1.22/5

155 Aetna Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

This has to be one of worst companies I have ever had to deal with! They do not return phone calls nor do they post any updates on their website. If you want to be in the dark, consistently talk to a message machine, this is the company for you! What a disappointment!

Original review: April 18, 2019

Well I don’t know where to start. I guess the day I was sent home because of severe back pain. Make a long story short, I applied for short term disability from the day I missed which was December 5th up until February 24!!!! I was denied 3 times and I appealed 3 times. Aetna doesn’t care about their clients. All they care about is getting their monthly payment. I never received STD because they stated it was a pre existing condition which it wasn’t. I feel they were unfair and caused me a lot of stress!!!! Because I haven’t got paid I had to go back to work or I would lose my health insurance. Susan.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I had surgery March 6 2019. My employer pays for this benefit for me. I started the claim before my surgery. First they were blaming my employer for not giving the information. Aetna suspended my claim right away. After my employer send them the information 3 times. Aetna acknowledged they received it. Then they blamed my doctor. My doctor sent it 3 times before Aetna acknowledge. Now every time I call Aetna they always say 5 to 10 days. Then I get a letter from Aetna saying they are waiting for my employer. I go to my employer and they call Aetna who said I would have a answer March 27th. I called. They said I have to wait 5 to 10 days. I told them I was returning to work April 1st. I called April 1st to find out what is going on. They said they were waiting on the doctor to confirm my release. This is April 8th. I called to see if they got it. Aetna tells me they are waiting on the employer to see verify I am eligible.

I tell them they sent you the info 3 times. Aetna sent me a letter which I took to the hr and was in her office when she called you. The lady gave me another number to call. Now it has been over a month; my case is still suspended. Every time I call they put the blame on my employer or the doctor. It is like they don't want to pay. Hoping I will forget about this benefit my employer pays for. I work for manufacturing plant which is owned by a investment group. I am contacting corporate tomorrow and letting them know how this company is treating one of their employees. They own about 20 plants with well over 1000 employees. Also I am thinking about turning Aetna into my state's insurance commission.

Original review: March 7, 2019

The only reason there is one star is because I have to. I never received my W-2, called and asked for a replacement, never received it. I was contacted another Aetna customer who received my reissued W-2. I have tried repeatedly to get ahold of Aetna and continually get the runaround. I am either unable to get ahold of a real person or if I do they pass me on to someone elsewhere I have to leave a message that no one returns. This is a serious breach of consumer trust.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Aetna has been asking for my doctor’s reports. My PCP sent in his records. My PCP told me I needed to see a Therapist for severe Depression and Severe Anxiety/Stress. I started seeing a Therapist on February 9, 2019 and she indicated she needed to see me a few sessions before giving Aetna a diagnosis. I filed my claim on January 28, 2019. I started receiving paperwork and request for doctors medical reports on January 31, 2019. Aetna called every day asking for the same paperwork not giving the doctor nor the Therapist time to get the information/paperwork in.

On February 18, 2019 Aetna stated on the portal my claim was CLOSED. Not sure if that’s a Denial. They stated the reason for Closing the Claim on February 20, 2019 as “Disability Not Supported.” I don’t know what any of this means. I know my PCP and Therapist have not sent in their final medical records. Not sure what to do nor do I know what is going on. This situation with Aetna has increased my level of stress and depression. I’m a senior citizen and I’m unsure of what to do. My job approved me for FMLA based on my PCP’s medical reports. I don’t understand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Unfair practice. I was denied after an appeal. My specialist have stated I am not ready to go back to work for a very long time. Then today I was sent a letter of a final denial as is no exceptions. I then got a email tonight at 8:42 that my claim has been set up. What does that mean? Confused. Aetna is the worst company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have been on an LTD claim since January 2018. Switching over to AETNA for an LTD claim from my work's STD claim was painless and easily approved. However, come Nov. 2018 I got a phone call at night telling me my claim was immediately being closed and future pay stopped due to NON COMPLIANCE. They claim they had been trying to reach my doctor's office for months and failed to do so - so instead of sending me a letter of their troubles, they closed my case. My doctor's offices claims they never tried to contact them. I appealed the decision. The appeal was won and the decision to close my case was overturned - I was in full compliance.

You’d think that would reopen my case. Think again. Appeals sent it over to the medical review department who then decided I did not meet the guidelines and there was no medical reason for me to be covered under the plan. Interesting since my situation didn’t change at all. So I appealed again. This time they requested an invasive amount of paperwork from my doctor. They gave her a deadline. They denied my claim PRIOR to the deadline that my doctor was given to submit paperwork, for “failure to submit paperwork requested” on the VERY SAME DAY my doctor sent the paperwork over. So now I had to appeal again and start the process over with the Peer Report team, with the paperwork she had sent over. She has sent in and provided everything she possibly could to this company and they are still not satisfied.

Every office visit note for the past 2 years, a 7 page questionnaire, form after form after form of the same forms over and over. She got a letter yesterday telling her that they have tried to reach her 3 times via telephone - her office keeps all phone records and they only called once during non operating hours - and that her medical opinion is not evident enough to support my claim and to supply them with something - anything else - that will help sway their decision in my favor. So now it’s been nearly 3 months.

They ripped my benefits from me right before the holidays for some falsified reasons - sole income with children - and now they are making any excuse to keep my case closed with ever appeal I open. This company is complete garbage. The way they treat disabled people is a crime. I have already been in contact with a lawyer. This is unacceptable. BEWARE - they constantly lie about contacting your doctor. They lie about not receiving faxes from your doctor. They lie lie lie to keep what is rightfully yours, hoping you won’t fight them all the way. DONT LET THEM WIN.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I had several medical problems and had to take short-term disability in May 2018. It's covered by FMLA and last for 12 weeks. I was told I would receive weekly benefits. It took 9 weeks to receive my first check! After the 12 weeks, my doctors said I was not ready to return to work. They recommended long-term disability so I informed Aetna. It was a nightmare! I waited 17 weeks to get my "reservation of rights" check...which is just a so-called courtesy payment by Aetna while they were in the process of reviewing my doctor's chart notes. I couldn't make my bills after 4 months of waiting. They said the reservation of rights meant that they would not take liability for my claim but needed me to see more doctors to get further diagnosed. Their payments under R of R was incorrect... They underpaid me so they had to make that up.

Finally after waiting since August 2018, I get a letter this week with the disability denial letter. Aetna is stating that since I have been in chronic pain and dealing with my medical issues for so long, that I should be able to continue to do so. My doctors have clearly documented that I am getting worse, I'm on more meds, I have a traumatic brain injury and vision problems. My neuro-optometrist recommends a 50-week treatment plan and Aetna is denying my claim. It's completely ridiculous because I can't possibly work right now with diminished capabilities and my condition only getting worse. They wrote a denial letter and cherry picked items from reports that favored THEM and made me appear unqualified for disability.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I never received my recertification paperwork. They then stopped my payments for 3 months. Once I submitted them they took 8 years to reimburse me and threatened to do it again! I had to wait for my case worker to retire before my claim was acknowledged! Once they did acknowledge it I was told to get over it!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This is THE WORST disability company I have ever dealt with! I’ve have child birthing experiences less painful than this! I went to my HR department after dealing severe depression and anxiety for almost a year. What we were doing wasn’t getting any better, so HR said take FMLA/STD and get better. It was easier for them if I took a few weeks and got better, than to have to have to restaff. I applied for leave 3 weeks in advance. Started leave on December 17, 2018 only to be contacted by Aetna on December 19, 2018 to be told I needed doctor's paperwork. I was sent paperwork on December 22. The following few days, I had both doctors fill out the requested paperwork. Aetna lost the PCPs twice, then said he never sent it in. (Even though there are faxed records AND I submitted through their portal.)

Second doctor sends in paperwork, Aetna says they need more information to answer their questions. He provides a clearly written paragraph answering their questions. Aetna comes back and says this still doesn’t answer the questions. I called them and asked what the questions were. They were three very basic questions that I got the answers to and submitted through the portal. This took me from December 22, 2018 to January 3, 2019 (which I thought was a very reasonable time considering the doctors were closed a few days for holidays).

Each time I sent paperwork, Aetna calls me with more questions. On January 4, the call again and ask the same questions again. They get the same answers again. January 9, they call and tell me they are making a determination. January 10, 2019 - they deny STD/FMLA due to “insufficient information and lack of response.” Stated I did not qualify for being “total disabled” which I never said I was anyway. Then AFTER STD is denied, they tell me that I’m not eligible for FMLA due to this lack of information - at which time I’ve already been off 4 weeks... So technically I could be terminated due to excessive absences. (I took the lesser of two evils and resigned on my own, that way I left of my own accord and not terminated.)

I applied for these leaves because my HR department told me to do so, and Aetna said there was no reason for me to have these. Just because two doctors certified it apparently isn’t reason enough. Let alone the fact that our HR department AGREED WITH THE MEDICAL PROVIDERS. I will NEVER EVER apply for ANY insurance with Aetna on my own, nor will I EVER use ANY leaves if Aetna is the provider. If you are considering paying for Aetna, think twice as they aren’t worth it at all. I deal professionally with rules/regs/risks all day every day, and I still have yet to understand how Aetna operates - they are the biggest risk out there... STAY FAR, FAR AWAY.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I developed [uber-painful] kidney stones last November and was off from work for 1.5 weeks. My company's policy is that if you are out for more than four days, you must apply for short-term disability. I was given a deadline of 11/14 to get what Aetna calls 'medication documentation' for my claim from my PCP... and was never informed that I was supposed to see my PCP before returning to work. They denied my initial claim based on that. Upon appealing Aetna's denial, by providing Emergency Room documentation and the necessary paperwork provide by Aetna to my PCP, I was informed that the appeal was never filed and that it would not have mattered, because they do not consider an E.R. physician's documentation being equal to a PCP. Upon denial of my appeal, I was terminated from my job due to 'excessive absenteeism'.

It seems incredibly unfair/unprofessional to take advantage of hardworking people who happen to fall ill but must depend on their income and benefits (which I also lost now that I'm without employment). All it would have taken is genuine concern enough for their agent's position to make sure I had a clear understanding of policies, procedures and expected timeframe, for this not to have been an issue and ending so badly for me!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Where do I start... I was out on LOA in 2018 but was returned to work. I went back out in August of 2018. I was denied twice to get my long term disability reopened. I had to submit a request an appeal. It took longer than 45 days so I was thinking I would be getting back pay, but received a call the day after Christmas telling me it was still denied. I haven’t received any form of income since August. Can someone please refer me to an excellent attorney in Georgia. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I had short term and long term from my employer through Aetna. No Federal or State taxes have been taken out even with multiple W4. I emailed multiple times, resubmitted multiple W4 and argued with the claims manager about needing to take State taxes out. They read a script, they do not know the laws, and the laws are not programmed into the computer script. If you question or complain, then they ignore request for callback, or help.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I worked for the Home Depot for over 20 years, went out on short-term disability. They rejected my claim for months, had to return to work still in pain. To make a long story short I spoke to my District HR. She told me she would call over to her counterpart at Aetna and get me paid even though they are not allowed to talk to each other. I got a check right away. This makes me sick, why does Aetna have the right to destroy people's lives, the law needs to change to protect employees that are paying for this insurance while Home Depot and Aetna get away with fraud.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My Ankylosing spondylitis flared up and caused inability to walk and severe pain for several months. Followed by several months of therapy and recovery. Aetna Short term disability was helpful and paid the full amount for short term disability. I had to wait for many weeks for this though. My doctors received multiple requests for the same information and had a lot of trouble getting the information sent via fax to Aetna because Aetna's systems wouldn't accept incoming faxes well. My doctors would sometimes not receive paperwork Aetna said they had sent them. I was on the phone often making sure people had received the necessary paperwork because it would often times not show up as expected.

All the people I spoke with at Aetna were kind and able to tell me what was still needed and why. The website on the other hand, speaking as a software engineer, is poorly constructed. Information that is supposed to be available is not to be found at **. The site doesn't show what documents have been received, only that "a document" has been received on some date. Also it is not clear when Aetna is requesting information from you the claimant. After completing questionnaires online the website shows the questionnaires are still needed.

My short term claim was followed by a Long term disability claim that was finally approved after the same extensive review, duplicate document requests and many phone calls to check that paperwork was received. Overall my experience was good. If I was more desperate for the payout it would have been more frustrating as the Std claim was filed mid Sept. and finally approved mid Nov. My Ltd claim was initiated directly after in Nov. and paid out mid Dec. My doctors and I were always prompt with providing all forms and documents.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had a Stroke on 8/21 and went on Medical leave (FMLA) from my workplace. You would not believe, what you have to go through with this Insurance Co. to receive what you are entitled to. Many forms you have to supply then Doctors. Even though I've been written out of work until December, they have cut me off 2x and, I have to jump hoops with them to get recertified AGAIN! Very rude people indeed and the worst I have ever had to deal with in my life especially with condition I'm in and all the different tests I am still undergoing. They need to be put out of the disability from work business part of their Company! I will probably end up hiring an attorney to get through all of this with them. Ridiculous!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I went out of work because of a herniated disc this year. I have been fighting with them every step of the way. Paperwork is always incorrect no matter how many times I have doctor's fill them out. Same paperwork for the same thing over and over and over again. I had to file a grievance with them and had to call insurance attorney and local news channel just to get my benefits. Had to threaten to Sue them to get any results. My claim manager was very rude and nasty to me. My phone calls to Atty. and BBB. And insurance commission put him in his place. Service still sucks but now I'm getting paid this month. Now I have to be recertified for the next month. Here we go again. Good luck people who are dealing with this problem. CALL and complain. Threaten to go to Atty. if you have to. That is the only way to deal with this company.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I broke my leg. Between my doctor and myself, all requested documents were sent. They approved until date was 3 weeks short of what my doctor said. I called repeatedly to figure out why. I kept being told the Dr needed to update the date. No matter how many times I said, the date is not what the doctor said, and they need to check their paperwork. My doctor ended up extending the date, and sent it in. 9 days later my coverage ended. I called again, and asked why it ended when the doctor, sent the extension. I was told they never got the original doctor notes. I asked why no one requested those, and was transferred to my case worker, who never answers the phone, which is why I just call the main number.

Once again, no answer. So, the case manager from my doctor's office called. They told her they did request it. She said it is electronic, and no request was ever sent, and they can't send information, they don't know is needed. The CSR told my Dr "well, we were going to request it today." I ended up calling and speaking to a supervisor. Who read through my file and saw how many times I called and doesn't understand why the request was never made. He said my date was auto calculated to the minimum, due to not having all the information. Only after that, was the request sent to my Dr. But I did not receive a payment on time. And my calculated percentage was not correct, since they did it as the minimum. So, I never received the full amount I was supposed to, and was canceled, early because my case worker, never requested the information, and never explained why, even though I called 2-3 a week about it.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Worst company I have ever had the displeasure to work with. Expect to be kicked off every 2 years no matter what your doctors say. They have no concern when it comes to kicking disabled people when they are done. They act in bad faith and should be shut down. They are not your friends and more money hungry than a corrupt politician. Don't be surprised when you hit the 2 or 4 or even 6 year make of disability that they will literally laugh at you over the phone while they are telling you they once again cut off your only means of support. Despicable people and company.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Screw your credit score... They don't have knowledge if you legally be paid for short-term disability and send you a huge check. Afterwards they compromise your situation then say, "Nope, return the money." If you ever take a little time to arrange to make a payment or so, then it is sent to collection already. Be careful handling situation with them like cashing their check until it is approved by them. Really you have to be confident enough. The coworkers are rude on the phone.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Broke my hand on April 1st 2018. Went on STML on April 5th 2018. Aetna allegedly cut my first check on April 20th 2018. Aetna allegedly sent out that check on April 25th 2018. It never made it. Yet, they claim it was sent. It only takes 2 days for mail to get from Kentucky to Chicago. Apparently, they're walking it to my house. It's been 8 days now. I haven't worked in 4 weeks. My bank account is overdrawn, I'm facing eviction and I haven't eaten in 2 days. But, Aetna's only solution is to just cut another check and send it. Thanks for screwing me, my company and all these other people over. God bless America?

Original review: April 27, 2018

Recently I had a full left knee replacement in Jan and I'm still waiting for my disability check. It's now April 25th and although their monthly payment came out of payroll every week, still nothing. I have called them many times only to be ignored by the claim handler. I have left many messages to have a return call, although none was ever received. The initial paperwork from my surgeon’s office stated that I would be out until the end of April, but Aetna closed my claim anyway. They had too many excuses, i.e. needed further updates, Doctors office faxed empty forms back, wrong dates on paperwork etc. This is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Do not waste your money or time if you're buying a private policy. The only reason I gave it one star was because I could not go any lower.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I am a USAF Veteran who has been employed with Engility Corporation since November 2015 and have been paying for Short and Long Term Disability through AETNA. As of October 18, 2017, I have been medically diagnosed with severe depression triggered by an incident at work, and have been unable to work as a result. My psychiatrist recommended that I seek short term disability, and an immediate claim was filed. My psychiatrist stated that I would be unable to return to work for an unspecified amount of time given the severity of my condition and required courses of treatment.

On November 06, 2017, I received treatment at the Partial Psychiatric Hospitalization Program at the Baltimore Washington Medical Facility from November 06 – November 22, 2017. After waiting for approximately a month for a response to my claim with Aetna, I received an updated notification from my H/R representative that my claim for Short Term Disability had been approved for the period October 19, 2017 – December 04, 2017. To request an extension beyond December 04, 2017 required that I contact both Aetna and my doctor to ensure that the necessary medical documentation was provided in support of an extension. I immediately contacted Aetna to inquire as to why I wasn’t notified directly as to the status update of my claim, and why was the expiration date of December 04, 2017 selected despite my doctor’s insistence that I was unable to return to work for an indefinite period of time.

Aetna responded by stating that “just because the doctor recommends a date doesn’t mean that Aetna agrees.” I inquired as to the medical qualifications of Aetna staff to apparently re-diagnose my condition without having any first-hand knowledge as to the severity of my medical condition. I was instructed to obtain additional medical documentation from my doctor in support of an extension, however was informed that there would not be a guarantee of an approval for an extension. The arduous process of processing my claim with Aetna has only exasperated my condition, coupled with the fact that I have no money coming in and am a single mother of four children. I have demonstrated to Aetna with due diligence, the validity and severity of my medical condition, yet my repeated attempts for support from Aetna are being denied.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

This company receives medical advice but drags their feet and denies claims for inaccurate reasons, my disability was confirmed twice by them and then by outside doctors but they still did not pay my benefits. Thirdly, I my disability was confirmed by Social Security and they still want to deny paying my claims. Do not deal with this company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Where do I start? WEBSITE DOES NOT WORK www.aetnadisability.com. Been trying for days. Customer service did not know that their website was down, she also said that I did not report the FMLA when I did have a confirmation number. She was totally confuse what I was saying. I was speaking very clearly and in English but confuse. Then she said she was going to send me a confirmation to my e-mail to my employer which they did. I not a total mess. Still waiting with no response to an e-mail since last week for someone to contact me. Still waiting.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Aetna is the worst insurance company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. I was removed from work for FMLA reasons under short term disability. The stress and hassle that this crap company has caused me has in fact worsened my condition. They send forms, they receive finished forms back. They then proceed to send out the same exact forms again, threatening to deny the claim if they don't get them back. I call to resolve the issue, nobody returns any phone calls. This company is merely a money pit with no intent on honoring the product that they sold.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I paid into my short-term disability, I took a leave of absence under the FMLA leave act for a addiction problem, my leave of absence was approved not only by my company and my primary care physician who wrote me a leave of absence status report so I can enroll an addiction treatment program (which I did). Aetna claim department said they wasn't getting the information from Kaiser claim department informing them why I need to be out on disability. Aetna requested x-rays and I haven't taking x-rays in over 20 years. I signed a medical release form to Aetna to receive my medical records from the medical release of information from my provider Kaiser for them to have access to my medical records yet Aetna was requesting things from me that I haven't done in over 20 years like x-rays.

That was the first reason why I got denied, finally my SDI kicked in. Aetna continue to deny me, because of that the denial my company I work for drop me from medical insurance (which is against the law being on FMLA) causing me to lose my dr, my addiction treatment classes and also my SDI benefits leaving me no medication for my diabetes. I had to apply for Social Service and family got accepted for Medical. To this day I still been out on disability however never received any assistance from Aetna.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I elected to enroll (Aetna,) moment like this, I was hoping, Aetna would be able to help me financially. Been out from work stressed related issues, and my ongoing experience with Aetna is adding more stress to my daily living. Funny, how they are so quick collecting my payment every payday. But when I am requesting for my claim now, Aetna's paperwork is so ridiculous. A never-ending notification and alerts. Am I being tested, and being played around. "Who would give up first"??? All paperwork were submitted, but they kept asking for more! I think, I rather stand outside the street with a pushcart with oranges and start selling.

What is due me, is being delayed by Aetna. I bet, down the road, my claim would be denied. Yeah. A double wambam stress. Wondering how their high ranking officials sleep at night? Knowing consumer like me is struggling each day, I am a woman of God. I pray, something GOOD will happen. I will keep on PUSHING. PUSH. PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPEN. What a tangled web we weave.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have breast cancer stage 3. Work for University of Penn for 20 years. Paid for long term care during my breast cancer. They closed my claim 3 times. I wish someone could help me. Why would anyone do this to a cancer patient especially when I tried working during chemo. Couldn't do it. I lost everything during cancer. Now they refuse to pay me for 4 months. I need meds and bills paid. What to do????

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I am out of work for major depression and anxiety caused by years of abuse and recent tragedies, which Aetna is only making worse instead of being supportive. Obviously, Aetna does not want me returning to work anytime soon otherwise they would be more supportive. Paperwork is either never received or not correctly filled out. Making my claim either denied or payments tremendously late causing insignificant stress. My first 4 weeks with my therapist have been dealing with Aetna instead of working on therapy. I started getting better once we were able to work on therapy, but then it just started all over again when my claim needed to be recertified. I have reps from Aetna leaving messages but when I return calls, they do not return my call. Their online portal sucks. You do not know if you are coming or going when trying to work with Aetna.

My therapists has says he has never experienced such a mess of paperwork and lack of communication physically with any other company other than Aetna. You have an alert online where you can submit paperwork directly to your doctor but nowhere to check off what form to send, so then you assume the email was sent with the required form as it gives you an option to send to doctor, then there is another tab under letters that have forms, this comes up where you can forward the form to your doctor but this comes up where it is being sent out of your own mailbox. So now I am not sure if this form is for me to fill out or the same thing that may have been already sent.

To top it off, once you get out of the portal and go back in, the alerts reappear so then you think maybe it was not sent correctly but once you click on the link, it says that a request has been already sent. I would like to know who is going to cover all my bank surcharges and remove any negative impacts on my credit due to receiving payments very late. I normally get paid every two weeks, but right now they are over a month late. Let me try explaining that to my bank and mortgage company, and see how well that goes over.

Aetna Disability Insurance Company Information