Auto-Owners homeowners insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have had both home and auto insurance from Auto-Owners for about 10 years. Customer experience depends on the agent and insurance representative. I am fortunate to have excellent agent/reps. Claims (1 major, 1 minor) have been handled well and to my satisfaction. The Auto-Owners website is easy to use and convenient. I am very satisfied with Auto-Owners.

I received a fair price and the staff was friendly and helpful. I have not had any contact since the initial insurance set up, 15 years ago. So, I am satisfied, simply that there has been no problems!

About five years ago I experienced damage to my roof because of winds in excess of 70 mph. I had shingles scattered all over the place (the neighbors did as well). Then came the torrential rains. Without the proper coverage of the roof I also incurred inside damage in a few ceiling areas. I called my insurance company first thing in the morning and I had an adjuster here within a few hours. There are a few roofing companies with excellent reputations in our area. Of course, all were very busy but all staff were on the road checking damages and giving estimates. I chose one and he got here a half hour before the adjuster. This roofer was also a general contractor who was capable of the ceiling repair as well. He looked at all the damages and wrote an estimate as the adjuster arrived.

Long story short, adjuster also checked all damages and scrutinized the estimate and approved it. Since the damage in our area was so extensive, the roofer completely covered the house with new tarps until they could schedule the repairs. Within two weeks the roofers and inside crew were scheduled and all repairs were done to satisfaction.

I am satisfied with Auto-Owners. I have only had one claim in 22 years. They were prompt and quick to respond. The rates are steady from year to year.

Auto-owners is one of a few that covers mobile homes. I've had one claim and the customer service is superb. The adjuster came out, looked and I was issued a check within a few days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto-Owners homeowners insurance?

I am very pleased with the attention that I receive from this company. This company reviews my policy yearly and advised where costs can be saved. They have also lower minimum coverage on my home as my mortgage balance decreases.

I priced around for insurance and Auto-Owners had the cheapest rate for what I needed. Though I have not been with them long, I am very pleased with them and would highly recommend them to anyone.

I have had Auto Owners Auto and Homeowners Insurance for several years. Their prices and coverage are very good. They have a very high Best rating. I have not filed any claims.

Payments are fair. We have not had to use so so far so good... but they are easy to reach and get in touch. We have heard of others and nothing but good reports come back to us.

I just switched agents, not companies and really like the time the agent took to go over my policies to see if everything was in line. I would recommend him highly!

I have had this insurance for many years. Fortunately I have not had to file a claim. The low cost is why I decided to go with this company. The coverage is stated in the policy is what I needed.

We have had his insurance for years and only used it twice, although had need a third time, but were told if we used it our premiums would rise and/or be denied insurance. Seems like you are punished if you need to use insurance.

They have a local insurance agency to handle everything and they are very efficient. No fuss, no complications whatsoever. Their prices are also reasonable.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Auto-Owners homeowners insurance helps protect property owners from unexpected repair and replacement expenses. With customized policy options that cover everything from major utility systems to contents, this insurance company offers total coverage options.

• Local agents: When there is a problem and policyholders need to make a claim, they can work with their local office in 26 states. This allows policyholders to deal with someone they know and trust while putting together their claims.
  • Renters included: In addition to their homeowners insurance, Auto-Owners also offers coverage for renters. These policies specifically cover personal property, so if a pipe bursts, there's no arguing with a landlord, just a simple claims process.
  • Mobile friendly website: An emergency at home could mean no Internet access for days or weeks, making putting in a claim from a home computer a hassle. With a website that offers a mobile browsing experience, policyholders can get in touch on the go.
  • Personal liability umbrella: Businesses often have umbrella policies to help keep premiums down on multiple locations. With a personal liability umbrella, consumers can gain the same savings for their homes and cars.
  • Deep discounts: Enjoy discounted rates on homeowners insurance for a variety of situations including renovations, smoke alarms and fire extinguishers, paid in full, seasonal use and more.
  • Best for New homeowners, multiple policyholders, renters and vacationers.

Compare Homeowners Insurance