1.19/5
Based on 99 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

673 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 18, 2018

My name is Jennifer ** and I am writing regarding a claim that I had with Cigna and where they denied my claim and have failed to send me a formal denial letter. Since around October of last year I had started suffering from headaches, low back pain and neck pain. These are the areas that I am and have been complaining about consistently throughout this time. I could not take the pain any longer and went to see my regular doctor and they had no record of me, Dr. **, located at 11102 Sunrise Blvd E, Puyallup, WA 98374. He had been my doctor since 2011 through 2017. In March the pain in my low back, neck and the headaches got so bad that I was unable to work and had to find a new doctor.

I in fact did find a new doctor, who completed the Cigna paperwork and took me out of work from 03/25/2018-09/25/2018. I had x-rays done and there was a determination and diagnosis made. I sent this information to Cigna for them to review it, I also had my doctor’s office fax over the notes from the doctor in addition to the medical form that he filled out for them and that was sent in. During this time, I was communicating with Cigna during the whole process and sending over documentation after documentation to only have them deny my claim for STD (short term disability).

On May 25, 2018, at 9:06 am I received a call from Patrice my claim manager who informed me that they could not read the doctor's notes and were trying to get a hold of the doctor’s office. I tried to get a hold of my doctor’s office as well and got a hold of the nurse and told her what Cigna said. She responded saying that she had been trying to get in touch with Patrice as well. On May 25th, 2018 Patrice the claim manager had called back and said the doctor's notes wont matter and she had checked with her supervisor, and they were going to deny the claim. Patrice then promised me that she would be sending me a “new denial letter so you can file an appeal on the decision.”

Patrice never sent me a denial letter on that date and to this day I have not received one. Cigna’s rules are that you have 10 days from the date of the phone call of denial to file an appeal. So here I am waiting for this denial letter that was never mailed to appeal the decision. In my eyes Cigna violated their own timeline of rules of the appeal process. I feel that they denied my ability to appeal their decision. On May 25th, 2018 after talking to Patrice I called back because I had more questions, I left a message for Patrice on her voicemail and she never called me back. On May 25th, 2018 I left a message also for Patrice’s supervisor to call me back and she did not call me either. So, on June 8th, 2018 at 8:44 am I called Cigna again and I was not able to speak with Patrice’s supervisor, whose name is Christy, I wanted to speak with Christy’s supervisor Tammy.

I did not hear anything that day, on Monday June 11, 2018 I received a call from Patrice, stating that I could mail a letter to appeal their decision, and she would send me the denial letter, which is well over the 10 days now. Patrice initially told me in the beginning that I would have to wait for the denial letter, before I could appeal their decision. I am not sure what answer is the correct one. I feel that Cigna is making excuses as to why they cannot pay the claim. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau on Cigna, it showed they had a D+ rating.

Now Cigna made an ADA accommodation for me to be out until the 17th of June, 2018. There were ADA paperwork that had to be completed for the remainder of the time. The additional paperwork had to be sent back to Cigna for that. This has been approved I think, I have not heard anything more from them. An ADA accommodation is great, but it does not provide any income and does not provide my health insurance. My benefit center through my work wants $844.95 from me and if they do not receive it by the 1st of June, 2018, they were going to drop my health insurance. So, in short, I have no health insurance now through my work and no income because of Cigna.

Enclosed is copies of the information I have. I would like Cigna to be investigated and to get this matter resolved. The biggest issue I see is they violated their own time frame for appeals, contradicted themselves in how to appeal the decision made, and made their own determination on my health with no regard to my doctor. I feel Cigna is corrupt and should pay what they owe to their clients that in fact have a legitimate claim, where they have documentation supporting the claim. I still do not know why Cigna denied my claim for STD, but I know because of them I had to go on public assistance for food and health insurance.

Most recently today the 18th of June 2018, Patrice calls to see if I want to appeal the decision and if I received the denial letter, as of today I have received nothing from Cigna. Why would you ask someone if they want to appeal the denial that Cigna has made? This is ridiculous and absurd, if I could have chosen my short term disability provider it would not have been Cigna.

Original review: June 17, 2018

My plan includes coverage for prescription (90%/10%). Walgreens Pharmacy informed me that Cigna said no coverage in my plan. I call Cigna and representative say I have coverage. Walgreens call them again and no coverage. Then I call Cigna again and now they say no coverage. I come back home, check my plan’s paperwork coverage and I do have coverage. I call Cigna again and they say that Walgreens does not process direct billing to Cigna... (My husband has Cigna Global and no issues getting prescriptions at Walgreens).

Well, next day Walgreens pharmacists and myself spent almost two hours contacting Cigna back and forth and finally someone said that the plan I have required me to pay for my prescriptions and claim that to Cigna Envoy. Seriously?! I wish the first representative could have told me this on my first call before spending 4.5h of my day in phone calls back and forth and all the embarrassment when pharmacist look at me and say ‘your insurance says you have no coverage for prescriptions’ when I legitimately have it. Pretty disappointing, frustrating and embarrassing... This is the 4th time under this situation. It happened twice at the walk-in clinic and at the vision doctor clinic. I'm on an international assignment and I’m asking my company for another insurance company as it’s very risky if something happens to me while working overseas with misinformed customer service representatives and lack of support from Cigna Envoy.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Cigna Healthspring took me on as one of their members with full disclosure of my medical issues and needs. And yet, for the past year and a half they have DENIED all treatment prescribed by my PCP and the specialists I've consulted. Despite repeated appeals, seeing different doctors who make the same conclusions and recommendations, Cigna Healthspring persists in DENYING the care my doctors prescribe. The effect has been a worsening of my physical state, the refusal of my Nashville TN doctors and now my NYC doctors, to continue to care for me because, in the words of my PCP "There is nothing more I can do for you. Your insurance company keeps denying what I prescribe and recommend."

My concern that irreparable damage is being done to my body while Cigna Healthspring continues to take my monthly premiums and denies care prescribed. All I can say in closing is I truly hope none of the people at Cigna Healthspring who are keen to deny medical treatment find themselves on the receiving side of their business model.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Cigna denied claims in order to delay payment. They also have denied a needed chemo drug because of cost and they decided which chemo I could take that they would pay for. They denied my needed ** shot which I needed to increase my dangerously low white blood count, saying they would only approve a generic brand which my hospital did not carry, this caused a delay in my treatment. Cigna has denied CAT scans and PET scans and eventually would approve after a peer to peer review again causing delays. Since I have had Cigna my disease has gotten worse. They are dictating what I can and cannot have and going against what my Doctor who is trying to help me get rid of my cancer knows I need. Their only concern is the cost not the value of the needed treatment. They are playing with my longevity as I have terminal cancer. How can they continue to get away with this?

Original review: June 16, 2018

I became the advocate for a friend with head and neck cancer. She is being denied care with the drs. and hospitals needed for her form of cancer. As the advocate, I have been given the total run around. She cannot talk on the phone, so I talk for her. But when no one is listening, it doesn't matter. We have reached out to get outside sources for funding, and because Cigna is involved, they are not even taking cash? I would not take out anything or refer this company to anyone. We are in the home of the free and brave, and we are rejecting health care to those whose lives depend on it? We are not the only ones this is happening to, I promise. Just do your research, and let us band together.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: June 15, 2018

Avoid at all cost. Don't send me meds I didn't ask for, let alone charge my card 350.00 without saying a word. My book criminal - yes filed a dispute with the credit card company. Never authorized anything and idiots claim they had a right to do so- NOPE- rather pay out of pocket than deal with this company. Jump ship if you can. NEGATIVE STAR PLEASE.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have had Cigna for years... I am 80 years old and totally disabled... All was excellent until the last months of 2017. They charged me up to 100 dollars a month from only 10 dollars a month for year. Then in January of 2018 they changed and did not know about the change. Now they charge another 28 dollars a month, I am special needs plan. For about 6 months they took my only income of $101.00 allowance from my Social Security. I tried to get out but for months with professional help from the government assisted living employees where I live, but we went in circles for months. We finally got out and I am changed to a good plan now. I will never get my money back. How many others did they benefit from and rob too??? Run from Cigna Part D RX.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 6, 2018

This has got to be the worst company to receive information from the representatives! ** for migraines was prescribed for my daughter and EVERY REPRESENTATIVE gave us different information as to what the financial responsibility was going to be through our plan. It went from $50 every three months for the ** cost to the $750 deductible and no fee after that to $750 deductible and 20% of the cost of the **! I dont know about anyone else but that is a big difference. How can so many representatives read the same plan so many different ways and who knows who is right. We are at their mercy. Plus last year they changed “specialty pharmacy” for the ** without any notice to us so we are stuck with a $1400 bill with the old company. All Cigna says is we are not responsible but guess what? We are or turned over to the collection agency. I SAY RUN AS FAR AWAY FROM CIGNA AS YOU CAN!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Over the years Cigna has been one of the best insurance providers I have had to date. Their customer service has improved significantly and their automated phone system prompts have also improved.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Whenever I have had a question or concern I have found Cigna's customer service to be above all others - I have never said that about any other insurance company in my 56 years on this planet.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 31, 2018

I can never get any information from them. If you need a price on anything, it take a couple days to get it. Their website is horrible. Their system is horrible. I show a bunch of my claims, but no information. It shows what was billed, covered and what I owe. I call and said, "How do you know what they are billing for? Why can't I see what they are billing me for?" No information at all. That's crazy, so I am suppose to trust what was billed. I have a right to see on their website what was billed and itemized what was covered. I had Aetna insurance for 10 year and never ran into this problem. With today's technology there is no reason for this. Doctor offices can bill for whatever they want, how would I know. Not acceptable for the amount of money I pay for having insurance with them.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Had an ER visit escalated to emergency in-patient surgery in January. My Cigna HMO insurance card states I should be from 2-300 bucks in charges for in-network surgery. Stupid ** (Cigna) phone numbers all go in a run-around when called. I'm literally still getting bills to this day from ** they're not going to pay. Anesthesia, patient check up... My Cigna bills state I've hit a maximum (when we're not on an insurance policy with a maximum) even though it does not list anesthesia as a separate bill EVEN THOUGH WE WERE IN NETWORK AND HAD NO CHOICE.

I got another bill tonight for the supposed "free" doctor checkup for 150 bucks where I waited for 45 minutes for a surgeon to press on my stomach for 2 seconds to say I'm fine after 3 weeks from the initial surgery. The bill was received today 5/29/18 (4.5 months from initial procedure). Cigna is a big scam. You worthless crooks should be expecting a lawyer.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Company gave bad information to the dental office about coverage. I was hit with a surprise bill. Uses much technical information that is hard to understand: surfaces, white versus dark fillings (does anybody really want toxic amalgam fillings?), molars vs bicuspids, waiting periods. You might need to go to dental school to figure it out. Surfaces - this is a new one for me. A filling placed on the corner of a tooth is not fully covered. It has "three surface" and therefore does not qualify for the "two surface" requirement.

Waiting period not clearly communicated. Another big bill arrived for uncovered panoramic x-rays. 60 months before getting another panoramic (whole mouth) x ray series. I get this feeling this company is flawed in a deep way that probably emanates from upper management. They are all about paying out as little as possible and will go to great lengths to be less than transparent. You might need to go to dental school and law school if you choose this company for dental coverage.

Original review: April 26, 2018

This is the worst insurance I've ever had. They do not even give you EOBs. You have to request that the EOB be 'generated' and they can only send them by mail or fax. Castle Dental overcharged me nearly $200 for a procedure and Cigna's response was basically that it was my fault because I didn't take in the 'schedule' and negotiate (based on billing codes) what the dentist *should* charge. It appears that Castle Dental routinely overcharges for services when you use the Cigna Dental plan.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I went to pay for my **, I have Fibromyalgia, and when I asked for Walgreens to transfer my insurance from Walmart, Walmart said they were cancelling my policy. No explanation, so I had to pay the higher premium from my other insurance. Also, they sent me a letter in the mail, it explains nothing on why they cancelled it. I want an explanation, or my money back.

I went to pay for my Lyrica, I have Fibromyalgia, and when I asked for Walgreens to transfer my insurance from Walmart, Walmart said they were cancelling my policy. No explanation, so I had to pay the higher premium from my other insurance. Also, they sent me a letter in the mail, it explains nothing on why they cancelled it. I want an explanation, or my money back.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Cigna is quick to deny coverage under the cover of not meeting medical necessity or Experimental. They get to decide what is necessary. Not your health care provider. I will be changing insurance companies next enrollment. If appeal is denied again! Along with getting lawyer involved.

Original review: April 3, 2018

We had Cigna as our insurance provider for the year of 2015. I became pregnant with our first child and had some major complications which required a long-term hospital stay (for which we were approved for). Not only had we received the go ahead for our stay, but we made sure to choose an in-network hospital and doctor (I think that goes without saying). My condition was an emergency as well as life-threatening for both myself and my unborn child. In total, I stayed in the hospital for about 3 and a half months. I was taken in May and was discharged in August when she was born a month early. We thought life was good, I was safe, my daughter was healthy and we were all paid up on deductibles and remaining costs to us. We were eager to start our new family on the right foot.

The last bill that we were issued during this time was $658.00 which we paid immediately. As far as we knew Cigna had paid their discounted cost to the hospital at a little less than $17,000. Everything seems good right? We were so wrong. They requested a full refund from the hospital saying that we were no longer eligible for my benefits. We never once received any documentation of this process, an e-mail. a phone call... NOTHING! We never heard from Cigna or their partnership company Group Resources (which is beyond shady). They avoid me at all costs. They tell me they have no access to my files. They say that other teams are the ones in charge of handling my account, but those "other teams" never take my phone call. They took my premiums for both my daughter and myself and they didn't pay a penny towards my medical bills.

Now, we owe a whopping $106, 255.00 to the hospital. We aren't any bigwig insurance company who could have walked away paying only $17,000. We are just a young growing family that is now faced with astronomical bills. We fear for the future and can never trust in these companies again. We thought we were doing everything a young family should be. Not only am I so upset about the bill, but I am blown away by the lack of communication, the lack of paperwork, the lack of explanation. It disgusts me that these big companies can do that. I am so disheartened to see all the reviews on this site. It truly shows that despite terrible business behavior, they are still making their money and taking the money of others.

I was also shocked to see their rating on BBB as an A+. I urge you to file complaints with them too so we can have their score reflect their true nature, Stay far away from this company! I have had many other insurance providers that worked with you, communicated and resolved any issues. This company couldn't care less because somehow they were able to take our/your money and not provide ANY service at all and they are getting away with it.

Original review: March 31, 2018

My husband suffers from a chronic autoimmune disease call Stills Disease, which is painful, hard, and stressful for the both of us daily. If only that was all we had to deal with, but Cigna has only heightened our pain, hardship, and stress. Over the past year and a half, my husband and I have felt unsupported, uncared for, and lied to by Cigna. We receive mixed messages, vague answers, blame shifting, and overall feel as if we cannot trust a single person at this organization. It is very challenging to get my husband set up with the doctor care and treatments he needs for his illness because of Cigna. It was all so much more manageable when my company used Kaiser. Here are just a few examples of what we've been through:

Denial of medically necessary treatments: Cigna denied my husband coverage for the one treatment that actually treats his disease because they say it isn't "medically necessary" [but they say it is covered for rheumatoid arthritis - my husband's disease in simple terms is a "more intense version of rheumatoid arthritis"]. For some reason insurance reps get to call the shots and override an expert rheumatologist. Another reason they denied it was because they consider it "experimental" but my husband was on this treatment for 4 solid years, as are other Stills Disease patients. Doesn't make sense. Due to this denial, my husband is forced to stay on a steroid for an unhealthy period of time according to doctors who are very concerned of the detrimental effects this could cause - but my husband's sick and this seems to be our only option right now to mask the pain. We are very worried.

Billing mistakes: Cigna told us we hit our "out of pocket max" so we stopped paying incoming bills, then to our surprise debt collectors came after us, and then Cigna says "oops, actually you haven't hit your out of pocket max yet". In another instance, Cigna guaranteed us that a doctor was "in-network" (I called them beforehand to check to make sure we covered all our bases) then we got an "out-of-network" bill for over $800. We spent hours and days on the phone until finally reconciling.

We are constantly stepping on eggshells with Cigna regarding what/who/where is in-network or out-of-network. In my opinion, their online myCigna system is outdated/unclear and all billing is through snail mail which I believe they do on purpose to keep things difficult so that the patient just gives in. What a burden Cigna has been to my husband’s health condition, on our finances, and on our lifestyle. Overall, this is the most unprofessional, unorganized, unethical insurance company I have ever experienced. It makes me sad that other individuals are going through similar situations. Cigna, please get it together and decide what matters most: being a $40 billion organization or caring for sick patients who already deal with enough hardship day in and day out.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Entirely unprofessional, taking advantage of those who need medical care. Errors in their system caused confusion to many at my company who used to be covered by them for pharmacy. That confusion then turned into verbal promises (over the phone) that medications would be covered and the errors would be fixed, only to find out after paying out of pocket that it would not. I paid for the highest level of pharmacy coverage I could, knowing I was getting surgery. They ended up paying $0 because my prescription exceeded the quantity - and I only got a tonsilectomy. I feel horrible for those who have more serious medical problems covered by Cigna. When I called genuinely confused, they were so rude. I can’t fathom how the gentleman I spoke to sleeps soundly at night after how he treats people calling regarding medical issues - very condescending. So glad my company no longer uses Cigna for pharmacy coverage.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I hope people are reading these negative reviews for the CIGNA health insurance company and will run away as far as possible and go with another health insurance company! We have spent nearly a year making phone calls to them to clear up an expensive lab bill mistake THEY made by NOT updating their database and making US pay for THEIR mistake. We went through the appeal process which was a JOKE and they actually sent us a letter congratulating us on our win when all they did was apply these high lab bills to our deductible!!! DUH. CIGNA... REALLY??? Which meant we still had to pay them or deal with debt collectors who naturally wanted their money.

They are totally incompetent and disorganized and no one there knows what they are doing. We always get different people - different answers - they even sent us an envelope of important health documents (envelope was addressed to us) but they had someone else's name on them! STAY AWAY from them! They are quick to take your monthly premiums but are NOT looking after their customers as they claim they do.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I’ve had poor experiences before with Cigna, but this one really put me over the top! I have major surgery scheduled in 6 days and while Cigna has approved my surgeon, they are not approving the ENT who is the piece of the team who gives the surgeon access to the area of my brain he will be working on. At least get someone hired who understands what the heck they’re talking about and doesn’t send out denials just because they don’t understand the procedure. If this doesn’t get approved in time, I may need to postpone a very serious surgery, or be prepared to pay out of pocket for the rest of my life. If your employer gives you ANY other insurance choice, stay away from Cigna. They’re offering companies cheap insurance, then not paying claims to make up the difference!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Due to acerbating of acid reflux to my asthma and well being doctor prescribed generic ** to which my insurance has the audacity to price as $307 for 90 days and when tier lowering requested came up with $126. To my amazement when asking friends and family what they pay... It came out as $3/30days on some and up to $12 having insurance and ordering generic. Of course I imagine Walgreens and the manufacturer have a good time slamming people with these costs to make their profit! We can only hope the day comes when they need a drug they cannot afford the cost! Our president and senators and congress continue saying they will do something to help us!!! When will this happen, if ever???

The drug industry is over its head in abuse to the people!!! Time to go after them strongly!!! To also make mention how disgraceful of a company (GE) you worked for years and at retirement was told your future would be solid and then 2 years after they are allowed to screw the employees and push them into these insurance programs that are so out of common sense perspectives so they can bleed the people. America needs to get their heads out of their ** and scrutinize and fix the insurance companies and stop the greed they allow!!!

Original review: March 8, 2018

Had severe rapid heart rate. Cardiologist sent me for nuclear stress test and other tests. Cigna wants proof now that they were medically necessary. Do they really think I would go through this for entertainment?

Original review: March 7, 2018

Cigna administered insurance and Cigna Home Delivery pharmacy service are equally horrible, poor coverage and an utter pain to use. If my employer had any other option available I would switch insurance coverage. I would never recommend Cigna Insurance nor the use of Cigna Home Delivery Service to anyone.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have Lupus, it is severe and disabling. My doctor prescribes medication to slow the progression of the disease and also to relieve the chronic pain associated with the disease. Cigna denies my medication every time it is prescribed even if they have approved it the month before. I end up having to jump through hoops and usually go without meds for an extended period of time. Cigna does not care about its consumers and I seriously believe they just deny meds so I die faster.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Denied Lockheed Martin short-term medical leave benefits - My doctor provided all the required documents and they still denied my short-term benefits for a transplant recipient. I sued and they still only paid half. They are scam artists that prey on people during their most vulnerable times. I suggest companies choose an insurance company that will help your employees get better and not cause undue headaches. Their process is time-consuming and hurts LM employees return to work times (dealing with excessive requirement and long, drawn-out response times).

Original review: March 1, 2018

This company sucks and to deny surgery to a veteran because a fat ** doctor doesn’t agree with the hospital such as Loma Linda university is beyond me. This fat ** doctor that sits behind a desk and make decision on your life has probably ripped us all off. What’s the use of having insurance.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

My sister had some test come back abnormal and the doctor suspected colorectal cancer. He order a CT and colonoscopy. Cigna denied the CT because her lab test results weren’t “bad enough”. My sister paid out of pocket for it so she could have the colonoscopy. Turns out, she in fact DOES have cancer and further testing/treatment has been ordered. We won’t know what they’ll deny until it happens but my sister is fortunate enough to have family and friends to help in case Cigna fails her AGAIN for not being sick enough. If Cigna was my only option, I’d rather pay out of pocket (it would probably be less expensive in the long run anyway). Thank you, Cigna, for denying my sister the testing she needed. Thank you for accepting her monthly premiums, copays, and deductibles and then denying her when she needed you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Cigna is requiring a chronic pain patient with dementia and intractable headache following traumatic brain injury to see a Rheumatologist before allowing a trial of **. The man is permanently disabled and opioids do not work. So no relief in site. Screw us per Cigna.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018 My wife was suddenly stricken with horrifying pain in her lower spine and hip. Doctors found a mass near her spine as well. Cigna refused Pet Scan, biopsy

and pain meds. Our company is dropping Cigna as a health care provider but, if you have no choice in choosing your plans and you're stuck with Cigna... good luck. Get ready to pay cash. Switching to Blue Shield. PS Cigna now knows we are dropping them so they are refusing more and more services to our employees. NICE! Shouldn't that be illegal? Don't know why I'm writing my first review ever. Merely voicing what 700 other people have already said on this site. F Cigna.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information