Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

3.8/5 (1116 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Cigna Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Cigna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Don't waste your money. You can't even cancel your service conveniently. Sitting on the phone on hold right now and these arrogant ** telling me to get vaccinated like they know what's best for me as an individual when literally every human body is unique. Spend your money with a health insurance company that is not utter trash. Oh yeah, and they don't pay for anything that they say they pay for. They exploit loopholes and use excuses. Typical unethical, greedy, scumbag company.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

I have Dental HMO coverage from CIGNA. It covers 2 cleanings a year. This is the definition of bait and switch, and I would be happy to be the prime on a class action lawsuit. I have been to all of the companies in my area who take this insurance. None of them will perform the cleaning. They demand a separate exam session prior to the cleaning where they will tell you that the Doctor has determined that you need a "Deep cleaning". I went to a separate Dentist, unaffiliated with my insurance and asked them to perform an exam and cleaning to determine if I needed a "Deep Cleaning". They said no, and were aghast that a Dentist refused to perform any cleaning and were holding hostage my Insurance provided cleanings to the large up-charge to perform "Deep Cleaning".

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

I am currently being treated at The Mayo Clinic, the top rated hospital system in the world. I have a condition called Tracheobronchomalacia, which is very rare in adults. In addition, this is being exacerbated by paralysis of my right diaphragm. The specialists at Mayo ordered a diaphragm plication, which they believe will not only improve my breathing but may lessen the collapse of my airways due to the diaphragm's current paradoxical movement. Cigna has refused my surgery, their medical director (who has never seen me) decided it's not medically necessary and has overruled an entire team at Mayo Clinic for a procedure which may save my life.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

Updated on 09/12/2022: The company responded to my review almost immediately but when I emailed them like they asked, nothing. No response. From what I've been reviewing online about letushelpU@cigna.com, it seems like a lot of people have the same complaints about the company making it look like they are concerned by posting "let us help you" in these reviews, but they don't actually do anything when it comes time to meaningfully respond. So sad.

Original Review: This company would not approve my thyroid medication. After jumping through hoops and months of paying out of pocket, they finally decide to notify me by mail that they are now in fact going to cover the medication. The price for the medication out of pocket ($140 for 3 months) was the same as the copay amount that Cigna so graciously decided to cover. I have had a few different insurance companies throughout the years and this by far has been the worst company. Hoping my company decides to re-think insurance carriers if enough people complain.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

Do yourself a favor and avoid this insurance company at all costs. As others have mentioned when you don't need anything special they are fine but as soon as a problem arises is when you find out just how truly awful this company is. I had an issue with my account and was issued a new ID number in April of this year. When I was issued a new ID number they failed to carry over all my medical claims from January-March and basically reset my medical deductible. I noticed this in May when I started receiving medical bills with large out of pocket costs after having already reached my deductible under my old ID number.

I first called on May 9th to get the issue straightened out. I spent 2 hours on the phone explaining to several different people what the problem was and how it needed to be resolved as everyone I spoke with seemed to be very confused. I had to call back on May 31st, June 15th, June 23rd, July 13th, July 25th and now again on August 18th. Each time I explained to the person on the phone what the problem was and what needed to be done to resolve the issue. Each time I was given the same line that it would be resolved in 5-10 or 7-10 business days. It wasn't until June 21st that they finally started moving the claims from my old ID number to the new ID number. But they conveniently missed a rather large claim from Jan 7th that was not transferred over.

On July 25th I was promised that the last remaining claims would be transferred over and all new claims would be reprocessed properly in 7-10 business days. On August 8th I received a call that the final claims from my original ID number had been transferred. At that time I was also promised that all new claims still needed to be reprocessed but that it would take another 5 business days. On August 18th the new claims still had not been reprocessed properly. After calling I was told that the a new review was opened on August 16th and that it would take another 7 business days to process the request.

At this time it has been over 3 months, 8 phone calls and over 8 hours on the phone trying to get this issue resolved. For the past 4 1/2 months I have had medical bills adding up that Cigna should have been paying for but have been passing along to me as they drag their feet and delay correcting my account to properly process my medical claims.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

Do not - under any circumstances - get health insurance with Cigna! They will not help you! We were with them all of 2020 without issues which must’ve mostly been because we didn’t need much beyond a few routine visits for the kids. In spring of 2021 we fell under a “system error” that caused us to be re-enrolled with a new number & account. This started an avalanche of issues that should’ve been easy to fix but their customer service is absolutely useless! We started to get more and more bills that were declined, until we figured out that we had a new insurance number, which no one ever told us, and for which I haven’t received any insurance cards to this day even though we’ve requested them at least 3 or 4 times and were assured “they’re on the way”.

While trying to correct our account number issue (which never happened), Cigna somehow decided to removed our children from the account all together, and when we tried to fix that they added them back in with the wrong date, leaving them with days that the system claimed they were “not covered” even we though we obviously had paid for them. To make things worse, my then 2yo was hospitalized during the timeframe that Cigna’s system claimed he wasn’t covered, which left us with a mountain of medical bills that Cigna refused to pay.

Once we eventually got the dates in the system fixed - which took months! - they are now refusing to pay for emergency services from that day because they were out of network, even though the network choice was out of our hands and should very clearly be covered under their emergency rules. I am now sitting on $20,000 in pediatric ER and ambulance fees that Cigna refuses to pay. I’m just glad the doctors decided against the life flight that day.

I have spent countless hours on the phone with Cigna. Their customer reps are in India and mostly useless, as they don’t have any authority or actual tools to help you. Their managers are US based and promise you everything under the moon with very little results. I can’t count how many times they’ve promised to send something, or promised someone would call “within a week”, or that “it’s fixed in the system and should be going through within 10-30 business days”. It is now August 2022 and I have called them every 2-4 weeks for the past year(!) to try to get this fixed, each time spending 1.4-4 hours on the phone!!

This has been the absolute worst nightmare experience and I would have to leave 1000 1-star reviews to even do this justice. Do not under any circumstances get Cigna! I’d rather go without insurance than ever get Cigna again!! Even if it is your cheapest option, save yourself the headache, because it may become the most expensive thing you’ll ever do.

Cigna Health Insurance response

Hello Kay, I am truly sorry for the trouble you have experienced with your policy. I want to help. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@Cigna.com, include your consumer affairs alias with your email outreach. Thanks-DN

Original review: July 20, 2022

What am I paying for??? First, they decide to not cover my brand name prescription...Tried to get it pre-authorized through my doctor (because the generic did not work as well for me) but NOPE, they said, "You have to pay for the whole prescription." So, after researching and talking with my doc, we decided to try the generic again for 90 days and do blood work to make sure I responded well to the generic. She sends prescription into CVS for me...Guess what??? CVS says I need pre-authorization from Cigna first before they can fill my prescription for a GENERIC???? What???? 3 hours of my life wasted...Finally the customer service rep gets in touch with CVS and authorizes my prescription!!! REALLY??? They will do anything not to pay for what you pay (A LOT) for to be covered for BASIC things. If you have a choice...don't choose Cigna!

Cigna Health Insurance response

Hello Catherine. I'm truly sorry for the trouble you.ve experienced with your prescriptions. I'd like to help in any way possible with your concerns. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@cigna.com. -K.S.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Absolutely a nightmare dealing with this company for my Medicare Advantage plan. I could write several pages about it from my extensive notes on all their screwups. Very hard to find a well reviewed PCP that accepts new patients in Central FL. As to a Dentist you have to travel at least 45 min away to get one and 3 months later! The first PCP I had was Adult Medicine of Lake County and they screwed up my paperwork on numerous occasions so I had to switch PCP's right away. Switching to a new PCP - I was told I could see the new one 13 days later at the beginning of the next month but they screwed THAT up. So I had to wait til the following month because the CSR at 800# didn't do the paperwork to get it done. So I lost 2 months right at the beginning just trying to get hooked up with a Primary Care Physician.

On several follow up calls regarding my eligibility to see the new PCP I was told "everything is okay" only to find out it was NOT okay. So I spent literally HOURS over the course of 7-8 calls trying to straighten out that mess. They kept saying I was fine and all was well but then when the Dr. Office told me it was NOT, I had to call back only to find out "No, it was NOT right... so back to the long phone calls trying to straighten it out! I filed a grievance about all this. I got a letter saying basically "we investigated ourselves and found no problem". What a joke! Turns out they did not even address the specific points of my grievance. Seems like a total white wash to me. I am going to file another grievance.

I don't know if this is a CIGNA problem or a Dr problem but all I know is, many appointments take at least a month of waiting and sometimes 3 months. So it seems they don't have enough doctors. Maybe because their doctors are bad or incompetent or ? My first PCP dr. screwed up my paperwork causing me to travel a half hour to a lab only to be told I could not get my blood taken because the PCP dr said I couldn't. (What?! I had already called the Dr office and they assured me I could get the blood tests there the next day!)

Getting a dentist? Crazy. 3 months out and only 2 possible dentists to go to and I live in central FL where it's very populated and they have plenty of dentists - just that none of the dentists will take the Preferred Plan I have. Now I have called to get an appt with a specialist for ear nose and throat and the office there called me to say they will hook me up with an appt with a Nurse Practitioner (!) but if I want to see a Doctor (which I do!) then that will be at least a month out from now... What? Dr appt needed and I'm given a nurse? WTH? In conclusion, CIGNA is absolutely horrible and as soon as I get my dental work done - if I even do - then I am getting the heck away from CIGNA. "5 stars" from Medicare?? What is that all about? How is that legit? Do NOT use Cigna is my recommendation.

Original review: July 5, 2022

Poor coverage. Cigna will take your coverage payments and work to avoid paying for services your PCP is requesting to determine the best care plan. They get third-party doctors who have no idea what your condition is to review referral requests for services by your PCP to determine coverage approval or denial. You could be in a ton of pain, and they’ll make you wait and suffer before they approve services, making it difficult for your PCP to develop the best care plan. Highly not recommended. Unfortunately, this insurer was chosen by my company after leaving United Health Care, not that they were much better, but compared to Cigna, UHC was above Cigna.

Original review: June 17, 2022

I tried going to a chiropractor, and was denied after 8 visits. I tried going to a physical therapist, and was denied after 8 visits, then approved I guess, then denied again. The stims and heat applied to my back was really helping me with my sciatica nerve pain. The theragun massage and stretching was also helpful in relieving my chronic pain. I am getting the message that Cigna and ASH together both feel that I should live in pain. When I call Cigna they point the finger of blame at their 3rd party nonsense provider ASH - American Specialty Health, who actively has their fingers poised over the DENY button. Terrible experience. I guess if I had known ahead of time that signing up for Cigna was actually like signing up for WHO KNOWS WHO depending on what type of help you need, I simply would not have signed up.

Cigna Health Insurance response

Hello Frank, I am truly sorry for the issues you are having with your coverage. I would be happy to assist. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@Cigna.com. Thanks-DN

Cigna author review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information