3.87/5
Based on 15 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

15 Auto-Owners homeowners insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

We used Auto-Owners Insurance Company. We filed a claim for water damage on our rental vacation home relating to a severe storm in mid 2014. Auto-Owners covered and paid for rain damages to walls and ceiling. Renters of the vacation rental home started complaining about the floor coming loose shortly thereafter -- when they occupied the home for their annual snowbird season stay. We responded to the issue -- with some level of success -- by conducting Fix-a-Floor injection repairs to rescue the floor in order to preclude our having to inconvenience the renters to move out for floor replacement. The floor continued deteriorating each snowbird-rental season for two more seasons as we continued the "Fix-a-Floor" repairs with declining levels of success. Finally in mid 2017 as the floor situation continued to decline, we had the floor inspected by an expert tile specialist with a view to total tile replacement.

Our tile restoration specialist stated that -- without any doubt -- this floor was gradually failing starting with the rainwater intrusion in the home in 2014. He suggested we "contact your insurance". Auto Owners written procedure for client claims is that client must contact the Auto Owners sales agent first -- the agent will in turn contact Auto Owners claims service. We carefully read this instruction and contacted the agent and explained our "need for supplemental coverage relating to the earlier 2014 rain damage claim". The Auto Owners agent, Randolph Insurance Agency, say they contacted Auto Owners with our described issue. Auto Owners responded by immediately assigning an altogether new claim number for us to complete paperwork on. We followed their instructions which resulted in our then having two claim numbers for this claim.

Auto Owners then examined the situation and notified us that we were correct, that this damage actually related to the storm in 2014 claim, and then they reverted everything back to the 2014 claim number and proceeded from there. Noteworthy, this has now left us with two separate claims on the public Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange (CLUE) report which adversely affects us in now obtaining replacement new home insurance, and will affect ability for us to sell the house in the future. AO now refuses to correct this error. Auto Owners then engaged unilaterally with an engineer to examine and write a conclusion as to the floor damage. The examination lasted only minutes -- the resulting report was weak and insufficient.

We then requested of Auto Owners produce an actual forensic engineering analysis of the tile damage claim -- knowing very well ourselves that a true "forensic" process would entail a fault tree analysis, commonly known as a FMAA (Failure Mode and Affects Analysis), as a means of ruling out the rain water as a causal factor in the floor debonding. Auto Owners knew they needed to comply with the terms of our policy, IOW to cover rain water damage, or rule it out as casual factor based on a "legitimate" engineering report. Auto Owners then engaged a forensic engineering company to examine and write the report to fit their needs for denial as this claim was by then dragging on owing to the several claim number changes and other delays.

The forensic report failed to rule out rain water intrusion as a causal factor. Further, they did not inspect the actual debonded underside surfaces of any of the more than 12 fully debonded tiles available for this purpose at time of the their inspection. After seeing this new insufficient report, we began to realize that Auto Owners Claims was determined to now reach a "rush-to-judgement" denial of the floor claim despite the many report deficiencies in not being the true-to-form forensic investigation that we had agreed on with Auto Owners. Worthy of note here, we had offered to participate in the cost of the forensic undertaking with Auto Owners to assure a truthful outcome, but Auto Owners rejected our offer and paid the cost fee unilaterally to obtain their "forensic" report on which they base denial.

Auto Owners then denied the claim for the floor portion of our claim based on their purchased report. We are still rescuing the debonding floor with "fix-a Floor" injections until we can locate funds and other schedule resources to replace the floor. Some debonded tiles have now started to crack and exhibit sharp edges, so we will have to finally take the house out of service starting next week. We are still facing the fact of having two separate claim numbers on our CLUE report which penalizes us in two areas. 1/ We cannot find an adequate replacement Home Owners insurance policy for the house because "2" claims means "high risk", (even GEICO has refused us) and 2/ the CLUE report will factor into our ability to sell the house in the future. Arizona Department of Insurance is reviewing.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Business Liability insurance - Don't know where to start. First of all I never signed on to join Auto-Owners my insurance agent Warren ** changed me over to Auto-Owners from a previous insurance agency. This is what began the destruction of my business. I'm the owner of a small event decorating company, and after I got switched to Auto-Owners, I've had nothing but trouble. I went from paying $130 monthly to having Auto-Owners charge me over to $360 monthly and hit me with 2 audits for liability insurance in the same year. At this rate my monthly payment will average $1,000 a month and all other insurance companies quote 1-3 thousand annually based off my gross sales.

Auto-Owners has caused such financial stain that I had to let go of any help and take on the job of 7 people myself. I'm a low risk company as I service wedding rentals and yet I'm paying more and more to them with my sales being down over 30%. Everyone we explain the situation to said it sounds like extortion. We contacted MIDIFS and they said it does not sound right and told us to file a complaint against the insurance agent and the agency. Further investigation we now learn through DIFS that our insurance agent Warren ** is not even licensed to sell the policy he sold to us.

So that too is being investigated. Talking to another fellow business owner who sells cell phones in multiple locations when we referred Warren to him. He too signed him onto Auto-Owners and the first thing they wanted to do to him was a audit. Never having that happen either during many years in business. He obviously cancelled all policies and never paid any audits. We of course will be canceling as well and will fight this as far as we need to go. Continuing on with Auto-Owners could potentially tank my business I've work so hard for, for many years. I'm coming on my off season with little to no income coming in. Yet they expect during this time a second audit of 7 grand to be paid to them and plus a continued rate increase.

I noticed their Facebook page had many many 1 star ratings and so many bad reviews. I learned I was not alone in Auto-Owners destroying my life. They have since changed their FB page to no longer allow public reviews or public comments for they do not want to stand accountable for the hardships they cause, it seems to me.

We will continue to fight this audit and bring awareness to what joining Auto-Owners has done to my business and continue to work with DIFS to see to it the right people are held accountable for their unethical behavior. Legal action will be next if it must go that far. As not only will this destroy my business but in the process destroy the most important day of my clients' lives their wedding day when we can no longer service their contracted needs.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I have had both home and auto insurance from Auto-Owners for about 10 years. Customer experience depends on the agent and insurance representative. I am fortunate to have excellent agent/reps. Claims (1 major, 1 minor) have been handled well and to my satisfaction. The Auto-Owners website is easy to use and convenient. I am very satisfied with Auto-Owners.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

I received a fair price and the staff was friendly and helpful. I have not had any contact since the initial insurance set up, 15 years ago. So, I am satisfied, simply that there has been no problems!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2016

About five years ago I experienced damage to my roof because of winds in excess of 70 mph. I had shingles scattered all over the place (the neighbors did as well). Then came the torrential rains. Without the proper coverage of the roof I also incurred inside damage in a few ceiling areas. I called my insurance company first thing in the morning and I had an adjuster here within a few hours. There are a few roofing companies with excellent reputations in our area. Of course, all were very busy but all staff were on the road checking damages and giving estimates. I chose one and he got here a half hour before the adjuster. This roofer was also a general contractor who was capable of the ceiling repair as well. He looked at all the damages and wrote an estimate as the adjuster arrived.

Long story short, adjuster also checked all damages and scrutinized the estimate and approved it. Since the damage in our area was so extensive, the roofer completely covered the house with new tarps until they could schedule the repairs. Within two weeks the roofers and inside crew were scheduled and all repairs were done to satisfaction.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto-Owners homeowners insurance?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

I am satisfied with Auto-Owners. I have only had one claim in 22 years. They were prompt and quick to respond. The rates are steady from year to year.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

Auto-owners is one of a few that covers mobile homes. I've had one claim and the customer service is superb. The adjuster came out, looked and I was issued a check within a few days.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I am very pleased with the attention that I receive from this company. This company reviews my policy yearly and advised where costs can be saved. They have also lower minimum coverage on my home as my mortgage balance decreases.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

I priced around for insurance and Auto-Owners had the cheapest rate for what I needed. Though I have not been with them long, I am very pleased with them and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I have had Auto Owners Auto and Homeowners Insurance for several years. Their prices and coverage are very good. They have a very high Best rating. I have not filed any claims.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

Payments are fair. We have not had to use so so far so good... but they are easy to reach and get in touch. We have heard of others and nothing but good reports come back to us.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

I just switched agents, not companies and really like the time the agent took to go over my policies to see if everything was in line. I would recommend him highly!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I have had this insurance for many years. Fortunately I have not had to file a claim. The low cost is why I decided to go with this company. The coverage is stated in the policy is what I needed.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

We have had his insurance for years and only used it twice, although had need a third time, but were told if we used it our premiums would rise and/or be denied insurance. Seems like you are punished if you need to use insurance.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

They have a local insurance agency to handle everything and they are very efficient. No fuss, no complications whatsoever. Their prices are also reasonable.

Auto-Owners homeowners insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Auto-Owners homeowners insurance helps protect property owners from unexpected repair and replacement expenses. With customized policy options that cover everything from major utility systems to contents, this insurance company offers total coverage options.

• Local agents: When there is a problem and policyholders need to make a claim, they can work with their local office in 26 states. This allows policyholders to deal with someone they know and trust while putting together their claims.

• Renters included: In addition to their homeowners insurance, Auto-Owners also offers coverage for renters. These policies specifically cover personal property, so if a pipe bursts, there's no arguing with a landlord, just a simple claims process.

• Mobile friendly website: An emergency at home could mean no Internet access for days or weeks, making putting in a claim from a home computer a hassle. With a website that offers a mobile browsing experience, policyholders can get in touch on the go.

• Personal liability umbrella: Businesses often have umbrella policies to help keep premiums down on multiple locations. With a personal liability umbrella, consumers can gain the same savings for their homes and cars.

• Deep discounts: Enjoy discounted rates on homeowners insurance for a variety of situations including renovations, smoke alarms and fire extinguishers, paid in full, seasonal use and more.

• Best for: New homeowners, multiple policyholders, renters and vacationers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky