2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Keystone Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Keystone Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Keystone Homes?

Original review: June 22, 2020

Bought a Keystone Home In Brandywine Preserve that was Nine years old, many in neighborhood are original owners. 3 homes 7 years old Needed Roof Replaced, now at 10 years old 3 more are having roofs replaced. Almost every home needs a new roof. The material used has very little adhesive that doesn’t stick. Shingles not made for this area? Builder grade appliances all needed replacing. Not sure how most of construction passed code?

Original review: June 13, 2020

Not Environmentally Friendly. I purchased a townhome from Keystone 3 yrs ago. Adjacent to my subdivision I have watched Keystone clearcut a tract to build single family homes. Clear cutting was not necessary. It created less work for Keystone.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Dec. 19, 2019

We were contacted by the manager and he is sending us the paperwork to get our money back.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

We met with Keystone in September. After touring a few different home models we decided on the Nottingham Manor. At the time we were told a deposit of $15,000 was required to hold the lot. We had not been preapproved at this point yet, but were assured that would not be a problem as the money would be released if we were unable to get approved by a lender. There were some unexpected issues with my husband's credit and we have now had our application denied by two of Keystone's preferred lenders. We still have not had our money returned and everytime we call to determine the status we are told it is being worked on. It has been five weeks now since the most recent lender denied the loan application.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Very dissatisfied with the Keystone's warranty process. We have a wall in our bathroom that is not square and bowed out. Keystone refuses to fix the issue. If you buy a Keystone home, make sure to get everything fixed before you close on your property. If not, good luck trying to get it fixed.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Buyer beware!! Keystone wants to sell homes but does not live up to its statement of outstanding customer service. I have been trying to get my lawn fixed/repaired since moving in (May 23, 2017). Keystone has never responded to my letters, etc - only sending a couple of individuals out to basically do nothing. When initially installing my lawn they did not grade properly, along with not tilling out large rocks (I took over 3 full wheelbarrows of rocks the size of my feet), and putting no topsoil down.

The mesh that was put down was just put down over the weeds which then pushed the mesh up, which then had to be removed, as we could not mow, etc. When raised, this created large channels/gullies of water runoff. When the workers did come out, they also took out some large rocks, but did not fill in the holes, only putting some dirt from another construction site onto a small portion of my lawn. So now here I sit with numerous holes in my yard from rock extraction from the workers, large areas of my lawn without topsoil and numerous channels of water runoff, along with standing water from improper grading not allowing rainwater to properly runoff.

This is NOT a ‘grass is not warrantied’ issue, but an installation issue as grass needs a proper foundation to be able to grow and Keystone did not put in a proper foundation! This is how Keystone treats its customers after moving in. I have even filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau - and 3 weeks has gone by and still no response from Keystone!! Buyer Beware!!!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I bought a Keystone home. At the time I purchased the home certain repairs were supposed to be made. 2 years later the repairs have not been completed. The entire second floor is not level. They came and checked the floor and said it's not bad enough to fix. Guess what? There shouldn't be any leveling problem that shouldn't be addressed. Now I have to find a lawyer to sue them to fix it. Beware of Keystone Homes.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I built my house back in 2011 along with 25 other homes in a development in Honey Brook, PA. At some point throughout the last seven years high winds have come through the area and have blown off shingles and since it's only been a few nothing was really note-worthy. Recently on April 4th, 2018, a windstorm came through our development and damaged at least 11 homes and my home also received siding damage. With all of the neighbors filing claims with their homeowner's insurance companies, it has been brought to light that every contractor that has come out has said the builder and/or their contractor put the wrong shingles on our homes, they are not wind-bearing shingles.

Needless to say, you call Keystone and they won't return our calls. I don't know how I'm going to afford a new roof since I thought I built a home with a 20-year roof and I haven't even had it for seven years. I love my home and neighborhood but with all the other issues I've had in this house (since the furnace and air conditioner is "builder's grade" I've had those repaired three times in the last year and a half) we've seriously considered moving. I wish someone would answer the phone and help us out.

Original review: April 4, 2018

When I had Keystone build my home I pointed out several things wrong and was told they would fix them. Well almost 2 years later the issues have shown up that they didn't fix causing mold in my house and repairs that were done half-assed. The company supervisor build the master shower wrong causing it to leak the whole time. I had to take time off from work and provide the electric and water and gas for them to make repairs and this was during the holiday season so I had to redo all the holiday plans, the company to this day will not talk to me about these issues. I am getting ready to take them to court over all this and have the proof of their neglect and unwillingness to listen. I love my home but can't say the same of the company or their service. Think twice folks.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Fast build ends up in lousy marksmanship. Floor and wall noises and vibrations throughout the house. Little to none topsoil left for a lawn. For more info get here: https://www.facebook.com/KeystoneCustomHomesBeware/. Share it to help others!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

In 2007 I purchased my home from Keystone in Rolesville NC at the Hampton Lake community. The 3000 SQft home look great from the outside and the model home look splendid. I was sold on the same model as the showroom and hope for a wonderful new beginning. First troubling concern was that we were not allowed on the construction site without an advance authorization. The material used to build this $270k home was nothing different than what is used to build a trailer home. The structure (walls) shake throughout the house when walking on the lower level. Most walls (upstairs and downstairs) make loud squeaking noise when walking on the floor adjacent to the wall. It must be the cheap material and labor used to secure all the partitions. The warranty they offer would not send a qualified person to come fix the issue.

The problem was reported in my first 90 days report and multiple time after. Keystone never took care of the problem. Twice, I paid a $200 fees to the warranty company to have someone come and determine the problem. Twice I wasted my money because they sent incompetent people who had zero experience with home structures and couldn't help. I even offer to pay out of pocket for if they could provide me with a solution... But it seems that it fell into deaf ears. I advise anyone hunting for a house to stay away from Keystone home Builders. Their home quality is "zero". Their workmanship is "zero". Their after sale customer service is "zero". Their ability to be competitive is "zero". The material used are worth "zero". Their overall rating is "zero". If anyone is interested of seeing what I am talking about please call me at ** and I will show you my house and let you know why you should not buy from Keystone.

Keystone Homes author review by Joseph Truini

These home developers build one- and two-story single-family homes, quad homes and townhomes in the Greensboro, Burlington and Winston-Salem areas of North Carolina. Home buyers can build from the ground up or choose from already-built models for a quick move-in.

• Award-winning designs: Home buyers can select from dozens of buildable and already-built homes in north-central North Carolina.

• Locally-owned: Keystone Homes was founded in 1996 by locals to the Piedmont Triad.

• Customizable: Add sunrooms, lofts, studies and formal living or dining areas to floor plans. Other add-ons like gas log fireplaces, a kitchen island, large walk-in shower or double sink vanity are also available.

• Cost: Prices for new homes start around $147,000 and cap out at $500,000.

• Financing: 100% financing programs are available with competitive interest rates through local preferred loan officers, plus Keystone Homes partners with mortgage professionals and employs an in-house finance expert on call 24/7 for any related questions you might have.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Keystone Homes Company Information