Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Aetna Disability Insurance

Aetna Disability Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Aetna Disability Insurance Reviews

Original review: March 11, 2020

I was told I could not apply for maternity leave until 30 days before my due date, which was ridiculous because I had complications and wondered what would happen if I needed to be bedridden due to being high risk. I worked every day for 9 months up until my week of due date. They said they would not pay me for the couple of days I took off before my c section appointment because my title as a supervisor stated I wasn’t doing much lifting. However if you’ve ever worked for UPS, you know it’s a sweat shop in that warehouse and they had my 6 month pregnant self lifting boxes in trailers. The week before my c section I had all my paperwork in order with my dr, everything was sent 5 times to Aetna and yet my case manager JESSICA ** would not return any of my calls or messages and a whole month went by without me getting paid.

I had a newborn with no income coming in for a whole month and on top of that was being readmitted to the hospital for loss of blood after I was discharged to go home with baby. Then when my dr extended my leave for another month, Jessica still did not answer my messages or calls months later and I’ve been calling all week to request a new case manager. They keep putting me back in the queue when I call and are saying, "High call volumes. We will call back and never do. Steve told me I would have to start all over in the queue or could get a call back. Anyways don't use this company. THEY NEED TO SHUT THIS DISASTER OF A COMPANY DOWN. I PAY INSURANCE EVERY WEEK LIKE CLOCKWORK. I WORK HARD FOR MY MONEY.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I was on Ltd after having a knee surgery and injured back, which I later found out that I had inflammatory arthritis in all my major joints. Getting the agents to actually do as they say is like talking to the wall. No forms are sent to the physicians when they say will. I’ve went so far as uploading forms and mailing them directly to them and they will still say they didn’t receive them. My doctors would complete forms and fax them back and provide me with a copy as well as the fax received successfully page. No one communicates the way they should when they have you talking with customer service instead of the person actually handling your claim. At one point my payment was not sent because my agent changed departments and left my claim unsigned meaning no payment. I had to call to find out and then they told me I still had to wait because no one was writing my case.

Soon after my assigned agent started giving me a hard time about my records threatening to end my payments, eventually she did at the end of October 2019, even with all my records. They terminated my claim leaving me with tons of bills to pay. Now I’m getting ready to have another surgery. I suffer with severe bilateral arthritis of the knees, depression, chronic back and neck pain with disc bulging, multilevel cervical spinal stenosis and spondylosis, carpal tunnel syndrome and a torn rotator cuff and was still denied. I also got married and had my name changed. Everyone else was able to change my name with no problem. I even went through my employer. I sent all the necessary paperwork and they still would not change my old name to my legal name.

They stated it had to come from the employer, which it did. I even sent the email correspondence with everything they asked for. Today I received a W2 form and guess what, it still has my maiden name. SMH. Some people just don’t comprehend and apparently the staff at Aetna belongs in that category. The agents and whoever does their reviews need to go back to training to better help understand what they are really there for! Please update your training and protocol because people have those policies to help them in their time of need. What’s the use of having it if you get the run around every month calling to find out why your payment hasn’t come yet. DO BETTER. WORST COMPANY EVER! TOO MUCH RED TAPE!

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

First of all let me say dealing with Aetna on my claim was nothing short of a complete disappointment. I have been through a time in my life that I’ve never been through before. I had some issues going on that put me in a state of depression that I feel lucky I made it out on the other side. I was so depressed I couldn’t even work, eat, drive or honestly bathe. I felt so down I didn’t even care. I was literally hanging on by the love of my family and being a Christian. I seen my Dr who knew immediately something was not right. Even my job told me to take the time off to get my life back to some sort of living. Well the first thing my Dr did was check my testosterone because he said long periods of depression is a sign of low testosterone. Well he was correct.

I had been suffering so long I had a level of 130. A level he had never seen that low on someone that wasn’t suffering with testicular cancer. So my depression was so bad and I had dealt with it so long I know had 2 problems to deal with. He started me on depression medication and taking testosterone shots to try and raise it up so hopefully I could function. I was obviously put on short term disability to try and get all my levels back to normal so I could function again. Finally after weeks of being out of work, taking ** for depression and taking testosterone shots I slowly started to feel more like myself.

Unfortunately the Short Term Disability form submitted only asked about my cognitive problems due to depression. Nothing was mentioned about my testosterone issues that was the major cause of my depression was not something mentioned on Aetna’s form. The form had only to do with the depression I was suffering and not the reason WHY I was dealing with depression. I will continue to have to take shots and report back to work after 4 weeks of suffering only because I couldn’t afford not to go back to work. The main reason for that is because Aetna had determined my depression wasn’t bad enough I guess and I didn’t receive a penny from Aetna on my claim.

I feel it’s my job so not another person has to go back to work sick because Aetna only looked at the cognitive issue. I’m will tell my story to as many people that I can in hopes they are not faced with the fear I have returning to work knowing I’m still walking that tight rope and could go off either way at any point. I have never been treated worse from a company that supposed to be there for you when you are at your worse. I asked that everyone from Aetna read this and know they are sending a man back into this world not much better than he was when the claim was originally filed. I’m still a broken man but have to try and function at a job so I can be paid.

Again my story will be told so no one has to do what I’m having to do to eat, pay my bills, and take care of my family. It’s something I’ll never forget and I think it will end up being something Aetna will never do to another person. Please make sure everyone at Aetna reads this from the boss to the bathroom cleaner. Because of the way I was done, in a lot of ways this is only getting started. Please pray that I will be able to work and keep my job as I continue to battle my problems.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

This company is making myself and my doctor jump through hoops. I have an ADA protected disease and often times I need time to rest I have MS. There may be a day I wake up and I can't move my legs. They are dragging their feet and playing phone tag and trying to do anything necessary to not approve my claim. There is no way for me to prove to them that I can't walk. I don't know what else they want me to do but this is stressful and stress is a major trigger of Ms. This company needs to be shut down.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I had to have two back surgeries, had no issues with the STD. But LTD was a nightmare, starting with their reps that are never in there office. To their mandatory vocational program. Then we get to their policy clause, offset of your income. So I will start in that order. After repeatedly call my caseworker. I learned very quick to document each call. Time, date, and topic, who I spoke with (name, or ID number) some will not give you a I.D # at which time I would end the call and call back. As they have multiple call centers.

Next the vocational rehabilitation. The person I was assigned never returned calls but would on a regular basis send emails as to needing different forms completed. Then you get contracted out to another firm to handle your vocational rehab. (A little history. I've been a merchant mariner for 30 years and all I really know.) They are completely unprepared for this occupation. Needless to say there are no light duty jobs in this field so their VOC team are helpless in my case. The subcontractor did try to help. But it was beyond the caseworker as to what my job duties even were. So I was threatened with denial for noncompliance several time.

(Weekly) You are forced to apply for your social security disability. (Which I did not want to do.) But again the threatened with denial for nonconformity. After 2 years to the date I was told I would be dropped and no longer receive benefits. I appealed and lo and behold I was denied in record time. The fastest thing they done since the start of this. Now fast forward I ended up going all the way to the hearing stage of social security (no surprise there) and was awarded back pay for the time I was out. Now when it really gets to be a nightmare Aetna contracts with a company called Allsup to help you deal with social security. Which is another joke. 1. You fill out all the forms. 2. You attend all the appointments. I'm really not sure what they do other than monitor what you Really do to report it to Aetna.

Either way they (Allsup) or Aetna sells your possible case to a lawyer in blocks of clients. Not sure how many clients to a block. And I assume it's done on a bid basis but again unsure. Just know the lawyer who purchased me told me on the phone he had got my case in block of cases he had purchased. Then explained to me. That at first view of my case. I did not have much of a case. And maybe I should relocate to a different state where my chances were better. (Why would moving make a difference????) And that he would get back to me in a few months after he completely reviewed my case. So I terminated him as my legal representation.

Now at the hearing I represent myself. AND Win. Now I find out that Aetna will be entitled to all my back Social security pay. I can't even collect the legal fees that a lawyer would get as I prepared my own case and did everything a lawyer would have done. Bottom line if you can plan any savings do so and stay away from the people. I would never deal with them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

They never respond to emails. The phone agents are not helpful. Their website is horrible. They are no help at all when you're going through a tough time in life. I am encouraging my company to stop contracting them for our disability insurance plan.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I called the day before my Dr appointment and requested that all forms be faxed to my Dr. At my appointment the Dr sends me to get an MRI on my back. I find out that I have a bulging disk that is causing pressure on my sciatic nerve. The following week I find out nothing was sent to my Dr. so I download and print the forms and take them to my Dr. By the end of the week I upload the forms to Aetna’s website. 4 days later they tell me they need my medical records and any test results but they didn’t fax the request to my Dr. So once again I have to download and print the request and hand deliver it to my Dr., and they inform me that the request will take 15 days for them to look up my records. So now we are into August and all my bills are due but they can’t do anything until they get these records.

I ask why wouldn’t that request be apart of the original paperwork that the Dr signed , because it’s better to have more info than not enough. I was told by a supervisor that they will only request it if needed, 15 days puts me into the middle of August and I don’t believe my apartment complex will wait that long so there is a high possibility that I will be served eviction papers and my car repoed all because Aetna didn’t want to ask for more info than they needed. 3 years ago they paid a claim and didn’t ask for any medical records? So when did the process change? Or are they looking for a way to deny my claim? I’ve paid monthly premiums for the last 15 years and this is how they treat a customer. The supervisor apologized but offered no solution to my dilemma. So what is the purpose of disability (replacement income) if it is not received in a timely manner so bills can be paid.

I have two children in middle school and they cared nothing about keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table. Also, both times they requested paperwork it was on a Friday so nothing was going to be done until the following Monday. A good company would have some kind of professional relationship with the Dr.’s office so you wouldn’t have to wait 15 days! If they really cared about their clients. This will definitely be the last time I have Aetna as my disability insurance.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Had to have surgery in October 2018. I met with HR and had gotten ALL of the paperwork required by Aetna, filled out, signed off on by my physician and turned in. Well before my surgery took place. The day STD was set to kick in was also pay day. Something in my gut told me they wouldn't pay on time and my gut was correct. I battled back/forth for weeks, while they continued to request more and more information. All of which, had already been turned in. They weren't requesting anything new, just different forms, requesting the same information. I had to hound them until a week before my return, just to get paid. Forcing all of my bills to fall behind. Thought I wouldn't have to deal with them ever again. Wrong....

Fast forward to Mid June, 2019. Have to go on STD. Again, it has been issue after issue. They request more and more of the exact same information. Even though they confirmed on several phone calls I made to them, that they had already received. Every call I made was met with "a decision hasn't been reached". Spoke to multiple representatives, escalation managers, claims "specialists", all with the same result, "we are still reviewing". To the point I have been calling every other business day to check. Miraculously, when I call today (one week shy of my return to work date) they approve, but only at 50% of my pay. Absolutely not, insisting they check again. Had I not continued to pursue, I still might not have an answer and been forced to accept less than what I was owed.

After the 4th or 5th "brief hold" the rep got back on the line to tell me that I was correct in 100% of my pay. She tells me I should get my regular paycheck and back pay within 5-7 business day. Again, absolutely not. They've already cost me over $300 in overdraft fees, due to all of my bills being auto draft. I will be contacting an attorney this time around, as I'm not the only one within my my company (thousands of employees) to have met the same issues when going on STD.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I first filled a disability claim back in March. They have filed paperwork to the wrong claim, misleading information and have contacted me in a timely matter. As of now I am still currently battling with them to get retroactive money I am due. Due to their gross incompetence I am now seeking legal consult. If you can stay away from this company or be prepared to have a battle on your hand.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Years ago, I got supplemental long-term care insurance through Aetna. Recently, I got a new debit card and just wanted to make sure there was no interruption to my service with Aetna, and I wasn't sure if their automatic monthly withdrawals from my checking account were done with my checking account number or with my debit card, so I wanted to make sure that they had all the info they needed. I contacted them through their website, but they told me they needed the number on the paper card that they had given me over a decade earlier, which I have long since lost. I gave them every other piece of information that I could. They told me that they had no record of me as a customer.

I contacted them through their website several times (their customer service 800 number is not listed anywhere on their website; the 800 number that is there is not for customer service) and they literally told me every time that they had no record of me as a customer. I even brought up the possibility that maybe there was a different department in Aetna that did have my information, but they never did contact me and acknowledge me as their customer for the last ten years until I instructed my credit union to disallow their automatic monthly withdrawals.

It turns out that they did have my information, because IMMEDIATELY after I did not allow them to keep taking my money directly from my checking account, they somehow miraculously found all my information and they began calling me and sending me things in the mail to try to get me to continue paying them for exactly nothing. They gave me an 800 customer service number to call, which I did, and after navigating through endless menu prompts, I was put on hold for ... well, forever, basically. I gave up on that number.

So, it turns out that apparently there are two different departments, one labeled Long Term Care (for those who need long-term care because they are unable to care for themselves, due to Alzheimer's or some other disability) and Long Term Disability Care. To me that is the same thing. In my emails to them, I had referred to Long Term Disability Care, but apparently I should have called it just Long Term Care. I do not understand how no one at their company could manage to figure out that that's what I was referring to (even when I literally told them that maybe it was a different department within Aetna that would have my information about my having been their customer for over a decade).

I also don't understand why those are two separate departments. If you need Long Term Care, it's because you can no longer care for yourself; you are UNABLE to do it, because you have a disability (mental, physical, or both). It's the same thing. They couldn't figure out their own ridiculous semantics and realize what it was that I was talking about. I have demanded ALL of my money back from them that I have ever paid them, since clearly they never had any intention of paying out any of my claims since they never even acknowledged me as my customer, and they have refused. And why in the world would they not have their customer service 800 number on their website, but would have an 800 number that is NOT for customer service featured on their website?

The customer service reps who emailed me kept referring me back to that paper card they gave me a decade or more earlier, saying that the number I needed to call was on that, even though I kept telling them I no longer had that card, which also apparently had my customer number on it, which I needed to get answers from them via email. I gave them my name, birth date, Social Security number, address, phone number, email, and they still "could not" figure out that I was their customer until I finally stopped paying them, and THAT got their attention.

I will be going to the Better Business Bureau and the FTC about this and keep trying to get back all the money that I ever paid them for exactly nothing. From these other reviews on here, I can only infer that they would never have paid my claims even if I did wind up needing Long Term Care and had contacted the correct department. They seem to not ever want to pay out any claims no matter how valid they are. I am done with Aetna.

Aetna Disability Insurance Company Information