1.09/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 15, 2018

659 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 15, 2018

I went to pay for my **, I have Fibromyalgia, and when I asked for Walgreens to transfer my insurance from Walmart, Walmart said they were cancelling my policy. No explanation, so I had to pay the higher premium from my other insurance. Also, they sent me a letter in the mail, it explains nothing on why they cancelled it. I want an explanation, or my money back.

I went to pay for my Lyrica, I have Fibromyalgia, and when I asked for Walgreens to transfer my insurance from Walmart, Walmart said they were cancelling my policy. No explanation, so I had to pay the higher premium from my other insurance. Also, they sent me a letter in the mail, it explains nothing on why they cancelled it. I want an explanation, or my money back.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Cigna is quick to deny coverage under the cover of not meeting medical necessity or Experimental. They get to decide what is necessary. Not your health care provider. I will be changing insurance companies next enrollment. If appeal is denied again! Along with getting lawyer involved.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2018

We had Cigna as our insurance provider for the year of 2015. I became pregnant with our first child and had some major complications which required a long-term hospital stay (for which we were approved for). Not only had we received the go ahead for our stay, but we made sure to choose an in-network hospital and doctor (I think that goes without saying). My condition was an emergency as well as life-threatening for both myself and my unborn child. In total, I stayed in the hospital for about 3 and a half months. I was taken in May and was discharged in August when she was born a month early. We thought life was good, I was safe, my daughter was healthy and we were all paid up on deductibles and remaining costs to us. We were eager to start our new family on the right foot.

The last bill that we were issued during this time was $658.00 which we paid immediately. As far as we knew Cigna had paid their discounted cost to the hospital at a little less than $17,000. Everything seems good right? We were so wrong. They requested a full refund from the hospital saying that we were no longer eligible for my benefits. We never once received any documentation of this process, an e-mail. a phone call... NOTHING! We never heard from Cigna or their partnership company Group Resources (which is beyond shady). They avoid me at all costs. They tell me they have no access to my files. They say that other teams are the ones in charge of handling my account, but those "other teams" never take my phone call. They took my premiums for both my daughter and myself and they didn't pay a penny towards my medical bills.

Now, we owe a whopping $106, 255.00 to the hospital. We aren't any bigwig insurance company who could have walked away paying only $17,000. We are just a young growing family that is now faced with astronomical bills. We fear for the future and can never trust in these companies again. We thought we were doing everything a young family should be. Not only am I so upset about the bill, but I am blown away by the lack of communication, the lack of paperwork, the lack of explanation. It disgusts me that these big companies can do that. I am so disheartened to see all the reviews on this site. It truly shows that despite terrible business behavior, they are still making their money and taking the money of others.

I was also shocked to see their rating on BBB as an A+. I urge you to file complaints with them too so we can have their score reflect their true nature, Stay far away from this company! I have had many other insurance providers that worked with you, communicated and resolved any issues. This company couldn't care less because somehow they were able to take our/your money and not provide ANY service at all and they are getting away with it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 31, 2018

My husband suffers from a chronic autoimmune disease call Stills Disease, which is painful, hard, and stressful for the both of us daily. If only that was all we had to deal with, but Cigna has only heightened our pain, hardship, and stress. Over the past year and a half, my husband and I have felt unsupported, uncared for, and lied to by Cigna. We receive mixed messages, vague answers, blame shifting, and overall feel as if we cannot trust a single person at this organization. It is very challenging to get my husband set up with the doctor care and treatments he needs for his illness because of Cigna. It was all so much more manageable when my company used Kaiser. Here are just a few examples of what we've been through:

Denial of medically necessary treatments: Cigna denied my husband coverage for the one treatment that actually treats his disease because they say it isn't "medically necessary" [but they say it is covered for rheumatoid arthritis - my husband's disease in simple terms is a "more intense version of rheumatoid arthritis"]. For some reason insurance reps get to call the shots and override an expert rheumatologist. Another reason they denied it was because they consider it "experimental" but my husband was on this treatment for 4 solid years, as are other Stills Disease patients. Doesn't make sense. Due to this denial, my husband is forced to stay on a steroid for an unhealthy period of time according to doctors who are very concerned of the detrimental effects this could cause - but my husband's sick and this seems to be our only option right now to mask the pain. We are very worried.

Billing mistakes: Cigna told us we hit our "out of pocket max" so we stopped paying incoming bills, then to our surprise debt collectors came after us, and then Cigna says "oops, actually you haven't hit your out of pocket max yet". In another instance, Cigna guaranteed us that a doctor was "in-network" (I called them beforehand to check to make sure we covered all our bases) then we got an "out-of-network" bill for over $800. We spent hours and days on the phone until finally reconciling.

We are constantly stepping on eggshells with Cigna regarding what/who/where is in-network or out-of-network. In my opinion, their online myCigna system is outdated/unclear and all billing is through snail mail which I believe they do on purpose to keep things difficult so that the patient just gives in. What a burden Cigna has been to my husband’s health condition, on our finances, and on our lifestyle. Overall, this is the most unprofessional, unorganized, unethical insurance company I have ever experienced. It makes me sad that other individuals are going through similar situations. Cigna, please get it together and decide what matters most: being a $40 billion organization or caring for sick patients who already deal with enough hardship day in and day out.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Entirely unprofessional, taking advantage of those who need medical care. Errors in their system caused confusion to many at my company who used to be covered by them for pharmacy. That confusion then turned into verbal promises (over the phone) that medications would be covered and the errors would be fixed, only to find out after paying out of pocket that it would not. I paid for the highest level of pharmacy coverage I could, knowing I was getting surgery. They ended up paying $0 because my prescription exceeded the quantity - and I only got a tonsilectomy. I feel horrible for those who have more serious medical problems covered by Cigna. When I called genuinely confused, they were so rude. I can’t fathom how the gentleman I spoke to sleeps soundly at night after how he treats people calling regarding medical issues - very condescending. So glad my company no longer uses Cigna for pharmacy coverage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 27, 2018

I hope people are reading these negative reviews for the CIGNA health insurance company and will run away as far as possible and go with another health insurance company! We have spent nearly a year making phone calls to them to clear up an expensive lab bill mistake THEY made by NOT updating their database and making US pay for THEIR mistake. We went through the appeal process which was a JOKE and they actually sent us a letter congratulating us on our win when all they did was apply these high lab bills to our deductible!!! DUH. CIGNA... REALLY??? Which meant we still had to pay them or deal with debt collectors who naturally wanted their money.

They are totally incompetent and disorganized and no one there knows what they are doing. We always get different people - different answers - they even sent us an envelope of important health documents (envelope was addressed to us) but they had someone else's name on them! STAY AWAY from them! They are quick to take your monthly premiums but are NOT looking after their customers as they claim they do.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I’ve had poor experiences before with Cigna, but this one really put me over the top! I have major surgery scheduled in 6 days and while Cigna has approved my surgeon, they are not approving the ENT who is the piece of the team who gives the surgeon access to the area of my brain he will be working on. At least get someone hired who understands what the heck they’re talking about and doesn’t send out denials just because they don’t understand the procedure. If this doesn’t get approved in time, I may need to postpone a very serious surgery, or be prepared to pay out of pocket for the rest of my life. If your employer gives you ANY other insurance choice, stay away from Cigna. They’re offering companies cheap insurance, then not paying claims to make up the difference!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Due to acerbating of acid reflux to my asthma and well being doctor prescribed generic ** to which my insurance has the audacity to price as $307 for 90 days and when tier lowering requested came up with $126. To my amazement when asking friends and family what they pay... It came out as $3/30days on some and up to $12 having insurance and ordering generic. Of course I imagine Walgreens and the manufacturer have a good time slamming people with these costs to make their profit! We can only hope the day comes when they need a drug they cannot afford the cost! Our president and senators and congress continue saying they will do something to help us!!! When will this happen, if ever???

The drug industry is over its head in abuse to the people!!! Time to go after them strongly!!! To also make mention how disgraceful of a company (GE) you worked for years and at retirement was told your future would be solid and then 2 years after they are allowed to screw the employees and push them into these insurance programs that are so out of common sense perspectives so they can bleed the people. America needs to get their heads out of their ** and scrutinize and fix the insurance companies and stop the greed they allow!!!

Original review: March 8, 2018

Had severe rapid heart rate. Cardiologist sent me for nuclear stress test and other tests. Cigna wants proof now that they were medically necessary. Do they really think I would go through this for entertainment?

Original review: March 7, 2018

Cigna administered insurance and Cigna Home Delivery pharmacy service are equally horrible, poor coverage and an utter pain to use. If my employer had any other option available I would switch insurance coverage. I would never recommend Cigna Insurance nor the use of Cigna Home Delivery Service to anyone.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have Lupus, it is severe and disabling. My doctor prescribes medication to slow the progression of the disease and also to relieve the chronic pain associated with the disease. Cigna denies my medication every time it is prescribed even if they have approved it the month before. I end up having to jump through hoops and usually go without meds for an extended period of time. Cigna does not care about its consumers and I seriously believe they just deny meds so I die faster.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Denied Lockheed Martin short-term medical leave benefits - My doctor provided all the required documents and they still denied my short-term benefits for a transplant recipient. I sued and they still only paid half. They are scam artists that prey on people during their most vulnerable times. I suggest companies choose an insurance company that will help your employees get better and not cause undue headaches. Their process is time-consuming and hurts LM employees return to work times (dealing with excessive requirement and long, drawn-out response times).

Original review: March 1, 2018

This company sucks and to deny surgery to a veteran because a fat ** doctor doesn’t agree with the hospital such as Loma Linda university is beyond me. This fat ** doctor that sits behind a desk and make decision on your life has probably ripped us all off. What’s the use of having insurance.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

My sister had some test come back abnormal and the doctor suspected colorectal cancer. He order a CT and colonoscopy. Cigna denied the CT because her lab test results weren’t “bad enough”. My sister paid out of pocket for it so she could have the colonoscopy. Turns out, she in fact DOES have cancer and further testing/treatment has been ordered. We won’t know what they’ll deny until it happens but my sister is fortunate enough to have family and friends to help in case Cigna fails her AGAIN for not being sick enough. If Cigna was my only option, I’d rather pay out of pocket (it would probably be less expensive in the long run anyway). Thank you, Cigna, for denying my sister the testing she needed. Thank you for accepting her monthly premiums, copays, and deductibles and then denying her when she needed you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Cigna is requiring a chronic pain patient with dementia and intractable headache following traumatic brain injury to see a Rheumatologist before allowing a trial of **. The man is permanently disabled and opioids do not work. So no relief in site. Screw us per Cigna.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018 My wife was suddenly stricken with horrifying pain in her lower spine and hip. Doctors found a mass near her spine as well. Cigna refused Pet Scan, biopsy

and pain meds. Our company is dropping Cigna as a health care provider but, if you have no choice in choosing your plans and you're stuck with Cigna... good luck. Get ready to pay cash. Switching to Blue Shield. PS Cigna now knows we are dropping them so they are refusing more and more services to our employees. NICE! Shouldn't that be illegal? Don't know why I'm writing my first review ever. Merely voicing what 700 other people have already said on this site. F Cigna.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Having to interact what Cigna calls "customer service" is difficult, time-consuming and draining. And given their dishonest inefficiency, every claim has to be followed up manually. Avoid at all costs. Ask your employer to switch. And vote for whichever candidate will put these parasitical companies out of business.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Their reimbursement request process is so awkward. On average for each reimbursement request I have to try 3 or 4 times. Their system disallow modifications. If you made any minor mistake they will deny it and you have to restart everything. There's no detailed explanations so you have to call them. They tell you to what need to be revised and when you resubmit your request they tell you something else is wrong. Intentionally they try their best to deny everything. I always see incorrect numbers or mysterious numbers in their explains.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Cigna is repeatedly denying a gap exception to cover a solid custom molded AFO that my surgeon has determined is medically necessary. We have submitted all of the documentation Cigna has requested, and are told a different reason each time they are denying the request.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Terrible company!!! They administered my company's disability plan and took EVERYTHING from me - my retirement, my life insurance, my pension my minor children's social security award, my social security award, etc. etc. etc. This company has NO MORALS!!! Look elsewhere as this company will only cause you stress and make you sick. Beware!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They claimed that my ** was too expensive and that I would have to use generic ** or at a minimum try other medications before they would cover it. They clearly did not look at my medical records because I have tried a number of alternatives but I was forced to use ** which gives me a number of negative side effects. The ** was perfect, I had multiple doctors tell me I should be on that medication but they still would not cover it. Well my insurance recently dropped so I asked the pharmacist the cost of my generic ** and was somewhat surprised to learn that it was $204.95, and I was paying $5 for the copay. With the ** I would have paid $40 and the cost without insurance is ~$270 meaning I have been taking a medication that hurts me to save Cigna $25.05. This is absolutely appalling.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Do not use this company! I was with Cigna HealthspringRx for approximately 3 years. Their service was not exceptional from the beginning - but my last experience left me wondering how they can possibly be in business. My wife and I have plans to be away from home for 6 weeks, so I needed a vacation override - to be sure I had enough pills to take once per day - which would mean I would need a 60 day supply of my meds. This proved to be impossible - or it was impossible until I told Cigna their process had beat me down to where I had to find another source for the medication.

The problems began with my first call - I was put on hold and promptly the call was disconnected. I tried again - and the same thing happened. Getting a vacation override must be a task that is not favored by the staff. I continued to try -- with luck I managed to learn I needed to send a FAX (old-fashion document transport technology) of my airline ticket. Who still uses this? As the process moved along - I would always speak with supervisors.

This has now taken many, many calls - then a nice sounding lady said she had a fix - I would be receiving my meds through my regular mail order supply. Then Cigna calls me back - another lady says the last lady was all wrong, the workaround would be me picking up my meds at a pharmacy in a nearby town - she gave me the contact information and I thought I was fixed. Then another call from Cigna a day or so later said my request for the vacation override was denied. I called again and after a lot of back and forth I got to a supervisor and told her not to worry - I had spoken to someone and I had the workaround and I'd be getting my meds at the pharmacy.

This lady (Edna, work ID #**) was a real ogre. With absolutely no sympathy for what her company had put me through, she wanted to begin an appeals process. She tells me that the two "workarounds" I had labored to get were NOT IN THEIR SYSTEM. And that I needed to begin an appeals process. Unconcerned, not nice, no empathy - Edna needs to go! I was able to find another source for my pills and told Cigna where to go and was done with this nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Cigna LIARS: Brianna and Celia the nurse - I wish I could rate 0: Don't talk to them. Ask for another team. They admitted lying to me to make me calm down. They said I was being irrational and excitable, with mood swings (crying, depression, reckless, anger, etc...) in multiple instances on the phone, yet this is perfectly normal and I was denied disability. My doctor says that I am not ready for work, especially because I work with very hazardous chemicals (sulfuric acid, and hydrofluoric acid) at my job. My doctor will not sign off "CIGNA Fit for Duty" paperwork until she finds me fit, and so I can't do anything about going back to work.

I had a stroke 2 years ago, and I WANT to go back to work. This is the first mental/psycho break that I have experienced (in my entire life) and my doctor believes it has to do with my stroke (the original trigger was work-related, but now I have a lot of bad instances). I was getting better, but Cigna's behavior is actually causing me to have more mental issues now.

I try and do my due diligence, and my cognitive function is fine - yet I have outburst and was "being irrational" (not my words, claim made by case manager Brianna while speaking with me to calm me down, she also uses tactics that are questionable), but yet I am suitable to work in this mental state. She also "sympathizes" (fake - can be verified in the recording) with me which is clearly NON GENUINE.

When I ask to speak to the nurse, Celia (on multiple occasions), who apparently is the one nurse handling this decision, she is conveniently never available, morning, noon, and night; Brianna even went as far to agree that this was IN HER SCRIPT to check for the nurse availability, and then deny the conversation I requested to have with her. As an insurance nurse, apparently that makes her more qualified than my doctor (who has been treating me since my stroke, and knows my baseline), and she is knowledgeable enough to override a medical doctor's professional diagnosis.

What gives this group of non-doctors - who btw did not know what CVA (Cerebral Vascular Accident which is medical term for stroke) to allow me to help clarify my issues (since they NEVER let me talk to one... always busy) and for them to explain to me the reason in their "EXPERT" opinion of this denial? My doctor has been sending this information from the very beginning (we have a total of ~60 pages of documentation now), yet they had no idea of my stroke causing physical issues, excessive sweating, migraines, etc...

This was making me even more frustrated as case manager Brianna basically said that the decision is made (by their non-doctor team) and all I can do is appeal (minimum 25 working days, 5-6 weeks). I already haven't received any pay for a month. Even when I am having episodes, Brianna claims that collectively, there is not enough evidence; they think that me picking fights, have multiple episodes a day (which when I take a shower multiple times a day to help me feel better), rages, memory function issues, depression, and my unreasonable documented phone calls to Cigna, is still within the normalcy to be working.

They then claimed they need clarification, which I promptly was able to see my doctor and have her send over to them clarification. They were quick to tell me that they think (though they never take into consideration any of our conversations), where my instability, behavior, and depression do not dictate odd behavior on the phone (but during the conversation, she had to calm my rage, call me irrational) and then have the audacity to claim that I am fit for work. I have some personal recordings of our phone conversations, knowing that they will never share theirs with me, in which I clearly was mentally unstable. There is a lack of accountability in this EXPLETIVE, EXPLETIVE, EXPLETIVE COMPANY...

Did you know in 2016 that the CIGNA CEO David Cordani made $49,000,000?? What is wrong with our insurance? I have been a contributing member to society as an engineer, paying taxes on time, being ethical, and working hard for the past 20 years, and when I need a little time off to deal with this, it is denied. This company is a scumbag and deserves to get sued by us as a collective.

If this was your original stance, why would they approve the disability in the first place? I am still working through the same issues that started at the beginning of the disability claim, and due to insurance changes, cannot afford the meds that were working, and had another psychotic break midway through treatment. I'm not sure this review will actually do anything, but I'm hoping that it is some sort of therapeutic effect before I snap. I am available to discuss more, if anyone would like, you can contact me through this review. I will be checking in to see if others are in the same situation.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I was in a position where I had to change from United Health Care to Cigna for the 2018 year. I have a medical condition where both of my shoulders have severe deterioration of the tissue now causing bone on bone grinding at all times. The expert physicians I have engaged with all have the same diagnosis which is full shoulder replacement of both shoulders. It is my personal decision whether I choose to have these surgeries. I'm in my mid-forties and I am concerned if I have the should replacements now, then I very well may have to have the surgery AGAIN 15-20 years from now. I don't want that...

So, for the last 5 years I have been holding off on the surgeries and taking pain medication to help reduce the pain. During the last 5 years my physician has approved the pain medication, taken daily, using close review and guidance. I am on a formal pain medication "program" with the health system where I agree to random urinalysis checking for drugs. Every 3 months my physician requires I visit him in person, take the urinalysis, and sit and talk with him face to face.

For this 5 year period of time my records show I have never asked for my pain prescription early, never claimed it was stolen to receive more, and I have always had my urinalysis come back showing only the pain medication with no other drugs in my system. So, here's my COMPLAINT with Cigna. Most every person involved in the delivery of healthcare knows the healthcare insurance companies aren't in the business of "caring for patients". Health insurance companies do not care about the well being of their customers, except that they want them as healthy as possible so Cigna won't have to pay out money in reimbursing claims.

Only one factor drives healthcare insurance companies and that is profitability - making money. With that said, I understand why Cigna, when presented with paying for a $5000 medical procedure, took steps to have the customer get "Pre-Authorization" for such expensive procedures. They are protecting their financial interests. This... I understand. Cigna now goes above and beyond requiring Pre-Authorizations for those expensive healthcare procedures. Now they are doing it for your monthly prescriptions.

So, last week I went to the same pharmacy I've been going to for 10 years to pick up my medication, I was told that Cigna rejected the prescription. Why did they reject the prescription? Well, some narrow minded and profit-hungry Cigna executives realized through their data analytics that they are paying WAY TOO much money each year on pain medication prescriptions. So, Cigna uses the "Opioid Epidemic" as an excuse for rejecting prescriptions for pain medication where the prescription is for greater than 15 days. What? Excuse me?

For the last 5 years I have been with three other health insurance companies and none of them created this additional hurdle to receive my medication. But Cigna, well, they seem to forget they are not providing patient care, they are not physicians, they don't meet with patients and exam them. I have been with my physician for more than 10 years and I trust his abilities to make the appropriate diagnosis and provide me with the options I have for treating the medical condition.

If you choose to go with Cigna for health insurance, please know they have a level of arrogance. Every physician in the U.S. knows how serious the Opioid epidemic has become. Every physician knows that recklessly writing prescriptions for pain medication may cause them to lose their job and career from practicing medicine. When Cigna is contacted by a pharmacy who has a formal prescription in hard copy, if Cigna wants 24 hours to contact the physician to verify it is authentic, I get that. But once verified as authentic, Cigna should trust in the physician community. Cigna, for a prescription claim that may cost them $25, should not reject the claim and inject a process that requires the physician to spend hours documenting the details of a patient's care by that doctor. Ridiculous...

Cigna doesn't trust physicians to treat a patient and write the appropriate prescription. Clearly NO. Does Cigna as an organization really care about a patient's health? Oh my goodness NO. Cigna is either uneducated about pain medication or Cigna does not care that their decision to reject a pain medication prescription may very well put that customer in serious harm requiring hospitalization. This decision to reject a pain medication prescription because it is for more than 15 days, will take the physician's office days to complete and Cigna a couple days to process thus adding up to a week delay.

Ask any physician: If a patient has chronic pain and has been taking pain medication daily for more than one year (for example), are there definitive health risks to the patient potentially requiring hospitalization if the patient just stops taking the medication dosage as prescribed? Anyone educated on this topic knows the answer to this question. Yet Cigna just did that to me...

If you take your prescription per your doctor's instructions, there aren't "EXTRA" pills to take. Cigna denied my prescription on a Friday afternoon and told me it may them 3 days AFTER my doctor provides them with the Pre-Authorization forms to "approve" my prescription so the pharmacy can fill it. I was on the phone with Cigna and shocked at what was taking place. I explained to them the length of time I've been taking pain medication on a daily basis, the dosage per day, and that I was leaving on a business trip on Monday and not returning until the next Saturday. Cigna was being told that this decision was putting my health in jeopardy and I was at risk of serious harm requiring hospitalization. All Cigna needed to do is check with my physician over the phone, verify the prescription was valid, and approve it.

Cigna literally told me: Sorry, this requires additional paperwork. There is nothing else we can do. My message: Cigna very well may surprise with additional hurdles every step of the way that keep you from obtaining the medication YOUR physician has determined you need. I would AVOID CIGNA at all costs as they do not care about PEOPLE - they care about PROFIT.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Got a pre approval for Dentures with implants to hold them in. Was pre approved by Cigna that implants would be covered. When dentist turned in for payment they were denied claiming that there was a previous denture so the implants would not be covered. Went back and forth with "so called" customer service for 2 months. Finally got the date of the alleged previous denture. Had dentist verify this and then was told they would not be covered because her gum was good enough to hold a denture. Why they have pre approval is a mystery to me. They change their decision whenever they want to not cover things. Then they tried to claim it was never pre approved. It was bad enough that they didn't cover what they said they would but to claim it wasn't pre approved is a outright lie. Never want to have Cigna for insurance again. Thankfully I have a new job that doesn't use Cigna.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Dealing with the incompetence of Cigna-health Springs Pharmacy DMR is the worst. They charge for things they aren't mailing for weeks. Will not listen about mail times. It is not the same from Portland, OR to Seattle as it is from Portland, OR to rural AK but won't change reorder dates to accommodate. Send inaccurate letters to doctor's office saying that the medication wasn't part of their formulary, when what they really want is a prior authorization bogging down prescription times and doctor's personnel and not accomplishing what needs to be done. Causing a lapse in medication.

I just spent 2 hrs 3 mins and 50 seconds over 3 people to learn what the letters really meant and that they insist that the medication that they messed up last month can't be sent sooner just because it's going to AK and they still insist it will only take 3 days process and ship. It has never happened but that's their policy. I believe that they should have to put in their information, when we are choosing our insurance, that they are thick headed buttheads that have no real interest in helping you with your pharmacy needs but only in it for the money. Anyone can make a mistake now and again, I do, but to consistently screw up every time take real lack of interest. In the 3 people I talked to I got 3 different answers and $$ information. I have to say the last, Linda I believe, tried the hardest.

If it were medication that wouldn't be such a big deal like a cholesterol med and I had to miss a couple weeks it wouldn't be right but not such a big deal but I'm talking about life and death medication. Totally frustrating and completely unacceptable. So because of it I will have to go without and take my chances or pay the much higher price and get it at the local pharmacy, which will screw up the next order. What part of that is ok? None!!! I don't know if there is legal statutes here but there should be especially for the price they charge. Totally unacceptable!!! But stuck with them till January. Grrr!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I had a prescription for eye drops at the beginning of January with a coupon given to me by my doctor. The coupon read that the prescription would be free. When I picked it up from the pharmacist, there was no co-pay. I left with the drops. Two weeks later, I had to pick up another prescription that should have been covered by my employee HRA. It wasn't. I contacted Cigna to find out why. The rep said the funds were used to cover the drops - the ones that should have been free. $500.00 of HRA funds went to this supposedly free medication. I asked to speak to a manager about having that claim reversed, refunded, or issued a credit of some sort. Manager wasn't available and I was told to call back the next day. I did and spoke with Keri or Kelly, not sure of the name as I tried to forget her as soon as the conversation was over.

She couldn't have been more condescending and unhelpful. Basically, she said those funds had to be deducted before the coupon could be applied and nothing could be done because that claim was over 7 days old. I had no idea the drops were that expensive. All I know was that the co-pay was $0 like to coupon said. Well obviously it wasn't since $500.00 was taken from me. She couldn't care less that I was screwed. She even denied transferring me to the HRA department to at least express my concern and dissatisfaction with the entire situation. Unlike most managers in customer service, she didn't even attempt to care. Actually, most of the reps and managers I talked to regarding various issues at Cigna were either incompetent, rude, or both. I like my job, but I may need to start looking elsewhere for the insurance alone.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Cigna stopped paying my short term disability payments because they said they haven't received a form from my doctor. The doctor's office claimed that they faxed it the same day I was seen. It has been three weeks now and my case worker at Cigna claims he's been calling twice a week to get the form. I called this morning and spoke to a different person. She tried to call the doctor at the number listed in my file and the number isn't even valid. My claims rep has been lying to me for three weeks. He hasn't even tried to get the paperwork he needed or he would have known that the number was no good. In the meantime, I've got bills piling up and no income. What a waste of money to pay for short term disability insurance.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I have spent a good hour reading all the negative reviews from everyone. And it does not shock me at all to read how we the customers are disappointed with Cigna. I am the victim of poor customer service by every individual at Cigna. It is disgusting that this company is still operating. My issue concerns a bill of $77k in which Cigna will not cover after a yr long investigation. Prior to my baby's due date I contacted customer service. Spoke with a rep who said FL law requires babies are automatically covered under my insurance. With that said every call made after that was same response. After baby's birth I again contacted Cigna and NOT ONE person ever said to me what I needed to do. It was not until the hospital billed me for $77k stating Cigna denied claim. Since Oct 2016- Oct 2017 I have contacted Cigna however, to spend countless hrs on the phone being transferred and explaining my issue to an individual who doesn't care.

And once again not one person ever gave me the same answers. And in Nov 2017 I escalated my issue to Office of the President. I spoke to Alicia **, who listened to my complaint, said she will get back to me. After calling her for status, she says still investigating, Cigna wanted to find recorded call where I was not provided complete information. Again, after calling her again, of course recorded call deleted. Of course it's been over a yr. She should know that especially since she's in corporate. And just Jan 30th 2018 she calls me to say that after reviewing information they will NOT pay claim. She explained that after child's birth my employer should have submitted information. I was definitely in shock since I had specifically explained that her representatives never explained details to me, employer, or hospital collections person. So for her error in lack of training I became the victim.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Took Cigna more than a month to get my insurance in effect. Their website is a nightmare. Their automated phone system is a nightmare. This company doesn't care about its customers. Nothing but problems. Stay away.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information