Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Cigna Health Insurance
1.35/5

Cigna Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Cigna Health Insurance Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I went on my wife's insurance back in the summer. After becoming eligible with my new employer I opted to have my own coverage. I've submitted multiple requests to be dropped from her policy only to be given a run-around. Cigna (or its affiliates) is stealing several hundred dollars from us per pay period. This is absolutely outrageous. If you have other options, look elsewhere for healthcare.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I signed on with Cigna SUREFIT when my company (which generously covers all premiums) gave us a choice - figured I would save them $100 a month in premiums since they were so generous. What a huge mistake. I have been denied coverage for every doctor I have seen this calendar year - and I've always been in network. I suspect that the issue is that their system is as confusing for providers as it is for patients.

I have had a shoulder injury - keeps me from sleeping through the night, I can no longer swim or bike due to it, it hurts to brush my hair. They tried to disallow PT. Once that got worked out, they denied an MRI - after 10 sessions of PT with little to no improvement. The only commendable part of their outfit is that the Cigna representatives are super kind and patient. It's unfortunate that this company does not care a whit for the patients it covers. Counting the days until 1/1/20 when I can luckily switch to better coverage. :( Skip Surefit, you'll thank me later.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

My only granddaughter died after a long struggle with leukemia a few weeks ago. Cigna Insurance Company unfortunately, tried to find numerous methods of not covering some of the services which she'd needed. One of these had included a necessary blood transfusion. While it is true that my granddaughter’s health had been in rapid decline throughout the past year, all the consistent denials from Cigna Insurance Company certainly didn’t help matters. This insurance company did eventually cover some procedures as summarized in my granddaughter’s plan for blood transfusion care. However, a lot of the delay and deny tactics which Cigna Insurance Company had so callously used probably cost my granddaughter precious time which would’ve been needed to possibly allow for her to make a full recovery.

I’m not blaming Cigna Insurance Company directly for my granddaughter’s death, but I am blaming them for using what I honestly felt were dishonest stall tactics to ultimately avoid covering some of the procedures which she had needed several months earlier. Their entire appeals process was extremely cold-hearted, dragging on for several months when it shouldn’t have. It was quite sickening to know that doctors and medical directors representing Cigna who weren’t even directly involved in my granddaughter’s care were ultimately making what I felt almost amounted to certain life and death decisions. My family and I will never know for sure whether Cigna’s delay tactics were ultimately responsible for hastening my granddaughter’s death. Maybe they were, but then again maybe my granddaughter was just too ill all along to recover.

She did have underlying medical complications, yet these could have possibly been alleviated using a more empathetic and caring approach by Cigna which I don’t feel like they ever used. My granddaughter to Cigna, seemed to be nothing more than just a ‘number’ who the company didn’t seem to want to provide care or coverage for. I firmly believe this was because Cigna viewed some of the expensive care procedures which my granddaughter would have needed as being too costly, amounting to nothing more than a profit loss of premiums collected versus claims paid on their corporation’s balance sheets. That is certainly how it seemed to be. It is such a shame that an insurer as large as Cigna Insurance Company would choose to act this way, with such utter disregard for human life.

Obviously, I can’t make the decision for those reading this review as to whether they will or should decide on their own to use Cigna Insurance Company for their healthcare needs. (My family of course, never will again.) Yet my bigger goal of sharing this for public view is to allow for my granddaughter’s story to serve as a cautionary tale, so others can make their own well-informed decisions regarding their family’s healthcare needs. This insurer here, Cigna Insurance Company in my view, doesn’t seem to be very ethical. The health and well-being of their members appears secondary to the company’s profit versus loss strategic goals of limiting and minimizing payment or coverage on valid, possibly life-enhancing claims.

There’s much more which I could write here, but honestly I don’t think it would make a difference in how Cigna Insurance Company ultimately chooses to conduct its business. Maybe a company representative or spokesperson might choose to post a standard company response below, denying virtually everything that I had alluded to above. However, Cigna Insurance Company knows very well, in their hearts, that their delay and denial tactics certainly did not do anything to help my granddaughter’s chances of survival, even if they were not directly responsible for her death. Thank you everyone, for taking the time to read and share my story. Please always value life in the moment and stay blessed.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Before my employer switched insurance companies we had United Healthcare which I absolutely despised. So I was looking forward to being covered by Cigna for no change in price to what we were paying from the other company. I am a mostly healthy 42 year old male. Rarely ever have to go to see a doctor or physician. For the last 6 months I have only had to pay $20/biweekly for single employee coverage. Which is $40 PER month, very competitive pricing I think. That was all well and good until I was ordered by the court to add my son to my insurance. So I'm thinking ok it shouldn't be much more than paying double than what I was paying. Boy was I wrong. Adding only one child cost me around 10.5X more than just the cost of myself.

So now my insurance is costing me around $427 per month, $213 & some change biweekly. This is a huge jump and not justified in my opinion. They don't offer a +1 plan evidently. From what I understand I could add on 4 children and still pay the same price as adding one. This is completely not fair. Maybe I am upset with the wrong people as it could be my employer who just isn't covering as much of the cost? But I still blame Cigna for not having a plus one plan. I can't afford to have health coverage with these prices.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I had a radical hysterectomy done by an in-network surgeon in an in-network hospital. I woke up with a pain level of 8, a cortisone IV in my arm, a catheter connected in my bladder, my vagina full of padding to contain external bleeding, and a nurse coming to check regularly for any internal bleeding. Nevertheless, according to Cigna this is an OUT-PATIENT surgery!! REALLY?? It's been over 3 months, and they haven't paid a single bill, having all the service providers jumping through hoops like crazy, and keeping on rejecting all claims!! If you want peace of mind, stay away from Cigna, just another greedy health insurance which doesn't care about patients wellness and safety.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I am simply trying to find the answer to one clear question which they refuse to answer. Do you consider rigid gas permeable (toric) contact lenses "medically necessary" or not? On the phone they pretend that this differs between plans but it's obviously not true, it's either medically necessary under a specific condition (eg keratonocus or pellucid marginal degeneration) or not. This is just another way they try to hide what they actually cover until you go to get it reimbursed. Then anybody can tell you whether they pay for it or not (mostly not) without any hesitation.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

This insurer: Cigna doesn't truly care about their members' health in my opinion. For the past several months, they have been attempting to use a number of underhanded delay, defend, and deny tactics in order to avoid covering certain medically necessary procedures (evaluation tests for possibly needed blood transfusion in the future) which several members of my medical team have already informed Cigna that I will need. The insurer however, has sent a total of 7 different denial letters to each of my providers, even having the sheer audacity to suggest that these evaluation tests aren't medically necessary but are experimental in nature instead.

My doctors and I have been going around and around with Cigna for the past 5 months, trying to convince them that each of these evaluation tests actually is medically necessary. Cigna just doesn't want to hear it though, because they realize how much this procedure is going to cost. So they are basically trying to use every single trick in the book to avoid covering the cost of these medically necessary evaluation tests, even though I have fulfilled all of my obligations to the same contract which they are attempting to breach. For example, my deductible had already been satisfied several months ago, and I have all of the necessary documentation from all of my providers to establish medical necessity. There are so many additional sleazy and dishonest "legal loophole" tactics which Cigna is trying to use, but I won't have enough time or space to list them all below.

However, please take my advice and just steer clear of this insurer, Cigna. They are very deceptive, and employ what amounts to basically bait and switch tactics in order to avoid covering truly medically necessary procedures. Unfortunately, it won't really matter if you do everything right, and/or if you have enough medical providers standing in your corner trying to advocate for your health. Cigna as an insurance company, is sadly, not truly in the "business of caring" which is what they try to promote in all of their superficial advertisements and brochures. And if anything, this insurer Cigna in my opinion, is really in the "business" of only putting profits before people. Thank you all, for reading my review. Please make a wise decision when it comes to your own health, and avoid all of the stress, aggravation, and hassle associated with dealing with this particular insurer: Cigna.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

The website just lists a bunch of doctors that it seems like they got from the phone book or something, because when you call them, they never take the insurance that the Cigna website claims they take. Sometimes they don't even take Cigna at all and never have!! Cigna says it's because the doctors stopped taking it and just forgot to update Cigna about it. Nope. That's a lie. Unreal.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

It wouldn’t let me give no stars! Just the absolute worst. I cannot wait until we can change to a different insurer. Things that were simple and only took short phone calls to resolve with our previous health insurance turn into month long epic sagas with Cigna because their staff either don’t know what to do or their system doesn’t allow them to do it. I feel embarrassed for having to ask my doctors to help me again resubmit the paperwork one more time until it’s finally accepted by Cigna. If they’d just explain it properly the first time! Untold hours on the phone, on hold, being disconnected, faxes and letters that are never responded to. Make sure if you have to deal with Cigna that you document everything, ask for everyone’s name, do everything so that a paper trail is left. Even though, hold your breath. I filed a complaint with them last year and guess what? Still waiting for a response. Cigna, you are truly the worst.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I spent hours of my time selecting a health care plan as I'm in between jobs and need coverage to select a plan and get a message that a rep will be in touch. Most people needing health care need it ASAP and in many cases the same day. I had not even registered on this site for them to have my contact info nor do they allow me to register before having an actual ID card, so I received this message and they don't even have my information to follow-up. I have been to the website three times for this same thing to happen. STOP WASTING PEOPLE'S TIME. Much less, FIX YOUR WEBSITE. I'm LIVID that I've put so much time into this FOR NOTHING. They don't respond to email inquiries either.

Cigna Health Insurance Company Information