2.33/5
Based on 40 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

40 Redfin Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Wanted to list with Redfin last May, she Ellen came out and said house was worth $300000, left and did not do anything again until end of July, but during that time had many many many mistakes from this agent, photos not taken, photo people show up with no warning, listing not listed, then listed when not suppose to. Unable to schedule any open houses until after 5 on Fridays but then complained when no one showed up. Got mixed messages that the agents found house unlocked with windows opened, when they are the only one with keys and I am 3000 miles away. Changed agent but stuck with Redfin, dropped price of house $50000, had three offers, $15000 to $25000 below asking price and wanting me to pay all closing, Redfin agent never tried once to negotiate, she would tell the other agents to low ball me and I would accept the offer, when I refused she just stopped talking to me.

But even worse was again mixed messages, again a holiday weekend, they refused to drop the contract a week early so had to wait until Thanksgiving to have contract dropped, had rental agent agree to pick up keys from them, Redfin refused to show up but write that they no longer have the keys to the house, took the house off market 2 days early but did not let me do it 7 days early, did it on a holiday weekend, and refuse to answer where the keys are since they refused to show up and give keys to rental agent.

This is the worst company I ever worked with both agents lied to me many many times, both agents refused to return phone calls, neither ever went to the house after the first look and continued to not fight for a fair price. I am 3000 miles away and have no idea who has the house keys, if the house is secure or why they refuse to answer phone calls or text on a holiday after they refused to give keys to rental agent during the time they set up, yet send an email that the keys were turned over to them, but the rental agent swears they never got the keys and Redfin canceled on them.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I listed our home with Redfin. The seller's agent receives a salary & did not advocate for me at all with buyers. I had to write the MLS listing & got the worst advice & service. They are not helpful.

Get expert buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I think that Redfin is great for Millenials and not too much for other generations. First of all, the Millenial generation (like me) use the internet heavily and like to do things by his/herself. Redfin has no hand-holding and mostly does all the paperwork for you. You can go on practically unlimited homes and tour them without feeling pressured. Why? Because they have separate Touring Agents that handle the touring for you. Then you have your assigned agent who does the negotiations and paperwork. Your assigned agent, however, does not do any hand-holding so be prepared to do a lot of research yourself on buying a home. Meaning, you should be hyper aware of what to look for when you purchase a home, because no one will tell you.

The role of a traditional real estate agent is someone that will talk to you, get to know you and your goals, almost like a financial advisor, and figure out your tastes. Then the agent usually takes you around in his or her car (may differ in some cities/states) and become almost like your friend or business partner. They will look at a home and immediately advise you whether this home is a "bad purchase" or a "good investment" because they can spot the problems right away that a non-professional cannot, like if there's a slight bulge in the ceiling they'll know there was a roof leak. That means you should discount the purchase price or avoid it altogether. A traditional agent will do a lot of hand-holding like this.

A Redfin agent is more like a secretary and you won't hear much from him or her, let alone the person advise you or even go see the home you are about to purchase (no kidding). So if you are good at doing your research and know what to look for before purchasing, know how to negotiate, then go with Redfin. Possible dangers are that, due to your lack of experience, you may buy a home that you don't really like. You could make an argument that the Inspection Report should tell you everything.

But sometimes, there are things like noise that you didn't anticipate (living next to a freeway), or perhaps the home was facing east-west and there's a lot of sunlight which raised your energy bill twofold than a north-south facing home. These are problems not listed in the Inspection Report but more of a Lifestyle Choice Problem that a Traditional Agent would've caught on early and advised you not to purchase such a home, that a Redfin agent would NOT tell you. If you're using Redfin because you want to save a $1-2k for that commission, which is <1% or 0.5% of the list price, it is NOT WORTH IT. If you are an experienced investor or have a family member that's a real estate agent in another state that can't help you in the paperwork because they're not licensed in that state but can help you with advice, then go with Redfin.

To put it simply, it's like you have to diagnose whether a patient as a cold, a flu, or something more serious like cancer by using the internet and no experience. Redfin is like the secretary working at the hospital that can help you order the lab tests and get the syringes and call the nurse, but cannot diagnose or help you diagnose the patient. A traditional agent is like a medical doctor. He will come look at the patient, and instantly know based on his years in medical school and as a doctor, what tests to order to figure out the patient's problem. So you are taking a gamble. If you misdiagnose, the patient may die. In terms of real estate, if you didn't do your research well or had any experience, you may have purchased a home you will end up not liking.

So go with Redfin if you have some real estate experience, trust in yourself to do the research, or have a friend/family member in real estate and save some $$... or go with a traditional agent that can handle everything for you. I went with Redfin and it was fantastic. Was able to get tours in all the time, even same day, or 3 hours from now. Had no pressure whatsoever because the Redfin agents DO NOT work for commission but work for GOOD REVIEWS. So you know they are representing you the most, not making you put in a higher offer so they can get a higher % of the commission.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Redfin told me on the phone that since I took my house off the market and obtained a current VA appraisal on my house that their revised "Redfin Estimate" will stand at $9,000 less than the VA's and $20,000 less their online estimate a few months ago while I was listing the house. The locations of their square foot comparison houses are known for violent crime rates, and our 7,000+ lot was also unimportant. Redfin has no plan of incorporating our current VA appraisal, home improvements and lot size into their comparative model. We will use a MIBOR realtor when we are ready to sell and update this complaint.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I was purchasing a house in 2015 with a Redfin agent. She pushed me to remove all contingencies when I had no idea what I was signing. After the deal fell apart she ran away and nobody from Redfin ever answered me. After 3 years I still haven't received my deposit of 27k. After spending a lot of times I found out Redfin does that with a lot of customers. I'm collecting emails so we can file an action lawsuit. If this happened to you please email me at **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redfin?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

The Redfin realtors put a lock pad on your door with keys in it, then they give the access code to random "realtors" who just show up at your house with people and go through your home. First 3 appointments for showing we clean entire home, get the family out, wait 1-2 hours and then go home, the first 3 times turns out no one even showed up, but our Redfin realtor does not even tell us this because he is NOT EVEN AWARE IF THEY DID OR NOT? Then to really top this off, there was another "no show" and it's extremely frustrating.

We never were even made aware, but guess what, 2 hours later someones beating on the door??? Nicely tell them you had a scheduled time earlier today you did not show up, I'm sorry to turn you away but my family and I are home and we are doing dinner, shower, work tomorrow all that. I get met with extremely rude "OH SO YOU DONT WANNA SELL YOUR HOUSE THEN?" The people they must be letting in your homes, something is NOT RIGHT with this entire situation. Please God stay away or stay home when people show up.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I had a very terrible experience with Matt **, real estate agent with Redfin. There are several problems with him. First of all, he never picks up his phone and most of the time his voicemail is full and you cannot leave a message. Secondly he does not have your best interest in mind. Thirdly, you will never see him after the initial contact. Fourth, don’t count on him on any help or suggestions to sell your home faster or at best price.

I recently sold my home through Matt ** and had a terrible experience. It took 7 months to sell my house while neighborhood houses sold in less than a month’s time. To begin with he listed my house $10K above market. My neighbor’s house similar to mine was listed at 10K less expect that mine had a few upgrades but not worth more than 5K. I told him that I wanted to list my house at same price as my neighbor but he insisted that my house is worth more and listed it for 10K more. My neighbor’s house sold within 2 weeks after I listed and then too he did not let me drop the price. Finally, after a month dropped the price by 10K and then another 10K after 3 months when I had no offers. He wanted me to drop another 5 to 10K which I refused.

I asked him time and again what can I do for the house to get an offer and he just suggested dropping the price. I had a real estate agent friend visiting from California and he suggested if I have new appliances and make small changes to the house, it will sell like quickly. I heeded his advice and made small improvements and got the offer for the house within 2 weeks. I did not have to get new appliances. After the offer, we negotiated and Matt told me to accept a low offer and threatened me that if I did not accept the offer the buyer will walk off. I did not accept the price Matt wanted me to accept and finally got better price.

Week before the closing Matt sent me an escape clause document to DocuSign, I refused to sign an escape clause document a week before closing when all paperwork was already done and he yelled at me to sign the escape clause document. Very unprofessional. And during closing I gave him the power to represent me during closing and he gave $600 credit from my money to buyer without taking my permission. I would not recommend anybody to hire Matt **. My recommendation get an agent who would work for you and not against you. Matt does not care about you. During the entire 7 months listing I saw him only once and he was never ever available when I needed to discuss.

Redfin agents do not get commission so they do not care how much your house sells for and do not have your interest in mind. They just want to do more turnover than getting property sold for optimal price. My advice don’t go with Matt **. If I had the option I would give him 0 stars. I tried to put the review on Zillow and Zillow is not accepting review since I gave it 1 star.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

She showed us many homes, but in the end she was not experienced to show or sell Million dollar homes. She wrote offers without pulling comps, or looking at disclosures. She was lazy, stating she only pulls comps when she feels it's time. Every time we saw her she dressed like a ** looking for a man. She does not know what she's doing and wasted our time.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Jodan **- "No knowledge on millions of dollar homes and she doesn't do her homework on comps and home disclosures before submitting an offer. It's better to look for an experienced realtor and that could understand upscale buyers." Stay away from her and she's a thief. She wants to charge client $500 each time she shows you a property.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

As of June 2017, if you list your home for sale with Redfin, they hide your house from potential buyers, if those buyers are visitors of competing websites. For example, Redfin listed homes will not show up on Zillow. They want to sell only to Redfin.com visitors. Systematic dishonesty. This will hurt you as a seller.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I came to Tennessee to find my dream home. I signed up with Jerry ** with Redfin. I found the house. It wasn’t built yet what the Regent builders. I was told by the contractor Robert and by Jerry that even know that was a lot of work to had to be done to the place and had a warranty and that was at the walk-through. I’ve been in the house since May 2018 and I’ve had nothing but problems and the warranty people it means nothing. My floors are coming up in all different rooms.

Original review: July 14, 2018

If you want to get a low ball price that your house is worth and are desperate to see your house then use Redfin. The agent we had said nothing nice about our home. Wanted to list is for 25000 less than where it currently sits. But the worst part was his attitude. "I don’t have to sell your house and they have you to me for a reason. We can list your house at your price for 2 weeks but if nothing we lower it and if not I will delist it." He was an arrogant bully! Of course anyone can sell houses when you slap a giant take my house because it is so low sign on it! They lower their commission to get you to sign the papers and they have a 10000 swing on the price compared to other agents. All I say is you get what you pay for! Never ever will recommend or use Redfin for nothing more than lack of professionalism and attitude. Absolutely no customer service!!!

Original review: July 7, 2018

I had a superb experience with Redfin. I bought a townhome in Seattle's Central District with agent Grant **. Since I was still working in San Francisco before starting a new job in Seattle, the Redfin website allowed me to zoom into the exact location where I wanted to be. As soon as a property showed up, I was able to gauge its quality. Luckily, the photos on the property I was interested in were not very good (the sellers had not staged it). But Redfin had photos on other townhomes in the same development and I was able to see the high quality of the construction. Even without visiting the place, I made an offer, and flew a few days later for the inspection (as I had kept this contingency). The Redfin agent recommended an inspector who was very thorough and who commented on the good quality of the home and also stated that the two car garage on the property was unusual for the neighborhood.

I bought it, lived in it when I moved to Seattle weeks later, and have obtained a 30% asset appreciation in 3 years. Now, I am using their services again to buy a house a bit farther away from downtown with agent Kathleen **, and am in the closing stage. She has been superb so far. One thing to note is that Redfin is so popular here in Seattle that an agent might be representing more than one client for the same property. In this case, it is better to be clear as to which house you are really interested in, and how far you are prepared to go to win the ensuing multiple offer battle.

Original review: May 28, 2018

In late 2017, we explored having Redfin list our home. The Agent said, she could only sell our home for 699k - we thankfully passed and went with a traditional agent who has been marketing our home for 175k more. And it appraised for that value. We took our house off the market for several months and now it’s back on the market. Redfin will schedule a tour and do what they call an “insight review” - an insight that is not solicited and done in such a way that you would think they are a potential buyer. Sound tricky, yes, we think so.

We read their, mechanically illwritten “insight” and know that the agent was only at our property for less than 10 min! And we are flabbergasted with what it says. Redfin is intrusive and known price lowballers all in spirit to make a sale. No collaboration with the customer and quite honestly, that’s why they only charge 1% for their terrible service. If you want to fantastically waste your time, do contact them and find yourself in the end, switching to a traditional real estate agent.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I used Redfin to sell my current house and a traditional agent to buy my new house. It really helped me to see the difference in the service I should be receiving. The first Redfin agent never called or emailed me back after our first meeting. We were assigned a new agent who did not have the best communication either. There were many people on our "team" which made it feel very disjointed. I complained to the "manager" and he basically told me that my seller's agent (non-Redfin) probably only has 2-3 clients, while Redfin agents have 10-12 so they simply don't have as much time to devote to each customer. That was all I needed to hear. Will never be using them again or recommending them.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Dropped Redfin after our first meet. Had another real estate agency with a very competitive fee within a day. Sold our house for 51000 more than Redfin's suggested highest selling range. Oh and within a few days!! They had months to do their Due Diligence as we gave them plenty of heads up time to investigate real world comparables. What we got was a bunch of corporate speak from an agent trying to set the stage to lowball us. Redfin does a serious disservice to anyone selling a house. Their business model is set up to boost corporate numbers and stats but to the sellers detriment. Absolutely zero excitement and no interest in our home and what it offered either.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I sold my deceased mother's property in another city during January of 2018. Redfin erroneously reported my home address as having been sold instead of my mother's home as having been sold. Redfin erroneously reported the sale price of my mother's home to my property. THEY REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE MISTAKE AFTER CONTACTING THEM SEVERAL TIMES. Redfin is NOT A CREDIBLE SITE to use for property valuations.

Original review: March 28, 2018

REDFIN REAL ESTATE... FALSE ADVERTISING... I have made contact several times and explained that they have a property listing that is owned by my family which is listed as for sale at a price LESS THAN 1/4 of its value. They persist in advertising this False listing whereas they show pictures of land that is 1 Cory's lane, (NOT **) (my family's) for sale and list it as **... 1 Cory's Lane (PICTURES in LISTING) and Our property ** are 3/4 of a mile between them and totally different in size, location, (night vs day) and especially In Value. The Value has created a dilemma whereas we will be selling in the near future and now have people thinking they can buy it for the price REDFIN is advertising it for, which is less than 20% of the actual Value (1,300,000)... I guess the only way to correct this is through a LAWSUIT. MY ATTORNEY has said that we should take them to court and file for damages in excess of $200,000.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

This company has horrible reviews. Agents that have no experience. No single contact with the Agent that lists or sells them a home. They have a list of staff that does various things after a contract is effective and there is no one that really knows what is going on. To top that off they are sending multiple emails to every Broker and Agent in the business trying to loop them into their failed business model. They need to stop as the Real Estate Industry as a whole has absolutely no respect for this company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I started to look for home in New Jersey with Redfin when I came to know that they pay some of the commission back to buyer. But the home buying experience has been adequately unsatisfactory. Matt ** was my agent who was always willing to show the home, and also appeared sharp dude. But once I offered on the home, he did not put much effort in identifying the issues of home. As a novice home buyer, I relied on him too much. I went with the home inspector recommended by him (Redfin). Matt never told me that if home inspector does not go on roof is a BIG red flag. I came to know on the day of inspection that inspector does not go on roof. I asked Matt what to do… he said, “No worries, we will get a roofer.” Roofer came referred by Matt (Redfin)… found out couple of holes which are not big issue and roof has 5 year age left, which I said is acceptable to me.

There was garage issue which Matt said he will fix. On the final day of walkthrough, I found a crack in spindle of the staircase which was meticulously pasted together, not easy to figure the crack unless someone is specifically looking for it. After closing, lots of issues were uncovered with home starting with roof leak, windows crack, bathroom leak behind dry walls. If I fix all these items today will easily cost 20 grands. I am repenting why did I go with Redfin? A big rip off, and no way to recover the cost. Please think twice before going with Redfin. If you still want to go, make sure you have done your ground work and have good contacts for attorney, home inspector and roof inspector.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Redfin is an excellent website for sellers and buyers. It is easy to navigate and you can search multiple areas, prices and sizes with ease. The property information is also accurate and updated in a timely manner throughout the day. Plus they provide multiple pictures of the interior and exterior of a property when available. Scheduling tours is a breeze too. There are Redfin agents ready to assist you almost immediately so you can tour as many homes as possible, and they are also knowledgeable, courteous and patient. They guide you through every step of the process if you're a first time home buyer and provide you with all the necessary information you will need to navigate the treacherous waters of Denver real estate!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

My overall experience with Redfin agent, Kimberly ** in Fredericksburg, VA was terrible! She lacks attention to detail. She made a mistake on my offer and instead of revising the document and representing to seller, she made a backdoor deal with the selling agent and contract remained intact. She does not communicate except once in awhile by text message or through her recommended loan officer, Moe **. You will be nothing but a dollar sign to this duo. And expect the sweet "I need a great review from you to remain in the Redfin network." Folks - run from this agent! She is an extremely poor representation of Redfin and will not have your best interest in mind.

Original review: July 26, 2017

This was by far the worst experience with a real estate company. Initial meeting went very well, excited to get the house listed with Redfin - shortly after the listing agreement was signed things went down hill. They had to send out a second photographer to take photos. We were told all collateral material would be in the house prior to the first showing. That did not happen. There seems to be a lack of communication between staff - they did not know their "marketing team" (a person who does the copy/edit and layout) has relocated to the east coast. I was told by 2 different people he was on the west coast. The language and photos used in the draft of the brochure were sub par. Selling a house is not easy - your listing team should make the process easier not more stressful.

Original review: July 18, 2017

REDFIN is like one of those people who rather eat worms than admit they made a mistake. For curiosity sake I looked up my home "value" on REDFIN and saw they valued my home at $350K in a $700K neighborhood. I contacted them and pointed out RECENT home sales in my area, gave them specific comps of other homes listed in my neighborhood and I showed them that other real estate websites have my home valued in the $600K range. No doubt REDFIN use kids from school during summer session, or kids just out of schools as INTERNS to reply to any comments or complaints. After few emails going back & forth and getting me nowhere I just gave up. If I were you - I wouldn't trust REDFIN to buy or sell a kid's bicycle. This company overall is truly for the birds!! THE WORST!!

Original review: June 3, 2017

I schedule an appointment with the enclosed Agent for this company and she sets an appointment for 3:30 PM Friday and about a week in advance. Then the day before our appointment she sends me reminder and I confirm "looking forward to it". She had previously state she might be a little later due to traffic from where she was coming from about 45 minutes away. So at 4:30 PM not here or heard from I email her for update no response. At 5:30 PM call, get voice mail, leave message inquiring what was going on...

So here is email response on Saturday morning. "Hello. I wanted to follow up with you. I came by the house a little bit early after the Sun City Center appointment. I did not have a phone number to call you as the system stated you only wanted to communicate via email but with the proximity to the commercial building it doesn't fit Redfin's criteria. Tampa is a new emerging market and we are limited with our guidelines and locations etc. I do apologize. We have several partner agents in that area that I can refer you to should you decide to list. Let me know! Thank you."

So since she had previously did an approximate valuation for me, and should have used Freakin Google Earth to see where my home was (Hello). And since I was home all day waiting and all evening waiting... COULD YOU NOT HAVE STOPPED AND TOLD ME THAT EL SUTPIDO. Good luck as wasting other's time so what goes around comes around and remember that when people stand you up cause they didn't like the house and just drove on by and don't contact you if they even do till the next day. Remember why this is happening to you. SFB.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I watch all the online seller-buyers sites. I am about 1 year from putting my home on the market and buying another home. I read this website and they gave me a low estimate of my home value. Then, the site stated that I would be contacted in :58. When he accessed the site, the message came until that someone would contact me in 4 hours. I found this very deceptive and will not get this company to sell my home or buy a new house. I asked and received removal from this site.

Original review: March 22, 2017

Agent seemed knowledgeable. We agreed to pay a higher fee for Redfin to negotiate the deal. We signed their agreement. She dropped off 2 signs, one for our property and another for our entrance, and we didn't see her again. We were able to schedule interested parties & or RE agents showings, and read their comments, however our agent communication was only through phone calls to us.

We had 17 showings with all good reviews - no offers were ever placed. I questioned our agent if she followed up with the interested parties her reply, "I figure if they were interested they would contact her back." She was definitely hands off, and that made us feel abandoned. When our contract ran out she did not even bother to come back for her signs.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

Easy to find homes based on different settings. Super easy to use app and work with a realtor. Also, easy to share homes you find. My wife and I both use the website and app and could easily save and share our favorites. Also, it's very easy to schedule tours on your schedule. All of the basics are laid out for you. What I find great is that the local Redfin realtors will conduct sessions for home buyers. They are doing well with a niche of customers who are busy but still want responsive and the best service. Tons of great houses are loaded into our searches and the email alerts are always on point. The app is slick and easy to use. Not clunky and frustrating. Searches and alerts meet our specifications. Also, when a house is pending an alert is sent ASAP so we know if we have to go back to the drawing board.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

This was a very easy to use website and allowed you to put in exactly what type of home you were looking for to narrow down your search. The site seemed to support both buyers and sellers equally. It showed great pictures of the properties for rent or to buy. The site was easy to navigate. It showed quality homes for rent or for sale that were within what I was looking for. It showed the homes in the price range I was looking for. The descriptions and pictures of the homes for sale and for rent really did the houses justice. Directions to the homes were very accurate.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

The website was very easy to use. I had no trouble navigating through it and finding what I was looking for. It's very simple to use and anyone can easily find what they are looking for. Pretty good website to do business with. The site seems very supportive towards sellers. They are able to list many photos of the home they are trying to sell. They have many tools and are able to get into contact with people who are looking to buy a house. The quality of content is definitely up to par. They have a great website that allows you to find what you need and they really help you if you need any help. Great stuff. The listings appear to be very up to date and they are very helpful when looking for a home. The listings include very helpful information such as how many rooms and square footage a house has. It's very useful when you are looking for a house to purchase.

Redfin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Redfin was established in 2006 in the Pacific Northwest with the goal of making the real estate industry more consumer-friendly. It is a real estate brokerage website whose agents do not work on commission, and its real estate website lets consumers search MLS listings. The company now operates in most U.S. states and advertises that it has helped consumers save $300 million.

• Map search: Redfin’s map search distinguishes itself by providing users with market prices for neighborhoods within their search area. When a user searches for listing in any given city, they can hover over different areas to see the range of listing prices and the median price. This feature makes it easy for homebuyers to locate a neighborhood in their price range.

• Transportation scores: Under the neighborhood information section on every listing, Redfin includes transportation scores for walking and biking as well as access to public transportation. Buyers who do not want to own a car will find this information helpful.

• Account features: Once website visitors create a Redfin account, they can mark properties to checkout, favorite them or both.

• App: Redfin’s mobile app can send users instant updates when a new property matching their criteria is listed, meaning they see properties before potential buyers who only use an agent or browse online.

• Commission refund: Redfin agents are salaried employees who do not work on commission. They can earn bonuses based on customer satisfaction. Because agents do not work on commission, they don’t accept the commission paid by non-Redfin realtors. Instead, the commission goes to the homebuyer in the form of a refund after the buyer closes on the property.

• Best for: Redfin is best for all potential homebuyers who are concerned with customer service and cost savings.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs