2. Homeowners

4.4/5 (17378 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances in 49 states. The company has access to a network of over 16,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Customizable coverage plans

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems, appliances or both. It's not the cheapest option, but it comes with some extra perks. Add-on coverage is available for electronics, pools and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

It's been a month now since we originally filed a claim for our dryer and it's still not fixed. The problem was misdiagnosed the first time a tech came out. He changed one part but that wasn't it. But we couldn't get them back out for another week. Plus, we were gone for a couple of days so it wound up being another two weeks in between the first time and the second time the tech came out. I was there the second time a tech came and he was nice enough. He figured the problem out that time. It was something that he didn't quite catch the last time. We also had to wait for the part to get here. American Home Shield could not get it because of COVID.

I have renewed with AHS every time and I'd tell others to get the home warranty. It's worth the money, especially if you have an older home. If you bought a home that was pre-owned, you just never know. I had to put another call in today with AHS. This weekend, we noticed we were getting a soggy piece of our yard. After my daughter and her boyfriend dug down to it, we found that we have a broken pipe between the main and the double-stop on the sprinkler thing. They were able to put in a patch and get that taken care of. But there's another small leak somewhere else and service people are coming out tomorrow. It was pretty fast.

Mary,

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

We came here, we didn't have an issue, but then the furnace started making a lot of noise and we noticed a lot of stuff. We had two different companies come out. The first one said there were no issues. The second one said it needed replacement. We also contacted on our own four other HVAC companies and they all said it needed replacement. But American Home Shield said that it was not a regular wear and tear. They said it looked like there was mud in it like that would happen in a flood because it was the dirt in the water that clumped together and made it look like there was mud in our furnace although there was no water line. The other HVAC people said that it has not been in a flood. Obviously, there were no signs of flood in our basement.

The former owners never changed the filter and the condensation that collected ruined the whole furnace. We're having to get the furnace replaced ourselves and it's very expensive and it's really frustrating because that's why we have a home warranty. Then recently, Lang's Locks was dispatched out to rekey the house. They were great. Everything's functioning perfectly since they came.

Lori,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you. Our goal is to pair you with the best contractor that will provide a quick and final resolution. We look forward to our continued business together. Have a good day.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

The service has been very good. I had a tech for the air conditioning and he did his inspection, showed me a couple of things, and cleaned the filter. He told me it was in good operating capacity.

American Home Shield response

We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you. Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us regarding your AC request. Your malfunction will always be our priority. We look forward to our continued business together. Take Care.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I called in a claim and the rep took my order and asked me if I needed anything else. It was pretty nice. Sevier Climate Control came out and was pretty professional and knowledgeable. The tech went above and beyond what I was asking him to do. The thermostat was set up right for the system and the heat pump was turning on when it shouldn't have been turning on. He went and checked both the heat pump and the heater when he really didn't have to do that. He opened it up and checked it out to make sure everything was good.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Updated on 12/10/2020: Please be advised, these guys are scam and steal your money. Today, the third contractor was sent to my home, this is in total 9th visit. Guy was literally starring at the dishwasher for 30 minutes and then says my heating element is not working and that need replacement. When I ask how he know that he said just a guess. So I had him prove that to me, after opening the entire thing and using an external device he concluded heating element is working. Then he was again starring at the machine for another 30 minutes and says I can't fix it, he agreed that dishwasher is not able to dry the dishes.

For entire 1.5 hours, we were using a translator to talk to each other. Guy had no information on the history of the machine and couldn't understand much. As per AHS, contractor has concluded that machine is working fine. When I asked to talk to supervisor or do a conference with the contractor they are not willing to do so. When I called contractor their manager said that he never told AHS that machine is working as expected. Please stay away from these guys, they don't respect your time and have horrible customer service. They will tell you someone will call and resolve the issue but you will never receive the call.

Original Review: I have a dishwasher that's not drying dishes. Called these guys to fix it. The technician has come to my home over 8 times now in the last 8 weeks and this problem is still not fixed. They broke the entire unit and now fixing taking it as slow as possible. There is no way to escalate the issue, their customer service is a joke, they don't know any details every time they will put me on hold for over 20 minutes and end the call with one answer we will fix it as soon as possible. There is no way to escalate this issue so I am just stuck with a broken unit now.

Hi Kush,

I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution for the dishwasher repairs and to address the delay in service.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Recently, our dining room light suddenly wasn't working, even though we replaced the bulbs. The tech that came ended up doing a reset. It was a very simple fix. We had a hallway light that has never worked, so he had to do some rewiring there to get it to work. Also, in our daughter's room, we wanted to have the light switch connected to her ceiling fan. He was great. He was super friendly, super helpful and explained everything he was doing as he was doing it. I have kids that were running underfoot the whole time and he was super nice to them too. I also really appreciate that.

We've had American Home Shield for two years and this year is the first time we've ever used it. We've used it three times and we're just so happy with it every time. I usually submit my claim by phone 'cause that's how I feel most comfortable rather than trying to submit claims online. They're always really easy to get ahold of. I'm not sitting on hold for 30 minutes. Once I get the claim put in, right away, the ball is rolling. Within three business days, I've got my service worker out here fixing it. It's been great. We are definitely a customer for life.

Hi Erin,

thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

The Sears gentleman that showed up did a great job. He showed me what was wrong with the icemaker on my refrigerator and fixed it. He was timely and efficient.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

We had a problem with our electricity in the kitchen. We called American Home Shield and Bill Richards Electric came out and found the problem. Everything was excellent. They were top-notch. They fixed it as soon as they could. They had to put some sort of a box and put some light. It looks good and everything works.

Kathleen,

Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

It was pretty easy to navigate through the American Home Shield website. It was perfect dealing with Control Plumbing. Nothing is wrong with the plumbing since they came. I also had a claim for the air conditioning and the experience was great as well. But when we renewed my contract, the woman that I spoke with got me a really good price. But she didn’t say it was gonna be $100 every time they came out. I thought it was gonna be the same as what I had, which was $75. When I looked over the contract, I read that but it wasn’t clear when I was doing it with the rep. So it was a little bit sneaky, but I did it anyway.

Autumn,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you. Our goal is to pair you with the best contractor that knowledgeable and able to explain what is going on. We look forward to our continued business together. Have a good day.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I've had some other experiences with Home Shield and they weren't amazing, but this one was great. Sears was fantastic. They were fast, professional and courteous. We recently bought a home and Home Shield has been worth it over the span of it. It's a great service and good peace of mind.

Hi Paul,

We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I have been satisfied with AHS but they could be a little more lenient with claims. Sometimes you have to fight to let them know what's wrong. I had a problem with one particular claim but most of the time, it's not a problem. In fact, I'm waiting for a check for a refrigerator that I replaced. Most of the vendors are okay. Southern Appliance Service was wonderful. They were nice, professional and honest.

Shelley,

Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Express Appliance came last week to fix my washer and dryer. They fixed the dryer. The washer, they said it was fixed. But the night that I tried to use it, I couldn't use it because it was not working. It was stopping in the middle of the cycle a couple of times. I called them the day after and they told me that they need to contact American Home Shield to open a new case. I did immediately. Then they want to give me an appointment they said like a week later. Even when I booked it online, what happened was they changed my timing that I picked by the website. It was supposed to be 2:00 to 6:00, and they changed it to 11:00 to 2:00. It was very annoying because I'm working and I already took two days on vacation for fixing the washer, and I need to take another one, and I was trying to take half a day vacation, which they basically messed up. 11:00 to 2:00 means morning and the afternoon.

I already waited for 10 days that they show up for the first time with the hope that it's getting fixed. I need to wait another week. This is not a normal timing. With COVID, as somebody who's out there working with COVID patients, where can I take my clothes to wash? Who feels comfortable and who can wait three weeks to wash the clothes? I need to frequently change my clothes because I don't want to be spreading the virus. I was very upset about that. I had a long discussion with them. They said, "That's what it is. We have a shortage of contractor and that's what it is." Then it's useless for me.

Submitting claims is fine. I can do it and it's pretty fast, and it's pretty straightforward, if it works, not that I do something online and they change it through the text and say, "Hey, this is going to be your appointment time." They offer three time slots, morning, midday, in the afternoon. I picked the afternoon that works for me. They texted me that they change it to the midday the same day. Then what's the purpose of putting different timeslots during the day? If you want to change it, then just put it the day and say you need to stay home for the whole day that they may show. That's not something that they expect in 21st century. Now, I'm not very satisfied. I was counting. Was it really worth the money that I paid? I could buy a washer with $700 that I already paid. I'd tell people I know that they can find a company that's better than American Home Shield.

Hossein,

We do apologize for the inconvenience and your work was not properly done. It is not our intent to cause a difficult experience related to your repairs. We do appreciate you for sharing your experience, and allowing us assist. My name is Robert and I will be assisting you further.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

The heating unit outside started making a lot of noise. Initially, I called a company because I didn't know the protocol for the insurance. They came out, charged me $125, and said the unit needed to be replaced. There was coolant all over and they had shut it off. I called American Home Shield and the rep said they had to look at the unit through their agent so that was another $100. Two young men came out from Jeff City. They said there was nothing wrong with my unit. It was making noise but it was okay. I was very pleased because I felt that they had a lot to lose. They could have come in and said everything needed to be replaced as the other company did. Also, the young man said that I had not lost any of the coolant although it was down a little bit.

Everything is running okay now. The heating unit outside doesn't seem to make the clanging noise as before. I was very pleased with the company. I would recommend American Home Shield solely because it was my understanding that had my furnace needed to be replaced, it would have been replaced completely. A lot of the places would cover $500. But I was told American Home Shield would replace it entirely and that is worth the premium to me.

Jacqueline,

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

When submitting claims, I'd prefer to go to the website. I've tried calling in before and it was not intuitive. Recently, we had a leaking faucet. The plumber from Holland Plumbing came. He was very good and informative. He told me what was wrong and took care of the issue right away. It was very satisfying. With this current visit, I would recommend American Home Shield. They were fast and efficient.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for your feedback. We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service. And we are always here if you need us.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Choice Plumbing and Heating replaced a water heater and they were great. On that particular claim, the experience was really pretty easy. We live out of state so that house, at that time, was a rental house. They were fantastic. But I can't say that has always been the case with American Home Shield. When I call American Home Shield, I can always expect at least a half an hour to 45-minute wait. But this last time, they had it set up where there was a callback. Previously, that was not the case.

We live in Traverse City and American Home Shield has just not worked here at all. A part of the problem is that when I call in, most of the time, I'm getting some kind of phone banks in India and they do not understand what I have to say. I've called in where I've had something scheduled and nobody ever showed up and I have to call again. Then they say that they don't have anybody. It has just been a nightmare.

James,

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

For my garage door, American Home Shield sent a technician out. He was excellent and it was fixed very quickly. The technicians for the microwave were also great. What I don't think is fair is that since American Home Shield was not able to procure on their own a microwave that was suitable for me, they made me go pay for it and gave me a very small allocation. I ended up paying a lot and I don't remember signing anything that said if they can't uphold their end of the deal, then I have to pay more. I had to go to the store, buy a microwave, arrange for the installation, and pay everything up front. They only ended up giving me about half. I've been using American Home Shield for years and I've had a lot of success with them. But in this particular case, I think they made a bad policy call. It's not like I tried to get the most expensive. I got the only white, over-the-stove microwave that was available.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Stacy and I've emailed you as I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

There was a little leak upstairs from the faucet and there was water coming out everywhere on the second floor. The techs came by and it was just a loose pipe. So they got it fixed up and that was about it. But I wasn't aware that they were going to cut a hole on the roof to access it. AHS told me that they were going to cover the small access hole where the techs made it at but they were not going to touch it up. So I had someone come out so that they can do this full job of touching it up and texturizing it so that it doesn't look misplaced.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Thermostat Mechanical came out for our water heater issue. I have two and they said they got one working, but that one controls the flooring in my garage. The other one that controls the hot water to all of the bathrooms and sinks is not working. They said that they had to order a part and the part should have been in last Monday or Tuesday. I gave them the benefit of the doubt because it was Thanksgiving week. I called American Home Shield and said that the part's not in. I have six children and with the pandemic, COVID, we couldn't go anywhere to take a shower. I'm not really happy. I haven't had water for over two weeks now. I've called the office and spoke with a rep. I left her numerous messages and she never called back. But the technician was amazing. He's been calling and telling me about the part.

In the event that there is something that is going to be a long process, there has to be some contingency plan for expediting or overnighting, especially when it's something that's critical. Then I asked if they could install the part if I locate it. They said no and that I would be fully responsible. They should allow me to locate the part and still cover it under the warranty. Another thing is that if it would really take 10 to 14 days to get the part, then just replace the water heater. It can be bought anywhere and there's no delay in that. The technician, upon arrival, said that he had to do a process of elimination for troubleshooting, so he was not even sure if it would fix it. Nevertheless, I am happy with my past experiences with American Home Shield and overall, I would still recommend them.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your AHS experience. Please let us know if you need assistance in regards to your warranty.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Pro N Stall came out for a plumbing issue and they did a great job. However, we're having an AC issue and my husband texted me not long ago to indicate that the company will be coming out Friday between noon and 5:00. The switch that they have to fix causes the unit to lose freon. The unit's full of freon but they are going to let the freon out to fix whatever the problem is then charge us $560 to put freon back in. My husband had already looked it up online and said that there was a way to release the freon so that it could be put back into the unit and you wouldn't have the expense of the freon. It's 80 bucks per pound and American Home Shield pays $10 per pound for it. Why are you charging a customer that kind of money when there's a way to drain it out, fix the problem and put it right back in? How many other customers have not looked it up and didn't know that there was a way to do it and they are just charging them?

Benita,

Thanks for providing your feedback. I was sorry to hear that we had not provided a suitable resolution for your malfunction. I tried to reach you via email, phone, and here on this site in an effort to assist. Please respond to the email sent to you from Consumer Affairs if further assistance is needed and I will follow up with you from there.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

We called for some leakage at a couple of our pumps and AHS assigned the claim to Expert Pools. They came over here the next day, diagnosed the issues and identified where the leaks were. The guy resolved the issue and answered all of the questions I had regarding the piping and the gaskets that were used. He was very knowledgeable. He definitely educated me on some parts of the pump that I had no idea about. There was a question I had regarding the DE or DF pump which is the main pump on our pool. He kind of tested that as well and made sure everything was functioning even though he wasn’t required to for the claim. He went above and beyond what we asked for. This was the first claim and it was quick. He was in and out within half an hour. The other was the plumbing which is still pending. Someone came out here at the same time and gave us an estimate, and we're gonna go ahead and do the work.

Hi Jerry,

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Service Contractors was unbelievable. Charlie, the guy they sent out, was phenomenal. American Home Shield got on the thing quick, so we had heat the very next day and it was great. I did the request one on the computer and got an immediate response by email or text. They said, “This is the people that are going to be calling you, but it's okay for you to call them.” I called Service Contractors and they said, “Yeah, we'll be out tomorrow between 10:00 and 2:00.” It wasn't a complicated issue, but Charlie knocked it out in short order and we were good to go. This experience was very good. I know that American Home Shield has caught some flak, but I haven't ever had any problems with them at all. We've had them for 15 years and I would tell everybody that they have been great for us.

Hi Randy,

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

We had an issue with the circuit breaker. American Home Shield sent out Illuminate Contracting. They were a little lazy and they were tracking mud inside the house. They could have put their shoes in a plastic bag but they said, “Nah.” Also, we have to pay a $70 fee for something that’s not getting fixed. The breaker is working but it usually goes off in about a month or a couple of weeks. This is the fifth time service people came out.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. My name is Stacy and I have just sent you an email as I would like to contact you in an effort to assist with a resolution.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

There's a drain that's backing up. I alerted American Home Shield about it and then they contacted the other place. They came out to service it and it didn't get fixed. I was about to call American Home Shield as soon as I get some time because I called them on Saturday but nobody ever got back to me. The problem’s not fixed.

Prior to the techs coming out, they sent a text message and a phone call and then they came and then they couldn't fix it. They sent someone back and the other guy did fix it. Then it backed up again. He never came back out because I just submitted through American Home Shield. They're supposed to come out three times but they came out two times. The first time, the guy couldn't do it. They sent another guy back and the other guy did it. It was fixed for about a week or two and then it backed up again. I just called American Home Shield and started to go about submitting the claim. Then I talked to Air Pro Masters and they said they don't have the tool to do it. So, I have to find a new contractor.

That was last week and there's water still backing up. Once it hits drywall and baseboard, American Home Shield’s gonna be liable for that. I've been with American Home Shield for 20 plus years off and on in different houses. It's hard to contact anybody down there. A lot of things have not been handled. If I don't pick up the phone and make a two-hour phone call at least to try to get somebody on the phone, it's not going to get fixed. On my plumbing issue, nobody ever called me back like they said they would. Nobody ever checked on it to make sure it was good the first time. It really sucks. All my friends in the service business know. “Oh, you got American Home Shield?” They laugh at me. It’s a known fact in the service industry.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Hardy Plumbing did a good job with the water heater replacement. They were very courteous, on time and did quality work. I would recommend them. I called in the claim to American Home Shield and it took a minute to get to a representative. But once I got a rep, everything went smoothly. I had another experience with AHS about three years ago and it was equally good. I had an outstanding experience and I'd recommend AHS. It's a worthwhile investment.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing you experience and thanks for recommending us.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

There were some things since we moved into this new house. I went to the site, and I was surprised to see that they offered rekeying, so I signed up for that. And rekeying came out, and that was awesome. So, I tried my luck again. I had all this stuff on my side, the knobs that needed help. The gentleman showed up, knocked it out. He was gone in 30 minutes. It was a good process. Some of the things that I needed some help with just were not a part of American Home Shield based on coverage. For example, we have a mini split AC and that's just not covered. But other than that, the stuff that was covered, so far, just the rekey, went just fine.

Ravi,

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

The contractor called either the same day or the very next day. I got an appointment. It was very quick service. They were efficient. They came out and reviewed everything. He quickly fixed it. It was fixed that day, and that was it. I’m a happy camper. The other claim was dealing with our water heater. I did the same process of placing the claim. I went online, it was easy. It's always easy.

However, the company put in the claim saying that it was 100% finished. But it wasn't, and I noticed that happening several times. Because the companies on the other end want to keep up their obligation and meet their obligation to whether to contact the customer within 24 hours, or to handle the issue. They have up to 48 hours. They go ahead and they input if the situation is resolved or they contacted the customer and the customer didn't answer, in order to just update the records and make sure that everything was okay. It wasn't okay. But they finally came out and did the water heater but when they installed the water heater, they did a lot of external damage.

I told the American Home Shield rep never to send that company out here again for anything that I do. They were like, “We won't.” That company's name is Air Pro Master LLP. It was a couple of times back and forth and I understand that with water heaters, they need to find the right size. But they finally came in and installed it. However, the guy was snippy. He was from a foreign country and didn't speak good English. But he tried to act like he clearly understood what we were saying. I asked him to call back to the company. The company didn't offer the service of installing a drip pan. And because this water heater stands on its own feet, they took our water heater out. The water heater that they took out had a drip pan with it.

I assume this was gonna come with a drip pan, but it didn't. I said, “Can I get a drip pan or can you give me some time to go get a drip pan?” And they were like, “Well, no.” And then they tried to ignore me. I said, “Well, can you call the office and ask them if you guys have a drip pan or can we get a drip pan?” He was huffy puffy, then he called the office, spoke to them in a language that I can't understand, and then he came back to me annoyed. He said that the office manager said it would be almost $400 for a drip pan. And then they would have to not complete the install. Also, they couldn't get the drip pan today. I said, “I can go get a drip pan.” “Well, no, we can't wait for you to get a drip pan.” It was a big old hassle and a headache with him. He was annoyed by me even asking about that.

As far as I'm concerned, you’re a water heater company. You should have to offer the service towards repair and it shouldn't be nearly $400 for a drip pan. A drip pan was not very expensive. Because they were here, everything was disconnected. Obviously, you got to go ahead and install it as I was installing out a drip pan.

Meanwhile, they were standing on my pedestal. You know how some water heaters sit up on a pedestal that is about 18 inches off the ground? That pedestal was made with a metal trim with an outer coating, like that plaster and then they paint it for a smooth finish. He stood on all of that. My house is fairly new. It's a nice finish. And by the time he finished, it's cracked up, the metal is bent, the surface is coming off of it, there are a bit of gashes and scratches from when they would just slide it in, and it's a hot mess. I have to refinish that and make it look new again, or just make it look decent. So, I was not happy with that service and pissed off about the whole attitude and the way it went down.

And then, they supposedly checked it. A couple of days later, when I was coming to my garage, I smelled gas. There is a gas leak in it. So then, we had to call them back or send somebody else out and of course, the gas leak was fixed, but it was a bit of a rigmarole with that company. And the service was awful. It had nothing to do with American Home Shield. However, their contractors are their reputation. They are as good as their contractors. At the end of the day, I still have to deal with the repercussions of the damage that they did. Nobody is gonna fix that damage for me.

I had another issue with the dryer. It took seven days to get an appointment. And it goes back to the issue. You go online, you fill it out, immediately you get a text message and an email saying this is who your contractor is going to be. But then, again, it was a big issue with the contractor, and him even getting us on the schedule. At the end of the day, it was seven days later. I spent almost three hours on the phone with American Home Shield. On the sixth day, I was trying to get American Home Shield to get somebody else and do that so I could at least get my situation evaluated.

American Home Shield needs to understand that their reputation and their service is as good as the contractors they sent out here. I’ve dealt with them for a very long time. Back in the day, my parents had American Home Shield. And then, between my parents, I've dealt with five other warranty companies, and I'm back to American Home Shield. I deal with some real estate, so I've dealt with other warranty companies and I chose American Home Shield for myself. I've got several properties with them at this time.

If I pay for a service, and you provide a service saying you're going to do something within a certain amount of time, then we expect you to do it. I understand things happen. I understand that things need to be ordered. Those are all okay. But when there’s indecisiveness, and the contractor does not contact you properly, the contractors are putting information in the system, the contractor will say, “Oh, we reached out to the homeowner and we're not able to reach them,” that is a bald-faced lie. You can reach me or the tenant there.

We tried to call back. The lines are busy all day. Sometimes we call that contractor but there was no answering service. I was like, “Who is this? Is this a company or is it an individual trying to get some side hustle?” That's not what I hired American Home Shield for, to be hired and contracted for a side hustle. And you go and call me back whenever you can. You possibly don't have an answering service, or you don't have a receptionist. You don't have to have a huge company, but you have to be professional. However, I'm not going to run out and abandon American Home Shield at this point in time. If this happens again and it's gonna be a problem, I'm gonna abandon American Home Shield and just try somebody else because I can't go through it on a professional level with not only with myself, but with my tenants.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

We had a ceiling fan that wasn't working very well. It was like the light wouldn't turn on even though we had a light bulb replaced. Then sometimes, it just wasn't turning on at all. Certified Electrical Technologies came out came out. But before they came out, we realized that the electrical panel just needed to be restarted. That way, the fan could actually work. But then the light still weren't going on. The tech investigated that and realized it was a huge issue in how it was connected. It could have been a fire hazard. He fixed everything with that. Then he also helped with our smoke alarm because it was super sensitive where it was. He gave us some light troubleshooting advice on how to deal with cooking in our fire alarm. It was a really good experience overall. We paid $75 for him to come out. He came out within two weeks because they were kind of busy. They gave us their first available. It was a pretty seamless process.

As far as American Home Shield, I would love to be able to not have to be pigeonholed into only being able to request an electrician to come out because sometimes you have multiple issues. It would be nice if it was all one price to be able to have an electrician come, but then also have somebody else that needs to come and look at a plumbing issue, all within that same kind of one fee. I don't really like their pricing model. It'd be nice if I could just pay $100 to have a couple people come out at once versus having to pay $75 here, $50 there.

Hi Stefanie,

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

Top Notch Plumbing did well. There was a leak in the bathroom and the guy came out and assessed the issue. I have 30 days to see if the problem's still consistent. If not, they'll come back out. But he seemed professional enough and knew what he was talking about. I do have family and friends who have had issues with American Home Shield but from my personal experience, I've had no issues with this company as of yet. They responded within 24 hours which was fast enough so that was good.

Hi Thea,

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I had a leak. Submitting the claim for it to American Home Shield was pretty good. It took a while to get the tech out because the weekend was in between. It took about a week. But the tech was very good. I was telling one of my friends about American Home Shield and she said she didn't like them because there were things that weren't included in the package. She said, "You don't get refrigeration unless you get swimming pool." I said, "That doesn't seem right." She said that I needed to check and make sure that I had the right package. I've just been busy. I haven't had a chance to check and see. But I didn't get the plan in the mail. I had asked the agent I spoke to to please email me the contract that I had. I still haven't gotten it, though.

Sharon,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us. We are working diligently to improve the overall customer experience and we look forward to our continued business together. Have a great day.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

It was a great experience with American Mechanical. They came out and handled my dilemma with precision. They were very professional, courteous and they did the job well. I was on quarantine when they came. I was in my basement and I spoke to them from the bottom of my stairwell. The actual appliance that they were repairing was within earshot. My wife had the interaction with them and she stood by. It was very timely, and they were in and out in no time at all. My wife had some questions and they were able to answer her questions as well. I’m completely satisfied at the moment with American Home Shield.

Hi Kevin,