Keystone Homes

Compare Home Builders & Developers

Research top Home Builders & Developers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In 2007 I purchased my home from Keystone in Rolesville NC at the Hampton Lake community. The 3000 SQft home look great from the outside and the model home look splendid. I was sold on the same model as the showroom and hope for a wonderful new beginning. First troubling concern was that we were not allowed on the construction site without an advance authorization. The material used to build this $270k home was nothing different than what is used to build a trailer home. The structure (walls) shake throughout the house when walking on the lower level. Most walls (upstairs and downstairs) make loud squeaking noise when walking on the floor adjacent to the wall. It must be the cheap material and labor used to secure all the partitions. The warranty they offer would not send a qualified person to come fix the issue.

The problem was reported in my first 90 days report and multiple time after. Keystone never took care of the problem. Twice, I paid a $200 fees to the warranty company to have someone come and determine the problem. Twice I wasted my money because they sent incompetent people who had zero experience with home structures and couldn't help. I even offer to pay out of pocket for if they could provide me with a solution... But it seems that it fell into deaf ears. I advise anyone hunting for a house to stay away from Keystone home Builders. Their home quality is "zero". Their workmanship is "zero". Their after sale customer service is "zero". Their ability to be competitive is "zero". The material used are worth "zero". Their overall rating is "zero". If anyone is interested of seeing what I am talking about please call me at ** and I will show you my house and let you know why you should not buy from Keystone.

We have been watching the construction of their homes in Cave Creek, AZ ... all of which is being done ENTIRELY, from the ground up, by "undocumented workers." As my father is a building contractor, I have grown up around quality construction. Every review we have read here concerns the shoddy construction. Maybe that has a thing or two to do with the unqualified builders. We noted that the website for Keystone Homes claims that they are "family owned" and blah, blah, blah. Rest assured, all of these homes and everything about them is the result of untrustworthy illegal alien construction. We are so glad we looked into this situation before considering buying from these charlatans. Is there one review here that doesn't mention leaking roofs, etc? Keystone--you get what you pay for!

Our home was purchased in 2008 from Keystone Homes. The first weekend in our new home, it rained and the ceiling over the dining area began to leak. We had to place several buckets in that area. We called the office number and left a message. We were not contacted until that Saturday morning and was told someone would be out on the following Monday. The gentleman came in and conducted the worse, worse ceiling touch up ever. We continued to complain until someone came out to search out the reason the ceiling was leaking (they claimed a vent was left open but there are no vents at the top of the home. Then they stated it must have rained through the eave of the home). Finally we had no more issues with the leaking ceiling.

To our surprise, more continued to take place. After about six months, we decided to use our dishwasher. The dishwasher ran so loud that we had to scream to talk to each other when it is running. Needless to say, we have used the dishwasher maybe 10 times (5 years) since we have been in the home. When the heat or air condition is running, you need to put in ear plugs. We never received a call back in reference to the issues. Well, next we complained about the upstairs. When our children get into their shower upstairs, we are almost sure the tub is going to fall through the ceiling. Nail heads are popping through our walls and ceiling; we were told it was normal. The ceiling in the family area look like waves in the ocean; we were told that was normal as well.

We complained at the beginning of our move in of no linen closet upstairs or downstairs and we were assured it was. Needless to say, they sent us $200 to purchase a cabinet to place in the laundry room where there is no space to open the door. We were also told our backyard would be re-done, however to no avail to this day.

There is so much wrong with this home and for 5 years we have hoped to get a call back from the President of Keystone Homes; however, no success. We are very, very dissatisfied with our purchase yet with nowhere to go. If we thought an attorney would help us, yes, we would contact one. However, I feel there is nothing to do but to continue to pray for a move. Several neighbors and I have walked around our subdivision and notice poor placement of outside porch columns. One neighbor had hardwood floors put down and was told by the contractor that his steps had no brace under the steps and the steps could have collapsed. Several of our neighbors complained about the loud dishwashers and heating and air units. We were told it is because Keystone used the cheapest materials and that the home are not insulated well at all.

We moved from an old outdated home and dreamed of starting in a new home. Never did we experience these types of issues in the older home and I never dreamed we would experience such in a new home and after receiving good reviews about Keystone Homes. Many nights I cry about our purchase and as I stated earlier, I will pray until somethings happens.

My husband and I paid $15,000 in earnest money to have our dream home built by Keystone American home. The home was to be built in a subdivision named Rachel Ridge in Surprise, AZ. We paid the money in January, 2008 and the home was to be completed in late July-early August, 2008.

In June, 2008 we realized that work had stopped on our home. We asked the builder what was going on and was told that the banks had stopped providing money to complete the homes due to the housing market. Keystone would have to sell their empty spec homes prior to receiving any more money to complete the homes. Our home wouldn't be completed until the end of the year. They offered to us the purchase of the model home of the floorplan we wanted at a large discounted price. We decided to go with that since our home we were having built did not have the same number of upgrades as the model home.

We completed the paperwork with the builder on July 3, 2008 and was told by the project manager to have our renters for our home we were moving out of to put in their 30 day notice at their apt. complex. This way they would be able to move into our previous home the beginning of August. We did exactly that. My husband and I went in and signed the last of the paperwork with the broker the 3rd week in July and was told it takes 24-48 hrs to get the title on the home and close. We were to be moved out of our home by the 1st weekend in August.

By that Friday, August 1st we were told that we would need to find some temporary place to be for awhile by the broker due to the title companies not wanting to work with Keystone American so we could close on the home. We had to move out of our previous home on Sat. August 2nd because a rental agreement had been drawn and our renters were set to move in. However, Keystone American could not close escrow on our new home. My husband and I and our 4 children had to move into a 1 bedroom suite hotel for almost $500 a week. No communication had been given to us from Keystone American that there were problems with them being able to pay their subcontractors or having problems with the title companies.

We found out that Keystone American had 4 open cases against them and filed through the AZ. Registar of Contractors for mechanical liens on the homes. We met with Keystone American, in which the president of the company would not come in and speak with us or address our concerns on Monday, Aug. 4th. My husband and I took our 4 children into the office with us, along with a neighbor who also had placed $15,000 down for earnest money, and told Keystone American our concerns. We communicated that we would not just sit there while Keystone American took our $15,000, not provide us with a new home and have us homeless living in a hotel for $500 a week. Keystone American came back with an offer for my husband and I to take pre-possession of the home however we would need to put $4,000 security deposit down and pay $2,000 a month for rent. We declined that offer.

Later that day we were informed that Keystone American was in fore closure on the homes and could never close escrow on the home we were purchasing. Later that week we were asked by the bank that is taking over the homes if we wanted to buy it when it foreclosed and went to auction in November. We would have to bid $1.00 higher than the bank and they would tell us what they were planning to bid for. No money has been refunded to us and we had to look for a least expensive place to live since the hotel and cost of food was becoming too costly. Plus, in addition to all of this our children were due to start school on Monday, and were enrolled in the school in the new subdivision. We have had to unenroll them from that school and place them back in their old school until we can obtain a more permanent residence.

We are out of $15,000 in earnest money, $500 (we will have to pay another $300+ for another temp. placement) for hotel costs and hundred of dollars out of food having to purchase eating out or buying food daily. My husband has had to take 2 weeks off from work due to this situation. Our family has been extremely stressed which has affected our health, caused a lack of sleep and anxiety in 2 of our children regarding the recent changes and the unknown of where we will be living.

My family and I bought a brand new home in Scottish Glen neighborhood 3 months ago. The builder is Keystone Homes. Since we bought the home, we have discovered that half of our house is not insulated, and our chase pan for our chimney is not large enough to protect from water. In result of this, we have extensive water damage in our 3-year-old daughter's room which has started growing mold and mildew. There is also water damage on our mantel which has now started taking on new shapes. My advice to you....DO NOT BUY A KEYSTONE HOME! They are throughout Scottish Glen, so beware!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Keystone Homes?

I purchased a new home. The builder is keystone homes. I have some warranty issues that need to be taken care of and have attempted to contact them by phone and e-mail with no reply. I would like to know what course of action to take.

Leaking roof and water damage to my garage which needs to be corrected asap.

I purchased a home in Murfreesboro TN. My closing was on 05/27/2005. I have several things wrong with my house that need to be repaired. Some items are minor and others are very costly. I have contacted the builder to get these items fixed, but am having no luck. After several attempts that got me nowhere I filed a complaint with the TN Department of Commerce and Insurance Board for Licensing Contractors. They reviewed the case and intern opened a case with TN Department of Commerce and Insurance Division of Consumer Affairs (CHAMP) and this department tried to contact the builder and mediate to get this items fixed. There was no response.

The CHAMP coordinator then sent out a TN inspector to come and see what was wrong with my property. They found numerous problems and attempted to contact the builder several more times after that still with no response. The case has been closed unsatisfactory due to no response from the builder as on 03/09/2005. The case will then be put back in the hands of TN Department of Commerce and Insurance Board for Licensing Contractors. They will review the case and see if there is misconduct on the builder’s part and maybe a formal hearing. They are unable to make the builder repair or replace anything. They can only fine him or suspend/pull his license. This is why I feel my next step is small claims court so I can get the items fixed.

My house is being ruined and is unfunctional.

Keystone Homes Company Profile