1.51/5

55 Redfin Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

Real estate posted my home for sale when in fact it Was not for sale, there was a picture along with an address. Very unprofessional. I had to call them to remove the photo and was told to contact Google which I did.. Went back on the site to check it out, it had been removed. They never received permission to place the pictures online.. The house was not for sale.. SHOUld CHECK WITH OWNER before posting ERRONEOUS INFORMATION disgruntled homeowner.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Horrible customer service. Redfin listing our home at the incorrect price. I contacted them several times and asked them to fix it. They refused saying that they needed something that was impossible to supply to them. Zillow managed to fix the issue on their website within minutes. Redfin was unwilling to do anything except stonewall us.

Get expert buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Jackie ** was my assigned listing agent. First, she couldn't find parking and asked if I had any suggestions. Then, I was 5 mins late in receiving her and she was very upset about me being 5 mins late and told my sister she was a business woman and had other appointments. For being 5 mins late to greeting her and her spending 15 mins with me, it's the narrow of her job! Don't be upset if you have to go to potential clients' homes. Life happens all the time, be more patient, if not change your profession!!!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Some of the listings are fake. I submitted an inquiry to tour a home and the house isn't even for sale. They also exaggerated the square feet by double and added an extra bedroom. This site is to try to identify buyers who are not working with an agent. That's it. It's to collect your info and identify buyers. Bait and switch tactics.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Agent Marisa ** late to scheduled appointment, never called saying she would be late. Finally arrived and walk through my home. Argued with me about the amount of bedrooms. Obviously very inexperienced about the codes of basements and what is legal and not legal. As we were discussing how much she would like to put it on the market for my adult daughter happened to come home and made herself right at home at the table as we were discussing my house. The realtor agent Marisa ask me a very personal question concerning money in front of my daughter of which I was quite taken back.

She left and said she would be in touch within a day possibly to with an assessment as to how much we could sell the house for, she never contacted me. Never called, never sent an assessment, nothing!!! More than a week later I called up the corporate office. They contacted the Portland office and a supervisor called me and I asked her why didn't I receive an assessment as promised and she goes, "Oh I don't know. I didn't ask her. We will get back to you," of which she never did. Worst customer service ever. The agents get paid by the hour so they don't care if they sell your house as low as possible because they don't get a percentage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redfin?

Original review: March 2, 2019

The experience listing our home with Mike at Redfin was very frustrating. Their professional home photography was horrible. When I complained about that, our agent Mike got very angry telling me to back off and allow them to tell a story about our home using the pictures they took. Well, they told a pretty horrible story. As a result, the home hardly got shown.

At our 3 hour public open house scheduled by Mike, he managed to only only show up for a half hour of it. I was on hand for the remainder of the time to help people look through the home. Because of the poor photography and lack of marketing Mike kept recommending lowering the price significantly. We agreed to a couple of price reductions, and then cancelled the listing. We felt anyone can sell a home lowering the price to get it to sell. We hired another agent a month later who quickly sold our home for $175,000 higher than the price Mike wanted us to drop to. Our new agent used excellent photography and good marketing skills.

I subsequently learned Redfin loses money. Millions of dollars per year. I have to wonder if there is a relationship between Redfin’s attractive 1% listing fee, their buyer rebates, and losing all that money. The millions of dollars they save consumers over the years seem to be perhaps the same millions of dollars they lose. How good can that be for their investors? I recommend buyers and sellers use a profitable real estate brokerage. We ended up doing that. There’s a better chance the company will still be around if you need them down the road.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

The Agent Steven only brought us buyers that were his investor buddies who were wholesalers and wanted to flip the house buy paying us 30-40,000 less than asking. He lied to us and told us that no one was interested in the house and said the only buyers were flippers. That was a lie. We contacted some of the agents that toured the property and left cards and they said they wanted to make an offer and he told them not to bother, that we already had a full price offer. Steven Redfin in Austin TX is an investor himself and I would not be surprised if he got a kickback from his wholesaler buddies for any sales he gets them this way.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I am writing this review for real agent **. She was assigned as our buyer agent by Redfin. She gave us a lot of mis-leading information about a house and guides us go for a very high price offer. We ended up losing the close to $70,000 of house value the next day after purchase. Throughout the buying process, she was consulting and supporting the seller agent and threatening us about wrong things. She misled us to take our all contingencies from the get go. I would recommend think hundred time before you go with Redfin or use one of their real estate agents. I ended up losing a lot of my hard earned money, ended up with a wrong house and went through a lot of agony because of Adrien ** from Redfin.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

SOLD - MSL 1981826!!! I have bought and sold houses with a traditional agent but never write reviews because it was less than my expectation! So this time we interviewed several agents from traditional and non-traditional eventually decided to go with Scott. Professional photos were taken and 3D layout was made, we met him twice, first when he pitched and the second time at the closing BUT Scott responded to the texts in within a min! Very responsive, even weekends!! Our listing was on every website except Zillow but we added ourselves we knew upfront. There were several showings, buyer agents were from a boutique, national companies, and Redfin.

House was under contract a little bit over a month, buyer's agent was from the boutique agency, Scott provided strong negotiation at the price we were happy with. The closing was a little bumpy because of buyer's financing which delayed 3 weeks from the schedule but Scott kept us informed almost every day, all our questions were answered sincerely. Once we got the clear to close, there was no issue at all! Scott was amazing!!! If you are in Nashville and looking for a realtor, I highly recommend Scott!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I am writing this review for the exceptional work my realtor Katie ** provided me in selling my home on Sunkist Drive, Oakland, CA. I am an Oakland resident for over forty years, a senior, and homeowner for 18 yrs. When my husband died in 2014, my whole world collapsed and the prospect of selling my home without help and downsizing to a smaller place was a stressful prospect.

One morning on my porch was an envelope that changed my life, an introduction realtor package from Katie **. Katie provided the expertise in organizing the paperwork needed to get me through the first months. Katie's patience, understanding and outstanding marketing skills kept me informed every step of the way and made my life a little easier. After the close of escrow, she provided me emailed housing updates. I thank Katie with all my heart and recommend her highly for the outstanding job she provided me throughout the whole process.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

When I first contact Redfin, I was assigned a real estate agent. The real estate agent never told me how the process of Redfin works. I’m thinking that he would send me listings of houses, make appointments of the one that I like and then meet me at the location for the tour of the house. This was not the case at all. I had to look on their website, pick a house and go through the automated process of scheduling a date to tour the home. Once the date was confirmed, there was another realtor that showed up at the house. In one instance, I was scheduled to tour the house.

When I got there, there were three other realtors there and NOT my realtor. When I proceeded to tour the house I got harassed and felt very uncomfortable as they were asking me a lot of questions in which I feel that my assigned agent and I should have discussed. By the time the tour was over a half an hour later, my assigned agent shows up. That was the first and last time I ever saw him. After that, when wanted to see a house I emailed him, either he was available on the days I was not or he was not available on the days I was. Sellers beware of listing your home with Redfin. They lock your home into their process and really do not let other realtors outside of Redfin show your property so that your home can be sold but only through Redfin.

This was a very bad experience for me. When I gave them a poor rating before and asked that I be assigned another agent, I scheduled for another home tour and received the appointment, but on the day of the appointment another real estate agent from Redfin said that the manager of Redfin canceled my appointment. No one told me and I was on my way to view the property. I called the manager and he said the reason why it was canceled was because I gave them a poor rating. This is against the law and considered retaliation which is illegal. Please do not do business with this company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have no idea why a company would post your house for sale on their website without your consent? And after you call them and ask them professionally to remove the listing they tell you that they have no control over removing the listing because it comes directly from the county you live in!!! But the representative I spoke with was able to remove the pictures of my house listing. That is very strange. This company, like other ones like it, must be stopped from acting this way. How is it that they can do these things and still stay in business, where as if any business that make the simplest mistake can be sued and bankrupted and fined???

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Very misleading! I used Redfin for my home search and purchase. I was assigned to a partner agent. I continued to use the same Redfin site and tools to search for properties. Therefore I would consider myself a Redfin client. My agent did what she could to help. I ended closing on a home and at the end I was denied a refund.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

As of June 2017, if you list your home for sale with Redfin, they block other websites from showing it as listed. In other words, they want to sell your home only on their own website and no other place. This greatly lowers your chances of selling your house.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My house has been listed for 6 months on the MLS and Redfin is the only site that shows it as a short sale. It is NOT a short sale. My realtor and I have contacted them several times to get this changed and they have refuse to change it. My realtor has sent them the MLS form that clearly shows that it is not a short sale, but they don't believe it. I suggest if you have a listing with them, check all the details and good luck if something is incorrect.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Wanted to list with Redfin last May, she Ellen came out and said house was worth $300000, left and did not do anything again until end of July, but during that time had many many many mistakes from this agent, photos not taken, photo people show up with no warning, listing not listed, then listed when not suppose to. Unable to schedule any open houses until after 5 on Fridays but then complained when no one showed up. Got mixed messages that the agents found house unlocked with windows opened, when they are the only one with keys and I am 3000 miles away. Changed agent but stuck with Redfin, dropped price of house $50000, had three offers, $15000 to $25000 below asking price and wanting me to pay all closing, Redfin agent never tried once to negotiate, she would tell the other agents to low ball me and I would accept the offer, when I refused she just stopped talking to me.

But even worse was again mixed messages, again a holiday weekend, they refused to drop the contract a week early so had to wait until Thanksgiving to have contract dropped, had rental agent agree to pick up keys from them, Redfin refused to show up but write that they no longer have the keys to the house, took the house off market 2 days early but did not let me do it 7 days early, did it on a holiday weekend, and refuse to answer where the keys are since they refused to show up and give keys to rental agent.

This is the worst company I ever worked with both agents lied to me many many times, both agents refused to return phone calls, neither ever went to the house after the first look and continued to not fight for a fair price. I am 3000 miles away and have no idea who has the house keys, if the house is secure or why they refuse to answer phone calls or text on a holiday after they refused to give keys to rental agent during the time they set up, yet send an email that the keys were turned over to them, but the rental agent swears they never got the keys and Redfin canceled on them.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I listed our home with Redfin. The seller's agent receives a salary & did not advocate for me at all with buyers. I had to write the MLS listing & got the worst advice & service. They are not helpful.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I think that Redfin is great for Millenials and not too much for other generations. First of all, the Millenial generation (like me) use the internet heavily and like to do things by his/herself. Redfin has no hand-holding and mostly does all the paperwork for you. You can go on practically unlimited homes and tour them without feeling pressured. Why? Because they have separate Touring Agents that handle the touring for you. Then you have your assigned agent who does the negotiations and paperwork. Your assigned agent, however, does not do any hand-holding so be prepared to do a lot of research yourself on buying a home. Meaning, you should be hyper aware of what to look for when you purchase a home, because no one will tell you.

The role of a traditional real estate agent is someone that will talk to you, get to know you and your goals, almost like a financial advisor, and figure out your tastes. Then the agent usually takes you around in his or her car (may differ in some cities/states) and become almost like your friend or business partner. They will look at a home and immediately advise you whether this home is a "bad purchase" or a "good investment" because they can spot the problems right away that a non-professional cannot, like if there's a slight bulge in the ceiling they'll know there was a roof leak. That means you should discount the purchase price or avoid it altogether. A traditional agent will do a lot of hand-holding like this.

A Redfin agent is more like a secretary and you won't hear much from him or her, let alone the person advise you or even go see the home you are about to purchase (no kidding). So if you are good at doing your research and know what to look for before purchasing, know how to negotiate, then go with Redfin. Possible dangers are that, due to your lack of experience, you may buy a home that you don't really like. You could make an argument that the Inspection Report should tell you everything.

But sometimes, there are things like noise that you didn't anticipate (living next to a freeway), or perhaps the home was facing east-west and there's a lot of sunlight which raised your energy bill twofold than a north-south facing home. These are problems not listed in the Inspection Report but more of a Lifestyle Choice Problem that a Traditional Agent would've caught on early and advised you not to purchase such a home, that a Redfin agent would NOT tell you. If you're using Redfin because you want to save a $1-2k for that commission, which is <1% or 0.5% of the list price, it is NOT WORTH IT. If you are an experienced investor or have a family member that's a real estate agent in another state that can't help you in the paperwork because they're not licensed in that state but can help you with advice, then go with Redfin.

To put it simply, it's like you have to diagnose whether a patient as a cold, a flu, or something more serious like cancer by using the internet and no experience. Redfin is like the secretary working at the hospital that can help you order the lab tests and get the syringes and call the nurse, but cannot diagnose or help you diagnose the patient. A traditional agent is like a medical doctor. He will come look at the patient, and instantly know based on his years in medical school and as a doctor, what tests to order to figure out the patient's problem. So you are taking a gamble. If you misdiagnose, the patient may die. In terms of real estate, if you didn't do your research well or had any experience, you may have purchased a home you will end up not liking.

So go with Redfin if you have some real estate experience, trust in yourself to do the research, or have a friend/family member in real estate and save some $$... or go with a traditional agent that can handle everything for you. I went with Redfin and it was fantastic. Was able to get tours in all the time, even same day, or 3 hours from now. Had no pressure whatsoever because the Redfin agents DO NOT work for commission but work for GOOD REVIEWS. So you know they are representing you the most, not making you put in a higher offer so they can get a higher % of the commission.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Redfin told me on the phone that since I took my house off the market and obtained a current VA appraisal on my house that their revised "Redfin Estimate" will stand at $9,000 less than the VA's and $20,000 less their online estimate a few months ago while I was listing the house. The locations of their square foot comparison houses are known for violent crime rates, and our 7,000+ lot was also unimportant. Redfin has no plan of incorporating our current VA appraisal, home improvements and lot size into their comparative model. We will use a MIBOR realtor when we are ready to sell and update this complaint.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I was purchasing a house in 2015 with a Redfin agent. She pushed me to remove all contingencies when I had no idea what I was signing. After the deal fell apart she ran away and nobody from Redfin ever answered me. After 3 years I still haven't received my deposit of 27k. After spending a lot of times I found out Redfin does that with a lot of customers. I'm collecting emails so we can file an action lawsuit. If this happened to you please email me at **.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

The Redfin realtors put a lock pad on your door with keys in it, then they give the access code to random "realtors" who just show up at your house with people and go through your home. First 3 appointments for showing we clean entire home, get the family out, wait 1-2 hours and then go home, the first 3 times turns out no one even showed up, but our Redfin realtor does not even tell us this because he is NOT EVEN AWARE IF THEY DID OR NOT? Then to really top this off, there was another "no show" and it's extremely frustrating.

We never were even made aware, but guess what, 2 hours later someones beating on the door??? Nicely tell them you had a scheduled time earlier today you did not show up, I'm sorry to turn you away but my family and I are home and we are doing dinner, shower, work tomorrow all that. I get met with extremely rude "OH SO YOU DONT WANNA SELL YOUR HOUSE THEN?" The people they must be letting in your homes, something is NOT RIGHT with this entire situation. Please God stay away or stay home when people show up.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I had a very terrible experience with Matt **, real estate agent with Redfin. There are several problems with him. First of all, he never picks up his phone and most of the time his voicemail is full and you cannot leave a message. Secondly he does not have your best interest in mind. Thirdly, you will never see him after the initial contact. Fourth, don’t count on him on any help or suggestions to sell your home faster or at best price.

I recently sold my home through Matt ** and had a terrible experience. It took 7 months to sell my house while neighborhood houses sold in less than a month’s time. To begin with he listed my house $10K above market. My neighbor’s house similar to mine was listed at 10K less expect that mine had a few upgrades but not worth more than 5K. I told him that I wanted to list my house at same price as my neighbor but he insisted that my house is worth more and listed it for 10K more. My neighbor’s house sold within 2 weeks after I listed and then too he did not let me drop the price. Finally, after a month dropped the price by 10K and then another 10K after 3 months when I had no offers. He wanted me to drop another 5 to 10K which I refused.

I asked him time and again what can I do for the house to get an offer and he just suggested dropping the price. I had a real estate agent friend visiting from California and he suggested if I have new appliances and make small changes to the house, it will sell like quickly. I heeded his advice and made small improvements and got the offer for the house within 2 weeks. I did not have to get new appliances. After the offer, we negotiated and Matt told me to accept a low offer and threatened me that if I did not accept the offer the buyer will walk off. I did not accept the price Matt wanted me to accept and finally got better price.

Week before the closing Matt sent me an escape clause document to DocuSign, I refused to sign an escape clause document a week before closing when all paperwork was already done and he yelled at me to sign the escape clause document. Very unprofessional. And during closing I gave him the power to represent me during closing and he gave $600 credit from my money to buyer without taking my permission. I would not recommend anybody to hire Matt **. My recommendation get an agent who would work for you and not against you. Matt does not care about you. During the entire 7 months listing I saw him only once and he was never ever available when I needed to discuss.

Redfin agents do not get commission so they do not care how much your house sells for and do not have your interest in mind. They just want to do more turnover than getting property sold for optimal price. My advice don’t go with Matt **. If I had the option I would give him 0 stars. I tried to put the review on Zillow and Zillow is not accepting review since I gave it 1 star.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

She showed us many homes, but in the end she was not experienced to show or sell Million dollar homes. She wrote offers without pulling comps, or looking at disclosures. She was lazy, stating she only pulls comps when she feels it's time. Every time we saw her she dressed like a ** looking for a man. She does not know what she's doing and wasted our time.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Jodan **- "No knowledge on millions of dollar homes and she doesn't do her homework on comps and home disclosures before submitting an offer. It's better to look for an experienced realtor and that could understand upscale buyers." Stay away from her and she's a thief. She wants to charge client $500 each time she shows you a property.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

As of June 2017, if you list your home for sale with Redfin, they hide your house from potential buyers, if those buyers are visitors of competing websites. For example, Redfin listed homes will not show up on Zillow. They want to sell only to Redfin.com visitors. Systematic dishonesty. This will hurt you as a seller.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I came to Tennessee to find my dream home. I signed up with Jerry ** with Redfin. I found the house. It wasn’t built yet what the Regent builders. I was told by the contractor Robert and by Jerry that even know that was a lot of work to had to be done to the place and had a warranty and that was at the walk-through. I’ve been in the house since May 2018 and I’ve had nothing but problems and the warranty people it means nothing. My floors are coming up in all different rooms.

Original review: July 14, 2018

If you want to get a low ball price that your house is worth and are desperate to see your house then use Redfin. The agent we had said nothing nice about our home. Wanted to list is for 25000 less than where it currently sits. But the worst part was his attitude. "I don’t have to sell your house and they have you to me for a reason. We can list your house at your price for 2 weeks but if nothing we lower it and if not I will delist it." He was an arrogant bully! Of course anyone can sell houses when you slap a giant take my house because it is so low sign on it! They lower their commission to get you to sign the papers and they have a 10000 swing on the price compared to other agents. All I say is you get what you pay for! Never ever will recommend or use Redfin for nothing more than lack of professionalism and attitude. Absolutely no customer service!!!

Original review: July 7, 2018

I had a superb experience with Redfin. I bought a townhome in Seattle's Central District with agent Grant **. Since I was still working in San Francisco before starting a new job in Seattle, the Redfin website allowed me to zoom into the exact location where I wanted to be. As soon as a property showed up, I was able to gauge its quality. Luckily, the photos on the property I was interested in were not very good (the sellers had not staged it). But Redfin had photos on other townhomes in the same development and I was able to see the high quality of the construction. Even without visiting the place, I made an offer, and flew a few days later for the inspection (as I had kept this contingency). The Redfin agent recommended an inspector who was very thorough and who commented on the good quality of the home and also stated that the two car garage on the property was unusual for the neighborhood.

I bought it, lived in it when I moved to Seattle weeks later, and have obtained a 30% asset appreciation in 3 years. Now, I am using their services again to buy a house a bit farther away from downtown with agent Kathleen **, and am in the closing stage. She has been superb so far. One thing to note is that Redfin is so popular here in Seattle that an agent might be representing more than one client for the same property. In this case, it is better to be clear as to which house you are really interested in, and how far you are prepared to go to win the ensuing multiple offer battle.

Original review: May 28, 2018

In late 2017, we explored having Redfin list our home. The Agent said, she could only sell our home for 699k - we thankfully passed and went with a traditional agent who has been marketing our home for 175k more. And it appraised for that value. We took our house off the market for several months and now it’s back on the market. Redfin will schedule a tour and do what they call an “insight review” - an insight that is not solicited and done in such a way that you would think they are a potential buyer. Sound tricky, yes, we think so.

We read their, mechanically illwritten “insight” and know that the agent was only at our property for less than 10 min! And we are flabbergasted with what it says. Redfin is intrusive and known price lowballers all in spirit to make a sale. No collaboration with the customer and quite honestly, that’s why they only charge 1% for their terrible service. If you want to fantastically waste your time, do contact them and find yourself in the end, switching to a traditional real estate agent.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I used Redfin to sell my current house and a traditional agent to buy my new house. It really helped me to see the difference in the service I should be receiving. The first Redfin agent never called or emailed me back after our first meeting. We were assigned a new agent who did not have the best communication either. There were many people on our "team" which made it feel very disjointed. I complained to the "manager" and he basically told me that my seller's agent (non-Redfin) probably only has 2-3 clients, while Redfin agents have 10-12 so they simply don't have as much time to devote to each customer. That was all I needed to hear. Will never be using them again or recommending them.

Redfin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Redfin was established in 2006 in the Pacific Northwest with the goal of making the real estate industry more consumer-friendly. It is a real estate brokerage website whose agents do not work on commission, and its real estate website lets consumers search MLS listings. The company now operates in most U.S. states and advertises that it has helped consumers save $300 million.

• Map search: Redfin’s map search distinguishes itself by providing users with market prices for neighborhoods within their search area. When a user searches for listing in any given city, they can hover over different areas to see the range of listing prices and the median price. This feature makes it easy for homebuyers to locate a neighborhood in their price range.

• Transportation scores: Under the neighborhood information section on every listing, Redfin includes transportation scores for walking and biking as well as access to public transportation. Buyers who do not want to own a car will find this information helpful.

• Account features: Once website visitors create a Redfin account, they can mark properties to checkout, favorite them or both.

• App: Redfin’s mobile app can send users instant updates when a new property matching their criteria is listed, meaning they see properties before potential buyers who only use an agent or browse online.

• Commission refund: Redfin agents are salaried employees who do not work on commission. They can earn bonuses based on customer satisfaction. Because agents do not work on commission, they don’t accept the commission paid by non-Redfin realtors. Instead, the commission goes to the homebuyer in the form of a refund after the buyer closes on the property.

• Best for: Redfin is best for all potential homebuyers who are concerned with customer service and cost savings.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs