke) to allow me to help clarify my issues (since they NEVER let me talk to one... always busy) and for them to explain to me the reason in their "EXPERT" opinion of this denial? My doctor has been sending this information from the very beginning (we have a total of ~60 pages of documentation now), yet they had no idea of my stroke causing physical issues, excessive sweating, migraines, etc...

This was making me even more frustrated as case manager Brianna basically said that the decision is made (by their non-doctor team) and all I can do is appeal (minimum 25 working days, 5-6 weeks). I already haven't received any pay for a month. Even when I am having episodes, Brianna claims that collectively, there is not enough evidence; they think that me picking fights, have multiple episodes a day (which when I take a shower multiple times a day to help me feel better), rages, memory function issues, depression, and my unreasonable documented phone calls to Cigna, is still within the normalcy to be working.

They then claimed they need clarification, which I promptly was able to see my doctor and have her send over to them clarification. They were quick to tell me that they think (though they never take into consideration any of our conversations), where my instability, behavior, and depression do not dictate odd behavior on the phone (but during the conversation, she had to calm my rage, call me irrational) and then have the audacity to claim that I am fit for work. I have some personal recordings of our phone conversations, knowing that they will never share theirs with me, in which I clearly was mentally unstable. There is a lack of accountability in this EXPLETIVE, EXPLETIVE, EXPLETIVE COMPANY...

Did you know in 2016 that the CIGNA CEO David Cordani made $49,000,000?? What is wrong with our insurance? I have been a contributing member to society as an engineer, paying taxes on time, being ethical, and working hard for the past 20 years, and when I need a little time off to deal with this, it is denied. This company is a scumbag and deserves to get sued by us as a collective.

If this was your original stance, why would they approve the disability in the first place? I am still working through the same issues that started at the beginning of the disability claim, and due to insurance changes, cannot afford the meds that were working, and had another psychotic break midway through treatment. I'm not sure this review will actually do anything, but I'm hoping that it is some sort of therapeutic effect before I snap. I am available to discuss more, if anyone would like, you can contact me through this review. I will be checking in to see if others are in the same situation.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I was in a position where I had to change from United Health Care to Cigna for the 2018 year. I have a medical condition where both of my shoulders have severe deterioration of the tissue now causing bone on bone grinding at all times. The expert physicians I have engaged with all have the same diagnosis which is full shoulder replacement of both shoulders. It is my personal decision whether I choose to have these surgeries. I'm in my mid-forties and I am concerned if I have the should replacements now, then I very well may have to have the surgery AGAIN 15-20 years from now. I don't want that...

So, for the last 5 years I have been holding off on the surgeries and taking pain medication to help reduce the pain. During the last 5 years my physician has approved the pain medication, taken daily, using close review and guidance. I am on a formal pain medication "program" with the health system where I agree to random urinalysis checking for drugs. Every 3 months my physician requires I visit him in person, take the urinalysis, and sit and talk with him face to face.

For this 5 year period of time my records show I have never asked for my pain prescription early, never claimed it was stolen to receive more, and I have always had my urinalysis come back showing only the pain medication with no other drugs in my system. So, here's my COMPLAINT with Cigna. Most every person involved in the delivery of healthcare knows the healthcare insurance companies aren't in the business of "caring for patients". Health insurance companies do not care about the well being of their customers, except that they want them as healthy as possible so Cigna won't have to pay out money in reimbursing claims.

Only one factor drives healthcare insurance companies and that is profitability - making money. With that said, I understand why Cigna, when presented with paying for a $5000 medical procedure, took steps to have the customer get "Pre-Authorization" for such expensive procedures. They are protecting their financial interests. This... I understand. Cigna now goes above and beyond requiring Pre-Authorizations for those expensive healthcare procedures. Now they are doing it for your monthly prescriptions.

So, last week I went to the same pharmacy I've been going to for 10 years to pick up my medication, I was told that Cigna rejected the prescription. Why did they reject the prescription? Well, some narrow minded and profit-hungry Cigna executives realized through their data analytics that they are paying WAY TOO much money each year on pain medication prescriptions. So, Cigna uses the "Opioid Epidemic" as an excuse for rejecting prescriptions for pain medication where the prescription is for greater than 15 days. What? Excuse me?

For the last 5 years I have been with three other health insurance companies and none of them created this additional hurdle to receive my medication. But Cigna, well, they seem to forget they are not providing patient care, they are not physicians, they don't meet with patients and exam them. I have been with my physician for more than 10 years and I trust his abilities to make the appropriate diagnosis and provide me with the options I have for treating the medical condition.

If you choose to go with Cigna for health insurance, please know they have a level of arrogance. Every physician in the U.S. knows how serious the Opioid epidemic has become. Every physician knows that recklessly writing prescriptions for pain medication may cause them to lose their job and career from practicing medicine. When Cigna is contacted by a pharmacy who has a formal prescription in hard copy, if Cigna wants 24 hours to contact the physician to verify it is authentic, I get that. But once verified as authentic, Cigna should trust in the physician community. Cigna, for a prescription claim that may cost them $25, should not reject the claim and inject a process that requires the physician to spend hours documenting the details of a patient's care by that doctor. Ridiculous...

Cigna doesn't trust physicians to treat a patient and write the appropriate prescription. Clearly NO. Does Cigna as an organization really care about a patient's health? Oh my goodness NO. Cigna is either uneducated about pain medication or Cigna does not care that their decision to reject a pain medication prescription may very well put that customer in serious harm requiring hospitalization. This decision to reject a pain medication prescription because it is for more than 15 days, will take the physician's office days to complete and Cigna a couple days to process thus adding up to a week delay.

Ask any physician: If a patient has chronic pain and has been taking pain medication daily for more than one year (for example), are there definitive health risks to the patient potentially requiring hospitalization if the patient just stops taking the medication dosage as prescribed? Anyone educated on this topic knows the answer to this question. Yet Cigna just did that to me...

If you take your prescription per your doctor's instructions, there aren't "EXTRA" pills to take. Cigna denied my prescription on a Friday afternoon and told me it may them 3 days AFTER my doctor provides them with the Pre-Authorization forms to "approve" my prescription so the pharmacy can fill it. I was on the phone with Cigna and shocked at what was taking place. I explained to them the length of time I've been taking pain medication on a daily basis, the dosage per day, and that I was leaving on a business trip on Monday and not returning until the next Saturday. Cigna was being told that this decision was putting my health in jeopardy and I was at risk of serious harm requiring hospitalization. All Cigna needed to do is check with my physician over the phone, verify the prescription was valid, and approve it.

Cigna literally told me: Sorry, this requires additional paperwork. There is nothing else we can do. My message: Cigna very well may surprise with additional hurdles every step of the way that keep you from obtaining the medication YOUR physician has determined you need. I would AVOID CIGNA at all costs as they do not care about PEOPLE - they care about PROFIT.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Got a pre approval for Dentures with implants to hold them in. Was pre approved by Cigna that implants would be covered. When dentist turned in for payment they were denied claiming that there was a previous denture so the implants would not be covered. Went back and forth with "so called" customer service for 2 months. Finally got the date of the alleged previous denture. Had dentist verify this and then was told they would not be covered because her gum was good enough to hold a denture. Why they have pre approval is a mystery to me. They change their decision whenever they want to not cover things. Then they tried to claim it was never pre approved. It was bad enough that they didn't cover what they said they would but to claim it wasn't pre approved is a outright lie. Never want to have Cigna for insurance again. Thankfully I have a new job that doesn't use Cigna.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Dealing with the incompetence of Cigna-health Springs Pharmacy DMR is the worst. They charge for things they aren't mailing for weeks. Will not listen about mail times. It is not the same from Portland, OR to Seattle as it is from Portland, OR to rural AK but won't change reorder dates to accommodate. Send inaccurate letters to doctor's office saying that the medication wasn't part of their formulary, when what they really want is a prior authorization bogging down prescription times and doctor's personnel and not accomplishing what needs to be done. Causing a lapse in medication.

I just spent 2 hrs 3 mins and 50 seconds over 3 people to learn what the letters really meant and that they insist that the medication that they messed up last month can't be sent sooner just because it's going to AK and they still insist it will only take 3 days process and ship. It has never happened but that's their policy. I believe that they should have to put in their information, when we are choosing our insurance, that they are thick headed buttheads that have no real interest in helping you with your pharmacy needs but only in it for the money. Anyone can make a mistake now and again, I do, but to consistently screw up every time take real lack of interest. In the 3 people I talked to I got 3 different answers and $$ information. I have to say the last, Linda I believe, tried the hardest.

If it were medication that wouldn't be such a big deal like a cholesterol med and I had to miss a couple weeks it wouldn't be right but not such a big deal but I'm talking about life and death medication. Totally frustrating and completely unacceptable. So because of it I will have to go without and take my chances or pay the much higher price and get it at the local pharmacy, which will screw up the next order. What part of that is ok? None!!! I don't know if there is legal statutes here but there should be especially for the price they charge. Totally unacceptable!!! But stuck with them till January. Grrr!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I had a prescription for eye drops at the beginning of January with a coupon given to me by my doctor. The coupon read that the prescription would be free. When I picked it up from the pharmacist, there was no co-pay. I left with the drops. Two weeks later, I had to pick up another prescription that should have been covered by my employee HRA. It wasn't. I contacted Cigna to find out why. The rep said the funds were used to cover the drops - the ones that should have been free. $500.00 of HRA funds went to this supposedly free medication. I asked to speak to a manager about having that claim reversed, refunded, or issued a credit of some sort. Manager wasn't available and I was told to call back the next day. I did and spoke with Keri or Kelly, not sure of the name as I tried to forget her as soon as the conversation was over.

She couldn't have been more condescending and unhelpful. Basically, she said those funds had to be deducted before the coupon could be applied and nothing could be done because that claim was over 7 days old. I had no idea the drops were that expensive. All I know was that the co-pay was $0 like to coupon said. Well obviously it wasn't since $500.00 was taken from me. She couldn't care less that I was screwed. She even denied transferring me to the HRA department to at least express my concern and dissatisfaction with the entire situation. Unlike most managers in customer service, she didn't even attempt to care. Actually, most of the reps and managers I talked to regarding various issues at Cigna were either incompetent, rude, or both. I like my job, but I may need to start looking elsewhere for the insurance alone.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Cigna stopped paying my short term disability payments because they said they haven't received a form from my doctor. The doctor's office claimed that they faxed it the same day I was seen. It has been three weeks now and my case worker at Cigna claims he's been calling twice a week to get the form. I called this morning and spoke to a different person. She tried to call the doctor at the number listed in my file and the number isn't even valid. My claims rep has been lying to me for three weeks. He hasn't even tried to get the paperwork he needed or he would have known that the number was no good. In the meantime, I've got bills piling up and no income. What a waste of money to pay for short term disability insurance.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I have spent a good hour reading all the negative reviews from everyone. And it does not shock me at all to read how we the customers are disappointed with Cigna. I am the victim of poor customer service by every individual at Cigna. It is disgusting that this company is still operating. My issue concerns a bill of $77k in which Cigna will not cover after a yr long investigation. Prior to my baby's due date I contacted customer service. Spoke with a rep who said FL law requires babies are automatically covered under my insurance. With that said every call made after that was same response. After baby's birth I again contacted Cigna and NOT ONE person ever said to me what I needed to do. It was not until the hospital billed me for $77k stating Cigna denied claim. Since Oct 2016- Oct 2017 I have contacted Cigna however, to spend countless hrs on the phone being transferred and explaining my issue to an individual who doesn't care.

And once again not one person ever gave me the same answers. And in Nov 2017 I escalated my issue to Office of the President. I spoke to Alicia **, who listened to my complaint, said she will get back to me. After calling her for status, she says still investigating, Cigna wanted to find recorded call where I was not provided complete information. Again, after calling her again, of course recorded call deleted. Of course it's been over a yr. She should know that especially since she's in corporate. And just Jan 30th 2018 she calls me to say that after reviewing information they will NOT pay claim. She explained that after child's birth my employer should have submitted information. I was definitely in shock since I had specifically explained that her representatives never explained details to me, employer, or hospital collections person. So for her error in lack of training I became the victim.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Took Cigna more than a month to get my insurance in effect. Their website is a nightmare. Their automated phone system is a nightmare. This company doesn't care about its customers. Nothing but problems. Stay away.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

When my wife was pregnant with my first child she had "health insurance" by Cigna under her employer at the time. When she had to leave work, we paid the COBRA payments religiously. 1 week from her delivery date, Cigna said they never received that month's payment and her policy was canceled, effective immediately. 2 weeks later we received the last month's payment we had mailed ON TIME. Imagine the stress of having to pay $600 a month FOR A SINGLE PERSON'S HEALTH INSURANCE, worrying about prenatal care, preparing a home for your first born, and trying to fathom how you're going to make it through the next 6 months, let alone the next week. Now you're hit with an unimaginable $26,000 hospital bill that should be covered by the health insurance you've been paying into for 5 years. They won't cover anything.

I've been lucky enough to have Blue Cross/Blue Shield since she was 2. Now my employer changed our coverage to Cigna. Bad news ahead. My now 10 year old has arthritis and needs monthly infusions. She goes to physical therapy twice a week and sees ophthalmologists every other month. Cigna's very first communication to me - before I even received a new-client packet - was rejection of the doctor's prescription for PT. Pharmacy prescriptions that used to be free or $1 are now $15 or $260. This is hands down the worst experience I've ever had with any company in any industry.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I only make $24,000 a year. $3,600 of that goes to the annual Cigna premiums and I have a $6000 deductible and that's through my employer plan! Can you say WORTHLESS?? The Cigna plan is to steal as much as they can per month and discourage you from using it with a hulk sized deductible. Bottom line is they are thieves.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I am very troubled with all of the negative comments and reviews. I had Cigna through my employer for 27.5 years. I have 7 children who are all now grown and on their own. Four of these children were adopted in 1999. Cigna notified us to let us know that we could add them once they were placed in our home. They covered them under my policy for almost a year before the adoptions were finalized. My husband has had to have 2 major back surgeries...one in 2000 and one in 2017. Both of these surgeries were covered 100%! We have never had an ounce of trouble with Cigna in any way!

I retired and let my policy end because not being covered through the company I was working for meant my cost would rise A LOT. Now that I have been looking for insurance I wish I had just paid it and kept it! The bad thing about reviews is people always write when they are upset about something but no one ever writes the positive reviews. Well, Cigna, I give you a full 5 stars and would give more if possible!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Loan request - obtaining info. In dealing with this company I found it very frustrating. 1st it took almost 3 months for them to send copies of my life insurance policies and then when I requested a loan, it was another 8 weeks before they finished up on my request. There is little to no follow-up with the consumer. Had I not made weekly calls and follow-up on my requests I would still be waiting for correspondence. In this day of electronic everything you would expect a phone call or email to confirm someone is working on your request. This company needs to put more into customer relations. They are very good at asking for their premiums but not at all helpful when you need your money.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

When my wife got a job that had "good health insurance" I was really happy. Then came the signup process. Even though we were only given a few options, it was incredibly confusing. It's like Cigna intentionally obfuscates the workings of their coverage, which I'm guessing isn't far from truth. So now I'm covered right? Wrong. Almost nothing is covered. They say "preventative health care" is covered pre-deductible but apparently almost nothing counts as preventative. So now we're paying a LOT for insurance (even with the help of her employer) and then paying for nearly everything out of pocket on top of that up to our $6000 deductible. I was better off when I was too poor to afford insurance and Obama set me up with this sweet plan. Now most of my paycheck goes into medical bills.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I had a complete hip surgery at the end of September 2016. Of course I meet all my deductible and out of pocket expenses. I went to Connect for Health in Colorado to pick a new insurance plan for 2018 on November 15th. They said that my wife's SSDI had to be added to figure out tax credits and that the last month I would have to pay more for my premium.

At the end of November I went to pay premium online and was not allowed to. After calling them they said that insurance was cancel by me, and I said, "Why would I do that when I didn't have to pay out more money?" They just put me in the endless loop of calls that went nowhere. So I got the Connect for Health agents involved and they said that someone in Connect for Health told them to cancel my insurance when they only sent them a new payment for December. Then soon as Cigna gets the original correction sent by Connect for Health everything will be ok. I never heard from Cigna after that and had to cancel hip therapy, I knew by the lies they were coming up with that I was out of luck for being insured. They never got back with me because I meet all out of pocket expenses.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

We paid more than $20,000 a year to this company but our plan only paid less than $2,000 for our visits in year 2017, they applied as much as they could to the deductibles/copays. Their stock share price keep increasing all these years and now it's rocket high, think about how much money they made on us every year.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I had to change health plans due to Anthem Health care leaving the Marketplace program. Cigna sent the bill and I paid it. I went online to register my account and the website said I need to contact customer service because it did not show my address. I called on Dec 29th and spoke to a CSR. He reviewed my account and it showed my previous address from a year ago. I asked him how did they get this address? He said it came from the Marketplace that sent the information. I informed him that something is wrong because the bill sent by Cigna shows my correct address. He could not answer that question.

I went to the Marketplace website and confirmed that my address was correct. I receive all correspondence to my current address. I called the Marketplace and the lady also confirmed that my address was correct and did not understand why Cigna would use my previous address. I called again today and Cigna was a total waste of time. They used a lame excuse about HIPAA. Long story short, they were unable to change anything. If this is the way they are out of the gate I cannot fathom how they will be if I need to use that junk of a policy. I am cancelling my policy with Cigna! I rather pay for my doctor's visit out of pocket than to deal with a group of incompetents!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

If I could give this company a 0 stars, I would. We pay an enormous amount per month for medical insurance and they literally cover nothing! We have a daughter who is a Type 1 diabetic and she has been on the same insulin for 10 years and they deny coverage for her insulin and want her to go on a different insulin. Since when does an insurance company dictate what medications a person should be on? Ridiculous!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My husbands company just switched insurance companies to Cigna. Previously we had United Health Care which I liked very much. Since the switch in September we have had nothing but trouble. I needed an MRI and before I proceeded with it I wanted to ensure that I was covered, for how much and how much I would be responsible for. Well that call took 2 hours!! I called Cigna who said they did not see an approval. I called my doctor who had the approval and an approval code. Called Cigna back and they said no such code and had me call Dr. again. After doing that twice I said you need to call my doctor. Turns out it was the right number, it was a Cigna # and they outsource to another company and was looking for that number??

Now my daughter needs ACL replacement. Got all approvals, surgery is Thursday, get a call that the CPM machine she needs isn't covered, only covered for knee replacement. Dr. says she needs it or must go to PT immediately. 3 hours on the phone. Thought it was all set, just got call nope not covered. We have to pay $31 for 21 days. $651 for something that is required. So far I am not impressed with this company and how the heck can working people spend this amount of time on the phone. Really. Plus when we called I could hardly understand the person I spoke with, she had such a heavy accent. How can you have someone with such a heavy accent on phone service??

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I had no choice but to take this insurance through my employer. It is a big scam! They don't want to pay for anything, and make you earn reward points/jump through hurdles just to get the basic coverages that any other health insurance agent would cover. I tried logging into their online portal and have not been able to do so for over a week. When I called, they said they were in the process of updating their site and I was then redirected to another number. When I called the new number, they had was a bunch of soliciting messages about free oil and signing up for the gym etc. Seriously, what health provider tries to sell you other items?!?

I tried bypassing this questionnaire to get to a tech person but was unsuccessful. I then called back the original number and had to argue for 15 minutes to speak to a manager. I was then put on hold for 30 minutes, and then the line auto hung up. So now what? I can't get into my account, no customer service, an hour wasted, and I am stuck still paying them every month out of my paycheck for nothing!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

If you have a choice to go with a different insurance company I would advise you do so. I had several medical complications following my delivery. I stayed in the hospital all together over 3 weeks. I had to have blood transfusions & several surgical procedures. Needless to say Cigna made it extremely difficult & did not want to pay me. Steer clear from Cigna if you can.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Cigna is denying treatment I have been receiving for 10 years! I have Blepharospasm and require injections to hold my eyes open. This is a covered benefit but they say it is not medically necessary. When I offered to send 10 years of medical records they refused to accept them. I am functionally blind without treatment and they won't budge to help me.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Four years of being customer, used to be so pleasant to call in and get answers to my insurance coverage QTs. They had a survey at end of each call to relay your evaluation of the call experience quality. Now my question seem to get lost in the maze of people that answer calls out of country and half rude American call center. And 40 minutes go by bouncing between transfers, can’t get answers and can’t get the right department. Cigna! You cost so much $, and has really deteriorated in quality of customer service.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I've had a lot of health insurances in my life (private, Medicaid, military, even VA) and Cigna seems particularly troublesome. A couple issues: They screw things up. First, when we were adding someone to the plan, they added the wrong person and we had to go through a process to correct it. Commonly, I'll sit through long phone menus just trying to reach an agent and be transferred to the wrong extension or number.

Complicated/adversarial claims process. My husband has Cigna as his primary, and also my health insurance (through my job) as secondary. Working with Cigna on this has been the most painstaking process. He went to the ER a couple months ago, for example, and they are withholding payment from the hospital because he has other insurance (even though they're primary). A large portion of his medication is not covered. Several of our providers have had difficulty over receiving reimbursement through Cigna, and as a result have limited our services. There are other examples, but these are the ones that come to mind. Don't choose Cigna. They can only make your life worse. Grade F.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information

Cigna
www.cigna.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use