Need a home warranty?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.48/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Trulia Reviews

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Tulia real estate company called me about purchasing my first, FHA home. They sent me to a lady they said was great named Vicky **. I later found out she was working with her husband as a team. They never told me they were working for both me, the buyer and also the seller and listing agent whom they never mentioned. They said it was a single man that owned the home when it was Sandbar Holding company LLC an investment company that purchased a foreclosure home a year before and hid all the problems. They purchased it for $106,000 and sold it to me for $176,500 a year later.

A week after I moved in I hired my own inspector to find out there was wood rot, broken sir and heat that was suppose to be new and damaged water pipes under the house. I am a senior citizen and have been on SSI for a disability for over 12 years. They never told me who they represented and outright lied. Sold me a worthless piece of property that floods every time it sprinkles and back yard has all clay and no wood. 25 other illegal issues I was directly lied to about. They hid so many things from me. I never found out it was a foreclosure and flipped house and that they worked for other side. They got 3 to 4 commission fees in one closing.

They broke the law that says my real estate agent must send me the title insurance, disclosure statement and appraisal three days before closing. They would never give me a copy before and at closing. There was so much fraud I reported them to the FBI. Tom and Vicky ** and Trulia, who recommended them are the worst company and agents. I and my lawyer that I retained said they were horrible and made errors worthy of losing their licenses. Such con artist and they have been in huge financial mess themselves. By far the worst experience I have ever had with any company. Trulia who referred them and the agents themselves lied the entire time breaking the law in several places.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

In my opinion Trulia does more harm than good for some properties hoping to list. Trulia doesn't keep up with the times, they do not update the properties on their web page that have been greatly improved, therefore undermining real estate values for that property. A perfect example is **, in Cumming Georgia. This property has been completely revamped in every category to the tune of 50K+ yet Trulia has no clue.

Get expert buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

The person that contacts you is not the realtor listing the property. The people that contact you call theirselves buying agents. They get commissions from the listing agent and any lender they can hook you up with. No better than realtor.com.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I applied for apartment with Trulia. They said the landlord received my application. I emailed landlord about my application. I was told they have no connections or ties with Trulia. They are scam artists. Stay away...I would give zero stars but had no choice but to give them one.

Original review: June 18, 2019

A homeowner has no control to change the post on Trulia. So after you buy a home, the images of inside your home is stuck on there. You can’t learn this from their help forum easily because it’s filled with credit scammers using it to spam advertising. Honestly I have a hard time understanding how Trulia exists legally. It’s clearly promoting scams and removing privacy protection for homeowners.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trulia?

Original review: April 1, 2019

I asked if a house was still available. They were evasive, rude, and pushy about looking into other properties but wouldn't say if it was sold. Never did find out if it was available, but won't be using them again.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Gave my SSN# and paid 29.99 for a hard pull credit check to apply for leasing a property listed on their website. Filled out personal info towards the rental application then all they do is continue to send you the same listings that you can view without filling out ** or giving your personal info or credit check.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been trying for over 2 months to find a rental in the Phoenix area. I contacted many rental place mostly private owned and got no response to my inquiries. So needless to say I am very frustrated with this site. A lot of realtors started (managing) properties after the bad market in 2008. Now the market is great and they are not handling the rental properties well. I had one property owner that was very shady asking me for my bank statements. (No thank you) I had no good experiences with this site.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I purchased my home in 2002 and have been living in the same house since then. I recently decided to look up previous sales on my home and came across an erroneous sale on my home in 2011 on Trulia and Zillow. I contacted both Zillow and Trulia, and Zillow immediately took down the sale after checking with our local country records. Trulia, well that was a very different experience. I was told by Trulia customer service that "these pieces of data are collected and aggregated by these third party data providers through bulk batches containing millions of data points at one time." They don't enter, edit or update any of the information on their site nor do they know who these third party data providers are.

This is scary because anyone can enter a bogus sale for your home or mistakenly apply a real sale to the wrong house on some site, and it could appear on Trulia. The sad news is that you can't ever fix it because Trulia can't track where the data comes from. The sale could be less than half of what your house is worth and bring down your home's and neighborhood's value - which is what happened to us. Now, they cannot remove this fictitious sale on my house.

This site should be taken down until they get their house in order. They are sharing information that is readily available to the public about private properties and their data should be pristine. They should absolutely know where their data comes from, be able to track the source of every data element on their site, and have a process for removing inaccurate information ASAP. I would urge all property owners to check your property's information on Trulia to ensure you don't run into issues when selling or refinancing your home.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My husband and I were misled by the communications of Alex **, Trulia's 1st Contact Rep. I requested information about a particular home for sale and immediately received a text from Alex **. She inquired when she could phone about the property and confirmed that we were interested in buying. I clearly communicated that my husband was in Lawrenceburg, IN, for business and would like to schedule a viewing of the home for Thursday evening between 5 - 7 pm. I sent a follow-up text thanking her for scheduling the viewing. She confirmed that she would phone my husband at 5:30 pm.

To our surprise, when she phoned at 5:30, she merely connected my husband to a male rep (who was not an agent) and then hung up. Within seconds, my husband learned from the man that the home was already under contract and not even available for viewing. Alex ** misled us with her confirmation of our request and wasted our time. She knew through clear texting communication that we were expecting to view the home and instead merely connected my husband to an individual who was not even an agent who then confirmed there was no viewing scheduled. The home is not even available. The man did, however, try to drum up business on other homes, knowing, of course, that the property we inquired about was unavailable. Due to the misrepresentation and unprofessionalism of Trulia's 1st Contact Rep, we cannot recommend Trulia, nor would we transact any further communication with their representatives.

Trulia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Trulia launched in 2005 and is operated by the Zillow Group. The company focuses on providing neighborhood information to house hunters and renters, but it also has features to help real estate professionals. Consumers can access Trulia online or by using the company’s iOS or Android app. The site lists both properties that are for sale and for rent.

• Neighborhood information: Property listing pages tell interested homebuyers what restaurants, grocery stores, entertainment venues, shopping districts and parks are near the home. The website can also display local reviews of those establishments.

• Crime data: Each property listing on Trulia shows information about crime reported in the neighborhood. Users can browse reports by date or view them on a map. Data comes from SpotCrime.com and CrimeReports.com.

• Commute estimate: Individuals concerned with the time it will take them to get to work can use Trulia’s commute calculator. The calculator can show the estimated time for driving, walking or biking as well as public transportation options.

• Request information: Interested buyers or renters can easily request information about a listed property from the listing page. Their contact information will be sent to one of Trulia’s partner real estate agents, who pay to be listed on the site. Consumers can use the same form to request financing information.

• Trulia resource: Homebuyers and renters will all find the Trulia website helpful. The Trulia Community section allows users to ask and answer real estate related questions, and the company’s blog has informational and news articles about real estate.

• Best for: Trulia is best for homebuyers and renters who want information about the neighborhoods in which a listed property is located.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs