Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

3.8/5 (974 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Cigna Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Cigna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

We have been insured with CIGNA for over 10 years and I have never had a reason to switch. They offer great programs, tips and reminders that allow their subscribers to care for their health even before a negative health condition happens. Personally, I got my life back after seeing that they offered the program "OMADA," which provides health coaches and individualized support on weight loss or just living a healthy lifestyle. I have lost 20 lbs and through this program I now understand the effect of my eating and lifestyle habits on my overall health. To top it off, it is available to their subscribers at no additional cost! When you call in with any inquiry, their representatives are friendly and very helpful. They always go the extra mile to help as much as they can.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

My dental plan is OK. It is kind of expensive for me and my spouse. I wish that it was cheaper with lower deductible. There is a allow spending budget that you have to submit your own money in the beginning of the year but it works out well as long as you do not go over your spending allowance. Lawrence crowns is extremely expensive. Sometimes more than the procedure itself so it would really help if I can find a plan with loaded doctor bills with Monthly payments and no hassle.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

While Cigna is a good plan they pay what I believe to be far too little of dental bills. Extractions used to be far less than fillings. Now they are the same, sometimes more. Fluoride treatments can cost $100. Granted dentists are charging more, but dental insurance seems to be paying for less.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

All Dentists are expensive, Cigna mostly is covered and associated with Aspen Dental. They are very expensive STORE that mostly pushes other procedures to pad the bill. A very low score on my part. I have been to them twice and they wanted to do 5000 in work, my wife just paid $5000 in work that took 1 year to complete. She is still having problems with the fit and finish of the partial. To get adjustments are 15 dollars a visit on top of the $ 5 grand already spent. Not happy at all.

Original review: June 17, 2022

I tried going to a chiropractor, and was denied after 8 visits. I tried going to a physical therapist, and was denied after 8 visits, then approved I guess, then denied again. The stims and heat applied to my back was really helping me with my sciatica nerve pain. The theragun massage and stretching was also helpful in relieving my chronic pain. I am getting the message that Cigna and ASH together both feel that I should live in pain. When I call Cigna they point the finger of blame at their 3rd party nonsense provider ASH - American Specialty Health, who actively has their fingers poised over the DENY button. Terrible experience. I guess if I had known ahead of time that signing up for Cigna was actually like signing up for WHO KNOWS WHO depending on what type of help you need, I simply would not have signed up.

Cigna Health Insurance response

Hello Frank, I am truly sorry for the issues you are having with your coverage. I would be happy to assist. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@Cigna.com. Thanks-DN

Original review: June 15, 2022

Sister in-law had major stroke and insured through Cigna. Has long term, short term and critical care coverage. After Nuero ICU was moved to acute care rehab, then approved for skilled care facility by Cigna. 8 days later called and said she had to be out in 2 days. Gave us a list of in network facilities. 3 weeks later still going through their list and yet to find one they will approve off of THEIR LIST. They had no problem collecting premiums for 10 years, but are worthless when needed

Cigna Health Insurance response

Hello Darrell, I apologize for the frustration you and your family have encountered. I would like the chance to assist. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@Cigna.com. Thanks-DN

Original review: June 12, 2022

In July of 2021 they excluded all continuous glucose monitoring devices and supplies from medical coverage and said they needed to be covered through pharmacy insurance. These devices are a necessity for any type I insulin dependent diabetic, like myself. I has also been using these products through medical coverage with Aetna since 2013 and Cigna starting in 2020. In May of 2022 they excluded CGM devices and supplies from their pharmacy coverage with no notice or explanation. Costs went from a $25 co-pay a month to $422 per month.

They also don't follow prescription advice for my insulin (**). My prescription states 60 units daily. A vial of u-100 ** has 1,000 units or 16.667 days worth of supply. I am given 2 vials per refill and I cannot refill them through my pharmacy as they require 39 days between refills for approval. 2 vials is a 33.337 supply. I have to call Cigna each month to get them to override it an approve a medication I need to live on a daily basis. I have never had so many issues or have had to pay so much out of pocket as I do with Cigna. Their monthly premiums are also exceptionally high and calling for support is problematic at best. I usually need to speak with two people before I can get necessary and prescribed medications. Diabetics.. there are better options out there.

Jason

Cigna Health Insurance response

Hello Jason, I am truly sorry for the issues you have encountered with your coverage. I would be happy to assist you with your questions. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@Cigna.com. Thanks-DN

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 31, 2022

Until recently I've barely had to use my insurance aside from prescriptions and the occasional checkup. It was ok for that, although co-pays were higher than my previous insurance. My wife had to get emergency surgery about a month ago. The ER wouldn't let her go home and a surgeon was called in first thing in the morning to do it. Cigna wouldn't cover it so we're in massive debt because we had to save her life. I've been trying for months to get bariatric surgery so I have a chance of walking again. Cigna gave my surgeon a huge list of requirements in January and for 5 months I've been fulfilling them all, spending thousands out of pocket for supplements, nutritionists, and a CPAP machine. 6 days before my surgery data Cigna calls my doctor and says they're denying covering the surgery and I have to cancel it.

Cigna does not provide medical insurance. If you have an actual medical need you may as well die as far as they're concerned. Their exact words were "it isn't covered, even if it is deemed medically necessary." I'm glad my company is switching to Anthem in a month. If your employer has Cigna, go to the marketplace and buy your own insurance from someone else. At least you won't be throwing your money away.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I had to switch from Blue Cross/Blue Shield for 2022 and my share of my medical bills has gone up exponentially with Cigna. Stating medication went from $8.18 for 3-months to $70.01 and I had some ongoing physical therapy (3 sessions) and it went from $21.33 cost to me to $60.00 cost to me - exact same people and places I was using before and I haven't hit my deductable in years. I can pay cash w/o insurance and do better. Cigna sucks!

Original review: May 9, 2022

Cigna health insurance, specifically medical, is not great. What makes them awful are all of their extra 'hoops' and red tape you, the customer, has to go through to get simple things done. They have so many restrictions and processes and 'red tape' customers have to work through just to get the basic needs, let alone more high-value medication and procedures. If you have a choice, I would not recommend using Cigna as it creates more headaches than it's worth.

Cigna author review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information