2. Moving
  3. Real Estate Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.17/5

Redfin Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redfin?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redfin?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Generally speaking, I would not recommend Redfin (and specifically in my setting of searching for a home). Background, I started my home search in the greater Seattle/Puget Sound area with a pre-approval in hand from a reputable local lender. The app will "assign" you to an agent as soon as you create an account, this is fine, but does not allow for a real business relationship - specifically because the initial agent never reached out to me learn more about what I was looking for in a property, etc.

The first agent that was assigned to me was nice enough, but had <5 years in the local market - the last ~5-10 years in the Seattle/Puget Sound market have been intense, but there are pockets of the market (i.e. condos) that still behave in a somewhat more rational way - and long-time residents of the region (such as myself) have some intuitive understanding of reasonable property values (not just what the seller would HOPE to get from the property...). Long story short, I asked my Redfin agent what his advice for an offer would be that I thought was priced too high - his recommendation was to come in ~$3k under asking, I disagreed and wanted to think it over a bit longer. Within the week, the list price dropped ~$25K.

The advice of my agent potentially could have cost me >$20K - therefore, I could no longer trust this particular agent to have his "finger on the pulse" of the market. Additionally, he frequently had the automatic response of "I think the list price is fair" to every request for professional advice/input - without him doing any actual review or critical thinking about the property in question. I requested to switch agents with the Seattle Redfin Office/Lead Broker and was assigned to a new agent with ~20 years experience in the local market.

During our very first call, the very first thing she wants to talk about is that she thinks my lender (who already pre-approved my loan request) may "take too long to close" and put any offers in jeopardy - BUT most strikingly she "kindly" offered to provide her own recommendations of lenders... Although I cannot be sure, the whole conversation struck me as very suspicious - eroding my trust in her as well (from the very first conversation she had with me) - and leading me to believe she was acting in her own best interests, likely had some sort of referral bonus situation, and was neglecting her fiduciary duty to act in the buyer's best interest. To be quite honest, I have gotten more market information and helpful guidance from my loan officer than from ANY of the Redfin representatives.

Again, generally speaking, I am not able to recommend Redfin as a real estate brokerage. They have great, slick marketing that reels you in, and the iPhone app is genuinely easy to use... but once you get SERIOUS about purchasing homes - the real estate agent experience/helpfulness/kindness drops significantly and the brokerage DOES NOT live up to their fancy advertising/marketing schemes. Once you are working with them, it feels like you are working with bad car salesperson...

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

Extremely rude and unprofessional ... I tried to set up an appointment and Stephany **/Redfin License Colorado, was pushy, rude and unprofessional. She refused to talk to me over the phone and tried to force me to use Zoom so she can do a presentation of some sort. When I asked to use email or phone she became rude and unprofessional.

Get buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Buyers Agent Daniela ** NJ is irresponsible. She didn’t bother to call to cancel the appointment. Our agent had to call and check if she and her clients were running late for the showing. That’s when she said she is canceling. If our agent hadn't reached out to her she would have never called to cancel. It’s ok to cancel but it’s irresponsible to not call to cancel. At least have the decency to call in advance to cancel! We had to prepare our home and manage the children’s schedule for a no show!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Redfin stated that if you buy and sell through them then you’ll receive 0.50% rebate on the selling commission paid to Redfin on the sale of your property. Good luck collecting that money! I was told that I Would receive the refund within 30 days of closing on the property I purchase with them. I am now at 60 days without any sign of it. When trying to deal with their corporate staff they are unresponsive and actually delete tweets and Facebook posts that dare to mention negative feedback. It should be noted that both my listing and purchasing agent were great but the corporate staff have no clue as to client service.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I had great experience with Redfin, Get access to deep liquidity in hundreds of currency pairs, efficient and effective execution, and full insight into your trade decisions with FX Trading. You’ll trade smarter, faster, and safer via aggregated trading venues and an end-to-end electronic workflow. **

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

Horrible service, they are just interested in collecting information and make you sign documents and then flip on their claims. We were interested in property and connected with them to see model homes, and connected with agent Steven **. We were told that it is available and scheduled a visit, they asked us to fill and sign PEAD form, and after all done they told that model homes aren'' available and just drive by the place and see it yourself. Beware of them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

They have the worst service ever. So our tour was supposed to start at 1:30pm and we received a confirmation message from them that the tour of the house will start within an hour. So we reached all the way to Issaquah from Redmond to tour the house. On reaching there we when we called our agent David **. He said that he was extremely sorry and that they forgot to send another agent in his place and there was no one available for the tour. There was another home on the tour all the way in Kirkland so we inquired about that and asked if we can still tour that.

He said that he will fix us up with an associate agent and asked us to reach there by 2 pm. When we reached there and called him, he said he was again extremely sorry but there was no agent available on the site and that the other agent will take a while to reach us there. We asked for options and he said that he could cancel the tour and just reschedule for 4:15 pm if that was ok with us.

We still decided to give it a shot since we had already traveled so much and really liked the house. We said yes and returned at 4:15 pm only to find out again that the tour has been canceled and this time our agent David did not even pick up our call. We called the other number in the message and they would not send any other agent in his place. They were extremely rude and insensitive to our situation and unwilling to help. Beware of Redfin and some of its agents as ours has been a horrendous experience with them.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

My experience with Shannon ** talking over the phone was horrendous. I was trying to see the listing. I don't have a pre-approval letter. They requested it all, just for an apartment showing. She was obviously extremely angry. Reason? She probably just can talk like this because she is really cool having her position there. Dealing with this? Not even this she just hung up on me. Oh these foreigners. Total disrespect. Who wants to deal with this? I don't recommend this service to anybody. It's really sad to say. I thought they are way much better.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Elizabeth **, the seller's agent made the transaction very difficult. We were the homebuyers and I couldn't help but feel bad for the sellers for being stuck with such a bad sellers agent. She put us and the sellers thru the wringer and stressed everyone out with mal-informed decisions and unnecessary threats. First she listed the property over-value. Then when it didn't sell she listed undervalue. When we bid on the house for the asking price and the appraisal came in lower, she blatantly accused us (buyers) of playing her when we offered the appraisal value. After being told that we would be a day late on closing almost 5 days in advance, she threatened us with a breach of contract.

At the same time, she told her clients (sellers) to show up on original closing day at the title office and made them drive 20 miles each way for nothing. She stood them up. Throughout the transaction, she sent a barrage of rude emails and texts of a threatening demeanor. I cannot stress how badly everyone was treated in this deal. I would not recommend Redfin to anyone and much less Elizabeth **. The incentives for these people to do their job is frankly not there. If I had to do it all over again, I'd avoid any Redfin property.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have been buying and selling real estate since 2005. I have used several real estate apps. Redfin was an app that I used but it has gotten so bad and frustrating to use. When you go to search homes for sale it shows sold. When you put in your search area and save your search it doesn't show all the homes for sale. I don't know who is running their app but they need to fix it. I use Zillow also and this app is much better.

Redfin author review by ConsumerAffairs

Redfin was established in 2006 in the Pacific Northwest with the goal of making the real estate industry more consumer-friendly. It is a real estate brokerage website whose agents do not work on commission, and its real estate website lets consumers search MLS listings. The company now operates in most U.S. states and advertises that it has helped consumers save $300 million.

• Map search: Redfin’s map search distinguishes itself by providing users with market prices for neighborhoods within their search area. When a user searches for listing in any given city, they can hover over different areas to see the range of listing prices and the median price. This feature makes it easy for homebuyers to locate a neighborhood in their price range.

• Transportation scores: Under the neighborhood information section on every listing, Redfin includes transportation scores for walking and biking as well as access to public transportation. Buyers who do not want to own a car will find this information helpful.

• Account features: Once website visitors create a Redfin account, they can mark properties to checkout, favorite them or both.

• App: Redfin’s mobile app can send users instant updates when a new property matching their criteria is listed, meaning they see properties before potential buyers who only use an agent or browse online.

• Commission refund: Redfin agents are salaried employees who do not work on commission. They can earn bonuses based on customer satisfaction. Because agents do not work on commission, they don’t accept the commission paid by non-Redfin realtors. Instead, the commission goes to the homebuyer in the form of a refund after the buyer closes on the property.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team