1.23/5
Based on 117 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

147 Aetna Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I never received my recertification paperwork. They then stopped my payments for 3 months. Once I submitted them they took 8 years to reimburse me and threatened to do it again! I had to wait for my case worker to retire before my claim was acknowledged! Once they did acknowledge it I was told to get over it!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This is THE WORST disability company I have ever dealt with! I’ve have child birthing experiences less painful than this! I went to my HR department after dealing severe depression and anxiety for almost a year. What we were doing wasn’t getting any better, so HR said take FMLA/STD and get better. It was easier for them if I took a few weeks and got better, than to have to have to restaff. I applied for leave 3 weeks in advance. Started leave on December 17, 2018 only to be contacted by Aetna on December 19, 2018 to be told I needed doctor's paperwork. I was sent paperwork on December 22. The following few days, I had both doctors fill out the requested paperwork. Aetna lost the PCPs twice, then said he never sent it in. (Even though there are faxed records AND I submitted through their portal.)

Second doctor sends in paperwork, Aetna says they need more information to answer their questions. He provides a clearly written paragraph answering their questions. Aetna comes back and says this still doesn’t answer the questions. I called them and asked what the questions were. They were three very basic questions that I got the answers to and submitted through the portal. This took me from December 22, 2018 to January 3, 2019 (which I thought was a very reasonable time considering the doctors were closed a few days for holidays).

Each time I sent paperwork, Aetna calls me with more questions. On January 4, the call again and ask the same questions again. They get the same answers again. January 9, they call and tell me they are making a determination. January 10, 2019 - they deny STD/FMLA due to “insufficient information and lack of response.” Stated I did not qualify for being “total disabled” which I never said I was anyway. Then AFTER STD is denied, they tell me that I’m not eligible for FMLA due to this lack of information - at which time I’ve already been off 4 weeks... So technically I could be terminated due to excessive absences. (I took the lesser of two evils and resigned on my own, that way I left of my own accord and not terminated.)

I applied for these leaves because my HR department told me to do so, and Aetna said there was no reason for me to have these. Just because two doctors certified it apparently isn’t reason enough. Let alone the fact that our HR department AGREED WITH THE MEDICAL PROVIDERS. I will NEVER EVER apply for ANY insurance with Aetna on my own, nor will I EVER use ANY leaves if Aetna is the provider. If you are considering paying for Aetna, think twice as they aren’t worth it at all. I deal professionally with rules/regs/risks all day every day, and I still have yet to understand how Aetna operates - they are the biggest risk out there... STAY FAR, FAR AWAY.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I developed [uber-painful] kidney stones last November and was off from work for 1.5 weeks. My company's policy is that if you are out for more than four days, you must apply for short-term disability. I was given a deadline of 11/14 to get what Aetna calls 'medication documentation' for my claim from my PCP... and was never informed that I was supposed to see my PCP before returning to work. They denied my initial claim based on that. Upon appealing Aetna's denial, by providing Emergency Room documentation and the necessary paperwork provide by Aetna to my PCP, I was informed that the appeal was never filed and that it would not have mattered, because they do not consider an E.R. physician's documentation being equal to a PCP. Upon denial of my appeal, I was terminated from my job due to 'excessive absenteeism'.

It seems incredibly unfair/unprofessional to take advantage of hardworking people who happen to fall ill but must depend on their income and benefits (which I also lost now that I'm without employment). All it would have taken is genuine concern enough for their agent's position to make sure I had a clear understanding of policies, procedures and expected timeframe, for this not to have been an issue and ending so badly for me!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Where do I start... I was out on LOA in 2018 but was returned to work. I went back out in August of 2018. I was denied twice to get my long term disability reopened. I had to submit a request an appeal. It took longer than 45 days so I was thinking I would be getting back pay, but received a call the day after Christmas telling me it was still denied. I haven’t received any form of income since August. Can someone please refer me to an excellent attorney in Georgia. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I had short term and long term from my employer through Aetna. No Federal or State taxes have been taken out even with multiple W4. I emailed multiple times, resubmitted multiple W4 and argued with the claims manager about needing to take State taxes out. They read a script, they do not know the laws, and the laws are not programmed into the computer script. If you question or complain, then they ignore request for callback, or help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I worked for the Home Depot for over 20 years, went out on short-term disability. They rejected my claim for months, had to return to work still in pain. To make a long story short I spoke to my District HR. She told me she would call over to her counterpart at Aetna and get me paid even though they are not allowed to talk to each other. I got a check right away. This makes me sick, why does Aetna have the right to destroy people's lives, the law needs to change to protect employees that are paying for this insurance while Home Depot and Aetna get away with fraud.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My Ankylosing spondylitis flared up and caused inability to walk and severe pain for several months. Followed by several months of therapy and recovery. Aetna Short term disability was helpful and paid the full amount for short term disability. I had to wait for many weeks for this though. My doctors received multiple requests for the same information and had a lot of trouble getting the information sent via fax to Aetna because Aetna's systems wouldn't accept incoming faxes well. My doctors would sometimes not receive paperwork Aetna said they had sent them. I was on the phone often making sure people had received the necessary paperwork because it would often times not show up as expected.

All the people I spoke with at Aetna were kind and able to tell me what was still needed and why. The website on the other hand, speaking as a software engineer, is poorly constructed. Information that is supposed to be available is not to be found at **. The site doesn't show what documents have been received, only that "a document" has been received on some date. Also it is not clear when Aetna is requesting information from you the claimant. After completing questionnaires online the website shows the questionnaires are still needed.

My short term claim was followed by a Long term disability claim that was finally approved after the same extensive review, duplicate document requests and many phone calls to check that paperwork was received. Overall my experience was good. If I was more desperate for the payout it would have been more frustrating as the Std claim was filed mid Sept. and finally approved mid Nov. My Ltd claim was initiated directly after in Nov. and paid out mid Dec. My doctors and I were always prompt with providing all forms and documents.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had a Stroke on 8/21 and went on Medical leave (FMLA) from my workplace. You would not believe, what you have to go through with this Insurance Co. to receive what you are entitled to. Many forms you have to supply then Doctors. Even though I've been written out of work until December, they have cut me off 2x and, I have to jump hoops with them to get recertified AGAIN! Very rude people indeed and the worst I have ever had to deal with in my life especially with condition I'm in and all the different tests I am still undergoing. They need to be put out of the disability from work business part of their Company! I will probably end up hiring an attorney to get through all of this with them. Ridiculous!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I went out of work because of a herniated disc this year. I have been fighting with them every step of the way. Paperwork is always incorrect no matter how many times I have doctor's fill them out. Same paperwork for the same thing over and over and over again. I had to file a grievance with them and had to call insurance attorney and local news channel just to get my benefits. Had to threaten to Sue them to get any results. My claim manager was very rude and nasty to me. My phone calls to Atty. and BBB. And insurance commission put him in his place. Service still sucks but now I'm getting paid this month. Now I have to be recertified for the next month. Here we go again. Good luck people who are dealing with this problem. CALL and complain. Threaten to go to Atty. if you have to. That is the only way to deal with this company.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I broke my leg. Between my doctor and myself, all requested documents were sent. They approved until date was 3 weeks short of what my doctor said. I called repeatedly to figure out why. I kept being told the Dr needed to update the date. No matter how many times I said, the date is not what the doctor said, and they need to check their paperwork. My doctor ended up extending the date, and sent it in. 9 days later my coverage ended. I called again, and asked why it ended when the doctor, sent the extension. I was told they never got the original doctor notes. I asked why no one requested those, and was transferred to my case worker, who never answers the phone, which is why I just call the main number.

Once again, no answer. So, the case manager from my doctor's office called. They told her they did request it. She said it is electronic, and no request was ever sent, and they can't send information, they don't know is needed. The CSR told my Dr "well, we were going to request it today." I ended up calling and speaking to a supervisor. Who read through my file and saw how many times I called and doesn't understand why the request was never made. He said my date was auto calculated to the minimum, due to not having all the information. Only after that, was the request sent to my Dr. But I did not receive a payment on time. And my calculated percentage was not correct, since they did it as the minimum. So, I never received the full amount I was supposed to, and was canceled, early because my case worker, never requested the information, and never explained why, even though I called 2-3 a week about it.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Worst company I have ever had the displeasure to work with. Expect to be kicked off every 2 years no matter what your doctors say. They have no concern when it comes to kicking disabled people when they are done. They act in bad faith and should be shut down. They are not your friends and more money hungry than a corrupt politician. Don't be surprised when you hit the 2 or 4 or even 6 year make of disability that they will literally laugh at you over the phone while they are telling you they once again cut off your only means of support. Despicable people and company.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Screw your credit score... They don't have knowledge if you legally be paid for short-term disability and send you a huge check. Afterwards they compromise your situation then say, "Nope, return the money." If you ever take a little time to arrange to make a payment or so, then it is sent to collection already. Be careful handling situation with them like cashing their check until it is approved by them. Really you have to be confident enough. The coworkers are rude on the phone.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Broke my hand on April 1st 2018. Went on STML on April 5th 2018. Aetna allegedly cut my first check on April 20th 2018. Aetna allegedly sent out that check on April 25th 2018. It never made it. Yet, they claim it was sent. It only takes 2 days for mail to get from Kentucky to Chicago. Apparently, they're walking it to my house. It's been 8 days now. I haven't worked in 4 weeks. My bank account is overdrawn, I'm facing eviction and I haven't eaten in 2 days. But, Aetna's only solution is to just cut another check and send it. Thanks for screwing me, my company and all these other people over. God bless America?

Original review: April 27, 2018

Recently I had a full left knee replacement in Jan and I'm still waiting for my disability check. It's now April 25th and although their monthly payment came out of payroll every week, still nothing. I have called them many times only to be ignored by the claim handler. I have left many messages to have a return call, although none was ever received. The initial paperwork from my surgeon’s office stated that I would be out until the end of April, but Aetna closed my claim anyway. They had too many excuses, i.e. needed further updates, Doctors office faxed empty forms back, wrong dates on paperwork etc. This is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Do not waste your money or time if you're buying a private policy. The only reason I gave it one star was because I could not go any lower.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I am a USAF Veteran who has been employed with Engility Corporation since November 2015 and have been paying for Short and Long Term Disability through AETNA. As of October 18, 2017, I have been medically diagnosed with severe depression triggered by an incident at work, and have been unable to work as a result. My psychiatrist recommended that I seek short term disability, and an immediate claim was filed. My psychiatrist stated that I would be unable to return to work for an unspecified amount of time given the severity of my condition and required courses of treatment.

On November 06, 2017, I received treatment at the Partial Psychiatric Hospitalization Program at the Baltimore Washington Medical Facility from November 06 – November 22, 2017. After waiting for approximately a month for a response to my claim with Aetna, I received an updated notification from my H/R representative that my claim for Short Term Disability had been approved for the period October 19, 2017 – December 04, 2017. To request an extension beyond December 04, 2017 required that I contact both Aetna and my doctor to ensure that the necessary medical documentation was provided in support of an extension. I immediately contacted Aetna to inquire as to why I wasn’t notified directly as to the status update of my claim, and why was the expiration date of December 04, 2017 selected despite my doctor’s insistence that I was unable to return to work for an indefinite period of time.

Aetna responded by stating that “just because the doctor recommends a date doesn’t mean that Aetna agrees.” I inquired as to the medical qualifications of Aetna staff to apparently re-diagnose my condition without having any first-hand knowledge as to the severity of my medical condition. I was instructed to obtain additional medical documentation from my doctor in support of an extension, however was informed that there would not be a guarantee of an approval for an extension. The arduous process of processing my claim with Aetna has only exasperated my condition, coupled with the fact that I have no money coming in and am a single mother of four children. I have demonstrated to Aetna with due diligence, the validity and severity of my medical condition, yet my repeated attempts for support from Aetna are being denied.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

This company receives medical advice but drags their feet and denies claims for inaccurate reasons, my disability was confirmed twice by them and then by outside doctors but they still did not pay my benefits. Thirdly, I my disability was confirmed by Social Security and they still want to deny paying my claims. Do not deal with this company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Where do I start? WEBSITE DOES NOT WORK www.aetnadisability.com. Been trying for days. Customer service did not know that their website was down, she also said that I did not report the FMLA when I did have a confirmation number. She was totally confuse what I was saying. I was speaking very clearly and in English but confuse. Then she said she was going to send me a confirmation to my e-mail to my employer which they did. I not a total mess. Still waiting with no response to an e-mail since last week for someone to contact me. Still waiting.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Aetna is the worst insurance company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. I was removed from work for FMLA reasons under short term disability. The stress and hassle that this crap company has caused me has in fact worsened my condition. They send forms, they receive finished forms back. They then proceed to send out the same exact forms again, threatening to deny the claim if they don't get them back. I call to resolve the issue, nobody returns any phone calls. This company is merely a money pit with no intent on honoring the product that they sold.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I paid into my short-term disability, I took a leave of absence under the FMLA leave act for a addiction problem, my leave of absence was approved not only by my company and my primary care physician who wrote me a leave of absence status report so I can enroll an addiction treatment program (which I did). Aetna claim department said they wasn't getting the information from Kaiser claim department informing them why I need to be out on disability. Aetna requested x-rays and I haven't taking x-rays in over 20 years. I signed a medical release form to Aetna to receive my medical records from the medical release of information from my provider Kaiser for them to have access to my medical records yet Aetna was requesting things from me that I haven't done in over 20 years like x-rays.

That was the first reason why I got denied, finally my SDI kicked in. Aetna continue to deny me, because of that the denial my company I work for drop me from medical insurance (which is against the law being on FMLA) causing me to lose my dr, my addiction treatment classes and also my SDI benefits leaving me no medication for my diabetes. I had to apply for Social Service and family got accepted for Medical. To this day I still been out on disability however never received any assistance from Aetna.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I elected to enroll (Aetna,) moment like this, I was hoping, Aetna would be able to help me financially. Been out from work stressed related issues, and my ongoing experience with Aetna is adding more stress to my daily living. Funny, how they are so quick collecting my payment every payday. But when I am requesting for my claim now, Aetna's paperwork is so ridiculous. A never-ending notification and alerts. Am I being tested, and being played around. "Who would give up first"??? All paperwork were submitted, but they kept asking for more! I think, I rather stand outside the street with a pushcart with oranges and start selling.

What is due me, is being delayed by Aetna. I bet, down the road, my claim would be denied. Yeah. A double wambam stress. Wondering how their high ranking officials sleep at night? Knowing consumer like me is struggling each day, I am a woman of God. I pray, something GOOD will happen. I will keep on PUSHING. PUSH. PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPEN. What a tangled web we weave.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have breast cancer stage 3. Work for University of Penn for 20 years. Paid for long term care during my breast cancer. They closed my claim 3 times. I wish someone could help me. Why would anyone do this to a cancer patient especially when I tried working during chemo. Couldn't do it. I lost everything during cancer. Now they refuse to pay me for 4 months. I need meds and bills paid. What to do????

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I am out of work for major depression and anxiety caused by years of abuse and recent tragedies, which Aetna is only making worse instead of being supportive. Obviously, Aetna does not want me returning to work anytime soon otherwise they would be more supportive. Paperwork is either never received or not correctly filled out. Making my claim either denied or payments tremendously late causing insignificant stress. My first 4 weeks with my therapist have been dealing with Aetna instead of working on therapy. I started getting better once we were able to work on therapy, but then it just started all over again when my claim needed to be recertified. I have reps from Aetna leaving messages but when I return calls, they do not return my call. Their online portal sucks. You do not know if you are coming or going when trying to work with Aetna.

My therapists has says he has never experienced such a mess of paperwork and lack of communication physically with any other company other than Aetna. You have an alert online where you can submit paperwork directly to your doctor but nowhere to check off what form to send, so then you assume the email was sent with the required form as it gives you an option to send to doctor, then there is another tab under letters that have forms, this comes up where you can forward the form to your doctor but this comes up where it is being sent out of your own mailbox. So now I am not sure if this form is for me to fill out or the same thing that may have been already sent.

To top it off, once you get out of the portal and go back in, the alerts reappear so then you think maybe it was not sent correctly but once you click on the link, it says that a request has been already sent. I would like to know who is going to cover all my bank surcharges and remove any negative impacts on my credit due to receiving payments very late. I normally get paid every two weeks, but right now they are over a month late. Let me try explaining that to my bank and mortgage company, and see how well that goes over.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I had to have a CAT scan without contrast at a local hospital. The test was around $1850. I found out that if I used my insurance Aetna that I would have to pay $956. If I was self-pay and did not use insurance it was $445. I thought the purpose of insurance was to save you money. My premiums are almost 900 a month and a $5,000 deductible and it's cheaper not to use it. Why is insurance so messed up?

Original review: June 23, 2017

I became disabled in Sept 2014 following a failed neck fusion that left me with MRSA in the bone of the neck 4 days after surgery. With this horrible infection came a PICC line for 13 weeks followed by numerous home health visits at the good ole age of 37... Who at this age wants to be completely disabled?? I can think of nobody. However, I went on STD with Aetna, filed the paperwork, had an amazing team of dr's trying to keep my infections down etc.. Following the removal of the PICC line, I tried returning to work, only to learn that the superior plate in the neck fusion had failed and is permanently broke in half, and because of the infection I am unable to have it redone, due to the risk of infections. I have been a aircraft mechanic my entire career, 17 years, and I know no other profession.

My second visit to a new pain management dr, he did spinal injections to try and reduce the swelling in the neck, this only lead to him hitting my spinal chord in 3 places leaving me with permanent paralysis on the left side with limited feeling on the torso/hand/arm. I still to date have no feelings on the left side, but yet Aetna says I am able to return to work no problem. I still have MRSA and in the past 3 years have been hospitalized for it, 6 times requiring long stays with IV medication.

How is it that just because one person at Aetna says you are able to work, they tell you to return to work?? When MY physician has stated time and time again that I am 100% disabled?? I take a chance daily by getting in the car to become paralyzed from the waist down should I wreck and the broken plate severs the spinal chord. I am darn sure not going to build airplanes when I do not even have full range of motion nor can I move my neck up and down. I have a child to support and even though the case worker agreed that I could not go back to work, they tried sending me back anyway... AETNA NEEDS NEW PEOPLE, WITH COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING... I have worked my entire life, been a single mother since my kids were small, and didn't ask for handouts. But when I am unable to work and no way to get money but on disability they cancel it. NO ONE will return phone calls or nothing. They are ridiculous.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I am having the worst time with Aetna short term disability. I have filed and have given all of the numerous amounts of paperwork that they have required. I was injured at work and the company United Parcel Service has altered the paperwork for the accident to reflect a disability claim and not a workers' compensation claim. I have filed several complaints with the proper authorities over this issue. My employer has instructed me to file for disability and not workers' compensation. I filed but Aetna disability has approved the claim but will not send any checks until I get them a letter from Liberty Mutual United Parcel Services workers' comp carrier. I have requested this letter from my employer and they have continued to refuse to supply the letter of denial. Aetna has informed me that it is the law for my employer to give me the letter and United Parcel continues to not give a damn about the law. I don't know where to go from here. Can anyone help?

Original review: May 1, 2017

I became disabled from my job after a botched orthopedic surgery which resulted in a difficult joint reconstruction surgery and sadly to the development of permanently disabling Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. I received my STD from Aetna without any delays or issues. At around 60 days in, I received a letter from Aetna confirming my transition to LTD. I have just passed the two-year mark where a determination is made whether you are able to work in any occupation rather than just your own, and I was, appropriately, determined to be permanently disabled from working in any occupation.

I read many reviews and experiences from others early in my disability and saw how many problems people were having, and I realized I would need to be very proactive. I did not feel I could rely on the staff of every medical provider I was seeing to get my records to Aetna in a timely manner, if at all. Many of those medical assistants and records people are just snotty. From the very beginning, I took responsibility for collecting every single medical record related to my condition, have them scanned to PDF, and uploaded them to Aetna's online portal, which I found easy to use.

The second thing I did from the beginning was to view my Claim Manager as my ally and built an appropriate relationship with him. There were times I proactively called him with an update after trying a new therapy or interventional procedure. I cooperated with all requests and circled back to make sure he had what he needed. When he prematurely arranged for a return-to-work counselor at Aetna to contact me, I treated her the same and answered every call and every question from her for a few months. I figured she had some input in the disposition of my claim from a different perspective so I was not annoyed by answering the same questions twice.

I asked questions if I didn't understand something about their process. I asked my Claim Manager about his knowledge of my condition and if people he knew had better outcomes than I. When I spoke with him at times that I was in a lot of pain, I let him hear it and didn't hide my crying and frustration that I was not getting better. He was kind, supportive and professional overseeing my claim. He told me the biggest hurdles they have is getting medical records in a timely manner and having the medical condition and course of treatment properly documented.

In addition, he said there are folks who do not follow their doctor's treatment plan which is an issue, and some who doctor-shop to find someone to support their desire for disability. During the first year, I did have a physician treating me who I decided to fire and find someone else because he was not knowledgeable about my condition and was trying to experiment with me. I called my Claim Manager and let him know this in case there was a gap in my treatment records. I hope this information can be helpful to someone else.

Original review: April 14, 2017

I was forced to take short term disability for an accident that left me with 9 broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a broken collarbone. Despite my completing all required paperwork within a week, and my doctors submitting clinical assessments in the second week, Aetna has still not paid a dime on this claim 7 weeks after the injury. Aetna finally did approve the short term disability claim after 5 weeks, and has now taken over 2 weeks to process the payment, that was "approved" today. I am now told it will be a week more to process the direct deposit. So that will be 8 weeks from injury to payment... Two full months without pay. Perhaps they should pay for all of my late fees on my bills, or pay me interest for using my money for 2 months.

To top it all off, Aetna agents have been dismissive, disrespectful, condescending, and rude... And that's when I've been able to get them on the phone. Generally, they ignore my calls, promise to call back, fail to do so. And their online information portal is completely inaccurate and ever changing, showing that my claim is canceled, on hold, suspended, paid, and this cycle continues to change daily. The response I get from the manager of the case working is literally, "Eh, it's our process". Never once did anyone try to help or even apologize or recognize there is a problem.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

Dealing with Aetna disability insurance has been the worst experience ever. My doctor has gone out of his way to keep faxing paperwork but they ignore what he tells them. He has told them he will not release me to work until the 13th of January 2017 but do you think they listen to him. NO. They again send him a return to work request so they can continue to not pay me. They have made the month of December a nightmare for me and very stressful. I am trying to heal from major back surgery where my doctor put rods in my back but they totally ignore what he tells them and make decision of their own without listening to my doctor. I start therapy tomorrow and they have that I should have gone back to work today. How is it legal for them to ignore what the surgeon tells them and make decisions based on what a nurse thinks that has not even meet with me.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

To start I have had STD with Aetna for a year or so from now. I had a baby 6 months ago and it slipped my mind that I had extra coverage on my plan. I go and research how much time I have to file a claim. To my luck it says a year. I proceed to open a claim for the date range that I was on maternity leave, all paperwork is submitted in a timely manner and it is within the year. I get a call from the case manager that is handling my claim and she states there is no payout due to me because the state of NJ provides maternal disability and it is the same amount that they would have given me.

At this point I am a little confused, because to my knowledge I am PAYING a separate insurance for them to help me in my time of need and not determine whether they can help me based on somebody else providing income to me. So I ask them "if you know the state of NJ provides payments for maternity leave then why would you offer maternity disability to your customers in NJ." (they couldn't answer that question) Then I proceed to ask them what do they offer std for if they are determining their decision on whether one get assistance from somewhere else. (they couldn't answer that) I asked them if they are affiliated with the state or government that they can not provide payments if we get assistance from them. (they said no) So my final question was then what am I paying Aetna for? (and they couldn't answer)

This is an insurance SCAM. It doesn't make any sense. When you pay for a specific insurance and you file a legitimate claim they should pay out because that is what you are paying them for. Regardless if you are receiving assistance form anywhere else. It is frustrating and disappointing and would like the amount of money I paid them since they aren't ever gonna be able to help in this matter, because most disability issues are covered by state or workers comp etc. I have separate insurance with Aflac and they pay out as long as you have all the required paperwork to submit. No questions or restriction on whether you received money from somewhere else. You get what you pay for and that is what insurance should work like.

Resolution response: Aug. 23, 2017

I was back paid and benefits continued as normal until my two years where switches to any occupation I was again denied before Dr could send in reports bam my doctors and I were denied extensions that we asked for

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

Started my claim for reinstatement on LTD accident I had at work. Another employee's 1200lbs tool box fell on me giving me severe nerve damage in legs called CRPS. I have them Aetna through work. Long story short, work comp ran out 2yrs and Aetna supposed to take over, also applied social security. They denied me after all documents sent in said didn't have anything. Resent all documents. They then send letter saying they received everything needed and would let me know decision.

1 month later letter stating have not received blah blah blah, this happened for 8 months. I told them they had 2 claims opened on same thing. 1 lady was starting a new claim while 1 person started reinstatement case which is the right one. Would not believe me. Would not let me talk to a manager for 6 months. Finally get a hold of manager and he gets it, they were each taking a few papers and so each only had half required documents, manager calls us and says "Well I'm letting you know good news. We put everything from 2 claims and have enough finally to process claim. The right one." Well tells me I'll be paid on following Monday. I have these phone calls recorded as they record also so I did.

And Monday comes no pay. Another month of them saying Monday, next Monday bills 3 months late about to have my wife, daughter and self on street, no money no food, gonna take both vehicles, endless calls and my condition is 10 times worse because this no sleep, couldn't eat, function or anything, sores growing on legs from condition worsening and they say "Sorry we messed up. This is not your fault. I'm sorry. Tell bills to call and I'll tell them uta are fault." Tried that, waste of time, house says "are they gonna pay us if not we don't care." Pretty much how that went.

So much pain, barely walk now again due to way too much unneeded stress. I'd rather be beating down by 20 people stomping on me than go through the pain of CRPS freaking out more than ever due to them not trying to help and listen when I knew what was going on and tried many times to tell them sent letters, online act. all sudden says unauthorised to send messages, but it's perfectly ok for this Aetna company to do this kinda torture to people and THE system looks away, won't help or do what's right. Well we're gonna back pay, that doesn't fix THE late fees, pain and stress and suffering caused to a 13 yr old child and parents, cause they want to treat you like you're trying to scam. Even at one time said wasn't work related, "You already paid me for 9 months while I was trying to go back to work." Are you serious, but lawyer after lawyer says "sorry it wouldn't be worth it."

I wish Fox news and other big journalists would come here and interview and get this out there so someone or something can stop this cause it's over and over to hard working American people. That pay for ins. Like this also. I know it was by far the worst thing ever happened to me in life as and after the pain of hell I went through I hope I just get better and can go work again. CRPS is in the book the Dr's go by considered the worst pain there is, 2nd was cancer. Take that and multiply it by 10 or 100 doesn't matter times I didn't know what was going on. It hurt so bad like a bucket full of lava and you jump into them with bare feet.

These companies need to be stopped. I'm sure there are scammers they will be stopped when they can't get any provider to say they're disabled, don't need an ins. company you pay for that has not been seeing you every 30 days or less or putting huge needles in your spine without any sedation. Or taking you into surgery to insert a spinal stimulator and a huge battery that's at most is gonna probably give you pain relief, mine now is about at 25% relief or so I guess. Telling you "no we don't believe your Dr. That's ridiculous..." That's my opinion on it what else could it be. Someone or something with the knowledge or power to help us hard working families not have to be bullied or treated so wrongfully. Please help. They have numbers of money but it's been proven time and time again numbers in people will get attention.

Updated on 11/16/2017: So I have still up to now been struggling to catch up with what I still do have that I haven't lost. "So we finally got all documents from both claims into one and finally have everything we need to make a decision so you should be paid soon." One of the bosses of a manager I was told anyway. Yeah they paid and started again until 24 months up. It switches to ANY OCCUPATION which is fine. They're supposed to be there to help injured at work employees. They'll do what's best for the insured person who buys their crap in my opinion ins. No matter what.

So offered vocational therapy where they help you get back to making close to the money you were but doing different work. Great program. As I've from day 1 not wanted to be hurt and lose everything including myself at times, have told everyone caseworkers, claim managers, claim manager bosses that I want to go to work as soon as this Disease CRPS is beat. Also sending facts evidence that financial stress is a lot harder on CRPS patient than the person without it. And it's pretty damn hard on anyone. CRPS is the malfunction of the Nervous system and believe me it's not nice, people look at you different, friends, family, don't understand, they don't have to deal with it, so easy for them to not look into factsheets. There's sites for family and friends to check out, that hope would help anyone out there with CRPS. "The fact; you can do treatments but is not curable."

Then here comes the Physician of Aetna. I will not call him or her a Dr. A Dr is a person with integrity that becomes a Dr. to help people. How can you sign off saying patient has no physical or mental disability just reading papers that Aetna gives them of my claim. So never met, never talked, nothing to me yet 6 doctors from work comp to mine that has been treating me the whole time and SSC I.E.M that says disagrees. But wouldn't wait 2 days. YES 2 DAYS to receive my doctor's notes that disagree with them. Is that doing what's best for the insured. Hell no in my opinion.

I lost my life, everything except truck and house but Dec. 1st if I don't pay 956.00 and 900 to catch truck up were out on street. I've started working at age 12, Taco Bell 2.25 an hour. Worked up to injury date 8/6/14 full time. Was making 44.50 an hr. Family of 3 two beautiful girls and 1 pretty handsome use to be dad me. Lol, I'm not lazy, not nothing but a hard working man get up 4 am go to gym for 1 hr 14 then worth for 8 to 16 with the boys go home sweet good job mine job. Nope they don't care either. You're a # to them. A pile of ** if you get hurt in my opinion how they treat you.

So now it's in god's hands, lawyers, judges, but takes so long and owe Aetna needs extra 45 days. You damn right they're gonna grant it, but 2 days for me with week notice. Nope... I've become angry. Very angry, can't talk to anyone about it without wanting to **. I've tried going to a counselor. Emotional block everyone I try going. I've got to be here for my girls so I fight and fight. I make CRPS worse doing that everything. So I guess do not ever get hurt at work. Pic of sores started on my leg but they don't care.

Aetna Disability Insurance Company Information