Get a Quote

3. Home Warranties

4.4/5 (15398 ratings)
Get a Quote

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances in 49 states. The company has access to a network of over 16,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Customizable coverage plans

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems, appliances or both. It's not the cheapest option, but it comes with some extra perks. Add-on coverage is available for electronics, pools and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

The service has been good so far. They sent Always Open & Shut Garage Door for our most recent claim and it was good with the tech.

American Home Shield response

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

When calling American Home Shield for plumbing, they send out Greenway Home Services. The last time, they came out and replaced my hot water heater. Then the manager and I got into an argument about the disposal of the hot water heater. They charged me a bill for over $300 because they had to bring everything up to code as the codes have changed in the hot water heater. I looked it up in the contract and sure enough, it was in there so I didn't argue. Six months later, my pipe burst. I told AHS not to send Greenway again if possible.

Before, I remember being on the phone for over an hour and 45 minutes on hold with American Home Shield. This last time, I found the whole process a thousand times better, it was just about four rings, and boom, the lady got it. Then, Jaime Avellino Plumbing was able to come out that same day. The guy called me and a couple hours after that, he was here. He's been out here before and he's professional every time. In fact, he remembered me. All that needed to be done was to change the thermostats in the hot water heater.

Then he told me that the previous company didn’t do anything with it. There was no code. It was already up to code. That really put a bitter taste in my mouth for Greenway. I wanted to try to find the bill because if what he's saying is true, then I'm gonna take Greenway for small claims. I'll get my money back because they charged for something they didn't do. It's just that haven't done finding it yet as I've just been too busy with everything else. I recommend Jaime Avellino Plumbing when people ask me for a plumber.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

We've only put in a couple of requests with American Home Shield and so far, it has been about 50-50. It was due to the company they contracted. We put in a claim for a washing machine repair and the company said they'd be there on the 5th between 8:00 and 5:00, and it was almost 4 o'clock in the afternoon and they still hadn't shown up. Then they sent me a text message saying they would be there on the 7th between 8:00 and 5:00. And then on the 7th, nobody showed up. But the other contractor we had with our AC said he'd be there between 8:00 and 12:00 and he showed up at 9 o'clock and fixed it. Overall, American Home Shield is absolutely better than the other warranty that we had.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

The contractor was good in setting the appointment and keeping it. They fixed the issue with the dryer and everything’s working.

Hi Aletta,

We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I had leakage on the sink. My experience with American Home Shield had been frustrating because the hotline in the Philippines was lying to me. The first plumber that they recommended was lying also. They were saying that our appointment was 8:00 to 12:00. I was sitting here the whole time and then I called the lady after 12 o'clock. She said that our schedule was 3 o'clock now. But no one had called, so I told them not to use them again in the future. Even the lady, when she called the maintenance people, said she was rude to her.

I called the hotline again. I was just asking the lady to reschedule me since the first plumber canceled me out and was not able to show up. But she was not able to do that. So I asked if she could transfer me to somebody who had the authority to do it. She then said that her supervisor was not available. The supervisor was gonna call back but I ended up waiting for hours.

The customer service linked to the Philippines kept promising that a supervisor would call. But no one would call me back so I'd call again. It was five times on that day and I was going back and forth. So I ended up calling the cancellation department because I'd rather speak to an American because they would have more comfort in making decisions instead of just taking the calls and making the notation.

I was. pretty much crying on the phone by the time I got to your cancellation department, twice. I pretty much told the lady in the cancellation department that I’d rather lose my $75 and I wanted my policy to be canceled. But the last lady was able to help me out. She was the one who made the executive decision to reschedule me for another plumber and it was not really hard to reschedule somebody.

I'm not happy with the hotline. It was not customer service and they would not help. Then when the plumber came in to examine the problem, because the leakage was not visible, he said that it was not really leaking. That was just the pipe that was banging when you turn on the hot water. He told me that it was a code issue and the home warranty wouldn't cover the code issue.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Stacy and I've emailed you as I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Rainbow Electric Corporation took care of my problem fine. They had to come back because they had first repaired the light fixture when they came out, but they didn't do anything about checking to see if the switch worked. When I went to turn it on, it didn't work. So, I had to call them back. They had to come and put a new switch in. Submitting the claim to AHS wasn't difficult. I was able to get ahold of somebody pretty quickly and get it arranged so that they would come out and take care of the problem. American Home Shield is doing a fine job. I give them credit. Sometimes, it's a little bit more of a wait to get people because of what's going on with our economy and the virus that's going around. It kinda gets things slowed down. But people are responding as best they can.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I had a maintenance check up done by A-1 Quality and the unit has been running fine since the service.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

We had our water heater go bad about six months ago. We put in another claim to American Home Shield, and the contractor came in and replaced our water heater. About a week ago, we weren't getting hot water the way that we were accustomed to. It was about 30 degrees colder throughout the entire house. So that was when we decided to call and put in a claim. The technician showed up and said it was an issue with the internal thermostat. It’s a brand new water heater. He replaced them and was gone in 20 minutes.

The gentleman pulled up, climbed out of his truck, put his mask on and put his little tool belt on. I met him in the driveway and explained to him what had happened. He looked at me and said, “Okay, I got this. I'll take care of you. I'll come get you here in a couple minutes when I know the problem, and when I can resolve it.” I didn't really have too much interaction with him because he was in my laundry room, and we were in another room. When he was done, he closed up my laundry room and came up to my front door, and told me everything was fixed and working. He said, “Have a nice day,” and left. He was very professional and very courteous. Since he's been out, everything has been great. I do have another issue, but it's completely unrelated to the work that this technician did. I am having low water temperature in one bathroom instead of my entire house now. We didn't have hot water in the whole house.

I would tell others that they need to get American Home Shield. We've had to put in a couple of claims throughout our time with them, and they've all been handled very quickly. It was within a day or two. For the exception, my air conditioner had an issue the other day. It was one of those weird things where it fell on a holiday in a weekend, and we had to email. We couldn't get anything until the next Monday or Tuesday. But that one wasn't that big of a deal either. The technician called me. I told him what was happening. He went straight to the air conditioner, did what he had to do, and called me and said it's all done and left.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I contacted American Home Shield because I noticed a leak in my kitchen. They assigned it to United Air Temp. They were good. Once they fixed it, the leaking stopped. A remediation team has since been able to come out after them and dry everything. There's been no future leaking. The only thing was that my issue started on Christmas eve and if there was an after hour situation or an emergency number, that would have been better 'cause I literally had to wait four days until United Air Temp could then come out to me. I knew weekends or holidays were typically a no no, but a lot of damage transpired in those four days. However, service-wise, American Home Shield great.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

We have three homes. My sister, my daughter-in-law, and myself have had American Home Shield for the last 20 years and we have had nothing but problems with them, including with our AC in the summer and the other house. We have had a lot of issues and there have been rude technicians. They were wearing masks, but that was in the summertime. When the technician came for the washing machine, everything went out-of-place and then someway, somehow, the dryer also started with problems. I don't know if it has anything to do with the plumbing with it. It's taking forever (two weeks) for the whole thing and it's still not fixed. I'm not happy at all.

Marie,

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. My name is Robert and I have just sent you an email as I would like to contact you in an effort to assist with a resolution.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Sears fixed our issue, and the guy was really nice. He had to come back a second time because he had to order parts. He was here in a timely manner, fixed it quickly, and we haven't had an issue since. We're very happy with it. I did the claim to American Home Shield online. It took a couple minutes. I set up an appointment really quick. Having American Home Shield is worth it.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

The contractor who came for the heating issue was efficient, friendly and prompt. They came out and had to order a part. They told me it may take a few days but it only took two days. They called and said they had the part, and would be back by 11 o'clock. They came back and had it going within an hour, and everything was fine. I’d certainly recommend them and was very pleased with their work.

I did the claim on the phone. They were very busy and there was a wait time. I first took American Home Shield out 18 years ago and back then, it was a small company. You called and got somebody who answered the phone. They took your information and it was like calling service people down the street. But now, it's a lot bigger and that speaks well of them. The phone service is not as quick as it was years ago but everything grows. If I was more technical-savvy, I could do it over the internet. But I'm not, so I do it over the phone. It's okay. I had built a new house and was in it for a while, and with a builder's warranty, I didn’t take American Home Shield. But when I bought this house here, it was an older home and I took American Home Shield. So, I was pleased with them before which was why I went back to them again.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I called the customer service number for my heater that was blowing cold air. The process was extremely easy. It prompted me through the recordings and asked if I wanted to pay with the card they have on file. I said yes and it explained that it was $100 deductible. They said that somebody would be contacting me the next day. The guy called and scheduled the appointment. He came out two days later and fixed it.

American Home Shield is the best decision I ever made. My brother told me to sign up with them. He explained the situation that he had. His microwave wasn't working and because they couldn't fix it, he got a brand new microwave. I contacted my mom because she recently had to pay for a new oven. I told her she needed to get American Home Shield because she can afford $39.99 and she wouldn't be having to have to put all her money together to replace her stove.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing you experience and thanks for recommending us.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

We had a plumber come out two times and the guy was terrible. He said it was cosmetic and he used some putty on the faucet to stop it from moving around but it was all off-center. The cold water was turned around so much, it hit the bar and the hot water started in the middle of the faucet. It wasn't satisfactory and American Home Shield sent out a master plumber or somebody else. But the same plumber came out. I looked at him and he looked at me, and I said that they didn't send a different plumber out. He said that I got him, and he walked out and left. We called AHS and they sent another plumber out. I was happy with the guy. I would highly recommend Steinberg but the other company that came out first was a joke. It was ridiculous.

Hi Debbie,

Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

The microwave was two years old and was working very well but for some reason, the handle broke. The first company that was sent out didn't solve the problem and American Home Shield closed the claim. It was put in there that it was due to wrong handling or a user problem. I asked them to open a new one for a second opinion and a second company was able to come. They alerted the problem and got a quote for a new handle. They were able to fix it quickly and they provided a good service.

This is my first year with American Home Shield and this is my first claim with them. They rely more on their contractors than on their customers. That's okay. But the first contractor pointed out that it was my fault so they rejected the claim. That doesn't make sense. These types of situations are what make customers move around companies. But the good thing is that they've solved it after my second request. The second contractor was good, very honest and very prompt.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I loved Sears. We're high risk. That's why we kind of put the service off. The tech came in, he knew what the problem was without much, and he took everything apart, checked everything, fixed it, put it back together, and he explained what he was doing as he was doing it. He was the nicest guy. His name was Marshall. He was perfect. He was in and out of here and he worked the whole time. It was not like he stopped to get a sandwich or fooled around. He just got it done. It was great.

I do my claims to American Home Shield online. They have, "Oh, is it this, this, this or this?" for like one appliance, but it's like, "Well, what if it's something different?" You say "Other" but there's nowhere to extrapolate what the other is. Under "Other" there should be, "Can you explain or give us a little more detail?" The guy who comes out is prepared, and if there's parts they need, they can get it. The only complaint is that it's always "Other" with us. Their website is really easy to use. It's just that if I went under appliances and refrigerator, the choices weren't matching what my problem was.

A year ago, we had someone come out for the water heater, and there was nowhere to say what really the issue was. So the guy came out, figured out what it was, left, came back, left, came back. He was really good too. He was really respectful. It was the beginning of COVID, and he masked up and he was perfect. I'm running behind him with Clorox wipes. He was totally understanding.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I had a water pipe leak and I wanted to investigate. American Home Shield came in with the plumber and in order to do the investigation, the plumber cut a portion of my ceiling. As a result of that, I needed the ceiling to be restored. So, I filed a claim with American Home Shield because they are affiliated with plumber who did the cut and they should rectify it. AHS approved my claim and sent a home restoration team. They patched up the cut in the ceiling and it seemed to be repaired.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

American Home Shield's service is awesome. Recently, my heat was going on and off and it would start becoming unavailable. We have a Nest system at home from Google Home, and it would not stay on. I called American Home Shield and Urban Enterprises contacted me back within 24 hours. They were there within 36 and as always, those guys were amazing. They were professional. They looked at it, let me know what was going on and called American Home Shield. They realized that the work that was done by Air Plus, the other company that had serviced my unit on July 4th, was not up to par. They rectified the situation. They were in and out of the house within a matter of minutes and everything works well now.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

The toilet was leaking and apparently, when the tank was reinstalled, it wasn't screwed on tightly enough so it was causing the seals to be loose and leak. The repair guy checked it out, replaced the pump stuff on the inside and he was done quickly and on the way. It went great.

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain excellent standard of service to our customers.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

My garbage disposal wasn't working, and the plumber fixed it. I told American Home Shield I had something that was broken, and they sent someone out. The plumber did what he had to do and left. He was very professional. I was very satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

My experience with JT Services was not bad at all. When the gentleman left, I assumed that everything was fine with the furnace. But a few days later, I'm in the same predicament where my heat is not working at all and to get service again has been this chore. I have paid faithfully my American Home Shield fee every month on time because in times like this, I want to depend on them. But it didn't work. Whatever they did and whatever the gentleman said, it was not working. It worked the first night. The second night, I was leery and then by the weekend, it had just not heated at all.

I called this past Saturday to report that my furnace was out. I needed someone to come back out. Then Monday, I didn't hear anything which was odd. So when I called on Monday to tell them that I haven't gotten an email, I was hoping I could get someone out. I'm cold and I have been without heat on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Then come to find out, according to what I had been told that the individual did not do something in the system, so my service was not registered to where it would come back out. I called three times and the last person I talked to on the phone was telling me that I needed to talk to a supervisor because I needed a better response. The individual did not let me speak to a supervisor.

I called back again and the person told me on the line that before I start, he needed to let me know that he would not tolerate profane language and that I used profane words on the last call. So this took it to another level. I hope the calls are recorded. I was upset and had a tone that was so frustrating, but I never used profane language. So to make a long story short, that call didn't go well. I never got a call back. I called back again today and I was told that the same company wasn't going to be out, but another company was coming tomorrow. But I just don't care who will come. I'm cold and my granddaughter is cold. My furnace is still not repaired. I had to turn the stove on to give out a little more heat.

When I most needed American Home Shield, they didn't come through. I should not be sitting here for these many days. If that customer service rep on Saturday had not dropped the ball, I should have had somebody come to my house by now. I'm positive that their reps have been outsourced. When you do outsource, proper training when talking to an upset customer should be given. There were certain things that could have de-escalated and I wouldn't feel the way I feel about American Home Shield.

Tina,

Thanks for providing your feedback. I hate that you were not satisfied with your experience. I sent an email to you in an effort to offer further assistance. Please respond to that email at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Well, we kept smelling something burning every time we turned the heat on. It was so strong it started to burn our eyes. We had to turn our heat off. It's very cold, we have 2 kids, and pets. We called AHS to get help mind you that we have been paying for! First off the customer service person can barely speak English, after waiting for 1 hr on the phone, the contractor doesn't answer the emails from the company or calls from us. Oh and you have to use their contractor! 3 days no heat now!! They even cashed in our deductible already! If I can do no stars I would! We also had a pipe break in our basement last year. The horrible mess the person who fixed it omg! The rusty metal stained everything. Don't waste your money.

Resolution response: Feb. 8, 2021

After a lot of back and forth, they finally paid out a cash reimbursement for my broken furnace. The whole process was a headache and some of the technicians they sent were unprofessional. They only paid out a fraction of the true cost (less than 20%) of replacing the furnace.

Again, if you're a home buyer and the seller offers you AHS to cover old appliances, don't do it! If something breaks they're a headache to deal with and they don't actually cover the cost of replacement.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

The heat stopped working in my house and I put in a claim through AHS. A tech came out and said the damper system needed to be replaced for $1,850, but AHS won't cover that. AHS still charged me $125 for the visit. What's the point of insuring a heating system when they don't cover the functional parts within the heating system? Also, their customer service is awful, with long hold times and unhelpful agents. Also, some of their contractors are sketchy. After several no-show appointments, I asked for a different contractor and AHS told me no and made me use the same one again. If you're buying a house and the seller offers AHS, think twice! It sounds great but they're a headache to work with and when push comes to shove, they'll weasel out of covering anything that breaks.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. My name is Stacy and I have just sent you an email as I would like to contact you in an effort to assist with a resolution.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

UPDATED 1/3/2021: We received an email from Consumer Affairs on 12/30/2020. "My name is Stacy and I am following up with you in regards to your home warranty review on Consumer Affairs. We respond and follow up with customers that post negative reviews on various sites in an effort to resolve customer complaints. Emailing is the best method of contact. I hope to connect with you soon." I responded to the email and have yet to receive a response. Day 134 - Still no resolution or repairs to my dishwasher using American Home Shield.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: On August 23, 2020 we placed a work order with American Home Shield (AHS) for what we assumed to be a simple repair of our dishwasher. It is currently December 29, 2020 and we are still without a working dishwasher. Weekly, we’ve placed phone calls to AHS and were referred to the following departments: Contract Relations, Management, Authorizations, Supervisors, and Escalation, with the promise of a returned phone call by the aforementioned, to no avail. To reiterate, NO ONE has returned our calls or addressed our concerns for the last four months. Sears, the service contractor responsible for repairing our dishwasher, sent service call notes to AHS no less than three times, stating that they are unable to locate the parts necessary to repair our dishwasher, and have recommended replacement of our appliance. We have recorded and logged most phone calls during interactions with AHS with no resolution.

We have been loyal customers of AHS for over 16 years. After witnessing a drastic decline in the level of customer service and satisfaction, we DO NOT recommend this company and will be taking our business elsewhere. American Home Shield’s customer service has severely deteriorated and is beyond acceptable. I would caution anyone seeking home warranty service to abstain from service with American Home Shield. Do your research and read company reviews; you will quickly learn our experience with American Home Shield is not unique to us.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

We were having two separate issues, the dishwasher and then the ice maker. American Home Shield sent out a technician and he made an initial assessment, ordered some parts and then we called American Home Shield a week later to see what was going on. It looked like the parts came in, so they came out and they fixed the dishwasher. From reporting the problem to the resolution, it took three weeks. Although they closed out the claim saying it was done, it took a little longer. The ice maker was not finished. It didn't work out quite right, so they had to come in a third time for it.

This was our first claim with American Home Shield and the online submission is great. It was very seamless, but I feel the online goes only so far and then when we talk to the representatives, a majority of them are very hard to understand. It's almost impossible and it can get a little frustrating. First of all, their accent is hard to understand. The second thing is they don't read through their notes. I had to keep calling follow-up for the ice maker and see what was going on, and I have had to repeat the whole problem all over again, over and over. Also, not all of the representatives who are on the call were equal. A few of them were good. They really understood what to do. Some of them had no clue. They said, "Why should you have an ice maker in the house?" It's silly things like that.

Part of American Home Shield definitely needs some improvement. Whatever third party service they're using to take their calls, there's an issue there. We have a lot of high-end appliances and we don't have many choices in appliance warranty providers because not many of them cover it. American Home Shield is the only one and it's a good insurance for high-end appliances. However, for other appliances (like American-made appliances or the generic ones like GE or Maytag) or if there were other options for me, I would consider calling the other options and figuring out their customer service.

Good morning Sheila,

Your feedback is more than appreciated and we hope you continue to enjoy American Home Shield and the customer service we provide!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

A representative from American Home Shield, sold me a home warranty insurance plan for a 4-unit rental property. After the rejection of our second service request, we were stunned to discover that AHS wrongfully and knowingly misrepresented a 4-unit property as a single-family home at the time of sale to induce me into a falsified contract with American Home Shield. American Home Shield was fully aware of this property not being a single-family home, as it has provided a Home Warranty plan for this very same property as a 4-plex in the past.

American Home Shield's representative, knowingly and willfully did not act in good faith, which is of the utmost importance in any contract. Under the Federal False Claims Act, the contract clearly violates the consumer protection law. Our repeated attempts requesting from American Home Shield to correct its serious misrepresentation of our property to allow for the rejection of service claims have been ignored. As a result we suffered substantial financial loss on our business, while our tenants have been subjected to excessive hardship.

Hi Matt,

I hate to hear about your most recent experience with AHS and the new contract agreement. I would be glad to speak with you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

The heater was not turning on. The gas valve was broken and it was off. Air Dynasty has fixed it and it's turning on, but it's making a weird noise. So I need to have them come out again. Other than that, somebody has come out and fixed everything that I've called American Home Shield for. It was easy to file a claim but they'd choose who would come out.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Submitting a claim with American Home Shield was a pain in the butt. Standlee came out and they were horrible. They said that our whole AC unit was shot and we were going to need another one. The company wanted to charge us $3,800. I wanted to pay the money because I was cold but my husband said that something didn't add up. How did they know it was going to cost $3,800 before they even sent in the quote to American Home Shield? It was weird. Standlee was trying to take us for a ride.

We wanted a second opinion but American Home Shield didn't want one. We kept getting the runaround from them. Finally, we just said to have JW come look at the unit. Once American Home Shield approved JW to come, things got a lot better. JW was fine and was a lot faster. Their guy came and he said he couldn't do anything because he was only there for a second opinion. But he was going to submit the paperwork. That was a Friday. He was back at our house Tuesday morning. He fixed our unit and we now have heat.

What could be improved with American Home Shield is when they tell you they're gonna call you back, they should call you back especially if you have been calling them every day for two to three weeks. We would ask to speak to a supervisor and customer service would tell us that it would be 24 before one could call us. But we never even got a call back from a supervisor. Customer service would also tell us that it would be 24 hours before they could get the request for a second opinion. We would never get a callback so we always had to call them back. The service was bad. If I'm paying for something, I expect that much respect to at least get the call back when they tell you they're going to keep in contact with you.

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We hope you continue to enjoy American Home Shield and the customer service we provide!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

We had a leaking hose bib in the backyard. The guy from Blue Star Plumbing in Plano came. He was really prompt, nice, knew exactly what to do, repaired it, and sent pictures. We had another claim on a cabin shower stoppage in the past. It was a different company and they took care of it.

Hi Janet,

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

My drain was stopped. The tech came out and unclogged it. He also told me that the hot water heater was out. I paid the 75 and he came and lit the pilot. I told him the pilot was already lit but the hot water wasn't getting hot. He then told me that the heater needs to be replaced but he didn't put a work order in for it. So, I had to wait until Happy New Years to put that in.

American Home Shield Company Information