1.36/5

Winchester, VA

100 Trex Composite Decking Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2015

This product is so expensive yet so disappointing. It gets so hot you can not stand on it and it is also discoloring which I discovered from other reviews is mold. The deck is only 2 years old!!

Original review: July 2, 2015

I noticed last year there was some black staining. So I washed the deck and this year, it's worse. It appears to be mold. What is the remedy? It was sold as maintenance free and a lifetime materials warranty. Material was ordered through and installed by Lowe's in Wentzville MO.

Original review: June 10, 2015

We bought our home with a big beautiful deck made of Trex. It was one of the reasons we bought the home. Now 7 years later the whole thing is starting to peel. We were told to sand and seal it. It didn't work. Now what? It is not like wood. How do we fix this without replacing the entire thing?

Original review: June 1, 2015

When I lived in NC I ordered and spent thousands of dollars for Trex Decking for my pool and entertainment area. After two years it warped in 3 areas and also was not told that the material gets so hot that it burns your feet... not very enjoyable and in some spots there was mold. I called the manufacturer and he wanted me to check on the boards for the number/code and told him "I can't check every board for a white sticker with a number" and told him "I have the receipt which shows Lowe's delivered the material (over $5,000.)" He said he can't help me and to have a Lowe's manager take a look at the damage. He was rude and curt.

Will never, ever recommend Trex... per my niece, not recommended for children. Had to buy an area outdoor rug for them. Horrible! I purchased this in 2009 from Lowe's in Shallotte, NC. I lived at ** Ocean Isle Beach, NC. I hired a contractor to fix the warp section and a professional commercial cleaning crew to get rid of the mold which cost me a few hundred dollars and sold my home in July 2013. (All my paperwork/receipts are with the new homeowners.) Again will voice mine and my nieces' experience with Trex Decking...never again!

Original review: May 27, 2015

Do not buy TREX composite decking. We thought we were buying a product that would last. After 5 years the boards are badly faded and the surface is disintegrating. It will not be long before we have to replace the TREX decking as it is turning to sawdust. This is an expensive product that does not deliver on its promises. Stay away! Avoid like the plague. Do not go near this stuff at any price. It's garbage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?

Original review: May 11, 2015

We installed TREX decking 3 years ago on our floating deck (it's above torch on). We were advised by TREX that this would be fine. The boards came warped. The Trex Rep told us they would settle down in a short time. They continued to worsen and the TREX rep came after 1.5 years and told us it was the support structure that was warping not the TREX boards even though we showed them the pictures of the warped boards prior to install. It has now been three years and we have spent countless hours talking circles with the TREX people. They are TERRIBLE to deal with. We are going to remove the TREX material and throw it out.... Please do not install this crap on your deck.... It's a waste of money.

Original review: May 11, 2015

We have had our Trex Decking for 2 years. The first time it rained after the decking was installed, we had water running into our basement. We contacted our contractor and he came back and cut off some of the post so the deck has a slight incline for the water to run off. That did help the problem of the water running into our basement however, now when it rains the water pools on the deck and it looks like a swamp. We have to take a broom and sweep off the standing water. Very unhappy with this expensive decking and not sure how to correct this problem.

Original review: April 30, 2015

We had our dream deck built out of Trex material. The summer after it was built the materials became warped, cracked and stained. It is not safe to walk on. We had benches put around the edges of the deck and they have all tilted outward. I suspect the benches will eventually fall off completely. I cannot believe this deck material is sold in the U.S. I expected more from my $15k. What a waste.

Original review: April 18, 2015

Our dock builder recommends Trex. No showroom in the area. We order $70 worth of samples, choose our colors, and we pay postage to return the samples. Trex refuses to credit. We are online to buy $25,000 worth of product. Trex has no business ethic towards the "right" way to treat a potential customer. Time to check out the competition. Sad and their ego will define their future.

Original review: April 10, 2015

We installed ourselves square Trex decking with screws on the floor of our west facing covered porch 10 years ago. The only regular "cleaning" is sweeping the snow off it. We had replaced the painted tongue and groove pine flooring on this porch twice before. The Trex has not stained, but has faded in color slightly and evenly. Looks good. There is no wear. We are very happy with Trex and had planned to replace our large open pressure treated back deck with Trex. Now am wondering if Trex only lasts under a covered porch.

Original review: April 2, 2015

We purchased some Trex decking from Trinity Lumber in Weaverville Ca. They spoke highly of the materials and I'm not sure why they did.The decking was a nightmare from the start and Trex didn't honor the warranty. When our Decking expert installed it, It was only two months when the boards shrunk, twisted and destroyed many of the Trex screws we purchased with the product. They boast of a 25 year warranty. My mother called them and eventually a trex representative came out and told my mom that it was all her fault. She should of used different screws than the ones trex recommended. They change out books every year so they can warrant not honoring the warranty.

Our neighbor who purchased the trex product has black mold all over the decking after just a year, and the bottom seems to be deteriorating. I don't know if the mold makes you sick, but the person has been having health problems. This is garbage and the company should be ashamed as anyone who knowingly endorses this junk. It really is that bad. Let others know.

Original review: March 18, 2015

I had a deck built in 2002 and at least one half of the Trex has discolored with permanent black stains, despite frequent scrubbing and pressure washing. It looks horrible. I had looked forward to a maintenance free deck.

Original review: March 7, 2015

I saved for 2 years to have a 2nd story deck replaced. I was very excited to have my old rotting deck replaced with Trex composite decking. However I quickly realized the decking created a completely different problem I never dreamed I would have. With even a slight breeze a loud whistling noise comes from the deck. When a storm system dipped down from the north it did not stop whistling for 3 days! It is so loud it wakes up everyone in the household at night and all our bedrooms are located on the other side of the house.

I called Trex and they recognized the whistling problem with the decking with the hidden fasteners because of the curved edges. I was told the decking with the square edges that don't have the hidden fasteners does not have the issue. She checked with the Trex engineers who had no recommendations for a remedy. She told me about an under mount rain catch system that might help but it has to be installed before the deck is installed. She also said if it was on the ground level they recommend planting shrubbery around the deck. This is a second story deck so that is not possible for me. I told her Trex should place a warning or give consumers information on this problem and Trex should offer to install the square edged boards for me at no additional cost. In short Trex offered me no resolution and no assistance to this very real and very loud problem.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2015

We spent over $50,000 on a gigantic Trex deck. Bottom line the deck has disintegrated.... We were offered $890 in a settlement. The new product is no better. You are warned. As a Realtor, builder, and property manager I can attest that others have fared worse. Do not use Trex. You are much better off with a "natural" product. Sawdust and glue does not last. Again, you are warned.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

Our TREX decking was installed two years ago. Within a few months, it started showing black spots - ugly ALLOVER black gunk. It wouldn't scrub off, so I contacted the company. After a series of complaints, they sent someone out to clean it, which killed all the plants surrounding the deck. The black gunk came back. We then realized there is an ongoing lawsuit against TREX, which we applied to. We were sent a check for $125, which in no way covers either a cleaning or gives us any relief. This is MOLD - MOLD is deadly!! I now hesitate walking on it, letting my grand kids or my dogs near it, and my Expensive! Deck is totally useless and looks disgusting. DO NOT BUY TREX. They do not stand behind their product! All we've gotten is a runaround or they ignore us.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

I had a wood deck removed and replaced with a Synthetic Trex Deck which was the top of the line (most expensive) decking material available from Trex. I selected a Gold Pro installer (who has now been elevated to Platinum level). The deck was installed improperly, using nails instead of the screws required by Trex. The boards began to pop soon after the install. The steps did not line up, and were uneven. The posts were not perpendicular, and instead were slanted. There were shims put in each of the spaces to try to level the uneven steps. He did not stagger the boards, and left weak spots that sagged in the middle of the deck. After contacting TREX, the installer sent another man out to replace some of the nails with screws. He only replaced the ones that were popping out, so many new boards are popping. The screws were also silver screws which are not the recommended screws for the decking. They are not flush with the boards. I sent the photos to TREX, and although the rep from TREX agreed with me via email, TREX continued to keep the installer at the GOLD level....and now Platinum.

Obviously the TREX rating is completely dependent on the amount of material an installer purchases, and has no connection to the satisfaction of the clients. DO NOT TRUST their installer ratings. Every time I walk out on my new deck, I hate it... and think negatively about TREX. I have asked other contractors to correct the mistakes, and nobody will touch it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

When looking to get Trex decking installed at my house I found on the Trex website that they list certain contractors as "TrexPro", and the one I chose, Custom Design Group, had a TrexPro Gold title. They are given some form of training on how to properly install Trex products. My expectation with choosing someone who was advertised on the Trex website as a "Pro" was that this was someone who would install the Trex deck and recessed lighting in the manner described in the Trex installation manuals, and that this person would conduct themselves professionally. What actually happened was shortly after the deck and recessed lighting was installed, I had boards that were popping out of place due to screws breaking in half due to not having proper spacing between planks, and lights that stopped working at all because they were not installed according to the Trex installation manual. The worst part of all this is that we have had to chase this guy for six months to get him to resolve these issues. He has stated that he refuses to install the materials according to the specs provided by Trex.

When I contacted Trex they basically refused to get involved, even though one of their own "TrexPro Gold" contractors is installing their product improperly. I am left with a $9000.00 deck that has boards buckling and lighting that doesn't work at all. The lighting was installed as a safety feature for my partner who is legally blind, but the contractor doesn't seem to care that a handicapped person is in a more difficult situation because of his neglect of his work. I did not order the decking personally so I have no order number. Custom Design Group has all the purchasing information.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

Had Trex installed in our remodel in 2003. Decking was south facing in UT mountains. In about 2010 I noticed the decking was turning to sawdust. At this time I became aware of the lawsuit and started to become part of the lawsuit. I read all these comments and became discouraged and quit the process until this summer when I took pictures and became very active in seeking a solution for my deck. This is not about mold or discoloration. Only the disintegration of the decking. Well I'm looking at my check from Trex for $4,293.91. Good luck to you all. Persistence pays off!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

Bought Trex in 2005 and didn't keep the receipts for very long and although I was pleased at the onset, it wasn't long before I started learning about the problems everyone was having. So many people that had bought Trex from the dealer were complaining and filing a lawsuit. The business that sold the product filed bankruptcy and went out of business. I will never buy nor endorse this product, again. Going back to cedar.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

We had Trex decking installed 9 years ago as we were advised that it would last for at least the 25 years it was warrantied for. All the boards are a different color now and at least half of them are crumbling on the top surface. Our installer contacted Dick's Lumber, who supplied the boards, and he was told to contact Trex Canada directly. Trex Canada basically told him they couldn't honor the warranty and he would have to contact the parent company in the USA. No luck there as they never responded to his calls and emails. We can't afford to sue Trex so we have no recourse but to have another company pull the boards, install plywood flooring and fiberglass the whole thing.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2014

Swelling like particle board on the ends makes little ski jumps on the end cuts from the moisture outside. I am very disappointed in the product and would not install it again. So far Trex is saying this is in spec. So sad, too bad. My summary, I think it is recycled junk.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

Bought Trex decking 2012, I believe had it installed! I have the material receipts! I have to check date! The next summer the part of the deck exposed to sun had become sort of gray colored (was dark brown) and mottled spots appeared on it and the steps, as well! There are other lighter spots on other sections of the deck, too! We do have green mold growth, but it seems to wash off and forms in areas where the deck doesn't get any sun (close to the house!). The whole situation makes me angry, we have $5000 invested in just the materials for the lower deck!

Thankfully we didn't do the upper deck with trex material! When I contacted Trex, I was told there is a certain amount of fading to be expected! The advertisement says no fading! I wasn't aware of a class action lawsuit, but would be interested in making a formal complaint with Trex, although it doesn't sound like I would receive any monetary satisfaction from Trex! Trex was purchased at Lowes, so I know the transaction can be traced!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2014

DON’T BUY TREX Decking! Several years ago we decided to spend the extra money and put in a Trex deck when we replaced our old deck, thinking it would be the last time we'd have to replace it. After just a few years the "wood" started disintegrating. We were told there was an acknowledged defect and they would be settling with us. The settlement amounted to sending us more of this crap and very little compensation for the building of the deck, exactly $143.00, which in no way covers having the deck rebuilt and probably doesn't cover the screws. Since then we've decided we don't want any more of this decking so their offer to us is to give us half of what we paid for the original decking. I want everyone to know what a horrible company it is. There must be so many families who cannot afford to have their deck rebuilt, or are no longer able to rebuild it themselves.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

4 years ago, our condo association invested $350K in decks & stairs of our 6 buildings. We chose a Trex product because of their warranty and durability to the Florida climate. Black stain/mold and mildew built up and even with their recommended cleaning instructions, it did not get clean. We filed a formal customer complaint in the summer of 2013, and promptly rejected. Shortly thereafter, we were informed of the class action lawsuit -- WE WERE NOT ALONE!! We followed the NEW cleaning instructions and followed the rules to participate in the class action lawsuit to apply for Tier 3.

The new cleaning instructions required bleaching of the Trex boards. So the black stain came out temporarily, but now the boards are discolored. We filed 160+ photos of all the cleaning stages, sample of the Trex board for the testing, and all the forms filled out, copies of receipts, etc. Response: Rejected. Went back again thru our lawyers, Response: Rejected. How do we find out the recipients of the class action lawsuit? Or was the class action suit just a farce, and no one was reimbursed or settled with fairly? Trex will regret alienating so many consumers...

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

After 3 years, the dark surface looks as if it was hit with buckshot down to the beige core. Rep told me to wash, gave me the cleaner. Claims said that this was how it was to look, added texture to boards. Rep thought this warranty issue. Claims stated that unless boards wrap, not covered. Saved piece of original board and beige core does not show through dark finish. I was the first in area to use their new finish. Need a second deck. Any alternative company? Want a low maintenance finish. Anyone successful with Trex claim rep?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2014

We built our deck out of Trex about 5 years ago. What an expensive mistake! It has faded horribly and stains and scratches very easily. If you move a chair you have a scratch. We entered the class action suit but got nothing. We were told we didn't supply enough evidence regarding the cleaning of the deck, which in looking at the forms has more to do with the mold/mildew issue than the fading. Nevertheless, the photos and sample pieces of decking that were left over that we had in a storage building and a small piece of the decking that has been exposed was not enough for Trex to stand behind their product. Why the settlement is being administered by Trex and not by a neutral party is beyond me. Of course Trex will not reimburse consumers for their own defective product! Never again will we use Trex products and we will be sure to advise anyone we hear of that may be interested in composite decking to look at other brands. Trex should be ashamed!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2014

When I had my Flex Deck color picked out, I then hired a professional Contractor to install it as instructions instructed. In only a few months, I noticed spots on my deck. They were ugly and very surprising to me. I called the Trex Company about it. They were not at all concerned. Of course they tried to blame it on me and my cleaning procedure. I tried again their same cleaning instructions. Then I sent pictures of the deck with spots and color fading areas. I could not keep it looking proper. Time and time again, I called to ask what the problem could be. Help!!! My Trex deck is ruined and an eye sore. So, Please choose another product.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2014

Installed deck spring of 2013. Cleaned in May of 2014, spots appeared, contacted Trex and asked for some help in identifying and cleaning the spots. They referred me to the cleaning portion of their website. When I said that was no help they said I may have a warranty claim and sent me the paperwork. Significant details of when, where, lot, numbers (requires boards to be removed). Not sure how to get any corrective action, as I cannot meet their warranty requirements. The boards may last 25 years, but turn ugly early!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2014

Trex advertised its product to remain beautiful and maintenance free. That is the lie of the century. I installed Trex 14 years ago and right from the beginning, we had problems. The red hanging plants stained the deck when the flowers started to fall, BBQ cookouts left stains that could not be cleaned and worse of all, the gap between each sheet closed in. There is "0" gap now so the dirt is trapped in the deck. The Trex deck is so awful to look at no matter how you clean it. So their advertising of how beautiful a Trex deck is should be trashed.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

I have contacted them about huge mold issues to no avail. They have to be the worst run company I have ever encountered. Our low to no maintenance deck has become the biggest nightmare. We have cleaned it over and over and this is what it looks like just 11 weeks after cleaning it. They state they do not warranty against mold yet they had a class action lawsuit just last year. If anyone is as angry as I am, please feel free to contact me. I will get resolve and would love to help others as well.

Trex Composite Decking Company Information