Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Cigna Health Insurance
1.35/5

Cigna Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Cigna Health Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Every single time I have phoned in order to discuss a medical issue or receive cover for an MRI or consultant visit, Cigna staff have been amazing. They are incredibly helpful and friendly. Easy to talk to, knowledgeable and just willing to listen and spend time explaining things. I would never look at a different health provider. I think whoever employs these people has done a great job. Thank you so much!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

This is the second time I've had Cigna in the last 5 years and truth be told they are great. I have them for all Medical ( HMO POS ) Vision and Dental (PPO) and have not had any high out of pocket cost and they are pretty fast in paying claims. I had another well known insurance between my coverage and let's just say I still have bills from that other company. I am getting a in-patient procedure done soon and my out of pocket is manageable and I can get that copay covered through my hospital indemnity coverage so like I say it's a life saver. I'm doing 4 stars because the Dental coverage isn't as good as it was previously.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2019

So far they've been wonderful and most everything is paid for, just one MRI scan was not. I have not fully utilized the plan however, since my health is pretty good overall. The customer service is good, wellness visits have been free as well as bloodwork. I do wish I had more of a choice of doctors, clinics. I like the free gym club membership as I stay active. I use the Advantage plan.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I like Cigna. They have very good customer service, provide answers and such with a reasonable time frame, and are always ready to help me. I have had several insurance policies in my long past, and Cigna is one I would use again. I have not had trouble getting any service. They are there to help me with options. I feel they care!

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have been with Cigna for over 30 yrs. I am a single woman with medical problems that require dr visits, lab work & prescriptions as well as several surgeries. I could never afford the medical attention I need without an HMO. I have a dr I like & the facility is close to where I live so it's convenient for me. As I age my medical problems seem to increase & multiply so Medicare premium is a life saver for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

My only granddaughter died after a long struggle with leukemia a few weeks ago. Cigna Insurance Company unfortunately, tried to find numerous methods of not covering some of the services which she'd needed. One of these had included a necessary blood transfusion. While it is true that my granddaughter’s health had been in rapid decline throughout the past year, all the consistent denials from Cigna Insurance Company certainly didn’t help matters. This insurance company did eventually cover some procedures as summarized in my granddaughter’s plan for blood transfusion care. However, a lot of the delay and deny tactics which Cigna Insurance Company had so callously used probably cost my granddaughter precious time which would’ve been needed to possibly allow for her to make a full recovery.

I’m not blaming Cigna Insurance Company directly for my granddaughter’s death, but I am blaming them for using what I honestly felt were dishonest stall tactics to ultimately avoid covering some of the procedures which she had needed several months earlier. Their entire appeals process was extremely cold-hearted, dragging on for several months when it shouldn’t have. It was quite sickening to know that doctors and medical directors representing Cigna who weren’t even directly involved in my granddaughter’s care were ultimately making what I felt almost amounted to certain life and death decisions. My family and I will never know for sure whether Cigna’s delay tactics were ultimately responsible for hastening my granddaughter’s death. Maybe they were, but then again maybe my granddaughter was just too ill all along to recover.

She did have underlying medical complications, yet these could have possibly been alleviated using a more empathetic and caring approach by Cigna which I don’t feel like they ever used. My granddaughter to Cigna, seemed to be nothing more than just a ‘number’ who the company didn’t seem to want to provide care or coverage for. I firmly believe this was because Cigna viewed some of the expensive care procedures which my granddaughter would have needed as being too costly, amounting to nothing more than a profit loss of premiums collected versus claims paid on their corporation’s balance sheets. That is certainly how it seemed to be. It is such a shame that an insurer as large as Cigna Insurance Company would choose to act this way, with such utter disregard for human life.

Obviously, I can’t make the decision for those reading this review as to whether they will or should decide on their own to use Cigna Insurance Company for their healthcare needs. (My family of course, never will again.) Yet my bigger goal of sharing this for public view is to allow for my granddaughter’s story to serve as a cautionary tale, so others can make their own well-informed decisions regarding their family’s healthcare needs. This insurer here, Cigna Insurance Company in my view, doesn’t seem to be very ethical. The health and well-being of their members appears secondary to the company’s profit versus loss strategic goals of limiting and minimizing payment or coverage on valid, possibly life-enhancing claims.

There’s much more which I could write here, but honestly I don’t think it would make a difference in how Cigna Insurance Company ultimately chooses to conduct its business. Maybe a company representative or spokesperson might choose to post a standard company response below, denying virtually everything that I had alluded to above. However, Cigna Insurance Company knows very well, in their hearts, that their delay and denial tactics certainly did not do anything to help my granddaughter’s chances of survival, even if they were not directly responsible for her death. Thank you everyone, for taking the time to read and share my story. Please always value life in the moment and stay blessed.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Before my employer switched insurance companies we had United Healthcare which I absolutely despised. So I was looking forward to being covered by Cigna for no change in price to what we were paying from the other company. I am a mostly healthy 42 year old male. Rarely ever have to go to see a doctor or physician. For the last 6 months I have only had to pay $20/biweekly for single employee coverage. Which is $40 PER month, very competitive pricing I think. That was all well and good until I was ordered by the court to add my son to my insurance. So I'm thinking ok it shouldn't be much more than paying double than what I was paying. Boy was I wrong. Adding only one child cost me around 10.5X more than just the cost of myself.

So now my insurance is costing me around $427 per month, $213 & some change biweekly. This is a huge jump and not justified in my opinion. They don't offer a +1 plan evidently. From what I understand I could add on 4 children and still pay the same price as adding one. This is completely not fair. Maybe I am upset with the wrong people as it could be my employer who just isn't covering as much of the cost? But I still blame Cigna for not having a plus one plan. I can't afford to have health coverage with these prices.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I had a radical hysterectomy done by an in-network surgeon in an in-network hospital. I woke up with a pain level of 8, a cortisone IV in my arm, a catheter connected in my bladder, my vagina full of padding to contain external bleeding, and a nurse coming to check regularly for any internal bleeding. Nevertheless, according to Cigna this is an OUT-PATIENT surgery!! REALLY?? It's been over 3 months, and they haven't paid a single bill, having all the service providers jumping through hoops like crazy, and keeping on rejecting all claims!! If you want peace of mind, stay away from Cigna, just another greedy health insurance which doesn't care about patients wellness and safety.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I am simply trying to find the answer to one clear question which they refuse to answer. Do you consider rigid gas permeable (toric) contact lenses "medically necessary" or not? On the phone they pretend that this differs between plans but it's obviously not true, it's either medically necessary under a specific condition (eg keratonocus or pellucid marginal degeneration) or not. This is just another way they try to hide what they actually cover until you go to get it reimbursed. Then anybody can tell you whether they pay for it or not (mostly not) without any hesitation.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

This insurer: Cigna doesn't truly care about their members' health in my opinion. For the past several months, they have been attempting to use a number of underhanded delay, defend, and deny tactics in order to avoid covering certain medically necessary procedures (evaluation tests for possibly needed blood transfusion in the future) which several members of my medical team have already informed Cigna that I will need. The insurer however, has sent a total of 7 different denial letters to each of my providers, even having the sheer audacity to suggest that these evaluation tests aren't medically necessary but are experimental in nature instead.

My doctors and I have been going around and around with Cigna for the past 5 months, trying to convince them that each of these evaluation tests actually is medically necessary. Cigna just doesn't want to hear it though, because they realize how much this procedure is going to cost. So they are basically trying to use every single trick in the book to avoid covering the cost of these medically necessary evaluation tests, even though I have fulfilled all of my obligations to the same contract which they are attempting to breach. For example, my deductible had already been satisfied several months ago, and I have all of the necessary documentation from all of my providers to establish medical necessity. There are so many additional sleazy and dishonest "legal loophole" tactics which Cigna is trying to use, but I won't have enough time or space to list them all below.

However, please take my advice and just steer clear of this insurer, Cigna. They are very deceptive, and employ what amounts to basically bait and switch tactics in order to avoid covering truly medically necessary procedures. Unfortunately, it won't really matter if you do everything right, and/or if you have enough medical providers standing in your corner trying to advocate for your health. Cigna as an insurance company, is sadly, not truly in the "business of caring" which is what they try to promote in all of their superficial advertisements and brochures. And if anything, this insurer Cigna in my opinion, is really in the "business" of only putting profits before people. Thank you all, for reading my review. Please make a wise decision when it comes to your own health, and avoid all of the stress, aggravation, and hassle associated with dealing with this particular insurer: Cigna.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information