Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Cigna Health Insurance
1.40/5

Cigna Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

843 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 14, 2019

So far they've been wonderful and most everything is paid for, just one MRI scan was not. I have not fully utilized the plan however, since my health is pretty good overall. The customer service is good, wellness visits have been free as well as bloodwork. I do wish I had more of a choice of doctors, clinics. I like the free gym club membership as I stay active. I use the Advantage plan.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I like Cigna. They have very good customer service, provide answers and such with a reasonable time frame, and are always ready to help me. I have had several insurance policies in my long past, and Cigna is one I would use again. I have not had trouble getting any service. They are there to help me with options. I feel they care!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have been with Cigna for over 30 yrs. I am a single woman with medical problems that require dr visits, lab work & prescriptions as well as several surgeries. I could never afford the medical attention I need without an HMO. I have a dr I like & the facility is close to where I live so it's convenient for me. As I age my medical problems seem to increase & multiply so Medicare premium is a life saver for me.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Answer phone with name to i.d. who you are speaking to. Quick understanding of questions and prompt response with answer, or how to get the problem solved. They are polite and very pleasant, do not leave you on hold, and thank you for your patience and ask if there are my other other questions you need answered.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Called CIGNA for help with a claim incurred by my daughter while out of state. Service was exceptionally polite and efficient. The agent solved both the hospital and provider claims, volunteering to call the billing company of the ER physician. All in all, he provided a top-notch level of service, exceeding my expectations.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

My wonderful ** insurance company didn't inform me that my current physician that I have been using for months is now out of network after switching to a new health plan they offered. Pushing bill on me without even adjustment to the cost even after I met my deductible for the year! Total ripoff!!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I reached out to Cigna to have my knee checked out because I injured it on Memorial Day during a run. After paying the fees and procedures for the x-ray, MRI, The doctor that Cigna provided me with diagnosed it as a torn meniscus. Doctor scheduled surgery had further labs and x-rays done to make sure I was clear for the surgical procedure (time away from work) all to be told the day before that I was denied for surgery because I hadn’t undergone physical therapy which was the advice of a 2nd peer Cigna provided not of my choosing. More money to pay. Mind you It was a good 2 months of my doing my own type of therapy prior to even seeing a doctor. So of course I’m pissed because I have everything set up for surgery day.

I also had another colleague who had the same injury torn meniscus on the right knee, he required no physical therapy or meds prior to his procedure. We just had different doctors. I demanded to go up the latter to have my surgery because it’s been months already on this bum knee. I eventually got forwarded to the “Director” Nicole whom laughed at me, and basically told me my doctor had to do another peer to peer for the surgery to be approved. Complete BS! I pay money out of my pocket for this lousy Insurance and for a LAME director to sit behind her desk and laugh at my pain. Glad I’m funding her paychecks!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

This insurance company charges an arm and a leg with minimal coverages and high deductibles! Literally can’t afford to use the insurance we pay for! Our son needs his impacted wisdom teeth removed. They are growing sideways and moving his teeth that we paid $6,000 for braces on. The braces been only been off a year! Only help I got was “sorry ma’am, that kind of oral surgery is not in your plan”. What the hell kind of insurance company is this?!?

Resolution response: Aug. 17, 2019

After posting this review, I was contacted by Cigna and the claim denial was explained. The denial was for the hospital and will not cause me to incur additional charges. Changing my rating to 5 stars as this was the only time I've had an issue with Cigna. Other then this one issue, Cigna has actually been a good insurance company to work with.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

On July 23rd I had been having pain on my left side for a couple of days. Thinking it might just be a pinched nerve I decided to call the Cigna nurse line and get their opinion. After speaking with the nurse and answering various health related questions, the nurse told me to go to the ER within the hour. I went to an in network hospital's ER department and was very quickly admitted to the hospital for observation and was scheduled for a stress test the next morning. The following day I was taken for the stress test and was told I have a 90% blockage in one artery, 60% in another and would need a stent. Stent placement was scheduled for the following morning. Once again, I was kept in the hospital and not released.

The following morning a stent was placed and during placement of the stent or maybe during the stress test they found that there was a valve leaking and decided they needed to evaluate the extent of leakage. Another night in the hospital. The following morning I was taken for more testing and it was determined that the leak was minor to moderate. Finally, I was released.

After returning home, I received a letter from Cigna stating that the final day in the hospital was NOT COVERED. I am in a state of shock over this denial of coverage. Cigna's "doctors" decided I was able to care for myself and my condition was stable (final diagnosis from the cardiologist was a mild heart attack) and therefore should have been sent home.

What happens between the hospital, doctors and insurance company is one thing, but expecting someone who just had a heart attack and has zero medical training to just decide it's time to get up and leave the hospital due to fear of coverage denial is another thing entirely! Cigna has denied the claim, and I will be expected to cover the expense myself! This is NOT RIGHT!

The doctors did not release me. My only option, if I had even thought of it, would have been to simply get dressed and leave the hospital wearing the IV. Although the ER drs told me patients leaving with IV's in their arms are subject to legal actions and police would be called. I guess my other option would have been to remove the IV myself and then leave. Either way, this was totally out of my control.

The bottom line is this: I was sent to ER by Cigna's own nurse line, as I was having a heart attack, that was good advice by Cigna. From then on, I was no longer in control of what was happening. I put my faith into the doctors and staff at Swedish Medical Center. They are an amazing caring group of people and took very good care of me during a difficult time. Now Cigna is punishing me for taking their advice.

Should I simply have ignored them and gone to a chiropractor the following day for a potential pinched nerve? Had I gone into full cardiac arrest and died would that have been less expensive on their bottom line? Are they expecting patients to get some medical training prior to having medical issues so they will know when to leave a hospital, released by doctors or not? Should I have demanded 2nd/3rd opinions by doctors in the hospital to ensure the prescribed testing was necessary and that staying in the hospital was also necessary?

As patients and consumers, are we expected to know all of this if admitted to a hospital during a medical emergency? How can an insurance company deny coverage to a patient "after" the fact. Yes, the denial came "after" I was released. Cigna requires Pre-certification for in patient care, even in an emergency. However, they do not follow thru with approval/denial until days later. The patient could have died by the time approval or denial is granted in an emergency situation.

In the meantime, I am very very reluctant to do anything requiring medical attention without first verifying with Cigna that it will be approved. That includes subsequent heart attacks. I will be using a new insurance company as soon as I am able to switch. I will never ever ever use Cigna again if there is any way around it.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I have a Corporate Health Insurance through Cigna Global. I have very severe Sleep Apnea problem and the sleep study doctor advised me to get CPAP machine and notified Cigna. Cigna has multiple vendors whom they call providers. CareCentrix is one of them and it is actually not a provider. We can call them a middle man. They gave the contract to Aura Health Care and they have contacted me from the beginning over the device. Cigna took a 6 months rental for the device and neither CareCentrix not Aura health care informed me over this before I took the device. I was under the assumption that the device was purchased. Nowhere in my benefits it is mentioned Cigna can take a medical equipment and not even notify the customers.

I took the device at the end of September 2018 and got bills nearly in the middle of January 2019. I kept calling them for the billing information but neither Care Centrix nor Cigna confirmed about the bills or rentals properly and who would pay what. I met all my deductibles of 2018 and I was under the assumption Cigna would take care of the device. It was at the end of Jan 2019 I started getting the device rentals from this year and Cigna and CareCentrix simply answering you need to meet this year deductibles and you need to pay the rentals for whatever is left from 2018. I had very unpleasant, unhappy and a total time wasting calls with these crooks. I could not even pay my bills properly as CareCentrix website is a total crap and again I had to call their website managing company InstaMed multiple times.

It was total cheating and they expect me to pay for the rentals which they did not even notify me before I took the device. I raised an appeal and the appeals team rejected without even explaining proper reason.. Their answer was as per my benefits. Nowhere in my benefits it is mentioned Cigna can take rentals for device without notifying consumers. I raised a complaint at our Company Insurance department and some Cigna representative called and asked to send 2nd level complaint through post which I did and after 3 months another rejection came with same answer. This time my company insurance department too gave up. Cigna and their vendors are big time liars and cheaters and they use hidden rules to loot consumers. There is no legal action on this company from anybody. Please try not to take this insurance. They don't have any corporate ethics.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information