Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

758 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I was beyond shocked to learn that Cigna does NOT cover preventive care! I was shocked to receive a bill for my annual well woman exam, and to add insult to injury OB/ GYN is considered a specialty. I double checked with my Children's doctor before scheduling their well children exams and yup! Well Children exams are not covered! What a horrible practice! If you are considering Cigna... DON'T!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have Cigna high option plan. My deductible is $2000. My wife needs ACL and meniscus surgery. I have been paying most of everything even though I already payed way over my deductible. I feel like the Cigna insurance I have isn't much help if any. I wouldn't recommend this company.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

That's their answer. Need it? No. Doctor says you need it? No. You call and reiterate after 3 denials? No. They will not provide you with health services. Worst plan I've had and I had Anthem HSA last year. This insurance scam is growing.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have a Medicare HMO SNP which is a special needs plan for disabled individuals. EVERY YEAR, I go in for an eye exam and when I don't get glasses, I get contact lenses. Every single time I'm seen for contacts, Cigna tries to charge me an associated "fitting fee" which I'm not responsible for. In the Evidence of Coverage for my insurance it states, and I quote "Note: Contact lens fitting fee is covered by the plan". On the previous page it states, quote: "Our plan covers: The contact lens fitting fee for Medicare-covered contact lenses".

EVERY TIME I go in, I have to fight with the front desk personnel who tell me flatly "No insurance covers the fitting fee" after which they send me a bill (without even TRYING TO BILL my insurance.) Last time, the shrew at the front desk said, "I'm including a little note in here that says that you were informed of the fee, so they won't write it off." Write it off? IT'S COVERED! So I contact my plan. My plan tells me, "Yes, we cover the fitting fee, just tell them to bill us." Then I contact Cigna. "We're not going to bill them, because you're responsible." I don't understand why Cigna is so insistent on making me pay out of pocket! It's the most bizarre, stubborn thing I've ever experienced. Is there a cost per page for insurance billing? Do the front desk people get a cut of the money paid out-of-pocket?

I just had to fax Cigna's claims department the two pages from my EoC that state that the fee is covered, which was a real hassle. I get the feeling even after they get it in black and white, they'll still tell me I owe this friggin' fee. I just don't understand why they are so obstinate and why they refuse to listen to me. I'm disabled and on a very limited fixed income and the fee would seriously cut into my grocery budget. These people are such a pain in my **.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Even a company of this size, jumps through all hoops to avoid paying even small claims. Top of the line insurance, platinum, sold by commission salespeople, who tell you anything to sell insurance, but know nothing. With an annual premium of 12,000$ and a claim totaling less than 500$ for the year. And of course, after lots of paperwork, just to get the approval, 9 month later they decline to pay. I am now self insured, and happily pay my own way, without having to ask anybody, no paperwork and immediate results. As it turns out CIGNA is no better than small unknown insurance companies. My advice to anyone, stay away, don't waste your time. They are always very polite, just like a snake oil salesman. ;-((

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have Cigna Insurance thru my workplace. It is a High Deductible family plan. So in the past 2 week my medical necessity and Pre-authorization for a Proton Pump Inhibitor was declined. This is after have an upper endoscopy and proof that I am on my way to severe Esophageal Erosion. Basically a precursor to getting Esophageal cancer. Reason? Your plan simply does not cover this not matter what the reason.

In addition my 5-year-old with a confirmed diagnosis of ADHD and speech disorder is now being denied coverage. This is after a $1000 evaluation was performed confirm the need (also not covered). I'd also like to know why I went to urgent care for 2 kids on a holiday weekend that I was charged $159.00 each, when if I had simply said I don't have any insurance my bill would have been $109 each. So in this case I was actually financially punished for using insurance. Truly considering just dumping my company insurance entirely, now that there is no long the Obamacare requirement. I have tried to do the right thing, I have tried to care my load. They have made it impossible to do so.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

A Cigna representative told me that they were going to cover my physical therapy, and then refused to pay the Physical Therapist. I am livid about getting stuck paying this bill. I'd love to know whose pockets this money lined. I will never use Cigna again even if it was free.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I quit smoking and the Cigna team was supposed to send a letter to my benefits team saying that I completed their "program" which was completely useless. Nonetheless, I did it and the "coach" sent my benefits team the wrong letter because he wasn't properly trained. So here I am, two months later, still being charged and extra $200/month because every time I call Cigna to get this fixed they have no clue what's going on, they do not return calls, and they are completely baffled by their own processes. My experience with Cigna has been SO miserable that I would actually look to avoid working for future companies that use them. They are horrible. BUYERS BEWARE!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Cigna is always looking for ways to make bigger profits, primarily through drugs. They employ a system called a "clawback." Until your deductible is reached, the pharmacy you use has no other choice but to charge you whatever price Cigna sets. For example, I use a medical patch that costs $480 a month (no, not a narcotic). I found out through a person working at my pharmacy that the cost to Cigna is $130, and the pharmacy makes a whopping $35.

I also take a prescription medication that the company arbitrarily has decided individuals should only have so much of this drug per 30 day period. Because I need this drug, I pay for it out-of-pocket every other month, and the cost of the drug doesn't go toward my deductible when I pay for it. I also use an injectable medication that costs approximately $1,400 a month. After my deductible is met, it is billed out as $400 a month. I have checked; this is not illegal only dishonest. Cigna is state and nation sanctioned thievery.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Cigna bought my Lloyds Bank Hospital Plan from another company. I have now received a letter saying they are cancelling the policy because they are no longer going to offer this type of policy. The real reason is that the policy is a fantastic policy. Like a savings plan that the payouts rise faster than the premiums and it doesn’t make Cigna as much profit as their other plans. Then you should never have bought the plan in the first place! I had built up a substantial payout should I have to go into hospital and you’ve just cancelled it without thought! Having read reviews about this company on the net, no one has a good word to say about them. Shame on you Cigna!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Unfortunately after reading these other reviews I don't have very much faith in getting anywhere with this insurance company. I was referred to a rheumatologist for possible psoriatic arthritis. With a long history of auto-immune diseases in my family, and having had three different types of psoriasis for over 10 years one would think the process would be cut and dry. But, no - doctor's request for an MRI in order to see ligament damage. Has been denied not once but twice now.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

There is no doubt I pay my medical and dental insurance premiums and was current throughout 2018 with Cigna. August 2018: My daughter had an emergency, compound (bone through skin) complete tibia and fibula fracture not sustained in an automobile accident. She was transported via ambulance to the closest appropriate facility (2 minutes away), was evaluated in the ED, required surgery and hospitalization. She was at risk for losing her leg - compromised circulation, risk for infection, compartment syndrome, permanent nerve damage, and required physical therapy. Cigna refused to pay several times: 1) not an emergency 2) out of network 3) somebody else's insurance should have been liable i.e. auto, homeowner, professional sport, etc. Cigna did not pay a dime of physical therapy.

The $38,000 hospital bill was rejected and submitted several times because Cigna claimed they needed "codes" and I had to submit them myself (why me?), Cigna did not receive an itemized statement (really?), "no statements had been received" by Cigna from the hospital (not true according to the hospital). At one point Cigna indicated that our family out-of pocket-had been satisfied (I have documentation of this being satisfied). Then they changed their minds and our EOB was changed, several times. They claimed that it was out of network, again - not an emergency. One phone conversation with a rep from Cigna said my out of pocket is now $30,000 when out-of-network out-of-pocket was originally $12,000. I know that a true emergency is covered as in-network. It is wrong for Cigna to change the rules, amounts, rules for what qualifies for in- or out-of-network, and what constitutes an emergency.

Today is Jan 27, 2019 and the hospital is Appealing the case. Another case: a covered member of my family broke a tooth at the gum line. The tooth was gone, the root was still embedded in gum tissue. Cigna refused the claim to extract the root stating, "it was not a necessary procedure". I am an honest person, work three jobs, pay my bills, assumed Good Faith in Cigna. My mistake.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Please read these reviews. I wished I had. Worst insurance ever! I pay $335 a month, for nothing. I'm asthmatic and need my inhalers to survive, and of course, they don't cover either of them. I have to pay $400 a month full price for my inhalers. I hate Cigna so bad! I highly recommend that you go elsewhere, or you will learn the hard way as I did!!! Zero stars!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I was denied quit smoking medication because they want you to use over the counter medications first so they do not have to pay for anything. It does not matter that you pay your premium to them. This is a way they get paid their premium and yet don't have to spend any of your money back to cover the prescription. It does not matter to them that you are trying to live a better lifestyle. When my open enrollment comes around you can bet your life I will be dropping this insurance company. I will never take out insurance with this company as long as I live. You just as well be living without any and save your money you give them to cover for when you need something.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I had to switch recently from UHC to Cigna and my experience so far is not good because of few reasons: 1) They have quite strange screening coverage policy. Screening coverage is very limited if it is done outside of the doctor's facility that referred the screening. It caused very high ultrasound bill for me. 2) A bit strange prescription coverage. They have quite limited coverage of original medications and try to convince you to take cheaper generics. If you take some original medications and do not want to switch to generics, you are screwed. 3) These guys decide if medical procedure is required or not. One more time, they, but not my physician decide do I need or do not need some medical procedure. It is very interesting concept. So, if you are thinking about switching to this company's insurance, think one more time. I made this mistake in 2018 and will try to switch to another insurance provider in the end of this year.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Cigna is the worst. They deny everything and do not care about the patient. I have back issues and have had two surgeries. Each time it is a fight for the MRI, fight for injections and fight for surgery. My doctor says I need another surgery to fix my nerve pain in my leg after my fusion two years ago. He said if I do not get it fixed "it will be permanent"! Well he needs to do a CT SCAN and they denied it. It took them over a month to even deny it and now nothing! I am almost fifty years old and will have to live with this pain for the rest of my life because of an insurance company denying treatment.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

So Cigna is the worst insurance company I’ve ever had. I’m sure it’s cheap as where I work switched from Blue Cross, Blue Shield, and it really shows. Have knee issues, and I work on my feet as an officer. Had MRIs completed, surgery scheduled for three months now for TOMORROW. I hear today that it’s been denied. Call up customer service, and the girl I spoke with was very nice, but not much she can do. She even called the Drs office while I was on hold to look further into it. She tells me it was denied last week, and my Drs office appealed it. That was then denied, so step three apparently is a “peer to peer” call. Where Cigna’s doctor, speaks with your doctor, to determine if the surgery is “needed”, which just was also denied. I have torn ligaments, and severe arthritis in my knee, and the only other option is full knee replacement. Which I’m sure also won’t be covered as it’s “not needed”.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I had coverage through my ex-husbands company for several years. During 2018, I had coverage from 1/1/18- 7/30/18. In October, I was notified by my doctor, who is an independent provider, that Cigna was demanding repayment of all the claims for 2018 as they said I was not covered. He was notified that it was going to collections(!!!). After countless hours on the phone by my Dr, myself, and the HR department at my ex's company, submission of paychecks showing payments thru July, documentation by Ex's company showing cancellation on 7/30/18, and verbal follow-up by a Provider rep at Cigna- I was assured by Cigna, and HR that the matter was resolved and the company acknowledged that I was, in fact, covered. Come to find out; Cigna once again has demanded repayment and has no record of ALL the dozens of emails and countless hours put in by Dr, HR, and myself.

BUYER BEWARE!!! Unethical company, terrible customer service, and no tracking between agents and departments at Cigna of any communications at all. Fortunately, it is for a relatively small amount of $$, less than $10,000, and I am healthy enough to be able to go through this. HOWEVER, I can not imagine what would happen if someone with a life threatening or chronic situation with $100s of thousands on the line could possibly deal with this! My advice is to run from this company as if your life depended on it, because if it ever does, there will be no accountability or ethics from Cigna at all!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I paid a monthly fee of $1500 for an individual plan under Cigna in order to have access to my out of network psychotherapist. When I started submitting claims, not only they initially denied getting them but then mysteriously found them after I provided a copy of the confirmation of the fax transmittal for the 8 pages of claims I had sent them. It took almost a month for them to process the claims and me making endless phone calls that too often got "disconnected" and no-one was able to call me back, so I would have to explain the issue all over again on my next call to a new representative.

Given my perseverance, they finally processed the claims but the reimbursement I got was not even close to what my plan is supposed to cover. I have been trying to get a supervisor to explain to me how they broke the bill and what they covered for each code. I'm a physician, so I'm aware of CPT codes, what they entail and the insurance jargon. Given that no representative have been able to explain to me how the coverage was done, they have placed me on hold several times, last call for 45 mins while they "look for a supervisor". To this date, they haven't "found" one. DO NOT GET CIGNA under any circumstances.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My daughter was on ** for five years and when my company switch over to Cigna, they denied her medicine, saying that she should try other cheap med first which she tried in initial stages of her UC. Worst health company.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I called Cigna to find out which hospital emergency room to go to that was covered by their insurance and they told me Center Point. I get treated there and come home expecting to pay a deductible for the treatment and all will be good. When I get a bill from the emergency Physicians, it seems that they are out of network, and out of a 649.00 bill. Cigna only pays 87.00. I call Cigna and they are sorry but too bad. I then talk to a Cigna supervisor who tells me that they don't have contracts or discounts with any emergency Physicians, so I am on my own.

So to recap, they send me to a emergency room that they don't cover the emergency physicians. They don't cover any emergency physicians in this area that I can find. It was inferred to me that while I am in a emergency situation at the ER, that I need to screen the Doctors to see if they take Cigna insurance, and if they don't to try and find one in the ER who does, before I get treated.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The CSRs at this company treated me very poorly. They refused to assist me with my issue and when I was transferred to supervisor Larry ** in escalations he refused to give me an option to speak with anyone else but him; basically telling me they were going to cancel my insurance when the grace period was up and here I am only 14 days into my insurance? The Marketplace updated my application so I would have the correct premium amount and the CSR and supervisor (Larry **) refused to give me access to a fax number or another person I could speak with in order to show clarification of my corrected premium amount.

So although my premium was corrected for February on for 2019, Cigna wanted me to pay a $767 premium when I could show them my new premium amount and take care of it. All I needed was a fax or email or a person who could assist me and I was treated poorly because of my low income. This company hires persons who do not care for people. I will be filing a complaint against this company but I feel people should be warned not to associate with this company.

If you have other healthcare choices do not choose this company because I paid all last year on another plan I had with Cigna on time and they could care less. I picked a new plan with them and some errors with the Marketplace were corrected and this company REFUSED to work with me and I was only 14 days into my insurance. This is also the ONLY insurance available to me in my area leaving me without insurance once they cancel me. Please pick another company if you want to have dependable health insurance.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Cigna seems to be in the business of rejecting claims that they supposedly cover with the hopes that the claimant will eventually give up and or the time period will expire that the claim can be submitted. I am in the process of submitting a claim for the 4th time. I am writing this while I have been on hold for almost an hour now... My company has purchased a supplemental insurance plan because Cigna has been so difficult and our internal human resources department is tired of hearing the complaints. My company has recently added a dedicated staff person to deal with Cigna. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH CIGNA!!! It is not worth the headache!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Cigna is the absolute worst insurance company I have ever had. They are unaware of their own policies and procedures, and will not help you get any clarification. As I have today, you could call two different representatives in a span of an hour (because that's how long it takes to get an actual person on the phone) and get two different answers. When you give them reference numbers they are clueless and can't manage to look anything up. They also claim you don't need pre-authorization for certain procedures/scans, but when you get them done they stick you with the full bill stating it wasn't an approved visit. When you call to tell them you asked for a form and they said you didn't need it but now you have a bill, they say "we'll take care of it" which means not actually taking care of it. Do not use this company. Cigna does not care about you, your family, or your well being.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

After changing jobs, I asked my dentist if they took my new insurance and gave them the information. They said yes, without mentioning that it was out of network - because Cigna says that it covers '100%' for preventative care like dental cleaning for out of network and in network services. In their chart, there is no caveat or asterisk. However, I was much dismayed to discover that of the $215 cleaning (I know it's a lot; I live in NYC though), they only covered $56, saying that that was the price they expected to pay for a cleaning. FOR A CLEANING. $56! it seems absurd. That was the only time I used their dental insurance in the entire year. And they wouldn't $215.

I filed an appeal after speaking with a representative and it was denied. I’m aghast though. Isn't it illegal to say in print that they cover 100% of something, then somewhere else tell you that they only will pay some random small number? They did not explain where $56 came from. I don't know what other insurance options are out there, but I'd suggest to my company trying to find a better provider.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I had 3 root canals go bad which forced me to seek tooth replacement. My licensed dentist plus an oral surgeon suggested dental implants due to the fact my other teeth were in very good condition. According to my plan, implants were a covered procedure. From the very beginning of the long process, bone graft, sinus graft, implants Cigna denied 99% of the charges including x-rays. Over the course of 13 months, I made multiple multiple phone calls to try to find out why all the different procedures were being denied, I received many different excuses from many different people including supervisors. Each time I questioned their response they would then come up with a new reason for the denial. The customer service rep would tell me they needed more info. Claims would be resubmitted.

My dentist would send the info they requested only to be told they never received it or they still needed more info and then the denial would come again. After going through this process time and time again with different excuses why the procedures were denied I filed an appeal only to be denied again and told that I had other viable options available. When I asked what those options were, I was told a bridge, which would of required an implant also, which they were denying or dentures. WHY would I pull out all of my remaining teeth that were in great condition to have dentures! If you only need your teeth cleaned this company may be OK but anything more, I would choose a different company if you don’t want to be paying everything out of your own pocket.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

During 2017/18 we filed 11 claims totaling $2670 at CIGNA Behavioral Health. They have yet to pay a single dime. Claims were rejected for little or no reason, typically internal issues at CIGNA. CIGNA's rejection of claims is FRAUDULENT. I'm filing a grievance with the State Insurance Board and my employer, and will gladly join a class action against this company.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Can't remember how I got in contact with them. Agent said she just wanted a little information - ended up being 20 minutes worth, 2) then told me they'd download extensive information to my yahoo account, 3) then sent me more information in mail unrequested by me. I never signed a thing. In fact I recall that at some point I told agent I did not like her hard sell and believe even said, "I reject any policy from you." They record all their phone calls. Anyhow about 8 months later I checked my bank account and found they had been billing my account $117/month for that many months. Called them and they have agreed to return my money. Said I had made a verbal contract.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I had canceled a policy from Cigna Insurance medical and life but they took out 668.64 from my account. Now they do not want to refund my money. Keep asking for the same thing over and over violating my civil rights and HIPAA policy. Will file complaint in federal government who oversees company like this.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I just reviewed my husband's insurance, we chose the lowest tier of the best plan. It literally covers nothing, absolutely nothing. He has a 3k deductible before they pay anything. What happened to copays. We are paying stupid high premiums for absolutely nothing. If you see CIGNA as a choice for insurance at work RUN!! Do not under any circumstances choose this scam. We could have chosen the HSA and would have better coverage. I feel so duped.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information

Cigna
www.cigna.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.