4.3/5 (13467 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances in 49 states. The company has access to a network of over 16,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Customizable coverage plans

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems, appliances or both. It's not the cheapest option, but it comes with some extra perks. Add-on coverage is available for electronics, pools and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I had some blockage that's reoccurring. I bought the home in November and immediately had some plumbing issues. I had a plumber friend of mine come over and ran a camera through and snaked the sewage lines. But less than a month later, I had to call my home warranty company because I had the same problem. The tech was able to snake the drain. The camera wasn't covered. The next process is wait for it to happen again and try to diagnose the problem. It's temporarily fixed for now, but the problem will be persistent. Other than that, all was well with American Home Shield.

Oscar,

Taking care of our customers is the main goal here at AHS. I am glad that you were happy with the work done. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Our refrigerator is not yet repaired. It has been about four weeks now. Advanced Appliance Service was the first company that came out. They looked at the refrigerator and determined that it was broken. But they were not authorized to repair a refrigerator. So another company that was an authorized LG repair had to be called in. We are scheduled tomorrow to get a repair part for that and hopefully, it will be repaired. As far as dealing with the people, they’ve been fine. I had the rekey and the heating unit inspected. But the heating unit did fail there and Advanced fixed it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Everything was easy. The first time Cities Appliance came out, we thought we had the problem resolved. A couple of days later, the dishwasher did the same thing, so they got it set back up. They came back out again and got it fixed. They were very pleasant, kind, and courteous. It was an excellent experience.

American Home Shield response

I am happy that you were happy with your experience. Although we hope there are no issues with anything in the home in the future, we are here to service you anytime you need us. Thanks for continuing your business with us. Take care!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

My dryer wasn't working. Sears came and put a new switch in. They were nice. Everything's working fine now. I like that when I put in a claim with American Home Shield, they make sure they get done. If it's not right, they’ll send the people back to redo it. They are good and I have enjoyed being with them. Hopefully, we'll be able to stay together for a long time.

Lucille,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us. We are working diligently to improve the overall customer experience and we look forward to our continued business together. Have a great day.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I had no hot water and Ashland Comfort Control came out and they got it going. They were very professional and friendly. They took care of it. American Home Shield's overall claim process was fine.

American Home Shield response

Taking care of our members is the main goal here at AHS. I am glad that you were happy with the work done. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Having American Home Shield is very beneficial. I had stopped for a while but I decided to get back on it. I tried to see if I could save a bit of money. But I said, “No, you know what? Let’s just go ahead and get it again.” Money-wise, I know we end up saving when something comes up and it's too expensive at that time to fix, or having to buy something. It helps out that at least, by paying monthly, I know that my sink will be fixed and if they can't fix them, they will repurchase them or whatever. At first, the contractor replaced the whole icemaker thing, but it's not making any ice. But he is nice and professional.

Mary,

Thanks for letting us know how everything is going so far. Taking care of our customers is the main goal here at AHS. I am glad that you were happy with your experience up to this point. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I didn't have heat on my upstairs heater. Mainline Plumbing Service came out, and they were great. They fixed the issue right away. It was the igniter. They were very professional. It was a good experience with them. As far as the claims submission with American Home Shield, sometimes, when it asks you to diagnose the problem, we have to check off a box so we get the right person, and people that are very non-technical might not know what to check. I ended up clicking furnace, but I wasn't sure because there were a few options. Other than that, the home warranty is great to have. I ended up paying a lot more for mine because my house is considered bigger. I really don't need the electronics coverage that I got. I'd like to change my coverage, but it was apparently too late.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

When my toilet was running, it was very easy to request for service. The repair guy was great too. He knew what he was doing. It's been a good experience.

Kenneth,

Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

My heating unit's blower blows but it won't heat. This has been an ongoing problem and I get American Home Shield to handle it. Twice I have paid out of pocket because my wife and daughter were in the house and it was freezing cold in the middle of winter and AHS was telling me it was going to be a week before anyone could come. Recently, I put in a work order and got Myers Comfort Specialist to come out. Last week they replaced something and the heating unit has been working since. But that's no guarantee that it's gonna be working next week. But, the people from Myers that worked on my unit have been good people and I've been satisfied with the work they have done.

My big thing is getting somebody out in a timely manner. This past Labor Day Weekend, we left on Thursday and my daughter's school had already started. She called me at about eleven o'clock saying that the air conditioner wasn't working. I called American Home Shield and they said that it was gonna be a week before they could get anybody out. I said, "What about my daughter that's in a 100-degree temperature house?” The rep said, "Well, I'm sorry." I called and got a repairman out in two hours. That cost me $375.

There was another time when I had an issue paying their $100 deductible and I wanted to talk to somebody higher up in the food chain. AHS said that they would have somebody call me back but they never did. So, I went ahead and paid the $100. I've had three homes with American Home Shield and I've been using them for 16 years. They say they're going to put all new stuff in. I don't know how they went from being that good a company to what they are now. My deductible used to be $50 and now it's $100 which is double since 2011. I've already started looking to find another company.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Stacy and I've emailed you as I would like to speak to you more about your claim.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Something is always stopped up and we usually call American Home Shield. It takes forever to get through but the contractors that I've dealt with have been fine. I've been happy with the service from AHS. They've always helped us. I've recommended them a number of times so my experience is very good with them.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing you experience and thanks for recommending us.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

The tech was very professional and neat. He explained the situation and told us the recommendations he would be making. It was going to cost more to fix the washing machine than to buy a new one. So, American Home Shield is going to give us a check to replace it. People should go for them.

Denise,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you and we look forward to our continued business together. Have a great day.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

The AC unit stopped working. I submitted a claim with AHS and my experience was fast and easy. The service of the techs they sent out was great as well. I have nothing but positive reviews for the company and the guys that came out and replaced the unit were professional. They were knowledgeable and they were fast about it. We had to have the whole unit replaced and they came Wednesday to do a fast repair or just to fix it in the time being so we could have heat because it was cold here. Then, they came Friday morning at 8am and were finished by 7pm. I highly recommend them to anybody.

Natalie,

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

The heater didn't go the full cycle when it was trying to come on, and then it would blow cool air. American Home Shield sent someone who repaired it that day. He was very friendly and very professional. On this trip, American Home Shield was good. There was one particular time last year where I wasn't pleased with them. I had a letter I was gonna send them and my receipt. Every time I would call them and ask them if I could get a supervisor, I never talked to a supervisor. They would always say that they were working on doing whatever, but it took months for them to get out here and get the air fixed. When they finally did, they got People's Mechanical come out. AHS just didn't do what they were supposed to do and just kept putting us off and the people that they sent didn't do anything. But the tech from People’s Mechanical contacted us and came out, and he was very polite.

Everything ended up going well after People’s Mechanical came out and worked on it. Then this time when I called AHS on a Sunday, they wanted to send somebody. I said, “No, don't send them dude back to my house. Can you call People's Mechanical? Can you call them tonight and see if they can come out.” Mr. People’s called me back Sunday night and said, “I'll see you Monday morning.” When he called me, he said he was running a little late but he came out and did what he was supposed to do.

Jean,

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I kept my warranty up because I was working in California and I paid yearly. But I can't afford to pay like that now. I'm retired. If I call when something is messing up, they charge me $125, and then whoever comes out. Then they take 77.95 out of my check every month. I hope they don't go up. After a while, I won't be able to afford it. One thing is that if my air condition takes some sort of oil, they make me pay for it. I'm hoping that it ain't since I got the three-tier. It covers a lot of things. Recently, the garbage disposal went out. The guy came and checked it. After he tried with some little tool he had, he said the motor's gone. He went out and got one, came back, and installed it. It was an easy fix.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Normally, I reach out to American Home Shield online. But in this case, after they gave me a provider, I looked them up on the web and they had such dreadful reviews that I called the company back and asked if they had anybody else. So they gave me these Comfort Technology people. They were nice and everything got done.

Linda,

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

The furnace was working but there was a part that was making a lot of noise. The technician showed me the part and why it was making that noise. I appreciated the guy took the time to show me exactly what was wrong. The part had to be replaced and they had to order it. We had to wait for about four days but they came on a Sunday to put it on. It was a wonderful experience with American Home Shield.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Our oven wasn't heating properly because the door wasn't closing properly, so we submitted a request through the AHS website. It worked great. They connected us with RC and we were notified that the contractor would contact us within 24 to 48 hours, but they did a little better than that. RC contacted us right away and then came out the next day. The guy came in, took a look at it, knew exactly what the problem was, and made some adjustments. The oven's a little older and he gave us some recommendations on that timing-wise. It was simple and straightforward. All in all, American Home Shield is convenient and effective.

Kevin,

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Completely dishonest and garbage company, as all other users have already mentioned. STAY AWAY! It has been 3 months since I opened service request, no appliances have been fixed, more than 50 phone calls I have done so far, 19 different LIES from them so far (on Record), NO RESOLUTION at all. Imagine not being able to use your Cooktop & refrigerator for 3 months and company not doing anything at all, because it cannot be fixed and per policy they are supposed to pay for replacing appliance, which they obviously don't want to do.

But most important and frustrating point is they lie straight to your face every time you call (not to Mention, every phone call is More than 1hour long, so much waste of time). Finally, they ran out of lies in their runbook and just don't want to do anything. No management or supervisor ever gets involved. All they want is high monthly premiums. You are left helpless and just can't do anything other than cancel your account and all the years of premiums went down the drain. Save your money and most importantly the FRUSTRATION. PS.: If you want to learn how to lie as a customer service rep, best place to work at.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

TLDR: AHS does not have an escalation process in their service centers. If the "process" doesn't work, their only solution is to start over. Be prepared to wait with no guarantee that they'll actually even fix your problem.

My boiler started making an alarming rattling noise around the same time that I noticed it was taking my house longer to heat up. I did some independent research and found it was a defective Flow Control Valve and had another HVAC company come out to confirm, which they did and also informed me that this piece was not necessary for my unit. They could drain the system, remove it and replace with a length of copper pipe to fix the issue, then refill the system. This is an hour or two of work.

I submitted an AHS claim, they selected a vendor, it took 4 days for someone to come out, they found the same diagnosis.... Then another 4 days went by with no update. I called AHS to see what happened and they said the vendor didn't send them a "detailed diagnosis", so I had to call the vendor myself. The vendor said they sent their diagnosis already. The next day it magically appeared, and I got to wait another week until the vendor could have someone out to fix it. When the person showed up, he said he was only approved to flush the system, not fix the defective part. I told him to go home since I knew that wouldn’t fix the issue and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be charged for the incorrect work being done. AHS MARKED MY ISSUE AS FIXED.

I then had to facilitate a back and forth over multiple days between the vendor and AHS arguing about who needed to submit what. I called into their support center multiple times, and at one point I was adamant that I wanted to be escalated to a supervisor and I was effectively told that AHS doesn't have service supervisors available for calls. So the person you call (offshore) is the only person you can speak to, and if the process doesn't work their solution is to start from the beginning again.

It's now January 25th, I submitted my original ticket on the 8th, and I'm worried that my boiler will completely blow, and I'll be without heat. If you're thinking about buying a contract, just know that unless your appliance is broken to the point of becoming a smoldering pile of rubble, you're gonna have to spend a lot of time and effort for any chance of getting your issue resolved. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

The toilet was shooting water out. JBC Plumbing came out. That was the second time they've come out. They fixed my water heater before. They were super timely, and my experience with them has been really positive. It’s super simple to submit claims to American Home Shield. There was one time I was a little bit frustrated. I had something else come up, and it was over a weekend, and getting service over the weekend was kinda tough. But then, with my previous air conditioning unit, I had people come out something like six times before. It was eventually completely replaced. The way it works out for AC companies, they are pretty busy in Hawaii. So, you make the request and five days later, this fellow came out. We had this AC issue drag out for months before it’s eventually fixed. So, economically, it still worked out and it’s really good to have American Home Shield. Having kind of a 20-year-old home, it’s definitely worthwhile to have.

American Home Shield response

Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

We’ve had plumbers come out a couple of times in the last two months. It was a bathtub spout and there was a sink. The faucet had a leak in the bathroom. The toilet was leaking as well. The gentleman from Loyalty's was very kind and offered to take his shoes off when he didn't have to do these initially. He was polite and he cleaned up. He did a great job, told us what he covered and the parts that he had to go order. They were back out in a couple of days. The timing was great. We didn't have to wait for it. They were there when they said they’d be.

Melissa,

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

The guy from Plumbers Inc. was sent for our plumbing issue. He found out the problem and but it took about a week and a half to fix it because his wife was pregnant so he was trying to get her to the hospital when we had my appointment. He put me aside for another week. I was surprised that he didn't refer someone else to take his place to fix my problem. I also wondered why the company didn't send me someone else when he had a problem. There must have been someone else there too besides him to take his place. My problem happened to fall on a holiday time and I really needed my sink because I had company coming. But then I'm very happy with American Home Shield.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

RG Plumbing and Rooter came and checked on my garbage disposal. The tech diagnosed it pretty quickly and told me that he needed to replace it. He was very quick and very efficient. He was very informative on all the information that I needed about the new garbage disposal. He was very friendly. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all with him being in my home. It was a great experience.

I do my claims online to American Home Shield. That process was fairly easy. I just go online and pick whatever it is that I have trouble with. They kinda do a diagnosis. They ask you a few questions about what's going on with whatever it is that you need a request on to see if it can be fixed prior to or if it's something that can be handled myself before I have someone to come out. I thought them adding that new thing was helpful because at least, I wouldn’t have someone coming out and hand that $75 deductible over something that could have easily be fixed by myself. I have a home warranty that’s really good, really efficient and they service any of my needs. It's very cost-efficient as well.

Destiny,

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

I'm satisfied with AHS. They're good, dependable and they respond. I'm glad when they switched over where they take their money right then and there, and then the technician comes out, does the work and he's gone. Years ago, you had to pay the money when the technician came out. I've had other agencies trying to get the business, but I've been with AHS for 20 years. Every time they come out to do something or replace something, it’s been no problem. The tech that came out recently for our garbage disposal was very professional.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Some things get fixed immediately and taken care of. I had a garage door opener and it was done. There were no issues. It was the same case with the plumbing. I'm happy. Rangers Holding came out for a toilet and they're the best repair people I've dealt with so far. AHS also has a call back process which is amazing. You don't have to wait on hold forever. They did get better at calling back and they have gotten better at answering.

It's easy to get a claim going but it's horrendous to get it fixed right. It's a godsend and it's a nightmare. The vendors close a ticket out so they can get some payment. Then you got to call up and reopen it. AHS has to reopen that ticket but it is a logistical nightmare. They try to call the vendor and that will put you on hold. But a lot of times the vendor doesn't answer 'cause they're answering other calls.

I'm trying to get a refrigerator since April to be fixed. The repair people have come out but diagnosed it improperly. They've replaced parts but it wasn't right. The error codes came back. I had to fight forever. I said, "I'm tired. Can you send somebody else? I don't want these people to come out again." They said, "These are the only people we work with." Finally I said I deserve a certified Sub-Zero repairperson and they did do that. But now, I don't know where I'm at.

The consumer can't ever talk to the people that approves so we're one arm's length away from the person that makes the decisions. We have to leave something then a message gets sent to that person. Then that person has to decide then tell the repairperson to call in so we got to rely on the repairperson who doesn't want to call in 'cause he's been at this job six times and he doesn't get a good response from them.

The other side of that is the repair people has to call in for approval and they're put on hold for hours. It makes them not be good because there's no quick access to talk to somebody. If they've got stuff that they have to work for, a lot of times, they just give up or say it's completed. Then what happens is, ultimately, the customer has to sit, call back up and go, "Wait a minute. It's not closed." Aside from the refrigerator, I've got a double oven that was fixed but they couldn't mount it back in so it's sitting in the wall. It's heavy enough that it's going to stay there but it's not completely screwed in so it's a problem. That's something that they still say is complete. AHS needs a process for the consumer to sign off that it's completed.

For the electrical claim, a guy came out and didn't know what he was doing. He was over his head. He didn't allot enough time to do anything. He checked a few things, didn't fix anything and left then wrote it off as complete. His response was also wrong and inappropriate on how he categorized the job because he just wanted to be done and get paid. I asked, "Have you scheduled to come out again?" He he said it is not something that they handle even though it is.

I want AHS to fix their problems. They should make sure the vendor is very professional and working with the clients within the system. My concern is that they're not getting the highest level because of how their phone process has treated vendors. If they've got certain service providers that are not at the level that they should be, the consumer has to deal with all the mess. My recommendation is, if it's gone on for three months, there should be a way to escalate it so that the consumer can get it escalated to a problem resolution committee.

James,

Are you still in need of assistance?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

I had a pipe that needed to be looked at. It was a little stuck. The plumber who came out was really friendly, nice and professional, and he was wearing a mask. American Home Shield is really convenient. I use them for all of the properties that I own. It’s good to have a one-stop-shop for anything that goes wrong.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

I called American Home Shield for an AC repair. My experience happened quickly and timely. It’s now working great. The contractor got here when they said they would, and they got it done quickly.

Turbo,

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

My oven would heat up and then completely shut off. The tech came the first day after the holidays. He looked at the problem, took the oven out and disposed it. The issue was one of the main boards. He was quick and efficient. It took two weeks to get the parts and then he fixed it. The oven worked fine when it was done.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

American Home Shield sent somebody in here for a furnace repair. The thing was on and off. We don’t know what was really causing the issue. It will be working, and then, all of a sudden, it stops, or it would be on, and we'll be having some smell. I put it off for a while and called American Home Shield. But it was getting too cold, and that day, it was gonna snow as well. We have a three-bedroom house and a basement, and everything is getting filled up. I decided to try to see if it would work. Now, when I put it on, it started working again. But then, it did keep on going. After eight hours, you could see that it was on, but then it didn’t generate as much as it was supposed to.

The tech came the next day and I told him that at that time it was on, it was working. After he came and looked at it, it was like, "We don’t see anything. Just clean some things and let it go." We couldn’t figure out if it was a motor or not. In three days' time, it came back to the same crap. So, I called him again and let him know what is going on. That morning before he could come, I was so freezing. I had to go back and put it on again. It started working. I was like, “What the hell is wrong with this thing?”

The tech came and spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out why it was doing that. When he came, it was on. I was telling him again, “This is the issue.” So, he was not leaving until this thing cut off. Lo and behold, he was testing it, putting it on and off and trying to figure out, checked some wiring and all kinds of things. We couldn’t figure it out. We were here about almost two hours, then this thing cut off, and then he saw what I was experiencing. He said, “Okay. Let’s check something in there.” Then, he looked at the motor inside some round thing in there at the bottom and realized that the motor was smelling, and that is what the smell I was having in the bedroom because it’s coming through the vent.

He said it might be the motor. He was also surprised that it was working fine. Everything he had checked, it didn't seem to be the problem, but then when that thing went off, and then he realized that, “Okay, this is what you’re talking about.” So, he went into his car, brought in a new motor, and removed the one that was there, changed it, he was in front of me, and fixed everything that was supposed to be done. He worked in front of me and checked everything out. Once we put the motor in there and tied everything tight, it started working again, and I have no issue with it or any problem since then. The tech was patient with me. He was very professional and knew what he was doing. I’ve recommended people to American Home Shield, and I know they are also going to be fine.

Michael,

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

The freezer was not working, and I felt like American Home Shield handled my claim in a timely manner. It's a very simple process. It was easier to call. I know that with all the calls that come in due to COVID and all that's going on now, it's probably a little harder with the calls. But for some who are not necessarily computer-savvy, it could possibly be frustrating to have to go online to really get through to a service. I actually tried both ways. When I initially started the service, I was busy. So, I thought, “Okay, if I just tried the phone way, then I can complete this task and do that at the same time.” But that didn't work. Because I was on hold for a long time. I probably would have had the service done days prior because I would have been able to get through quicker when I was first attempting. But as soon as I called, they sent somebody right away. For those I know who don’t have home warranty or any of that, I recommend them all the time.

Celina,