2. Moving
  3. Real Estate Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.95/5

Redfin Reviews

Original review: June 24, 2020

Slack, lackadaisical, lazy, worthless. My Redfin agent was a complete hack, provided ZERO guidance. My listing has been on the market for almost 60 days and he has made no effort to proactively reach out. I am driving each interaction. Every real estate agent I have worked with in the past has at the very last made an effort to communicate status, next steps, etc. These redfin agents are completely passive and do not take any proactive steps to help you sell your home. I would strongly advise against using redfin to sell your home. Pay the extra 1% and get a real agent.

Original review: May 25, 2020

The selling agent's communication was less than desirable. He only communicated when it came to closing and for him to receive his commission. His failure to communicate with us and with the contractor his client hired continuously caused delays in our move. Redfin only cares about receiving their money and has no interest in helping people. It took numerous attempts to get any answers from him if he answered at all. Part of the purchase agreement required the seller to replace all the plumbing. After a contentious discussion about finding their own plumber, the seller decided to go with our choice of plumbers but refused to close until after the work was completed. The contract was between the seller and the plumber and therefore we were unable to effectuate any discussions regarding the work and timing. The agent was given all of the time frames, updates etc and failed to disclose any of the information to the plumber.

This caused us delays in being able to move and undue stress. Part of the contract also required the seller to pay for five days rent back, $300 for paint and to pay for the sheet rock repair. It took numerous attempts to finally get a response from the agent that the money was at the title company. We were told after business hours on a Friday before a long weekend.

One more issue. At the time we were supposed to receive keys to our home, he provided the wrong code to the lock box and then did not respond to my agent for several hours, again causing delay. The only time the agent was responsive was during the time to confirm closing which leads me to believe Redfin only cares about getting their money and they do as little work as possible to facilitate the transaction. I would highly recommend against buying or selling a home with Redfin. This process is stressful enough and with the COVID 19 additional stress, the entire process was difficult. It was made even more difficult because of the lack of professionalism of this selling agent at Redfin.

Get buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I have no experience in actually being a customer of Redfin’s, however the experience I had with their agent Nora ** guaranteed that I never will be - and I recommend you don’t hire Redfin either, but specifically don’t hire Nora **. Nora ** showed our house which is listed by our agent, not her, on March 15, 2020, On our Ring doorbell I heard her tell her customers that a small crack above our garage "is a big problem" and that "that’s going to be a bad day, they better get that fixed”, and also that “the crack means a pier is missing that should be there".

What she didn't know is we've had two actual foundation professionals look at the crack and say our house does not have foundation issues, one was during a foundation inspection just three weeks prior. I'm not sure what qualified her to make these false accusations about our house. She could have picked up the phone to ask our realtor if that had been looked at, but instead she decided to present her uneducated opinion as fact.

I did escalate this issue within Redfin and asked for an apology from Nora **. The “apology” I received from Nora ** was “forgive the conversation you heard between me and my customers”, not “I’m sorry for the bold faced lies that I spread about your house without thinking about the repercussions”- like she should have said. I did also speak to the Senior VP of Operations at Redfin who apologized on behalf of their company. As I told her, "I don’t think this is the type of image your company is trying to project, however your employees are a reflection of your company and Nora **’ actions were flat out unprofessional." I’m sure the only thing she’s sorry about is that she was caught on tape. Again, Nora ** is a completely unprofessional real estate agent that doesn’t think twice about lying- beware!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

The Redfin website appraise my gorgeous 2470 sq ft. home in Roxborough Park at roughly $430,000. Their Redfin employee offered me $419,000, minus a 7% listing fee of 7%; equals 390,000. I could almost be happy with that, given all cash offers a little less. But then, I am also required to have a third party come in and perform: 1.) Sewer Scoping, 2.) Radon test, 3.) Infrared Imaging test. I can only assume the purpose for these extra tests to further jack down the offer price. Then, when I started to ask questions about these extra tests this Redfin employee quickly rescinded their all cash offer.... This home already signed off by Home Guard and the VA of Denver. It does not need any rework or other repair work. Sorry, too many red-flags trying to talk to these people....

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

Brian ** was not responsive to my messages/requests at several critical occasions, eventually 24 hours after my offer had already been expired, Brian told me “moments before you the seller received another offer. They don’t even want to give us a chance!”

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redfin?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

The agent was very nice till the end looking for houses. At the end not only did Redfin not protect my interest they did NOT hold back the money I asked to be held back for work that was not done per my email (in writing). I provided clear instructions to both of the Redfin agents managing my purchase. After closing I asked to use the money that was to be held back (per my written email) to complete work not done and they said none was held back and I should get a lawyer. A home is one of the biggest purchases in your life. Don't choose Redfin. I wish I had never used them. :( Now I having to dipping into the little savings I have left and using credit cards to pay for the work that should have been done and should have had money set aside to do. This experience has been devastating.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Found a house on REDFIN that I liked. Got an agent's assistant to show the house. The assistant stated that she may be interested if we weren't. We told the assistant, the same day, that we wanted to put in an offer. She says she'll let the agent know and we would hear from the agent shortly. Before that day she was texting and calling everyday to see what we were interested in. Three days later we haven't heard from the agent or the assistant and the house now had a pending offer. Turns out the assistant put her own offer on the house before I could.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

The listings are inaccurate. For example, prices, details, pictures are way out of date - especially for homes not currently listed. This inaccuracy has a negative effect on home owners in a given area as potential buyers are likely mislead on home values.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Under contract with a home purchase with Redfin. Listen to their agent on everything including what they recommended for title company, inspector, mortgage company, etc. Agent was very reassuring saying anything found in inspection, we can obtain a credit. After inspection, so many things were wrong including many unpermitted work. When it's time to negotiate, agent said "why you ask for so many things, after this deal, I should not be your agent", while the items were the top things that her recommended inspector flagged needed immediate attention.

Deal has to cancel this AM because seller's refused to pull permit - unpermitted part include (home extension, deck, finished basement, all electric work, hvac, plumbing). Already feel stressful and felt upset wasted all these time and money. In PM, a message from Lori **, a Redfin team manager (who I never spoke to) left a voicemail at my boyfriend's phone (who is not the home purchaser), that "Redfin cannot service us anymore". Did the cancellation executed and pass to seller? How do I get deposit back? They don't even speak to me, the home purchaser directly or have this in writing. What a ride with Redfin, stay clear. They only like you when your purchase go smoothly but incompetent in negotiating nor have the knowledge/attitude/heart to protect client's interest.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Using Redfin only works if your house can sell itself. Our agent, Chris **, came to our home once to provide us with comps. He was advertised as a agent that worked in our area, in reality he was not familiar with our community. We had to continually ask for feedback after every showing - if we didn't ask, we heard nothing. He had nothing constructive to offer, except to lower the price (which he recommended in the first place). They had one open house the first week it was on the market and another agent held that - we never saw Chris again after the first meeting. My husband and I both agree - you get what you pay for. We are currently shopping around for a local agent and plan to relist.

Redfin author review by ConsumerAffairs

Redfin was established in 2006 in the Pacific Northwest with the goal of making the real estate industry more consumer-friendly. It is a real estate brokerage website whose agents do not work on commission, and its real estate website lets consumers search MLS listings. The company now operates in most U.S. states and advertises that it has helped consumers save $300 million.

• Map search: Redfin’s map search distinguishes itself by providing users with market prices for neighborhoods within their search area. When a user searches for listing in any given city, they can hover over different areas to see the range of listing prices and the median price. This feature makes it easy for homebuyers to locate a neighborhood in their price range.

• Transportation scores: Under the neighborhood information section on every listing, Redfin includes transportation scores for walking and biking as well as access to public transportation. Buyers who do not want to own a car will find this information helpful.

• Account features: Once website visitors create a Redfin account, they can mark properties to checkout, favorite them or both.

• App: Redfin’s mobile app can send users instant updates when a new property matching their criteria is listed, meaning they see properties before potential buyers who only use an agent or browse online.

• Commission refund: Redfin agents are salaried employees who do not work on commission. They can earn bonuses based on customer satisfaction. Because agents do not work on commission, they don’t accept the commission paid by non-Redfin realtors. Instead, the commission goes to the homebuyer in the form of a refund after the buyer closes on the property.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team