Need a home warranty?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.83/5

68 Redfin Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

Reggie couldn't have been more thoughtful and helpful. Even though we decided not to make an offer on the homes that he showed us, he was helpful and very understanding. He made us feel like his primary priority was for us to feel comfortable with our decision. If you are looking for an efficient, caring and knowledgeable agent he is it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I tried a few real estate agents including Long & Foster and Redfin, and Redfin outperformed in every measure by far. Anthony ** in the Northern VA area was exceptional and set the bar high. He is dependable, trustworthy, kind, courteous, humble, easygoing, responsible, strategic, informative, and communicative. Anthony responded immediately to any questions, issues, and concerns. He always provided insightful advice and helpful feedback while searching for houses, setting bids, and finalizing transactions. Anthony followed through in every process to the last detail, and ensured everything was addressed and resolved in a timely manner. He assisted in ways beyond expectation and should be rewarded and promoted. I have gladly recommended him to all who are in the housing market, and I look forward to working with him again!

Get expert buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

SOLD - MSL 1981826!!! I have bought and sold houses with a traditional agent but never write reviews because it was less than my expectation! So this time we interviewed several agents from traditional and non-traditional eventually decided to go with Scott. Professional photos were taken and 3D layout was made, we met him twice, first when he pitched and the second time at the closing BUT Scott responded to the texts in within a min! Very responsive, even weekends!! Our listing was on every website except Zillow but we added ourselves we knew upfront. There were several showings, buyer agents were from a boutique, national companies, and Redfin.

House was under contract a little bit over a month, buyer's agent was from the boutique agency, Scott provided strong negotiation at the price we were happy with. The closing was a little bumpy because of buyer's financing which delayed 3 weeks from the schedule but Scott kept us informed almost every day, all our questions were answered sincerely. Once we got the clear to close, there was no issue at all! Scott was amazing!!! If you are in Nashville and looking for a realtor, I highly recommend Scott!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I am writing this review for the exceptional work my realtor Katie ** provided me in selling my home on Sunkist Drive, Oakland, CA. I am an Oakland resident for over forty years, a senior, and homeowner for 18 yrs. When my husband died in 2014, my whole world collapsed and the prospect of selling my home without help and downsizing to a smaller place was a stressful prospect.

One morning on my porch was an envelope that changed my life, an introduction realtor package from Katie **. Katie provided the expertise in organizing the paperwork needed to get me through the first months. Katie's patience, understanding and outstanding marketing skills kept me informed every step of the way and made my life a little easier. After the close of escrow, she provided me emailed housing updates. I thank Katie with all my heart and recommend her highly for the outstanding job she provided me throughout the whole process.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I think that Redfin is great for Millenials and not too much for other generations. First of all, the Millenial generation (like me) use the internet heavily and like to do things by his/herself. Redfin has no hand-holding and mostly does all the paperwork for you. You can go on practically unlimited homes and tour them without feeling pressured. Why? Because they have separate Touring Agents that handle the touring for you. Then you have your assigned agent who does the negotiations and paperwork. Your assigned agent, however, does not do any hand-holding so be prepared to do a lot of research yourself on buying a home. Meaning, you should be hyper aware of what to look for when you purchase a home, because no one will tell you.

The role of a traditional real estate agent is someone that will talk to you, get to know you and your goals, almost like a financial advisor, and figure out your tastes. Then the agent usually takes you around in his or her car (may differ in some cities/states) and become almost like your friend or business partner. They will look at a home and immediately advise you whether this home is a "bad purchase" or a "good investment" because they can spot the problems right away that a non-professional cannot, like if there's a slight bulge in the ceiling they'll know there was a roof leak. That means you should discount the purchase price or avoid it altogether. A traditional agent will do a lot of hand-holding like this.

A Redfin agent is more like a secretary and you won't hear much from him or her, let alone the person advise you or even go see the home you are about to purchase (no kidding). So if you are good at doing your research and know what to look for before purchasing, know how to negotiate, then go with Redfin. Possible dangers are that, due to your lack of experience, you may buy a home that you don't really like. You could make an argument that the Inspection Report should tell you everything.

But sometimes, there are things like noise that you didn't anticipate (living next to a freeway), or perhaps the home was facing east-west and there's a lot of sunlight which raised your energy bill twofold than a north-south facing home. These are problems not listed in the Inspection Report but more of a Lifestyle Choice Problem that a Traditional Agent would've caught on early and advised you not to purchase such a home, that a Redfin agent would NOT tell you. If you're using Redfin because you want to save a $1-2k for that commission, which is <1% or 0.5% of the list price, it is NOT WORTH IT. If you are an experienced investor or have a family member that's a real estate agent in another state that can't help you in the paperwork because they're not licensed in that state but can help you with advice, then go with Redfin.

To put it simply, it's like you have to diagnose whether a patient as a cold, a flu, or something more serious like cancer by using the internet and no experience. Redfin is like the secretary working at the hospital that can help you order the lab tests and get the syringes and call the nurse, but cannot diagnose or help you diagnose the patient. A traditional agent is like a medical doctor. He will come look at the patient, and instantly know based on his years in medical school and as a doctor, what tests to order to figure out the patient's problem. So you are taking a gamble. If you misdiagnose, the patient may die. In terms of real estate, if you didn't do your research well or had any experience, you may have purchased a home you will end up not liking.

So go with Redfin if you have some real estate experience, trust in yourself to do the research, or have a friend/family member in real estate and save some $$... or go with a traditional agent that can handle everything for you. I went with Redfin and it was fantastic. Was able to get tours in all the time, even same day, or 3 hours from now. Had no pressure whatsoever because the Redfin agents DO NOT work for commission but work for GOOD REVIEWS. So you know they are representing you the most, not making you put in a higher offer so they can get a higher % of the commission.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redfin?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Dealing with Redfin mortgage was the most unprofessional experience in my history of working with mortgage companies. I know how this process works given my background in both retail and corporate banking with over 10 years of experience along with prior experience of purchasing property. I was assigned to Brian ** who at first seemed very pleasant. Shortly after meeting him, he went on vacation during the preapproval without giving me a heads up. He left a detailed out of office email with three of his partners' contact info. While he was out, I had a difficult time reaching his backups and when I did I denied a preapproval. I have excellent credit, great income, down payment in hand and had been approved by four other lenders. They gave me no reasons as to why but sent me an email saying "sorry we can't approve you". I politely responded that I didn’t agree but appreciate their time and that I will move on to another lender.

A few days later, I got an email saying "I agree with you, my manager, I don’t agree with". I was so confused. My realtor who works at Redfin followed up with Brian up his return to voice her concerns and he reached out. He reached out because she suggested it, not as a professional courtesy to say "hey, my apologies, I wanted to follow up….". Brian was able to preapprove me of which still interested me for their offer. Along the underwriting process, I was challenged at every turn. Bear in mind I was going through the same process with other lenders to keep my options opened so when something will come with Redfin and no other top lenders I would question it. Each time I questioned Brian, I would be reminded of "his years of experience" or "how much he knows" with as much bravado and a macho attitude as you could stand.

After a while, I grew tired of dealing with his ego to the point where our conversations became unprofessional. To top it off, he admitted his team is incompetent in which I agree, their process is slow and kept running into questionable "system issues". The cherry on top of the cake, I found a professional lender with raving reviews that offered a better deal. I have received my clear to close in under 3 weeks and will be moving soon. It would be best to move on from this option as they are just too new in the game. My realtor amazing, but their lending service is severely lacking.

Original review: July 29, 2019

We were buying and selling with a Redfin agent which has gone very well. During this process, it was recommended that we go through their mortgage company for our home purchase loan due to their $1000 credit. We were pre-approved for this loan but actually attempting to get the money was a nightmare! The underwriter was very unprofessional and continued to ask for documentation that should not be part of this process.

For example, even asking why I received mail at my parents home 25 years ago! We would provide documentation that would then lead to more documentation needed. We began to fear for our financial security. They would also state all of these deadlines at the last minute. We were suppose to close on our house in 2 days and they stated that we no longer providing the loan. My husband and I have never had debt in our entire lives, perfect credit score and are an upper middle class family. This mortgage is a complete scam! Please, please do not go with them for any of your mortgage needs!!!

Original review: July 25, 2019

This individual Jeffery ** sold to me under FRAUDULENT NON-DISCLOSURE a home. A home I would never have bought, with known NON-DISCLOSURE. I need to leave a STELLAR REVIEW. Please advise how, you do represent him. Your name appears everywhere above his.

Original review: July 21, 2019

Do not sell with Redfin. When you list your home with them, they block other websites from showing that your home is on the market. Like others have said, Redfin is the Walmart of real estate. They don't care about you or your home. They want to see low. There's a reason for the 1% listing fee.

Original review: June 22, 2019

We used Kathy ** at Redfin and sold in 5 days. She was awesome - their pictures and video blew other realtors away! Every detail was communicated daily and have never experienced such a smooth sale! Amazing experience to the very end - closed today!

Redfin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Redfin was established in 2006 in the Pacific Northwest with the goal of making the real estate industry more consumer-friendly. It is a real estate brokerage website whose agents do not work on commission, and its real estate website lets consumers search MLS listings. The company now operates in most U.S. states and advertises that it has helped consumers save $300 million.

• Map search: Redfin’s map search distinguishes itself by providing users with market prices for neighborhoods within their search area. When a user searches for listing in any given city, they can hover over different areas to see the range of listing prices and the median price. This feature makes it easy for homebuyers to locate a neighborhood in their price range.

• Transportation scores: Under the neighborhood information section on every listing, Redfin includes transportation scores for walking and biking as well as access to public transportation. Buyers who do not want to own a car will find this information helpful.

• Account features: Once website visitors create a Redfin account, they can mark properties to checkout, favorite them or both.

• App: Redfin’s mobile app can send users instant updates when a new property matching their criteria is listed, meaning they see properties before potential buyers who only use an agent or browse online.

• Commission refund: Redfin agents are salaried employees who do not work on commission. They can earn bonuses based on customer satisfaction. Because agents do not work on commission, they don’t accept the commission paid by non-Redfin realtors. Instead, the commission goes to the homebuyer in the form of a refund after the buyer closes on the property.

• Best for: Redfin is best for all potential homebuyers who are concerned with customer service and cost savings.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs