Cigna Health Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The absolute WORST experience I have EVER had with health insurance. I have it a year and was hoping the second year may be better, but I was sadly disappointed. They send me a request for EVERY transaction on my card, even when the payee is clearly stated Dr. Whomever's office...then send it again the next time the same provider is used. Almost every single health care claim for one of my dependents is followed by a letter for more information to the Dr. (Also same Dr on multiple occasions) as well as myself to fill out the SAME FORM regarding their other Insurance.

I have effectively both filled out and faxed, mailed and spent extended time on the phone giving this information and been promised it won't happen again to find the exact same thing happening next time. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! HORRIBLE ORGANIZATION!!! Absolutely reprehensible paperwork, data and accounting!!! I will be seeking private insurance this open enrollment and will be starting a petition at work to get this poor excuse for a health care provider ousted!!!! DON'T JOIN!!!

I have a prescription filled at my local pharmacy, attempted to refill it and was denied, was told it had to be filled by Cigna Home Delivery... Called them and the first customer rep told me I didn't have any refills. Well I'm looking at the bottle and it says I have two. I learned I was talking to someone in Jamaica and asked to be transferred to the U.S. The next person told me I was talking to someone in the Caribbean, so I asked to be transferred to someone in the U.S. Got transferred again, this time to someone in the Caribbean, asked to speak to a supervisor or someone in the U.S. He refused without me explaining the situation... Honestly, if they had been able to handle it and had not been transferring me around the room I would have talked to him... So he transferred me - back to the first person I spoke with.

So I hung up and called back and reached a nice young man in the U.S. who understood what I was asking and even called the local pharmacy for me. Next I went to the Cigna website for an e-mail address... They don't have one so I opted for live chat... Got someone in the Philippines, but I got reference number and her manager will 'review' my complaint and make a 'note' in my file. Why is there no address or e-mail address for customers to contact someone with an issue, complaint or concern? With all of the hacking of information databases and misuse of personal information why is my personal medical information being outsourced to the lowest bidder? In another country?

It's so surprising to me to see all of these negative reviews. My mother was covered by Cigna through her employer. She'd been on her job for 38 years, when she was diagnosed with stage 4 of a very rare form of cancer. From the 1st day of her diagnosis, Cigna was there for us. We were assigned a Case Manager and a nurse, and they were always available when we called. We had no problem getting her STD and LTD started. There were times when my mother was so sick until I didn't know whether I was going to be able to maintain my own sanity. The Case Managers and nurses even counseled and encouraged me when I wanted to just give up. Now, I definitely had to stay on top of things and do my part. There was paperwork that I had to get the doctors to fill out on a monthly basis. But as long as I did my part, they did theirs.

My mother was being treated at the Sarcoma center at Vanderbilt and she received awesome treatment and hospital stays, even though her cancer was near the final stages when it was discovered. Unfortunately, my mother did pass away 7 months after her diagnosis. Cigna even followed up with me after her death to make me aware that they did cover grief counseling if needed. I appreciate Cigna for everything. I'm sorry that everyone else's experience is different.

Cigna recently gave me a five month run around and denial for an expensive cholesterol drug - **. After multiple denials by Cigna, I asked for a third party review. This was initiated and the third party contacted me for information. I sent three cardiologist letters indicating the need for this drug. Prior to completion of the review, Cigna reversed their denials and gave approval for THREE months. So after five months of not paying, they approve me for three months, requiring a future approval from them to continue. The drug runs about $14,000 a year. I am a PHYSICIAN and a patient with a cardiac stent and elevated cholesterol. I have been on multiple drug treatment as well as diet and exercise without acceptable lowering of my lipids.

Cigna has been obstructionist, clearly trying to prolong the process and avoid payment. I started the approval process in May 2016 and got my first insurance covered drug this week November 18, 2016. I have discussed this with two of their representatives without any change in their position. I have notified the government agency responsible for oversight, but they only oversee patient employers. I have contacted my company, which is greater than 100 hospital system, and hope to influence our next insurance company selection. CIGNA has been a POOR CHOICE and has acted in an UNETHICAL manner. I am sure the is standard behavior for the company. Should you have need for such a company, I'd avoid them like the plague- if you had the plague, I'm pretty sure they'd deny coverage.

I have had problems with Cigna since first started. This year it has been a nightmare. I started in January and I paid every month. I was late but I was always paid. I sent in a payment for August and I went to the dr. They covered all my benefits. In September I went to the pharmacy to get my meds for the month and I found out without any letters or any notice that my policy was cancelled. I found out while I was in the pharmacy. I got a call from the drs office that Cigna will not pay for my drs visit in August even though my insurance was accepted and the dr did call and everything in August was fine.

Cigna decided to back track my ending date to June 30th which does not make sense since I paid July and August and I was going to the dr all through June, July and August and the bill was 386.00. Also there were two charges of 15.00 for payment to the dr but I already met my deductible and still charged the dr and I was sent a bill from my pcp.

Cigna practice is unethical and they lie. Their billing and customer service is awful. I spoke to someone there it was all good. Then about three weeks ago I received a letter that they cancelled me and backed it all the way to June. I spoke to my insurance agent and he told me that Cigna has been doing this to a lot of people especially if you met your deductibles and out of pocket expenses. If you missed a month or were late with payments they cancelled the client without notice. I called again to Cigna. A customer service rep told me it was not their responsibility to know we were behind. This is a horrible company and have caused me nightmare of expenses. What is the point of having insurance and paying a company and they do not work with you or have good communication open to the client.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

My problem with Cigna is the run around I Get. I do not ask for much and do not complain all of the time. BUT, I have severe eye problems. Blind in one eye from detached Retina with constant flashing and glaucoma in the other eye. I have a report with my two eye Drs. Dr Raymond ** (in the book) saw him in April follow up Monday 14th of Nov. and Shepard **---- now ''this the problem" Mary ** I have reported her before!!! Rude not understanding--- will not send referral to Dr **'s office. I have wrote before and someone overrides her. HELP Please!!!

I received my 3rd letter in 90 days to call in and confirm my co-insurance for my family, etc. I am a single person and have had this insurance for 12 years. No changes. I also have Blue Cross as I am retired from another employer. I called in today and asked why am I getting these same letters when this has been taken care of. In fact, my primary doctor had a note on the account I needed to call in, which I did, last month.

The first person to respond to my call asked a plethora of questions and then said she would transfer me to my "team". When the lady, who claims her name was Linette, or something like that answered, she kept playing that she "didn't understand what I was calling about". I tried to explain to her no less than 3 times I was calling about the redundant letter and then why was the claim considered a mental health claim? I asked her name and she would only give a first name. I asked for an employee identifier to file a complaint, and she said she would give a "confirmation number only" which I have no idea if that is a good number. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. She said fine.

I have been on hold 25 minutes listening to music and you know she did this purposely. I believe this employee needs held accountable and she was upset that I was "yelling at her"... the modern phrase from customer service employees to not do their job and to act offended. I will be reporting Cigna to two states Insurance Boards and Attorney Generals for Consumer complaints since I work in one state and live in another. Cigna is an awful insurance company when it comes to customer service. UPDATE, as I was getting ready to hang up, a male came on the line and didn't greet me, but said "are you with me". I said I have been here going on 25 minutes and he responded "well I just back from lunch". So I terminated the call and am moving forward with other ways to resolve this.

This company is fraudulent in changing a doctor Rx and cannot even locate a member with an ID number. They are a scam wanting a full payment for a 7 day supply even when a 30 day supply was written. The company overrode the DOCTORS to SCAM. I can't believe my employer would choose to have this company after nothing but horrible reviews. Disgusting.

I have Cigna Insurance only because it is the company my employer chose. I recently have been diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer. The proper treatment plan cannot be determined until my oncologist knows where in my body the cancer may have spread. This requires a MRI of my head and a PET Scan. Cigna has denied approval of both. One would think that someone would realize that choosing the wrong treatment is only going to prolong the process and cost more in the long run. Or perhaps the thought process is just let me lose the battle with cancer and then the company won't ever have to pay any benefits to me again! Let me know when you have a rating of zero or less - one star is too high!

I have had this awful insurance company through my husbands employer for almost 3 years now and it doesn't get better, only worse. I have had two MRI's requests turned down plus multiple tests. I had a spinal fusion done on my L4/5 section of my back in 2013 with Lovelace and I didn't have any problems with this insurance carriers. Unfortunately they are out of business. I even paid for my own MRI last year because of CIGNA's denial. I am in constant pain and now I have a vein issue in my legs and of course they are giving the doctors office the run-around because I have paid all my deductibles and they don't want to have to pay the whole amount.

This insurance company should be investigated for fraud and deceit. They made me pay $550 for a knee brace I was given by a doctor in Urgent Care in May even though we provided them proof that this company on their own website sold the brace for $86 and they could of cared less. I could go on and on but it is a moot point. Maybe everyone who has ever had to deal with this horrible insurance carrier should come together and file a class action lawsuit against this company and make them responsible for their actions. I for one would vote for that action!

Our campus is switching insurance to Cigna health insurance. We were given a number for our people to call with our enrollment questions. I called to ask some questions about the insurance, twice. BOTH times I was told erroneously by TWO SEPARATE representatives of Cigna that I would be responsible for paying deductible for services that I learned later at our insurance fair I would not be responsible to pay. So I asked Cigna agent at the fair for a copy of the Summary of Benefits she was referencing on the computer, which clearly states what Cigna would be responsible to pay so I would have information in writing since we haven't even started yet with Cigna and I was already getting shafted. The Cigna rep at our insurance fair wouldn't give me a copy.

I called Cigna the next day and again requested the Summary of Benefits from the number our campus was given for enrollment and was told they don't give that information to their clients. WHAT? Cigna refuses to give coverage information to their clients?? These are OUR BENEFITS and we need to know what Cigna has agreed to cover and Cigna has been refusing to give me a copy of my own Summary of Benefits twice so far!! It seems obvious they must figure if you don't know what they agreed to cover they can try to manipulate you to pay out of your pocket for services you are supposed to be covered for, just as the reps I called originally did when they BOTH claimed I would have to pay deductible fees for a covered service. They have the Summary of Benefits at the fair that touts all these coverages but it's the old bait and switch apparently when you need the insurance.

When I originally signed up for the silver select plan the representatives which I spoke to were unable to give me information about the network. I was then given a primary care physician over the phone and signed up for a premium of 359$ a month. About a month later I came down with a sinus infection. The doctor that I was given was no longer in my network. My Ob Gyn that I was told I could keep was no longer in my network. My mammogram imaging center was no longer in my network. My dermatologist for skin cancer screenings was no longer in my network.

So after basically paying for everything as a self pay, Cigna had $3569 from me for the year and I had received nothing besides some help with a pharmaceutical. I decided to drop my plan and enroll in a cheap private health plan to avoid the tax penalty. I then made two separate phone calls to Cigna to stop the automatic deduction from my bank account. Going through two separate paths I ended up in the department that was to "help" me with the stoppage and was automatically disconnected. I had to go to my credit union, pay $35 fee so I could stop Cigna from continuing to steal from me.

I'm sorry to hear so many terrible experiences from others with Cigna and other Insurers. My Cigna coverage involved treatment for small cell lung cancer in 3 states over 2 years. I was working for a company with a national plan. As you can imagine with 3 hospitalizations chemotherapy and radiology it was pretty expensive. My prescription drug coverage was with another company which is relatively new and I withhold comment. I relied almost completely on customer service on a daily basis. If my explanation of benefits indicated not covered I was assured there would be coverage and usually it was. My out of pockets were paid by February. Fortunately that also counted expensive prescription drugs.

I had a serious issue with two different but large NY hospitals which were sent to collection. Cigna backed me up in my differences of opinion which I was vindicated and the collection process stopped. It was determined that I was being overcharged by the providers and apparently I wasn't the only one. There has been constant contact from Cigna from nurses before and after treatment. I can stop that at any time. I still have checkups and ct scans but less often.

I wanted to share a positive comment for a change. Even though it appears that everything was perfect it wasn't and there definitely needs to be some kind of continuity of an issue so you don't have to explain everything again for example. But at the end of the day I'm very satisfied. Wish me luck. I'm going to be medicare only in the new year.

Terrible first time using the insurance for my son and he saw a pediatric dental clinic. Today I got a statement telling why the services was denied. They denied because my son is 11 and he is considered an adult so he should see a general dentist. Wow. Just wow. So now I am being bill by the provider for $220. I don't need insurance. I get the same services in Living Social for $69 dollars. This insurance company is a joke.

I have been trying to get a sleep approval (in lab) study since 9/28. I have been given the run around since then. They have told me it has been escalated 3 times and every time I call (10/5, 10/12, 10/14, 10/18) I find out they will escalate it because no decision has been made. I was told it was with the director on 10/14 and would have a decision by 10/17. It's now 10/18 and now I am told they need to do a peer to peer before it gets escalated to the director. What a bunch of bs! This company sucks! If my company wasn't so damn cheap, we'd have better health insurance. Worst. Insurance. Ever!!!

Cigna requires you to do a yearly wellness exam to keep premiums low. So I choice a in network doctor, and done my wellness exam. Cigna denied the claim saying out of network doctor. So I call them. They say the doctor's office used the wrong network code. The doctors office says the paperwork is correct. Meanwhile I have been attempting to try to get cigna to cover this claim for three months. I done what I was supposed to do. I choice a in network doctor off their list, and now they deny me based on an error on paperwork that I have never seen. There's no point in having insurance if they don't pay claims.

Cigna does not honor the terms of their healthcare insurance plan with regard to co-pay obligations. They are also not in agreement with my doctors about what is a preventive activity that would be fully covered by my plan and what is a diagnostic activity that Cigna will only cover a portion of after a $6000 deductible is reached. This company seems willing to do virtually anything not to pay a claim according to their contract obligations. I have constant issues with Cigna over virtually every doctor visit. All of my doctors have confirmed to me that they find this company to be the worst of all insurance companies for them to try to work with and that my bad experiences with Cigna are also happening to other patients they have with Cigna.

My doctors are part of the UMASS Memorial Hospital system in and near Worcester, MA. My doctors are all contracted to be Cigna CareLink Member doctors by UMass at the group level. However, Cigna continues to deny this and charges me co-pays as if the doctors were out of network and not Cigna Care Members. I had a 3 way call, of myself, Cigna and the top person at UMASS Patient Financial Services to attempt to resolve this. The UMass Dept head was armed with the contracts in hand for the discussion. Only after a great deal of difficulty did Cigna acquiesce to the facts on paper that the doctor in question was a Cigna CareLink Member doctor. A reference was put on file at Cigna ** and Cigna said they would reprocess the claim to correct the error.

Several weeks went by and I was re-billed without any correction. It turns out that Cigna sent the claim to their Claims dept to reprocess it and the Claims Dept would not do so. They stated that the claim was processed correctly - that the doctor in question was not a Cigna Care Link doctor - and would not be changed. Upon contacting Cigna, their customer service stated that they had included documentation from the call and reference ** to their claims dept to support reprocessing the claim and that they could not explain why claims did not accept it. I then asked about how to gain access to supervisors in their "rogue" unlawful Claims Dept. I was told that Claims cannot be reached. They have no phone numbers you can call and there are no people that you can talk to - that this group is fully insulated and unreachable.

Cigna said that their own customer service people can only contact Claims by email and they have no power to overrule decisions made by claims or change what seems to be a purposeful violation of the contracted agreement. I am still waiting for a supervisor's callback from Cigna Customer Service. Personally, I think that government regulators should investigate and file suit against Cigna, complaints should be filed with the state AG, and that class action suits should be pursued in order to address what seems to be blatant and intentional wrongdoing in an organization set up to shield itself from any oversight or corrective actions in meeting its contractual legal obligations. This is only 1 of many ethical issues with this company.

My advice to everyone is avoid this company like the plague. They seem to be an intentionally criminal organization. UMass Patient Financial Services has said they have done what they could do and could only suggest that I take this matter up through my employer - as Cigna is not honoring the contract that the employer has with Cigna for the company's employees.

I have been a Cigna customer for over 1 yr. My insurance comes out of a very hard earned paycheck from Bethesda Health. On 09/30, I lost my ** inhaler. It was due to be refilled on 09/06. I contacted Cigna and was told, "nothing we can do. Have to pay for it full price, $343.92." CVS offered me the same, as did American Express. Want to thank you all. You care nothing about the welfare of your customer. You should be ashamed. I am.

I was told by a surgeon that is in Cigna's medical network I needed surgery to repair multiple hernias in abdominal area. I want a repair two weeks early for this procedure only to be told by the hospital the night before the operation that Cigna has denied the claim stating that it could be done in outpatient status rather than inpatient status. I called Cigna and found out they use a nurse, not a Dr. to review the cases and I am not sure the nurse is qualified in the same field as the procedure to be done. THIS put my life in direct line of danger and will be a case for a lawyer in the near future. I had the procedure done on a Friday and there were 8 hernias to be repaired. The hospital released me since the all knowing nurse in some field of pediatrics I suspect had said that is what need to be done.

The next afternoon I was back at the hospital in the ER because of not being able to pass water. They admitted me after a test determining that my kidneys had failed from being unable to pass water. This in turn caused other organs to fail and they had to infuse two pints of blood. This is because the all seeing, all knowing pediatrics nurse. This is a shame to the U.S for this company to say care about customers. They also want records of ALL lab work done for a period of two years which is an invasion of medical rights involving any procedures they had nothing to do with. If there was a way to give a company a negative rating below 0, this company would win hands down.

If you do value your health, pay a veterinarian out of pocket for your care instead of paying Cigna any money. Their methods are barbaric and probably in line with the female CEO that raised the price of the pedipen by 700%. Yes this company is in it for the money and not their clients. I could see if they used Doctors to review the claims and may have an argument but using a nurse, maybe qualified in diaper removal and waste weight in pediatrics is not the way to go. After wearing a catheter for two weeks I am finally out of that. But trust me, Cigna has not heard the end of this by far. I hope someone reading reviews of Cigna does read this and goes on to someone else. DO NOT let them endanger your life.

I have spent around 10 hours on the phone with Cigna and another 10 hours preparing information they told me to prepare in order for them to refund my medical claim. They told me different things every time, lose information, and stall constantly. I will never subscribe to CIGNA ever again.

I connected online to a rep to make sure a specialist would be covered under my plan. I was assured that the practice was covered but that it couldn't be billed in the doctor's name. It had to be in the practice name. Lo and behold I receive $600 in fees from the office because they are not covered by the local plan version of my plan. Apparently she didn't look. I am online again to see what Cigna will do to remedy this. I doubt anything though. Oh and of course they keep no log of chats. I never received the emailed copy I requested either.

The Cigna Website for Participants to manage incentives and goals in an effort to reduce the premiums is misleading. It does not update within a timely manner. It takes over 4 days after an EOB has been processed for the points to appear. The goals and verbiage are not clearly defined. You do not get 25 points for your annual physical and your annual screenings, even though they are displayed as separate goals. If your doctor does not include the preventative care CDT code on your screening labs and procedures, you will not get credit. These incentives equal $1200 reduction in your premium!!! So, yes this is a BIG deal.

I called yesterday to find the name of an affiliated pharmacy near Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN which is out of state. Jezett was the operator. I spent 53 min on the phone and never got an answer. She asked me to spell the name of the antibiotic, 3 times and then wanted the dosing (which I didn't know). She asked me to spell Vanderbilt twice. She asked for my date of birth twice. She asked for my daughter's date of birth twice. All of this and she didn't give the name of a single pharmacy. She just kept putting on hold. She told me that I would need to get prior authorization and that would take me 7-10 days.

She finally supplied me with: "State of Tennessee Bureau of Pharmacy" and the phone number and told me that this was where I should fill the prescription. I asked again to speak to a supervisor. My cell phone finally went dead after >5 minutes waiting to talk to a supervisor and over 53 minutes. I paid for the drug out of pocket. I have complained to the allegiance customer service and so far have only gotten confirmation that they have my complaint.

Cigna is by far the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with! I had to have a fusion in my back 11 years ago. Now have a problem with the disc above it. Every couple of years my back pain flares up and adds numbness/weakness to my right leg making life unbearable. I cannot stand for long, sit for long or do anything productive. I have tried conservative treatments MANY times in past. They always fail. My spinal doc ends up doing a spinal injection of steroids and within 3 days pain is gone and I am back to a normal way of life.

My company was bought out this year and I had no choice but to switch to them, and then my back flared up again. Went to the provider oral steroids, exercises, nothing working so they ordered an injection on 9/1/16. After at least 10 phone calls I found out Cigna uses a 3rd party company called Evercore for these types of approvals and guess what? To my surprise procedure DENIED. I am unable to stop the pain and they are refusing me the only treatment to ever help.

So I am just supposed to lay here and take it. Well obviously the provider is appealing the decision but in the meantime, me, the one suffering has to take it and endure ongoing pain for absolutely no reason at all. I am considering paying myself for the procedure as I know it will work. I contacted them and Evercore about their decision and they REFUSED to let me speak to the nurse who did the denial or the medical director who runs that department. To say I am angry for them causing me unnecessary pain and suffering is an understatement! I am considering changing jobs after 11 years purely because of the lack of choices I have in insurance providers. This country has to stop insurance companies from directing care and taking it out of the hands of providers. Something has got to change!!!

Ok, they got back to me and said they could do an in home sleep study in which I go get the stuff, take it home, follow directions, and return back to them. The test is scheduled for ~2 months from now. This will be a 4 1/2 month time duration from when the doctors wanted me to have a sleep study to actually having it.

I asked Cigna why they denied my benefits. They told me that I was too healthy for the inhouse testing. I stated to them that my primary care and pulmonary doctors recommended the sleep study. I asked Cigna if they knew better about my health care than did my doctors. It's all about money, not proper health care.

I update my rating from zero stars to one star.

Andrew of Blue Springs, MO on

Original Review

When your primary care doctor and your pulmonary doctor tell you that you need to get a sleep study done ASAP, the insurance company should never deny you that care. I found out the day before my test that insurance would not cover this badly needed diagnostic. Cigna, I hope you go bankrupt and that your management stays unemployed for extended periods of time.

I don't know if I should be relieved that I am not alone in my horrible experiences with Cigna, or more horrified that so many other people are actually paying, like me, to be treated like this. My husband was diagnosed with cancer 6 months ago. Cigna has denied every single CT scan and MRI his Oncologist has ordered. While most of them have eventually been approved, it has added an incredible amount of stress and anxiety to what is already an incredibly stressful time. It has also wasted hours of time for the doctors and nurses who are trying to provide care for my husband and others like him.

I work in Healthcare so I can easily research if my husband is receiving the standard of care, which he is, so Cigna has no cause to deny any of these tests, except to be obnoxious and deliberately harmful to the consumers who pay for their coverage. What is worse is that the Healthcare system I work for would choose a company like this to "provide" this kind of care for its employees, with the enormous number of complaints on file. This is proof that the system is broken. Cigna is proud of the horrible way they treat their customers. They only care about money. Taking it, not paying it!

Terrible, terrible customer service! I spoke to Lexae and she sounded sleepy on the phone. She put me on hold for 20 minutes and came back with an answer that I already know. I said I was gonna file an appeal on the claim that was short paid and she argued with me that it's past timely filing. When I asked for a call reference number, she hang up the phone!!! This is not the first time I came across with bad customer service rep. They are lazy and rude!!!

Calling Cigna is even more impossible than dealing with their website which is a Maze of options and misinformation when it is available. Most of the time I try to use it, it is not working or sends me to the wrong department. I called Cigna this eve to try to find out where I could buy Durable Medical Equipment that could be shipped to my APO or where I might buy the same supplies here in Germany. Simple, right? Wrong!!!

I have so far this evening spent over 2 hours on the telephone, mostly on hold waiting for people to verify information or to call one another to see if what I said was true, or to find out the answers to the simple questions I was asking. They do not have answers to anything. Why don't they just say, "Please hold while I Google that." I finally got a hold of a Supervisor who was able to make sense of the BS and get me on the road to actually getting answers. Note to self: "Speak only to Supervisors named Elaine."

Has to go down as one of the worst Insurance Provider ever. I work for an Indian MNC on deputation. When you are here for few years, the least you'd expect is to save some money. But that's what even the Insurance Provider wants for itself, and we end up shelling out more than 60% of the share. That's how brutal and insensitive this company is.

You go to a physician for a health checkup and the insurance provider says that the Lab services which undertook was out-of-service. Really? You expect us to go through these lame terms before going for a checkup? It seems, going to an in-network doctor won't suffice. Utterly disgraceful experience with this company, and I'm forced to stick with it, regardless of my complaints. Do yourself a favor. If you're not forced to be with this company don't bother to look at their schemes, they're as fraudulent as it can get. Their Dental schemes are even worse than the medical. Somebody needs to take some serious action against these guys for trapping their clients and fooling around starving for money.

The high cost of bad health care can be explained by Cigna. Cigna denies claims and procedures that are necessary. They'll make you get 20+ X-rays, 20 physical therapy visits, see 5 doctors and then maybe agree to your MRI which is what you needed to begin with. In my case, I'm paying a high deductible and they still are denying an MRI that I'm paying for. They gladly pay for procedures and services that are inappropriate. They offer wellness coaching and after they have you answer 20 questions, you find their coaches can't coach you on anything specific or anything a fourth grader doesn't already know.

The Cigna coaches actually call customers at home because no customer would ever call them. I guess they need to justify their jobs. Their customer service people know almost nothing. They just say it's not their department. Prepare to be on the phone for hours. They are mostly located off-shore, in my experience. Dominican, Jamaican, Philippines... Their nurse advocates don't even know basic medical terminology but maybe because they are in the Philippines. It could be a language barrier. They can't advocate because they are either ignorant or not really allowed to advise you BUT, after you wait on the phone for 30 minutes they can advise you to go see your doctor or go to the ER - Really, I called a nurse advocate and waited 30 minutes for this advice - scary! Scary! What patient in distress would even use such a service.

Cigna, like many other US companies, is a company that takes a lot of US taxpayer (Medicare/Medicaid) money to employ people overseas. Their 1-800 people can't give you basic info. I was on the phone for 20 minutes today with one person who couldn't find a phone number or email address for a customer complaint! 20 minutes! He handed me off to his supervisor for another 20 minutes. 10 minutes waiting, 10 explaining the problem all over. I actually had an American earlier who spoke with very poor grammar hang up on me because I was insulting Cigna! I guess her idea of a customer complaint was equivalent to insulting Cigna.

I actually don't mind that Cigna gives US jobs to overseas people in distressed countries if they actually could help me or answer a question or reroute me to the correct person. Incompetent or under-trained employees are not saving anyone money. Their "find a doctor" only gives you list of Cigna providers. You end up using Google if you need a good referral. It is next to impossible to file a consumer complaint against a healthcare facility, or provider or even Cigna customer service. I would think this could lead to fraud but Cigna would never know. Most people aren't going to jump through the hoops and search for forms or hang on the line for two hours getting redirected to the same people.

The amount of useless wellness mail and phone calls I get are a pure waste of paper, money and time. Cigna offers these worthless services for marketing purposes. It is to make them look good or meet some government guideline. I am totally irritated that I have this plan and we have one of their best plans. The high premiums we pay cover these worthless unnecessary "only-for-show" programs.

TO Cigna: if you read these reviews - do you care that you have a ONE-STAR RATING? Do your executives and shareholders know how much money is blown on hiring inexpensive offshore people and under-educated Americans who are under-trained? Do they know how abusive Cigna's processes are to their customers and negligent to American taxpayers and investors. You ought to stick to just efficiently finding good providers and paying bills. You need to hire competent CS people and train them and you need to eliminate all of your useless brochures, phone service coaching and wellness. This advice and all the time you have wasted of mine is free to you. You're welcome.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.
  • Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.
  • Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.
  • Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.
  • Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Students