Topsider Homes

Clemmons, NC

Compare Home Builders & Developers

Research top Home Builders & Developers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I contacted Topsider Homes as a possible source to build a weekend cabin. I did not like the manner that they conducted their business. Topsider Homes never provided the "free cost estimate" - instead keep pushing for ongoing telephone conversations when I had clearly requested from the very beginning a standard design with no variations/changes. I then searched online and found numerous consumer complaints regarding the company. I will NOT be doing business with Topsider Homes.

I've been waiting eight weeks for a refund check that Al** (Director of Operations) promised would be disbursed to me. I've made numerous phone calls and sent multiple emails only to be stonewalled or ignored. Absolutely the most horrific consumer/business transaction I've ever experienced in 40 years. Absolutely no integrity at that company.

Consumer Increased Rating!

The company has agreed to start making payments for these freight moves.

Lauren of Charlotte, NC on

Original Review

We have carriers who have worked hard to haul freight for this company. After SIX months of unreturned phone calls and unpaid bills, we will be out a ton of money. I wouldn't trust this company if they refuse to pay the hardworking truck drivers who deliver their goods.

The house frame came somewhat timely but the interiors have now taken 4 months and still aren't here.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I did get a call from Topsider homes relating to my complaint about the mold issue. Afterdiscussing the problem it is mutually agreed there is not a design problem. The problem seems to be coming from the builder that I hired.

Please do not hesitate to do business wiisth Topsider. The product and support is outstanding.

Kristine of Gloucester, VA on

Original Review

We love the layout of the house. Beautiful. House was ordered 2008... to be placed in VA. VA is a humid state. We noticed mold in the first year and thought we were containing it via bleach spray. Was wrong. Black mold has taken the garage and now working its way in the house... i.e., kitchen/living room. My mother has been calling Al ** at Topsider for months now. I have one reply on my voice mail and that's it. My daughter is asthmatic and has had to increase her meds... I have an 83-yo mom with OCD. She does not need to breath in mold spores. Knowing the house was being placed in a humid area, there should have been some vents to let the moisture out. Designer flaw. I need a call back and a solution to the problem that does not cost me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Topsider Homes?

Do not use Topsider! After careful consideration (I even flew to NC to see their factory and model home), I paid $10,000 in design fees and received basic designs. Then, we decided to sell our lot instead of build. Al **, Director of Operations, is very prompt to respond to email and phone calls when there is the potential to get more money out of you. When you're discussing a refund, he ignores you. I asked for a partial refund - no response. I asked if the remaining balance could be transferred to the buyer of the lot (a sales incentive) - no response. I've called and emailed too many times. Go elsewhere!

If I could give them a zero, I would. We have kept a blog about our Topsider experience, ***.com. We are very careful about purchases and even went to the factory to check it out. Even from before delivery, we had conflict with them. They sent our blueprints without an electrical page which held up the process by two month then insisted on delivering the house in the rainy season though we asked them not to.

The kit was delivered without the main central support post, wrong length bolts, wrong washers, walls did not fit into the space, windows did not fit into the spaces, the walls leak in the rain (no weather wrap under the siding). The kit instructions show three people and a stick raising the support beams. Ha! This needed a crane. We were told that it would be a weekend to make the house weather tight. It took months. They sent the wrong sliding glass doors and the windows on the front doors did not line up.

Our insulation was ruined due to the delivery date in the rain. The time spent waiting for replacement parts set us behind schedule. Walls were crooked/warped and had to be straightened with a come along and chains. Nothing was as it should have been and we got so far behind that a house started in 2006 is just now nearing completion. We were so frustrated that I started a yahoo group for other Topsider owners just to see if we were unique. We were not. Once you are done, Topsider offers a cost reconciliation. After hearing other folks describe their experiences, we declined to try to get reimbursement for our extra costs. I would never ever recommend them even to my worst enemy.

I have an 8 year old Topsider home with defective shingles that are falling off the roof. I contacted Topsider early September 2011 & filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau with no success to help resolve the problem. Topsider says not responsible. I need help with this matter. Topsider is a horrible business to say the least!

We tried to build a home with Topsider Homes. We were promised that financing would be available. We "battled" through nine+ months, over two-hundred email communications and much headaches and heartaches, with three banks recommended to us by Topsider Homes. We were turned down by all three for the special nature of Topsider's nontraditional post-and-beam construction relative to the location we planned to build in rural west central Arkansas. Again, we were assured by Topsider Homes that the home could be built anywhere and financing would not be a problem if we qualified. We qualified. Our credit score is nearly 800. We are not at all wealthy but are financially stable with a current home near paid off, property in Arkansas paid off, and stable employment and a good income as a pharmacist.

On 27-Sept-2003, my wife and I presented a check for $58,693.89 to Topsider Building System as a downpayment to build our retirement home in Florida. It takes roughly three years to acquire a building permit in Monroe county. We were all aware of that. On 21-April-2005m, I was diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus and given three weeks to live. At the same time, we received word that our permit would be issued.

We notified Topsider of our situation and they had no problem with us taking care of my medical problem first. I have now undergone two major operations, four years of chemo, three months of radiation, pet scans, endoscopy and countless amounts of prescription drugs. As of today's date, 25-May-2010, I still have cancer. I am being treated at both The Maplewood Cancer Center and the Mayo Clinic. The ACS sends a crew to my house during the summer months to cut my grass and maintain my yard.

As you can see, I am no longer able to maintain a private residence without help. On 28-Jan-2010, I called Topsider to discuss my situation and have our money returned. They in turn hired a law firm. Nice people ha! I notified the BBB office to no avail. I have been on SSD since Nov-2005 and medicare as well. Help us!

Topsider Homes Company Profile