2. Moving
  3. Real Estate Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.90/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Redfin Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redfin?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redfin?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

They have the worst service ever. So our tour was supposed to start at 1:30pm and we received a confirmation message from them that the tour of the house will start within an hour. So we reached all the way to Issaquah from Redmond to tour the house. On reaching there we when we called our agent David **. He said that he was extremely sorry and that they forgot to send another agent in his place and there was no one available for the tour. There was another home on the tour all the way in Kirkland so we inquired about that and asked if we can still tour that.

He said that he will fix us up with an associate agent and asked us to reach there by 2 pm. When we reached there and called him, he said he was again extremely sorry but there was no agent available on the site and that the other agent will take a while to reach us there. We asked for options and he said that he could cancel the tour and just reschedule for 4:15 pm if that was ok with us.

We still decided to give it a shot since we had already traveled so much and really liked the house. We said yes and returned at 4:15 pm only to find out again that the tour has been canceled and this time our agent David did not even pick up our call. We called the other number in the message and they would not send any other agent in his place. They were extremely rude and insensitive to our situation and unwilling to help. Beware of Redfin and some of its agents as ours has been a horrendous experience with them.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

My experience with Shannon ** talking over the phone was horrendous. I was trying to see the listing. I don't have a pre-approval letter. They requested it all, just for an apartment showing. She was obviously extremely angry. Reason? She probably just can talk like this because she is really cool having her position there. Dealing with this? Not even this she just hung up on me. Oh these foreigners. Total disrespect. Who wants to deal with this? I don't recommend this service to anybody. It's really sad to say. I thought they are way much better.

Get buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Elizabeth **, the seller's agent made the transaction very difficult. We were the homebuyers and I couldn't help but feel bad for the sellers for being stuck with such a bad sellers agent. She put us and the sellers thru the wringer and stressed everyone out with mal-informed decisions and unnecessary threats. First she listed the property over-value. Then when it didn't sell she listed undervalue. When we bid on the house for the asking price and the appraisal came in lower, she blatantly accused us (buyers) of playing her when we offered the appraisal value. After being told that we would be a day late on closing almost 5 days in advance, she threatened us with a breach of contract.

At the same time, she told her clients (sellers) to show up on original closing day at the title office and made them drive 20 miles each way for nothing. She stood them up. Throughout the transaction, she sent a barrage of rude emails and texts of a threatening demeanor. I cannot stress how badly everyone was treated in this deal. I would not recommend Redfin to anyone and much less Elizabeth **. The incentives for these people to do their job is frankly not there. If I had to do it all over again, I'd avoid any Redfin property.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have been buying and selling real estate since 2005. I have used several real estate apps. Redfin was an app that I used but it has gotten so bad and frustrating to use. When you go to search homes for sale it shows sold. When you put in your search area and save your search it doesn't show all the homes for sale. I don't know who is running their app but they need to fix it. I use Zillow also and this app is much better.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Working with Redfin agents has been less than pleasant. One Redfin agent caused us a delayed closing after wells of trying to get a termite report. Another Redfin agent required an offer deadline and has been unreachable since. Very unprofessional and makes our profession look bad.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Slack, lackadaisical, lazy, worthless. My Redfin agent was a complete hack, provided ZERO guidance. My listing has been on the market for almost 60 days and he has made no effort to proactively reach out. I am driving each interaction. Every real estate agent I have worked with in the past has at the very last made an effort to communicate status, next steps, etc. These redfin agents are completely passive and do not take any proactive steps to help you sell your home. I would strongly advise against using redfin to sell your home. Pay the extra 1% and get a real agent.

Original review: May 25, 2020

The selling agent's communication was less than desirable. He only communicated when it came to closing and for him to receive his commission. His failure to communicate with us and with the contractor his client hired continuously caused delays in our move. Redfin only cares about receiving their money and has no interest in helping people. It took numerous attempts to get any answers from him if he answered at all. Part of the purchase agreement required the seller to replace all the plumbing. After a contentious discussion about finding their own plumber, the seller decided to go with our choice of plumbers but refused to close until after the work was completed. The contract was between the seller and the plumber and therefore we were unable to effectuate any discussions regarding the work and timing. The agent was given all of the time frames, updates etc and failed to disclose any of the information to the plumber.

This caused us delays in being able to move and undue stress. Part of the contract also required the seller to pay for five days rent back, $300 for paint and to pay for the sheet rock repair. It took numerous attempts to finally get a response from the agent that the money was at the title company. We were told after business hours on a Friday before a long weekend.

One more issue. At the time we were supposed to receive keys to our home, he provided the wrong code to the lock box and then did not respond to my agent for several hours, again causing delay. The only time the agent was responsive was during the time to confirm closing which leads me to believe Redfin only cares about getting their money and they do as little work as possible to facilitate the transaction. I would highly recommend against buying or selling a home with Redfin. This process is stressful enough and with the COVID 19 additional stress, the entire process was difficult. It was made even more difficult because of the lack of professionalism of this selling agent at Redfin.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I have no experience in actually being a customer of Redfin’s, however the experience I had with their agent Nora ** guaranteed that I never will be - and I recommend you don’t hire Redfin either, but specifically don’t hire Nora **. Nora ** showed our house which is listed by our agent, not her, on March 15, 2020, On our Ring doorbell I heard her tell her customers that a small crack above our garage "is a big problem" and that "that’s going to be a bad day, they better get that fixed”, and also that “the crack means a pier is missing that should be there".

What she didn't know is we've had two actual foundation professionals look at the crack and say our house does not have foundation issues, one was during a foundation inspection just three weeks prior. I'm not sure what qualified her to make these false accusations about our house. She could have picked up the phone to ask our realtor if that had been looked at, but instead she decided to present her uneducated opinion as fact.

I did escalate this issue within Redfin and asked for an apology from Nora **. The “apology” I received from Nora ** was “forgive the conversation you heard between me and my customers”, not “I’m sorry for the bold faced lies that I spread about your house without thinking about the repercussions”- like she should have said. I did also speak to the Senior VP of Operations at Redfin who apologized on behalf of their company. As I told her, "I don’t think this is the type of image your company is trying to project, however your employees are a reflection of your company and Nora **’ actions were flat out unprofessional." I’m sure the only thing she’s sorry about is that she was caught on tape. Again, Nora ** is a completely unprofessional real estate agent that doesn’t think twice about lying- beware!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

The Redfin website appraise my gorgeous 2470 sq ft. home in Roxborough Park at roughly $430,000. Their Redfin employee offered me $419,000, minus a 7% listing fee of 7%; equals 390,000. I could almost be happy with that, given all cash offers a little less. But then, I am also required to have a third party come in and perform: 1.) Sewer Scoping, 2.) Radon test, 3.) Infrared Imaging test. I can only assume the purpose for these extra tests to further jack down the offer price. Then, when I started to ask questions about these extra tests this Redfin employee quickly rescinded their all cash offer.... This home already signed off by Home Guard and the VA of Denver. It does not need any rework or other repair work. Sorry, too many red-flags trying to talk to these people....

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

Brian ** was not responsive to my messages/requests at several critical occasions, eventually 24 hours after my offer had already been expired, Brian told me “moments before you the seller received another offer. They don’t even want to give us a chance!”

Redfin author review by ConsumerAffairs

Redfin was established in 2006 in the Pacific Northwest with the goal of making the real estate industry more consumer-friendly. It is a real estate brokerage website whose agents do not work on commission, and its real estate website lets consumers search MLS listings. The company now operates in most U.S. states and advertises that it has helped consumers save $300 million.

• Map search: Redfin’s map search distinguishes itself by providing users with market prices for neighborhoods within their search area. When a user searches for listing in any given city, they can hover over different areas to see the range of listing prices and the median price. This feature makes it easy for homebuyers to locate a neighborhood in their price range.

• Transportation scores: Under the neighborhood information section on every listing, Redfin includes transportation scores for walking and biking as well as access to public transportation. Buyers who do not want to own a car will find this information helpful.

• Account features: Once website visitors create a Redfin account, they can mark properties to checkout, favorite them or both.

• App: Redfin’s mobile app can send users instant updates when a new property matching their criteria is listed, meaning they see properties before potential buyers who only use an agent or browse online.

• Commission refund: Redfin agents are salaried employees who do not work on commission. They can earn bonuses based on customer satisfaction. Because agents do not work on commission, they don’t accept the commission paid by non-Redfin realtors. Instead, the commission goes to the homebuyer in the form of a refund after the buyer closes on the property.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team