1.22/5

705 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Cigna Health will go to great lengths to keep from paying authorized and/or covered claims. After a year of phone calls, faxes and other correspondence, Cigna Health Management approved a prior authorization request covering Botox injections (for every 3 months, for 1 year) as treatment for jaw-closing oromandibular dystonia. The request was submitted by an in-network dentist. DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) was clearly written on the prior authorization request next to the dentist's signature. Cigna has refused to cover the claim submitted as a dental claim (because there are no appropriate A.D.A. codes for the procedure or diagnosis). The Cigna customer service representative said to file the claim again, this time as a medical/pharmacy claim.

Cigna has refused to cover the claim submitted as a medical/pharmacy claim BECAUSE THE IN-NETWORK D.M.D. IS NOT AN IN-NETWORK MD. Cigna has given the claim to MultiPlan "to facilitate resolution". The proposed resolution agreement form requests the dentist accept $6.15 for a billed charge of $608.00 because the in-network D.M.D. provider is not an in-network M.D. After contacting a MultiPlan representative to discuss the proposed resolution, (which the dentist cannot/will not accept), the representative stated they do not handle the resolution of dental claims, only medical/pharmacy claims. The MultiPlan representative suggested contacting Cigna.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Cigna refused to cover my son's NICU bill even though it clearly states in their policy that newborns are covered under the mothers for the first 30 days. I spent months arguing with them and even my hospital could not believe that they were refusing coverage and talked to them. I ended up with the $80,000 bill that I am still paying off. Fast forward a year and I decide to get dental insurance with them because they are the cheapest and have good coverage. Anytime I call with an issue I have to sit on hold for hours and get transferred from person to person, with no one ever helping me. Cigna is the absolute WORST!!!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

This plan is awful. I hurt my shoulder. They denied the MRI. I lost both my parents to cardiac arrest and for 5 years in a row they have denied me stress test. If you're thinking of using Cigna. Don't do it.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Learned today from my oncologist that CIGNA employees receive incentive bonuses for denying a certain amount of services each quarter. My Drs have instructed me to get regular scans to monitor my health yet they continue to get denied by CIGNA contractors who know absolutely nothing about my health background. Do anything you can to avoid this insurance.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I followed the instructions. I needed to be covered on October 1st to have a prescription refilled. It is October 2nd and I have not received my insurance card, so I called. Didn't do me any good though. They can see in the system that I have coverage but they refuse to give me my membership #. I have to wait for the card to arrive in the mail. I'm out of meds but oh well. I chose them because they are the cheapest and that is my fault. I should eat less and wear the same clothes till I can't sew them together anymore so that I can afford to spend more on health insurance. Then I could get better coverage. When will America wake up and start to fight to be better - not just for the rich but for everyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I had a repair and buildup of a tooth in September of last year and my dentist office estimated that Cigna would pay about 717 dollars. Instead, Cigna gave them the runaround for 8 months before only paying half that much. Now I'm on the hook for the remaining amount after moving and not being in the financial state I was when I got the procedure done. Don't trust Cigna to pay what your dentist thinks they will pay. Don't trust them at all.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I joined a Cigna Network Savings plan in August 2018 and paid $179 plus a $20 non-returnable application fee. When I discovered my dentist is not listed, I wanted to switch to a dental insurance plan. I was then told that is not possible, as these are two "different departments". I then joined an insurance plan and paid the first monthly dues on September 10, effective October 1. I called "the other department" to cancel my savings plan and now, 17 days later, after spending an hour on the phone with Cigna, where they hung up on me twice, it is now clear that my insurance was cancelled and I was advised to join again. Thank you, but I will take my business anywhere else. Of course, not a word about any refunds yet.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Every claim is denied for different reasons. I had colonoscopy. It was denied because it was billed as diagnostic instead of preventative. I had a bone scan to see if my osteopenia had progressed. They paid for it 2 years ago. It was denied this time because my Drs. office is in a hospital and was billed thru the hospital. It has to be done in a Drs. office not hospital or outpatient. I had called Cigna and had procedures pre-authorized and told them where they would be done. I was not told they would not be covered. I have glaucoma and have to have eye exam every 6 mos. I normally pay only my co-pay until last year. Cigna would not pay for all of the exam, because they no longer pay for one exam I must have. Cigna keeps changing their coverage as they receive claims. It seems they are laughing at the consumers as they make changes that the insured would never know about, and the changes are not listed in provided Cigna material.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Called Cigna to cancel a dental policy. The call itself took 15 minutes as they had to ensure they had the correct mailing, and contact information for me. After going through that, they said the policy was cancelled. Two months later, I receive overdue notices that the policy is now delinquent. When I call back on the day I receive the letter, I say I previously cancelled the account, but continue to get billed, and now a delinquency notice. The operator once again refuses to do anything until she confirm my mailing, and contact information (going so far to ask if the number I am calling from is a work, home or mobile number).

The operator then reviews my notes and says I in-fact called to cancel, and said "it happens." No apology whatsoever for taking more of my time (and theirs). When I ask why this call will have a different outcome than the first, they respond by saying "because you are talking to me." What crap. If you want cheap service, and horrible customer services, Cigna is for you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have had Cigna /Samba Federal Health Plan since 2010 without issue - until these past few months. Apparently, Cigna now uses a 3rd party to determine medical necessity. A request for an MRI of my neck to determine what/why my right arm is numb, painful, tingling has been denied. The list of hoops they want me to jump through before they might actually reverse their decision is extensive - neurological exam, physical therapy, x-ray, spinal manipulation, to name only a few. One would think that with spinal stenosis, bone spurs, bulging discs, osteoarthritis, and degenerative disc disease any reasonable medical panel would see a need for an MRI. My medical provider tells me that the longer it takes to figure out what is causing the numbness, the more likely it is that I will suffer permanent nerve damage.

I also recently received a letter regarding one of my prescriptions - a muscle relaxer, the only one that works out of about 5 I've tried so far - Cigna will pay for 84 every 3 months, as opposed to the 90 each month that the doctor deems appropriate. Fortunately, I will be able to afford to pay for this prescription out of pocket as that will be the only way I can continue to get the quantity the doctor normally prescribes.

In addition, I have started noticing that most of the EOB's I receive indicate my provider is "not contracted to provide this service" and as such, Cigna isn't paying a dime toward those visits - the visits they ARE paying for pays a fraction of what is being billed which is leaving me with a pile of medical bills. Why am I paying for an insurance policy that, for the most part, isn't helping with my healthcare. I would be better served to simply drop my insurance and put that money in the bank as oftentimes, paying cash for a visit gets you a discounted rate.

Ultimately, an insurance clerk at a local medical facility told me that Cigna is one of worst insurances regarding approval of diagnostic testing and that this has come about in the last few months. I am totally fed up and will be dropping Cigna at the time of our next open enrollment. If you are looking for medical insurance I would highly recommend you consider doing some research and NOT throw your money away - my insurance card is now not much more than an expensive piece of paper.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Cheap worthless insurance. Companies probably get it for employees because it is cheaper than almost all other insurances. Any insurance that refuses to pay and you get hundreds of dollars in bills IS WORTHLESS. PROS: Cheap - which is why employers get it. CONS: everything else. Most ER doctors will send you $1000 bill. They refused to pay for blood work ordered by doctor for new patient. Most good doctors are hesitant to take this insurance - it probably tells them what to do and what not in treating patients.

A hospital may be "Participating" ie in Plan, but their doctors may not be in Plan - meaning out of plan deductibles apply. So if you go to Hospital ask every person that comes in contact with you whether they take Cigna - most will shrug and say I do not know and then send you a unpaid bill. We have Autistic kids, that makes it worse; if Cigna refuses to pay so does Medicaid. We would have been better off without this BS insurance - at least for my kid's Medicaid would cover.

They send you hundreds of letters most saying coverage refused. They probably spend more money on mailings than they do on actual treatments - this is a typical America style corporate scam. You will notice the refusals increase as soon as you have met your deductible. And if urgent care charges you $70 per visit without insurance, with this insurance they charge you $140!!! And they approve them - of course when your deductible is not met and you actually end up paying for it. Again as soon as the deductible is met, they start refusing. Do not waste time running behind these private insurance scams. VOTE FOR MEDICARE FOR ALL. End our torture. PLEASE.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

THE WORST HEALTH INSURANCE EVER. My family and me have Cigna for more than one year and we always paid everything to have the best health plan at all (which is always very expensive). Now I did an endoscopy exam and it shows that I have reflux, which a lot of people have in all over the world. Cigna just call me now saying that they would not pay the exam and believe it or not, they are not going to pay me anymore anything related to gastro or intestinal subjects. SHAME ON CIGNA GLOBAL!! THEY CHEAT THE CLIENTS!!! CIGNA NEVERMORE!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Called CIGNA for help with a claim incurred by my daughter while out of state. Service was exceptionally polite and efficient. The agent solved both the hospital and provider claims, volunteering to call the billing company of the ER physician. All in all, he provided a top-notch level of service, exceeding my expectations.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I am writing this review on Consumer Affairs because people need to know how shady Cigna and their business partners really are. I need a 4 wheel rollator to help me get around because I have arthritis in both knees. This all started May 2018. I called Cigna to make sure I was covered and they told me I was. Cigna also informed me they have an internal company, aka "middleman" aka "roadblock" called CARECENTRIX who would handle the coordination of getting my 4 wheel rollator. In May, I went to see my doctor and she wrote a prescription for a bariatric rollator. I didn't have a model in mind but I figured I would get something decent. CARECENTRIX had Apria Medical locate a 30 pound, heavy, bulky rollator for me. One I couldn't possibly lift to put in my car trunk. I told Apria I didn't want the bulky rollator and they canceled the order.

Before I hung up with Apria they told me if I didn't want something so heavy and cumbersome that I would need to be specific. Apria told me to go online, locate the rollator I wanted and have my doctor write a revised prescription. I wanted to make sure Apria was giving me good info so I called Cigna AND then CARECENTRIX and they both confirmed I needed to have my doctor put a specific model, part number on the revised prescription. All of the above started in May 2018. On August 10, 2018, I was notified by Cigna/CARECENTRIX that my 4 wheel rollator was denied and sent me a denial letter. I am fighting this and wrote a long letter to appeal their decision. It was Cigna/Carecentrix/Apria who told me to go on the internet, select a specific model number, model name and I was still denied. I am so disappointed with Cigna, CARECENTRIX and Apria for lying to me and giving me bad information.

It is now September 8, 2018 and Cigna is dragging their heels in reviewing my appeal letter. It's been going on over 4 months and walking, standing on my bad knees is painful and it's difficult to get around my apartment. I am reduced to using two walking canes to balance myself and to even out the weight on my knees. The rollator I want costs around $200.00. Cigna is acting like I'm asking for a $50,000 rollator dipped in platinum and lined with diamonds and painted with flames. I also posted reviews on other websites, I refuse to let Cigna off the hook.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The wife is unable to use her right arm, two doctors say it may be rotator cuff problem. Cigna was sent a request for an MRI which they turned down and approved x-ray stating if she has the still has the problem in six months they would review the case again per the doctor. I advise against taking insurance with them, my wife and I both have them.

Updated on 9/15/18: This is a follow up on wife shoulder. I sent email and finally got a call saying MRI was denied for lack of details and would receive letter stating such. But I still haven't received letter or any further communications from them. I have an appointment with attorney next week. At this point can't see any other route to go but a lawsuit. But starting tonight all churches I play music in my testimony will be to advise people against this company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My husband had his prostate removed in late June 2018 due to cancer. The surgery went very well and it didn't show any spreading, the margins were clear. 3 weeks later he took another PSA test to get a base reading. It should have been zero since his prostate was removed. It was 55, which means there is still cancer somewhere. It may be in the bed of the prostate or is it somewhere else? The Dr ordered an Axium Petscan which is supposed to be better at seeing something like this, but of course Cigna said no.

Then the Dr requested a Choline pet scan which isn't much different from the other and they approved this one. But, he would have to fly out of state to get it! Now the Dr is repealing the first one requested but we wait and wait. If it is denied again, he will ask for a peer to peer which means another long wait. In the meantime, his PSA just went up to 95. So scary and frustrating to be at the mercy of an insurance company when your life is in the balance.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

In July, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Since then Cigna has sent me letters questioning the medical necessity of various scans and tests. Today, Cigna denied my pre auth for my Oncotype dx test- this test calculates the rate of cancer recurring in my body. My doctor needs this test to know if I need chemo. Cigna doesn't care that I have cancer. Cigna is delaying my care.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Do not choose Cigna as your health insurance carrier. They would rather spend money on TV ads, hiring TV stars on the ads. But they would try to save their money by denying the requests that your medical doctors deem necessary. They would make your life miserable, full of anxiety because you have to fight for your benefits.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Okay Cigna, we are officially in a fight. I have never had beef with you as my employer provided medical insurance. I have actually been grateful for you!! I was grateful for you up until recently. The customer service that I have received from your company in the past has been amazing. Anytime when I have had an issue or a question about coverage, you have always helped explain things in an easy to understand manner. I also really love your “Doctor’s Poses” commercial, it makes me laugh every time I see it.

Why now do I beef with you, you may ask. I will tell you why. My beef with you actually has to do with one of your employees misquoting the coverage of a procedure that I had. I knew prior to the procedure that I could possibly have an out of pocket cost for said procedure. I requested that my doctor’s office call you (as my insurance provider) to determine what my portion would be, whether it would be applied to my deductible or not, did not matter to me at the time. I was solely interested in being fully informed of the amount of money that I would need to pay out of pocket. I understand how insurance works. I understand that sometimes my out of pocket portion is applied to my deductible until my deductible is met.

My doctor’s office called you (Cigna) on January 9th, 2018. I had my procedure done on March 26th, 2018. The problem with my scenario is that your employee quoted that the procedure was covered at 100% with no deductible requirement. The employee at my doctor’s office has records of this conversation and a reference number for the conversation. So, I had the procedure done, thinking that the procedure was 100% covered. My doctor’s office thought this as well.

Lo and behold. It was not covered and my out of pocket portion ended up being $673.07. Which I would have had no problem at all paying had I been previously informed. The fact of the matter is that I did my due diligence and so did my doctor’s office. The party that dropped the ball in this scenario is your employee. I personally feel that, if you want to take this portion of money out of someone’s pocket, it should not be mine nor my doctor’s office’s. You and your employee should be held liable for this mistake. What gets me even more heated is the fact that my doctor’s office knew all of this and the company that they fall under (CaroMont Health) submitted an appeal on both of our behalves for the amount that was promised by your employee. The appeal was denied. Denied!!! Infuriating!!!

So after you (Cigna) denied their (CaroMont Health’s) appeal, I reached back out for the third or fourth time. I have spoken to a few of your employees now and every time they put me on hold to look into the January 9th conversation (because I give them the reference number for that conversation) and every time your employee gets back on the phone with me and they confirm that your employee originally misquoted the coverage. I will repeat that. Your employee confirms the misquote!!! So my question is then, why haven’t you paid the portion that your employee originally committed you to, yet? Please explain it to me. Please take responsibility for your employee and their actions, after all you did/do choose to employ them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Can I give minus star? There has to be a way to give you guys minus stars or Zero Stars. Your claim department especially dental claim and your online representative and phone representative must be living in different planets as they have no coordination. One gives approval, other denies and third do the same after wasting 2 days of precious time. A procedure which is covered by insurance-after my dental office got approval and I got approval too from Cigna - was denied by dental claim dept. Here is the EPIC RESPONSE from the most intelligent group of people "Although the procedure is covered but necessity is not met..." Really! You based that on what? Nobody even bother to get X-rays and records from Doctor's office and now telling me to go labor department for complaint. Surely I will do it and I will make sure to raise awareness about your pathetic and frustrating services.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Have been trying to cancel my insurance with Cigna since more than a week. Their insurance policy clearly states that it is possible to cancel the contract at any time with a 7 days written notice. I have been writing emails to them nearly every day for a week and they just refused to cancel my insurance for no reason email after email. They even tried to sell me the same plan for a lower price just to keep me on their insurance. The contract should have been cancelled already, but for some reason their Customer Service stopped replying to my requests of termination. They were very fast and friendly when I signed up, but now they don't want to cancel it, despite what it is written in their policy rules.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I hate to say it but Cigna is the worst insurance company I’ve ever had. Their preauthorization process is ridiculous. If a doctor orders a simple test like a CT scan, do not be surprised when it is denied, even when you are facing cancer. This happened to me twice. They are currently asking for additional information on another medically necessary surgery I need to save my life. I received a letter today telling me they didn’t have enough information to determine if this was medically necessary. I had a head and neck CT scan.

They originally denied and months later let me have after several abnormal ultrasounds which showed 9 abnormal lymph nodes in my neck. Anyway, the head and neck CT prompted my doctor to order a chest CT as the first CT showed a possible chest mass. They denied my chest CT as medically unnecessary. When I called today, I was not allowed to speak to a supervisor and the customer service rep snickered and tried to over talk me. I’m on the verge of taking legal action against them. I can’t take this anymore. It’s my life we’re talking about here.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Cigna Insurance under the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners is horrible. This is the second time we have had them since I've been here. I was so glad when that had switched from them and very, disappointed when they decided to switch back. I fell down on my right foot due to it falling asleep. My foot ended up its side (inversion). I had immediate swelling and bruising. X-ray was done didn't show anything. I was also referred to a podiatrist by PCP and advise to stay off my foot, and RICE method. I have not been able to be at work, due to the nature of my job that requires me to be on my feet 90% of the time. The podiatrist examined my foot, explained to him what happened.

My foot is still swollen and badly bruised in I'm in pain. He felt there could be a possibility of a hairline fracture and/or ligament/tendon damage. He felt it warrant further looking at and order an MRI, of course Cigna denied the authorization stating that I needed to be treated by the doctor for at least 6 or 8 weeks of consecutive treatment. How is the doctor suppose to know how to treat me if he doesn't know the extent of my damage, I have never heard of something so absurd! He did put a soft cast and ordered me a boot to wear and stated to try and stay off of it as much as possible since we don't know the extent of the damage is at the moment and continue with the RICE method as well.

They schedule me to be seen again a couple of weeks later I'm still having pain, foot still bruised, not able to bear weight. He stated he would try to send a request through again to Cigna based on nothing has really changed. He schedule me to come back in another 4 weeks and to get another X-ray done at that time as well. Meanwhile I will have been out of work for 7 weeks at the time I go back to see him. Like I can afford to be out like this. I guess when Cigna authorize for me to have the MRI done 50 years from now I pray that it doesn't show where in need to have surgery or something to that extent done, then that means I will have to be out even longer, where if I did need something done, it could have been getting done and I could be healing properly. I just pray there is no long term or permanent damage to my foot. When it's all said and done I'm praying at next open enrollment my employer will get rid of Cigna.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

My husband was diagnosed with Progressive Multiple Sclerosis in February 2017. After the new IV treatment therapy, Ocruvus, was released in March 2017, his neurologist prescribed that medication. Cigna denied this medicine and requested him to try and fail on two older medicines that was not even prescribed for the "Progressive MS". After they finally approved the IV therapy in October 2017, he had to cleanse off all MS medicines for 6 weeks before he could start the IV treatment. He passed away 3 weeks into his cleanse. He was a young 55 years old and it was way too early for his life to be cut short due to someone's decision to NOT pay for the medication. I truly question the medical background and education of the team that approves or denies medicines and procedures for Cigna. Comments from a grieving widow.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Cigna's customer service needs serious improvement. Some operators are clearly incompetent or not properly trained to do their jobs (One kept insisting that I am on Medicare when I am not and had to pass me along to another agent who knew more). Some do not follow through on what they promise to do to clear up problems -- they don't call back with info as they promised to do or they don't correct the errors in their database that caused a problem with filling a prescription. Some have insisted that my policy did not cover medications that it positively DID and refused to let me speak to a supervisor. They claimed they didn't know the names of any supervisors or how to contact any(!!).

I've had to get my employer's HR department to call Cigna on several occasions and insist that Cigna pay for the medications that are covered by my policy. The Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy *seemed* like a good idea, but there are constant problems with filling prescriptions. You're not contacted when there is a problem, they just don't fill the ordered prescription. You just have to realize that the medication is overdue and then call Cigna to see why it wasn't mailed. A couple of days ago, I had a customer service staff member assure me repeatedly that she had placed my order for insulin when I called to see why my order hadn't been filled. I checked my insulin prescription on myCigna again today and found that she had NOT placed the order. Sigh.

When I called to check on the problem, today's customer service agent was combative and arrogant and accused me (mistakenly) of putting a hold on the prescription. Sigh again. It really has gotten to the point that I would rather lose the savings I receive through prescription home delivery and just get my meds through the local drug store. Though I *have* had one or two Cigna customer service agents who were pleasant and helpful, the majority have not been. Talking to customer service has largely been a demoralizing and battering experience. The company would benefit from some quality control in its customer service and pharmacy home delivery departments. Cigna's customers would benefit even more.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Cigna Insurance under the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners is one of the worst providers ever in my 29 years, 3 months and 6 days with the County. Leg, foot and knee pain so bad I can't sleep and hardly walk and now going on the 5th week. And they have drove the medical bills up to over $10,000 and only approved a PARTIAL pelvic MRI which told them nothing about where I had a cancerous lymph node as the test didn't cover that part of my pelvis and a Sonogram to discover a blood clot behind my knee. They have REFUSED to do a full pelvic MRI as ordered by a USF Orth doctor so he can see what is causing my leg issues.

They have argued with the doctor and have told the doctor they will only approve an X-ray of the pelvis. Not a CT or MRI. An X-ray shows basically NOTHING... The people who make these decisions should be charged criminally for abuse and neglect and murder when a denial results in something catastrophic being found in a late stage and it results in a death. I am to the point of having the test, paying for it out of pocket and seeking an Attorney... Something has to be done with these insurance companies. I sure wish Trump would snatch every one of them up by the seat of their pants. Their CEOs are making millions and the insured are suffering the consequences.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I’ve had an absolutely atrocious experience with Cigna. Please do not get insured with them if you want to make sure they honour their commitments. I was meant to go for knee surgery after an accident. Cigna accepted the claim, but we were still negotiating on where the surgery would take place. Then my coverage with them ended and now they refuse to honor the claim although the law is pretty clear that they have to honor the claim once it has been lodged with them. My organisation and the insurance broker have lodged a complaint with the insurance regulator in the UK. I didn’t have any issues with them when I only claimed for small medical treatments, but my first and only experience with them on a major issue was absolutely degrading and that’s the type of insurance I really care about.

Original review: July 21, 2018

300.00 a month for a $7500.00 deductible. And after that was met, Cigna only paid 50%. I loved the fact that without insurance (nothing) a visit to urgent care was $165.00, under this plan a visit to urgent care was $155.00! $10 cheaper???!! Why are you paying premiums then? Just a joke. I cancelled after 1 month.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Had Cigna Health Springs in Lake Country Ind. from 2014 to Dec 2017. The only reason why my husband and I kept them is because of my husband's sickness. I couldn't just up and switch. But from the time we joined we had nothing but problems with Cigna Health Springs denying meds for my husband. Just to let you know that the next to the last time my husband was in the Hospital when he was discharged from the hospital he was given medicine or rather scrips for his meds.

When I went to get them filled Cigna Health Springs denied the medication, I then called and asked them and told them that he needed this medication for his breathing and they told me no that I can appeal it, well long story short my husband wound up back in the Hospital and Passed Away. All to do with the Denied meds and the Aggravation and Anxiety that No one should have to go through. I have filed so many appeals. Went before the ALJ. You name it I did it. The ladies I spoke with out of Nashville said they actually had a file for my husband because of the problems that we were having. I would literally call if not every day every other day and believe me I would be on the phone with them for hours when my husband was sick. So for Cigna Health Springs they do not need to be in Business.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have at least five hours tape-recorded of CIGNA and there is not one answer that is the same as the next. This company is criminal and they need to be accountable for their actions. They’re dealing with people's health and their life. There is no attorneys that I have found so far that are willing to take on this company so that tells me they’re very powerful so if there is one out there please respond and let me know because I think it’s a great class action lawsuit... I can back up every single phone call I have audiotaped. I have let them know that I’m audio taping them and anyone that would listen to this audio tapes will be amazed at the information that they give you! I was scheduled for a medical necessity that was approved out of network until they said that I needed surgery now they will not approve my surgery. I was scheduled for tomorrow and I’m not able to have it and it is something that is deteriorating my health.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information