4.3/5 (11699 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: May 25, 2022

We're in our infant stages with American Home Shield and so far, so good. Their service, in terms of the format and the layout, is much better. I was with another company and I switched. When American Home Shield bombarded me with six or seven emails, I called in and asked what it was. They said it was a free service they offer to premier customers to have their contractor come out and do a check of my system. They usually do a fall and spring check on the system.

The contractor they sent out was great. My only negative comment would be the fact that they couldn't pinpoint when the tech was going to be there. I was told it was going to be a four-hour window. I understand that service providers default to the four-hour window because they don't want you to call them every 10 minutes. If they say they're going to be at one o'clock and it's 1:15, the old people are going to be on the phone hounding them. But if they can provide a shorter window, that would be beneficial because I'm waiting for them.

Matt,

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. I do apologize for any inconvenience. Have an amazing week.

Original review: May 25, 2022

The customer service is good. I had a plumbing issue they gave me multiple offers. One is that I can buy whichever water heater I wanted. They also said they could send people to fix things. So, they sent the contractor and he installed the water heater.

Gopi,
    Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: May 25, 2022

Transitioning from heat for the first time for summer over to AC, my unit made a noise I hadn't heard before. I called American Home Shield and the guy that came out was a little flustered, but not disrespectful. He said that it was okay, but I probably would need to get it repaired soon. The other day I heard the noise, but it wasn't as bad as it was and the air is still coming out.

I've only called about my AC, and it was done in a quick and timely manner. The last time, I was asking questions because I wanted to understand what something meant as opposed to someone just coming out because if I don't have the language to understand what's going on my AC, I can't better articulate if something goes wrong again.

Deborah,
    Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed.

Take Care.

Original review: May 25, 2022

The last time that I called American Home Shield was for a leak in a bathroom. Then I called the company that was recommended, Mister Plumber, and they said I had to be more specific about the leak. So they sent the guy over. I paid $75 for it, and said, “I need somebody to tell me where the leak is, if it's coming from a ceiling or something. I don't know if it's coming from faucets.” He called and they told me faucets are not covered. Then he did tell me that there was a leak in the bathroom in one of the toilets. But he also gave me a quote of how much it was to do everything.

I called American Home Shield back, and they assigned the same company again. I paid another $75. I didn't like the way that turned out. I paid the guy myself $89 to come out and see whatever they can do. I got American Home Shield to come out and fix the leak. The same company fixed it. But I paid too much money trying to find out if it was a mistake. I went through a little bit of jumping through many hoops. But everything's okay now.

American Home Shield is expensive. I’m paying 60 a month. It used to be $50 for a service charge but now, it's 75. But I've been happy when it's worked. It's just that sometimes you got to go through a lot of red tape, especially if it’s something very expensive. We wanted a cash out with the problem last time. But the cash out was half of whatever it would have cost.

American Home Shield sent out a company that said I had to pay them $850 to bring everything up to code. But six months before it, something else happened and I paid that much for up to code. They said every time they came out, they had to make sure things were up to code. I got somebody to put it up, make sure it was up to code, and then I called back. It took so much time, and it was freezing and we had no heat.

Years ago, the girl in the problem-solving section told me that she remembered my case because she got promoted. So she kind of knew what I was talking about. She gave me the next time free because there was a mix-up, and they messed up something. They said, “The next time you have anything, remind us that you have a credit.” So I did and they used it. American Home Shield has helped me with other things. But the main reason in the back of my mind is the expense of a central air system and heat that I might end up having to pay, which I don't have the money for.

Original review: May 24, 2022

The website was easy to use when I did a claim for a leaking water heater. I was contacted by Heros Plumbing to set up an appointment. The only issue I had was I wasn't contacted a second time by AHS regarding what was going to be my out-of-pocket for getting everything up to code. I was told the day of installation by Heros. They replaced my water heater and had the plumbing up to the new code.

American Home Shield response

We are grateful for the time that you've taken to share you AHS experience. Please let us know if you need any assistance in regards to your warranty. Have a great week.

Original review: May 24, 2022

We set up one appointment, and the first technician broke down. I canceled that 'cause of my schedule, and we had to wait another week. After that, finally, another technician from Hornet showed up. He was there 20 minutes and checked, but it was just excuses about why they could not do what they were supposed to do. My refrigerator is not properly making ice, so the technician said there are several things that have to be fixed. However, he can't fix them because he can't figure out which model that particular refrigerator is, therefore, it's unfixable. The refrigerator's been in and out for almost three weeks, and no one has followed up. The only one I've ever spoken to is the call center, and they try their best to help.

I spoke to the call center last week and told them what the technician told me figuring that someone would follow up and tell me, "Hey, we're gonna be able to replace your refrigerator," or "We're gonna be able to fix it and we'd like to do it as quickly as possible." No one has done so and this was a horrible start for American Home Shield's first month on me. Let alone if something serious broke in my home and it was freezing outside and my heater went out, how long would I have to wait? The whole purpose of having a home warranty was for me to have convenience, and instead, it's been excuses and no answers. I work for a major company called Mercedes-Benz, and I can't do that on a customer's car, because that's what they drive. Follow-up is very important. This really irks at me because it's unacceptable. If it's a vendor problem, American Home Shield should get a new vendor.

Today, I haven't had the time to sit down and waste another hour talking to a call center. It's horrible that they have to do that. They should have someone who works for the company answering our calls, like we do at Mercedes-Benz. We're a bigger company than they are, and we're able to manage to do that and try to exceed the customer's expectations. That's not happening with American Home Shield. My thought today was I'm gonna call and cancel my services.

They're not providing great service, unless somebody calls me today and tells me, "Hey, we're gonna replace your refrigerator, find out what the costs involved are." American Home Shield should give me a process that I need to follow, so I can get my refrigerator either repaired or replaced. It's really that simple, and it hasn't come down to that. It's all been, "We'll get back with you next week. We'll call you tomorrow." Meanwhile, my refrigerator's sitting there with my food in it, and no one really cares, because they don't live in my home. I do. I'm being held at bay, because it's my freezer, and I need an answer. Either they're gonna fix it or not, and if they're not gonna repair or replace it, they should refund me my home warranty so I can get a company that will do what I need to do when I need it done.

American Home Shield should be more in touch with the client as well. At Mercedes-Benz, we get an email survey on our clients within five days of them buying a car. Good or bad, the reality comes out. AHS should do the same. If they were to send me a survey three days after I got someone appointed to come to my house, they would know by now that I'm an unhappy customer and try to fix it, but they have not done so. It's unsatisfactory when it comes to their services.

American Home Shield response

I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused. My name is Stacy and I will contact you about your ongoing concerns.

Original review: May 24, 2022

The customer service quality is good, so far. Every time I've had a problem, American Home Shield took care of it right away. Most of my problems have been my refrigerator, washer, and dryer, and my ceiling fans went out once already. Also, I recently requested service for the toilet, and everything went great.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I had a plumbing problem and there was leakage underneath the stool. I contacted Home Shield by phone and it was all automated. Then, American Mechanical sent me an email and everything went very smoothly.

Original review: May 24, 2022

American Home Shield's service is great. The air conditioning unit motor went out and a gentleman got here, diagnosed the issue right away and replaced it. Everything was done.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I bought a house last year and one of the light sections quit working. The technician that came out was very nice. He explained it was a bad dimmer switch and explained that American Home Shield doesn't cover around dimmer switches. I'd just upgrade then he could fix it. But he had taken the dimmer switch off and I told him it was fine to go ahead and fix the light and he did. The tech was very nice and very professional. I wish AHS could have taken care of the dimmer switch, but it's not a deal-breaker. I'm happy my light is working.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I went to the website to submit the claim for my leaking faucet. The contractor responded in 24 hours, which was fine. Everything’s great now. But some of the contractors don't respond or they don't show up. Sometimes American Home Shield forces you to stay with them until they can't contact them. Then once they can't contact them, then they'll switch the contractor. If you ask to switch the contractor, they'll keep the same contractor. But once you have an issue with a contractor, you should be able to switch contractors if they’re not responding.

Original review: May 24, 2022

The AC was not working properly and it doesn't cold. Normally, someone comes every year and checks it. This time, it's not cooling anymore so someone has to look into it. The first tech that came said they cannot do the job because they did not get the correct instructions. He took a picture and forwarded it to American Home Shield so that another person could come. They should have sent the right people the second time. I spent all day waiting for the second service people. They came in, looked at the issue and said they couldn't do it either. I had to wait for another one. A third appointment was made and these people were very difficult to meet. I was waiting and they couldn't make it. I wasted three days and so far, nothing has happened. I had a very bad experience. I'm still waiting for the right people to come.

I have another house and I canceled that home warranty because service people don't come on time. They tell me it's going to be three or four days when that other house needs urgent work on the same day or the next day. I end up buying a new stuff myself. I didn't find the warranty to be useful. For American Home Shield, they are okay so far with the exception of this experience. I'm satisfied.

Original review: May 24, 2022

My refrigerator and freezer quit working and American Home Shield sent a technician out. Four days later, they sent the parts to my house and the tech installed them. Almost three years ago, I had a claim on a water heater and AHS did a fine job but the installer was lacking a little bit. He left some things undone that I had to go back and go over. But all in all, it wasn’t American Home Shield, it was him.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I used the app of AHS when I submitted a claim and it was easy to use. Our air conditioner was not blowing any air at all. The techs put Freon and plugged the leak in the air conditioner.

Original review: May 24, 2022

We rarely use American Home Shield but we've had about four incidents within the last two years and they've been wonderful. There was one time when the contractor didn't call me and I called AHS back and they canceled him and got me another one that same day. It was really good. The digital panel on my double oven went out. We didn't know what was wrong with it until after somebody fixed it. I called him on FaceTime so he could order the part to look at my stove. He came out two days later, replaced the part, and I've been in business since. We also had a leak upstairs. I did the claim online. Somebody came out and fixed it. Home Shield calls and follows up.

Then, we had a big issue. We had water coming from a pipe in the laundry room in the basement and we called them and found out it was internal and external of the house-type problem. Fortunately, we had Homeserve also. So, they worked together and they came out at the same time and they took care of everything. I went without water for nine days, though. I have two properties. So, we have two accounts with Home Shield and we've also used the one in Ohio and I'm in Maryland, which is seven hours away. That's a family property that we own and they've been wonderful out there. The AC went out, and they were out there too.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I did the claim on Friday and the techs came out on Monday. They took care of everything.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Our garbage disposal stopped working so we put in a claim. We did American Home Shield's process online and in a day or two, a contractor called to schedule an appointment. They didn't have the part and they had to get a whole replacement piece. Their tech came back a second time and installed a new garbage disposal.

Aside from that, we had previous repairs with American Home Shield. A year ago, I had my HVAC system break down and there was some confusion about the whole process. But in the end, it was fixed. There are also some things that aren't covered for various reasons. If you don't read all of the fine print, you may find that things aren't covered. The sump pump broke in my house that they said was not covered because of the way it was hooked up.

It would be better if American Home Shield did a better evaluation process early on when you sign up to tell you exactly what is and what is not covered so that you have a better idea of what your coverage is. That way, you don't have to guess by reading every little tiny detail in the contract. When you ask them over the phone, it’s very general. It would be more transparent if you knew ahead of time. On the whole, the monthly fee of American Home Shield is a little expensive but it's worthwhile if you have appliances that are aging and could potentially break or need to be replaced.

Original review: May 24, 2022

We've been fine with AHS. We've used them quite often. Everything also went well with Appliance Solutions. I had a claim with my dishwasher and my washing machine. The buttons were broken. Th techs did virtual first so they knew what parts to order. When they came out, they repaired it. The tech didn't have a tool at the time to repair the washing machine, so they came back the next week and did that.

Original review: May 24, 2022

American Home Shield took care of the issue speedily when one of the breakers on my electrical panel was constantly tripping and a light switch in the master bedroom was malfunctioning. The person that tried to get that organized was very good. When I got through SJDI Electric, they moved up the appointment and tried to facilitate me at my time to get the job done. They were very helpful. Overall, it was a pristine service both from American Home Shield and the vendor that did the repairs.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I called American Home Shield for a claim and then two days later, the tech came and fixed the issue. He was nice enough too. The thing with American Home Shield is that they're not directly responsible for the repair, but they reroute to their subcontractors. So the service depends on the type of subcontractor you get. Sometimes, they won't be so nice. But most of the time, they've been nice. When I have a claim, I go online and it's pretty easy to use. It's pretty detailed and straightforward.

Original review: May 24, 2022

The computer blew up in my panel for the oven. I called American Home Shield and the wait time was a little bit excessive. That could be improved by the company. Other than that, someone came out in just a few days and everything was good.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I like the ease of use of having the warranty. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about scheduling a service myself. I just put in the claim then I get a call from someone that's going to come and fix the issue. Someone came out for the ice maker of my refrigerator and was good. My experience with American Home Shield has been excellent. They really mean what they say when they advertise that you don't have to worry about things and just call them. What the commercial states is the experience I had.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 24, 2022

American Home Shield told me that they were going to replace my hot water heater. But now, when I called American Home Shield, they said that we got to pay something with the inspection and permit that we got to have in order for them to replace the heater. When I had American Home Shield before, I never had that issue, where we had to have a permit just to replace a hot water heater. But they said that the contract has something new now, that you got to do that day unless you upgrade your contract to what they have now, and then it will cover that. They should have reached out to us whenever they had that upgrade and I want to upgrade it because I did have the highest upgrade until whatever changes were made. But overall, I like American Home Shield because they pretty much stand behind the product.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you sharing your home warranty experience. I apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you. My name is Stacy and I will email you shortly as I would like to speak to you more about your concerns.

Original review: May 24, 2022

The pipe underneath the bathroom sink was leaking. No matter how many different things I tried from Home Depot, it kept leaking. So, I called American Home Shield, and Shawn came out. He fixed it. Then 10 minutes after he left, it started leaking again. That was a Friday. We called back on a Monday. They put Shawn on a different job up in New York. So, they had another guy come out. I kept messing with it and it finally stopped leaking. I called off the next appointment. A couple of days later, it started leaking again. Now, we have a new appointment and the guy is coming out tomorrow between 2:00 and 6:00.

Submitting a claim to AHS is fairly easy. The contractors are good. The only problem I have with them is when you do have an appointment, it’s not written in stone. Sometimes, they’ll call you back and change the appointment on you. They’ve done that a couple of times. We were supposed to have an appointment this morning between 8:00 and 10:00, but Melissa called us back, about an hour later and she said that appointment has already been taken. "Next appointment I can give you is Friday afternoon, anywhere from 2:00 in the afternoon to 6 o’clock at night." So, that’s the appointment that we have right now.

Original review: May 24, 2022

American Home Shield sent Mid State Plumbing for my toilet. It was all fixed good in good timing. The tech knew exactly what the issue was. Mid State Plumbing came twice. The first time was for plug drains, and I thought the problem was solved. Then after the tech left, I realized that my toilet was running all the time. He came a couple of days later and fixed it. He was very knowledgeable, professional, and friendly.

I spoke to a representative when I did the claim to AHS, I had a very hard time with her. I hate when they get these foreigners that can't speak very good English, and you can't understand. I asked her if I could talk to somebody else, and she would not give me to anyone else. I called back a second time, and I got her again. I said, “Not you again,” and I hung up. I told my daughter, and so she called, figured that if she didn't see the same phone number, maybe we'd get something else. We got a better person when my daughter called them.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I had outlets going out in my house, then more of them started going out. I requested for service and the electrician was out the next morning. It was great. He inspected my breaker box and my outlets. I had a problem with one of my GFCI switches and I had another outlet that wasn't properly installed. He fixed my electrical problems, and he was fantastic.

Original review: May 24, 2022

American Home Shield sent E & A and they tested my heating and ventilation. There was nothing wrong with my system. I was just trying to get what was free at the time because I've been missing a lot on American Home Shield because I've been so busy. I submitted the claim online, and then I called up American Home Shield. The girl who answered the phone was the one who scheduled everything. She was okay. The E & A techs were good. They were professionals and they went straight to working. They checked the thermostat right away and then they went out in the back to check the unit. They cleaned the unit, too. The only thing is I've asked for my contract several times, and they've been telling me they will mail it. I've spoken to over half a dozen representatives of AHS, and each person would promise me that they will send it to me by mail and I would be receiving it in 7 to 10 business days. I have not received anything.

Original review: May 23, 2022

I signed up with American Home Shield back in December because our home is almost 20 years old and I was gonna need more maintenance and repair of things. When I have a claim, I go online and submit one. They ask me what services I might be needing and I get a response right away on who will be coming out.

Pipe Down was the contractor we had when we saw water stains on our ceiling. It turned out there was a little crack on the PVC line from the water heater that goes into the house. Pipe Down was prompt. As soon as you file a claim, there's a 24-hour window when they can come. They usually come the next day. pipe Down was very professional and good at explaining what they were doing and why. One benefit of having a home warranty is you're gonna get reliable contractors that can get the job done and it's a fair price. American Home Shield is a company with great customer service and a really good database of contractors.

Original review: May 23, 2022

The service of AHS has really been great. We would recommend that everyone have this service. We've used it a couple of times. We got our ice maker and our microwave done. Recently, something inside the AC units gave out. The techs came out within a week. They fixed one and they said, “There wasn't for two, it's for one.” They said it was electrical. But then we had an electrician come out, and then the electrician said, “No, it's not for an electrician.” They came out again and fixed the second unit. Everything is working fine right now.

Original review: May 23, 2022

The outside unit wasn’t coming on and A-US Air Conditioning did a good job. The tech told me what was wrong, fixed it and told me what he did. It was the fan motor and it was the second time it was replaced this year.

American Home Shield Company Information