Get a Quote

3. Home Warranties

4.4/5 (15398 ratings)
Get a Quote

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances in 49 states. The company has access to a network of over 16,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Customizable coverage plans

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems, appliances or both. It's not the cheapest option, but it comes with some extra perks. Add-on coverage is available for electronics, pools and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

The HVAC claim I've had has been taken care of. But I've been dealing with American Home Shield for a couple of years and I'm getting more dissatisfied every time I call. They had someone come out and check the air conditioner and I paid $100 upfront and then they charged me $400 to fix it. It was just because the vents were clogged. If it continues in this vein, I will be changing my warranty company.

I have had a couple of technicians come to my house for another issue at my permanent address and they've been okay. But I'm also still waiting on a callback for my microwave. It has gone out in October and here it is, almost January. I'm not very happy with that. Be cautious of American Home Shield. Check them out and talk to other people about them first besides me.

Hi Charles,

We appreciate your feedback about your most recent AHS experience and the air conditioner service call. I would be glad to speak with you about the issues.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I had American Home Shield since November and it is truly the best decision I made. A month later or so, I had a claim that I needed to get out and then to address, and everything I could imagine with a warranty company came to fruition. It was an awesome switch because I had one where they were trying to get more money. But American Home Shield definitely deserved my money. I wish there's an app that I can do on my phone. But in the entire process where I had to submit the claim online, it was easy, practical, and self-explanatory.

The evening prior, I got the call for service. The initial conversation I had with the individual from Neblett Construction wasn't what I wanted to hear because she wanted to push me out to Monday, after the holidays, and it was currently a Wednesday. I told her that my house was in the low 60s, extremely uncomfortable, and I needed somebody to come out. If they can't help me that day, American Home Shield can find me another vendor or contractor. Then she said she would give me a callback. She called me back literally a couple of minutes later and said that somebody would be out that day at a time frame of 8:00 to noon.

The technician had a busy schedule, it was leading up to the holiday, and he still came and fixed the problem and ensured that I understood what was going on. He was fantastic from the beginning to the end. Phenomenal customer service. It was streamlined. American Home Shield knows how to take care of their people. Keep up the superb customer service and the way of performing and conducting business.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

The guys from South Cooling were amazing. They came out to make a repair because the drain for my air conditioning system was blocked. It was a simple service so it was very quick. The guys were very kind and were straight to the point with me in telling me what the problem was so it was pretty easy. The air conditioner is working pretty good now. It was nice and easy working with American Home Shield.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

The garbage disposal was leaking when the guy from A & S Mechanical originally came. It was clogged, so he unclogged it for me and he said that it was not fixable. So we ordered a new one and he came and replaced it. Then Saturday, when they came, they had to order the part and then he called me when the part was in. He came early Saturday morning and replaced it. So everything was hooked up but the electrical side was not working. The garbage disposal has an electrical part with the wires and the wires couldn't go in. So I can't dispense food down there because the wires are not connected because of an electrical problem. He tried to connect the wires, but the wires weren't working. So we had dispatched for an electrician to come in.

The electrician came Monday morning and looked at it. But he had to put in another request for something else 'cause somehow, there was not enough power and he needs American Home Shield's permission first. He was gonna call the insurance company and explain to them. Now, the garbage disposal is good. But I can't put food down there because it's not gonna mash it up because it's not connected. But everything else is working fine. I can use the sink and the wires on the side. Overall, American Home Shield is really good to have when you own a home. They were super nice and super polite and they came on time.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Steve Rogers Locksmithing was excellent. He was very polite, professional, courteous and quick. The same day, I made arrangements to have someone come for the ice maker because it won't shut off. The AHS rep made an appointment to have somebody come to fix that. She took my $100 payment to have an appliance guy come. As soon as he came in, he said the ice maker’s not covered. I paid $100 for nothing. When I called, right after finding out that it wasn't covered, the first thing the rep said was, “You shouldn't have made the appointment. It's not covered.” I said, “I'm new. You made the appointment for me.” She stopped right there.

I’ve been trying to get my $100 back. There was a dispute put in by a rep over a week ago. That rep said that he would call me back in two days. He never called back. Till I called today, and they saw that it was sent to whatever department. The girl today told me they could take a week or two to get a response. I told her it wasn't acceptable. Now, I have concerns with the furnace because it's very loud. I'd like to make an appointment to have someone come, but then I don't know if I trust AHS.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

The heater was running but it wasn't heating. I requested service on American Home Shield's website, and they sent out a contractor. I talked to him personally and he said he would be out on Christmas Eve, which was very nice of him. He was knowledgeable. It wasn't really his fault. He fixed it that day. Then the heater did it again four days later. I came to find out that the sensor went off because my chimney is clogged. It was not so much a furnace issue. So, I'm having a chimney guy come out.

I don't have money to pay for appliances, a heater or an air conditioning unit. It says that American Home Shield will send somebody out to fix it or they'll replace it. My heating and my air conditioning units are very old. The heater is 20 and the air conditioning condenser is 30. But they both work perfectly. When I bought the house I made sure I had somebody to come out and look at them. I just figured I’d get American Home Shield just in case. In the dead of heat if the air conditioning unit dies, then I can put a service request in and have someone come out. If it breaks, I won't have to shell out like $7,000. I'd recommend American Home Shield. I'd tell others it's a great idea. It covers all of your appliances. The higher you pay monthly, the less you got to pay for a claim. Then you just have somebody come out and they look at it, and they’re pretty fast with it.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I had leaky gas from my stovetop. American Express Appliance Service was recommended by American Home Shield, so I went with them. They sent a technician over to evaluate whether there was a leak and if it could be fixed. They made an assessment to replace the whole unit. They would have repaired it if it could have been repaired. But they didn't need to. We had to replace the whole unit. the technician who came was on time, accurate and helpful. On the technician side, things were 100% good. The problem is that AHS has somebody who answers the phone who is very unprofessional. That's your first interaction with the company, and it's very unpleasant. The person who does the scheduling has very poor customer service skills.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I liked the way Draingo did the service. I had a wonderful interaction with them. People should go ahead and get signed up with AHS right away because they will help you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

My smoke detectors, hallway light, and several electrical outlets weren't working. Two techs from Electrical Service came out and fixed all of those. Then my microwave was tripping the breaker out in the box. They were great. They were very smart and knowledgeable. One of the plugs wasn't even broke. It has a different switch out in the garage. All I have to do is press the button. So one of the techs tested that one and then we went to the garage and pressed the button, and even everything outside started working. But I'm not happy with AHS after this visit. They charge $100 every time somebody comes out. The guys assured me that I didn't have to pay the 100 for the microwave, but AHS wants to charge me another $100 just for somebody to come out because it's an appliance and they did other work in the house.

If I have a service call for electrical, and they came in, and they wrote up the paperwork saying that it wasn't electrical, and it was the appliance itself, they shouldn't re-charge that person. I'm in disagreement with them right now. So when my contract is up with them in July, I'm not renewing it. Also, they don't cover anything outside. So if you have a plumbing leak outside in your garden, they don't cover it. I have found a different warranty company that does.

Stephanie,

Thanks for providing your feedback. I hate that you were not satisfied with your experience. I sent an email to you in an effort to offer further assistance. Please respond to that email at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I had a dryer issue. When I called American Home Shield, the company assigned to my claim reached out to me within 24 hours. The next day, I had my dryer repaired on time and with a good company. The techs knew exactly what was wrong with the dryer and repaired it with no problem. They were very professional and knowledgeable of the Samsung dryer I have. I read about Home Shield and somebody said having them was a bad experience. I had a very pleasant one. I highly recommend AHS.

American Home Shield response

We really appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your future AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

We woke up Sunday morning, and the furnace wasn't working. It wasn't heating. We called American Home Shield for a service call. Somebody responded and gave us a timeframe and said the technician will contact us. The guy was prompt. He got here within two hours. My husband spoke to him. He was very efficient. He was there for 20 minutes, went up in the attic, assessed the problem and fixed it. He cleaned some parts on the furnace up in the attic that was dirty and he told us about that, and did his thing and reset the furnace, and heat came out. It's been working fine.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

American Home Shield's phone service is horrible. I can't get anybody on the phone. But if going online, it's great. As far as them doing what they say they're going to do, no issue. I had some locks rekeyed and the contractor that came out got everything done that day. They were great. Then I have an oven that's still not functioning, can't get parts so not a whole lot we can do about that. It's just hard to cook without an oven, at least for my wife. I submitted a claim on the dishwasher as well. It's mostly fixed. AHS had to order some parts for it too.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Submitting the claim for my dryer was fine, but it took months to get it resolved. The repair man came three times over two months or more and replaced just about everything. It still didn't work and then finally it was decided we needed a replacement, which I just found out yesterday. I have to go buy one 'cause they didn't have one and they couldn't get one. American Home Shield gave me money, which I don't believe is enough compared to the one I'm replacing. I also have one more pending claim, and I had one completed for a heat pump. They fixed it on the first trip out.

Thomas,

Are you still in need of assistance?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

My microwave was not heating. The first technician wasn't able to assist because he wasn't able to bring down the microwave. Somebody else was sent out. I, in the meantime, had to have the microwave taken down. When he came, he repaired it fairly quickly, and he was able to put it back in where it belonged. The claims process with American Home Shield was pretty simple and quick. It was scheduled really fast. I had a good experience for being my first time.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

There was sediment in the hot water tank and it was cloudy. The hot water was faulty. I asked for a service guy to come and drain and check the tanks. He drained the front tank and cleaned it out. That cleared that one up but the second tank was rusted and corroded. It was leaking and it was just terrible. They had to replace it. They were thorough and they knew what they came to do and how to do it. When they left, I was satisfied. They even told me what the code was and what it would take to bring it up to code. But on the back heater, we weren't able to because of the way it was installed. The guy said the inspector would see that and understand that.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I do my claims online and that is very easy. For a dishwasher claim, the tech that came out was fine, very nice, and competent. He got to the problem really quickly and that was resolved really well. The dishwasher was so bad it needed to be replaced. We’re waiting for the new one to come in right now. AHS has done really well so far. I’m very satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

The technicians sent by American Home Shield have been fine. We just had one come out and fix our microwave last week and he was wonderful. But the airconditioner claim was a biggie. The air conditioner wasn't working. It was the hottest week of the year and we had to go for two weeks to wait for a system. Then the contractor came out and did the same halfway-fixing that American Home Shield wanted and they didn't cover anything. We ended up replacing the whole darn system at our cost because they wanted to just do a patch and it wasn't going to work for us.

We had the work done in September and we sent the claim in. We've been waiting for the claim for a long time. American Home Shield said it got lost on a desk. We’ve been paying on this account since we bought the house 20 years ago. So it's a little bit disappointing when we have a claim and they say that they don't know what has happened. We’re not happy right now with their service.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

The sink was just leaky, and that part of the plumbing was a bit old. American Home Shield told me who would call me to make the appointment and what time frame. Jed Plumbing and Gas came by. They identified the issues, swapped out parts, and then I was good to go.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

We had leaking faucets and the tech from High Priority Plumbing came out. It went well. No more water dripping. American Home Shield was quick, fast, and efficient.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

We had a plumbing issue with the faucet. The person from Honest Plumber came and he was very nice and professional. I was very satisfied with him. Overall, American Home Shield was excellent.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I was satisfied with AHS. Everything went smoothly. Once I put in a request for repair to have something looked at, they follow through really fast and efficiently.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

The fan acted like it was getting ready to fly off the ceiling, so I called it in and it was been taken care of. American Home Shield got my $100 co-pay and the techs came in peacefully and left as peacefully as they came in. They came in with their mask, kept the mask on, and did something to the fan and the ceiling. They weren't here 15 minutes and they fixed it. They were excellent in their professionalism, so everything went well.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

The garbage disposal wasn't working, so I reached out to American Home Shield. A tech came out and he handled it in about 30 minutes. It looks like something was caught in it. He went over the options there to kind of troubleshoot for the future. So, it went great and pretty smooth.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. My name is Stacy and I have just sent you an email as I would like to contact you in an effort to assist with a resolution.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

It seems pretty hard to get qualified vendors from American Home Shield. Plumbing and heating and air are areas that have a few people that are with the home warranty company that are actually good. There is a lot of paperwork involved and American Home Shield doesn't have some contractors that are willing to do that or who are qualified. But Powell Electric is a contractor that has never been a problem and I really like their company. They are excellent and I’m so glad that they’re part of American Home Shield.

The last time I had heating and air problems, I had to get my own vendor. That was really hard because there was nobody that could do the job that I needed to fix my heating and air. American Home Shield then reimbursed the vendor. With the last one before they got somebody, that person came out three times and didn't do anything. He just sat downstairs and looked at the unit.

The week before Christmas, I had a plumbing issue. Technicians came out and they found another issue. I haven't heard from them since. It says on the dashboard that they're seeking authorization. That aside, reaching American Home Shield online has been really great. The last year that I needed them, they were great in attending to everything that I needed. Before that, it was really hard to get some sort of resolution when I had that issue with my heating and air.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I like the service from American Home Shield. I call and put the request and it gets taken care of. Tom Melton Services is pretty good. But I have another issue that hasn't been really solved. It has been four months and nobody has gotten back to me. I paid $75 for the plumber to come out here to do nothing. I told whoever I talked to that it was a spigot outside. But the last one that I talked to said that it wasn't covered. I wanted my $75 back because they should've said that it wasn't covered under the warranty.

Antonio,

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

My bathroom sink and my kitchen sink were stopped up. The plumber went in and snaked the bathroom sink. He was less than 30 feet out then said a root came up. Then, he went into the kitchen and snaked the sink too. He said it was gunk and grease that came back up. On the 4th, I received an email stating, “There were limitations associated with approving your stoppage for dispatch ** under your American Home Shield service.” I called in about it and the rep said, "What you’re requesting isn't covered.” I told her the plumber had already come out on the 30th. She said ok and we hung up. I was a little confused on that.

I have the entire package that covers clogs and appliances. I have an issue going on with my washing machine that's been over a month now. They keep coming back. They replaced the motherboard and tried to fix it. The appliance company is great. It’s just that the washing machine is on its way out. They were telling me I have 30 days to call them back and I wanna call in if it's the same thing with the plumbing. My sink is still doing the same thing so I gotta call the plumber myself.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

After several call and unqualified technicians calling and coming to our home our Bosch tankless hot water heater was serviced by one of their top notch team. He was scheduled to come at 2Pm however he didn’t get here until 8PM and was high on **, said it wasn’t serviceable and would return tomorrow. He never showed back up. We called them back to ask what was going on and my wife was talked down to and my daughter was called an inbred!

I had just purchased the home and asked for an “American Home Warranty” which I have had excellent service from in the past. I wrote the VP Raj Midha. He had Jody ** email me and I was told basically that I had to pay got the service call from a company I chose since they didn’t have anyone in my area, and if the prognosis was that it hadn’t been maintained I had to pay the bill in full! Now I had gotten this warranty as a new purchase. How the hell do I know if the previous owner maintained it? They don't care. I wouldn’t recommend this company to shine my sneakers!!!! Never mind protecting my assets! Beware. They have many names. Do your research. Please don’t be another VICTIM of on American company deception!

Sharon,

Are you still in need of assistance?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Our garbage disposal quit working and ended up with a hole in the side so it was leaking water. Also, our oven was getting way too hot. For the garbage disposal claim, the service provider got right back to us and made a very timely appointment. For the oven claim, the contractor declined the call because he wasn't available for a few days but nobody told us. So, a few days later, I called American Home Shield back and that's when I was told that he had declined it. I just wish they would have called that they were having trouble getting a contractor. AHS set up the claim again and that just got fixed last week. My wife used it today and texted me saying that she still doesn't think it's working right.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

It was super easy submitting a claim to American Home Shield. I've already made one and had it serviced. The contractor resolved the issue by doing some maintenance on the air conditioning heating unit and they replaced a part. Since then, the AC has worked very good. I'm satisfied with American Home Shield. It's convenient, helpful and had quick resolution.

Hi Jordan,

We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

The dishwasher was holding water and wouldn't flush it out. I called AHS and then they immediately sent me an email and said the company that was going to reach out to me. When the tech came, he was very COVID safe. He was masked up and very clean. He asked me to move some of the items so he was not touching my personal belongings. He did his work and laid out towels. He opened up all the pipes. Once he was done with his work, he cleaned everything up and helped put everything back together. He was great. In fact, I'm having issues with my washer and I asked AHS to send the same company. Overall, it was an easy and seamless experience.

American Home Shield Company Information