Aetna Disability Insurance

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Started my claim for reinstatement on LTD accident I had at work. Another employee's 1200lbs tool box fell on me giving me severe nerve damage in legs called CRPS. I have them Aetna through work. Long story short, work comp ran out 2yrs and Aetna supposed to take over, also applied social security. They denied me after all documents sent in said didn't have anything. Resent all documents. They then send letter saying they received everything needed and would let me know decision.

1 month later letter stating have not received blah blah blah, this happened for 8 months. I told them they had 2 claims opened on same thing. 1 lady was starting a new claim while 1 person started reinstatement case which is the right one. Would not believe me. Would not let me talk to a manager for 6 months. Finally get a hold of manager and he gets it, they were each taking a few papers and so each only had half required documents, manager calls us and says "Well I'm letting you know good news. We put everything from 2 claims and have enough finally to process claim. The right one." Well tells me I'll be paid on following Monday. I have these phone calls recorded as they record also so I did.

And Monday comes no pay. Another month of them saying Monday, next Monday bills 3 months late about to have my wife, daughter and self on street, no money no food, gonna take both vehicles, endless calls and my condition is 10 times worse because this no sleep, couldn't eat, function or anything, sores growing on legs from condition worsening and they say "Sorry we messed up. This is not your fault. I'm sorry. Tell bills to call and I'll tell them uta are fault." Tried that, waste of time, house says "are they gonna pay us if not we don't care." Pretty much how that went.

So much pain, barely walk now again due to way too much unneeded stress. I'd rather be beating down by 20 people stomping on me than go through the pain of CRPS freaking out more than ever due to them not trying to help and listen when I knew what was going on and tried many times to tell them sent letters, online act. all sudden says unauthorised to send messages, but it's perfectly ok for this Aetna company to do this kinda torture to people and THE system looks away, won't help or do what's right. Well we're gonna back pay, that doesn't fix THE late fees, pain and stress and suffering caused to a 13 yr old child and parents, cause they want to treat you like you're trying to scam. Even at one time said wasn't work related, "You already paid me for 9 months while I was trying to go back to work." Are you serious, but lawyer after lawyer says "sorry it wouldn't be worth it."

I wish Fox news and other big journalists would come here and interview and get this out there so someone or something can stop this cause it's over and over to hard working American people. That pay for ins. Like this also. I know it was by far the worst thing ever happened to me in life as and after the pain of hell I went through I hope I just get better and can go work again. CRPS is in the book the Dr's go by considered the worst pain there is, 2nd was cancer. Take that and multiply it by 10 or 100 doesn't matter times I didn't know what was going on. It hurt so bad like a bucket full of lava and you jump into them with bare feet.

These companies need to be stopped. I'm sure there are scammers they will be stopped when they can't get any provider to say they're disabled, don't need an ins. company you pay for that has not been seeing you every 30 days or less or putting huge needles in your spine without any sedation. Or taking you into surgery to insert a spinal stimulator and a huge battery that's at most is gonna probably give you pain relief, mine now is about at 25% relief or so I guess. Telling you "no we don't believe your Dr. That's ridiculous..." That's my opinion on it what else could it be. Someone or something with the knowledge or power to help us hard working families not have to be bullied or treated so wrongfully. Please help. They have numbers of money but it's been proven time and time again numbers in people will get attention.

I have worked for a delivery company for 18 years. We have to lift up to 149 lbs. I have weighed between 115 to 150 through years. Needless to say this job has destroyed my back, shoulders, neck, knees, kidneys, etc. In dec 2015 I had MRI showing building disc and herniated. Being one parent supporting my household, I continued to work until 8/17/2016 when I couldn't move or get out of bed. Went to Dr office. Was given note that I was unable to work. Was given medicine. Later went spine specialist. Was given to remain off work (Cleveland clinic). Then sent to physical therapy. He sent note that unable to work. Aetna kept running me around saying Dr didn't fill out what they needed.

Their computers were down. Case manager on vacation, no one else in case. Then sent to their Dr for review. Said didn't have enough evidence to prove that I was unable to do my heavyweight job. Now 3 months absolutely not a cent from them. Also I was told by someone else that Aetna was moving out of a few states including mine in WV. Wondering if there is a connection to this. Yes, I am in for a class action lawsuit. People that have worked for them say they are crooked and don't do people right. So it is a shame of a company like this to exist. My next step is going to insurance commissioner tomorrow.

1st let me say I was in the hospital for 5 days. Uploaded all records and faxed information to Aetna and then they claimed they contacted the hospital's medical records and they lied and did not because I called the hospital medical records dept and they had no record of being contacted. After the hospital went to my primary care doctor - he is still indicating I need to be off and went to a ent specialist who is also documenting my condition and is saying I need to be out and had surgery. But yet Aetna still claims that my condition does not need to be paid.

And if you are a truck driver and if the doctor and a specialist clearly do not want you to drive why would Aetna see something else and deny benefits when they claim they do not have enough data? Lies they tell - now they claim they are sending records to an outside doctor to review and it will take another 8 days. I have been off work for 3 weeks, going to doctors and specialist all indicating in documentation of my condition and Aetna does not call you back. Only looks at the documentation when you are on the phone with them and I believe they get a bonus for the amount of claims they deny and do not want to pay short term benefits.

My experience has been a real nightmare. Been off work since 9\16. Everyday I have had a real problem with Aetna short term disability. 1st the doctor paperwork wasn't right. Ok!! Aetna just kept lying about my doctor not faxing them back. They did fax Aetna the attending provider statement 4 different times. Aetna still said they not get. Lied again. I have been round and round with Aetna short term disability. Have been off since September 05 16. Still no check. You can add me to the Class action lawsuit. I read all the reviews on Aetna. The way they treat people is really, really Sad. So again add me to the Lawsuit. Please do. You need to call me. You can. **.

I have had Aetna STtD and LTD and they've been very helpful and cooperative and have paid me on time and when the State of California stopped paying me, they picked up the slack and paid me immediately. It may because my congestive heart failure is difficult to contest, but whatever the reason, they've been excellent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

On 17 Aug 2016 I left my job on short term disability. Aetna was supposed to cover it. My doctor (who is with Kaiser Permanente) provided all the requisite documentation. Aetna sent me forms for income tax and never said a thing about problems. When my checks did not arrive on time, I contacted Aetna. Every day they had a different story about the Attending Physician's Statement. Once Aetna said my case was closed. Many times they said the Attending Physician's Statement was filled out incorrectly. Most of the time we argued over Aetna's allegation that NO Attending Physician's Statement was ever sent.

Every day for a month I called them; then called Kaiser and they sent Physician's Attending Statement one after another. Finally, on 30 Sept. 30, 2016 Kaiser called Aetna and had me talk to both parties via three-way call. Aetna DENIED that the Physician's Attending Statement was an issue. Then they asked questions only I could ask - questions they could have asked me in the twenty or so times I called them before. Well, I think we get it all worked out and an hour later, an Aetna representative calls my cell and the first words out of her mouth was that they could not process my claim without an Attending Physician's Statement.

I called my employer, informed them that the problem persisted and that Kaiser had it recorded that Aetna did, in fact, have the Physician's Attending Statement. My employer called Aetna who now says they will pay up, but I haven't seen a dime. Today my employer sent me a note saying Aetna would pay 65 percent. Customer representatives were supposed to call me back about this complaint on four occasions... None of them have. I would never do business with Aetna. They are dishonest, conniving and incompetent.

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's three years ago. Aetna fought me for two and a half years for Long Term Disability. Finally after several lawyers they settled on an annuity until 2028. Now that that was settled I found that Aetna will not allow me to touch my Pension until I am 65 or after 2028 or they will stop all benefits. They are banking on my death prior to 2028 and in doing so destroying the 20 years I worked to build my pension. They refuse to settle for 40% of the value of the annuity knowing that my doctors have given me five years before I cannot take care of myself. This is not only unethical but it is cruel. As if my life and the ability to take care of my children does not matter in the slightest. If anybody is aware of any class action suits concerning their unethical practices please post it so I can join in. It is also a major reason that one of the largest multi-billion dollar Aerospace companies I worked for does not contract with Aetna anymore.

They approved my leave at first then two weeks later took it back because I complained about lady in the way she handled my claim. They always say they never received my faxes, never can get in touch with my doctors office. Because they took back their approval now my job is billing for like 4 months of insurance all at once which I will not be able to have my surgeries I need and my company that I worked 13 almost 14 years is okay with a company like Aetna that approved the claim then took it back. I need my surgeries. Now I have no insurance. I screwed by Aetna and by the company I work for. I have the approved letters and my bill from work.

I HAVE ONLY FELT MORE DEPRESSED WHEN MY MOM DIED. My employer offers STD as a benefit. Aetna is the TPA. In December 2015, I began having right shoulder pain (dominant arm). I waited to see if it would get better but it only got worse. Finally, I saw an orthopedic physician because I knew from prior experience (had right rotator cuff repair in 2012) that something was very wrong. Conservative PT and medication failed; in fact, PT increased the pain. A MRI was ordered in mid-May and the results were terrible. The Doctor told me that my shoulder was "so badly damaged that no amount of PT would ever help, injections would only destroy what little tendon I had left and my only option was a tendon/muscle transfer". Another doctor said my rotator cuff was "shredded". He referred me to another doctor in his group who specialized in difficult shoulder surgeries.

I met with the surgeon on June 2, 2016 and surgery would be scheduled asap, later that month. Immediately I reported the claim to Aetna as required and then Hell on Earth began for me. Aetna wanted me to sign a very broad information release to "help me" gather pertinent records. No problem. Nothing to hide. I signed the release but asked the Aetna representative to provide me a copy of whatever she obtained because I also was required to pay for fees associated with Aetna's requests. Nothing was ever said that Aetna's policy was to not provide the customer a copy of his own records that the customer is required to pay for.

My surgery took place on June 24. It did not go as expected. The MRI did not show all of the damage. Once the operation began, the surgeon found additional, more severe damage. What was to be only arthroscopic turned into a 3 inch incision along my deltoid along with two small keyholes on the front/back of my shoulder. My operative report lists 8 diagnoses and 8 separate procedures including tears of the supraspinatus, infraspinatus, massive tear of subscapularis, biceps rupture, SLAP tear, etc... The massive tear could not be repaired so part of my pectoral muscle was transferred to the subscapularis. Part of my distal clavicle was removed. Part of my AC joint was removed and the list continues. The surgeon warned me that recovery would be long and painful. He was right. Trips to the ER for uncontrollable pain. Trips to my PCP because the pain increased my blood pressure to very high readings. Never ending.

Probably around Week 6 (I'm still in a sling and not allowed to move my shoulder at all) Aetna became "concerned" as to why I was still in pain... why had I not started PT yet. Why? Why? Why? I guess no one at Aetna read the operative report. This was not just a simple rotator cuff repair. Around Week 8, I started PT. Going 3x per week. Ah, the pressure of when can you go back to work? Again, why are you still in pain? Could it be that probably every major part of my dominant upper extremity was cut on! Aetna, ever heard of Google? Most of their questions could have literally been answered by Google or better yet what about the Doctor/hospital records? Have you read those?

Eventually I talked to one of their managers (I use that term loosely) and I can sum it up in one word - RUDE. She said I had no objective findings... that pain was subjective... that Aetna's nurse was going to review my records and Aetna was going to call my surgeon. So what! Anyone with half a brain or any medical training has told me "you've had very extensive surgery" and it's not unusual to still have pain after what you went through. Everything I said was perceived as untrue. My doctor's skills were called into question. By Aetna's standards, I am a liar.

After receiving no response to my letters to Aetna which had specifically requested a written response, being told different things by different Aetna representatives, feeling so depressed due to my surgery, the pain and the subtle yet so obvious questioning of my honesty & integrity... I have decided to obtain an attorney. Not because there is any money to be gained. I'm only due my regular wages lost due to disability from the surgery. I am getting an attorney because I detest Aetna and their questionable ethics. I will actually "go in the hole" financially by hiring an attorney. I just hate dealing with Aetna that much. There's a special place in hell for Aetna and its claim managers.

I agree with everyone regarding Aetna Disability claims process. They find every way possible to deny, deny, deny. How can you expect me to live? Scheduled for total hip replacement next month and worried about being evicted at same time. I've been out of work since Nov 4 2015 and have yet to be paid a dime. 1st denial no side effects of meds listed after my doc never got a medical form to fill out and was sent a psych form when psych was sent nothing. My savings are depleted and I have to wait another 45 days for what!!!??? I really want to file class action against them as they don't care. I type this with tears flowing as I just don't know what to do anymore. We need to fight back.

Stay away from this insurance or anything that has to do with Aetna. They will make your life so miserable when you filed a claim until you literally give up. I was out of work for an abdominal surgery. The doctor suggest that to stay out of work for three months. Aetna physicians said I could return to work after 4 weeks. Ended up demanding them. Worst experience in my life.

Starting a class action lawsuit against Aetna - please read. Aetna has consistently tried to deny payment even after they made the first two weeks of my short term disability payments. Essentially I have been given the runaround since day one and now they continue to be dishonest about contacting the doctor’s office (the nurse for the doctor says they have never been contacted) and they never have contacted me even though I specifically asked for them to contact me via phone or email if they needed additional information. This place is completely dishonest and will use any loophole as reason to deny your claim even after it was accepted/approved.

If you would like to join a class action lawsuit against Aetna disability then please contact me via email - I already have my lawyer looking into to it and he says there is plenty to sue them for. This is not a joke, only serious inquiries please. I will not rest until this group of dishonest people gets exactly what they deserve. They have no problem taking our money upfront but then when we have medical procedures done (in my case back surgery) then they find any and every reason to try to get out of paying the claim. The people that work for them should be ashamed of themselves. How many people do they screw over every day? If you're one of them and would like to take a stand then please contact me because I have the resources to ensure they will no longer get away with these fraudulent practices.

I have had money deducted from my checking account for about 30 years for long-term care insurance. Aetna currently deducts it, yet they have no record of any kind on my and my wife's insurance. I have been thru the previous insurer, my human resources twice each today with no records anywhere.

Aetna has failed their customers and employees in regards to short term disability. I am an Aetna employee whom has handled LTD benefits for years. I have always had mixed feeling about the way they handle claims, however I needed my job. Just recently I have had my second back surgery with Fusion Hardware in October 2015. Right out of the gate I knew something wasn't right. I was under a lot of pressure from work to return and I attempted to in January 2016 part time. I lasted about 3.5 weeks. My surgeon has supported me out. I have a back brace, bone stimulator, injections, and unfortunately high doses of medications... I am still trying to figure this out.

However, Aetna decided to deny my claim based on the same information they were approving it on. They actually are penalizing me for attempting to return to work. Now, I know the ins and outs and I truly am baffled that they denied me. I am a decent wage earner, so my reserve is high I am sure and this plays a part. They can ** you and say it doesn't but I've had directors go out of their way to take claims out of approval status so they can rip the claim apart to do their own investigation and wouldn't you know it, they would find a reason to deny it.

I am currently in appeals status, which I am bracing myself for a litigation fight. I am also a walking wounded disabled vet, not that I am above anyone else but Aetna has balls. They make people want to think they have high ethical values and treat each claim in its own, but they don't. They will fish around until they find no support. The clinicians that review these claims are not doctors, barely any real life experiences. It's a joke. Aetna should be investigated like Unum was in 2003 for going out of their way to deny claims. Again, I am a friggin' Aetna employee and they treat us just as bad as the rest of you. I am ashamed to say I work for this company and the way they treat people. I will not be going back to this company once I'm able to work again. Ashamed is what I am. I hope you all the best in your fight for your benefits in which if medically supported, you are entitled to it.

I must say that working for the DOD, AAFES was a very gruesome experience over 8.5 years. I was a salaried employee and the hours fluctuate between 10-12 per day, but given the salary you kind of get used to it. On October I reviewed 3 different MRI results and was placed of STD. First of all AAFES tried to trick me by not sending the proper form for me to fill out the COBRA Extension by saying they had e-mailed me the form but never did. Meanwhile after being terminated for some of the most stupid fabricated details by my manager on 12-31-15, in February the claims manager informed me they could not re-certified my short term extension due to not having medical information from my pain management doctor who very conveniently stopped seeing me without proper insurance, so I thank GOD that the VA hospital doctors helped me and provided much needed services and letter to support my claim.

So I was extended until April 18 and was told my case will be transferred to Long Term Disability. Well just received a call stating that I could not transfer the case because I was no longer employed by AAFES and that they would be closing the case. I questioned the fact that I became disabled prior of being terminated and that I was still under doctor's care and therapy for a very chronic back condition that only got worst with the high physical demands of that job and I can no longer work the same job EVER! Will be getting a lawyer involved as they only provided one phone call to notify me of the case being close.

This is just a small example as to no one is exempt from this type of treatment and I can only imagine what they would do to people who are not quite as skilled with typing and filling out paperwork. One last thing. When I started the whole process the customer service representatives told me on 2 occasions that if I lose my job and continue to submit supporting evidence they will keep my claim active. To later being told that they had made a mistake in telling me so...

Alright. I'm going to try to make this as short as possible which is going to be very difficult considering this is been a long drawn out pain in the you know what. I'm 39 years old, married for close to 20 years, with three children, two are small boys. I have now had four major spine surgeries, 3 fusions, 1 diskectomy laminectomy, over a 10 year period. I've been diagnosed with severely degenerative disc disease moderate to severe spondylosis, with moderate to severe facet arthropathy and mild root compression, at the age of 28.

I was a general contractor, married, very happy, Type A personality and very rarely sitting still. I went back to work about 8 to 10 months after the first lumbar surgery which was pretty difficult to recuperate from. Another 6 years passed and then one day I herniated 3 levels in my neck c5, 6 + 7. Pretty sure they are needed at separate times but dealt with it for a number of months and tried everything from acupuncture, to chiropractic care, two injections. But did that with all of the herniations. Anything to avoid surgery. All three were fused in a very successful surgery and I was back to work in about 8 to 10 weeks.

Unfortunately I did have to deal with Aetna during the last two surgeries. With the 3rd surgery (my cervical) unfortunately I was left with two weeks unexcused days off of work, because it took two weeks longer than I first told them it would to return to work, even though I was going back early, even by my doctors very liberal estimation. This two weeks was unexcused because I didn't satisfy the REPEATED request for DUPLICATE paperwork in the 15 day window allowed.

I work in an aircraft manufacturing facility and my job tends to be very labor intensive with a lot of climbing and scrunching yourself up into very small spaces. Unfortunately about a year and a half ago I blew my L5 -S1, and unfortunately I felt that If I made a workman's comp claim I might put my job in jeopardy so I didn't. The surgery was significantly more difficult and profoundly impacted my life significantly more than either of the three prior surgeries. Shortly after the surgery I explained what my goals were to my surgeon, that I go back to work within 3 months.

Meanwhile using my $5,000 bone growth stimulator I was talked into taking with absolutely no knowledge of how expensive and how much I would be left paying, I began to heal. Unfortunately after three surgeries in nearly the same spot the interbody a-lift surgery helped eliminate a lot of the very intense sharp burning pain in my hips, buttocks and legs, however when I did move or do anything that took any effort, walking around the block ,doing something outside with my boys, washing the dog, I would be completely useless the next day. As it is I have to get in the bathtub just to get so where I can stand up straight in the mornings.

So with that goal in mind when the two and a half months time came around I asked the doctor to write me a return to work pass. Unfortunately I was not being a realist and being honest with myself and what I would be able to do well and they got a hold of that return to work and did everything they could including saying their independent physician said I was fine to return to work.

All this being said Aetna had the call to use a number of different tactics to try to find a way to deny my claim and remove me as a claimant. I had no less than 9 duplicate requests for duplicate information. They would ask for a physician's statement every single time they made a request hoping the surgeon or doctor's assistant who actually filled out the paperwork makes a mistake. Unfortunately in my case the person I had filling out my paperwork and did a horrible job. There was at least 60% of the answers on these forms were incorrect or completely fabricated, which of course now gave Aetna plenty of ammunition.

Nevermind then I was passed off to 4 different claims managers throughout this time. Oh and did I mention the boilerplate release form for all medical information, psychotherapy information, drug addiction information, pharmaceutical information. Just another loophole to try to find a way to disclaim you. What's funny is they actually insisted I go see an independent position. Who at the conclusion of our meeting looks me in the eye, shook his head and said how disgraceful at nothing was behaving and that after the letter he sends them I should not have any issues with them whatsoever in the future.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case. Move on to the next claims manager. This one seems to be a lawyer. She debates well and has nearly convinced me that my doctor is insisting I go back to work, and that it may very well just be in my head. Don't let me forget about the third claims manager who lied to the doctor's assistant and the physician who did my surgery about a number of different things, mainly communications between her, their physician and me.

Long long long story short Aetna despicable. If I had treated this way working for a company who has over quarter of a million employees worldwide I can only imagine how the lone individual with no deep pockets or leverage would be treated, or should I say mistreated. I can tell you that the constant badgering and stress of losing my benefits or suddenly being denied which I was threatened with repeatedly by two different frames of managers, put my wife and I both and the most fearful and worrisome time of our lives.

We had three children and home to feed clothes and take care of. Thank God I was lucky enough to have married one of the most incredible, most loyal, consistent, amazing woman alive. Without her there's no doubt I either wouldn't be here or I would be in desperate condition. I cannot quantify the amount of stress this company has put on this family on top of the awful feeling of knowing my two sons know that their dad doesn't get up and go to work every morning like you used to. That is incapable of doing the types of things a regular dad does. How do you Teach your sons to not be couch potatoes or sedentary individuals when you are day in and day out. It breaks my heart.

Again unfortunately these huge insurance companies pay a tremendous amount of money in Washington and have a ridiculous amount of lobbyists working on their back which have infiltrated both sides of the Senate and Congress. So I think it's fair to say they have a large part to play in the writing of the laws that regulate insurance companies. Sooner or later we're going to get money out of politics and all of this will change. I'd also like to note the fact that I repeatedly read how Obamacare had eliminated the pre-existing condition issue that so many of us have been faced with. I'm really glad to see that someone in a position to make something happen, did!

I'm sorry to those of you who have been denied and are probably thinking to yourself what is this guy ** about he's receiving his benefits, only after basically being tortured with stress by this company repeatedly continually for a year and a half. I'm sorry for all of you out there that have been denied. Immediately get a long term disability insurance lawyer and appeal appeal appeal appeal appeal. If you have a sound case you should be OK from what I can tell other than the fact that the lawyers will get a significant amount of your back pay period another lobbying issue in the laws ** made.

I had my son on the 25th of November. All my disability paperwork was completed and filed in the beginning of December including my direct deposit information that I signed up for. Aetna mailed my check on the 23rd of December to an incorrect address. First, why give me the option for direct deposit and take all my bank information if you're not going to use it?

Second, my address is all over numerous paperwork that was filled out. How can someone mess up check someone is supposed to live off of and not verify the correct address?! I contacted Aetna 2 weeks after it was sent out, and their response was "it's the holidays so it may take longer." I just had a child where family from all over the US sent a card or gift. None took more than 2 weeks. When I found out it was the wrong address they said they had to stop payment and reissue another check. The minimum waiting period for this is 10 days. So another check won't even be reissued till at least the 16th of January.

The reason why people pay for short term disability is for financial support while they are unable to work. I will be unpaid and out of work with my son for almost 2 months (when it's supposed to be 1 week) before a check comes and Aetna could care less. My bills are now falling behind which hasn't happened to me since college 10 years ago. This is all because the carelessness of people's information and payment being delivered to them. I've never used disability for anything, and this is pretty traumatizing for a first time experience!

Enrolled during open enrollment. Repeatedly told that as long as I was healthy, eligibility would begin Jan 1. I have No DIAGNOSIS, NO MEDICATIONS. Denied INSURABILITY because I am planning on Bunionectomy. There was NO disclaimer, no "look back period" disclosed, when I attempted to be proactive and gather information.

I believe that with all this many dissatisfied customers it wouldn't take much to file a class action lawsuit against them. I worked for my employer Advance Auto for 11 years and had paid in the whole time with the assumption in the event I were to ever need this I would have it to fall back on. I spent a week in the hospital from a reaction to a blood pressure medicine I was taking. Aetna paid me on short term up until 6 days of it rolling into long term. I was referred from a local specialist here in Kingsport to the Vanderbilt University for continued treatment on march the 17 2015. On march 23 the following monday Aetna not only closed my claim they also reported to my employer I was released to return to work. I made several calls and then continued run around. I was told by the claims manager "Stacy" that I was welcome to start another short term claim.

There wasn't enough documentation to continue it into a long term claim while I am under 3 doctors' care. I have had 3 surgeries and still unable to work. I am a single father with sole custody of my daughter. Since this happening have lost our only transportation and lost our home of the last 15 years. Is there not a way to punish companies that are embezzling of the working class? I attempted to use a lawyer that is out of state to combat them only to find out last week like in washington apparently Aetna has a hand in that pocket.

Instead of suing them as originally I was told for negligence of benefits the law firm is trying to negotiate. I could have sent them a form letter myself and the fact that we have lost everything isnt admissible nor does it pertain to the case. All of my medical bills are now in collections and we are homeless. My advice would be to find a local lawyer. Someone you can look in the eye.

I have a Hospital Plan... That is supposed to pay $1000 when you are admitted & $100 per day. I had surgery on the 19th of October & was released on the 21st. I submitted my claim & I had to have the hospital billing department send Aetna the required UB04. It took me two weeks & numerous calls to get them to acknowledge they had received the paperwork. I got a different response every single time I called.

One representative told me she had received it & there was a problem with their system & they couldn't see my paperwork. She would say she would call back at a certain time & she never did. I would call & be told "we don't have your claim" by a different rep. Then today I was told my claim was denied because the billing company had billed my stay as a observation. I stayed two nights in a hospital room? I have been paying into Aetna for almost three years now. I am so frustrated & angry. HR told me I can't drop them until next October (open enrollment). It's a scam. I don't think they ever pay anyone.

I have birth defects. While I have worked 42 years, I have largely been denied any insurance coverage (prior to ObamaCare) because of these birth defects. Over the years of working for a variety of employers, AETNA has been the most abusive when it comes to denial of benefits. As part of treating my COPD/asthma, my doctor has recommended a lung transplant, which I don't want. I am within 3-5 years of end of life, at the current forecast for my breathing difficulties, and have been put out on disability due to multiple car accidents within the last year, along with a host of side effects from the powerful medicines I was taking.

However, AETNA, in its wisdom, has determined I'm not sick enough and has denied me disability on behalf of my employer, SAP. When I appeal to SAP to intercede, they sent me back to AETNA vs. getting involved to resolve the dispute. With ERISA supposedly protecting the workers' rights, and both my employer and AETNA indifferent to the fact that I earned these benefits which are being withheld, where do I turn next?

Who has the power to force AETNA to treat me fairly when they won't pay for the most basic of medical expenses without a fight, and have unilaterally denied me my disability benefits as outlined in my SAP employee handbook? I am spending down my 401k while hanging on and trying to get through the State and Federal disability process, however, my understanding is that my employee benefits, earned while working for SuccessFactors, a division of SAP, should already be paid to me during this very difficult time. There is apparently no recourse through either AETNA or SAP, so I'd appreciate any suggestions about where to try next.

Aetna is "One big joke." Aetna wanted all from A -Z, I had all the documents and forms from Jan 5, 2015 to July 16, 2015. NO Pay?? Denial of a appeal no money but I was paying for injection, therapy etc, and I was still having a lot back and hip pain was still there with the problem. I go sign up the same day again with Aetna, guess what they approve my claim with same doctor I start with. So I was approved for the same issue that I had from Jan - July 16, 2015 and still haven't back paid me a dime. They are just program to same the same story, I pray GOD SHUT AETNA DOWN. Treating people worst than a dog and lie, lie. This company is of the Devil. Just find Tracy a manager and A with Jason.

Just want to say that for the 3rd time in a couple of years I have helped someone close to me file disability claims with both Colonial and Aetna Short Term Disability. While he has kept up his premiums through payroll deduction and while he has been paid in all 3 instances for his claims, it has become clear to me that these companies will try and do all that. They think that they can get away with possible to NOT PAY YOUR CLAIM in the end. Why do I think this even though my companion was paid? Because they put him through the ringer in hopes that we would just give up. All of the phone calls, checking, double checking, etc. is stressful and they KNOW THIS.

I injured myself on 8/8/15... Emergency room on 8/9. Doctor visit and filed claim on 8/13. Doctor's office didn't file paperwork, so I did on day of decision, 8/26, which put me into suspension - pending receipt of medical records. I confirmed the receipt of said records with Aetna. It is now 9/11, and I'm getting the same response that I received on 9/1. Keep in mind, my claim is due to be closed on the 15th for failure to produce documents that they have admitted receiving. This is absolutely unreal.

This is more the principle of the matter. To start off with I am offered STD from work... ok. So, 16 days later I get a check not base on what my normal paycheck would be because, my back went out. So, I was going to chiropractor 3 times a week, ice 10 mins every hour. So, I was getting better but, there was no way I could stand for 8 hrs on cement floor let alone walk. Aetna calls me up today and says they would only pay me til 8/24 that quote "They didn't see any abnormalities to keep me from working???" How about pain!!! Unbelievable... I live alone and had to go out for cat food and milk etc. When I told that to one of the clerks at Publix that said "That's **... you could" quote "barely get around!!" That's no way to treat a person that works hard and puts money into short term disability for such a time as you need it!!

I recently made a partial payment on my monthly billing and the check had not been processed yet so I called them today and they told me my check was being returned because they don't accept partial payments under COBRA/Aetna and I told them it is not stated anywhere on the billing statement payment that it must be paid in full. I never heard of such nonsense that partial payments not accepted by COBRA/Aetna. I don't just have $1200 laying around.

For me paying within the grace period given to pay enough to cover by the grace period (30 Days) so was paying biweekly and that seemed reasonable. I am not working due to filing for disability and currently getting LTD payment thru Prudential. Just wanted to let you know to forward my complaint to the powers that make these decisions forcing me to pay the premium all at once. It makes no sense to me. I need the insurance now and will pay as required until someone has a conscience to revisit the payment process with COBRA/Aetna. Overall AETNA is good, it's just the COBRA billing process that isn't working too good for people like me.

I have been extremely patient and optimistic throughout this process with AETNA and Bank of America regarding my disability, however, enough is enough. On 4/22/15, I had a 3 level (c3-4, c4-5, c5-6) cervical discectomy fusion with severe cervical spinal stenosis surgery. In May, I started receiving multiple phone calls from AETNA regarding my return to work date. I explained time and time again that my follow up appointment with my neurosurgeon was not until 6/25/15 so I was unsure what their recommendations would be. AETNA then contacted my doctor’s office and stated that they needed a date, repeatedly. My doctor’s representative stated a date, 6/10/15. However, pending appointments would determine my return to work date.

Now, please keep in mind that a surgery at this extent does have a normal recovery time of 3-6 months but can be several months depending on the patient and their fusion healing AND my original return to work date was 11/13/15. I did everything that I was supposed to do and followed my neurosurgeon’s directions to a tee so that I could heal quickly and return to work. On 6/25/15, I went back to my neurosurgeon for my second follow up since my surgery. On this date, we reviewed my X-Rays, which were remarkable considering the surgery that I endured. We decided that I could go ahead and take off my neck brace after being in it 24/7 for 9 weeks straight and that I would only have to wear it in strenuous circumstances.

I contacted AETNA immediately following my appointment to advise them of the great news and progress of my recovery. AETNA then wanted to know, when was I coming back to work? I advised that my doctor recommended physical therapy and for me to continue to be out of work until 8/1/15 and use my bone growth stimulator until further notice. I had no Range of Motion due to being confined to a neck brace for 9 and a half weeks straight. It was on 7/3/15 that I noticed that I did not have a direct deposit for my Short Term Disability benefits. I contacted AETNA, who then explained that my claim had been closed due to my doctor stating that I could return to work.

I contacted my doctor extremely confused since the last follow up, we had decided that even though I am making progress, we do not need me to interfere with any of the progression and I needed to still be out of work. After all, I should still be in my neck brace, but since I have done EVERYTHING in my power to recover as quickly as possible and follow all directions, I am on a path to a wonderful recovery. My doctor advised that he did say that I could go back to work with no restrictions in error, however, he also put on the same documents that I needed to be out until 8/1/15 with restrictions. When I contacted my doctor again stating that AETNA has denied my claim, they were appalled at the fact that given the information and communication verbally that we have all had, that they could do this.

Then, on 7/29/15, I get a notification that I have a new letter on the AETNA navigator that says they are requesting PHYSCOTHERAPY NOTES. Apparently this is supposed to be some kind of insult I would assume. I am not crazy, but like I said, AETNA and Bank of America are making me seriously re-evaluate myself now because I am starting to think that maybe I am going crazy. I spoke to my appeals case manager today, 7/30/15, and wanted information regarding my circumstances and said that we would be in touch. To top it all off, I got ANOTHER notification on the AETNA navigator and a new letter from my appeals case manager with a new due date of 10/4/15 from 9/4/15.

I feel like I am in the twilight zone. I am a human being, with a child. I have been with the company for years and I continuously exceed expectations and have not had to utilize benefits through AETNA previously. My car is now being repossessed, my electricity is due to be shutoff, but thank the Lord the temperatures are too high. My mother is paying my phone bill for me. I have NO cable. My mother is buying food for us because I HAVE NOTHING. What turned out to be a life-threatening surgery that I needed due to the severity of my health and wellbeing, I never in my wildest, craziest dreams ever thought that I would ever have to go through something like this in my life.

This is the biggest nightmare I have endured in my lifetime. When I thought that nothing could get worse, I contacted Bank of America HR on 7/30/15 who advised me that they have now dropped my insurance due to non-payment, even though my claim is currently under appeals. How am I supposed to pay Bank of America $821 when I have no income? How can such a big corporation treat an employee like this? How much worse can it get, now? I am sure between Bank of America and AETNA it’s going to. On 7/14/15, I did return to work against my doctors recommendation because I needed some sort of income for my daughter and I. This lasted until 7/17/15 when AETNA advised me that I needed to go back on leave due to my doctor’s release being 8/1/15.

I still have not been able to have this time entered by Advice and Counsel, Payroll and Timekeeping or management. I can almost guarantee Psychotherapy Notes for the both of these companies now due to the stress and mental anguish I have gone through. I am returning to work on 8/3/15, with a reduced schedule per my doctor’s notes and recommendations. I want to go back to work and complete my recovery properly. I want to go back to work and exceed expectations. I am tired of being belittled by AETNA and the lack of empathy for my situation.

This is extremely serious and this has put me in a crucial hardship. I am so disappointed. Family, friends, co-workers, doctors and personnel cannot believe the carelessness and situations that Bank of America and AETNA have caused. We need to resolve this issue as soon as possible. I cannot wait until October for a response.

I have to say after truly reading some of the other postings I feel nothing but sorrow and anger for all of you. After a long term battle against the insurance company which resulted in being reinstated and receiving my back benefits. Out of the back benefits I will receive 0% of the settlement, all going to the legal cost. They knew they were wrong and could get away from it because the ERISA laws put you behind the 8 ball with no rights to claim damages.They purposely scuttle your ship. They even get another free shot at trying to hurt your family again by refusing to buyout and betting against your health, mortality, and them being busted for their tactics.

These people even make you sign a gag order and exonerate them in the settlement. Guess what insurance company? You will have to permanently silence me. I am putting you on notice. I am whistleblowing. Any moves by you will be considered retaliation. The even bigger joke is that the Supreme Court altered ERISA for same sex couples but hung the rest of the majority out to dry. I guess not all men are created equal under the Constitution of the US. People need to band together and take the fight to battle back and protect our rights. Any good activist groups out there?

I was denied on my original claim for disability by Aetna for cancer!!! How the ** do you deny a person a claim for cancer??? I am employed by FedEx...my claim was denied based on a technical error by FedEx, they said!! FedEx had nothing to do with filing paperwork. My surgeon and I had all paperwork in within 2 days after 1st of 2 major surgeries!! I had tonsil/lymph node cancer, and after the surgeries I was unable to speak on the phone!!!

It took me 5 weeks to get the claim overturned, and then they only paid 4% of the 70%...they left the other 66% on the state!!! ** American people need to start a class action lawsuit against these dirtballs. I see these comments go back 5 or more years...I think we can bankrupt these losers when we win!! They owe disabled citizens of past and present billions of dollars!!! How are they even still in business??

I was diagnosed with Degenerative Absolute Spinal Stenosis and a Degenerative Right Hip in March of this year. I was approved for FMLA through my company as I was unable to stand or walk for protracted periods of time and I am or was in retail. The FMLA concluded and I was asked to resign since my doctor would not release me. I was approved by Aetna after several weeks for short term disability until 6-13-15 as shown on their website. However, since I was receiving an epidural pain block / steroid injection on the 15th with unknown results, they approved payments only until 5-17-15. I had a follow-up consultation on the 29th. The pain block was ineffective for even a week. My doctor prefers to try another injection as opposed to sending me to a neurosurgeon. I agreed since I prefer not to have surgery if conservative treatments will work.

I assumed my short term disability would take back up and run its course as prescribed as nothing changed. After having no communication from Aetna, I contacted them inquiring as to the status of my re - certification and what was delaying it. The following is their response: "At this time your claim is approved through 5/17/15. We faxed out to Dr. ** for MRI and diagnostics test results on 6/8/15 and are waiting to receive a response to that fax. Currently your claim is being reviewed by a Clinical Consultant. Once a determination is made on your claim you will be contacted by your claim manager."

They have the MRI imaging from February and there was no new imaging. An injection will not remove the bony growth from my spine (stenosis) nor rebuild a femoral head (hip). Hence we must conclude that the condition has remained stat or possibly deteriorated. On their own website it shows that I am approved through 6-13-15. My doctor is most conscientious in communication and Aetna even admits to having communication from him regarding my condition. I question the ethics of a company that uses these shenanigans. Were it not that I am an informed consumer and have spoken with my doctor at length with my doctor even to the degree of what time of surgery (laminectomy / possible disc fusion) I may expect as the condition worsens, I would be utterly at a loss. That is not the case.

Aetna Disability Insurance Company Profile