1.19/5

59 realtor.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 6, 2019

I have been purchasing leads from Realtor.com for a few years with their fast option. Fast option according to realtor.com means only shared with one other agent. However just like other customers have complained that the same lead was called by more than 2 agents even within 5 minutes of their inquiry which seems to be happening more frequently. Recently I had the same lead from one of my zipcodes sent to me and while I was on the phone trying to connect with the lead, Opcity which is owned by realtor.com had their ISA 's call on the other line to connect with the lead.

I have also partnered up with OPCity for a referral fee. They were selling me the same leads and competing with me by calling the lead and send me the lead for a referral fee. I have evidence to show the timeline on this lead. Has this happened to anyone else? Please reach out to me ** so we can figure this unethical business practice. Thank You.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Received first phone call which was a recording of, "Hi this is Josh" then silence and then dropped call. Then a few seconds later received a second number that was hold music. When a person answers, he said, "Thanks for calling Realtor.com, how can I help you". When I state that he had called and to remove my phone number from the cold call list, the call drops. This phone number is listed on the National Do Not Call Registry and is a phone number for emergency medical services. This cold call is not benign. It may actually delay services in our area.

Get expert buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I purchased marketing from realtor.com a few years ago. After my contract was up I canceled my marketing. Almost 2 years later I noticed I am being charged $45 a month from top producer. Come to find out realtor.com sold me a package deal and when you cancel with realtor.com it doesn't cancel top producer. I admit I should check my CC statements but this is a total scam. How do they sell you a product but not cancel the product. They scammed me for $1000. Don't let them scam you too.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Very user friendly and easiest way of getting how to sell. Discounted Realtors affirm or include the majority of their key due dates into the product, which will at that point plan updates for them to keep everybody on track. Best of all, these updates aren't just setting off to the agent – the individual can set them up with the goal that the home buyers and the dealer's agent get the updates too. It fabricates a programmed correspondence channel among real estate agent and client, so the client thinks about up and coming due dates and can connect with any extra inquiries.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Made bid on property and little interest was displayed with helping me even though I had a lender and offered listed price on foreclosed property. I was very surprised no one seemed interested in selling me the property. The day after offering my bid, the $24,900 foreclosed property price began to shoot up on the major real estate advertising sites. It had been on the market for well over 6000 days at that price and four days after I placed a bid, it was being advertised for over $48,000+. All of a sudden this property was being shown as much more valuable on most of the major real estate selling sites. I do not know what was going on, but it was deceptive and I felt my need for a house was used as an opportunity to scam me and the public. Nothing was straightforward and there was no way I was getting caught up in their games. I needed a home and honest people to work with and they did not feel honest to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about realtor.com?

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was interested in a house, and very hesitantly left my phone number. With the phone number I said do not call me hoping they would listen. I have had to block 3 numbers from them and have received 20 phone calls. They will not stop calling me!!! I really don't understand how they think this is beneficial. Who would use them after all of the incessant calling?

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have been with Realtor.com as an agent since October. I was promised by the sales rep to have a certain amount of leads each month. This happened only one month. I have tried since JANUARY to cancel, with very little response from their Customer Service. I sent numerous emails, made phones to customer service where I was told someone else would call me back and that didn't happen until early March. 2 months of being ignored and my cancelling of my account not being address. I spoke to Michael ** in March who talked me into staying, which I am not sure why I stayed, but March proved to be even more dismal with the quantity and quality of leads that I had received. These leads are NOT QUALIFIED, they are not interested and I can only assume that the agents paying top dollar are getting their leads, but I personally have experienced such crappy horrible customer service and leads, that this company is not worth it.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I got some pretty decent leads for the first 6 months. Even then, they were selling them to 5 or more agents even though they claim it's just 2 agents. But since they bought OpCity my leads have been people wanting to buy $40,000 trailers, $100,000 foreclosures, etc. These leads were always there but at least there were some good ones as well. Now all the good ones have gone and have been gone since November 2018. So I'm quite sure they are selling these leads through their OpCity platform where they hound you to death and charge a 35% referral fee if they sell anything. Greed, Greed, Greed!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have called Realtor.com 4 different times, and have not been able to get my lead purchase resolved. Finally, I was told my concern would be written up and to expect a phone call from a supervisor within 72 hours. It's been a week, and I'm back on the phone and holding for now 45 minutes and listening to their music. My experience is that they charge for 240 leads in a year for 1000.00 a month, and so far, after 6 months, I have received 52. They won't talk to me about this. And not one good lead. Don't waste your money. Realtor.com.

Original review: March 27, 2019

We live in Brown County Indiana and paid for a year of leads and was promised only 2 realtors would be getting these leads. Before we could call and complain to them that wasn't true. They canceled leads in our Area and changed to a plan making your broker sign up with...Opcity. What a joke. They want upfront charges from our broker and 35% at closing. GREED DRIVEN COMPANY. They explained they didn't know when they took our budget money... lol. Yea right. Also the leads we did get were totaly ghost leads and junk. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH OPCITY OR REALTOR.COM. THEY ARE A JOKE. JUST MY OPINION.

Original review: March 12, 2019

This company has started spam calling my phone a few days ago. I have received countless calls from them under the name 'Tyler **', phone number **. They will leave 3 minutes of dead air on my voicemail. The only reason I know it's from realtor.com is there was an actual voicemail left on one of the calls - an automated message from realtor.com. I'm, quite frankly, appalled how this business can justify such tactics, especially since my phone number is listed in the Do Not Call Registry. I have contacted them to stop on several occasions but to no avail. I am now making it my life's mission to share this experience with everyone, including the Federal Trade Commission and the FCC. What an abysmal company. A little piece of advice - harassing people is no way to find customers.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have purchase leads in total of almost $1,000. Was "guaranteed" at least 16 per month. After one month I have received one lead and can't get anyone on the phone to discuss or cancel. Don't waste the money.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have been buying real estate buyer leads from realtor.com and they are expensive but I could convert enough of them to barely justify the cost of over $1,000/ month. Recently they changed their communication protocol to force you to communicate through their proprietary app that makes it extremely difficult to intelligently speak to the leads because you can't have any other apps on your smartphone open at the same time (can't look up homes while you're talking to the prospect) and greatly increases the confusion factor with the prospects because now on top of getting calls from multiple Realtors every time they click that little button on a home, now Realtor.com is masking your phone number when you communicate back and forth with them so you can't even "brand" your communication with text and e-mail signatures to try to reduce their confusion and let them know which Realtor is actually being proactive and getting them the info they want.

I was having trouble with the app when I first discovered their new protocol and it took over a week for them to respond to over a dozen requests from me for assistance. I got so fed up I told them I want to cancel the remainder of my contract, the leads are now virtually worthless to anybody that doesn't have a dedicated inside sales agent sitting at a desk and I really don't want to do business with a company that will take $1,000/mo from me and not even respond to help requests. They are refusing to let me out of the remainder of my contract and are going to try to force me to keep paying them over $1,000/mo for leads that are now useless. Don't do it!

Original review: March 7, 2019

I normally don't purchase leads with most of my business coming from referrals. I receive calls from Realtor.com all the time trying to sell me zip codes and I know from past experience they're selling these zip codes to multiple agents, so I've never signed up. However I got a call about a new program called Local Expert. It was to launch in December of January and I was supposed to have 20% market share in the two zip codes I purchased. I was told potential Sellers would call me on determining the value of their houses.

Since I only purchased a 20% market share I wasn't expecting to be flooded with contacts, but over a four-month period the only request I received was for a rental. I was very disappointed, so I contacted the rep and he promised me someone would get back to me within 3 days to discuss my account. I never received one call. I concluded this was another oversell by Realtor.com. I purchased the program to receive potential listing leads, not to be told how many algorithms and hits I was getting. This was a poor investment and I will never buy any lead program from them again.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Back in June of 2017 I received a call from one of their reps. She said for about $20 something dollars a month, I can get my own direct leads! I said wow... I have to pay for my own leads on my own listing that I took? Sign me up! That was probably the worst mistake of my real estate career. It was a 12 month contract, so $20 a month wasn't that bad and it is a tax write off.

Well for a while I had forgotten all about it because I wasn't getting any leads from them for some time. So at the beginning of this year, I am getting ready for tax season. I print out all my credit card statements and noticed I was being charged $144.49 per month since June 2018! I called them and they said they sent me a renewal notice and if I didn't respond they would "assume" I want to continue. Well come to find out, I never received any email from them. They actually had some guy named Scott's email attached to my account! He was receiving my emails.

After long battling phone calls with their reps I finally got one of them, Justin, to talk to his boss and they agreed that I shouldn't have been charged for all those months and that I would receive a full refund. I have that from them in an email! Well two more months have gone by and guess what? No credit back from them on my Discover Card! Oh and to make it worse... they charged me for January and February! These people are the worst! I have called and emailed Justin numerous times... No response. I have called the support line and every time they say they cannot get a hold of Justin or any other account specialists. This is a bad way to run a business! Save yourselves. don't buy into their crap!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have been paying for leads from Realtor.com for several months. I was told that I should expect a certain amount of leads per month but they will not guarantee I hit that goal. However, at the end of the year they said that I'd be credited for any leads that I did not receive. They've been taking my money each month and I've only received a small percentage of the leads that I've been expecting. I was told that it is likely because of the weather (I'm in a cold climate). This didn't seem right as I also pay for leads from the other big real estate website and my lead count hasn't dropped from them at all.

I've also received "bad leads" and wrote emails asking for them to remove these leads from my system so I will not pay for them. They told me that I would be able to get a refund for these leads at the end of the year. How are we supposed to keep track of bad leads a year later? They fully understand that this won't happen and they will not have to refund the leads. It's a shame because I was looking forward to not giving so much of my money to the other big real estate website... But the leads on Realtor.com are just plain terrible. Be very careful if you sign up for these leads.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Always receive a chinese lady calling from a toll free number. I wanted it to stop so I called back then the call got rerouted to another line and was answered by realtor.com. I did not subscribe from them but if this is the way they are selling their subscription to their clients, then I think they are frauding you.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I had written a honest & respectful negative review for a Real Estate agent whom I used to sell my house. It went up, but then quickly came down with no explanation as to why even though I followed their guidelines. Wow!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

They sell you on advertising in order to allow buyers who are interested in your listings to be given your information rather than another realtor who is unfamiliar with the property. Absolute FRAUD. You cannot speak to a person regarding canceling your subscription-have to talk to a sales rep to cancel who actually tries upselling your package. JOKE of a company. Worst part? My complaint was routed to the person I was complaining about-ludicrous! As with previous complaints, my calls were promised a returned response within 3 days, no response, rerouted to same said sales rep. Clearly they are so awful that they can’t keep realtors so they trap them for their year subscription-will suffer until my year is up but hopeful others learn from my mistake.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

If you are a Realtor avoid this company. I paid $287/mo for a zip code for a shared program that notifies no more than 2 agents. After 17 "leads" I learned from last few leads that they got called, texted and emailed by four (4) Agents in under 1 minute for the same one address. I reported it to Realtor.com and demanded a refund for the last 4 months. They said billing will call me back in under 72 hours. After 4 days I called them again and they said they put me on priority to get a call back in 24 hours. 2 days have passed and no callback again. When I called they got me through billing and had me wait for 48 minutes on hold!!! Of course they denied that the leads were called by 4 agents even though I offered proof from 2 leads that confirmed it via texts.

I talked to 5 people and I was being very nice but got absolutely nowhere. I decided to file a small claims lawsuit and asked them for their Legal Department address from their customer service number. They claimed they didn't know what that is or who would have that. Then again, they said they will get back to me in less than 3 days with that information. I am not putting my hopes up! They owe me $1458 for fraudulent product and service! I'm going to file a complaint with a local district court and I'm also reporting to the NC Real Estate Commission. I want my refund!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Horrible experience with Advertising Dept. at Realtor.com. They advertise an Agent Branding service where Realtors can buy advertising space for their area. Unfortunately your ads will not show in your town as the person searching has to enter a specific ZIP Code only. Unless you work in a large city that differentiates subdivisions by their ZIP rather than a name, don't use this service. Your ad will never pop up in anyone's searches.

I purchased the agent branding and no one could find me in the towns that I purchased the ads. Customer service informed me that I will only show if a proper ZIP Code is entered and not the town or subdivision name, even if that particular town only has one ZIP. I immediately cancelled my subscription on the first day, within 24 hours. I was given a confirmation number and told that a refund will be applied to my credit card within few days. 10 days later still no credit was given. After calling Realtor.com and spending 45 minutes waiting for the customer service, I was told that now they will take care of it within a few days and I was given yet another confirmation number. When I emailed the original finance department person, I got a nasty reply back. When I politely called him on the issue not being solved I did not even get an acknowledgment back.

So now, two weeks after my request to cancel the membership and get a full refund, which they said that they will grant me with no problem, I had to call my credit card and dispute this transaction. If Realtor.com can do this to 500 agents country-wide and hold on to their money for an extended period of time, they are making good interest and the use of it for free. Bad business practice. Not a way to treat your customers and like that. And to think that they work for us, the Realtors. I feel ashamed of being a member of that organization.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

This was helpful in purchasing a home. However I have been trying to UNSUBSCRIBE for over 2 years, since we purchased our last home. cannot unsubscribe even though you will be off in 72 hours, a BIG JOKE! I HAVE DONE THIS TOO MANY TIMES WITH NO RESULTS, VERY ANNOYING!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I do not have my PA home listed for sale, I do not have any contract, no account with Realtor.com, did not give them permission to list or to show any information about it on the internet nor anywhere else. Yet, they show my home on realtor.com with totally bogus, fake description, and with an estimated price of significantly below what it was 2 years ago. This, despite of other homes on that street being up in price. They even have a chart that shows it as dropping sharply in price giving the impression that it is of below average condition and value compared to others.

This is a scamming operation, there is nothing on their listing as to how to opt out of this fake advertising that they conduct. I just noticed this, and looks like they uploaded their lies recently. I don't know what they want, if this is some sort of extortion operation or what. I want them out of my home and my life and I want out of their scam. I will not pay them anything. So, now I will write, file complaints everywhere that I can, perhaps something will come of it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Do not expect anyone at REALTOR.com to care about you over paying. Expect to be mislead and lied to, it is the norm for this company. As for promises of a refund... dream on, those are lies too. Call to complain, no problem, they know how to put you on hold for 30 minutes and then disconnect you. Call back, go ahead, start from scratch again. After the 4th or 5th time, they may not even answer your call. Call from another number, give them info, expect a dial tone.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

My contract with Realtor.com was renewed for another year without any notification, written or otherwise. They charged by CC, again they were not supposed to keep my CC on file, since I never gave permission for them to do so. When I tried to contact them, in a few instances that I was able to talk to a live person, it typically went like this: - Long wait time on-hold. - Unhelpful and evasive support personnel. - Vague promises of "supervisor not available, will call back" but never did. In short - probably the worst experience I have had in my entire career as a real estate professional.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I was called several times by a rep at Realtor.com telling me about this awesome lead program they have. They kept assuring me there is no long contract... Just month to month. I signed up and started getting leads of mobile homes. So I decided to switch areas. My rep, Clint **, to say the least, did not return calls or emails. I called Customer Service and they transferred me to Justin **. I told him I'd like to change cities and there was no issues. Once I changed cities, not only was I not getting many leads, but the few leads I did receive after contacting them right away, were not responding what-so-ever.

After a couple weeks of this, I called Realtor.com and Justin ** called me back. Right from the get-go he tells me I can't cancel because it's a year-long contract. What?! I told him I signed up for the month-to-month. He said I did, but once I switched cities, it went to a year-long contract. What kind of scam is this company playing?! He had the worst attitude... Aggressive and attacking me. I hope he had that call recorded. Of course, you can't talk to anyone in management as "they have no direct line." This company really needs to be stopped from lying to their customers!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

For over a month, Realtor has listed my private house as a condo, so anyone searching for a house doesn't see us. And for a month, we've gotten nothing but excuses. Can't Fix Simple Issue. How hard is that to correct this? All they have to do is look at the pictures, which I mentioned to them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My experience with Realtor.com is the worst I've had in a very long time. Their overall lack of follow-up and customer service is astonishing. As a long time Zillow Premier Agent, I expected the same type of professionalism and service, however, it was not delivered. I would HIGHLY recommend you not advertise with this company, if for no other reason, than you can't talk to anybody when you want to make a change. So Frustrating.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

As a fairly new realtor I got duped into believing that their lead system is worth paying for... and they lock you in to a year contract of which I have not been able to get out of, even offering a partial lump sum payment so that they could resell the zip codes that I have a part of as it "SOUNDS LIKE THEY HAVE SUCH HIGH DEMAND", obviously they do not have that high demand are totally unwilling to work with me.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Realtor.com drop down menus do not function properly. Some days you can choose the price of the home you wish to find; other days you cannot. If you change the location you are searching even if it's the next town over, you have to reenter the price of the home, but the drop down often just stops working. Now you can't choose the home price for a particular location. If you are on the site for a long period of time, it locks up. I suggest prospective buyers fact check the data on this site, the locations of the homes on the map feature are often not the actual home and you have to find them. The tax data is sometimes not current and should be checked with the appropriate county.

Often the HMO fees for condos and townhomes are listed as zero when they are often up to around $350 a month, so that data is faulty. If you select for example, "hardwood floors" be prepared to miss houses you may be interested in because it appears the site doesn't check the home information closely enough. If you want to use this site, make sure you double check the data against other realtor Websites such as Trulia, Zillow or Redfin and you will get a much clearer perspective on a home's details. Also if you use Realtor.com to find a realtor your phone will ring and multiple realtors will call you with varying results. Suggest you find a realtor in the area you are interested in, a referral from a friend is best in my opinion.

realtor.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Move, Inc. owns and operates realtor.com. It is the official website of the National Association of Realtors and uses data from the Multiple Listing Service (MLS).

• Updates: Most properties on realtor.com are updated every 15 minutes, so users see up-to-date listings.

• Selling tools: Homeowners interested in selling their home will find many informational resources on realtor.com. They can get an estimate of their home’s value, read articles about preparing to sell a house, look for a local realtor and more.

• News: realtor.com features news stories about housing trends, informative articles about buying and selling houses and national interest rates for mortgages.

• Local information: Prospective homebuyers can browse cities, zip codes and even specific neighborhoods to see market trends and school district reviews.

• Search options: Buyers and sellers can search for real estate using several types of criteria, like property type and the number of bedrooms. Once visitors have selected the area or city they’re interested in, the local information, realtor contact information and other site-wide features change to ensure most everything visitors find will be relevant to their desired area.

• Best for: realtor.com has tools and listing for both house hunters and sellers, and it has special resources for those looking for market trends and news.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs