Cigna Health Insurance
  • 1 star
Based on 99 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Cigna Health Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 12, 2017

619 Cigna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I had no choice but to take this insurance through my employer. It is a big scam! They don't want to pay for anything, and make you earn reward points/jump through hurdles just to get the basic coverages that any other health insurance agent would cover. I tried logging into their online portal and have not been able to do so for over a week. When I called, they said they were in the process of updating their site and I was then redirected to another number. When I called the new number, they had was a bunch of soliciting messages about free oil and signing up for the gym etc. Seriously, what health provider tries to sell you other items?!?

I tried bypassing this questionnaire to get to a tech person but was unsuccessful. I then called back the original number and had to argue for 15 minutes to speak to a manager. I was then put on hold for 30 minutes, and then the line auto hung up. So now what? I can't get into my account, no customer service, an hour wasted, and I am stuck still paying them every month out of my paycheck for nothing!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

If you have a choice to go with a different insurance company I would advise you do so. I had several medical complications following my delivery. I stayed in the hospital all together over 3 weeks. I had to have blood transfusions & several surgical procedures. Needless to say Cigna made it extremely difficult & did not want to pay me. Steer clear from Cigna if you can.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Cigna is denying treatment I have been receiving for 10 years! I have Blepharospasm and require injections to hold my eyes open. This is a covered benefit but they say it is not medically necessary. When I offered to send 10 years of medical records they refused to accept them. I am functionally blind without treatment and they won't budge to help me.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Four years of being customer, used to be so pleasant to call in and get answers to my insurance coverage QTs. They had a survey at end of each call to relay your evaluation of the call experience quality. Now my question seem to get lost in the maze of people that answer calls out of country and half rude American call center. And 40 minutes go by bouncing between transfers, can’t get answers and can’t get the right department. Cigna! You cost so much $, and has really deteriorated in quality of customer service.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I've had a lot of health insurances in my life (private, Medicaid, military, even VA) and Cigna seems particularly troublesome. A couple issues: They screw things up. First, when we were adding someone to the plan, they added the wrong person and we had to go through a process to correct it. Commonly, I'll sit through long phone menus just trying to reach an agent and be transferred to the wrong extension or number.

Complicated/adversarial claims process. My husband has Cigna as his primary, and also my health insurance (through my job) as secondary. Working with Cigna on this has been the most painstaking process. He went to the ER a couple months ago, for example, and they are withholding payment from the hospital because he has other insurance (even though they're primary). A large portion of his medication is not covered. Several of our providers have had difficulty over receiving reimbursement through Cigna, and as a result have limited our services. There are other examples, but these are the ones that come to mind. Don't choose Cigna. They can only make your life worse. Grade F.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I couldn't find the right person to talk to, ever. They kept telling me I was talking to the wrong department. I couldn't get a refund. Finally, about 3 months ago I finally cancelled my service. At least that's what I thought, until today they subtracted $240 from my bank account. I am now over withdrawn and I am furious.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I have been diagnosed with esophagus cancer and need a pet scan. However the doctors at the insurance office where half my paycheck goes every week know better than the cancer doctors who have requested the pet scan. If the specialist can’t get the test they need because my “insurance” company “or criminal organization“ can play god then what the point in paying so much a month for insurance.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I was very pleased with the doctors in the network however Cigna will NOT approve the hospital these doctors do surgery in! I have a Medicare HMO with Cigna and yes they will give the referral but that does not mean they will pay the bill!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I'm now 3 months without a check from Cigna. I am the victim of a hit and run. They stopped sending me a check. I didn't even know for a month as work was paying 25%. So I was receiving a check from them. But when you're laid you in bed dealing with a bunch of new pain meds it's very hard to know what all is happening. So I call to restart claim. I was working with Clint for two months though he never returns calls. The few times I got him he asked me to have all info recent to him. Then he called and left a message very rudely starting the case was closed and he didn't know why I was calling?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

The customer service reps don't know their jobs. They definitely need way more training on how to read policies. They tell people the wrong information.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

If you have a choice do not select Cigna. Both physicians and members are so frustrated with working with this company because this company seems to put their own members’ health at risk in order to boost Cigna's profit. Stop. Select another carrier. Issue: Your doctor has no control on your healthcare... My physician ordered test only to have a Medical Review department deny testing, therefore, putting your own health at risk. Of course, you will not experience this issue until you become sick yourself. WARNING... DO NOT SELECT CIGNA... OUR PHYSICIANS HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THIS COMPANY PUTTING PROFITS FIRST!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I've had 4 medical insurance companies in my life and Cigna is the worst by far! They dictate your healthcare as they believe they know what's best for you. CIGNA could care less what your doctor's recommendations are, they only care about money! I've had two Me I'd denied this year without jumping through China's hoops, i.e. physical therapy or other alternative treatments. I recently had a prescription denied even though they covered it the previous month, Cigna believes there cheaper alternatives. I might add they gave me zero notice.

When I went to pick up my refill I learned it was denied. And third they want me to rent to own a new CPAP machine over 10 months. They'd like to go this route because I'm only about a hundred dollars from my max out of pocket for the year, it's November and they want to push this into next year so I can pay for the whole $1700 dollar machine. IF you have a choice I'd stay away from Cigna! Oh, when you to discuss denials, understand you will be allowed to speak to anyone with any authority!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I changed jobs in March 2017 and the only health care option was Cigna. I woke up one Sunday morning and my eye was swollen and my head hurt really bad, I went on the Cigna website to find an urgent care that was in network from their site and found one close to my home. At urgent care they said it's pink eye and gave me an Rx and sent me home. Then next morning it was worse and my whole head was swollen. Not yet having a PCP I opt for an ER knowing it was going to cost me a bit more than an urgent care. I felt it was an emergency and worth the extra fees. I was told it's cellulitis at the ER and given 3 medications and sent home. I ended up with a bill of over 2000.00 from the ER and 152.00 from urgent care Cigna sent letters saying they saved me money of about a total of 200.00 wtf. They are a rip-off. Pay for nothing with this company. They are a shame.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I first ask anyone with a CIGNA issue to file a grievance with your state and federal Health and Human Services Department, and Office of Civil Rights. I have TOO MANY grievances against Cigna to list. They lie, refuse service, and have caused GREAT DAMAGE to my health. They refuse to answer my grievance. I made a complaint regarding an overpayment to an imaging center, and inability to collect it. Cigna's response was to "if you are unhappy with your health care you can change your PCP any time." That was their answer to resolving an overpayment issue.

I have been trying to contact a supervisor in the grievance department, but am always told that "she isn't in today". I have been told that four working days in a row. As I write this, I have been on hold for 40 minutes, waiting for a supervisor to speak to me. I have already drafted a complaint letter to Cigna, for the purpose of sending copies to Medicare, and every state and federal health insurance and civil rights organization I can find! I will also reach out for legal assistance, and can only hope that the MANY people who are complaining, also file a grievance with your state Health and Human Services as well as US Health and Human Services. It only takes 25 people and a savvy attorney to file a sure-win class action suit against Cigna. Please help me to accomplish that.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I have had Cigna for my health insurance for about 3 years. In 2016 around June, I received a statement that my premium would go up by $48.00 per month. All that was stated was that an "adjustment" needed to be made. Ok, fine. So, I paid the increased amount the rest of the year. In 2017, I paid my premium every month on time. In March, my online statement said I owed 8 times what I normally pay. I probably called 3 times a month for 3 months because I would call and be told a different amount that was owed.

It never really added up. I was finally told that I owed for Jan - June of 2016 because I didn't pay the "adjusted" amount... wow!!! It took them over a year to figure out I owed money from 2016??? Again, I would talk to a number of different customer service reps and would get a different answer and different amount every time. Finally, in May of 2017 they told me the bottom line of what I owed for 2016. I paid it and thought I was done with it. NO, not even close. Today (October 31, 2017), I went to pay my premium online and it was 5 times what I normally pay. I sat on the phone, yet again for 2 hours. And guess what... what was online was even incorrect... (surprise surprise).

I was told it was for the adjusted amount for 2016. It is actually 10 times what I now pay for my premium. Really, Cigna, almost 2 years to figure out I owe you money??? Unbelievable. I have also never received a statement in the mail or via email stating I owe this money. No wonder people get screwed over by insurance companies all the time. Cigna is definitely the absolute worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Thank god it is the end of the year... I won't be using them ever again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have CIGNA Health Care as my primary health care, and on May 11th, 2016 I had a colonoscopy, which should have been paid in full under my coverage. On October 12th, 2017 I received a bill from the hospital who did my colonoscopy for $113.40, which was odd because it should have all been paid by CIGNA. Unbeknownst to me, CIGNA wrongly processed my claim as an "out of network" claim, so the claim was not paid in full. Not knowing that my insurance should have paid in full, my husband had paid the original bill from the hospital in the amount of $713.40 when it was due. After I did some digging and realized that we had paid $713.40, that was not our responsibility, I called CIGNA only to be told that it’s too late to file an appeal, so for being good people and paying our bills on time, we are now out over $700.00!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

You do all the work for them. I am very frustrated with the whole process of submitting every claim personally, I spend a lot of time as if I had nothing more serious to do than this! Also their information on the website about what they reimburse and what not is really not detailed and the surprise: no claim!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I suffer from an autoimmune condition resulting in physical changes that can be emotionally traumatic. From the age of 16, this disease was plaguing me and hijacking my quality of life. A medication was prescribed to me, and I was hopeful of the benefits. Previously, I was on Blue Cross Blue Shield and received this medication completely free of charge two days after calling BCBS. The medication worked wonders on me -- a 100% recovery from the disease I had suffered for almost a decade. I got a new job in May and was give Cigna through my work. This may have been the biggest mistake I had ever made. On August 3, I called to get a refill of my medication, 3 week before I ran out of my remaining supply. I figured I was being proactive ordering it so early. My usual pharmacy said Cigna prevented them from filling the prescription and that I had to go through Cigna Specialty Pharmacy.

Fine, I thought, this may just add a couple days to getting the medicine. I called Cigna to 2 weeks. Each time I called, they would say they could mark it as "urgent" to speed up the process, but this happened every single phone call I made -- meaning no one actually ever marked it as "urgent". I kept calling and, after 2 weeks of zero progress, they told me they wanted a prior authorization from my doctor. This was sent in (at this point I was down to just a few days left of medication), and over 2 weeks later they called to say they would not cover my prescription. In the most nonchalant tone possible, the representative said I could "simply" pay the cash price. I asked what it was, thinking it wasn't a huge amount. For a 90-day supply? $12,000. I said things to this representative I never knew I could say to someone.

Next, my doctor got me accepted into a patient assistance program through the manufacturer, but then the company called me to say we would need to file an appeal to Cigna's decision to not cover the medicine, and that appeal would have to be denied in order for my enrollment in their assistance program. So, we started the appeal process. On September 21, 2017, (a month and a half after initially trying to have my prescription filled and almost a month after I ran out of the medication), someone called to say the appeal was submitted. On September 28, 2017, someone called again to say "your appeal was just submitted", and I broke out in argument about how someone had said that a week ago -- what were they doing for a whole week to where they called to give me the same news? On September 28, I was told the decision would be made in 72 hours. On October 3 (yesterday), I hadn't heard back, so I called.

I was told it would actually take 30 days to fill the prescription. I contested that I had been told 72 hours last week, but the new representative told me it would 30 days and that I could get my doctor to call to expedite the process. Today (October 4), my doctor called to expedite the process, and I called Cigna to see how it was going. They told me their clinical staff can overwrite the option to expedite the appeal, so it will still take 72 hours. *But* there is still an option for my doctor to engage in a peer-to-peer conversation with a member of the clinical staff to get it expedited, which I will desperately try to set up tomorrow. For readers out there, I hope it was as frustrating to read this as it has been to experience it and type it. I've never given a negative review online, but this has truly been a disaster. Staff has been sassy, and I frankly think they ignore every request because it's not in the system the next time I call.

The insurance industry is corrupt, but at least through Blue Cross Blue Shield it was free and in my hands in two days. It was been over two months and Cigna has kept adding rules to this process that have made it a disaster. Here I am, two months later, my symptoms raging, and there's not much I can do. I'm at a point where I am applying to a different job just for the sake of having a different insurance company. Cigna, you are corrupt, not supportive, and inefficient. Hoping I can find a new job soon so I can forever separate myself from Cigna. Do NOT write a response to this about being sorry for my experience, Cigna.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have been with Cigna for as many years I been employed with the large medical company, till this day. I choose the high deductible because we do not use our insurance. The only times my medical, dental (cleaning) and vision (glasses) has been used is in accordance to annual checkup and mandatory physical. Hence, we are fit and physically active people. For the first time this year my daughter has been diagnosed with a disease. Her primary care physician and a specialist both prescribed her on a exact same medication that did not have generic brand yet on the market. Cigna refused and both doctors submitted request/appeal twice so that's 4x request and appeal.

Cigna stated that they have their own doctors and pharmacist that decides what a patients need. That is **! If that's the case then we need to see their doctor instead of the specialist and primary care physician. Why do we have the option to choose our own doctor and pay excess amount of money if Cigna decides what medication we can take? They also dictates to the doctor on what labs is necessary. Refused to pay for labs, refused to pay for medication and refused to pay for vaccination. This new law changes this year not only affects Medicare and Medicaid patients but commercial insurance as well. But we middle income people suffers the most. Without inquiring the participants of what is covered and no longer covered, without information given on how many days you have to file the claims even if it's required by the Federal School System that children must be immunized.

Cigna said 100% preventive coverage, yet only if claims is filed under 180 days. Would it be better to quit our jobs and become low income and depend on welfare? I'm assuming that this timing allows insurance company to find the loop hole and take advantage of the fine line. The fine line does not make sense, we have to pay more to afford medical insurance yet if we can't afford it you going to be fine if you don't pay the fine you may be jailed? What in the world has this country gone into. I hope our medical companies sees these crooks and put them out of business. Watch out folks, if you been given a choice stay away from Cigna.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

It is unbelievable what this company is getting away with. I was scheduled for an SI Joint fusion and Cigna denied my claim to cover it. After many appeals from myself and my surgeon for 4+ years I became completely bedridden. My situation deteriorated drastically and after a while of not getting the surgery I needed I was not able to walk, stand or even sit up. Eventually I had to get on Social security disability and within 2 months of being on Medicare I had my surgery. It is insane that I have spent the last few years of my life learning to walk and even drive a car again because my insurance company denied my claim saying it was not "medically necessary." Now the government had to pay for what my medical insurance refused to.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

My husband had 3 bulging disk where two of the vertebras were rubbing bone to bone to the point where the bone starting chipping off. My husband could barely walk to bathroom which was less than 10' without assistance in extreme pain. They denied his long term disability saying he has a manager job he needs to work. So they wanted him to drive all drugged up on pain pills, couldn't sit upright and barely walk. We had to appeal which we won but my husband had to wait another 2 months for surgery which fusions in his L3-5. Then they told him once he gets the surgery he will get his long term disability. Well he finally got surgery but guess what? They closed his account and has to appeal that now and now telling us it will be 45 days or more to receive an outcome.

But in The meantime we will lose our house, his vehicle and all our credit cards will be against our credit that we worked so hard for, barely getting by even with groceries. WORST insurance ever. They don't buckle up. NO doctors will use them. On top of that they are saying he probably won't get paid the days he should of worked. The least compassionate people ever. I had to call 3-5x a week for them stay on his case prior to surgery. A different story each time we called.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I am having difficulty trying to understand why I am paying thousand of dollars out of pocket for a minor Foot surgery. I'm talking thousands plus paying a copay everytime I go back for a follow up or a complication from the surgery. I do not like Cigna at all. They get my payment every 2 weeks because I have to have insurance but they pay nothing. I had Excellus before my company switched to this low grade company. Never ever paid this much out of pocket. I'm left with taking out a loan from my 401k to pay these bills. I do not like Cigna at all. If your company switched to them beware. It's horrible. And their customer service read from a script. They're clueless half the time. I pray for some kind of relief from this low grade company. They pay nothing. You're better off just doing it alone because it sure feels like I am.

I feel like crap. And feel like I'm being ripped off. And taking health assessments twice a year, that's crap too. And smokers that don't admit they're smokers are supposed to be paying more for their insurance. They lie and don't pay but we still have to pay what we have to pay when they should be paying more. Like I said previously I feel like I'm being ripped off. I should be reimbursed for all the money from the people that lie about their smoking habits. Why can't they test them to see if they have nicotine in their systems or lower my rates. I know that pisses a lot of people off because they lie but how is that fair that I pay more or about the same for people that should be paying a lot more.

How can you make up specific guidelines and rules for people that don't follow them. And the ones that do get screwed over. They offer no perks, no incentives and look at the tiniest little bitty stuff on these easements and tell you how to improve your health. I am a fitness instructor, teach 3 to 4 times a week and they say, "Be more active." LMAO. Really? They deny procedures. You have to beg or have your Dr have a peer to peer phone call explaining why I needed a CAT scan before brain surgery. O and good luck to try to get an MRI. Can't stand them.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I filed my claim on August 31 2017. They told me it was going to take about 3 days to process. Well on the 3 day I did not hear from them. So I decided to call them back. They told me they was waiting on the doctors to call back. Well if I did not give them a call they would left my case on hold. After I told my case worker my next doctor's appointment was on that following Friday but still no check. So I found another doctor that can take me before then but still no check. I sent in all the paperwork I had from every doctors' office but still no check and all they are saying is, "We are processing the information and it going to take more time." It's been about 3 weeks and I have not received any money but paid for this insurance every week to get get a runaround.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

My husband had Cigna insurance through his company, that was deducted from his check each week. While still insured through them, he had gone to the doctors, paid his copay, and everything was submitted and covered through the insurance company. However, a few months later his company switched insurance companies due to inadequate service. So Cigna decided to no longer cover his doctor's visit, that occurred under their plan while they collected the premiums to cover it. Now we have a large doctor's bill to pay. I'm pretty sure when you're getting paid to provide a service and decide to keep that payment and spitefully refuse the service, that is considered fraud. His company and him have been going rounds with these people for the last few months and we are getting nowhere. Stay far away from Cigna, they are nothing but crooks.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone yesterday trying to get the insurance company to talk to my child's doctor's office so that she could have an MRI done today. After 2 1/2 hours they still wouldn't approve the scan - so I now we have to wait 3 more days for them to speak to my child's doctor so that he can try to convince them she needs the scan. I have had the appointment for the MRI for 5 weeks now... and the day of the test I am told they didn't approve it. It is ridiculous that I have to be on the phone for 2 1/2 hours to try to get grown adults to talk to each other and do their jobs. We used to have United Healthcare through my husband’s job and they were fantastic. I have paid more out of pocket with Cigna over the last couple of years than I ever did with United Healthcare. I am going to file a complaint with my husband’s job - hoping they will change companies.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Where do I begin??? They lie, they tell you they have all your records or you don't need a certain one - then they send you a letter! BIG FAT LIARS. I still don't know why I fall asleep at the wheel, Cigna doesn't care. Cigna has decided that I did not need physical therapy after back surgery.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

In May of this year, I got diverticulitis. After two rounds of antibiotics, my doctor ordered a CT Scan to make sure they were treating me correctly. Cigna ordered a medical review which after a week, the CT scan was still not approved and I was in extreme pain. My doctor told me to go to the ER which I did on 7/3/17. I went to an "In-Network" hospital. Cigna Connect does not pay anything on an "Out of Network" facility or physician. I was given a CT Scan and admitted for acute diverticulitis. In the week they were taking to decide whether to approve my CT Scan, they endangered my life by second-guessing my physician. I was in the hospital for two days with two different antibiotics being given to me intravenously. When I was released, I was sent home with two different antibiotics to be taken for 10 days. Just as before, after a couple of weeks of taking the antibiotic my pain returned.

When the bills for the hospitalization came in, very few of the physicians or specialist I saw in the hospital were covered by Cigna Connect. Never before when I have been hospitalized did I have to worry about whether the hospital affiliated people were covered in an "In-Network" facility. So instead of my maximum out of pocket amount being $1,110, it is now more like $5,000. On September 1, I went to see a new gastro specialist. He ordered a colonoscopy and set it up for the 11th of September. I stressed to his office that they had to make sure it was approved before I would have it done. They said a week out should be more than enough. Today when I called, they told me that the hospital had to get it approved, not the doctor that was performing the procedure. I just told them to forget it. I told my family if I die from colon cancer, to sue Cigna big time.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

If I could give negative stars, that's all Cigna would receive. They are vile crooks and their insurance policy is a complete joke. I have been filing a claim for over 5 months and they finally resolved it this week. I was supposed to get 80% back after I covered the deductible, which I did. Instead of sending me a check for $320 like they were supposed to, they sent me a worthless check for $40. They "disallowed" the other charges even though they said they'd be covered after the deductible. I asked why they were disallowed and they couldn't tell me. How a company can allow the charges you paid and disallow every cent they are supposed to pay is beyond me. Then they charged me $1200 for an anesthesiologist that I've used multiple times and is in network. I'm so upset that my husband's work got switched to them.

I've had nothing but trouble with them and all of the other insurance companies I have used in the past are much more accommodating. I've spent more out of pocket with Cigna than any of my previous 4 insurance companies combined. They've denied my nausea meds for a serious stomach condition that makes me extremely sick. They wouldn't pay for compounded meds when I couldn't keep pills down. They denied a CT scan for pancreatitis. If you can avoid them, stay away from this insurance company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

In 30 years of employment, I have had health insurance with numerous companies. None of them - none - has ever come close to Cigna for sheer awfulness. I would prefer to deal with the cable company than Cigna. At least with the former, I'm pretty sure I will receive some service for the money I pay. When Cigna first denied coverage for the treatment of my child's very significant medical issues - treatment that was strongly recommended by multiple licensed health professionals - we chalked it up to bad luck in carriers but continued to submit what claims for that portion of his care we were told would be covered. Even this small portion, however, has been denied.

For the past two years, instead of our focus being solely on our child, we have lost countless hours wrestling with Cigna to simply provide the service we paid for. Claims are slow-walked and take months to process, irrelevant or previously provided information is repeatedly demanded and the explanation for non-payment and/or denial changes from day-to-day. We wait months for payment when it comes at all. After contacting Cigna "Customer Service" regarding a claim that had been pending for three months, we were assured that we shouldn't be concerned since "all claims are processed within 7-10 business days".

When we further pushed for payment for multiple long-pending claims, we were confirmed that our current and previous claims would be "audited". Today we received a letter telling us we had been overpaid (?!) for a claim and seeking repayment. This despite the fact that, in the past two years, we have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars (most borrowed) out of our own pocket on our child's care while Cigna has paid a few thousand dollars. It is unconscionable.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Cigna's answers to questions are vague. Plus I was triple charged for 3 months following the month after signup with quote. They still haven't resolved issue on record keeping and address.

Cigna expert review by Joseph Burns

Cigna is a worldwide health insurance organization that covers individuals, families and employers. It has been in business for over 30 years.

• Well-established company: Cigna is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Large network of physicians: Cigna has more than 500,000 physicians and more than 8,000 hospitals in its network.

• Low-cost coverage: Consumers can choose among a variety of plans, including low-cost offerings.

• Supplemental insurance: While Cigna has dentists and vision specialists in its network, adding coverage for these services is not easy.

• Plan options: Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Students

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information