Cigna Health Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone yesterday trying to get the insurance company to talk to my child's doctor's office so that she could have an MRI done today. After 2 1/2 hours they still wouldn't approve the scan - so I now we have to wait 3 more days for them to speak to my child's doctor so that he can try to convince them she needs the scan. I have had the appointment for the MRI for 5 weeks now... and the day of the test I am told they didn't approve it. It is ridiculous that I have to be on the phone for 2 1/2 hours to try to get grown adults to talk to each other and do their jobs. We used to have United Healthcare through my husband’s job and they were fantastic. I have paid more out of pocket with Cigna over the last couple of years than I ever did with United Healthcare. I am going to file a complaint with my husband’s job - hoping they will change companies.

Where do I begin??? They lie, they tell you they have all your records or you don't need a certain one - then they send you a letter! BIG FAT LIARS. I still don't know why I fall asleep at the wheel, Cigna doesn't care. Cigna has decided that I did not need physical therapy after back surgery.

In May of this year, I got diverticulitis. After two rounds of antibiotics, my doctor ordered a CT Scan to make sure they were treating me correctly. Cigna ordered a medical review which after a week, the CT scan was still not approved and I was in extreme pain. My doctor told me to go to the ER which I did on 7/3/17. I went to an "In-Network" hospital. Cigna Connect does not pay anything on an "Out of Network" facility or physician. I was given a CT Scan and admitted for acute diverticulitis. In the week they were taking to decide whether to approve my CT Scan, they endangered my life by second-guessing my physician. I was in the hospital for two days with two different antibiotics being given to me intravenously. When I was released, I was sent home with two different antibiotics to be taken for 10 days. Just as before, after a couple of weeks of taking the antibiotic my pain returned.

When the bills for the hospitalization came in, very few of the physicians or specialist I saw in the hospital were covered by Cigna Connect. Never before when I have been hospitalized did I have to worry about whether the hospital affiliated people were covered in an "In-Network" facility. So instead of my maximum out of pocket amount being $1,110, it is now more like $5,000. On September 1, I went to see a new gastro specialist. He ordered a colonoscopy and set it up for the 11th of September. I stressed to his office that they had to make sure it was approved before I would have it done. They said a week out should be more than enough. Today when I called, they told me that the hospital had to get it approved, not the doctor that was performing the procedure. I just told them to forget it. I told my family if I die from colon cancer, to sue Cigna big time.

If I could give negative stars, that's all Cigna would receive. They are vile crooks and their insurance policy is a complete joke. I have been filing a claim for over 5 months and they finally resolved it this week. I was supposed to get 80% back after I covered the deductible, which I did. Instead of sending me a check for $320 like they were supposed to, they sent me a worthless check for $40. They "disallowed" the other charges even though they said they'd be covered after the deductible. I asked why they were disallowed and they couldn't tell me. How a company can allow the charges you paid and disallow every cent they are supposed to pay is beyond me. Then they charged me $1200 for an anesthesiologist that I've used multiple times and is in network. I'm so upset that my husband's work got switched to them.

I've had nothing but trouble with them and all of the other insurance companies I have used in the past are much more accommodating. I've spent more out of pocket with Cigna than any of my previous 4 insurance companies combined. They've denied my nausea meds for a serious stomach condition that makes me extremely sick. They wouldn't pay for compounded meds when I couldn't keep pills down. They denied a CT scan for pancreatitis. If you can avoid them, stay away from this insurance company.

In 30 years of employment, I have had health insurance with numerous companies. None of them - none - has ever come close to Cigna for sheer awfulness. I would prefer to deal with the cable company than Cigna. At least with the former, I'm pretty sure I will receive some service for the money I pay. When Cigna first denied coverage for the treatment of my child's very significant medical issues - treatment that was strongly recommended by multiple licensed health professionals - we chalked it up to bad luck in carriers but continued to submit what claims for that portion of his care we were told would be covered. Even this small portion, however, has been denied.

For the past two years, instead of our focus being solely on our child, we have lost countless hours wrestling with Cigna to simply provide the service we paid for. Claims are slow-walked and take months to process, irrelevant or previously provided information is repeatedly demanded and the explanation for non-payment and/or denial changes from day-to-day. We wait months for payment when it comes at all. After contacting Cigna "Customer Service" regarding a claim that had been pending for three months, we were assured that we shouldn't be concerned since "all claims are processed within 7-10 business days".

When we further pushed for payment for multiple long-pending claims, we were confirmed that our current and previous claims would be "audited". Today we received a letter telling us we had been overpaid (?!) for a claim and seeking repayment. This despite the fact that, in the past two years, we have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars (most borrowed) out of our own pocket on our child's care while Cigna has paid a few thousand dollars. It is unconscionable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Cigna's answers to questions are vague. Plus I was triple charged for 3 months following the month after signup with quote. They still haven't resolved issue on record keeping and address.

I have been waiting for a claim to be reimbursed for since December 2016 and it is now August 2017. Though it is not a lot of money, the issue is that the medicine was not delivered on time due to no fault of my own. It was UPS that ** my delivery so I had to request my doctor to order my medicine from another pharmacy and pay out of pocket. This is really bad on Cigna's side as my premium is very high and yet I get this crappy service. I will giving this feedback to my HR group and will look forward to switching the healthcare to the insurance that cares about its customers and/or at least charges less premium. For the price paid to this insurance company, I am extremely dissatisfied by the service. I am giving this review so other companies can see this and NOT choose Cigna as its primary provider.

I went to my family doctor for severe pain in my back. He sent me to a spine surgeon. I have a tumor on my spine. The spine surgeon said they needed an MRI to see how deep it is and what's it surrounding. I had to get approval from Cigna for this. I missed my first appointment due to it not being approved. A week later another appointment was set and the hospital called me the day before and said it was denied. That I needed to do physical therapy. I asked the woman who was dealing with it how to do physical therapy on a tumor? She said I don't even know how they came up with this. It was coded correctly. She then told me to contact cigna and fight it.

This insurance has not coved one medication except for a few dollars and no doctor appointment and now I am stuck with a very painful tumor. I am not sure what to do next. They did tell me that if they happened to approve it my portion would be 700.00. How is this even legal? I have to pay for insurance but have no way of getting health care!

Since I started getting my prescriptions through Cigna, on my second refill my prescriptions went up by $22 more. So it cost over $223 to get my medication. Within 90 days the person talking on the other end said that's your out-of-pocket cost. Ask him why it cost went up? She says it's your responsibility to pay out of pocket. The previous company that I was with for my medical, I didn't pay as much it went up by more than doubled. I think that Cigna Health program prescription drug program is more concerned about their back pocket. This continues to rise each 90 days I will not afford to pay for my medication. Something needs to be done.

I don't understand how this company is used for an established institution. They are totally mismanaged. I am waiting 3 months + on a claim payment that was supposedly sent to a wrong address and then thrice called and spoke with them for 30 or more minutes. Reps say they will call back and never do. No one follows up. No claim payment, no check, no one can say where it is or why it's not been paid. Total waste of time and money. Now I owe a provider and have no $$$ to pay them. Thanks Cigna for making my life harder!!!

In November of 2016 my husband and I switched Medicare supplement providers from CIGNA to AARP after CIGNA had two consecutive, very large increases. In December after we were approved by AARP, we called CIGNA to cancel our existing policies. No confirmation of any kind was sent to either of us. Once our January bank statement came in we realized my EFT was discontinued, my husband's was not. We called CIGNA and were told that they would send us forms. If we provided proof of coverage, we could get a refund. It took over two weeks to get the forms, and by that time they drafted another EFT payment. Ultimately, they stopped taking payments in March, but refused to refund January and February. Their reasoning: They are only required by law to refund payments if you change to a Medicare Advantage program, because that replaces regular medicare.

We have been trying to resolve this issue for over five months and are getting nowhere fast. The bank expects you to work with the vendor first, and CIGNA drags things out forever. Our bank says the time lapse is too long and they cannot do anything. Don't buy CIGNA, you will be sorry. And if you have to change carriers, go to your bank and block all future EFTs to protect yourself!

I have had many occasions where emails went unanswered, despite many re-sends. These were to do with a potential operation that Cigna require pre advice of, to designate a preferred hospital. Premium increases were in the order of 15% per annum, high for the industry and I elected to change providers, finding another company with almost identical coverage and my choice of medical provider. Canceling my policy has resulted in a denial of a refund of premium. The 'accounts' section claim it is because of a claim during my coverage period.

I submitted a receipt for blood test work (that I had already paid for) recently and was advised I was not covered for this procedure. How that could possibly constitute a 'claim' is beyond me. I have asked they review the request and will post here any developments. My advice: look elsewhere for international health coverage. Cigna are difficult to deal with, uncommunicative and expensive by comparison with other providers that also rate more highly in customer satisfaction scores I have seen.

It’s been more than 4 weeks since I submitted the claim, and whenever I contact customer care team, I was advised to wait for 10 business days. Also they rejected the first claim even though it was within the policy date, after talking to a customer care agent they accepted that it's their fault and now re-processing that claim. Worst health insurance company.

Like so many other reviews, I was not given the information that the pharmacy part would be a $200/copy per year for brand name drugs. Never had that before. I have to have ** (no generic available). Usually $35 with Aetna, NOW $135 for the first dose until next year with Cigna. I am a retired school teacher forced to take the insurance offered by my school district bec Obama care is over $800 for me. The school just changed to this insurance at an out of pocket expense of $494/month. They are very inconsiderate when I call, telling me I should've known this already. I didn't and also didn't have a choice. I cannot afford the extra $ on my scrawny retirement pay check.

Cigna is a complete scam. They pick and choose claims on same day of service and stick you with all the bills. It's highly illegal what they are doing. Be warned if you go to an in-network hospital through the ER. They can claim DR's in in-network hospital are not in-network. I want to start class action.

I was completely misinformed when I chose Cigna Local Plus insurance company. My only instructions were to check that my doctors and medications would be covered. I did that. My doctors were covered, but none of the hospitals associated with those doctors were. I underwent surgery and now have about $6000 worth of bills that are out of network. The doctors office, as well as the hospital, all checked my insurance and assumed the procedure was covered, as it always is with other plans. However, no one knew they only cover certain facilities.

So there's that. On another issue I went to see a doctor that I chose that WAS associated with a hospital in network (30 minutes away), and he wanted me to get an x-ray, however the offsite facility they use is not covered. I have to find a place that is in network and get a disc of the x-ray and bring it to him before I can go any further. Not that it matters, I have no money left for any more doctor visits or physical therapy. Physical therapy was another issue, the locations may be in network, but none or only 1 of the PTs are in network. I'm paying over 700 per month for this gem of a policy, and from the reviews I at least know I am not alone.

I have been denied testing, and medication both from CIGNA. I am currently post-op on two tests that they denied me for and once I got the test approved, it showed that I needed surgical intervention. I am currently waiting medication that I need for pain, and they have rejected that as well. This is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life.

After paying full annual Deductible as well as all Co-Pays, got hit with a bill for Anesthesia in recent operation, since Anesthesiologist was deemed "out of network". I suppose it's my fault for not checking individually with every single medical tech, nurse, doctor or health care professional involved in any way in or out of the hospital, whether during pre-op, post-op, follow up therapy or during the operation as to whether they were "in network." Also note that by deeming the anesthesia out of network, the $2k uncovered bill doesn't count toward annual out-of-pocket maximum cap. Be warned--if you don't check network status with every single health care provider who provides any kind of service to you, Cigna will deny coverage. Seriously doubt any Hospital would agree to use an unknown "in network" anesthesiologist they've never heard of, regardless. Very clever Cigna!

On 1/26/17 I had a stress echocardiogram. I called Cigna and spoke to "Brenda" who said that this test would be covered. I also received a letter from Cigna stating that my cardiologist requested that they review and approve the service. The letter stated "after reviewing your medical information, we approved this request." Now I am being billed & 1,763.0l for the test. I called Cigna and was told that it was not covered due to the facility where it was conducted. Why was that never explained or even mentioned when I initially called to see if it was covered or in the response letter generated after the doctor inquired. I was told that I could appeal it and given an address to write to. I have never heard anything back regarding the appeal. Terrible customer service; terrible insurance company.

My employer switched from Aetna to Cigna in March 2017. Since then, this company has given me nothing but headaches, and I am relatively healthy. They treat me like a criminal. I take a medication for ADHD and for depression and I go to counseling for those two issues. That's it. I take ** and generic **. Every single month, when I fill my medications, Cigna denies it, I have to appeal, and I end up going weeks without my medications until they finally get around to approving it. For people who have taken psychotropic medications, you know what it's like to not be able to take your medications for a couple weeks out of every month. It messes with my brain chemistry and sends me into a tailspin of depression and ADHD symptoms until I can get my medications again.

My therapist is so frustrated with this ordeal because she is forced to help me stay functional while we fight for my medications every month. I have called Cigna in excess of thirty times in three months, begging for someone to give a darn that I can't get my medications. They don't care one bit. Everyone I talk to refuses to take my appeal, says it's not their job, or transfers me around to get rid of my call until I give up. It's absolutely horrific. I don't even have words to describe how horrible this company is. They have not a care in the world that I can't get my psychotropic medications for weeks out of every month and don't seem to understand that the constant on and off again of my medication is wreaking havoc with my brain chemistry.

This month, June 2017, I finally got my meds on June 14th. Five days into the meds, I was robbed at gunpoint, shot at, and had a very traumatic experience. My medications were in my purse that was stolen. I called Cigna to find out what to do, since the doctor they pay would not return my calls; her staff claimed medication refills are not urgent and no one seemed to care one bit that I was the victim of a violent crime. Cigna reported that "lost or stolen medications are not covered" and that I cannot get more meds until next month on July 14th. Combined with the stress of being robbed at gunpoint, I am again in a crisis situation, and can't even get more medication, despite the fact that I have a police report, photos of the damage when I was shot at, and my therapist and doctor confirming that I was robbed and shot at and that I am in crisis mode right now.

To be creative, when I finally got in to see my doctor six days later, my doctor finally tried changing my medications entirely so that I would have something to take before July 14th to help me stabilize my symptoms. But you guessed it, Cigna denied those as well. I literally can get no medications until July 14th and I am stuck in hell. Run far away from these people. They are heartless, cruel, and they don't give a crap about their client's health care. I have no idea how they get away with this, but they do. I am so tired of fighting with them, I cannot even fight anymore. RUN. Do not pay these people any of your money.

I am unfortunately a customer of Cigna HealthSpring. Customer ID **. I should have known from 2016, the same problems I had then would carry over to 2017, they DID. I signed up with Cigna HealthSpring mainly for their Ride to the Doctor service. Suffice to say 2016, I was forgotten, lost in paperwork, but mainly denied services agreed upon. DO note that 2017 has NOT been any different. Note also that Cigna does provide this service (stated in its Cigna's Customer's Handbook, Ride to Doctors service), but I have been denied this very service, being able to receive annuals, screenings, well being appts, lab services, dental appointments etc.

Cigna for me as a customer HAS been in NON-COMPLIANCE. Since, this has happened too many times this year. I have been borrowing money for 'transportation'. Enabled in getting to my appointments by cabs, my health my problems. Whatever, is being paid for this 'insurance' is a ONE-WAY service... to Cigna HealthSpring ONLY.

I have noticed, in the past few years, that CIGNA has started to take a very long time to process the large claims. In this way, I have been well over the required $3000 out-of-pocket before Cigna acknowledges it and starts paying for claims. For example, this year, I still have a claim for $1754.15 that is still "in processing." The claim date was January 23, 2017. Today is June 15, 2017. If Cigna would have processed that claim, I would have met my deductible by the end of January. Since then, our family has paid an additional $2939.06 and Cigna has still not started contributing.

I asked them if they will refund me that extra money once they get around to processing the claim and they said that they will not. So, for my family alone, Cigna doesn't have to pay about $7000 with a high deductible plan that requires my portion to be $3000. They are saving a lot of money. Who else has the same experience with Cigna? We probably have a good case for a class action lawsuit.

Although most of their reps try to be helpful and are very nice, they are not trained and their systems are a joke. The information is never updated on the site properly and they can't seem to resolve even the easiest issues. I have an HRA with them and the balance isn't matching the claims so I called. I've been on the phone with them for 45 minutes already and they still can't figure it out. Should be a simple thing for them to figure out since the claims are all listed, but they can't seem to do it. I dread calling them, knowing I'm going to be on the phone for an hour every time.

My account cancellation was effective May 5th. Cigna has sent multiple bills for the entire month for May. I have called 4 times to prorate the bill and was prepared each time to pay for the 5 days I was covered. Each time, they told me that I had to pay for the whole month, though I did not have coverage, and that they will refund me for the prorated amount asap. Now, I think we can all agree, this is not fair to the consumer. You are asking for someone to pay for services they DID NOT receive and to be confident that Cigna will refund your money. This is a loan in every sense of the word. Cigna is asking me to loan them money that they "will refund".

Why would anyone be comfortable paying a company for services that they did not receive? Why would Cigna want more internal paperwork that accompanies taking funds that they will inevitably have to return. According to Cigna, their "system" cannot prorate. Now let's take a second to think about this... it's 2017. We do everything online and on our phones. YET Cigna cannot manage to mathematically prorate a bill. Their "computers" cannot do the math that is required to prorate. Premium divided by days in the month (in this case 31), multiply the answer by the 5 days I had coverage = what I owe for 5 days. There. I have done it for you, Cigna - not keeping me healthy.

I went to a Cigna clinic. They referred me to another doctor. They did not tell me the referral was "out of network". Then when I appealed because it was Cigna who sent me to the out of network provider, they denied my claim. They completely ignored my written appeal and simply said that it was denied because I went out of network.

This is the worst company I ever dealt with. I canceled my insurance by calling their phone number. But these guys kept on charging my checking account. I called customer service to get refund. They said, "Send us written request." I sent it. Waited for month or so. Then again I call. They said they did not get it. Again I call. They said they don't have record I ever canceled. Finally I demanded that my call be played and reviewed. They reviewed and confirmed I called to cancel but still refused to issue refund. Finally I file a complaint with Texas Insurance and someone named Leslie ** contacts me months after that by email and tells me that they will issue the refund.

Months pass but no refund. I contact them again. Finally some named **, Danielle makes excuse that they don't have my correct bank information to do refund. My question is how the heck did you send me partial refund then... It is over a year and still have not got majority of my refund. All in all wasted 30-40 hours with these guys and they absolutely refused to compensate me for all that time I spend to correct their own mistake.

I have had nothing but a headache dealing with this company. First, I was out on short term disability for debilitating mother migraines, seizures (witnessed by my PCP) end up in the hospital for questionable stroke. CT scan results "evidence of blood by product breakdown" but no acute bleeding. I was told I had a TIA and should not be having any issues as a result. The neurologist called in a psychiatrist who said I had a conversion disorder after a 5 minute conversation and English as a second language. This was September of 2016. I continue to have shakiness, drag my right foot when I walk, horrible migraines, vision problems in my left eye, seizures (after a video EEG told I do not have epilepsy), short- term memory issues, skin rashes, mispronounce words or can't think of words, total exhaustion and chronic pain. My PCP is the one who wrote me out of work until Dec 2017.

After 8 weeks of calls, begging, and crying I was finally approved for short term. Every 3 weeks I would have to send in MD notes from dry visits for it to be approved for another three weeks... three weeks later I'm having to send more notes. And they never get the Dr notes without you calling them 3-4 times a week before they miraculously appear. This went on the whole time I was on short term. It's out and now we are trying to transition to long term. I just thought short term was a mess!!!! I have been out of short term since April 18th... still waiting on approval. I had a rheumatologist appointment three weeks ago, a neurologist appointment yesterday, an MRI tomorrow and an endocrinologist appointment June 5th. Follow up with rheumatology on June 13th.

After numerous phone calls and being told the rheumatologist did not send requested records, case worker tells me they did get the notes from the MD physical assessment but could not approve it because it's subjective data. They need lab work (which I had done that shows a positive ANA) and tests plus notes from all the other DRs appointments before they have "justification". I told her that I had an MRI scheduled for tomorrow and she said she'd request those notes from the rheumatologist office. OMG are you freaking kidding me!?!?

In the meantime I'm in a recovery program to keep from going into foreclosure and losing my house, my husband just finished chemo treatments for colon cancer. My PCP originally wrote me out until Dec 2017 and they are completely disregarding her notes but made me apply for disability through social security. My PCP thought I had Lupus but we will see when I have my follow up with rheumatologist.

In the meantime my bills keep coming with no money coming in... I've held down a job since the age of 17. I would give this company ZERO stars but I couldn't. I'm probably gonna get approved through SS disability before this company. If the Dr assessment is subjective then why do we use their testimony in court? Cigna needs to be put out of business.

They do not discount anything, a waste of time and money. I pay them monthly for nothing! My daughter has been seeing a therapist, they denied the coverage, which doesn't discount the visits anyway. Never again will I be with Cigna.

My company just changed health care coverage to Cigna. Boy it stinks! I had Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield last year. I have 5 RX scripts that are ALL generic. Last year the total 5 scripts (for a 3 months coverage) was $42... This year with Cigna $168!!! WT_F... I can't believe it. I asked the pharmacist if I was getting non-generic and she said... Nope! They are all generic. I was shocked. She said... Yeaaa she couldn't understand the higher cost. That is a 300% increase!! and I'm paying 40% more for my coverage (think the company is keeping the increase). OK... I will pay the 40% increase, but the 300% more for RX cost on top of that is ridiculous! Cigna sucks!

I was not aware insurance carriers had complete and final decision-making power for determining what treatment options are appropriate for specific health conditions. I was naive in thinking that was the role of my doctor(s). Cigna Healthcare has denied coverage for me to receive a surgery that has been recommended by several different doctors and specialists. I am left with no other options but to continue to suffer through excruciating pain from a problem that has left me unable to work, sleep, or enjoy the simplest aspects of everyday life. Why do I pay $1,200 per month for healthcare that is denied to me by the insurer?

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.
  • Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.
  • Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.
  • Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.
  • Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Students