2. Miscellaneous

Winchester, VA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Trex Composite Decking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trex Composite Decking?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I had a Trex Deck installed at my house and I love it. I've had it for a year and it looks brand new. It's easy to clean I just hose it off. No splinters for my two year old who plays on it all the time.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I built a deck for my client and used the Trex Enhance Railing system. After two weeks of being installed my customer called me to complain that there were black lines appearing on the rails. After inspecting, the lines are actually made up of small pit marks in the finish of the rail. They were not visible when installing, but once exposed to the elements and rain, began to appear. I contacted the local sales rep who quickly referred me to the corporate claims and gave me the number. Claims was very helpful up to the point where I said the material was already installed. From that point on sent me ways to refinish/hide the pit marks. They would not allow the area sales rep to inspect the product, as that is not their job and they did not have any other representation in the area that could physically inspect the rails.

My first set of pictures I sent Trex claimed they could not see what I was talking about, so a second set of pictures was sent, this time they acknowledged the pitting, but did not recognize it as a manufacturing defect, so denied my request to replace. The pictures show a consistent wear/pitting pattern, but they still were insistent that I use one of the methods previously sent to hide the pitting. They did not stand behind their warranty in this instance either. I build between 6 and 10 decks per year and will no longer use or recommend any Trex product. As I told the claims rep, the cost for Trex to replace the 6 top rails would be far less than the future sales they are going to lose.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

The Trex brand of decking is nice environmentally and I give them full credit for their innovation. The decking we bought has faded a great deal over the last 5 years. Partial credit for this may be from myself in cleaning windows with a window cleaner that may have gotten on the boards. There is also a good deal of sunshine hitting the boards for long periods of time. There has been some warping, but again a great variation in temperature and weather. It has endured with no flaking and is pleasant to walk on. Wish I had looked at care instructions prior to buying as it would probably have not faded as much. Judith **

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Have not installed my decking yet. I purchased from Home Depot back on July 10 2019. Delivery was to be at the end of July but was pushed back to August 5. I went to Home Depot on the 7th. They called their distributor and found out that delivery was changed to Sept 24. I called Trex myself to complain and they acted like they didn't care. I said I might go with another product and the lady on the phone said, "Do what you gotta do sir." I guess they are making too much money to worry about customer service.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I wish I had read this reviews before installing my $15,000 (just in materials) deck. Boards popping off, screws breaking off and much more. Spoke with Trex who advised me it was not installed properly!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Can’t even begin to say how disappointing- thousands spent and the clam shell colored gray decking even arrived scratched- you rub anything even remotely hard on it and it scratches. Very disappointed given the cost of the product.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Last year summer I bought the railings system by Trex. After 12 months it's falling apart. The screws are coming off, bottom is going down even I installed mid section support. Horrible product, wasted $$$$. Stay away from that product.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I have had my Trex deck about 2 months. It is virtually impossible to keep clean, even if you don't walk on it. Today I went out with a soft bristle brush and warm soapy water per the cleaning instructions and scrubbed my entire 400 sq. ft deck. I waited for it to dry and it still doesn't look clean and as my dogs walked across it, it left paw prints, which I immediately tried to sweep and then simply hose off, without success. So the only way to keep it clean is to scrub it with warm soapy water every time it gets dirt on it. I live in the country. It's dusty and muddy and dirty. My old wooden deck was painted and lasted 30 years. I could just go out and sweep most of the dirt off and hose most everything else.

The only time I needed to scrub anything was when I'd spill something greasy. I hope this Trex deck lasts as long as my wood deck, but reading these reviews I am doubtful and it certainly won't look as nice. I can also tell you it's not just Trex. I installed a different brand on my front porch and it is just as bad. I went with Trex on the back deck because it seemed to be better quality. I am very disappointed in this product and composite decking in general. Stick with wood.

Original review: June 27, 2019

We spent the money on composite Trex based on the maintenance free and durability claims. It started to cup and fail within 12 months and is a big waste of money! Please stay away from this product!!!!

Original review: June 8, 2019

I wished I could have found this review site prior to purchasing and installing my $15000 Trex deck - Feb 2019. I was lured by the durability and lack of maintenance as advertised. However, after installation, I realized that it is more difficult to remove dirt footprints off the Trex decking than off of regular wood decks. I have scrubbed on knees, power washed the deck three times and followed the customer service step by step instructions with no success. After the deck dries, the dirt footprints remain. What plastic material retains dirt? The customer service says that Trex warranty only food and beverage stain. However, the Trex website even shows a video on how to easily clean off dirt and even concrete off their supposedly easy to clean deck material. I am filing a consumer reports complaint that Trex is false advertising and not standing behind their products. If anyone else have further advise for a class action, please let us all know.

Trex Composite Decking Company Information