2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Keystone Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Keystone Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Keystone Homes?

Original review: June 13, 2020

Not Environmentally Friendly. I purchased a townhome from Keystone 3 yrs ago. Adjacent to my subdivision I have watched Keystone clearcut a tract to build single family homes. Clear cutting was not necessary. It created less work for Keystone.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Very dissatisfied with the Keystone's warranty process. We have a wall in our bathroom that is not square and bowed out. Keystone refuses to fix the issue. If you buy a Keystone home, make sure to get everything fixed before you close on your property. If not, good luck trying to get it fixed.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I bought a Keystone home. At the time I purchased the home certain repairs were supposed to be made. 2 years later the repairs have not been completed. The entire second floor is not level. They came and checked the floor and said it's not bad enough to fix. Guess what? There shouldn't be any leveling problem that shouldn't be addressed. Now I have to find a lawyer to sue them to fix it. Beware of Keystone Homes.

Original review: April 4, 2018

When I had Keystone build my home I pointed out several things wrong and was told they would fix them. Well almost 2 years later the issues have shown up that they didn't fix causing mold in my house and repairs that were done half-assed. The company supervisor build the master shower wrong causing it to leak the whole time. I had to take time off from work and provide the electric and water and gas for them to make repairs and this was during the holiday season so I had to redo all the holiday plans, the company to this day will not talk to me about these issues. I am getting ready to take them to court over all this and have the proof of their neglect and unwillingness to listen. I love my home but can't say the same of the company or their service. Think twice folks.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

In 2007 I purchased my home from Keystone in Rolesville NC at the Hampton Lake community. The 3000 SQft home look great from the outside and the model home look splendid. I was sold on the same model as the showroom and hope for a wonderful new beginning. First troubling concern was that we were not allowed on the construction site without an advance authorization. The material used to build this $270k home was nothing different than what is used to build a trailer home. The structure (walls) shake throughout the house when walking on the lower level. Most walls (upstairs and downstairs) make loud squeaking noise when walking on the floor adjacent to the wall. It must be the cheap material and labor used to secure all the partitions. The warranty they offer would not send a qualified person to come fix the issue.

The problem was reported in my first 90 days report and multiple time after. Keystone never took care of the problem. Twice, I paid a $200 fees to the warranty company to have someone come and determine the problem. Twice I wasted my money because they sent incompetent people who had zero experience with home structures and couldn't help. I even offer to pay out of pocket for if they could provide me with a solution... But it seems that it fell into deaf ears. I advise anyone hunting for a house to stay away from Keystone home Builders. Their home quality is "zero". Their workmanship is "zero". Their after sale customer service is "zero". Their ability to be competitive is "zero". The material used are worth "zero". Their overall rating is "zero". If anyone is interested of seeing what I am talking about please call me at ** and I will show you my house and let you know why you should not buy from Keystone.

Original review: May 3, 2012

Our home was purchased in 2008 from Keystone Homes. The first weekend in our new home, it rained and the ceiling over the dining area began to leak. We had to place several buckets in that area. We called the office number and left a message. We were not contacted until that Saturday morning and was told someone would be out on the following Monday. The gentleman came in and conducted the worse, worse ceiling touch up ever. We continued to complain until someone came out to search out the reason the ceiling was leaking (they claimed a vent was left open but there are no vents at the top of the home. Then they stated it must have rained through the eave of the home). Finally we had no more issues with the leaking ceiling.

To our surprise, more continued to take place. After about six months, we decided to use our dishwasher. The dishwasher ran so loud that we had to scream to talk to each other when it is running. Needless to say, we have used the dishwasher maybe 10 times (5 years) since we have been in the home. When the heat or air condition is running, you need to put in ear plugs. We never received a call back in reference to the issues. Well, next we complained about the upstairs. When our children get into their shower upstairs, we are almost sure the tub is going to fall through the ceiling. Nail heads are popping through our walls and ceiling; we were told it was normal. The ceiling in the family area look like waves in the ocean; we were told that was normal as well.

We complained at the beginning of our move in of no linen closet upstairs or downstairs and we were assured it was. Needless to say, they sent us $200 to purchase a cabinet to place in the laundry room where there is no space to open the door. We were also told our backyard would be re-done, however to no avail to this day.

There is so much wrong with this home and for 5 years we have hoped to get a call back from the President of Keystone Homes; however, no success. We are very, very dissatisfied with our purchase yet with nowhere to go. If we thought an attorney would help us, yes, we would contact one. However, I feel there is nothing to do but to continue to pray for a move. Several neighbors and I have walked around our subdivision and notice poor placement of outside porch columns. One neighbor had hardwood floors put down and was told by the contractor that his steps had no brace under the steps and the steps could have collapsed. Several of our neighbors complained about the loud dishwashers and heating and air units. We were told it is because Keystone used the cheapest materials and that the home are not insulated well at all.

We moved from an old outdated home and dreamed of starting in a new home. Never did we experience these types of issues in the older home and I never dreamed we would experience such in a new home and after receiving good reviews about Keystone Homes. Many nights I cry about our purchase and as I stated earlier, I will pray until somethings happens.

Keystone Homes author review by Joseph Truini

These home developers build one- and two-story single-family homes, quad homes and townhomes in the Greensboro, Burlington and Winston-Salem areas of North Carolina. Home buyers can build from the ground up or choose from already-built models for a quick move-in.

• Award-winning designs: Home buyers can select from dozens of buildable and already-built homes in north-central North Carolina.

• Locally-owned: Keystone Homes was founded in 1996 by locals to the Piedmont Triad.

• Customizable: Add sunrooms, lofts, studies and formal living or dining areas to floor plans. Other add-ons like gas log fireplaces, a kitchen island, large walk-in shower or double sink vanity are also available.

• Cost: Prices for new homes start around $147,000 and cap out at $500,000.

• Financing: 100% financing programs are available with competitive interest rates through local preferred loan officers, plus Keystone Homes partners with mortgage professionals and employs an in-house finance expert on call 24/7 for any related questions you might have.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Keystone Homes Company Information