4.07/5
  • 1 star
Based on 14 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 11, 2017

14 Auto-Owners homeowners insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Business Liability insurance - Don't know where to start. First of all I never signed on to join Auto-Owners my insurance agent Warren ** changed me over to Auto-Owners from a previous insurance agency. This is what began the destruction of my business. I'm the owner of a small event decorating company, and after I got switched to Auto-Owners, I've had nothing but trouble. I went from paying $130 monthly to having Auto-Owners charge me over to $360 monthly and hit me with 2 audits for liability insurance in the same year. At this rate my monthly payment will average $1,000 a month and all other insurance companies quote 1-3 thousand annually based off my gross sales.

Auto-Owners has caused such financial stain that I had to let go of any help and take on the job of 7 people myself. I'm a low risk company as I service wedding rentals and yet I'm paying more and more to them with my sales being down over 30%. Everyone we explain the situation to said it sounds like extortion. We contacted MIDIFS and they said it does not sound right and told us to file a complaint against the insurance agent and the agency. Further investigation we now learn through DIFS that our insurance agent Warren ** is not even licensed to sell the policy he sold to us.

So that too is being investigated. Talking to another fellow business owner who sells cell phones in multiple locations when we referred Warren to him. He too signed him onto Auto-Owners and the first thing they wanted to do to him was a audit. Never having that happen either during many years in business. He obviously cancelled all policies and never paid any audits. We of course will be canceling as well and will fight this as far as we need to go. Continuing on with Auto-Owners could potentially tank my business I've work so hard for, for many years. I'm coming on my off season with little to no income coming in. Yet they expect during this time a second audit of 7 grand to be paid to them and plus a continued rate increase.

I noticed their Facebook page had many many 1 star ratings and so many bad reviews. I learned I was not alone in Auto-Owners destroying my life. They have since changed their FB page to no longer allow public reviews or public comments for they do not want to stand accountable for the hardships they cause, it seems to me.

We will continue to fight this audit and bring awareness to what joining Auto-Owners has done to my business and continue to work with DIFS to see to it the right people are held accountable for their unethical behavior. Legal action will be next if it must go that far. As not only will this destroy my business but in the process destroy the most important day of my clients' lives their wedding day when we can no longer service their contracted needs.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I have had both home and auto insurance from Auto-Owners for about 10 years. Customer experience depends on the agent and insurance representative. I am fortunate to have excellent agent/reps. Claims (1 major, 1 minor) have been handled well and to my satisfaction. The Auto-Owners website is easy to use and convenient. I am very satisfied with Auto-Owners.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

I received a fair price and the staff was friendly and helpful. I have not had any contact since the initial insurance set up, 15 years ago. So, I am satisfied, simply that there has been no problems!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2016

About five years ago I experienced damage to my roof because of winds in excess of 70 mph. I had shingles scattered all over the place (the neighbors did as well). Then came the torrential rains. Without the proper coverage of the roof I also incurred inside damage in a few ceiling areas. I called my insurance company first thing in the morning and I had an adjuster here within a few hours. There are a few roofing companies with excellent reputations in our area. Of course, all were very busy but all staff were on the road checking damages and giving estimates. I chose one and he got here a half hour before the adjuster. This roofer was also a general contractor who was capable of the ceiling repair as well. He looked at all the damages and wrote an estimate as the adjuster arrived.

Long story short, adjuster also checked all damages and scrutinized the estimate and approved it. Since the damage in our area was so extensive, the roofer completely covered the house with new tarps until they could schedule the repairs. Within two weeks the roofers and inside crew were scheduled and all repairs were done to satisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

I am satisfied with Auto-Owners. I have only had one claim in 22 years. They were prompt and quick to respond. The rates are steady from year to year.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto-Owners homeowners insurance?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

Auto-owners is one of a few that covers mobile homes. I've had one claim and the customer service is superb. The adjuster came out, looked and I was issued a check within a few days.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I am very pleased with the attention that I receive from this company. This company reviews my policy yearly and advised where costs can be saved. They have also lower minimum coverage on my home as my mortgage balance decreases.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

I priced around for insurance and Auto-Owners had the cheapest rate for what I needed. Though I have not been with them long, I am very pleased with them and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I have had Auto Owners Auto and Homeowners Insurance for several years. Their prices and coverage are very good. They have a very high Best rating. I have not filed any claims.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

Payments are fair. We have not had to use so so far so good... but they are easy to reach and get in touch. We have heard of others and nothing but good reports come back to us.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

I just switched agents, not companies and really like the time the agent took to go over my policies to see if everything was in line. I would recommend him highly!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I have had this insurance for many years. Fortunately I have not had to file a claim. The low cost is why I decided to go with this company. The coverage is stated in the policy is what I needed.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

We have had his insurance for years and only used it twice, although had need a third time, but were told if we used it our premiums would rise and/or be denied insurance. Seems like you are punished if you need to use insurance.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

They have a local insurance agency to handle everything and they are very efficient. No fuss, no complications whatsoever. Their prices are also reasonable.

Auto-Owners homeowners insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Auto-Owners homeowners insurance helps protect property owners from unexpected repair and replacement expenses. With customized policy options that cover everything from major utility systems to contents, this insurance company offers total coverage options.

• Local agents: When there is a problem and policyholders need to make a claim, they can work with their local office in 26 states. This allows policyholders to deal with someone they know and trust while putting together their claims.

• Renters included: In addition to their homeowners insurance, Auto-Owners also offers coverage for renters. These policies specifically cover personal property, so if a pipe bursts, there's no arguing with a landlord, just a simple claims process.

• Mobile friendly website: An emergency at home could mean no Internet access for days or weeks, making putting in a claim from a home computer a hassle. With a website that offers a mobile browsing experience, policyholders can get in touch on the go.

• Personal liability umbrella: Businesses often have umbrella policies to help keep premiums down on multiple locations. With a personal liability umbrella, consumers can gain the same savings for their homes and cars.

• Deep discounts: Enjoy discounted rates on homeowners insurance for a variety of situations including renovations, smoke alarms and fire extinguishers, paid in full, seasonal use and more.

• Best for: New homeowners, multiple policyholders, renters and vacationers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky